It's that easy Get a Free Quote
4.88/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Bruno is a third-generation family business committed to designing and manufacturing high-quality stairlifts and other products to help people with mobility challenges retain their independence. Bruno stairlifts are manufactured exclusively in Wisconsin, United States.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

566 Bruno Independent Living Aids Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I’m handicapped and I used to have a stairlift that was made by another company, but they’re out of business. This time, I went with 101 Mobility which is the closest provider and they carry Bruno. The salesman knew what he was talking about. I got a straight stairlift and the installers put everything in one day and they got rid of the old stairlift. They did a good job. They cleaned up after themselves and everything was installed right, and it looks good. It’s a little tight but it fits. So far, it seems nice and reliable. I can get up and down the steps easier and I don’t have to worry about the power going out. My Bruno stairlift is worth the money.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I moved back to Ottawa and asked around for companies that make stairlifts since I'm handicapped. People recommended Bruno so I went with them. Their rep came to do measurements the installers were excellent, on time and clean. The stairlift was installed and it worked. I use it more than once daily and I'm very pleased that I own three of them. They're functional and that's all I want. I would recommend Bruno to a friend.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I had back surgery and fell quite a few times and broke my back. It won't heal correctly because of all the heavy lifting and up and down the stairs 'cause our laundry is downstairs. I needed something to help me. I asked our family contractor that we usually use if he could put in a stairlift for me. He said that it wasn't his specialty, but he was aware of other people that had gotten stairlifts. And so, he went back to those people and asked them for the phone number of who they had used.

When Bruno's sales rep came out, he gave us an estimate and answered all the questions I had. He set everything up for the installer to come out and put it in for us. And the guy who put the stairlift in was very helpful and quick. He did it all on his own and cleaned up his mess. However, there are times when we're using the remote, the stairlift would stop halfway through going up or down the stairs. So, I just want them to come out and and see what the problem is. But other than that, the stairlift has been great because I can now run up and down the stairs as many times as I need to. And I don't have to lift anything heavy when doing so. I would highly recommend them. In fact, I have already recommended Bruno to friends and relatives.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Bruno stairlift was recommended to me and we got it for disability. During our visit, the sales rep suggested a couple of different things, and that worked out fine. The reps measured when they were here, and then they re-measured when they got here with the equipment. The installation team did very well and the quality of the stairlift seems to be fine too.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Bruno has an excellent quality stairlift and they have the best financing I could get. The sales reps who came out and measured things up showed me the different variations, as well as the cost of the stairlift. They were fast and efficient and explained everything well. When the installers came out, they explained what they were gonna do. They put the straight stairlift in and then showed me how the chair turns around so I would get in on the top of the steps and then explained to me how it beeps until you put it back in the right position or when there's an obstruction.

They also showed us how to grease it. When they were done, they cleaned up before they left. The stairlift fits well in my stairwell and has prevented me from falling down the stairs, which I had done several times. Also, I no longer have to walk up and down the stairs. I can take the stairlift and safely move up and down. I’ve recommended Bruno to other people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had to get my dad out of assisted living, so I decided to purchase a stairlift. I looked on the internet and I saw a stairlift dealer that had been in business for a while. Bruno stairlifts was what they sold, so that was what I bought from them and the price was right. That was a great company to work with. During the sales visit, the owner of the company came out and one of his assistants measured and showed me all the stuff. The assistant also told me about the installation of the stairlift and the scheduled date for it, which fit in with my schedule well because I was in a hurry and had to get the installation done in less than a month.

The installation experience was good and the installer did a hell of a job. After installing the stairlift, this young guy ran me through how it works and what to look for if it doesn’t work and when we have trouble with it. We had a straight, indoor stairlift installed and it's great how well it fits into our stairwell. I have a bunch of steps going in and out of the front door so that wasn’t an option. Our stairlift is in the basement, near the basement stairs, and I take my dad out through the garage. The laundry is downstairs in the basement, so I have to use the stairs there quite a bit, but the stairlift fits in there nicely and tightly and I can fold everything up and still get by and carry stuff up and down the steps. Also, our stairlift has a remote and I can pull it upstairs or from upstairs without having to go down or up to do that. That saves me time and it's what I like most about our stairlift.

