1.26/5

Need a utility company?

New England

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

315 Petro Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I've been a customer for 20+ years. I've been a payment plan for several years now. I use about $2100 in oil every year consistently, now Petro is raising my payment plan that would give them an additional $600 annually. The increase makes no sense. Also, they are charging an outrageous $566/year for a service plan, never bothering to ask me if I want their highest cost plan. Because of this discrepancy they actually put a hold on my oil deliveries when my supply is low, risking sludge in my lines. At best this is a terrible way to treat a long time customer, but truth be told, it is a sneaky and slimy business tactic. I've called a few competitors who can't believe what Petro is trying to do. I'm sure plenty don't analyze their bills and are just paying outrageous fees for their services. I've also submitted a complaint with BBB.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I have been a customer for 20+ years. Over the years, Petro's service has gotten progressively worse but after this year's experience I am done. I had an oil delivery scheduled for early October which I called to cancel and push back by ~2 weeks. Customer service said no problem - except this message was clearly not relayed to the delivery department. Petro ended up showing up on the day I had cancelled, filled my tank all the way (I only ordered a portion since I never need a full tank), charged me $2000+ despite the original quote being ~$700, and broke my fence gate since I was not on the property to open it (original reason why I cancelled).

I called to complain about the property damage and demand to know why they went against my order and filled the full tank for a much higher gallon fee than originally discussed. The first agent apologized and said it shouldn't matter because now I don't have to fill it up for a while. When I told her that it's not Petro's decision how I spend my money and that there is a huge difference between $700 and $2000, she said there is nothing she can do. When I told her to have the delivery crew come back and remove the extra oil, I was told my tank does not allow for Petro to remove oil (very convenient for them). Of course I went up the ladder of "customer service" agents for a few days. Finally I ended up at the department manager's line who assured me I would only be charged for my original order and they would pay for the damaged property ($100).

Fast forward to a few days ago when I received my new bill. Petro "generously" dropped the total charge to $1500, are still charging for the full oil delivery, and there is no mention of my property damage. At my job, if I make a mistake, I would never dream of charging my client for it - Petro however seems to believe that their mistakes are solely my financial problem. To add one more layer to Petro's super customer service, every year they charge an annual service charge. My system has not been serviced since 2017. When I inquired about the service for this year, I was told they are unavailable until March of 2019. Of course I am still expected to pay for 2018 and 2019 but will only receive 1 service. I am starting my search for legal advice because I refuse to pay $2000 or $1500 for someone's inability to do their job.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

So I have been using Petro since I purchased my home about 3 years ago. My locked in price contract ended and the price of oil was high so I decided not to lock in and "float" with the market. Come late spring, I received two separate delivers within two weeks while the prices were high. This upset me as I did not feel like I needed the oil and that they were overcharging me. I ended up paying close to $1000 dollars (sorry I do not recall the exact price).

Since I did not have a "contract" I called to cancel my account. This is when I was put on hold numerous times and passed from rep to rep. None of which would listen to my request to close my account. Instead, the rep Chris I was speaking with continues to sell me on the fact that warm weather is here and that I won't need any oil anyway until the fall. Also, god forbid if something happens at least you have Petro's service to assist with your furnace.

After a long discussion and frustration that they simply would not listen to my request to cancel, I made a horrible decision. I agree to keep my account open. I discussed with Chris in detail that I do not want any deliveries and I want to discuss and agree on pricing before we move forward with anything. Chris assures me that is ok.

4 days ago I received 166 gallons at $4.55 a gallon. I was able to pull up 7 separate competitors that are charging between $2.55 and $3.04. I am so upset and feel like someone has stolen over $300 out of my pocket. I have spoken to a rep who is actually nice named Karen and she advised me that every single customer is on automatic delivery and they would never agree to what Chris and I agreed to.

Kelly informed me that her manager Rich has pulled the phone call and that Rich informed her I agreed to automatic delivery. I have been given Rich's phone number and have called back numerous times in the last few days and I have not received a return call. I would like to hear the recording as I remember the phone call just because of the frustration I had with them not simply terminating our agreement.

