2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.79/5

Bruno is a third-generation, family-owned-and-operated company committed to designing and manufacturing the highest-quality stairlifts and accessibility products to help people with mobility challenges retain their independence. Made-in-USA Bruno stairlifts are manufactured exclusively in Wisconsin, United States - and proudly installed by local experts who live in, support and serve their local communities.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Video
Bruno Independent Living Aids Gallery (5)

BOTTOM LINE

Bruno Independent Living has a good range of stair lifts, with important safety features and some stylish options. Though the curved models have fewer aesthetic options, they are still compatible with most staircases.

PROS

• High weight capacity
  • Good warranty
  • Affordable option available

CONS

• Only available through dealers

Top Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

So far, so good. It is safe, and there’s no problem learning how to use it. I just push the button and ride. I feel much better in my home with the Bruno stairlift. I will highly recommend it.

With the stairlift, my mom sits and goes up and down and the stairs comfortably. I love the stairlift and right now, everything is working well.

Bruno stair lift models

Bruno Independent Living manufactures all their stair lifts in the USA. For those wondering how to install a Bruno stair lift, you don’t need to worry about having technical expertise — only official dealers and authorized technicians can and should install a Bruno stair lift. Bruno stair lift batteries are rechargeable, so the stair lifts can run even during a power outage.

Bruno indoor stair lifts

• Elan Stair Lift (300 lbs capacity): The Elan Stair Lift, also known as the SRE 3000, is Bruno’s most popular stair lift model. One great feature of the Elan is that it can be continually charged, not just at the top or the bottom of the railing like some models from other companies. You can also flip the seat up, so it’s out of the way and doesn’t obstruct the stairs. Installed safety sensors will stop the stair lift in the case of an obstruction on the stairs. The Elan is battery-powered, so it functions during a power outage.
  • Elite Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Stair Lift is a step up from the Elan model. While the Elan is perfectly functional and works well, the Elite can be customized to fit with your home’s decor. You can choose from various options for the seat upholstery and the power chair railing. The Elite model also has a higher weight capacity, at 400 lbs. Like the Elan, it can charge all along the strip, not just at the top and bottom of the landing. It also can fold up so it’s out of the way for people who don’t need to use it. With the Elite, you can also opt for a larger footrest or larger seat. Power swiveling is another option.
  • Elite Curved Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Curved Stair Lift is similar to the original Elite Stair Lift but made for curved stairs. It is also chargeable from anywhere on the stairs, has a safety feature to come to a stop if it senses an obstruction, has a power swivel option and can fold up and out of the way if needed. Unlike the other units, you can remove the lift from the stairs when it’s not in use; however, there is no option to have a painted rail or other custom options.

Bruno outdoor stair lifts

• Elite Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Outdoor Elite has been made to withstand even the most extreme conditions, ranging from 0 degrees to 125 degrees Fahrenheit. Weatherproof features include the use of durable paint on all steel surfaces as well as a complimentary sun, snow and water-resistant cover. The Outdoor Elite can flip up out of the way of the stairs and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction blocking its path. You can think of the Elite Outdoor Stair Lift as a twin to the indoor Elite Stair Lift, just with features designed to make it compatible for the outdoors.
  • Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): Like the indoor Curved Stair Lift, the Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift is custom made for outdoor landscapes that don’t have straightforward stairwells. The curved Elite outdoor model has a power swivel and weatherproof paint. It can fold up and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction. It also is resistant to a wide range of temperatures and comes with a cover.
ModelWeight capacityBest feature
Elan Stair Lift300 lbsLow price
Elite Stair Lift400 lbsStylish upholstery and rail options
Elite Curved Stair Lift400 lbsWorks with almost any type of curved staircase
Elite Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsWeather-resistant paint and cover
Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsCustomizable to wide range of outdoor arrangements

Bruno stair lift cost

Bruno Independent Living doesn’t advertise prices on its website. You’ll have to reach out to them directly to obtain a quote. Generally, stair lifts in the United States can cost between $2,000 and $10,000. A straight stair lift will cost less, and a curved stair lift will cost more. The Bruno Elite stair lift price is higher than that of the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most basic model. If you’re looking for a bargain, it’s best to check out the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most popular purchase. Financing is available for Bruno stair lifts.

