4.82/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Bruno is a third-generation family business committed to designing and manufacturing high-quality stairlifts and other products to help people with mobility challenges retain their independence. Bruno stairlifts are manufactured exclusively in Wisconsin, United States.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Video
Bruno Independent Living Aids Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Bruno Independent Living has a good range of stair lifts, with important safety features and some stylish options. Though the curved models have fewer aesthetic options, they are still compatible with most staircases.

PROS

• High weight capacity
  • Good warranty
  • Affordable option available

CONS

• Only available through dealers

Top Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

06/04/2019

So far, so good. It is safe, and there’s no problem learning how to use it. I just push the button and ride. I feel much better in my home with the Bruno stairlift. I will highly recommend it.

05/24/2019

With the stairlift, my mom sits and goes up and down and the stairs comfortably. I love the stairlift and right now, everything is working well.

Bruno stair lift models

Bruno Independent Living manufactures all their stair lifts in the USA. For those wondering how to install a Bruno stair lift, you don’t need to worry about having technical expertise — only official dealers and authorized technicians can and should install a Bruno stair lift. Bruno stair lift batteries are rechargeable, so the stair lifts can run even during a power outage.

Bruno indoor stair lifts

• Elan Stair Lift (300 lbs capacity): The Elan Stair Lift, also known as the SRE 3000, is Bruno’s most popular stair lift model. One great feature of the Elan is that it can be continually charged, not just at the top or the bottom of the railing like some models from other companies. You can also flip the seat up, so it’s out of the way and doesn’t obstruct the stairs. Installed safety sensors will stop the stair lift in the case of an obstruction on the stairs. The Elan is battery-powered, so it functions during a power outage.
  • Elite Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Stair Lift is a step up from the Elan model. While the Elan is perfectly functional and works well, the Elite can be customized to fit with your home’s decor. You can choose from various options for the seat upholstery and the power chair railing. The Elite model also has a higher weight capacity, at 400 lbs. Like the Elan, it can charge all along the strip, not just at the top and bottom of the landing. It also can fold up so it’s out of the way for people who don’t need to use it. With the Elite, you can also opt for a larger footrest or larger seat. Power swiveling is another option.
  • Elite Curved Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Curved Stair Lift is similar to the original Elite Stair Lift but made for curved stairs. It is also chargeable from anywhere on the stairs, has a safety feature to come to a stop if it senses an obstruction, has a power swivel option and can fold up and out of the way if needed. Unlike the other units, you can remove the lift from the stairs when it’s not in use; however, there is no option to have a painted rail or other custom options.

Bruno outdoor stair lifts

• Elite Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Outdoor Elite has been made to withstand even the most extreme conditions, ranging from 0 degrees to 125 degrees Fahrenheit. Weatherproof features include the use of durable paint on all steel surfaces as well as a complimentary sun, snow and water-resistant cover. The Outdoor Elite can flip up out of the way of the stairs and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction blocking its path. You can think of the Elite Outdoor Stair Lift as a twin to the indoor Elite Stair Lift, just with features designed to make it compatible for the outdoors.
  • Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): Like the indoor Curved Stair Lift, the Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift is custom made for outdoor landscapes that don’t have straightforward stairwells. The curved Elite outdoor model has a power swivel and weatherproof paint. It can fold up and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction. It also is resistant to a wide range of temperatures and comes with a cover.
ModelWeight capacityBest feature
Elan Stair Lift300 lbsLow price
Elite Stair Lift400 lbsStylish upholstery and rail options
Elite Curved Stair Lift400 lbsWorks with almost any type of curved staircase
Elite Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsWeather-resistant paint and cover
Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsCustomizable to wide range of outdoor arrangements

Bruno stair lift cost

Bruno Independent Living doesn’t advertise prices on its website. You’ll have to reach out to them directly to obtain a quote. Generally, stair lifts in the United States can cost between $2,000 and $10,000. A straight stair lift will cost less, and a curved stair lift will cost more. The Bruno Elite stair lift price is higher than that of the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most basic model. If you’re looking for a bargain, it’s best to check out the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most popular purchase. Financing is available for Bruno stair lifts.

