1.36/5

Need a utility company?

Florida

177 Duke Energy of Florida Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2019

My power was shut off because they didn't receive my payment. I was charged a reconnecting fee. I spent hours with customer service who sounded like they were reading from a script. This is a monopoly. Very inept managers. Worst corporate management I've ever experienced.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Before I sold my house in Orlando I called them to inform them and they assured me not to be worried in the case I get billed because all bills had been satisfied. So imagine my surprise when 6-7 months down the line I receive a notification that my credit has plummet nearly 100 points. Frantic, I call Experian, and all major credit bureaus and they tell me I’ve been reported to collections to a company by the name of Helvey & Associates whom of which, is currently on the front page of Lemberg Law telling people that have been harassed, or dealt with this company to call them.

Both Duke Energy and Helvey & Associates in the past 2 years have harbored 1-star reviews and been complained about nearly 30 times in the past couple of months. When does this stop? How many more people need to suffer before someone acts? How much more money do we need to spend on attorneys, credit repair services, and bills for us to be exonerated from this rather contrived situation none of us wish to no longer be involved in? I went from owning a American Express Platinum Card, to not being approved at Target for their credit card.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Thoroughly and completed DISGUSTED with this company! What other corporation prevents you from speaking directly to corporate headquarters when you have a legitimate complaint about a subsidiary? None other than "PUKE" Energy, folks! I've never seen such poor public relations practice by a corporation in my LIFE - ever. Their CEO (Lynn Good) is too snobbish and feels she's too "good" to address a customer complaint personally. One would think, after all the complaints and trouble they've been in with the Federal government, that they would make customer service and satisfaction a priority - what a farce. If and when my community ever changes their power service from "Puke" Energy, I for one will be glad - and I cannot wait. I've had it with these jerks!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Duke Energy went out to a property I own due a bad neutral. I told them to drive along the property line to get to the pole. They drove right over the drain field for my septic then never even trimmed the tree back.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Electricity cut out and I see a guy with a yellow west walking away from my house, so I immediately jumped on the phone and contacted Duke Energy to see why my power went out. A lady on the phone looked up my account and said, oh, I see your payment didn't go through and it just was processed today plus it's gonna be another $40 to reconnect the service.

I was like, "Ok so when will the power be back on?" She said, "Sometimes today." So I asked, any specific time or just any time. She comes back and says, "Is there anything else I can help you out with?" I said, "Yes, could you please answer my question." She says, "I have already answered your questions and no I don't have to get in a debate with you and go back and forth." I was like that escalated quickly! It must be awesome to be Duke Energy! You have something everyone needs, so you don't give a damn about your customers and you can treat them any way you want because you know their complaints won't be heard!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of Florida?

Original review: March 14, 2019

I sold my house back in 2018 in Orlando, FL and I called Duke Energy to advise that I was no longer going to own the house as I was selling it. The energy had been shut off for almost two months as there were no tenants occupying it. Ever. They had told me "not to worry about it." In the case I do have an outstanding balance, they'll send it via email or mail (by law they have to). A couple months down the line, I get phone calls from suspicious numbers telling me to verify my social security number as they have personal information and they're not to release anything unless. I confirm I am who they say I am. I promptly hang up because I do not recognize what association this is nor do they state who they are. With the amount of ongoing automated calls, it's becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate what calls are important and what calls are not.

A few weeks later, to much of my surprise, I notice my credit has drastically dropped and I frantically try to find out what is going on. Then an associate from a credit company informs me that I was sent to collections by Duke Energy for an outstanding balance of $375 that was owed which I paid immediately upon finding out through my credit report. Prior to that, they had never given me the courtesy of a call nor contacted me through email like they said they would.

