1.32/5

Need a utility company?

New England

Need a utility company?

390 Petro Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I was a customer a with Petro for 3 years before I became aware of their unfair pricing practices. Don't let them fool you with their story of how they are a full service energy provider. Based on my research, they are selling oil at a rate that's about 50% higher than other full service providers who offer auto delivery in my area. Do your research, and then cancel your service with Petro.

Petro response

Chad- thank you for reaching out to us. We are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction. Petro prides itself on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you and prove to you that we would love to earn your business. Please message us privately with a direct phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch with you shortly. Regards Petro Home Services

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

This company is a complete scam. I was referred to them by the previous home owner who used them and it has been nothing short of a disaster. I scheduled a delivery with the company and after receiving the delivery, noticed that their cost was much higher than any other local company was charging. After calling numerous times without resolve or answer, I received a call back stating that I signed a contract and that if I wanted to terminate the contract would be 399.00. I asked them where and when I signed this supposed contract, and they couldn't give me an answer either.

I further inquired into pricing and was told it's ceiling pricing and that there was a conflict in Afghanistan and that is why the price has increased. While I was looking at active cost of oil, which was $53.00 a barrel, the representative told me that it was currently 70 dollars. When I asked what exchange he said he got it on an email. The guy was a clueless as rest of workers here. Stay the hell away from these scamming company.

Petro response

Robert- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please message us privately with a direct phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch with you shortly. Regards Petro Home Services

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

East Meadow - I locked in with Petro this year at a cap of $3.179. On 12/20/19, I had a delivery and was charged $2.86/gallon and another on 1/30/19 for $3.179. When I checked NASDAQ rates and NYS average heating oil prices both showed the difference between the two dates are less than 1%. When I contacted Petro to find out what index are they using to calculate their pricing, a very unpleasant lady from the pricing department told me it's not of my business and I am lucky she is only charging me the ceiling price. Since we agreed on a fluctuating price, as a customer, I have the right to this information. Needless to say, I will not be renewing my contract.

Petro response

Rita- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please call our Customer Service Manager, Janice. Thank you very much. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Resolution response: Feb. 20, 2019

We thank Lauren and Mark for calling us and making us feel like valued customers again. We hope and look forward to this continued partnership and customer service. Roy & Rosemary **

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Updated on 02/14/2019: We responded with our contact information and have not heard from anyone yet and it's been three days. Petro please call us or let us know who we can call to resolve the matter as soon as possible.

Original Review: Petro services our home and we are loyal customers for many many years. We renewed our contract in July 2018 and, as in past contracts, agreed to the ceiling price agreement. When price of oil is high, $3.549 would be charged; but when it goes down the lower rate would apply. Never a problem until this past December delivery and even worse now February 6 delivery. Oil prices are definitely down, we see it on television, read about it in the paper and hear it from our neighbors who have oil heat. Petro is PRICE GAUGING and NOT honoring their contract by charging us $3.549, when rates are much lower. We called them in December to dispute our charge but were given the line... "It's the average." Now we get delivery on February 6 and are still being charged the ceiling price of $3.549 when it is down as low as $2.499. Our expectation is that Petro will make an adjustment to our current bill as well as adjust/credit our December payment. We will hold off payment of this current bill until we hear either from Consumer Affairs or Petro.

Petro response

Roy- We thank you for taking the time to speak with our Customer Service Manager. Based on that conversation we are happy to hear that the issue has been addressed. Feel free to reach out to us should you have any questions. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

For some time now, we have been concerned that Perto Oil has been charging us too much for heating oil. We just happen to review the past few bills and noticed that in fact were billed at the cap rate of $3.599, despite the fact that the MA market rate for heating oil delivery varied between $3.10 and $3.16 (see: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/massachusetts-retail-heating-oil-prices).

We understand that we signed an agreement with a cap of $3.599. However, the agreement also provides for a fluctuating range not to exceed the cap. Given that our last three deliveries have all been at top of our range, it is obvious that Petro has not been honest about its agreement of offering oil prices within the range stated in the agreement. We are being price gauged by Petro Oil. We are shopping for a new oil provider.

