Xcel Energy

Colorado

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We have finally had it! We have been fighting with XCEL Energy for OVER 3 years on, what we believe, is a faulty meter or mistake on readings. Our bills have been over $500-$1000 a month, consistently for 3 years! Quick Summary because this is long... We've been fighting XCEL for over 3 years on bills as much as > $1000.00 for a property we bought in July 2013, and the previous owners did not have this problem. Part of that time the house was VACANT and EMPTY and had NO windows, doors, etc. as everything but the exterior structure and been demoed for renovation.

1 Rep for XCEL, "Linda" thought she found the issue on September 9, and told us to hold payments while they investigated. Last week, we got a disconnection notice, and when I called they had no record of "Linda" or her recent discovery. We made a payment on October 7, and XCEL disconnected "By Mistake" on Tuesday October 11, 2016, and it took until 8:30 pm for them to turn it back on without any schedule or ETA. Today, October 13, our meter was switched out without warning or discussion.

Here's the Story: Our home is a 2-story, 1920's home directly facing Wash Park on Downing. We bought the home in the summer of 2013 and it had not been updated since the 1980's. We proceeded to undergo a 90% home remodel and renovation. We kept the structure and historic beauty, but updated the interior and all systems for modern efficiency.

During the initial demo, November-December 2013 and January 2014, Xcel started billing us anywhere from $500-$1000/month for our property. The property was literally empty, dark and vacant, with no windows, doors, etc. We argued we had no electrical power running to the property, and no one living there. However, they said the meter showed use, so we got billed. We continued to get monthly bills ranging from $800-$1000. The home is just about 4000 square feet, and the previous owners never had any issues similar to this. My husband and I even drove by many late nights to see if someone was squatting in the home or using a generator without us knowing. We were determined to figure it out.

However, we have fought them on this issue for 3 years, and we feel like we have been robbed. Now, the home has all new windows, new doors, high-efficiency appliances, complete new duct system, etc. The entire house was rewired and everything was replaced with the most current energy efficient options. The bills did not change. We installed a "Nest" temperature regulator to ensure stabilization. Last March we even hired a specialist to conduct a full home energy audit, and the technician could not find anything out of the ordinary. Our bills continue to be over $1000.

Our previous home was also a pop-top in Wash Park, which we completed in 2011. The home was similar in size, and our bills never reached over $400. It's absolutely impossible that we could be using this much energy. We are a family of 4, with 2 elementary age kids. But, If we refused to pay, they have disconnected us. Which has now happened 3 times. We have begged for a new meter, more frequent reads, a meter test or anything that would help us find the issue, and they continued to ignore us, saying we needed to use less electricity. We have tried everything, and we are now about to install a TED or NEURIO energy tracker.

After another disconnection notice, I called about another high bill, on September 9, 2016, and I finally reached one representative, "Linda", who thought she found the issue. I had asked her to go back through our history, again, and check for any identifying at all that could be off, she thought she found it. She was convinced that we were being billed for a meter on the rental property where we lived during the remodel + our existing home. She thought we asked for disconnection when we moved, and they changed the name on the account, but we were still being billed.

She told me not to pay our bill, and that they would investigate the problem, and most likely, be sending us a refund for the last 15 months. She said to give them 30 days to resolve the issue. She said she recorded notes in the Billing section "Do not disconnect service", and in the service section, "Please check on incorrect billing procedures and customer should be refunded for past incorrect charges".

However, we were never notified of the outcome, and we got another a disconnection notice on 10/7. I immediately called to find out why we had not heard back regarding our resolution, and why instead, we got the disconnection notice. According to the representative, there was NO history of the phone call with "Linda". There were some notes from a "Jason" that said, "the customer asked why she is still being billed for a different property, but service was stopped on August 18, 2015". They then told us we owed a balance of $4,000+ in order to avoid disconnection, today. This was service for June, July, August, and September.

After a lot of begging, we were able to get them to agree to allow us to pay out the high bills with a payment plan. On Friday, October 7, we made a payment of $800 from our checking account, and we agreed to a payment schedule to pay the rest out in monthly installments. However, on Tuesday, October 11 at approximately 11:00 am they disconnected our service with no warning or door tag. My husband and I work from home and electricity is essential for us to work.

