1.91/5

Need a good stair lift company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

155 Acorn Stairlifts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We had an Acorn straight stairlift installed almost four years ago. The installation went fine, but the rail had to extend into the opening for our basement bathroom. We, therefore had to have a hinge installed, so the last few inches of rail could be lifted out of way. Recently, the lift began to make a loud popping noise at intervals along rail, and hinged extension became misaligned, so chair stopped at gap between upper rail and extension. We called customer support. Technician came out when he was supposed to, greased the rail and said that would cure the popping noise. So far, the noise seems to have gone away.

The technician began trying to sell us a service contract as soon as he entered, but denied he was doing it. He then proceeded to tell us about his life, multiple marriages and divorces as he intermittently tried to fix the problem with the hinge and continued to push the service contract. Was he fixing or trying to break the equipment. He loosened every support on the rail, banged on them with a socket wrench, even kicked the machine at one point and bounced forward and back in the chair with all supports loose. Finally, my wife pointed out an adjustment screw he had not touched.

When he loosened it, the rail aligned and the equipment worked ok. After a lot more talk, several e-mails and phone calls to the company, the consensus was we could not leave that screw loose even though tightening it drove everything out of alignment again. We would have to have a new hinge installed, buy a new stairlift, or live with the problem. The price of a new hinge kept coming down until it got to $450. My wife and I kept saying, "No" to the hinge until he finally gave up and started on the contract once again. Once again the answer was, "No".

Was he there to fix our equipment, sell us a contract, or break something important, so we would be forced to buy a new contract? Was he truthful about the adjustment screw? Can he do anything competently besides grease a rail? I don't know. I only know it cost us $274 and change to get us out of our house. Now I am wondering if I will get another bill for the time he spent spinning his fascinating stories.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I took a loan to buy an ACORN STAIRLIFT after busting both legs as a Fireman, and been having trouble with the chair a few times since installation. My chair would stop going up or down my steps mostly around 3 times. Sometimes, I had to sit until it decided to move again. A repairman would come to my home and said it was fixed, leave and same thing all over again. The office would say about the repairs he did. Last time he was here office said he repaired a wire in my chair. "The repairman never did nothing but rode my chair a couple times and left. He never touch any repairs". I just put over $20,000 in my home with Window World (another mistake) making my home handicap accessible and now thinking about selling to buy ranch home.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have muscular dystrophy and can no longer walk or stand and was unable to get to the second floor of our home. I contacted Acorn Stairlifts in order to keep my independence and ability to get to our bedroom and roll-in shower. Was told by the sales person before purchase that everything was adjustable. Lift installed on 12/24/18. Talked to installer before work started that seat at the top had to be even with the wheelchair seat. He said that he would try to make it as close as possible but he was limited as to what adjustments he could make. Also, the seat, armrests, controls and foot plate cannot be changed or adjusted. Seems sales was misleading on the adjustability of the unit.

After install, Dan the installer had me try transferring to the unit downstairs to try it. Installer saw how hard it was to transfer downstairs to the lift, that my position on the lift was not comfortable and I was not able to transfer to the wheelchair at the top. Came back down and transferred back to main chair. Installer said that he understands that disabled people need to work out new things and that I should try a few times to transfer and to call the office if it was not going to work. My Daughter and her fiancé were present at this time and can confirm the installer’s statement to try it a few times to see if I would be able to transfer.

Called customer service on 12/27 12:02. Discuss having the lift removed and refunded because I am not able to make this work. Was told that my file would be sent to management. Called customer service on 12/27 4:15 because no one had called back. After 17 mins got disconnected and they called right back, was told that case had be sent to a manager after another 11 mins, but they were gone for the day. Called customer service on 12/28 at 10:35 and was told that the case was sent to management but they only discuss cases on Thursdays which would mean not until 1/3/19. At this point both people that I talked to said that the case did have notes indicating that we did not think this was going to work made by Dan the installer. Feeling like we were getting the runaround. Called customer service on 1/4/19 at 2:24 because still no phone call had been received. Was told that a manager would call back.

Received a call from Josh on 1/4/19 at 2:57. Discussed our problem with the lift and that I wanted the lift removed and refunded. Josh said that if the lift was not going to work the installer should have removed it the same day. I told him about our discussion with Dan the installer and that HE said to try the transferring to see if it was going to work and if not to call the office. Josh’s main reply was to keep repeating that all he can do is tell me Acorn’s policy that all sales are final.