Bruno stair lifts also come with a warranty. Indoor straight stairlifts have a lifetime warranty on the major components, like the gearbox, motor, drivetrain and rail. The major components on outdoor and curved stair lifts have a 5-year warranty. All other components on every stair lift have a 2-year warranty. There is also a 30-day labor coverage after installation in the case of a manufacturing defect. These warranties are only valid if the stair lift is installed by an authorized Bruno dealer.

Do we recommend Bruno Independent Living?

We recommend Bruno Independent Living stair lifts. They have a good selection of both indoor and outdoor stair lifts. The safety features and rechargeable batteries are a plus. Bruno has a long history of reliability, and you can rest assured going with them for your stair lift is a great decision.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

Our Bruno stairlift is not what I thought it'd be. It's kinda clunky but it works. It's got the retractable arm that goes down to our basement floor, and the way it goes is that it goes down and stops, and you can't do it any other way that that arm goes out, or you can have it frozen down there, but once you get down to the bottom, the part that extends is not directly aligned and supported like the main rail. When you get to the bottom, you kinda tilt forward to go down the rest of the way. Maybe it's because there's carpet there and that's causing the trouble of it. Also, once it comes back up, it stops, and then it goes up, and then it kinda sounds like gears are grinding together for a little bit before you get to the top. We got a split entry three years ago that they put in on the upper floor to the front door, and we've been using that and that's been pretty good and not too much of a problem at all.

Maybe Bruno hasn't got it perfected enough so it runs smooth and everything, and I can't do anything about it. It does get us down to where we could take showers and do our laundry, which is downstairs. It's just that I figured it'd be a much smoother operation for $7,500. I called them, and I talked to a technician. They said, "Everything is fine. Don't worry about the grinding." So, I can't do anything more. The guy suggested when he would do it, "Well, we could just make it two pieces and like your other one will go all the way down the basement floor." But I was worried if we had to replace the carpets or vacuum. It just sticks out there.

I was wondering if it still bothers us later, maybe we could put one rail all the way down. The upper stairs wasn't going down. They had to cut in the middle to make the length from top to the bottom. I asked them, "Why can't you just get one to order, one whole piece from the factory, so you don't have to slice it in the middle to make the right length?" They said they can't. I used to work with sheet metal and stuff, and I don't see where it would be so prohibitive. I just gotta go with what they say. We haven't had it in very long, so we haven't had any problems. It's just that I feel like I'm tilting forward and gonna fall out a little bit because of the angle when it goes down there. Otherwise, it gets us down there and I'm so grateful we don't have to move, so that we can go up and down the stairs. That's a blessing in itself.

I am so grateful that I've got something to take me down there, and Bruno was really nice. I would recommend Bruno. The chair works really good. They serviced it too and just checked it out when they put in the other part there. I like the chair. It's hefty and it looks like it's not flimsy. It looks to be of very good quality. If somebody wanted one put in, I could give them some recommendation. It's a good set-up.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I'm 82 and my husband is 85, and we both have issues off and on with walking. The time is going to come when we're gonna have major issues. We live in a two-story house and we didn't wanna move. When there's no more coming in other than social security, the cost of a stairlift is high but it is cheaper than moving and living an assisted living.

Someone had told me that Bruno was the best and I really didn't know if it was or wasn't. But when I called Acorn and asked where prices started because we're on a limited income, the man yelled at me and said, "$5,000!" It was attitude and that just turned me off right there. I realized they're not cheap, but I didn't want them to yell at me either.

I called Bruno and a young man, Billy, came to the house and went through it. We did a lot of this on the computer and went back and forth. Billy answered every question and he was very gracious. It didn't matter what time I called him or he called here. We became friends over this whole transaction. We had an easy relationship. It was very comfortable. He is a very personable young man and I would recommend him highly.

My husband wanted to make sure we didn't have any termite problems before they put this in. We didn't wanna take it out if we have problems so we had to do that first. Billy let me know if he had a problem about changing dates and whatnot and took care of that. Then they came out and did it in one day. They told us what to do and how to do it, which I promptly forgot. I had to call him and asked him to come back out. I realized what I was doing wrong as soon as he showed me what I was doing wrong. I said, "Well, now, do you want me to throw away your phone number?" He said no in case I needed him again.

