1.41/5

Need a utility company?

Florida

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

164 Duke Energy of Florida Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

So my Notice of Balance Due arrives in the mail. I had paid my bill approximately 8 hours late. Hmmmm. It seems extreme for them to send a Notice so quickly. I call the 1-800 number and speak to a poor sweet woman that has no clue why I’m so annoyed. I am insulted, and in my opinion for the notice to say: “If you are dissatisfied with the utility’s decision to refuse or discontinue service you may register your complaint” etc. is BULLYING! I tried to email customer service to determine why I received the notice so quickly and that was not available. How convenient!

My intent is to bring to light/or document how this huge monopoly is so unfair. It also seems really strange that the company spends our paid money to run expensive commercials to promote themselves when IN FACT we have NO CHOICE! I dealt with Hurricane Irma and this utility was so inept - I had no power for almost a week. Actually, I was lucky, lots of folks went longer w/o power. Thank goodness companies from all over the country came in to help. I don’t appreciate being held hostage and I think every customer of this utility, being small or large deserves respect. I sure as heck haven’t received it. What happened to fair practices? Do boatloads of money versus ethics really determine everything? PHOOEY.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

We had our power cut the day after Christmas, it completely crossed our mind with everything else going on. The power goes off and we instantly pay it and call Duke to let them know. We also let them know we have a newborn. I get there’s nothing they can do. It’s not like we didn’t have the money. It was an honest mistake and we paid for it RIGHT after the cutoff. They could at least be a little more courteous around the holidays and give us a knock and maybe say it’s about to get cut off, heads up or something. But no. Customer service doesn’t care. Going on 9 hours with no power with an infant. Thanks for being the WORST power company. And screw Seminole county for not having another company for us to use.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Very nasty company. Even after paying bill they want to keep me in darkness for 4 days. Christmas with no power. I hate this company. Called customer service 10 times. They do not have capability to view bill on a Saturday. Must wait for four days. The nd she's are WICKED too.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

This company is charged $250 to $300 per month. I change A/C thinking that was the problem and nothing, this past month I don’t using at all and my bills keep high $260. What is wrong with Duke Energy in Winter Park Fl???

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

When we pay our bill we pay it online. This past bill we tried paying it twice in one day and every time we submitted it - it would tell us to come back later and try it again. And when we went to view our bill it showed us we didn’t pay it. So we try the next day to pay it. Same amount is due - we go to pay it - it goes through and just tells us when our next payment for next month is. Two days later I went to use my card to get groceries and my card declined. I go to check my bank account - DUKE ENERGY CHARGED MY CARD 2 EXTRA TIMES... A EXTRA 250 dollars was taken out of my account. I look at my bill on Duke Energy and it says I’m -108. HAH.

I call customer service - and the guy was useless was just telling me about how it’s not their fault and my bank's fault for allowing the payments to go through. And he wouldn’t refund me. That money was for gas to get me to and from work and for groceries for the week... you couldn’t just refund me my money? When it was your site that messed up? Because why would I pay 122 dollars 3 times? Just beware of the online payment. If it doesn’t work next time just call them to tell them you tried to pay them and not keep trying to do it. Horrible experience and horrible customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of Florida?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

When my roommate and I moved into our apartment, Duke Energy left us with 3, 5-9 hr blackouts within the first week. Now, our bill is going up for no reason. My real issue, though, comes with paying the bill. I paid extra for my bill to be taken out of my account when I needed it to, but instead they waited almost two weeks before withdrawing it, and SOLELY because of the same-day fee that I paid, I was overdrafted and charged additional fees by my bank. And you know what? This isn’t even the first time. This place still has the audacity to charge me more and more every month, though. This is by far the worst customer service I have ever seen.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I have been a long time customer of Duke Energy (Progress Energy) at my current address for 11 years, and for some 20 years prior, at other addresses, and have NEVER had a hiccup, missed payment, disconnect, etc. Well due to a banking change, and misinformation by Duke, they shut off my power, while my kids were sleeping and just after my wife and I left for work (convenient timing I might add) about 2 months ago...

