2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.76/5

Bruno is a third-generation, family-owned-and-operated company committed to designing and manufacturing the highest-quality stairlifts and accessibility products to help people with mobility challenges retain their independence. Made-in-USA Bruno stairlifts are manufactured exclusively in Wisconsin, United States - and proudly installed by local experts who live in, support and serve their local communities.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Video
Bruno Independent Living Aids Gallery (5)

BOTTOM LINE

Bruno Independent Living has a good range of stair lifts, with important safety features and some stylish options. Though the curved models have fewer aesthetic options, they are still compatible with most staircases.

PROS

• High weight capacity
  • Good warranty
  • Affordable option available

CONS

• Only available through dealers

Top Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

So far, so good. It is safe, and there’s no problem learning how to use it. I just push the button and ride. I feel much better in my home with the Bruno stairlift. I will highly recommend it.

Bruno stair lift models

Bruno Independent Living manufactures all their stair lifts in the USA. For those wondering how to install a Bruno stair lift, you don’t need to worry about having technical expertise — only official dealers and authorized technicians can and should install a Bruno stair lift. Bruno stair lift batteries are rechargeable, so the stair lifts can run even during a power outage.

Bruno indoor stair lifts

• Elan Stair Lift (300 lbs capacity): The Elan Stair Lift, also known as the SRE 3000, is Bruno’s most popular stair lift model. One great feature of the Elan is that it can be continually charged, not just at the top or the bottom of the railing like some models from other companies. You can also flip the seat up, so it’s out of the way and doesn’t obstruct the stairs. Installed safety sensors will stop the stair lift in the case of an obstruction on the stairs. The Elan is battery-powered, so it functions during a power outage.
  • Elite Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Stair Lift is a step up from the Elan model. While the Elan is perfectly functional and works well, the Elite can be customized to fit with your home’s decor. You can choose from various options for the seat upholstery and the power chair railing. The Elite model also has a higher weight capacity, at 400 lbs. Like the Elan, it can charge all along the strip, not just at the top and bottom of the landing. It also can fold up so it’s out of the way for people who don’t need to use it. With the Elite, you can also opt for a larger footrest or larger seat. Power swiveling is another option.
  • Elite Curved Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Curved Stair Lift is similar to the original Elite Stair Lift but made for curved stairs. It is also chargeable from anywhere on the stairs, has a safety feature to come to a stop if it senses an obstruction, has a power swivel option and can fold up and out of the way if needed. Unlike the other units, you can remove the lift from the stairs when it’s not in use; however, there is no option to have a painted rail or other custom options.

Bruno outdoor stair lifts

• Elite Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Outdoor Elite has been made to withstand even the most extreme conditions, ranging from 0 degrees to 125 degrees Fahrenheit. Weatherproof features include the use of durable paint on all steel surfaces as well as a complimentary sun, snow and water-resistant cover. The Outdoor Elite can flip up out of the way of the stairs and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction blocking its path. You can think of the Elite Outdoor Stair Lift as a twin to the indoor Elite Stair Lift, just with features designed to make it compatible for the outdoors.
  • Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): Like the indoor Curved Stair Lift, the Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift is custom made for outdoor landscapes that don’t have straightforward stairwells. The curved Elite outdoor model has a power swivel and weatherproof paint. It can fold up and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction. It also is resistant to a wide range of temperatures and comes with a cover.
ModelWeight capacityBest feature
Elan Stair Lift300 lbsLow price
Elite Stair Lift400 lbsStylish upholstery and rail options
Elite Curved Stair Lift400 lbsWorks with almost any type of curved staircase
Elite Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsWeather-resistant paint and cover
Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsCustomizable to wide range of outdoor arrangements

Bruno stair lift cost

Bruno Independent Living doesn’t advertise prices on its website. You’ll have to reach out to them directly to obtain a quote. Generally, stair lifts in the United States can cost between $2,000 and $10,000. A straight stair lift will cost less, and a curved stair lift will cost more. The Bruno Elite stair lift price is higher than that of the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most basic model. If you’re looking for a bargain, it’s best to check out the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most popular purchase. Financing is available for Bruno stair lifts.