Everything's fine 'till we get to the top. If you're going up the stairs, you have a railing. You get to the part where the second floor is the ceiling then creates a problem because you have the banister that comes out into the stairwell. The stairlift narrows it down. Other than that, it's fine. We park it at the top primarily because I don't want either one of us falling down. I want us to know where it is every time too. Even though that's the narrowest part of the stairway, it's still the best place for it to be parked for us. We can't have it permanently on the floor. It has the full back up, but it still sticks out. The first time the great-grandkids came over, I put a fence around it so that they could see it. I didn't want them to trip on there.

We've already recommended Bruno and I'm looking forward to staying here in our home. The stairlift is also wonderful for taking the laundry up and down. I've learned to pull the laundry basket behind me like a toy. My husband would take it up two steps at a time and lay it on the step on the stairs. The stairlift is wonderful 'cause I haven't figured out a way to pick things up that are on a hanger. On a different note, something that Bruno might think about doing is the CD that Acorn sent. It was really great to show you what it does, how you do it and so forth. Bruno doesn't do anything like that and I really relied on that CD to learn about Bruno.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I share the household with my mother-in-law and for her to get up and down the stairs, I got her a stairlift from Bruno. Initially, I went with a different company and about a week to 10 days before I was due to move in and the installation date was set up, the company called me and said that they were going out of business and I had to find another company and they will refund me. When I asked them how long will it take to get a permit, they told me it will take at least two weeks. I asked them if we can transfer it over since we were a week away from installation. I was then told that they never ordered the permit. They knew that they were not gonna be able to install it at least a week ago and they just called me with a week to 10 days left telling me that it was physically impossible to get another company in here when we were ready to move in.

They were really sorry about it and I told them that they didn’t wanna make the call so they left me high and dry. I asked them who is the biggest company and they told me about one who carried the Bruno stuff. So, I called the lady there and explained what happened. I said that they cannot make miracles but my 81-year-old mother-in-law will either be stuck in her room or try to hobble up and down two large staircases to get in and out of the house. They said that they will get it done as soon as they can and they will order the permit that time. They took what was an absolutely horrendous experience with my first stairlift company and they did the best they could to get it in as quickly as they could. They also kept me informed each step of the way. But, it was beyond their control that we were stuck without a stairlift for an extra week and a half.

They did everything they could to make sure that it was done quickly. The installation went smoothly. All that worked out great and were on time when they said they were gonna be here. However, the real crapper of the whole thing was after I switched to the company that I used, it ended up costing me a few hundred dollars less than the company I thought I was getting a bargain with that went out of business. Bruno was absolutely top-notch and at a really good price. I didn’t feel like I overpaid. Moreover, I had two stair climbers installed because I’m in a three-story unit. One of them would go down but it would not go up. It was in for a couple of weeks and then it quit working. We used the remote control and it worked but the switch in the armrest wouldn’t work.

So, they came out and it turned out it was a motherboard inside of it. Throughout that, their people never left me in the dark. They said that they would order a complete board circuit and it was gonna take a bit. They kept me posted each step of the way and I never felt like I needed to call them and ask what was going on with my order. The service gal who I talked to was just fantastic. She was more concerned about me waiting on stuff than I was at times. Overall, my experience with Bruno was excellent.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

My mom had fallen and she did physical therapy but it hurt her further. She needed to get out of the house but she couldn’t. My husband and I were trying to help her get a company to come and install a stairlift. When my mom had some work done in the house, a construction man said he saw a house that had a nice stairlift, so he gave me the name of the company, Benchmark Home Elevator, out of Napa, California that sells Bruno stairlifts. Bruno was good, but I dealt with Benchmark and they were terrific.

I interviewed three different stairlift companies before and it was not a good experience. The sales people were like car salesmen and they hemmed and hawed. Some of them wouldn’t get back to me unless I asked them. But when the guy selling Bruno stairlifts came in, he was cut-and-dry and knowledgeable. We went to the back stairs, but it was too small and narrow, and he knew there would be problems. He did his job and he was straightforward in giving us the price. He said he could make the cost higher and then give a percentage so we would think that we were getting something for nothing, but he just gave us the cost and the payments were straightforward. It was a fair price and I didn’t feel like he was trying to nickel-and-dime us. He didn’t make so much and it was an honest, fair way of doing the sale. That was the smoothest thing that we ever went through with him.