Whatever mail they claim they sent, was sent to the wrong address knowing full well I do not reside in that address in Orlando, but in the Palm Beach address. They had my second address, means to communicate with me through phone, email and standard mail and just decided to send me to collections without any fore-warnings. Because of their negligence and malpractice, I am now stuck with credit that's going to take years to salvage and Duke Energy and Helvey & Associates couldn't care. I do in fact plan on taking both associations to court.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I recently became a customer of Duke Energy, not knowing that they have a billing portal with RealPage Utility Management. When OUC is the provider. I really do not care who manages their accounts, except when I am being charged for their services. My water usage charge was $6.47 for January, and a $19.08 charge for RealPage Utility Management services. How do I know that is what the charge is for? Because I called the company, RealPage Utility and they explained what the charges were.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

It ridiculous how my entire house is run on electricity but I'm being charged fuel charges so I'm basically paying double. It's all a scam. When I was with Con Edison I was charged electric and gas. That's it, not the "fuel" they use to run my electric. It's ridiculous. Also we have no choice of our energy provider. IT'S A MONOPOLY! They own the entire area. Nevermind the deposit they don't return, if anything if your bill goes up they charge more towards your deposit. They suck. I miss Con Ed.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

My power was shut off with little to no warning after I had already mailed a check. I called immediately at 10am when it happened and paid the balance of $79 which was just about 2 weeks overdue. Until this issue I have never been late and had no balance due. Not only did I not receive a call or notice aside from 1 email but my power was shut off for the entire day because the tech was not in the area. They have no problem shutting people’s power off in the Florida heat but take their good old time getting it back on. I find it ridiculous to cut someone’s power with minimal warning and only 2 weeks late with a balance not even over $80. Had someone called I would’ve told them the check was in the mail. Horrible business practice to leave people with kids and dogs without power all day after that pay. Just a lousy way to operate. Shame on them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

My grandmother owes a back bill 1481. I told him that I will pay the 1481. They said the deposit at 6:30. I asked him if they could work in the bill, they said yes. Now they want her to pay another additional 718 because they cut the power off due to non-payment. So my brother before he went to jail he rented a room to a couple, they put the light bill in the boyfriend name. They didn't make a payment on it but now my grandmother is stuck paying their bill too which I think is totally unfair. We're trying to make things right and pay her old back bill that before my brother went to jail. He left her in debt. Duke Energy says I could go ahead and pay the 1481 at first but now they're changing it and saying that we are supposed to pay the 718 on top of it which I think they should of not made anyone cut on the power in their name knowing that it had a high bill before so that is the fault of Duke Energy.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

First of all, the "free online bill pay" is a laugh. There is a surcharge of at least $1.50 each time you pay. Secondly, if there is an error in an online payment at no fault of your own, they still force you to pay a returned payment fee of $30. My bank never even received the request for payment from Duke, so how can a payment be rejected? Thirdly, if a payment was not properly requested by Duke to my financial institution why is it my fault that a payment was late. They will add on a previously unneeded security deposit to your account at which point you have no choice but to pay it or have your credit score affected. In my case, these issues with their online bill payment has cost me an additional $200 dollars, of which $30 I will never be refunded. If you can avoid Duke, do so at all costs.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been overcharged for 3 months now. The first year of having service with this company I was charged $100 a month-reasonable. With no explanation, my bill started to gradually rise. To 130-150-170. Now my bill is $306 for a 600 ft. apartment!!! And I am on their energy saving program which states my bill should not exceed $106. I am so mad I want to sue this company for everything they're worth, they do not DESERVE to have business. My warning to you - stay farrrr away from Duke Energy of Florida.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

We moved into our 1300 square ft apartment thinking the power bill couldn’t be close to what it was in our 4300 sq ft home - WRONG! The bill was higher!!! Exorbitantly higher! Not sure how this is possible! So we raise the temp to 76 during the day and 72 at night (previous day was 74 and night 70). Our bill went UP?! I don’t understand at all. We increased the temp again to 78 during the day and 74 at night! It went down by $20!!! This was beyond ridiculous! Now we turn it off during the day and on a VERY RARE occasion we turn it on at night and briefly. We never use the heat only A/C. We finally saw a drop down to $153 and even this past month it went up to $158 despite leaving the AC off all but 2 nights. These are much better than they were but we are getting out from under Duke Power and moving to another state. There is definitely corruption going on in this company.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

So my Notice of Balance Due arrives in the mail. I had paid my bill approximately 8 hours late. Hmmmm. It seems extreme for them to send a Notice so quickly. I call the 1-800 number and speak to a poor sweet woman that has no clue why I’m so annoyed. I am insulted, and in my opinion for the notice to say: “If you are dissatisfied with the utility’s decision to refuse or discontinue service you may register your complaint” etc. is BULLYING! I tried to email customer service to determine why I received the notice so quickly and that was not available. How convenient!

