4.83/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Bruno is a third-generation family business committed to designing and manufacturing high-quality stairlifts and other products to help people with mobility challenges retain their independence. Bruno stairlifts are manufactured exclusively in Wisconsin, United States.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

881 Bruno Independent Living Aids Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: March 14, 2019

My grandmother had the stairlift from Bruno put in. She will be 99 years old on the 18th of this month. She has a bad hip, she had surgery and she couldn’t walk. I was there when the contractor came and he presented it to her. The main guy who installed the stairlift was great. He came back and inspected it. Everybody did everything they were supposed to. My grandmother got a straight down style and you gotta fold the chair down to get in it. She likes that she could get downstairs. From there if I’m upstairs, I can make it come up to me and I love it. The quality is awesome.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2019

My experience with Bruno Independent Living Aids has been great. I couldn't climb the stairs, so I thought of purchasing a stairlift. I considered Acorn originally, but Bruno was local and the prices were a little cheaper with them. Their sales reps were nice and polite. The installation also went fine and it took the installers a whole day to finish. They showed me how to use the stairlift and made sure I wasn’t making any fatal mistakes too. With the stairlift, I can move up and down the steps, and that means a lot. I use it several times a day, every day. Overall, it was a good idea to purchase the Bruno stairlift. I'm glad I did it.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I purchased a Bruno stairlift and it made it easier for me to get up and down the stairs. I looked at the Bruno and the Acorn and decided they were both very good chairlifts. But in the end, I selected the Bruno. It doesn’t occupy as much of the stair. I researched the subject quite a bit, so I was familiar with the stairlift. And so, I called the company and said that I was interested. I had the dimensions of my stair, and I told them the rough size of it. The person I dealt with said they could do that with just a single stairlift. They make it in an eight-foot length. And so, I got a price, they gave me a written quote, and I decided to do it. I called them, they arranged then for it to be shipped. And once it was built, they made an appointment for people to install it to come out.

The installers were good guys. They did the job with no problem at all and it took them about two and a half hours. We had to have a permit from the city and the chairlift people arranged for that. And then an inspector had to come out when it was installed before we can use it. So, they had called an inspector and arranged for him to be here at noon. They came about 9:00, and got it installed. The inspector came, inspected it, checked it out, operated it, and he signed the slip and then he put tags in on the chairlift with a number on it, which indicates it’s been inspected. I was satisfied with dealing with Bruno. They were very upfront with price, explained everything, and the installation went very well. I would deal with them again.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I share the household with my mother-in-law and for her to get up and down the stairs, I got her a stairlift from Bruno. Initially, I went with a different company and about a week to 10 days before I was due to move in and the installation date was set up, the company called me and said that they were going out of business and I had to find another company and they will refund me. When I asked them how long will it take to get a permit, they told me it will take at least two weeks. I asked them if we can transfer it over since we were a week away from installation. I was then told that they never ordered the permit. They knew that they were not gonna be able to install it at least a week ago and they just called me with a week to 10 days left telling me that it was physically impossible to get another company in here when we were ready to move in.

They were really sorry about it and I told them that they didn’t wanna make the call so they left me high and dry. I asked them who is the biggest company and they told me about one who carried the Bruno stuff. So, I called the lady there and explained what happened. I said that they cannot make miracles but my 81-year-old mother-in-law will either be stuck in her room or try to hobble up and down two large staircases to get in and out of the house. They said that they will get it done as soon as they can and they will order the permit that time. They took what was an absolutely horrendous experience with my first stairlift company and they did the best they could to get it in as quickly as they could. They also kept me informed each step of the way. But, it was beyond their control that we were stuck without a stairlift for an extra week and a half.

