2.13/5

Need a good stair lift company?

Acorn Stairlifts

Need a good stair lift company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Acorn Stairlifts Reviews

Original review: July 8, 2019

I have two Acorn stairlifts, a 180 Curve and a 120 Straight. The Straight needed very little service, if any. The Curve required service; but, Acorn provides excellent support. For example, the Curve broke down on July 2, 2019. A service rep was at my house the next afternoon. Since the fix was short term, a rep also appeared the day following the 4th of July holiday and replaced the entire carriage, a value of $5000. I have been completely satisfied with Acorn service. By the way, I purchased a warranty that was in force at the time of repair.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I have had both my Stairlifts since July of 2018. It has been my experience thus far that the lifts have been a Godsend. They have performed flawlessly. Everyone from Acorn has been wonderful... from the salespeople, installers, technicians, to tech support. They are amazing, and really care about their customers and their safety. I personally have years of experience in customer service, and believe me Acorn is top-notch.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: June 21, 2019

I bought two outdoor stair lifts for a beach home 9 months ago. Each time I come back to the house there are issues. This time a service person came out, fixed nothing and actually made it worse. Neither now worked. Two days later they sent out Alex. He was great. He found the problems with both of them. He also fixed the problems caused by the first service guy. He cares about his work and fixes things right. I now see a lot of bad reviews for Acorn service but if you live in SE Gulf area, ask for Alex to come fix your stairs. The stairs are well made, they just need to be installed and used correctly and when something is wrong, get Alex.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Lots of money. Machine works but with 16 stairs, rail installed in sections. Had Acorn return and they could not fix and stated that it would always be bumpy and jerky because of joining rails. Really irritating.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Be aware that on the 130 Straight Stairlift, it doesn't have the Standard Park function where the footrest is level with the top step, where both feet are level with the landing. You have to use your feet to push yourself around to a 90 degree angle to step off the chair onto the landing. This can be a problem if you have foot or leg problems. The curved stair lift apparently has this function. Otherwise I was very pleased with the chair and its installation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I wrote a review last July, about 10 months since I bought my two stair lifts. While at the time I had some issues, as the review stated, they did finally fix them. I visited my second home in September and the stairs worked fine. They were used in October and worked fine. I arrived at the home December 3 and both stairs did not work. No lights at all. I called Acorn and at first they told me it would be 8 days until someone came out. I complained that this was crazy and they agreed to send someone out in two days.

That same day a sales person from Acorn called me and said they were very sorry about the numerous problems I have had and they would arrange that I would not be charged the $250 sales call charge or parts. I did not buy the yearly warranty because there is only one that really covers everything and for ONLY 25% of the price of EACH stair lift, I can get a year's warranty! So I was happy until I realized this was a sales call to get me to buy the warranty. Some nerve, the stairs have been consistently not performing, they are barely used, and all I have to do is pay for them again, every four years to get them fixed for free!

Anyway, the repair guy came out as promised. Both transformers were bad (they had already been replaced in July), both sets of batteries were bad (one set had already been replaced in July) and one control board was bad (it had also been replaced in July). The batteries die if the they do not get charged. They cannot get charged if the transformers break. I have outdoor stair lifts yet the transformers CLEARLY STATE "dry location only". So how many more times are they going to fail and AGAIN, when I visit this house, I HAVE NO STAIRS!!

I want to be fair BUT it seems to me all they want to do is sell stair lifts and then warranties. The outdoor stair lifts are $2400/each plus installation. The yearly warranty FOR EACH stair lift is $595. Whenever they come to fix them, they NEVER can figure out WHY they keep breaking, they just repair them. If I hadn't purchased the warranties when that sales person called, I imagine the repair bill would have been as much as what a stair lift cost.

