4.8/5 (209 ratings)

About Bruno Independent Living Aids

Bruno is a third-generation, family-owned-and-operated company committed to designing and manufacturing the highest-quality stairlifts and accessibility products to help people with mobility challenges retain their independence. Made-in-USA Bruno stairlifts are manufactured exclusively in Wisconsin, United States - and proudly installed by local experts who live in, support and serve their local communities.

Pros

• High weight capacity
  • Good warranty
  • Affordable option available

Cons

• Only available through dealers

Bottom Line

Bruno Independent Living has a good range of stair lifts, with important safety features and some stylish options. Though the curved models have fewer aesthetic options, they are still compatible with most staircases.

Top Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

So far, so good. It is safe, and there’s no problem learning how to use it. I just push the button and ride. I feel much better in my home with the Bruno stairlift. I will highly ...

Bruno stair lift models

Bruno Independent Living manufactures all their stair lifts in the USA. For those wondering how to install a Bruno stair lift, you don’t need to worry about having technical expertise — only official dealers and authorized technicians can and should install a Bruno stair lift. Bruno stair lift batteries are rechargeable, so the stair lifts can run even during a power outage.

Bruno indoor stair lifts

• Elan Stair Lift (300 lbs capacity): The Elan Stair Lift, also known as the SRE 3000, is Bruno’s most popular stair lift model. One great feature of the Elan is that it can be continually charged, not just at the top or the bottom of the railing like some models from other companies. You can also flip the seat up, so it’s out of the way and doesn’t obstruct the stairs. Installed safety sensors will stop the stair lift in the case of an obstruction on the stairs. The Elan is battery-powered, so it functions during a power outage.
  • Elite Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Stair Lift is a step up from the Elan model. While the Elan is perfectly functional and works well, the Elite can be customized to fit with your home’s decor. You can choose from various options for the seat upholstery and the power chair railing. The Elite model also has a higher weight capacity, at 400 lbs. Like the Elan, it can charge all along the strip, not just at the top and bottom of the landing. It also can fold up so it’s out of the way for people who don’t need to use it. With the Elite, you can also opt for a larger footrest or larger seat. Power swiveling is another option.
  • Elite Curved Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Curved Stair Lift is similar to the original Elite Stair Lift but made for curved stairs. It is also chargeable from anywhere on the stairs, has a safety feature to come to a stop if it senses an obstruction, has a power swivel option and can fold up and out of the way if needed. Unlike the other units, you can remove the lift from the stairs when it’s not in use; however, there is no option to have a painted rail or other custom options.

Bruno outdoor stair lifts

• Elite Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Outdoor Elite has been made to withstand even the most extreme conditions, ranging from 0 degrees to 125 degrees Fahrenheit. Weatherproof features include the use of durable paint on all steel surfaces as well as a complimentary sun, snow and water-resistant cover. The Outdoor Elite can flip up out of the way of the stairs and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction blocking its path. You can think of the Elite Outdoor Stair Lift as a twin to the indoor Elite Stair Lift, just with features designed to make it compatible for the outdoors.
  • Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): Like the indoor Curved Stair Lift, the Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift is custom made for outdoor landscapes that don’t have straightforward stairwells. The curved Elite outdoor model has a power swivel and weatherproof paint. It can fold up and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction. It also is resistant to a wide range of temperatures and comes with a cover.
ModelWeight capacityBest feature
Elan Stair Lift300 lbsLow price
Elite Stair Lift400 lbsStylish upholstery and rail options
Elite Curved Stair Lift400 lbsWorks with almost any type of curved staircase
Elite Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsWeather-resistant paint and cover
Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsCustomizable to wide range of outdoor arrangements

Bruno stair lift cost

Bruno Independent Living doesn’t advertise prices on its website. You’ll have to reach out to them directly to obtain a quote. Generally, stair lifts in the United States can cost between $2,000 and $10,000. A straight stair lift will cost less, and a curved stair lift will cost more. The Bruno Elite stair lift price is higher than that of the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most basic model. If you’re looking for a bargain, it’s best to check out the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most popular purchase. Financing is available for Bruno stair lifts.

Bruno stair lifts also come with a warranty. Indoor straight stairlifts have a lifetime warranty on the major components, like the gearbox, motor, drivetrain and rail. The major components on outdoor and curved stair lifts have a 5-year warranty. All other components on every stair lift have a 2-year warranty. There is also a 30-day labor coverage after installation in the case of a manufacturing defect. These warranties are only valid if the stair lift is installed by an authorized Bruno dealer.

