3.5/5 (112 ratings)

Find Stair Lifts near you

About Acorn Stairlifts

Find Stair Lifts near you

Acorn Stairlifts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

I purchased a stairlift for my husband in November 2020. In December of 2021 I was informed that in order to keep the warranty on my chairlift I needed to purchase a yearly maintenance plan in the amount of $795. Initially, I declined, because after paying over $15K for this lift, I felt the plan was way overpriced. However, the salesperson relentlessly, called me two to three times every week. I purchased the plan and was told someone would contact me to schedule an appointment to inspect my stairlift.

I have called this company at least 3 times throughout 2022. Each time I was assured someone would be contacting me to schedule an appointment. The next to the last last call was on September 22, 2022 and I spoke with a manager name Jodi. She once again assured me that someone would be contacting me to schedule an appointment, she blamed on COVID. I requested 2 weeks ago for a full refund from this company.

First of all, $795 a year for an inspection after paying over $15K is a scam. How dare they take advantage of handicap individuals, many with a limited income. Additionally, to add insult to injury take the money and NEVER provide a service. A complete rip-off! In the meantime, I don't know if the machine needs adjusting or not and my handicapped husband and handicapped mother uses it often. I have asked for my money back and the company has yet to respond. So disappointing. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

I have become disabled and my laundry room is in the basement. I ordered my stair lift 14 months ago. Lots of carbon residue, and very expensive. When they called in Sept. to schedule free maintenance, they really scared me with all the terrible things that can go wrong and how expensive they would be, so I purchased 1 yr for $599.00. They couldn't come to service until 12/15, and I decided to terminate the warranty, expecting a rebate of the 10 months remaining. I was told that had to be done within 30 days of purchase. (It's in the fine print on the back of your brochure.) A supervisor (Jody) called and was very unhelpful and continued to tell me how important the warranty is. Do not buy this product! There has got to be something better out there, but now I'm stuck. The service technician was very nice- give him a raise from my $599!

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

Had the lift for almost a year. It works well but did have one breakdown that required a repairman. The worst characteristic of the lift is that the alarm that sounds when the electricity goes off can not be turned off. It can be heard throughout the house, and it is like sitting in your car with the horn alarm blowing with no way to turn it off. Everyone loses power, sometimes for hours or days, and the alarm continues. When asked why and how to fix it I was told by company representatives that it is a safety feature, which is pure **. The company's engineering remedy that I was instructed to do is to put pillows over the sound, which does not help. Unless you are deaf I would not recommend this lift.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

My stairlift has not been working for 3 months called Acorn 4 times they were very nice and told me it’s very hard to get a tech out to Washington State. They said they would put an order in for a tech to get in contact with me. A tech did call me and did come out but I was out of town. I have never heard back from them. This company is unreliable when it comes to service. I would never recommend this company. I have Parkinson’s and several fractured my back which I am having back surgery soon.

Original review: July 11, 2022

When I call for service they tell you they are having heavy volume of calls and put you on hold. After maybe 10 or 15 minutes they tell you to leave a phone # and they will get back to you asap. My complaint is that I should have been given that option from hello. Why did I have to wait 15 minutes to get that option.

Original review: July 4, 2022

The bottom rail of the stairlift covers a heater vent. I contacted the company and the only options were for me to pay them to fix their mistake. Now that heater does not work because it overheats. I'm contacting our state offices that approved this installation.

Original review: June 21, 2022

Purchased straight chairlift in Dec 2020. Purchased annual maintenance contract (ASA1* Straight-ASA1SST) for $250 in Dec 2021. Attempted to schedule appointment in Feb 2022 which was cancelled, rescheduled in April 2022 which was cancelled and rescheduled in June 2022 and rescheduled on Aug 22, 2022. In meantime chairlift has begun to make squeaking and grinding noise during operation. Customer Service has been difficult to get on phone and once informed of problem has been very unhelpful. Not exactly the service we were promised.

Original review: April 14, 2022

I've had the stairlift lift since 2012. I've not had many problems. However, when I have had issues, the techs have resolved them. My problem is not with the lift itself but with customer service. Although I have an annual contract, it is so difficult to set up a service appt unless the annual contract is about to expire. The agent I spoke to today was rude and condescending. I asked to speak with someone else, and got a tongue lashing from the agent before he transferred me. He clearly did not want to send someone out to help with the problem I was having. This happened to be the exact same problem I had with the stairlift 8 months ago when it was serviced. They made it seem the problem was not really a problem.

