New England

4.0/5 (457 ratings)

About Petro

Petro Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petro?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petro?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Just received my first bill this year. Got charged $4.07 a gallon. A quick research shows that the average rate for most oil companies today is about $3.02 a gallon. I will be canceling my contract. What they are doing is criminal. My device: use other local suppliers.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

Do not work with Petro Oil company. The company undercharged me for oil then 8 months later emails that I owe them money. I have asked 4 times to speak to a supervisor, no callback. Ridiculous. Then we worked out a payment plan that they agreed to then they did something completely different. Definitely, not working in the best interest of the customer.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

The Petro North Haven CT air conditioning team installed a Trane 4 ton condenser and air handler at my home in Hamden, CT in June 2021. The installation team (two guys) complained the entire time they were working and did a bad job installing my air conditioner. Here's a summary of their failures: They killed the grass in front of my home where they were staging equipment for installation. They broke an existing air conditioner sensor wire (that cost me $150 to fix with my primary HVAC company). They broke a vent bolt head and left it that way, and bent an existing air filter cover. Worst of all they failed the Hamden Building inspection audit. When I called to discuss I was completely ghosted by Patty, the installation coordinator. Four calls. No reply. Bad service from top to bottom. Avoid these clowns. No management oversight or customer service. No idea if they ever completed the required fixes to close my building permit. Avoid!!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I have been with Petro since 2014. Their ethics are questionable since Jan. 2020. The reason I even did the extensive research I did is because I received, for the first time ever, a bill for settlement of $721.49. I have always purchased the budgeted, ceiling plan, knowing that I would pay a bit more for it but willing to for the peace of mind. Below you will find facts, I am very detailed in the event Petro sees this review and feels I am some how unfair when I make my final assumption.

Facts:

1) Never before have I been in the red at settlement time, I had always paid more than I had used.
2) Prior to 2020 the difference between my price/gal. delivery charge and the state weekly avg. was never > $.53, beginning in Jan. 2020 price/gal. consistently > $.90 over state avg. every delivery.
3) At the beginning of 2020 Petro made 3 deliveries over a 6 week period 2 in Jan. and 1 in Feb. leading to a total of 4 deliveries for 2020, typically I have 2 except for 2018 when there were 3.
4) Yes, I worked from home for the majority of 2020, still am. However, I also had someone move out at the beginning of 2020 who had lived and worked from my home so, if anything, I probably ultimately used less.

5) Yes, 2020 was a little colder than 2019 but certainly not colder than every year since 2019 (For a little brevity, I won't list out all the avg. temperatures).

One can only assume that the excessive differential in price/gal. and the ridiculousness of making 3 deliveries in six weeks, is because oil is a global market. Petro was well aware of what was coming around the planet - a pandemic. Rather than risk making deliveries when the market dropped out, when it was uncertain how long it would last, Petro chose to feed off its customers. It's the same drive behind the pricing. Rather than risk losses from lower market oil prices, potential inability of customers to make payments due to job losses, the lowered need for oil by companies due to shutdowns, Petro, a company more than large enough to have well established reserves for a situation like this decided to make a money grab at the expense of their loyal customers. Just be aware of the type of company they are if choosing to do business with them, once my contract expires, I can assure you I am done.

Original review: July 25, 2021

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE PETRO for anything! I have only been in my new home for less than 2 months & they have caused me to be without hot water, unnecessarily, twice now. They tell you a time window when the technician will show up & then they show up hours ahead of schedule & just expect you to be there. They have consistently blamed it on their computers crashing & not being able to access the schedule. It's not true, they just don't care about customer service. I could go into more detail but will run out of space, just save yourself the frustration & don't use them!

Original review: July 23, 2021

I am out of oil. I was told I had to pay the balance. I proceeded to pay and was told the systems are down. I cannot pay by debit. I have to mail it in, but I won't get a delivery until the balance is paid or if they deliver, they will charge me $200 for emergency delivery! All this, after being a customer for over 18 years.

Original review: March 9, 2021

Just got a delivery of oil for 40% more than the state average and 75% more than the local spot price. Since then, I've spent an hour on hold and been summarily ignored except to be told that their incredible service means their prices may be a bit higher. Evidence of this incredible service? The above mentioned being ignored on this issue and being made to wait 5+ months for my annual equipment checkup. This company should be prosecuted.