Bruno stair lifts also come with a warranty. Indoor straight stairlifts have a lifetime warranty on the major components, like the gearbox, motor, drivetrain and rail. The major components on outdoor and curved stair lifts have a 5-year warranty. All other components on every stair lift have a 2-year warranty. There is also a 30-day labor coverage after installation in the case of a manufacturing defect. These warranties are only valid if the stair lift is installed by an authorized Bruno dealer.

Do we recommend Bruno Independent Living?

We recommend Bruno Independent Living stair lifts. They have a good selection of both indoor and outdoor stair lifts. The safety features and rechargeable batteries are a plus. Bruno has a long history of reliability, and you can rest assured going with them for your stair lift is a great decision.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I'll be 88 next year. I have a hard time climbing up and down the stairs and my kids didn't want me to fall down in the stairs. I also wanted a walk-in bathtub downstairs but nobody wanted to open the wall into the third car garage to extend the shower or walk-in tub in there. They didn't want to disturb the electrical wiring behind that wall in my bathroom downstairs, so my son went into searching Google and find a stairlift. I know my girlfriend in San Diego has one when she retired and she's happy with it.

I got the straight one, up and down, with a curve in the bottom stair. The installer who came out was a nice and respectful guy. He showed me how to use it, told me about changing of the batteries and to oil once a year. I wrote that down, but he talked so fast. Maybe because he had another installation to go to. But my son told Dan from sales that I'm still available to climb up three steps. So we can wait until I cannot walk up in that three steps to go up in the level where the stairlift is before making any adjustments.

Other than that, my stairlift fits my stairs well. Initially, I was thinking that they could change the stair handle to the other side because the lift is in the right side. But that's the only one with the handle in the rail where you go up and down to hold. But Bruno's rep said he could extend it out there than the stairwell and that was what he did. There is still a few space to walk up and down for anybody, so it works.

When I use my stairlift up and down, there is a green light in the top where they installed under the step upstairs that was on all the time. But last week, I noticed that there was a red light blinking in that green light. So I told my son and he said it might be the battery. He said to call up Dan, so I did that today but he was out of the office. He also gave me the office number, but it was unavailable. It told me I could call later. But Dan said he would call me and try to send me a repair guy to come over. So that's what I'm waiting for. Now, my stairlift stopped running up and down and doesn't move anymore. But I tried to twist back and forth, because you can twist it back and forth, and that's how I go upstairs. Besides that, my stairlift is a good one. It helps me now because I can carry my laundry basket in there too.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I was looking online at all the different brands and gave some of the dealers a call. Bruno called me back and was most efficient about taking care of me. The sales rep was very knowledgeable and he wasn't pushy. He explained what they could do, how much it would cost, what they would probably need to do in order to put the stairlift in, what they would need to remove, what I might need to add as well as how long it would approximately take to get the chair and get it installed.

A gentleman came on time as scheduled for the installation. He explained what he was going to need to do and did it with minimal noise and dirt. When he was finished, he took me through the operation of the chair and showed me the lights and whatnot that I needed to be aware of and that needed to be connected as well as what to do if something went wrong. I have the Elan and we’re quite happy with its compactness. I'm thinking about possibly having Mobility come out and put another one in for my other stairwell.

With having the stairlift, I like the comfort of being able to get up, and my husband and I both being able to get up and down without a struggle. He feels a little uncomfortable because he's all about safety and sturdiness and he's old. The arms feel flimsy to him. He's always not sure that they're quite gonna support him when he goes to stand up, but they have. It’s not a problem. Also, he's very tall, so he has a little bit of trouble with his knees when he comes up, but there's still room for him to do that.

The switch that's on the right-hand side of the chair that makes the chair go up or down is right at the end of the arm. And depending on how you stand up and use it, you can flip the switch to where it can move on you. I have not seen it. I have not had that problem, but because he's tall and has long arms and he has large hands, sometimes when he scoots himself to the edge to stand up, he will activate that switch. Now, if he's locked in at the top, before he tries to get out at the top, that's not an issue. It's when he's at the bottom and he goes to stand up or sit down, then the chair might move up a little bit on him.

Original review: April 3, 2020

My wife and I can still go up and down the stairs pretty good, but we live in a two-storey house and our cars are parked in a garage. We needed something to help bring up bird food, dog food and groceries. It’s getting a little tiresome walking up and down these stairs so many times a day. So, we got the stairlift mainly for that. I did a little research on all stairlifts. I checked about five or six different companies and for the price and the quality, hands down you have to go with the Bruno. Also, theirs seemed more heavy duty.