After an hour on the phone with them, they finally confirmed that yes, we had made a payment, and the service was disconnected by mistake. However, even though it was their mistake, they would not give us a straight answer on when they would turn it back on. It would be sometime before 10:00 pm, and we had to be home (in the dark and cold) to wait for the tech to come turn it back on. After numerous calls throughout the day, and the same, "we do not have an ETA" answer, a 3rd party technician came out from "True Tech" and knocked on our door around 8:30 pm. He said he had just been paged for the job and ran right over since it was so late. After this incident, on October 11, I filed a report with the BBB and the "Rip Off Report".

Today, October 13, 2016. Evidently, the Meter we have been complaining about was removed at the time of disconnection on Tuesday morning, but there were no notes regarding this procedure. This morning at 8:00 am as my husband was leaving to take the children to school, he noticed an electrician from Xcel at our meter. The meter is hidden behind the garage in the alley. He confronted the tech, and the tech said he was "bringing back our meter", but he didn't know if it was a new meter or an old meter. There was no previous discussion, notice or explanation. We really don't know if he was reading the meter, or replacing the meter the tech brought out on Tuesday night. All of this is odd since we have been complaining about the meter and the probable inaccuracy for 3 years.

We normally don't watch TV or the news, and we not the type of people that would really want to be on a big News Story, but someone has to figure this out and if they are taking advantage of others. We have struggled to pay these high bills, thank goodness we have been able to scrape together the money, but it has not been easy!

I live in Carlsbad Nm. I recently was evicted from my home of 3 yrs. My first three electricity bill was over 500 a month which lead to budget billing that lasted for three yrs paying up to 300 monthly, never even went down. Stood at 2000 and over. The landlord evicted me because he wanted a relative to move in. So I moved and I called Xcel Energy twice in two months to discontinue my service and they won't because they said they called the landlord and the landlord lied and said I still live there however I do have court papers saying the trailer was released to owner on July 12th.

No one lives in the trailer since I moved out and now I have a statement of 2583.00 and from July 7 to Aug 12 the bill is 218.00 and no one lives there. Dark at night and empty during the day but they're still charging me and they won't discontinue my services but yet I'm getting two months of discontinue notices and still has not been shut off. How much longer until they decide to turn it off. They won't even go out there and check let alone check the meter, they are going on estimate not actual. Don't know what to do...

You'd think setting up an electric utility would be easy. Not so. I reside in Westminster, CO. In Colorado, the only service provider for electricity is Xcel. The state has yet to set up a public utility. So our only option is to get service through money hungry Xcel Energy, who is not even headquartered in the state (they are in Minnesota).

In 2013, I moved into a 900 sq ft apartment in Boulder with 2 others. We were suddenly charged $364 for a bill that lasted during our first 9 days of living in the apartment. I tried contacting Xcel and it seemed as if we were getting charged for the past residents' unpaid electricity bill, and they started a complaint form with me. We waited a month and they decided to charge us a late fee instead, and never addressed the complaint. I called back again, only to get the most argumentative representatives I have ever dealt with. For 3 month's worth of phone calls, we debated and complained, ending nowhere and resulting in a forceful payment of $364.

Earlier in 2016, the utility was at it again, charging my partner twice, even though we only authorized a single payment. They even attempted to argue this. However, after 3 days of arguing with the "lovely" representatives, we finally "convinced" them that the charge was wrong after we threatened with reporting them to our financial institution plus with attorney power.

Now they're at it AGAIN with us. During the month of June, we were away from the premises for 12 days. Everything in our unit was turned off. From January-May, we were being charged for approximately 300 kWh per bill. All of a sudden in June (while we were gone), we were charged for an additional 300 kWh making the total 650. How does one explain the sudden surge in usage? Well, their representatives say it was our A/C unit, which was set to 82 degrees. I don't know about you, but I don't believe an AC unit set to 82 would create 300 kW of power. We had it set to 72 in the month of May, or even LOWER. Now we are terrified to turn it over 80. I have complained to the Public Utilities Commission of Colorado about this issue, and am still awaiting a response.

