2.6/5 (259 ratings)

About Home Instead Senior Care

Home Instead offers a range of in-home services for seniors. If you or a loved one needs occasional help around the house or 24/7 medical care, a local Home Instead agency can match you to a caretaker with the appropriate qualifications and the skillset for your needs.

Home Instead Senior Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Instead Senior Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Instead Senior Care?

Original review: June 21, 2020

Family member has hired 3 sitters. The first one was searching the house. The second stole and the current one borrowed money, talks on inappropriate topics, is constantly on her cell, borrows the car and constantly questioning about the family.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

We needed help with my 99 year old father and 90 year old mother who wanted to stay in their home, that had lived in since 1955. The nurse at St Mary hospital gave me three references and I chose Home Instead in Livonia MI. The people I initially asked for help were incredibly understanding and made the decision easy for me. Brittany has been wonderful and the caregivers Dawn and Tamiko are world class people and friends to my parents. The support they have given is excellent and my family couldn't be happier for ourselves and our parents. Thanks to the Home Instead team for making this transition a happy one! Mark

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

My husband is completely bedfast and we need people who can handle bathing, dressing, feeding among many other things. They must be able to use a Hoyer Lift. We have had many different people and they have all been very kind and considerate of us both.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Our caregiver is excellent. She is dependable and self motivated. She takes great care of my mom and helps with household chores. The company has been very cooperative with necessary scheduling changes. The service has been a wonderful much needed break for me as I also take care of my brother, a disabled veteran.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I went away for the weekend and hired home care for my ailing mother who had cancer and was bedbound. Saturday night the worker was scheduled but never showed up. Out of frustration and based on their complete lack of competence I cancelled Sunday’s home care visit. The home care worker showed up anyway but as it turns out she provided us with the wrong patient name (breech of personal information). Turns out she was at the wrong residence! Totally unreliable and very unprofessional!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

The caregivers were unreliable so we didn't feel confident that our loved one was in good hands. Staffing was on the ball about calling us about problems with our sitters personal problems but at times unable to provide a caregiver. The employees in the business office were rude. There was a two week billing period with approximately a 5 day time period for receiving the bill and returning payment or a $25 charge was required. Communication was poor between the Client Service Representative, the business office, and responsibilities of the caregivers care plan for our loved one. I read the client reviews on the Home Instead Senior Care website and found them very questionable.

Original review: July 12, 2019

We used Home Instead in Oak Park, IL. I feel when we needed them the most they failed us. Most of the staff was ill equipped to handle my mother's needs as she deteriorated. She was bedridden and it took 3 people to change the soiled sheets and her, most of the caretakers had no idea what to do. As if that is not bad enough one of the caretakers decided to clean my mother up, exposing her private parts in front of family (her grandchildren) that were there visiting. I'm appalled that the caretaker would think that was acceptable in any way, shape or form. They also lack communication, as supplies were delivered from hospice boxes were stacked in a place that was not easily seen and never communicated that supplies had been delivered. If you love your family member I do not recommend them at all!

Original review: July 9, 2019

It is important to understand that the experience I describe here is related to one of Home Instead's many franchises. I have read negative reviews that have nothing to do with the Culver City franchise I used. In fact the home instead office that I dealt with was highly professional, courteous, and client-oriented. At our initial meeting they provided me with a list of qualities that I could expect from my caregivers. They made it very clear that I was to notify the office at any time that I felt I was not appropriately being cared for.

They emphasized the importance of training for all their caregivers. In fact, I was aware when my various caregivers were attending training sessions. Sometimes the training sessions have to do with things that I brought to the attention of the supervisors. For example, I have advanced Parkinson's disease. Many health professionals are not experienced with the various symptoms that come along with this disease. My home instead agency not only offered training sessions in dealing with Parkinson's patients, they also provided written information for my caregivers to use.

Because I had three shifts over 7 days a week, I had about six or seven different caregivers at any particular time. I think I understand the different skills that caregivers can have. I had many caregivers who had extensive training and experience. I had other caregivers whose strength was in providing companionship and understanding to a lonely client. Most of my caregivers had something special to offer. Were they all competent and fit for the job? Of course not. But home instead Culver City kept their promise to me. As soon as I notified them of a difficult situation, they handle it quite promptly. In some cases it merely required communicating with the caregiver. Sometimes it required replacing the caregiver. I think they used good professional judgment in these situations.

