2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.74/5

Bruno is a third-generation, family-owned-and-operated company committed to designing and manufacturing the highest-quality stairlifts and accessibility products to help people with mobility challenges retain their independence. Made-in-USA Bruno stairlifts are manufactured exclusively in Wisconsin, United States - and proudly installed by local experts who live in, support and serve their local communities.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Video
Bruno Independent Living Aids Gallery (5)
BOTTOM LINE

Bruno Independent Living has a good range of stair lifts, with important safety features and some stylish options. Though the curved models have fewer aesthetic options, they are still compatible with most staircases.

PROS
  • High weight capacity
  • Good warranty
  • Affordable option available
CONS
  • Only available through dealers

Top Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

So far, so good. It is safe, and there’s no problem learning how to use it. I just push the button and ride. I feel much better in my home with the Bruno stairlift. I will highly recommend it.

Bruno stair lift models

Bruno Independent Living manufactures all their stair lifts in the USA. For those wondering how to install a Bruno stair lift, you don’t need to worry about having technical expertise — only official dealers and authorized technicians can and should install a Bruno stair lift. Bruno stair lift batteries are rechargeable, so the stair lifts can run even during a power outage.

Bruno indoor stair lifts

• Elan Stair Lift (300 lbs capacity): The Elan Stair Lift, also known as the SRE 3000, is Bruno’s most popular stair lift model. One great feature of the Elan is that it can be continually charged, not just at the top or the bottom of the railing like some models from other companies. You can also flip the seat up, so it’s out of the way and doesn’t obstruct the stairs. Installed safety sensors will stop the stair lift in the case of an obstruction on the stairs. The Elan is battery-powered, so it functions during a power outage.
  • Elite Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Stair Lift is a step up from the Elan model. While the Elan is perfectly functional and works well, the Elite can be customized to fit with your home’s decor. You can choose from various options for the seat upholstery and the power chair railing. The Elite model also has a higher weight capacity, at 400 lbs. Like the Elan, it can charge all along the strip, not just at the top and bottom of the landing. It also can fold up so it’s out of the way for people who don’t need to use it. With the Elite, you can also opt for a larger footrest or larger seat. Power swiveling is another option.
  • Elite Curved Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Curved Stair Lift is similar to the original Elite Stair Lift but made for curved stairs. It is also chargeable from anywhere on the stairs, has a safety feature to come to a stop if it senses an obstruction, has a power swivel option and can fold up and out of the way if needed. Unlike the other units, you can remove the lift from the stairs when it’s not in use; however, there is no option to have a painted rail or other custom options.

Bruno outdoor stair lifts

• Elite Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Outdoor Elite has been made to withstand even the most extreme conditions, ranging from 0 degrees to 125 degrees Fahrenheit. Weatherproof features include the use of durable paint on all steel surfaces as well as a complimentary sun, snow and water-resistant cover. The Outdoor Elite can flip up out of the way of the stairs and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction blocking its path. You can think of the Elite Outdoor Stair Lift as a twin to the indoor Elite Stair Lift, just with features designed to make it compatible for the outdoors.
  • Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): Like the indoor Curved Stair Lift, the Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift is custom made for outdoor landscapes that don’t have straightforward stairwells. The curved Elite outdoor model has a power swivel and weatherproof paint. It can fold up and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction. It also is resistant to a wide range of temperatures and comes with a cover.
ModelWeight capacityBest feature
Elan Stair Lift300 lbsLow price
Elite Stair Lift400 lbsStylish upholstery and rail options
Elite Curved Stair Lift400 lbsWorks with almost any type of curved staircase
Elite Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsWeather-resistant paint and cover
Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsCustomizable to wide range of outdoor arrangements

Bruno stair lift cost

Bruno Independent Living doesn’t advertise prices on its website. You’ll have to reach out to them directly to obtain a quote. Generally, stair lifts in the United States can cost between $2,000 and $10,000. A straight stair lift will cost less, and a curved stair lift will cost more. The Bruno Elite stair lift price is higher than that of the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most basic model. If you’re looking for a bargain, it’s best to check out the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most popular purchase. Financing is available for Bruno stair lifts.

Bruno stair lifts also come with a warranty. Indoor straight stairlifts have a lifetime warranty on the major components, like the gearbox, motor, drivetrain and rail. The major components on outdoor and curved stair lifts have a 5-year warranty. All other components on every stair lift have a 2-year warranty. There is also a 30-day labor coverage after installation in the case of a manufacturing defect. These warranties are only valid if the stair lift is installed by an authorized Bruno dealer.

Do we recommend Bruno Independent Living?

