4.8/5 (214 ratings)

About Bruno Independent Living Aids

Bruno is a third-generation, family-owned-and-operated company committed to designing and manufacturing the highest-quality stairlifts and accessibility products to help people with mobility challenges retain their independence. Made-in-USA Bruno stairlifts are manufactured exclusively in Wisconsin, United States - and proudly installed by local experts who live in, support and serve their local communities.

Pros

• High weight capacity
  • Good warranty
  • Affordable option available

Cons

• Only available through dealers

Bottom Line

Bruno Independent Living has a good range of stair lifts, with important safety features and some stylish options. Though the curved models have fewer aesthetic options, they are still compatible with most staircases.

Top Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

So far, so good. It is safe, and there’s no problem learning how to use it. I just push the button and ride. I feel much better in my home with the Bruno stairlift. I will highly ...

Bruno stair lift models

Bruno Independent Living manufactures all their stair lifts in the USA. For those wondering how to install a Bruno stair lift, you don’t need to worry about having technical expertise — only official dealers and authorized technicians can and should install a Bruno stair lift. Bruno stair lift batteries are rechargeable, so the stair lifts can run even during a power outage.

Bruno indoor stair lifts

• Elan Stair Lift (300 lbs capacity): The Elan Stair Lift, also known as the SRE 3000, is Bruno’s most popular stair lift model. One great feature of the Elan is that it can be continually charged, not just at the top or the bottom of the railing like some models from other companies. You can also flip the seat up, so it’s out of the way and doesn’t obstruct the stairs. Installed safety sensors will stop the stair lift in the case of an obstruction on the stairs. The Elan is battery-powered, so it functions during a power outage.
  • Elite Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Stair Lift is a step up from the Elan model. While the Elan is perfectly functional and works well, the Elite can be customized to fit with your home’s decor. You can choose from various options for the seat upholstery and the power chair railing. The Elite model also has a higher weight capacity, at 400 lbs. Like the Elan, it can charge all along the strip, not just at the top and bottom of the landing. It also can fold up so it’s out of the way for people who don’t need to use it. With the Elite, you can also opt for a larger footrest or larger seat. Power swiveling is another option.
  • Elite Curved Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Curved Stair Lift is similar to the original Elite Stair Lift but made for curved stairs. It is also chargeable from anywhere on the stairs, has a safety feature to come to a stop if it senses an obstruction, has a power swivel option and can fold up and out of the way if needed. Unlike the other units, you can remove the lift from the stairs when it’s not in use; however, there is no option to have a painted rail or other custom options.

Bruno outdoor stair lifts

• Elite Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Outdoor Elite has been made to withstand even the most extreme conditions, ranging from 0 degrees to 125 degrees Fahrenheit. Weatherproof features include the use of durable paint on all steel surfaces as well as a complimentary sun, snow and water-resistant cover. The Outdoor Elite can flip up out of the way of the stairs and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction blocking its path. You can think of the Elite Outdoor Stair Lift as a twin to the indoor Elite Stair Lift, just with features designed to make it compatible for the outdoors.
  • Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): Like the indoor Curved Stair Lift, the Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift is custom made for outdoor landscapes that don’t have straightforward stairwells. The curved Elite outdoor model has a power swivel and weatherproof paint. It can fold up and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction. It also is resistant to a wide range of temperatures and comes with a cover.
ModelWeight capacityBest feature
Elan Stair Lift300 lbsLow price
Elite Stair Lift400 lbsStylish upholstery and rail options
Elite Curved Stair Lift400 lbsWorks with almost any type of curved staircase
Elite Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsWeather-resistant paint and cover
Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsCustomizable to wide range of outdoor arrangements

Bruno stair lift cost

Bruno Independent Living doesn’t advertise prices on its website. You’ll have to reach out to them directly to obtain a quote. Generally, stair lifts in the United States can cost between $2,000 and $10,000. A straight stair lift will cost less, and a curved stair lift will cost more. The Bruno Elite stair lift price is higher than that of the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most basic model. If you’re looking for a bargain, it’s best to check out the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most popular purchase. Financing is available for Bruno stair lifts.

Bruno stair lifts also come with a warranty. Indoor straight stairlifts have a lifetime warranty on the major components, like the gearbox, motor, drivetrain and rail. The major components on outdoor and curved stair lifts have a 5-year warranty. All other components on every stair lift have a 2-year warranty. There is also a 30-day labor coverage after installation in the case of a manufacturing defect. These warranties are only valid if the stair lift is installed by an authorized Bruno dealer.

Do we recommend Bruno Independent Living?

