4.1/5 (193 ratings)

About Lifeline

Lifeline, formerly known as Philips Lifeline, offers medical alert systems and monitoring services. Its equipment can use either a landline or cellular connection, depending on the model you choose. AutoAlert fall detection is also included with some models. However, there are upfront costs for activation and installation, even if you choose to install your system on your own.

Pros

• Waterproof buttons
  • Multiple location technologies
  • Fall detection may be included

Cons

• Upfront costs
  • Cancellation fees

Bottom Line

Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. There is no long-term commitment. However, there are one-time fees for activation and installation in addition to the monthly rate.

Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

I don’t wear the device because I can't stand things hanging around my neck. I had one before that you wear on your wrist, and I wore it. I haven't had to use the Lifeline device. It's just been sitting here plugged in but I've called whoever makes this a couple of times. I just want to check to make sure it's working.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Once in a while, the Lifeline device would be hit by something, especially in my kitchen and the very nice man and I got to the point where he would ask if I was in the kitchen again. I'm over 90 so I don't drive a car anymore and I don't do too much by myself. I was 80 when I started with it. I like having it in the shower and I feel very safe. I always carry my cellphone but I could push a button too. The device is convenient but I hated having it around my neck. I quite often put it in my pocket. I would recommend Lifeline for anyone but I never had to use the device and I gave it up.

Lifeline response

Thank you so much for your positive review. Please know that if you consider the Lifeline device again, we will be here when you need us.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

I ordered Lifeline service on 8/29/22 and was told it would ship in 4 weeks. It is now 7 weeks later and I am told it has still not shipped and they don't seem to be able to give me any info on when it may be shipped.

Lifeline response

Joann, thank you for sharing your experience. I am looking into your equipment and why it has been delayed. I will work with a supervisor to get this expedited for you. I am sorry for the delay you have experienced.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

I like Lifeline. Sometimes I'm doing something and I hit the button, and they say, “Mary, you need help?” Usually, they contact my daughter because she's the one that they talk to after they talk to me. I wear my cord around the neck but when I go out somewhere, I don't take it with me because it doesn't do anything when I'm out there. Overall, this device is wonderful for me. It'd be good for anybody. I'm very satisfied with it.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

I'm glad I have Lifeline. If I fall, I got something on me to call in. I'll push that button and I'll be safe. I'm so used to it now that I don't even think about it. However, I don't like the chain. I wish it had a prettier chain. The device doesn't go very far too. I can go to my mailbox and back or to my garden and back. But it doesn't do anything for me if I'm gonna go downtown.

Lifeline response

Lotte, thank you for your review. If you are looking for device options that allow you to go anywhere, may I suggest the On-the-Go button. This button will allow you to travel outside of your home and has GPS options that if you are ever in need of assistance, we are able to locate you and get you the help that you need. This button may be more expensive than your current option. Please give our customer service line a call for assistance with your options. The number is 1-800-635-6156. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

With Lifeline, I got somewhere I can call if I need it. I feel more at ease.

Lifeline response

Neva, Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Please know that we are here when you need us.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

Lifeline has been very good. I've had to speak with the reps on a couple of occasions and everything has been satisfactory. The response time is immediate. The device is easy to wear. I've recommended it to a lot of friends because it's important for people who live alone.

Lifeline response

Louise, thank you for your review and recommending to your friends. Please know we are here when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

Every now and then, I give my device a test. They answer promptly. I'm very much in favor of people who live alone having a device like this. It's a reassuring thing to have in the house and wearing the little signal button is no problem. It can blend in your clothes.

Lifeline response

Julia, thank you for your kind review. We appreciate and value your thoughts. Please know we are here when you need us.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

I canceled my Lifeline device several months ago because I'm not satisfied with the way the reorganized company has been administering it. The device had a strange lanyard compared to before. The one that Philips was using was quite simple. You put it around your neck and there's no problem. The one that the new organization gave had to be adjusted every time you put it on and off. That was quite annoying. And the device was much too sensitive, originally. I was getting too many false alarms.