The money is not the biggest issue. I bought these for a beach house so I could get up the stairs. I usually come for a week at a time. This is now the third time I do not have them for at least half my time here. Acorn does not have enough service people and at least from my experience, the chair lifts are very unreliable.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I gave the salesperson $100.00 cash deposit in Sept of 2019 with the option of getting it returned. I discussed the purchase with other family members and decided not to make this purchase. I requested a return of my deposit, because of family decision. I have made about 6 phone calls requesting them to return my deposit. I last spoke to the finance department and they promised that the check was in the mail. 8 days later, have still not received my deposit. I tried to call someone today and had to leave another voice mail. I believe that they should have returned this money when it was first requested. Needless to say, I am not happy with the non results and I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

We had an Acorn stairlift installed at my parents house three years ago. Installer was good and it worked well. This year a gas spring at the bottom of the rail (rail section folds up out of the way of door) failed. I was able to remove it myself. When I contacted Acorn they told me there was no part number for that gas spring and we would need to replace the rail at a cost of about $1,000. I did some research. Called U.K and Scotland was able to track Acorn part number. When I contacted Acorn USA they would still not sell me the gas spring. Had the local rep contact them and the still would not sell it to them. I feel they do not want people to fix a simple gas spring but would rather upsell elderly and disabled people to replace a whole rail assembly. I feel that is very dishonest. Especially when they said there was no part number for that spring and I was able to find their own part number for it. This is why I would not recommend Acorn Stairlift.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

You must know this before buying an Acorn stairlift. They do not stand behind their products because they are obsolete after 10 yrs! They do not make parts for any unit over 10 yrs old! They are exclusive, which means only their technicians will repair them. Their technician told me it would cost $300 to come out with parts extra. Not wanting to pay this outrageous cost I called Acorn in Vancouver again and they had another technician call me.

This second technician, upon hearing it was 15 years old stated, “Oh that was before my time... I dunno what is wrong.” Upon telling him the symptoms, he again said, “I dunno, we don’t make parts for one that old!” His attitude was appalling... definitely not good customer service! Obviously he could care less about my predicament. I called head office in Vancouver again and they said someone from head office in Ontario would call me as they will rectify my situation... so 2 weeks later and still no call, I called them.

They confirmed that it would still cost me $300 to have someone come out, as it is the standard price set by their UK branch for all their branches across Canada! Secondly they do not make parts for units over 10 years old... so if you need a new part be prepared to buy a new stairlift! So... their great customer service leaves me with a unit they may or may not be able to fix for a cost of $300, which I will on principle not pay. Meanwhile, my dear 92-year-old father is relegated to his suite downstairs until I buy a different brand stairlift from a different company.... I am disgusted with Acorn. Stay away from Acorn products is my advice!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I have a split level home and I wanted two stairlifts. I purchased 2 used ones about 2 years old. I installed them myself as I am mechanical. I had an issue with the first one. It needed two new batteries as it was very slow. Service call of $250.00 plus $67.00 per hr plus parts. The second one works but it needs a lower sensor to tell the unit it has reached its limit. I bypassed the sensor and told my wife to stop at the mark I made on the wall. A $10 or 15 dollar part. I called the company to purchase one and I was informed that the policy is to not sell replacement parts unless I first schedule a service technician at $250.00 and $67.00 per hr plus parts, It is a shame that one cannot purchase replacement parts without the need to have a service technician. I will be on the market for a used non workable stairlift for the parts that I may need for future repairs. By the way, I purchased these stairlifts for $400.00 and $450.00.

Acorn Stairlifts expert review by Shelley Webb

Acorn Stairlifts has been providing quality products since 1992. The company is based in Orlando, Florida, but has distribution centers around the world.

• They offer a large variety of stairlifts: Users can purchase a stairlift meant for indoor or outdoor use and the company can work with both curved and straight stairways.

• They offer perched seats: Users who have trouble bending their knees may benefit from the use of a perched seat to transport them from floor to floor.

• Outdoor stairlifts are also available: Users can purchase and have stairlifts installed outdoors so that they can enjoy their deck, patio or yard or get out of the house more easily.

• They offer rapid installation: Stairlifts can be installed within 24 hours of purchase.

• They provide a 12-month guarantee: All products are covered for the first 12 months of use, so if they fail to work or don't meet users' needs, they can be returned. The registration card needs to be returned within the first 30 days in order to qualify.

• Best for: people who can’t walk, people with limited mobility, people who have a heart or lung condition, and people who have trouble bending their knees.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
      Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Acorn Stairlifts Company Information