Acorn Stairlifts

4,403people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Acorn Stairlifts:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

My elderly neighbour purchased a stairlift from Acorn about 1 month ago. But it broke down with her on it - she was in the middle of the stairs. We rang the Customer Service and spoke to a woman who said that an engineer would be with her in 24 hours. This is a 90 year old woman who is stuck on her stairlift which won't move in the middle of the stairs. THIS IS DISGRACEFUL! HOW CAN THEY BE HAPPY TO LEAVE A 90 YEAR OLD LADY WHO IS DISTRESSED AND STUCK FOR SO LONG. The woman we spoke to was so unconcerned about it. In the end, we had to call the fire brigade who were here within 5 minutes. I would never recommend this company.

My father is now 81. He bought a stairlift 20 months ago from Acorn. It has now broken down and needs a new unit. He bought this for himself as he has severe arthritis, also my mum who died last year. He cannot get up and down the stairs. Acorn want him to buy a warranty or obviously he will have to pay for a new unit. Not built to last. Would not recommend the company to anyone.

My mother purchased an Acorn Stairlift for my father who was confined to a wheelchair after his leg was amputated. When we called about purchasing the stairlift everyone was so helpful. We explained my father's situation and the Acorn representative and installer said everything would be fine with him getting out of the wheelchair and into the stair lift. First, the salesman told my mother it would cost $350 for an estimate. That was never told to my mother. We told the salesman and installer the height of the wheelchair and asked if it was the same height as the stair lift. They both said "yes, of course". Unfortunately, it wasn't and the stairlift was too high and my father was unable to get from the wheelchair into the stairlift.

We made numerous calls to Acorn and their only solution was to give us $500 for our problem, a minimal amount of the $10,000 that we spent on this stairlift. We didn't want to remove it because we were hoping that my father would get stronger and he would be able to lift himself into the stair lift. Unfortunately my father passed away and was never able to use the stairlift. We continued to call Acorn and when we finally got in touch with someone they offered to take the stairlift out and take it and not give my mother any money for it. Wow, what a great deal. Now my mother is stuck with a stairlift and out $9,500 which is very tough on an elderly people living alone. Acorn never cared and that's what really bothered us.

I have severe degenerative arthritis, most prominently in my left hip. I walk with a cane. Recently I have filled out paperwork to various health care providers which indicated my mobility issues and the arthritis. Shortly after that I started receiving phone calls from Acorn. One went to my voicemail. The woman claimed she was "returning my call regarding MY recent inquiry into purchasing a stairlift for myself or a loved one." They also used my name in the message, so it wasn't a random mistake. I never called them. The timing is exceedingly suspicious considering the recent paperwork I filled out. I must have gotten on some list as a target for a possible sale.

If you don't talk to a live person the phone menu has an option to press 1 to be removed from their call list. It doesn't work. All that happened the two times I allegedly removed myself from their list was receipt of more sales calls in less than five minutes after my phone number showed up on their caller ID. I would much prefer to find out exactly who provided my contact info to Acorn, but of course nobody is going to admit that. Still, shame on them for preying on someone who has a problem and pretending that I was the one that first contacted them. I find this marketing tactic to be borderline criminal. If I ever should get a stairlift it certainly will not be from Acorn.

We installed this stairlift in June of 2013. We needed it as we are older and each of us was to receive a total knee replacement. Our house has three floors, basement, first and second; the stairway has four short flights and two landings. The initial cost was US$12,500. This seemed high but was in line with the few other companies offering curved stairlifts. The initial installation was done in one day. The technician was personable and easy to talk to. Other techs have also been easy to deal with. Most services cost US$250 plus parts.

The stairlift worked OK but was very slow. The remotes had a very limited range and the receiver in the chair tended to lose the signal very easily. The company had no fix for this at the time, so I installed a shielded cable to extend the chair's antenna away from the metal enclosure below the chair. I also modified the remotes to have a toggle switch rather than a push button so we did not have to hold the button down for several minutes waiting for the chair to arrive. A week after installation, we called the tech to slow the chair down as my wife was uncomfortable with the speed, especially around corners. No charge for this call.

