Florida

3.0/5 (403 ratings)

About Duke Energy of Florida

Duke Energy of Florida Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of Florida?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of Florida?

Original review: April 20, 2022

The people are not trained. They always give you the wrong info. Very sad we have to deal with them, people are knocking mine door claiming they work with Duke Energy, I try to get license plates but they always waking, file a complaint, but nobody stops all the scammers.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I set up a service, never received the paper bill. Was set up on their new pilot online communication program which failed as I never received a bill. I only received some marketing communication. They never sent me a bill and I closed the account as it was a rental unit and the tenant took the account over. Next thing I know there is a creditor and my information was posted as a negative on my credit. Duke never did anything to correct this. I spoke to several people and they say they will get back and escalate it and they never do. I just spoke with someone named Ashley and she was so rude and put me on hold on purpose just to annoy me.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I had service transferred to me in November. On both the December and January bills they "estimated" the reading to have not changed at all. As a result there is no charge for actual electric usage. Because of this, they are charging me for a $30 minimum use charge. I would not have to pay that charge if they accurately reviewed my meter and put the actual usage in. At some point they will actually read the meter and charge me for all of the electrical usage I have used, but in the meantime they will be collecting these fees which is actually just stealing money from me.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

After months of advising customers they will be installing a new computer program (last year) and now there is more outrages with the new program! Today 01/23/2022 another emergency repair with no notice! This is one of many problems Duke Energy just keeps putting big bandages on. Here is another problem ,our line feeds thru a area where racoons or animals able to reach lines and chew thru causing line to shut down time after time! Would it be better to trim back brush?

Duke Energy Fl does not offer good energy saving programs on Manufactured Homes, it is like they are red lining against these homes so the pay someone's paycheck! These problems they are having is in every state they are operating in Ohio,Indiana, West Va, NC, SC. Etc. We are paying for a bad investment they made buying a damaged Nuclear Power plant which had a damaged reactor crack! We are paying monthly for this bad deal each and every month! When is someone going to put the brakes on and force them to clean up there act. Even the investors would agree what what is being said!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

Duke Energy mistakenly reported my account to collections. My credit has been ruined for 6 years and the collection company that has the file won’t even do written correspondence. They are unprofessional, can’t make outgoing calls, and make false promises they refuse to put in writing. Duke Energy has done nothing to remedy the situation. I have disputed through the credit bureaus and Duke continues to say the debt is valid. I am out of recourses and this giant company refuses to even let me speak to a manager.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Power outage after lightning around 6:30 pm, on their app they reported services will be back 10 pm. It is 12:17 am and no services established yet. I doubt they can provide proper services on a worse event.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Don't waste your money in Duke's home wiring repair essential. They do not respond to a claim for the service for which I pay for, called many times and they have told me that some electric company was going to call me but never happened.

Original review: July 30, 2021

My mother and Stepfather were both in the ICU in 2 different hospitals with Covid. My daughter also got the Covid while visiting them and ended up having to quarantine alone at their house. I asked my daughter to try to find all their utility bills so I could pay them. She screenshot shot me the Duke Energy bill on the night of the 20th. The bill said it was due on the 20th.. $258.00. I was going to call them the next morning to call Duke and let them know what was going on and I was going to pay it. My daughter called me panicked first thing in the morning to tell me they shut off the electric. They didn’t even wait a day! I called them to let them know what was going on and they didn’t care. I had to pay the bill immediately if I wanted the electric back on. It’s Florida and 100 degrees.