Today, the real kicker came though. While filling out a form to cancel the service for my apartment, since I am moving to Oregon, I discovered they have only been estimating how much electricity would be used in my unit. To get an actual meter read for my final bill, they would like to charge me an additional $24 as a "service fee." Hm, looks like they've not been actually reading my meter all along!!! They wanted an extra $24 a month to ACTUALLY get an ACCURATE read on my meter. Basically, they will charge you $24 a month if you request someone to come out and read your meter. Which is their job in the first place.

Xcel Energy, your money hungry ways are pathetic. Besides affecting my own life, it has affected the lives of many Coloradans. For example, the company is set to build a giant solar farm here in Colorado. The PUC originally declined it, but looks like they were bartered off with their stubborn representatives. With the addition of this solar farm, Colorado residents could see an extra $20-$30 per month added on to their bills. Also, this would make it illegal for a Colorado resident to harness their own solar electricity. Xcel Energy, go back to Minnesota and mess up people's lives there. There is no need for this forced monopolistic corporatism here in Colorado.

My husband and recently I bought a house in Pueblo. We called to have the gas service turned on Wednesday morning. The girl assured us a technician would be out that afternoon. Nobody came. I called on Thursday. The man assured us that our order was 'on a truck' and a technician would be out that day FOR SURE. He told me multiple times he 'sees it in [his] computer' and gave me information based on what he saw. It turns out he was LITERALLY MAKING THINGS UP while speaking to me. I asked how late the technician might come. The man told me 3:30pm and that the technician was going to be there soon. I told him the time was already past as it was already 4:00pm. The man apologized and told us the technician would be out on Friday FOR SURE.

I called Friday morning to confirm that a technician was coming out. The girl I spoke with assured me that the order was 'on a truck' (again) and somebody would be out that day. She had no way to connect me with this mystery technician to confirm that I needed to spend another full business day sitting here waiting for the gas company guy to show up. Nobody came. Again.

Today is Monday. We have been cold for 5 days now as night time temps have been in the 20's here. I called (again) and was assured (again) that a technician would be out today. The technician finally called at 11:30am!!! He then asked us if 'the water had been turned on yet'. It had not. He told us he could not possibly turn on our gas service until the water was connected per company policy. NOBODY ASKED US ABOUT THIS OR TOLD US ABOUT THIS!!! If this was actually company policy, why hadn't anyone addressed this question to us???

I called the customer service line again after I got off the phone with the technician and scheduled the water to be turned on. The girl said she'd never even heard about that rule. She then rescheduled our appointment to... Today. When, today? Sometime today. How late do I need to wait at home for the technician? She had NO WAY OF KNOWING. Wow. Way to drop the ball Xcel Energy - we've had AWFUL service from your company and we don't even have our service connected yet!!! Obviously nothing is written in stone, but I don't see good things coming in the future from dealing with this company.

Everyone I've spoken to at Xcel Energy has been a nice, kind human being. That being said, it's OBVIOUS that this company's communication skills are DEPLORABLE. I know that sometimes things don't go so well when working with large companies, but having agents making things up, literally know nothing about the service requirements, who can't tell me when to expect a technician to arrive or even what hours they work and lack the ability to communicate with local technician crews is RIDICULOUS. This company gets an 'A' for having nice, friendly staff and an 'F' for their customer service quality.

My son lived in a building in Boulder that recently began a renovation project. His apartment was switched and he notified Xcel of the move. He finally moved out of the building and advised Xcel again. Xcel continued to bill him. I called Xcel and they were rude and said they would check it out but have not returned calls or notified me other than to send additional bills and automatic calls to my phone advising that a bill is due. It seems, in reviewing this blog, that this is fairly common.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xcel Energy?

