Call toll free
4.78/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Bruno is a third-generation family business committed to designing and manufacturing high-quality stairlifts and other products to help people with mobility challenges retain their independence. Bruno stairlifts are manufactured exclusively in Wisconsin, United States.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Video
Bruno Independent Living Aids Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Bruno Independent Living has a good range of stair lifts, with important safety features and some stylish options. Though the curved models have fewer aesthetic options, they are still compatible with most staircases.

PROS

• High weight capacity
  • Good warranty
  • Affordable option available

CONS

• Only available through dealers

Top Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

So far, so good. It is safe, and there’s no problem learning how to use it. I just push the button and ride. I feel much better in my home with the Bruno stairlift. I will highly recommend it.

With the stairlift, my mom sits and goes up and down and the stairs comfortably. I love the stairlift and right now, everything is working well.

Bruno stair lift models

Bruno Independent Living manufactures all their stair lifts in the USA. For those wondering how to install a Bruno stair lift, you don’t need to worry about having technical expertise — only official dealers and authorized technicians can and should install a Bruno stair lift. Bruno stair lift batteries are rechargeable, so the stair lifts can run even during a power outage.

Bruno indoor stair lifts

• Elan Stair Lift (300 lbs capacity): The Elan Stair Lift, also known as the SRE 3000, is Bruno’s most popular stair lift model. One great feature of the Elan is that it can be continually charged, not just at the top or the bottom of the railing like some models from other companies. You can also flip the seat up, so it’s out of the way and doesn’t obstruct the stairs. Installed safety sensors will stop the stair lift in the case of an obstruction on the stairs. The Elan is battery-powered, so it functions during a power outage.
  • Elite Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Stair Lift is a step up from the Elan model. While the Elan is perfectly functional and works well, the Elite can be customized to fit with your home’s decor. You can choose from various options for the seat upholstery and the power chair railing. The Elite model also has a higher weight capacity, at 400 lbs. Like the Elan, it can charge all along the strip, not just at the top and bottom of the landing. It also can fold up so it’s out of the way for people who don’t need to use it. With the Elite, you can also opt for a larger footrest or larger seat. Power swiveling is another option.
  • Elite Curved Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Curved Stair Lift is similar to the original Elite Stair Lift but made for curved stairs. It is also chargeable from anywhere on the stairs, has a safety feature to come to a stop if it senses an obstruction, has a power swivel option and can fold up and out of the way if needed. Unlike the other units, you can remove the lift from the stairs when it’s not in use; however, there is no option to have a painted rail or other custom options.

Bruno outdoor stair lifts

• Elite Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Outdoor Elite has been made to withstand even the most extreme conditions, ranging from 0 degrees to 125 degrees Fahrenheit. Weatherproof features include the use of durable paint on all steel surfaces as well as a complimentary sun, snow and water-resistant cover. The Outdoor Elite can flip up out of the way of the stairs and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction blocking its path. You can think of the Elite Outdoor Stair Lift as a twin to the indoor Elite Stair Lift, just with features designed to make it compatible for the outdoors.
  • Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): Like the indoor Curved Stair Lift, the Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift is custom made for outdoor landscapes that don’t have straightforward stairwells. The curved Elite outdoor model has a power swivel and weatherproof paint. It can fold up and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction. It also is resistant to a wide range of temperatures and comes with a cover.
ModelWeight capacityBest feature
Elan Stair Lift300 lbsLow price
Elite Stair Lift400 lbsStylish upholstery and rail options
Elite Curved Stair Lift400 lbsWorks with almost any type of curved staircase
Elite Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsWeather-resistant paint and cover
Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsCustomizable to wide range of outdoor arrangements

Bruno stair lift cost

Bruno Independent Living doesn’t advertise prices on its website. You’ll have to reach out to them directly to obtain a quote. Generally, stair lifts in the United States can cost between $2,000 and $10,000. A straight stair lift will cost less, and a curved stair lift will cost more. The Bruno Elite stair lift price is higher than that of the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most basic model. If you’re looking for a bargain, it’s best to check out the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most popular purchase. Financing is available for Bruno stair lifts.

Bruno stair lifts also come with a warranty. Indoor straight stairlifts have a lifetime warranty on the major components, like the gearbox, motor, drivetrain and rail. The major components on outdoor and curved stair lifts have a 5-year warranty. All other components on every stair lift have a 2-year warranty. There is also a 30-day labor coverage after installation in the case of a manufacturing defect. These warranties are only valid if the stair lift is installed by an authorized Bruno dealer.

Do we recommend Bruno Independent Living?

