2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.71/5

Acorn Stairlifts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?

Original review: June 23, 2020

They were hot to get the 12000 to put in the stairlift and they are not so much at coming out for the yearly service. Have been about 2 months trying to get them to come out and the chair starts beeping all on its own but yet they want me to give them about 800 for a year warranty like that is going to happen.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
        Original review: June 20, 2020

We’ve owned this stairlift for about 3 yrs and have had several service calls. It just stops working. When we call it is several days before someone comes out and it’s $250 a pop just for the service call plus any parts. They act like they don’t care how much the elderly person relies on the chair. My mother lives with us and depends on this chair for daily use. She cannot get up or down without it. She cannot get to the kitchen and unless we stay in her room with her until the repair person comes she spends several days alone because she cannot come up. I would never recommend an Acorn stairlift and am stuck with one that doesn’t work half the time. I may have to put my mother in a home because of this.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 27, 2020

My 77 yr old mother was in need of a major back surgery and was looking to have a lift installed for after the surgery. We called and set up an appt for a bid. The technician that came out was very nice and professional. He seemed to be able to answer all our questions and mom had 2 ladies in other condo building over, as they were also interested in lifts for their buildings. Feeling satisfied mom.

Gave technician $1000 down. We were told they usually can install within 3 days so just call when she was close to coming home from Surgery. I called the number he gave for installation 2 weeks ahead just in case! Good thing bc they weren’t able to install until the day before mom was coming home. I schedule a vacation day from work and I’m told they will arrive between 8-11 but will call when on way. At 11:20 when no one has arrived I call to find out that installation was canceled!!!?? Canceled??? Who canceled this? Oh THEY CANCELED IT bc they found out they needed additional approval from the county!!!! No phone call to me about this!

Mom has now been home 11 days with no way out of condo. Today I was told it could be another 14 days and that it is not Acorn's fault and I need to be patient!! When I asked about a discount for my vacation day lost and the time lost and inconvenience the sales manager informed me it wasn’t Acorn's fault!? Really??? We canceled our $11k order and have requested deposit back!! The other 2 ladies will also not be using this company!! They are out 3 stairlifts and have a “who cares, sorry about your luck” attitude! Definitely do not recommend.

Original review: May 16, 2020

Just had an Acorn stairlift installed on my curved staircase. Ray ** was the technician who installed everything. Ray was very hardworking and professional young man explained everything. I would recommend acorn stairlift to anyone who is in need of assistance getting up and down the stairs.

Resolution response: May 24, 2020

Josh of Acorn contacted me to discuss the issues I stated in my initial review. Josh is a great listener and wants his customers to be happy so he offered to have a repair tech fix the bumpy ride that occured when the chair rides over the rail joint. He sent Dwyane ** to fix the rail. Dwyane arrived and was skeptical at first, then he rode the chair and said the rail needed to be fixed. I was impressed with Dwayne's mechanical skills and his tenacity to correct the issues. He worked very hard and spent a lot of time securing the rail. I wish the previous tech taken the time to ensure the rail was installed properly. However, I am a happy camper with Acorn.

I am grateful Josh and Dwayne listened and resolved my issues. If I could, I would remove my original post but I could not find how to do that, so the next best option is to write a followup review. Acorn took the action necessary to stand behind their product and make me with my chairlift. I would recommend Acorn for anyone that is contemplating purchasing a stair lift. It is a high quality lift and should remain trouble free for many years. Bill B

Original review: May 8, 2020

Purchased Jan 2020. As the chair passes over the split rail it is making more noise and getting more bumpy. 1st call CSR said he couldn't hear the noise so there was nothing he could do. The next call the CSR said that was normal if it was installed over carpeting. I called to ask about how to remove the chair so the new furniture movers would not damage the chair. Acorn requires a technician and would not tell me how to do it. The second call the CSR said they were prevented from telling because the Food & Drug Administration would fine them but they could send a tech. When I purchased it the salesman said the chair had a lifetime warranty as long as I had the annual service. The extended warranty department called and said that was not true and I should spend $500 each year to warranty the unit. This is a very dishonest company. I regret buying from them. I think they are predators of the elderly and physically impaired.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I have been nothing but harassed about the warranty and purchasing a new year to year warranty. Rep, William ** ASA Aftercare Dept. Specialist, calls and harasses me consistently about my parent's stairlift and has even used scare tactics saying that my father needs this chair and that I have to pay their extra fees if anything happens. This is even though if you need anything in or out of warranty you have to pay for a tech to come out no matter what!! This is a year to year SCAM to prey on the elderly and Acorn and this rep should be ashamed of themselves!!!