They did everything they could to make sure that it was done quickly. The installation went smoothly. All that worked out great and were on time when they said they were gonna be here. However, the real crapper of the whole thing was after I switched to the company that I used, it ended up costing me a few hundred dollars less than the company I thought I was getting a bargain with that went out of business. Bruno was absolutely top-notch and at a really good price. I didn’t feel like I overpaid. Moreover, I had two stair climbers installed because I’m in a three-story unit. One of them would go down but it would not go up. It was in for a couple of weeks and then it quit working. We used the remote control and it worked but the switch in the armrest wouldn’t work.

So, they came out and it turned out it was a motherboard inside of it. Throughout that, their people never left me in the dark. They said that they would order a complete board circuit and it was gonna take a bit. They kept me posted each step of the way and I never felt like I needed to call them and ask what was going on with my order. The service gal who I talked to was just fantastic. She was more concerned about me waiting on stuff than I was at times. Overall, my experience with Bruno was excellent.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Bruno stairlift makes things easier. We are getting older, so we decided we needed a stairlift. The Bruno sales rep that came out was good and the interaction that we had went fine. We had a straight stairlift installed and it fits fine in our stairwell, and there is enough room. I like that the stairlift goes up and down. The quality of the stairlift has been good so far and the cost is fair.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

Original review: March 9, 2019

We needed a stairlift so we wouldn’t fall down the steps. We both can walk now but the kids wanted us to have it. Our son chose Bruno. We’re enjoying it and everything’s been going good. We don’t ever walk up and down the steps now.

Original review: March 8, 2019

My wife had trouble getting up and down the stairs and I decided to get a Bruno stairlift after doing an internet research. I got a straight stairlift and it’s huge and intrusive and blocks the stairwell. Only somebody who’s got a death wish would try to get in the way of that thing. But the installation went excellent and the stairlift has been a good tool for us.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have bad knees and the Bruno stairlift is the one that the store provided that we wanted to go to. During the sales visit the rep explained it to us and the lift works well with the stairlift. The quality is good. So, if it did cost a little bit more, I would pay that for the quality. It’s sturdy. For now the stairlift made it possible, if we’re to stay in this house, to go down the stairs. So if you’re having a hard time with the stairs, get Bruno. We like it and it helps.

Original review: March 7, 2019

A stairlift would make it easier to get up and down the stairs and my son made all the arrangements for buying one. The rep from Bruno was very good and we got a straight stairlift. It fits fine into the stairwell and does what I want it to do. The installation took half a day, and the gentleman was very nice and did a nice job.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I wanted and needed a stairlift and I got the best price from Bruno. Their reps were great. And I liked the crew that put the stairlift in. They did it in a couple hours. My stairlift is of good quality. I’ve been using it every day and it works nicely and smoothly. I’m satisfied. I would tell my friends to get one if they need it.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I love the Bruno stairlift. I always start falling and getting hurt when I get down the stairs so we got it. It gets me up if I want to and gets me down when I need to come out. The reps were very good and they got the chair in and put it all down. They let me try it out and made sure it was all right for my demands. It took a couple of hours to be installed. I’m set with it and it was built well. I’m gonna get good wear and tear out of it.

Original review: March 5, 2019

The stuff that Bruno sells is good. The price was very reasonable and it also seemed like they had a better warranty. The representatives were good, too. I purchased two stairlifts, one for mobility for my wife and recently around Christmas time, I got her another one for going down the basement. The installation crew did fine. We’ve had some battery issue where the batteries had to be replaced. Bruno should give you reasons if you need to call like how the charger’s actually working and what some of the things mean, and when the copper tracks had to be cleaned. You should do maintenance on that, wipe them down, so you don’t get dirt and dust on them, to improve electrical connections.

Original review: March 4, 2019

My mother-in-law couldn’t get up and down the stairs and we were looking to purchase a stairlift. Bruno was a local group and they seemed fine. I called them, they gave me a quote which I liked, and then they came and put in the stairlift. The lift works fine.

Original review: March 3, 2019

Our Bruno stairlift works great and just like they said it would. I have no problems with it at all. Bruno did a good job. They came and did their job efficiently. I had a good experience with them.