My intent is to bring to light/or document how this huge monopoly is so unfair. It also seems really strange that the company spends our paid money to run expensive commercials to promote themselves when IN FACT we have NO CHOICE! I dealt with Hurricane Irma and this utility was so inept - I had no power for almost a week. Actually, I was lucky, lots of folks went longer w/o power. Thank goodness companies from all over the country came in to help. I don’t appreciate being held hostage and I think every customer of this utility, being small or large deserves respect. I sure as heck haven’t received it. What happened to fair practices? Do boatloads of money versus ethics really determine everything? PHOOEY.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

We had our power cut the day after Christmas, it completely crossed our mind with everything else going on. The power goes off and we instantly pay it and call Duke to let them know. We also let them know we have a newborn. I get there’s nothing they can do. It’s not like we didn’t have the money. It was an honest mistake and we paid for it RIGHT after the cutoff. They could at least be a little more courteous around the holidays and give us a knock and maybe say it’s about to get cut off, heads up or something. But no. Customer service doesn’t care. Going on 9 hours with no power with an infant. Thanks for being the WORST power company. And screw Seminole county for not having another company for us to use.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Very nasty company. Even after paying bill they want to keep me in darkness for 4 days. Christmas with no power. I hate this company. Called customer service 10 times. They do not have capability to view bill on a Saturday. Must wait for four days. The nd she's are WICKED too.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

This company is charged $250 to $300 per month. I change A/C thinking that was the problem and nothing, this past month I don’t using at all and my bills keep high $260. What is wrong with Duke Energy in Winter Park Fl???

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

When we pay our bill we pay it online. This past bill we tried paying it twice in one day and every time we submitted it - it would tell us to come back later and try it again. And when we went to view our bill it showed us we didn’t pay it. So we try the next day to pay it. Same amount is due - we go to pay it - it goes through and just tells us when our next payment for next month is. Two days later I went to use my card to get groceries and my card declined. I go to check my bank account - DUKE ENERGY CHARGED MY CARD 2 EXTRA TIMES... A EXTRA 250 dollars was taken out of my account. I look at my bill on Duke Energy and it says I’m -108. HAH.

I call customer service - and the guy was useless was just telling me about how it’s not their fault and my bank's fault for allowing the payments to go through. And he wouldn’t refund me. That money was for gas to get me to and from work and for groceries for the week... you couldn’t just refund me my money? When it was your site that messed up? Because why would I pay 122 dollars 3 times? Just beware of the online payment. If it doesn’t work next time just call them to tell them you tried to pay them and not keep trying to do it. Horrible experience and horrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

When my roommate and I moved into our apartment, Duke Energy left us with 3, 5-9 hr blackouts within the first week. Now, our bill is going up for no reason. My real issue, though, comes with paying the bill. I paid extra for my bill to be taken out of my account when I needed it to, but instead they waited almost two weeks before withdrawing it, and SOLELY because of the same-day fee that I paid, I was overdrafted and charged additional fees by my bank. And you know what? This isn’t even the first time. This place still has the audacity to charge me more and more every month, though. This is by far the worst customer service I have ever seen.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I have been a long time customer of Duke Energy (Progress Energy) at my current address for 11 years, and for some 20 years prior, at other addresses, and have NEVER had a hiccup, missed payment, disconnect, etc. Well due to a banking change, and misinformation by Duke, they shut off my power, while my kids were sleeping and just after my wife and I left for work (convenient timing I might add) about 2 months ago...

So long story short, after restoring power, having Duke update and SAVE my new banking information, and getting everything resolved, I now find out that I am being hit with a $685.00 service deposit, that must be paid on my account, or I will get shut off once again??? Won't even allow a payment extension, to get this choking payment paid either, as "we don't allow payment arrangements on service deposits."

