2.11/5

Need a good stair lift company?

168 Acorn Stairlifts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 2, 2019

Lots of money. Machine works but with 16 stairs, rail installed in sections. Had Acorn return and they could not fix and stated that it would always be bumpy and jerky because of joining rails. Really irritating.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Be aware that on the 130 Straight Stairlift, it doesn't have the Standard Park function where the footrest is level with the top step, where both feet are level with the landing. You have to use your feet to push yourself around to a 90 degree angle to step off the chair onto the landing. This can be a problem if you have foot or leg problems. The curved stair lift apparently has this function. Otherwise I was very pleased with the chair and its installation.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

There were two things that impressed me about my experience with the Acorn salesperson. Firstly, she was very well trained, and technically knew her product from top to bottom. I could ascertain this due to my past experience. She also believed in the product she was selling whole heartedly. Michaela **, recognized immediately that my wife Nancy was physically in a bad way (three major knee surgeries, and living on our second floor). I closely observed her as she took measurements and other requirements to see if we could accommodate a stairlift in our 1937 built home. Lastly, after a successful outcome, we talked. Most salespeople are usually anxious to complete their sale and move on. Michaela not only took the time to answer all our questions, but also get to know each other on a personal basis. It was a lovely experience. The product itself was installed quickly and is operating far above our expectations.

Acorn Stairlifts response

Hi James,

We thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and providing us with a 5 Star rating. We appreciate your business and are pleased you are enjoying the use of your stairlift!

Sincerely,

The Acorn Team

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

The Acorn Stairlift has made a real difference in our lives, especially my husband's life. He is now able to mobilize down the stairs in the garage to his vehicle without the worry of a fall. Because of this, he now leaves the house more often and can really enjoy life again and not feel so confined to our home. I can see the difference in his disposition and outlook on life. This is all because of his Acorn Stairlift. There is not a day that goes by that he does not express how thankful he is and how much better he feels! He exclaims that it is one of the best purchases we have ever made! Thank you, Acorn Stairlift!!!

Acorn Stairlifts response

Hi Virginia,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are pleased to hear how much your husband loves his new stairlift. It was sincerely our pleasure to help!

Many Thanks,

The Acorn Team

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

As a health care provider, I have referred 6 people to Acorn. All 6 people have gotten an Acorn Stairlift and could not be happier. I also had an Acorn 180 installed for my husband who is suffering with M.S. My parents had an Acorn Stairlift installed about 20 years ago. They have since passed, however, the stairlift remains in their home and functional as I know the new owners. As I read some of these reviews, I am wondering how many are factual. I have been dealing with Acorn for a very long time and I have never had an issue whatsoever. I remember my parents having a service issue, but was resolved within a day and a half. I highly recommend this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acorn Stairlifts?

Original review: May 21, 2019

My parents, aged 84 & 87 purchased an Acorn Stairlift. They paid for two chairs. One for each level of their home. The chairs work wonderfully and provide great accessibility to their which they have lived in for almost 50 years. I do find it quite disappointing that ACORN is using predatory techniques to sell aftercare warranties. At no point during the sales process did the salesman mention a 1 year warranty on their merchandise. At no point during the sales process did the salesman mention the warranties were year to year.

My father asked me to look at the warranty renewal letter that Acorn sent them. I contacted ACORN and was assigned to a sales person named Mike. I asked him about the warranties and he offered 3 options. He mentioned that due to the fact there is a stairlift chair and 2 stair cases, my parts would be required to purchase separate warranties on each offering a discount on the second stairlift. I told Mike that we would probably select the best warranty, which can ONLY be purchased year to year. Mike forwarded options and I reviewed with my parents. Mike did mention the warranties can ONLY be purchased in full. NO payment plans. That means my parents are required to pay almost $900 upfront versus a monthly payment.

Mike opted to call my parents as follow up on his end. When he told my mother that she could only pay the warranty upfront, and she only had a 1 year warranty on her $6000 lift chair, she was very disappointed. She told Mike the salesman never mentioned short term warranties... Mike's response was quite typical "well it is all in your contract". After speaking with my Mother, Mike opted to call me and ask about how soon we wanted to pay for the warranty. It will not happen until after the end of the month as I cannot in good faith help him meet his quota. He can count his sales for next month. No worries, we are going to order the warranty as we really have no option at this time. We are going to bite into their tight budget to ensure they have accessibility and peace of mind.

