4.0/5 (214 ratings)

About Lifeline

Lifeline, formerly known as Philips Lifeline, offers medical alert systems and monitoring services. Its equipment can use either a landline or cellular connection, depending on the model you choose. AutoAlert fall detection is also included with some models. However, there are upfront costs for activation and installation, even if you choose to install your system on your own.

Pros

• Waterproof buttons
  • Multiple location technologies
  • Fall detection may be included

Cons

• Upfront costs
  • Cancellation fees

Bottom Line

Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. There is no long-term commitment. However, there are one-time fees for activation and installation in addition to the monthly rate.

Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?

Original review: June 19, 2022

I am an 81 year old senior living in a 1 bedroom (800sq.feet) apt. I am thrilled to wear my necklace and know I have immediate help. I have some dizziness/balance issues as well. What I really like about this program is that should I fall, trip, or not be if I trip or fall in my bedroom or bathroom I am able to move, I can push my alert button and call out to them and they can hear me and talk with me to assess my situation. If I am in need of immediate help to get off the floor, etc..Lifeline calls our front desk and several staff quickly run to my apt. to help me and for us to determine if I needed an Ambulance to take me to the hospital. I do take a monthly check up by pressing my button and test its response. I also leave my volume on loud at all times. My insurance pays for all expenses for this top of the line emergency alert buttons. Also the people who respond have all of my information, and have been well trained for this service.

Lifeline response

Janet, We are very happy to hear that you feel safer with our service and glad that we can be there should you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 16, 2022

I'm happy with the device. But I'd rather have it on my neck than on my wrist. I leaned on something one day and the device was hanging around my neck and it took off. I had the police department here. So it works.

Lifeline response

John, Thank you for providing the valuable feedback. If you are interested in switching your button style, I would suggest reaching out to our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156. Please know we are here when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 15, 2022

The only problem we had was when we were setting it up, my son-in-law and her. We followed all the directions in the booklet, but it wouldn't work. So, she called again. And this gal said she would give her five steps to try that weren't in the book. She lives 30 miles from me. So, when she came up on a Saturday, they hooked it up. They did what those five steps were that she had told her, and it worked there. So, she said, “I think you need to update your booklet,” that you send with the Lifeline. The device is around my neck. I take it off at night and lay it on the table beside my bed, because I turn from one side to the other several times during the night and I don't wanna set it off. But I haven't had to use it.

Lifeline response

Carole, We appreciate you providing this valuable feedback and glad the customer service representative was able to assist in getting you set up with your new equipment. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 14, 2022

I feel protected by having Lifeline. If something happens to me, someone will call me.

Lifeline response

Marye, This is very nice review and we are happy that we can be there for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 13, 2022

I've pushed the button a few times and their response is really very good. But the device is only good in the house. So as long as we're in the house, it's okay. But if we're outside or in the yard, it would not be.

Lifeline response

Mrs. Vandenakker, We appreciate you providing your valuable feedback. We are glad to hear you are happy with our service. For the usage of it outside the home please see the attached links for help understanding your area of range for your unit and button to communicate. For any further questions please reach out to our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156 Please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 12, 2022

With my father having Lifeline, it's reassuring that if something does happen, he has means of getting immediate attention. So it's very helpful. My mother is wearing one too now. It's a good product. But my mother doesn't like to wear the device at night, especially when she goes to bed. She says it rubs and bothers her neck and irritates her skin. Other than that, they press the button in time where the machine can hear them and we know help is coming. So it's very reassuring.

Lifeline response

Joseph, We appreciate you providing your valuable feedback. We are glad to hear you are happy with our service. If your mother is having issues with wearing the equipment around her a neck, we do have the option of wearing this around her wrist. If this is something she may be interested in please reach out to our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156. Please know we are always here for you when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 11, 2022

Lifeline has been wonderful. My husband doesn't have it hanging on his walker at all times nor does he wear it around his neck a lot. But when he goes to bed, sits on the couch, or stands up, he makes sure it's within reach. When my husband accidentally dropped the device and it went off, customer service was very good. I apologized and they said, “No, no. We'd rather know it's working than not.” So far, the device is working out very well. I feel comfortable leaving my husband now. Before, I didn't want to go three hours away from home. But I’ve been able to go back to work for a couple of days. We’re very satisfied with Lifeline. I'm very comfortable with everything.

Lifeline response

Mrs. Rapp, We appreciate you providing your valuable feedback. We are glad to hear you are happy with our service. Please know we are always here for your husband whenever he needs us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 10, 2022

The Lifeline team has been good. I have the device that goes around the neck. But I’d like to have the one with a bracelet.