Original review: March 2, 2019

The stairlift that Bruno put in works fine for me. I love it now that it takes me up to the steps and back down. The reps who came out were good. The installation was short and fast. I liked Bruno and I'd recommend them.

Original review: March 1, 2019

My husband has had some medical issues where he is very weak and he is not able to go upstairs any longer at this point. The Bruno stairlift was offered through ThedaCare at Home, which is a home nursing and home equipment, durable medical equipment service that our local medical organization has. I called ThedaCare at Home and asked about the stairlift and the rep told me to call a certain number and ask for Ryan. I did that and Ryan happened to be at the building when I called. I talked with him, and he said he would come up to take a look, which he did. He showed me some pictures and gave me a brochure.

I was just gonna buy stairlift, but then we talked about a second stairway that I had. It was the full stairway that goes up to a second level, and he gave me a deal. If I ordered both stairlifts right away, I could save several hundreds of dollars with them having having to come out once, and it would be the same labor. So I told him to put it in. They came out about two days later and installed the stairlifts and showed me how to work it. It's been working ever since, and my husband uses it every day.

The only thing that we weren't excited about or know about was when the chair gets to the bottom of the stairlift rails, it doesn't turn all the way. It just keeps facing one direction because it hits the bumper. It's the bottom of the rail. The component of the chair doesn't allow it to turn outward. When my husband gets to the top of the stairs, then he's got full 180 degrees. He rides up sideways, and when he gets to the top, he pushes a lever and the chair turns, and he's got full access to the room, where when he goes down the steps to the bottom. He can only turn that chair just a very little bit, and then it bumps the bottom of the railing. But manages very well. It's just we thought it would swivel a little more. But it's not a problem. My husband can easily get on and off, and he's got room.

The remotes are great. I use the stairlift all the time for myself to assist me in getting items up and down the stairs. It's quiet and rises very smoothly. It tucks away nicely. It doesn't attach to the wall. I was very happy to know about that, and that if there would be a time when we'd have to remove it, we could easily do that and it wouldn't leave major marks or holes on the wall. It's just the holes that are in the carpet holding it to the stairs. The stairlift has been wonderful. It works like a charm.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

My mother was needing a stairlift and due to the local dealer that's near me, I decided I'd get a Bruno stairlift. If I needed the guy to service the unit, which I've already had, I could call him. Everything was good during the sales visit and the rep who came seemed knowledgeable. I got the straight stairlift and it fits on our stairwell. The team that did the installation was here for 45 minutes and then they were gone. The stairlift has been good so far. It's adequate for what we need and I'm satisfied.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

My wife could no longer climb the stairs very easily because of her illnesses. So, we decided to put in a chairlift. She does very well with it, and I use it some of the time myself. We’ve had it now since sometime in December and we haven’t had any problems with it. We bought it from a company in Rochester. We had to have the extension of the track installed because it comes down into an area that’s near the front door and we don’t want anybody to fall over it. So, we had to have that installed as part of the deal and it works okay. The cost is a little high but we’re satisfied with it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I did quite a bit of research and a whole bunch of factors such as design, dimensions, sizes of things, and quality level made me decide to go with Bruno. The rep came twice although I’m not too local to their office and it’s a good hour and a half drive from their office to where I am. He came down once and went over stuff with me, answered questions, and checked everything out. Then, when I decided to purchase the stairlift, he came back a second time to do the photography and the measurements.

I got a straight Elan lift from my lower level to the first floor, then a curved Elite lift to the second floor. Two guys came to install both lifts. They were here for five hours and they did a great job. It was very workmanlike and neat. The Elan lift is more basic as it's just a straight ride with simpler chair and system. The curved one, on the other hand, is really very nice. The chair is very plush and comfortable. It’s quiet, smooth and fast too. So, I’m very happy with it. The new stairlifts' impact on my life has been very positive. It's nice to know that they're there and available when I wanna use them which is fairly often. Overall, my experience with Bruno was very good.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

My husband fell and broke his leg. He has a rod from the knee to the hip and there is no way for him to go up 13 steps. Fortunately, somebody suggested that we get a stairlift and that I can get it through the VA. The VA got three estimates and they picked Mobility who then put in Bruno. When I told my daughter that the stairlift is Bruno, she said that it is one of the best ones so I was glad.