We recommend Bruno Independent Living stair lifts. They have a good selection of both indoor and outdoor stair lifts. The safety features and rechargeable batteries are a plus. Bruno has a long history of reliability, and you can rest assured going with them for your stair lift is a great decision.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

Bruno has really good reviews. There was another brand but there were issues about parts getting there on time and the difference between it being a US branded product versus an overseas product. There were also some of the concerns with customer service and not getting responses timely or at all. There was also a family friend who gave some insight. They worked for a lift company and knew of the Bruno brand. They said that that was definitely worth the cost in the sense that you get the customer service, the lifetime warranty, and that it's a good brand.

We had an incident with our installation where we had to get another part sent out. The day we got it installed, the seat was going over the gearbox that folds the rail, and somehow, it chewed it up and went over it to where the arm rail wouldn't fold up or down anymore, and the chair was getting stuck. The guys came out to look at it and ordered the parts. It took a couple of weeks, which wasn't bad because for our order, we waited a good couple of months. Now, it's been working fine since we got it replaced. They turned off the rail from folding then made the chair usable as if it was a straight rail. That had an issue where the guy stopped working then a guy came out. The customer service has been great. They responded.

Other than the waiting for the original products to be delivered and installed then the ordering of this part, we haven't had any other issue. We've been nothing but pleased. We have three kids, ages 3 to 18, and they're all using it. It's kind of the attraction and it's holding up well. The cost with Bruno was higher but we knew we were going to need to invest. We needed to buy three sets 'cause that's how many stairs there were, and the Bruno stairlifts are decently quick. It's a long set of stairs and it goes through it in a minute or less.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I have a Curb-Sider from Bruno and this is my second one. The other one was older while this one is updated and takes up less room inside my van. During my purchase, the salesperson at the DME Services store wasn't very knowledgeable. He was saying that they had four connections but I knew that there was a bar underneath and it has a U shape because they were just updating mine and I knew how it hooked it up. It was a little bit different from the one that I had before and it makes it a little bit more difficult for me now. I used to hook it up sitting on the curb and on the one closest to me on that side. And now, I have to do it on the other side, so I can't sit. I have a hard time looking down because then I get vertigo. So, I'm still struggling with it.

I tried it the installer’s way then I tried it my way. And my way getting it in was fine. But getting it out, I had a little bit difficulty trying to do my way. So I went back to the way the installer said and it was fine. It's just going to be harder for me to unhook it off and on because I have nowhere to sit to unhook it off and on. One of the things that I did on my old one was, I took a red marker tape that you use for scrapbooks so that it marked how far the bar went in. So, I knew when I put the thing in and that that was where I put the pin in so that it lined up correctly. And it makes it easier for me to know it was in the right place without doing it. So if there's a way to do that with this new one, that would be great. I just have to do it after the fact and I'm not sure if it's possible for Bruno to do that because I don't know if it would be different on different scooters. It would also be nice if they'd have a plug to charge the scooter in the back. Other than that, I love Bruno.

Original review: May 6, 2021

We liked the installation because I was told that normally the installer attaches them to the wall, or they do something else. Bruno installed ours to our steps. My wife wasn't happy because we got oak flooring and she didn't like that. But I said, "Well, you'll get use out of it. And when I get to the point where I can't walk, I'll get use out of it too." She said, “Okay." She would've had it mounted to the wall, but I've never seen any of them. Even on TV, they’re always mounted to the floor, on the steps. She said, "We paid a lot of money for those oak stair tread and stuff. Well, I can live with it." And before we used to have particleboard shelving and covered it up with carpet. And we took the carpet and the particle board shelving out and they put oak stair tread on top.

The only thing I was unhappy with is when the installers did all the cutting, they left all the metal shavings in my driveway, and I had to go out there and get my blower. I said, "Oh, no big deal." I thought they would be aluminum foil, heck no. They were sharp shards. I picked one up and said, "Oh crap." My grandkids come and visit me and when they get off, they're just wearing their socks all bare-footed. That's why I said, "I want to get this stuff out of here because if the kids can get that stuff on their feet, they're going to come in crying down, "Grandpa, grandpa, I got this stuck on my foot.". So, I just took my blower and blew all that stuff away. Other than that, I got no other complaints. The stairlift works good. My grandkids like the hell out of it, and I do too.

I have a close friend of mine who is a veteran too and had his installed. They wanted to put one when he's going downstairs, because his wife told me he had to scoot in his butt to get downstairs. When there's a severe tornado warning, they said that that's the only way he could get out. But he said it limited the space going up and going down. And mine does too, but I don't worry about it. Now, all I have to worry about is getting in and out of bed, take a shower. I would tell everybody that comes into my house, "Check this out. It has rocket boosters on it. You put it in compound, it goes slow." It only travels at one speed, but it's a plus and they like it. They would say "I gotta get me one of those."

