1.42/5
  • 1 star
Based on 116 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Need a good stair lift company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Acorn Stairlifts

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 23, 2017

117 Acorn Stairlifts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Two years ago Acorn changed the batteries on my parents' Stairlift £250. Yesterday the stairlift didn't work so they phoned Acorn, £230 call out. They changed the batteries AGAIN and replaced the brushes in the motor. A further £250. Nearly £500. How can they justify that. Buying the batteries and a brand new motor wouldn't cost that. Total time on site 35 minutes. They spent longer sitting outside running the clock up to justify their charges. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE never buy a stairlift from these robbing con merchants and warn EVERYONE that you know.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I just got an Acorn stairlift this month and so far am very happy with both it and their customer service and sales people. The salesperson was very professional, very nice and helpful. He offered discounts for military service right away as well as telling us we could avoid paying tax by getting note from the doctor. No pressure to buy whatsoever. Left written material to look at. When we did decide to buy, the customer service people were great as well. We were able to get it delivered and installed the very next day. The installer came, was also very professional and polite, answered all questions, let us demo it, and told us all about warranties, etc. The stairlift runs smoothly and is comfortable and already my back is hurting less due to not having to walk up and down stairs. I had fallen twice and broken my tailbone and my husband feared we would have to move, but now I can stay in my home. Thanks Acorn. You guys are great.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

My parents put in the Acorn Stairlifts about 4 years ago. It is the biggest piece of junk out there. They are built to break. Poor construction and materials. The wire in the arms are 16 to 18 gauge wire and they put no slack in the wire. So as you move the handles back and forth, the wire soon breaks. My brother and I have rewired the arms on both chairs numerous times. And don't ask the company to come out. These chairs are built so you have to buy the service contract to keep them running. Total junk and a unreliable company to boot. They should be closed down for putting such junk on the market. They paid $7500 for 2 chairs because of the stairway. This only the beginning of my conquest to drive them out of business.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Parents were sold a unit that was to cost $3,000 and was to go wrap around the staircase. When person came to install, they told parents that a different model was ordered and that it would cost another $5,000 to install what they had initially ordered. My parents were very upset and fortunately did not agree to this. When asked about getting deposit back, they were told that it would take a few weeks and to call and check if they didn't get it. Acorn should deliver that deposit to them, just as my parents gave them the deposit the day of the sale. Neither the sales person or Manager took accountability, or offered to do something different for my parents. Be aware.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Spent $10,000 on curved installation of Acorn lift. Warranty after 1st year = $795!!! REALLY? EVERY YEAR?? It's always been temperamental from the start - might get uninterrupted ride up, might stop 2-3 times. We had a problem 6 days after warranty expired and you're STUCK. Find ANOTHER COMPANY!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

When meeting with the salesman in regard to purchasing a new stairlift, he never mentioned that the stairlift MUST be serviced once a year. I have owned the unit for one year, and I have been receiving harassing calls to either sell an extended plan or to set up a maintenance appointment at the cost of $250+. According to the caller, I should have been told that I needed a yearly service call by the person who sold it to me. I told him that I was not informed. If I had been told, I would have performed more research. The caller then stated that the yearly service call was mentioned in the manual. The funny thing is, I did not get the manual until after I bought the unit. On another point, the unit is not functioning properly. Loud chunking sound occurs on the decent (not going up). The problems started right after the warranty ran out. Planned obsolescence... look in the dictionary under Acorn Stair Lift.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

This letter is to make other future customers aware of the problems we have experienced owning an Acorn Stairlift. We purchased an Acorn Stairlift 1 1/2 years ago. My wife and I were involved in a rollover accident in 2013 and she has extensive injuries to the spine as a result of this accident. Stairs are not an option for her as her spine cannot withstand the motion of climbing.

Within approximately eight months of our purchase, still within our warranty, we experienced a very rough ride with the stairlift and asked the company for a representative to check the equipment. The repairman told us the ride was normal and nothing was wrong. We did not agree with this diagnosis but he assured us there was nothing wrong with the equipment.

Approximately six months later, barely over the warranty, the stairlift stopped and we had a repairman return to our house and found a wire was shorted out. The charge for coming to our house was $250.00, which they reduced to $150.00 after I argued extensively. The repair lasted approximately four months before the stairlift quit again. The repairman came back out again and found that the relay switch was faulty and would cost us $600.00 plus a $50.00 service call. At that point we refused to have it repaired. We live on a limited income and cannot afford the repairs.