Told Josh that this was not acceptable and that they needed to remove the lift because it was only taking up space by the front door, hallway and stairs for something that I could never use. Josh asked how much I weighed and if I had discussed with Dan the installer what we would have to do if this did not work. I told him my weight (100 lbs. or less) and that we would look at putting in an elevator/platform lift. Josh asked if there was someone in the home that could help me with using the stair lift and I said yes, most times, but the whole idea of this was to keep my independence and ability to get up and down stairs.

It turned out that I don’t think Josh is even a manager because he said that he was going to discuss this with Dan the installer and then with management and would call back. I feel that the moment that the installer said to try it for a couple of days and if it did not work to call customer service that it voided the companies right to say all sales are final and we are stuck with it.

1/10/19 – Company called and agreed to refund our purchase but is charging 1,275.00 as a restocking fee. This amount seems to be excessive but when asked they would not lower it. Since we had disputed the original credit card charges, they wanted us to withdraw the dispute. I discovered that if we were to do that, we would have no other available options if they did not refund the difference as agreed. I think they know this and that is why they wanted us to withdraw it. We are not and Acorn will have to represent the charges. They will not remove the lift or make the refund adjustment until the original charges have been re-processed which could take over 30 days. We are not happy with this arrangement. We felt that if we did not agree to the 1,275.00 that they would do nothing and we might have to go to court to get this resolved.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Salesman stated that Acorn had a service facility in my hometown (Winston-Salem, NC.) This was a lie. They have two repairmen that service the entire state of North Carolina. The installer was very rude. I will not let him in my house again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Be aware that on the 130 Straight Stairlift, it doesn't have the Standard Park function where the footrest is level with the top step, where both feet are level with the landing. You have to use your feet to push yourself around to a 90 degree angle to step off the chair onto the landing. This can be a problem if you have foot or leg problems. The curved stair lift apparently has this function. Otherwise I was very pleased with the chair and its installation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Acorn Stairlifts has to be the worst company I have done business with. My mother purchased a stairlift for her husband who could no longer get around due to cancer. Unfortunately, his condition worsened two weeks after the stairlift was installed and he ultimately passed away about a month later. The stairlift was hardly used given the circumstance and had only been installed for a month. When I explained the situation to Acorn and asked if we could return the stairlift or assist with reselling to other interested customers since it was in brand new condition, Acorn refused to assist, would not allow us to return the stairlift and only offered to disassemble and move it to another room.

After $5k wasted and hours of frustration dealing with their lack of customer service, we decided to allow the disassemble and sell it on our own. Apparently even that was too much for Acorn to handle. We had to wait over a month for the disassemble. The technician showed up over an hour late for the appointment with no phone calls or notice and then when I called Acorn to complain they took zero accountability and tried to put it back on me that the technician was within us two hour window, when a window was not given when the appointment was scheduled. This company is greedy, heartless and has no empathy for its customers and what they are going through. Once they get your money that’s it.

You would think in the industry that they are serving where most clients are elderly or facing a great medical circumstance which is the reason why they need the stairlift, that Acorn would be more empathetic and understanding and work to lighten the load of their clients. Instead, they only add more insult to injury and their actions show they are only concerned with collecting a check. Sad but definitely a learning experience. I would not recommend doing business with this company. Give it to one that actually cares and shows so with their actions.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We talk to Acorn 3 month before going to Wyo. We talked again just before we left CA. Acorn said they could do it. Called Acorn again when almost in Wyo. Told Acorn what days was good for us, we gave them a 3 day window. After 3 weeks of calling Acorn, they told us they could not do it they had no one in the area, and to find someone else. So we did out of Mont. and they did a great job. They were there when they said would be, and the job was done in a week. We told Acorn that I was 75 and could not go up or down stairs, because of my knees. By waiting on Acorn to tell us no, was very hard on me. So if you need it done so you can go up and down on your time frame, do not trust Acorn to meet your goals. Acorn did call back about 3 weeks after and said they would have someone in the area, by that time the stairs was in, they work great from the Company in MONT.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I bought the unit and it was installed on 12-1-17. The sales rep was very nice and answered all of our questions. This was installed in a condo unit for my Mom and the unit was undergoing construction new carpets, paint etc. On the day I moved in and brought my Mom to her new home she could not enter because my brand new chairlift did not operate, called for service and the earliest they could get there was 3 days later, then charged me $75.00 for new batteries... Are you kidding me?

