2. Homeowners

Florida

4.0/5 (252 ratings)

About Duke Energy of Florida

Duke Energy of Florida Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of Florida?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of Florida?

Original review: April 21, 2021

I have 2 complaints.

1) The balanced billing offered to me by Duke Energy at my Clermont Florida address is a fraud. I would end up paying more to Duke for the privilege of paying a consistent dollar amount monthly. I have balanced billing at my home in North Dakota and that gives me a bill that is equalized throughout the year. I never pay for more than what I use,

2) I have surge protection at my Florida home and have not been able to use it. I recently attempted to call in a claim and was on hold for more than half an hour so I accepted the recorded offer to leave a call back number. After waiting a couple of hours I called again and chose a different option and had the human on the other end switch me to the repair line

After waiting about 10 mins. I got a technician who explained to me why my garage door opener would not be covered. I then ask about canceling a service that I have paid for 12 years and have never been able to use and was told that if I dropped the coverage the surge protector device on my service connection would be removed putting me in an even more vulnerable position. It occurs to me that after 12years I've paid for the device that at least offers me the illusion of some protection. IMHO Duke Energy should be required to place the surge protection device on every home it services. I certainly believe that after 12 years of paying for a service I have paid for the physical surge protector.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I've had Duke for years in my first apartment and never had a problem, it was honestly perfect even when my mate moved out they made it super easy to switch accounts. And then I moved into a new house and they wanted $500 to just turn the power on. Then an extra $25 connection fee, and then made us pay an extra bill for some reason that wasn't even linked to any previous property I had. We don't even live in the house and they were telling us that our monthly payments have to be at least $250. I really regret moving to Florida and ever meeting this company after today. They're just a rip off just like Orange County Utilities.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 28, 2021

Duke Energy are straight thieves and the most unethical company I have dealt with in my life, I moved into a brand new smart home and initially my electric bill ran 295-305 a month for a almost 3000 sq foot home, so when they sent me a mailer about a energy efficient plan and they would do a review and lock me into a rate every month I said yes thinking it would be lower than what I had been paying for over a half a year, so they come back with 305 a month not much of a savings!

So the pandemic hits. There is a moratorium on not cutting anyone's electric off. I continue to pay faithfully, then I noticed my bill jumps to 795 four months into this so called scam of a energy efficient plan. This goes on for over four consecutive months until I call and ask what in the hell is going on and they proceeded to tell me this plan, "You're not locked into what was quoted," that Duke can change it at anytime so I say take me off this **. They tell me I would have to pay not only the month due at 795 but because we are a few days into the next cycle I would have to pay that month at that cost as well!

Now keep in mind this is based off a meter haven't even been read yet, now this past month I paid my bill on the day it had a disconnect notice which I paid in the morning with my bank debit card with a confirmation and thirty minutes later my electric goes off. I call and they apologize for their mistake then a week later I get a letter from these damn scammers saying, "Because your service was interrupted you have to pay a deposit." Now keep in mind I paid a damn deposit before service was established a deposit of 595 dollars. These people are crooks plain and simple and I decree in the name of yeshua that those in charge will come to poverty and the company becomes bankrupt!!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

Worst customer service in the world, I have recently been trying to set up my electric and for a week I’ve got multiple excuses with nobody knowing what’s going on and nobody giving reasons to why they can’t get out and turn service on a new address.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

While customer service is great, great, actual service is horrible. I have lived in my current home for almost a year and this is the first time I've ever had Duke Energy. I have a minimum of 1-2 power outages since I've been here. I'm in the middle of town, not out in the woods! In the previous 6 years, I had WREC for power service and had maybe 2 or 3 outages at most in over a year. Again, here, with Duke and in the last 9 months, I have at least 1-2 outages per month. It's ridiculous! Do something to strengthen your equipment or something! I am a very unsatisfied and if I had the option to change providers, I would do so in a heartbeat.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I switch to solar trying to save money but Duke never give me the credit that I have to receive after my system produce. I have 32 panels /320w and they always said that have back to the grid 400 kw and my production is 1200kw min a month. Duke is stealing everybody.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

After the hurricane in 2017 Duke Energy called me and offered me their surge protection for $5.99 a month. I did not want it at first. But they talked me into it going on and on that I would be covered for up to $5000 on equipment that was lost du to and electrical storm or hurricane. I took it. Two or three months ago due to an electrical storm I lost two blu-ray‘s and two Roku‘s. I have been paying $5.99 a month for like close to four years. I called and was given the runaround. I was told to take my stuff to Best Buy and they would test it to confirm if it was ruined due to an electrical surge. And then they will cover the charge. So I took my stuff to Best Buy.

Best Buy didn’t know what I was talking about. They didn’t understand why Duke Energy keeps sending customers to them to test equipment for surge damage. That is not something that they do. So it was suggested to me that I take pictures of the equivalent equipment with prices and send that in with my claim. So I did. Duke Energy refused to pay, they denied the claim for two reasons.

The first reason is that each piece of equipment was under $100 each. So even though I am out $360, each piece of equipment was not over $100. Nothing like that was ever said to me when they talked me into taking the insurance. Also, I need to take it to someone who can test it to confirm that it’s been singed from an electrical search. I told them I could not find anyone to do that and ask them for suggestions. They said that they did not know, but that I had to somehow figure it out myself. BUT since each piece of equipment was under $100 each anyway, they just plain weren’t going to pay it. PERIOD. So basically they charge you $5.99 A month for an insurance that they never ever have any intention on paying on. They basically just suck money out of their customers.

I do not recommend the surge protection, they will not pay it under any circumstance anyway. I also am so disgusted by Duke Energy as a whole. If there was a personal private company that I could get my electricity from I would do that. Anything than to pay a dime into Duke Energy. Save you $5.99 a month and replace your own equipment, you’ll end up having to do that anyway.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Ever since this company came out and switched out our meter the electric bill has doubled. There is nothing different in our usage so the bill should be the same but since then it has doubled and has kept climbing. Another issue I have is the customer service, not all but some are seriously downright rude and discourteous. Another issue is that this company double charged me the fault was theirs and said a check was sent out. I have yet to receive that check. I have called and will call again. How do you fight back when it comes to companies like these.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

Duke Energy is as crooked as can be. If we had a choice we would chose another company. Unfortunately we do not! We were warned about them... our bill was $120 more than the month before and we were only home for 15 day. IMPOSSIBLE!

Original review: July 24, 2020

I have lived at my residence for 10+ years and I’ve never had an electric bill over $150. Even in the hot summer months. My husband & I are EXTREMELY energy/electricity usage conscious & we have always taken measures to keep our energy cost lower than the average homeowner. Our average bill is always close to or under $100 until recently. I understand electric bills are higher in the summer & I’m aware inflation is inevitable but these past two months, our bill has been well over the normal dollar amount. One was $190 and the next was $220.

It’s unfortunate consumers are not able to shop around or choose their electric company. Duke Energy should be ashamed. I’m never one to complain but I refuse to be plowed over by these monopoly corporations and I will take the necessary steps to make my voice heard. Starting with this Consumer Affairs review. I hope we, as consumers, can all come together to instill change and put a stop to this unfair, drastic increase in our energy bills.

Duke Energy of Florida Company Information