2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.78/5

Bruno is a third-generation, family-owned-and-operated company committed to designing and manufacturing the highest-quality stairlifts and accessibility products to help people with mobility challenges retain their independence. Made-in-USA Bruno stairlifts are manufactured exclusively in Wisconsin, United States - and proudly installed by local experts who live in, support and serve their local communities.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Video
Bruno Independent Living Aids Gallery (5)

BOTTOM LINE

Bruno Independent Living has a good range of stair lifts, with important safety features and some stylish options. Though the curved models have fewer aesthetic options, they are still compatible with most staircases.

PROS

• High weight capacity
  • Good warranty
  • Affordable option available

CONS

• Only available through dealers

Top Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

So far, so good. It is safe, and there’s no problem learning how to use it. I just push the button and ride. I feel much better in my home with the Bruno stairlift. I will highly recommend it.

With the stairlift, my mom sits and goes up and down and the stairs comfortably. I love the stairlift and right now, everything is working well.

Bruno stair lift models

Bruno Independent Living manufactures all their stair lifts in the USA. For those wondering how to install a Bruno stair lift, you don’t need to worry about having technical expertise — only official dealers and authorized technicians can and should install a Bruno stair lift. Bruno stair lift batteries are rechargeable, so the stair lifts can run even during a power outage.

Bruno indoor stair lifts

• Elan Stair Lift (300 lbs capacity): The Elan Stair Lift, also known as the SRE 3000, is Bruno’s most popular stair lift model. One great feature of the Elan is that it can be continually charged, not just at the top or the bottom of the railing like some models from other companies. You can also flip the seat up, so it’s out of the way and doesn’t obstruct the stairs. Installed safety sensors will stop the stair lift in the case of an obstruction on the stairs. The Elan is battery-powered, so it functions during a power outage.
  • Elite Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Stair Lift is a step up from the Elan model. While the Elan is perfectly functional and works well, the Elite can be customized to fit with your home’s decor. You can choose from various options for the seat upholstery and the power chair railing. The Elite model also has a higher weight capacity, at 400 lbs. Like the Elan, it can charge all along the strip, not just at the top and bottom of the landing. It also can fold up so it’s out of the way for people who don’t need to use it. With the Elite, you can also opt for a larger footrest or larger seat. Power swiveling is another option.
  • Elite Curved Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Curved Stair Lift is similar to the original Elite Stair Lift but made for curved stairs. It is also chargeable from anywhere on the stairs, has a safety feature to come to a stop if it senses an obstruction, has a power swivel option and can fold up and out of the way if needed. Unlike the other units, you can remove the lift from the stairs when it’s not in use; however, there is no option to have a painted rail or other custom options.

Bruno outdoor stair lifts

• Elite Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Outdoor Elite has been made to withstand even the most extreme conditions, ranging from 0 degrees to 125 degrees Fahrenheit. Weatherproof features include the use of durable paint on all steel surfaces as well as a complimentary sun, snow and water-resistant cover. The Outdoor Elite can flip up out of the way of the stairs and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction blocking its path. You can think of the Elite Outdoor Stair Lift as a twin to the indoor Elite Stair Lift, just with features designed to make it compatible for the outdoors.
  • Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): Like the indoor Curved Stair Lift, the Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift is custom made for outdoor landscapes that don’t have straightforward stairwells. The curved Elite outdoor model has a power swivel and weatherproof paint. It can fold up and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction. It also is resistant to a wide range of temperatures and comes with a cover.
ModelWeight capacityBest feature
Elan Stair Lift300 lbsLow price
Elite Stair Lift400 lbsStylish upholstery and rail options
Elite Curved Stair Lift400 lbsWorks with almost any type of curved staircase
Elite Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsWeather-resistant paint and cover
Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsCustomizable to wide range of outdoor arrangements

Bruno stair lift cost

Bruno Independent Living doesn’t advertise prices on its website. You’ll have to reach out to them directly to obtain a quote. Generally, stair lifts in the United States can cost between $2,000 and $10,000. A straight stair lift will cost less, and a curved stair lift will cost more. The Bruno Elite stair lift price is higher than that of the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most basic model. If you’re looking for a bargain, it’s best to check out the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most popular purchase. Financing is available for Bruno stair lifts.

