1.42/5
Based on 130 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a good stair lift company?

Last updated: May 11, 2018

131 Acorn Stairlifts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 11, 2018

Worst decision ever, installing an Acorn Stairlift! Unless you pay for the YEARLY $750 maintenance plan, you will pay $250 up front for them just to come over, and then I think $250 hourly after that. We are on our third set of batteries in three years - They should last at least that long to begin with! We just had new ones installed in December, and here we are five months later with dead batteries again and my 93 year old deaf/blind mother stuck upstairs!

Of course, most people who purchase a stairlift in the first place are elderly, disabled, on fixed incomes, and don't necessarily just have this cash in their back pockets. I don't know if the other chairlift companies are this crooked, and I sure wish we'd done our homework first. We only went Acorn because of their "sweet" commercials and the only ones we'd ever heard of anyway. So shame on us for not looking into them on websites like this for reviews, but hopefully this can save someone else a few headaches.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I purchased the Acorn Stairlift approximately two years ago. We asked the installer that we wanted it installed on the other side of the stairs, but installer insisted that it would not work on that side of the stairs which it was a straight stairs with no turns, this did not make sense to me but had to accept his position. About a month ago, the seat cracked and I called Acorn and wanted to order a replacement seat due to this one was cracked on the edge. Acorn advised that they could not sell me a seat directly due to a liability problem they would have if it was not replaced by an Acorn installer. I asked what liability problem they have had. I did not get an answer, but Acorn would not sell me a replacement seat that has five screws holding it to the frame. I can't see paying Acorn $150.00 for a service call and the cost of the seat, that would take approximately 5 minutes to change. Very sad Company.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2018

After 4 months, the stairlift installed in my friend's home is still not approved by the inspector. Appointments are constantly changed and delayed. The price was substantially higher than what was advertised. Because there were two turns in the staircase, I thought the price was probably ok. I could have lived with the overcharge on the price if the installation had been accomplished and my friend could use it. The sales person came out in mid-December. I got a call at the beginning of January to set up the installation, but installation wasn't scheduled until February. I was told that we had to wait for the inspector, but the first inspection appointment was scheduled out almost 5 weeks. Then it was cancelled 5 minutes before the inspector was supposed to be there. Acorn blamed the state inspector, but when the inspection was rescheduled 3 weeks later, the inspector actually had no record of a prior service call.

When the inspector finally came, it seems that the Acorn tech broke the electronic remote system by putting too much weight on the seat. He couldn't get it to work and told me that I needed to call and make another appointment. I did within 30 minutes of the inspector and him leaving. I read the repair order written by the Acorn tech. After much browbeating, I got an appointment 3 days later. That was rescheduled for more than a week later. Then the new appointment was rescheduled 3 times during the day. The person Acorn sent out hadn't been told what the issues were, so he was unprepared. He did what he could, but told me the tech that was there on the day of inspection was the only one who could fix the remote and should have done so. So the tech who was there 10 days ago is coming to fix what he broke. Run the other way.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I bought a lift for my mom. First the price is unreal, way too high. Talked me into buying a extended warranty. Was told it would only take 2-3 hours to install. They sent an guy from sales to install. It took him 7 hours to install. Less then two months after it was installed it stopped working. I called Acorn, was told I had to pay $500 out of pocket up front before the would sent out someone to look at the chair. He would look at the lift and order parts. Then I would have to pay another $500 for him to come back out and fix the chair lift. That the warranty just paid for parts. The $500 service fee plus the fee to work on the chair lift was not covered. And had to be paid up front.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Last January I referred a friend of mine to buy Acorn stairlift, after she bought it, I called for my referral check of $200 and was told it would take 4 to 7 weeks. It has been over 2 months, so I called again and they are giving me the runaround telling me they tried to contact the person I recommended, but are unable to reach her to confirm my referral. I doubt they ever intended to pay me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?

Original review: March 28, 2018

My husband was having ankle surgery and had a heart attack a couple years ago so we decided to have a stairlift installed so he would eventually be able to get to his office downstairs. A lady from Acorn Stair Lifts came and measured and led us to believe the track would be not flush but close to the wall so others could walk up and down the stairs without concern. We had to put five hundred dollars down for this and did while trusting this woman's evaluation for us. A guy came to install it and informed us it would have to come further out practically to the middle of the stair. No way!!! So we did not let him install it and told him we wanted our five hundred dollars back.