Do we recommend Bruno Independent Living?

We recommend Bruno Independent Living stair lifts. They have a good selection of both indoor and outdoor stair lifts. The safety features and rechargeable batteries are a plus. Bruno has a long history of reliability, and you can rest assured going with them for your stair lift is a great decision.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

We have a two-story house. My husband was very ill and was pretty much living on one floor. He was basically too weak to take the stairs. Also, my kitchen is on the other floor. I was going crazy running up and down the stairs so I killed my knees. We started researching products and the distributor for Bruno here popped up first. We had a great sales rep and he was very helpful.

Two women did the installation and I was very impressed. I was very proud of them. Ours is a very much custom-made heavy thing and it was complicated. It took pretty much all day but they did great. The video and pictures online were pretty right on, except for the installation. As elegant as the rail look, the bracket used to put it in with what must be 100 steel bolts on our stairs is beyond not pretty. I was joking with my daughter and said, “It’s like having the Golden Gate Bridge in my house.” The track looks great. It matches the beige wall and the carpet. But all those bolts are really ugly. I was offered some paint to cover those. But that'll make it even tackier-looking.

My husband died a few days before the stairlift was put in. But he was hopeful that that would have helped him get to treatment. I have been trying to see if I can get my knees to recover from the months of trauma I inflicted on them. I have not used the stairlift as much as I would have earlier on. But it reassures me that if my knees don't really recover, I'll still be able to get up and down.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I had a Bruno stairlift for 16 years, and it was fine. I just got a new one. I like them. The rep I just dealt with was professional. I went back and forth between the salesperson and the technician who installed it, so I wasn't sure which person I was gonna talk to the next time I talk to them. The tech was very amiable. We had a problem originally, and he came back and fixed it. So, I'm completely happy with it now. I got the straight indoor stairlift. I have a wide stairwell so it leaves plenty of room for people to go up and down.

I preferred some of the features on the old one as opposed to the new one. The new one is the Elan. The older model had a padded armrest, and the new one doesn't. On the new one, the arms are bowed out farther, which wasn't necessary. Also, I don't care for the new up and down switch on the arm. It looks like a bird's tail fin sticking out there. It looks like it would be easy for someone to catch and break off. The old rocker switch was just fine. I enjoyed that one.

I would recommend Bruno to a friend because the quality is high. However, they have a bad design in the rail because when it was first installed and went up and down, you expect it to be smooth and quiet and it sounded like someone banging on a tin can with a metal spoon. It rattled all the way up and down. It was driving me nuts. I talked to the installer, and he said, "Well, they have a crimping tool to address that." It was 30 days out on order, but he did get it within two weeks of his original installation. He brought it and worked on it with that tool and it quieted it. If it was designed correctly, it wouldn't make that noise the first time that they went up and down. So, I was kind of disappointed in that but it's working okay and it's quiet now, so the problem was solved.

Original review: March 10, 2022

I called Bruno and gave the rep some information about what I wanted. Within half an hour, this guy from Independence called me, who was right here. I live in West Salem. Independence is less than a half hour away. And he said, “Yeah, Bruno, we are the installer. If you wanted me to, I could come over this morning and figure out and give you an estimate.” I said, “Sure. Come on over.” I knew right away this is who I wanted. He was so straightforward. It was a deal, and it’s battery operated. It has a little trickle charger. I didn't have to do anything with my electricity. I had three stairlifts put in, and he said, “And we’d probably haven't done in half a day or at least within the day, definitely.” And he showed me everything and there was only one permit charge, not for each stair lift. That was it. And I said I’d go with it.

