2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts

4.8/5 (211 ratings)

About Bruno Independent Living Aids

Bruno is a third-generation, family-owned-and-operated company committed to designing and manufacturing the highest-quality stairlifts and accessibility products to help people with mobility challenges retain their independence. Made-in-USA Bruno stairlifts are manufactured exclusively in Wisconsin, United States - and proudly installed by local experts who live in, support and serve their local communities.

Pros

• High weight capacity
  • Good warranty
  • Affordable option available

Cons

• Only available through dealers

Bottom Line

Bruno Independent Living has a good range of stair lifts, with important safety features and some stylish options. Though the curved models have fewer aesthetic options, they are still compatible with most staircases.

Top Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

So far, so good. It is safe, and there’s no problem learning how to use it. I just push the button and ride. I feel much better in my home with the Bruno stairlift. I will highly ...

Bruno stair lift models

Bruno Independent Living manufactures all their stair lifts in the USA. For those wondering how to install a Bruno stair lift, you don’t need to worry about having technical expertise — only official dealers and authorized technicians can and should install a Bruno stair lift. Bruno stair lift batteries are rechargeable, so the stair lifts can run even during a power outage.

Bruno indoor stair lifts

• Elan Stair Lift (300 lbs capacity): The Elan Stair Lift, also known as the SRE 3000, is Bruno’s most popular stair lift model. One great feature of the Elan is that it can be continually charged, not just at the top or the bottom of the railing like some models from other companies. You can also flip the seat up, so it’s out of the way and doesn’t obstruct the stairs. Installed safety sensors will stop the stair lift in the case of an obstruction on the stairs. The Elan is battery-powered, so it functions during a power outage.
  • Elite Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Stair Lift is a step up from the Elan model. While the Elan is perfectly functional and works well, the Elite can be customized to fit with your home’s decor. You can choose from various options for the seat upholstery and the power chair railing. The Elite model also has a higher weight capacity, at 400 lbs. Like the Elan, it can charge all along the strip, not just at the top and bottom of the landing. It also can fold up so it’s out of the way for people who don’t need to use it. With the Elite, you can also opt for a larger footrest or larger seat. Power swiveling is another option.
  • Elite Curved Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Curved Stair Lift is similar to the original Elite Stair Lift but made for curved stairs. It is also chargeable from anywhere on the stairs, has a safety feature to come to a stop if it senses an obstruction, has a power swivel option and can fold up and out of the way if needed. Unlike the other units, you can remove the lift from the stairs when it’s not in use; however, there is no option to have a painted rail or other custom options.

Bruno outdoor stair lifts

• Elite Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Outdoor Elite has been made to withstand even the most extreme conditions, ranging from 0 degrees to 125 degrees Fahrenheit. Weatherproof features include the use of durable paint on all steel surfaces as well as a complimentary sun, snow and water-resistant cover. The Outdoor Elite can flip up out of the way of the stairs and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction blocking its path. You can think of the Elite Outdoor Stair Lift as a twin to the indoor Elite Stair Lift, just with features designed to make it compatible for the outdoors.
  • Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): Like the indoor Curved Stair Lift, the Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift is custom made for outdoor landscapes that don’t have straightforward stairwells. The curved Elite outdoor model has a power swivel and weatherproof paint. It can fold up and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction. It also is resistant to a wide range of temperatures and comes with a cover.
ModelWeight capacityBest feature
Elan Stair Lift300 lbsLow price
Elite Stair Lift400 lbsStylish upholstery and rail options
Elite Curved Stair Lift400 lbsWorks with almost any type of curved staircase
Elite Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsWeather-resistant paint and cover
Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsCustomizable to wide range of outdoor arrangements

Bruno stair lift cost

Bruno Independent Living doesn’t advertise prices on its website. You’ll have to reach out to them directly to obtain a quote. Generally, stair lifts in the United States can cost between $2,000 and $10,000. A straight stair lift will cost less, and a curved stair lift will cost more. The Bruno Elite stair lift price is higher than that of the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most basic model. If you’re looking for a bargain, it’s best to check out the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most popular purchase. Financing is available for Bruno stair lifts.

Bruno stair lifts also come with a warranty. Indoor straight stairlifts have a lifetime warranty on the major components, like the gearbox, motor, drivetrain and rail. The major components on outdoor and curved stair lifts have a 5-year warranty. All other components on every stair lift have a 2-year warranty. There is also a 30-day labor coverage after installation in the case of a manufacturing defect. These warranties are only valid if the stair lift is installed by an authorized Bruno dealer.

Do we recommend Bruno Independent Living?

We recommend Bruno Independent Living stair lifts. They have a good selection of both indoor and outdoor stair lifts. The safety features and rechargeable batteries are a plus. Bruno has a long history of reliability, and you can rest assured going with them for your stair lift is a great decision.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

Original review: May 6, 2021

A lot of people I know would be unhappy if the stairlift was uninstalled. I was accepting life as the way it was until I got in contact for this one person who said, "Why didn't you call sooner?" I said, "I would have done so if I would have known about it." It's something Bruno doesn't advertise and say, "If you need help putting our system to get around the house or whatever, we can get this, we can get that for you now." It's just word of mouth and finding out. I went and found it out from that one friend of mine who lost an arm and a leg. And he said that was the best thing for me.