It has been exhausting trying to communicate with this business who misled us in the initial assessment of how it would be installed. Today one of their representatives argued and argued about why they would not refund us but then said they would minus what they paid for a permit. People - PLEASE do not get caught in this web of deceit as we did. It was NOT our fault that the woman who came first did not let us know the track would end up nearly in the middle of our stairs. Not only is this not safe for adults but certainly not for ten grandchildren that are up and down this stairs. I hope everyone who is thinking of getting a stair lift will read our story. It is SO wrong that we have had to fight to get our five hundred back when it was the woman's fault it did not work out.

Original review: March 26, 2018

These guys are sweetest salespeople before they sell you the chairlift which is generally priced minimum twice (They claim they are the best and therefore sell the most). Don't get taken for that sales jargon. Once you bought it forget about everything. Be prepared to open your wallet for everything. Carefully evaluate the contract before you purchase and if you do end up paying anything more than $3K even for 2 90 degree bends in your chair rail make sure you ask them to provide PM contract for minimum 5 years preferably 10 years (for both parts and labor) otherwise be prepared to fork out as much as 10%+ purchase price for annual maintenance contract.

Original review: March 2, 2018

My mother originally scheduled an appointment with Acorn Stairlifts to install a stairlift system for my ailing father. The appointment was scheduled for 4:30PM so she had time to get home from work to meet with the consultant as my dad had been very unwell and not in a state to make financial decisions and she made it clear when scheduling the appointment that both of them would be there. The day of the appointment, she ran about 15 minutes behind because of a delay picking up a prescription for my dad from the pharmacy, and in the 15 minutes it took her to get home by 4:45PM the consultant Mike ** had already completed a contract with my dad and processed their credit card.

The day of the appointment, my dad had been having severe problems maintaining his blood sugar level, so he was very mentally out of it and nearly passed out earlier in the day - he was in no way of sound mind to be committing to a contract himself and this should have been evident to anyone coming into the home. When she arrived at 4:45PM and found that an order had already been processed, she asked Mike to put the order on hold so she could review everything first because of the mental state of my dad. He was immediately defensive questioning why she would want to review the purchase and said there was no way to cancel the order because it had already been processed. He was very rude and tried to pit my dad against my mom, who was becoming upset because she wanted to double check the order. Mike told her the only way to cancel the order was to call the corporate office the next day.

He did not explain to her the 3-day notice for cancellation and did not complete the form on the back of the contract - she asked about the notice of cancellation form as she has completed in-home purchases before and she knows it is her right. Mike said there was no form and again told her she could not cancel the order at that time. The next day when she called to cancel she had tell 2-3 people that she was not interested in the purchase, that the consultant made her uncomfortable and she needed a different kind of lift they did not offer. The final manager she spoke to basically told her she should take another couple of days to wait to cancel and my dad didn't need the equipment that they didn't offer - he wanted her to wait until past her 3-days so she could not get her deposit back.

Finally after threatening to get her lawyer involved, they canceled the order. They provided a confirmation number of the cancel, but did not issue the refund of the $1000 deposit on her credit card. My brother had to call 2 more times on her behalf to get them to actually process the refund even though she cancelled within 24 hours of the original purchase. It took almost a month to get the charge canceled even when she disputed the charge on her credit card. My dad passed away on 2/14/18, so we were dealing with this mess in the middle of trying to handle his death at the hospital.

This company took advantage of my very ill father the day of the sale, treated my mother rudely when she called them out on it trying to cancel and took over a month to process a refund on credit card transaction when the cancellation was called in within the legal time frame. Their complete lack of ethics is unacceptable and there are numerous complaints online relating the same problems, particularly in a population consisting of vulnerable elderly and sick people. I am in outside sales myself and this company is disgusting.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

These people do a bait and switch. We told them we only needed the stairlift for a few months and were told they would be happy to buy it back. When the person needing the stairlift died BEFORE it was ever used they refused to take it back. They lied. We have a witness that was present when the salesman was in the house and said they would buy it back. BEWARE. These are dishonest people.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Bought an Acorn Stairlift Sept 2017. Cost $9000. Relative passed away in Oct 2017. Used 4 times. Tried to get a buyback, they don't do it. They know of someone that buys them very cheap to take it off hands. Told me to call other companies. But they won't give rights for other companies to fix it.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

My elderly mother has dementia and is becoming housebound. She had a bit of a fall on the stairs and scared my stepfather into wanting a stairlift NOW. He called the first ad he saw, Acorn. BIG MISTAKE. My daughter is a doctor of physical therapy and recommended another company for us after we saw the horrible reviews. When Acorn came for the estimate, they were told we had another estimate scheduled and no decision would be made that day. My mother's caregiver was there and heard the rep agree to that.

