2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

New England

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.43/5

Petro Reviews

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I started out really liking this company. They had a good offer to lure you in for $100 off and I took the bait. Please be aware of their prices. I know the price of oil changes day to day but when I signed up for automatic delivery they took advantage of me and charged me over $4 per gallon. (The next highest was $2.99.) Highway robbery! When you call in to complain they send you to the retention department and try to get you into another contract for way more money per gallon than any other company I researched. I cancelled my service with Petro and went with another provider and could not be happier.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

The reason why this company has such a poor reputation with so many customers is simple...They will rob you blind. With Petro, you will pay hundreds & hundreds & hundreds of dollars more than the customers of an average competitor, for the same exact thing. Unfortunately it is not only their outrageous prices that make them such a poorly rated company, it's also the way they do business.

For example, Petro offers an "Automatic Oil Delivery" contract, in which they lock you in at a capped price for a couple of years. They assure you that your price per gallon will never exceed that price. Even better is that they promise you will pay the lower price, if the market drops and oil is currently selling for cheaper. To most, this sounds like a win win. Unfortunately, Petro will ALWAYS tell you that the current price for their oil is higher than your locked in rate. Even if every other company in your area is charging $1.99 less per gallon. The most pathetic part is that when you bring this to their attention. They feed you some line about how their services and oil is so superior, that paying $200 more per delivery is to be expected.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

We had Petro oil burner service and oil delivery for 20 years. The people that we bought the house from were using them and we continued. The service was good as far as delivery of oil and burner service. Recently I retired and was looking for ways to save money. I looked up what the current average oil price was and I called Petro to see what they were charging and it turned out to be over a dollar more per gallon than the current average price. I called and asked them if they could please bring the price somewhere in line with the current average. The lady said she would look into it and call back tomorrow. She never called back.

Over the next few days I shopped for a different company and I found one that was well rated and with a good price. I told the new company to start to deliver oil. I called Petro to discontinue delivery and oil burner service. Then the Petro lady had all sorts of deals to retain customers. Even then the price wasn't competitive. I've been using the new company for 6 months and have been very happy. Save yourself money and do not use Petro.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

Thinking of signing up with Petro for fuel oil delivery? Think again and proceed with caution. Their contracts “protecting” you from high fuel prices in fact guarantee you WILL pay high prices. Commit to a price cap and you’ll soon find, as I did, that you are paying 60 cents, 90 cents even over $1.50 a gallon more than the average market price for oil. It seems even when average fuel prices are low, Petro prices their oil just under the cap you have agreed to.

Each time I received a delivery during the past heating season and found the per gallon price to be significantly higher than those shown on the Connecticut State DEEP list of Connecticut Regional Retail Heating Oil Prices I called Petro to ask if there had been a pricing error. I was told Petro is a large, high quality, full service company and therefore worth the extra cost. Petro is NOT that special, oh and their service contract prices are exorbitant too. My advice, shop elsewhere, it is easy to find better value for oil and service.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Updated on 11/15/2019: I spoke with the manager here in Connecticut and he informs me that I am paying an increased price (.70-$1.00 a gallon more) well above what other companies in my area charge based on the following facts (his facts):

1. Petro is a big company and has high overhead and therefore must cover those costs.
        2. Petro offers a multitude of service plans and this makes my costs higher even though my unit is new and I do not subscribe to any of their service plans. I only ask that they deliver oil to my home at the market rate as they promised. Let the people who pay extra for the service plans cover those costs.
        3. The manager assures me that there is no market rate. But I explained to him that all his competitors are MUCH less expensive in their rates. And, Petro used the term market rate when asking me to sign up for their service. They stating I would pay the market rate unless it exceeded my ceiling price.

4. He refuses to release me from his contract unless I am willing to pay a $399.00 fee.

This is not a company anyone would want to deal with. Their sole objective seems to be "how much they can take from their customers". Are they oblivious to how much more they would make by keeping customers for the long term by treating them fairly and with reason.