I have called Rich and left several other messages. I even called today and was informed he was out to lunch. During my call, the rep says, "Ohh wait. I think Rich is here." She puts me on hold and then comes back and says, "Oh no it was somebody else." She assured me I should receive a call in the next few minutes. I never received a call. I do not understand how they could deceive and lie to me but after reading all the other reviews, I see this is common practice.

Please advise me what my options are since I have now officially terminated my agreement and have an outstanding balance of $756.04. I do not want the oil. Please come and take the 166.2 gallons back. I pay you $425.47, which was the going rate for oil in Norwalk, CT on 11.5.18. We come to some other agreement in which we settle this outstanding bill. Any feedback would be great as I am nervous that you will simply let the bill go delinquent and I receive late charges. I am attempting to end things and have been nothing but calm and respectful throughout this discrepancy. I feel I at least deserve a return call from the person who told me he has a recording of me agreeing to get deliveries. Additionally a rationalization as to why your prices are $2 above market value would be nice.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Updated on 11/07/2018: Well, I am not making much progress. I wrote a review last week. The company responded suggesting a call a specific person - at the general number. The agent who answered didn't know the individual I was looking for but did look her up in the company directory. I was told an email was sent with a request that they me call back. That was on Monday morning - this is Wednesday morning. Would I be writing if they called??

Original Review: Petro acquired southeastern PA-based Superior - which several years ago acquired Kelly. I have been a customer for well in excess of ten years. For as long as I have been a customer I have called in August or September to arrange for a technician to come to my home to check the heating system in October. October is well before the weather in our area turns terribly cold. I called this year and was told the first available date was in mid-March - if everything works until then why bother to get the system checked. The scheduler tells me they are jammed up with emergency service calls-really, it is not even very cold yet. I was invited to speak to a supervisor, after 10 minutes on hold - really, you want my business. There are other HVAC companies.

Petro response

Martin- We are very sorry for the misunderstanding you described. Our Customer Service Manager Jarrunia has tried reaching out a number of times but has been unsuccessful. We are very much committed to our customers and would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation. Please reach out to Jarrunia when you have a moment her direct phone number has been provided to you privately. Looking forward to speaking with you. Regards, Petro Home Services

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I used to be a customer of a company which has been recently bought by Petro. When I signed the contract for home heating oil, I was promised a discount of $100 and an additional discount of 15 cents per gallon for every delivery till next May. When I tried to explain this to the customer service woman, she seemed to be not bothered by what I am trying to explain at all. Put me on hold several times, apparently to talk to my sales rep, but came back with the same answer every time. I even told her that I have everything written in an email and I can forward it to her, but she was not interested in that.

Finally she said that she will contact my sales rep and it will be sorted out and hung up. Nothing has been sorted out so far. Seems like I have been trapped in a bad situation with this company. Mistakes do happen, but there is always a general expectation of customers that it will be sorted out. Unless this is sorted out soon, I will never recommend this company to anybody.

Petro response

Hello- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can rectify the situation and prove to you that we would love to earn your business. Please call our Customer Service Manager, Carmen, at 800.645.4328. Thank you very much. Best regards, Petro Home Services

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petro?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I've been a commercial customer since 2010. As a PM, they have been incredibly responsive to my building issues. I've usually dealt with Lisa ** and she's been a great help with getting me answers on projects while meeting me with competitive pricing. I've been a customer and will continue to be a loyal customer because getting great service without getting gauged with paying a huge premium does not happen, especially in NYC!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

They refused to put oil in my tank because it was "unsafe" and "tank needed to be replaced." I found that very strange since no plumber or company had said that before in the same conditions. After several attempts to get them to be more specific they finally said (3 days later) a valve and alarm needed to be changed but that they could do this work for $300. Keep in mind they had me wait 15-20 minutes every time I called; cold weather and no oil in the tank they feel no rush in solving this "issue". 4th day and I'm still waiting for some "technician" to contact me regarding scheduling the repairs (which I'm not so sure are needed)...

