2. Homeowners

South Carolina

3.8/5 (212 ratings)

About Duke Energy of the Carolinas

Duke Energy of the Carolinas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of the Carolinas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Duke Energy of the Carolinas?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Renter scheduled turn off on Monday. I called the Friday before to turn on but they showed no turn on till Wednesday 5 days later. So they came out on Monday, turned it off but can't turn on till Wednesday. Ludicrous. Why they can't turn power on and off on the same day even when schedule days in advanced makes no sense and is just a waste of everybody's time.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Been on the phone with this company Friday 11/20/2020 from 10:10 am- 1:45 pm trying to get assistance to get my electric turned back on. Literally I called and waited sometimes 20-30 min, then get call disconnected to have to call again, wait again, be transferred to multiple people, to be told they couldn’t find my acct, or it was pending (since Oct 12th). But I have had service last 5 weeks, not to mention 8 years at previous address, 16 years at address before that or it was turned off accidentally??? Mind you gas co and water co had no problem transferring service. Sucks when you only have one choice in a provider. They have no incentive to do well????

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I been Duke Energy customer for over 15 years because I do not have a choice. With monopoly corporations we don't have a choice or ability to switch to different power company. Horrible company it's take days for them to restore power but in overhand membership company Brunswick Electric have the power back in portion of the time its take Duke do the same. Over a years I see same things cross the street customers of Brunswick Electric enjoyed the power and we can seat without power for days. It's clear the different approach of two different companies. What is the difference between corporations and membership companies. I wish we have freedom of choice.

Original review: April 13, 2020

Another power outage today at 6 a.m. Just got notice that power would not be restored until Wednesday night at 11:59 pm. Why not just say Thursday at midnight? The workers don't try and fix the issues. Laziness. I sat there and watched one crew near my house just stand around talking. I work from my home! 3 days to fix the power??!? This is absurd! They don't deserve 1 customer let alone millions. Fix the power outages Duke Energy and stop lacking your customers!!!! That PAY YOU!!!!

Original review: April 3, 2020

I moved to a new apartment and had to get the electricity turned on. My previous apartment provided tenants the option of paying their electric bill through the them so I didn't have service with Duke energy. I moved in June 2019 to the new apartment and I was charged $400 for a deposit essentially paying for usage before I was there. I paid the fee and enrolled in the equal pay plan. I get paid once a month on the last day of the month and always paid my bill then. On my March 2020 bill statement, my bill was $468 and I was unenrolled in the equal pay plan. I called Duke Energy and was told my bill was late although I've always paid at the end of the month. I was also told I would have to wait another year before I am eligible for the equal pay plan again. As a result, my bill will now fluctuate. During this Covid-19 pandemic this is a scum bag move to pull on customers. The monopoly this company has in this area is criminal!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

A company that is truly unprepared for any power outages. If they are your electricity provider you will CONSTANTLY experience power outages if so much as someone sneezes in your neighborhood. In one day these are the times they said power would be restored.

2/6/2020
1. 10:00 p.m.
2. 6:45 p.m.
3. 10:45 p.m.
4. 4:45 a.m.

5. No ETA

Clearly they are completely unreliable and do not care if you they quote you an accurate time or not. Family had a fridge full of food go bad because we thought power would be back on. If any other company provided electricity around here they would make a killing. Duke Energy Progress is AWFUL.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I lost my entire family except for my one son. They are charging me for my deceased brother's last bill, he lived alone, saying it's a "family matter". I am a senior citizen with one special needs disabled son, we live alone, it's Christmas time and grieving the loss my entire family, Now Duke Energy is threatening to disconnect service at MY home if I don't pay my dead brother's bill. I've spoken with MANY reps and supervisors and wasted HOURS of my time on hold with them and NO ONE CARES OR WILL HELP ME.. They have told me numerous times someone higher up would call me back,,, NEVER HAPPENS! They have stressed me and caused me more health problems. IF I COULD GIVE THEM NEGATIVE STARS I WOULD!! THEY ARE HORRIBLE!!!! And they know there is nowhere a customer can turn for help!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

As a business graduate with much business experience, this company needs many improvements. Customer service representatives tell every customer something different and bypasses answering any questions that are an issue on a customer’s account. Even further, my light bill went from $200 to $417.00 and I was told “the charges were from a previous month” when I am never late on any bill. Well, come to find out, the charges were from where I transferred power and the CSR did not even have the appropriate knowledge to decipher my bill until I made her read each charge on my account slowly. Manipulation is how Duke Energy makes their posits without any care or regards to customers throughout the process. Also, you know a company is bad and managed poorly if the marketing team cannot improve online review ratings. From experience, try to refrain from being a Duke Energy victim!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Went online to update my bill, thought that I had already scheduled a payment but was not sure. Did not see any confirmation emails in my inbox so went to pay on bill as I showed to have a balance. I realize that carrying over a balance is not the best practice, but that's not the point when you have already scheduled and the payment comes out the day after you pay the bill that their online system showed that you had not scheduled. I am mad to say the least. But what else would I expect from Duke Energy. The worst company I've ever dealt with in life.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

On hold. No one mention how annoying and uneven the hold music is. My 2 area lights are billed monthly. Have been working poorly for months and now don't seem to work at all. Of course, the customer is responsible for monitoring and reporting their function. They have worked so hard to make it a horrible experience from the time you dial. Wow, just wow. The Customer Service women were so rude, unhelpful and not listening. It was a simple request: Disconnect the area lights. I think she was purposefully misstating my information to be unhelpful but after 19 painful minutes, my Duke Energy Progress Area Lighting should be disconnected and no longer billed me after months of them not working properly or at all.

Duke Energy of the Carolinas Company Information