Allow me to say the short sightedness of preying upon Elderly customers will not go unnoticed. Thanks to social media and my extensive network of friends who have elderly parents and relatives they are/will be caring for, I plan to share our experience with everyone I know, including, Yelp, review sight, etc... I would never allow any elderly customer to purchase such an expensive item without letting them know Acorn makes it real money with annual aftercare warranties. GOOD JOB GUYS!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: May 20, 2019

We purchased our Acorn Stairlift - two levels - March 2018. We have had problems with it the last 4 months. It will stop when going up or down not once, not twice, but 4 or more times. You just have to wait sitting in the chair until it decides to move! I called the company to repair it. It took a week for them to come out, and then they wanted to charge me! I told them that we had only had it for 11 months.

The service tech came out and tinkered around for over an hour, then ask for two new batteries for the "clicker". I told him that we had changed it just a week ago. Still having problems with it, so I called today and raised cane with them. She said there would be a charge; and I told her I was not paying, because they hadn't fixed it in the first place, and if it wasn't fixed this time I would call the Consumer Protection Dept, at the Florida State Attorney's Office and let their lawyers take care of the problem. And they still pester you about their $500 per year service contract. If you don't use it during that year, then they charge you another $500! If I had known of the problems people were having with the Acorn Stairlift, etc., I would have never purchased it. I wouldn't advise anyone to purchase their lift.

Original review: May 14, 2019

We paid $15,500 8 weeks ago for a three level stairlift for our 91 yr old Alzheimer’s mother. It has been “playing up” the past few days. We did usual home fixes. Swapped out the remote batteries, rebooted. Today, it stopped mid staircase (very steep narrow stairs) with mom in the seat. Called customer service. Explained situation, while mom becomes increasingly distressed at being stuck, to be told 1 we aren’t holding the remote right (we had been until this week!) or that perhaps the batteries in the remote needed changed - she said this to me two minutes AFTER I told her we had changed them and it hadn’t helped. Went away and came back offering $250 service call out. I said, "What, it’s only 8- weeks old." She said service would call me back.

TWO HOURS later they called - I had gotten mom out barely and shuffled her downstairs on her bottom, but they didn’t know that - as far as they knew she was still stuck mid-stairway. So I’m stuck paying $250 for a service or shuffling a 91-year old upstairs on her bottom. Don’t touch these folks with a barge pole. Crap product and awful post purchase service.

Original review: May 7, 2019

After installing the stairlift, we have heard anything from Acorn. Last week someone from Acorn called and wanted to sell extended warranties. When I said no, the guy just hung up the phone. Did not even bother to ask how is the stairlift working? Acorn doesn’t care for its customers!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
    Original review: April 19, 2019

Called for service as my Mom's chair is completely inoperable. Was told that the next available appointment was a week away. Was told that this particular area was very busy and we would be put on a cancellation list. Was told probably needs new battery. No indication on chair that battery was low. Mom stuck in basement apartment. Unacceptable.

Original review: April 4, 2019

These products are not cheap but necessary. We have had the chairlift for less than a year and it's broken down 3 times. This time it was completely inspected and signed off on yesterday then today it tilts 45 degrees, nearly tosses my mother down the stairs and stops working. Best part is they can't get anyone out here to fix it for 5 days! This means my mother is stranded upstairs for 5 days. She cannot leave the house, she will be trapped in an emergency. This is dangerous and unhealthy for anyone psychologically to be trapped in their home. This is literally a life saving product and there is no urgency to get this repaired. The quality on something this important is terrifying and the complete disregard for the living conditions of the clients who keep them in business is abhorrent!