Resolution response: Feb. 25, 2021

My local Petro rep contacted me and apologized for the issues I've been having with the customer team in the NJ office. The rep immediately resolved the dispute and the charge was taken off my account. Thank you so much for taking the time to understand the situation and making me feel appreciated as a new customer!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I have been a Petro Gas customer for less than a month after buying a new home and I have already had the worst experience. The safety check for our tank was a mess and they tried to charge us a couple hundred dollars to move the tank when it was perfectly fine where it was. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and followed through with the second safety check. That went fine and the tank was filled a few days after that. I paid the invoice promptly and we thought we were all set. A few days after that another charge for $200+ dollars showed up on our account. They said this was for gas in the tank that was paid for by the previous homeowners. I spoke to the previous owners and they never received a refund for this charge and when I signed up as a new customer they never told me that we were responsible for the gas that was already in the tank.

Right now they are trying to double charge us which is horrible business practice, and trying to handle this with customer service has been an absolute nightmare. They are also telling me that I have to work this out with the old homeowners (which I already did) and tell them to call Petro Gas to resolve this. How this has become my job is beyond me. I wouldn't waste your time signing up with this company. Their level of concern for customers is low and their business practices are fishy.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

I understand the desire to make a profit, but keep it realistic at least. Been a Petro customer for a couple years now and I knew their oil prices were on the high end, but the last couple of deliveries have been staggering. Normally our deliveries have shown up when our tank gets to half full, the last couple have been delayed till down to a quarter or less...thus requiring more oil to be delivered. Our delivery today of 196.8 gallons at a price of $3.639 for a total of $716.16 is excessive to say the least. When price checked against say Charlton Oil at just $1.96 a gallon that is less than $400. We will not be renewing our contract that ends next month, tired of paying for over-priced oil.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

Had oil delivered today at a full dollar over going rate. They will charge you max going rate the whole time just because as they said "we are different than other companies so we can charge more." No offer of lowering the price. Will NEVER do business with them again.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

Petro Oil (Maryland) has been a lesson in the fine art of frustration. They end every call with "Remember we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week." Well it took two and a half weeks to come a work on my furnace (and we have a service contract with them!). They sent a technician not once, but twice who didn't have the correct parts, even though the first technician sent detailed notes about what was needed. They cancelled their service call three separate days. Finally it was repaired and the repair man had to google research (which I am guessing I was billed for time he spent in research because he didn't know how to do his job) how to connect to our Nest (only after stating originally he thought they were not compatible and we would have to get a new system).

Next I get an outrageous bill for them with just a total amount - no break down of where the costs come from (i.e. parts vs. service). I have called three times trying, in vain, to speak with a service manager or a field service supervisor. They cannot be reached and leave notes in my file that they've reached out to me, but mysteriously I have no calls at all on my phone that indicate this. Who is their boss? Do the supervisors have a supervisor I can speak with? "Not to my knowledge." So, I cannot even talk with someone beyond the supervisor who can actually help me. Hence my summary ~ considering Petro - RUN, run away!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I cancelled my contract with this greedy company. The fee to do so is three hundred ninety nine dollars. It's worth it. I'll save at least one thousand dollars this year. They give a ceiling price but that is the actual price they charge. The last fill up was one dollar twenty cents a gallon more than elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

We have been with Petro since we first purchased our home almost 4 years ago. But I won’t be renewing my contract with them. All those people that say call people fools for using Petro are right. The contract is only good for tune ups and those appointments need to be booked at least a month or 2 in advance. The emergency repairs are useless. My furnace had issues two years ago and Petro took so long to send someone that my pipes burst. Cost me thousands in repairs.

The final straw was the most recent delivery. Oil prices have dropped dramatically since the Covid pandemic. My delivery in November 2020 was $2.95 per gallon. Every other oil delivery company is charging around $1.45. My bill was $750 when it should have been half that. Everyone is having a rough time financially and otherwise right now. But not Petro. They’re profiting off the low oil prices and could care less about their customers. Anyone thinking about signing a contract with Petro should think twice!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

Just received my first refill the year. Got charged 2.05 a gallon. A quick google search shows that the rate for most oil companies today is about $1.44 a gallon. That's a huge overcharge. I will be cancelling as soon as the contract expires. What they are doing is criminal. I'd strongly advise to use a local provider to save literal hundreds of dollars a month. I havent called to address this yet, but reading other reviews I doubt it will make a difference.

Petro response

Hi- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please call our Customer Service Manager, Catherine, at 800.645.4328. Thank you very much. Petro Home Services

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

For 40 years I stuck with these folks. Service wasn't always reliable. I paid a lot over the years for 24/7 service, but pretty much never needed it. So now my heat is out. I just end up in an endless phone chain. They really should have a dedicated line for contract owners. This is false advertising. If only I could have all those big 24/7 contract payments back!

