New England

3.5/5 (172 ratings)

About Petro

Petro Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petro?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petro?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

This company tells you everything that makes one feel using this company will be the right choice. I had a few red flags but since I was locked in I became stuck with them. Although I signed with them in November I had my first delivery 1-11-22. I had my oil tank relocated and in order to get a delivery I had in no uncertain terms I had to use their technicians to approve the work. Using their technician came at a price and the 20gals that was put into the tank cost me 64.00. When I called to get the tech I was given a window of time not knowing someone already came before time and I sat in a cold house for over 5 hours now.

Today (1-17-22) I called to question why I bill is 790.59 when I was to I am on a “smart budget” and my payments will not be more than 340. Talking with the customer rep her best response was their oil is “SUPERIOR“ than most company. Hence the high price. I am an unhappy customer and I know I have choices and using this company is my worst choice. I ask to get out even before a delivery was made and they hold you at ransom for $400 in order to get out. Please potential customer of Petro do not use this company. Do all research and the reviews you are seeing is all real. I have to give a “star” and giving this company one is is way too much.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

My furnace (which Petro sold me and installed) began leaking and I asked them if they could send someone out to take a look at it perhaps fix it. They basically told me “get bent unless you sign a contract whoever you have been buying your oil from can come and fix your furnace.” I found this to be very rude and dismissive, they sold me the furnace and installed it, but did not want to be bothered assisting me unless I signed an exclusive contract to purchase all of my heating oil from Petro. Because of this profoundly negative experience, I doubt I will ever do business with them again provided it isn’t unavoidable.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

I've given them too many chances. There is no way I will be signing up with this company again when my contract expires. Over a dollar more per gallon compared to others. Total ripoff company. Beware!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

Not only could they not manage to call before their deliveries EVER the worst complaint comes from the move I just made while renting my old home. Both the office woman Kim and service manager Jim TOLD ME (phone/text/email) back in August that when I moved out, I needed to provide a meter reading for my refund of oil that was in the tank and the new tenants would be charged for the amount of oil in the tank once they opened the account. The service manager would bug the ** out of me and my tenants for them to sign up stating that my refund wouldn’t come until then so finally the tenants opened their account (even though they didn’t want to go with them but then I wouldn’t receive my refund through Petro and they'd have to pay separately).

Now ALL OF SUDDEN I don’t get refunded and they basically tell me to screw off the tenants need to pay me they can’t do it and they never stated they could. I have it clear as day in writing on emails and texts and now they still won’t refund me the $650 that now I’m out of. They clearly lied so they could get two new accounts, scam artists, unprofessional, and completely unjustified coercion

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

They charge way over the market. They made it impossible to get into a neighborhood contact and overcharged us because our old contract ended. Now they say we can't get out of delivery contract that we don't have. They are downright criminals.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Just received my first bill this year. Got charged $4.07 a gallon. A quick research shows that the average rate for most oil companies today is about $3.02 a gallon. I will be canceling my contract. What they are doing is criminal. My device: use other local suppliers.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

Do not work with Petro Oil company. The company undercharged me for oil then 8 months later emails that I owe them money. I have asked 4 times to speak to a supervisor, no callback. Ridiculous. Then we worked out a payment plan that they agreed to then they did something completely different. Definitely, not working in the best interest of the customer.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

The Petro North Haven CT air conditioning team installed a Trane 4 ton condenser and air handler at my home in Hamden, CT in June 2021. The installation team (two guys) complained the entire time they were working and did a bad job installing my air conditioner. Here's a summary of their failures: They killed the grass in front of my home where they were staging equipment for installation. They broke an existing air conditioner sensor wire (that cost me $150 to fix with my primary HVAC company). They broke a vent bolt head and left it that way, and bent an existing air filter cover. Worst of all they failed the Hamden Building inspection audit. When I called to discuss I was completely ghosted by Patty, the installation coordinator. Four calls. No reply. Bad service from top to bottom. Avoid these clowns. No management oversight or customer service. No idea if they ever completed the required fixes to close my building permit. Avoid!!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I have been with Petro since 2014. Their ethics are questionable since Jan. 2020. The reason I even did the extensive research I did is because I received, for the first time ever, a bill for settlement of $721.49. I have always purchased the budgeted, ceiling plan, knowing that I would pay a bit more for it but willing to for the peace of mind. Below you will find facts, I am very detailed in the event Petro sees this review and feels I am some how unfair when I make my final assumption.

Facts:

1) Never before have I been in the red at settlement time, I had always paid more than I had used.
    2) Prior to 2020 the difference between my price/gal. delivery charge and the state weekly avg. was never > $.53, beginning in Jan. 2020 price/gal. consistently > $.90 over state avg. every delivery.
    3) At the beginning of 2020 Petro made 3 deliveries over a 6 week period 2 in Jan. and 1 in Feb. leading to a total of 4 deliveries for 2020, typically I have 2 except for 2018 when there were 3.
    4) Yes, I worked from home for the majority of 2020, still am. However, I also had someone move out at the beginning of 2020 who had lived and worked from my home so, if anything, I probably ultimately used less.

5) Yes, 2020 was a little colder than 2019 but certainly not colder than every year since 2019 (For a little brevity, I won't list out all the avg. temperatures).

One can only assume that the excessive differential in price/gal. and the ridiculousness of making 3 deliveries in six weeks, is because oil is a global market. Petro was well aware of what was coming around the planet - a pandemic. Rather than risk making deliveries when the market dropped out, when it was uncertain how long it would last, Petro chose to feed off its customers. It's the same drive behind the pricing. Rather than risk losses from lower market oil prices, potential inability of customers to make payments due to job losses, the lowered need for oil by companies due to shutdowns, Petro, a company more than large enough to have well established reserves for a situation like this decided to make a money grab at the expense of their loyal customers. Just be aware of the type of company they are if choosing to do business with them, once my contract expires, I can assure you I am done.

Original review: July 25, 2021

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE PETRO for anything! I have only been in my new home for less than 2 months & they have caused me to be without hot water, unnecessarily, twice now. They tell you a time window when the technician will show up & then they show up hours ahead of schedule & just expect you to be there. They have consistently blamed it on their computers crashing & not being able to access the schedule. It's not true, they just don't care about customer service. I could go into more detail but will run out of space, just save yourself the frustration & don't use them!

Petro Company Information