I just got a letter in the mail saying my chair is out of warranty as of 12-1-18 and they want $600.00 a year for a warranty, again, are you kidding me? If I do not buy the warranty, $250.00 to come out, $75.00 hourly labor plus parts. I will be looking to remove this unit and buy from another company. I work in sales and deal with medical personnel and will be telling everyone and anyone I speak with not to buy this product. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER HAD THE DISPLEASURE OF DEALING WITH.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

There were two things that impressed me about my experience with the Acorn salesperson. Firstly, she was very well trained, and technically knew her product from top to bottom. I could ascertain this due to my past experience. She also believed in the product she was selling whole heartedly. Michaela **, recognized immediately that my wife Nancy was physically in a bad way (three major knee surgeries, and living on our second floor). I closely observed her as she took measurements and other requirements to see if we could accommodate a stairlift in our 1937 built home. Lastly, after a successful outcome, we talked. Most salespeople are usually anxious to complete their sale and move on. Michaela not only took the time to answer all our questions, but also get to know each other on a personal basis. It was a lovely experience. The product itself was installed quickly and is operating far above our expectations.

Acorn Stairlifts response

Hi James,

We thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and providing us with a 5 Star rating. We appreciate your business and are pleased you are enjoying the use of your stairlift!

Sincerely,

The Acorn Team

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

About 3-4 years ago, we bought an Acorn exterior Stairlift for a vacation rental house that we own in North Carolina. Acorn was the only company that we could find that would install an exterior unit here. Nothing fancy, our installation was straightforward with no turns. We bought it primarily to allow our aging mothers to visit the house; they have both passed now. We also thought it a benefit to allow our disabled guests access to our home which is ten feet off the ground to protect it from flooding. It is imperative that it work flawlessly ALL THE TIME! It has NEVER worked flawlessly.

Imagine what would happen if a mandatory hurricane evacuation order is given for the island and the chairlift fails... Call the company and be told there is no one to service the thing or you will have to wait 8 days? Your only hope then is a 911 call to an already overburdened Fire and Rescue company or scoot down the stairs on your butt. I visit the house several times a year to do routine maintenance. It NEVER fails that I have to work on the chairlift to get the thing to work. NEVER. I clean and lubricate the gear track to prevent stalls each time I visit the house. I test the unit multiple times, once I get it going again, to insure it is working.

The first time it failed, the unit was about 6 months old, I called the company. No help there; they do not service their own product. I called the installer and he told me that he had severed ties with the company because they treated him poorly. He eventually agreed to come over; charged me 500 bucks for about 10 minutes work. The problem is a poorly designed braking system that prevents the chair from moving if an overspeed is detected. This can be caused by the user moving on the chair while in motion or any number of other conditions. Truly folks, you are better off sitting on your butt and scooting down the stairs one at a time. Acorn Stairlifts should not be in business and should certainly not get your business. It is a pathetic product with NO CUSTOMER SERVICE that treats its installers poorly. They prey on disabled customers who have few, if any alternatives, and market an outdated, poorly designed, dangerous, product.

I wish that this review would do me some good...it will not. I wish that the Better Business Bureau or Consumer Affairs would get involved and somehow sanction Acorn. They will not and Acorn will continue to prey on unsuspecting, disabled people who have little if any money to spare (or waste) and few alternatives to this dishonest company. I would give this company MINUS 5 stars if that were possible.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

The Acorn Stairlift has made a real difference in our lives, especially my husband's life. He is now able to mobilize down the stairs in the garage to his vehicle without the worry of a fall. Because of this, he now leaves the house more often and can really enjoy life again and not feel so confined to our home. I can see the difference in his disposition and outlook on life. This is all because of his Acorn Stairlift. There is not a day that goes by that he does not express how thankful he is and how much better he feels! He exclaims that it is one of the best purchases we have ever made! Thank you, Acorn Stairlift!!!

Acorn Stairlifts response

Hi Virginia,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are pleased to hear how much your husband loves his new stairlift. It was sincerely our pleasure to help!