Petro response

Hi Frank, we understand that Sean was able to connect with you regarding your concerns. We do appreciate your loyalty and are very happy that the situation has been addressed. Don't hesitate to reach out to us should you have any further questions. Regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

My contract for the Ceiling Plan is renewing at the end of September. In the middle of August I started receiving calls from Petro to renew my plan and the first offer they put on the table, which was claimed to be their absolute best rate, was $3.65/gallon ceiling with a first delivery price of $3.25/gallon. As a point of reference, non-contract cash delivery price from other competitive oil companies in the area was $1.60 /gallon at the time. I'm aware of the game Petro plays and told them the rate was too high and to call back when they had a better offer. The following break down is when I spoke to Petro and the offers they made, keeping in mind that every offer was the 'absolute lowest they can go':

- 8/20/2020 First offer $3.65 ceiling w/ $3.25 first delivery. By end of call they were down to $3.09 ceiling w/ $2.89 first delivery
- 8/26/2020 First offer $2.89 ceiling w/ $2.65 first delivery. By end of call they were down to $2.59 ceiling w/ $2.36 first delivery and $50 loyalty credit

- 8/28/2020 Final offer $2.39 ceiling w/ $1.89 first delivery and $50 loyalty credit.

On the 8/26/2020 call the representative was getting frustrated with me continuing to state that they can bring the price lower. I assume the speech she gave me was scripted to make the customer feel like Petro actually cares, stating she understands these are hard economic times for everyone and Petro is doing everything they can to help their customers and this is the lowest price they can go. I again told her to bring the price lower. Two days later the call was from a different Petro group called the Loyalty Work Group II who brought the price even lower.

On 9/1/2020 I thought I had reached a point where they potentially wouldn't go any lower and requested a call to renew the contract. Upon reading me the terms of the contract, which I was required to verbally agree to, the Loyalty Work Group agent told me the ceiling price of $2.39/gallon, $50 loyalty credit and a first delivery of $1.99/gallon. I told her to stop reading the offer terms. She had increased the price of the first delivery by $0.10/gallon when the market cash rate had actually dropped to $1.55/gallon. It occurred to me that no matter what the market does, Petro will immediately raise my price per gallon to the ceiling after my first delivery no matter what prices are in the market.

Petro is dishonest, greedy, unethical, deceitful and does not care about you or any of its customers. It is a money making machine and will do whatever it takes to lock you in to unreasonably high pricing. Buyer beware, they have a great legal team who has ensured their terms and conditions keep them from following any market pricing due to 'operating costs' and they will charge you as much as they possibly can no matter what the market does. I will be shopping elsewhere for my oil and I hope you do too.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I was upset for not having my delivery on time but the customer service representative was very pleasant with me and immediately contact delivery for me and even sent an email as well. Less than 5 minutes I received a called from Sean the Manager and he made all my worries go away just like that. I felt so much better and happier o? when I heard his voice. Less than 45 minutes he sent Melvin a technician who was awesome in getting my hot water and stove to work again. He has such good customer service and his work is excellent. Thank you Sean and Melvin!!!

Original review: May 3, 2020

I have never seen a company receive so many poor reviews. My friend and neighbor got a oil delivery today and paid the spot price of $1.07 a gallon. I called Petro and was told the price I am paying is $2.39 per gallon.

Petro response

Brian- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We pride ourselves on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please message us privately with a direct phone number where you can be reached. Best, Petro Home Services

Original review: March 22, 2020

Petro delivered oil to my residence in East Greenwich, RI on March 18th 2020 at $2.799 a gallon without me requesting it. This was the day when the oil prices were at a historic low and the average cash price of heating oil on this day was around 1.65. When contacted, they responded that their oil prices fluctuate a lot and the price on that day was the correct price. When I told them that the lowest cash price on this day was 1.35 and the next highest price was 2.15, they told me that they offer superior service and that's why they charge a premium price. I am aware they always charge more than other local suppliers, but charging 50-100% than the other suppliers is just not fair.

These are tough times when the economy is tanking and hundreds of thousand of people are losing their jobs because of Covid19, but Petro doesn't care. It delivers oil (when you have not requested a delivery) at unfair prices just because they know you will do the right thing and pay your bills. I don't want this to happen to others like me. Is there a grievance redressal body I can report this to and stop this from happening again?

Original review: March 2, 2020

Petro allowed an account to be opened in my name for home oil without my knowledge or permission. I found out about the account being opened only after I got a notice from Transunion that a hard inquiry was made on my credit account. When I called Transunion and told them I did not authorize this, I was told to contact Petro and if necessary to file a report with the police. I was also told that to get the hard inquiry removed from my credit report, Petro would have to supply a letter acknowledging that they made a mistake.