Petro response

Michael- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please call our Customer Service Manager, Lisa at 800.645.4328. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

This company is rude and doesn't seem to care. They will talk you into getting into a contract with them verbally and lock you into a rate. If you verbally agree to it, you're stuck in it because they will charge you a $300+ fee to try to get out of it. Even if it's just a day after you agree to it, they will not let you get out of it. They will constantly call you and mail you letters to get in a contract with them. The staff is rude and seem like they are just interested in making money off you. If you are in the North Shore area of Boston, there are many good companies you can use for home oil. Take a look at these companies instead, Amanda's Fuel, Bob's Oil Company, Nardone Oil, Oil Connection, Howie's Oil / Mar Oil, Order Clean Oil, CODOil, Broco Oil, Northeast Oil Delivery, Fuel 2000, Savino & Sons Oil, Ranco Enterprises, Reading Discount Fuel, Absolute Oil, Smaart Fuel, Apple Oil Co.

Petro response

Chan- We understand that our Customer Service Department was able to connect with you in resolving your concerns. We do appreciate your loyalty and are very happy that the situation has been addressed. Don't hesitate to reach out to us should you have any further questions. Regards, Petro Home Services

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

This is the note I sent to the company to try to finally get them to stop bothering me. I moved away from their service area, and still they continued to send me bills and act as if I had not formally terminated service: "I am paying my final bill today. Please do not contact me again. I have had an extremely frustrating experience with your company. I paid my bill in full last spring and requested that my account be terminated because I was moving to Portland, Maine. Since then, I have received monthly invoices with sums of $240 or $480."

"I have emailed and called several times to clarify that I was no longer a customer, and each time customer service seemed to have no idea why I was receiving these invoices or how to stop them. And now, the final indignity. I accepted a promotion to join Petro last fall. I paid all of my bills on time or ahead of time, and now I must pay you back the $100 from over a year ago. I do not approve of your practices as a company, and I hope you reform."

Petro response

Ryan- We are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction. Based on the conversation with our Service Managers we are happy to hear we were able to come to a solution mutually satisfying for both parties as it relates to your account. We do appreciate your loyalty and sincerely hope that we may continue to build our rapport with you as Petro remains committed to our customers. Feel free to reach out to us should you have any further questions. Best Regards, Petro Home Services

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Petro Homes Services took over the company I'd been using for heating oil, Superior Oil last spring. They kept screwing up my budget, so I paid my account in full in June. Then they invoiced me for a Service Agreement in July. I told them I didn't want it, but they keep billing me for it. I closed my account before I needed oil again, but they STILL keep sending bills for that service agreement, now with late fees. Don't sign up with this company.

Petro response

Hi Elena- We thank you for taking the time to speak with our Customer Service Manager. Based on that conversation we are happy to hear that the issue has been addressed. Feel free to reach out to us should you have any questions. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

So I locked in with Love Effron which was taken over by Petro in September of 2017. It was for a one year locked rate of 2.26 which turned out to be a great deal because the cost went significantly up. They made all of their automatic deliveries with no issues until the spring (last fill for season). The guy claimed he ran out of oil (which happens) but said he’d be back. They never came back and I talked to them and refuse to come fill me up cause I’m over a half tank. The real reason is today’s rate for them is near $3.00 and they don’t want to fill me up at the lower rate and because they were unhappy that I didn’t want to renew my contract at their new price of 3.39. Terrible business practice. Will never use or recommend this company to anyone!

Petro response

Joe- We are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction and apologize for the misunderstanding you described. Our Customer Service Manager has tried reaching out a number of times but has been unsuccessful. We are very much committed to our customers and would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation. Please reach out to our Customer Service Manager, Tiela, at 1.800.645.4328.  Thank you very much.  Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

We had used Petro Home Services, Princeton, NJ for oil delivery at our Company’s heated garage for years and never had any problem with a delivery. That all changed when our gas furnace died last October. I contacted several installers and was impressed with the Petro salesman and price. While the installation went without a hitch, a second emergency shutoff switch which was included in the contract was not installed. This was corrected but we began to have problems once the work was inspected on January 23rd by Ewing Twp. The electrical installation failed due to what parts were used as well as the fact that some of the work (second emergency shut off switch) wasn’t included on the permit application. I emailed Petro that same day with the items that had to be addressed.