Then after all said and done, the caregiver had to help my mother to the bathroom, at which time the rep coerced my 85 year old, hard of hearing, sweet stepfather into giving him a check for $1,000. Told him that if they didn't lock it in today, he'd have to start over and call on the phone (stepdad's worst fear) and also that he - the rep- would lose half his commission if he didn't get a down payment NOW. SLICK AND SLIMY describes this company and their practices. Now I see their product is no better than their morals. How can they still be in business???

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

We bought an Acorn Stairlift on Craigslist for $1,000, and hired Acorn to pick it up from the seller and deliver to us, the buyer, and install it. The installation charge of $400 included transportation within 30 miles. Our distance was 40 miles so they charged us an additional $250, and would charge us for any additional required parts. In fact what they did was say we needed a rail with a "hinge" to clear the bottom step.

The technician mumbled it would be an additional $950 as he ran past. I asked my mother whether we had contracted to buy a rail. She said no, we got the rail from the seller (without a hinge, but included in the $1,000 purchase price.) Then after installation, the technician said we owed him $950 for the rail with the hinge, as he had "explained." We asked whether the rail we bought was worth anything. He said we could sell it for scrap iron. Unfortunately we signed "paperwork" in our confusion which I'm sure exonerates them legally. Stay away from these con men.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Acorn sells some parts directly, other parts are available only from a service technician. My stairlift is only a few month out of their one year warranty. I am not the user of this lift, so I did not notice the broken plastic arm cover until after the warranty had expired. The cover is held on by two Philips sheet metal screws inserted from the bottom. It appears that when this lift was assembled, one of the screws was screwed in too tight. Over time the screw eventually broke off the bottom of the cover and left a hole, and the cover lifted up from the arm.

Acorn informed me that they do not sell this directly to a consumer, but that it is available only from one of their technicians, likely for less than $20. To have Acorn replace this cover It would cost me $250 for a service call plus the cost for the new part. I could replace the cover myself in less than one minute - remove one screw and insert two screws. This is the kind of company Acorn is. Notwithstanding their expensive advertising (for which you pay indirectly), and their glowing customer endorsements, understand what you are getting into.

Their extravagant pricing and repair policy seems aimed at the most vulnerable of us - those older disabled people on a fixed income. Although these lifts are expensive to buy installed, just try to get anything for your lift when you sell it. Look on the internet - some are available complete for less than $500. I have found that some companies specializing in these types of disability products refuse to sell Acorn Stairlifts. Buyer beware - I suggest you look at other manufacturers products.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

The Model 5 boards (Says Bison 80) eat batteries every year. Acorn - with some persuasion sent a technician to supply missing pieces of rail I needed to install. All in, $3500 installed, which was good. 3 years in, the board went out, so I upgraded to the T565 board with Lithium Batteries for $1000 ($250 labor fee flat rate and $750 for the kit.). With the lithium batteries, it runs faster. No major trouble other than the batteries every year for the V5 board (NiCad), which are pretty expensive at $250 for parts. The lithium batteries should last longer, are more powerful and should be good. Battery cost is the same for the lithiums, and it goes MUCH faster with the upgrade kit. Techs are always nice, the home office staff are OK. It's kind of expensive, but with eBay pricing often under $2,000 shipped, it's a lot better than paying $12,000. Sure my out of pocket is now at $4500 for this, but it's worked ok. The seat is VERY uncomfortable, only big gripe.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Two years ago Acorn changed the batteries on my parents' Stairlift £250. Yesterday the stairlift didn't work so they phoned Acorn, £230 call out. They changed the batteries AGAIN and replaced the brushes in the motor. A further £250. Nearly £500. How can they justify that. Buying the batteries and a brand new motor wouldn't cost that. Total time on site 35 minutes. They spent longer sitting outside running the clock up to justify their charges. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE never buy a stairlift from these robbing con merchants and warn EVERYONE that you know.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I just got an Acorn stairlift this month and so far am very happy with both it and their customer service and sales people. The salesperson was very professional, very nice and helpful. He offered discounts for military service right away as well as telling us we could avoid paying tax by getting note from the doctor. No pressure to buy whatsoever. Left written material to look at. When we did decide to buy, the customer service people were great as well. We were able to get it delivered and installed the very next day. The installer came, was also very professional and polite, answered all questions, let us demo it, and told us all about warranties, etc. The stairlift runs smoothly and is comfortable and already my back is hurting less due to not having to walk up and down stairs. I had fallen twice and broken my tailbone and my husband feared we would have to move, but now I can stay in my home. Thanks Acorn. You guys are great.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