Many Thanks,

The Acorn Team

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Warning: DO NOT BUY THIS CHAIRLIFT. I would never recommend Acorn Stairlifts to anyone. Our chair stopped halfway upstairs with my 92 yr old father on it. When I called was told they sell, but have no service department. The customer (Dis)service department has to email the installation team not call over to them to see if they will send someone out, but they typically don’t have a service crew. If there is an installation crew in the area they may be able to come by, “but they typically don’t do repairs”. I had to call the fire department to rescue my dad. The chair was intended that he could spend his last days in his house, now he is prisoner, he can’t go up or down, just needs to stay on one floor. How do you explain that to a person with dementia? And the caregiver I was trying to hire now doesn’t want the job because there is no way to move him from bedroom to the main floor.

Whoever heard of a company that specializes (targets) the elderly and infirm and has no service support for their product? I wasn’t involved in making the decisions to purchase this chairlift but I hope these hugely negative reviews warn at least some people off from wasting their money and endangering themselves or loved ones. I am now searching for anyone who sells any brand of chairlift who may be able to help me.

The problem appears to be that even though it is parked on a charging port, it is not charging. Cranking it to the charging port resulted in a small enough charge to move it a foot or two. According to the manual, if the batteries run down all the way they won’t hold a charge and need to be replaced. You need an Acorn Engineer to replace them, and they don’t have one. Unless we get the charging ports fixed, it will just happen again anyway. And at $250 just for them to walk in the door (assuming they find a technician), it will almost be like buying the whole thing all over.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Both of my parents are in their 80s and my father uses a walker to get around. He can't climb stairs so we get an Acorn Stairlift installed. When it works it's a great device. It allows both of my parents to stay in their 2 story home. But that's where the issue comes in. The unit has been unreliable for the under 3 years it has been installed. The first year it was under warranty and had to be serviced a couple of times. It stopped just before the top or bottom of the stairs and wouldn't move.

Calling service always gets a polite person who try to be helpful but nothing can ever been done over the phone so a service tech has to come to their home to fix the lift. A few times it would take a couple of visits by different techs and each always blamed the previous repair person for not knowing how to fit it. The service techs are polite and try to help as much as they can with repairs taking from a few hours to a couple of days. Some of the service people have told us that the units have lots of problems. I don't think they work directly for the company but are independent workers trained by Acorn.

Service isn't offered on weekends. The last time the lift failed was on a Friday and we were told that Tuesday would be the earliest a service person could come out. As their house doesn't have a shower or bed on the main floor, four days is unacceptable. The second year we paid for extended warranty which I would say is a must. It's expensive but cheaper than service calls that can range from a minimum of $250 (to walk in the door) to over a $1,000 to fix something that has been fixed before.

Many times when the unit stops working it will beep every few seconds until the battery dies in a day or two (if you unplug it or it will continue to beep forever). The beeping drives my parents crazy like a dead battery in a smoke alarm. Techs have said in earlier units you could turn off the unit and the beeping would stop but in newer units it keeps beeping until repaired. Top Tip: If you get the beeping, you can open the unit and unplug one of the batteries to stop the beeping. Acorn can't tell you this as it could be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. It finally got to the point that my parents decided they can't live in their home of over 40 years and are going to move full time to Florida.

Reading other reviews it sounds like a few people have been lucky and got a unit that doesn't malfunction. That was not our case and not what Acorn's own service workers told us is common. They spent over $10,000 to have the unit installed and a few thousand more for extended warranties and out of warranty repairs. I'm happy to answer any questions about our experience with the Acorn Stairlift.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

GOOD GRIEF... We have practically nothing but trouble since we bought it in 2015. Currently it is in pieces in the spare bedroom. I had recent knee surgery and hip replacement. My mother is 88 years old and had recent hip replacement. We bought it because we needed it to do something other than sit in pieces and having to wait 5 days pending for anyone to come fix it. We've had so many service calls since we bought it that I believe we have a novel started. This is unacceptable. We should have shopped around first...

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Each time the stairlift starts, there is a loud, high-pitched whistle which can be heard for about 20 feet away. This lasts for 2 seconds, which is enough to waken anyone trying to sleep. This partially negates the benefits of this stairlift. We did contact Acorn, and they did send a technician. He said there was nothing he could do to silence the whistle. My feeling is that there is some connection that needs to be cut to cancel the whistle.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We installed an Acorn stairlift in July, 2017. Just before the one year warranty was up, the lift stopped halfway up the stairs with my son on it. We were able to get it restarted, and called for service right away. A technician came out and checked the parts and told us our unit was in good shape. In the last few weeks this has happened twice more. The warranty has expired and the company is trying to sell us a one year extended warranty for $800. This is ridiculous. The unit cost $7,000. I would think it should last longer than a year. We will not be buying the warranty and would like to sell it back to the company. The quality of this product is a major disappointment. Frustrated in PA.