Were they perfect caregiving agency? No they were not. But they were aware of their areas that needed to be improved and I believe they were working on them constantly. For example, not all my caregivers had adequate experience in meal preparation. By the time I concluded my contract with them, they had instituted a sharing arrangement for caregivers to help one another. I parted ways with home instead Culver City because I was able to set up private home Care with live in caregivers. My advice to caregiving consumers is to be sure the reviews you read are directly related to the organization you'll be working with. Also, interview the staff, and ask to meet your potential caregivers in advance. Finally, be sure to let the organization know when your needs are being met and when they are not.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Since negative stars are not available, they get one. Totally negative on the high turnover staff. The RN's are combative and prone to slander. They treat workers and families horribly. If you want caregivers sleeping during the shift, and having basically no idea on proper care of your elder, this is the company for you. None of the home staff are licensed, and most are morons. Unfortunately, once they are in your life, its near impossible to get rid of due to attachment with the good ones. Near two years into this adventure leaves a bad taste.

Original review: June 4, 2019

They lasted two days as they dropped my loved one TWICE in 2 days. They also have questionable pricing as 2 twelve hour shifts is not considered 24 hrs in their pricing. They showed one shift as awake and the other resting but charged the higher rate for both. When questioned they told me they didn't have any 24 hour shifts. They are nothing but baby sitters.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I had just hired Home Instead Senior Care in Bel Air Maryland for my brother who needed care. Before hiring Home Instead Senior Care my first question was, "How would you know if your employee will be clocking in since their way of doing things does not involve clocking in on the customer phone." I was informed by Kim that Home Instead can see where they are at all times. So I hired them and they sent over a caregiver Laura and she apparently was clocking in on her phone then leaving the house then coming back to clock out at the end of her shift. She would do certain chores but then leave for the remainder of the required hours.

We caught her doing this when a nurse arrived at the house and asked where the caregiver was to my brother and he responded she left. Nurse contacted my sister and I was then contacted. I called my brother's cell phone and ask to speak with the nurse. I asked her, "What time did she arrive?" and she said she arrived at 12:30 and nobody meaning caregiver was there. The caregiver Laura was supposed to be there from 10 to 2.

I contacted Home Instead in Bel Air Maryland and spoke with Emily and she verified that Laura clocked in at 10 and is still there at the house and I informed her that that was not true because we have a nurse at the house and Laura is nowhere to be found. Then I contacted Laura by text and asked her to clock in and out using my brother's cell phone and my sister was there at the house waiting for her to come back if she was coming back and sure enough she drove up the driveway and then text me saying she's clocking out. My brother then informed me that she has been doing this ever since we hired her meaning leaving the house in between hours of clocking in and clocking out and we were billed recently of those days with full hours 10 to 2.

My sister and I managed to contact the bank on time to stop the automatic withdrawal of $786 however I did notice another charge of $186 that was withdrawn on March 8th and there is no invoice backup as to why we were charged this amount. I am requesting a full refund and in the process of finding a lawyer. Home Instead is a scam business and they are trying to take advantage of the disabled and seniors' inability to remember and use it against us. I am here to inform others to not use Home Instead because they are not in the business of caring for your loved one but out to get your money.

Also having the conversation with Emily of Home Instead it didn't sound like she was surprised. In fact she was even defending the employee by saying that she had an emergency and that her daughter was out of gas and needed help. I just drew from that conclusion that they had previously been doing this before and knew all about how their employees work and they don't care about it. My advice. PLEASE DON'T LET Home Instead CARE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM AND IT'S ALL ABOUT MAKING A BUCK. NO COMPASSION. NO TRUST.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Home Instead lies about everything, from background of caregivers, to age and experience. They will say a caregiver has worked for them for a long time and then when the caregiver shows up she says it is her first day to work for Home Instead. Age is misrepresented and caregivers are up to many, many years older than patients are told and they don't feel up to doing much other than sit. The caregivers who have worked for them before are dissatisfied with the company and say they are interviewing with other agencies but would like to work independently. The company is low paying but charges top prices for the caregivers. I do not recommend this company as I had bad experiences with them.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