Resolution response: April 2, 2019

My previous complaint, expressed in an earlier review, has been listened to and well taken care of. It turns out, they're "just a phone call away." The phone call came this morning, and I'm happy to say not only does my stairlift work well, but the company really seeks to satisfy its customers.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have paid to keep the service agreement yearly, although I think $595.00 is steep as I required no service this last year. The bill showed up again recently for the same amount, and I paid it. Then early one evening I get a call saying I owe $55.04 more for taxes (never charged before and my state has had sale taxes for many, many years) and pushing me to give my credit card number right then. I declined and asked for paper. I get a questionable form. I called and received, after transfer to the finance department, answers I found to be questionable. I still wonder if I wasn't the "mark" for yet another scam on old people.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

My 85 year old mother has a chairlift used regularly until she was admitted to hospital. It stopped working and I called to repair the problem $165 plus parts. I was not told to wait til it was fixed. I assumed it was fixed and came a few days later to find it wasn’t working. Called again to get it fixed saying I wouldn’t be there. They came and said they couldn’t enter because I wasn't there - apparently that was my fault! They came again to fix the same problem. I checked it later and it worked to get to the bottom of the stairs then stopped working. Whilst Mum was ok hospital it remained there. I let them know but I took 8 weeks to book in another call due to Mum's not being in the house.

Another call out and $165 and parts. I complained to multiple people about being charged again to fix the same problem. I was blamed for not using it regularly and explained I couldn’t use a broken machine, blamed for debris building up under the broken chair, blamed for leaving the broken chair at the bottom of the chairlift, blamed for not piling the broken chairlift. Excuses excuses excuses. I was told as it was out of warranty, and they do not guarantee their work on out of warranty chairs, if they needed to come out again in a couple of months I’d be charged again. DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I was in a horrible motorcycle accident in June of last year with many serious injuries. I had a Stairlift installed in October so that I could access my upstairs where my bedrooms and bathrooms are located. I am pleased with it except for one critical function. I and my neighbors who were here the day the salesman came out told us that it would wrap around a wall upstairs but when installed it stops at the top of the stairs with my feet dangling over the last and next to last step of the staircase. I have to swing my left foot out to reach the landing to swivel the seat. It is hard for me to do especially if I have items in my lap. I have called my salesman twice with no return callback. I am quite frustrated at this point. The construction is dangerous.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

We purchased our custom curved stairway stairlift from Acorn in February of 2018. When my husband came home from hospital he used it for 1 month then no longer needed it. We kept it in place in case of further need but he passed away in September of that year. Called Acorn to ask if they could assist with installation of this unit in another home with same staircase layout if needed. They offered no assistance whatsoever. Since that time I have learned that they not only will not support the stairlift if installed in another home but that they will also refuse to provide any parts or service for the stairlift if moved to another location. Would think twice before considering Acorn.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I purchased Acorn 180 Stairlift on February 2015. To our surprise that they did not tell us that the contract doesn't cover the batteries. 2 Batteries costs us over $250 and we already paid twice so far in 4 years!! I couldn't replace a new carpet because they won't touch the stairlift and have to Acorn tech to uninstall and get a new carpet and reinstall the stairlift. Acorn said it will cost us over $1400 just to uninstall and reinstall!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Purchased the chair and had it installed October 2016 for my dad. The chair worked great and the first issue didn't come up until July 2018. The chair stopped working completely and we had a technician come and repair it. Whatever he did got it working fine again but we were told that if that code came up again he would recommend replacing the motherboard (not sure this is the correct term). Had an annual service in October 2018, the batteries needed replacing already. We were originally told the batteries should last 3-4 years, it had only been 2 years. Then on New Year’s Eve 2018 in the afternoon the chair stopped working again, dead at the top of the stairs. Same code as July 2018. Since this was New Year’s Eve and we are on the West Coast and the number we call is eastern (three hours ahead) we were unable to reach the service department that day, and they were closed the next day.

Finally on Jan 2 we got a hold of someone. They were able to see the previous work order and we were told the part had to be ordered and it would take a week to get here. So my dad had to manage for just over a week before he could use the lift again. They replaced the part with an upgrade and didn't provide us with a new manual so when the chair started flashing a code our book indicated that it was a fault and to call for service immediately. Turns out the codes for this chair are different than the previous codes. We asked for a new manual and were told it would be six months at the earliest just to get a manual. Thank goodness for Google I was able to see what the codes indicated. Now just today (Jan 28) the chair stopped halfway up the stairs and took several minutes to get moving again, apparently this has happened before.

Will be calling for service tomorrow and hoping they can fix the issue before the chair breaks down again. Just glad we got the extended warranty, I definitely highly recommend the maximum extended warranty offered if you purchase this product. I would say that the people we have dealt with, everyone from the salesman to the technicians to the service people on the phone have been very nice and as helpful as they could be. Unfortunately based on reviews I have since read and the issues that come up I feel the products reliability is questionable. I keep wondering when it will stop working again. This is not the peace of mind I was looking for when we originally purchased the product.

