1.43/5
Based on 97 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

Florida

158 Duke Energy of Florida Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I have been a long time customer of Duke Energy (Progress Energy) at my current address for 11 years, and for some 20 years prior, at other addresses, and have NEVER had a hiccup, missed payment, disconnect, etc. Well due to a banking change, and misinformation by Duke, they shut off my power, while my kids were sleeping and just after my wife and I left for work (convenient timing I might add) about 2 months ago...

So long story short, after restoring power, having Duke update and SAVE my new banking information, and getting everything resolved, I now find out that I am being hit with a $685.00 service deposit, that must be paid on my account, or I will get shut off once again??? Won't even allow a payment extension, to get this choking payment paid either, as "we don't allow payment arrangements on service deposits."

After contacting customer service (a very loose term I might add) numerous times to voice my complaint and to try to get this ridiculous deposit reversed, I find out that due to the miscommunicated banking change, and that fact that my payment was returned due to "insufficient funds", that there is absolutely nothing that can be done to help me here? If it was returned because the account # was invalid, or there was no account that existed at all, then of course they could reverse it? In fact ANY other reason other than "insufficient funds" and they can reverse it, but in my case... Sorry and thanks for being a "LOYAL" Duke Energy customer???

Nothing can be done, after 30 years of on time payments, and 1 hiccup due to Duke's inability to capture and save my new banking information, this cannot be possible??? Well it is, and I am infuriated to say the least... In fact I would immediately change service providers based on my terrible experience and total lack of loyalty on Duke's part, however, sorry you can't change because DUKE is the only provider for my area??? Is this even legal???

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

My bill has increased by 50% with no explanation. I am unable to contact anyone in customer service to address my concerns. My use is the same as last year. However the cost has doubled for the same usage. I have a 3/2 no pool 3 people in the home, gas water heater and my electric bill is $500 dollars. Duke has been unresponsive.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Recently moved from Hillsborough County to Pasco County. All the years I lived in Hillsborough County, my electric bill has never been more than $120 with TECO. When I called to have my service turned on, I was told the bill payment history of previous owners to be between 100 - 200. Given the size of the house, I figured the history is fair. I was shocked when I received my first bill from Duke Energy for $336 for 3 weeks of service. I called to complain. The customer service told me maybe I was running both heat and cooling at the same time. So in March I changed the thermostat without auto to have better control of the A/C temperature. The lowest bill I've received so far is for $139 within five months of moving to this area. I've called several times to complain that the meter is not been read correctly. All I've received is unsatisfy answers.

Original review: July 2, 2018

In April I received an email from Arcadia Power who I had been paying my electric bill to for years stating Duke shut them out of my account so I followed their instructions and was told by Duke it went back to normal, me paying Arcadia and they pay Duke. Since my payment was automatically paid I didn't know I needed to check Duke's words until I received a termination notice if I didn't 't pay my bills. I never received any bills and requested them on June 20th. I still do not have them even after they called me again (Antonio **). I WANT TO PAY MY BILLS!

Original review: June 30, 2018

My house was finished May 17. I have been waiting for Duke to connect my power since then. I called today and was told my order had been dispatched three days ago and would be connected today but by 6pm I still had no power. There was not a cloud in the sky from 9am until 1pm so bad weather cannot be an excuse. I am going to end up having to pay a mortgage payment on my new house plus rent on the house I am currently living in because they will not come connect us. I am so exasperated dealing with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of Florida?

Original review: March 5, 2018

I'm frustrated beyond belief over the billing issue I'm having with Duke Energy, not to mention I can't even choose to go elsewhere since this monopoly of a company is the only power company available in my location. In November 2017, I called to transfer my service, as I was relocating from one apartment complex to another to be closer to a new job. The man I spoke to seemed very confused about what I was trying to do and at one point said he was "confirming" my request to stop service for an address and start new service for that same address the following day...