I had called into the Xcel Energy Customer Service number around the July 4th weekend to let them know I needed my service to be disconnected and did not need service to be transferred. I also, at the time of the call, let the representative know that the last week of June I was not at the residence and in the process of moving due to serious harassment issues with a neighbor living across from me in **. I gave my notice to vacate the Glen Apts on 6/30/15 and was moved out on July 7th. After several attempts in speaking with several different reps at Xcel Energy because I kept getting calls from the company for payment in which should be directly charged to the Glen Apts and tried explaining my situation and the representatives were rude and have kept adding charges to my acct even though I had done the right thing by contacting the company to disconnect my service.

I received a bill on July 23 for an amount of $309.33, and the bill shows as a "past due" amount which right away showed me that my bill for that residence was showing active. I called Xcel customer service again on July 24 9:20 a.m mountain time, and the representative not only told me that it was never documented that I had called in to have my service disconnected, accused me of being a liar and that I had never called in and I would not only get my deposit back from Xcel, but that I am fully responsible for current charges and the representative showed no empathy or any professionalism over the matter.

Before I ended the call I let the rep know that I would not waste my time calling in again because apparently this type of behaviour is allowed and I will not pay for charges that should have been disconnected in the 1st place. I have all paperwork required to prove my case and do not feel it is right that this company thinks they can push people around and incur charges on someone who is no longer even living at that residence.

In the easement along my property the power lines are resting in trees. Judging by how the branches have grown along the lines of contact, it's been more than five years in this condition. Trees along both properties on either side of me have taken down the lines in the 2.5 years I've been here. So Xcel knows what's going on. If you have ever seen how power is layer in 'developing' parts of the world, then you get the picture. The last tree to fall tipped their pole even more, dropping the service line to my house even more. It's now low enough that I could touch it with a bat. Xcel said they would return to improve the situation. But that has been over a month ago.

House was struck by lightning, call Xcel Energy. The power leg from the transformer to the house was out so they had to come and replace the line however they did not. And they still have not. I have kids running around and it's the Fourth of July weekend. I called Xcel Energy to expedite them to bury it and they said they're trying to soon as possible and it takes up to 10 business days. This is unacceptable, this is an emergency life and death such as if a kid was to run across the line, it would kill them. They should have systems in place to be buried expeditiously and immediately after running a line. This is a transformer line to my panel above ground where my kids play. Xcel you suck. The rep ** was a total jerk. I tried to get a supervisor and could not get a supervisor. So can you tell me if I tried to pay my bill whenever I want is acceptable? I may have to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

So I moved into my place on 5/1/15. I started service on 5/2/15 via online. So I'm all moved in - everything is in working order. Now to the current so on today 5/18/15 @ 12:30 I'm getting ready for work and all of a sudden my power turns off. I called Xcel and they say it takes 8-10 days for service to be completed. Well it has been 16 days. I have spoken to 8 reps and they said my service will be restored by 10pm. Well now it's 10:30 and still no service. I was told that it takes 24 to restore.

Please explain to me why my service was disconnected in the first place. My family should not have to suffer because you guys messed up on your end. I was told that it was an accident - well if that's the case turn my power back on. Oh and I was told by ** that my son being on oxygen is not an emergency. Who in the heck says something like that to a mother. Now inconvenienced we have to stay in a hotel until they decide to restore power. Sincerely a very irate and angry customer.

I rented my home out for years. I returned to the home because renters were damaging property. I call Jan and asked them to turn on electricity. I had a couple very large bills and called to complain, they explained they would fix it. Next they wanted to change out our meter because it was broken. They then sent out another 400 dollar bill. When I asked what was going on apparently the renters did not pay their last bill so I was responsible... Really what are talking about and does everyone just pay bills without explanation of charges. This is fraud. How do I know what is actually on that meter, they said it was broken... Very fishy. I want to have a choice to use a different company!

I made a mistake doing some landscaping last year, and put a stake through a gas line that was not that deep. A huge truck that was fit for military deployment showed up. Eventually a guy dug down a few feet manually, crimped the line, lit a cigarette, and made the repair. Then the monster truck sat for another hour out front doing nothing. Sure enough, I got a bill for the extended period of time, $700 bucks. I paid $350 and I guess I missed a second notice, and was sent to collections with a collection agency called McCarthy, Burgess & Wolff, who have a rating of about 0 on many reputable websites. I paid the outstanding balance on the McCarthy, Burgess & Wolff website, and the money was withdrawn from my banking about.

