2. Homeowners

Colorado

3.8/5 (124 ratings)

About Xcel Energy

Xcel Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xcel Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xcel Energy?

Original review: April 12, 2021

I have been with Xcel Energy for 4 or 5 years now. I have always paid my bill online via their website. For several months now when I try to pay my bill it just takes me to a blank white page that says URL not found. I have called and emailed MULTIPLE times about this issue but have never even been contacted or responded to. I finally got the website to take me to some new platform called KUBRA EZ PAY and made my payment. I certainly hope this is legit or I'm going to be really pissed off. If they changed the way you make payments online it would have been nice to be notified or at least given some other method by which to pay. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

Original review: March 30, 2021

Xcel customers track your billing statements and compare. 90% of the time they match but... There are times when it WON'T and it will be off by a lot and ALWAYS in their favor. I also suspect the wait times on the phones is because MANY CUSTOMERS question their billing practices. I've contacted Mn PUC & Mn Atty General who are BOTH investigating. So Xcel customers beware.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I set up autopay the previous month, but it didn't deduct on the day it was supposed to--instead it said my account was late and that autopay would deduct for two months next month. This isn't the only problem I've ever had with the website either, it never seems to want to load properly on computer or mobile and their account systems are all over the place. Can't even figure out why my bill is so high half the time.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

We moved and had to sign up with Xcel Energy. We do everything online, so I signed up and they hooked up our power. So far so good. I signed up for the online account and that's when problems started. The sign up process worked, after I activated the security link in the email. For some reason after that I wasn't able to log in any more. When I entered my user/password it would say they were wrong. So I reset my password, and tried again. Still wrong.

I called customer service and they told me it shows in their system that I logged in fine. I convinced them that was not the case, so the only way to move forward was to delete my account and sign up again. After activating my account again, now when I log in, it accepts my password, but only shows a white page and then a "salesforce bad url error". I tried EVERYTHING from different computers (4 total) to different browsers (4 as well), deleting cookies and restarting. I even had my wife sign up (just in case I'm too dumb). ALL resulting in the same error. Customer service doesn't do anything. No call back, no answering of emails, nothing!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

Hoping to change this review to more than 1 star however with lack of communication from Xcel, I feel like I have no choice but to warn others what type of company this is. My house is currently undergoing construction and amid a 30 degree day in the pandemic, it seems like an xcel employee noticed our construction and took it upon himself to remove our gas meter without notice. Our contractors failed in any attempt to get answers from the man removing our heat in the middle of the winter. When I called, I was met with more confusion from customer service about how I, the homeowner was not even notified after the meter was taken. I was promised a call back with answers and now a month has passed, I've heard from no one at the company and my home still does not have heat. Doesn't sound reasonable to me. If any of the details of my account are incorrect, that would be a result of xcel's lack of communication.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

During the snowstorm on Wed evening, Oct 28, a large tree got into the power lines and knocked out power to two streets including our house. The service man showed up in less than an hour, and was up there in his bucket in windblown snow with a hand saw cutting the lines free. WOW What a trooper. He had us back up in less than 2 hrs. I was totally amazed and grateful. I just want to thank Him and all the other guys and girls that keep us all warm. Job well done!!!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

Cannot set up, update or change Auto Pay without calling Customer Service. However, calling the Customer Service to resolve results in ridiculous wait times (I have been waiting for more than 35 minutes so far!). It is unbelievable that you have to wait for nearly 45 minutes or more just to pay Xcel Energy!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Since the whole coronavirus started, I was laid off from work. I could no longer pay with the normal bank debit card I had originally started the auto pay with. I was then forced to start using my unemployment card to make monthly payments. Still, their automated system has NO fail-safe to check if a payment was made and did NOT check to see if a payment was already made and kept charging my bank account and in turn put me into the negative with my bank even though I had already paid with my unemployment card.

I ended up with $300+ of overdraft fees plus fees from Xcel because the payments bounced forcing me to close my entire bank account. Xcel refused to accept the screenshots I still have as proof of payments already made and demand I pay regardless. I’m refused when I ask to speak to managers or if I do get to speak to one, they hide behind fine print policy. No company is allowed to double charge. POLICY DOES NOT TRUMP LAW!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

My bill was 730 behind using the wonderful average monthly program. I pay on time every month and this is my 4th year in the row plenty of data to know what my Average bill should be.. I am sorry for anyone that gets stuck with this.. Now for several months I go from paying 250 a month to 408.. What a joke. Thanks Xcel. I hope you enjoy your Christmas bonuses. If I had another company to use I would!!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I live in 600 sq ft, they charged me 30-40 a month for just electricity. Then one day it went to over 100 and I called about it and they essentially said, "You figure out what's going on and if you don't pay we will shut you off." I couldn't and they did.

Xcel Energy Company Information