We recommend Bruno Independent Living stair lifts. They have a good selection of both indoor and outdoor stair lifts. The safety features and rechargeable batteries are a plus. Bruno has a long history of reliability, and you can rest assured going with them for your stair lift is a great decision.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

My 91-year-old mother has dementia. And the only in and out from our house, which was built kind of on an incline was stepped, and it would have been impossible to push her on a ramp. I figured that a stairlift would be the perfect thing for her. The rep from Bruno was great. At first, I was thinking to get a ramp and then he saw we had basement steps into the garage, so he measured for the ramp and then he measured for the garage. Then he looked at the garage and he said, “Your best bet would be for a stairlift.” That was probably gonna be a little bit less than a ramp, and so it might’ve been more money for him but I appreciated his advice. He said, “I don’t want to sell you something you'd be unhappy with. I wouldn’t wanna have to push somebody up a ramp that size.” So, I appreciated his advice. And he assured me it would be done very safely, and it was.

The stairlift is great. In fact, I use it to bring heavy groceries and bulky things that’s hard for me to bring up. It's two for the price of one. We got a straight stairlift. It goes into a basement, and we got the one that holds 400 pounds. The installer came when he said he was gonna come and he was no trouble. He installed it. He was wonderful. He was out getting those little covers for the railing itself. And I sat in it and I could tell that it might still be too high for my mom and I asked him if there was anything he could do. At first, he didn't think he could, but he came back and said, “I lowered it by an inch.” It’s perfect. He was really nice.

Mom had tried the stairlift three times and she did fine with it. The stairlift is not cheap. I went into it expecting it to be maybe 2,000, but it ended up being 3,725. Things are always more than you think they’ll be. And I told our doctor that I got her a stairlift, and he wanted to know how much it cost, and he thought it’s what he would expect.

Our stairlift will impact both me and my mom greatly because it was hard to get her out of the house. I had just a little, tiny ramp on the front porch and then she had about seven steps to go down, and I have railings. But she had to use both hands on one rail and she barely shuffles when she walks, and it was kinda dangerous. Even though I was with her, it could’ve been dangerous. And it was hard on her. She’s frail and it tired her out to go in and out and it tired me out trying to help her. So, I’m thinking that this stairlift will preserve her energy and mine. And I’m hoping that she may be a little more willing to go out once in a while. She stays in the house all the time and that ties me down. So, I’m hoping it’ll make both the qualities of our lives a little bit better.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I was researching chairlifts and found that everybody said Bruno is the most dependable. So, then, I started looking for who to buy one from. I went for a new one. I found a vendor, 101 Mobility. I called them and they sent a fellow out who claimed that he was half owner of their company. I’m 385 pounds, so we discussed that. He was sitting right across from me in my living room while we were talking about it, and he went and measured my stairwell. I needed the left hand and I needed the Elite, the 400-pound capacity. We ordered it and I gave him a sizable down payment of 2800.

They told me they had it and they were ready to install it. Another fellow came out to install it. He said, “You know, the chair with that is not going to be big enough for you. I can tell already.” And I said that I ordered the big one. He went out to his van and he was out there 15 minutes or so and came in with the chair that went on the lift. It was obviously not big enough for me. And so I knew that the Elite can have a smaller or a large chair. He had to go out and make some calls and when he came back, he said that he talked to his boss and that the bigger chair was like $1500 more. But if I said, “Okay” that day, because of the mix-up, they’ll let me have it for $1250. So, I said, “Pack your stuff up and I’ll call you.” They tell you one thing, and then come out and automatically say, “Oh, that’s not big enough for you,” and then, try to hit you with a big bill, and you are stuck. They, however, refunded my money.

Then, I called Bruno and most they would do was give me names of a couple other vendors. But nobody discussed prices, nobody could tell me the price. But what I learned is that it is up to the selling party and the installer to charge whatever they want. So, in any event, I called two different vendors, and I picked the one that was a little bit closer, but they both seemed agreeable. They come out and talked to me, and agreed I need a bigger chair. Pennyrile Home Medical is the one that I dealt with, and that 101 Mobility was the problem people. They told me it costed more with the bigger chair, but their final price was like 4150, just $300 more than the other guy that wanted 1250, or if I waited a few days, 1500 for the bigger chair. So, they ordered it, got it, came out, installed it, and it was fine. It has got the big chair and it was quick satisfactory. Overall, as far as Bruno and Pennyrile are concerned, they did everything they did.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

Our Bruno stairlift is not what I thought it'd be. It's kinda clunky but it works. It's got the retractable arm that goes down to our basement floor, and the way it goes is that it goes down and stops, and you can't do it any other way that that arm goes out, or you can have it frozen down there, but once you get down to the bottom, the part that extends is not directly aligned and supported like the main rail. When you get to the bottom, you kinda tilt forward to go down the rest of the way. Maybe it's because there's carpet there and that's causing the trouble of it. Also, once it comes back up, it stops, and then it goes up, and then it kinda sounds like gears are grinding together for a little bit before you get to the top. We got a split entry three years ago that they put in on the upper floor to the front door, and we've been using that and that's been pretty good and not too much of a problem at all.

