2. Elder Care

Find Stair Lifts partners near you

About Acorn Stairlifts

Find Stair Lifts partners near you

Acorn Stairlifts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 14, 2021

All mechanical items break down once in a while and I happily will pay my fair share for accurate repairs. In the past month and a half, I have paid Acorn $750 for repair visits and I continue to have the same problem. Each time I call, I am reminded to buy their insurance for the year, This company gets a kick back for every policy they sell. At first, we diligently paid over $700 a year for repairs; however, they still would charge me per visit each time.

My chair works on and off and the service department refuses to come as soon as possible when I have a problem. Last time it was 3 weeks of waiting, this time is a week. Obviously there is a reason why I bought the chairlift but the person in the office did not care. It was pretty much take it or leave it. Considering how much I have paid lately, at least Cesar could be nicer. Instead, his issue was our lack of insurance. He also suggested that I unplug my chair and pump the seat at least 10 times before I use it. Are they really serious? If you are considering a purchase, please read all the awful reviews for this company.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 14, 2021

My wife bought a Acorn stairlift for her grandmother and the stairlift has a issue almost every month. After calling them all day you might get to someone and they will schedule you for at least a week from that day!! What this poor lady has to do for rest of the week??? Bad customer service and all they care is to collect the money.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
      Original review: June 29, 2021

The lift seems to work well - I’ve had mine for 2 months. My stairs have a landing so I needed 2. Today I was offered a warranty that was $600 ($1200 for both lifts) for one year. And their service call prices are just as outrageous! Avoid this company unless you have a lot of spare money.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I’ve no issues with the Stairlift itself but calling for service to replace the batteries (normal after 3yrs + of use) gave me a shock. First of all when I called the service department number I expected to speak with a technician to book a time however what I got was a big push to purchase their extended warranty @$600 a year! That obviously wasn’t the service department but sales. When I declined the offer I was told a service call would be $300 plus parts. I dare say most Acorn users are older retired people and $300 seems a bit overpriced for me. Just sayin.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

My mother's chairlift started beeping due to a battery needing replacement. With the extended warranty she scheduled a service call. However, THERE IS NO WAY TO STOP THE INCESSANT BEEPING until our appointment in 3 days. You cannot turn it off. The beeping is terrorizing her dogs and is so loud it can be heard in every room in the house with doors closed.

Resolution response: March 10, 2021

Acorn finally sent an Acorn serviceman who replaced the failed part for about half the cost estimated by prior servicemen and the stairlift has been operating well since then.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Our six year old stairlift has been out of service for almost a year. Very difficult getting technician who then installed unnecessary parts that didn't fix problem. When called to come back he said he had so many problems with Acorn he quit servicing their units. He recommended we scrap our Acorn unit and buy a different brand. Closest service center I can find in the State of Maine is in Portland and they say Lincoln is too far away and won't send a serviceman.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Chair lift installed several years ago.... Heard from the company initially all the time. Attempting to get us to purchase service contract. Did not purchase. Chair acting weird and stalling frequently of late. Phoned for service. Appointment booked for several days away. Technician showed up. Figured it was battery. Seat would not stay up either and one of the arm controls was not working. Repaired all of these things and replaced the batteries, all in about a half hour. Batteries were $70. Service call was $300. Told we can buy the batteries at Canadian Tire but cheaper from Acorn and if purchase from Acorn that instructions are provided. Haven't tried to contact Acorn to confirm this. Hoping the husband can change batteries himself because cost of service call is ridiculous. Glad I did not purchase the extended warranty or cover plans which were all quite costly. Talk about gouging the disabled.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Had a chair lift installed a month ago. Within 2 weeks a cheap plastic panel piece broke off the bottom. Had to wait almost 2 weeks for an appointment to get it fixed. Only took less than 10 minutes to put a new panel cover on. Charged $250 labor, $28 for plastic piece plus tax. I have had auto work done for less. The cost of the stairlift is enormous enough, but their repair cost is outrageous. I have absolutely nothing good to say. I will recommend other companies to people who need installations.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

We hired Acorn to install an Acorn chair lift for $400 that we purchased from a 3rd party. Sent them every measurement upfront (as they requested). They came out and told us that our rails would not work and we needed to spend $800 on new rails (this was a lie). Then he looked at the motor and without touching it, he told us it was uninstalled incorrectly and would have to be repaired or replaced for $1600 more. We sent him away and hired a handyman to do it for $500. Rails and motor worked fine. Now they want us to pay them $250 for the installer showing up. Classic BAIT AND SWITCH. Don't hire Acorn for anything!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

A few words of advice. Go with absolutely any other company than Acorn. They have commissioned sales and service, they have products that are only tied to them so other companies cannot repair or get parts. They gauge you on the price and service warranty, they take up to 2 weeks to come out and to top it off they will harass you with calls until you break and give in. I ended up buying then after many problems turned around and had it uninstalled and replaced by Wheelchair Works which has been great and ended up cheaper.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Stair Lift partner.

Acorn Stairlifts author review by Shelley Webb

Acorn Stairlifts has been providing quality products since 1992. The company is based in Orlando, Florida, but has distribution centers around the world.

• They offer a large variety of stairlifts: Users can purchase a stairlift meant for indoor or outdoor use and the company can work with both curved and straight stairways.

• They offer perched seats: Users who have trouble bending their knees may benefit from the use of a perched seat to transport them from floor to floor.

• Outdoor stairlifts are also available: Users can purchase and have stairlifts installed outdoors so that they can enjoy their deck, patio or yard or get out of the house more easily.

• They offer rapid installation: Stairlifts can be installed within 24 hours of purchase.

• They provide a 12-month guarantee: All products are covered for the first 12 months of use, so if they fail to work or don't meet users' needs, they can be returned. The registration card needs to be returned within the first 30 days in order to qualify.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Acorn Stairlifts Company Information