My daughter was sick with Covid.. Of course I paid it and had it turned on. They said they were going to charge a $40 reconnect fee on the next bill. As if that wasn’t bad enough, my stepfather died and the day after, they sent a bill saying that on top of the next month bill, and $40 connection fee, they were going to charge a $350 deposit fee because of the late bill.. My parents never paid late, the bill was always paid on time and now my poor mother will have to pay a $700 electric bill next month, on top of her sick and her husband dead. It’s a total monopoly because there aren’t any other choices for energy around here. They are good Christian people, who are going through so much and Duke doesn’t care. I had to post this, so at least others could be aware.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I’ve had service with Duke for years and never a fan but this takes the cake. They are trying to charge me another deposit while my account currently holds a deposit. Not legal! Then I had identity stolen and have fraud alert on my credit. They are asking me to REMOVE my ONLY safeguard to my credit and lasts 7 yrs plus. You gotta be kidding me! Every small issue or any issue Duke plods along not caring if I have power and I’m 100% disabled war veteran. Makes me ill.

Original review: July 15, 2021

I called support yesterday and left a message for them to call me back. It has been 24 hours and no call. I have also sent two emails to their support and no response. I wonder when I'll hear from their claim support?

Original review: July 13, 2021

Our energy got shut off Monday morning and when we called, they said they were going to turn it back up the next day noon. The next day, they told us 3 times they were going to turn it on at three different times, and the power WASN'T turned on for any of those times. We called them and they said they will send a technician AFTER 7 (when their customer service get off work) and when we got back at 10, the power was never turned on. Now we’re left with no electricity - no air conditioning, lighting and can’t even charge our phone. All this company provided with us is broken promises.

Original review: April 21, 2021

I have 2 complaints.

1) The balanced billing offered to me by Duke Energy at my Clermont Florida address is a fraud. I would end up paying more to Duke for the privilege of paying a consistent dollar amount monthly. I have balanced billing at my home in North Dakota and that gives me a bill that is equalized throughout the year. I never pay for more than what I use,

2) I have surge protection at my Florida home and have not been able to use it. I recently attempted to call in a claim and was on hold for more than half an hour so I accepted the recorded offer to leave a call back number. After waiting a couple of hours I called again and chose a different option and had the human on the other end switch me to the repair line

After waiting about 10 mins. I got a technician who explained to me why my garage door opener would not be covered. I then ask about canceling a service that I have paid for 12 years and have never been able to use and was told that if I dropped the coverage the surge protector device on my service connection would be removed putting me in an even more vulnerable position. It occurs to me that after 12years I've paid for the device that at least offers me the illusion of some protection. IMHO Duke Energy should be required to place the surge protection device on every home it services. I certainly believe that after 12 years of paying for a service I have paid for the physical surge protector.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I've had Duke for years in my first apartment and never had a problem, it was honestly perfect even when my mate moved out they made it super easy to switch accounts. And then I moved into a new house and they wanted $500 to just turn the power on. Then an extra $25 connection fee, and then made us pay an extra bill for some reason that wasn't even linked to any previous property I had. We don't even live in the house and they were telling us that our monthly payments have to be at least $250. I really regret moving to Florida and ever meeting this company after today. They're just a rip off just like Orange County Utilities.

Original review: March 28, 2021

Duke Energy are straight thieves and the most unethical company I have dealt with in my life, I moved into a brand new smart home and initially my electric bill ran 295-305 a month for a almost 3000 sq foot home, so when they sent me a mailer about a energy efficient plan and they would do a review and lock me into a rate every month I said yes thinking it would be lower than what I had been paying for over a half a year, so they come back with 305 a month not much of a savings!

So the pandemic hits. There is a moratorium on not cutting anyone's electric off. I continue to pay faithfully, then I noticed my bill jumps to 795 four months into this so called scam of a energy efficient plan. This goes on for over four consecutive months until I call and ask what in the hell is going on and they proceeded to tell me this plan, "You're not locked into what was quoted," that Duke can change it at anytime so I say take me off this **. They tell me I would have to pay not only the month due at 795 but because we are a few days into the next cycle I would have to pay that month at that cost as well!