My parents put in the Acorn Stairlifts about 4 years ago. It is the biggest piece of junk out there. They are built to break. Poor construction and materials. The wire in the arms are 16 to 18 gauge wire and they put no slack in the wire. So as you move the handles back and forth, the wire soon breaks. My brother and I have rewired the arms on both chairs numerous times. And don't ask the company to come out. These chairs are built so you have to buy the service contract to keep them running. Total junk and a unreliable company to boot. They should be closed down for putting such junk on the market. They paid $7500 for 2 chairs because of the stairway. This only the beginning of my conquest to drive them out of business.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Parents were sold a unit that was to cost $3,000 and was to go wrap around the staircase. When person came to install, they told parents that a different model was ordered and that it would cost another $5,000 to install what they had initially ordered. My parents were very upset and fortunately did not agree to this. When asked about getting deposit back, they were told that it would take a few weeks and to call and check if they didn't get it. Acorn should deliver that deposit to them, just as my parents gave them the deposit the day of the sale. Neither the sales person or Manager took accountability, or offered to do something different for my parents. Be aware.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Spent $10,000 on curved installation of Acorn lift. Warranty after 1st year = $795!!! REALLY? EVERY YEAR?? It's always been temperamental from the start - might get uninterrupted ride up, might stop 2-3 times. We had a problem 6 days after warranty expired and you're STUCK. Find ANOTHER COMPANY!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

When meeting with the salesman in regard to purchasing a new stairlift, he never mentioned that the stairlift MUST be serviced once a year. I have owned the unit for one year, and I have been receiving harassing calls to either sell an extended plan or to set up a maintenance appointment at the cost of $250+. According to the caller, I should have been told that I needed a yearly service call by the person who sold it to me. I told him that I was not informed. If I had been told, I would have performed more research. The caller then stated that the yearly service call was mentioned in the manual. The funny thing is, I did not get the manual until after I bought the unit. On another point, the unit is not functioning properly. Loud chunking sound occurs on the decent (not going up). The problems started right after the warranty ran out. Planned obsolescence... look in the dictionary under Acorn Stair Lift.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

This letter is to make other future customers aware of the problems we have experienced owning an Acorn Stairlift. We purchased an Acorn Stairlift 1 1/2 years ago. My wife and I were involved in a rollover accident in 2013 and she has extensive injuries to the spine as a result of this accident. Stairs are not an option for her as her spine cannot withstand the motion of climbing.

Within approximately eight months of our purchase, still within our warranty, we experienced a very rough ride with the stairlift and asked the company for a representative to check the equipment. The repairman told us the ride was normal and nothing was wrong. We did not agree with this diagnosis but he assured us there was nothing wrong with the equipment.

Approximately six months later, barely over the warranty, the stairlift stopped and we had a repairman return to our house and found a wire was shorted out. The charge for coming to our house was $250.00, which they reduced to $150.00 after I argued extensively. The repair lasted approximately four months before the stairlift quit again. The repairman came back out again and found that the relay switch was faulty and would cost us $600.00 plus a $50.00 service call. At that point we refused to have it repaired. We live on a limited income and cannot afford the repairs.

To purchase an extended warranty on the stairlift would cost $250.00 a year, which the repairman suggested not to purchase because the equipment would not need it and we believed what he suggested as he was the expert. At that point we were forced to getting into a loan to try and purchase another stairlift. This took well over a month of assisting my wife up the stairs from our living space to her bedroom. This motion of walking up the stairs with a broken spine was excruciating for her and put her in such severe pain that she was bedridden for weeks! She could not sleep much or walk much, that was the whole reason of buying the stairlift. Our quality of life was so disrupted that I was forced to go up and down the stairs myself to take care of my wife at 80 years old.