While the work was done within a week I waited for the township to call for a re-inspection. After 2 months I contacted Petro and was told that townships are slow in processing permits and they would get back to me after contacting the township. After another month I contacted Petro again and again a week later for an update. Finally on May 27th I was informed that the township needed a form from the electrician and would then approve the permit. After another 2.5 months I contacted my township directly to see what was going on. I learned that on May 21st the township had approved the permit application and would need a check for $51 for the fee. This was followed up by a fax the next day.

When I told Petro that on August 13th, no one said that the township had to be mistaken in effect admitting that they lied about the form. I was informed that the check would go to the township ASAP. Well on Sept. 9th I finally received the new permit. If the first issue wasn’t enough I determined that we had been overbilled by Petro for the furnace by $400 (it offered an interest-free installment plan). After informing Petro of this fact and following up twice we finally after over two months received the check.

When we purchased the furnace at the end of October it came with a free one-year service agreement. On July 25th, three months before the one-year had expired, we received an invoice for a service agreement payable on demand and a follow up invoice one month later. I had never been contacted by Petro to see if I wanted this service agreement. Integrity and honesty are the first assets you should look for in a vendor. Based on my experience these are sorely lacking at Petro and we will never do business with it again.

Petro response

Ron- We understand that our Customer Service Department was able to connect with you in resolving your concerns. We do appreciate your loyalty and are very happy that the situation has been addressed. Don't hesitate to reach out to us should you have any further questions. Regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

We have been using the same company for 14 years. We gave the new business in town (York, Maine) a chance to hear about their services. We explained that we had a pellet stove, don't use a lot of oil, we call when we need oil so we don't waste their time and money by delivering a small amount of oil every month, but we were told it's not a big deal. They will come out every month regardless of how little oil is needed. We were locked in a contract for one year and it was a great rate. We received 4 consecutive deliveries and then nothing 5 months.

I called 9/4/18 to cancel the contract when the contract was due to expire for 9/30 and said I would call when we needed oil. I was told I could top off, again, by the end of the current contract at the current contracted rate even though they just delivered oil almost 2 months before. I just called to top off and I was told the contract was cancelled and they could not top off for safety reasons. Neither person prior to mentioned anything about "safety reasons" called "blowback".

We were sold on a contract and it appears to me that when the price of oil was at its peak during the season, they opted not to deliver for several months knowing we had a good contracted rate. If our delivery pattern was low in December and January, why would they deliver 2 more months? If there's a "supposed" concern for "blowback", why were they able to deliver less than $20 worth of oil in one visit? Bait and switch when it came to service, delivery, promises, etc. The contract was good until the end of the month, but they took it upon themselves to cancel early without my knowledge.

It also appears this new company may be paying their employees a bonus to lure customers in, but they're not preparing themselves for not disclosing full and accurate information. They not only lost a customer for oil, which we use about 500 gallons each year, but they also lost the maintenance service we were going to switch to them this year after our contract expired with another company.

Petro response

Stephanie- thank you for reaching out to us. We are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction. Petro prides itself on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you and prove to you that we would love to earn your business. Please reach out directly to our Customer Service Manager, Chris, at 1.800.645.4328. Looking forward to speaking with you. Regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

When I signed up with Petro, I did also signed up for the automatic monthly budget plan. I provided representative with the credit card info and agreed to all terms and conditions. Somehow they never did monthly withdrawals and suspended my account with making it legal matter. Why to ask for the credit card at the first place? It is both extremely upsetting and disturbing. I used Petro in the past and never had that kind of horrible experience with them.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

After 13 years with Hoffberger Oil, I found myself with Petro after they bought the Hoffberger company. I had been on the budget plan for years and was surprised not to receive a bill in September. I sent in my usual monthly payment without a bill sent and by October called to inquire what was happening. "Customer Service" assured me all would be worked out once my first delivery occurred. Upon the first delivery, I still did not receive a bill (I continued to send monthly payments without a bill) and The second month after the delivery I was sent a bill with the full cost of the fuel plus a late fee charge!

