Petro Oil

New England

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I used Petro Oil for house heating year ago. But they charge me triple price compare with the average market oil price at that time. So I sent them complains and paid the used oil with the market price. When I was away for trip, they hired lawyer, try to force me pay them the unreasonable price. When I back from trip, here is court judge letter -- tell me I lost the case because I fail to show up on the court date, which I never received the date notice at all. This is one of the worst experience in my life. If you do not go through any similar situation, please ---STAY AWAY FROM PETRO OIL!

Do not deal with this company. Two week ago one of their oil delivery trucks hit my neighbors car while it was parked. There were two witnesses. Not only was no note left, after the matter was brought to the company's attention, they denied their truck hit the car and further denied their truck. We had the truck number, was even in the area! Unscrupulous business. You have been warned.

I hope people understand that Petro is a topnotch company. I don't understand all the negative comments. As for me, I have nothing but positive things to say. I called on a 90 degree day to explain our old central air conditioner was not sending in cold air. A technician came the very next day and proclaimed our old ac "done for." We decided we needed a new one for sure.

A salesman, Ken ** came the next day. He was very nice and did not pressure us to buy. That was a Thursday. A new replacement ac was installed in the following Tuesday. The installer fellows were very knowledgeable. One of the fellows was not satisfied with the strength of the air flow so he crawled under the mobilehome and made sure all the fittings were tight. When he left all was perfect. I am 80 years old and cool as a cucumber!!!

YOW! I received a 120 gallon delivery of fuel oil from Petro Home Services (heating oil) on July 3, 2016 to the tune of $3.049 a gallon! This is for fuel oil sold in the off-season month of July! My last delivery from Petro was in March, 2016, for 146.1 gallons at $2.24.9/gallon. While Petro had offered me a fixed price contract in December, 2015, I declined, albeit taking my chances, or as Petro called it "a risk". I willingly paid my bill in March for services (oil delivery) rendered. I was stunned when I received the bill for my July 3rd delivery at $3.049 gallon.

I phoned Petro and complained about what I perceived to be price gouging. I requested a price adjustment of $100. The phone attendant at the other end of the line said that she would adjust my bill for $50. I suggested we meet in the middle at $75. She exclaimed that this was not meeting (her) in the middle, which would, by her math, be $55.00. I told her that I would accept her offer of $50, and that I would be cancelling my automatic delivery with Petro. She then transferred me to "another department". The man at the other end said that he "deals all day with customer complaints", and that Petro charging $3.04/gallon was perfectly within Petro's rights, although an internet ** site quoted a 06/15/16 highest price of of $2.449 by Wesson Oil, a full service company.

The man who deals "with customer complaints all day" stated that since Petro is a large full-service company with much overhead, it had to charge $3.0449/gallon to be viable, and that since I indicated to the first phone contact that I intended to discontinue automatic delivery... I would NOT be receiving a $50 adjustment because that was for a "loyalty" discount! He then proceeded to ameliorate my ire by offering a pricing contract from July through July! Petro would not budge, and neither would I.

I have always paid my oil delivery bill electronically within one week of delivery, so I guess that should make me a "loyal" customer. Not any more! I will not recommend Petro Services for anything from this point on. I think that they excel at bait and switch sales tactics, and that they are masters at double-talk and obfuscation. As far as customer services go, they stink! I know that there are countless other reputable oil service companies out there that would love to have me as a customer... especially one who pays their bills in a timely way. My advice and warning is don't do business with Petro!

I've been with Petro for 3 years I think... The first 2 years pricing didn't seem too bad for a full-service company but this past year I was consistently 40 to 50 cents per gal above my co-workers that had similar plans with other companies. Most recently I was 75 higher than a friend who has a ceiling price like me. I called Petro and was told I paid more because they're a full-service company with more trucks and employees than smaller companies. Today I call Bottini oil - a very large company in my area and their cash price 50 cents less than my last delivery a week and a half ago with Petro. Called them again and they said the same thing - they were far superior to any other company in the industry and they command a higher price... Gouged! Shop around and don't be fooled, they don't offer anything you can't get from a number of delivery and service companies at a much better price. I know I will be going elsewhere... This should be illegal.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petro ?