To purchase an extended warranty on the stairlift would cost $250.00 a year, which the repairman suggested not to purchase because the equipment would not need it and we believed what he suggested as he was the expert. At that point we were forced to getting into a loan to try and purchase another stairlift. This took well over a month of assisting my wife up the stairs from our living space to her bedroom. This motion of walking up the stairs with a broken spine was excruciating for her and put her in such severe pain that she was bedridden for weeks! She could not sleep much or walk much, that was the whole reason of buying the stairlift. Our quality of life was so disrupted that I was forced to go up and down the stairs myself to take care of my wife at 80 years old.

We have since purchased a Savaria Stairlift which cost us twice as much but we have three times the comfort, it runs smooth and quiet with the feeling of stability. Acorn has very poor quality and the company preys on the $250 service calls or the $250 a year warranty. They will stall you off that nothing is wrong with the equipment until the warranty runs out.

Acorn is the most non customer service oriented company we have ever dealt with and service is based on the dollar and not the customer or the quality of their product. They are a complete scam. If we had known we would have wasted our money on this product, we would not have purchased the Acorn whatsoever. This company should not exist. The state elevator inspectors should not approve the use of the Acorn Stairlifts because of their instability and faulty equipment.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

This Acorn Stairlifts does not service their customer. Honestly I bought Acorn Stairlift in 2014. I paid 16000 thousand dollars for one and 2400 for the other. Both of them are broken down. I tried to get service for them. I paid 900 for a new gear box and 300 for batteries. Their service charge is outrageous. Yesterday August 1 I paid three hundred dollars out for new batteries. It still does not work. My wife is crawling up the stairs now. Acorn now want 300.00 to program it because I changed the batteries. This Acorn Company should be shut down. They are very crooked. The stairlift is a terrible quality and you feel like you are going to fall flat on your face. The track cracks like twisting steel, leaks grease all over your carpets, always quits halfway up the stairs. My wife was stuck 5 feet in the air. I had to call 911 to get her off of this lift.

I wish Acorn would be shut down. They are a very crooked company and do not take care of their customers at all as well. They are sell a very low quality stairlift. It's a very expensive piece of junk. Please do not buy this from Acorn Stairlift. Their service is terrible. This just junk. Always breaking down and very expensive to repair. Please call Dave at ** I will give you more information how bad this Acorn Stairlift is. Bad product and a terrible company to deal with. I have 2 stairlifts broken down. Invested 20,000 dollars for junk. Taking them to the dump.

Original review: June 15, 2017

In January of 2017 I contacted Acorn Stairlifts to inquire about one for my 87 & 83 year old parents. I hadn't been in touch with them for 8 years due to circumstances but I reached out to help them because they needed it. I left a message with these guys and had a great talk with the first person I talked with. After explaining the situation that it wasn't for me but for my parents she agreed to not contact me and stuck with her promise. The rest of them didn't. I even got emails from others demanding that I contact them only. Wth? Then the phone calls came and never ended. It's June now.

This went on for months and I kept having to ask these guys to stop harassing me and each time they'd agree but then call me again to try and sell me. Even after the stairlift was installed they STILL kept badgering me. This harassment became relentless and still is. Being on a cell phone I have to pay for every call but they don't care. As long as there's a 'possible' SALE for THEM they don't seem to care who they bother. It's too bad because the stairs themselves seem to be good. Too bad I can't say the same for the people working for them.

BEWARE PEOPLE. Once you call these people or leave any phone number you will NEVER stop hearing from them. They don't answer the phone directly cause they want your number so they can harass you. Don't say I didn't WARN YOU. This company is aggressively relentless in their pursuit of a sale. People do not come first. Sales do.

Original review: June 9, 2017

After many calls and emails the referral cheque has NOT been sent to my brother-in-law, Acorn says it is out of their hands. I'm sure it hasn't been sent. It has been at least a month or more. Wondering about their warranty that I paid extra $ for. Has anyone else had this problem?