Resolution response: Jan. 22, 2019

I received a call from Josh at Acorn customer support this morning. he assured me that the same youn man who installed my stairlift would be here in two days to repair my stairlift at no further charge to me. thank you Josh and Acorn. Hopefully, this problem will be resolved in two days. I am deeply appreciative of your timely response.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We had an Acorn straight stairlift installed almost four years ago. The installation went fine, but the rail had to extend into the opening for our basement bathroom. We, therefore had to have a hinge installed, so the last few inches of rail could be lifted out of way. Recently, the lift began to make a loud popping noise at intervals along rail, and hinged extension became misaligned, so chair stopped at gap between upper rail and extension. We called customer support. Technician came out when he was supposed to, greased the rail and said that would cure the popping noise. So far, the noise seems to have gone away.

The technician began trying to sell us a service contract as soon as he entered, but denied he was doing it. He then proceeded to tell us about his life, multiple marriages and divorces as he intermittently tried to fix the problem with the hinge and continued to push the service contract. Was he fixing or trying to break the equipment. He loosened every support on the rail, banged on them with a socket wrench, even kicked the machine at one point and bounced forward and back in the chair with all supports loose. Finally, my wife pointed out an adjustment screw he had not touched.

When he loosened it, the rail aligned and the equipment worked ok. After a lot more talk, several e-mails and phone calls to the company, the consensus was we could not leave that screw loose even though tightening it drove everything out of alignment again. We would have to have a new hinge installed, buy a new stairlift, or live with the problem. The price of a new hinge kept coming down until it got to $450. My wife and I kept saying, "No" to the hinge until he finally gave up and started on the contract once again. Once again the answer was, "No".

Was he there to fix our equipment, sell us a contract, or break something important, so we would be forced to buy a new contract? Was he truthful about the adjustment screw? Can he do anything competently besides grease a rail? I don't know. I only know it cost us $274 and change to get us out of our house. Now I am wondering if I will get another bill for the time he spent spinning his fascinating stories.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I took a loan to buy an ACORN STAIRLIFT after busting both legs as a Fireman, and been having trouble with the chair a few times since installation. My chair would stop going up or down my steps mostly around 3 times. Sometimes, I had to sit until it decided to move again. A repairman would come to my home and said it was fixed, leave and same thing all over again. The office would say about the repairs he did. Last time he was here office said he repaired a wire in my chair. "The repairman never did nothing but rode my chair a couple times and left. He never touch any repairs". I just put over $20,000 in my home with Window World (another mistake) making my home handicap accessible and now thinking about selling to buy ranch home.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have muscular dystrophy and can no longer walk or stand and was unable to get to the second floor of our home. I contacted Acorn Stairlifts in order to keep my independence and ability to get to our bedroom and roll-in shower. Was told by the sales person before purchase that everything was adjustable. Lift installed on 12/24/18. Talked to installer before work started that seat at the top had to be even with the wheelchair seat. He said that he would try to make it as close as possible but he was limited as to what adjustments he could make. Also, the seat, armrests, controls and foot plate cannot be changed or adjusted. Seems sales was misleading on the adjustability of the unit.

After install, Dan the installer had me try transferring to the unit downstairs to try it. Installer saw how hard it was to transfer downstairs to the lift, that my position on the lift was not comfortable and I was not able to transfer to the wheelchair at the top. Came back down and transferred back to main chair. Installer said that he understands that disabled people need to work out new things and that I should try a few times to transfer and to call the office if it was not going to work. My Daughter and her fiancé were present at this time and can confirm the installer’s statement to try it a few times to see if I would be able to transfer.

Called customer service on 12/27 12:02. Discuss having the lift removed and refunded because I am not able to make this work. Was told that my file would be sent to management. Called customer service on 12/27 4:15 because no one had called back. After 17 mins got disconnected and they called right back, was told that case had be sent to a manager after another 11 mins, but they were gone for the day. Called customer service on 12/28 at 10:35 and was told that the case was sent to management but they only discuss cases on Thursdays which would mean not until 1/3/19. At this point both people that I talked to said that the case did have notes indicating that we did not think this was going to work made by Dan the installer. Feeling like we were getting the runaround. Called customer service on 1/4/19 at 2:24 because still no phone call had been received. Was told that a manager would call back.

