2. Homeowners

New England

4.0/5 (255 ratings)

About Petro

Petro Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petro?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petro?

Original review: March 9, 2021

Just got a delivery of oil for 40% more than the state average and 75% more than the local spot price. Since then, I've spent an hour on hold and been summarily ignored except to be told that their incredible service means their prices may be a bit higher. Evidence of this incredible service? The above mentioned being ignored on this issue and being made to wait 5+ months for my annual equipment checkup. This company should be prosecuted.

Resolution response: Feb. 25, 2021

My local Petro rep contacted me and apologized for the issues I've been having with the customer team in the NJ office. The rep immediately resolved the dispute and the charge was taken off my account. Thank you so much for taking the time to understand the situation and making me feel appreciated as a new customer!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I have been a Petro Gas customer for less than a month after buying a new home and I have already had the worst experience. The safety check for our tank was a mess and they tried to charge us a couple hundred dollars to move the tank when it was perfectly fine where it was. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and followed through with the second safety check. That went fine and the tank was filled a few days after that. I paid the invoice promptly and we thought we were all set. A few days after that another charge for $200+ dollars showed up on our account. They said this was for gas in the tank that was paid for by the previous homeowners. I spoke to the previous owners and they never received a refund for this charge and when I signed up as a new customer they never told me that we were responsible for the gas that was already in the tank.

Right now they are trying to double charge us which is horrible business practice, and trying to handle this with customer service has been an absolute nightmare. They are also telling me that I have to work this out with the old homeowners (which I already did) and tell them to call Petro Gas to resolve this. How this has become my job is beyond me. I wouldn't waste your time signing up with this company. Their level of concern for customers is low and their business practices are fishy.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

I understand the desire to make a profit, but keep it realistic at least. Been a Petro customer for a couple years now and I knew their oil prices were on the high end, but the last couple of deliveries have been staggering. Normally our deliveries have shown up when our tank gets to half full, the last couple have been delayed till down to a quarter or less...thus requiring more oil to be delivered. Our delivery today of 196.8 gallons at a price of $3.639 for a total of $716.16 is excessive to say the least. When price checked against say Charlton Oil at just $1.96 a gallon that is less than $400. We will not be renewing our contract that ends next month, tired of paying for over-priced oil.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

Had oil delivered today at a full dollar over going rate. They will charge you max going rate the whole time just because as they said "we are different than other companies so we can charge more." No offer of lowering the price. Will NEVER do business with them again.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

Petro Oil (Maryland) has been a lesson in the fine art of frustration. They end every call with "Remember we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week." Well it took two and a half weeks to come a work on my furnace (and we have a service contract with them!). They sent a technician not once, but twice who didn't have the correct parts, even though the first technician sent detailed notes about what was needed. They cancelled their service call three separate days. Finally it was repaired and the repair man had to google research (which I am guessing I was billed for time he spent in research because he didn't know how to do his job) how to connect to our Nest (only after stating originally he thought they were not compatible and we would have to get a new system).

Next I get an outrageous bill for them with just a total amount - no break down of where the costs come from (i.e. parts vs. service). I have called three times trying, in vain, to speak with a service manager or a field service supervisor. They cannot be reached and leave notes in my file that they've reached out to me, but mysteriously I have no calls at all on my phone that indicate this. Who is their boss? Do the supervisors have a supervisor I can speak with? "Not to my knowledge." So, I cannot even talk with someone beyond the supervisor who can actually help me. Hence my summary ~ considering Petro - RUN, run away!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I cancelled my contract with this greedy company. The fee to do so is three hundred ninety nine dollars. It's worth it. I'll save at least one thousand dollars this year. They give a ceiling price but that is the actual price they charge. The last fill up was one dollar twenty cents a gallon more than elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

We have been with Petro since we first purchased our home almost 4 years ago. But I won’t be renewing my contract with them. All those people that say call people fools for using Petro are right. The contract is only good for tune ups and those appointments need to be booked at least a month or 2 in advance. The emergency repairs are useless. My furnace had issues two years ago and Petro took so long to send someone that my pipes burst. Cost me thousands in repairs.

