Florida

2.9/5 (407 ratings)

About Duke Energy of Florida

Duke Energy of Florida Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of Florida?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2023

Their billing is deceptive. My actual usage is around 150 a month, never over 200, for two years, but with their quarterly "budget" plan, my bill is now 270. I never check until now and never signed up!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2023

I started an account with Duke Energy Florida in May 2021 and paid $500 as deposit. I paid the money through my visa card. In January 2022 the service stopped and I requested the deposit to be returned. I waited 2 months for the deposit to be returned checking my visa card account each month. There was no refund. It has been a year now and I haven't received my deposit. I called the customer service 5-6 time over this period of time, spending many hours making the calls and waiting for the agent. The answers I received are the following:

- I will pass your call to the billing department and that call was never answered.

- I will transfer you to this person and you can talk to them. The person didn't pick up I left a message, but never got a call back.

- We will investigate this and call you back, they never called.

- The last time I called they transferred me again to the billing, the agent told me you have never made a deposit. She completely refused that I have paid deposit. I have proof of payment on my visa card statement.

- Then she put me on hold and talked to someone else, and told me, that they have sent a cheque to me, but I haven't received a cheque. I have made the payment through visa card and should be refunded through my visa card.

I made a claim on The Duke Energy Florida website and have the number of my claim, again no one at that company cares. No one responded. I don't know what to do and whom to make a complain so that the company pays my own money. It is like stealing someone's money. All this is very stressful for me.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

I have been a Duke customer for 14 years now - SO they have gotten more than $50,000 from me. I added solar to my home and now they implement a $30 minimum bill saying, "this is to make it fair for all customers." What a crock. This minimum bill was created to directly discourage Solar installations... in "the sunshine state"! And don't be fooled by their "CLEAN ENERGY CONNECTION" program aka CEC. These solar farms they boast are not built on wastelands, they are built in places where there is ecosystems. They are now shading an area that hasn't been shaded and creating a "carbon footprint."

Your home has ALREADY made its carbon footprint. What better place to put solar than on your home which already exists. The only time the CE makes sense, is for a home/condo owner who realistically cant benefit from putting solar on their home. Duke implements a "minimum fee" as a cost for being on the grid, and their profits soar to a net worth of over $14 billion!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

My Bill has been around 200$ for years with budget billing. Now it is 300$ and they offer No explanation other than I am using more energy. I am the only one in my house and nothing has changed other than my bill going up. I asked if they would check my meter, they said, "No, it is not a mechanical issue." How can they have a monopoly in Florida? I am retired on a budget and cannot afford a increase in my bill. Is there No other avenue other than paying the bill?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

I came home after hurricane Ian came through, flooded my house. My belongings that were close to the floor were Destroyed. My life was consumed with Insurance companies, fema, what to do with all my property that was destroyed, what to do with my home, finding a hotel to stay in, trying to find a car. It was a horrible adventure I would rather not live again, the moral of this story is I called Duke Energy about 30 days too late for them to help me. They said because I didn't call right away they were not Going to help me with the $37 they're charging me when I could no longer live there and no one was there running any power. I want everyone to know this is a company with no heart. They don't care about the little people who have been in danger and hurt like me.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I would honestly give it 0 stars if I could. Due to Hurricane Ian we've been out of power since Wednesday, it is now Sunday and they haven't done anything at all! My poor animals are hot and miserable as are the rest of us. They've been changing dates of when our power is supposed to be back on, yet they keep delaying.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

I had an account with Duke Energy for sometimes, on and off, due to the fact that I was a residential customer first then as a landlord. Today, I got a bill from Duke Energy Florida for about 10 days of service between tenants and wanted to pay it off online. First, the email sent the bill as an attachment and asked me to open it with my account number as password (the account number was clear text on the email, you kidding me, that's your security measure?). Okay, I entered the account number as prompted, but not, it said it was invalid password. So the bill could not be opened.

Then I went to the website and tried to log in. First, I tried to register with my account number, but it told me that I could not register because their system already had my email. Okay, I returned to login page, and used my email to get a password reset link - it didn't say if email had been sent successfully or not. I checked, no email, no in junk mails.

As a software developer myself, this level of incompetence outraged me beyond belief. Obviously, there was some blow-up of their database at some point, as my login that I saved with My LastPass vault when I set up my account last year was not recognized by their system and when I tried to use the "Forgot My Password" link to reset my password, assuming that I had written down my password wrong, the reset email never came. So, I am in a limb - can't print my Bill from the email they sent me, can't login online, can't register my account (because they already had my email) - and all these frustrations were just because I wanted to pay my bill. WTF!!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

Duke Energy gross profit for the twelve months ending June 30, 2022 was $18.800B!!! Read that again. Every month I receive a disconnect notice, added to text messaging for the pending shut off date. I call this fear mongering, when in fact it seems to me that Duke Energy is gouging it's customers with double digit increases. When an energy bill doubles within a year, there is great cause for concern. Duke Energy has done a very good job for justifying the reasons why these increases that are passed on to the customer are needed. I call **, and a good job for snowing everyone through their pr campaign. Their website encourages customers to seek outside help through other agencies to help pay the bill - this in itself raises all kinds of red flags ... While Duke's profits are in the billions. This business practice deserves a class action suit, this is a monopoly that needs government intervention at the very least.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

We have been a customer of Duke Energy for years. Our power flickers which is very harmful to our appliances and electronics. This happens regularly - several times a day is not unusual. We have another power outage today for a few hours. This happens every 3 to 4 weeks on a regular basis. The service is, in other words, quite terrible.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

I bought my house in Nov2021 from a previous owner where solar panels and system is installed from 2017. After home is closed, spoke to Duke on phone about account transfer and they said since I am new owner of house credits on solar won’t be transferred and I have to build them over the years again, I found this okay then I asked how do I build, was said they build from now and all I had to do was account transfer and was said initial months would be billed as I will have 0 credits.

After 6 months still no credits (my solar panels generated around 1400 kWh avg). Then I reached customer service again on phone, now they said I had to register with a solar department of theirs (which they never said 6 months before. When I asked why it was not mentioned their response was just, "We are sorry," but was getting bills of $200 or above average). I registered with so called their department of the solar program but asked what happened to the energy my home generated. Their response was since it was not monitored from their side they cannot say how much was generated but it was used (like robbing my energy).

Now after one month of solar dept registration still no credits. Customer service again, now they say I spelled the city name on application wrong and said they sent email (which went to spam folder) and waiting on me. I asked, "Why didn’t you mail a letter when you were mailing bills," their response was to reduce paper wastage. Seriously DUKE you can waste paper on sending bills but not on clean energy? And my question still stays what happened to the energy my home generated that renters your grid, it will not go into thin air. You used it and I have stats from my solar panel system on how much my home generated on a month by month and even day by day basis. You are simply robbing energy from people, profiting of it and then billing them again. If anyone have similar situation let’s fight together.

Duke Energy of Florida Company Information