What a scam. I have a Petro tech come to my house because thermostat wasn't working properly. He came, fixed it. Simple problem. Then sold me on cleaning. Then sold me on safety switch. Then he said "everything is running great!! Have a nice day." Next thing I get a phone call at 7am the very next day in the morning asking if he can come over to check something. I didn't think of anything but my gut said "don't let him back in." So he comes over and he's down there forever. I said "I'm going to step out." My mom was home. He said "no worries. Unit runs great. Just want to show my manager something." Weird. I thought something not right. Then I receive a phone call from him. "Manager was here. You need a new unit."

I said "are you kidding me. You just did all this work. Said it was running perfect - twice." "Yea there's a bad part and we are shutting your heat down. You need new unit." I said "youre a thief trying to sell me a new unit - not hard to figure that out." Then he said "what you say. That's it. I'm shutting your heat down and leaving it apart." Can you imagine this. I call another manager. He couldn't believe it. Said he would call him. Lue was workers name. So the manager got back to me. Said "you need a part. Will come back in the morning with part. Thank you". Can you imagine this scammer. Who knows what he could have done in my house. Don't use Petro. Look at their reviews. Scary.

Consumer Increased Rating!

A manager called me and helped make arrangements to resolve the issue. The company assumed responsibility for the problem which has now been corrected.

P of Ny, NY on

Original Review

I had a problem with the furnace. The tech replaced the control board which worked for few days only. (Note that the part cost $78 and I paid more than $500 for a 10 minute repair.) When they returned for warranty repairs not only they charged for time and material but they claimed that this time it was a faulty thermostat. They tried to sell a $19 thermostat for $175 plus labor. I declined and upon inspecting the control board it was a loose wire. In addition to that, during the initial repair they did not connect the A/C wires. (A/C was working properly prior to replacing the control board.) I asked that they remedied the situation but they said that would cost additional for diagnostic and parts.

Today March 23, 2016, I had a oil delivery and was charged my ceiling rate of $2.649. I called pricing and was told that the average price on Long Island is $2.43. Pricing informed me that "Petro is an above average price company" and to take that price since the price could be higher. Ceiling pricing through Petro eyes is contract price. Go elsewhere for oil needs.

Petro is the absolute worst oil company to do business with. The techs are top notch, however the management is awful. They quoted me a ridiculous ceiling price which DOES NOT GO DOWN with market conditions. They have such tremendous overhead, that they cannot offer you a competitive price on oil. They have a huge workforce & robust advertising campaign that force them to rip off their customers. I was getting oil deliveries in the high 2's close to $3 per gallon. Meanwhile my neighbors were laughing at me a as they were getting oil deliveries @ under $2 a gallon with service contracts. Do yourself a favor. Go with another oil company as Petro is out to rip off their customers.

Called Petro on Saturday informing them we were next to empty. They told me they would get someone out on the next possible delivery. It's now Monday, red line IS on empty, just called them and they said their next possible truck would be in my neighborhood on Tuesday. They stated that I have EMERGENCY COVERAGE so they will come out IF I run out of oil. Shouldn't the Emergency in the contract be to prevent me from running out? I will wait 4 days for an emergency call for oil. Inexcusable..

Received another deliver of oil on 2/20/16. I was charged $2.69 per gallon, which coincidentally is my ceiling price. How can I be charged that much per gallon when other full service dealers are charging 1.79-1.98 per gallon to their customers? It is a ceiling price - not a going forward price. Petro stated that when prices go down, so would the price per gallon. They are taking advantage of the contract. They, however are in violation of their verbal contract. They are not lowering the price as prices decline. I renewed with Petro in September 2015 - prices are lower now!! Initially, Petro wanted to have my ceiling be 3.29 per gallon. I shopped around and Santoro oil quoted a ceiling of $2.69. I called to tell Petro I wasn't renewing and that I was going with Santoro. Petro was TOO quick to say they would match that ceiling price.