All the people were pleasant but right now, I'm not happy with the service, because I'm being billed. I spoke last week with one of Lifeline’s reps about reversing an error charging my account, and I have not seen the credit yet. Another reason why I left was because I was furious when Lifeline increased the monthly rates without prior notice. That was such an unreasonable practice by the new company. It shows that they're not sophisticated enough to know that you would advise customers beforehand. You just don't increase their monthly charge.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I have called but have not received the alert system. I am in need because my husband has passed away, 8 months later my son passed away, then 2 years later my only other son passed away. There is no one to help me so I thought this would help me if I fall because I am by myself. I called and was told it was ready for shipment.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Mother recently discharged from hospital. Suffered a major stroke - paralysis & aphasia. That same night she fell out of her hospital bed. NO CALL was made to Lifeline. Luckily I had installed a camera and when I checked in I could see she was on the floor. When I called Lifeline, they said that it only detects falls from a STANDING position and a minimum of 4 feet height. NO ONE told me this when I signed up and there is NO reference to this on their website. Not all falls happen in a standing position. Scenarios like trying to get out of bed for the toilet in the middle of the night, or getting some water or food or just rolling off. Even getting up from a chair reaching for a walker will NOT trigger a call. Calls will NOT be made in these scenarios.

Luckily I had the foresight to set up a camera and at bedtime I checked in and found her out of bed and on the floor with her arms flailing around. I had to call 911. Sorry, but I got this for peace of mind and for fall alerts - of which none of these I got. I live almost 3 hours away and although she should be in a LTC facility, she demands to be home. So this was to help me, being a distance and her most of all. Very very disappointing. Depending on your situation, please consider the height and bed scenario - else it's a useless tool.

When I first got the device, I gave specific instructions that my mother suffered from aphasia. Yet when she got Covid the next day, and was sent back to hospital, she kept pressing the button (confused due to some meds), and Lifeline called me saying they can't understand what she's saying. I told them to LOOK at the INSTRUCTIONS/her profile and her inability to speak (aphasia) vs. complaining they can't understand her.

Sorry, I don't like to give bad reviews, but when I really needed this to detect a fall and call on my behalf, they failed. I shouldn't have had to rely on my camera. I guess it was good that I had a backup system, but I shouldn't have had to in the first place. So you're either sitting, lying down or standing. Lifeline will only work in one of these 3 scenarios. Please consider this before proceeding. Cameras is not the best solution, but an add-on for peace of mind. God bless - I hope you don't ever need such a device.

Lifeline response

Jacqueline, Thank you for providing your valuable feedback. I am sorry for your mother's experience with the Lifeline unit. I have sent your concern to a supervisor and someone will be in touch with you to discuss.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

I tried to get the device connected again, but it's not connected.

Lifeline response

Ellen, Thank you for providing this feedback. I apologize for you experiencing a delay in receiving your equipment. I will have a supervisor reach out and speak with you regarding your delay in receiving equipment. Also, I will work on getting this expedited for you as well.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

I have not used the Lifeline device but the quality and the comfort are good so far. Somebody recommended to me, which was why I got it. So, she was very pleased and I'm okay also.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Last month, I lost my bill so, I sent a check to Lifeline for the amount. I didn't have any receipt and I hope they got it. I applied twice for it to be automatically drawn out of my checking account but Lifeline has never done a thing about it. I've had it now for a year. Still, my experience with them has been good. I feel more reassured that if something would happen, I could get ahold of somebody. I haven’t fallen since I got it. But I got it and I’m happy with it.

Lifeline response

Marie, thank you for providing your valuable feedback. I will have someone call you to confirm that the payment was received in addition to they can help set you up with autopay. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

I have the neck chain and if I happen to hit that right and it calls it, then it will respond to me. It's always answered whenever I happened to hit it. I used to try to call in every month and make sure it was working, and it would always connect me. The device is right here in the house. It would be heard in here if I was outside. It doesn't go that far though. My lot is 175 feet x 275 feet. If I was at the end of my property, it wouldn't hear me. The other side of the coin is, if I was that far away, I don't know if I would even hear it because I'm 86 years old and my hearing is not what it used to be. Also, I thought we were supposed to check once a month, but I haven't done that and they haven't called and told me it was time to check my Lifeline either.

Lifeline response

Phyllis, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback with us. Please know that you can always feel free to test your button any time you would like. When testing the equipment you can let the person know that you are just checking the equipment for the month. We are happy to hear that our service brings you confidence and your experience has been very good. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

Philips Lifeline made a change to their device and every time I moved on the bed, it would go off. I would not wear it because of that. It went off many times for no reason and I had to call the neighbors and stop them from coming. I had to stop the ambulance too. Now, Philips put a different one in and this one hardly ever goes off. I could fall or almost fall and it doesn't make any difference. It doesn't always go off when it should. That aside, the device doesn't bother me when I wear it. When I pushed the button, it worked. But I'm not really satisfied with the way it works. My experience has not been very good on the whole.

Lifeline response

Maurice, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us regarding your button. I would like to have a supervisor reach out and speak with you and see if we can provide some assistance with the unit you have in your home.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

There was a time when the phone would be off the hook and Lifeline said a line was removed. It was alerting us that something was wrong with that. So, it's pretty good. Adele has it around her neck 24/7. The only time she takes it off is when she's going into the shower and I come with her. I'm with her 24/7. During the outage, Lifeline works too. I'm happy about that. The device on the chain works good for her. I'm happy. I love it.

