2. Homeowners

South Carolina

3.8/5 (120 ratings)

About Duke Energy of the Carolinas

Duke Energy of the Carolinas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of the Carolinas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of the Carolinas?

Original review: April 19, 2021

I waited on hold for 2 hours for a representative to pick up and put me on hold for another hour.... Transfer and holds. They do not answer, they can't find the information and transfer you from department to department.

Original review: April 17, 2021

They do not send out bills every month, their website to pay online does not work either. You call and they say they are behind on billing. How does a company this size get behind on billing not one but two months going into third month. How does a company claiming to be a Fortune 500 company lets this happen. This company is just like the Texas power company back in February, but they are here in North Carolina.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Duke came out, marked our yard and said they would be replacing a power line running through our yard... WEEKS ago. Supposedly was supposed to be finished in late March. Today, 4-15-21 it has not even been started. Several calls and a written complaint on their duke-energy.com site and NO courtesy call back to update me as to when this project is to be done. I have work in my yard I want to do but waiting for Duke to get their job done instead of my work being dug up after doing it. Just spent 1 hr 53 minutes dealing with customer service attempting to get someone to react to my request. Shocked, amazed, disappointed, irritated...about their lack of customer service. Looking at online reviews back many years, so many complaints that I do not understand how the BBB can give them a A+ rating and Angie's List gives a 5 star rating. I give them a zero rating but had to give a one.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

We need at least one more power company!!! Duke is ripping Mount Airy NC off. It's just me and my wife and just watch one TV and maybe one light and a outdoor light. So sad it cost us $168 each month and I am disabled and my wife is disabled also. It is so hard to make it. They're the highest times too.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

My experience so far with Duke Energy has not been great. My wife has always had the electricity in her name and we never had an issue. They even sent her the deposit back once we moved from our residence years ago. Well this year we moved into a new home and decided to put the electricity in my name. I don't have much credit but I was told my deposit would be $179. Well once we got the second bill, there was another charge of $179 added which made our bill $440!

I called and spoke to two agents who couldn't explain to me why I was being charged $358 for the security deposit. Their only response was that the bill was correct and they split my deposit. When I applied I was never told the deposit will be $358! I decided to pay to avoid the late fees. I just wanted to share my experience with anyone who will be signing up with Duke Energy. It is not okay to be charged that much and it seems a bit unethical to charge that much and not be given an explanation for the high deposit.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I moved to a nice community in North Carolina- Pender co. My community has about 40 homes. It's an area where EVERYTHING IS ELECTRIC. Well, about 3-4 weeks ago, Duke Energy knocked and said they are replacing the meter with a new digital one (entire community was replaced).... No big deal? WRONG. Well the first bill came and a HUGE $90 increase in my normal bill. In fact we met as a community and 23 homes had $60-100 increases to their billing!!!! Nothing different than any other month or history.

Getting hold of customer service IS A NIGHTMARE, when I do get someone (after hold times of an hour) I get transferred and conveniently hung up on. A neighbor said she was told there was a 9.9% increase in service and it's the weather. COPOUT. With a little a research, the same issues of higher bills AFTER new meters has happen all over the state since 2019... In fact ABC 13 did an investigative report. Something is rotten at DUKE ENERGY. They have a monopoly on utilities and are gouging customers. What can be done???

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

So because I was sick and am not able to make the full payment at this time for my past due balance or my full monthly balance I am unable to receive the help needed to keep my lights on during a global pandemic! I simply asked to have an extra arrangement setup this one time but because they are setup on an automatic system I’m going to be without power for 2 days because the system doesn’t allow them to give the extra hand!! Yes I know there are other agencies out there that can help but that requires having a vehicle to travel to them to fill out paperwork which I don’t have. Be sure you do exactly what Duke tells you because you won’t get any extra help!! Can’t wait to move to get away from them.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Renter scheduled turn off on Monday. I called the Friday before to turn on but they showed no turn on till Wednesday 5 days later. So they came out on Monday, turned it off but can't turn on till Wednesday. Ludicrous. Why they can't turn power on and off on the same day even when schedule days in advanced makes no sense and is just a waste of everybody's time.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Been on the phone with this company Friday 11/20/2020 from 10:10 am- 1:45 pm trying to get assistance to get my electric turned back on. Literally I called and waited sometimes 20-30 min, then get call disconnected to have to call again, wait again, be transferred to multiple people, to be told they couldn’t find my acct, or it was pending (since Oct 12th). But I have had service last 5 weeks, not to mention 8 years at previous address, 16 years at address before that or it was turned off accidentally??? Mind you gas co and water co had no problem transferring service. Sucks when you only have one choice in a provider. They have no incentive to do well????

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I been Duke Energy customer for over 15 years because I do not have a choice. With monopoly corporations we don't have a choice or ability to switch to different power company. Horrible company it's take days for them to restore power but in overhand membership company Brunswick Electric have the power back in portion of the time its take Duke do the same. Over a years I see same things cross the street customers of Brunswick Electric enjoyed the power and we can seat without power for days. It's clear the different approach of two different companies. What is the difference between corporations and membership companies. I wish we have freedom of choice.

Duke Energy of the Carolinas Company Information