Somehow, the next day, I got an email saying that the money was being refunded for some reason. I assumed that I had already paid it. NOT - I have gotten three phone messages since making payment saying I owe money. They do not have evening or weekend business hours. I have paid Xcel energy over $100,000 over the years, it is disappointing that this whole thing has occurred the way it has. I am not sure if McCarthy, Burgess & Wolff is a scam based on some online postings, and I am afraid to make another payment online. I was also overcharged by the Monopolistic Xcel Energy to begin with, who could dictate any price they want on charges like this. I asked if I could contest it and they said no. Xcel will also not let me pay them directly.

Xcel energy has been a thorn in my side for years. They have a monopoly in Wisconsin and Minnesota so you’re screwed. They are allowed to raise their rates all the time. I live in a 800 square foot house and my energy bill has been around 189.00 a month or more for years. I was late on my bill and authorized them to take money out of my account on a payment plan. They took 2 withdrawals and overdrafted my account. I could not go to work because I couldn't get gas and they said they would rectify it but have not as of yet 3 hours later. I am missing 130.00 day of work to pay for their screw up. BIG BUSINESS ALWAYS WINS.

Broken/exposed wires on transformer box -- We have a transformer box that needs to be repaired. I have been calling Xcel Energy for the last two months, left several messages and no one calls us back. I have also called the supervisor **. He will not call me back either. I'm the property mgr of this property and have over 300 kids on my site. That box is huge safety concern and Xcel seems to believe it's not. Help!!!

I called to have my power restored because of my past due balance. I asked how soon it could be turned on and he had told me by the end of the day tomorrow, which would be 5 pm. I have paid the bill and have work in the morning yet they can't take 5 min to come out and turn it on? Not to mention it's cold here at night! Ugh. So glad I'm moving to another state.

One day after due date (even when falls on a Sunday) I receive a disconnect notice, REALLY?!?! If there was another company I could choose from I wouldn't have gone with these ** wads.

Never enroll for Xcel Energy auto-pay. They don't cease to stop charging your bank even after cancellation, their customer-care never helps you. My nightmare with them still continues even after 3 months of cancellation.

I only receive gas service from Xcel (the city is my electric provider) and my bill is always fair even in peak my months. However the arrogance of their employees is frustrating. They're exclusively a union company and have some false sense of self entitlement from this... They're humans just like the rest of us... Any of you that have issues with overcharging from them just contact the PUC (Public Utilities Commission). They have authority over public utilities companies and they're on YOUR side, not the unions.

I have been with Xcel Energy for 3 years at this location. When I started the service, I paid $250 deposit. I have had hard times, money is tight, so I have been paying late. I paid late, I pay all the late fees and they never had to disconnect me. Now, because of my payment history, they want an additional $1,049 deposit. I can't pay that. Is that legal? I can't change companies because there is only one. I am stuck.

16deg out and Xcel disconnect us for non payment which been set for autopay. No bills, no notice, no calls. They know it's winter this week, the tech climb the fence with no authorization. He thinks it's fun in disconnecting us. Kids are freezing. :( I gather my kids and pile up a bunch of blanket. Thank goodness for a big black lab. He gives us more warmth/heat. Supervisor said they call and send notice. I called back cause got cut off then I ask another tech and said "we can't send you notice and bill because you signup for online pay, and we can't call you because there's no phone number on file." Can't get their story straight. Why on winter? No communication, period! Then disconnected!!

Xcel may do many wonderful things...but they tend to stonewall about complaints. Their contractors cut down a tree that I did not want them to. They appear to double-charge from time to time on overlapping billing periods (overlap is one or two days). I have not been able to verify this yet due to my limited time. Although the latest bill looks better...the bill has been filled with advertisements and is so poorly formatted .... takes forever to extract useful info. I could improve their bill in 30 minutes of work...although Xcel would be unhappy about losing manipulation effects.