Bruno stair lifts also come with a warranty. Indoor straight stairlifts have a lifetime warranty on the major components, like the gearbox, motor, drivetrain and rail. The major components on outdoor and curved stair lifts have a 5-year warranty. All other components on every stair lift have a 2-year warranty. There is also a 30-day labor coverage after installation in the case of a manufacturing defect. These warranties are only valid if the stair lift is installed by an authorized Bruno dealer.

Do we recommend Bruno Independent Living?

We recommend Bruno Independent Living stair lifts. They have a good selection of both indoor and outdoor stair lifts. The safety features and rechargeable batteries are a plus. Bruno has a long history of reliability, and you can rest assured going with them for your stair lift is a great decision.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I was looking online at all the different brands and gave some of the dealers a call. Bruno called me back and was most efficient about taking care of me. The sales rep was very knowledgeable and he wasn't pushy. He explained what they could do, how much it would cost, what they would probably need to do in order to put the stairlift in, what they would need to remove, what I might need to add as well as how long it would approximately take to get the chair and get it installed.

A gentleman came on time as scheduled for the installation. He explained what he was going to need to do and did it with minimal noise and dirt. When he was finished, he took me through the operation of the chair and showed me the lights and whatnot that I needed to be aware of and that needed to be connected as well as what to do if something went wrong. I have the Elan and we’re quite happy with its compactness. I'm thinking about possibly having Mobility come out and put another one in for my other stairwell.

With having the stairlift, I like the comfort of being able to get up, and my husband and I both being able to get up and down without a struggle. He feels a little uncomfortable because he's all about safety and sturdiness and he's old. The arms feel flimsy to him. He's always not sure that they're quite gonna support him when he goes to stand up, but they have. It’s not a problem. Also, he's very tall, so he has a little bit of trouble with his knees when he comes up, but there's still room for him to do that.

The switch that's on the right-hand side of the chair that makes the chair go up or down is right at the end of the arm. And depending on how you stand up and use it, you can flip the switch to where it can move on you. I have not seen it. I have not had that problem, but because he's tall and has long arms and he has large hands, sometimes when he scoots himself to the edge to stand up, he will activate that switch. Now, if he's locked in at the top, before he tries to get out at the top, that's not an issue. It's when he's at the bottom and he goes to stand up or sit down, then the chair might move up a little bit on him.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2020

My wife and I can still go up and down the stairs pretty good, but we live in a two-storey house and our cars are parked in a garage. We needed something to help bring up bird food, dog food and groceries. It’s getting a little tiresome walking up and down these stairs so many times a day. So, we got the stairlift mainly for that. I did a little research on all stairlifts. I checked about five or six different companies and for the price and the quality, hands down you have to go with the Bruno. Also, theirs seemed more heavy duty.

As far as the quality and everything, those guys up in Erie came down and did a nice job, were in and out of here in good time. I called them a couple of times. The rep said if we had any questions, give him a call. I called and he would get back to me. So, I'm well-satisfied with the equipment and the service. We use the stairlift occasionally. Some days you get up, your knees are a little sore. But I wish it was a little faster and I don’t know if they can speed that up, put a different gear in there or what. It takes about 30 seconds for the thing to get down the stairs. I like to be able to do it in 15. That’s still plenty of time considering I can go down the stairs in 5 when I walk down.

I'm a fussy guy. I took the stairlift apart. I moved it so I got more space. I got a tight stairway. I checked the clearance so I got it over about an inch and a half or two inches more and that inch and a half made all the difference at the bottom because when mine was installed, it was not on the hinged side. It was on the other side. So, when you get up in the stairs, it locks in a 45-degree position but I can open it up in 360 also. The 45 is good enough to get through that door but when you get downstairs, it’s nice having that extra couple of inches down there so your knees are starting to hit the wall. Also, I raised up the handrail, my knees are hitting it on the way down. So, I moved the handrail up about three inches. I got it to where to I’m tickled to death. You couldn’t shut the door originally without turning the seat back around sideways. So, I lowered it down a little bit there too, so I can shut the door, and it’s great.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

We live in a split-level home. We have seven steps one way and eight the other up to the bedroom and down to the den and the washroom, etc. We’ve got two bathrooms upstairs, we’ve got one bathroom downstairs, but we have no bathroom on the main level. We don’t have a bedroom on the main level. I’m 84 and my husband is 88. When something happens to us, it makes it hard getting to the bathroom. He broke his bone in his ankle and he was wearing a boot. And then he took cellulitis in his leg after they took the boot off and he couldn’t get up and down the stairs good.