In December 2013, the chair had become noisy. The tech tightened some of the support legs and adjusted the programming. US$250. In November of 2014 chair was issuing error codes on its display that indicated that the batteries were not being charged. It appeared not to be connecting properly to the charge point on the second floor. The tech adjusted the charging pick up points, replaced the chair's batteries and reprogrammed the chair. US$250. In April of 2015, the chair was noisy and not stopping at the floor correctly. Some internal cables were preventing the over speed governor from operating correctly. No charge. The next day, the tech replaced the batteries again and replaced the over speed governor. US$722.

In January of 2016, the chair was making clunking sounds. An improved version of the circuit board and remotes has become available. The tech replaced the circuit board, some wiring, the charging power supply, the batteries and provided three remotes. US$1000. He had to return the next day to replace a damaged guide roller that he did not have in his service truck. He once again had to reprogram the chair. The remotes now use Bluetooth to communicate with the chair and have a range of at least 30 ft. (10 meters). My external antenna is no longer needed. The new circuit also outputs a much larger range of error codes, which helpful.

In May of 2016 the internal connector for the levelling mechanism became partially disconnected and the levelling function of the chair failed. The tech reconnected this, moved some internal cables out of the way and reprogrammed the chair. US$250. In July of 2016 on Saturday evening, the levelling function failed once again. This time, having watched and talked with the techs in the past, I examined the circuit board and found that one of the power connectors for the levelling motor had broken off the board as a result of some cable pushing against it. I soldered a new connector in place, levelled the chair manually, moved the chair manually to its charge point and then was able to run the chair up to the beginning of the track on the second floor. This enabled the chair controller to "find" the beginning of the track. The chair then worked correctly. My repair took an hour or so.

It's clear to us that while the Acorn stairlift has some clever features, it is poorly engineered for long use. Our US$12,500 stairlift has cost us US$2472 in service calls in about 3 years of use. Lately, Acorn has been calling us and sending literature for a yearly service agreement for US$750 per year. That's US$2250 over three years. They obviously know that these stairlifts are expensive to maintain. Acorn is advertised heavily in the print media. One would hope these stairlifts were built to a standard at least close to medical equipment as they serve a similar purpose. My wife uses the stairlift daily. If it dies, we may be in a very bad situation. We're lucky in that I have some technical knowledge and can diagnose and fix simple problems with the chair. An unresolved problem so far is that the seat bottom has partially broken, causing it to tilt forward more than is comfortable. I can't in good conscience recommend an Acorn stairlift to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?

Do not buy a chair from this company. We have purchased a chair lift for my father-in-law in August 2015. It was NOT a refurbished chair but a brand new one for which we paid US$9100. It has been 11 months and the chair has malfunctioned 5 times. Each time my father-in-law was stuck upstairs or had to be taken upstairs with great difficulty and spend at least 3 days there each time since the company on top of having continuous issues with their product also does not have sufficient technicians to provide service within a day or 2 but takes 4-5 days before they can even come and diagnose the problem.

We have had to take time off each time from our work which is an additional burden. Now that the 1 year mark is coming up we have received a service contract which will cost us over US$700 a year which we will HAVE TO purchase since the chair does not last 2 months without something breaking. I am writing this review after having had to call them back for yet another failure only 6 days after the last service.

I've purchased my stairlift which they gave me a price of 2800. When he got here they charge me a service agreement that bring it up to about 4000. Now the chair is broken. It's the one year $400 service agreement I paid and they want me to pay it again and I called the local company called Mr. Wheelchair and they came out and diagnosed it for $90 and they took the $90 off the repair once I got it done. The $90 losing keys I didn't get the repair done which was much more affordable than Acorn plus I was very happy with Mr. Wheelchair and I would recommend them. Call Mike at 215-333-7303. He sells new and used on this also.