Why in the world would I stop my service then reconnect it a day later for the same address??? I was very clear when I told him I was TRANSFERRING my service. After a very long phone call correcting him SEVERAL times, we finally ended the call with my service being stopped at one place and transferring over to the new place. I was relieved the guy finally understood what I wanted to do and the whole ordeal was over. So I thought... The complex I moved into ended up renting me a unit that was in completely unlivable, unsanitary conditions, therefore I had to transfer to a new unit and move AGAIN. So I called to have my service transferred again. I didn't have a huge issue this time, but the electric bill I received after that was a kick to the stomach. I somehow owed $326 for 2 months in a 1 bedroom apartment.

This made absolutely no sense and trying to dissect my bill was like performing dental surgery with no training. What I did find was a "deposit" for $155 rolled into my balance, along with a $28 connection charge. There was already deposit on my account, because you know, I was TRANSFERRING my service and this was noted at the very top of my bill. So I called to have this sorted out and was told I was not supposed to be charged another deposit and since I had just moved again, to wait for the new statement before making the payment because the deposit should drop off and the bill would "fix itself". So I waited for the new statement, which was now $479... The deposit did not drop off, nor did the bill "fix itself". I've called twice since to get this sorted with absolutely no luck.

I'm told the deposit doesn't get worked into the balance and was fed all of their other bs reasoning for why my bill is so high. I finally gave up and was just going to bite the bullet and make a payment so my power stayed on, regardless of knowing they're overcharging me. But I just can't let this go. I can't afford to pay for something I shouldn't be paying for. So I downloaded all of my statements so I could somehow prove they made a mistake and this time would try contacting by email so I could fully explain without being interrupted and told what I already know or what they're trained to say. But, of course when I found the option to email I immediately grew even more frustrated when I saw the character count max is 250... What is this Twitter??? How in the world am I supposed to explain my current situation with that many characters???

It's also funny how when this first started, there was a huge red banner on their website stating bills are higher than usual due to cold weather... Not there's a message stating they're improving their website and some features may not be working correctly - of course what isn't working correctly is the billing section. I can't even see any of the statements for my current address, because every time I click "View Bill" I'm given an error message that something went wrong. How smart, have everyone go to paperless billing then make it impossible to see what they're being charged for so they just have to pay it. Not to mention they now appear to charge a "convenience fee" of $1.50 to pay online. There was never a fee to pay online before. Looks like they're implementing this so customers are not only forced to use paperless billing, but also to use automatic payments so they never see they're being overcharged.

Even when I was on the phone this past Friday, making a payment because I just couldn't win my argument, the woman not only wouldn't listen to me but also kept insisting the deposit is never included in the balance but if she would have just looked at the same statement I was looking at, she would have seen it rolled right in there. I finally gave up and asked if there was some kind of payment plan because I can't exactly afford to pay nearly $500 for an electric bill. I was told I could pay half now and half in 2 weeks. She said she could take the payment by phone but would have to charge me $1.50 but if I made it online while she was on the line, I could pay it for free. SO NOT TRUE. I tried to make the payment online and was given two options, one of which went straight to another error message, and the other which also charged a $1.50 fee.

I told the lady the website would not let me pay online without charging me, so she said she would make the payment for me but had to include the fee. WHY? Why couldn't she waive the fee??? I'm obviously in dire straights over here with making payments I can't afford to make, but also YOUR WEBSITE WAS NOT WORKING - why should I be penalized??

It's pretty obvious this company is finding all kinds of ways to overcharge all of its customers and blame it on cold weather and whatever other bs they use to shut us up. And we have no choice but to sit here and take it because we have no other options in the area? This is ridiculous! After reading all of the other reviews, it's obvious this is a wide-spread problem and something needs to be done. Consumers should not be forced to use the services of a monopoly company with such deceitful practices.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Duke is the only power company that is available to me. I have no complaints regarding Duke, the bills are accurate, the rates are reasonable, and they offer budget billing which is a great feature.