I did a dumb thing before Christmas. I hurried to turn the TV off and I stepped on the corner of my sweeper and it just swept me right up under the dining room table on my back and my rear end. I thought I’d broke a bone but I laid there for about 15 minutes and talked to my cousin out-of-state. I was waiting to see if I was hurt and I didn’t even tell her what happened. My husband tried to help me up and I said, “Wait. Let me start moving around to see what’s wrong.” Nothing was broken. I could move and I felt fine. But the next day, my rear end was so sore. I couldn’t even move.

From then on until after Christmas, I could hardly walk. Our children decided we’d build a room in the garage and I didn’t want that right away. So, we looked into Bruno stairlift and we thought now is the time to get it even though we were getting better. We didn’t really need it then but you never know when you will. And to make them happy, we went ahead and got it. Their reps were wonderful. They didn’t push this on us at all. We called them and had someone come out and tell us about it. The rep was very nice. I really liked him. When we were ready for it, they got it in within two days. I was impressed with that and I would highly recommend them. My husband uses it more. When we carry laundry upstairs, either we put it on the lift and send it up or we sat down and carry it up. Most of the time, though, we lay it on it and send it up. A lot of my things are downstairs that I used to carry up so I’m using it for everything. Overall, I’m satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

My 91-year-old mother has dementia. And the only in and out from our house, which was built kind of on an incline was stepped, and it would have been impossible to push her on a ramp. I figured that a stairlift would be the perfect thing for her. The rep from Bruno was great. At first, I was thinking to get a ramp and then he saw we had basement steps into the garage, so he measured for the ramp and then he measured for the garage. Then he looked at the garage and he said, “Your best bet would be for a stairlift.” That was probably gonna be a little bit less than a ramp, and so it might’ve been more money for him but I appreciated his advice. He said, “I don’t want to sell you something you'd be unhappy with. I wouldn’t wanna have to push somebody up a ramp that size.” So, I appreciated his advice. And he assured me it would be done very safely, and it was.

The stairlift is great. In fact, I use it to bring heavy groceries and bulky things that’s hard for me to bring up. It's two for the price of one. We got a straight stairlift. It goes into a basement, and we got the one that holds 400 pounds. The installer came when he said he was gonna come and he was no trouble. He installed it. He was wonderful. He was out getting those little covers for the railing itself. And I sat in it and I could tell that it might still be too high for my mom and I asked him if there was anything he could do. At first, he didn't think he could, but he came back and said, “I lowered it by an inch.” It’s perfect. He was really nice.

Mom had tried the stairlift three times and she did fine with it. The stairlift is not cheap. I went into it expecting it to be maybe 2,000, but it ended up being 3,725. Things are always more than you think they’ll be. And I told our doctor that I got her a stairlift, and he wanted to know how much it cost, and he thought it’s what he would expect.

Our stairlift will impact both me and my mom greatly because it was hard to get her out of the house. I had just a little, tiny ramp on the front porch and then she had about seven steps to go down, and I have railings. But she had to use both hands on one rail and she barely shuffles when she walks, and it was kinda dangerous. Even though I was with her, it could’ve been dangerous. And it was hard on her. She’s frail and it tired her out to go in and out and it tired me out trying to help her. So, I’m thinking that this stairlift will preserve her energy and mine. And I’m hoping that she may be a little more willing to go out once in a while. She stays in the house all the time and that ties me down. So, I’m hoping it’ll make both the qualities of our lives a little bit better.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I was researching chairlifts and found that everybody said Bruno is the most dependable. So, then, I started looking for who to buy one from. I went for a new one. I found a vendor, 101 Mobility. I called them and they sent a fellow out who claimed that he was half owner of their company. I’m 385 pounds, so we discussed that. He was sitting right across from me in my living room while we were talking about it, and he went and measured my stairwell. I needed the left hand and I needed the Elite, the 400-pound capacity. We ordered it and I gave him a sizable down payment of 2800.