We have since purchased a Savaria Stairlift which cost us twice as much but we have three times the comfort, it runs smooth and quiet with the feeling of stability. Acorn has very poor quality and the company preys on the $250 service calls or the $250 a year warranty. They will stall you off that nothing is wrong with the equipment until the warranty runs out.

Acorn is the most non customer service oriented company we have ever dealt with and service is based on the dollar and not the customer or the quality of their product. They are a complete scam. If we had known we would have wasted our money on this product, we would not have purchased the Acorn whatsoever. This company should not exist. The state elevator inspectors should not approve the use of the Acorn Stairlifts because of their instability and faulty equipment.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

This Acorn Stairlifts does not service their customer. Honestly I bought Acorn Stairlift in 2014. I paid 16000 thousand dollars for one and 2400 for the other. Both of them are broken down. I tried to get service for them. I paid 900 for a new gear box and 300 for batteries. Their service charge is outrageous. Yesterday August 1 I paid three hundred dollars out for new batteries. It still does not work. My wife is crawling up the stairs now. Acorn now want 300.00 to program it because I changed the batteries. This Acorn Company should be shut down. They are very crooked. The stairlift is a terrible quality and you feel like you are going to fall flat on your face. The track cracks like twisting steel, leaks grease all over your carpets, always quits halfway up the stairs. My wife was stuck 5 feet in the air. I had to call 911 to get her off of this lift.

I wish Acorn would be shut down. They are a very crooked company and do not take care of their customers at all as well. They are sell a very low quality stairlift. It's a very expensive piece of junk. Please do not buy this from Acorn Stairlift. Their service is terrible. This just junk. Always breaking down and very expensive to repair. Please call Dave at ** I will give you more information how bad this Acorn Stairlift is. Bad product and a terrible company to deal with. I have 2 stairlifts broken down. Invested 20,000 dollars for junk. Taking them to the dump.

Original review: June 15, 2017

In January of 2017 I contacted Acorn Stairlifts to inquire about one for my 87 & 83 year old parents. I hadn't been in touch with them for 8 years due to circumstances but I reached out to help them because they needed it. I left a message with these guys and had a great talk with the first person I talked with. After explaining the situation that it wasn't for me but for my parents she agreed to not contact me and stuck with her promise. The rest of them didn't. I even got emails from others demanding that I contact them only. Wth? Then the phone calls came and never ended. It's June now.

This went on for months and I kept having to ask these guys to stop harassing me and each time they'd agree but then call me again to try and sell me. Even after the stairlift was installed they STILL kept badgering me. This harassment became relentless and still is. Being on a cell phone I have to pay for every call but they don't care. As long as there's a 'possible' SALE for THEM they don't seem to care who they bother. It's too bad because the stairs themselves seem to be good. Too bad I can't say the same for the people working for them.

BEWARE PEOPLE. Once you call these people or leave any phone number you will NEVER stop hearing from them. They don't answer the phone directly cause they want your number so they can harass you. Don't say I didn't WARN YOU. This company is aggressively relentless in their pursuit of a sale. People do not come first. Sales do.

Original review: June 9, 2017

After many calls and emails the referral cheque has NOT been sent to my brother-in-law, Acorn says it is out of their hands. I'm sure it hasn't been sent. It has been at least a month or more. Wondering about their warranty that I paid extra $ for. Has anyone else had this problem?

Original review: April 20, 2017

I purchase my first chair in 2005, and was happy with the purchase. During the years chair was old, and I wanted to upgrade the chair!!! BIG MISTAKE!!! The only chair they have is nothing to be happy about. The new and only chair was design by a monkey, chair is loose, you feel as if you are going to fall down forward on your face. Track makes more noise than a train at 90 miles an hour, it cracks as if the track is broken. Chair is not orthopedic design for a handicap person with joint problems, the foot rest is so small your feet don't fit in them or you have to bend your legs inward and still you don't have space for your feet. From the moment the chair was install I was not happy. And I want my money back. Your chair is as bad as it can be, a piece of trash. My mistake was not to keep my old one back, if you are looking for a lift, check first BRUNO OR AMERICAN OR GO SOMEPLACE ELSE FOR A BETTER PRODUCT. ACORN IS NOT!!!

Original review: April 7, 2017

I had the Acorn Stairlift installed December 2015, it worked well for the first month and then I started having problems. It quit working while my mom was in it halfway up the stairs, I then called customer service and they instructed me to turn it on/off but that didn't work and they said no one could come out for a few days. My mother had a stroke and it was very difficult to get her out, after that it ran well for a couple months then quit working again in February 2016. I called customer service and it took them a few days to come out. They told me if it was my fault it wasn't working I would be responsible for the 250.00 service charge. When they came out they noticed the harness was loose from the pin connector installer error.