So long story short, after restoring power, having Duke update and SAVE my new banking information, and getting everything resolved, I now find out that I am being hit with a $685.00 service deposit, that must be paid on my account, or I will get shut off once again??? Won't even allow a payment extension, to get this choking payment paid either, as "we don't allow payment arrangements on service deposits."

After contacting customer service (a very loose term I might add) numerous times to voice my complaint and to try to get this ridiculous deposit reversed, I find out that due to the miscommunicated banking change, and that fact that my payment was returned due to "insufficient funds", that there is absolutely nothing that can be done to help me here? If it was returned because the account # was invalid, or there was no account that existed at all, then of course they could reverse it? In fact ANY other reason other than "insufficient funds" and they can reverse it, but in my case... Sorry and thanks for being a "LOYAL" Duke Energy customer???

Nothing can be done, after 30 years of on time payments, and 1 hiccup due to Duke's inability to capture and save my new banking information, this cannot be possible??? Well it is, and I am infuriated to say the least... In fact I would immediately change service providers based on my terrible experience and total lack of loyalty on Duke's part, however, sorry you can't change because DUKE is the only provider for my area??? Is this even legal???

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

My bill has increased by 50% with no explanation. I am unable to contact anyone in customer service to address my concerns. My use is the same as last year. However the cost has doubled for the same usage. I have a 3/2 no pool 3 people in the home, gas water heater and my electric bill is $500 dollars. Duke has been unresponsive.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Recently moved from Hillsborough County to Pasco County. All the years I lived in Hillsborough County, my electric bill has never been more than $120 with TECO. When I called to have my service turned on, I was told the bill payment history of previous owners to be between 100 - 200. Given the size of the house, I figured the history is fair. I was shocked when I received my first bill from Duke Energy for $336 for 3 weeks of service. I called to complain. The customer service told me maybe I was running both heat and cooling at the same time. So in March I changed the thermostat without auto to have better control of the A/C temperature. The lowest bill I've received so far is for $139 within five months of moving to this area. I've called several times to complain that the meter is not been read correctly. All I've received is unsatisfy answers.

Original review: July 2, 2018

In April I received an email from Arcadia Power who I had been paying my electric bill to for years stating Duke shut them out of my account so I followed their instructions and was told by Duke it went back to normal, me paying Arcadia and they pay Duke. Since my payment was automatically paid I didn't know I needed to check Duke's words until I received a termination notice if I didn't 't pay my bills. I never received any bills and requested them on June 20th. I still do not have them even after they called me again (Antonio **). I WANT TO PAY MY BILLS!

Original review: June 30, 2018

My house was finished May 17. I have been waiting for Duke to connect my power since then. I called today and was told my order had been dispatched three days ago and would be connected today but by 6pm I still had no power. There was not a cloud in the sky from 9am until 1pm so bad weather cannot be an excuse. I am going to end up having to pay a mortgage payment on my new house plus rent on the house I am currently living in because they will not come connect us. I am so exasperated dealing with this company.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I'm frustrated beyond belief over the billing issue I'm having with Duke Energy, not to mention I can't even choose to go elsewhere since this monopoly of a company is the only power company available in my location. In November 2017, I called to transfer my service, as I was relocating from one apartment complex to another to be closer to a new job. The man I spoke to seemed very confused about what I was trying to do and at one point said he was "confirming" my request to stop service for an address and start new service for that same address the following day...

Why in the world would I stop my service then reconnect it a day later for the same address??? I was very clear when I told him I was TRANSFERRING my service. After a very long phone call correcting him SEVERAL times, we finally ended the call with my service being stopped at one place and transferring over to the new place. I was relieved the guy finally understood what I wanted to do and the whole ordeal was over. So I thought... The complex I moved into ended up renting me a unit that was in completely unlivable, unsanitary conditions, therefore I had to transfer to a new unit and move AGAIN. So I called to have my service transferred again. I didn't have a huge issue this time, but the electric bill I received after that was a kick to the stomach. I somehow owed $326 for 2 months in a 1 bedroom apartment.

