Florida

3.0/5 (402 ratings)

About Duke Energy of Florida

Duke Energy of Florida Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of Florida?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of Florida?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I would honestly give it 0 stars if I could. Due to Hurricane Ian we've been out of power since Wednesday, it is now Sunday and they haven't done anything at all! My poor animals are hot and miserable as are the rest of us. They've been changing dates of when our power is supposed to be back on, yet they keep delaying.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

I had an account with Duke Energy for sometimes, on and off, due to the fact that I was a residential customer first then as a landlord. Today, I got a bill from Duke Energy Florida for about 10 days of service between tenants and wanted to pay it off online. First, the email sent the bill as an attachment and asked me to open it with my account number as password (the account number was clear text on the email, you kidding me, that's your security measure?). Okay, I entered the account number as prompted, but not, it said it was invalid password. So the bill could not be opened.

Then I went to the website and tried to log in. First, I tried to register with my account number, but it told me that I could not register because their system already had my email. Okay, I returned to login page, and used my email to get a password reset link - it didn't say if email had been sent successfully or not. I checked, no email, no in junk mails.

As a software developer myself, this level of incompetence outraged me beyond belief. Obviously, there was some blow-up of their database at some point, as my login that I saved with My LastPass vault when I set up my account last year was not recognized by their system and when I tried to use the "Forgot My Password" link to reset my password, assuming that I had written down my password wrong, the reset email never came. So, I am in a limb - can't print my Bill from the email they sent me, can't login online, can't register my account (because they already had my email) - and all these frustrations were just because I wanted to pay my bill. WTF!!!

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

Duke Energy gross profit for the twelve months ending June 30, 2022 was $18.800B!!! Read that again. Every month I receive a disconnect notice, added to text messaging for the pending shut off date. I call this fear mongering, when in fact it seems to me that Duke Energy is gouging it's customers with double digit increases. When an energy bill doubles within a year, there is great cause for concern. Duke Energy has done a very good job for justifying the reasons why these increases that are passed on to the customer are needed. I call **, and a good job for snowing everyone through their pr campaign. Their website encourages customers to seek outside help through other agencies to help pay the bill - this in itself raises all kinds of red flags ... While Duke's profits are in the billions. This business practice deserves a class action suit, this is a monopoly that needs government intervention at the very least.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

We have been a customer of Duke Energy for years. Our power flickers which is very harmful to our appliances and electronics. This happens regularly - several times a day is not unusual. We have another power outage today for a few hours. This happens every 3 to 4 weeks on a regular basis. The service is, in other words, quite terrible.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

I bought my house in Nov2021 from a previous owner where solar panels and system is installed from 2017. After home is closed, spoke to Duke on phone about account transfer and they said since I am new owner of house credits on solar won’t be transferred and I have to build them over the years again, I found this okay then I asked how do I build, was said they build from now and all I had to do was account transfer and was said initial months would be billed as I will have 0 credits.

After 6 months still no credits (my solar panels generated around 1400 kWh avg). Then I reached customer service again on phone, now they said I had to register with a solar department of theirs (which they never said 6 months before. When I asked why it was not mentioned their response was just, "We are sorry," but was getting bills of $200 or above average). I registered with so called their department of the solar program but asked what happened to the energy my home generated. Their response was since it was not monitored from their side they cannot say how much was generated but it was used (like robbing my energy).

Now after one month of solar dept registration still no credits. Customer service again, now they say I spelled the city name on application wrong and said they sent email (which went to spam folder) and waiting on me. I asked, "Why didn’t you mail a letter when you were mailing bills," their response was to reduce paper wastage. Seriously DUKE you can waste paper on sending bills but not on clean energy? And my question still stays what happened to the energy my home generated that renters your grid, it will not go into thin air. You used it and I have stats from my solar panel system on how much my home generated on a month by month and even day by day basis. You are simply robbing energy from people, profiting of it and then billing them again. If anyone have similar situation let’s fight together.

Original review: July 20, 2022

Snowbird in Florida for the last 20 years so I shut my power of when I leave Florida but now I have to pay 30.00 per month as a minimum charge. Totally abusive but I have no choice. They really don't care about their customers. They have total control over us... Very abusive attitude... They had a seasonal rate before but now it's pay whether you use it or not...How can they justify 30/month?

Original review: June 27, 2022

We called to start our new electric service. We wanted to put in my wife's name and she speaks English well but when person on phone heard my wife she insisted on using an interpreter and ignored our questions and would not let me her husband who will also be on the account talk for her even though she gave her permission to talk to me. Duke needs to hire people who are not aggressive but are patient and kind.

Original review: June 18, 2022

I NEVER go on sites and complain about service but this is getting ridiculous. They constantly have their equipment go “offline” and our community suffers. I work from home and having to rely on a company with the amount of problems they have is unacceptable. If I could give them 0 stars I would. The lack of efficiency and effort put in to get repairs done is a timely manner is also very alarming. I have gone hours without power and I don’t live in the middle of nowhere!!! If you move to Florida, be careful what area you live in. I am luckily moving to a different county soon and will have a different Electric Company.

Original review: June 1, 2022

I can't help but be outraged that Duke Energy has found a way to nullify my investment in clean energy. Not even a year after having my panels installed this "minimum fee" of $30 regardless of how much power you produce shows up. This is pure greed and should be a crime being that they are the only option.

Original review: April 20, 2022

The people are not trained. They always give you the wrong info. Very sad we have to deal with them, people are knocking mine door claiming they work with Duke Energy, I try to get license plates but they always waking, file a complaint, but nobody stops all the scammers.

Duke Energy of Florida Company Information