As far as the quality and everything, those guys up in Erie came down and did a nice job, were in and out of here in good time. I called them a couple of times. The rep said if we had any questions, give him a call. I called and he would get back to me. So, I'm well-satisfied with the equipment and the service. We use the stairlift occasionally. Some days you get up, your knees are a little sore. But I wish it was a little faster and I don’t know if they can speed that up, put a different gear in there or what. It takes about 30 seconds for the thing to get down the stairs. I like to be able to do it in 15. That’s still plenty of time considering I can go down the stairs in 5 when I walk down.

I'm a fussy guy. I took the stairlift apart. I moved it so I got more space. I got a tight stairway. I checked the clearance so I got it over about an inch and a half or two inches more and that inch and a half made all the difference at the bottom because when mine was installed, it was not on the hinged side. It was on the other side. So, when you get up in the stairs, it locks in a 45-degree position but I can open it up in 360 also. The 45 is good enough to get through that door but when you get downstairs, it’s nice having that extra couple of inches down there so your knees are starting to hit the wall. Also, I raised up the handrail, my knees are hitting it on the way down. So, I moved the handrail up about three inches. I got it to where to I’m tickled to death. You couldn’t shut the door originally without turning the seat back around sideways. So, I lowered it down a little bit there too, so I can shut the door, and it’s great.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I needed some help getting up and down our stairs. I was sitting in the living room one day and watched the Acorn chairlift. I called them. Then, I got to thinking it's in Cole's over in Melbourne. We live in Red Oak, and it's about 25 miles from here. I’ve seen Bruno's truck in town a lot. We’re handicapped. When I called Bruno, they said they have chairlifts. So, we were tickled because we’d get it locally. The installation was perfect. I couldn’t ask for it to have went smoother. The installer had to take the banister off. He was so nice. We got a lot of knick-knacks around our house, but he was so ­­very careful when he came in. After he had the board put together, he glided himself through the house and didn’t touch a thing.

I was happy that we finally put it in because it was getting to be such a struggle for me to come up the stairs, and I like to have access to our basement. Our house is 40 years old. We built it, and then we’ve lived in it ever since. We finished off part of the basement. I enjoy the basement. There’s way too much stuff stored than most people, but that’s what we put the basement there for. This way, we can continue to use it. I like to have access to our utilities because the water, our gas, and electricity come in there. I like to have access so if something goes wrong, I can go down and check on it. The stairlift is a good, safe thing. We should have had it a few years back.

Our Bruno stairlift is very adequate. It’s a learning process for me. When you get old, you don't pick up things quite as fast as younger people do. And something was beeping constantly. I also made the mistake of turning the switch off. Kelly came yesterday and he explained it all to me again. I was just down the basement and it’s still beeping. I didn’t think it's supposed to do that. I thought it would have five beeps, then it would go ahead and continue to charge the battery. And then, when it got charged, it would quit but it’s still beeping, so I misunderstood him about something.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

We live in a split-level home. We have seven steps one way and eight the other up to the bedroom and down to the den and the washroom, etc. We’ve got two bathrooms upstairs, we’ve got one bathroom downstairs, but we have no bathroom on the main level. We don’t have a bedroom on the main level. I’m 84 and my husband is 88. When something happens to us, it makes it hard getting to the bathroom. He broke his bone in his ankle and he was wearing a boot. And then he took cellulitis in his leg after they took the boot off and he couldn’t get up and down the stairs good.

I did a dumb thing before Christmas. I hurried to turn the TV off and I stepped on the corner of my sweeper and it just swept me right up under the dining room table on my back and my rear end. I thought I’d broke a bone but I laid there for about 15 minutes and talked to my cousin out-of-state. I was waiting to see if I was hurt and I didn’t even tell her what happened. My husband tried to help me up and I said, “Wait. Let me start moving around to see what’s wrong.” Nothing was broken. I could move and I felt fine. But the next day, my rear end was so sore. I couldn’t even move.