Resolution response: Aug. 31, 2018

At 9:00 am this morning (Friday) a repair person showed up at my mom's house. During the visit, I received a call from a supervisor at Acorn. He told me that he had reviewed the phone conversation I had with their customer service representative and told me that it was unacceptable. He apologized and provided me with his direct number. After a three-hour visit, the Chairlift is working well. Upon concluding my conversation with the supervisor, I do believe that my experience was with Acorn was reflective of a poorly trained employee and not the company as a whole.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Do not buy a chair from this company. We paid them $11,000 for a lift for my 87 year old mother so she could stay in her house. Her bedroom is upstairs. Her kitchen and living space are downstairs. The lift is about 6 months old and today, Thursday her lift completely stopped working while she was upstairs in her bedroom. We called Acorn and they told us they could not send anyone out until Thursday. We explained that our 87 year old mom was stuck upstairs in her bedroom with her kitchen being downstairs. Their answer was that they are not an emergency service and that our mom will have to wait upstairs for 5 days until they can get to her house.

Really? They serve a disabled customer base and they are not an emergency Service? The really disturbing thing is that they could not care less that an 87 year old woman will be stuck in her room. Acorn does not care about the people who keep them in business. There are a lot of stair lift companies out there. Stay away from Acorn and look a company that cares more about its customers than it does the money it pumps out of them for a product and Service that clearly is unreliable and uncaring.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I paid $800 for their PREMIUM maintenance agreement. This guarantees me 24-48 hr to get a tech to the house. NOT! It's Thursday today and they said someone will be out in 8 days. Are they crazy?! I had to remind them I bought the highest level of service agreement. "Ok, we can have someone out on Tuesday". What?! That is 5 days from now. You can plead, argue, beg and it won't do a darn bit of good. They told me today there is a disclosure in the agreement that says "or soonest availability". Shame on your Acorn Stairlift. Shame on you!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

As a health care provider, I have referred 6 people to Acorn. All 6 people have gotten an Acorn Stairlift and could not be happier. I also had an Acorn 180 installed for my husband who is suffering with M.S. My parents had an Acorn Stairlift installed about 20 years ago. They have since passed, however, the stairlift remains in their home and functional as I know the new owners. As I read some of these reviews, I am wondering how many are factual. I have been dealing with Acorn for a very long time and I have never had an issue whatsoever. I remember my parents having a service issue, but was resolved within a day and a half. I highly recommend this company.

Original review: July 21, 2018

This is NOT a company you want to buy a stairlift from. From the moment it was installed we had to modify the staircase (at our expense) and the company wanted the entire cost immediately. They will service the unit after one year for $0, BUT wait when they are done they'll do their best to sell you an annual service agreement. This agreement will run you $595.00 per year for a $0 unscheduled call out and includes very little. Their customer service is great, if you're giving them money, but otherwise this company could care less if your loved one can get up and down the steps. Please read some of the other reviews. There are other companies out there that can and will install a chairlift.

I regret ever using this company and at least I have a relative who know how to fix it. Part only $120.00 I need... btw this part that broke after less than 23 months is the arm rest. Completely broke off when getting into chair almost throwing me (72 years old) down the staircase. This chairlift is suppose to be for 300 pounds plus and I weigh 264 pounds.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Do you want to experience the worst customer service? Use Acorn! Acorn doesn't provide service and "customer service" is not something they believe in. I signed up for a promotion and was assured 5 times I qualified and would receive my promotional bonus and two months later they state I am not eligible and will do nothing to work with me. They reiterate their policy, which states it isn't guaranteed, but had not communicated anything to me and I am beyond unsatisfied with the company.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Acorn Stairlifts can install a new chairlift tomorrow! But when it breaks, they can't fix it for a week. PLEASE! Do yourself and your loved ones a favor - DON'T BUY AN ACORN STAIRLIFT! It is not at all the solution it was promised to be. The company will tell you that they are the largest supplier of stairlifts in the country. That may be true, but all that means is that there are a LOT of suckers out there with stairlifts that may or may not work. Because of our situation, we settle for what we are told is "the best". The "best" is so far below "acceptable" that I can't even believe that this company is still in business. I guess we will settle for anything when it comes to our loved ones. But it is so frustrating to be the sucker who fell for this scam - at my age. I am just a family caregiver, and I want the "best" for my loved one. Acorn Stairlifts professes to provide an essential service for which there is no substitution, and when service is required, they do not provide it.