Bruno stair lifts also come with a warranty. Indoor straight stairlifts have a lifetime warranty on the major components, like the gearbox, motor, drivetrain and rail. The major components on outdoor and curved stair lifts have a 5-year warranty. All other components on every stair lift have a 2-year warranty. There is also a 30-day labor coverage after installation in the case of a manufacturing defect. These warranties are only valid if the stair lift is installed by an authorized Bruno dealer.

Do we recommend Bruno Independent Living?

We recommend Bruno Independent Living stair lifts. They have a good selection of both indoor and outdoor stair lifts. The safety features and rechargeable batteries are a plus. Bruno has a long history of reliability, and you can rest assured going with them for your stair lift is a great decision.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

Original review: April 3, 2020

My wife and I can still go up and down the stairs pretty good, but we live in a two-storey house and our cars are parked in a garage. We needed something to help bring up bird food, dog food and groceries. It’s getting a little tiresome walking up and down these stairs so many times a day. So, we got the stairlift mainly for that. I did a little research on all stairlifts. I checked about five or six different companies and for the price and the quality, hands down you have to go with the Bruno. Also, theirs seemed more heavy duty.

As far as the quality and everything, those guys up in Erie came down and did a nice job, were in and out of here in good time. I called them a couple of times. The rep said if we had any questions, give him a call. I called and he would get back to me. So, I'm well-satisfied with the equipment and the service. We use the stairlift occasionally. Some days you get up, your knees are a little sore. But I wish it was a little faster and I don’t know if they can speed that up, put a different gear in there or what. It takes about 30 seconds for the thing to get down the stairs. I like to be able to do it in 15. That’s still plenty of time considering I can go down the stairs in 5 when I walk down.

I'm a fussy guy. I took the stairlift apart. I moved it so I got more space. I got a tight stairway. I checked the clearance so I got it over about an inch and a half or two inches more and that inch and a half made all the difference at the bottom because when mine was installed, it was not on the hinged side. It was on the other side. So, when you get up in the stairs, it locks in a 45-degree position but I can open it up in 360 also. The 45 is good enough to get through that door but when you get downstairs, it’s nice having that extra couple of inches down there so your knees are starting to hit the wall. Also, I raised up the handrail, my knees are hitting it on the way down. So, I moved the handrail up about three inches. I got it to where to I’m tickled to death. You couldn’t shut the door originally without turning the seat back around sideways. So, I lowered it down a little bit there too, so I can shut the door, and it’s great.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

My 91-year-old mother has dementia. And the only in and out from our house, which was built kind of on an incline was stepped, and it would have been impossible to push her on a ramp. I figured that a stairlift would be the perfect thing for her. The rep from Bruno was great. At first, I was thinking to get a ramp and then he saw we had basement steps into the garage, so he measured for the ramp and then he measured for the garage. Then he looked at the garage and he said, “Your best bet would be for a stairlift.” That was probably gonna be a little bit less than a ramp, and so it might’ve been more money for him but I appreciated his advice. He said, “I don’t want to sell you something you'd be unhappy with. I wouldn’t wanna have to push somebody up a ramp that size.” So, I appreciated his advice. And he assured me it would be done very safely, and it was.

The stairlift is great. In fact, I use it to bring heavy groceries and bulky things that’s hard for me to bring up. It's two for the price of one. We got a straight stairlift. It goes into a basement, and we got the one that holds 400 pounds. The installer came when he said he was gonna come and he was no trouble. He installed it. He was wonderful. He was out getting those little covers for the railing itself. And I sat in it and I could tell that it might still be too high for my mom and I asked him if there was anything he could do. At first, he didn't think he could, but he came back and said, “I lowered it by an inch.” It’s perfect. He was really nice.

Mom had tried the stairlift three times and she did fine with it. The stairlift is not cheap. I went into it expecting it to be maybe 2,000, but it ended up being 3,725. Things are always more than you think they’ll be. And I told our doctor that I got her a stairlift, and he wanted to know how much it cost, and he thought it’s what he would expect.

