4.8/5 (207 ratings)

About Bruno Independent Living Aids

Bruno is a third-generation, family-owned-and-operated company committed to designing and manufacturing the highest-quality stairlifts and accessibility products to help people with mobility challenges retain their independence. Made-in-USA Bruno stairlifts are manufactured exclusively in Wisconsin, United States - and proudly installed by local experts who live in, support and serve their local communities.

Pros

• High weight capacity
  • Good warranty
  • Affordable option available

Cons

• Only available through dealers

Bottom Line

Bruno Independent Living has a good range of stair lifts, with important safety features and some stylish options. Though the curved models have fewer aesthetic options, they are still compatible with most staircases.

Top Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

So far, so good. It is safe, and there’s no problem learning how to use it. I just push the button and ride. I feel much better in my home with the Bruno stairlift. I will highly ...

Bruno stair lift models

Bruno Independent Living manufactures all their stair lifts in the USA. For those wondering how to install a Bruno stair lift, you don’t need to worry about having technical expertise — only official dealers and authorized technicians can and should install a Bruno stair lift. Bruno stair lift batteries are rechargeable, so the stair lifts can run even during a power outage.

Bruno indoor stair lifts

• Elan Stair Lift (300 lbs capacity): The Elan Stair Lift, also known as the SRE 3000, is Bruno’s most popular stair lift model. One great feature of the Elan is that it can be continually charged, not just at the top or the bottom of the railing like some models from other companies. You can also flip the seat up, so it’s out of the way and doesn’t obstruct the stairs. Installed safety sensors will stop the stair lift in the case of an obstruction on the stairs. The Elan is battery-powered, so it functions during a power outage.
  • Elite Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Stair Lift is a step up from the Elan model. While the Elan is perfectly functional and works well, the Elite can be customized to fit with your home’s decor. You can choose from various options for the seat upholstery and the power chair railing. The Elite model also has a higher weight capacity, at 400 lbs. Like the Elan, it can charge all along the strip, not just at the top and bottom of the landing. It also can fold up so it’s out of the way for people who don’t need to use it. With the Elite, you can also opt for a larger footrest or larger seat. Power swiveling is another option.
  • Elite Curved Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Curved Stair Lift is similar to the original Elite Stair Lift but made for curved stairs. It is also chargeable from anywhere on the stairs, has a safety feature to come to a stop if it senses an obstruction, has a power swivel option and can fold up and out of the way if needed. Unlike the other units, you can remove the lift from the stairs when it’s not in use; however, there is no option to have a painted rail or other custom options.

Bruno outdoor stair lifts

• Elite Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Outdoor Elite has been made to withstand even the most extreme conditions, ranging from 0 degrees to 125 degrees Fahrenheit. Weatherproof features include the use of durable paint on all steel surfaces as well as a complimentary sun, snow and water-resistant cover. The Outdoor Elite can flip up out of the way of the stairs and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction blocking its path. You can think of the Elite Outdoor Stair Lift as a twin to the indoor Elite Stair Lift, just with features designed to make it compatible for the outdoors.
  • Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): Like the indoor Curved Stair Lift, the Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift is custom made for outdoor landscapes that don’t have straightforward stairwells. The curved Elite outdoor model has a power swivel and weatherproof paint. It can fold up and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction. It also is resistant to a wide range of temperatures and comes with a cover.
ModelWeight capacityBest feature
Elan Stair Lift300 lbsLow price
Elite Stair Lift400 lbsStylish upholstery and rail options
Elite Curved Stair Lift400 lbsWorks with almost any type of curved staircase
Elite Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsWeather-resistant paint and cover
Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsCustomizable to wide range of outdoor arrangements

Bruno stair lift cost

Bruno Independent Living doesn’t advertise prices on its website. You’ll have to reach out to them directly to obtain a quote. Generally, stair lifts in the United States can cost between $2,000 and $10,000. A straight stair lift will cost less, and a curved stair lift will cost more. The Bruno Elite stair lift price is higher than that of the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most basic model. If you’re looking for a bargain, it’s best to check out the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most popular purchase. Financing is available for Bruno stair lifts.

Bruno stair lifts also come with a warranty. Indoor straight stairlifts have a lifetime warranty on the major components, like the gearbox, motor, drivetrain and rail. The major components on outdoor and curved stair lifts have a 5-year warranty. All other components on every stair lift have a 2-year warranty. There is also a 30-day labor coverage after installation in the case of a manufacturing defect. These warranties are only valid if the stair lift is installed by an authorized Bruno dealer.