I am a single mother with no child support living in a tiny apartment... Yet my payments are over $100 a month. I can't pay that. So I pay when I can. I Miss last month and now they expect me to pay 400 dollars of my $468 bill in three days time. This is absurd. They are the only company here and they know it. They take advantage of their customers and their customer service representatives are rude and judgmental. I've been refused access to managers twice and they refuse to take even 300 in the three days. I don't have enough money to keep my electric bill current. It’s price gouging at its worst.

Xcel Energy has been ripping me off for years. When I call them.., (throughout the last 13 years) their "customer service agents" have no idea how to rectify my ENORMOUS BILL. I have asked for an adjustment/someone to come out and check the issue/how I can monitor my usage myself?... NO help. I live alone... have had no A/C for the first time in my home in 13 years since I finally agreed to their "saver switch" which they promptly came out and installed on my A/C. From that time on... I had NO A/C. I called them and let them know I had no A/C... They said, "That does not happen. Must be something wrong with your A/C." I still have no A/C. It's been months. At the same time... My hot tub was put on hold... not working due to a pump malfunction... even more electric down. Today, Xcel wants Over $500.00 from me for the past month. A li'l old lady and three cats? Come on.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I am extremely pleased that Xcel Energy investigated my issue with our electric bill. They called today to say the issue had been resolved. They did an outstanding job in responding to my e-mail detailing the issue. I am very happy with their attention to meet our concerns. As a science teacher this has been a rewarding experience to share with my students. We learn about the ways we need to be responsible for communicating our concerns about energy usage. Thank you Xcel for helping to teach young people about resolutions! I look forward to many years of happy service with Xcel.

Mark or Wanda (Jeanie) of Hobbs, NM on

Original Review

Xcel Energy is our energy company for our home in Hobbs, NM and until now we have never had a problem with the company. But, we are moving to Canyon, TX in May of the new year (2015). We had a small home built in Canyon and it is already finished. We signed papers on the home in late July. We have not lived in the home yet. We stayed one night and then came back to Hobbs. The home has an alarm system that alerts us if any door or window is opened. No one was in the home for the time period between July 21st and the first read of the electric meter on July 29th. There are NO electrical appliances in the home. When we left the home on July 21st no fans were on and the air conditioner was set on 85. For the 9 days that we owned the home we received an electric bill that stated a beginning ESTIMATED reading of 101 had been recorded and an ACTUAL reading was recorded at 797. The bill shows a usage of 696 kWh for 9 days. The bill was for $74.86.

I have called many times to explain that this is an unreasonable amount of energy usage for an unoccupied home with no electrical appliances even in the home. EVERY time I call I have to start my explanation all over. The answers have been: "there is a problem with how the house was wired, talk to your builder," "the builder is allowed to estimate the beginning number," "your builder only used 1 kWh a day when he was in the home so someone must have been in the home without you knowing about it," "we could send someone out to check the meter but if nothing is wrong with it then there will be a charge of $89.00 for a meter read," "the newer meters are not faulty" and finally "you need to send someone out to read your meter and call us with the number that is now on the meter".

So, I asked my brother-in-law to go out to the house on August 4th (he lives in Amarillo and works for Xcel). He went to the home on August 5th. On July 29th when the meter read 797 until August the 5th (the evening he went to read the meter) the meter read 804. So now in 6 days the home only used 7 kWh hrs. of energy!! I am completely exasperated with Xcel. Every time I call they give me these stories of how this could have happened that are untrue. They tell me they are going to investigate the problem but they do not investigate. They tell me they are going to call me back - they have not called me back, and they get very upset if I even suggest the problem lies with the ESTIMATE or with their meter. They said they did send in a report to have the meter checked. But they did not tell me what the report showed.

I was told today, August 14th, to just pay the bill and then they would investigate. When I explained that I did not want this reading of that much energy usage in my records, they just said, "pay the bill!" I am very disappointed in Xcel - they are not an ethical company and they need to be investigated for their lack of resolving an issue that is clearly not acceptable.