I purchased an Acorn Stairlift which was installed March of 2015. It has hardly been used. We had an error code in July of 2015 and the company sent a tech who said there were two fixes and he went with the cheaper fix. The stairlift worked for about a year, although we didn't use it very much and now they want mega bucks just to show up. I asked about returning it and they said no. I asked about selling it back and they said no. Do not buy an Acorn Stairlift. Ours is unreliable and their service is expensive.

I have tried for almost a year to sell or donate a Acorn stairlift (I spent $10K used for 3 months only, still under warranty!) to a multiplicity of charities or to a family in need. No one will take it on and even third party resellers will not deal with Acorn as they will not support their product. Even when I agreed to pay a removal fee, Acorn refused to take back what they had manufactured. The company has no interest in taking it back as clearly it is easier and more profitable to sell new lifts. They have no program to support charitable redirection or recycling of its products, even though their brochure says they promote recycling. (I am confident that in Europe - where Acorns international headquarters is - this would not be allowed).

I cannot bear to look at this thing any longer in my home. The company leaves the consumer with no alternative but to contribute pounds of metal to landfill. I tried calling the company president (does one exist) numerous times with no response. Customer service was absolutely terrible in terms of trying to assist me. Do not buy this unless you are planning on keeping it forever!!

We purchased an Acorn stairlift for my mother who had a massive stroke and had fallen and broken her hip. She was still in the nursing home when we had it install. The next day after installation it totally stopped working. So they had to come and work on it - they got it working. We used it once to get her into the house. Then we used it several times just by experimenting with it me and my husband. Everything seem to be working good the battery was lit up. I would guess to say we might have used it maybe 3x at the most. But then all of a sudden a year after we purchased it the light went out and we absolutely cannot get it working.

I called the company and of course it was two weeks after the warranty have ended possibly three. This product is absolutely worthless. I wouldn't purchase one of these ever again in my life. I have never seen such poor quality and service. There is something wrong with the way these are made that the connections come loose. I just don't know what to do then all this money for something that doesn't work. I recommend do not buy this product - you will be definitely sorry. All I want is it fixed.

I purchased the Acorn Stairlift for my mother. She has passed and I did not use the chairlift. I tried to use it in March and it would not turn on. I had the technician come out on March 10, 2016. He said that the battery was dead and I needed a new battery at the tune of $277.96. I have been out of the country for almost two months. I return try to start the chairlift and again it will not turn on. I can't see how a battery has died again. Please tell me what is my next step to reach a solution.

We had an Acorn Stair Lift installed in April 2015 and we were assured that if something goes wrong that they will send a technician immediately. They gave us the impression that their customer service was great and we would not have to worry about the lift. What they didn't tell us that there is only a one year warranty nor did they tell us as part of the warranty that we could have a technician come once during the year to check the unit and make sure everything is running as it should.

In late April after the warranty expired they sent us a letter advising us that the warranty expired and it would cost $800 for another year plus tax and the letter pretty much indicated that if you didn't purchase the warranty you would not get the best service. It was when reading the warranty information that we found out that we could have and probably should have the annual check up before the warranty expired. Had they sent us this letter before it expired, we would have taken advantage of the annual check up. Obviously they send the letter out after it expires so the buyer didn't have a chance to get the annual check up.

Being afraid that we would be stranded for God knows how long before a technician would come to repair the unit, we felt pressured to purchase this warranty and sent payment to them only to have them call us today to inform us that we have to pay tax on the warranty and we have to pay them another $55. Fortunately we haven't really had any issues and hopefully this will continue to be the case. We have a curved staircase and the unit goes so slowly that it takes about 4 minutes to go up 13 steps which seems to be ridiculous. We should have done more research on this company before we purchased the stair lift.

My Acorn Model 180 Stair-Lift has not worked correctly for 24 hours since it was installed on 02-15-2016. I am now waiting for my 3rd Service Appointment scheduled for 04/27/2016. In addition, their accounting department does not return phone calls in order to provide the detailed invoice documentation required for tax purposes. Even though, the lift is NOT covered by insurance, there are some tax deductions that are eligible with proper documentation. If it does not work properly after this service call I will have it removed and pursue a full refund.