We recommend Bruno Independent Living stair lifts. They have a good selection of both indoor and outdoor stair lifts. The safety features and rechargeable batteries are a plus. Bruno has a long history of reliability, and you can rest assured going with them for your stair lift is a great decision.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

A Bruno lift was assembled in Wilmington, Delaware on the back of my truck for my electric mobility scooter. I took my truck through the VA. I'm 100% disabled and I have bad back issues, and they provided me a lift that's on the back of my pickup. The VA gave me electric mobility scooter to get around with. The representatives from the day that I went up to have it installed on my truck were really polite and business-like 100%. The technician that installed it on my truck said he’d be about an half hour, and he was a little bit quicker. He explained all the procedures and the function of it and went over it a couple times with me to make sure I was clear about it.

I've used the apparatus several times. I've had it about a month and a half now, and I am tickled to death with it. The interaction with the people as far as the people presenting Bruno was a pleasure. My lift is installed in my receiver hitch on the back of my pickup that I pull my trailers with. They installed it, in which it doesn't use a pin, so you can easily remove it, so I could put my hitch on to pull my trailer. They use a bolting system that they have to use. Their guy told me why.

If you put a receiver in the back of a pickup, that's not a real tight fit. So, stuff rolls and moves around a little bit. They want this thing to be tight in the hole, so they have a compression segment that goes in there and a bolt. You tighten the bolt up, and it does not move one ounce. That's the way they want it for this lift. So, when it's going down the highway, the lift and the chair you got on it is perfectly level with the ground, and there's no movement, and it fastens down on it. The only drawback I have is the bolt. I've had to remove it one time and take the hitch off for the use of my trailer. It's a little bit more cumbersome than it is just pulling a pin. But outside of that, I'm alright with it. I recommend Bruno highly. I would do it again.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I'll be 88 next year. I have a hard time climbing up and down the stairs and my kids didn't want me to fall down in the stairs. I also wanted a walk-in bathtub downstairs but nobody wanted to open the wall into the third car garage to extend the shower or walk-in tub in there. They didn't want to disturb the electrical wiring behind that wall in my bathroom downstairs, so my son went into searching Google and find a stairlift. I know my girlfriend in San Diego has one when she retired and she's happy with it.

I got the straight one, up and down, with a curve in the bottom stair. The installer who came out was a nice and respectful guy. He showed me how to use it, told me about changing of the batteries and to oil once a year. I wrote that down, but he talked so fast. Maybe because he had another installation to go to. But my son told Dan from sales that I'm still available to climb up three steps. So we can wait until I cannot walk up in that three steps to go up in the level where the stairlift is before making any adjustments.

Other than that, my stairlift fits my stairs well. Initially, I was thinking that they could change the stair handle to the other side because the lift is in the right side. But that's the only one with the handle in the rail where you go up and down to hold. But Bruno's rep said he could extend it out there than the stairwell and that was what he did. There is still a few space to walk up and down for anybody, so it works.

When I use my stairlift up and down, there is a green light in the top where they installed under the step upstairs that was on all the time. But last week, I noticed that there was a red light blinking in that green light. So I told my son and he said it might be the battery. He said to call up Dan, so I did that today but he was out of the office. He also gave me the office number, but it was unavailable. It told me I could call later. But Dan said he would call me and try to send me a repair guy to come over. So that's what I'm waiting for. Now, my stairlift stopped running up and down and doesn't move anymore. But I tried to twist back and forth, because you can twist it back and forth, and that's how I go upstairs. Besides that, my stairlift is a good one. It helps me now because I can carry my laundry basket in there too.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

My husband has Parkinson's and in late July, he fell and broke his back. We have a two-storey house with a basement with stairs everywhere and our bedrooms and bathrooms are upstairs. So after he got to the hospital, we had a bed downstairs. We went back to the VA and said that we gotta do something. So, they ordered the stairlift to have it installed. I was scared to death he was gonna fall. He has very little balance in everything. Before we got it installed, I was having to use straps around him and pull him upstairs, and then hold him going down the stairs. There are 13 stairs and I have bad knees, so I was thinking one or both of us are gonna go one day. But the stairlift has been wonderful and we both love Bruno. He uses it all the time during the day and I use it because I have horrible knees and I almost fell down too. It benefits both of us. It has probably some years off of both of us just having it since we got it.

The sales reps called after we applied for it. The rep came out and measured everything. He told us what we needed and what would be done. It was great. A week and a half afterwards, they came out to install and the installer was wonderful. The stairlift works beautifully because we've got it straight upstairs. I like how the chair swivels and locks in place. So, I don't worry about it not being in place for Don to get into it. It’s got that fold-up leg on the bottom so we fold that up and it gets out of the way. My daughter and granddaughter live with me so they're up and down it all the time, and it doesn't block anything. That's very nice. It saves space and it seems to be working fantastic. I use it to take my laundry down too so it has lots of features that aren’t what it’s designed for. It does other duties as required and it works quite well. It's worth whatever it costs.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I was looking online at all the different brands and gave some of the dealers a call. Bruno called me back and was most efficient about taking care of me. The sales rep was very knowledgeable and he wasn't pushy. He explained what they could do, how much it would cost, what they would probably need to do in order to put the stairlift in, what they would need to remove, what I might need to add as well as how long it would approximately take to get the chair and get it installed.