From then on until after Christmas, I could hardly walk. Our children decided we’d build a room in the garage and I didn’t want that right away. So, we looked into Bruno stairlift and we thought now is the time to get it even though we were getting better. We didn’t really need it then but you never know when you will. And to make them happy, we went ahead and got it. Their reps were wonderful. They didn’t push this on us at all. We called them and had someone come out and tell us about it. The rep was very nice. I really liked him. When we were ready for it, they got it in within two days. I was impressed with that and I would highly recommend them. My husband uses it more. When we carry laundry upstairs, either we put it on the lift and send it up or we sat down and carry it up. Most of the time, though, we lay it on it and send it up. A lot of my things are downstairs that I used to carry up so I’m using it for everything. Overall, I’m satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

My dad needed a stairlift. He has congestive heart failure and bad knees. He lives in a two-storey house with a basement, so we purchased one to go upstairs to the bedroom. And then a month later, we purchased a second one so he could go down to the basement to his little workshop. I contacted Home Health Care Products that are fairly local to us. Bruno is a very reputable place, and I contacted them to come and see if we could put a stairlift in my dad's house. The guy came out the same day. He gave me a nice brochure about the Bruno, and we saw it was made in USA. It was a no brainer. The installation was quick. They came out within a couple of days and were only there less than an hour to put it in.

The stairlift has been doing very well. My dad likes it so much. He likes how it didn't require a lot of modifications, that there are only a few target points that it bolts to the tread stairs. He was happy that it didn't have to bolt to the wall or anything of that nature. If he would end up moving, that could just come right off and it will not make a big mess with anything. He likes how it contacts with the stair treads for its mounting surface, and how it plugged in easily. He also likes how it works off of the battery, how it charges it, and having the remotes work.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

We got the idea for the stairlift out of one of the catalogs. I called that manufacturer and spoke to them. They had several people call us back and talk with us. 101 Mobility was one of the people who called back. I never buy anything like that unless I test one out. 101 Mobility had several manufacturers on their floor to test and the Bruno one was the one that I liked the best. They did not have a test model of the one that I had seen in the catalog. I tested that one out and we figured that it would do the job and bought it on the spot. They also had it in stock.

It was a very enjoyable experience. We bought it on a Friday and they installed it the next Thursday. The fellow said he'd be here at 10:00 and he was here at 10:00. It took him a little time for the installation. I asked him a lot of questions about how the stairlift was made. I liked the idea of how the rack and pinion were moving. The other thing that I liked was the fact that it is always being charged. I don't have to worry about running the batteries out. We also ordered the seat that swivels automatically. The one that they had in stock apparently did not match the unit itself that they brought down. After trying it out and finding out that it didn't work properly, the guy put the manual one on and he's coming back out on Wednesday of next week to put the proper one on so that we will have the automatic swivel on it also.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I have two stairlifts from the same provider. One goes downstairs, and one goes up a couple stairs into my kitchen, because I can't get up the stairs. And that turns it into a one-level house. I wish the depth of the seat was longer. I have a slippery material, and sometimes I feel like I'm gonna slip forward right out of the chair. But as far as the chair itself, it's sturdy and well put together. I'm happy with it. Also, the installers were great. The crew was so nice and they were also very careful. I had trouble a while ago with the first one that they put in, and they worked and worked until they figured out what the problem was and fixed it. And they have always been just nothing but lovely to work with.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Bruno was the closest provider to me. My parents had their stairlift in their house in Columbus, Georgia. The rep I spoke with was pretty good. He was really nice and knowledgeable. I'm happy with the product and the quality is fine. But I wasn't happy about the installation. It was a little bit off. When the guy was putting the screws in, he should have drilled it before putting the screws in because he split two or three of my step boards, which were like new construction. The guy didn't really notice how far he went to the front so the screws were sticking out. And I hate that the fact that when the guy noticed there were cracks, he didn't even tell me. Walking upstairs, you can see the screws. I was going to get some shorter screws to put in to take care of that problem.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

The Bruno stairlift is a lifesaver. The sales rep walked me through the stairlift. We rode up and down and the rep did a fantastic job. The stairlift is well installed and it’s solid as a rock. I’m 92 years old and it is a lot of help to me. I have no fear. I can just get in and go run up now. Then when I get up there, I can swing the seat around and come right off on the floor. I’m able to walk there and do what I have to do in my computer room. I've been enjoying it so much.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Company Information