1.07/5

Need a utility company?

South Carolina

70 Duke Energy of the Carolinas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 7, 2019

My bill was ranging from $70-$90 monthly. We live in a mobile home, trying to save some money. My son is almost all day at school and my husband and myself working outside. We never leave lights on, and always following the "energy saving" tips, led lights, etc. On December Duke started "refunding" me the $250 deposit. I got a bill on Dec 2018 $79.15, then January 2019 was $93.67. They was just discounting that from my deposit, HOWEVER on February they sent me a bill for $156.83, WHAT? Almost the double, and I DON'T have any heating on them. I pay GAS separately. In March the bill was $146.03, and then on April they set it back to $97.81. There was NOTHING different done on those 2 months. They just needed to get Back MY DEPOSIT. There is NO WAY for you to arrange anything with them, they are so greedy in their charges. I'm so Dissatisfied and Disappointed with Duke Energy.

Original review: April 28, 2019

It's obvious that they are getting away with highway robbery by overcharging customers with their "smart meters", they should be called "cash cow meters". I'm a 39 year old bachelor living in a 1 bedroom apartment that less than a thousand square feet, I work 40 hours a week, I shut the power strip off every day, the only appliances on while I'm away is the fridge and microwave. My bill for March-April 2019 is $103, last year it was $40. Christmas 2017, I had Christmas lights/tree and lights on the deck, Nov.22-Dec.22 bill was $124.59 @ 687 kWh. Christmas 2018, NO CHRISTMAS LIGHTS at all, Nov.22-Dec.22 bill was $188.29 @ 1,840 kWh. How is it that I know for a fact I used considerably less energy and my bill keeps going higher. There seriously needs to be a class action lawsuit.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I have lived in eastern Asheboro for almost twelve years, from the time I had my home built. There are underground power lines in this neighborhood, in my time here I have had more power outages than I can possibly recall. It's so bad that if the wind blows I run to my panel box and start cutting off major utilities. The power here is suspect to flicker on and off regularly and has cost me thousands of dollars over time. It fired my HVAC blower motor flickering once that cost 500 dollars to have replaced One winter, I was in Tennessee and wife and young children were home getting cold.

This year has been especially bad with the hurricanes and rains, I've emptied and replaced my food three times costing nearly 1,500 total, it fried my upstairs AC unit by flickering during hurricane Florence, costing me 4700 hundred dollars to have replaced, it burnt out my brand new golf carts internal charging board flickering on and off costing me 800 dollars to replace. Me and my wife obviously couldn't work or send oldest to school with no water or power when we went four days down which cost use our income.

It has been a twelve year constant pain in the side, it's a major reason behind why I'm planning on selling this home and moving under REMC coverage elsewhere. There comes a point when a company should become inclined to acknowledge their actions or lack thereof, the results of these actions and take care of the consumers that keep them in business. Their equipment is old, worn out and outdated, they know this but do nothing to update it, they don't repair or replace any of it unless it fails. Like many others customers they service, I have never missed or been late making my huge monthly payment to this company, but they do nothing to help us consumers and the reasons are simple, it cost a lot of money that they are unwilling to spend satisfying the little guys.

They have the best of the best in the extremely affluent sections of their coverage areas, when a disaster happens they send the repair crews to the wealthiest amongst us first. These aren't just accusations made by a jealous poor man, I'm not poor by any means and work in close proximity with the electric service providers across the middle Eastern part of the country.

When the second of two deadly hurricanes hit us (Florence and Matthew) REMC had initiated the emergency protocols, they had dozens and dozens of trucks from all across the country staged beforehand along with every support element necessary to successfully battle a natural disaster, while maintaining coverage as well as humanly possible and restoring coverage quickly when it was knocked out. They did their consumers a tremendous job throughout both storms while enduring the hardships of each head on.

Duke had dozens trucks in place for hurricane Florence also, but failed to have the appropriate support element's in place or a staging site efficient enough to proficiently carry out operations necessary to ensure consumers with the best coverage possible or shortest down times possible. They were forced to scramble and then repair equipment, fuel trucks, replenish supplies, and prepare for duty so while in the harsh elements, even sleeping and eating whatever was available inside the repair trucks. It was totally unprofessional and ineffective at providing acceptable service to consumers, or acceptable work conditions for the repair crews.