It really made me feel good when the guy said that Bruno's product is American-made and wasn’t coming from China. He told us what we needed that would be good for my mom, which was the basic stairlift, and that was what he put on the outside for people. He made it so easy and didn't give any options to make me confused. Everything he said that was gonna happen did happen. He said the stairlift was gonna come between six and seven weeks, and it did. He and his partner came and put the stairlift in. The installation and the cleanup were good. Sometimes, though, when I press the button for my mom to go down, the stairlift stops midway and I’m not sure if I’m doing it wrong with the button or if the stairlift is supposed to stop sometimes while going down.

The Bruno stairlift is a good product with material that looks good and Benchmark is a very good company. I tell people not to waste their time and interview anybody else if they ever need a stairlift. Unfortunately, though, we got the curved stairlift and it cost us more. But Benchmark did a good job fitting it into our strairwell. But my mom doesn't use the footrest because she has a hard time bending her legs. It's too bad they don’t have a longer footrest that juts out more, but the guy said that would not be advisable for our curved stairlift and the footrest is only one size, so I just put the footrest up and my mom dangles her feet a bit.

I like the quality of our stairlift, although I wish it could make another right-hand turn to move the chair to the right. The guy said it just stops and can’t go the other way, and we have to get up from that point. We've made it work, but that turn would have made it easier for mom. The stairlift is beautiful, though, and one of my friends saw it and said that it looks like it came with the house. We're really happy with it and it is the best thing we ever did. It's the best thing for me and my mom that I can take her out to the doctor and out to lunch once in a while, and I can get her out of the house if there is an emergency. So, our Bruno stairlift has given us options in our life.

The stairlift is worth every penny that we paid and its cost was the best money that we spent. The stairlift saved the day because I couldn’t get my mom medical help before as I couldn’t take her to appointments with the doctors and the doctors would not come over to the house. I tried services to get her out of the house before, but they charged too much and we didn’t know if we were getting professionals. But Bruno is a good company with a nice stairlift and we love them.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I had a spinal surgery back in August and it’s gonna be about eight months from then before I would be able to navigate a set of stairs easily. Unfortunately, there’s no way to get to the main level in my house without going up into the stairs. So we knew, going into it, that we were gonna have to make some concession. We didn’t know exactly what we were gonna do so we had one vendor come out and look. The staircase in my house is odd as well since it’s very steep and narrow. The first guy who came out and looked at it said he didn’t believe it would be possible so we put that decision aside. A friend of mine, who's got MS and has been slowly degrading over time, had a stairlift put in in her townhouse a couple months ago and she suggested we call the folks from Access Ability. They came out, looked at it, and said that they thought they could do it, so we went forward.

Hayden, who I believe is one of the co-owners of Access Ability, did some measurements, took photographs, and made some basic sketches. We discussed what would have to happen and what would be done. Because of the nature of how my stairwell is built, we ended up having to go with a rail that had a fold-up extension at the end. We discussed the advantages of that as well as the option of a manual folding or an automatic folding rail, and we also talked about what the price range would potentially be. He said that he would get the information over to the interviewers at Bruno, and they would get back with him about what kind of equipment we need and give a set of instructions.

After about a week, Hayden had some difficulty. It was right in the middle of a hurricane coming through and since they do in-home elevators, they had some homes here that had gotten flooded and damaged elevators, so he was busy. But once he got the information up to Bruno, the interviewers came back and they didn’t believe that it was possible. They said that they didn’t think that it would work, given what he sent them. He passed that information along to us and it was discouraging reading the email. When we read the email, we realized that he had made assumptions that were incorrect. He thought we had wanted the lift rail to be on one side of the stairwell but we actually wanted it on the other side. The rail blocks off the access to one of the rooms in our house, but it doesn’t matter if we go in that room.

I ran Hayden back and asked if he could come out so we can talk about it again because we were talking about two different things. He came out, we talked about it again, and I pointed out what he said. So he went back in and gained some updated information. About two days later, he contacted me and said that they had all the mechanical drawings back. They required a deposit before they ordered the equipment from Bruno, so we sent over a check. It was 10 days from the day we sent the check until the day the stairlift was installed, and it was very quick.