I am a Soldier stationed in Colorado and have noticed that my bill fluctuates every month. I thought it was just me and my wife, but we have noticed that regardless of what we do, we still have a high bill. The icing on the cake was when we were gone for most of March for my wife's dad funeral and we come back and our bill was still high. I don't understand when there was nothing turned on and everything unplugged.

Channel 7 News in Denver confirmed that Xcel Energy has been overbilling customers since Oct 2011 for natural gas. Call Xcel Energy and ask what your ALTITUDE is. We are finding customers being set at the wrong altitude (elevation, but they call it "altitude"). Business or resident, call them to confirm they are doing it correctly. If you cannot get it resolved at Xcel Energy, then call your Public Utilities Commission who oversees them. Xcel Energy needs to review EVERYONE's bills, not only those who complain.

During the hottest part of the summer my power bill averaged $130.00 with 3 window air conditioner units, but as winter arrived my power bill went from $85.00 to almost $200.00 monthly. When I called Xcel about the increase the only thing I heard from the talking head on the line was forced air heating, electric stove, electric water heater, electric room heaters. Everything out of her mouth was electric this and electric that and could or would not understand when I was saying my home is all natural gas, that I live alone, that the main light on in my home at night is a whole 7 watts and I leave nothing on when I go to bed.

Once I got that across she fixated on my gas heater and the nonexistent forced air system as I tried to explain that my furnace is radiant and does not have a fan or blower of any type. After an hour she finally gave in and said she was ordering a meter test that would be done by the 15th of February but I had to pay one half of the current bill of $184.60 which I did. Well, it's now the 17th and no meter test. I called and was informed that due to the severe weather in my area it might take a week or two longer but now the balance of $92.30 is due. They said my service might be disrupted and that would cancel the meter test.

The only problem is that has been no severe weather other than cold and this sparked another issue as he has no clue of what the weather is like here and it seems to be just another stunt by Xcel. I ask him if he had access to the weather data from my area and when he said no, I offered to give him the web address to my weather station so he could look at the data going back some 7 months.

The other issue I have with Xcel is I have attempted to explain I am DAV and live off of a small VA petition and after paying my monthly bills, buying food and other basic items I never have a $100 left over. Did I get a "Thank you for your service?" not that I required, requested or wanted it, all I got was "You need to borrow it, or your service might be interrupted."

During the first call, I was informed that my meter was an RFID meter meaning that a vehicle with a special receiver drives by and the meter transmits the information to the truck. She swore this was the truth as that is what her records stated. So I took a picture of the meter and offered to e-mail it to Xcel as it is a very old meter, but again I was wrong. So, let me get this straight, my son who happens to be a master electrician and dumb ole me who once held a 2nd class technicians license with radar endorsement, a 3rd class license and a general class amateur radio license are completely wrong, and someone sitting 1000 miles away, whose previous employment was most likely in fast food knows so much more about what I see with my own two eyes? Ok! Guess I am truly am the Village Idiot!

I also attempted to make her understand that I live alone and that when I leave a room, the lights are turned off as she continued on about lights being left on in empty rooms and about using energy efficient lights which I do in every room except the bath where I have 1 - 40 watt incandescent bulb that is only on while I am in the bath and only during the night when the sun is down.

All in all, being on a small, fixed income I pay close attention to all of my monthly bills and usage of power and gas, and at times set the furnace at 64 degrees, ensure every light is off and monitor everything to kept my usage as low as possible. Even last winter when we had a blizzard and very cold temperatures my power bill was less than half as it is now. Unlike auto insurance, cable provider or other services I use, when it comes to the power or gas I don't have a choice of simply changing to another company. It's either pay their very high bills or move back to the 18th century.

As soon as the cold weather hit in Dec 2013 my electric bill more than doubled. My bill went from $85 in November to $200 in Dec. 2013 and $200 in Jan. 2014. I was alarmed, called Xcel to find out what was going on (nothing according to them), and finally started tracking my usage. What I found was completely unreasonable. I work long hours, so I'm not home much, and I live alone (1200 sq ft). My energy use should be pretty minimal during the week. I shut off the heat at 8:00 am and turn it back on at 7:00 pm (set to 69 degrees). From Dec 2013 through Jan 2014 on average I apparently use 72 kWh of energy on each weekday (when I'm at work) and 59 kWh on Sat and Sun (when I'm home). I don't get it. Can someone explain electricity to me? I would very much like to science please.