Resolution response: March 5, 2020

They came, were gracious and professional, and fixed everything. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Our stairlift was installed at our home in Waldorf, MD in November 2019. The stairlift was never installed correctly. The installer showed up smelling of cigarettes (and so did all the parts), and it was clear from the moment he walked in the door that he did not want to be there. The rails were not installed correctly. The joists on the rails on which the chair glides weren't flush in several places, and the chair knocks every time it goes over the uneven joists. Because the rollers on the chair literally scrapes every time it goes over the uneven joists, the rollers have already started to wear down, and it's only been 3 months. The rail needs to be reinstalled. We had two service appointments to come look at the issue, but at each appointment, the technician said that they weren't installers and weren't the type of technician needed to fix the issue.

After the second service appointment, I called to complain, and was told a manager would call me back. After a week, no manager called me back. I called the service number again, and they found a manger who would speak to me. The manager told me to find my pamphlet where it says that bumps are common and that I should accept it. I told him that we don't feel safe on the stairlift, and he (reluctantly) set up an appointment for a technician to come look at the problem. The technician ran several hours late that day and we had to reschedule.

We rescheduled for February 14, but at 6 o'clock on February 13, we got a call saying they were cancelling on us again. Unfortunately, I'm having major surgery on February 18 and we need the stairlift fixed now. We're making arrangements for me to stay somewhere else, and we'll have to reschedule now for late March, which is after the 4-month warranty. We couldn't be more furious. Acorn's horrible product and horrible service are matched only by the deep disrespect we feel from this company. Do not waste your money. The stairlift is shoddy. They won't come fix it. I don't know what your losses will be, but for us, if they don't resolve the issue, we'll be out nearly $11,000.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

They won’t sell parts (batteries in my case) without sending a service rep. Get this: The batteries are over $200 and the fee for the service call is $250. This company is preying on the elderly and disabled. They should be fined. Do NOT buy an Acorn Stairlift!!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

My parents purchased a curved stairlift about a year and a half ago. At a price of $13,000! My Mom had numerous problems with it which resulted in many tech visits. My Mom recently passed away and the lift is no longer needed. I called the Stairlift Corporation and was told for a fee of $400 they will come and remove the lift but it’s up to us to resell it!!!! It is only a year and a half old. They spent $13,000 already and now they want to charge more!! I would not recommend this product to anyone I know for no other reason then. It’s expensive~it was extremely difficult to get them to stand behind the product and without talking to a supervisor at Corporate in Florida or the Regional Manager for the area my parents live in. It’s sad elderly people have to go through anything that my parents and sister have gone through!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Bought the stairlift. It worked great. Manual says it requires yearly maintenance but you can’t get them to come out and service it! Now it’s making noises and slowing down, not the battery! Replaced it, the battery, last year using a YouTube video reference. Very poor customer support.

Acorn Stairlifts author review by Shelley Webb

Acorn Stairlifts has been providing quality products since 1992. The company is based in Orlando, Florida, but has distribution centers around the world.

• They offer a large variety of stairlifts: Users can purchase a stairlift meant for indoor or outdoor use and the company can work with both curved and straight stairways.

• They offer perched seats: Users who have trouble bending their knees may benefit from the use of a perched seat to transport them from floor to floor.

• Outdoor stairlifts are also available: Users can purchase and have stairlifts installed outdoors so that they can enjoy their deck, patio or yard or get out of the house more easily.

• They offer rapid installation: Stairlifts can be installed within 24 hours of purchase.

• They provide a 12-month guarantee: All products are covered for the first 12 months of use, so if they fail to work or don't meet users' needs, they can be returned. The registration card needs to be returned within the first 30 days in order to qualify.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Acorn Stairlifts Company Information