It wasn't even two weeks, they were here and put the stairlifts in less than half a day, did a wonderful job, and showed me exactly how to operate them. One didn't work quite right and the guy came out and fixed it. They forgot to change the speed on it. But they were fabulous. I love them. I should have done it a long time ago. It's a very serviceable thing. I love the way it folds up. It's grand. I use my home now. I went up and down the stairs before, but my knees were killing me. Now, I don't even think about when I want to go downstairs and do something. And it gives me a better access to my patio and the outdoors below. It has impacted my life favorably. One of my neighbors is having one in the coast and one up at their house put in, and I told him, “You gotta contact Bruno. Don't you dare go with Acorn." He's in the process of talking to Bruno. And my other friends I've showed it to were all very impressed.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

The rep came out and looked at the two options, either taking it up the left side, going up to the top and curving it back so that I could transfer off, or put it up the right side and run it straight out where I could transfer off to keep it away from the top of the stairs. The previous lift that I had just went to the very top. I would pivot around to stand up and I always had the feeling that I might tumble down the stairs. The rep suggested that it was better on the right-hand side. When you turned around to the left, there was a little hallway that went out into the room over the garage. It was a little congested there to try and have the lift and my scooter there at the same time.

They did a great job during the installation. They showed me that you can turn off the lift underneath if you want to work on it. I like that it charges at the top and at the bottom, but it doesn't charge in-between. The last one, it had to go down at the bottom to be charging. That position kind of obstructed the stairway. When they got the Bruno stairlift installed, it was too high for me to transfer out of my chair so they took it out and reinstalled it all over again so it was closer to the ground. I would recommend the 101 Mobility people. They made everything right and weren't standing around with their hands out for the rest of the money until everything was perfect. They had had trouble with the remote control though. It wouldn't get it up to the top of the lift. The remote control was not quite powerful enough. They had to put a booster on it because I went to run it up the day after I got it and it only went up about halfway. I wish that somebody would get the remote controls fixed.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I called Bruno and asked for them to come for an estimate. The rep asked a bit about what we had, because there's a bigger price differential if you have curved stairs versus not. And we don't have curved, so that wasn't an issue. He came and showed me their product, and gave me an estimate. He showed us the literature and talked about it. I asked him some questions about the battery, and how the stairlift works. He told us that he wouldn't call us back, that he is not a high-pressure salesperson, that if we chose to go with it, he would wait for our call. We talked it over. In a day or two later, we decided to go ahead with it. He gave us an estimate, and that estimate was what it was. So, it was good.

The tech did well. But I thought he would show us how to use the stairlift, like have my mother sit on it. My mom said he offered, but she declined. The tech only offered after I asked him to show how it works. He showed me without her in it. So, we worked through it afterwards and everything went well. The only issue we are having and we couldn't figure it out is why every once in a while, when my mother starts to go up the steps, the stairlift seems sluggish. She puts the arms down, sits in it, presses the lever but it doesn't go. So she jiggles the arms and tries it again, then it goes. If it gets to be a big of a hassle, I might call Bruno to ask them to come and see why. Also, my mom is short. The tech said the stairlift is at the standard level that he hasn't had anyone needed and they adjusted it differently. I thought we would need to call him back to have him lower it. But my mom just realized she wasn't sitting far enough back into the seat. Once she did that, it worked out well.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

The rep and the installation techs were fine gentlemen. The techs put the rails together. Having the chairlift makes heading for the basement easier. I'm enjoying it.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2022

The reps were wonderful and Bruno is a very good brand. That's the brand of the lift that we had in our van. The stairlift fits very well into our stairwell and I'm very pleased with it. I have an open stairwell and I feel so much more secure and safer with the stairlift.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

I love the Bruno stairlift and I'm very happy with it. I like the convenience and it works very well. I get up the stairs and I could turn the chair and do what I need to do. It’s good and I don't have to crawl up the steps.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

The sales rep was awesome. I have a wide stairway so the stairlift fits perfectly. I just collapse it every time I'm through with it so that it takes as little space as possible. The two gentleman who installed it were very friendly and professional, and explained everything clearly. I’m happy with the Bruno stairlift and I show it to a lot of my friends who probably, someday, will have to have one too.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

The fellow that I talked to at Bruno came down and told me that he could do the stairlift for 4,200. It needed some carpentry work at the bottom to make the landing bigger and add a stair down in the other direction. So, he had that done. I was happy with the bid because it was almost 3,000 less what that other guy was talking about. We had to put some stuff downstairs and rather than having to carry it, we put the stuff on there. So it worked well for us. The Bruno stairlift has taken a lot of worry off our mind because every time we went down the stairs, we were nervous. I had to put an extra hand rail in so we'd have two handrails. It was so steep. We didn't go down the stairs very often because of it. So the stairlift made our life easier and relieved a lot of stress from us.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Company Information