The second hurricane to come through (Matthew I believe) found REMC ready and prepared to handle it head on again. Duke however decided to ignore the weather forecaster's predictions, they made an internal decision to ignore the national weather advisory also, they decided that it was going to be a very minor event and it would blow over, I believe they assumed the weather service was over inflating its impact because hurricane Florence had so grossly exceeded predictions. Whatever convinced them hurricane Matthew wasn't a serious event and didn't represent a legitimate threat to Central North Carolina is irrelevant, because it was a major storm and did substantial damage to North Carolina, along with Florida up to New York and everything in-between. They didn't initiate any emergency protocols at all.

When the hurricane hit one company was on top of it wide open and maintained outstanding service, the other was caught with its pants down and only had its normal repair crews on duty, two trucks that were themselves short repair men to form two complete crews to operate them. Power was interrupted all across the east coast and those of us with Duke energy spent days without power because they had to call for help from FEMA, almost every electric crew in the country was either on the east coast already or headed there, finding the support was difficult and it took time to free them up and arrive, it was a terribly miserable time for almost all Duke consumers, along with the crews they needed who had to scramble to get done at one location and race here with no rest to fight our hurricane.

It was totally Duke Energy's fault, it was created entirely because of greed, they rolled the dice to try and save money at the expense of the consumers and service crew workers' well being, they failed. The others who were covered by a membership Corp had very short outages and were taken care of quickly, Duke's consumers had literally days to wait and not even an apology for mismanaging a natural disaster and causing thousands of consumers excessive, unnecessary hardship was coming.

But after a few weeks we did all receive a letter in the mail explaining basically that even though they had cut every corner and pinched every penny possible, it was still costly and our rates were going up as a direct reflection of the huge amount it cost them to repair their equipment after the storms. Do you think they used this extra money to upgrade this obsolete equipment? No, not even a little, so I sit here in the dark going on hour 8 at 1:46 am because it sprinkled this afternoon and we had a twenty mph wind gust. My 279 dollar power bill is in my mail box as I type this, my home is occupied 24/7 so that's just another average bill.

But the fact that terrible coverage has cost me right at 7,000 dollars in repairs this year alone has given me a lot of reasons to think about my arrangements.... I can sell and relocate (what a pain), I can buy a Generac whole house system and propane powered appliances (at this rate it'll pay for itself in under two years) or just keep taking it and continue getting crappy service while paying top dollar for it along with paying good money to fix my belongings their negligence Continuously damages. You will never win against any crooked corporate with a Monopoly on its consumers, so options are always limited, but I don't have to continue giving them my money, although leaving them isn't as easy as a phone call either, unfortunately.

I do plan on moving under a providers umbrella that I know first hand at least gives Max effort to provide quality service. I feel bad for anyone like myself who unknowingly chooses to build in a poor electric service providers district and even worse if you were unlucky enough to build in one of that provides us worst coverage as I did. It's bad enough to have second or third rate coverage, it's even worse when you get the worst they have to offer.

Here's an idea, on the off chance any Duke executive were to see this and care enough to make it this far! If you're unwilling to update or replace your worn out, rusty, garbage equipment you have hanging all over the state, with new improved equipment that we all know exists, and you're also unwilling to properly trim trees on a realistic scale to properly allow appropriate power line clearance. The least you could do is stop raising rates and offer some kinda coverage Ins. That could help guys like me when your ** service destroys my most valuable electronic utilities and possessions, it could provide some relief in the repairs. Not necessarily laptops or ceiling fans, that's whatever. But an HVAC system, an electric golf cart computer, 500 dollars worth of spoiled groceries over and over, fridge's, freezers, water pumps, solid waste pumps, televisions and other expensive items we pay a lot for.

We have family members on oxygen pumps that require electricity, no power they gotta go to hospital or a power source at best. You are supposed to provide an extremely important service but your pathetic efforts coupled with dangerous assumptions regarding natural disasters isn't just dangerous. It's unacceptable! Once again someone there should be held accountable. A lot of these things are necessities when you have children and others depending on you, But either way, many of us work hard everyday to pay your bill and Save what we can to buy the things that get destroyed when you fail us, so instead of charging me extra for something I'm not at all satisfied with, try looking out for the consumer, we are people also.