Do we recommend Bruno Independent Living?

We recommend Bruno Independent Living stair lifts. They have a good selection of both indoor and outdoor stair lifts. The safety features and rechargeable batteries are a plus. Bruno has a long history of reliability, and you can rest assured going with them for your stair lift is a great decision.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

Original review: April 30, 2022

I had a Bruno stairlift for 16 years, and it was fine. I just got a new one. I like them. The rep I just dealt with was professional. I went back and forth between the salesperson and the technician who installed it, so I wasn't sure which person I was gonna talk to the next time I talk to them. The tech was very amiable. We had a problem originally, and he came back and fixed it. So, I'm completely happy with it now. I got the straight indoor stairlift. I have a wide stairwell so it leaves plenty of room for people to go up and down.

I preferred some of the features on the old one as opposed to the new one. The new one is the Elan. The older model had a padded armrest, and the new one doesn't. On the new one, the arms are bowed out farther, which wasn't necessary. Also, I don't care for the new up and down switch on the arm. It looks like a bird's tail fin sticking out there. It looks like it would be easy for someone to catch and break off. The old rocker switch was just fine. I enjoyed that one.

I would recommend Bruno to a friend because the quality is high. However, they have a bad design in the rail because when it was first installed and went up and down, you expect it to be smooth and quiet and it sounded like someone banging on a tin can with a metal spoon. It rattled all the way up and down. It was driving me nuts. I talked to the installer, and he said, "Well, they have a crimping tool to address that." It was 30 days out on order, but he did get it within two weeks of his original installation. He brought it and worked on it with that tool and it quieted it. If it was designed correctly, it wouldn't make that noise the first time that they went up and down. So, I was kind of disappointed in that but it's working okay and it's quiet now, so the problem was solved.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2022

I called Bruno and gave the rep some information about what I wanted. Within half an hour, this guy from Independence called me, who was right here. I live in West Salem. Independence is less than a half hour away. And he said, “Yeah, Bruno, we are the installer. If you wanted me to, I could come over this morning and figure out and give you an estimate.” I said, “Sure. Come on over.” I knew right away this is who I wanted. He was so straightforward. It was a deal, and it’s battery operated. It has a little trickle charger. I didn't have to do anything with my electricity. I had three stairlifts put in, and he said, “And we’d probably haven't done in half a day or at least within the day, definitely.” And he showed me everything and there was only one permit charge, not for each stair lift. That was it. And I said I’d go with it.

It wasn't even two weeks, they were here and put the stairlifts in less than half a day, did a wonderful job, and showed me exactly how to operate them. One didn't work quite right and the guy came out and fixed it. They forgot to change the speed on it. But they were fabulous. I love them. I should have done it a long time ago. It's a very serviceable thing. I love the way it folds up. It's grand. I use my home now. I went up and down the stairs before, but my knees were killing me. Now, I don't even think about when I want to go downstairs and do something. And it gives me a better access to my patio and the outdoors below. It has impacted my life favorably. One of my neighbors is having one in the coast and one up at their house put in, and I told him, “You gotta contact Bruno. Don't you dare go with Acorn." He's in the process of talking to Bruno. And my other friends I've showed it to were all very impressed.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I called Bruno and asked for them to come for an estimate. The rep asked a bit about what we had, because there's a bigger price differential if you have curved stairs versus not. And we don't have curved, so that wasn't an issue. He came and showed me their product, and gave me an estimate. He showed us the literature and talked about it. I asked him some questions about the battery, and how the stairlift works. He told us that he wouldn't call us back, that he is not a high-pressure salesperson, that if we chose to go with it, he would wait for our call. We talked it over. In a day or two later, we decided to go ahead with it. He gave us an estimate, and that estimate was what it was. So, it was good.

The tech did well. But I thought he would show us how to use the stairlift, like have my mother sit on it. My mom said he offered, but she declined. The tech only offered after I asked him to show how it works. He showed me without her in it. So, we worked through it afterwards and everything went well. The only issue we are having and we couldn't figure it out is why every once in a while, when my mother starts to go up the steps, the stairlift seems sluggish. She puts the arms down, sits in it, presses the lever but it doesn't go. So she jiggles the arms and tries it again, then it goes. If it gets to be a big of a hassle, I might call Bruno to ask them to come and see why. Also, my mom is short. The tech said the stairlift is at the standard level that he hasn't had anyone needed and they adjusted it differently. I thought we would need to call him back to have him lower it. But my mom just realized she wasn't sitting far enough back into the seat. Once she did that, it worked out well.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

Bruno has really good reviews. There was another brand but there were issues about parts getting there on time and the difference between it being a US branded product versus an overseas product. There were also some of the concerns with customer service and not getting responses timely or at all. There was also a family friend who gave some insight. They worked for a lift company and knew of the Bruno brand. They said that that was definitely worth the cost in the sense that you get the customer service, the lifetime warranty, and that it's a good brand.