When my dad first used the stairlift, he wasn’t sure what to do with it, but he liked it as soon as he realized that he didn’t have to tackle a bunch of stairs. I never have him by himself on the stairs since he doesn’t have good balance so I’m scared of him falling if he doesn’t have some assistance. But as much as I can, I let him try to use the stairlift by himself. I would definitely recommend Bruno. I had a totally good experience and I received a good, little unit from them.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

My parents are slowing down quite a bit. They’re both 93 and back in June, my father developed an acute kidney failure but he has bounced back well. The sales rep from Bruno was very good and helpful. We got two straight stairlifts since there’s a landing aisle and it fits very well. The installation team took the time to answer questions and showed us how it works. It was a very good interaction. Quality-wise, the stairlift is good. The foot plate has a covering on the bottom and it’s a little loose but maybe it’s supposed to be that way. Otherwise, everything is working okay. My parents like their independence and it’s good. The stairlift is worth getting and it has good value. Bruno is worth looking into and I gave some of the brochures to mom and dad’s pastor because she was asking about something like that for the church.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My mother can't go up and down the stairs. My husband researched Bruno Stairlifts and thought that it has better quality for the price so we went with it. Their reps were very nice, their van came when they were supposed to and everything went well. We had them install the stairlift that goes right up the stairs and the chair turns at the top so we can get off. It fits very good into our stairwell. The installation team did a great job. They were very polite and cleaned up their mess. So far, it works very good and the quality is very nice. I just wish it was cheaper. But, it was reasonable. Having the Bruno stairlift makes life a lot easier. I can take my mother off and give her a shower until we can get the bathroom built downstairs. We really enjoy it and I would recommend it.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I'm having trouble going up and down the stairs and decided to go with Bruno. They were the first, only and the best, and I didn't check for any other provider. The company is called Access here which is their local store. We spent a lot of time there then their sales reps came over here and talked to us. They measured and we talked about quilting. All kinds of good things happened with them and their level of customer service was very good. When we went over to the company to see the company and the products, they showed them to us and we tested them.

They sat and explained all about how they work. They talked about the company itself which is Access, and how it was a family company. They gave us the prices and we checked all that stuff. We very happy with that. Their installation team came and did a wonderful job. They put the stairlift in very easily and quickly. They didn't get in the way. The quality of the stairlift has been very good so far and it all runs well. If someone was to ask us about Bruno, we would tell them to go shop at Access.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I'm very happy with our experience with Bruno Independent. My husband was having problems with the stairs and a friend referred me to them. There are other ones out there, but we were told they were the best. A gentleman then came out to measure and he was very nice. We got an inside unit and we had to get two separate chairs because they couldn't do a curved as my door would have been in the way. Then, the installers who came and installed the stairlift were great too. I even called back to compliment them.

With the stairlift, my husband can now get down the stairs and we can go to his doctor's appointments. We would not have been able to do that without it. The unit is sturdy and it seems to be very good. We've also had a couple of power failures since we've had it and its battery has kicked in, so we haven't had problems with that. I would recommend it to a friend.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My wife has a movement disorder. We were getting grab bars installed in our house and I asked the fellow doing it about other kinds of mobility assistance. We were thinking initially of a vertical platform lift for our back porch to raise and lower a wheelchair. I asked his opinion of whether our stairways were too narrow for a chairlift and he said that it would be possible. They also said that they had a previously used unit for part of the installation and it would save us a little money. My wife and I liked Kohll's from Omaha for the work that they had done installing grab bars so we decided that we couldn't do any better than their recommendation, so we went with Bruno. The installer measured the stairway and we got both the vertical platform lift and the stairlift.