I have been trying to have a service tech come and reinstall and service a lift for 2 months. It took 3 weeks just to get a confirmed service date. Two days prior to this date I received a call saying the service tech had "broken his back" and would have to reschedule for two weeks. I felt bad for the tech that I did not question the chances that two weeks would cure a broken back or why was there not another tech available. The morning of the second date I received a call that he still would not be able to come.

I asked if there were someone else and I was informed he was the only tech available for the area. This is not acceptable. We live in a large service area (Greater Vancouver) and only 1 tech available! I have a lady with a disability who can not access her whole house. Acorn cares not for this issue. I am unable to speak to anyone. I have and will continue to recommend people seek a stairlift from other companies. I just wish we weren't stuck having to deal with Acorn ourself. Their service call fee is also the highest I have heard of.

I have never been so upset and disrespected from a salesman before. My mother and father-in-law were getting a quote from Acorn Stairlifts company in Ohio yesterday. I don't feel like she needs one but this is not the point. I am sitting in the room and listening to this male being ignorant. My mother-in-law was trying to write down a number and he was getting irritated that she was having trouble and just kept repeating "let me just do it" in a loud tone. That upset me a little bit but not nearly as bad as what was coming next. My fiance and I help his mother and father because they are elderly and are having some health issues. This man "Dave" has the nerve to tell my mother-in-law that we should pay her 800$ in rent to live in the basement, and that this is her money, she does not need to take our advice. Which may I add is about 4000$ investment that we do not need. We are able to do it and help (the reason why we are there).

He then goes on and asks what my fiance does and his age and says about his son is grown and not living at home. (I am furious but I am respectful so I just sat there and kept listening). He then goes on, not knowing her health, tell her to get prescribed this steroid from the doctor have it by the time it's installed and she will not pay tax!!! What!! This is tax evasion (the illegal nonpayment or underpayment of tax) which is Fraud!!! And because of some issues she should not be taking anymore medication than she already is... He had her call her bank and see how much money... She had enough and he asked for her card and got all the paperwork. My mother-in-law and father-in-law asked how much a month and were worried about getting the money on time. The man kept saying "it's ok just talk to them." which he has no idea he just wants his sale.

I couldn't hold it anymore. I walked out, slammed the door, and went into the bathroom still trying to be respectful but knowing I am there, he rushes out and says "have a good day." I know as a salesman you are to sell things but you do not push and disrespect someone's family under any circumstance!!! I have called this company twice and left messages and I will do so a couple times a day until Monday then I will be taking the next steps. This company is terrible and I would not go through them if you are in need of their product.

I'm an Electrical Engineer and General Contractor who has installed complex plant equipment for British Petroleum, Michelin and other very large companies and Acorn has set a low mark for terrible customer service and unit dependability. In the five months that the unit has been installed, it has never worked for any two-week time frame. The service manager out of Orlando came out to see the initial install and promptly removed the entire lift and install it correctly but it still malfunctions regularly. This time for 3 weeks it's been stopped in mid-trip as many as 5 times and finally it's died. The repair people have no way to diagnose and intermittent problem and now want to start charging $250 per visit. POOR SERVICE AND TERRIBLE EQUIPMENT. Do not do business with this company no matter how pleasant the salesperson appears!! Buyer Beware!!

Many thanks to those of you who took time to write a review of this so-called "company." From the start, I sensed a lack of professionalism in their phone/email communication. For one, they would call repeatedly and never leave a message, which was HARASSING! A salesperson was to visit and I was called by the receptionist to determine the address and best route to take, as the salesperson did not seem able to do this. I spoke to the manager, who had the audacity to ask if I would drive to a location to meet the salesperson!!! This certainly did not bode well for future service calls and no doubt these would be numerous, based on your feedback. This spelled scam to me, so I went to the internet to discover an extreme level of dissatisfaction with ACORN. Thanks to your comments, you have SAVED at least this one customer from a rip-off!