Maybe Bruno hasn't got it perfected enough so it runs smooth and everything, and I can't do anything about it. It does get us down to where we could take showers and do our laundry, which is downstairs. It's just that I figured it'd be a much smoother operation for $7,500. I called them, and I talked to a technician. They said, "Everything is fine. Don't worry about the grinding." So, I can't do anything more. The guy suggested when he would do it, "Well, we could just make it two pieces and like your other one will go all the way down the basement floor." But I was worried if we had to replace the carpets or vacuum. It just sticks out there.

I was wondering if it still bothers us later, maybe we could put one rail all the way down. The upper stairs wasn't going down. They had to cut in the middle to make the length from top to the bottom. I asked them, "Why can't you just get one to order, one whole piece from the factory, so you don't have to slice it in the middle to make the right length?" They said they can't. I used to work with sheet metal and stuff, and I don't see where it would be so prohibitive. I just gotta go with what they say. We haven't had it in very long, so we haven't had any problems. It's just that I feel like I'm tilting forward and gonna fall out a little bit because of the angle when it goes down there. Otherwise, it gets us down there and I'm so grateful we don't have to move, so that we can go up and down the stairs. That's a blessing in itself.

I am so grateful that I've got something to take me down there, and Bruno was really nice. I would recommend Bruno. The chair works really good. They serviced it too and just checked it out when they put in the other part there. I like the chair. It's hefty and it looks like it's not flimsy. It looks to be of very good quality. If somebody wanted one put in, I could give them some recommendation. It's a good set-up.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I'm 82 and my husband is 85, and we both have issues off and on with walking. The time is going to come when we're gonna have major issues. We live in a two-story house and we didn't wanna move. When there's no more coming in other than social security, the cost of a stairlift is high but it is cheaper than moving and living an assisted living.

Someone had told me that Bruno was the best and I really didn't know if it was or wasn't. But when I called Acorn and asked where prices started because we're on a limited income, the man yelled at me and said, "$5,000!" It was attitude and that just turned me off right there. I realized they're not cheap, but I didn't want them to yell at me either.

I called Bruno and a young man, Billy, came to the house and went through it. We did a lot of this on the computer and went back and forth. Billy answered every question and he was very gracious. It didn't matter what time I called him or he called here. We became friends over this whole transaction. We had an easy relationship. It was very comfortable. He is a very personable young man and I would recommend him highly.

My husband wanted to make sure we didn't have any termite problems before they put this in. We didn't wanna take it out if we have problems so we had to do that first. Billy let me know if he had a problem about changing dates and whatnot and took care of that. Then they came out and did it in one day. They told us what to do and how to do it, which I promptly forgot. I had to call him and asked him to come back out. I realized what I was doing wrong as soon as he showed me what I was doing wrong. I said, "Well, now, do you want me to throw away your phone number?" He said no in case I needed him again.

Everything's fine 'till we get to the top. If you're going up the stairs, you have a railing. You get to the part where the second floor is the ceiling then creates a problem because you have the banister that comes out into the stairwell. The stairlift narrows it down. Other than that, it's fine. We park it at the top primarily because I don't want either one of us falling down. I want us to know where it is every time too. Even though that's the narrowest part of the stairway, it's still the best place for it to be parked for us. We can't have it permanently on the floor. It has the full back up, but it still sticks out. The first time the great-grandkids came over, I put a fence around it so that they could see it. I didn't want them to trip on there.

We've already recommended Bruno and I'm looking forward to staying here in our home. The stairlift is also wonderful for taking the laundry up and down. I've learned to pull the laundry basket behind me like a toy. My husband would take it up two steps at a time and lay it on the step on the stairs. The stairlift is wonderful 'cause I haven't figured out a way to pick things up that are on a hanger. On a different note, something that Bruno might think about doing is the CD that Acorn sent. It was really great to show you what it does, how you do it and so forth. Bruno doesn't do anything like that and I really relied on that CD to learn about Bruno.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I share the household with my mother-in-law and for her to get up and down the stairs, I got her a stairlift from Bruno. Initially, I went with a different company and about a week to 10 days before I was due to move in and the installation date was set up, the company called me and said that they were going out of business and I had to find another company and they will refund me. When I asked them how long will it take to get a permit, they told me it will take at least two weeks. I asked them if we can transfer it over since we were a week away from installation. I was then told that they never ordered the permit. They knew that they were not gonna be able to install it at least a week ago and they just called me with a week to 10 days left telling me that it was physically impossible to get another company in here when we were ready to move in.