We had an incident with our installation where we had to get another part sent out. The day we got it installed, the seat was going over the gearbox that folds the rail, and somehow, it chewed it up and went over it to where the arm rail wouldn't fold up or down anymore, and the chair was getting stuck. The guys came out to look at it and ordered the parts. It took a couple of weeks, which wasn't bad because for our order, we waited a good couple of months. Now, it's been working fine since we got it replaced. They turned off the rail from folding then made the chair usable as if it was a straight rail. That had an issue where the guy stopped working then a guy came out. The customer service has been great. They responded.

Other than the waiting for the original products to be delivered and installed then the ordering of this part, we haven't had any other issue. We've been nothing but pleased. We have three kids, ages 3 to 18, and they're all using it. It's kind of the attraction and it's holding up well. The cost with Bruno was higher but we knew we were going to need to invest. We needed to buy three sets 'cause that's how many stairs there were, and the Bruno stairlifts are decently quick. It's a long set of stairs and it goes through it in a minute or less.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I have a Curb-Sider from Bruno and this is my second one. The other one was older while this one is updated and takes up less room inside my van. During my purchase, the salesperson at the DME Services store wasn't very knowledgeable. He was saying that they had four connections but I knew that there was a bar underneath and it has a U shape because they were just updating mine and I knew how it hooked it up. It was a little bit different from the one that I had before and it makes it a little bit more difficult for me now. I used to hook it up sitting on the curb and on the one closest to me on that side. And now, I have to do it on the other side, so I can't sit. I have a hard time looking down because then I get vertigo. So, I'm still struggling with it.

I tried it the installer’s way then I tried it my way. And my way getting it in was fine. But getting it out, I had a little bit difficulty trying to do my way. So I went back to the way the installer said and it was fine. It's just going to be harder for me to unhook it off and on because I have nowhere to sit to unhook it off and on. One of the things that I did on my old one was, I took a red marker tape that you use for scrapbooks so that it marked how far the bar went in. So, I knew when I put the thing in and that that was where I put the pin in so that it lined up correctly. And it makes it easier for me to know it was in the right place without doing it. So if there's a way to do that with this new one, that would be great. I just have to do it after the fact and I'm not sure if it's possible for Bruno to do that because I don't know if it would be different on different scooters. It would also be nice if they'd have a plug to charge the scooter in the back. Other than that, I love Bruno.

Original review: June 16, 2022

The Bruno stairlift seemed like the best deal. My wife has ALS and the stairlift made it easy for her to get up and down the stairs. We got three of the stairlifts because we have a split entry. We have one that comes down off the split down in the basement, one that comes from upstairs into the foyer, and one that covers about three steps going into the garage. They're fine.

Original review: June 15, 2022

The dealer was extremely friendly, very knowledgeable and treated us very well. They came out, put it in, got it taken care of real well and cleaned up. Installation was under four hours and it was excellent. The stairlift is also excellent value for what it is and what it does. I can go down to the basement, which I haven’t been able to do for some time now, especially during storms.

Original review: June 5, 2022

The installation of our Bruno stairlift was great and I enjoy it. We're going to have to make a modification at the bottom of the steps, but it's gonna take a while to do that. Right now, the chair at the bottom of the steps has very little room to move when I get down there. If we take this wall off, we'd have to shorten that one. They talked about that one long piece on the steps. They said they can do that. I love the stairlift. I didn't need it so much for going down. But coming up, I'm so weak and I have a really bad shoulder from a car accident years ago and going up the steps was very difficult.

Original review: June 4, 2022

All is well with the stairlift. The only thing I want to do is call them and see if we can speed it up a little bit.

Original review: June 2, 2022

My wife can't make the stairs. So in order for her to come home, they had put her in a stair glide. The fella that put it in was a nice, young man. He came from Easton, Connecticut, and I used to live over near there. So we talked a little about that. But it was a very, very nice job, and very professional-looking. I’m very satisfied. I'm also using the chair because I’m a semi invalid myself. It's been a help if I go up and down the stairs myself. Everything is working good.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Company Information