From the moment I met with Becky from Home Instead I felt that she had my father's best interest in mind. The next day, both she and our potential caregiver, Brittany, visited with my dad and they made a plan and a schedule for in home visits. My father really appreciated Brittany's help and company. I really appreciated Becky's help finding insurance based PT and OT. She went out of her way to make sure that my dad had follow-up care. I would recommend Home Instead to anyone who needs to plan elder-care for a parent. They are professional, kind, and caring.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Two of the seven different caregivers Home Instead sent us bonded well with the patient, actually gave him happiness in the last months of his life. And so when I requested these two special caregivers HOME INSTEAD would not allow them to return. Instead they sent other caregivers who actually made the patient's last months hellish. I am shocked by the cruelty of this company. It is supposed to be a service and yet they are crueler and detrimental. It was extremely hurtful and frustrating to an already difficult situation. STAY AWAY from HOME INSTEAD.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Well, they lasted a total of 1 1/2 times visit. I met with one person initially and did some sort of interview time thing in my home. I thought this person was fairly pleasant and easy to talk to. So the next time he came back with another worker (They seemed to be some sort of "package deal".) His agenda was to barge into my home, and personal, sacrosanct space, and re-make it according to "his image & liking". He seemed a tad confused, and thought he lived there. Not me! This is so disrespectful! And the other person's agenda was to sit down and never really get up again the entire time or do anything helpful or useful. Alas, we have run into this similar situation many times, with each type of "home health care" we have hired.

They are all fly by night to say the least. And that seems to be their best quality! Alas... When I last spoke with the "team leader", he commented that things "were not getting done". Exactly. That is why we hired you! Well, go figure... huh? Do not allow these strange strangers into your home. There is nothing in it but a huge amount of hassle and regret on the part of the client. By the way, all these agencies are extremely confused, and they are topsy turvy to the point they are (somehow) convinced that you work for them, not the actually of the situation! I attempted to give the appropriate feedback to this company, but they had zero interest in hearing anything I said, doing the tasks required or in any way, shape, or form being professional, productive or useful. Do not hire this company! Stay away! What an upsetting, awful experience for us, the clients!

Original review: May 22, 2018

I do not know anyone that likes or would tolerate a parade of strangers through their home but evidently that's the way Home Instead, does business. In the last 8 months, we have had 5 different people come and go from this company. What does it take to find one person that will do the job of just sitting, watching, and occasionally helping. The job is easy and indoors! They started out just fine for the first couple of months but then a different person every other day started showing up.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I had an interview with this company’s Fort Collins branch last week and was offered a position. I received a phone call today saying that after speaking with my references, I wouldn’t be a good fit to their company. I then contacted all of my references and NOT ONE of them was contacted by Home Instead on my behalf. Dishonest administration. I would avoid them at all costs.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

My mother has been receiving Home Instead care in Ohio. She resides in the Cleveland area. The family thought of Home Instead for her. However, the caregiver who has been serving her for the last 2 plus years has been lazy and cannot meet her needs. Also, she does not communicate with her office or return calls from clients. She also wants to help herself with personal items. Her name is Jackie and she is based out of the Oakwood village, Ohio office. So, that being said if your loved one is in need of senior care I would strongly look elsewhere for a better service with better staff. These part-time people are not very reliable and are worthless.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

They don't pay miles like they say in handbook. My niece has been there 3 1/2 months and still hasn't got paid for them. They keep telling her someone else is in charge of that. The workers inside the office don't communicate with each other. And the schedule are so screwed up. They expect you to work when you are sick. They don't care about you or client. Would not recommend this company.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Needed help with my mother quickly, so we hired Home Instead Grass Valley. Want to let people know that you have to feed the caregivers on top of paying a high rate. Additionally, the caregivers did not shower my mother for 9 days and when I asked to reduce the price because they had not performed the basics, they refused and were rude. Home Instead is expensive and unprofessional.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I called Home Instead in Saratoga Springs, NY last year. I needed someone to stay home with my Dad so that my Mom could get out of the house and feel comfortable that he was safe while she was gone. From the beginning I had a positive feeling about the people they employ. The woman that met with us to setup services was very professional, yet relaxed enough that I didn't feel pressure to sign the contract the day we met. She followed up with me to see if I had any questions, and again didn't seem to pressure me to sign.