The customer service is terrific and the person who installed it is the nicest kid. He was efficient and I don't know how much better he could've installed it. We also got the ramp. It's all aluminum and it goes 27 feet down from where my kitchen is. It impressed me so much what this boy did and Bruno should be impressed too. He didn't fool around, did it quickly and cleaned up. He was perfect.

The stairlift has been a blessing for me and my husband. I have to use it too 'cause I couldn't walk. It's working beautifully and we're very grateful to have it. Also, the features are very good. I could do it myself with the arm gadget or somebody could push the button and bring it up while they're at the head of the steps. It's also very sturdy and it does a great job.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My dad was paralyzed and so to be able to get up and down the stairs, we purchased a stairlift. We got the curved one from Bruno Independent and it fit well with our stairwell. It was good quality and it worked great. It made it a lot easier for my dad.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I needed a stairlift because my organ is so weak, I can't climb the stairs. The VA got Bruno so I took what they sent me. The installers were nice. They came in and did it. They also demonstrated how to use the stairlift once it was installed. It fits pretty good in the stairwell and it has helped me a whole bunch. I'm happy with it.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

The VA bought a chairlift for me. It's on the back of my truck and I like it. The Bruno representatives knew what they were doing and anything I wanted to ask, they knew it. Then, two guys worked on it on my truck and I really liked them. There was an incoming storm while we were loading this chair up on my truck and all of us got soaked. So far, the chairlift is sturdy enough for what it’s used for and I like its quality. I also like that I don’t have to load the wheelchair in the back of the truck. But I don’t ride my wheelchair on the lift because the metal doesn't look that thick and I don’t wanna bend it up.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I use the Bruno stairlift daily and I can’t imagine going on without it. I was quite sick for a while, and I didn’t know how I was gonna keep going up and down the stairs. I was trying to get up the stairs and I was caught grasping on to the railing and dragging myself up. It was not a good situation. So, I contacted the Department of Veterans Affairs to see if they could do anything so that I could remain in the house. They came and gave me an assessment, and then they contacted a couple of outfits, wherein Bruno was one of them.

I was quite happy with the choice of going with Bruno. I’ve heard stories about another outfit, too, and I was told that if I had a choice between the two, Bruno would have been the best one to pick. I like being that way. It took quite a while to get the stairlift in place, because somehow, somebody got the ball, and wasn’t doing anything until I started making some phone calls. But once they got here, the stairlift was installed in one day, and I was quite happy with that. The crew that put it in were excellent. Once the stairlift was installed, the crew went through everything and told me what all the lights stand for, and also told me about the fuses.

The Bruno stairlift is a very sturdy item. I’m never worried about anything going wrong with it, including the railing. It’s very well put together. There were times where I was thinking that if I didn’t have the stairlift, I wouldn’t be doing this and that. I was sick to the point where if I got home and brought up a couple of bags of groceries, I had to sit down in a chair to get my strength back. I was just winded. But the Bruno stairlift made all difference in the world, plus my wife uses it as well. I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

The Bruno rep was friendly and willing to help. I got the straight model and the guys that installed it were great. They did it in three hours and then demonstrated how it works. We use the stairlift every day and it's fine. I had a stroke and it's made it easier for me to get around.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

My husband has Parkinson's and the military approved of the Bruno stairlift. The reps explained everything to us and it all sounded like what we wanted. We got the curved stairlift and it fits the stairs very well. The installers demonstrated how it works before they left. Now it's very easy for my husband to get around. He likes the safeness of it and not having to do the stairs. It also feels very sturdy.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

My father does not have the mobility to the stairs. Bruno Independent Living Aids was selected by the VA. My interaction with the company that installed the stairlift was satisfactory. But what I would want next time before we get one, is to see the model. Because the Bruno model that they put in was not like the one that we had before. It also presented a problem the way it was styled. We talked with them about that and it basically ended up there was nothing much they can do about it. But if we had the choice to look at maybe two or three models, we probably would have picked the different model. We didn't pick this one. This is just the one that they picked and put in.