We have lived in Nederland, Colorado since 1999. Since this past summer, the electric power has gone out for multiple hours at a time. At a town meeting a few weeks ago with the Board Of Trustees, three representatives made a 10 minute presentation explaining why this has been happening. The summary was this is a big grid that is old and hard to get to the parts which have failed. Many citizens (about 10) spoke for 3 minutes each, and explained how being without electric power has affected them personally and professionally. Some of those power outages occurred while the outside temperature was about -20F for an entire week.

This morning's outage began at about 330AM and lasted until about 830AM, and according to an Xcel representative on the phone was caused by a wire on the ground. A few days ago, there was an outage which began with 20-30 minutes of power flashing on and off about 1x/second; there were several local businesses which had failed compressors and electronic equipment because of the continuous power surging. In general, our community does not feel that Xcel has been performing their due diligence in maintaining the power lines, depends too much on people calling in to tell them when the power is out instead of monitoring it themselves, and is draining the pool of maintenance funds by rewarding their executives with bonuses for a job well done.

Xcel Energy is the ONLY electricity provider in Northern Texas. I have been required to upgrade my meter box to accommodate their new digital meters which cost me $600. This was in addition to other fees the company charged. The meter was removed from my grandmother's home (where she had paid Xcel's bills for about 50 years and was "grandfathered" in). When she passed away from cancer, the home was vacant for a year so they removed the meter and would not allow us to put another in without upgrading the meter even though this was costly and unnecessary. Six months after I did all of this, a representative called me and let me know that they were adding $600 on to my bill for a 2 and a half year old bill that my son's father owed to them.

He does not live with me, but we do share a child together and as a condition of his child support agreement he helps me with bills and other items my children need such as ELECTRICITY. He paid 2 of my electric bills with the same account he had used to pay his electric bills almost 3 years ago so they said that linked me to him and I am now responsible for his bill. I have had service separate from my X for 2 and 1/2 years and have been paying faithfully every month. Recently I had issues with paying the bill so the father of my children paid it (we are not and have not ever been married). Now I am suddenly responsible for his bill?

I am not sure how as a single mother of 2 I will ever be able to pay this bill on top of the $300 bill the company hit me with for my current service, and I have no competitor to turn to. MONOPOLY. If the government is backing these type of business practices then our country is in for trouble!

Xcel Energy is getting away with something the country has frowned upon since the birth of free enterprise in America. Taking advantage of their monopolistic position as the sole public energy provider in Colorado, they charge usurious rates. I am the finance director for a chain of tanning & phototherapy salons, two of which are in Boulder, Colorado. One is part of a mall, and thus is part of a different power plan. Our location on University Hill, however, has become a victim of Xcel's outrageous pricing strategy. Because we exceeded a threshold of power demand in a 15-minute period in March of 2013 (our busiest time of year), we were bumped into a much higher rate bracket. So, even in our slow seasons like May, June, and July, we are billed as if we were using the same power as in March. In May, we paid $1.90 per customer to Xcel use a bed. Our average revenue is $39.95 per customer per month – say that customer came 12 times in May which would amount to $22.64 in energy fees going straight to Xcel. To us, this feels as if Xcel is basically robbing us, taking 57% of our revenue right off the top. If there were any competitors in the industry that gave them price competition, Xcel would never be able to do this.

We have called multiple times, and continue to get nowhere. For a company whose CEO brags that "Xcel operates ethically and honestly," claiming this as a statement that is backed by "a reputation in the community and among shareholders," they are doing a pretty terrible job of sticking to their own motto. Nothing is ethical about turning a blind-eye to such a financially damaging scenario as this. Colorado needs to privatize the energy industry and stop letting Xcel engage in such horrendous price discrimination.

Xcel Energy Company Profile