4.86/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Bruno is a third-generation family business committed to designing and manufacturing high-quality stairlifts and other products to help people with mobility challenges retain their independence. Bruno stairlifts are manufactured exclusively in Wisconsin, United States.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

824 Bruno Independent Living Aids Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

We got a son that has bone cancer in his legs and he has a room upstairs. I was thinking what to get and we had two other choices but the rep from Bruno was the only guy who showed up to show us the stairlift. He showed up on time and he said everything he was gonna do. It’s a nice system and we’ve been happy with it so far. We got a straight stairlift. We have 15 steps and then, we got the extension at the bottom. The installers took three hours and the stairlift is working. Quality-wise, it’s good and it survived our use on it.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I had injuries in my legs and I got a Bruno stairlift through the VA. The installers did a good job and I had no problems with them. The quality of the stairlift is okay but I need someone to come out because the pads are coming loose underneath the legs. I had a good service from Bruno and having the stairlift made it a lot easier to go up and down. I don't have to worry about falling.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I needed a stairlift because I couldn't walk. The VA choose Bruno over other stairlift providers and we had a straight stairlift installed. It fits well within our stairwell and still, they can get by. The quality of the stairlift is very good so far. The stairlift greatly affected my life and I can get up the stairs.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I was talking with one of my nephews and I learned that a friend of the family got a stairlift from Bruno. My wife needed a stairlift and we got a straight one up the platform and then another one up a little higher. The reps from Bruno came, did a very good job and were done in a short period of time. The stairlift made it possible for my wife to get around the house much better. It worked very good and it did what they said it would do.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My wife had a knee replacement surgery and we still wanted to use our upstairs. When she had her hands full going up and down the stairs, it increased the potential for a fall or losing your balance. Getting a stairlift seemed like a good thing to do as we were getting a little older and so, we did it. We shopped around and I researched on the internet. A lot of the comments on the frontpage of Acorn Stairlift weren’t nice. People were saying that they were good at advertising and selling but not that great at following through with the service and things of this nature. We live in the Rochester, New York area and went to two different spots. We saw three different types of chairlifts and I came back and checked more on the computer. Bruno’s reputation and things that I saw in there were stellar so, I went with them.

The installation experience couldn’t have been better. The gal came out, got some measurements and helped make decision about any additional features we might benefit from. She didn’t get here until 6:30 at night since ours was the sixth one she has sold that day. The guy who installed it did it all in a matter of four hours and it was done very well. They were both very patient and cooperative. They went out of their ways to make sure that we knew how to use it and understand how it functions.

Since we’ve had the stairlift, it has helped a lot in getting the laundry up and down the stairs as well as other things. We sit in the chair and take it up or bring it down rather than try to navigate the stairs. One time, my wife didn’t use it and three steps from the bottom while carrying something, she lost her balance. That was a reminder that the chairlift was there for a purpose and better use it. We’ve had the Bruno stairlift for four months and it’s working great. It’s doing its job, serving its purpose and so, it is a win-win situation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

My husband has been very sick and he got the stairlift through VA from Bruno. The installers were wonderful, very efficient and polite. It took them an hour and half to get the straight stairlift installed. Since having it, it has made my husband’s life easy. Now, he can go up and down the stairs. Quality-wise, the stairlift is very good and the service from Bruno was wonderful. Everything has been fine and I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

My husband is disabled and the people from VA sent the Bruno stairlift to us. We have one indoor and then, we have a lift in the garage. It was installed one afternoon and quality-wise, it is excellent. We like the stairlift very much and it made it easier for my husband to go up and down the stairs.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I got quotes from several stairlift companies and all the prices were in the same range but Bruno’s high consumer confidence rating made us choose them. I got in touch with the local distributor and left him a message on his answering machine. He got back to me within an hour and he came out the very next day. It took only a few days later for him to schedule the installers and they were done in a couple of hours. The installation was done well and efficiently. The chair seems to be working quite well but the stair seat doesn’t stay up properly at the top of the stairs. We just put the seatbelt on there and that keeps it from flopping back down.