Received a call from Josh on 1/4/19 at 2:57. Discussed our problem with the lift and that I wanted the lift removed and refunded. Josh said that if the lift was not going to work the installer should have removed it the same day. I told him about our discussion with Dan the installer and that HE said to try the transferring to see if it was going to work and if not to call the office. Josh’s main reply was to keep repeating that all he can do is tell me Acorn’s policy that all sales are final.

Told Josh that this was not acceptable and that they needed to remove the lift because it was only taking up space by the front door, hallway and stairs for something that I could never use. Josh asked how much I weighed and if I had discussed with Dan the installer what we would have to do if this did not work. I told him my weight (100 lbs. or less) and that we would look at putting in an elevator/platform lift. Josh asked if there was someone in the home that could help me with using the stair lift and I said yes, most times, but the whole idea of this was to keep my independence and ability to get up and down stairs.

It turned out that I don’t think Josh is even a manager because he said that he was going to discuss this with Dan the installer and then with management and would call back. I feel that the moment that the installer said to try it for a couple of days and if it did not work to call customer service that it voided the companies right to say all sales are final and we are stuck with it.

1/10/19 – Company called and agreed to refund our purchase but is charging 1,275.00 as a restocking fee. This amount seems to be excessive but when asked they would not lower it. Since we had disputed the original credit card charges, they wanted us to withdraw the dispute. I discovered that if we were to do that, we would have no other available options if they did not refund the difference as agreed. I think they know this and that is why they wanted us to withdraw it. We are not and Acorn will have to represent the charges. They will not remove the lift or make the refund adjustment until the original charges have been re-processed which could take over 30 days. We are not happy with this arrangement. We felt that if we did not agree to the 1,275.00 that they would do nothing and we might have to go to court to get this resolved.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Salesman stated that Acorn had a service facility in my hometown (Winston-Salem, NC.) This was a lie. They have two repairmen that service the entire state of North Carolina. The installer was very rude. I will not let him in my house again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Acorn Stairlifts has to be the worst company I have done business with. My mother purchased a stairlift for her husband who could no longer get around due to cancer. Unfortunately, his condition worsened two weeks after the stairlift was installed and he ultimately passed away about a month later. The stairlift was hardly used given the circumstance and had only been installed for a month. When I explained the situation to Acorn and asked if we could return the stairlift or assist with reselling to other interested customers since it was in brand new condition, Acorn refused to assist, would not allow us to return the stairlift and only offered to disassemble and move it to another room.

After $5k wasted and hours of frustration dealing with their lack of customer service, we decided to allow the disassemble and sell it on our own. Apparently even that was too much for Acorn to handle. We had to wait over a month for the disassemble. The technician showed up over an hour late for the appointment with no phone calls or notice and then when I called Acorn to complain they took zero accountability and tried to put it back on me that the technician was within us two hour window, when a window was not given when the appointment was scheduled. This company is greedy, heartless and has no empathy for its customers and what they are going through. Once they get your money that’s it.

You would think in the industry that they are serving where most clients are elderly or facing a great medical circumstance which is the reason why they need the stairlift, that Acorn would be more empathetic and understanding and work to lighten the load of their clients. Instead, they only add more insult to injury and their actions show they are only concerned with collecting a check. Sad but definitely a learning experience. I would not recommend doing business with this company. Give it to one that actually cares and shows so with their actions.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We talk to Acorn 3 month before going to Wyo. We talked again just before we left CA. Acorn said they could do it. Called Acorn again when almost in Wyo. Told Acorn what days was good for us, we gave them a 3 day window. After 3 weeks of calling Acorn, they told us they could not do it they had no one in the area, and to find someone else. So we did out of Mont. and they did a great job. They were there when they said would be, and the job was done in a week. We told Acorn that I was 75 and could not go up or down stairs, because of my knees. By waiting on Acorn to tell us no, was very hard on me. So if you need it done so you can go up and down on your time frame, do not trust Acorn to meet your goals. Acorn did call back about 3 weeks after and said they would have someone in the area, by that time the stairs was in, they work great from the Company in MONT.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I bought the unit and it was installed on 12-1-17. The sales rep was very nice and answered all of our questions. This was installed in a condo unit for my Mom and the unit was undergoing construction new carpets, paint etc. On the day I moved in and brought my Mom to her new home she could not enter because my brand new chairlift did not operate, called for service and the earliest they could get there was 3 days later, then charged me $75.00 for new batteries... Are you kidding me?