Original review: March 1, 2018

They have been guesstimating my power usage without physically checking my meter... They told me at one time they were short staffed in field. I know this because I haven't been living there... I own it. But water heater/fridge/air... everything has been off for almost 3 months and numbers on meter are way diff. I took pictures... bill numbers. Big diff. I told them... "Don't give me another $100 bill." They adjusted once by 140 off after I caught them... Same at my fiance. His meter was totally down... Off... but they bill until I called. Said, "Hey, new meter." They said, "We'll adjust his..." Haven't yet.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

My puppy literally ate my electric bill, check & envelope. I tried to pay online but I don't know my account number since it's currently in my puppy's stomach (& I suspect it will be illegible when it reappears). I was on the line for 14 minutes before anyone picked up. The person was pleasant but no one should have to wait that long.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

During hurricane Irma this year and we lost power...the system was horrible... Couldn't get anyone a human on phone. Automated system gave out wrong info. Hopefully they fix it for next hurricane season.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

No policy to provide energy to disabled people who need oxygen-based machines during power outages; continually using rolling brown-outs and they have many power surges every month; couldn't find the downed feeder line after Hurricane Irma that was in my neighbor's backyard. We had no power for 7 days... the same line went down the year before with Matthew. They are idiots. They keep solar power in the grid so solar also loses power during outages.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

When there are power outages (which are fairly common in Florida due to storms and weather conditions), the company is quick in restoration. They also offer solutions for your home to help you save on your utilities. They also offer classes to consumers to assist in saving on your utilities.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have had no problems with Duke Energy. They are responsive with power outages & always keep you informed at your request. My bill is consistent as I am on budget billing.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

We went through hurricane Irma. Even though we were one of the last counties in FL to have electricity restored, Duke kept us updated (we had to flee due to my father not being able to survive without power) by FB & their website, which was very helpful.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

They are a fairly new company to this area, and so far, they are doing a decent, although not quite good enough job at this point, time will tell, and we shall see.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

They are just like any other energy company. They just keep raising the rates with no explanation. They give you all these excuses why the rates go up. Although in all fairness they did get the power back pretty fast here in Citrus County FL. Then when I got the first bill after the hurricane it is raised $16.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

On a regular basis the electric goes out just long enough to knock out and re-start everything in our home. Those re-starts I know increase the monthly cost of our electric bill.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My Duke Energy bill was late by 2 weeks. I get another bill with a due date and amount due reflecting the past due plus current due. I assume this means I can pay on due date indicated in the notice. In total I owed 235.00. It's not very high for 2 months. Well, they shut me off even though I wasnt warned or anything! They mislead me with their bill. No mention of turning off. I pay the bill plus reconnect fee (40.00).

A few days later, I get a notice saying they are adding 90 more dollars to my next bill as a deposit for being disconnected. The funny thing is, they blamed the charge on some Florida regulatory agency, accusing it of allowing them to charge the extra deposit. Anyway, I already have a deposit when I first moved in two years ago. I believe they are trying to be sneaky about collecting reconnection fees and deposits. What company acts this harshly to customers for being 2 weeks late? They are clearly manipulating their billing/disconnect practices to profit heavily on reconnect fees.

If I'm to believe other comments about losing deposits if you dont request it back then they are even more shady with their unreasonable practices. As a consumer, I've never dealt with such a greedy company and I am sorry I moved to the sunshine state where we have no recourse but to walk on eggshells around Duke. I was already upset over the disconnect. Now I'm angrier they want even more money from me. Well, I can see I am not alone. There is even a news story about Duke doing this to other customers. In the report, Duke ended up removing the deposit from the bills. It took public embarrassment to get them to treat customers with respect. Unfortunately they do not learn. I will be appealing this deposit request. And no, I will not update my review with more stars if they decide to treat me like a human being. They never should have disconnected me in the first place.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Twice now I've had issues with Duke and their billing and payments. I signed up for their auto pay, budget billing program, in order for each payment to be the same without fluctuating month to month. When we switched to this, I was told that my next payment would come out in two weeks. They failed to mention that an additional payment would be taken that same day. Strike one in my book. Now, I was trying to switch my payment method be for a payment due on the 27th, only to find out that a posted draft was executed on the 22nd, a full 5 days before said payment was scheduled to come out. Apparently, they just post a payment whenever they feel like it, due to holidays or whatever criteria they use. Granted, it hasn't actually come out of the account yet, but because it's posted, there's nothing I can do to fix it. No warning, no update, just posted without any communication or chance to change it.

