1.24/5

Need a utility company?

New England

302 Petro Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

When I signed up with Petro, I did also signed up for the automatic monthly budget plan. I provided representative with the credit card info and agreed to all terms and conditions. Somehow they never did monthly withdrawals and suspended my account with making it legal matter. Why to ask for the credit card at the first place? It is both extremely upsetting and disturbing. I used Petro in the past and never had that kind of horrible experience with them.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

After 13 years with Hoffberger Oil, I found myself with Petro after they bought the Hoffberger company. I had been on the budget plan for years and was surprised not to receive a bill in September. I sent in my usual monthly payment without a bill sent and by October called to inquire what was happening. "Customer Service" assured me all would be worked out once my first delivery occurred. Upon the first delivery, I still did not receive a bill (I continued to send monthly payments without a bill) and The second month after the delivery I was sent a bill with the full cost of the fuel plus a late fee charge!

Another call to "Customer Service" assured I would be placed on the payment plan and the late fee removed. The next month's bill showed the full cost of a second fuel delivery also due and another late fee. I called again to ask about the payment plan. I was told I had to pay $600.00 of the bill immediately in order to be considered for the payment plan since my bill now was over $500.00. Regardless of how high up the chain of command I went, NO ONE would work to put me on the payment plan without paying $600. I am persistent and determined, but not a nasty customer. I decided at that point, once my plan was paid, I would look for a company that values its customers.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Petro bought out Superior Oil last year (who provided very good service) and at the time we were told to call in July of this year to lock in a rate. When we first called, we were given a quote of $3.08/gallon for the 1st delivery and then the price would increase to $3.31/gallon. At about the same time, a relative was solicited by Luke to become a new customer. The relative was able to lock in a fixed rate of $2.699/gallon for the season. When she called, she spoke with Valerie **, who credited our account $100 because of the referral. We tried to get in touch with Valerie several times but were always told the rep would leave a message for her to call us - no reply call. A second call was placed to Petro and this time the rep stated they were a big corporation and had a lot of overhead expenses which is why they couldnt offer an existing customer close to or the same price per gallon as a new customer.

The rep was to, yet again, have someone return the call but we've heard nothing. A third phone call resulted in an additional $30 credit to pacify us but they are still not willing to lower the price. Another call was placed to the headquarter ph number listed on their website for an email address but we were referred to stargroup.com which didn't offer any information. I can understand a small difference between new and existing customers but $.50/gallon is outrageous. If anyone from Petro reads this and responds, please do not give us the pat answer that your customers are your #1 priority as it states on your brochures and ask that we call your Customer Service Manager. If we are that important to you, you can call us. If you respond, provide an email address where I can private message you our contact info.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Stay far away from Petro Home Services and Rinnai water heaters. Petro Home services installed the unit 3 years ago. That is how long it lasted. Rinnai would not give me a new unit but only new parts. Petro spent an entire day trying to fix the unit. Love the labor charge. In my frustration I told them to replace it the next day. 2500 dollars later I have a new unit. Nothing covered. And paid labor too. It would have been less expensive to install an electric unit. No one in that company advised me about anything. They will sell anything. Customer service is terrible also.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Stay far far away from this company. Absolutely awful customer service. Have spent my weekend trying to rectify my propane gas being empty despite being on a regular service schedule. House full of kids I can't feed and hours getting different stories and being disconnected. After finally being told on a Sunday they could not help (despite the day before they assured me would be taken care of Sunday) I get a call saying someone would come "diagnose" the problem for $300. What a joke. Canceling my service tomorrow 8 am.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petro?

Original review: June 7, 2018

Petro has been delivering oil to my home for quite some time. They always did one delivery every year and I never paid much attention to their pricing. For some reason they did two deliveries this year and I was stuck paying the bill. I decided to look into the charges and as it turns out they are billing 25% higher than Long Island average price per gallon. Example, Long Island average price per gallon is $3.28 for home heating oil but PETRO billed me $4.40 per gallon at over 500 gallons, that's a lot of money. There is a NY Government website that tracks average prices for heating oil for specific areas of NY - NYSERDA. They specifically do this so that companies like PETRO don't take advantage of trusting customers. I tried calling them and reason with them but they wouldn't hear it. I paid them what I thought was a fair price of $3.50 per gallon which is 7% above Long Island average.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Petro's business model is, to recruit gullible customers who think that by signing up with them for oil delivery and service. The customer will think that they have unburdened the headache of dealing with service and delivery of their oil boilers, while in essence they are going to burden themselves with an everlasting dishonest company, that will cheat them repeatedly. I have been blindly paying them their invoices for service of an oil burner and a one time oil delivery on a rental property that I own, assuming that services were rendered. Turn out that they had never repaired the boiler.