Another call to "Customer Service" assured I would be placed on the payment plan and the late fee removed. The next month's bill showed the full cost of a second fuel delivery also due and another late fee. I called again to ask about the payment plan. I was told I had to pay $600.00 of the bill immediately in order to be considered for the payment plan since my bill now was over $500.00. Regardless of how high up the chain of command I went, NO ONE would work to put me on the payment plan without paying $600. I am persistent and determined, but not a nasty customer. I decided at that point, once my plan was paid, I would look for a company that values its customers.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Petro bought out Superior Oil last year (who provided very good service) and at the time we were told to call in July of this year to lock in a rate. When we first called, we were given a quote of $3.08/gallon for the 1st delivery and then the price would increase to $3.31/gallon. At about the same time, a relative was solicited by Luke to become a new customer. The relative was able to lock in a fixed rate of $2.699/gallon for the season. When she called, she spoke with Valerie **, who credited our account $100 because of the referral. We tried to get in touch with Valerie several times but were always told the rep would leave a message for her to call us - no reply call. A second call was placed to Petro and this time the rep stated they were a big corporation and had a lot of overhead expenses which is why they couldnt offer an existing customer close to or the same price per gallon as a new customer.

The rep was to, yet again, have someone return the call but we've heard nothing. A third phone call resulted in an additional $30 credit to pacify us but they are still not willing to lower the price. Another call was placed to the headquarter ph number listed on their website for an email address but we were referred to stargroup.com which didn't offer any information. I can understand a small difference between new and existing customers but $.50/gallon is outrageous. If anyone from Petro reads this and responds, please do not give us the pat answer that your customers are your #1 priority as it states on your brochures and ask that we call your Customer Service Manager. If we are that important to you, you can call us. If you respond, provide an email address where I can private message you our contact info.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Stay far away from Petro Home Services and Rinnai water heaters. Petro Home services installed the unit 3 years ago. That is how long it lasted. Rinnai would not give me a new unit but only new parts. Petro spent an entire day trying to fix the unit. Love the labor charge. In my frustration I told them to replace it the next day. 2500 dollars later I have a new unit. Nothing covered. And paid labor too. It would have been less expensive to install an electric unit. No one in that company advised me about anything. They will sell anything. Customer service is terrible also.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Stay far far away from this company. Absolutely awful customer service. Have spent my weekend trying to rectify my propane gas being empty despite being on a regular service schedule. House full of kids I can't feed and hours getting different stories and being disconnected. After finally being told on a Sunday they could not help (despite the day before they assured me would be taken care of Sunday) I get a call saying someone would come "diagnose" the problem for $300. What a joke. Canceling my service tomorrow 8 am.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Petro has been delivering oil to my home for quite some time. They always did one delivery every year and I never paid much attention to their pricing. For some reason they did two deliveries this year and I was stuck paying the bill. I decided to look into the charges and as it turns out they are billing 25% higher than Long Island average price per gallon. Example, Long Island average price per gallon is $3.28 for home heating oil but PETRO billed me $4.40 per gallon at over 500 gallons, that's a lot of money. There is a NY Government website that tracks average prices for heating oil for specific areas of NY - NYSERDA. They specifically do this so that companies like PETRO don't take advantage of trusting customers. I tried calling them and reason with them but they wouldn't hear it. I paid them what I thought was a fair price of $3.50 per gallon which is 7% above Long Island average.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Petro's business model is, to recruit gullible customers who think that by signing up with them for oil delivery and service. The customer will think that they have unburdened the headache of dealing with service and delivery of their oil boilers, while in essence they are going to burden themselves with an everlasting dishonest company, that will cheat them repeatedly. I have been blindly paying them their invoices for service of an oil burner and a one time oil delivery on a rental property that I own, assuming that services were rendered. Turn out that they had never repaired the boiler.