The owner of the local franchise was marvelous. He was very knowledgeable, offered me several options and explained the product clearly. He had all the answers to my questions and volunteered information but didn’t try to hard sell or pressure to buy his product. Some of the other companies were harassing me and following up with a million phone calls and emails. He knew that his product was good and answered my questions. I had a lot of confidence in his competence. He talked to me about the maintenance and follow-up services which was what I was looking for. He was very good.

My brother had a stroke and was paralyzed. He’s in a wheelchair. We have a two-story house with the bedrooms upstairs and the chairlift has made it possible for him to get out of the assisted living situation and move back home. So, it has made a big difference. He couldn’t have moved home without it. I’m very happy with the product, the timeliness and responsiveness of the team with the quality of the installation. I couldn’t be more satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

My mother can’t walk and I only have a bathroom upstairs. Also, the bedroom is upstairs. So, in order for her to be able to access things in my home, we needed the chairlift. When I looked it up, Bruno Independent Living Aids got some of the best reviews. I called them and they set up an appointment. The salesman came and brought a sample and when the salesman came, that was the one that we went with. But it would’ve been more helpful if they have brochures with the price breakdowns and everything in them because then I could’ve made the decision much more quickly. Other than that, the installation was fine. I was not at home when they did it and I came home and it was done. We had a straight one installed and it has impacted my mother's life greatly. She has recommended it to one of her other friends.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

My wife and I are having troubles with the stairs. We've discussed about getting a stairlift, and my daughter searched it over and she set up the appointment with Bruno. The team that came in here were nice people and they knew what they were doing. They went no time at all putting it in. They put it together out in the yard, and then set it up right in here, bolted it down, and set the chair on it. They explained to me about it, and they did a fine job. I'd recommend Bruno 100%.

Right now, we're having little problems with the stairlift. Sometimes, if you're at the bottom of the steps, and you start to go up, and you manage it to go up at a click, but it won't go no more. You can hold it there for long as you want to, but they won't ever move. Then you gotta let off of it and maybe do that once or twice to get it to ever go, and it may get part of the way up and just quit. And then, you gotta let off and hit it again to make it go again. I don't know what's going on with it. But I'm sure that I can call Bruno, and they can come out here and straighten it out for me.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Bruno was the stairlift that was provided to me by the VA. It’s a straight up and down and it fits good in the stairwell. I’m very happy with it. The installers came in one afternoon and they had it installed in five hours. The stairlift is working good and it has made it easier for me to get up and down the stairs. We're well satisfied with it.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

This year, I had three surgeries including hip surgery and gallbladder surgery, and I had a pacemaker put in. The doctors thought we should have a stairlift if we go into the family room, which is in the outside level, and if we have to go up into the kitchen to get into the rest of the house, and that’s about five steps up. It was very good with the sales rep from Bruno. He did a really nice job, and it didn’t take him too long.

The installation guy didn’t as well take very long, and he was very nice to deal with. He also showed us how to use the stairwell. The straight stairlift fit very well in my stairwell and its compactness is very good. It's very sturdy and convenient and it works really good. It made my life easier. My wife just had surgery, too, for a hip replacement and she uses the stairlift all the time and she likes it very well.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I had a bad knee and when my hip came out of socket, I was rushed to the hospital and I had a hip replacement. The doctor said that the stairlift was the best thing. My husband is a veteran and the purchase was done through the VA. They picked Bruno for us and we were very satisfied with them. Bruno reps did a nice job. A woman came out and showed us pictures. And then, their reps just came and showed us what they were gonna do, and in two hours, they were done putting it in. Bruno stairlift's quality is good and it works good. It helps me that I don’t have to do the steps. My husband and I love it. It comes in really handy because my laundry is downstairs, so it’s perfect. The garage is downstairs too so we use this stair thing quite a bit. We have a slow boy and he likes it too. I would recommend Bruno to anybody.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have 15 stairs going from the first floor to the second floor, and it was either get a stairlift or have a knee replaced. Bruno has a representative in Philipsburg, which is where I live. The first man that came did the measuring, and he was very good. When the installer came, it was a rainy day so he couldn’t go outside and do it. He told me what he was gonna do, and with the car in the garage, there was no room for him to work there. He said he would be back the next day with all the pieces cut, and he did. He told me about the time he’d come, and he was very prompt getting here and getting it done. Since he had all the cutting done at the shop, it was just putting it in and screwing it down, so there was no mess for him to clean up. With the Bruno stairlift, I wish I had gotten it sooner. I use it and I really enjoy it.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