If you had insurance to help with damaged items related to power surges and outages you would make a substantial profit, many of us would pay the extra twenty or whatever. You undoubtedly can find the resources to get accurate estimates and come to find in correct, you would make a fortune, and please lots of people tired of fixing stuff we believe you broke by being a cheap, lazy, selfish company who really doesn't care about anyone period.

Original review: April 22, 2019

No notice, no letter... Duke shows up to change out the meter. No Notice by the technician, DID NOT ring the doorbell. Instead he proceeded to change out the meter, disconnecting my service... created a NIGHTMARE as I was working at the computer!! The contractor could NOT SPEAK ENGLISH --- Called customer service, NOTHING. Just excuses!! Another demonstration that the company does not care about their customers!! What if I had medical conditions that rely on electrical connections.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I called to set up service at our new home and everything was fine at first. And then I was transferred to somewhere in India to speak to someone whose entire job was to sell me DirecTV and AT&T among many other things. They wanted to send me emails for coupons and would not let me off the phone. They went on and on reading from a script until I finally asked to speak to someone else. He asked me why I needed to speak to someone else and put me on hold for several minutes.

I was at least able to understand this new person and told him that ALL I wanted was to get electricity hooked up and I just wanted to make sure that was all scheduled to happen. Then he tried to have me sign up for emails for coupons, etc. It was torture!! If there was another company that I could have used I would have. Why does a company that makes that much money need to harass people after they’ve already signed up for their services?!?! Awful way to treat new customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of the Carolinas?

Original review: April 5, 2019

A Duke Power technician arrived at my home on two different occasions with a clipboard asking me if I wanted the smart meter. I told him "NO" on both occasions and discovered later that he unlocked my back fence (or climbed over the fence) and installed the smart meter right next to my bedroom! I have a thyroid condition and radiation exposure is a great concern to me. I've noticed changes in my health since the installation of the smart meter and my biggest annoyance is that I specifically told them that I did not want the smart meter installed and they did it anyway.

They never had a conversation with me about the smart meter, and I never received any mail correspondence to inform me of the installation. I feel that Duke Energy doesn't respect its customers, and they actually trespassed when they crossed my gate without my permission when there was no emergency to warrant that type of behavior. I am a disabled veteran on a fixed income and was told by the company to pay a ridiculously high fee as well as a monthly fee to "OPT OUT" of something that I never agreed to have installed.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I've been with Duke Progress for years and recently they wanted to change my meter. I've read about these meters giving health issues. They said if I opt out for new meter they would charge 150$ plus 11 dollars a month. This doesn't even seem legal. You shouldn't be able to make a customer do something they dont want to. This is not a communist country yet this company runs like one. If you have any other options other than Duke Progress please take it. I hope Asheville gets more energy options as well so we dont have to deal with this Duke Progress monopoly. We need other options.

Original review: March 25, 2019

After a power outage in December and a tech leaving our old meter upside down in heavy rain and the meter filling up with water, surprise surprise, it stopped working properly. Prior charges for a month were $253. January - A different tech came to the house to read the faulty meter and offered to have it replaced with a new meter that would automatically read without a service tech having to come and take a reading. In January we got our first bill on the new meter at a whopping $1,578.18!!! The weather was normal to mild for December in Charlotte, and as a bill saving technique, we had stopped using our central heat to save money by using room heaters as we moved about the house. All should add up to a lower bill. NOT!

At this same time we came to the end of our Equal Payment Plan for the year and had a credit of $531.01, so we're expecting a "free" month or two of billing based on our having paid too much over the prior year. After calls on 1/1, 2/6 and 2/13 we escalated the call to a supervisor. She let us know it happens and that the final meter reading on the old malfunctioning meter was likely incorrect. She reviewed our history and said we should expect an adjustment but did not know the time frame. She referred the claim to the Complex Billing department and said that we should not expect fast action as it takes a very long time for them to determine an estimate of what we should receive as credit. She said to continue making the EPP payments monthly and if we received a disconnect notice to call them. WHAT THE HECK???