Now keep in mind this is based off a meter haven't even been read yet, now this past month I paid my bill on the day it had a disconnect notice which I paid in the morning with my bank debit card with a confirmation and thirty minutes later my electric goes off. I call and they apologize for their mistake then a week later I get a letter from these damn scammers saying, "Because your service was interrupted you have to pay a deposit." Now keep in mind I paid a damn deposit before service was established a deposit of 595 dollars. These people are crooks plain and simple and I decree in the name of yeshua that those in charge will come to poverty and the company becomes bankrupt!!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

Worst customer service in the world, I have recently been trying to set up my electric and for a week I’ve got multiple excuses with nobody knowing what’s going on and nobody giving reasons to why they can’t get out and turn service on a new address.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

While customer service is great, great, actual service is horrible. I have lived in my current home for almost a year and this is the first time I've ever had Duke Energy. I have a minimum of 1-2 power outages since I've been here. I'm in the middle of town, not out in the woods! In the previous 6 years, I had WREC for power service and had maybe 2 or 3 outages at most in over a year. Again, here, with Duke and in the last 9 months, I have at least 1-2 outages per month. It's ridiculous! Do something to strengthen your equipment or something! I am a very unsatisfied and if I had the option to change providers, I would do so in a heartbeat.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I switch to solar trying to save money but Duke never give me the credit that I have to receive after my system produce. I have 32 panels /320w and they always said that have back to the grid 400 kw and my production is 1200kw min a month. Duke is stealing everybody.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

After the hurricane in 2017 Duke Energy called me and offered me their surge protection for $5.99 a month. I did not want it at first. But they talked me into it going on and on that I would be covered for up to $5000 on equipment that was lost du to and electrical storm or hurricane. I took it. Two or three months ago due to an electrical storm I lost two blu-ray‘s and two Roku‘s. I have been paying $5.99 a month for like close to four years. I called and was given the runaround. I was told to take my stuff to Best Buy and they would test it to confirm if it was ruined due to an electrical surge. And then they will cover the charge. So I took my stuff to Best Buy.

Best Buy didn’t know what I was talking about. They didn’t understand why Duke Energy keeps sending customers to them to test equipment for surge damage. That is not something that they do. So it was suggested to me that I take pictures of the equivalent equipment with prices and send that in with my claim. So I did. Duke Energy refused to pay, they denied the claim for two reasons.

The first reason is that each piece of equipment was under $100 each. So even though I am out $360, each piece of equipment was not over $100. Nothing like that was ever said to me when they talked me into taking the insurance. Also, I need to take it to someone who can test it to confirm that it’s been singed from an electrical search. I told them I could not find anyone to do that and ask them for suggestions. They said that they did not know, but that I had to somehow figure it out myself. BUT since each piece of equipment was under $100 each anyway, they just plain weren’t going to pay it. PERIOD. So basically they charge you $5.99 A month for an insurance that they never ever have any intention on paying on. They basically just suck money out of their customers.

I do not recommend the surge protection, they will not pay it under any circumstance anyway. I also am so disgusted by Duke Energy as a whole. If there was a personal private company that I could get my electricity from I would do that. Anything than to pay a dime into Duke Energy. Save you $5.99 a month and replace your own equipment, you’ll end up having to do that anyway.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

Duke Energy is as crooked as can be. If we had a choice we would chose another company. Unfortunately we do not! We were warned about them... our bill was $120 more than the month before and we were only home for 15 day. IMPOSSIBLE!

Original review: July 24, 2020

I have lived at my residence for 10+ years and I’ve never had an electric bill over $150. Even in the hot summer months. My husband & I are EXTREMELY energy/electricity usage conscious & we have always taken measures to keep our energy cost lower than the average homeowner. Our average bill is always close to or under $100 until recently. I understand electric bills are higher in the summer & I’m aware inflation is inevitable but these past two months, our bill has been well over the normal dollar amount. One was $190 and the next was $220.

It’s unfortunate consumers are not able to shop around or choose their electric company. Duke Energy should be ashamed. I’m never one to complain but I refuse to be plowed over by these monopoly corporations and I will take the necessary steps to make my voice heard. Starting with this Consumer Affairs review. I hope we, as consumers, can all come together to instill change and put a stop to this unfair, drastic increase in our energy bills.