They told me they had it and they were ready to install it. Another fellow came out to install it. He said, “You know, the chair with that is not going to be big enough for you. I can tell already.” And I said that I ordered the big one. He went out to his van and he was out there 15 minutes or so and came in with the chair that went on the lift. It was obviously not big enough for me. And so I knew that the Elite can have a smaller or a large chair. He had to go out and make some calls and when he came back, he said that he talked to his boss and that the bigger chair was like $1500 more. But if I said, “Okay” that day, because of the mix-up, they’ll let me have it for $1250. So, I said, “Pack your stuff up and I’ll call you.” They tell you one thing, and then come out and automatically say, “Oh, that’s not big enough for you,” and then, try to hit you with a big bill, and you are stuck. They, however, refunded my money.

Then, I called Bruno and most they would do was give me names of a couple other vendors. But nobody discussed prices, nobody could tell me the price. But what I learned is that it is up to the selling party and the installer to charge whatever they want. So, in any event, I called two different vendors, and I picked the one that was a little bit closer, but they both seemed agreeable. They come out and talked to me, and agreed I need a bigger chair. Pennyrile Home Medical is the one that I dealt with, and that 101 Mobility was the problem people. They told me it costed more with the bigger chair, but their final price was like 4150, just $300 more than the other guy that wanted 1250, or if I waited a few days, 1500 for the bigger chair. So, they ordered it, got it, came out, installed it, and it was fine. It has got the big chair and it was quick satisfactory. Overall, as far as Bruno and Pennyrile are concerned, they did everything they did.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

At first, I had a fear of my Bruno stairlift, but I'm getting used to it. It's working really well. Bruno's prices are really good. I priced Acorn and the prices start at $700. With Bruno, I'm a happy customer. I got it in the nick of time. The installers were gonna install on a Friday and they asked if they could come on a Thursday and I had a doctor's appointment. So, I wasn't here. It was all put in when I got home from my appointment.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

They were very cooperative when I made an appointment and when they got here. It was wonderful. I'm pleased wiith the stairlift.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

There were two different people that came, the company that sells Bruno and another company. The one that gave the lowest bid is the one that got picked because the state paid for it. They didn't take in consideration that my mother cannot use her right hand. If the girl was paying attention when she came out, she would have known that my mother couldn't use her right side because we had told her this. They put the button on the right side instead of on the left side. The right arm side fell. It doesn't stay up. So, my mother's got a nice black and blue across her arm from it. I don't see her arms fitting right in there because it's kinda tight up in that area for her. The seat part fits her. Also, the stairlift keeps stopping. I'll push the button, I'll send her upstairs, I'll bring her down and it will stop.

My mother likes that the stairlift gets her upstairs, and it does have two remotes, so we have one downstairs and one upstairs. But even where she puts her foot, when she gets up towards the top, we have to pull the footrest up for it to go the rest of the way. For some reason, it hits the top step and it stops. So I don't even use it now. I'm very dissatisfied with it. It's weird. It seems very cheap.

Bruno Independent Living Aids response

Hi Leah,

We investigated the serial number attached to your mother's warranty registration data and contacted the local Bruno dealer with whom your family worked. While they had not heard directly from you regarding the situation described in your comments, they took immediate action to contact you to arrange an appointment to resolve the issue.

Please keep your phone on or check your voicemail for the message they left. We are messaging you privately with our direct contact information to further coordinate with you.

-The Bruno Team

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

About 10 years ago, my wife had ALS and we were going to the hospital in Vanderbilt in Tennessee. She was having issues getting around and moving. We were having to carry her up the stairs. We told the people down there and they put us in touch with a group out in Nashville at that time. They came and put in the stairlifts.

When my wife passed away, my sons had me keep the stairlifts. I have got Parkinson's and sometimes I have issues with walking, so going up and down the stairs was an issue. I use the stairlifts daily. I walk up and down the steps sometimes to get exercise. But in the mornings, I would get up and would a little stiff so I'll ride the stairlift down. They're an asset to me.

The original stairlift wore out and I called the people from Hopkinsville. They came and put a new one in. The installers were awesome and very accommodating. They were very professional, nice, and thorough. We communicated back and forth and they told me everything they were doing. They told me when they were gonna get here and were here at that time.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

The sales lady at Bruno was very nice and she explained everything. I liked her, which made me decide to buy a stairlift from them. The installation went well and then Justin, the installer, said my stairs were tipped. I leaned forward too much and the foot rest caught at the top of the stairs, and stopped me on the last two stairs. So, he came in and adjusted it. He did a fine job and I'm very happy. Everything is very good now and having it installed made it much easier for me to get up the stairs.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Company Information