So we wait and wait and wait. 3/25 call and have to go through the whole story with a CSR, then again with a Supervisor (Amy). The status was that it was being investigated by "Bill Sort". And we would have to wait for their determination. "Give it another month." I asked her if she was serious and politely stated that was unacceptable and need to escalate this to her manager. The manager was insulated and not accessible, so I left my number for her to call me.

Amy offered to put the account on watch and she and her manager would review it morning and afternoon daily. I asked for her extension - does not have a direct line. Gave her my cell # and asked for weekly calls to provide updates Friday, and if she was not available Friday to call Thursday. Also asked to have the Manager call me at her earliest convenience to escalate the call internally for action.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Greedy, unethical and dishonest. Reads meters inaccurately. Customer service is awful. Overcharged me and was not apologetic. I was angry and depressed and felt worse after talking to them. They will all be in hell on judgment day.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Can't quote simple policy over the phone. Asked for supervisor to quote their company policy on return of security deposit only to be told repeatedly to check their website. Simple question. Sad when you can't get the same level of customer I myself am required to give in my position.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I am a senior citizen with only social security income. They turned off service for $60. After I sent note to BBB and paid they finally turned it back on and charging me a reconnect fee. This is what happens when you are elderly - you get kicked around and because I’m in a senior citizen building in Raleigh our only choice is Duke. After they took over Progress Energy it has been like a never ending horror story for us.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I do not appreciate it when I call Duke Energy to transfer service and spend time answering all of their questions just to be transferred to “3rd party verification” to do much of it again. Really? To have to listen to their sales pitch about cable discounts, security and home enhancements is a waste of my time when I tell them I don’t want to listen to any of it and they continue to do so anyway. Shame on you! You need to eliminate that ridiculous second step!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I'm considering moving to a different area or state just so I won't have to be a Duke Energy progress customer. I once liked this company but somewhere along the lines they became very unethical and greedy. I had the highest bill I have EVER had of 450 bucks and I called to get an extension to my pay date. My rent is 600 so of course I'm not used to paying a electric bill almost as high as my rent. They told me they could not extend to the date I was requesting. Yesterday while I was at work something told me to log on to my Duke Energy account and I saw that my electricity was disconnected. I was at a loss for words. They turned my power off 2 days before the date I told them I could pay. Wow. Not only is this company unethical they are very money hungry.

Electricity is very high and it's unfair. I live alone! Why is my bill 400-something dollars? I bet the CEO does not have this problem and don't know what it's like to be financially abused by utility companies. Then you turn my power off 2 days before the day I said I could pay? I could not believe it. Now I have to pay all these fees and could possibly be billed another deposit. This is mind blowing how this world is so greedy and unkind. People go through things and you have all these organizations and programs that you have to go through hell and high water to contact and you still don't receive assistance!

On their website they even have share the warmth listed under the assistance tab but when you click on it or try to call they don't mention any of those things and give you numbers to social services. I just don't understand. I absolutely hate this company. It's 33 degrees outside and you disconnect my power 2 days before my pay date and now my whole check is going to go to this electric bill and fees and a new deposit. Very shocked and disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I moved from an apartment complex 3 months ago that was being served by Duke Energy. Near my move out date, I called to set up service at my new address, as well as schedule cancellation from my previous address. Duke successfully turned on service at my new address, however they failed to cancel the old address, resulting in an auto draft for services at an address I no longer lived.

I spent HOURS on the phone with incompetent customer support who refused to reimburse me for the charges on an account they failed to cancel. My old apartment complex even confirmed to the Duke Energy representatives that they should be the party charged for the utilities at this address now, and that they would gladly pay the Duke bills. Duke continued to refuse to help.

