1.47/5

Need a utility company?

New England

Need a utility company?

394 Petro Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 8, 2019

Oil prices are extremely high. Do your research before you sign with them. I am a new homeowner first time buying oil. I did not research. Signed up with them. Got my first delivery. Bill was left outside in the rain all day. Did not receive anymore bills from them. Tried calling. Got it paid then received a bill for a cancellation charge of $400 or was told I could save that by resigning up with a $500 fee. Terrible company. Go local. Will be treated better and save money. Prices were about 0.40 cents cheaper per gallon.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Petro Home Services is a a TERRIBLE company. They called me in February and worked out with me that if I paid 36 bucks more a month then I wouldn’t have a balloon payment at the end. THEN they slipped in an extra delivery just to really screw me, and now the balloon payment is even HIGHER than it would have been. These ** oil companies are crooks! To make things worse, you try to talk to other oil companies before your contract is up and THEY’RE ALL OWNED BY THE SAME COMPANY AND WON'T EVEN TALK TO YOU!!!

Original review: April 26, 2019

First of all they have an "Early Termination Fee"... which is really an extortionist means of intimidation. They experience no losses, material or otherwise. This is a means by which they feel that they can keep the normally timid masses under their heel. They tout themselves as a "full service company". That they are. They service your wallet and not much else to the benefit of the customers... except charging them $0.40 more per gallon than any other of the local firms. They did "pack" my tank at the end of the heating season. Knowing that my money has been "tanked" by the driver that refuses to obey a sign not to fill more than 50 gallons. Serviced again.

They threaten to charge me their infamous "Early termination Fee". Whoopee. This "full service" company then informed me that they were going to cancel my furnace service contract, which was paid in full, and appointment made. I wonder if the word fraud or receiving moneys through deception rings a bell with them. They don't realize that all contracts are separate and several. So much for their unilateral cancellation attempts. So far, I have bills that are with and without the ETF. Retired with time and money.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Stay clear of this company! They use bait and switch tactics. And rip you off. They will tell you one thing yet do another. And then tell you to pay more money. They need to be investigated as I am not the only one with accusations like these.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I bought a house in Ct and had oil heat for the first time. I used Petro because they were the most recognizable name. I was under contract for the first season but did not renew. Since I had now been living in the area for over a year I decided to explore some of the local oil service providers. Well before the next winter Petro made a delivery to me (despite not renewing my contract) and charged a price that was just about double everyone else. When I called them they offered discounts based on renewing my contract and staying with them another year. If I did not renew the excessive rate they charged would not be negotiated. I signed with someone else for significantly less and personal courteous service. At a time when heating costs are a significant part of everyone's overall expenses and when every dollar counts, it is disappointing that a company would use such tactics to retain business and intimidate customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petro?

Original review: March 29, 2019

I have been a customer for a few years now. If you are looking for a Company with helpful nice technicians to meet your heating and cooling needs Petro has them. BUT! attached to them is the most incompetent, inadequate, subpar and the most archaic systems for billing and delivery around. You want all this baggage, so you must love frustration, then Petro is definitely for you! If I could I would give them zero stars. This company cares a lot about making money and not about their customers!

For two years in a row Petro decided to stop taking auto-deductions from my account due to a computer "glitch" and caused me to have a large outstanding balance at the end of their calendar year. Last year they reduced my auto deductions due to an "anomaly in their system" and even though I sent a strongly worded email never to do this again. Petro went back to the normal withdrawal but reverted to withdrawing less money once again. All these mistakes led to another outstanding balance.

This winter Petro decided not to give me my normal oil drop around mid February, and my tank went dry yesterday. My last drop was December 7th and I wasn't scheduled until April 23rd. So when I called to ask why they canceled my drop in February I was told the computer showed I still had 125 gallons left in my tank. My reply was "I don't have volumetric smart sensor on my tank. So why is this stated on your system?" I got silence on the phone. They could not drop off oil off yesterday because they were busy and the rep I talked to could care less about my plight. When the tech came he could only give me less than 10 gallons bc that was all he had in the truck, so I went out and bought 11 gallons more to last me through the this morning.

The other 2 major oil companies in my area are either the same or worse than Petro according to other friends and neighbors who use these companies. You will be dancing with the Devil if you sign with Petro, and you will eventually get burned. If you sign with Petro be prepared to write down names, times and reasons why you call their 800 number seeking help! All the best in search for a competent company. If you find one please let me know!

Original review: March 25, 2019

I would love to give zero stars but I have to give one it says. I am supposed to be locked in and a set rate per gallon but the last time Petro filled my tank they charged me almost $4 a gallon. I received a bill for $700 and the receipt also stated they had to make a double fill. I only have one tank and was not empty when they can because they came a couple of months prior. I have never paid that much for my tank to be filled and when I called to question it they said we cannot do anything about it. You owe the money and the double fill. They said they go off what the machine prints out for the receipt. I know I was scammed but they are refusing to look Into. I have been a customer for 7 years and all of a sudden I am having nothing but trouble with Petro and overcharging my acct.

Petro response

Colleen- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you, please message us privately with a direct phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch with you shortly. Regards Petro Home Services

Original review: March 24, 2019

Do yourself a favor. Don’t do automatic deliveries. They’ll charge you the top price of heating oil no matter what. It could be 1.59, and they’d charge you 3.69. Place is a rip off. After 3 deliveries, $2500 bill. $800 to not even fill my tank? **. Stay away. Stay faaarrrr away. I’m putting a lock on my tank to keep these criminals out of it. Petro Home Services is complete rip off. Your warning is here. I hate reviews but damn if they don’t rip people off.

Petro response

Zack- thank you for reaching out to us. We are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction. Petro prides itself on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you and prove to you that we would love to earn your business. Please reach out directly to our Customer Service Manager, Rich. Looking forward to speaking with you. Regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: March 21, 2019

Updated on 5/20/2019: Months have gone by, and I still receive weekly calls from Petro telling me about the balance on my account, even though I explain the situation to them each time. They've made no attempt to rectify the situation, however are still holding me accountable for the oil delivered when I had been out of the house for over 5 months. One week an employee even told me that if I submitted paperwork proving that I was no longer living in the house at the time of delivery that they would reallocate the charges as necessary. I've done this and Petro will not honor this.

Original Review: I was renting a place and tried to cancel automatic deliveries in May. They told me that I couldn't cancel, but only freeze the account. I moved out of the rental in September, and they delivered in January and charged the bill to my account, even though there were new tenants in the house. Now I'm stuck with a 600$ bill that no one else will take responsibility for.

Petro response

Daniel- thank you for reaching out to us. We are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction. Petro prides itself on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you and prove to you that we would love to earn your business. Please message us privately with a direct phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch with you shortly. Regards Petro Home Services

Original review: March 20, 2019

Always trying to get money out of me. Everytime. This last instance is for my fireplace. Petro never delivered even though I had a contract with them. It took 2 weeks and my propane tank ran dry. When he did show he filled it and blew out my lines which with the amount of pressure he used blew out my pilot and my valve. He could not fix it so I had a company come in that could. The company suggested a new regulator was needed on the propane tank that BELONGS to Petro. I called and was told there would be no charge because it was THEIR regulator. 2 weeks later I get a bill for 119.49 for a diagnostic fee. These people are thieves.

Petro response

Jennifer- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you, please message us privately with a direct phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch with you shortly. Regards Petro Home Services

Petro Company Information