I found out from Petro that the account was opened by a male (I am female) over the phone -- no one had the sense to ask to speak to me to get my permission, they were too interested in selling an oil contract to care if this was ethical! I immediately told them to close the account and to feel free to siphon any oil out of the tank they delivered. They chose not to do this and harass me! It took months of phone calls back and forth with Petro, a lot of misinformation that thankfully Transunion representatives helped me with, until I finally got a letter from Petro acknowledging that this account was opened without my knowledge.

This letter was submitted to Transunion, the hard inquiry was removed from my account and there is NO RECORD OF PETRO on my credit report as a creditor! However, Petro has bombarded me with bills over and over. I have called on numerous occasions to ask them to leave me alone, that I am not responsible for the account, it was their negligence and they need to straighten out their salesperson! I am now in receipt of a lawyer collection letter for this money. I just spent time AGAIN explaining what has happened. This has been dragging on for a YEAR!! BEWARE of PETRO!!!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I bought a service contract which included cleaning the boiler, but they are too busy to get to me until March at the end of the season.. So I terminated service with Petro about a month ago. I just received a bill today for $501.62 for a renewal of the service contract for another year… on the top of the bill it says, "Important message: we have discontinued fuel deliver and services!" I spoke with Linda today at Petro. She said nothing she can do.. They are morons!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

By far the worst company I have ever dealt with. My oil tank cracked when Petro did a full delivery. When I got home I noticed the small leak. I called Petro and a tech came out and put a temp. patch to hold until the other technicians come and empty the tank and install a temporary tank outside. At this point it's getting late in the night and this is all occurring.

When the other technicians finally arrive the original tech leaves. The two technicians then do their work and then come to us barely speaking English and tell us that they can't get our boiler to stop and that I will need to contact Petro. I questioned them because I assumed they were from Petro. I then I had to call Petro and tell them what happened. Petro had no idea who they sent to my house and they asked me if I got their name from their sweatshirts. I didnt think I needed to do that because I trusted that they were Petro. Then another technician had to come back and get the work done and that technician stated that he couldnt believe the work they did because it wasnt done well and the fix was simple.

At this point all technicians have left and we had the temp tank working and heat and hot water back. At no time did anyone tell us about any changes due to safety or delivery stops. I called because I noticed we were low on oil and I've been paying my monthly delivery and they told me that the automatic delivery didnt apply to the temp tank. Wouldnt that have been nice to know. They then delivered 10gl which only lasted a few days. I called and they delivered 10 gl once more.

At this point it was Christmas time. I called them again and let them know my husband was away and I had a toddler at home and they said they can no longer deliver oil until we purchased a new tank. At no point were we given a time frame or told about the safety hazard. We had to move out of the house for a few weeks until we came up with a plan and ended up converting our house to gas. I called Petro to cancel our contract and tell them that their service was terrible and they didnt help me at all. All the supervisor kept telling me was that she couldnt imagine that no one would tell me that it's unsafe. After all of that they are still charging me $400 for cancelling the contract. DO NOT GO TO PETRO!!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I warned Petro months that I may be moving and asked them not to add oil without checking with me prior. They said they will add this note to the account. So, with two week left in my rental lease they fill up my tank costing $700. When I called Petro said they fill oil tanks but refuse to pump out their oil, it's a "policy". They are able to pump out oil and do so when a house has sold to measure the amount but won't for a renter, wonder why? It's impossible for me to pay for something I am not using.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

We used Petro for a year but since this is the first time we’ve owned a home with oil heating, I wanted to explore other companies to determine that the price is fair. The cost was a lot and our usage stemmed to be a lot, and we have no barometer to compare services. I had one last service with Petro at the beginning of winter before my contract expired, then called and canceled. Customer service was nice, and I was all set. Then about a couple weeks later, I received a bill tied to my last fill up with a renewal fee. I called again to confirm I canceled, and was transferred to the same sales manager where she confirmed, "Oh sorry..yes, we have canceled and they’ll remove that charge. So sorry."

Weeks later, I receive a letter that since I haven’t renewed, they will be putting me on a variable plan (indicating essential I still haven’t canceled). I have to call again and get transferred to the same person who tries to tell me it’s an automated letter and not manual, and so sorry about that. What difference does it make if it’s automated or manual? It’s a letter coming from petro that indicates the status of my account regardless. Throughout this, I’ve yet to receive a notice by email or mail indicating I’ve canceled- despite asking for it; yet, I’ve received notices and emails about continued services, invoices, happy holidays, etc.