Currently, I am STILL on the phone with Duke Customer Support after being transferred to multiple parties and speaking with multiple supervisors. The lack of customer service is absolutely pathetic. They are spending HOURS attempting to find a recording of my call with their customer support agent to attempt to prove/disprove that I requested a service cancellation. When, instead, they could reimburse me for the charges, and charge the correct party, who will GLADLY pay the amount owed.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

We have accounts with Duke Energy for 12 years at our current home. Had a second account on garage behind our house. We had service to the garage disconnected 1 1/2 yr ago and recently decided to have power restored out there. Called Duke E. Had to pay $150 deposit. Ok no problem. Got a call next day saying restored but we got home to find no power. After calling to see what's up seems they disconnected power to our HOUSE then reconnected with different account number. What in the world! Deactivated our current account and will not give our deposit back when we've brought this mistake to their attention. They act like robots. They understand but nothing they can do about it. Still no power in garage. Can't afford to hand the bloodsuckers another $150. Can we give 1/10 of a star?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

We Got 8 inches of snow 2 days ago and been without power for 2 days. Duke Energy has been notified many times by many people in this neighborhood and the Duke Energy dont have a clue when it might be fixed. The EMERGENCY number you call to report outages to is simply people on a computer looking at a map that shows outages. Dukes emergency contact number is people that in fact have no contact with actual repair techs at all. It's 30 degrees In my house right now and I have called begging them to help and they dont care and claim they have no way to even help and cant even see if a crew is coming or when we might possibly get help.

This is the most incompetent company I've ever dealt with and I will be installing a large generator system that's going to cost over 8k dollars because Duke Energy that we all pay 300 to 600 dollars every month for power is too incompetent to keep the power on. And apparently they only work in daylight hours now and only then if its warm enough according to their EMERGENCY contact number that puts yo through to people that know nothing except what a computer screen says. And the sad part is I'm in the middle of a city and barely out of town limits which put me out of reach of a competent city power provider.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

The people answering the phones at this place are idiots. I’m not sure where they get these people from. Each time I am forced to call here I want to pull my hair out after the call is disconnected and I still don’t have a resolution. Not sure what type of business Duke Energy Progress is running, the crash dummies answer phone by saying, "Hello this is _______," which totally throws you off because there is no introduction like “thank you for calling Duke Energy, this is _______, how may I help you”. After one person went over my bill with me by reading line by line the amount I owed, I tell her, “I need help with my online account login.” She says to me, “There is a $1.50 convenience fee when you pay your bill.” I said, “You just confirmed I am on auto pay,” she says, “Were all your questions answered?”

"No, I am having trouble with my online account..." She proceeds to ask if I’m renting or do I own. I repeat, "I’m having trouble with my online account." All of a sudden the phone rings and someone else comes on and says, “Would you like to review your account today?” Ummmmm, “No I don’t!” She says, “How can I help you.” I explain once again, she asks would I like to make a payment (although my bill is up to date). WHERE DO THESE IDIOTS COME FROM? Talk about frustrating and to top it off my issue is still not resolved. Clearly NC has hired cheap labor. Insane, scary, and sad all at the same time.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I’ve always had issues with this company, but mother beats this screw up! The first ** up: they convinced me that someone stole my identity... when they just ** up my account and the previous guy that lived at the house I’m at now. 2nd: not once told me that the guarantor form didn’t get approved... The lady previous (that told me everything is good) said it was submitted. Then come to find out today... it wasn’t. And it pisses me off that I praised this chick for her help, when she did NOTHING!

3rd: apparently they NEVER ACTIVATED my account and somehow put it in my husband's name... Not once did he call to start up service because, again, this idiot told me everything was good to go and provided me with a new account number that apparently was never even active! It baffles me how they never own up to their mistakes! THEY HAD ME ACCUSE A GENTLEMAN OF THEFT AND I WENT SEARCHING FOR HIM. I found his new house and confronted him... He was just as confused and because of DUKE, he lost his electricity and had to fight them like I did... Still am... I HATE that I have to have them as my electric company and because of that - they think they are able to do ANYTHING they want to you and your account because they can! This company is beyond disrespectful and don’t care to help you.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Duke Energy is by far the worst utility company I have had the displeasure of interacting with. Since roughly 6 months ago the power goes out every time it does little more than drizzle and most of these outages last 4 to 6 hours. It is understandable for this to happen with bad storms or hurricanes but it goes out with just light rain. When you call for updates you have to deal with a useless automated system that doesn't give you an estimate of when the power will be restored until it has gone back on. The online system is barely functional on any device and provides even less information.

