2. Elder Care

Find Stair Lifts partners near you

About Acorn Stairlifts

Find Stair Lifts partners near you

Acorn Stairlifts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Mom was given an estimate for a stairlift on Wednesday, 10/13. Told we had to call back in 1 day to keep the price. Mom called and went forward. It was installed Friday 10/15. Though it is nice, it does not fit well and we discovered it as we tried it out less than 1 day having it. I tell salesperson Saturday, 10/16, morning and on Monday morning. He says he will tell his company. I get no call back. I call later Monday and was told system is down so no paperwork can be generated for returns. Also they are only scheduling installations since system is down. I call Tuesday (today, 10/19). Now I am told system is still down and to call a month from now to remove. They are just doing installs. I am not sure how, if the system is down, that installs are fine but removals are not. If they cared about the customer, they would handle both things evenly.

Keep in mind, I just want it removed. Not even looking for a refund because their contract says "All Sales are Final". I just need it out of the house. Of course, there is a removal fee. I am willing to pay. Doesn't seem to matter. I don't even mention being upset about being sold something that doesn't fit right. But, since they are making my life hard, I will mention that a company with ethics would not have sold the lift to us knowing the stairs are narrow and our landing is small where the track and chair block the door. Very disappointed in the whole handling of this. They have $3200 of my money and this is the level of service I get. The lift is nice to be fair. I wish we could keep it. We just can't function with it on a daily basis though it would help my Dad a great deal.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Ordered and made 1/2 payment the first of September and was given an install date of Sept.28. They called and cancelled... said installer broke his leg. Rescheduled for October 13. They didn't even bother to call this time. Waited all day for a no-show. Made numerous calls, put on hold or hung up. Three days of calling and emails before someone finally told me that the man who gave me the Oct. 13 date was not authorized to do so. Got a call last night from Michael... Said now scheduled for October 27 and could not do better because he only has one installer in the whole STATE! AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Updated on 10/13/2021: After publishing a negative report here on the botched repair of my outdoor stair lift. Acorn contacted me to set a time and date for an agent to come here and examine my complaint. The date established was today between 1200 and 1700 hours. It is now 1817 hours and they have not shown up here nor contacted me to explain why. I was hoping that this report would be a positive one and that they would make the repairs I needed.

Original Review: I called for service for a noncharging stairlift. The tech said that the repairs could not be guaranteed because wires were taped in the unit. Wires not taped but butt connected wired components. Replaced batteries and a lower limit door that he broke in servicing my unit. Unit worked until the new batteries went dead. He never cleaned the contacts for the charge source until he was done with whatever he did. Then only cleaned the lower contacts. I can only assume the tech was untrained as he did not know that there were butt connectors in the unit and assumed that the connections were taped, that he broke the lower limit door and didn't know the charge circuit was not working. What a rip off.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I installed Acorn stairlift at my house in June 2019 and I purchased 5 extra years warranty as peace of mind. A real Problem started in May 2021 my lift doesn't work properly. Since then I am calling this company every week from May 2021 till Monday August 23 with no luck... I call at least 18 time and every time I call they're promised me and assuring me that someone will call me back shortly. Unfortunately NO ONE CALLED ME BACK not even one time out of the 18 call. If I hire another supplier to fixed it's will cost me a lots. I don't know what to do.

Original review: July 14, 2021

All mechanical items break down once in a while and I happily will pay my fair share for accurate repairs. In the past month and a half, I have paid Acorn $750 for repair visits and I continue to have the same problem. Each time I call, I am reminded to buy their insurance for the year, This company gets a kick back for every policy they sell. At first, we diligently paid over $700 a year for repairs; however, they still would charge me per visit each time.

My chair works on and off and the service department refuses to come as soon as possible when I have a problem. Last time it was 3 weeks of waiting, this time is a week. Obviously there is a reason why I bought the chairlift but the person in the office did not care. It was pretty much take it or leave it. Considering how much I have paid lately, at least Cesar could be nicer. Instead, his issue was our lack of insurance. He also suggested that I unplug my chair and pump the seat at least 10 times before I use it. Are they really serious? If you are considering a purchase, please read all the awful reviews for this company.

Original review: July 14, 2021

My wife bought a Acorn stairlift for her grandmother and the stairlift has a issue almost every month. After calling them all day you might get to someone and they will schedule you for at least a week from that day!! What this poor lady has to do for rest of the week??? Bad customer service and all they care is to collect the money.

Original review: June 29, 2021

The lift seems to work well - I’ve had mine for 2 months. My stairs have a landing so I needed 2. Today I was offered a warranty that was $600 ($1200 for both lifts) for one year. And their service call prices are just as outrageous! Avoid this company unless you have a lot of spare money.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I’ve no issues with the Stairlift itself but calling for service to replace the batteries (normal after 3yrs + of use) gave me a shock. First of all when I called the service department number I expected to speak with a technician to book a time however what I got was a big push to purchase their extended warranty @$600 a year! That obviously wasn’t the service department but sales. When I declined the offer I was told a service call would be $300 plus parts. I dare say most Acorn users are older retired people and $300 seems a bit overpriced for me. Just sayin.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

My mother's chairlift started beeping due to a battery needing replacement. With the extended warranty she scheduled a service call. However, THERE IS NO WAY TO STOP THE INCESSANT BEEPING until our appointment in 3 days. You cannot turn it off. The beeping is terrorizing her dogs and is so loud it can be heard in every room in the house with doors closed.

Resolution response: March 10, 2021

Acorn finally sent an Acorn serviceman who replaced the failed part for about half the cost estimated by prior servicemen and the stairlift has been operating well since then.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Our six year old stairlift has been out of service for almost a year. Very difficult getting technician who then installed unnecessary parts that didn't fix problem. When called to come back he said he had so many problems with Acorn he quit servicing their units. He recommended we scrap our Acorn unit and buy a different brand. Closest service center I can find in the State of Maine is in Portland and they say Lincoln is too far away and won't send a serviceman.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Stair Lift partner.

Acorn Stairlifts author review by Shelley Webb

Acorn Stairlifts has been providing quality products since 1992. The company is based in Orlando, Florida, but has distribution centers around the world.

• They offer a large variety of stairlifts: Users can purchase a stairlift meant for indoor or outdoor use and the company can work with both curved and straight stairways.

• They offer perched seats: Users who have trouble bending their knees may benefit from the use of a perched seat to transport them from floor to floor.

• Outdoor stairlifts are also available: Users can purchase and have stairlifts installed outdoors so that they can enjoy their deck, patio or yard or get out of the house more easily.

• They offer rapid installation: Stairlifts can be installed within 24 hours of purchase.

• They provide a 12-month guarantee: All products are covered for the first 12 months of use, so if they fail to work or don't meet users' needs, they can be returned. The registration card needs to be returned within the first 30 days in order to qualify.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Acorn Stairlifts Company Information