After paying more than $1,400 in invoices. I refused to pay them the last invoice of $128 for "the service call" which they told me that I need to replace the boiler and giving me an estimate of $15,000, after paying so much earlier for repairs that were never done. The worst thing about them is that the company cares nothing about customer relationships and is just waiting for their next fish. Just look at the 50-60 of negative reviews on this site and others.

Petro response

Hello Joseph - We are very sorry to hear about your experience. Petro prides itself on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please reach out to our Customer Service Manager, Melissa, at 1.800.645.4328. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: May 8, 2018

I am very upset, I called around and found out that the exact day we were charged 6 other area oil companies were charging on average .60 cents less a gallon. "When I called the 1-800 number I was told all companies do that." ( He continued to anger me and informed me "I was not angry with them but with my husband for signing the contract.") WHAT! They are not customer oriented in the least, not one bit. He just hung up after insulting me further- at that point I gave it right back and informed they were not ethical. Angry in CT.

Petro response

Hello Donna- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account. Please reach out to our Customer Service Manager at 800.645.4328. Thank you very much.

Original review: April 29, 2018

We moved to Long Island in Oct 2017. The Home currently uses oil heat and we set up “budget” contract for 250$ a month. Numerous times we were told that this is a set fee and we would not be charged more. During the coldest winter in year Petro decided to not deliver on time. Strike 1 no heat for several days. Then we called numerous times for days and no response. I had to contact the central Petro office and speak to senior management. Finally the heat was restored.

Strike 2 was the lack of responsiveness. The 3rd and final strike is the random and duplicitous business practices. We received a bill for over 1600$. I contacted the local supervisor who set up my account. He confirmed he had no written contract or details. The budget account is actually paying a portion of the month and that the customer would then pay the difference at the end of the billing cycle. I called Petro centrally and they confirmed that this was incorrect. Despite the constant calls and confirmations that I would not pay more than 250$ a month. I feel duped by these con men and would strongly tell anyone not to work with Petro.

Petro response

Hello Allen - We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation. Please reach out to our customer service manager at 1800-645-4328. Best Regards, Petro Home Services.

Original review: April 27, 2018

When I subscribed to Petro Oil for home oil heating services, they put me in a budget plan, meaning, equal monthly payments for a year for that sole delivery. What they don't tell you is that towards the end of your 12 months, they will refill you again and ask you to PAY for the total balance in full including that refill that they just sneaked in. I got a full tank delivery on December 15th, and then they sneaked in another delivery on the 21st of January knowing my 12-month budget plan will end on that same month. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY.

Petro response

Hello- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation. Please reach out to our customer service manager, Katie at 973.366.3100. Best Regards, Petro Home Services.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I received a bill charging me 4.249 per gallon of heating oil. According to my research this is 163% of market value. I have no idea why I got charged so much, and I haven't received an answer from Petro. I am on the budget plan so I pay the same amount all year long. This year that has left me with over a $1200 bill at the end of the year. I will definitely be searching for a different oil company.

Petro response

Hello Matthew - We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation. Please reach out to our customer service manager, Catherine at (401) 621-5147. Best Regards, Petro Home Services.

Original review: April 13, 2018

DISGUSTING AND A RIPOFF. They fabricate charges and constantly send you bills for fraudulent charges, unreal! I called to get an explanation and the rep couldn't even explain what the charges are for and couldn't find a supervisor to speak. Of course no one called me back. I am definitely finding another propane company.