The biggest issue with Duke Energy is their customer service. Every time you call them, even when there isn't an outage, all you get is a busy signal. The single time I did interact with them over a missing payment they had lost, the person on the other line was extraordinarily rude and insisted that I did not pay my bill. When he finally discovered that it was an error on their end he curtly asked if there was anything else I needed and did not even apologize. It is astonishing that the city has allowed this monopoly to operate in this manner for so long.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

It is understandable that after Hurricane Florence homes would be without power for sometime, however, my home was without power for a week. When we reached out to Duke Power we were told three different things by three different employees; 1. Being that a transformer had blown and they were not sure which one and that they hadn't been able to find it. 2. That they had not even had a chance to assess the issue. 3. That they assessed the issue but were unable to restore power due to weather conditions (it was sunny and bright and 4 days after the hurricane hit). When we first called to make them aware of the power outage in our area they acted completely shocked even though online it stated 44 people had reported outages from our neighborhood. We were promised before the hurricane hit that employees from out of state were sent to make sure no ones power would be out more than a few days.

We saw multiple other power companies on the roads making repairs and replacing various items and when we conversed with Duke asking why other companies were able to restore the power their answer was well our employees don't feel safe... It was completely outrageous. This has got to be the absolute worst power company on the planet. And here we are with hurricane Michael and yet again our power is out. The wind is only 30 miles an hour with some rain. How is our power out yet again!? When I called their customer service line I got the run around how they weren't sure when the power would be restored, that a lot of people were affected in our area, that the storm is terrible. The storm is not terrible, at all. If I had a choice on who my power company was you bet your ** I would NEVER use this crap company ever again. COMPLETE NIGHTMARE!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

After initiating service at my new residence and paying the first bill, I set up auto-pay at the company's invitation. When my next bill reflected an unpaid balance, I called customer service and was told the process sometimes took a month and the current and past due amounts would be paid automatically when the current bill became due. A week before the due date, however, I received a "FINAL NOTICE" threatening to cut off service if the past due amount were not paid three days before the due date for the current bill. My only safe alternative at that point was to pay the past due amount immediately and incur the $1.50 "Convenience Fee" for same-day service. Had I been told the past due amount had to be paid before the due date for current service, I would have done so. Instead I was treated like a dead-beat by the company because of the incompetence of its own billing and customer service personnel.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We were told that we had to put in a digital meter to replace our analog one. The contractor of Duke Energy told us that we could not opt out and that a deputy was having to escort them to come and change meters if people refused. (Lie). So, we relented and had a digital meter installed August 28th, 2018. We just received our new bill and it was over a hundred dollars more since last month, plus our ac unit went out. That may be a coincidence but it just seems suspicious. Now they tell us that they will come back out and reinstall the analog but it will cost us $175.00 plus $11.00 dollars a month. After over an hour on the phone and multiple agents, they are going to review our bill as well. Be wary of them. They have unscrupulous business practices, and that is being nice. If there is a class action lawsuit, I would be willing to join!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

What more does someone have to do when giving correct account information in changing email accounts and phone number? I think giving your Duke account number and your SS number should account for you not being a robot.

Original review: July 31, 2018

My power bills averaged about $150.00 last summer. Lo and behold they put in a new meter at the end of the summer and now my bills have skyrocketed! My bill this month is $418.00. They are totally screwing me and overbilling me. I have had my air conditioning checked and my hot water heater and both are fine. I even started cutting off my bedroom window unit every day and my bill went up $70 from last month. WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO STOP THESE PEOPLE??? There is nothing I can do because they are the only power company we can use. I am a single mom and I am going broke trying to pay my power bill. They are cheating every one of their customers and this has to stop. SOMEBODY HELP!

Original review: June 27, 2018

It has been over a year, since Duke Energy in Cashiers were suppose to come and finish the job... Diane, from Duke Energy at that time was the supervisor. She came by. Gave the ok for Duke Energy to come and do the underground connection. We did our part. Spent a lot of money and all I get from Duke Energy customer service is: "In two days someone will call you", two days=365 days... Diane, has retired and all I get from DUKE IS ZERO RESPONSE. Enough of this... Duke get on with your work.