Bruno's accounting department was efficient and the sales reps were really great and objective. They provided everything, returned email and phone messages and sent an expert out to install the equipment. The installation team was quiet, efficient and friendly. For the vertical platform lift, they had to bring in a carpenter and modify our back porch, so that they could attach it. They also did a very nice job of blending the old parts of the porch with new wood. They got everything done in one day and things worked out well.

So far, the lifts work well. We don't have long stairways but we have two chairs on different rails to make things work and they work fine. The stairlift hasn't stalled nor fallen off the wall. The logic of the location of the chair when we're getting in and out makes sense. The speed seems about right and the chair's reasonably comfortable. Also,the stairlift makes it possible for my wife to use a special shower downstairs and to get to a part of the house that she couldn't reach previously without a lot of difficulty. However, there are four remote devices and one of them seems to have a little of a bit of a bug in it, when the other three works fine. Other than that, I liked everything about Bruno.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I'm 82 years old and have a hard time walking. I have a straight stairlift from Bruno. The installation was fine, although the installers had to come back since there was a couple of things that didn't work out. They had to change something. The stairlift is nice to have because I'm up and down the stairs a lot of times. I have a lot of laundries and the stairlift helps me get the laundry downstairs. The quality of the stairlift is good. I think, however, that it would be hard for a big person to have the stairlift and do anything with it. Other than that, thank God for technology.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Beverly has been in the hospital and she tires out and has shortness of breath when climbing the stairs, so we bought a stairlift. We got a straight stairlift from Bruno Independent Living Aids. I've done business with them before and the interactions that I've had with their salespeople have been very good. Beverly's brother has a curved unit and several of my clients have stairlifts too. The installation of our stairlift was good. The installers had Beverly go up and come back down, and they also showed her how to turn the chair. We're very pleased with our experience with Bruno and we have already recommended them. The stairlift that we got from them will make a difference as we age. It is very good and I let people try it out.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

My wife and I are both elderly. She needed some help on the four or five stairs that we had. At St. Joseph's Rehab where she was, the physio man recommended two stairlift brands and Bruno was the one closest to our house. So, we decided to try Bruno. We purchased a small, straight stair lift that went from our main floor up to our bedroom. The installers were both very professional. Since the installation, the stairlift has let my wife go downstairs and manage to get out the door. It has helped a lot. I recommend this company.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I’m 87 years old and I have a little trouble going up and down the steps. The VA said they would put me on a chairlift and they did that. The reps of Bruno Independent Living Aids came out here and did some measurements, and I had a good interaction with them. Then the same people came out here and installed the stairlift. They were good and it took them three hours to put it in. I'm very well satisfied with it. We also have one at the church from the same company. Get Bruno stairlift if you can and get it for free if you can.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

We purchased a stairlift for my disabled son and went with one from Bruno because of their amazing salesperson. He came when he said he was going to then he showed us some options. We told him what we needed it for, what we needed it to do, and he told us which one was our best bet. He had a really good knowledge of the product. We got a straight indoor stairlift and it fits our stairwell good. The installation team that put it in was really amazing too. They were very friendly, super-knowledgeable, quick and reliable. The stairlift has given my son access to an area of the house he hasn’t been before. And so far, we have found the product to be of good quality. I would recommend Bruno. I've told other moms in the group I’m in on Facebook that we got a Bruno stairlift and it’s amazing.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