The issue is that, because the way the chair fits, it doesn't fit back in the same position that the other chair used to fit, which makes a tight squeeze with the knees once my father gets into it. And so to put him on it and flip him around in it, it is really close. And his knees sort of hit up against the other side of the wall. We talked to them about that. But they are asking if my father can scoot back more. He was back where he could be and he doesn't have the mobility to be trying to scoot all around in a chair anyway. Plus it's noisy when it's going up and down the steps. We're dissatisfied with this stairlift from Bruno.

Bruno Independent Living Aids response

Thank you for making us aware of your concerns.Our stairlifts are extremely quiet and Bruno straight stairlifts fit closest to the wall of any in the industry, so there should be plenty of open room on the steps. We'll be contacting you to hear more details and see how we can help.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

My husband had no access to the upper level of our house where our bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom are located. He uses a walker and the stair steps is almost impossible for him to do. So, we decided to get a stairlift. We had help with the VA and they provided us with a stairlift from Bruno. We had someone come and measure here and they did a good job. The installation team was perfect, too. They took care of everything. We got a curved stairlift and it fits the stairwell very well. It’s very substantial and it has made it possible for my husband to access the upper level of our home without suffering through a large number of steps. The stairlift also made it very easy for him to go up and down and get out of the house. He feels very comfortable when he is riding in it.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I needed a stairlift and Bruno seemed to be the most efficient, effective, and exactly what I needed. We got a curved, indoor stairlift and it goes from the first to the second floor. It is excellent in quality. The installers took five hours to install everything. Having the Bruno stairlift affected my life superiorly. I recommended it to a friend and he bought one.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

My husband is a veteran who had a hip surgery and prostate cancer and has a pacemaker. We have stairs to our basement where we have a washer and dryer and it's easier to use a lift than walking since it's almost really hard to walk. We heard that the Bruno brand is really good and then we had great interactions with the representatives. The salesperson explained everything and the installer was a nice, young man who did a great job. For older people to deal with someone like that is good, and Bruno's got a good product too. The stairlift works fine and I use it a little bit even though I can still walk down the stairs. My husband uses it primarily. He'd got out of breath with the pacemaker and the hip thing he had 2 or 3 years ago, but the stairlift just makes a difference in the stamina that his body has. I also haven't seen him have any problems with it. So, Bruno has been excellent.

Bruno Independent Living Aids expert review by Shelley Webb

Bruno is a premier American stairlift manufacturer dedicated to helping people with limited mobility easily access all levels of their home. Family-owned Bruno, offers indoor and outdoor, straight and custom-curve stairlift that fit every staircase, lifestyle and budget.

• Made in USA: All Bruno stairlifts are engineered and manufactured in Wisconsin, USA.

• Vertical rail design: Bruno’s exclusive vertical rail design enables the stairlift to be installed close to the wall, leaving maximum open space on steps.

• Covered gear rack: Bruno’s covered gear rack gives each stair lift a sleek, clean appearance. It also protects the rack from damage and keeps grandchildren and pets from catching on it.

• Straight or Custom Curved: In addition to Bruno’s popular straight stairlift, Bruno’s curved stair lifts are custom crafted for an exact fit to your staircase.

• High-capacity lift choices: Bruno’s stair lifts feature lift capacities up to 400 pounds.

• Five-year limited warranty: The stairlift motor, rail and gearbox are under Bruno warranty for five years; parts are covered for two years.

• Best for: people with limited mobility due to age or chronic condition.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Company Information