Lifeline response

Betty, Thank you for your review. If you would like to switch over to our bracelet option please reach out to our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 7, 2022

I have received a diagnosis of myasthenia gravis just recently and there's a potential for me not being able to breathe well enough and at the same time, not being able to call for help. Philips Lifeline relieved the problem for me. I am married but my husband and I sleep in different bedrooms on different floors. He's a little deaf, and I couldn't even call for help. It is unlikely that I'm going to end up needing emergency help while I'm in bed in the middle of the night but that was terrifying me. So this is a very stress-relieving thing, even though I may never have to use it. I am keeping the button near the bedside.

I went through a hospital here in the state that has an office for this kind of thing. A rep ordered it for me and he helped me tremendously. He was wonderful. I've only had one issue. I went ahead and filled out the paperwork and put all the information in but I needed to go back into my account to make a change. So, I filed a support ticket or sent an email. I had somebody work with me over the space of several days but he ended up never responding back to me. The tech support via email was abysmal. I couldn't find where to make that change and all I was asking was where is this. The rep went off on asking for all sorts of thing. I said that all I needed was a screenshot pointing to where the button is. I wasn’t nasty. But at that point, he never even responded to me again. So I don't know at all how most people access any of this stuff.

I called a rep and she got the information. I still don't know how to alter that in the app though. I have to make this change again but I don't want to have to make a phone call. I'm used to being able to go into an app or into a website and making these changes myself. And this kind of thing may well be more reliant on a phone call to ask for help. But other than that, I'm fine with the whole thing.

Lifeline response

Delia, We are very happy to hear that you feel safer with our service Please know we are there when you anytime you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 6, 2022

When I was needing help they was there by a button and the help are very nice and get you help right away. Live alone with my dog. It's good to know if I have emergency or needing help it's confederate to just a click away from getting help. Thanks. Marvin

Lifeline response

Marvin, We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. Please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 6, 2022

I have fallen months back, and the paramedics came in the house and got me off the floor. A friend of mine was concerned that I would fall again and ordered a Lifeline device for me. I've made monthly payments on it since it was installed, but so far, I have never had to push the button. I got a thing in my wrist that has an elastic band and I push it if I fall. I wear it when I'm here at home and it's comfortable. If I'm gonna be going for a long time out somewhere though, I take it off and leave it. It's no use going out with this because it doesn’t do any good. If I fall out there in the grocery store or somewhere else, this button is not gonna help me.

Original review: June 5, 2022

Having a help button is helpful, but I haven't needed it. However, I have touched my button accidentally a few times, and Lifeline responded right away and made sure I was okay. Even when I said I was okay, they said, "Are you sure you didn't fall?" I said, "Yes, I am. It was just a mistake." I feel secure in here.

Lifeline response

Mary, We are glad that you were ok and did not need any help. We are also happy to hear that our service operated as it should have. We appreciate the feedback and for this kind review. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 4, 2022

My next door neighbor has Parkinson's that makes her shake and she has no teeth. Communication is very difficult for her and she falls frequently, so she asked me for help. I went to her apartment and got on the phone while she was there and ordered the equipment almost 3 weeks ago and was told it would arrive within 3 to 5 days, but every time I called to check up on WHERE it was, each person told me some wildly different story. I have been scandalized, in particular, by a Lifeline agent I spoke to three or four times who wouldn't even look up her account even though she told them I have permission to do this. He was sarcastic, flippant, and mean.

After weeks of multiple phone calls and total chaos, it turns out that Lifeline did not put the apartment number on the parcel, then the FedEx driver just DUMPED IT somewhere else instead of checking with his dispatcher to find out the apartment number. TWO OF US were in the room at the time I gave Lifeline the original information so Lifeline cannot claim that we did not give them the right information. I cannot stress how upset I am at the way we have been treated by these people. I have SEVERAL times asked to speak to a supervisor and that man at Lifeline told me that a supervisor would call me but no one ever did. It was obvious that he did not notify his supervisor, since I asked for a callback THREE TIMES and I never received one.

That agent sounded like he was laughing at me during the conversations, as if he was having a good time making us upset. How can we trust these people to take care of this vulnerable woman in her time of need when they behave like this? What happens when she falls and needs them to send the paramedics? Are they going to send the paramedics to the apartment complex and tell them to GUESS where she lives? I myself am disabled, and I have a different provider that gives good service. I am going to see if I can get my neighbor's insurance to pay for THAT service instead of Lifeline because Lifeline has proven that they are not competent and at least one of their agents seems to be actively working against the best interests of the client.