Original review: April 20, 2017

I purchase my first chair in 2005, and was happy with the purchase. During the years chair was old, and I wanted to upgrade the chair!!! BIG MISTAKE!!! The only chair they have is nothing to be happy about. The new and only chair was design by a monkey, chair is loose, you feel as if you are going to fall down forward on your face. Track makes more noise than a train at 90 miles an hour, it cracks as if the track is broken. Chair is not orthopedic design for a handicap person with joint problems, the foot rest is so small your feet don't fit in them or you have to bend your legs inward and still you don't have space for your feet. From the moment the chair was install I was not happy. And I want my money back. Your chair is as bad as it can be, a piece of trash. My mistake was not to keep my old one back, if you are looking for a lift, check first BRUNO OR AMERICAN OR GO SOMEPLACE ELSE FOR A BETTER PRODUCT. ACORN IS NOT!!!

Original review: April 7, 2017

I had the Acorn Stairlift installed December 2015, it worked well for the first month and then I started having problems. It quit working while my mom was in it halfway up the stairs, I then called customer service and they instructed me to turn it on/off but that didn't work and they said no one could come out for a few days. My mother had a stroke and it was very difficult to get her out, after that it ran well for a couple months then quit working again in February 2016. I called customer service and it took them a few days to come out. They told me if it was my fault it wasn't working I would be responsible for the 250.00 service charge. When they came out they noticed the harness was loose from the pin connector installer error.

My mother then went into nursing home for a few months. Right before she was to come home I checked lift and it was not working. I then called customer service again. They came out after a few days and changed the battery. It seemed to work fine, my mother ended up passing away and the stairlift was never used again since February 2016. I am now caring for my sister and she requires chairlift, not to my surprise it no longer works. I contacted customer service and they told me my warranty had run out and I would have to pay 250.00 service visit plus parts. I was infuriated I paid 10,200 for this piece of garbage and it had very little use, I have had nothing but problems after the first month. Now they want me to pay 250.00 plus.

It was not used at all since the last time it was fixed. I will be contacting an attorney for being sold a lemon, the least the company can do is refund me some of the money for defective equipment. After reading other reviews I see I'm not alone, this company should not be able to get away with this. I may as well have flushed 10,200 down the toilet. I will be pursuing legal action.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I own an Acorn Stairlift. I paid right around $3000.00 for it. It has not served me well. The reason for the review is to alert others who are considering buying from this company. I purchased it in 2013. It has never been reliable. I've had to make many phone calls due to the various problems. I could not agree to service calls as their rate is way out of my affordable range. The price of their service call was never mentioned when I was purchasing. Their maintenance contract is exorbitant. I'm widowed with just my fixed income. I'm 77. I had Lung Cancer surgery in 2014 along with thirty radiation treatments. I have COPD. I use oxygen at night. I have been receiving injections in my back for degenerative disc disease.

I had to agree to service last week at a price of $250.00 plus $70.00 for a battery, plus $4.20 tax. Total $324.20. I was told that it actually needed a computer board to the tune of $600 some odd dollars. I could not pay that out and was told I could pay half and half later. I could not do it. The Service man installed a battery and instructed me to switch it on and off when I needed to use it. Yesterday the chair slowed down to a crawl and stopped in the middle of the staircase. I had a load of towels in my arm and had to manage the dangerous action of removing myself from the chair.

I called today and said I was not paying another service charge to have them come out. I was told that they would waive that fee but I would be paying the $600.00 for a board. I was reminded that they only had to come here twice since I bought it. I told them it was because I couldn't pay the high fee, but had no choice on the two calls. In all honesty, they reduced the price of the one call last summer when they replaced two switches.

My alternative is to sell my home and find a place on one level. Moving is not easy or affordable for an older person. I thought I was set when I made this move to a townhouse 4 years ago. My legs gave out after six months. I bought an Acorn Stairlifts whose advertisement was and is in AARP magazine. I couldn't have been more wrong. As of now the chair is inoperable. The price of removing it is $200.00. To conclude, my opinion of this company is very low. Their service fees are way too high. I truly sympathize with folks who are badly disabled and are trying to use an Acorn Stairlifts.

UPDATED ON 04/07/2017: To follow up on my bad experience with Acorn Stairlifts. I had no choice but to have the computer board installed. Originally I was told I could make two payments. However, that turned out not to be the case. I was told by the man who said it that He NEVER said that. I had the board installed. The cost was $682.64. This brings the entire repair total to $1006.84.