My mother then went into nursing home for a few months. Right before she was to come home I checked lift and it was not working. I then called customer service again. They came out after a few days and changed the battery. It seemed to work fine, my mother ended up passing away and the stairlift was never used again since February 2016. I am now caring for my sister and she requires chairlift, not to my surprise it no longer works. I contacted customer service and they told me my warranty had run out and I would have to pay 250.00 service visit plus parts. I was infuriated I paid 10,200 for this piece of garbage and it had very little use, I have had nothing but problems after the first month. Now they want me to pay 250.00 plus.

It was not used at all since the last time it was fixed. I will be contacting an attorney for being sold a lemon, the least the company can do is refund me some of the money for defective equipment. After reading other reviews I see I'm not alone, this company should not be able to get away with this. I may as well have flushed 10,200 down the toilet. I will be pursuing legal action.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I own an Acorn Stairlift. I paid right around $3000.00 for it. It has not served me well. The reason for the review is to alert others who are considering buying from this company. I purchased it in 2013. It has never been reliable. I've had to make many phone calls due to the various problems. I could not agree to service calls as their rate is way out of my affordable range. The price of their service call was never mentioned when I was purchasing. Their maintenance contract is exorbitant. I'm widowed with just my fixed income. I'm 77. I had Lung Cancer surgery in 2014 along with thirty radiation treatments. I have COPD. I use oxygen at night. I have been receiving injections in my back for degenerative disc disease.

I had to agree to service last week at a price of $250.00 plus $70.00 for a battery, plus $4.20 tax. Total $324.20. I was told that it actually needed a computer board to the tune of $600 some odd dollars. I could not pay that out and was told I could pay half and half later. I could not do it. The Service man installed a battery and instructed me to switch it on and off when I needed to use it. Yesterday the chair slowed down to a crawl and stopped in the middle of the staircase. I had a load of towels in my arm and had to manage the dangerous action of removing myself from the chair.

I called today and said I was not paying another service charge to have them come out. I was told that they would waive that fee but I would be paying the $600.00 for a board. I was reminded that they only had to come here twice since I bought it. I told them it was because I couldn't pay the high fee, but had no choice on the two calls. In all honesty, they reduced the price of the one call last summer when they replaced two switches.

My alternative is to sell my home and find a place on one level. Moving is not easy or affordable for an older person. I thought I was set when I made this move to a townhouse 4 years ago. My legs gave out after six months. I bought an Acorn Stairlifts whose advertisement was and is in AARP magazine. I couldn't have been more wrong. As of now the chair is inoperable. The price of removing it is $200.00. To conclude, my opinion of this company is very low. Their service fees are way too high. I truly sympathize with folks who are badly disabled and are trying to use an Acorn Stairlifts.

UPDATED ON 04/07/2017: To follow up on my bad experience with Acorn Stairlifts. I had no choice but to have the computer board installed. Originally I was told I could make two payments. However, that turned out not to be the case. I was told by the man who said it that He NEVER said that. I had the board installed. The cost was $682.64. This brings the entire repair total to $1006.84.

Original review: March 27, 2017

My wife and I bought two Acorn Stairlifts for our new Townhouse on 8/24/2016. Both were installed on 8/26/2016. Called service 9/22/2016, reset computer 4 times. Called 10/10/2016. Service repair 10/26/2016 rail loose and remote failure. Called again. Service repair 12/14/2016 erratic, rail problem, stops. Service Tech did nothing, tried to ** us, and billed $250.00 for service call. Numerous calls starting 12/01/206 to 12/19/206, charges dropped. Service call 12/20/2016, fixed rail cleaned, adjusted, fixed remotes. Called again 02/21/2017, tech heard problem over phone.