I can assure you that I will inform everybody I know of Petro's working business plan. Trust me, you are losing more than just my future business as a result of your business strategy.

Original Review: I have a price ceiling protection in my contract with Petro. I am supposed to pay the market price unless the market price goes over the ceiling price. This all sounds good until I started doing some shopping around. I am not being charged the market price but rather they are charging me at my ceiling price regardless of the market. I called around a couple occasions and have found that I am being charged .70 cents to $1.00 per gallon above everyone else. They have been overcharging me by more than $100.00 each time they fill my tank. Below are my results after calling around to other companies for the days rates: Petro billed me at $3.49. Hocom rate is $2.479. Quinoco rate is: $2.79. Elite Energy rate is: $2.62. Strileckis rate is: $2.49.

I want out of my contract immediately and I would suggest anyone think twice before entering a contract with Petro. When you call for a rate they will not give it to you until they are able to look up your address so they can be sure not to accidentally give you the real market price should you already be on their hook.... Disappointed but better educated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petro?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

Last conversation with Ken **, GM., regarding cut oil line. Irrigation company cut Petro oil line laid in 1999 by Petro., depth 4 1/2 inches. Heat out for 12 days, cost $1800. Looking for compensation. Ken's answer, "Your fault, should have called 811 for guidance." Unfortunately 811 does not map oil lines on my property... cable, gas, electric... yes. Can I discuss problem with Petro upper management. I thought being a long time customer and spending over $60,000 with Petro might matter. Also if you plan to go to another competitive company, should Petro management make an effort to keep you? Tried looking for contact on org chart, no luck. Will continue search. Thank you.

Jack

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

My oil heat system is failing to start on its own. I am forced to manually start it by using the reset button. I called on Sunday to get service under my contract. Since I can manually start it they say it's not an emergency (manually starting by using the reset button many times is not recommended as you may be bypassing a serious and dangerous problem). So, they scheduled a service call between 9am and 12pm the following day (Monday). My wife has been home all day waiting as there seems to be an ever-growing emergency call list that is delaying the technician (must be only one). Today is a 50+ degree sunny day. What emergency? Now they tell me that they won't be there until between 5:30pm and 7pm with no guarantee that will happen either. Next time I'll lie and say it's an emergency.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

My family has used Petro for over 30 years and the last 10 years they have gone steadily downhill. They lie, they cheat and they price gauge. They are priced are higher on everything across the board including service than any one of their competitors. Look anywhere else for oil but at Petro.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I've been a loyal client for 2 yrs and expected the company to be accommodating. They definitely were not! The customer service agent kept me on the phone for 30 mins, going back and forth wheeling and dealing with UNACCEPTABLE offers. Even quoting over the market cap rate of $3.60 per gallon when in fact two competitors quotes came in at $2.9. For anyone who is a first time oil buyer. (Daily rate, which is a variable rate and a cap rate which is fixed price over certain time period.)

I received my first oil delivery two days ago and noticed the price was extremely over market rate by 80 cents per gallon. I was charged $3.50 vs $2.72 ( two local competitor prices). This overcharge cost me roughly $150 plus not to mention what the cost will be over the course of 6 months. At the end, I decided not to continue working with Petro because of the overcharging price strategy, not adjusting the price for first delivery, and not respecting customer loyalty. Loyal clients should always receive the best prices!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I had just moved last year and signed a year long contract in August that included a furnace cleaning last year and a free one this year for signing on. I was paying the estimated payments until I got a bill for a large amount. I called and was told they underestimated the amount all year and I had to pay up the $400 before August or face a large balloon payment at the end. A few weeks ago they came and did the free furnace cleaning and as of right now I do not have a working furnace thanks to whatever the techs damaged. They now want to charge me $98 to come out and diagnose the issue. I fired them and have someone doing the work because I don't trust them at all! Stay away from these crooks.

Petro response

Deb- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you, please message us privately with a direct phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch with you shortly. Regards Petro Home Services

Petro Company Information