Access Ability came out and got the stairlift installed. They got here about 9:00 or 10:00 o’clock that morning and then left around 4:00. It was a little more difficult than they had anticipated. They had a couple of places where they had to back up and make a little change here and there. Hayden has been very professional and knowledgeable about how the things would work and being able to look at the problem and extrapolate the equipment onto the problem. During the installation, there was something he didn’t feel was quite right and he couldn’t figure out how the engineers had intended for it to work. He was able to take his phone and call directly to the engineering department at Bruno, speak with one of the engineers directly right then, and worked through the problem. He took a picture and sent it to the guy. The engineering department assisted and was involved in coming up with a solution for the unique problem we had.

Hayden had immediate access to the person or persons that he needed to talk to in order to fix the problem right then and that is not something that happens every day. Bruno supported and followed through where so many companies don’t have these days. That is unique and impressive because otherwise, the installers had to ditch and then come back the next day. Of course, one more day is not another big deal but it certainly was much more satisfying to have the installation all done in one day. It even makes me confident that if I ever have a problem down the road and even if Hayden is not involved or they’ve gone out of business, Bruno would be able to support that person or me in doing whatever I needed doing.

In the end, the Bruno lift works great and it does exactly what I need it to do. I’m very happy with it. It can survive a lot of stuff and seems to be a very well-made and precision piece of equipment. I knew the majority of what we were talking about on it since I once had a job with a company that does wheelchair and medical equipment repair. The only thing that I wasn’t expecting was the folding rail stuff as I had never seen that before. When I fold down the part of the rail, I expected that there would be a big clunk but there isn't. It’s like a little thing where I barely feel it.

What's more, it’s amazing how the other people who came out were convinced that a stairlift wasn’t gonna work just because our stairwell is extremely steep and narrow, and they didn’t think they would be able to get adequate support for it. But the Bruno feels as stable as anything. I’m a big guy, about 340 pounds, and I don’t feel like it moves or shifts,or has any chance of doing anything at all when I’m going up and down it.

Having the stairlift has been a huge mental boost. My bedroom, my office, the kitchen, the primary living area is all upstairs. When I came home from the hospital, we put a bed in a spare room that has a full bath attached to it downstairs. My wife was bringing down everything I needed and it was really frustrating to live there for a month. Now, it's been a huge advantage to be back at the part of the house where we normally live. I came in a wheelchair after surgery and rehabilitation, and I’m getting better and improving dexterity every day. I’m using a cane to get around mostly but I still have a long way to go. It would be hard to go up the steps if I really tried. It would be dangerous and stupid. To have the freedom to get that big block out of the way allowed me to focus on some of the other things I needed to do rather than to sit, drool, and mope in the thought of being stuck in one room.

The Bruno lift also costs a lot less than some of the other options we got. We've had people come out and talk about putting in an external wheelchair lift that comes out into our back deck, or putting in a ramp. We were looking at 10 or $12,000 for those options but the Bruno came in under $6,000. Overall, Bruno does some stuff that has a dramatic impact on people’s lives. Because of that, they know where they need to be and they make sure that they’re gonna be that way. You can be confident that if things are put in, things are gonna be put in right and they’re gonna work right.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

My legs are weak. I had two straight Bruno stairlifts installed, one from the downstairs to the kitchen and one to the bathroom and bedrooms upstairs. They were expensive, but they will be worth it in the long run.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Everything is working out perfectly with Bruno. When I searched on the internet, they were the number one and I wanted the best. We got a straight stairlift, so it was easy. Its price was reasonable as well. There was one little issue with the wire that wasn't connected so it didn't work initially. But the technician figured it out and everything has been fine since. The stairlift is doing everything it's supposed to do.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I've had Bruno for 30 years and needed to purchase a stairlift. Everybody I talked to was reliable and explained everything very well. With the stairlift, I don’t have to move out of my home and move into some two-room apartment. I've recommended Bruno to several people.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I have mobility problems and a friend told me that Bruno was okay. I had a straight stairlift installed by them and I was pleased with everything that the installers did. I've had it for a couple of weeks and so far things have been good.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

We had an old Bruno stairlift at my parent's house and we replaced it with a new one. A guy named Paul installed it. He has done repair work for us in the past. When he was repairing the old one, he told us that it needed a new motor and we decided to go with a new model. The newer model we got is a nice upgrade and gives my parents a little more room on the stairs.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Company Information