Lifeline response

Fatu, hank you for being part of our family and glad that you feel confident with our service. Please know we are always here when you need us. We appreciate the feedback and for this kind review. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

My cleaning lady accidentally set the button off and they responded very quickly. Lifeline makes me so comfortable.

Lifeline response

Danice, We are glad that you were ok and did not need any help. We are also happy to hear that our service operated as it should have. We appreciate the feedback and for this kind review. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I've only tried to use it one time, and I didn't get results. I had a fall last Tuesday night and when my neighbor called, she didn’t get a satisfactory report. One time, the device fell on the floor, and they called and asked for the information. But this time, they only asked my neighbor if I was okay.

Lifeline response

Mary, thank you for providing this feedback and I would like to apologize to you for what you experienced. I would like to have a member of our customer service team reach out to you to speak with you regarding your experience.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

Answered the call and had no idea that my Medicare Advantage Plan would be responsible for the fees. Was very happy to hear that. The customer service man was very kind, and patient, and answered my questions. The entire sign up was quick, fast, and the device was here in about 3 days. Love that I can use it in all the 50 states and works well.

Lifeline response

Nellie, We appreciate you taking the time to provide this valuable feedback. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I wear Lifeline everywhere I go. I feel very secure with it. I like it fine.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

I like it. I wear it all the time. I accidentally set it off and it works.

Lifeline response

Nettie, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please know we are here when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I'm really satisfied with it. I accidentally pushed it by accident one night and right then, I had people there.

Lifeline response

Marie, Thank you for sharing your experience. Please know that we are here when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

I don't want to have to use my Lifeline, but it’s something I have. I was glad my son made arrangements to get this for me. And I've been using it. I wear it around my neck ever since. I pressed it one time. It responded right away. And we have a little box right here in the dining room. So, when I'm on the first floor, I could hear it right away.

Lifeline response

Karen, thank you for your kind review and happy to hear you feel more at ease with our service. I’m glad to hear that your button provided you help when you most needed it. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

The only problem I have is the thing that goes around my neck. It kept falling off so I had to use a regular jewelry chain that I already had. Two or three times, the Lifeline thing fell to the floor because that thing that went around my neck didn't work right. The device works but I feel a little uneasy that it might break. I would like a better type of necklace if Lifeline has it.

Lifeline response

Dawn, thank you so much for providing this valuable feedback. We do have other options other than the necklace, please call our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156 to discuss other options that maybe available to you a representative will be happy to assist you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

Updated on 10/13/2022: I have not received the life alert that I ordered in July, so my experience is not very good with them. I would still like to receive it but when I send a email it returns my email. I talked to them on phone and they said they would send one. Never sent it.

Original Review: Still waiting for my order. I emailed them many times, no answer till couple ago said it was on backorder, haven't heard anything since. It would be nice to get a update. I think if they advertise the product they should have it or a update would be nice.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

I fell in my kitchen and I woke up because I was out for not very long. I was sitting in the rocking chair in a room adjacent to my kitchen and then all of a sudden, there were four firemen who said they had picked me up off the floor. Lifeline notified them that I had fallen. They contacted my son who lives across town from me and I reassured them that I was going to be okay because they would have taken me over to the hospital if they felt it was the thing to do. Lifeline was a very good thing to have that day. I'm very satisfied.

Lifeline response

Wilma, We are glad that you were ok. We are also happy to hear that our service operated as it should have. We appreciate the feedback and for this kind review. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

Apparently Lifeline has either gone out of business or fired the employee who took my order before they were able to submit my request. Perhaps this review will inspire someone at Lifeline to send me their product and allow me to subscribe to their service. I eagerly await their reply!

Lifeline response

Linda, allow me to apologize to you for your experience with obtaining your equipment. I have forwarded your information over to the appropriate department supervisor and someone should be in touch with you regarding your equipment and your delay in getting the equipment.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

I'm fine with Lifeline. My results with it were good. I used it three times and they came right away. I ended up in the hospital right away in all three times. That would be an indication that everything was working.

Lifeline response

Betty, Thank you for being part of our family and glad that you feel confident with our service. We appreciate the feedback and for this kind review. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

The whole family feels safer when I have Lifeline. The device doesn't bother me at all. I've rolled over it at night for a couple of times and then I get asked if I was okay and I said yes.

Lifeline response

Lois, thank you for your feedback. Just know we are always there when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Lifeline Company Information

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES
AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009