1.36/5

Need a utility company?

Florida

Need a utility company?

178 Duke Energy of Florida Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 19, 2019

Auto pay through my bank, all of a sudden stopped working.. no email, call, any notification causing my medical clinic to go dark. Now have many unhappy patients that had to reschedule. Lost money. Thanks to incompetent company. Now charged a deposit, plus reconnect fee over a terrible software design on Duke. Do not use this company if possible.

Original review: May 21, 2019

My power was shut off because they didn't receive my payment. I was charged a reconnecting fee. I spent hours with customer service who sounded like they were reading from a script. This is a monopoly. Very inept managers. Worst corporate management I've ever experienced.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Before I sold my house in Orlando I called them to inform them and they assured me not to be worried in the case I get billed because all bills had been satisfied. So imagine my surprise when 6-7 months down the line I receive a notification that my credit has plummet nearly 100 points. Frantic, I call Experian, and all major credit bureaus and they tell me I’ve been reported to collections to a company by the name of Helvey & Associates whom of which, is currently on the front page of Lemberg Law telling people that have been harassed, or dealt with this company to call them.

Both Duke Energy and Helvey & Associates in the past 2 years have harbored 1-star reviews and been complained about nearly 30 times in the past couple of months. When does this stop? How many more people need to suffer before someone acts? How much more money do we need to spend on attorneys, credit repair services, and bills for us to be exonerated from this rather contrived situation none of us wish to no longer be involved in? I went from owning a American Express Platinum Card, to not being approved at Target for their credit card.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Thoroughly and completed DISGUSTED with this company! What other corporation prevents you from speaking directly to corporate headquarters when you have a legitimate complaint about a subsidiary? None other than "PUKE" Energy, folks! I've never seen such poor public relations practice by a corporation in my LIFE - ever. Their CEO (Lynn Good) is too snobbish and feels she's too "good" to address a customer complaint personally. One would think, after all the complaints and trouble they've been in with the Federal government, that they would make customer service and satisfaction a priority - what a farce. If and when my community ever changes their power service from "Puke" Energy, I for one will be glad - and I cannot wait. I've had it with these jerks!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Duke Energy went out to a property I own due a bad neutral. I told them to drive along the property line to get to the pole. They drove right over the drain field for my septic then never even trimmed the tree back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of Florida?

Original review: April 2, 2019

Electricity cut out and I see a guy with a yellow west walking away from my house, so I immediately jumped on the phone and contacted Duke Energy to see why my power went out. A lady on the phone looked up my account and said, oh, I see your payment didn't go through and it just was processed today plus it's gonna be another $40 to reconnect the service.

I was like, "Ok so when will the power be back on?" She said, "Sometimes today." So I asked, any specific time or just any time. She comes back and says, "Is there anything else I can help you out with?" I said, "Yes, could you please answer my question." She says, "I have already answered your questions and no I don't have to get in a debate with you and go back and forth." I was like that escalated quickly! It must be awesome to be Duke Energy! You have something everyone needs, so you don't give a damn about your customers and you can treat them any way you want because you know their complaints won't be heard!

Original review: March 14, 2019

I sold my house back in 2018 in Orlando, FL and I called Duke Energy to advise that I was no longer going to own the house as I was selling it. The energy had been shut off for almost two months as there were no tenants occupying it. Ever. They had told me "not to worry about it." In the case I do have an outstanding balance, they'll send it via email or mail (by law they have to). A couple months down the line, I get phone calls from suspicious numbers telling me to verify my social security number as they have personal information and they're not to release anything unless. I confirm I am who they say I am. I promptly hang up because I do not recognize what association this is nor do they state who they are. With the amount of ongoing automated calls, it's becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate what calls are important and what calls are not.

A few weeks later, to much of my surprise, I notice my credit has drastically dropped and I frantically try to find out what is going on. Then an associate from a credit company informs me that I was sent to collections by Duke Energy for an outstanding balance of $375 that was owed which I paid immediately upon finding out through my credit report. Prior to that, they had never given me the courtesy of a call nor contacted me through email like they said they would.

Whatever mail they claim they sent, was sent to the wrong address knowing full well I do not reside in that address in Orlando, but in the Palm Beach address. They had my second address, means to communicate with me through phone, email and standard mail and just decided to send me to collections without any fore-warnings. Because of their negligence and malpractice, I am now stuck with credit that's going to take years to salvage and Duke Energy and Helvey & Associates couldn't care. I do in fact plan on taking both associations to court.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I recently became a customer of Duke Energy, not knowing that they have a billing portal with RealPage Utility Management. When OUC is the provider. I really do not care who manages their accounts, except when I am being charged for their services. My water usage charge was $6.47 for January, and a $19.08 charge for RealPage Utility Management services. How do I know that is what the charge is for? Because I called the company, RealPage Utility and they explained what the charges were.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

It ridiculous how my entire house is run on electricity but I'm being charged fuel charges so I'm basically paying double. It's all a scam. When I was with Con Edison I was charged electric and gas. That's it, not the "fuel" they use to run my electric. It's ridiculous. Also we have no choice of our energy provider. IT'S A MONOPOLY! They own the entire area. Nevermind the deposit they don't return, if anything if your bill goes up they charge more towards your deposit. They suck. I miss Con Ed.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

My power was shut off with little to no warning after I had already mailed a check. I called immediately at 10am when it happened and paid the balance of $79 which was just about 2 weeks overdue. Until this issue I have never been late and had no balance due. Not only did I not receive a call or notice aside from 1 email but my power was shut off for the entire day because the tech was not in the area. They have no problem shutting people’s power off in the Florida heat but take their good old time getting it back on. I find it ridiculous to cut someone’s power with minimal warning and only 2 weeks late with a balance not even over $80. Had someone called I would’ve told them the check was in the mail. Horrible business practice to leave people with kids and dogs without power all day after that pay. Just a lousy way to operate. Shame on them.

Duke Energy of Florida Company Information