2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.70/5

Acorn Stairlifts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I’ve no issues with the Stairlift itself but calling for service to replace the batteries (normal after 3yrs + of use) gave me a shock. First of all when I called the service department number I expected to speak with a technician to book a time however what I got was a big push to purchase their extended warranty @$600 a year! That obviously wasn’t the service department but sales. When I declined the offer I was told a service call would be $300 plus parts. I dare say most Acorn users are older retired people and $300 seems a bit overpriced for me. Just sayin.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

My mother's chairlift started beeping due to a battery needing replacement. With the extended warranty she scheduled a service call. However, THERE IS NO WAY TO STOP THE INCESSANT BEEPING until our appointment in 3 days. You cannot turn it off. The beeping is terrorizing her dogs and is so loud it can be heard in every room in the house with doors closed.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: March 10, 2021

Acorn finally sent an Acorn serviceman who replaced the failed part for about half the cost estimated by prior servicemen and the stairlift has been operating well since then.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Our six year old stairlift has been out of service for almost a year. Very difficult getting technician who then installed unnecessary parts that didn't fix problem. When called to come back he said he had so many problems with Acorn he quit servicing their units. He recommended we scrap our Acorn unit and buy a different brand. Closest service center I can find in the State of Maine is in Portland and they say Lincoln is too far away and won't send a serviceman.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Chair lift installed several years ago.... Heard from the company initially all the time. Attempting to get us to purchase service contract. Did not purchase. Chair acting weird and stalling frequently of late. Phoned for service. Appointment booked for several days away. Technician showed up. Figured it was battery. Seat would not stay up either and one of the arm controls was not working. Repaired all of these things and replaced the batteries, all in about a half hour. Batteries were $70. Service call was $300. Told we can buy the batteries at Canadian Tire but cheaper from Acorn and if purchase from Acorn that instructions are provided. Haven't tried to contact Acorn to confirm this. Hoping the husband can change batteries himself because cost of service call is ridiculous. Glad I did not purchase the extended warranty or cover plans which were all quite costly. Talk about gouging the disabled.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Had a chair lift installed a month ago. Within 2 weeks a cheap plastic panel piece broke off the bottom. Had to wait almost 2 weeks for an appointment to get it fixed. Only took less than 10 minutes to put a new panel cover on. Charged $250 labor, $28 for plastic piece plus tax. I have had auto work done for less. The cost of the stairlift is enormous enough, but their repair cost is outrageous. I have absolutely nothing good to say. I will recommend other companies to people who need installations.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

We hired Acorn to install an Acorn chair lift for $400 that we purchased from a 3rd party. Sent them every measurement upfront (as they requested). They came out and told us that our rails would not work and we needed to spend $800 on new rails (this was a lie). Then he looked at the motor and without touching it, he told us it was uninstalled incorrectly and would have to be repaired or replaced for $1600 more. We sent him away and hired a handyman to do it for $500. Rails and motor worked fine. Now they want us to pay them $250 for the installer showing up. Classic BAIT AND SWITCH. Don't hire Acorn for anything!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

A few words of advice. Go with absolutely any other company than Acorn. They have commissioned sales and service, they have products that are only tied to them so other companies cannot repair or get parts. They gauge you on the price and service warranty, they take up to 2 weeks to come out and to top it off they will harass you with calls until you break and give in. I ended up buying then after many problems turned around and had it uninstalled and replaced by Wheelchair Works which has been great and ended up cheaper.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I am trying to relocate an Acorn stairlift for my handicapped mother whose husband just passed away. The Acorn reps are completely inept, would not extend any assistance and left it to my elderly mother to move and take apart herself. The company is eager to take your money for the install, but could care less about their customers. I highly recommend Williams Stair Lifts in Fanwood NJ. They are excellent and treat their customers with respect. The managers at Acorn are the most insensitive group of people and need a course in what customer service actually means.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

Stairlift works great. When I prepaid for the maintenance, then tried to set up a time, phone number didn't work. I had to call the corporation. They set a date for me. I waited today, four months past my year of installation and they didn't show up. I called and was told the date had been moved but no one called and told me of the move. I'm really frustrated as you get courted to install the lift. You get courted to purchase maintenance, then that's where the service drops the ball. They have you prepay... then you seem to be forgotten to actually do the service.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

My father purchased 2 Acorn stairlifts 6-7 years ago for my mother. The one going upstairs is curved and it has broken about 4 times a year. The salesperson pressured my parents into buying these lifts. She told them they were local. The closest technician lives 100 miles away. We have had technicians come from 200 miles away, that is not local. Often it takes 3 days to get someone to fix it. My mother is 91 and has to crawl up and down the stairs. The annual service contract is over $800 per year. It does not cover batteries which are expensive. If you do not have a contract it costs $250 for them to show up! If your stairlift breaks on a weekend or holiday do not plan on it getting fixed for a long time. DO NOT BUY AN ACORN STAIRLIFT. We are currently looking into replacing the stairlifts.

Acorn Stairlifts author review by Shelley Webb

Acorn Stairlifts has been providing quality products since 1992. The company is based in Orlando, Florida, but has distribution centers around the world.

• They offer a large variety of stairlifts: Users can purchase a stairlift meant for indoor or outdoor use and the company can work with both curved and straight stairways.

• They offer perched seats: Users who have trouble bending their knees may benefit from the use of a perched seat to transport them from floor to floor.

• Outdoor stairlifts are also available: Users can purchase and have stairlifts installed outdoors so that they can enjoy their deck, patio or yard or get out of the house more easily.

• They offer rapid installation: Stairlifts can be installed within 24 hours of purchase.

• They provide a 12-month guarantee: All products are covered for the first 12 months of use, so if they fail to work or don't meet users' needs, they can be returned. The registration card needs to be returned within the first 30 days in order to qualify.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Acorn Stairlifts Company Information