Petro response

Hello Theresa - We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro Home Services prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can rectify the situation and prove to you that we would love to earn your business. Please call our Customer Service Manager, Janice, at 1.800.645.4328. Thank you very much. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: April 9, 2018

After receiving numerous phone calls from Petro to get me to sign up for their rate plan, I finally agreed to only a 6-month variable rate plan 2.86 - 3.229 to get me closer to the end of my service agreement in November. They delivered and charged me 3.229. We called the salesman who convinced me to sign up Sal ** and, "So sorry. Petro is within the price fix offered." I do not recommend Petro as obviously they hedge oil prices but do not pass along any savings to their customers. They are terrible in CT.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I had problem with my heating in Feb 18. It took five service calls to fix the problem instead of 1-2. On top of that they are manipulating the service contract and keep billing. WE try to resolve matter but consumer service keep promising return call from several field supervisors but no success. Now we have no choice but to take the matter at high level including president. By the way we are their customers for more than 15 years and referred so many friends and family. We deserve better treatment than this kind of conspiracy. I hope this get resolved soon.

Petro response

Hello Kirit - We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro Home Services prides itself on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We would like the opportunity to discuss this with you. Please reach out to a Customer Service Manager, Kathleen at 1.800.645.4328. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: March 17, 2018

This review is based on TWO times that Petro has left myself and my family waiting in a frozen home for fuel deliveries that were promised, yet never arrived. We called Petro at 5PM on a Friday when our in ground tank ran out of fuel in 24 degree weather. We were promised a delivery between 6PM and 9PM which never came. At 11PM we called Petro and they told us they no longer had trucks out so we would have to wait until the morning. I explained we had 3 small children in the home and were guaranteed a delivery.

The rep did not care. This company is 2 for 2 doing this to us, the prior time last year. Needless to say we canceled our service contract and switched to a more reliable company that hopefully will not mislead us or leave our family (including children and pets) in a frozen home despite promising a delivery and then failing to notify us that the truck would not be coming. This is truly the worst oil company out there. If you have an emergency and need this company to help you. I suggest prayer might be a more useful way to spend the 20 minutes you'll be on hold.

Petro response

Hello Cristian- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible service. Our customers are always our #1 priority. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation. Please call a Customer Service Manager at 1-800-645-4328. Thank you very much.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I would like to share this winter's very cold and horrific experience with Petro Home services. I had been on a Petro Home Service Elite program from Nov. 2017 to till Jan. 2018 for my apartment boiler. In November 2017 right after Thanksgiving day, my boiler had been malfunctioning. Then, I had called many time Petro for home services. Their technicians just came and go without fixing the problems. They purposely ignored the problems if boiler parts had to be replaced in order to save their end of expenses.

This had been going on more than a month and I probably had called them more than fifty times. Whenever I had called the supervisor "Michael", he had told us "We are researching the problem." After a month, I finally called different company "Bridge Mechanical" out of Staten Island to fix the problem. Beware customers! They will purposely ignore your problems if they have to replace boiler parts and they will go around the bush without fixing your problems.

Petro response

Hello Heejong, we are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction as we are very committed to our customers. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify. Please contact a Customer Service Manager at 1-800-645-4328. Thank you very much. Best regards, Petro Homes Services

Resolution response: March 16, 2018

I spoke with Janice today and she was wonderful. She took care of the issue immediately. Thank you

Original review: March 12, 2018

When I agreed to a contract with Petro I had asked them to notify me before deliveries are made. (2.09 fixed rate per gallon) Never notified me. They told me I would get 2 deliveries during my contract. I got one, and another one 10 days after my contract was up without notification for $1.00 more per gallon than my fixed price. I called them to try to get my fixed price thinking they were a legit company that wanted to keep costumers. They would only give me a discounted rate if I agreed to their current fixed price. Not a good way to do business and keep customers. I have spoken to them couple times now about the price.

When they sent me a bill last week I called them on Thursday and they put me on hold for 20 minutes and then said they would call me back. They never did. I called them this morning and a guy tells me they will not change the price (3.09 per gallon that was 2.29 during delivery from other companies without a contract). I asked to speak with a manager and he put me on hold a few minutes to tell me they would call me back. Don't do business with these people because they will try to screw you when they get the chance. Now, I understand what they did is correct according to their contract, but how do you get away with charging your customers at least 50 cents above average price at the time. Just wrong!

