Colorado

3.8/5 (233 ratings)

About Xcel Energy

Xcel Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xcel Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xcel Energy?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

My father died a year ago and was a customer of Xcel Energy. Despite 12 months of arguing with your company, I am still being charged $35.00 each month for utilities, on a house I sold a year ago. I am FURIOUS that this process has been so terrible and heartbreaking. As if it's not hard enough to deal with the death of a parent, this company is being malicious at this time, still making me pay money for an account of a deceased after I have submitted all paperwork on numerous occasions to have it canceled.

Again, I have been trying to cancel this account for the past year. When I initially called, they told me I had to set up an account in my name, which I did because I was told it was the only way to cancel the payment for my father. So then I had TWO accounts, one for me (which I was told I had to do, for one dead person). But whoever took the information down misspelled my name and information, so then I had THREE accounts- my DEAD father, my real name, and the inaccurate spelling of my information (not me). So I was paying THREE TIMES for an account that was supposed to be canceled, on a house no longer owned by my family. I eventually was told that the accounts were all canceled, I received confirmation that all accounts were canceled, and I am STILL being charged every month. I am at my wits' end as to how to resolve this.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Up here in Fargo, ND XCEL ENERGY’S infrastructure equipment is old and needs major upgrades! We have a lot of outages!!! Some of the problems are also the fault of city and state government! Not enough oversight by our PSC!!!

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Well I only use Xcel Energy for my natural gas. I used to have them for my electricity as well. The customer service leave something to be desired. Trying to open a new account with the same name to a previous account made it a nightmare to get it straightened out. For the most part I give them 3 out of 5 stars because I have had issues with their customer service for the last decade. They seem like they have not been trained well. Lots of hold time and didn't resolve the issues right away. Took months to get straightened out.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Xcel customer service was very helpful when I called regarding my autopay issue. The representative was pleasant on the phone and explained clearly how the rebate process for the yearly overcharge worked. Rather than having me change my auto payment online, she volunteered to assist in doing it for me. I felt valued as a customer.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I closed my account with Xcel and then a month later I found out that I had a bill from them. The mobile app did not work so it did not actually close my account and I had to close it again. I then called and emailed xcel MANY times to try to resolve this. They never returned my calls or my emails. Eventually, months later, I reached a person who said they would contact a supervisor. The supervisor was supposed to call me back within the next day, however, they would not leave a phone number so if I missed the call then I would have to start the process all over again! A absolutely terrible system! Fortunately, I was free when they called and they said they would review my account and get back to me. They never called me back and I started the process of calling and emailing again... I finally got a hold of a customer service rep who said I was supposed to be sent to collections two days ago.

Very confusing since no one ever called me back. I got a hold of a supervisor again and they told me that I did not cancel it when I said I did and I need to pay the whole amount or I will be sent to collections by the end of the month. This company has been conflicting and confusing to work with. Their customer service is horrific and their communication is abysmal!

Original review: June 15, 2021

I am severely hearing impaired. I called Customer Service to pay a bill. The customer service gal that helped me talked so fast that I had to tell her. "Please talk slower and clearly." I could understand her better then. I explained that I could not hear on the automated system to pay the bill. I told her I needed to have a real person take my Visa information to pay the bill. She said I couldn't pay my bill that way and it can only be done on the automated system. I asked to speak to her supervisor which I did. The supervisor was even harder to understand and would not help me at all. I explained that being severely hearing impaired and trying to hear the automated system is extremely difficult and would she please take my Visa information and do it for me. She refused and hung up on me! Worst customer I have ever experienced! I have been an Xcel customer for 46 years! I was on the phone for 42 minutes to try and get help to no avail!

Original review: April 12, 2021

I have been with Xcel Energy for 4 or 5 years now. I have always paid my bill online via their website. For several months now when I try to pay my bill it just takes me to a blank white page that says URL not found. I have called and emailed MULTIPLE times about this issue but have never even been contacted or responded to. I finally got the website to take me to some new platform called KUBRA EZ PAY and made my payment. I certainly hope this is legit or I'm going to be really pissed off. If they changed the way you make payments online it would have been nice to be notified or at least given some other method by which to pay. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

Original review: March 30, 2021

Xcel customers track your billing statements and compare. 90% of the time they match but... There are times when it WON'T and it will be off by a lot and ALWAYS in their favor. I also suspect the wait times on the phones is because MANY CUSTOMERS question their billing practices. I've contacted Mn PUC & Mn Atty General who are BOTH investigating. So Xcel customers beware.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I set up autopay the previous month, but it didn't deduct on the day it was supposed to--instead it said my account was late and that autopay would deduct for two months next month. This isn't the only problem I've ever had with the website either, it never seems to want to load properly on computer or mobile and their account systems are all over the place. Can't even figure out why my bill is so high half the time.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

We moved and had to sign up with Xcel Energy. We do everything online, so I signed up and they hooked up our power. So far so good. I signed up for the online account and that's when problems started. The sign up process worked, after I activated the security link in the email. For some reason after that I wasn't able to log in any more. When I entered my user/password it would say they were wrong. So I reset my password, and tried again. Still wrong.

I called customer service and they told me it shows in their system that I logged in fine. I convinced them that was not the case, so the only way to move forward was to delete my account and sign up again. After activating my account again, now when I log in, it accepts my password, but only shows a white page and then a "salesforce bad url error". I tried EVERYTHING from different computers (4 total) to different browsers (4 as well), deleting cookies and restarting. I even had my wife sign up (just in case I'm too dumb). ALL resulting in the same error. Customer service doesn't do anything. No call back, no answering of emails, nothing!

Xcel Energy Company Information