A friend called Petro today to inquire about pricing - I listened to the call - 1 year agreement would be a ceiling of $2.01, with a delivery price today of $1.78. A 2 year would be capped at $2.21, with a delivery today price of $1.83 per gallon. I have received 3 credits of $50 when I have called to complain. The most recent credit essentially makes my price per gallon (this delivery) equivalent to $2.40 per gallon - still higher than the average full service dealers (Santoro, Vaughn and Kent County Oil), just to name a few. The verbal agreement is one sided - I was told that Petro would report me cancelling and not paying the $399 early termination fee to the credit bureau. I will have my attorney listen to the verbal agreement recording. Petro is not adhering to their promise of charging me less as prices decline.

In May 2015 I contacted Petro oil services in regards to what type of services they had to offer and oil prices they had. Somewhere along the lines I ended up getting suckered into being told that if I provide my social security number I'll be able to get the best prices available and see if I'm content with those prices before I sign a contract. I agreed to doing so I provided my social security to the sales office. They pulled up my information, saw how good my credit was and gave me some really great prices. In the meantime I told them this was specifically just to inquire about their services on what would be best for my new home. I explained that my husband would be the one to make the final determination on what oil company we ask for services from. I ended the conversation was simply stating that I will get back to them to let them know if we're going to proceed forward or not.

A few hours later I called the company back and told them we are going to hold off for now as my husband is not interested because we found a family friend that is willing to help us with our services. About a month and a half to two months later I received a service contract bill in the mail so I called the company and I explain to them I never had any services with Petro. I simply called to inquire but I never signed on for any services. They proceeded to explain that they understand and that they canceled it out of the system.

A month later I received a cancellation fee and then in November almost 6 months later they proceeded to deliver oil to my home address which was never asked for or even expected. I placed a phone call to Petro immediately after the oil delivery and to my surprise I received a phone call back from the salesman that I spoke to that day in May and he was very rude and scrambling to say that my phone call to them was a verbal authorization to sign on for services.

I have never heard of such a thing, I explained. He stated to me they would pull the recordings and I would be responsible for all the stuff that was billed to date. They have yet to pull any recordings of me ever authorizing anything for Petro oil services. I have reached out to them and told them to stop harassing me. I have showed proof that I never authorized anything. They have yet to come up with anything to show proof that I ordered services but yet they keep sending me a bill in the mail and threatening to send me to collections. This is the biggest scam I have ever had in my life.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Tamar responded and we both came to a mutual agreement, the situation was resolved!

Carol of Bogota, NJ on

Original Review

Have a ceiling plan, delivery on 2/18/16, pricing $2.549/gal. With the price per barrel being $30.75 today even with refining that price should be under $2.00 per gallon! When I complained I was given a discount to $2.379/gal which still is high considering the price per barrel of oil!

Only way to describe this company is 'THIEVES'. Not on N.J. recommended list of oil retailers, and although they will deny it vehemently they do have roughly 5 tiers of pricing for consumers. Once you have been with them a while, watch out, that is when the games begin, with their add-ons and what they try to force down your throat. A few examples: Tank insurance. Most homeowners' policies cover it. Budget Plan. A feel good exercise for them where they jack up your rates year to year and pay no attention to market pricing of oil or their competition. Question them and the answer you get is 'Our service is better'. On what day I ask? Tune-up. A vacuuming out of your oil burner and nothing more that most idiots can do themselves with a Shop-Vac. They claim to inspect everything. Wrong two emergency calls in cold snaps proved that of failed things by them being in and out of my home in under 25 minutes.

And don't dare fall on hard times or become unemployed if you are one of their customers. They harass you nearly constantly and threaten one thing or another. And if they tell you they are canceling your contract, demand it in writing. Charges will continue to be added on until their incompetent staff decides to send the letter out. They are the most horrid company in the state of N.J. behind Comcast. And don't expect a response from anything you post here. A manager I spoke to last year was not even aware of this site. They could care less what the consumer thinks. It is all about them, the almighty dollar, and how much they can charge for however long and get away with it. Thieves and nothing more. Deal with anyone else but these people, not worth it. If anyone ever institutes a class action suit against them, please count me in. Don't deserve to be in business and should come under close state and federal scrutiny.