Original review: March 27, 2017

My wife and I bought two Acorn Stairlifts for our new Townhouse on 8/24/2016. Both were installed on 8/26/2016. Called service 9/22/2016, reset computer 4 times. Called 10/10/2016. Service repair 10/26/2016 rail loose and remote failure. Called again. Service repair 12/14/2016 erratic, rail problem, stops. Service Tech did nothing, tried to ** us, and billed $250.00 for service call. Numerous calls starting 12/01/206 to 12/19/206, charges dropped. Service call 12/20/2016, fixed rail cleaned, adjusted, fixed remotes. Called again 02/21/2017, tech heard problem over phone.

Service repair 02/28/2017 Chair erratic, rail loose, black splotches, pulled chair & cleaned, adjust charge pins, fix remotes. Called again 03/20/2017 remote failure, told to spray rail with WD-40. Called again 03/21/2017 remote ran chair 6 and froze. Service call 03/23/2017 tech rode chair & lectured us, then fixed upper chair, fixed lower chair, replaced mother board, replaced sensors, replaced remotes. 03/23/2017 chair stopped, way jammed. 03/24/2017 lower unit remote jammed, chair 1 ft. up, stopped working. Called again 03/27/2017 wife on phone 1.5 hours. Service call 03/28/2017 to be determined.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I am a carer for a gentleman who is on 24hr oxygen and dependent on his chair lift. I arrived this morning 28/02/2017 with the intention of taking him to see his Oncologist only to find that despite his wife contacting Acorn on Sunday evening when his stairlift broke down, there has been absolutely no support from the engineering side of the company, just a load of waffle.

In the end we had to call the paramedics to assist my client upstairs. No support on Monday and now it is Tuesday. I personally called the office explaining that I urgently needed to get my client to his appointment. I was told that the engineer was in Alton, Hampshire and we are right down on the south coast. I was told that the engineer would call me when he was on his way. It is now 12.20 p.m and NOTHING. It is well known within my field of work that Acorn offer the worst support and now I am seeing it for myself. I would like to speak to John ** personally but understand that he is based in Monaco! This speaks volumes.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I am disgusted by the customer service of this company. For months I and my family have been trying to get some compensation for the problems we had experienced regarding our mother's stair lift and the wrong advice given continually by their customer help desk. My daughter initially recommended them as she works for Lloyds Pharmacy who sell their mobility products. We will not be recommending them to anyone in future.

We were told on at least 2 occasions even by a manager, that they would look into compensation, as my brother lost out on wages due to taking a day off to attend when mother's stair lift was installed. Just as well he was there, as my elderly mother who has had a broken wrist, cancer and dementia would not have coped with the fracas that happened on that day. It was agreed with the salesman/assessor that it would be installed ready for mum coming home from rehab after a fall. This did not occur and had to be installed 2 days after, not good enough.

Then the under trained engineer took four hours to install it, when we were told by the sales assessor originally, it would be 1 and a half hours at most! It was incorrectly installed, although mum could use it thankfully until another engineer came out a week later, but the stair lift juddered halfway up the stairs, as the rail was incorrectly fitted and was kinked.

Then we discovered mother did not have a power swivel seat as agreed with the salesman/assessor on original visit, he had assessed this would meet mother's needs due to her previously broken wrist and arthritis. This has been denied by the case handler as she stated the salesman did not add this to the paperwork, which we trusted he had completed correctly. On requesting this from the helpline we were told they would source one but after chasing this we were informed they do not make these anymore and couldn't get hold of one. BUT the engineer who installed a new rail stated, "You can get power swivels still!"

We sought compensation but heard nothing so we chased this again and I wrote a complaint on an legal ombudsman template. I did ring back the same day but was informed she was not available so I e-mailed the case handler on 2 or 3 occasions and demanded a call or e-mail back the same day. I did not hear anything in the timescale I had requested so I e-mailed again and asked for the complaint to be given to a manager, not a case handler. I was told this had been done and they would contact me, nothing!

I then received a letter stating she had continually tried to ring me but I had only 1 voicemail message from her and no telephone calls. The case handler involved wrote to me stating they do not offer compensation to which I replied we have not been told this before! She did ring me again although it was meant to be a manager and stated for 400 we could have a power swivel!! As I had to return to work my brother took over the call and then someone behind her said, "Offer the power swivel free." I am still fighting for compensation though as the power swivel should have been installed in the beginning anyway. So what have they offered by way of compensation, nothing!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

My mom began to have trouble getting up and down the stairs. We needed a stair lift. I wish we had more time to do more research but we were in a bind. We've had this stair lift for about 3 years now and it's been nothing but a piece of junk. We had problems immediately. During the first year with it while it was under warranty they came out several times to "fix it". It never stays fixed. The remotes have stopped working several times and have been replaced several times. We keep having to buy the extended service plan or else after the first year we wouldn't have been able to use it at all. They come out fix it and if we are lucky we get a couple of months without issue. Not everything is covered by the extended plan so they have another opportunity to get more money out of you.

