1.43/5

Need a utility company?

Colorado

Need a utility company?

78 Xcel Energy Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I'm not one to leave rude reviews but I have never hated a company more than I hate Xcel. There is nothing quite like a company that refuses to replace old equipment that desperately needs to be replaced to the point where our power goes out at least 3 times a month for no weather related issues or anything other than the fact that our equipment is just way too old. I am currently writing this review at 4 in the morning. Our power went out an hour ago, woke the whole family up. It is such a common occurrence here that we are used to having no lights and AC and not being able to sleep because it is way too hot since none of our fans work either since the power is out. Not only this, but we can no longer rely on keeping our cars in our garage because our power goes out so frequently and we have had to throw out numerous amounts of food due to losing power for over 8 hours at once.

Not to mention, we have contacted Xcel about the excessive loss of food and they told us they would reimburse us for what we lost since our power goes out so frequently. Months later and we still have yet to be paid back a dime. Every time our power goes out they tell us it will be restored by a certain time but this means absolutely nothing as we learned the company has not even come out to start working on the issue by the time they said it would be fixed. We actually called to ask why an outage that's supposed to be 2 hours keeps getting extended to 8 hours and the lady on the phone said they had not even begun working on fixing it but they know people will be annoyed if they tell them the real time it will be fixed so they just make up a time and then keep delaying it after that.

This particular time we called, the power went out in the middle of the night and Xcel said that it would be restored by 7:30. 7:30 rolled around and they all of a sudden extended it to 9:30. This kept happening until it was all of a sudden 5:00 at night before anybody was even in our area to fix the power. How in the world would the power be restored at 7:30 in the morning if nobody even starts working on it til 5? Right now, Xcel estimates our power will be restored by 6:30 in the morning but we all know that it is just going to keep getting extended. It is currently August 21st and we are without power. 6 days ago, our power went out as well. We cannot even make it a full week without losing power again.

All of the houses around our neighborhood of 120 customers constantly have power. We are just the lucky 120 who get to put up with this because our equipment is old. I get that power goes out in the dead of winter and that's understandable but it does not matter what time of year it is or what time of day, our power goes out at all hours and all seasons but especially summer, the hottest time of the year. What's even worse is that one of my neighbors has to be hooked up on oxygen 24/7. He does have a backup for the many times the power goes out resulting in his tank no longer working but we keep saying what if his backup were to fail?

It is absolutely ridiculous every time we lose power and Xcel is an absolute pain to deal with. They do not care at all that the equipment needs to be replaced, they don't care we are frequently without power, they are nasty on the phone and get mad at us when we are just trying to be able to have power, and they lie to us and say they will fix it by a certain time just to, "avoid customers getting upset because the people haven't even come out to start working on it". One particular employee I talked to was literally going off about how one time we only lost power for 2 hours so it can't be that bad and completely ignored all of the many more times that outweigh this time where we lost power for 6-8 hours at a time which is honestly quite common here, all because they keep coming up with excuses to not fix our equipment.

Needless to say, after 2 years of putting up with this, we have finally just realized that our power going out for long periods of time multiple times a month is STILL not enough to qualify for this to be a problem, according to Xcel. Since they won't do anything, we are finally just moving. If we could have switched to a different company, we would have been the first ones to switch but of course, Xcel is a monopoly so that's not an option. And because they're a monopoly, they can treat their customers however they want because they don't have to worry about people leaving for another company. As the title says, this is hands down the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Another bad experience with the electric utility company. They don't have smart meters and so meters are read by physical meter reader personnel in MN. Our first and initial reading was way off (I took pictures of both electric and gas meters to make sure we had no gas leaks or stray electrical drains prior to moving in). First bill was enormous based on the wrong first reading. Customer service on the phone was very rude, unaccommodating, and uninformed to say the least. If you have options, I would look elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I'm being charged electric on a place I've already moved out of over a month ago. I asked them to stop and they were less than polite in telling me they wouldn't help me, and they will continue to charge me, and not refund me. It should not take an army to stop being billed for something I'm no longer using. You're better off buying solar panels and getting your own electricity than using this company. Shady business practices and zero accountability, and they have a monopoly so they can do whatever they please.

Original review: July 3, 2019

My electric got cut off like 3 days ago _ I paid it 3 days ago & they still haven't came to turn it on...it's so very hot for my children & they still haven't came out.. What gets me is that it don't take them long to come out & shut it off but to reconnect it. It's ridiculous. What can I do?

Original review: May 24, 2019

I am 7 months pregnant and today is my second day staying in dark even after I made my payment. I called them and the person who answered the phone treated me like crazy and she told me I have to wait until Tuesday. Today is Friday and imagine staying in dark for another couple of days. I try talk to the manager. She said she can't transfer me but she can put my number in call back list and she said they will call me between 48 hours.

I hang up the phone and call back to speak with a different person. She transferred me without any problem but the person who supposed to help me was veryyy very rude. I explained to her everything and my situation. I'm pregnant. I live alone. It's not safe for me to stay in dark and She said, "That's not our problem. You have to wait until next week. Until that go somewhere and find your safety." I told her, "I'm not from here. I don't have anywhere to go." She said, "Go stay in shelter." My heart is burning like a fire right now. I can't even believe this kind of people exist in this country. America is all about care and love especially when it comes to women's, children's and stuff. I don't know. I'm out of words right now. My hands are shaking and all my body is sweating. I never felt like this before. Never. I'll never recommend this company to anyone. Neverrr.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xcel Energy?

Original review: April 26, 2019

Terrible services, selected auto pay, didnt apply. Was told if autopay was enabled no deposit was going to be needed. Got a bill with deposit requiring and an email saying payment is due, when it's not.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I was on the power out program and was taken off the program. Well they didn't pay my past due balance like the program said they would so now I am looking at being disconnected because they refuse to work with me on a payment arrangement. I have no problem paying what I owe them but they should work with customers. They are very condescending and have even told lies that I haven't paid any of my bill since January to someone that was trying to help me get an extension on my payment arrangement. I am just pissed and if I could switch I would in a heartbeat! I am so sick of them and all their crap.

Original review: April 12, 2019

They are overcharging me and there is nothing I can do about it. I wish I could go to another company but Xcel is the only gas and electric company in our area. This company gets away with robbery. There is no way I should be getting charged like this. Someone needs to check Xcel. They are robbing my **. Whoever reads this check your usage especially in the 80011 zip code because they are probably robbing your ** too. If I could give them no stars I would. No help for the middle class!

Original review: March 4, 2019

I live in Stoddard Wisconsin. I have no way to check or monitor my own usage due to the meters being locked inside a storage building. I am being charged $193 for the month of February. Even though my usage has not changed and February being the shortest month of the year my usage has jumped by almost $70. I wouldn't have this problem or could at least prove what is going on if I could monitor my meter.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Xcel took $300 more than I owed them this month. Called to ask what the heck was going on and was told that I must have entered the wrong amount when I paid my bill. My account is set up to auto pay. I didn't enter anything. Was told they couldn't credit my bank account, they'd have to send me a check in a week or so. No urgency. Not unkind, just didn't give a rip that they took money that wasn't theirs.

Xcel Energy Company Information