1.06/5

Need a utility company?

South Carolina

Need a utility company?

76 Duke Energy of the Carolinas Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 12, 2019

I called to set up service at our new home and everything was fine at first. And then I was transferred to somewhere in India to speak to someone whose entire job was to sell me DirecTV and AT&T among many other things. They wanted to send me emails for coupons and would not let me off the phone. They went on and on reading from a script until I finally asked to speak to someone else. He asked me why I needed to speak to someone else and put me on hold for several minutes.

I was at least able to understand this new person and told him that ALL I wanted was to get electricity hooked up and I just wanted to make sure that was all scheduled to happen. Then he tried to have me sign up for emails for coupons, etc. It was torture!! If there was another company that I could have used I would have. Why does a company that makes that much money need to harass people after they’ve already signed up for their services?!?! Awful way to treat new customers.

Original review: April 5, 2019

A Duke Power technician arrived at my home on two different occasions with a clipboard asking me if I wanted the smart meter. I told him "NO" on both occasions and discovered later that he unlocked my back fence (or climbed over the fence) and installed the smart meter right next to my bedroom! I have a thyroid condition and radiation exposure is a great concern to me. I've noticed changes in my health since the installation of the smart meter and my biggest annoyance is that I specifically told them that I did not want the smart meter installed and they did it anyway.

They never had a conversation with me about the smart meter, and I never received any mail correspondence to inform me of the installation. I feel that Duke Energy doesn't respect its customers, and they actually trespassed when they crossed my gate without my permission when there was no emergency to warrant that type of behavior. I am a disabled veteran on a fixed income and was told by the company to pay a ridiculously high fee as well as a monthly fee to "OPT OUT" of something that I never agreed to have installed.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I've been with Duke Progress for years and recently they wanted to change my meter. I've read about these meters giving health issues. They said if I opt out for new meter they would charge 150$ plus 11 dollars a month. This doesn't even seem legal. You shouldn't be able to make a customer do something they dont want to. This is not a communist country yet this company runs like one. If you have any other options other than Duke Progress please take it. I hope Asheville gets more energy options as well so we dont have to deal with this Duke Progress monopoly. We need other options.

Original review: March 25, 2019

After a power outage in December and a tech leaving our old meter upside down in heavy rain and the meter filling up with water, surprise surprise, it stopped working properly. Prior charges for a month were $253. January - A different tech came to the house to read the faulty meter and offered to have it replaced with a new meter that would automatically read without a service tech having to come and take a reading. In January we got our first bill on the new meter at a whopping $1,578.18!!! The weather was normal to mild for December in Charlotte, and as a bill saving technique, we had stopped using our central heat to save money by using room heaters as we moved about the house. All should add up to a lower bill. NOT!

At this same time we came to the end of our Equal Payment Plan for the year and had a credit of $531.01, so we're expecting a "free" month or two of billing based on our having paid too much over the prior year. After calls on 1/1, 2/6 and 2/13 we escalated the call to a supervisor. She let us know it happens and that the final meter reading on the old malfunctioning meter was likely incorrect. She reviewed our history and said we should expect an adjustment but did not know the time frame. She referred the claim to the Complex Billing department and said that we should not expect fast action as it takes a very long time for them to determine an estimate of what we should receive as credit. She said to continue making the EPP payments monthly and if we received a disconnect notice to call them. WHAT THE HECK???

So we wait and wait and wait. 3/25 call and have to go through the whole story with a CSR, then again with a Supervisor (Amy). The status was that it was being investigated by "Bill Sort". And we would have to wait for their determination. "Give it another month." I asked her if she was serious and politely stated that was unacceptable and need to escalate this to her manager. The manager was insulated and not accessible, so I left my number for her to call me.

Amy offered to put the account on watch and she and her manager would review it morning and afternoon daily. I asked for her extension - does not have a direct line. Gave her my cell # and asked for weekly calls to provide updates Friday, and if she was not available Friday to call Thursday. Also asked to have the Manager call me at her earliest convenience to escalate the call internally for action.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Greedy, unethical and dishonest. Reads meters inaccurately. Customer service is awful. Overcharged me and was not apologetic. I was angry and depressed and felt worse after talking to them. They will all be in hell on judgment day.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of the Carolinas?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Can't quote simple policy over the phone. Asked for supervisor to quote their company policy on return of security deposit only to be told repeatedly to check their website. Simple question. Sad when you can't get the same level of customer I myself am required to give in my position.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I am a senior citizen with only social security income. They turned off service for $60. After I sent note to BBB and paid they finally turned it back on and charging me a reconnect fee. This is what happens when you are elderly - you get kicked around and because I’m in a senior citizen building in Raleigh our only choice is Duke. After they took over Progress Energy it has been like a never ending horror story for us.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I do not appreciate it when I call Duke Energy to transfer service and spend time answering all of their questions just to be transferred to “3rd party verification” to do much of it again. Really? To have to listen to their sales pitch about cable discounts, security and home enhancements is a waste of my time when I tell them I don’t want to listen to any of it and they continue to do so anyway. Shame on you! You need to eliminate that ridiculous second step!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I'm considering moving to a different area or state just so I won't have to be a Duke Energy progress customer. I once liked this company but somewhere along the lines they became very unethical and greedy. I had the highest bill I have EVER had of 450 bucks and I called to get an extension to my pay date. My rent is 600 so of course I'm not used to paying a electric bill almost as high as my rent. They told me they could not extend to the date I was requesting. Yesterday while I was at work something told me to log on to my Duke Energy account and I saw that my electricity was disconnected. I was at a loss for words. They turned my power off 2 days before the date I told them I could pay. Wow. Not only is this company unethical they are very money hungry.

Electricity is very high and it's unfair. I live alone! Why is my bill 400-something dollars? I bet the CEO does not have this problem and don't know what it's like to be financially abused by utility companies. Then you turn my power off 2 days before the day I said I could pay? I could not believe it. Now I have to pay all these fees and could possibly be billed another deposit. This is mind blowing how this world is so greedy and unkind. People go through things and you have all these organizations and programs that you have to go through hell and high water to contact and you still don't receive assistance!

On their website they even have share the warmth listed under the assistance tab but when you click on it or try to call they don't mention any of those things and give you numbers to social services. I just don't understand. I absolutely hate this company. It's 33 degrees outside and you disconnect my power 2 days before my pay date and now my whole check is going to go to this electric bill and fees and a new deposit. Very shocked and disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I moved from an apartment complex 3 months ago that was being served by Duke Energy. Near my move out date, I called to set up service at my new address, as well as schedule cancellation from my previous address. Duke successfully turned on service at my new address, however they failed to cancel the old address, resulting in an auto draft for services at an address I no longer lived.

I spent HOURS on the phone with incompetent customer support who refused to reimburse me for the charges on an account they failed to cancel. My old apartment complex even confirmed to the Duke Energy representatives that they should be the party charged for the utilities at this address now, and that they would gladly pay the Duke bills. Duke continued to refuse to help.

Currently, I am STILL on the phone with Duke Customer Support after being transferred to multiple parties and speaking with multiple supervisors. The lack of customer service is absolutely pathetic. They are spending HOURS attempting to find a recording of my call with their customer support agent to attempt to prove/disprove that I requested a service cancellation. When, instead, they could reimburse me for the charges, and charge the correct party, who will GLADLY pay the amount owed.

Duke Energy of the Carolinas Company Information