We liked the installation because I was told that normally the installer attaches them to the wall, or they do something else. Bruno installed ours to our steps. My wife wasn't happy because we got oak flooring and she didn't like that. But I said, "Well, you'll get use out of it. And when I get to the point where I can't walk, I'll get use out of it too." She said, “Okay." She would've had it mounted to the wall, but I've never seen any of them. Even on TV, they’re always mounted to the floor, on the steps. She said, "We paid a lot of money for those oak stair tread and stuff. Well, I can live with it." And before we used to have particleboard shelving and covered it up with carpet. And we took the carpet and the particle board shelving out and they put oak stair tread on top.

The only thing I was unhappy with is when the installers did all the cutting, they left all the metal shavings in my driveway, and I had to go out there and get my blower. I said, "Oh, no big deal." I thought they would be aluminum foil, heck no. They were sharp shards. I picked one up and said, "Oh crap." My grandkids come and visit me and when they get off, they're just wearing their socks all bare-footed. That's why I said, "I want to get this stuff out of here because if the kids can get that stuff on their feet, they're going to come in crying down, "Grandpa, grandpa, I got this stuck on my foot.". So, I just took my blower and blew all that stuff away. Other than that, I got no other complaints. The stairlift works good. My grandkids like the hell out of it, and I do too.

I have a close friend of mine who is a veteran too and had his installed. They wanted to put one when he's going downstairs, because his wife told me he had the scoot in his butt to get downstairs. When there's a severe tornado warning, they said that that's the only way he could get out. But he said it limited the space going up and going down. And mine does too, but I don't worry about it. Now, all I have to worry about is getting in and out of bed, take a shower. I would tell everybody that comes into my house, "Check this out. It has rocket boosters on it. You put it in compound, it goes slow." It only travels at one speed, but it's a plus and they like it. They would say "I gotta get me one of those."

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

A Bruno lift was assembled in Wilmington, Delaware on the back of my truck for my electric mobility scooter. I took my truck through the VA. I'm 100% disabled and I have bad back issues, and they provided me a lift that's on the back of my pickup. The VA gave me electric mobility scooter to get around with. The representatives from the day that I went up to have it installed on my truck were really polite and business-like 100%. The technician that installed it on my truck said he’d be about an half hour, and he was a little bit quicker. He explained all the procedures and the function of it and went over it a couple times with me to make sure I was clear about it.

I've used the apparatus several times. I've had it about a month and a half now, and I am tickled to death with it. The interaction with the people as far as the people presenting Bruno was a pleasure. My lift is installed in my receiver hitch on the back of my pickup that I pull my trailers with. They installed it, in which it doesn't use a pin, so you can easily remove it, so I could put my hitch on to pull my trailer. They use a bolting system that they have to use. Their guy told me why.

If you put a receiver in the back of a pickup, that's not a real tight fit. So, stuff rolls and moves around a little bit. They want this thing to be tight in the hole, so they have a compression segment that goes in there and a bolt. You tighten the bolt up, and it does not move one ounce. That's the way they want it for this lift. So, when it's going down the highway, the lift and the chair you got on it is perfectly level with the ground, and there's no movement, and it fastens down on it. The only drawback I have is the bolt. I've had to remove it one time and take the hitch off for the use of my trailer. It's a little bit more cumbersome than it is just pulling a pin. But outside of that, I'm alright with it. I recommend Bruno highly. I would do it again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I'll be 88 next year. I have a hard time climbing up and down the stairs and my kids didn't want me to fall down in the stairs. I also wanted a walk-in bathtub downstairs but nobody wanted to open the wall into the third car garage to extend the shower or walk-in tub in there. They didn't want to disturb the electrical wiring behind that wall in my bathroom downstairs, so my son went into searching Google and find a stairlift. I know my girlfriend in San Diego has one when she retired and she's happy with it.

I got the straight one, up and down, with a curve in the bottom stair. The installer who came out was a nice and respectful guy. He showed me how to use it, told me about changing of the batteries and to oil once a year. I wrote that down, but he talked so fast. Maybe because he had another installation to go to. But my son told Dan from sales that I'm still available to climb up three steps. So we can wait until I cannot walk up in that three steps to go up in the level where the stairlift is before making any adjustments.

Other than that, my stairlift fits my stairs well. Initially, I was thinking that they could change the stair handle to the other side because the lift is in the right side. But that's the only one with the handle in the rail where you go up and down to hold. But Bruno's rep said he could extend it out there than the stairwell and that was what he did. There is still a few space to walk up and down for anybody, so it works.

