2. Homeowners

South Carolina

3.8/5 (151 ratings)

About Duke Energy of the Carolinas

Duke Energy of the Carolinas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of the Carolinas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of the Carolinas?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I been Duke Energy customer for over 15 years because I do not have a choice. With monopoly corporations we don't have a choice or ability to switch to different power company. Horrible company it's take days for them to restore power but in overhand membership company Brunswick Electric have the power back in portion of the time its take Duke do the same. Over a years I see same things cross the street customers of Brunswick Electric enjoyed the power and we can seat without power for days. It's clear the different approach of two different companies. What is the difference between corporations and membership companies. I wish we have freedom of choice.

Original review: April 13, 2020

Another power outage today at 6 a.m. Just got notice that power would not be restored until Wednesday night at 11:59 pm. Why not just say Thursday at midnight? The workers don't try and fix the issues. Laziness. I sat there and watched one crew near my house just stand around talking. I work from my home! 3 days to fix the power??!? This is absurd! They don't deserve 1 customer let alone millions. Fix the power outages Duke Energy and stop lacking your customers!!!! That PAY YOU!!!!

Original review: April 3, 2020

I moved to a new apartment and had to get the electricity turned on. My previous apartment provided tenants the option of paying their electric bill through the them so I didn't have service with Duke energy. I moved in June 2019 to the new apartment and I was charged $400 for a deposit essentially paying for usage before I was there. I paid the fee and enrolled in the equal pay plan. I get paid once a month on the last day of the month and always paid my bill then. On my March 2020 bill statement, my bill was $468 and I was unenrolled in the equal pay plan. I called Duke Energy and was told my bill was late although I've always paid at the end of the month. I was also told I would have to wait another year before I am eligible for the equal pay plan again. As a result, my bill will now fluctuate. During this Covid-19 pandemic this is a scum bag move to pull on customers. The monopoly this company has in this area is criminal!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

A company that is truly unprepared for any power outages. If they are your electricity provider you will CONSTANTLY experience power outages if so much as someone sneezes in your neighborhood. In one day these are the times they said power would be restored.

2/6/2020
1. 10:00 p.m.
2. 6:45 p.m.
3. 10:45 p.m.
4. 4:45 a.m.

5. No ETA

Clearly they are completely unreliable and do not care if you they quote you an accurate time or not. Family had a fridge full of food go bad because we thought power would be back on. If any other company provided electricity around here they would make a killing. Duke Energy Progress is AWFUL.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I lost my entire family except for my one son. They are charging me for my deceased brother's last bill, he lived alone, saying it's a "family matter". I am a senior citizen with one special needs disabled son, we live alone, it's Christmas time and grieving the loss my entire family, Now Duke Energy is threatening to disconnect service at MY home if I don't pay my dead brother's bill. I've spoken with MANY reps and supervisors and wasted HOURS of my time on hold with them and NO ONE CARES OR WILL HELP ME.. They have told me numerous times someone higher up would call me back,,, NEVER HAPPENS! They have stressed me and caused me more health problems. IF I COULD GIVE THEM NEGATIVE STARS I WOULD!! THEY ARE HORRIBLE!!!! And they know there is nowhere a customer can turn for help!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

As a business graduate with much business experience, this company needs many improvements. Customer service representatives tell every customer something different and bypasses answering any questions that are an issue on a customer’s account. Even further, my light bill went from $200 to $417.00 and I was told “the charges were from a previous month” when I am never late on any bill. Well, come to find out, the charges were from where I transferred power and the CSR did not even have the appropriate knowledge to decipher my bill until I made her read each charge on my account slowly. Manipulation is how Duke Energy makes their posits without any care or regards to customers throughout the process. Also, you know a company is bad and managed poorly if the marketing team cannot improve online review ratings. From experience, try to refrain from being a Duke Energy victim!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Went online to update my bill, thought that I had already scheduled a payment but was not sure. Did not see any confirmation emails in my inbox so went to pay on bill as I showed to have a balance. I realize that carrying over a balance is not the best practice, but that's not the point when you have already scheduled and the payment comes out the day after you pay the bill that their online system showed that you had not scheduled. I am mad to say the least. But what else would I expect from Duke Energy. The worst company I've ever dealt with in life.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

On hold. No one mention how annoying and uneven the hold music is. My 2 area lights are billed monthly. Have been working poorly for months and now don't seem to work at all. Of course, the customer is responsible for monitoring and reporting their function. They have worked so hard to make it a horrible experience from the time you dial. Wow, just wow. The Customer Service women were so rude, unhelpful and not listening. It was a simple request: Disconnect the area lights. I think she was purposefully misstating my information to be unhelpful but after 19 painful minutes, my Duke Energy Progress Area Lighting should be disconnected and no longer billed me after months of them not working properly or at all.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I own a Food Stand, and have to get my power from Duke. Since business has been so slow the past 3 months I always managed to get the past due amount paid the very last day before they were to cut me off. So same story this month. This month has be the worst I have had since I started my business, only today when I go online to pay my past due, they have a big red note posted to my account that I have to pay the past due plus the new bill or they are cutting my power off. Being a business they will not even work to give you a few days to come up with the money, it's pay up or else you have to shut your business down. I just wished they were more concerned about helping a small business owner stay in business, vs cutting the power off and not giving them a little extra time.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I was forced to use Duke by my apartment complex. I have to choose one star because there is nothing lower. First, the customer service from DUke is extremely rude! Weird accent. Second, I was transferred to a third-party company that is selling spams. Duke, you are supposed to tell me who they are before you transfer me! Third, Duke is selling my privacy. I start to receive 20+ spams since day 1 after I called Duke. I am located in NC. I receive spam calls from California, Minnesota, Florida, Iowa. Duke is selling my privacy all over the country. ** you Duke Energy!

Duke Energy of the Carolinas Company Information