When my family finally made a decision and I called the office she seemed genuinely happy to hear from me. They sent a woman named Brenda to care for my Dad. Brenda has been with my Dad for over a year now, just a few times a week. She is kind, caring, funny, and most importantly - seems to really enjoy spending time with my Dad. He looks forward to his Brenda time each week. My Mom gets to visit with her friends, shop, or whatever and feels confident that Dad's having a good time with Brenda. We couldn't be happier.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I hired this agency in Albany NY for a period of several weeks. Two different employees stole from me during this time. One stole personal property and another took cash from my purse. Instead of the agency discussing this with their employees, they said I must be mistaken. I would caution anyone hiring from this company. They only pay their employees $10 an hour and yet collect $25 from the clients. So, I can understand the employees needing extra money but stealing is not the way to go.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

In 2009 - I hired HISC for my elderly father to drive him to occasional doctor appointments. Eventually I hired a live-in caregiver from an altogether different company until he needed to move into a nursing home and passed away early February 2015. In 2013 - I hired HISC for myself when I needed a driver (using my car) to take me to my appointments following my own foot surgery. The service for my father was adequate as was mine. ALL bills received were PAID IMMEDIATELY for both my father and for me.

Fast forward, (4) four years later... to September 2017... Imagine my surprise when I received a phone call from Home Instead Senior Care "Fran" SEVEN YEARS after we used them for my (now) deceased father and FOUR YEARS later for myself. My initial thought was maybe they were looking for me to use them as a reference; because I could think of no other reason they would call! Imagine my astonishment and increasing anger I felt when Fran falsely stated "we've been sending you invoices and haven't heard from you". I was in shock trying to process what this woman was claiming since I had NOT received any bill or communication from HISC since 2013!!

And I know I personally pay all bills immediately upon receipt and keep very good records, so I became frustrated and angered as Fran was falsely claiming to have been "unsuccessfully trying to reach me" (even though I verified they had my correct address, phone #, email, etc). The $ dollar amount Fran claimed on the phone for myself was $54.00 from 2013. I told her I owe them nothing and paid all my bills when they were received and it is not my problem if they have very bad bookkeeping!

Now, four years later, my husband and I just moved in late April 2017 to another state to "down-size" into a small home in a retirement community. The post office has been successfully forwarding all our mail correctly to our new address. My frustration grew as my mind wandered how now I am burdened by trying to "prove" this was paid four years ago!! I offered my new address and asked her to send me an "invoice" of this bill. Since moving and down-sizing we got rid of 50% of our possessions and the old designated binder I kept for HISC records were not something I kept from 2009 & 2013! Important things like taxes and other relevant important documents moved with us, but holding onto HISC binder from 2009 & 2013 did NOT make the cut when deciding what was absolutely necessary to take into our new small home.

So I became increasingly mad to be accused of owing something I knew I didn't owe and spent HOURS trying to find my old checkbook registers to find proof of paying this to them in 2013. Thankfully I found one old bank electronic bank statement showing proof of payment from my checking account. Unfortunately I closed my other checking account I had often used to pay medical bills and cannot access old statements which is a huge hassle. I'm thinking how ridiculous that this company is obviously in financial trouble and probably was audited for their illegal billing practices and poor book-keeping... and are bogusly calling very old clients to try and collect money they do not owe.

On September 7, 2017 I received an envelope in the mail from Fran from HISC with the "promised invoice". INSTEAD it is a poor ledger, no invoices and the amount Fran said on the phone was not anywhere to be found in this vague on this four-lined ledger. I am disgusted and frustrated and will write to them stating I owe them nothing and all bills were paid with a copy of my payment. I want no further correspondence and consider this to be harassment and illegal. Keeping in mind Fran's initial claim they have been sending me invoices when I NEVER got any bill since 2013 which was paid. THIS makes me mad and would NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE AFTER THIS FRAUDULENT CLAIM.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

We were searching for home care for our 96 year old mother and hired Home Instead Senior Care from Sandwich MA. who provided us with a person to assist with mom's daily routine of meal prep, bathing, and household chores. Her schedule was Monday and Friday from 9 until noon. She started on July 31. On Friday August 18th HISC called and said the aid was not going to be there on Monday the 21st as scheduled but would be there Friday as scheduled. HISC couldn't send a replacement until Thursday the 24th. This left us scrambling to find coverage for that shift. We later found out my mother's aid was sent to another job that day.