I just got a letter in the mail saying my chair is out of warranty as of 12-1-18 and they want $600.00 a year for a warranty, again, are you kidding me? If I do not buy the warranty, $250.00 to come out, $75.00 hourly labor plus parts. I will be looking to remove this unit and buy from another company. I work in sales and deal with medical personnel and will be telling everyone and anyone I speak with not to buy this product. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER HAD THE DISPLEASURE OF DEALING WITH.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

About 3-4 years ago, we bought an Acorn exterior Stairlift for a vacation rental house that we own in North Carolina. Acorn was the only company that we could find that would install an exterior unit here. Nothing fancy, our installation was straightforward with no turns. We bought it primarily to allow our aging mothers to visit the house; they have both passed now. We also thought it a benefit to allow our disabled guests access to our home which is ten feet off the ground to protect it from flooding. It is imperative that it work flawlessly ALL THE TIME! It has NEVER worked flawlessly.

Imagine what would happen if a mandatory hurricane evacuation order is given for the island and the chairlift fails... Call the company and be told there is no one to service the thing or you will have to wait 8 days? Your only hope then is a 911 call to an already overburdened Fire and Rescue company or scoot down the stairs on your butt. I visit the house several times a year to do routine maintenance. It NEVER fails that I have to work on the chairlift to get the thing to work. NEVER. I clean and lubricate the gear track to prevent stalls each time I visit the house. I test the unit multiple times, once I get it going again, to insure it is working.

The first time it failed, the unit was about 6 months old, I called the company. No help there; they do not service their own product. I called the installer and he told me that he had severed ties with the company because they treated him poorly. He eventually agreed to come over; charged me 500 bucks for about 10 minutes work. The problem is a poorly designed braking system that prevents the chair from moving if an overspeed is detected. This can be caused by the user moving on the chair while in motion or any number of other conditions. Truly folks, you are better off sitting on your butt and scooting down the stairs one at a time. Acorn Stairlifts should not be in business and should certainly not get your business. It is a pathetic product with NO CUSTOMER SERVICE that treats its installers poorly. They prey on disabled customers who have few, if any alternatives, and market an outdated, poorly designed, dangerous, product.

I wish that this review would do me some good...it will not. I wish that the Better Business Bureau or Consumer Affairs would get involved and somehow sanction Acorn. They will not and Acorn will continue to prey on unsuspecting, disabled people who have little if any money to spare (or waste) and few alternatives to this dishonest company. I would give this company MINUS 5 stars if that were possible.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Warning: DO NOT BUY THIS CHAIRLIFT. I would never recommend Acorn Stairlifts to anyone. Our chair stopped halfway upstairs with my 92 yr old father on it. When I called was told they sell, but have no service department. The customer (Dis)service department has to email the installation team not call over to them to see if they will send someone out, but they typically don’t have a service crew. If there is an installation crew in the area they may be able to come by, “but they typically don’t do repairs”. I had to call the fire department to rescue my dad. The chair was intended that he could spend his last days in his house, now he is prisoner, he can’t go up or down, just needs to stay on one floor. How do you explain that to a person with dementia? And the caregiver I was trying to hire now doesn’t want the job because there is no way to move him from bedroom to the main floor.

Whoever heard of a company that specializes (targets) the elderly and infirm and has no service support for their product? I wasn’t involved in making the decisions to purchase this chairlift but I hope these hugely negative reviews warn at least some people off from wasting their money and endangering themselves or loved ones. I am now searching for anyone who sells any brand of chairlift who may be able to help me.

The problem appears to be that even though it is parked on a charging port, it is not charging. Cranking it to the charging port resulted in a small enough charge to move it a foot or two. According to the manual, if the batteries run down all the way they won’t hold a charge and need to be replaced. You need an Acorn Engineer to replace them, and they don’t have one. Unless we get the charging ports fixed, it will just happen again anyway. And at $250 just for them to walk in the door (assuming they find a technician), it will almost be like buying the whole thing all over.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Both of my parents are in their 80s and my father uses a walker to get around. He can't climb stairs so we get an Acorn Stairlift installed. When it works it's a great device. It allows both of my parents to stay in their 2 story home. But that's where the issue comes in. The unit has been unreliable for the under 3 years it has been installed. The first year it was under warranty and had to be serviced a couple of times. It stopped just before the top or bottom of the stairs and wouldn't move.