We needed a stairlift for mobility. I know the dealer and he introduced me to Bruno and it’s a good product. My interaction with the installers was excellent and they cleaned up after. I had a straight stairlift installed inside the house. It fits well with the stairwell and it works smoothly. We had Savaria before and we were constantly having problems with the micro switches. Bruno seems to have lesser switches and more durable. I have already recommended Bruno and I would let my friends see it.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I like the straight stairlift from Bruno. It’s very good. It has two remotes, if I’m downstairs, I can bring it down and if I’m upstairs, I can bring it up. I purchased it because I had hip and knee replacement. The salesperson of Bruno that came out to look at the house was very informative. However, the installation didn’t go too well. They put in the wrong battery. So when we lost power, it blew the battery and they had to come out and replace it. I wish that the foot stand was a little sturdier too. It was also a little pricey, but it’s good and safe. Not to mention, it’s also better than the other ones I looked into. In fact, I have another house in Shelby Township and I’m thinking of getting one from the basement to the kitchen as well.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have very short breaths. And I didn't wanna fall down because of that, so my medical condition demanded a stairlift. There are too many companies that do outside stairlifts, but I chose Bruno Independent Living out of all of them. Their salesperson spent more time with me and was more thorough. He was down-to-earth and more concerned on the way it was put in to suit my needs, and the other fellow from a different company just wanted to put one in, anywhere.

The installation took a little longer than I expected, but there were no complications. The installers got here a little late, and it was done that evening. Then they gave me a quick how-to-use and they told me to call them at any time, which I did later to verify a few things that I was concerned about. I asked them all the questions that I needed to know how to operate it and now I was satisfied. With the Bruno stairlift, I can get out more and it’s mentally helping me. I have two more stairlifts to put in, which I’m gonna do down the road, and I’m gonna choose Bruno.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I had been in the hospital and I couldn't walk anymore and go up the stairs. They wanted me to go to the home but I didn't want to so we put in the stairlift so I could get upstairs to bed and to the bathroom. My daughter works as a nurse in an old-age home and she deals a lot with Motion chair. Bruno puts it in and they do lots of work at the home so that's who she wanted to go with.

My son-in-law who is a handy fella was here when the installers put the stairlift in and he thought they had done a pretty good job. But it was gonna cost $10,000 instead of $3,000 to go around the corner so we didn't do that. We got the straight stairlift and it goes from the bottom of my step stairs to the landing so I have a couple of steps to get to the next floor but that's working out pretty well. I can get to the top story now which I couldn't before. I also have a vertical ear infection that I get a little bit dizzy at times but I haven't had any problem on the lift. With something new, there are always a few little glitches but we’re managing very well right at the present time so I'm well satisfied with it so far.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I have problems with my legs and feet and it was decided that I should have a Bruno here for safety measures to keep me from falling. I fell a couple of times and that takes me off of the steps to come back and forth to my garage and shower. The salesman had a few words with my wife about the longevity of the machine, the guarantee that’s on it and the things that you can do. Then, they moved about and showed us how to operate them. They were all business while they were here. The installation went smoothly and it was efficient to go up and down taking a lot of load off my feet. It has an automatic control on it that you can kinda run it without being on it to get it down and up. It’s a nice machine.

It’s worthwhile owning the stairlifts from Bruno. It helps a lot especially to anyone that’s in my condition. I have to struggle to get up the stairs if I don’t have something like that. With Bruno, all I’ve got to do is get on, sit down and push my arms up and down, hit the button and go. My house is a split level and it only covers six steps which was the one we got. I wish it would have covered the other six. We’ll order in to do both sets of steps which would have been 12 instead of six. I’m satisfied and I would recommend it.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

My husband, Floyd, and my son, Chad, are both disabled. I happened to see Bruno and they were wonderful. After seeing that they are local, I felt comfortable. I needed somebody in Latrobe and the fact that their product is made in the United States impressed me. It was also important to me to have a good guarantee. The salesman's presentation was fine. It made me decide to go with the Bruno stairlift. The salesman was also the guy who put the stairlift in and he did an excellent job. Then he did a demonstration and we didn’t have any problem understanding him. We did walk right through the stairlift though. As a matter of fact, we had to put a couple of handrails at the bottom of the stairs. He put those there so that my husband could get off of there safely. The stairlift has been very good for my husband. I was always worried about him falling and now, I don’t worry about that.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