We needed something to get my son, Michael, upstairs and we went with MEDIchair, the provider that we’ve been using for years. We talked to Melanie and we got the Bruno stairlift. The fellow that they sent out for the installation was great, and he did it very quickly and neatly. He gave me really good instructions and we’ve had no problem.

We have a platform at the bottom of the stairs to step on before you reach the stairs and then when it stops at the top on a platform, and then there’s a step up to the second level. My son-in-law installed banisters all the way around the wall and Michael has some mobility, so it works great. The Bruno stairlift works beautifully, and Michael loves being on the same level as us. The quality of the stairlift itself is excellent and we get comments when people come over. It’s a really nice stair lift and we feel like it’s safe. It’s as much as you can get it outta the way as it doesn’t take a lot of room. The Bruno stairlift is a good unit and we really enjoy it.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My husband couldn't go up and down the stairs very well and neither could I. We’re 80 some years old and our legs wouldn’t do it. Our Veterans Administration chose Bruno for us. We asked that they get the Bruno stairlift there so we can go up and down the stairs and Bruno did great. Their reps were very nice and polite, and they helped in every way they could. The installation took about two days. We had a big break in between because it was a weekend. Our stairlift is great. I would go up and down the stairs now and I do my laundry, which is downstairs, every Monday. We had a great experience with Bruno and I'd tell others to choose them.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I’m an amputee and I just had a heart pump put in, so I couldn’t make the stairs. Three companies came out and I liked Bruno. They’re the best. The salesman was very nice, polite and explained everything he was doing at the time. He knew their product really well and made it right for me. The stairlift is a straight shot and I love it. It has made my life a lot easier because before, I had to get up early in the morning and have my son-in-law carry me up the stairs in order for me to even go up. Now, I could do my own thing downstairs where I’m at and get on the lift whenever I want. We got a very narrow stairwell, and it fit perfectly. Everything worked out fine and they did a fabulous job. I'd recommend it to anybody.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

My wife had two back surgeries and double knees and I had one knee out. The 28th of November I had my surgery done and it was like a week before that when I got the lift from Bruno. They first got the wrong one. The chair was for the opposite side, so they had to reorder it, but they still got it done before I had the surgery. We got a straight indoor one and it's 17 steps up. It’s a 400-lb one with a bigger seat and a bigger base. The function is great and it’s convenient for a lot of things.

But upon riding the thing, it’s quiet, but if you put small things on it, when it goes up it makes sounds like someone’s grinding. When I told them it was making this noise first and they came out, they thought it was just some wire vibrating or something. They were here pretty fast and they looked at it. They were gonna order some parts but it was almost a month ago and now we’ve been waiting and nothing. They never got back and I’m kinda disappointed. I’m worried about it something’s going to be wrong in the future because of that noise. Also, my wife noticed down the steps, when you hold the remote down, it almost flicker to get it to stop. There's one of the buttons to push it again and it doesn’t work, but you’re within 10 feet of it, so I don’t know why that happens. Other than the machine itself, the operation is perfect. The function of riding it, it doesn’t go slow and it doesn’t go real fast. It’s good that way.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I have neuropathy on my legs really bad and my house has two floors, and there’s a basement where my washer and dryer was at. The VA got a Bruno stairlift for me because I was having a very hard time walking upstairs. The installation team was very nice. They came in and did what they had to do. The stairlift helped me a lot and I didn’t have any problem with it. But at one time after it has been put in for so many months, it just stopped working. So, I finally called them and they came right out and fixed it. Their service was very good. I was very satisfied with them.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