The best they could do for me was to send a tech out to do an annual inspection (which according the contract) I'm entitled to. And I was told if the problem gets worse to call back. The soonest they could get me an inspection was one whole month from now. I will NOT be renewing my contract with them when it expires in August 2022. I would rather spend more money and buy a brand new one (definitely not the Acorn brand) than to give this company one more dime of my money.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

Short and sweet, when I objected to one of their managers, Erick who works at the customer service dept. due his poor and disrespectful behavior, I said I’ll report you guys to Consumer Affairs, his response: “I’ve heard this thousands of times!" That is how many dissatisfied customers they have. I am throwing this piece of trash which I paid close to 4k out and buy a new one from another company, There are much better companies, don’t waste your money on these people

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

We purchased and had the stairlift installed last February 2021. My husband has heart disease and Parkinsons. It was difficult for him to navigate the stairs because of the heart disease, however, the Parkinsons made the stairs impossible. The salesman came to the house; we discussed the chair and its benefits, and based on his presentation we purchased the chair. Two days later a technician came and installed the chairlift. We were very happy with both of these gentlemen and we were very happy with the chair. Our experience with the chairlift, the initial the salesperson and the installer was great! Based on our experience with both gentlemen we would recommend the chair; The chair works perfectly.

My husband uses the chair 2 times a day. He comes down dressed in the morning and goes up to bed at night. We were happy and recommended the Acorn stairlift to everyone. However, all of that changed when our initial service agreement expired at the end of the year. We have had no issues with the chair. It works perfectly. In one year my husband has used the chair approximately 700+ times. I don't use the chair, and we don't use the chair as a delivery system for stuff going up or coming down the stairs. There are no small children in the house; our grandchildren are adults.

We were very happy with the chair and with Acorn until we received a phone call from the service agreement salesperson. We decided based on our experience with the chair, we were not interested in paying $500+ for the extensive service plan. We would however, pay the $250 to have the equipment checked out. The first time the sales agreement salesperson called my husband hung up on him because he was belligerent. My husband told him we were not interested in the expensive extended service plan. Weeks later the gentleman called again; the conversation continued as before and this time the salesperson hung up on my husband.

Thursday, we received another call and this time it was my turn. The salesperson was belligerent with me. I told him I had no problem paying $250 and having the tech come out and look over the equipment but I thought the other plan was excessive and not needed. I told him if we only use the chair maybe 800 times a year, the chair, and its batteries should last longer than one year. He countered with "people getting their robe caught and coins dropping in the track". Yes, all this could happen but not every year. I told him I would pay $250 but not the $500+. He continued to argue with me, because for him, the expensive service plan was the goal. Finally, he could tell by my tone of voice that I was done and I no longer was going to be polite. He decided that I was not changing my mind he said he would close the account.

For us the initial experience was great. The chair is great! The warranty salesperson was belligerent and rude! The chair fulfilled our needs and based on that I would recommend the chair. But be aware the high pressure is coming at the end of the year! My husband and I have been in customer service and financial services for more than 50 years - we know how to make a person "feel warm and fuzzy" toward our product or service - the high pressure salesperson for the warranty is not the way to do it.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Stair Lift partner.

Acorn Stairlifts author review by Danni White

Acorn Stairlifts has been providing quality products since 1992. The company is based in Orlando, Florida, but has distribution centers around the world.

• They offer a large variety of stairlifts: Users can purchase a stairlift meant for indoor or outdoor use and the company can work with both curved and straight stairways.

• They offer perched seats: Users who have trouble bending their knees may benefit from the use of a perched seat to transport them from floor to floor.

• Outdoor stairlifts are also available: Users can purchase and have stairlifts installed outdoors so that they can enjoy their deck, patio or yard or get out of the house more easily.

• They offer rapid installation: Stairlifts can be installed within 24 hours of purchase.

• They provide a 12-month guarantee: All products are covered for the first 12 months of use, so if they fail to work or don't meet users' needs, they can be returned. The registration card needs to be returned within the first 30 days in order to qualify.

by Danni White ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Danni White is committed to providing valuable resources designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions. Danni specializes in content strategy and development, with over a decade of professional writing and research experience.

Acorn Stairlifts Company Information