For the most part it works well when it's warm but when the cold hits the problems start. It's not really robust enough to be outdoors. The safety switches freeze in place which keeps the chair from working. The remotes are supposed to let you move the chair even when there is a problem with the safety switches but by then the remotes are broken again or the sensor has stopped working. I spent $3000 on this stair lift expecting something reliable and it's been nothing but reliable. The salesman lied and made us think we were getting something good. The average use for this stair lift is one trip up and one trip down each day and it can't even hold up for that. The latest is today there are no error codes. The lift went down but refuses to go back up. When it works it's great, when it's broke it leaves a weak 72 year old woman struggling to get up the stairs and feeling depressed about her age. Bottom line try another brand. I wish I had.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

The sales person who came out to my home was professional and compassionate. He understood the circumstances of this purchase was due to a family member's debilitating stroke. After he left, the tone deaf sales staff called me daily to push their product. I asked them to stop calling me. In another call I told them I would buy from another vendor if they didn't stop calling me. They didn't and I've called All American Mobility.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

My parents purchased the stairlift several years ago. Part of the sales pitch is that when you no longer need they will help you resell it to a customer. My parents have since passed away and we have been trying to get their assistance with a resale. Parents only used it for 2-3 years. Every time we call they give us a different answer. First it is that they don't do resales anymore. Then someone else says to leave a voicemail for a certain individual; no one ever returns a call. Very unprofessional. So a $10,000 stairlift that was used for 2 years is going to be tossed. I have called every Vets charity to donate but no one can pick up. Acorn totally misleads and their customer service is horrible. You can call back and each different person will give you a different answer. Go with someone locally.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

Only problem with this company, the salesman cannot be reached once he got the order. The technician did a bad job. The chair is rumbling, stopping on its way up or down. The bottom plastic head falls off. The chair is stuck downstairs after 3 weeks of use. No support from the company. The technician has no phone number!!! The company said you can only contact him by "wire" and 411 has no listing of him. The remotes came with very old batteries, made in China, that worked only intermittently. I will have to call the fire dept to get my husband upstairs to bed tonight. Our recommendation is not to deal with Acorn. You will save yourself a lot of frustrations.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

Purchased Acorn stairlift about 6 years + ago. Has worked great since then. Had one service call about 2 years ago which was taken care of day after I called. Has been working great since, Very professional and reliable. I use the chair almost daily sometimes 2-3 times a day. Purchased from Acorn in the Boston, Ma area.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2016

I have left multiple message with people to call me back but they never call back. They will say I will speak to my Manager or Engineering department but never call back. Very poor service - DON'T BUY from these people. Installation and design is very poorly done.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

Need new toggle switch, but have been informed by some guy who represents Acorn that they do not sell parts to anyone anymore! Must get a technician from Acorn to change the toggle for a 250 dollar service call plus price of new switch!! A few years back I replaced the switch because the lever had been broken. They sold me a switch then, so why not now. I hope I don't have a serious problem later on. I have bought a switch locally. If I cannot repair the one that is not working in one direction, I will replace it.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

As soon as we purchased the chairlift we had problems. Trying to get a hold of them is awful. My mom is afraid to use it but needs to. It constantly beeps on its own. The first problem was the circuit board... batteries. Now I can't even read the error message. That disappeared... may be the batteries again. Ok I fixed it myself. If the chair beeps repeatedly after using it then stops and beeps when no one is on it... unplug from wall... it will reset.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

Have had several issues since the 2014 purchase. Had lift service several times since. In March 2016, tech claimed a defect and put in a loaner. Issues again in August and still can't get a tech or someone to return a phone call. Lift failed and my Mom was stuck until someone came home from work as she's unable to use the stairs. Yesterday, the lift jerked and she almost fell off, same issue again today. Spoke with at least 5 people today and told the earliest they can send a tech is Nov 29. WTF??? Not acceptable!!! Service manager then says the 24. Was told they had a lot of turnovers in staff so is that supposed to explain the atrocious service. Service manager didn't seem too interested in getting a tech here today. No such thing as "emergency service". Strongly DO NOT recommend this company. Issues with quality and a huge lack of customer service.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

