2. Homeowners

South Carolina

3.8/5 (192 ratings)

About Duke Energy of the Carolinas

Duke Energy of the Carolinas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of the Carolinas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of the Carolinas?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Duke Energy is redesigning their website. This is critical! Why? Because Duke Energy is forcing all to use this site to make payment unless you authorize this outfit to have direct access to your banking account. For YEARS I used ebill. My bank sent me notice. I went online, indicated to pay ebill. Always EARLY. Then DUKE ENERGY STOPPED EBILLS. Since ebills were stopped, they have messed up my payment twice and then started harassment via email on not having my payment yet.

The latest incident occurred during this ongoing website redo. I went online. Made payment. Days later when payment had not hit my bank, I checked website. It showed zero balance. Checked again. Zero balance. Then BAM! Email that my payment was returned and I was about to be late. Only problem here is the fact that Duke Energy's website NEVER submitted data to my bank for payment as my bank assures me they never denied payment. My bank account has NEVER been low enough to cause a denial of payment. Oh, and the latest harassing email I got was well after payment cleared my account.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I have had nothing but problems with Duke Energy since around February 2021. First, I was charged a $46 monthly fee, for around four months, for a payment arrangement that I never had or requested. Then I was sent a bill that stated I didn't owe any money until November 2022. When I went on their website, because I knew that had to be a mistake, I was given the message to pay a penny immediately or face disconnection. I took a picture of this message with my iPhone if anyone from Duke Energy would like to see it. So, I called them and was told I actually owed around $250 even though I didn't have any sort of bill backing this up.

I called back to speak to another representative and was told I needed to pay $177 immediately or else! I did pay that but for some reason, Duke has no record of it. I have proof on the debit card that I used when I made the payment but that doesn't matter to them. Now my bill has more than doubled every month even though I've had my HVAC cleaned, and own all energy-efficient appliances. I'm also home a lot less now than I was last year when my bills were half of what they are now. I feel like they're just throwing numbers at me and are not actually checking my usage.

I've spoken to more customer service specialists than I can remember and yet none of them can figure out the problem or explain to me why all of a sudden I owe them so much more every month. Because of the constant changes of what I owe on their website I now get paper bills in the mail that never match what they want me to actually pay. I'm fed up with this service and wish there was an alternative for me but they're the only game in town so I'm stuck.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Duke Energy Customer Service rep states they have always charged basic fee $14 for accounting, handling our billing. But with NEW software they have now, it breaks out showing fee separate. Customers never knew they were being charged this fee. Duke Energy hid the fee in our usage or taxes & customer rep can't tell me where $14 was hidden. During this critical time with COVID they do an rate increase as well. This is absurd and sad Duke Energy is doing this to the American people they service. You have the president giving out stimulus checks to help manage their bills and all we doing is paying a high electric bill.

Original review: April 19, 2021

I waited on hold for 2 hours for a representative to pick up and put me on hold for another hour.... Transfer and holds. They do not answer, they can't find the information and transfer you from department to department.

Original review: April 17, 2021

They do not send out bills every month, their website to pay online does not work either. You call and they say they are behind on billing. How does a company this size get behind on billing not one but two months going into third month. How does a company claiming to be a Fortune 500 company lets this happen. This company is just like the Texas power company back in February, but they are here in North Carolina.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Duke came out, marked our yard and said they would be replacing a power line running through our yard... WEEKS ago. Supposedly was supposed to be finished in late March. Today, 4-15-21 it has not even been started. Several calls and a written complaint on their duke-energy.com site and NO courtesy call back to update me as to when this project is to be done. I have work in my yard I want to do but waiting for Duke to get their job done instead of my work being dug up after doing it. Just spent 1 hr 53 minutes dealing with customer service attempting to get someone to react to my request. Shocked, amazed, disappointed, irritated...about their lack of customer service. Looking at online reviews back many years, so many complaints that I do not understand how the BBB can give them a A+ rating and Angie's List gives a 5 star rating. I give them a zero rating but had to give a one.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

We need at least one more power company!!! Duke is ripping Mount Airy NC off. It's just me and my wife and just watch one TV and maybe one light and a outdoor light. So sad it cost us $168 each month and I am disabled and my wife is disabled also. It is so hard to make it. They're the highest times too.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

My experience so far with Duke Energy has not been great. My wife has always had the electricity in her name and we never had an issue. They even sent her the deposit back once we moved from our residence years ago. Well this year we moved into a new home and decided to put the electricity in my name. I don't have much credit but I was told my deposit would be $179. Well once we got the second bill, there was another charge of $179 added which made our bill $440!

I called and spoke to two agents who couldn't explain to me why I was being charged $358 for the security deposit. Their only response was that the bill was correct and they split my deposit. When I applied I was never told the deposit will be $358! I decided to pay to avoid the late fees. I just wanted to share my experience with anyone who will be signing up with Duke Energy. It is not okay to be charged that much and it seems a bit unethical to charge that much and not be given an explanation for the high deposit.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I moved to a nice community in North Carolina- Pender co. My community has about 40 homes. It's an area where EVERYTHING IS ELECTRIC. Well, about 3-4 weeks ago, Duke Energy knocked and said they are replacing the meter with a new digital one (entire community was replaced).... No big deal? WRONG. Well the first bill came and a HUGE $90 increase in my normal bill. In fact we met as a community and 23 homes had $60-100 increases to their billing!!!! Nothing different than any other month or history.

Getting hold of customer service IS A NIGHTMARE, when I do get someone (after hold times of an hour) I get transferred and conveniently hung up on. A neighbor said she was told there was a 9.9% increase in service and it's the weather. COPOUT. With a little a research, the same issues of higher bills AFTER new meters has happen all over the state since 2019... In fact ABC 13 did an investigative report. Something is rotten at DUKE ENERGY. They have a monopoly on utilities and are gouging customers. What can be done???

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

So because I was sick and am not able to make the full payment at this time for my past due balance or my full monthly balance I am unable to receive the help needed to keep my lights on during a global pandemic! I simply asked to have an extra arrangement setup this one time but because they are setup on an automatic system I’m going to be without power for 2 days because the system doesn’t allow them to give the extra hand!! Yes I know there are other agencies out there that can help but that requires having a vehicle to travel to them to fill out paperwork which I don’t have. Be sure you do exactly what Duke tells you because you won’t get any extra help!! Can’t wait to move to get away from them.

Duke Energy of the Carolinas Company Information