We are a family of engineers. We can pretty much fix anything around the house that breaks. So when the brand new stairlift failed with my father sitting on it, we assumed we could look in the manual for help. If I have room here, I will paste a copy of the "Troubleshooting" page of the manual. For a good, albeit very frustrating, laugh. The manual lists some possible malfunctions then recommends a specific corrective action. If you take the time to look at all the problems, they all have basically the same remedy. Unplug the machine for 30 seconds. If that doesn't work, call their service department. Which we did.

The service department told us that they would not have a technician available for at least a week. Assuming my loved one could drag his 200 lb. body up 2 flights of stairs, this is what they would have us do. If we could do that, we wouldn't have bought the "top-of-the-line" largest selling model they offer. I guess that is why I have to wait a week to get a technician over here. There are a LOT of crappy Acorn stairlifts that need to be fixed. We all wished we had just sold this house and purchased a single story house instead of buying the stairlift. What good is this stairlift if we can't use it? Save yourselves money and peace-of-mind and find a 1 story house. Even if you rent, you are still in better shape.

Original review: June 25, 2018

It will be 1 year since we had the straight stairlift installed (July 4, 2017) and already I have had at least 2 annoying phone calls from what sounded like a hard-selling car salesperson - selling us to buy service/maintenance service for the stair lift. We clean the railings periodically regularly, it is used once a day - going up at night and going down in the morning. I was 'warned' that if I do not buy into the service (not clearly identified as an annual service maintenance fee) we will lose warranty on all of its parts! The woman salesperson tried to impress me that there are ** number of moving parts comprising a stairlift and was really giving me a very hard sell (she reminded me of car salespersons) to buy the service contract. Eventually, I blocked her from my landline and my cellphone... as I cannot deal with the pressure of her sales talk.

Am giving it 2 stars. The chair works fine... and with the 'frequency' with which it is being used currently, I doubt if it will conk out or need repairs a year after it was installed? Otherwise, it must be a lemon? A friend recommended Acorn as he had one installed for his wife who needed to tackle 2 sets of stairs. We have one with 12 steps... If not for the hard sell on the service which the saleslady would not quote to me... I would have given it a passing grade. I will NOT recommend to my friends.

Original review: June 15, 2018

First off don't ever buy when they come to your home, they will call you the next day and offer you the same product for thousands less. If you don't buy they will call you constantly for years!! How is this legal? Even when you ask them to stop, they keep calling. The "warranty" is a joke. It's only lifetime if you pay for a $250 annual inspection plus labor, and other charges. Very deceptive business practices, stay away.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Worst decision ever, installing an Acorn Stairlift! Unless you pay for the YEARLY $750 maintenance plan, you will pay $250 up front for them just to come over, and then I think $250 hourly after that. We are on our third set of batteries in three years - They should last at least that long to begin with! We just had new ones installed in December, and here we are five months later with dead batteries again and my 93 year old deaf/blind mother stuck upstairs!

Of course, most people who purchase a stairlift in the first place are elderly, disabled, on fixed incomes, and don't necessarily just have this cash in their back pockets. I don't know if the other chairlift companies are this crooked, and I sure wish we'd done our homework first. We only went Acorn because of their "sweet" commercials and the only ones we'd ever heard of anyway. So shame on us for not looking into them on websites like this for reviews, but hopefully this can save someone else a few headaches.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I purchased the Acorn Stairlift approximately two years ago. We asked the installer that we wanted it installed on the other side of the stairs, but installer insisted that it would not work on that side of the stairs which it was a straight stairs with no turns, this did not make sense to me but had to accept his position. About a month ago, the seat cracked and I called Acorn and wanted to order a replacement seat due to this one was cracked on the edge. Acorn advised that they could not sell me a seat directly due to a liability problem they would have if it was not replaced by an Acorn installer. I asked what liability problem they have had. I did not get an answer, but Acorn would not sell me a replacement seat that has five screws holding it to the frame. I can't see paying Acorn $150.00 for a service call and the cost of the seat, that would take approximately 5 minutes to change. Very sad Company.