Been a customer 22 years, have a 24/7 service contract and automatic oil refills. PETRO has raised oil prices recently far in excess of what is reasonable market. Last Friday 02/05/2016, I had no heat, called them up. They showed up 3 hours late. The pressure relief valve needed to be changed. They charged me $241.00, the valve cost $20-25. They charged me $147.00 for the part and $94.00 for labor. Now why they charge $147 for a valve? It cost just $20-25. And what about the service contract they charged me $94.00 for labor? I am with the company for 22 years and have a contract with them. Been loyal to them all these years and they treat me like this. Called to complain, spoke to a supervisor (Ray). His explanation "Prices are what they are." There is no protection for the customer against this type of price gouging. Clearly PETRO should not be considered when deciding on oil providers. They are a ripoff.

Let me start out by stating that I have been a client of Petro Oil since 11/2007 and over the years invested a minimal of $20000 including a new furnace. Over time, what I began to realize was that they were automatically renewing my service contracts and that the rates were going through the roof to a price of $595 in 11/2014. Realizing this, I began to shop around and found that local oil companies were offering the same service for half the price. Petro oil was contacted and it was discussed that they would reduce my rate to the competition in return that I would agree to a automatic delivery that I already was doing.

I had 2 deliveries in March and another in October 2015. The October 15 delivery resulted in only a few gallons of oil delivery. Petro attempted to deliver more oil in December but realized the tank was full again. Afterward, I was contacted by a Petro rep complaining that the fact that the tank was full jeopardized the safety of the driver (vapors could cause explosion?) and that I could incur a delivery fee if it should occur again. Considering this, I advised them that I had not turned on the furnace yet and that if you were concerned about driver safety, you should call first before making delivery.

In January, I received a call from Petro stating that I was being charged a early termination fee $399 for canceling my automatic delivery agreement. I advise them that I did not cancel my agreement and December was the warmest on record and little oil was being used. They didn't seem to recollect or care about our earlier conversation and continue to call me and request payment. Since then, I have had numerous communications with them requesting documentation and copies of phone conversation to support their claim. They cannot provide any documentation and state that I verbally committed to the agreement back in February 2015. Do your homework before you consider Petro for your service. Based on other reviews here, there seems to be a lot of discontent amongst customers with similar stories.

They are supposed to monitor your oil level and deliver on time so you don't have to be in cold. But it rarely happens, you have to call them each time when you need oil if you don't want to run out of oil and heat. And they are always busy and will deliver whenever they get to you. I would not recommend them, I am changing to a smaller company.

Just charged 2.82 for gallon of oil. I signed up for ceiling price. First delivery cap reached. Price should have been .50 less per gallon. Called and complained, said why we going straight to cap? Price is supposed to go down when market price does. Someone was supposed to call but never did. I'm through with them and would do class action suit should other customers initiate it.

My prior review warned people that Petro was not lowering delivery prices significantly below my ceiling price in my contract despite major drop in wholesale prices. Don't know what they are doing this year, since I dumped them. I switched to a smaller (multi-location), 70-year-old full-service company in Western CT. They seem to understand what a ceiling price means. I was quoted a ceiling of 2.35 in early Nov with an annual fee of $99. They came out to verify my equipment and tank and officially set up my account and lowered the ceiling to 2.28. I have received two deliveries, the most recent was at 1.98. Their price drop was consistent with wholesale price drops. I would expect my next delivery to drop at least another 10 cents. My current contract also gives a 5 cent discount off of standard delivery price and a promotional 2 yrs of service for 1 yr payment. If you are dealing with Petro BEWARE.

I too like everyone it seems got the bait and switch price ceiling plan by Petro. When I signed up for the plan, the ceiling price (after initially being offered over $3 per gallon in the fall) was given to me at 2.69 per gallon. The fill price under the plan I was told was $2.39 per gallon but if prices dropped then I would drop as well. As we all know oil prices dropped close to 25% since I signed up for the plan. My next delivery a few days ago instead at a lower price was at the ceiling price of $2.69 per gallon. So the price of heating oil everyone goes down and Petro's price goes up way higher.