Our stairlift will impact both me and my mom greatly because it was hard to get her out of the house. I had just a little, tiny ramp on the front porch and then she had about seven steps to go down, and I have railings. But she had to use both hands on one rail and she barely shuffles when she walks, and it was kinda dangerous. Even though I was with her, it could’ve been dangerous. And it was hard on her. She’s frail and it tired her out to go in and out and it tired me out trying to help her. So, I’m thinking that this stairlift will preserve her energy and mine. And I’m hoping that she may be a little more willing to go out once in a while. She stays in the house all the time and that ties me down. So, I’m hoping it’ll make both the qualities of our lives a little bit better.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I was researching chairlifts and found that everybody said Bruno is the most dependable. So, then, I started looking for who to buy one from. I went for a new one. I found a vendor, 101 Mobility. I called them and they sent a fellow out who claimed that he was half owner of their company. I’m 385 pounds, so we discussed that. He was sitting right across from me in my living room while we were talking about it, and he went and measured my stairwell. I needed the left hand and I needed the Elite, the 400-pound capacity. We ordered it and I gave him a sizable down payment of 2800.

They told me they had it and they were ready to install it. Another fellow came out to install it. He said, “You know, the chair with that is not going to be big enough for you. I can tell already.” And I said that I ordered the big one. He went out to his van and he was out there 15 minutes or so and came in with the chair that went on the lift. It was obviously not big enough for me. And so I knew that the Elite can have a smaller or a large chair. He had to go out and make some calls and when he came back, he said that he talked to his boss and that the bigger chair was like $1500 more. But if I said, “Okay” that day, because of the mix-up, they’ll let me have it for $1250. So, I said, “Pack your stuff up and I’ll call you.” They tell you one thing, and then come out and automatically say, “Oh, that’s not big enough for you,” and then, try to hit you with a big bill, and you are stuck. They, however, refunded my money.

Then, I called Bruno and most they would do was give me names of a couple other vendors. But nobody discussed prices, nobody could tell me the price. But what I learned is that it is up to the selling party and the installer to charge whatever they want. So, in any event, I called two different vendors, and I picked the one that was a little bit closer, but they both seemed agreeable. They come out and talked to me, and agreed I need a bigger chair. Pennyrile Home Medical is the one that I dealt with, and that 101 Mobility was the problem people. They told me it costed more with the bigger chair, but their final price was like 4150, just $300 more than the other guy that wanted 1250, or if I waited a few days, 1500 for the bigger chair. So, they ordered it, got it, came out, installed it, and it was fine. It has got the big chair and it was quick satisfactory. Overall, as far as Bruno and Pennyrile are concerned, they did everything they did.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I’m having problems with sleep and vertigo, and the only way I could seem to get up and down our stairs was with a stairlift. Bruno and Acorn came up and based upon info that I had, I didn’t wanna deal with Acorn. The website that pulled that up gave Bruno at least 4.5 stars, and the others were less. I contacted their people in Tupelo, Mississippi and they came out. I had to have two stairlifts because at the landing, we make a 180 degree turn. The first time they installed things, they installed the upper set on the wrong side of the stairs. I had a set of bookshelves on the other side, and they were afraid that the bookshelf would interfere. But there was nothing on those bookshelves. They were adjustable for parts so even the supports are removed. So, they came back a week later and moved it over to the other side. All they had to do was lift up those shelves. They put them out to my back porch and took out the supports.

I have to use a walker when I move around, and I have two walkers depending upon what I’m going to do. If I’m just gonna walk down to get the paper, I use the lighter walker. I can fold it up, put it on my knees, rest it on my knees and there’s just the right clearance to make it down the stairs. The way I’ve been feeling lately, it's the only way I can get up and down those stairs. I have home health people that come, and so when they’re coming, I fold up the chairs so they can walk up and down the stairs. Without the Bruno stairlifts, getting to the doctor would’ve been impossible. Also, the living quarters are all on one floor, but we built the house on a hillside and so the carports are down underneath. If I wanna go out, I have to go down the stairs. When we shop, I have to bring the groceries up the stairs. Those lifts are what has allowed us to stay in our house.