Silver,

We are very sorry to hear about your negative experience with us and appreciate you providing this valuable feedback. This is not the customer service we strive for and we will send you a private message to be sure all of your concerns are addressed appropriately.

Original review: June 4, 2022

We had a medical alert service through the hospital in Hebron, Nebraska and it was junk. I like Lifeline better. We've used it a couple times, and the siren part is louder. The response comes from different call centers from all over, and once in a while, it'll take longer. Still, my mother's experience has been pretty good. One time, in the middle of the night, my mother had the necklace off and she had it in her hand. She was messing with it when she was sleeping. The device went off and it started ringing and buzzing. I took off in the bedroom then they asked me, "Marlene, are you okay?" I said, "She was just playing with her necklace." "Do you need help?" I said, "No. I have it under control."

Lifeline response

Robin, Thank you for providing this feedback and for the kind review. We are glad to hear you are happy with everything. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 3, 2022

My husband and I feel better knowing that he has the Lifeline device. He has the one that kind of looks like a watch and he's dealt with it very well. But the velcro on the wristband is getting a little bit questionable. John, the rep we had spoken with about this, said that this could be an issue going forward and if that was the case, to let him know and he would be glad to drop off another one or get it installed for my husband. John has been very pleasant to deal with on our initial contacts with him. He's been very accommodating. The price is also a major plus because Lifeline is less expensive than a lot of the other ones. We've got the monthly fee set up now on an auto pay so that's very convenient. We don't have to think about sending a check every month.

Lifeline response

Carolyn, We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us should you need anything we are here to help. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 2, 2022

Customer Service is slow, and the website needs work. I spoke to 2 people who did not seem to know the answers to my questions, and there is not tech support for the website. The On the go device however, seems to be working well.

Lifeline response

Venetta, thank you for providing this valuable feedback, and I am sorry to hear the representatives were not able to answer your questions appropriately. If it is okay with you, I would be happy to have a representative call you and answer any questions you may have. Please let me know if it is okay to have someone reach out to you. We would like to be sure that you are completely satisfied.

Original review: June 2, 2022

I have the go-to one now. It takes some getting used to. I accidentally hit it two to three times a day. I am well bent over. So, if I wear it outside of my T-shirt, it swings freely eight inches from my chest. When it does that, it can get bumped into anything, or anything can bump into it. I do wear it inside of my T-shirt. Because otherwise, I can’t put up with it. My Lifeline beeps and it says something like, “I’m initiating an emergency call” or “I detected a fall. And if you want to cancel it, hold the button down for two seconds.” So, I usually do that and it says, “I’m cancelling your call.” Other than that, it does what it’s supposed to do.

Original review: May 31, 2022

Lifeline's reps are helpful. I'm more secured wearing the device.

Original review: May 27, 2022

May 10, 2022 my mom fell. I got her Philips Lifeline just for this. But it did not work. The pendant been not working lately due to low battery level'. The date mark on pendant 2020 two-year-old they were suppose to sent a replacement for a while but it never came. It did not work after she had a fall my sister goes to her house every day and found her dead. She has acid reflux. They way she fell she suffocated in her vomit. A slow death. This company failed my mom. They had a part in her death. This company when I called were more interested in getting their equipment back and did not care about my mom. I got no calls from them to say how sorry they were. They don't care. They just want your money for bad service where your love one can fall and this thing won't work. Avoid this. Find another alert device that works that might save your love one's life.

Mr. Mike,

We are very sorry for your loss and would like to extend our condolences to you and your family. I have sent you a private message that will be e-mailed to you and we can discuss with you further.

Original review: May 21, 2022

I call Lifeline my panic button. You know there's help if you need it and all you got to do is mash the button. You ain't gotta pick up the phone and dial 911. You just hit the button and it's there. The watch is so comfortable that you actually forget that you have it on. I'm glad I have it. Lifeline responds immediately. My device came unplugged one day and I didn't realize it, but they called me and told me that it was unplugged and that I need to plug it back in. I'm telling everyone I know to get Lifeline, especially my elderly friends that live alone and even the ones that don't live alone.

Original review: May 20, 2022

Try to get a watch or necklace! When I fell no button. It has been 3 months without button just have a box with a red light. Had my hip replaced. My girl called me. The box went off but no one said anything. I just want my button. Lifeline if you read this Get it together. Bill **. Watertown, Ct.