Original review: April 30, 2021

My wife has leg problems, hip problems, and also she's got dementia. So, I wanted to get a chairlift. One of the ladies that came to help out my wife had one at one point in her life, and she gave me Bruno's telephone number. The sales representatives are good. Doug and Mel were super. They know what they're doing. The only thing about the chairlift is it’s too much money. I have about five steps and it's about five feet from end to end. It cost me $3,500. I've got more stairs below that. There are two curves. I would love to have more chairlift, but when I said, “Give me a ballpark," they said, “Around 20 grand.” They priced me out of the market. If they're more like an elevator, maybe they're less money. But you get what you pay for.

I like the chairlift. I had to have one of the installers come back out. It's got all these damn beepers on it like trucks backing up, and it was driving me crazy. What I would recommend is for them to be sure to advise people of those beepers. I had to have the guy come out a few days ago and turn one of those beepers off. I just assumed there were no beepers on it at all. That's the thing I don't like about the design. We don't need these darn things. They're just superfluous.

The only way you can stop that damn thing from beeping is to turn that chairlift back around to its normal up and down position. But that's okay. They can unhook them if I request them to, and they did. ​You can also turn it off. There's a flip switch on it but a handicapped person cannot reach around underneath and behind and turn off that beep because it's very low on the chair itself. If they're going to have that beeper switched, they ought to put it up where a handicapped person can get to it. ​Overall, the service is absolutely wonderful.

Original review: April 27, 2021

About three years ago, we got a stairlift to the basement from a different provider. But we got the Bruno Elite based on the size and weight capacity and we've been happy with that. When we decided to put one in going up to the second floor, we contacted the original people who installed the first one, although we weren't thrilled with them, but it'd be a lot easier to have a single vendor. However, they apparently lost the Bruno franchise and they made an alternative proposal. Then we found out who had the Bruno franchise and talked to them. Theirs was substantially cheaper and it was identical to the model we were already familiar with so we went with them.

We dealt with two people and one was not really equipped to do the sales job. He did not follow up. We talked about the wide seat and payment didn't include that. We almost ended up getting the wrong thing installed because of it. We told them that we didn't want to deal with him anymore and dealt with the more experienced guy. The best part was the installation people and they were so much better than our previous install. They also seemed much more competent and the communication was very good.

There was confusion about what was required because it's a straight stairlift on a stairway that turns at the bottom and there was a discussion that we needed a platform. We started putting that together, but upon actually seeing the experience in the chairlift, it wasn't useful or helpful to have the platform, so that was the only thing. Otherwise, everything was quite good. We're looking right now to have our carpenter install some grab bars at the top and bottom to help my husband get on and off. We have to have the chairlift to figure out where we need to grab. He rides it up and down now, and it's a big improvement over trying to go up the stairs, even without the grips.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

The dealer offered Bruno and they explained the different features. They got the chairlifts in a reasonable amount of time and installed it. The only issue we've had is that the chair has to be swiveled to get in and out on the top of the stairs. That swiveling action is not the easiest for an 86 year old and I haven't talked to them about it. I wish there was an automated way for the chair to swivel instead of manually pushing the chair. But otherwise, it fits pretty well in the stairwell. Also, it seems solidly made. I just got it installed. Let’s see how long it will last.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

It was excellent with the Bruno sales rep. I'm happy with the product and with the people that installed it. They were smart, compassionate and clean.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

The sales representative was very good and the installation was easy and excellent. I like the way the Bruno stairlift works. The only one issue that I've come across so far is that seatbelt is stuck. It locks, one-fourth out. But it's a great stairlift and my mom loves it. It's very easy to operate. It's a big help to us.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

My stairwell is a little narrow, which was why I was concerned initially, but it makes life a lot easier for me. It's serving the purpose and my family is not complaining that it's taking up too much space and inhibiting flow on my stairwell. The installers came on time and finished a little early, and the gentleman told me what the process was going to be. It was an excellent experience. The stairlift has made me sleep a lot better. I'm not so apprehensive about thinking about that I was going to have to engage the stairs every day. There were consecutive days when I had to sleep in my office or in the media room because I couldn't get upstairs or when I was upstairs, I couldn't get downstairs.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2021

The experience with the Bruno reps was fantastic as well as the installation. It didn't take that long and we were amazed. My husband is the one using the stairlift and it was a little jittery on turns. The installers came out before Christmas, rode it and checked it all out. It was a question of new working in and if not, they will come back. It's not a bad thing and it's tiny. But my husband wanted to make sure there wasn't wrong that would get worse. Since the installers came out, it’s been the same but it isn't an issue. It's working fine. We have multiple turns and my husband was hearing a little bitty rumbling on the big turn. But it will work itself out because it's new. He didn't want the stairlift and I was the one fighting for it, watching him struggle to get up the stairs. But now, there isn’t a time he hasn’t used it. He loves it and I love it, because I know that he's not going to tumble down the stairs.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Company Information