Acorn Stairlifts

• 1%
    • 9%
    • 90%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?
      Staff

Reviewed June 27, 2024

We have personally experienced every problem previous customers have regaled. No need to repeat. BEWARE! This company has a pathetic lack of technicians available to address all the problems associated with the Acorn chairlift. This is medical equipment. Isolating handicapped people because of a non functioning chairlift is inexcusable. We’ve been given a three to four week waiting time for a repairman to come! That is inexcusable. Word to the wise. Check on reviews in Consumer Repairs when googling Acorn Chair reviews. Then RUN!

Customer ServiceMaintenance

Reviewed June 25, 2024

Stay away from this company, after sales maintenance is practically unavailable because nobody answers the phone, nobody will call back after leaving numerous messages, even with paid annual maintenance program, trying to get service is worse than having your teeth pulled.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer Service

Reviewed June 15, 2024

Purchased stairlift in 2019. We pay $895 per year for ‘3 star’ warranty. Frequent issues to say the least. Website says we get service within 24 hours. NOT TRUE. First - they do not answer the phone 24 hours a day, and sometimes never call back. SECOND, Schedulers work M-F during business hours. If your lift leaves you between floors at 5:01 PM Friday, get comfy because they will not even look at availability until Monday. If you are absolutely depending on a stairlift for access to bed or bathroom, don’t buy an Acorn. If you are someone who wants one only for convenience, and actually have the ability to walk, then I guess it might do. PLEASE NOTE: Most of our local Acorn technicians are wonderful and provide superior service. Unfortunately, the company they work for does not! Ignore the wonderful customer reviews on the Acorn website; notice they do not have an option to ADD a review. Acorn takes advantage of people with disabilities.

Sales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed June 6, 2024

I need to immediately purchase a chair stairlift for my recently disabled husband who can no longer climb the 12 stairs to the second floor of our 2-story house. I had a couple of sales reps from different chairlift companies come to the house this week to review the stairs and provide a quote. The Acorn sales person was very nice and polite. However, much of the information he provided were undocumented, oral representations as to the high quality of the Acorn stairlift product, cost of the extended warranty ($40/month), represented lack of any problems with the equipment or any purchasers complaints with the Acorn stairlift etc. When I said I had to think about it and check them out, I got a one day offer of a $500 discount which I declined.

Needless to say, red flags went up. Advice--read the reviews and complaints on Acorn stairlifts, never sign any contract at initial visit. Request a hard copy of the contract and carefully review all of its terms before you sign it. Buyers Beware as these contracts are legally binding after you sign them whether you read all of their terms or not, and the contractual terms are favorable to the company whose lawyers wrote their company contracts. The National Council on Aging had a recent article May, 2024, on the best chairlifts. Acorn was not one of them. Do your research and avoid the problems the many Acorn chairlift purchasers have reported.

Frankly, I find it appalling that Acorn stairlifts company would be so inconsiderate in their treatment of their disabled customers who need a chairlift. Since I did not purchase based on all negative reviews and my personal experience at the initial sales contact, I do not have a receipt. Luckily, many, many thanks to all the purchasers who shared their bad experiences with Acorn chairlifts. I am purchasing a chairlift this week that was highly recommended by many consumer sources from another chairlift company I met with this week.

Customer Service

Reviewed June 4, 2024

I'm angry. I've been with them over 7 years. Every time I call for service, they won't schedule the visit. You have to wait for them to call you back. This time, I've called 4 times in the last 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for the return call to schedule. Then, it will take another week or two. This happens EVERY time. I pay $800 per year for the service contract. Once, I waited THREE MONTHS for them to arrive. Unacceptable!

Tommy

Same issues here, no response from them.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingWarranty

Reviewed May 10, 2024

We have 2 of these in 2 locations for over 5 years and both have similar problems, mainly battery, or sensors- stopping in mid run. Customer after service is terrible, phone hours are very limited- no after 5 calls, no weekend call. house call service is only Monday to Friday(4 hour arrival window) sometimes leave a message but no call back. The only thing good is the actual technicians that come out- very friendly seem to know what they are doing- but have been a few times we have to call for a revist soon after.Really could take a week to get a technician in. The machines themselves seem to have design or program flaws that could be improved upon. Never fails to a breakdown a few times a year so I guess that's why they push the warranty sales ($1500 to $1700/year).

I think people view this equipment as an essential medical device that makes a total difference in life and allows them to stay in their home. You would think that Acorn would have that same view of the products they provide- yes it is equipment but essentially they should view themselves as a service provider- if they did I think it would be better for their customers and company.