The final straw was the most recent delivery. Oil prices have dropped dramatically since the Covid pandemic. My delivery in November 2020 was $2.95 per gallon. Every other oil delivery company is charging around $1.45. My bill was $750 when it should have been half that. Everyone is having a rough time financially and otherwise right now. But not Petro. They’re profiting off the low oil prices and could care less about their customers. Anyone thinking about signing a contract with Petro should think twice!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

Just received my first refill the year. Got charged 2.05 a gallon. A quick google search shows that the rate for most oil companies today is about $1.44 a gallon. That's a huge overcharge. I will be cancelling as soon as the contract expires. What they are doing is criminal. I'd strongly advise to use a local provider to save literal hundreds of dollars a month. I havent called to address this yet, but reading other reviews I doubt it will make a difference.

Petro response

Hi- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please call our Customer Service Manager, Catherine, at 800.645.4328. Thank you very much. Petro Home Services

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

For 40 years I stuck with these folks. Service wasn't always reliable. I paid a lot over the years for 24/7 service, but pretty much never needed it. So now my heat is out. I just end up in an endless phone chain. They really should have a dedicated line for contract owners. This is false advertising. If only I could have all those big 24/7 contract payments back!

Petro response

Hi Frank, we understand that Sean was able to connect with you regarding your concerns. We do appreciate your loyalty and are very happy that the situation has been addressed. Don't hesitate to reach out to us should you have any further questions. Regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

My contract for the Ceiling Plan is renewing at the end of September. In the middle of August I started receiving calls from Petro to renew my plan and the first offer they put on the table, which was claimed to be their absolute best rate, was $3.65/gallon ceiling with a first delivery price of $3.25/gallon. As a point of reference, non-contract cash delivery price from other competitive oil companies in the area was $1.60 /gallon at the time. I'm aware of the game Petro plays and told them the rate was too high and to call back when they had a better offer. The following break down is when I spoke to Petro and the offers they made, keeping in mind that every offer was the 'absolute lowest they can go':

- 8/20/2020 First offer $3.65 ceiling w/ $3.25 first delivery. By end of call they were down to $3.09 ceiling w/ $2.89 first delivery
    - 8/26/2020 First offer $2.89 ceiling w/ $2.65 first delivery. By end of call they were down to $2.59 ceiling w/ $2.36 first delivery and $50 loyalty credit

- 8/28/2020 Final offer $2.39 ceiling w/ $1.89 first delivery and $50 loyalty credit.

On the 8/26/2020 call the representative was getting frustrated with me continuing to state that they can bring the price lower. I assume the speech she gave me was scripted to make the customer feel like Petro actually cares, stating she understands these are hard economic times for everyone and Petro is doing everything they can to help their customers and this is the lowest price they can go. I again told her to bring the price lower. Two days later the call was from a different Petro group called the Loyalty Work Group II who brought the price even lower.

On 9/1/2020 I thought I had reached a point where they potentially wouldn't go any lower and requested a call to renew the contract. Upon reading me the terms of the contract, which I was required to verbally agree to, the Loyalty Work Group agent told me the ceiling price of $2.39/gallon, $50 loyalty credit and a first delivery of $1.99/gallon. I told her to stop reading the offer terms. She had increased the price of the first delivery by $0.10/gallon when the market cash rate had actually dropped to $1.55/gallon. It occurred to me that no matter what the market does, Petro will immediately raise my price per gallon to the ceiling after my first delivery no matter what prices are in the market.

Petro is dishonest, greedy, unethical, deceitful and does not care about you or any of its customers. It is a money making machine and will do whatever it takes to lock you in to unreasonably high pricing. Buyer beware, they have a great legal team who has ensured their terms and conditions keep them from following any market pricing due to 'operating costs' and they will charge you as much as they possibly can no matter what the market does. I will be shopping elsewhere for my oil and I hope you do too.

Petro Company Information