After contacting customer service (a very loose term I might add) numerous times to voice my complaint and to try to get this ridiculous deposit reversed, I find out that due to the miscommunicated banking change, and that fact that my payment was returned due to "insufficient funds", that there is absolutely nothing that can be done to help me here? If it was returned because the account # was invalid, or there was no account that existed at all, then of course they could reverse it? In fact ANY other reason other than "insufficient funds" and they can reverse it, but in my case... Sorry and thanks for being a "LOYAL" Duke Energy customer???

Nothing can be done, after 30 years of on time payments, and 1 hiccup due to Duke's inability to capture and save my new banking information, this cannot be possible??? Well it is, and I am infuriated to say the least... In fact I would immediately change service providers based on my terrible experience and total lack of loyalty on Duke's part, however, sorry you can't change because DUKE is the only provider for my area??? Is this even legal???

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

My bill has increased by 50% with no explanation. I am unable to contact anyone in customer service to address my concerns. My use is the same as last year. However the cost has doubled for the same usage. I have a 3/2 no pool 3 people in the home, gas water heater and my electric bill is $500 dollars. Duke has been unresponsive.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Recently moved from Hillsborough County to Pasco County. All the years I lived in Hillsborough County, my electric bill has never been more than $120 with TECO. When I called to have my service turned on, I was told the bill payment history of previous owners to be between 100 - 200. Given the size of the house, I figured the history is fair. I was shocked when I received my first bill from Duke Energy for $336 for 3 weeks of service. I called to complain. The customer service told me maybe I was running both heat and cooling at the same time. So in March I changed the thermostat without auto to have better control of the A/C temperature. The lowest bill I've received so far is for $139 within five months of moving to this area. I've called several times to complain that the meter is not been read correctly. All I've received is unsatisfy answers.

Original review: July 2, 2018

In April I received an email from Arcadia Power who I had been paying my electric bill to for years stating Duke shut them out of my account so I followed their instructions and was told by Duke it went back to normal, me paying Arcadia and they pay Duke. Since my payment was automatically paid I didn't know I needed to check Duke's words until I received a termination notice if I didn't 't pay my bills. I never received any bills and requested them on June 20th. I still do not have them even after they called me again (Antonio **). I WANT TO PAY MY BILLS!

Original review: June 30, 2018

My house was finished May 17. I have been waiting for Duke to connect my power since then. I called today and was told my order had been dispatched three days ago and would be connected today but by 6pm I still had no power. There was not a cloud in the sky from 9am until 1pm so bad weather cannot be an excuse. I am going to end up having to pay a mortgage payment on my new house plus rent on the house I am currently living in because they will not come connect us. I am so exasperated dealing with this company.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I'm frustrated beyond belief over the billing issue I'm having with Duke Energy, not to mention I can't even choose to go elsewhere since this monopoly of a company is the only power company available in my location. In November 2017, I called to transfer my service, as I was relocating from one apartment complex to another to be closer to a new job. The man I spoke to seemed very confused about what I was trying to do and at one point said he was "confirming" my request to stop service for an address and start new service for that same address the following day...

Why in the world would I stop my service then reconnect it a day later for the same address??? I was very clear when I told him I was TRANSFERRING my service. After a very long phone call correcting him SEVERAL times, we finally ended the call with my service being stopped at one place and transferring over to the new place. I was relieved the guy finally understood what I wanted to do and the whole ordeal was over. So I thought... The complex I moved into ended up renting me a unit that was in completely unlivable, unsanitary conditions, therefore I had to transfer to a new unit and move AGAIN. So I called to have my service transferred again. I didn't have a huge issue this time, but the electric bill I received after that was a kick to the stomach. I somehow owed $326 for 2 months in a 1 bedroom apartment.

This made absolutely no sense and trying to dissect my bill was like performing dental surgery with no training. What I did find was a "deposit" for $155 rolled into my balance, along with a $28 connection charge. There was already deposit on my account, because you know, I was TRANSFERRING my service and this was noted at the very top of my bill. So I called to have this sorted out and was told I was not supposed to be charged another deposit and since I had just moved again, to wait for the new statement before making the payment because the deposit should drop off and the bill would "fix itself". So I waited for the new statement, which was now $479... The deposit did not drop off, nor did the bill "fix itself". I've called twice since to get this sorted with absolutely no luck.