The sales rep from Bruno was a fine guy. He handled everything in the correct way. He was also on the installation team and that went very well too. It took them two and a half hours to put up the stairlift. It's been used three times and it's been successful. I liked it and it works.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Our house has got two floors in it. My late husband doesn’t walk that well so we got a stairlift. The stairlift took him up and down the step. It made it easy for him. The guy from Bruno Independent Living Aids who came out was really good. He was nice and polite. He was well-groomed and gave me kinds of how I could do something or how they could do it. We had a straight stairlift installed. The guy measured it really good and it fit perfect. I had some concerns about it, but it worked out good. The installation team were polite. They have let me know every step of the way what was gonna happen. The quality of the stairlift is very good. One my husband's sisters and his niece came over and they said it looked really nice. They thought it would be a little worse, but they were pleased too.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

We had some experience with another stairlift provider and decided that we wanted to try another so we got Bruno. We bought a used stairlift, and it needed repair. We called these men and they couldn't repair it and they sold us the new one. The installation went very well. We got a straight stairlift that leads from downstairs to the upstairs bedroom. We don't have to take a room downstairs for a bedroom and that makes a big difference. We have the use of the upstairs. I like all the features of the stairlift and the cost is fair. We're perfectly satisfied with those folks at Bruno and I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

My wife is 81 and she has fallen six times down the steps in a condominium unit where we live in. When we decided to purchase a stairlift, we had a price from another guy which was $6,000 and everyone we talked to said it should cost about $3,000 and that’s what it cost at Bruno. Bruno had the lowest price and the lady up the street had put one in when her husband was still alive and it worked fine so we went with them. Working with Gary who sold us the unit went fine and the installer who put the stairlift in did a good job. However, it took a little longer than it should have. We had a piece in it that went bad so the remotes didn’t work but they came back and fixed it. Bruno is a good stairlift. It meets all of our expectations and my wife uses it every day.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I'm 70. My husband passed away last summer. We have a two-bedroom house with an outbuilding that has his old shop at the bottom and a little apartment on top. In the past, both of our kids and their families have lived there as well as our grandson and his wife. It has always been used for something. This year, I spent a lot of time redoing the house, things that my husband and I had decided to do but just hadn't gotten around to and the apartment was one of those things. I had all the walls taken down and redone, and I had the new stairs put up there. I thought that if I'm gonna use it a lot, then I'm gonna need a stairlift because I'm not as young as I used to be and I'm having some heart issues. That way, I can carry something up, and I'm not winded when I get to the top.

Also, I have a friend who may be able to move in and that way we both have somebody to check on us if we need to. There are 17 steps and a stairlift is an amazing thing. If Kelly moves up there or maybe someday I’ll move up there and I have a bag of groceries on my lap, I can get up to the top. The sales rep I worked with at Bruno was good. We used the same company when the VA provided a lot of helpful stuff for my husband so I was pleased with them. Installing the stairlift took a lot longer than the installers had thought. They worked on it for about five hours but it was perfect. Furthermore, it made sense to know that there are keys for the lock. I have seven-year-old grandkids and I know they would spend all day going up and down on that stairlift and they can't play on it so that’s a really good safety factor. Given my experience, I would tell friends to call Bruno.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

My husband was handicapped and we had a chairlift put in many years ago. He died and I did not use it after that. Then my knees got bad and I started using it again, but it didn't last very long after that 'cause it was pretty old. It was a Bruno, whose price was comparable to what we paid 20 years ago, so I thought it was a good deal. The people who put the chairlift in were wonderful. They did a great job and cleaned up after themselves. The chairlift works wonderfully, and my great granddaughter loves it. It's quiet and it's very convenient for me. I've had several friends in and out during my surgery and they've seen the chairlift. It's right there when you walk in the front door, so they know I've got it and that I like it. I bought another one so I have two now, one to the second floor and one to the basement.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I needed to get down on my basement as I have a pool table and different things that I'd like to use. I'm a paraplegic so installing a stairway was an option and that was the option I took. We looked at options throughout the past two years and what would best fit our budget. When we spoke with the representative at Mobility 101, he showed us the Bruno stairlift. He showed us the things that went along with it and it fit our budget, it fit our scenario, and it worked exactly for what we needed it for. Everyone I've dealt with at Mobility 101 were professional, kind and helpful. I was very happy to work with them.