This made absolutely no sense and trying to dissect my bill was like performing dental surgery with no training. What I did find was a "deposit" for $155 rolled into my balance, along with a $28 connection charge. There was already deposit on my account, because you know, I was TRANSFERRING my service and this was noted at the very top of my bill. So I called to have this sorted out and was told I was not supposed to be charged another deposit and since I had just moved again, to wait for the new statement before making the payment because the deposit should drop off and the bill would "fix itself". So I waited for the new statement, which was now $479... The deposit did not drop off, nor did the bill "fix itself". I've called twice since to get this sorted with absolutely no luck.

I'm told the deposit doesn't get worked into the balance and was fed all of their other bs reasoning for why my bill is so high. I finally gave up and was just going to bite the bullet and make a payment so my power stayed on, regardless of knowing they're overcharging me. But I just can't let this go. I can't afford to pay for something I shouldn't be paying for. So I downloaded all of my statements so I could somehow prove they made a mistake and this time would try contacting by email so I could fully explain without being interrupted and told what I already know or what they're trained to say. But, of course when I found the option to email I immediately grew even more frustrated when I saw the character count max is 250... What is this Twitter??? How in the world am I supposed to explain my current situation with that many characters???

It's also funny how when this first started, there was a huge red banner on their website stating bills are higher than usual due to cold weather... Not there's a message stating they're improving their website and some features may not be working correctly - of course what isn't working correctly is the billing section. I can't even see any of the statements for my current address, because every time I click "View Bill" I'm given an error message that something went wrong. How smart, have everyone go to paperless billing then make it impossible to see what they're being charged for so they just have to pay it. Not to mention they now appear to charge a "convenience fee" of $1.50 to pay online. There was never a fee to pay online before. Looks like they're implementing this so customers are not only forced to use paperless billing, but also to use automatic payments so they never see they're being overcharged.

Even when I was on the phone this past Friday, making a payment because I just couldn't win my argument, the woman not only wouldn't listen to me but also kept insisting the deposit is never included in the balance but if she would have just looked at the same statement I was looking at, she would have seen it rolled right in there. I finally gave up and asked if there was some kind of payment plan because I can't exactly afford to pay nearly $500 for an electric bill. I was told I could pay half now and half in 2 weeks. She said she could take the payment by phone but would have to charge me $1.50 but if I made it online while she was on the line, I could pay it for free. SO NOT TRUE. I tried to make the payment online and was given two options, one of which went straight to another error message, and the other which also charged a $1.50 fee.

I told the lady the website would not let me pay online without charging me, so she said she would make the payment for me but had to include the fee. WHY? Why couldn't she waive the fee??? I'm obviously in dire straights over here with making payments I can't afford to make, but also YOUR WEBSITE WAS NOT WORKING - why should I be penalized??

It's pretty obvious this company is finding all kinds of ways to overcharge all of its customers and blame it on cold weather and whatever other bs they use to shut us up. And we have no choice but to sit here and take it because we have no other options in the area? This is ridiculous! After reading all of the other reviews, it's obvious this is a wide-spread problem and something needs to be done. Consumers should not be forced to use the services of a monopoly company with such deceitful practices.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Duke is the only power company that is available to me. I have no complaints regarding Duke, the bills are accurate, the rates are reasonable, and they offer budget billing which is a great feature.