Installed at end of August. For M-in-L who had just had a hip replacement and wasn't allowed to do stairs. At installation no one had arranged for power to be sorted as needed, I had to rewrite a socket myself! 1st day hinge failed, continued to temporarily fail for several days. Service came out: 1st the excuse was that there is a known fault with some hinge control boards so would need replacing. Quoted 5 days for part, in meantime no lift - meaning bed needed to be relocated etc. So they know the boards need replacing but they don't carry them? 10 days still no contact and no boards. 2nd serviceman came out - did a 'fix' (move the chair rail as actually it was catching on door frame it passed! And they had originally located hinge control box in airing cupboard which meant it overheated!). Was the original installer trained how to do this?

24 hours later it stopped halfway (with complete loss of all power) with immobile mother in law on, who subsequently hurt hip trying to get down. Took nearly an hour to wind hinge up to allow her to access toilet it blocked. CService response was "Would you like me to call the Fire Brigade?" 2 day wait for engineer who just came and disconnected it and stomp mud through house. CService agreed to full replacement of chair when we asked for refund, and restart of 14 day trial. New chair and circuit boards installed, and apparently operational again however within 24 hours it had stopped again, this time at the top leaving her at the top!

Enough was enough so requested full refund and removal. 2.5 weeks later after many non returned calls still installed and no refund yet. Next step Trading Standards if not removed/refunded in next few days! Warranty not worth paper. 24 hr line does not mean 24 hr solution - just someone fobbing you off. There's a reason that Councils won't touch anyone other than Stannah, and ACORN must bring Stannah so much business.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

Horrible Experience With This Company. DO NOT GET THIS SERVICE!!! Find alternative. Equipment Breaks Down Very easily and they con you into getting an extended warranty... Nothing but a bunch of crooks. Tried calling their customer service to deal with an issue. Got the run around, dropped calls etc. My father just got purchased an extended warranty and then right after passed away... These people would not even return the funds of that extended warranty. Caused my mother undue aggravation dealing with a funeral and these crooks.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

I had the lift for 2 months. During the 2 months I had to have a serviceman over 27 times. Bad motor 3 times, the bolts stripped out from the stairs and multiple other problems. One time the tech came back and said he left a part off and didn't notice it until he was cleaning out his van. But the main reason I'm mad is at 97 years of age I was going up the stairs on the lift, it stopped and wouldn't move. I had an upset stomach and needed to use the bathroom. It's embarrassing to mention this but I feel consumers need to know. I broke wind and accidentally messed myself. God bless.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2016

Purchased Acorn Stairlift to aid my wife in getting to second floor. Unit was used very sparingly and had a "Fatal Failure-F1" code. Since the unit was beyond the one year warranty (by one month), Acorn said the repair would cost $850.00! The cost for an extended warranty would be $750.00 a year. In three years I'll have paid for the chair twice! I have since removed the chair and installed another brand and have had no problems. Do NOT buy Acorn unless you like a lot of company from service people.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

Chair has not worked properly since it was installed. The chair is junk, the warranty is junk. $250.00 for a service call because the chair they sold me is junk, absolutely ridiculous! Never do business with this company!

Acorn Stairlifts expert review by Shelley Webb

Acorn Stairlifts has been providing quality products since 1992. The company is based in Orlando, Florida, but has distribution centers around the world.

• They offer a large variety of stairlifts: Users can purchase a stairlift meant for indoor or outdoor use and the company can work with both curved and straight stairways.
    • They offer perched seats: Users who have trouble bending their knees may benefit from the use of a perched seat to transport them from floor to floor.
    • Outdoor stairlifts are also available: Users can purchase and have stairlifts installed outdoors so that they can enjoy their deck, patio or yard or get out of the house more easily.
    • They offer rapid installation: Stairlifts can be installed within 24 hours of purchase.
    • They provide a 12-month guarantee: All products are covered for the first 12 months of use, so if they fail to work or don't meet users' needs, they can be returned. The registration card needs to be returned within the first 30 days in order to qualify.
    • Best for: people who can’t walk, people with limited mobility, people who have a heart or lung condition, and people who have trouble bending their knees.
    Profile picture of Shelley Webb
    Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Acorn Stairlifts Company Information