Apparently, you can cancel a payment until 3 pm on the day it posts, but posting almost a week before the scheduled payment date is just ridiculous. The last time I contacted Duke about this, they said there was no way to rectify the situation. Once the money comes out, it's out. So now I'm assuming I'll be waking up tomorrow to find the money came out, Duke got theirs, and there's nothing I'll be able to do about it. If I had a chance to switch energy companies, I would in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, they're the only one around here, so I'm stuck with a company just deciding to post payments whenever they feel, without regard to actual, you know, customer service. Also, I tried calling to talk to someone, but they apparently are observing holidays longer than anyone else. Good to know my business is appreciated by these chumps.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

This is not about the Irma 5 day outage. Back in July they had a 15 hour power outage and I had to throw the contents of my fridge/freezer. I filed a claim and I just got an answer denying my claim, because "they are not liable because due to cause beyond their control". 1449 customers were affected, come to find out they found an underground primary power cable which failed due to adverse weather.

They send a card stating they upgraded their power grid, then came Irma and we were out 5 day. Again, fridge contents thrown out, can't afford to throw $600 worth of food every 3 months. You better believe I am going solar, don't want to be a hostage of their politics like this last time around with the unions who wouldn't touch the trees that fell on Teco lines or vice versa and they rejected the help from another power company who offered to take care of it. It took them 3 days to resolve! Scandalous!

Original review: March 18, 2017

I signed up for auto pay for my Duke Energy account. Easy and convenient, well it wasn't. Finally after several attempts to enter my banking info it took my info and I was all set. Until today, I was notified that the payment was returned by my bank. Of course the first thing I did was check my bank account and enough funds were there. I called Duke customer service, that was an adventure. After 5 minutes of pressing 0000 a rep came on the line. A very rude young lad named Ryan, he informed me that I made an incorrect keystroke causing the return, he then proudly informed me that I would be charged a $30 return fee. What the??? For making a mistake of course I lost my temper and Ryan hung up on me. I called Duke again and made a credit card payment with a $2.20 convenience fee. Once again the consumer is screwed by corporate control. Can't switch. They're the only game in town, and I don't want to watch TV by candlelight.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2014

My bill is getting increasingly higher. I am the only income at the moment; my mom (who is 84 and recently had a stroke) lives with me and I just need 5 days to pay my bill. I am doing the best I can, but times are tough and this Corp has no regard for life... No mercy.

Original review: April 22, 2013

For the past two months, they have shut off my electricity while I was in the house working. Admittedly, they did send a notice warning me that I was late and they would cut off my electricity in ten days. By the time the notice arrived, I was down to six days. On both occasions, I thought I had paid it, so I didn't respond. I could not believe that they did not send a second notice or at least give me a phone call. If the employee who shut down my electricity had simply knocked on my door and told me she was about to shut it off, I would have paid right then and there. Instead, as soon as the electricity went off, I had to pay the bill plus a $40 reconnect fee and wait six to eight hours without electricity.

I have been a customer at this address for 13 years. I am almost 60 years old and I have never encountered such terrible service from any company in my life. Now, they want me to pay them a $295 deposit fee that they will hold for two years, or they will shut off my electricity again. The stress that this company has given me will probably be responsible if I have a heart attack.

Original review: April 17, 2013

I made several changes in my home to improve energy; bills go up and down depending on the seasons. However, they don't seem to be low enough and in some cases are higher than the year before I made the changes. I have two concerns. I recently heard that Progress Energy was making donations to the campaign for the Governor, and now they are changing their name to Duke Energy. Who pays for this? Consumers. Certainly we will pay for campaign money, and administrative costs for business changes usually do too.

Original review: April 5, 2013

I signed up for E-bill and must have put the wrong account number for my bank. I got a letter 10 days later saying that they tried to deposit my check twice and the account number was good and then they charged me a $60 fee. The bill was on $118. When calling their customer service (which is very poor), they said there was nothing they could do. I have been with Progress Energy for almost 25 years and always paid my bill on time. This is how they treat people just because they can and know that I can't just go to another electric company.

Just to let everyone know, Nathan at Ext. ** was rude and a horrible customer service person. I also talked to Frank (supervisor) at **. After holding for over 10 minutes, he just kept saying the company line. There should be some recourse for situations like this. This is why monopolies are not good!