They were really sorry about it and I told them that they didn’t wanna make the call so they left me high and dry. I asked them who is the biggest company and they told me about one who carried the Bruno stuff. So, I called the lady there and explained what happened. I said that they cannot make miracles but my 81-year-old mother-in-law will either be stuck in her room or try to hobble up and down two large staircases to get in and out of the house. They said that they will get it done as soon as they can and they will order the permit that time. They took what was an absolutely horrendous experience with my first stairlift company and they did the best they could to get it in as quickly as they could. They also kept me informed each step of the way. But, it was beyond their control that we were stuck without a stairlift for an extra week and a half.

They did everything they could to make sure that it was done quickly. The installation went smoothly. All that worked out great and were on time when they said they were gonna be here. However, the real crapper of the whole thing was after I switched to the company that I used, it ended up costing me a few hundred dollars less than the company I thought I was getting a bargain with that went out of business. Bruno was absolutely top-notch and at a really good price. I didn’t feel like I overpaid. Moreover, I had two stair climbers installed because I’m in a three-story unit. One of them would go down but it would not go up. It was in for a couple of weeks and then it quit working. We used the remote control and it worked but the switch in the armrest wouldn’t work.

So, they came out and it turned out it was a motherboard inside of it. Throughout that, their people never left me in the dark. They said that they would order a complete board circuit and it was gonna take a bit. They kept me posted each step of the way and I never felt like I needed to call them and ask what was going on with my order. The service gal who I talked to was just fantastic. She was more concerned about me waiting on stuff than I was at times. Overall, my experience with Bruno was excellent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

My mom experienced a fall and was in a nursing home. They won’t release her until she had the ability to go home and move around by herself so it was decided that it was time for a stairlift for her. The Bruno rep came out and gave a quick estimate as far as the time it would take and how much it would take. The installation was fairly simple and took, roughly, an hour and a half. My mom loves the stairlift.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

My wife had a heart attack and she can't walk. We needed a stairlift to get her upstairs and we got a Bruno. After I purchased it, the guy I bought it from, Rick, came back the next day to pick up the balance of his pay. I mentioned to him that the stairlift was starting to lean away from the wall. He told me that he would have somebody sent over. But then, nobody came so I phoned Bruno and asked them what was going on. They said they haven't heard anything from Rick and they were making arrangements for somebody to come over. It has already been two or three weeks. The service is **.

Also, there are a few things about this straight stairlift that I'm not impressed with. When it gets to the top of the stairs and I rotate the seat, it starts to trip to indicate that it’s at the top and swivel up 90 degrees. When my wife goes to bed, she has to turn around and straighten the chair back up 'cause the tripping doesn't stop. Bruno should have some sort of a sensor with which if the lift is not being used for a length of time, it would have the trippers shut off.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

My wife couldn’t get up and down the stairs, so I needed to get a stairlift. This is the second one we've had. We've had one that was Bruno before secondhand. That one they’ve discontinued and don't do the parts after 10 years, so I had to get a new one. The new one just got put in last month. The installers were great. I've used them for 10 years, and they’re good guys.

We got a townhouse and we sized down from a big house. We knew when we bought that that if we were gonna live there, we’d need a stair elevator. So, we’ve been here 12 years, and we’ve had one 11 years. I like this new one a lot better than the other one. The other one was really heavy, had a flat track and all the dirt and stuff got in it. This one is vertical track and aluminum. And it says in the warranty that the aluminum tracks are guaranteed for life. If something goes wrong with the track, it’s part of the warranty and they’ll replace it. So I like that. It’s got some good warranty on the Bruno products because you don’t know if aluminum is gonna stand up the same way that cast iron do.

And my wife really likes the fact that this is a lot lighter. It’s easier for her to lift the handles up, put the seat up and down. The other was really heavy and I could never move anything or do anything with it without getting one of my sons to help. Like when I had to take it out to get new flooring put in, I had to get help because it’s so heavy. But I also liked that product, I just like this one better. And that makes sense because it’s a newer product. They make improvements all the time. I’m just hoping it’s got some longevity because lighter products tend to wear out.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I’m taking care of a person that has Parkinson’s, and we got a Bruno stairlift because it's American made. The installation team was very clean and very professional. We've had the stairlift for 2 weeks, and unfortunately, it’s not working for us. My patient is having trouble bearing weight. It’s two straights, so you gotta transfer and it’s getting very, very, very difficult, and I almost wish I didn’t get it. I should have gotten a wheelchair one. But overall, the quality of the stairlift has been really good and I'm very, very satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

My husband had a heart attack and a stroke. He’s unable to walk up and down the stairs, and we have a lot of stairs. The state decided on Bruno. And I really liked their rep. The guy was really nice and very informative. My husband is loving the stairlift. What he likes most is the flexibility of it. He can close it up. He can turn it off when the kids would get into it. It’s very easy to operate. And he likes that he can operate it using one side of the handle. With a push of his thumb, he can make it go up or down.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Company Information