A gentleman came on time as scheduled for the installation. He explained what he was going to need to do and did it with minimal noise and dirt. When he was finished, he took me through the operation of the chair and showed me the lights and whatnot that I needed to be aware of and that needed to be connected as well as what to do if something went wrong. I have the Elan and we’re quite happy with its compactness. I'm thinking about possibly having Mobility come out and put another one in for my other stairwell.

With having the stairlift, I like the comfort of being able to get up, and my husband and I both being able to get up and down without a struggle. He feels a little uncomfortable because he's all about safety and sturdiness and he's old. The arms feel flimsy to him. He's always not sure that they're quite gonna support him when he goes to stand up, but they have. It’s not a problem. Also, he's very tall, so he has a little bit of trouble with his knees when he comes up, but there's still room for him to do that.

The switch that's on the right-hand side of the chair that makes the chair go up or down is right at the end of the arm. And depending on how you stand up and use it, you can flip the switch to where it can move on you. I have not seen it. I have not had that problem, but because he's tall and has long arms and he has large hands, sometimes when he scoots himself to the edge to stand up, he will activate that switch. Now, if he's locked in at the top, before he tries to get out at the top, that's not an issue. It's when he's at the bottom and he goes to stand up or sit down, then the chair might move up a little bit on him.

Original review: June 12, 2020

I’m 86 years old and my balance has been getting rather difficult. We moved from our private home into a condo and we got a second-floor unit. There are 17 steps up to it and no elevator. I'm a disabled veteran from Korea and I was having difficulty getting up and down the stairs. The VA took a look at it for me and said that I needed the stairlift. It took them about a year to get through the paperwork. In the meantime, I looked at different companies. I looked at Bruno, read about it, and liked it best. The VA said that was the one I should have. Two guys came at about 9 o’clock in the morning and at about 1 o’clock in the afternoon, it was all installed. They showed me how to operate it. We signed some papers and away they went. I've been using it several times a day ever since.

I would make some kind of a cargo box to fit on it nicely because I have to get all my groceries up the stairs too. My wife goes to the top of the stairs and I work from the bottom. I load the things on the stairlift as best I can and run it up to her. She then unloads it at the top and sends it back down to me. A couple of days ago, we made about seven trips to haul the groceries. When they test the thing, they test it for 400 pounds. We had some dog food, which was about 50 pounds. It was probably the heaviest single item. We also had big bundles of toilet paper, paper towels, and smaller, heavier stuff.

Our dog is 15 years old and suffered a kind of nervous attack. Suddenly, she couldn't stand and walk and we had to get her to an animal hospital. We put her on the stairlift and I kinda held her in place and hung onto the chair to run it down the stairs. It was a lifesaver in that way for us. We've made really good use of it already and I’m loving it.

Original review: April 10, 2021

I got a pretty good stairlift from Bruno. It makes it easier for me to get downstairs and back upstairs. I ain't all out of breath, never had to sit there for half hour.

Original review: April 2, 2021

We love the lift which was put in for my parents. The reps from Bruno were knowledgeable. They gave us options on a different brand but I didn’t see spending the extra money to do that for what my parents’ needs are for. We got a straight model and it’s wonderful. The ones that walk up and down still have plenty of room to get around it. We just got it so it hasn't been used a whole lot but I don't see any problems with it.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I was very pleased with how quickly Bruno responded. The sales rep was wonderful and installation went smooth as can be. The stairlift is for my husband to get up and down steps. HIs knee scooter is pretty heavy to lug up and down steps so I sit on the stairlift and put the scooter on my lap to take it up and down. But, I wish that Bruno had more power options and the rail could be a different color.

Original review: March 31, 2021

I'm very upset. When the rep first came, he said he was gonna park the chair lift in the corner where I have a mirror stand set. I said the mirror set would be gone when he gets here but they set the lift farther from the wall than it's supposed to go. I have a narrow staircase and people going down the stairs get caught on the levers on the chair because it's not down far enough past the banister. It's a big problem. My wife has had a hard time getting past it. The VA is aware of my dissatisfaction and that's not gonna look good for Bruno.

Original review: March 30, 2021

101 Mobility's rep walked me through and recommended a Bruno stairlift especially since it's an outdoor unit. The tech measured carefully and I got a straight model that goes on our deck. It's just perfect and it runs really smoothly. The stairlift has made our life easier because before that, it would take two of us to get my son down the stairs. now, we just pop him in the chair and he'd push the button. Then, he would be off and running. We love our Bruno.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Company Information