Original review: April 18, 2018

After 4 months, the stairlift installed in my friend's home is still not approved by the inspector. Appointments are constantly changed and delayed. The price was substantially higher than what was advertised. Because there were two turns in the staircase, I thought the price was probably ok. I could have lived with the overcharge on the price if the installation had been accomplished and my friend could use it. The sales person came out in mid-December. I got a call at the beginning of January to set up the installation, but installation wasn't scheduled until February. I was told that we had to wait for the inspector, but the first inspection appointment was scheduled out almost 5 weeks. Then it was cancelled 5 minutes before the inspector was supposed to be there. Acorn blamed the state inspector, but when the inspection was rescheduled 3 weeks later, the inspector actually had no record of a prior service call.

When the inspector finally came, it seems that the Acorn tech broke the electronic remote system by putting too much weight on the seat. He couldn't get it to work and told me that I needed to call and make another appointment. I did within 30 minutes of the inspector and him leaving. I read the repair order written by the Acorn tech. After much browbeating, I got an appointment 3 days later. That was rescheduled for more than a week later. Then the new appointment was rescheduled 3 times during the day. The person Acorn sent out hadn't been told what the issues were, so he was unprepared. He did what he could, but told me the tech that was there on the day of inspection was the only one who could fix the remote and should have done so. So the tech who was there 10 days ago is coming to fix what he broke. Run the other way.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I bought a lift for my mom. First the price is unreal, way too high. Talked me into buying a extended warranty. Was told it would only take 2-3 hours to install. They sent an guy from sales to install. It took him 7 hours to install. Less then two months after it was installed it stopped working. I called Acorn, was told I had to pay $500 out of pocket up front before the would sent out someone to look at the chair. He would look at the lift and order parts. Then I would have to pay another $500 for him to come back out and fix the chair lift. That the warranty just paid for parts. The $500 service fee plus the fee to work on the chair lift was not covered. And had to be paid up front.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Last January I referred a friend of mine to buy Acorn stairlift, after she bought it, I called for my referral check of $200 and was told it would take 4 to 7 weeks. It has been over 2 months, so I called again and they are giving me the runaround telling me they tried to contact the person I recommended, but are unable to reach her to confirm my referral. I doubt they ever intended to pay me.

Original review: March 28, 2018

My husband was having ankle surgery and had a heart attack a couple years ago so we decided to have a stairlift installed so he would eventually be able to get to his office downstairs. A lady from Acorn Stair Lifts came and measured and led us to believe the track would be not flush but close to the wall so others could walk up and down the stairs without concern. We had to put five hundred dollars down for this and did while trusting this woman's evaluation for us. A guy came to install it and informed us it would have to come further out practically to the middle of the stair. No way!!! So we did not let him install it and told him we wanted our five hundred dollars back.

It has been exhausting trying to communicate with this business who misled us in the initial assessment of how it would be installed. Today one of their representatives argued and argued about why they would not refund us but then said they would minus what they paid for a permit. People - PLEASE do not get caught in this web of deceit as we did. It was NOT our fault that the woman who came first did not let us know the track would end up nearly in the middle of our stairs. Not only is this not safe for adults but certainly not for ten grandchildren that are up and down this stairs. I hope everyone who is thinking of getting a stair lift will read our story. It is SO wrong that we have had to fight to get our five hundred back when it was the woman's fault it did not work out.

Acorn Stairlifts expert review by Shelley Webb

Acorn Stairlifts has been providing quality products since 1992. The company is based in Orlando, Florida, but has distribution centers around the world.

• They offer a large variety of stairlifts: Users can purchase a stairlift meant for indoor or outdoor use and the company can work with both curved and straight stairways.

• They offer perched seats: Users who have trouble bending their knees may benefit from the use of a perched seat to transport them from floor to floor.

• Outdoor stairlifts are also available: Users can purchase and have stairlifts installed outdoors so that they can enjoy their deck, patio or yard or get out of the house more easily.

• They offer rapid installation: Stairlifts can be installed within 24 hours of purchase.

• They provide a 12-month guarantee: All products are covered for the first 12 months of use, so if they fail to work or don't meet users' needs, they can be returned. The registration card needs to be returned within the first 30 days in order to qualify.

• Best for: people who can’t walk, people with limited mobility, people who have a heart or lung condition, and people who have trouble bending their knees.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
    Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Acorn Stairlifts Company Information