It has been over a year, since Duke energy in Cashiers were suppose to come and finish the job...Diane, from Duke Energy at that time was the supervisor she came by gave the ok for Duke energy to come and do the underground connection. We did our part spent a lot of money and all i get from Duke energy customer service is: in two days someone will call you, two days=365 days..........Diane, has retired and all i get from DUKE IS ZERO RESPONDS.. Enough of this... Duke get on with your work.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Ever since the new meters were installed our bills have been OUTRAGEOUS! $506, $415, $308 to $220 & our bill has always been $90 - $150 (at the most). The highest ($415 & $308) were when we weren't even using the A/C yet. ($506 was the snow weather.) I have a feeling they are trying to recoup some of the money from the coal ash spill, we just went and checked our meter and they have lied on our Bill about how much we used as well! Scam company! Just waiting for some sort of class action lawsuit to pop up.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2015

I've had a ton of issues with them too. Once I started going through the BBB, things got better. Try it.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2014

In December 2013 I made a request to have my metering plan changed to a "Time of Use" program. On December 27 the old meter (one that could be read from the street) was replaced with a new one. On January 10 a technician came out and programmed the meter. Our billing period runs from approximately the 14th of the month. When we received our Dec/Jan bill it was for 2800/kwh - a full 25% more than ever before. The itemization shown on the on-line detail page showed we used 550 kwh during peak and 1,550 kwh during off peak hours. After determining that the difference between the total amount billed and the amount show on our detail sheet was the usage recorded on our old meter, we are left with the following "coincidences":

1.The amount of usage we're billed for that exceeds the previous month and the previous year over year usage is almost exactly equal to the amount recorded on our old meter for the 11 days from Dec 14-Dec 27 until our new meter was installed. 2. The 2,100kwh recorded for the period from Dec 27-Jan 16 (on the new meter) is almost exactly the amount we used for the previous month and the previous year for the same period. 3. And if you multiply the metered usage of our old meter, 700kwh, for 11 days x 3 (for 33 days) it equals 2,100kwh.

It's obvious that the new meter is either recording 40% more kwh or the meter reading was changed when the tech came out to program it; adding the 700kwh for the first part of the billing period from the old meter to the new meter's read. Having planned for the TOU metering the month before we changed our habits and have been doing all of our laundry, dish washing, car charging and most of our heating during "off peak" hours leaving only basic lighting, refrigerator and water pumping for anytime use. The % breakdown of off peak hours on hour plan is 82% off peak and the rest during peak or "shoulder" hours. But the 550kwh vs 1550 kwh is a 25%/75% split.

Everything I see points to either the new meter having been adjusted or somebody estimating our usage. A representative has agreed to have the meter checked but insisted that it was correct.

Original review: April 16, 2013

I am starting to feel that I might have better luck getting customer service from Progress Energy if I went outside and yelled "tech support" at the sky! For the past three years I have been trying to get the power unused, overgrown, abandoned power lines on my property turned off and the lines removed before they start a fire or someone gets killed driving farm equipment under them. I keep calling and I still have vine grown, tree touching sagging power (live) lines. I've had customer service mock me (yes, it's a hog house. Is that funny?), tell me the job was already done when it was not, and just simply blow me off by continually telling me they do not know when someone will do it, why they have not done it or what the hold up is.

I've been calling since 2010. Three years. The lines are still live and still there. No one can tell me anything, except that there is yet another work order. But no one knows who fills these orders or when. It's very confusing. Does it take three years to get your power turned on? Why should it take three years to get it turned off?

Original review: March 3, 2013

I'm a father of four, and they cut my power for a system mistake. I need to say that I used the online payment for my power bill. So several months ago, I posted my payment online as usual. But after a month, I received a notice that they haven't received the payment, so I redid it again plus the previous month. But what happened? They sent me a letter saying that they needed a payment; otherwise, they would cut my power. I knew that it was a problem on their system so I paid a one-time payment. Anyway, the last couple of months, I had the same problem, but this time I only received a phone call, saying that I needed to pay at least half of the amount owed. So I posted my payment as usual, but last week when I was at work, my prego wife called me saying that there was no power in the house. So I knew that they cut it.

I called Progress Energy asking why they did that and etc. They said that they hadn't received any payment. I tried to explain but they were so rude. I was very mad because my wife is pregnant and it was very cold that day. So I tried to explain but they didn't care. I've been a customer for 8 years. I would be only because I have no choice. It's very frustrating!

Duke Energy of the Carolinas Company Information