The ceiling plan is really just a bait and switch and is in their eyes a fixed rate plan. They will tell you how low their price is when you sign up and then when you get a delivery they go right to the ceiling price and rip you off. IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN STARTING A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT for BAIT and SWITCH practices that they employ I and probably tens of thousands others are ready to go. They have been doing this for years. Offer a ceiling plan where your price is supposed to drop when prices decrease and then deliver at the ceiling price no matter if the price of heating oil everywhere has dropped by half.

Under a price protection plan of a max of $3.10 but no limit on how low it can go. Was charged 2.88 2 months ago and yesterday 3.04. For new clients, Petro was charging $1.73 today. Also complained on the $2.88. Talked to a supervisor and she was talking in circles. No relief. Unreal. Greedy company under the umbrella of a conglomerate, which owns also a ton of other heating oil companies - imagine the buying power of so many, has no shame. Do not recommend it.\

Updated on 1/19/2016: Problem with Petro has been resolved. After 2 strong complaint calls, was called back and management resolved my issue. Recommend being persistent. Happy now.

Knowing oil was going down sharply 6 months ago, I asked Petro if the lower price on oil would be reflected in my next oil delivery. They signed us up on their ceiling contract. Well 12/22/15 they deliver oil, charging $3.09. I called Petro and found their current price was $1.79. I called Petro to get an answer. After being passed around from Luke, Paul, forgot the 3rd person, finally a supervisor - DANA. She said after my rank, she said she would call me right back. I am still waiting after two days. No call.

I call back and Ceryll said DANA was not at her desk, but she would leave a message to call me back. No call. We have used Petro for over 24 years. They treat us like they don't know us. I always heard the negative, that long term customers suffer for being loyal. They get shafted. I am cancelling Petro and spreading the news. They are terrible. Petro is not out to give honest, ethical service. They are out to make as much money as they can. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME.

I bought our house in 2013 and had a recommendation from the previous owners for Petro with a coupon for $100 off... Figured why not at the time. First year was ok. No big issues. Service plan was sold to me for $167 and the oil price was comparable locally, second year price of oil was reasonable but they hit me with both a increase in the service plan to $247 explained as I received a discount for the first year - though I never heard such when sold the plan originally but ok and a huge initial oil delivery price $1 over locally which they said was due to last year's contract? Though the price was suppose to fluctuate with the market but had a ceiling... I didn't renew the contract and the price stayed comparable locally...

Now this year and the final straw, I was talked into a contract for oil in April when prices were low under 2.50 and figured I'd go with the ceiling plan just in case. So now my first delivery $3 a gallon WTF!? They can't BS that one past me, there's no logic there, and to add insult to injury they raised my service plan again to $327.85!? I called and asked about it especially because they added additional zone coverage which I don't need because I don't have that equipment to cover when I was then told that I was still receiving a discount because even with that part removed the plan would be over $500?! As soon as my contract is up in April I'm sending letters, return receipt and I'm done with the company forever. They offer no way to track and compare their pricing for anything. I'm reporting them to my local consumer affairs here in NJ as well as the local department of weights and measures and I recommend everyone else do the same.

I was told on a "tune up" visit that I needed the coil to be cleaned. I made an appointment and a service person came out to do the work. After approximately an hour, he said it was not possible to clean the coil and it needed to be replaced. They told me it would be approximately $850.00. I did not have the money at the time but was told I still had some time to decide what to do. They charged me $350.00 for this service call! When I called they told me that was the charge and it would be applied to the charge when if I purchased a coil from them in the future. I called to inquire about the cost of the coil. I was told $850.00 and that I could not apply the $350.00 charge because it was 6 months earlier. After requesting the name of the CEO they decided to give me the credit, however, the cost was $1200.00 and the $350.00 was already deducted with the original quote.

The supervisor was too busy to come to the phone and after 50 min I was conveniently disconnected. I called back and I was on hold again as they "searched" for a means of reaching the company CEO. This is not the only problem. After paying over $500.00 for a service plan that covers almost nothing I called for the covered tune up for my furnace. I was told in September that the next available appointment would be in January! I am now going to investigate this oil pricing plan. This is also questionable and more so as I read the reviews. I'm now looking for another oil company and someone to replace my coil. I was also reminded by the technician that even though the coil is attached to the furnace and they have been servicing my furnace for 15 years they do not check it and never would mention the need to care for it. Just amazing!!!

DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT WITH PETRO OIL!!! You will pay double for your heating oil. Do not be fooled by Petro's ceiling price protection. You will pay ceiling price regardless of market fluctuations. Oil prices in August 2015, $1.80. Petro charged me $3.30. Bait and switch is their policy. Their service contract that I paid $325.00 was honored only after I paid a plumber to diagnose the problem. They sent two technicians who mysteriously found no issues. The fact that this company has not been investigated by the Utilities Commission is shocking.

Petro delivery driver just backed over the corner of my neighbor's yard. I was out on my deck watching him doing it. When the driver saw me standing out there he raised his hands as if to ask what my problem was. I said, "You ran over my neighbor's yard." He said he did not and I should go back in my house. I said, "Yes you did, I just watched you do it." He said I should just go back inside my house. I said, "How about I call your company?" He said, "Go ahead, you already did when the trees were down." I had no idea this was the same driver who ran over MY property shortly after the storm of Oct. of 2011. At that time my neighbor and I watched him cut off a 2 foot section of my property right in front of us. It was pure carelessness. Just like today's incident.

After the 2011 incident I called Petro and requested a manager or supervisor get back to me. Never happened. So, a week later I went to the police dept. to inquire about what I should do. An officer called Petro and explained the situation and was promised that someone in the company would be in touch with me in the spring to discuss repairing my property. The officer also documented the call and told me to follow up with the police if I was not contacted. Well it never happened and foolishly I let it slide. I am not a Petro customer. Unfortunately, one of my neighbors is. After reading these reviews and dealing with their driver and customer service I can't understand why anyone would be.

I signed a contract and capped my oil to 3.10 as the highest, my oil bill would be a galleon. But was told if the price is lower, I would be charged a lower price. So, I called to find out the cost of oil and was told 2.79.9. When I spoke to other people who just received their deliveries, they paid 1.99 and 2.21. I called Petro and advised them and they said this was the going rate. I could sign on to the government's website for the rate. So I did and the rate was 2.55. I called back and they didn't care. I am very unhappy with this company. Castle oil was so much better. I wish they didn't sell their business to these crooks. I have learned now the worst thing to do is sign a contract because once you do, they take advantage. Something should be done to regulate these companies - it's just not fair. Last year oil was higher and I paid 2.55. I would never recommend this company.

We agreed to a $7700 replacement of our air conditioning unit to include any electrical work necessary. They hooked up a 240V AC to a 120V line, gave us no instructions and ran out the door. The system ran for a few hours causing who knows what kind of damage and then shut down. We had to hound them to get someone out to fix this including my having to stay home from work which cost me hundreds of dollars while waiting in a 90 degree plus house.

The technician they sent forced it to kick in without realizing the voltage issue and left. A few hours later it shut down again after who knows how much more damage. More hounding and loss of work hours sitting in a hot house to get another technician. This guy figured out the issue and was flabbergasted that their installers had screwed up this badly. So now it works but I have to wonder if it is internally damaged from being hooked to a 120 line for days. We received no apology or follow-up of any kind from management and are still trying to figure out the complex controls. These guys are absolute jerks.

When I moved out of my apartment I was require to fill my oil tank, I had used Petro in the past and they were too high priced. So I contact a different oil company to fill my tank; when the truck arrived to fill the tank they called me and informed me that my tank had already been filled. I do not know if this was mistake or if someone else called but I did not request oil from Petro. When I called they informed me that I still had to pay. I called many times and was informed by the lady on the phone that it was not their problem and to talk to their lawyer because I was refusing to pay for something I did not request.

I contact their lawyer and was told it was not his problem and there was nothing he could do for me. They have taken me to court on two occasion, have gone after my child support, threaten my pay check. I tried to pay the bill but I am a single mother of two and barely make ends meet. I was also told by Petro when I first contact them; when I moved in that they would have to charge me a higher rate because I was a new customer.

We, along with any others, locked into a fairly high capped rate plan and when the prices dropped the prices remained the same or only very slightly lower. When I spoke to a customer service representative they offered no compensation or explanation. Very disappointed.

Petro Oil Company Profile