Original review: March 1, 2018

They have been guesstimating my power usage without physically checking my meter... They told me at one time they were short staffed in field. I know this because I haven't been living there... I own it. But water heater/fridge/air... everything has been off for almost 3 months and numbers on meter are way diff. I took pictures... bill numbers. Big diff. I told them... "Don't give me another $100 bill." They adjusted once by 140 off after I caught them... Same at my fiance. His meter was totally down... Off... but they bill until I called. Said, "Hey, new meter." They said, "We'll adjust his..." Haven't yet.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

My puppy literally ate my electric bill, check & envelope. I tried to pay online but I don't know my account number since it's currently in my puppy's stomach (& I suspect it will be illegible when it reappears). I was on the line for 14 minutes before anyone picked up. The person was pleasant but no one should have to wait that long.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

During hurricane Irma this year and we lost power...the system was horrible... Couldn't get anyone a human on phone. Automated system gave out wrong info. Hopefully they fix it for next hurricane season.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

No policy to provide energy to disabled people who need oxygen-based machines during power outages; continually using rolling brown-outs and they have many power surges every month; couldn't find the downed feeder line after Hurricane Irma that was in my neighbor's backyard. We had no power for 7 days... the same line went down the year before with Matthew. They are idiots. They keep solar power in the grid so solar also loses power during outages.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

When there are power outages (which are fairly common in Florida due to storms and weather conditions), the company is quick in restoration. They also offer solutions for your home to help you save on your utilities. They also offer classes to consumers to assist in saving on your utilities.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have had no problems with Duke Energy. They are responsive with power outages & always keep you informed at your request. My bill is consistent as I am on budget billing.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

We went through hurricane Irma. Even though we were one of the last counties in FL to have electricity restored, Duke kept us updated (we had to flee due to my father not being able to survive without power) by FB & their website, which was very helpful.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

They are a fairly new company to this area, and so far, they are doing a decent, although not quite good enough job at this point, time will tell, and we shall see.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

They are just like any other energy company. They just keep raising the rates with no explanation. They give you all these excuses why the rates go up. Although in all fairness they did get the power back pretty fast here in Citrus County FL. Then when I got the first bill after the hurricane it is raised $16.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

On a regular basis the electric goes out just long enough to knock out and re-start everything in our home. Those re-starts I know increase the monthly cost of our electric bill.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My Duke Energy bill was late by 2 weeks. I get another bill with a due date and amount due reflecting the past due plus current due. I assume this means I can pay on due date indicated in the notice. In total I owed 235.00. It's not very high for 2 months. Well, they shut me off even though I wasnt warned or anything! They mislead me with their bill. No mention of turning off. I pay the bill plus reconnect fee (40.00).

A few days later, I get a notice saying they are adding 90 more dollars to my next bill as a deposit for being disconnected. The funny thing is, they blamed the charge on some Florida regulatory agency, accusing it of allowing them to charge the extra deposit. Anyway, I already have a deposit when I first moved in two years ago. I believe they are trying to be sneaky about collecting reconnection fees and deposits. What company acts this harshly to customers for being 2 weeks late? They are clearly manipulating their billing/disconnect practices to profit heavily on reconnect fees.

If I'm to believe other comments about losing deposits if you dont request it back then they are even more shady with their unreasonable practices. As a consumer, I've never dealt with such a greedy company and I am sorry I moved to the sunshine state where we have no recourse but to walk on eggshells around Duke. I was already upset over the disconnect. Now I'm angrier they want even more money from me. Well, I can see I am not alone. There is even a news story about Duke doing this to other customers. In the report, Duke ended up removing the deposit from the bills. It took public embarrassment to get them to treat customers with respect. Unfortunately they do not learn. I will be appealing this deposit request. And no, I will not update my review with more stars if they decide to treat me like a human being. They never should have disconnected me in the first place.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Twice now I've had issues with Duke and their billing and payments. I signed up for their auto pay, budget billing program, in order for each payment to be the same without fluctuating month to month. When we switched to this, I was told that my next payment would come out in two weeks. They failed to mention that an additional payment would be taken that same day. Strike one in my book. Now, I was trying to switch my payment method be for a payment due on the 27th, only to find out that a posted draft was executed on the 22nd, a full 5 days before said payment was scheduled to come out. Apparently, they just post a payment whenever they feel like it, due to holidays or whatever criteria they use. Granted, it hasn't actually come out of the account yet, but because it's posted, there's nothing I can do to fix it. No warning, no update, just posted without any communication or chance to change it.