Petro response

Hello Bill - we are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction as we are very committed to our customers and want to provide you with the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly to rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please call our Customer Service Manager, Janice at 800.645.4328. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: March 5, 2018

I responded to an A/C contract offer from Petro (pay for 2 years & get the 3rd year free). In as much as it came to a substantial amount ($700+) I was told I could pay it out @ $59. per month with no fee, which I accepted. Petro then (without my knowledge or permission) placed my oil payments on a budget plan (which I have never done in my over 3 decades of dealing with this company). This action led to a series of incomprehensible bills (which took 5 months of calls to finally discover what was done without my consent). I was then given a royal runaround & they would no longer respond to my phone messages.

Petro response

Hello Sally - thank you for reaching out to us. We would like to discuss this situation with you but are having difficulty locating your account. Please call our Customer Service Manager, Carmen Davis at 1-800-645-4328. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: March 2, 2018

We went with Petro a couple years ago with a coupon to save money. Slowly their prices went up and didn't check around till THIS year! They filled my oil tank in Dec and I didn't pay attention to the cost per gallon. They filled my tank up in Jan 2018 and my bill was almost $650. This took my attention and they charged me $3.89 gallon. I looked back at Dec and was charged $3.59 gallon. I looked at Maryland average and it was $2.99 gallon. Here I am a loyal customer and was charged almost $1.00 per gallon than average. What a rip off! I sent them a letter to close out my account and of course, I got a call trying to keep me as a customer offering me $2.59 gallon. After already being screwed - NO THANKS!!!! I took my business elsewhere!

Petro response

Dear Cathy- We are very sorry to hear about your experience and that you have decided to part ways with us. Petro prides itself on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We would like the opportunity to further discuss this with you. Please reach out to a Customer Service Manager at 1.800.645.4328. We do appreciate your loyalty and sincerely hope that one day we may have the opportunity to serve and rebuild our rapport with you.

Original review: March 1, 2018

In November, I signed up for a Petro account for the water boiler in our new house which powers the heat and hot water. It is an oil delivery and service plan paid on a monthly fixed budget. We needed service on the unit around Thanksgiving time because I remember scrambling around the holiday to make sure we had heat and hot water before a bunch of family were to come over. The reset button had tripped and the unit wouldn't stay running for more than 30 seconds.

I called Petro for service and they said they could make it in a four hour window same day. The guy ended up showing up about 5 hours after the end of the window and said they were backed up normal excuses. The guy said parts needed to be replaced and did the work. Everything was back and running and he assured me he tested the unit and everything was fine. Less than an hour later, I decided to go double check the unit to make sure everything looked ok still. I had about an inch of water covering my basement! I immediately shut off the boiler and made another service call. The same routine went on with the window that they were incredibly late for and I believe I stayed up until about 5am waiting.

They said that I could schedule an appointment the next day but I told them it was an emergency because I was without heat and hot water for the entire day, they had flooded my basement, and didn't actually fix the problem in the first place. While I was waiting, I was trying to shop vac and mop up all the water! Finally, another guy shows up and says more parts need to be replaced. He does some of the work but he doesn't have all the parts so he says another person has to come with the parts. That person shows up in the afternoon of the next day and fixes it and supposedly everything is back to normal. I then fly to Sacramento for a work trip which lasts the rest of the week.

When I return we are scrambling to get ready for Thanksgiving and my wife notices that we don't have any hot water. I go to check the water boiler again. Side note: they replaced the electronics on the water boiler so I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the new settings and adjusting the temperatures. The first guy who repaired the unit obviously set it too high. The last guy must have set it too low I assumed. But that was not the case. The temperatures were fine and the unit was functioning as best I could tell. I make yet another service call and now it is 2 days before Thanksgiving. The entire same routine goes on again and they miss their window by hours.

Finally a guy shows up and says more parts need to be replaced and doesn't have all the parts again! He goes out and gets the parts and comes back and makes more repairs. After he leaves the hot water is working and we run a couple of tests and everything seems fine. The next day during showers we notice that we only have about 5 minutes of hot water. I check everything again but I can't figure out why. I make another call again and when the guy shows up he actually just turns my whole house water pressure down because he claimed that the water was going through the water boiler too fast and not giving it enough time to heat up. I kid you not. He was here about 10 minutes. This seems to have worked however because we did have a normal amount of hot water after that and wow we made it right before Thanksgiving.