Candace

Thank you for your review of Acorn Stairlifts. The Acorn friendly sales person was here today and presented an Acorn brochure. The sales person made many oral representations e.g. cost of annual extended warranty was $40/month, Acorn stairlifts do not breakdown, excellent customer service, all of which are not in writing and not part of any contract. Oral representations have no legal validity in a contractual dispute because the oral statements cannot be proven. Thank you for your review.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPriceMaintenanceStaff

Reviewed Feb. 27, 2024

I had very good experience with having an Acorn stair lift installed on the stairs in my house. They told me that they will do a service check after a year without cost. I called 3 weeks back to schedule the service. The service rep told me that since this is a normal check and not a repair call, the service will be scheduled when a serviceman is in the area. She said that it may thus be 1-2 weeks before the service is done. It has since then been almost a month. When I called last week to ask, they would still not tell me when the service would be scheduled. Instead, the agent tried to sell me annual maintenance contract for $675 per year. When I asked to speak with a supervisor, I was told that I will get a call back. Five days since then, no one has called. I find this appalling. It is apparent that ACORN has very poor maintenance service.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Feb. 24, 2024

This is the formal complaint I filed against Acorn Stairlift with the Better Business Bureau regarding its failure to provide timely service for my 93-year-old mother's stairlift in Sioux Falls, SD. My mother has been relying on this stairlift for years, and when we recently had new floors installed, two of the supports had to be unscrewed. We promptly contacted Acorn to request assistance in re-attaching the lift supports on January 15, 2024. However, despite numerous calls and assurances, we have yet to receive any satisfactory resolution.

After multiple attempts to reach out, we were finally connected with Mike, who claimed to be the top contact at Acorn. Unfortunately, the conversation with Mike and my husband this week was extremely unpleasant, and even after several weeks, we are still unable to get Acorn to come and repair the lift. It is imperative to note that this stairlift is my mother's sole means of accessing essential areas of her home, including her freezer, extra food, and laundry.

The prolonged delay in service has severely impacted her daily life and independence. It is unacceptable that Acorn Stairlift cannot fulfill its obligation to service lifts in Sioux Falls. If they are unable to provide adequate support in this area, they should cease selling their products here altogether. At this point, we are not seeking monetary compensation; rather, we demand that Acorn fulfills their contractual obligations promptly. It is evident that Acorn Stairlift is in breach of contract, and we urge the Better Business Bureau to intervene and ensure that appropriate action is taken to rectify this situation. Thank you for your attention to this matter. We trust that the Better Business Bureau will investigate this complaint thoroughly and assist us in achieving a resolution.

Tommy

They charged me $1,200 to remove a small section of the tracking before putting in new floors, when the new floor I'd put in, they charge another $1,200 to put the tracks back in, they really take advantage of their customers.

Customer ServiceWarranty

Reviewed Feb. 21, 2024

We have had this stairlift for just over a year. We have had three service calls on the unit as it was stalling mid way. Now the unit is completely dead. We also purchased an enhanced warranty which we just discovered is useless. The prior service call counted against this warranty, even though it was the same problem that was never properly repaired during the two prior visits. Our charge will be 250 plus parts. This chair has left me now without access to my bedroom, shower and office. Additionally, we called yesterday and were told someone would call today. No one did. Our second call tonight indicated that no ticket was originated at all. Now I’ll have at least two additional days of no shower, no bed. Stay away from this company. Their products are unreliable and their lack of customer service is appalling.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedMaintenanceWarranty

Reviewed Feb. 15, 2024

I have 2 stairlifts, both installed Sept 2021 and both have needed service, the first time the maintenance was scheduled I waited all day for the serviceman, he never arrived, I called and was told the man in our area had just quit that morning, they would have someone come the following week. They came and fixed the problem. This past January I placed a call to have maintenance done on them as they keep stalling, making loud screeching noises and the seat doesn’t go down right on one of them. Appointment was for today between 8am-1pm. I called at 1:05pm because no one had come or contacted me to say they were running late, I got the same exact answer, the man in my area quit, the other guy was out on injury so they only have 1 person to cover the State!!! Are you serious??

I have to pay $500 per chair per year for extended warranty and service, that in of itself is outrageous, my car warranty was about the same amt and that’s for the life of the car. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ACORN and after reading other reviews I’m not the only one. Now I’ve been given a service date in late March for 2 lifts barely working, so I’m screwed if they stop before then.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Stair Lift partner.

Acorn Stairlifts author review by Risa Kerslake

Acorn Stairlifts has been providing quality products since 1992. The company is based in Orlando, Florida, but has distribution centers around the world.

• They offer a large variety of stairlifts: Users can purchase a stairlift meant for indoor or outdoor use and the company can work with both curved and straight stairways.

• They offer perched seats: Users who have trouble bending their knees may benefit from the use of a perched seat to transport them from floor to floor.

• Outdoor stairlifts are also available: Users can purchase and have stairlifts installed outdoors so that they can enjoy their deck, patio or yard or get out of the house more easily.

• They offer rapid installation: Stairlifts can be installed within 24 hours of purchase.

• They provide a 12-month guarantee: All products are covered for the first 12 months of use, so if they fail to work or don't meet users' needs, they can be returned. The registration card needs to be returned within the first 30 days in order to qualify.

by Risa Kerslake Contributing Writer

Risa Kerslake is a registered nurse turned freelance writer who writes extensively on health, health care technology, parenting and education. Her work has appeared in such publications as Discover, Women's World, U.S. News & World Report, Healthline and Parents. She lives in the Midwest with her husband and three children, is a crochet enthusiast and won't ever turn down a coffee date.

Acorn Stairlifts Company Information