2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.69/5

Acorn Stairlifts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
        Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Had a chair lift installed a month ago. Within 2 weeks a cheap plastic panel piece broke off the bottom. Had to wait almost 2 weeks for an appointment to get it fixed. Only took less than 10 minutes to put a new panel cover on. Charged $250 labor, $28 for plastic piece plus tax. I have had auto work done for less. The cost of the stairlift is enormous enough, but their repair cost is outrageous. I have absolutely nothing good to say. I will recommend other companies to people who need installations.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
        Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

We hired Acorn to install an Acorn chair lift for $400 that we purchased from a 3rd party. Sent them every measurement upfront (as they requested). They came out and told us that our rails would not work and we needed to spend $800 on new rails (this was a lie). Then he looked at the motor and without touching it, he told us it was uninstalled incorrectly and would have to be repaired or replaced for $1600 more. We sent him away and hired a handyman to do it for $500. Rails and motor worked fine. Now they want us to pay them $250 for the installer showing up. Classic BAIT AND SWITCH. Don't hire Acorn for anything!

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

A few words of advice. Go with absolutely any other company than Acorn. They have commissioned sales and service, they have products that are only tied to them so other companies cannot repair or get parts. They gauge you on the price and service warranty, they take up to 2 weeks to come out and to top it off they will harass you with calls until you break and give in. I ended up buying then after many problems turned around and had it uninstalled and replaced by Wheelchair Works which has been great and ended up cheaper.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I am trying to relocate an Acorn stairlift for my handicapped mother whose husband just passed away. The Acorn reps are completely inept, would not extend any assistance and left it to my elderly mother to move and take apart herself. The company is eager to take your money for the install, but could care less about their customers. I highly recommend Williams Stair Lifts in Fanwood NJ. They are excellent and treat their customers with respect. The managers at Acorn are the most insensitive group of people and need a course in what customer service actually means.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

Stairlift works great. When I prepaid for the maintenance, then tried to set up a time, phone number didn't work. I had to call the corporation. They set a date for me. I waited today, four months past my year of installation and they didn't show up. I called and was told the date had been moved but no one called and told me of the move. I'm really frustrated as you get courted to install the lift. You get courted to purchase maintenance, then that's where the service drops the ball. They have you prepay... then you seem to be forgotten to actually do the service.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

My father purchased 2 Acorn stairlifts 6-7 years ago for my mother. The one going upstairs is curved and it has broken about 4 times a year. The salesperson pressured my parents into buying these lifts. She told them they were local. The closest technician lives 100 miles away. We have had technicians come from 200 miles away, that is not local. Often it takes 3 days to get someone to fix it. My mother is 91 and has to crawl up and down the stairs. The annual service contract is over $800 per year. It does not cover batteries which are expensive. If you do not have a contract it costs $250 for them to show up! If your stairlift breaks on a weekend or holiday do not plan on it getting fixed for a long time. DO NOT BUY AN ACORN STAIRLIFT. We are currently looking into replacing the stairlifts.

Original review: June 23, 2020

They were hot to get the 12000 to put in the stairlift and they are not so much at coming out for the yearly service. Have been about 2 months trying to get them to come out and the chair starts beeping all on its own but yet they want me to give them about 800 for a year warranty like that is going to happen.

Original review: June 20, 2020

We’ve owned this stairlift for about 3 yrs and have had several service calls. It just stops working. When we call it is several days before someone comes out and it’s $250 a pop just for the service call plus any parts. They act like they don’t care how much the elderly person relies on the chair. My mother lives with us and depends on this chair for daily use. She cannot get up or down without it. She cannot get to the kitchen and unless we stay in her room with her until the repair person comes she spends several days alone because she cannot come up. I would never recommend an Acorn stairlift and am stuck with one that doesn’t work half the time. I may have to put my mother in a home because of this.

Original review: May 27, 2020

My 77 yr old mother was in need of a major back surgery and was looking to have a lift installed for after the surgery. We called and set up an appt for a bid. The technician that came out was very nice and professional. He seemed to be able to answer all our questions and mom had 2 ladies in other condo building over, as they were also interested in lifts for their buildings. Feeling satisfied mom.

Gave technician $1000 down. We were told they usually can install within 3 days so just call when she was close to coming home from Surgery. I called the number he gave for installation 2 weeks ahead just in case! Good thing bc they weren’t able to install until the day before mom was coming home. I schedule a vacation day from work and I’m told they will arrive between 8-11 but will call when on way. At 11:20 when no one has arrived I call to find out that installation was canceled!!!?? Canceled??? Who canceled this? Oh THEY CANCELED IT bc they found out they needed additional approval from the county!!!! No phone call to me about this!

Mom has now been home 11 days with no way out of condo. Today I was told it could be another 14 days and that it is not Acorn's fault and I need to be patient!! When I asked about a discount for my vacation day lost and the time lost and inconvenience the sales manager informed me it wasn’t Acorn's fault!? Really??? We canceled our $11k order and have requested deposit back!! The other 2 ladies will also not be using this company!! They are out 3 stairlifts and have a “who cares, sorry about your luck” attitude! Definitely do not recommend.

Original review: May 16, 2020

Just had an Acorn stairlift installed on my curved staircase. Ray ** was the technician who installed everything. Ray was very hardworking and professional young man explained everything. I would recommend acorn stairlift to anyone who is in need of assistance getting up and down the stairs.

Acorn Stairlifts author review by Shelley Webb

Acorn Stairlifts has been providing quality products since 1992. The company is based in Orlando, Florida, but has distribution centers around the world.

• They offer a large variety of stairlifts: Users can purchase a stairlift meant for indoor or outdoor use and the company can work with both curved and straight stairways.

• They offer perched seats: Users who have trouble bending their knees may benefit from the use of a perched seat to transport them from floor to floor.

• Outdoor stairlifts are also available: Users can purchase and have stairlifts installed outdoors so that they can enjoy their deck, patio or yard or get out of the house more easily.

• They offer rapid installation: Stairlifts can be installed within 24 hours of purchase.

• They provide a 12-month guarantee: All products are covered for the first 12 months of use, so if they fail to work or don't meet users' needs, they can be returned. The registration card needs to be returned within the first 30 days in order to qualify.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Acorn Stairlifts Company Information