I also can’t find anything on the website allowing me to submit a complaint or my intentions to stop services in writing. It all has to be by phone; hence, my writing this on Consumer Affairs to try to document this. It all just doesn’t seem right, which honestly has turned me off with this company and makes me not want to do business with them. We are still in the market and haven’t settled on a new company, but this behavior is disconcerting to us.

Petro response

Anna-We understand that our Customer Service Department was able to connect with you regarding your concerns. We do appreciate your loyalty and are very happy that the situation has been addressed. Don't hesitate to reach out to us should you have any further questions. Regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Very hard to get away from them. They know they got you if you have an old burner. Where are you going to go to get a good contract? The little guys are awful. I tried them. I've been there. The little guys demand you pay your bill asap pretty much before your next order. Don't have the money? Too bad. The service contracts with the small companies are awful too. Funny how nothing ever seems to be covered. That is the good thing about Petro. Their premier service contract is really very good. Everything always seems to be covered. I never had a dispute with it. Yes, their prices are high. If you are looking for prices of COD oil you are not going to get it. The small companies are just as bad. Sadly, if you can get a decent prices like maybe 2.99-3.29 per gallon with Petro, I'd grab it unless you want to freeze if your boiler breaks down.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

This company is about as dishonest as they come. They continually deliver oil at the peak prices and refuse to give me any sort of warning. I will be contacting BBB and possibly taking them to small claims. They charge, on average, $1.50 per gallon MORE than the local cash delivery place. This is a TERRIBLE business. Avoid at all costs.

Petro response

Kevin- We understand that our Customer Service Department was able to connect with you in resolving your concerns. We do appreciate your loyalty and are very happy that the situation has been addressed. Don't hesitate to reach out to us should you have any further questions. Regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

In previous years, I had a contract price and it always went to the highest price they could charge after a few fill ups of the oil tank. This year I refused to sign a binding contract with them. I figured the oil price would be high, but not outrageous. I was wrong. Most oil companies in the area are charging around $2.699 per gallon. I had a fill up on 12/24/2019 at $4.699 per gallon. At 222.7 gallons the bill was over $1000. Around $400 more than any other company near here would have charged. Merry Christmas to Petro. I have canceled my account.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I have been a customer for a number of years starting with company's Petro purchased. Everything was going good until I had them "tune" up my furnace in 1999. Six things happened: The first service tech tuned it up but it kept tripping the reset switch. The second tech came out and effectively redid everything that the first tech did. Reset button still tripped. The third tech caused the furnace to catch on fire. If I hadn't been there it may have burned my house down. Fortunately, I turned off the emergency switch. After the fire department left, a fourth tech was called and he rebuilt the furnace parts so that we would have heat. The furnace was very loud when it came on so I called and reported this. They sent a fourth tech, who said to me, "I'm not sure why I am here." He did nothing.

Finally, I requested a supervisor who I thought should have been concerned back when his tech caused a fire. He FINALLY came out with an experienced Tech who found a lot of problems with the rebuild and corrected them. The supervisor then told me to call them if I had any issues with the furnace. I called a month later and was told the supervisor would call me. I waited for two weeks and then called again. He finally returned my call and when I told him of the problem I was having, he told me that he HAD TO CHECK MY SERVICE CONTRACT. I couldn't believe it. They caused the fire and told me this. I told him to forget it and have since moved to another company. I have had bad service before but never like this. Beware.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I started out really liking this company. They had a good offer to lure you in for $100 off and I took the bait. Please be aware of their prices. I know the price of oil changes day to day but when I signed up for automatic delivery they took advantage of me and charged me over $4 per gallon. (The next highest was $2.99.) Highway robbery! When you call in to complain they send you to the retention department and try to get you into another contract for way more money per gallon than any other company I researched. I cancelled my service with Petro and went with another provider and could not be happier.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

The reason why this company has such a poor reputation with so many customers is simple...They will rob you blind. With Petro, you will pay hundreds & hundreds & hundreds of dollars more than the customers of an average competitor, for the same exact thing. Unfortunately it is not only their outrageous prices that make them such a poorly rated company, it's also the way they do business.

For example, Petro offers an "Automatic Oil Delivery" contract, in which they lock you in at a capped price for a couple of years. They assure you that your price per gallon will never exceed that price. Even better is that they promise you will pay the lower price, if the market drops and oil is currently selling for cheaper. To most, this sounds like a win win. Unfortunately, Petro will ALWAYS tell you that the current price for their oil is higher than your locked in rate. Even if every other company in your area is charging $1.99 less per gallon. The most pathetic part is that when you bring this to their attention. They feed you some line about how their services and oil is so superior, that paying $200 more per delivery is to be expected.

Petro Company Information