The Bruno stairlift has allowed me to stay in the house and I would recommend them. I have a balance problem, Charcot-Marie-Tooth and macular degeneration. So, I have a drop foot and climbing stairs is difficult. I have two Bruno stairlifts and they fit very well into the stairwell. The installer did a good job and had everything done in two hours. He works for the Fire Department and he does this in his spare time for the store. We have a little more of a problem in the basement because the stairs are a little narrower but it works okay and folds up. I like the new one a little better because it slows up when you reach the end and I wish it was on the old one.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My husband is incapacitated, and he needed something to get up and down. We have two sets of stairs, and the Veterans recommended to get a stairlift. The Bruno sales reps were very, very nice, and we got the straight stairlift. The installation team was very nice and they were here all day. They did it quite well as far as we know. We haven’t had any problems with it. The stairlift was something we really needed, and we really couldn’t do without it right now.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My husband fell and had a broken pelvis. While Acorn had a lot of publicity, we wanted to buy a stairlift from somebody here in Cookerville. I purchased a Bruno stairlift while my husband was in the hospital. It goes up one flight and then curves around and goes up about five steps. It’s straight and then it’s curved a little bit, and then it’s up a few steps. The stairlift's installation went well and the installers who did it were pleasant and cooperative. They were very nice too. And while I wasn't pleased that it took longer to get the stairlift than I thought it would, we managed so everything's fine. I like my Bruno stairlift.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My car is garaged at the basement and in order to get to it, I had to walk in this big and long stairs which was steep. In the wintertime, it was dangerous and the stairlift was the solution to take care of my need. The best thing the VA ever did was give me that stairlift because I was struggling to get up and down those steps and then going down the sidewalk. So, it was a lifesaver. They got a straight stairlift for me that goes straight down to the basement. The company that installed it was great but they had to come back once. It started beeping and it was another plug that goes into the power pack. It came loose and they followed up with it.

The quality of the stairlift is good and I don’t have any problems with it. It was built solid and got all the features I need for my age at 80 years old. It’s a little cramped within the stairwell but it works good. It was a challenge for me to go anywhere and the Bruno stairlift made a 180-degree impact on my life. I'm not afraid to get on it and my wife who is a little older than I am uses it too. I also like the elevator idea. When I bring the car in and I have to unload the car, I can just lock away and put the stuff on the chair and then send it up. It makes it twice as better.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have issues with my lungs and I get breathless when I climb the stairs. The contractor that we hired recommended Bruno. The installation went smoothly, and the stairlift seems to be working fine.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I had a trouble of walking the stairs. I called my friend and asked if she knew somebody that I could call for a stairlift and she gave me Bruno's number. The sales visit was very good and I enjoyed talking to the representatives. They explained a lot and so I'm happy with that. The installation team was very good too. Now, I have a stairlift and I really enjoy it. It has really helped me all the way and I should have gotten it earlier. I tell anyone who asks me about it that I'm very satisfied. Somebody already asked me about Bruno and wanted their number. So whoever calls them, they should really go ahead and do the job that they did for me.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

My daughter surveyed and found Bruno. They did great and they did a clean job during the installation. I love the stairlift. It makes me feel more free, more moveable, and more mobile.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I had back surgery, and I’m still having some problem taking the stairs. There are seven stairs going from the kitchen upstairs. So I had a problem, and we decided we were gonna put a chair lift in. The sales visit from Bruno was very good. Everything was fine. They were very informative, and the price was right. We got a straight stairlift that goes up seven stairs. It fits our stairwell very well. We also bought the thing that pulls up out of the way. And so that was very nice and we’re very happy with it.