After paying more than $1,400 in invoices. I refused to pay them the last invoice of $128 for "the service call" which they told me that I need to replace the boiler and giving me an estimate of $15,000, after paying so much earlier for repairs that were never done. The worst thing about them is that the company cares nothing about customer relationships and is just waiting for their next fish. Just look at the 50-60 of negative reviews on this site and others.

Petro response

Hello Joseph - We are very sorry to hear about your experience. Petro prides itself on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please reach out to our Customer Service Manager, Melissa, at 1.800.645.4328. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: May 8, 2018

I am very upset, I called around and found out that the exact day we were charged 6 other area oil companies were charging on average .60 cents less a gallon. "When I called the 1-800 number I was told all companies do that." ( He continued to anger me and informed me "I was not angry with them but with my husband for signing the contract.") WHAT! They are not customer oriented in the least, not one bit. He just hung up after insulting me further- at that point I gave it right back and informed they were not ethical. Angry in CT.

Petro response

Hello Donna- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account. Please reach out to our Customer Service Manager at 800.645.4328. Thank you very much.

Original review: April 29, 2018

We moved to Long Island in Oct 2017. The Home currently uses oil heat and we set up “budget” contract for 250$ a month. Numerous times we were told that this is a set fee and we would not be charged more. During the coldest winter in year Petro decided to not deliver on time. Strike 1 no heat for several days. Then we called numerous times for days and no response. I had to contact the central Petro office and speak to senior management. Finally the heat was restored.

Strike 2 was the lack of responsiveness. The 3rd and final strike is the random and duplicitous business practices. We received a bill for over 1600$. I contacted the local supervisor who set up my account. He confirmed he had no written contract or details. The budget account is actually paying a portion of the month and that the customer would then pay the difference at the end of the billing cycle. I called Petro centrally and they confirmed that this was incorrect. Despite the constant calls and confirmations that I would not pay more than 250$ a month. I feel duped by these con men and would strongly tell anyone not to work with Petro.

Petro response

Hello Allen - We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation. Please reach out to our customer service manager at 1800-645-4328. Best Regards, Petro Home Services.

Original review: April 27, 2018

When I subscribed to Petro Oil for home oil heating services, they put me in a budget plan, meaning, equal monthly payments for a year for that sole delivery. What they don't tell you is that towards the end of your 12 months, they will refill you again and ask you to PAY for the total balance in full including that refill that they just sneaked in. I got a full tank delivery on December 15th, and then they sneaked in another delivery on the 21st of January knowing my 12-month budget plan will end on that same month. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY.

Petro response

Hello- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation. Please reach out to our customer service manager, Katie at 973.366.3100. Best Regards, Petro Home Services.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I received a bill charging me 4.249 per gallon of heating oil. According to my research this is 163% of market value. I have no idea why I got charged so much, and I haven't received an answer from Petro. I am on the budget plan so I pay the same amount all year long. This year that has left me with over a $1200 bill at the end of the year. I will definitely be searching for a different oil company.

Petro response

Hello Matthew - We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation. Please reach out to our customer service manager, Catherine at (401) 621-5147. Best Regards, Petro Home Services.

Original review: April 13, 2018

DISGUSTING AND A RIPOFF. They fabricate charges and constantly send you bills for fraudulent charges, unreal! I called to get an explanation and the rep couldn't even explain what the charges are for and couldn't find a supervisor to speak. Of course no one called me back. I am definitely finding another propane company.

Petro response

Hello Theresa - We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro Home Services prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can rectify the situation and prove to you that we would love to earn your business. Please call our Customer Service Manager, Janice, at 1.800.645.4328. Thank you very much. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: April 9, 2018

After receiving numerous phone calls from Petro to get me to sign up for their rate plan, I finally agreed to only a 6-month variable rate plan 2.86 - 3.229 to get me closer to the end of my service agreement in November. They delivered and charged me 3.229. We called the salesman who convinced me to sign up Sal ** and, "So sorry. Petro is within the price fix offered." I do not recommend Petro as obviously they hedge oil prices but do not pass along any savings to their customers. They are terrible in CT.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I had problem with my heating in Feb 18. It took five service calls to fix the problem instead of 1-2. On top of that they are manipulating the service contract and keep billing. WE try to resolve matter but consumer service keep promising return call from several field supervisors but no success. Now we have no choice but to take the matter at high level including president. By the way we are their customers for more than 15 years and referred so many friends and family. We deserve better treatment than this kind of conspiracy. I hope this get resolved soon.