So this all sounds terrible right? Someone should be held accountable? Well, fast forward a month later and I check my bill from Petro and not only have they charged me for my monthly budget plan (which I had my bank auto pay and wasn't fully aware there we extra charges until I looked at it myself when I got a past due bill a month later) but they have also charged me for the service and the oil deliveries! All of which is included in the budget plan that I had already been paying monthly! I call them and talk to customer service and they tell me it is their mistake and it will be corrected on the next month's bill. I should just keep paying my monthly budget only! Wow, great news! I can't believe how easy it was to get that resolved.

Fast forward another month. I check my bill again and all the same charges are there! I call customer service again and the first time I get disconnected while trying to tell them the number to best reach me. Not knowing if they got it all, I call back again. I tell my whole story again and they assure me that their supervisor Jacob ** can resolve my issue and he'll give me a call soon. Side note: their phone system is in the stone ages. There are no prompts. It goes straight to a customer service agent. You can't type any extensions. Apparently Jacob was in the field and wasn't picking up his phone so they couldn't transfer me. They had to email him and he would call me back. Of course I have no idea when or what number he is calling from so I miss the call, it goes to voicemail and he gives me an extension to call him back. Of course, you can't enter an extension when calling Petro so I have to tell my story a third time to another rep.

They tell me the exact same thing and Jacob gets another email asking him to call me. He calls me again and this time I see the same number and pick it up. I tell him my whole story. This was very difficult by the way. His listening ability was very poor and he kept cutting me off to explain why the charges were on my account. I tried to explain again that this was their mistake on the bill that they had already admitted to a month ago and had assured me it would be corrected on my bill. I was only calling to follow up and get it resolved. His explanation was that I was only getting charges for the one follow up call to adjust the water before Thanksgiving and that it was not included in my heat and oil ONLY Petro budget plan. This all makes sense except the whole reason why I needed them to come out before Thanksgiving was because they had made faulty repairs before and flooded my basement the week before.

He said that was an unrelated repair and a coincidence that it happened so close together. After much belaboring back and forth on the phone, he finally tells me that he actually can't resolve my issue and that I need to speak to another representative named Kim. He states that he cannot transfer me because he is at a dead end line and that he will contact her and have her call me. I wait around some more. I miss a call from a random number I've never seen. I get a voicemail from Kim. She leaves no extension or last name (not that it would matter anyway).

I try to call back the exact same number but it just routes me back to the normal customer service line and I tell my story yet another time to another person. They can't get a hold of Kim. I explain what Jacob said to me about how he can't resolve the issue and they say that's crazy because he is the guy that resolves issues like this and that Kim wouldn't be able to do anything anyway. They can't get a hold of Jacob and tell me they will email him again to give me another call.

Jacob calls me again and we belabor the same points again to the point where I am so frustrated with the entire process that I ask him if he has a boss that I can speak to. He tells me that his boss' name is George ** and that since it is the end of the day he will not be able to give me a call until tomorrow. I actually thought that he was making it up to get me off the phone and so I ask him about it. He laughs it off and then I try to ask for George's information. Phone number? Extension? Anything! Of course he doesn't have any of this information.

I try to explain to him that I have been playing phone tag with everyone at Petro for about 2 months and after they had admitted their mistake nobody seems to know how to resolve the issue on the bill. I did not want to keep playing phone tag but of course he doesn't have any information on George. I search Petro's website and LinkedIn and I can't find anybody by that name. I am still waiting today for the follow up phone call. I am not sure I will ever get one. I am not sure how I can get their mistake resolved if all the people in power from their company are this difficult to talk to. They seem to be heavily mismanaged and attempt to scam unknowing customers to make up the difference.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I just purchased a house on Long Island. I am new to having oil services. Before signing up with Petro I shopped around. Petro was very nice when I signed up but that was all a trick. We had a problem with our heating unit (only some rooms would get hot). They sent a technician to come take a look. The minute he got to house I felt something was off. The technician needed to see the back of the unit and asked me to move my washer and dryer. Yes I understand it was blocking it but the technician could have helped. After moving the dryer out of his way, he basically told me he cannot fit in that location and I have to do the work. I squeezed into the area to remove the filter that was filthy. He said, "This is why you don't have adequate heating." He said the problem was fixed. I was very thankful.