Original review: March 14, 2013

I unfortunately closed my account at a bank that had auto payment being deducted for Progress Energy. I did contact Progress Energy, gave them new account info, and offered to give them a credit card for the payment. They said too late and nothing could be done. Although the first person I spoke with did say that because I had been with them 10 years and had a perfect record, they wouldn't cancel auto billing. Well, I kept calling until I found one senior associate who said she would take care of any fees if it came to that. Well, they cancelled auto billing and added a $30 returned item charge. I couldn't reach the girl who said she would take care of it (although I had her extension), but they said they would ask for her response since she didn't leave any file notes and they didn't care about anything but account payment and the $30.

Original review: March 5, 2013

About three weeks ago, my dad who is 74 years of age was working in the backyard. He saw sparks coming from the power lines. Shortly after, he called Progress Energy to notify them of the situation. Eventually, they came out to survey the situation. Well, at the top of the pole, it was split and hanging down. It has been noted that the neighbor behind my dad's house had already reported the same thing taking place from time to time. From there, they believe that they disconnected the lines and ran the lines from my dad's house to the neighbor's lines and were supposedly coming back out to fix the pole. At that point, my dad's garage door was no longer working and the freezer in his garage also went out.

After going on two weeks later and nothing taking place, I called back to see what the status was on the repairs and also to file a claim and the damages that had taken place. The claim was denied and the reason was supposedly due to the weather causing the damages. Wow! After about three weeks, the pole had not been fixed. I'd suggest that due to the location of the incident, there seemed to be no urgency to take care of it or take care of the damages that were sustained due to the lack of faulty equipment. My dad had to pay for the repairs for the garage door hardware and also had a freezer that was full of meats/food that were no longer any good. With the denial of the claim, he is now responsible for purchasing a new freezer and food.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2013

I'm tired of terrible customer service. I have no resolution to problems, no escalation, no payment options that don't cost $4.95. Customer service doesn't even mention payment by check. They direct you to all of the means that cost to pay your bill. Progress Energy supervisor/operator ** was ill-equipped to answer any questions, and he said he was a supervisor! Idiocracy and mediocrity are the new normal. I'm filing complaints with every institution I am able including Florida State Attorney General's office.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2013

There seems to be nowhere anyone can turn regarding complaints about Progress Energy. It has gotten to a point where Progress Energy calls all the shots and continuously puts the quality of people's lives in jeopardy. When will something be done to get to the bottom of it all and wipe out the negative effects this heartless corporation continuously imposes? Everyone just keeps quiet and lets this company take advantage. Are there any lawyers out there worth what they claim they are?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2013

I paid my bill with Progress Energy's e-Bill option online. I entered my bank institution's routing number and my account number. The account had plenty of funds to cover the bill, which was why this particular account was used. For some reason or another, Progress Energy's online processing system did not complete the transaction. They were unable to provide me with the information that I entered so I could compare facts. In addition, Progress Energy sent me a notification that my check was returned due to insufficient funds and added a $30 charge because of this incident.

Upon checking with my bank, there was no attempt to charge that account. Therefore, no funds were refused. I informed Progress Energy that I entered the correct information, and they were unable to prove, one way or another, whether I was right or wrong. I received a notification on February 8, 2013 which stated that I had to make payment in full by February 8 (same day) so I would not lose service. This was a day I was not feeling well and was not able to go anywhere to personally make a payment. I was forced to make the payment on the phone which incurred an additional $4.95 fee for doing so. Furthermore, I had to use an account that was to be used for groceries, which I was not able to purchase as a result.

Not once has Progress Energy looked at any possibility of how this could have been their error; nor were they willing to consider my outstanding credit with them for paying my bill (always on time or earlier than due date). My electricity was threatened of being turned off on the same day I received the letter, and I was under stress that I am not able to describe in words. I have never dealt with such insensitive people as those at Progress Energy. I would like to escalate this matter to a legal one and let it be known of the tactics this company is capable of using.

Not sure about Duke Energy of Florida?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Utility Companies for you.

Duke Energy of Florida Company Information

Formerly Named:
    Progress Energy Florida
    www.duke-energy.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business