Service repair 02/28/2017 Chair erratic, rail loose, black splotches, pulled chair & cleaned, adjust charge pins, fix remotes. Called again 03/20/2017 remote failure, told to spray rail with WD-40. Called again 03/21/2017 remote ran chair 6 and froze. Service call 03/23/2017 tech rode chair & lectured us, then fixed upper chair, fixed lower chair, replaced mother board, replaced sensors, replaced remotes. 03/23/2017 chair stopped, way jammed. 03/24/2017 lower unit remote jammed, chair 1 ft. up, stopped working. Called again 03/27/2017 wife on phone 1.5 hours. Service call 03/28/2017 to be determined.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I am a carer for a gentleman who is on 24hr oxygen and dependent on his chair lift. I arrived this morning 28/02/2017 with the intention of taking him to see his Oncologist only to find that despite his wife contacting Acorn on Sunday evening when his stairlift broke down, there has been absolutely no support from the engineering side of the company, just a load of waffle.

In the end we had to call the paramedics to assist my client upstairs. No support on Monday and now it is Tuesday. I personally called the office explaining that I urgently needed to get my client to his appointment. I was told that the engineer was in Alton, Hampshire and we are right down on the south coast. I was told that the engineer would call me when he was on his way. It is now 12.20 p.m and NOTHING. It is well known within my field of work that Acorn offer the worst support and now I am seeing it for myself. I would like to speak to John ** personally but understand that he is based in Monaco! This speaks volumes.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I am disgusted by the customer service of this company. For months I and my family have been trying to get some compensation for the problems we had experienced regarding our mother's stair lift and the wrong advice given continually by their customer help desk. My daughter initially recommended them as she works for Lloyds Pharmacy who sell their mobility products. We will not be recommending them to anyone in future.

We were told on at least 2 occasions even by a manager, that they would look into compensation, as my brother lost out on wages due to taking a day off to attend when mother's stair lift was installed. Just as well he was there, as my elderly mother who has had a broken wrist, cancer and dementia would not have coped with the fracas that happened on that day. It was agreed with the salesman/assessor that it would be installed ready for mum coming home from rehab after a fall. This did not occur and had to be installed 2 days after, not good enough.

Then the under trained engineer took four hours to install it, when we were told by the sales assessor originally, it would be 1 and a half hours at most! It was incorrectly installed, although mum could use it thankfully until another engineer came out a week later, but the stair lift juddered halfway up the stairs, as the rail was incorrectly fitted and was kinked.

Then we discovered mother did not have a power swivel seat as agreed with the salesman/assessor on original visit, he had assessed this would meet mother's needs due to her previously broken wrist and arthritis. This has been denied by the case handler as she stated the salesman did not add this to the paperwork, which we trusted he had completed correctly. On requesting this from the helpline we were told they would source one but after chasing this we were informed they do not make these anymore and couldn't get hold of one. BUT the engineer who installed a new rail stated, "You can get power swivels still!"

We sought compensation but heard nothing so we chased this again and I wrote a complaint on an legal ombudsman template. I did ring back the same day but was informed she was not available so I e-mailed the case handler on 2 or 3 occasions and demanded a call or e-mail back the same day. I did not hear anything in the timescale I had requested so I e-mailed again and asked for the complaint to be given to a manager, not a case handler. I was told this had been done and they would contact me, nothing!

I then received a letter stating she had continually tried to ring me but I had only 1 voicemail message from her and no telephone calls. The case handler involved wrote to me stating they do not offer compensation to which I replied we have not been told this before! She did ring me again although it was meant to be a manager and stated for 400 we could have a power swivel!! As I had to return to work my brother took over the call and then someone behind her said, "Offer the power swivel free." I am still fighting for compensation though as the power swivel should have been installed in the beginning anyway. So what have they offered by way of compensation, nothing!

Acorn Stairlifts expert review by Shelley Webb

Acorn Stairlifts has been providing quality products since 1992. The company is based in Orlando, Florida, but has distribution centers around the world.

• They offer a large variety of stairlifts: Users can purchase a stairlift meant for indoor or outdoor use and the company can work with both curved and straight stairways.

• They offer perched seats: Users who have trouble bending their knees may benefit from the use of a perched seat to transport them from floor to floor.

• Outdoor stairlifts are also available: Users can purchase and have stairlifts installed outdoors so that they can enjoy their deck, patio or yard or get out of the house more easily.

• They offer rapid installation: Stairlifts can be installed within 24 hours of purchase.

• They provide a 12-month guarantee: All products are covered for the first 12 months of use, so if they fail to work or don't meet users' needs, they can be returned. The registration card needs to be returned within the first 30 days in order to qualify.

• Best for: people who can’t walk, people with limited mobility, people who have a heart or lung condition, and people who have trouble bending their knees.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
    Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Acorn Stairlifts Company Information