Original review: July 2, 2020

Updated on 08/07/2020: Well today has been a month since I filed a complaint with Duke Energy. They turned me over to Sedgwick that handles claims for them. I was given a claim number and told someone would be in touch with us. On 7/20 we hadn't heard from anyone. I called back and was told that Natalie was our examiner and they transferred me to her. It went into her voice mail. I left a detailed message. On 7/24 we still hadn't heard back from her. So on 7/24 since no one returned our calls I called again. I finally talked with Sheila. I explained everything to her. She was very understanding.

She tried to transfer me to Natalie again and got her recording. I got her phone number and then Sheila transferred me to her I guess supervisor Todd **. But of course it went into his voice mail. I again left a detailed message on what was going on. I ask him to please call my husband on his cell phone. Since he never returned my call we have left Natalie at least 6 different messages. That includes today 8/7/2020. She doesn't even have the courtesy to return our calls. At this point I guess we're going to be stuck with having to fix our property until they decide to tear it up again. Why can't something be done about this????

Original Review: We're really feed up with Duke Energy. This is actually the 3rd time they have come on our property and literally tore up the easement that they have access to. But actually we own, pay the taxes and insurance on and maintain year round. About 2 weeks ago they sent Logan ** to our home. He claimed they needed to take down some trees. I told him of the problems in the past and that it cost us the last time approximately $2,500 and 2 years of getting the property back to where we could maintain it. Of course he lied to us and said, it would look just as good when they were through. He said, to call him with any problems. When they started tearing up the property again we tried calling him. Of course his phone wasn't taking any messages and it's been that way since.

They tell you whatever and really don't care. They came Wednesday July 2, 2020 to grind some stumps that my husband complained about. Of course when they got here they claimed they could only grind the stumps that weren't in the easement. My husband and I questioned why they took down trees that weren't in the easement. The grass is totally gone. All is left is dirt. The last time they destroyed our property we had to bring in top soil and over seed it. After 2 years we finally had it looking great. Now you can't even put a mower on it. It has literally brought me to tears. All that hard work for nothing.

They claim they're going to bring some dirt next week and fill in the ruts. We're stilling going to be left with a mess. It's not right or fair. Just because Duke Energy has access to the easement doesn't mean they should be able to tear it up and not be responsible to make sure it looks like it did when they started. Like they assure you it well before they start. Robert and Roberta

Original review: July 1, 2020

I have been a customer for over 20 years and have had numerous residents never late with my payments. I am currently unemployed for over a year now and I also ended up getting Covid. I called after setting up service in my new place and asked them to waive the connection fee of $28 due to my circumstances. They denied me! I wish I did not have to use Duke in my area.

Original review: May 18, 2020
I had two accounts with Duke Energy and I accidentally applied one payment to the wrong account. Instead of applying the payment to the correct account, they sent me the money back and sent the wrong account that didnt get paid to a collection agency. In the process of me getting a bill from the collection agency and paying the collection agency, they reported that to the credit bureau and dropped my credit score from 827 to 725. Helvey & Associates is the credit reporting agency, they are refusing to take that off my credit report all because of an error that was made. I obviously have excellent credit and theyre refusing to take that error because of an error off my credit report, which is totally ridiculous. It doesnt make any sense. The original payment was made on time, and Duke Energy returned the check four months later, reported me a month before, and will do nothing to take that off my credit report, and wouldnt keep the money. So Im [unclear 0:01:44]. Used no common sense. And through all this, ruined my credit for nothing. And it cost them over $130. All this for $130.
Original review: May 18, 2020

I am paying additional money every month, for interior wire repair by Duke Power. I called in March 2020 for issues, and again now mid-May 2020: They refuse to come out until ALL Covid-19 bans by State of Florida be lifted. We are now at all essential businesses open: electric is essential. But Duke Power won't let their sub-contractors come out to do repairs.

