2. Homeowners

New England

4.0/5 (255 ratings)

About Petro

Petro Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petro?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petro?

Original review: May 18, 2020

I was upset for not having my delivery on time but the customer service representative was very pleasant with me and immediately contact delivery for me and even sent an email as well. Less than 5 minutes I received a called from Sean the Manager and he made all my worries go away just like that. I felt so much better and happier o? when I heard his voice. Less than 45 minutes he sent Melvin a technician who was awesome in getting my hot water and stove to work again. He has such good customer service and his work is excellent. Thank you Sean and Melvin!!!

Original review: May 3, 2020

I have never seen a company receive so many poor reviews. My friend and neighbor got a oil delivery today and paid the spot price of $1.07 a gallon. I called Petro and was told the price I am paying is $2.39 per gallon.

Petro response

Brian- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We pride ourselves on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please message us privately with a direct phone number where you can be reached. Best, Petro Home Services

Original review: March 22, 2020

Petro delivered oil to my residence in East Greenwich, RI on March 18th 2020 at $2.799 a gallon without me requesting it. This was the day when the oil prices were at a historic low and the average cash price of heating oil on this day was around 1.65. When contacted, they responded that their oil prices fluctuate a lot and the price on that day was the correct price. When I told them that the lowest cash price on this day was 1.35 and the next highest price was 2.15, they told me that they offer superior service and that's why they charge a premium price. I am aware they always charge more than other local suppliers, but charging 50-100% than the other suppliers is just not fair.

These are tough times when the economy is tanking and hundreds of thousand of people are losing their jobs because of Covid19, but Petro doesn't care. It delivers oil (when you have not requested a delivery) at unfair prices just because they know you will do the right thing and pay your bills. I don't want this to happen to others like me. Is there a grievance redressal body I can report this to and stop this from happening again?

Original review: March 2, 2020

Petro allowed an account to be opened in my name for home oil without my knowledge or permission. I found out about the account being opened only after I got a notice from Transunion that a hard inquiry was made on my credit account. When I called Transunion and told them I did not authorize this, I was told to contact Petro and if necessary to file a report with the police. I was also told that to get the hard inquiry removed from my credit report, Petro would have to supply a letter acknowledging that they made a mistake.

I found out from Petro that the account was opened by a male (I am female) over the phone -- no one had the sense to ask to speak to me to get my permission, they were too interested in selling an oil contract to care if this was ethical! I immediately told them to close the account and to feel free to siphon any oil out of the tank they delivered. They chose not to do this and harass me! It took months of phone calls back and forth with Petro, a lot of misinformation that thankfully Transunion representatives helped me with, until I finally got a letter from Petro acknowledging that this account was opened without my knowledge.

This letter was submitted to Transunion, the hard inquiry was removed from my account and there is NO RECORD OF PETRO on my credit report as a creditor! However, Petro has bombarded me with bills over and over. I have called on numerous occasions to ask them to leave me alone, that I am not responsible for the account, it was their negligence and they need to straighten out their salesperson! I am now in receipt of a lawyer collection letter for this money. I just spent time AGAIN explaining what has happened. This has been dragging on for a YEAR!! BEWARE of PETRO!!!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I bought a service contract which included cleaning the boiler, but they are too busy to get to me until March at the end of the season.. So I terminated service with Petro about a month ago. I just received a bill today for $501.62 for a renewal of the service contract for another year… on the top of the bill it says, "Important message: we have discontinued fuel deliver and services!" I spoke with Linda today at Petro. She said nothing she can do.. They are morons!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

By far the worst company I have ever dealt with. My oil tank cracked when Petro did a full delivery. When I got home I noticed the small leak. I called Petro and a tech came out and put a temp. patch to hold until the other technicians come and empty the tank and install a temporary tank outside. At this point it's getting late in the night and this is all occurring.

When the other technicians finally arrive the original tech leaves. The two technicians then do their work and then come to us barely speaking English and tell us that they can't get our boiler to stop and that I will need to contact Petro. I questioned them because I assumed they were from Petro. I then I had to call Petro and tell them what happened. Petro had no idea who they sent to my house and they asked me if I got their name from their sweatshirts. I didnt think I needed to do that because I trusted that they were Petro. Then another technician had to come back and get the work done and that technician stated that he couldnt believe the work they did because it wasnt done well and the fix was simple.