Calling service always gets a polite person who try to be helpful but nothing can ever been done over the phone so a service tech has to come to their home to fix the lift. A few times it would take a couple of visits by different techs and each always blamed the previous repair person for not knowing how to fit it. The service techs are polite and try to help as much as they can with repairs taking from a few hours to a couple of days. Some of the service people have told us that the units have lots of problems. I don't think they work directly for the company but are independent workers trained by Acorn.

Service isn't offered on weekends. The last time the lift failed was on a Friday and we were told that Tuesday would be the earliest a service person could come out. As their house doesn't have a shower or bed on the main floor, four days is unacceptable. The second year we paid for extended warranty which I would say is a must. It's expensive but cheaper than service calls that can range from a minimum of $250 (to walk in the door) to over a $1,000 to fix something that has been fixed before.

Many times when the unit stops working it will beep every few seconds until the battery dies in a day or two (if you unplug it or it will continue to beep forever). The beeping drives my parents crazy like a dead battery in a smoke alarm. Techs have said in earlier units you could turn off the unit and the beeping would stop but in newer units it keeps beeping until repaired. Top Tip: If you get the beeping, you can open the unit and unplug one of the batteries to stop the beeping. Acorn can't tell you this as it could be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. It finally got to the point that my parents decided they can't live in their home of over 40 years and are going to move full time to Florida.

Reading other reviews it sounds like a few people have been lucky and got a unit that doesn't malfunction. That was not our case and not what Acorn's own service workers told us is common. They spent over $10,000 to have the unit installed and a few thousand more for extended warranties and out of warranty repairs. I'm happy to answer any questions about our experience with the Acorn Stairlift.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

GOOD GRIEF... We have practically nothing but trouble since we bought it in 2015. Currently it is in pieces in the spare bedroom. I had recent knee surgery and hip replacement. My mother is 88 years old and had recent hip replacement. We bought it because we needed it to do something other than sit in pieces and having to wait 5 days pending for anyone to come fix it. We've had so many service calls since we bought it that I believe we have a novel started. This is unacceptable. We should have shopped around first...

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Each time the stairlift starts, there is a loud, high-pitched whistle which can be heard for about 20 feet away. This lasts for 2 seconds, which is enough to waken anyone trying to sleep. This partially negates the benefits of this stairlift. We did contact Acorn, and they did send a technician. He said there was nothing he could do to silence the whistle. My feeling is that there is some connection that needs to be cut to cancel the whistle.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We installed an Acorn stairlift in July, 2017. Just before the one year warranty was up, the lift stopped halfway up the stairs with my son on it. We were able to get it restarted, and called for service right away. A technician came out and checked the parts and told us our unit was in good shape. In the last few weeks this has happened twice more. The warranty has expired and the company is trying to sell us a one year extended warranty for $800. This is ridiculous. The unit cost $7,000. I would think it should last longer than a year. We will not be buying the warranty and would like to sell it back to the company. The quality of this product is a major disappointment. Frustrated in PA.

Acorn Stairlifts expert review by Shelley Webb

Acorn Stairlifts has been providing quality products since 1992. The company is based in Orlando, Florida, but has distribution centers around the world.

• They offer a large variety of stairlifts: Users can purchase a stairlift meant for indoor or outdoor use and the company can work with both curved and straight stairways.

• They offer perched seats: Users who have trouble bending their knees may benefit from the use of a perched seat to transport them from floor to floor.

• Outdoor stairlifts are also available: Users can purchase and have stairlifts installed outdoors so that they can enjoy their deck, patio or yard or get out of the house more easily.

• They offer rapid installation: Stairlifts can be installed within 24 hours of purchase.

• They provide a 12-month guarantee: All products are covered for the first 12 months of use, so if they fail to work or don't meet users' needs, they can be returned. The registration card needs to be returned within the first 30 days in order to qualify.

• Best for: people who can’t walk, people with limited mobility, people who have a heart or lung condition, and people who have trouble bending their knees.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
    Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Acorn Stairlifts Company Information