I HAVE NO LIGHT IN MY MASTER BATHROOM, due to fuse keeps tripping, and they won't send someone... even if I open all the windows, disinfect ALL surfaces, and stay outside while the electrician is here. This is a WASTE OF GOOD MONEY! DO NOT PAY EXTRA FOR THIS SERVICE UNTIL ALL RESTRICTIONS ON COVID ARE LIFTED BY STATE OF FLORIDA. I'm very mad and crazy. Seeing I have NO alternative for electricity... I don't have a choice!

Original review: March 22, 2020

I was overcharged $1000 in less than a year! I have all documentation to prove. After I finally PAID my way out of this horrid experience my bill went back to $68 for the month of February. My new “budget billing” rate for the 3 months was going to be $151 per month (every 3 months they change rate). I was constantly told that I would see a significant reduction every 3 months but it never happened! I was charged, basically 2-3 times last year's bills and this year I didn’t have a roommate! I have written an expose but I am still collecting data. If anyone has any POSITIVE thoughts on budget billing I haven’t heard them.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

Ever since my electricity meter was replaced with a Smart Meter, my consumption, as reported in the billing statement is consistently 400% higher than actual, as displayed on the meter itself. Clearly, there is an error in Duke's data processing and for two months I have been chasing them, demanding a correction, but to no avail. Perhaps they should operate in Africa rather than the US. The worst experience with a public utility in my entire (70 years) life. The public utilities commission should investigate and check for fraud or negligence... DG, Debary, Florida

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

We just moved to Winter Park, FL and Duke is our provider. When we activated service, Dec 16th, 2019, they said it’s a $210 deposit to start. First of all that’s an outrageous amount, and deposit for what anyways?? So we took the option to split it in two payments. $105 would be added to first bill, and $105 to second bill and the bill would be due around the 15th. However, this morning Jan 15th, 2020, woke up to a text message saying service will be disconnected unless we pay the past due $105 which they said was past due since Jan 3rd. The first person who signed us up gave us the wrong information and now scrambling to pay $105 before they disconnect our service. Horrible start!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

Is amazing to see how the bill change every month when 2 people living in the home and we consume same energy every month, kWh, change every single month, same consume every month, different bill, stay away from this company, ohh before I forget! Stay away from Budget. Billing, is a big joke.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Big fraud in Duke HVAC plans. I paid for two years with no claims and as soon as I need to actually get something fixed, they tell me my unit is out of warranty and therefore not covered. Well if it was under warranty then I wouldn’t need Duke. They say $5000 in coverage but really only cover a couple hundred dollars of electrical hardware. And they will not replace any units. So don’t waste your time with Duke. It will just upset you. Get a real home warranty that actually covers your home instead of just the front door if you know what I mean. It’s just not worth it. And then to make it all really sting, they told me “it’s in the fine print.” So you all know exactly what that means.... Duke cannot be trusted...

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I live in a condo/apartment complex outside of Haines City, Fl. We are always losing our power and then it takes hours to get it back. It just failed again; weather is fine, no storms, it's in the daytime, basically no real excuse for it to fail, as usual. Duke Energy must know by now why it goes out so often but they don't do anything to fix it permanently. Since they claim it only affects 42 customers. I guess they figure is it's not worth the trouble, which is probably also why their response is so slow.

If I gave the same lack of regard to paying my bill as they give to customer service/satisfaction they'd turn my power off immediately. They only seem to care about how much money they can squeeze out of their customers; I've read that they're going to raise their rates again. What incredible gall! They're incapable of supplying a dependable service but they want to charge even more. I found out they have a BBB (Better Business Bureau) rating of A+. Maybe we should should be making our complaints to the BBB, then they'd pay a little more attention. I've lived all over our country and Duke is absolutely the worst power company I've ever had.

Duke Energy of Florida Company Information