I was told that the VA would help me pay for it, but I kept getting more and more forms to fill out. When I got the form that said I would have to join the VA medical operation, I quit. The closest VA medical facility is a clinic that is 25 miles away, and I’m not going to drive 25 miles when I’m not feeling good. I simply paid for the two stairlifts out of my own pocket. If the VA had granted me compensation, it would’ve been less than a quarter of what I paid. But Bruno works so well and they put it in at just the right time.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

Our Bruno stairlift is not what I thought it'd be. It's kinda clunky but it works. It's got the retractable arm that goes down to our basement floor, and the way it goes is that it goes down and stops, and you can't do it any other way that that arm goes out, or you can have it frozen down there, but once you get down to the bottom, the part that extends is not directly aligned and supported like the main rail. When you get to the bottom, you kinda tilt forward to go down the rest of the way. Maybe it's because there's carpet there and that's causing the trouble of it. Also, once it comes back up, it stops, and then it goes up, and then it kinda sounds like gears are grinding together for a little bit before you get to the top. We got a split entry three years ago that they put in on the upper floor to the front door, and we've been using that and that's been pretty good and not too much of a problem at all.

Maybe Bruno hasn't got it perfected enough so it runs smooth and everything, and I can't do anything about it. It does get us down to where we could take showers and do our laundry, which is downstairs. It's just that I figured it'd be a much smoother operation for $7,500. I called them, and I talked to a technician. They said, "Everything is fine. Don't worry about the grinding." So, I can't do anything more. The guy suggested when he would do it, "Well, we could just make it two pieces and like your other one will go all the way down the basement floor." But I was worried if we had to replace the carpets or vacuum. It just sticks out there.

I was wondering if it still bothers us later, maybe we could put one rail all the way down. The upper stairs wasn't going down. They had to cut in the middle to make the length from top to the bottom. I asked them, "Why can't you just get one to order, one whole piece from the factory, so you don't have to slice it in the middle to make the right length?" They said they can't. I used to work with sheet metal and stuff, and I don't see where it would be so prohibitive. I just gotta go with what they say. We haven't had it in very long, so we haven't had any problems. It's just that I feel like I'm tilting forward and gonna fall out a little bit because of the angle when it goes down there. Otherwise, it gets us down there and I'm so grateful we don't have to move, so that we can go up and down the stairs. That's a blessing in itself.

I am so grateful that I've got something to take me down there, and Bruno was really nice. I would recommend Bruno. The chair works really good. They serviced it too and just checked it out when they put in the other part there. I like the chair. It's hefty and it looks like it's not flimsy. It looks to be of very good quality. If somebody wanted one put in, I could give them some recommendation. It's a good set-up.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

They were very respectful. They came and they were speedy. My grandfather was downstairs and he was very ill, so they worked outside to help him even though it was hot, which was very nice. But the stairlift kind of jams when you go to rotate it. You have to be very specific about where the handle is placed. My grandmother has a hard time with that part. She still has to have supervision for it.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Andrew from Sterling in Central Massachusetts was our salesperson and he was very informative. My husband and I are both no-nonsense kind of people and he really told us what to expect with the Bruno stairlift. The installer was excellent and he answered all our questions. It was a good installation and the stairlift doesn't make any noise. We put it in in just the right moment. We haven't had the stairlift very long but it's good and I'm happy with it. It has worked for us and it’s comfortable for my husband.

Original review: July 31, 2020

The Bruno salesperson that came out couldn't have been nicer. I couldn't have asked for anything more. He was quick, efficient, and just gave me the straight skinny. There were two people who put in the stairlift. It went very well. I had to have the man come back because part of the chair wasn't making good contact. And every now and then, it would click like it was getting ready to operate. He came out and in 15 minutes, he got that fixed and we haven’t had any problems since. It fits our stairwell pretty well. The only problem is, the way it is right now, we would have to move furniture from downstairs to the upstairs. There is not that much room.

Original review: July 30, 2020

We decided on Bruno based on their product’s functionality, price, dependability and the folks that I spoke with on the phone. We had that stairlift up and running within two days of my call, which we needed to have done because my mom was being released from the hospital. The salesperson that we worked with was wonderful. He's a local person and knows my area. He was very pleasant on the phone, accommodating and was able to get the service people there who were very thorough with the installation and instruction of the use. The stairlift works wonderfully although my mom doesn't really use it very much. She came home from the hospital, went upstairs and has not left the house since then. But we've used it from time to time to help us up with some groceries. I like the remote control, which is helpful. Also, the stairlift is compact yet extremely sturdy.

Original review: July 29, 2020

The installation didn't take long. My fiancé is a contractor. He was with the installer and the installer showed him. Everything went very well and was perfectly done. The stairlift is working properly and it’s exactly what we wanted.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Company Information