I'm told the deposit doesn't get worked into the balance and was fed all of their other bs reasoning for why my bill is so high. I finally gave up and was just going to bite the bullet and make a payment so my power stayed on, regardless of knowing they're overcharging me. But I just can't let this go. I can't afford to pay for something I shouldn't be paying for. So I downloaded all of my statements so I could somehow prove they made a mistake and this time would try contacting by email so I could fully explain without being interrupted and told what I already know or what they're trained to say. But, of course when I found the option to email I immediately grew even more frustrated when I saw the character count max is 250... What is this Twitter??? How in the world am I supposed to explain my current situation with that many characters???

It's also funny how when this first started, there was a huge red banner on their website stating bills are higher than usual due to cold weather... Not there's a message stating they're improving their website and some features may not be working correctly - of course what isn't working correctly is the billing section. I can't even see any of the statements for my current address, because every time I click "View Bill" I'm given an error message that something went wrong. How smart, have everyone go to paperless billing then make it impossible to see what they're being charged for so they just have to pay it. Not to mention they now appear to charge a "convenience fee" of $1.50 to pay online. There was never a fee to pay online before. Looks like they're implementing this so customers are not only forced to use paperless billing, but also to use automatic payments so they never see they're being overcharged.

Even when I was on the phone this past Friday, making a payment because I just couldn't win my argument, the woman not only wouldn't listen to me but also kept insisting the deposit is never included in the balance but if she would have just looked at the same statement I was looking at, she would have seen it rolled right in there. I finally gave up and asked if there was some kind of payment plan because I can't exactly afford to pay nearly $500 for an electric bill. I was told I could pay half now and half in 2 weeks. She said she could take the payment by phone but would have to charge me $1.50 but if I made it online while she was on the line, I could pay it for free. SO NOT TRUE. I tried to make the payment online and was given two options, one of which went straight to another error message, and the other which also charged a $1.50 fee.

I told the lady the website would not let me pay online without charging me, so she said she would make the payment for me but had to include the fee. WHY? Why couldn't she waive the fee??? I'm obviously in dire straights over here with making payments I can't afford to make, but also YOUR WEBSITE WAS NOT WORKING - why should I be penalized??

It's pretty obvious this company is finding all kinds of ways to overcharge all of its customers and blame it on cold weather and whatever other bs they use to shut us up. And we have no choice but to sit here and take it because we have no other options in the area? This is ridiculous! After reading all of the other reviews, it's obvious this is a wide-spread problem and something needs to be done. Consumers should not be forced to use the services of a monopoly company with such deceitful practices.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Duke is the only power company that is available to me. I have no complaints regarding Duke, the bills are accurate, the rates are reasonable, and they offer budget billing which is a great feature.

Original review: March 1, 2018

They have been guesstimating my power usage without physically checking my meter... They told me at one time they were short staffed in field. I know this because I haven't been living there... I own it. But water heater/fridge/air... everything has been off for almost 3 months and numbers on meter are way diff. I took pictures... bill numbers. Big diff. I told them... "Don't give me another $100 bill." They adjusted once by 140 off after I caught them... Same at my fiance. His meter was totally down... Off... but they bill until I called. Said, "Hey, new meter." They said, "We'll adjust his..." Haven't yet.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

My puppy literally ate my electric bill, check & envelope. I tried to pay online but I don't know my account number since it's currently in my puppy's stomach (& I suspect it will be illegible when it reappears). I was on the line for 14 minutes before anyone picked up. The person was pleasant but no one should have to wait that long.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

During hurricane Irma this year and we lost power...the system was horrible... Couldn't get anyone a human on phone. Automated system gave out wrong info. Hopefully they fix it for next hurricane season.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

No policy to provide energy to disabled people who need oxygen-based machines during power outages; continually using rolling brown-outs and they have many power surges every month; couldn't find the downed feeder line after Hurricane Irma that was in my neighbor's backyard. We had no power for 7 days... the same line went down the year before with Matthew. They are idiots. They keep solar power in the grid so solar also loses power during outages.

Duke Energy of Florida Company Information