South Carolina

2.7/5 (78 ratings)

About Duke Energy of the Carolinas

Duke Energy of the Carolinas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of the Carolinas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of the Carolinas?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

They give you the run around on the customer call line and lie for each other. Duke Energy is trash. I called multiples of times to clear my father's account. He died. All I gotten in the last three months is a bunch of lies.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

I wanted to send an email and a complaint about Duke Energy. We were getting our electrical service upgraded at our newly purchased home from partially original hardware (1967). I spoke to two people at Duke Energy two weeks before our scheduled work days in order to have them come out a physically turn off the power to our house and have it scheduled to have them come turn it back on in two days. The day it was supposed to be turned off, they never showed up to have it disconnected. I found out the following day (my electricians should have told me the day of but didn't.) that the power was not in fact cut off, despite my account with Duke saying that it had been disconnected. I spoke with four different people that day at Duke Energy to get it disconnected.

All customer service agents were useless and didn't understand or care that it needed to be shut off, that they didn't shut it off as they should have the day before, and were completely ignorant to their own jobs. Finally they shut it off the second day. Four days later (two of which were weekend days), our inspection is completed and we are set to have the power turned back on. I spoke to over 15 people that day, was transferred from department to department an insane amount of times, and was on the phone for hours trying to get our power back on to no avail. The customer service agents were all completely useless, ignorant, and utterly shameful for the service they should be giving and for the fact that Duke Energy is such a large company. They should have actual training for their agents to be able to serve the customers they provide service to better. It's astonishing how horrible it was.

The next day, my husband called Duke Energy because I was absolutely at the end of my rope with this and we desperately needed our power back on as we had spent over $500 staying at a hotel while we had no power and we have two young children. The customer service agent my husband spoke to LAUGHED at him when he spoke to her that we needed the power back on today and that they had been sent everything they needed by us and the county. Disrespectful and utterly ridiculous. After speaking to another agent, Tony, after that, we finally got our service turned back on. All of this makes me want to never use Duke Energy again and I hope they go out of business. They have one stars on Google reviews and the only reason is because they can't be given a zero stars on there. No one has anything good to say about this terrible company. Please do something about this. I cannot believe they can treat people like this.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

Hands down worst customer experience I have ever received. Called about my bill being charged duplicate charge of $117.08 on the same day and was told by everyone I spoke to “I understand this situation is messed up but my hands are tied”. Eventually told me to contact my bank and my bank handled it but once my bank refunded me ONE of the TWO charges they were alerted and billed me again for the same amount because I was refunded 1 or the duplicate charges. INSANITY and all they do is tell you “my hands are tied” and the aggression and rudeness in most of the customer service reps tones was something I have never experienced before. Then the rep proceeded to go on a rant about how Bank of America is awful so I hung up after 2 hours and no resolution.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

We have lost power 6 times for several hours over the last 5 months and have woken up to blinking clocks other times, not knowing how long the power was out. Anytime there is a storm, we are just waiting to lose power, have no confidence in their service anymore. I would give Duke’s power service 0 stars, but the review made me give them one.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

This company is awful. I moved out in June and am being billed through August. They say you have to stop service over the phone but never actually tell you that and give you the option to do it online then claim they don’t accept that.

Original review: July 14, 2022

We placed order for new/additional service installed to our garage. During whole there has been no contact or update on my work order. We make multiple phone calls to Duke Energy with no progress. We asked for supervisor multiple times and Duke stated they do not give out that information. That calling the builder support line is only option to resolve the issue

Original review: July 7, 2022

We have been sitting here since 5:30 p.m. without any power with small children and being pregnant. About to lose all my food. Possibly lose my bearded dragon. Praying and hoping I don't go in labor in this heat. They said it'll be back on at 11:30 p.m. and then turn around and say, "Oh 9:00 a.m.." And it says, "Sorry we understand your concerns." What a crock of **. I don't think you understand completely at all. I will be calling the manager first thing in the morning and I will flip the hell out. If there was another power company I'll be going to them instead of Duke Energy. They cost way too much. And I barely use any power other than the AC here lately because it's super hot with a bunch of small kids and being pregnant.

Original review: June 30, 2022

Someone in my complex gave them the wrong apartment number which canceled my account and pushed my deposit into my bill. Not only did they not confirm with me any cancellations or transfers but I was told they can’t do anything to reverse the deposit and they can’t even bother to call the current account holder to confirm a transfer or cancellation. Now I see why Duke Wnergy has so many negative reviews.

Original review: June 18, 2022

They have unreliable service and their rates are constantly going up with no explanation. I live on a fixed income and always leave on the same lights on cook the same weekly meals and do not have any changes. My rates keep fluctuating monthly with their erroneous explanation saying that I used more which is untrue. Then they keep asking me to pay for others that do not pay their bills because I never miss my payments but my electricity keeps getting interrupted weekly with their outages for just any unexplained simple thunder or just rain. Not any major storms. I lost a lot of my food this week and I had no power for two days. This is getting ridiculous already. What is going on!!! Could someone in the the government investigate this company please. Thank you. I have medical condition and can’t live with this ongoing problem. Thank you.

Original review: June 14, 2022

I moved to MN from NC in June of 2020 during the pandemic, I learned that I had an outstanding bill for the months of July - October 2020 that I was never contacted about for 2 YEARS! Apparently they sent the bill to collection and collections sent the bill back to Duke Energy. I find out 2 years down the line I was charged for 4 months of Electric I wasn't even in the state of NC to rack up. This outstanding debt that belongs to the owner of the home I was removed from during the start of the Covid pandemic is keeping me from moving into an apartment here in June of 2022. Customer service and their supervisors would not assist me at ALL and said that the charge for something I didn't use for 4 months would remain on record until someone else comes along and assumes responsibility for the charges, Leaving my disabled Mother and I about to be homeless in the middle of June in MN living under a bridge.

Duke Energy of the Carolinas Company Information