He then said he also tested the system and that the heating exchange is broken and he has to condemn the unit. He said it can blow up at any time or cause CO in the house. He said he can get a sales technician here within the hour to get it repaired. He made a phone call on his cell phone and within 10 min Petro called me to sell me a unit. Seemed a little sketchy so I brought another company in to take a look. They took the whole unit apart and found nothing wrong. Just to be safe I brought a 3rd company in and they also said there is nothing wrong with my unit. It is just old.

I called Petro back and it took over 2 weeks to speak to someone. That was after me finally calling back. The supervisor Bob said he can send out his lead technician to see what the problem is. My opinion he doesn't want Petro to look bad so the lead technician will say the same thing. I asked to speak to someone regarding my contract possibly someone from sales who sold me everything. I got a phone call from the same guy who tried to sell me the unit. I want someone with authority to call me. I am very unhappy with my services.

Petro response

Hello Zach - we are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction as Petro Home Services is very committed to our customers and we want to provide you with the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you so that we can rectify the situation as quickly as possible. Can you please contact our Customer Service Manager, Janice, at 800.645.4328 at your earliest convenience? Thank you very much.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

We have been with Petro Oil (Maryland) for a few years. The customer service used to be very good as did their prices. We persuaded my mother to also switch to Petro Oil. Now... Things are different. The customer service is sub-par at best and prices are higher than all other local heating oil providers. My mother, who senior citizen and a widow who lives on a very fixed income, was treated very poorly. We will both be leaving Petro at the end of this winter.

Petro response

Hello Dana - We are very sorry to hear about your experience and that you have decided to part ways with us. Petro prides itself on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We would like the opportunity to discuss this with you. Please reach out to our Customer Service Manager, Lisa, at 1.800.645.4328. We do appreciate your loyalty and sincerely hope that one day we may have the opportunity to serve and rebuild our rapport with you.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Have been with Petro for more than two years, their oil prices are more than $2.00 over published prices in RI, and over 50cents per gallon more than average "high" prices. Service plan is adequate but they are robbing their customers.

Petro response

Hello Judy - We are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction. Based on the conversation with our Pricing Manager we are saddened to know we were unable to come to a solution mutually satisfying for both parties as it relates to your account. We do appreciate your loyalty and sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity to rebuild our rapport with you as Petro remains committed to our customers. Feel free to reach out to us should you have any further questions.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

We have been customers of Petro for several years. Over the past few years, we rarely needed a service tech come to our home. Recently we experienced hot water leaking from our boiler. We had 2 separate calls with techs come and change parts but problem kept on happening. This time the temp outside was near 5 degrees, we called in for an emergency service call around 2 pm they said the tech will be at our home between 5-8 pm. Great! But not the case, around 9:30 pm we called again and they said the tech was running late and will be at our home by 11 pm. Again we waited, at this point we have a 5 gallon bucket of hot water filling up every 20 minutes! By 12:30 am, still no show, we called again and at this point we had to stay near the burner to keep emptying buckets of hot water, we pleaded with the rep on the phone to have someone come ASAP.

She said they would get here ASAP. Again no tech until 3:30 am! He came in and said he didn't have the parts needed and for us just to shut off the hot water so it stops leaking. Really? We waited all this time for that answer. He left after 15 minutes with nothing done. The tech however did place a call to have another tech come the next day to change a different part and it would cost us $200. We agreed cause we needed hot water and heat. The next day the tech said that our problem was another issue and the parts would cost over $1000 to $1500. He said to have a new boiler installed. We met with that installation rep later that day, (of course they show up when they said since they're making more money off of us). He gave us a quote of $5700 for a new one. We agreed and they came next day to install. 3 guys show up, remove old and install new one.

Fantastic, no more worries. Not the case once again. 3 weeks later, hot water is again leaking from boiler, a few copper pipes were never soldered and came apart and the leaking part wasn't soldered correctly. We called again, a pleasant rep say they will come between 5-8 pm. Again 8:30 pm we call waited 20 minutes to speak to someone and she says the tech won't be at our house for at least another hour or so. We ask to speak to supervisor and none are working at night! They said they will have the supervisor call my husband's cell while at work next morning and of course no one called. No one showed up.