At this point all technicians have left and we had the temp tank working and heat and hot water back. At no time did anyone tell us about any changes due to safety or delivery stops. I called because I noticed we were low on oil and I've been paying my monthly delivery and they told me that the automatic delivery didnt apply to the temp tank. Wouldnt that have been nice to know. They then delivered 10gl which only lasted a few days. I called and they delivered 10 gl once more.

At this point it was Christmas time. I called them again and let them know my husband was away and I had a toddler at home and they said they can no longer deliver oil until we purchased a new tank. At no point were we given a time frame or told about the safety hazard. We had to move out of the house for a few weeks until we came up with a plan and ended up converting our house to gas. I called Petro to cancel our contract and tell them that their service was terrible and they didnt help me at all. All the supervisor kept telling me was that she couldnt imagine that no one would tell me that it's unsafe. After all of that they are still charging me $400 for cancelling the contract. DO NOT GO TO PETRO!!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I warned Petro months that I may be moving and asked them not to add oil without checking with me prior. They said they will add this note to the account. So, with two week left in my rental lease they fill up my tank costing $700. When I called Petro said they fill oil tanks but refuse to pump out their oil, it's a "policy". They are able to pump out oil and do so when a house has sold to measure the amount but won't for a renter, wonder why? It's impossible for me to pay for something I am not using.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

We used Petro for a year but since this is the first time we’ve owned a home with oil heating, I wanted to explore other companies to determine that the price is fair. The cost was a lot and our usage stemmed to be a lot, and we have no barometer to compare services. I had one last service with Petro at the beginning of winter before my contract expired, then called and canceled. Customer service was nice, and I was all set. Then about a couple weeks later, I received a bill tied to my last fill up with a renewal fee. I called again to confirm I canceled, and was transferred to the same sales manager where she confirmed, "Oh sorry..yes, we have canceled and they’ll remove that charge. So sorry."

Weeks later, I receive a letter that since I haven’t renewed, they will be putting me on a variable plan (indicating essential I still haven’t canceled). I have to call again and get transferred to the same person who tries to tell me it’s an automated letter and not manual, and so sorry about that. What difference does it make if it’s automated or manual? It’s a letter coming from petro that indicates the status of my account regardless. Throughout this, I’ve yet to receive a notice by email or mail indicating I’ve canceled- despite asking for it; yet, I’ve received notices and emails about continued services, invoices, happy holidays, etc.

I also can’t find anything on the website allowing me to submit a complaint or my intentions to stop services in writing. It all has to be by phone; hence, my writing this on Consumer Affairs to try to document this. It all just doesn’t seem right, which honestly has turned me off with this company and makes me not want to do business with them. We are still in the market and haven’t settled on a new company, but this behavior is disconcerting to us.

Petro response

Anna-We understand that our Customer Service Department was able to connect with you regarding your concerns. We do appreciate your loyalty and are very happy that the situation has been addressed. Don't hesitate to reach out to us should you have any further questions. Regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Very hard to get away from them. They know they got you if you have an old burner. Where are you going to go to get a good contract? The little guys are awful. I tried them. I've been there. The little guys demand you pay your bill asap pretty much before your next order. Don't have the money? Too bad. The service contracts with the small companies are awful too. Funny how nothing ever seems to be covered. That is the good thing about Petro. Their premier service contract is really very good. Everything always seems to be covered. I never had a dispute with it. Yes, their prices are high. If you are looking for prices of COD oil you are not going to get it. The small companies are just as bad. Sadly, if you can get a decent prices like maybe 2.99-3.29 per gallon with Petro, I'd grab it unless you want to freeze if your boiler breaks down.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

This company is about as dishonest as they come. They continually deliver oil at the peak prices and refuse to give me any sort of warning. I will be contacting BBB and possibly taking them to small claims. They charge, on average, $1.50 per gallon MORE than the local cash delivery place. This is a TERRIBLE business. Avoid at all costs.

Petro response

Kevin- We understand that our Customer Service Department was able to connect with you in resolving your concerns. We do appreciate your loyalty and are very happy that the situation has been addressed. Don't hesitate to reach out to us should you have any further questions. Regards, Petro Home Services

Petro Company Information