Apparently, you can cancel a payment until 3 pm on the day it posts, but posting almost a week before the scheduled payment date is just ridiculous. The last time I contacted Duke about this, they said there was no way to rectify the situation. Once the money comes out, it's out. So now I'm assuming I'll be waking up tomorrow to find the money came out, Duke got theirs, and there's nothing I'll be able to do about it. If I had a chance to switch energy companies, I would in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, they're the only one around here, so I'm stuck with a company just deciding to post payments whenever they feel, without regard to actual, you know, customer service. Also, I tried calling to talk to someone, but they apparently are observing holidays longer than anyone else. Good to know my business is appreciated by these chumps.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

This is not about the Irma 5 day outage. Back in July they had a 15 hour power outage and I had to throw the contents of my fridge/freezer. I filed a claim and I just got an answer denying my claim, because "they are not liable because due to cause beyond their control". 1449 customers were affected, come to find out they found an underground primary power cable which failed due to adverse weather.

They send a card stating they upgraded their power grid, then came Irma and we were out 5 day. Again, fridge contents thrown out, can't afford to throw $600 worth of food every 3 months. You better believe I am going solar, don't want to be a hostage of their politics like this last time around with the unions who wouldn't touch the trees that fell on Teco lines or vice versa and they rejected the help from another power company who offered to take care of it. It took them 3 days to resolve! Scandalous!

Original review: March 18, 2017

I signed up for auto pay for my Duke Energy account. Easy and convenient, well it wasn't. Finally after several attempts to enter my banking info it took my info and I was all set. Until today, I was notified that the payment was returned by my bank. Of course the first thing I did was check my bank account and enough funds were there. I called Duke customer service, that was an adventure. After 5 minutes of pressing 0000 a rep came on the line. A very rude young lad named Ryan, he informed me that I made an incorrect keystroke causing the return, he then proudly informed me that I would be charged a $30 return fee. What the??? For making a mistake of course I lost my temper and Ryan hung up on me. I called Duke again and made a credit card payment with a $2.20 convenience fee. Once again the consumer is screwed by corporate control. Can't switch. They're the only game in town, and I don't want to watch TV by candlelight.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2014

My bill is getting increasingly higher. I am the only income at the moment; my mom (who is 84 and recently had a stroke) lives with me and I just need 5 days to pay my bill. I am doing the best I can, but times are tough and this Corp has no regard for life... No mercy.

Original review: April 22, 2013

For the past two months, they have shut off my electricity while I was in the house working. Admittedly, they did send a notice warning me that I was late and they would cut off my electricity in ten days. By the time the notice arrived, I was down to six days. On both occasions, I thought I had paid it, so I didn't respond. I could not believe that they did not send a second notice or at least give me a phone call. If the employee who shut down my electricity had simply knocked on my door and told me she was about to shut it off, I would have paid right then and there. Instead, as soon as the electricity went off, I had to pay the bill plus a $40 reconnect fee and wait six to eight hours without electricity.

I have been a customer at this address for 13 years. I am almost 60 years old and I have never encountered such terrible service from any company in my life. Now, they want me to pay them a $295 deposit fee that they will hold for two years, or they will shut off my electricity again. The stress that this company has given me will probably be responsible if I have a heart attack.

Original review: April 17, 2013

I made several changes in my home to improve energy; bills go up and down depending on the seasons. However, they don't seem to be low enough and in some cases are higher than the year before I made the changes. I have two concerns. I recently heard that Progress Energy was making donations to the campaign for the Governor, and now they are changing their name to Duke Energy. Who pays for this? Consumers. Certainly we will pay for campaign money, and administrative costs for business changes usually do too.

Duke Energy of Florida Company Information