When I use my stairlift up and down, there is a green light in the top where they installed under the step upstairs that was on all the time. But last week, I noticed that there was a red light blinking in that green light. So I told my son and he said it might be the battery. He said to call up Dan, so I did that today but he was out of the office. He also gave me the office number, but it was unavailable. It told me I could call later. But Dan said he would call me and try to send me a repair guy to come over. So that's what I'm waiting for. Now, my stairlift stopped running up and down and doesn't move anymore. But I tried to twist back and forth, because you can twist it back and forth, and that's how I go upstairs. Besides that, my stairlift is a good one. It helps me now because I can carry my laundry basket in there too.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

My husband has Parkinson's and in late July, he fell and broke his back. We have a two-storey house with a basement with stairs everywhere and our bedrooms and bathrooms are upstairs. So after he got to the hospital, we had a bed downstairs. We went back to the VA and said that we gotta do something. So, they ordered the stairlift to have it installed. I was scared to death he was gonna fall. He has very little balance in everything. Before we got it installed, I was having to use straps around him and pull him upstairs, and then hold him going down the stairs. There are 13 stairs and I have bad knees, so I was thinking one or both of us are gonna go one day. But the stairlift has been wonderful and we both love Bruno. He uses it all the time during the day and I use it because I have horrible knees and I almost fell down too. It benefits both of us. It has probably some years off of both of us just having it since we got it.

The sales reps called after we applied for it. The rep came out and measured everything. He told us what we needed and what would be done. It was great. A week and a half afterwards, they came out to install and the installer was wonderful. The stairlift works beautifully because we've got it straight upstairs. I like how the chair swivels and locks in place. So, I don't worry about it not being in place for Don to get into it. It’s got that fold-up leg on the bottom so we fold that up and it gets out of the way. My daughter and granddaughter live with me so they're up and down it all the time, and it doesn't block anything. That's very nice. It saves space and it seems to be working fantastic. I use it to take my laundry down too so it has lots of features that aren’t what it’s designed for. It does other duties as required and it works quite well. It's worth whatever it costs.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I was looking online at all the different brands and gave some of the dealers a call. Bruno called me back and was most efficient about taking care of me. The sales rep was very knowledgeable and he wasn't pushy. He explained what they could do, how much it would cost, what they would probably need to do in order to put the stairlift in, what they would need to remove, what I might need to add as well as how long it would approximately take to get the chair and get it installed.

A gentleman came on time as scheduled for the installation. He explained what he was going to need to do and did it with minimal noise and dirt. When he was finished, he took me through the operation of the chair and showed me the lights and whatnot that I needed to be aware of and that needed to be connected as well as what to do if something went wrong. I have the Elan and we’re quite happy with its compactness. I'm thinking about possibly having Mobility come out and put another one in for my other stairwell.

With having the stairlift, I like the comfort of being able to get up, and my husband and I both being able to get up and down without a struggle. He feels a little uncomfortable because he's all about safety and sturdiness and he's old. The arms feel flimsy to him. He's always not sure that they're quite gonna support him when he goes to stand up, but they have. It’s not a problem. Also, he's very tall, so he has a little bit of trouble with his knees when he comes up, but there's still room for him to do that.

The switch that's on the right-hand side of the chair that makes the chair go up or down is right at the end of the arm. And depending on how you stand up and use it, you can flip the switch to where it can move on you. I have not seen it. I have not had that problem, but because he's tall and has long arms and he has large hands, sometimes when he scoots himself to the edge to stand up, he will activate that switch. Now, if he's locked in at the top, before he tries to get out at the top, that's not an issue. It's when he's at the bottom and he goes to stand up or sit down, then the chair might move up a little bit on him.

Original review: July 3, 2021

The salesperson knew what he was talking about and the installers were awesome. They showed us everything. The stairlift could have a soft cushion to it but besides that, it's doing its job. It gives more mobility to get upstairs.

Original review: June 25, 2021

The installation was quick and efficient. The lady seemed to know what she was doing and it all worked well. I love the stairlift. At least I can live in my house. I don't have to consider selling it.

Original review: June 18, 2021

The representatives were awesome and the people who installed the stairlift were fantastic. I got the straight model and the quality is fine. It's just we have stairs that are a little more complicated. It's in a walkway so it folds up at the bottom and that's where the complication seems to be in play. My father-in-law can't seem to figure out that he has to stop, wait for the stair part to come down then he go again. He's having a little trouble navigating the stairs. He keeps getting confused and the stairs are beeping. It's frustrating. I wish Bruno had a little picture direction. I would not refer Stairlift model. If the person operating it is an older person, he should have the cognitive ability to use it.

Original review: June 17, 2021

I had a lot of joint pain and I couldn't make my stairs anywhere. I have 13 steps to go up and down to my basement. So getting up and down using the stairlift is a big relief off of my mind. The fellow that came here was very nice. He knew what he was doing. He didn't waste any time. He was very good. I'm very satisfied with him.

Original review: June 12, 2021

The sales rep told me exactly what I wanted to hear and I didn't have any problems with his presentation. The stairlift went back twice the size that I figured it would. The installers did a good job, so I started using it immediately. Now I don't have any difficulty in going up and down the stairs. For those wanting a stairlift, get a company that you can trust. Bruno tells a straight story. Some companies don't work that way.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Company Information