I had a straight stairlift installed and the installation team was very helpful and very professional. They did an incredible job. They were done a lot sooner that I was guesstimating. The stairlift is good and I now enjoy going up and down. I purchased my house two years ago, so it's awesome to finally get down on my pool table and use it. The service and the product had opened up my mobility in my house that much more. Bruno stairlift is a good product. With Bruno's price and accessibility, I would absolutely encourage somebody to get a stairlift. It's obviously a great piece of machinery so I would definitely let people know about it if I knew a family or friends that needed one. I'm very happy with Bruno stairlift. It is working wonderfully and I absolutely love it.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I had three companies come to my house. The reps from the other companies didn't have nice things to say about other people, but James, Bruno's sales rep, didn't badmouth the other companies. I was very excited with the way he came into my house and talked very frankly about his product and what he could do for my dad. However, my experience after that wasn't so good. James both called me and emailed me, but after I gave my initial deposit, I never heard from him again. I called regarding some problems and yet, I did not hear back from him.

One big problem that we had was James and I had measured and mapped the stairlift to come out onto the landing so that my father, who is paralyzed on one side, could easily sit in it. Unfortunately, I wasn't home during installation and the installer didn't have clear instructions from James. My mom said we needed the door to close and the installer just followed that. So now, the stairlift is not safe. My dad can fall right over trying to get into it.

I talked to a rep who told me that if I wanted the bar extended, it would cost me. They are not gonna fix it for me since there was an adult at home during installation. When I told her that there is a safety issue which is what I'm concerned about, she said that I should have thought about it and should have been there. I told her that I mapped it out with their sales person, but then I was told, "That's too bad." I also got all the excuses in the world. In the interim, I asked if we could put an extension so that my dad doesn't have to bend over so far to slip the lever to make the chair swivel. She said if I modify anything, I'm gonna void the warranty. She also said that they'd do some research and get back to me. So far, I have not heard from anybody, except for a phone call asking if I want an extended warranty.

The chair is working fine, though. It goes up and down. My dad also has modified how he's using the stairlift. Instead of leaning over to get in, he goes down a stair or two, so he doesn't have to turn the chair and swivel it out, which is the safety part I wanted. He's stepping down the stair and this could cause him to fall but once he's in it, he's safe. He can go downstairs now. Still, I'm disappointed with Bruno.

Bruno Independent Living Aids response

Thank you for letting us know of your concerns regarding the installation of your stair lift. We will be contacting you shortly to learn more details and to reach out to your local dealer. We want to make sure you and your family feel confident the lift is installed safely.

Bruno Independent Living Aids expert review by Shelley Webb

Bruno is a premier American stairlift manufacturer dedicated to helping people with limited mobility easily access all levels of their home. Family-owned Bruno, offers indoor and outdoor, straight and custom-curve stairlift that fit every staircase, lifestyle and budget.

• Made in USA: All Bruno stairlifts are engineered and manufactured in Wisconsin, USA.

• Vertical rail design: Bruno’s exclusive vertical rail design enables the stairlift to be installed close to the wall, leaving maximum open space on steps.

• Covered gear rack: Bruno’s covered gear rack gives each stair lift a sleek, clean appearance. It also protects the rack from damage and keeps grandchildren and pets from catching on it.

• Straight or Custom Curved: In addition to Bruno’s popular straight stairlift, Bruno’s curved stair lifts are custom crafted for an exact fit to your staircase.

• High-capacity lift choices: Bruno’s stair lifts feature lift capacities up to 400 pounds.

• Five-year limited warranty: The stairlift motor, rail and gearbox are under Bruno warranty for five years; parts are covered for two years.

• Best for: people with limited mobility due to age or chronic condition.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Company Information