We have the 120 model and wish we never heard of the company. Two weeks after it was installed we had to have them come out because of the thumping noise that got louder and louder every time it was used. First they tried to claim it was a due to our failure to lubricate the gears properly. This was at 2 weeks.

At 7 weeks the return spring on the handle popped off the pins that hold it in place. Once again they tried to put the blame on us but that failed because the screws holding the handle together had no marks on them.

At 3 months we had an internal part fall out and had no idea where it came from. After 2 hours and 45 minutes the tech was finally putting it back together only to have the screws fall out 3 days later. We called and tried to have them come out and fix it but since we could not find the screw it was not a warranty issue. They wanted either 225.00 or 255.00 to come out and replace the screw and then charge me up to 20.00 for the "special screws" that cost me .07 cents each at the local hardware store.

4 more issues and 4 more visits where each time they tried to charge the full service charge even after the tech made it clear that it was a warranty issue. Then at 14.5 months the chair stopped halfway up the stairs and had no power at all. So I went out and purchased replacement batteries and installed them myself but that did not solve the problem. This time I was forced to pay the service charge. The tech was here for over 3 hours and could not figure out what the issue was and told us the 14.5 month old stair climber was shot and needed to be replaced.

After numerous phone calls he finally figured out that the motor brushes had melted and welded themselves to the shaft. He cleaned that up and got the chair going but says the chair is shot and needs to be replaced and the funny part was he did not recommend another Acorn, not that I would ever consider buying another one from them to start with. On top of the brushes several other parts were defective and he had to replace them.

Now at 16 months we are looking at other brands of stair climbers. Just a word about lubricating the drive gear. Don't waste your money on w 40 stuff. Just take about a teaspoon of vaseline or some other petroleum jelly and apply the blob about a foot up the rail on the teeth. Then send your chair up and down a couple of times to make sure it is well lubricated. Just remember that before you apply any type of lubricant that the teeth and rails are clean and dry. I do my wife's every 6-8 weeks like the last tech recommended and it is nice and quiet. Also I have one of the chairs that is in the group of recall numbers. I called Acorn and gave them the numbers and promptly got a "that number is not one of the recalled units" and then it was click and she hung up. This time I am going to research every manufacturer in my area and get my wife a better unit. GOOD LUCK.

Thirty-three hours after we called Acorn, a technician came to the house and repaired the stair lift. A wire had come loose. It took him fifteen minutes to fix the problem. The lift is now operating as it should. I think the product is well designed, reasonably easily installed and my elderly father can use it without difficulty. The lack of prompt emergency service, however, undermines all the positives. Acorn does not seem to understand that all things break down and part of the sale of equipment such as this MUST include a prompt service guarantee. I called the company a second time on the day the lift malfunctioned and filed a complaint with a manager. He agreed with me and said he would pass on the information. Almost a week later, I still have not heard from the company.

Original Review

I bought a stairlift so my 87 year old father could visit and stay with me. The installation of the Acorn stairlift was easy and straightforward. The apparatus occupies about 1/3 of the width of the staircase, a little more than I anticipated or expected but I can get around the chair as long as the seat, footstep and arms are raised. About three months after the installation, my father visited and we encountered no problems during his daily use of the system.

Six months after the installation, still within the 1 year warranty period, my father woke up and used the chair to descend to the main floor and, when he attempted to raise it to its charging position on the rail (using the remote), the chair would not move. I called the company (8:30AM) and the best they could do was to schedule a technician to come the next day. So, my father is now stuck on the ground floor with no way of accessing the room he sleeps in nor the bathroom he bathes in.

