2.31/5

Need a good stair lift company?

Acorn Stairlifts

Need a good stair lift company?

182 Acorn Stairlifts Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 21, 2019

I bought two outdoor stair lifts for a beach home 9 months ago. Each time I come back to the house there are issues. This time a service person came out, fixed nothing and actually made it worse. Neither now worked. Two days later they sent out Alex. He was great. He found the problems with both of them. He also fixed the problems caused by the first service guy. He cares about his work and fixes things right. I now see a lot of bad reviews for Acorn service but if you live in SE Gulf area, ask for Alex to come fix your stairs. The stairs are well made, they just need to be installed and used correctly and when something is wrong, get Alex.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Lots of money. Machine works but with 16 stairs, rail installed in sections. Had Acorn return and they could not fix and stated that it would always be bumpy and jerky because of joining rails. Really irritating.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Be aware that on the 130 Straight Stairlift, it doesn't have the Standard Park function where the footrest is level with the top step, where both feet are level with the landing. You have to use your feet to push yourself around to a 90 degree angle to step off the chair onto the landing. This can be a problem if you have foot or leg problems. The curved stair lift apparently has this function. Otherwise I was very pleased with the chair and its installation.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

There were two things that impressed me about my experience with the Acorn salesperson. Firstly, she was very well trained, and technically knew her product from top to bottom. I could ascertain this due to my past experience. She also believed in the product she was selling whole heartedly. Michaela **, recognized immediately that my wife Nancy was physically in a bad way (three major knee surgeries, and living on our second floor). I closely observed her as she took measurements and other requirements to see if we could accommodate a stairlift in our 1937 built home. Lastly, after a successful outcome, we talked. Most salespeople are usually anxious to complete their sale and move on. Michaela not only took the time to answer all our questions, but also get to know each other on a personal basis. It was a lovely experience. The product itself was installed quickly and is operating far above our expectations.

Acorn Stairlifts response

Hi James,

We thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and providing us with a 5 Star rating. We appreciate your business and are pleased you are enjoying the use of your stairlift!

Sincerely,

The Acorn Team

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

The Acorn Stairlift has made a real difference in our lives, especially my husband's life. He is now able to mobilize down the stairs in the garage to his vehicle without the worry of a fall. Because of this, he now leaves the house more often and can really enjoy life again and not feel so confined to our home. I can see the difference in his disposition and outlook on life. This is all because of his Acorn Stairlift. There is not a day that goes by that he does not express how thankful he is and how much better he feels! He exclaims that it is one of the best purchases we have ever made! Thank you, Acorn Stairlift!!!

Acorn Stairlifts response

Hi Virginia,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are pleased to hear how much your husband loves his new stairlift. It was sincerely our pleasure to help!

Many Thanks,

The Acorn Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Stair lift for my 104 year old WW2 vet father. The salesperson came out gave us a quote. He saw that our father was a vet and gave us a "discount". We found later the VA would of paid for it. Acorn knows that the VA would of paid for the lift. He just wanted his commission. He tried to pressure us into outside. Left. Thank goodness we didn't bite, because the VA is having it installed.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

For the initial 10 months the chair operated well. However, once problems start, they seem to never end. The most recent trouble- the chair goes up and down the steps on its own. Because seniors depend on this 11,000.00 lift to navigate the house, it is a nightmare and totally unreliable.

Original review: July 29, 2019

We purchased a BROOKS STAIRLIFT in 2012. Acorn makes this stairlift. This year 2019 the stairlift stopped working. Our manuals have Acorn's number listed for technical support. When we called them we got a terrible runaround. "How do we know you purchased it new?" They emailed me a form to fill out, I needed to take pictures and measurements to make sure it was installed right. It ran for 7 years with no problems, no service calls. I wasn't looking for a warranty. Just a service call. After 7 years I realized we had the original battery in the stairlift. I got a company in Albany to service it, they changed the battery and did a service maintenance, oiled rail, etc. They came a day after I called them. I will never use Acorn again. I did purchase an Acorn Stairlift in Florida in February 2019 and was told that this is the way this company operates. I will tell all my old friends to stay away from Acorn if they need a stairlift. Patricia **

Original review: July 26, 2019

We had Acorn put in a lift several years ago and were satisfied. We had contacted them and had a salesman come out a few weeks ago. We were having 2 stairlifts installed both with 90 degree turns. We gave them a $2000.00 deposit and were contacted Wednesday that the install would be Thursday 7-25-19 and the check for the balance was to be $20,983.00. When the salesman was here a door at the top of the stairs leading to the basement needed to be expanded from the 26 inches to 30. We had a contractor come and open it up to 32 inches. When they called Wednesday to give us the total they also wanted proof the door had been expanded. I informed the caller it was completed to 32 inches and was told we had to take a picture with a tape measure and text it to prove the door had been fixed. Really?

As it turned out the installer was only able to install 1 lift yesterday and was to return Saturday for the other installation. Since the check was written as requested for both, the installer called his supervisor and was told we would have to write another check. We informed him the office was closed and another company check couldn't be written until Friday morning. He called his supervisor back and was told either they get the check to be paid in full for both lifts or a new check or to dismantle the lift so my wife would have no way to get upstairs. The installer was as in disbelief as much as my wife and I were. We had to end up writing a personal check to stop this confrontation from getting completely out of hand. No customer especially a returning customer should be subject to this kind of treatment. Needless to say another company will install the other lift and never again will I deal with Acorn.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I would have given no stars if that was an option. My dad is 93 years old and can not make the stairs any longer. We pay a yearly service fee for Acorn which allows the chair to be serviced and be able to get service appointments quicker. However, this is not the truth. We had our chair serviced and was told everything was fine but two weeks later, July 4th, the chair wasn't working perfectly. The technician came out that Friday to fix the "computer board" but the chair was making noises that it wasn't making before the service call.

The technician rest assured me that the chair is safe and that the noise will be fixed with another part. Hence, a different technician came out this morning and we are told another part is needed which needs to be ordered. Now the chair is UNSAFE to use. The part is being ordered through their NJ warehouse and won't arrive until sometime tomorrow late afternoon. Thursday the technician is totally booked and even though we offered to pay him overtime they refused. They are supposed to be coming out Friday at 3PM. So I guess my 93 year old dad is stuck sleeping on a chair??? How does he get to his bedroom? There is nothing they can do for us. This is unacceptable!!!! Find another company because we sure hell will.

Acorn Stairlifts expert review by Shelley Webb

Acorn Stairlifts has been providing quality products since 1992. The company is based in Orlando, Florida, but has distribution centers around the world.

• They offer a large variety of stairlifts: Users can purchase a stairlift meant for indoor or outdoor use and the company can work with both curved and straight stairways.

• They offer perched seats: Users who have trouble bending their knees may benefit from the use of a perched seat to transport them from floor to floor.

• Outdoor stairlifts are also available: Users can purchase and have stairlifts installed outdoors so that they can enjoy their deck, patio or yard or get out of the house more easily.

• They offer rapid installation: Stairlifts can be installed within 24 hours of purchase.

• They provide a 12-month guarantee: All products are covered for the first 12 months of use, so if they fail to work or don't meet users' needs, they can be returned. The registration card needs to be returned within the first 30 days in order to qualify.

• Best for: people who can’t walk, people with limited mobility, people who have a heart or lung condition, and people who have trouble bending their knees.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
      Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Acorn Stairlifts Company Information