The installation team was very informative. They were very clean. They cleaned everything up and they were outta here in less than four hours because it was very straightforward. After they put it in, they showed me how to run it, and everything’s been fine. After the surgery, I was upstairs here for almost five weeks. I could get down, but I had to have help to get back up. But with the stairlift now, it’s so much easier up and down stairs, and even my wife uses it. I’m very happy with the product.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I was unable to go up and down the stairs on my own. Bruno had a sales visit with me and it was very nice. The sales representative explained everything to me and then the installer came. Installation took no time at all. The Bruno people answered whatever questions I had and were very professional. The stairlift was very good quality and I'm happy with it.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

My husband and I are both disabled veterans. He is on the verge of losing his right leg and he probably should have had it amputated a year ago but he's a typical man. He is bullheaded. It was a service-related injury which happened during his time in the coast guard. The VA came in and they got him a stairlift. When the gentleman came out to do the measurements, he could not have been nicer and he was delightful. We have a rescue dog that is extremely skittish, very protective and blind. She remembered him. All he had to do was say, "Hi, baby," and she knew exactly who he was. Every time she heard his voice, she followed him around. He is welcome here any time and if any time he needs fishing lures, he can stop right on out. He knows where we live and he can give us a call.

We got two straight stairlifts and the bottom of the rail folds over so that the chair comes down a little bit further. When he gets off the chair, he's on a flat surface instead of having one foot on one stair and his other foot on another stair. There were no curves in the stairway and they were both indoors. The stairlift fits into the stairwell perfectly. It’s a little narrow but my niece and I suck it up. I like that my husband can get up and down the stairs without limping and falling.

We live in the middle of nowhere in West Virginia in the town of 300 people. Also, my parents had a stroke so, I'm a caregiver for them. We live half a mile from each other and I’m back and forth between my mom's house and my house all the time. We don't have to worry about my husband falling and landing on his head on the concrete floor in the basement, and that he can get up and down the stairs without having to fall. He's on blood thinners and so, if he even so much as cut himself, he could bleed to death. To know that John is okay and that he can get up and down the stairs by himself gives me the peace of mind that that's one less thing for me to worry about. I could not recommend Bruno more. I told the folks at the VA too and they were happy to hear that. People should run and get Bruno.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

My wife is incapable of going up and down the steps and I didn’t want a hospital bed downstairs. I called two stairlift dealers near our home and one responded right away. The representative showed me what they had and all the advantages and also the price and the delivery, and I was impressed with all of it except for the price, I was hoping it would be a lot cheaper, but that’s all right. We got a Bruno indoor straight stairlift and it fits very good into our stairwell. The installers were very efficient and knowledgeable. The install was complete in a couple of hours. But then one of the electrical cords was not laying down where it’s supposed to be in. It was up, where it shouldn’t be, and it wouldn’t work. So I called and they were here right away and took care of it. I’m satisfied with it and having it made life more convenient.

Bruno Independent Living Aids expert review by Shelley Webb

Bruno is a premier American stairlift manufacturer dedicated to helping people with limited mobility easily access all levels of their home. Family-owned Bruno, offers indoor and outdoor, straight and custom-curve stairlift that fit every staircase, lifestyle and budget.

• Made in USA: All Bruno stairlifts are engineered and manufactured in Wisconsin, USA.

• Vertical rail design: Bruno’s exclusive vertical rail design enables the stairlift to be installed close to the wall, leaving maximum open space on steps.

• Covered gear rack: Bruno’s covered gear rack gives each stair lift a sleek, clean appearance. It also protects the rack from damage and keeps grandchildren and pets from catching on it.

• Straight or Custom Curved: In addition to Bruno’s popular straight stairlift, Bruno’s curved stair lifts are custom crafted for an exact fit to your staircase.

• High-capacity lift choices: Bruno’s stair lifts feature lift capacities up to 400 pounds.

• Five-year limited warranty: The stairlift motor, rail and gearbox are under Bruno warranty for five years; parts are covered for two years.

• Best for: people with limited mobility due to age or chronic condition.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Company Information