2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Florida

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.31/5

Duke Energy of Florida Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of Florida?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of Florida?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Ever since this company came out and switched out our meter the electric bill has doubled. There is nothing different in our usage so the bill should be the same but since then it has doubled and has kept climbing. Another issue I have is the customer service, not all but some are seriously downright rude and discourteous. Another issue is that this company double charged me the fault was theirs and said a check was sent out. I have yet to receive that check. I have called and will call again. How do you fight back when it comes to companies like these.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

Duke Energy is as crooked as can be. If we had a choice we would chose another company. Unfortunately we do not! We were warned about them... our bill was $120 more than the month before and we were only home for 15 day. IMPOSSIBLE!

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I have lived at my residence for 10+ years and I’ve never had an electric bill over $150. Even in the hot summer months. My husband & I are EXTREMELY energy/electricity usage conscious & we have always taken measures to keep our energy cost lower than the average homeowner. Our average bill is always close to or under $100 until recently. I understand electric bills are higher in the summer & I’m aware inflation is inevitable but these past two months, our bill has been well over the normal dollar amount. One was $190 and the next was $220.

It’s unfortunate consumers are not able to shop around or choose their electric company. Duke Energy should be ashamed. I’m never one to complain but I refuse to be plowed over by these monopoly corporations and I will take the necessary steps to make my voice heard. Starting with this Consumer Affairs review. I hope we, as consumers, can all come together to instill change and put a stop to this unfair, drastic increase in our energy bills.

Original review: July 2, 2020

Updated on 08/07/2020: Well today has been a month since I filed a complaint with Duke Energy. They turned me over to Sedgwick that handles claims for them. I was given a claim number and told someone would be in touch with us. On 7/20 we hadn't heard from anyone. I called back and was told that Natalie was our examiner and they transferred me to her. It went into her voice mail. I left a detailed message. On 7/24 we still hadn't heard back from her. So on 7/24 since no one returned our calls I called again. I finally talked with Sheila. I explained everything to her. She was very understanding.

She tried to transfer me to Natalie again and got her recording. I got her phone number and then Sheila transferred me to her I guess supervisor Todd **. But of course it went into his voice mail. I again left a detailed message on what was going on. I ask him to please call my husband on his cell phone. Since he never returned my call we have left Natalie at least 6 different messages. That includes today 8/7/2020. She doesn't even have the courtesy to return our calls. At this point I guess we're going to be stuck with having to fix our property until they decide to tear it up again. Why can't something be done about this????

Original Review: We're really feed up with Duke Energy. This is actually the 3rd time they have come on our property and literally tore up the easement that they have access to. But actually we own, pay the taxes and insurance on and maintain year round. About 2 weeks ago they sent Logan ** to our home. He claimed they needed to take down some trees. I told him of the problems in the past and that it cost us the last time approximately $2,500 and 2 years of getting the property back to where we could maintain it. Of course he lied to us and said, it would look just as good when they were through. He said, to call him with any problems. When they started tearing up the property again we tried calling him. Of course his phone wasn't taking any messages and it's been that way since.

They tell you whatever and really don't care. They came Wednesday July 2, 2020 to grind some stumps that my husband complained about. Of course when they got here they claimed they could only grind the stumps that weren't in the easement. My husband and I questioned why they took down trees that weren't in the easement. The grass is totally gone. All is left is dirt. The last time they destroyed our property we had to bring in top soil and over seed it. After 2 years we finally had it looking great. Now you can't even put a mower on it. It has literally brought me to tears. All that hard work for nothing.

They claim they're going to bring some dirt next week and fill in the ruts. We're stilling going to be left with a mess. It's not right or fair. Just because Duke Energy has access to the easement doesn't mean they should be able to tear it up and not be responsible to make sure it looks like it did when they started. Like they assure you it well before they start. Robert and Roberta

Original review: July 1, 2020

I have been a customer for over 20 years and have had numerous residents never late with my payments. I am currently unemployed for over a year now and I also ended up getting Covid. I called after setting up service in my new place and asked them to waive the connection fee of $28 due to my circumstances. They denied me! I wish I did not have to use Duke in my area.

Original review: May 18, 2020
      I had two accounts with Duke Energy and I accidentally applied one payment to the wrong account. Instead of applying the payment to the correct account, they sent me the money back and sent the wrong account that didnt get paid to a collection agency. In the process of me getting a bill from the collection agency and paying the collection agency, they reported that to the credit bureau and dropped my credit score from 827 to 725. Helvey & Associates is the credit reporting agency, they are refusing to take that off my credit report all because of an error that was made. I obviously have excellent credit and theyre refusing to take that error because of an error off my credit report, which is totally ridiculous. It doesnt make any sense. The original payment was made on time, and Duke Energy returned the check four months later, reported me a month before, and will do nothing to take that off my credit report, and wouldnt keep the money. So Im [unclear 0:01:44]. Used no common sense. And through all this, ruined my credit for nothing. And it cost them over $130. All this for $130.
      Original review: May 18, 2020

I am paying additional money every month, for interior wire repair by Duke Power. I called in March 2020 for issues, and again now mid-May 2020: They refuse to come out until ALL Covid-19 bans by State of Florida be lifted. We are now at all essential businesses open: electric is essential. But Duke Power won't let their sub-contractors come out to do repairs.

I HAVE NO LIGHT IN MY MASTER BATHROOM, due to fuse keeps tripping, and they won't send someone... even if I open all the windows, disinfect ALL surfaces, and stay outside while the electrician is here. This is a WASTE OF GOOD MONEY! DO NOT PAY EXTRA FOR THIS SERVICE UNTIL ALL RESTRICTIONS ON COVID ARE LIFTED BY STATE OF FLORIDA. I'm very mad and crazy. Seeing I have NO alternative for electricity... I don't have a choice!

Original review: March 22, 2020

I was overcharged $1000 in less than a year! I have all documentation to prove. After I finally PAID my way out of this horrid experience my bill went back to $68 for the month of February. My new “budget billing” rate for the 3 months was going to be $151 per month (every 3 months they change rate). I was constantly told that I would see a significant reduction every 3 months but it never happened! I was charged, basically 2-3 times last year's bills and this year I didn’t have a roommate! I have written an expose but I am still collecting data. If anyone has any POSITIVE thoughts on budget billing I haven’t heard them.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

Ever since my electricity meter was replaced with a Smart Meter, my consumption, as reported in the billing statement is consistently 400% higher than actual, as displayed on the meter itself. Clearly, there is an error in Duke's data processing and for two months I have been chasing them, demanding a correction, but to no avail. Perhaps they should operate in Africa rather than the US. The worst experience with a public utility in my entire (70 years) life. The public utilities commission should investigate and check for fraud or negligence... DG, Debary, Florida

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

We just moved to Winter Park, FL and Duke is our provider. When we activated service, Dec 16th, 2019, they said it’s a $210 deposit to start. First of all that’s an outrageous amount, and deposit for what anyways?? So we took the option to split it in two payments. $105 would be added to first bill, and $105 to second bill and the bill would be due around the 15th. However, this morning Jan 15th, 2020, woke up to a text message saying service will be disconnected unless we pay the past due $105 which they said was past due since Jan 3rd. The first person who signed us up gave us the wrong information and now scrambling to pay $105 before they disconnect our service. Horrible start!

Duke Energy of Florida Company Information