If a company is going to cater to the needs of the elderly, they must have services available to repair their product the same day. Otherwise, this segment of the population, entirely dependent on this equipment, is more than just inconvenienced. I would recommend that a person interested in installing a stairlift look at another company and ask for a written guarantee of service in a timely manner, should their product malfunction. I wrote this review on the day the chair malfunctioned. We shall see what happens tomorrow. In the meantime, where will my father sleep tonight? There is a half bath toilet on the floor, so at least these needs can be met. He will not be able to shower, however.

Was told by salesperson the machine was made in America. Come to find out they are manufactured overseas, only batteries made in USA, every part comes from another country. Also told the warranty was for as long as I owned it, now am told warranty is only one year. The chair was for a friend of mine that I help to purchase. Feel I let him down choosing Acorn.

The installation went well, but in less than one year two new sets of batteries failed and had to be replaced at a cost of $505 dollars per visit by the Acorn service technician. Their own website says the batteries cost $35 per battery and the unit requires two. How can they not guarantee a battery for longer than 3 months on a device that depends on batteries for use. They offered no discount on the needed replacement. This is an example of exorbitant gouging and ill will on the part of the company. Extremely disappointed. Please feel free to contact me if you would like any details or discouragement from not buying a stairlift through them.

My parents (in their late 80's) purchased Acorn Stairlift in April, 2015. Recently, they have heard a grinding noise when chair reaches top or bottom. I called acorn & was told this was a "maintenance issue" and not covered by warranty. They instructed me to spray wd40 on a rag and lubricate the "bottom bolts under rail". What??? You sell these things to people who can't walk downstairs & you expect them to lubricate it???? Not all elderly people have anyone to help them with this!! I tried to do this but couldn't find the "bolts" they were talking about. I am in my 60's & I need to do this??? They never mentioned when they purchased this that they needed to lubricate it! This is ridiculous!!!

I am in the process of purchasing a stairlift for my mother in law so I am looking at three vendors. In November 2008, I purchased an Acorn 120 Stairlift directly from Acorn. I am reading these Acorn reviews and cannot believe this is the same company. Acorn was great ordering by phone/website and came to my mother's within a week. The installation and service was fantastic. All was fine until a year later, there was a problem. The error code defined it as some circuit board. Acorn mailed us another one with directions and was easily replaceable.

A few years later, it became noisy, which I resolved with silicon spray. Five years after purchase, I replaced the batteries (from Amazon) only because it was recommended. 7 1/2 years later, being used several times a day, every day, it works like new. I would not hesitate buying another. I understand that most people write into these things to complain, but for someone looking to purchase a new stairlift, they need to know that for every complaint, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of very satisfied customers.

My mother has bought a 2nd stair-lift which was installed by myself. The batteries had run down and turns out the charger adapter has gone bad. I rang the service department who insisted I give them the serial number, so they can verify the account. When I told them it was purchased 2nd hand the lady turned very ** asking why I purchased a second hand stair-lift. It was like she was unhappy because I purchased one 2nd hand. She was very, very rude.

All I asked was if I could buy another charger and she flew right off the handle and said, “No, we cannot sell you one because you DID NOT BUY IT FROM US!!" Nor can they give me any advice as to where I may buy another one from as it's a 33v charger – a bit hard to get hold of. This is disgusting and a complete lack of service. I was trying to reason with the lady over the phone, she hung up on me. I am utterly outraged... Word of advice to anyone if you buy a 2nd hand Acorn stair-lift: Acorn will not be of any help to you. If I remembered the lady’s name I would name and shame the nasty **.

I was told the cost of an inspection would be $1,000.00. My 2 chairs would both be inspected and the time it would take would be 45 minutes per chair. That was astounding news! I replied that I could not afford to have it inspected. Now one of the chairs won't move so I can't use it. Yes, I put a new battery into the remote control. I believe there is a problem in the tract. I am retired so I will need to take money out of my retirement account as I NEED THE CHAIR. I think such a fee should not even be legal! The purchase of the chairs is under the name of my landlord as we shared the cost. His name is Gerhard **. He has the order# so I'll need to submit it later. I'll get it ASAP.

