2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.04/5

Acorn Stairlifts Reviews

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I just had a Acorn Stairlifts installed on curved stairs, very nice people, professional, that called and let me know what the next step was, even the phone operators would help and find the right person for me. I went to their offices in Orlando, everyone friendly and helpful, special thank you to Allison, Erica, Norca, Shawn, Russ, and Scott. Scott came to measure and to make sure I received what was needed. Shawn and Russ came to do the installations, everything was done without any problems. I would recommend Acorn to everyone, one of the nicest company I have ever needed to work with. Norma ** 22 Jan 2020.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I have two Acorn stairlifts, a 180 Curve and a 120 Straight. The Straight needed very little service, if any. The Curve required service; but, Acorn provides excellent support. For example, the Curve broke down on July 2, 2019. A service rep was at my house the next afternoon. Since the fix was short term, a rep also appeared the day following the 4th of July holiday and replaced the entire carriage, a value of $5000. I have been completely satisfied with Acorn service. By the way, I purchased a warranty that was in force at the time of repair.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I have had both my Stairlifts since July of 2018. It has been my experience thus far that the lifts have been a Godsend. They have performed flawlessly. Everyone from Acorn has been wonderful... from the salespeople, installers, technicians, to tech support. They are amazing, and really care about their customers and their safety. I personally have years of experience in customer service, and believe me Acorn is top-notch.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I bought two outdoor stair lifts for a beach home 9 months ago. Each time I come back to the house there are issues. This time a service person came out, fixed nothing and actually made it worse. Neither now worked. Two days later they sent out Alex. He was great. He found the problems with both of them. He also fixed the problems caused by the first service guy. He cares about his work and fixes things right. I now see a lot of bad reviews for Acorn service but if you live in SE Gulf area, ask for Alex to come fix your stairs. The stairs are well made, they just need to be installed and used correctly and when something is wrong, get Alex.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Lots of money. Machine works but with 16 stairs, rail installed in sections. Had Acorn return and they could not fix and stated that it would always be bumpy and jerky because of joining rails. Really irritating.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I have been nothing but harassed about the warranty and purchasing a new year to year warranty. Rep, William ** ASA Aftercare Dept. Specialist, calls and harasses me consistently about my parent's stairlift and has even used scare tactics saying that my father needs this chair and that I have to pay their extra fees if anything happens. This is even though if you need anything in or out of warranty you have to pay for a tech to come out no matter what!! This is a year to year SCAM to prey on the elderly and Acorn and this rep should be ashamed of themselves!!!

Resolution response: March 5, 2020

They came, were gracious and professional, and fixed everything. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Our stairlift was installed at our home in Waldorf, MD in November 2019. The stairlift was never installed correctly. The installer showed up smelling of cigarettes (and so did all the parts), and it was clear from the moment he walked in the door that he did not want to be there. The rails were not installed correctly. The joists on the rails on which the chair glides weren't flush in several places, and the chair knocks every time it goes over the uneven joists. Because the rollers on the chair literally scrapes every time it goes over the uneven joists, the rollers have already started to wear down, and it's only been 3 months. The rail needs to be reinstalled. We had two service appointments to come look at the issue, but at each appointment, the technician said that they weren't installers and weren't the type of technician needed to fix the issue.

After the second service appointment, I called to complain, and was told a manager would call me back. After a week, no manager called me back. I called the service number again, and they found a manger who would speak to me. The manager told me to find my pamphlet where it says that bumps are common and that I should accept it. I told him that we don't feel safe on the stairlift, and he (reluctantly) set up an appointment for a technician to come look at the problem. The technician ran several hours late that day and we had to reschedule.

We rescheduled for February 14, but at 6 o'clock on February 13, we got a call saying they were cancelling on us again. Unfortunately, I'm having major surgery on February 18 and we need the stairlift fixed now. We're making arrangements for me to stay somewhere else, and we'll have to reschedule now for late March, which is after the 4-month warranty. We couldn't be more furious. Acorn's horrible product and horrible service are matched only by the deep disrespect we feel from this company. Do not waste your money. The stairlift is shoddy. They won't come fix it. I don't know what your losses will be, but for us, if they don't resolve the issue, we'll be out nearly $11,000.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

They won’t sell parts (batteries in my case) without sending a service rep. Get this: The batteries are over $200 and the fee for the service call is $250. This company is preying on the elderly and disabled. They should be fined. Do NOT buy an Acorn Stairlift!!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

My parents purchased a curved stairlift about a year and a half ago. At a price of $13,000! My Mom had numerous problems with it which resulted in many tech visits. My Mom recently passed away and the lift is no longer needed. I called the Stairlift Corporation and was told for a fee of $400 they will come and remove the lift but it’s up to us to resell it!!!! It is only a year and a half old. They spent $13,000 already and now they want to charge more!! I would not recommend this product to anyone I know for no other reason then. It’s expensive~it was extremely difficult to get them to stand behind the product and without talking to a supervisor at Corporate in Florida or the Regional Manager for the area my parents live in. It’s sad elderly people have to go through anything that my parents and sister have gone through!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Bought the stairlift. It worked great. Manual says it requires yearly maintenance but you can’t get them to come out and service it! Now it’s making noises and slowing down, not the battery! Replaced it, the battery, last year using a YouTube video reference. Very poor customer support.

Acorn Stairlifts expert review by Shelley Webb

Acorn Stairlifts has been providing quality products since 1992. The company is based in Orlando, Florida, but has distribution centers around the world.

• They offer a large variety of stairlifts: Users can purchase a stairlift meant for indoor or outdoor use and the company can work with both curved and straight stairways.

• They offer perched seats: Users who have trouble bending their knees may benefit from the use of a perched seat to transport them from floor to floor.

• Outdoor stairlifts are also available: Users can purchase and have stairlifts installed outdoors so that they can enjoy their deck, patio or yard or get out of the house more easily.

• They offer rapid installation: Stairlifts can be installed within 24 hours of purchase.

• They provide a 12-month guarantee: All products are covered for the first 12 months of use, so if they fail to work or don't meet users' needs, they can be returned. The registration card needs to be returned within the first 30 days in order to qualify.

• Best for: people who can’t walk, people with limited mobility, people who have a heart or lung condition, and people who have trouble bending their knees.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Acorn Stairlifts Company Information