We had to call again and still no resolve to this. New boiler, terrible service and after service contract is up in May, we will no longer be a Petro customer. Do not use Petro! Like us, you will regret your decision, they are total rip offs and I would not be surprised if they are going out of business. Shame on you Petro for totally letting down the customers who keep you in business!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I do have to say I just signed up with Petro Oil a few months ago was set up on a contract plan and make monthly payments. I recently had an issue with my boiler and they came the same day. I was impressed and am glad I chose them. And the best part my contract covers the boiler part so I didn't have to pay. I would recommend their service.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I've had Petro for a few years now, with no serious issues. However, my oil tank was near empty in mid December and I had to call in and request it to be filled, even though I am on an automatic delivery. My first issue with this delivery was the inflated price per gallon of oil, $3.79, when the average price for local companies was around $2.50 to $2.70. Additionally, I was aware that their prices have always tended to be on the high end, but not a dollar more! I called to question the bill and the inflated price, and was told that they charge more because of their superior service, and received a forty dollar credit. I also let them know that it seemed very convenient for them to supply me with oil at an inflated price when my tank was so low.

Following this delivery, I had an issue that caused my thermostat to no longer function, which is covered by my contract, that took over three weeks to get resolved, getting their customer service to actually follow through with the schedule took two weeks alone. When the technician finally came out to my residence, I find out that the information customer service provided him was mostly incorrect, but the technician was still able to resolve the problem. I really can't say anything bad about any of the field technicians, I have encountered thus far, and find them both helpful and knowledgeable.

Now we come to today, 1/30/2018, I get home and find an oil bill attached to my door. At first I thought, why so soon; my tank is not even half empty, but then I look at my bill and realized that the price per gallon was inflated yet again. This time the price was $4.35 per gallon, while the average price per gallon of oil in my area is still the same. I called to discuss my bill, and was basically told that I am entitled to my opinion, and it is what it is. As a customer of Petro, I feel taken advantage of, ripped off, belittled, and blatantly lied to. I would love cancel my contract or get oil from another company, but in doing so Petro would bill me for breach of contract. In the end, I'll find a better business to provide heating services in the future.

Petro response

Hello Zach - we are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction as Petro Home Services is very committed to our customers and we want to provide you with the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you so that we can rectify the situation as quickly as possible. Can you please contact our customer service manager, Catherine, at 800.645.4328 at your earliest convenience? Thank you very much. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Service contract for 350.00 and they still charge for service 200.00 dollars for a thermostat. When you call the 800-number for service or a oil delivery which you have automatic delivery, on hold for 20 minutes or longer. Cancel both service contract and automatic oil delivery.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I am in shock reading the reviews. I cannot say enough good things about Petro. Their customer service is stellar and cannot be beat. Charles is always there for you and he provides his mobile phone should he not be in the office. Deliveries are prompt and if we need service they are there in just a few hours. I have no problems with their pricing and I do check oil prices periodically. Petro’s always in line with other RI companies. In my mind Petro has been a 5 Star oil company for the 4 yrs we’ve been with them. Thank you Charles for all you do for us.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I have been a customer of Petro for over 22 years, and have only recently noticed that the price they are charging me for oil was over $1.00 per gallon above NYSERDA prices for Long Island. When I confronted them with this situation, they claimed that I needed to purchase a capped price contract in order to receive a lower price. This is nothing more than a sham, to lock you into an expensive contract that you cannot cancel without a stiff penalty. They also claimed that they needed to charge more for their oil because they have 24/7 service. Really? Read the other reviews about their service and decide for yourself if it's worth it to do business with them.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I had my hot water heater replaced in October 2017. Well since then I’ve had a technician come 6/7 time because it has been leaking. I was told I got a faulty hot water heater and it would be replaced. It is now January still no replacement heater. Oh and now the pressure pipe is leaking because it has been let go for so long. I had a technician come out on 1/16/17 who couldn’t do anything except for “just turn the hot water valve off”. Yes that really solves my problem of no hot water in my house. My basement is getting ruined and my patience is getting thin. This is not acceptable at all especially when there is a infant in the home that I have told the technicians and customer service multiple times.

Petro Company Information