August 12th 2015. My husband was told that he is terminally ill. He can no longer walk more than a few steps, so we have had a lot of expense trying to make life easier for him. A chair lift was needed. Having read the pamphlets, we were impressed and thought we had found the answer. It has been horrendous. It bumps, grinds, and has even stopped midway. At 73yrs I had to lift my husband off the chair. It is constantly beeping. It tilts rather than levels out when it comes to the bend. We have called, and the wait time for service is appalling. None in Kelowna. This certainly is not what their pamphlets stated.

My husband lies on the couch looking at $10,500 for a lift that he is scared of falling off. He wants to die in his own bed, is that really too much to ask? We have asked them to take it out and refund the monies. This was refused. Phone calls are not returned or delayed. The maintenance men are kind and considerate which is appreciated at this emotional time. What does one have to do, to make Acorn step up to the plate and make things right, as seniors in our golden age??? Our pensions do not cover these items. We must sacrifice something else to pay for them. Like our burial monies. Shame on you.

We purchased Acorn Stairlifts which works fine except for stopping occasionally for no reason. When we purchased the stairlift we took advantage of the financing Acorn offered through Discover that was zero interest and no payments for 12 months. A few months in and Discover is calling saying we have to make a payment and the account is delinquent. I explained the arrangement we had with Acorn. Discover says there is no program like that, we would have to talk to Acorn. Acorn customer service said they could not help, had nothing to do with the program even though it was offered by their sales staff. We made payments every month and still have calls from Discover. Both Discover and Acorn are promoting a fraudulent program.

I have had a stair lift since 1997, upgraded in 2006. The original platform was removed because new slim line lift did not fit, flush to foot plate. Everything fine until September this year 2015 when new engineer arrived and said lift unsafe. Since then Acorn have been dreadful to deal with because the way they wanted to fit a new lift blocked the landing making access difficult. I have been told that they do not consider the household needs in fitting a lift. They are difficult not only to deal with and refuse to listen to the customer. My dispute is ongoing as they have now told me they will not service the lift anymore. Do not buy from them.

My frail 96 year old mother who lives alone with severe arthritis had an Acorn chairlift fitted in October. In the 5 weeks since installation it has failed 3 times. Firstly a faulty battery, then internal wiring faulty and at last visit a new circuit board installed. Whilst the staff are very friendly and have been helpful my mother has been stuck upstairs awaiting a repair engineer to deal with the problem. This must be a Friday afternoon manufacturing job.

We have a 3 year old stair lift. After some installation problems with it hitting the wall it works. However it stalls at least once mid stair every time it is used. Acorn has never been able to prevent this happening. Service is non-existent. I called on their service department on Monday for help when it stopped working and still have not heard back. I had a code # showing on my panel and the lady who I spoke to said no one could tell me what it meant as the service department was closed as the lady was sick. Not on their ad, they say they do not leave until the client can operate a new one. They noticeably do not say that they do not leave before the client is satisfied. Lift is good service is no existent. I recommend buy an alternate.

Expert Review

Shelley WebbSenior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.    More about Shelley→

Acorn Stairlifts has been providing quality products since 1992. The company is based in Orlando, Florida, but has distribution centers around the world.

• They offer a large variety of stairlifts: Users can purchase a stairlift meant for indoor or outdoor use and the company can work with both curved and straight stairways.
  • They offer perched seats: Users who have trouble bending their knees may benefit from the use of a perched seat to transport them from floor to floor.
  • Outdoor stairlifts are also available: Users can purchase and have stairlifts installed outdoors so that they can enjoy their deck, patio or yard or get out of the house more easily.
  • They offer rapid installation: Stairlifts can be installed within 24 hours of purchase.
  • They provide a 12-month guarantee: All products are covered for the first 12 months of use, so if they fail to work or don't meet users' needs, they can be returned. The registration card needs to be returned within the first 30 days in order to qualify.
  • Best for People who can’t walk, people with limited mobility, people who have a heart or lung condition, and people who have trouble bending their knees.

Compare Stair Lifts