That left us worried that they would do it again. Then, HISC texted us to tell us that the aids regular shift on Monday would be overtime due to the labor day holiday. There was nothing in the paperwork about overtime and we were never told about overtime at either time the nurse came to review the service and to meet my mother and inspect the home. We found Home Instead to be unreliable and a little shady. Watch out. They sell snake oil.

Original review: June 21, 2017

The good, the bad, and the very bad... think twice before calling them... I have thought long and hard about posting here. After thinking though I thought it best to let others know about our service from Home Instead Senior Care in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. First, we find that 1/2 the staff are not qualified and unreliable. The other half are not bad, and a small mix of those ones are good caregivers overall who do care. We have had so many that seem to not have any experience whatsoever. Put in a home that they are not qualified to handle. But I understand that as if you look on their website for help wanted... you see this...**No previous experience necessary** as a Caregiver.

The male owner does not seem to be in touch with his workers. We have had missed appointments, last min cancellations and just not showing up. On top of that it seems the caregivers get to pick and choose who they want to work for, when they want to work. We have as well had items... go missing. I think it is fair to say that upper management can be to blame here for most of these issues. Lack of training perhaps. Poor judgement as to who they hire maybe. In the end we fired them/stopped service not too long ago.

Original review: June 13, 2017

This company overfilled by thousands and instead of crediting my card, they send me a check two weeks later. Which was still less 150 that they still owed me. Beware of these people. They are crooks. The service was no better unfortunately. Different persons everyday and sometimes two different people a day, necessitating me to show yet another person where things are. Just recorded phone call from Home Instead. Now they are telling me the remainder of the money owed me is a service fee which was never disclosed and which the girl says they keep. I wouldn't leave a rat to be looked after by these people. If you people value your parents, find another agency to come into their homes other than this one; they are shady, do not pay attention to the client well, and will put exorbitant charges on your credit card. There are a plethora of other agencies out there. Save yourself the headache!

Original review: June 12, 2017

I had my dad in a nursing home and pulled him out due to substandard care. I employed Home Instead to take care of both of them in my house. They worked with us to find the right match of caregivers and my parents. After a few ups and downs with the workers (all issues were resolved to my and my parents' satisfaction) we wound up with 2 workers who came into the house. These workers are caregivers, not CPN's or nurses of any kind. They reminded my parents of medicines, feed them and kept them company in the last year of their lives. Without them, I would not have been able to care for my parents. The women who came into the house were reliable and caring. The owners were wonderful people who worked with me on payment arrangements. I would definitely use them again and in fact have told my daughters that when it's my turn, they should use them.

Original review: May 6, 2017

Unqualified young adults/teenagers that didn't have the professional training required for this type of job. They randomly switch out people you have been working with for months, are constantly changing their workers' schedules so you always feel like you're behold to THEIR schedule instead of the other way around. One worker (a teenage girl) lost my credit card when running errands and when I informed Home Instead, they blamed me for it and tried to minimize the problem. Just unprofessional and unqualified workers.

Original review: April 17, 2017

I am in NH, and have an elderly mother (90) living alone in her own home in NC. Dept of Social Services, in NC recommended Home Instead, said they were great. I believed them. Being 850 miles away, I said ok. Took 3 calls to get Tammy the nurse on the phone. When I FINALLY got her on the phone, I was frustrated, but the conversation went well. She PROMISED that she'd fax me: WHO will be caring for my 90 year old mother. WHAT will be done. WHAT services do they provide? She confirmed my fax, my email address, etc... Next day, nothing. She then told my NC attorney that I yelled at her. Took 3 weeks before I got a very poor account of what was done, and who was with mom. I didn't EVEN KNOW who was in her home. They put my mother at risk. SHAME ON THEM. I'm quite sure there are other agencies out there who actually care.

Original review: April 10, 2017

My husband has dementia, was with the Milford center for a long time, no problems. As the week end caregiver Crystal was always on time, concerned about quality of work and a great person. When Crystal had to be off we were sent a young woman who WAS NOT CAPABLE of doing the job and I had to call my brother in law to come and help us. I called and talked to several people and was switched to a woman whom I believe was either the manager or owner of the franchise. She was not at all nice, and told me that they would no longer do business with us. That was 2 weeks before Christmas... I've given complaining a lot of thought and I believe this is worth conveying to the corporate headquarters and others who might consider hiring this company. No way to conduct business... and no way to treat a good customer... or anyone!

Home Instead Senior Care Company Information