Petro response

Hello Kirit - We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro Home Services prides itself on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We would like the opportunity to discuss this with you. Please reach out to a Customer Service Manager, Kathleen at 1.800.645.4328. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: March 17, 2018

This review is based on TWO times that Petro has left myself and my family waiting in a frozen home for fuel deliveries that were promised, yet never arrived. We called Petro at 5PM on a Friday when our in ground tank ran out of fuel in 24 degree weather. We were promised a delivery between 6PM and 9PM which never came. At 11PM we called Petro and they told us they no longer had trucks out so we would have to wait until the morning. I explained we had 3 small children in the home and were guaranteed a delivery.

The rep did not care. This company is 2 for 2 doing this to us, the prior time last year. Needless to say we canceled our service contract and switched to a more reliable company that hopefully will not mislead us or leave our family (including children and pets) in a frozen home despite promising a delivery and then failing to notify us that the truck would not be coming. This is truly the worst oil company out there. If you have an emergency and need this company to help you. I suggest prayer might be a more useful way to spend the 20 minutes you'll be on hold.

Petro response

Hello Cristian- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible service. Our customers are always our #1 priority. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation. Please call a Customer Service Manager at 1-800-645-4328. Thank you very much.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I would like to share this winter's very cold and horrific experience with Petro Home services. I had been on a Petro Home Service Elite program from Nov. 2017 to till Jan. 2018 for my apartment boiler. In November 2017 right after Thanksgiving day, my boiler had been malfunctioning. Then, I had called many time Petro for home services. Their technicians just came and go without fixing the problems. They purposely ignored the problems if boiler parts had to be replaced in order to save their end of expenses.

This had been going on more than a month and I probably had called them more than fifty times. Whenever I had called the supervisor "Michael", he had told us "We are researching the problem." After a month, I finally called different company "Bridge Mechanical" out of Staten Island to fix the problem. Beware customers! They will purposely ignore your problems if they have to replace boiler parts and they will go around the bush without fixing your problems.

Petro response

Hello Heejong, we are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction as we are very committed to our customers. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify. Please contact a Customer Service Manager at 1-800-645-4328. Thank you very much. Best regards, Petro Homes Services

Resolution response: March 16, 2018

I spoke with Janice today and she was wonderful. She took care of the issue immediately. Thank you

Original review: March 12, 2018

When I agreed to a contract with Petro I had asked them to notify me before deliveries are made. (2.09 fixed rate per gallon) Never notified me. They told me I would get 2 deliveries during my contract. I got one, and another one 10 days after my contract was up without notification for $1.00 more per gallon than my fixed price. I called them to try to get my fixed price thinking they were a legit company that wanted to keep costumers. They would only give me a discounted rate if I agreed to their current fixed price. Not a good way to do business and keep customers. I have spoken to them couple times now about the price.

When they sent me a bill last week I called them on Thursday and they put me on hold for 20 minutes and then said they would call me back. They never did. I called them this morning and a guy tells me they will not change the price (3.09 per gallon that was 2.29 during delivery from other companies without a contract). I asked to speak with a manager and he put me on hold a few minutes to tell me they would call me back. Don't do business with these people because they will try to screw you when they get the chance. Now, I understand what they did is correct according to their contract, but how do you get away with charging your customers at least 50 cents above average price at the time. Just wrong!

Petro response

Hello Bill - we are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction as we are very committed to our customers and want to provide you with the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly to rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please call our Customer Service Manager, Janice at 800.645.4328. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Petro Company Information