Lifeline response

William, We are sorry to hear about your negative experience and appreciate you providing this valuable feedback to us. We would like to apologize for our shipping delay you experienced. I would to reassure you your button has been ordered and working to expedite this order to you as soon as possible. Once your receive the button please call us with the phone number included in the package and we can help activate this for you. If you have any questions, please feel free to call our customer service team at 1-800-865-7494 and we will be happy to assist you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I was very disappointed because my impression was that this was created for seniors living on Social Security. When I applied I was told I made too much money. How can someone living on SS make too much money? My income falls into the average SS check. I feel that the announcement rolling this out was misleading and my joy at potentially getting some financial relief was destroyed.

Lifeline response

Fran, Thank you for sharing this valuable feedback with us, and apologize if this is what you were told. We do work with many different insurance agencies that offer various discounts. If you are interested in finding out if this would be a benefit for you, please reach out to our sales department at 1-800-543-3546. Hopefully, they can find the best option for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 20, 2022

It's reassuring that my Lifeline is there.

Original review: May 19, 2022

I called several companies and I liked the way Lifeline spoke to me. Their customer service is good compared to all the other customer service I've talked to. I always get a person. I always get an answer and a call back.

Original review: May 15, 2022

Their customer service is very good. But the device is a little bulky. It's hard to wear all the time.

Lifeline response

Helen, We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. I can suggest our wristband instead of the bulkiness of the watch, however, if you would like to switch you would lose the fall detection feature. If the watch is something you think you may want please give our customer service department a call,1-800-635-6156. Please know we are here to support you in anyway. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 13, 2022

This company is the most incompetent customer service I've ever dealt with. I was sent the wrong equipment for my phone service, I was told that the correct equipment was shipped and on its way only to sit here weeks later and still no equipment and then another phone call. After speaking to 9 different people that my account had been cancelled, asking me why I cancelled, I didn't and telling them that I have no idea where they got that information from, it wasn't me. I have shipped back the wrong equipment per their request on May 5, 2022 by FedEx and as of May 12, 2022 I'm getting another phone call inquiring about has the equipment been shipped back.

This company's customer service has been a most horrible experience, nothing but a stressful situation created for a senior citizen with medical issues and my Medicare Advantage Plan contracting with this company and getting paid for this kind of ordeal. Maybe they've worked for other people but that certainly wasn't my experience unfortunately.

Lifeline response

Janet, We are sorry to hear about your negative experience and appreciate you providing this valuable feedback to us. I will send you a private message with a solution and hope to hear back from you soon.

Original review: May 8, 2022

My Lifeline device has been pretty good. It's just Lifeline is going away from hard telephone lines, and they're going into this computer thing where your phone line runs through the computer modem. Because of that, there's a 5 or 10-minute delay. I didn't realize this at first because we would press the button to do the monthly check, and at one time, it took over 10 minutes and we couldn't understand why. I talked to one of the people and they were like, “No, the call came in immediately. It did not wait or nothing." She contacted one of those technical guys, talked to him, and he said that it's probably on our end. There's something wrong with the connection. Then I realized and told him we don't have a regular hard line. That was when he said that I got to have a hard line to connect directly to that.

Other than that, the thing’s great. If I could stop hitting it accidentally, I'll be all right. If it happens, they are very nice about it. I was in the shower one time and I hit it. I heard them at the door because they were gonna break in the door. It’s one of those $1,000 doors with the leaded glass. It’s beautiful. So, I'm glad that I heard something. I turned the shower off. I came out and there was the firefighter down the road from me. They came because they got the call, and I was in the shower so what I started doing is leaving the door open in case anything like that happens again. I love the peace of mind that my device gives. I'm with them because of the fall detection. If I fall and hit my head and I'm knocked unconscious, they will be coming to get me, and that’s what I need.

Original review: May 7, 2022

They dropped the ball a couple of times getting the Philips Lifeline. I got the pamphlet and started putting it all together but the button didn’t work. I had to wait for another one of them and do it all over again. Then, the rep had to talk me through it because it still didn’t work when we tried it. He had to change something. Also, since having the device, I keep getting calls from them saying that I pressed a button. Sometimes, I could just be sitting here and it would go off. They alert me if it has been tripped and it takes about a minute or two for somebody to come on the line.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I’ve used Lifeline accidentally a couple of times and they responded within five minutes. They were very courteous and helpful. It's working pretty good for me.

Lifeline response

Dennis, We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. Please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 5, 2022

We've used it once already and everything went well. They responded right away. But I don't like to wear the device. I wear it on my walker. But so far, it works for me. My experience has been great.

Lifeline response

Joyce, We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. Please know that we are here when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Lifeline Company Information

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES
AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009