Petro response

Hello- thank you for reaching out to us. We are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction. Petro prides itself on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you and prove to you that we would love to earn your business. Please reach out directly to our Customer Service Manager, Chris. Looking forward to speaking with you. Regards, Petro Home Services

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petro?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

My wife and I "inherited" Petro when they bought Kasden Fuel, our former oil provider. We went so far as to have them install a brand new furnace and water heater. Not only have the hinted at fuel savings not materialized (our bills have skyrocketed) but we are being price gouged for oil at $3.45/gallon while neighboring providers are offering oil at $2.54/gallon. They tell us that we must buy from them until May when an agreement runs out or we will be subject to a $399 "termination fee". This was not explained at all to us prior to entering into this and since when is a "price ceiling" plan give a Company a license to steal from their customers by charging $1 per gallon over market.

These agreements should be illegal and this company has been inflexible as they continue to price gouge us, claiming their "level of service" justifies the higher price when in fact their service is downright crappy. We are on auto delivery and only once in 2.5 yrs did they actually come without being called. Furthermore, we actually ran out one time requiring an emergency delivery because of their inability to manage auto delivery effectively. Oh and by the way when you call now you are generally on hold for over 5 minutes while their recording tries to sell you nonrelated household services. I shudder to think what would happen in an emergency. Avoid this company and their plans AT ALL COSTS.

Petro response

David- Our Customer Service Manager was able to connect with the account-holder Julie-Ann in resolving her concerns. Based on that conversation we are happy to hear that the issue has been addressed. Feel free to reach out to us should you have any questions. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Updated on 02/12/2019: I called Petro home services again today! I was told again today I have to wait for the bank... Really!! The bank is not the one that just now cancelled my account to give me my money back! But I still have to wait 2-3 more days!!! I've been waiting since Jan. 28th for my $500 to be returned. I requested headquarters number, can"t speak to anyone, you must leave a message to get a call back... and no one called me back!!! Petro home services suck!!!

Updated on 02/08/2019: After numerous calls to Petro home services they (Andre) told me Friday I'd have my $500.00 refunded to me, 2-8-2019, due to them not delivering my fuel and it is Friday and I still don't have my money. I called them today again and now they are telling me I have to wait 3-5 days... Again, that's what they told me about 9 days ago... Don't do business with Petro home services, they say they refund you but it doesn't happen to quickly...they better give me my money back real soon! They don't even deserve 1 star rating!!

Original review: A week ago I gave a $500 deposit for heating oil from Petro. They could not bring me fuel. I am still waiting for my $500 to be returned to me. I cannot pay my bills now, which are late because they neglected to give me my money back. Every time I called them they told me I had to wait for the bank. It's Wednesday and still didn't refund me my money. Now I have to wait till Friday! My bills are overdue because of Petro's neglect!!! Don't give Petro home services any deposit, unless you have money to spare!!!

Petro response

D- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you, please message us privately with a direct phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch with you shortly. Regards Petro Home Services

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I bought a new house and instantly started to receive ads for various oil companies in the area. I got one from Petro that offered a $200 credit and a premier service plan for one year for a new account. The ad also had this handwritten and highlighted at the bottom. I called and spoke to a sales rep who told me that they no longer offer this because the service plan was in place of the $200 but that he could match a price if we found a better one. Once I found a better rate he said that was "unreasonable" and he didn't think that is what it was. So I got an invoice to show the price (as requested) and I told him I had the ad that offered the credit and service plan. He said he would rather match the price and not include the $200 credit. He said he could do the matched price, a $100 credit and the service plan. I agreed.

We got the contract which included a $200 fee for a lower service plan. I asked him and he said he would correct this and the original price. After multiple emails, he said it was a mistake and he was willing to fix the contract. They had a promotion to have the first oil fill 20 cents less per gallon. The sales rep said he would not follow this because he was already matching a better price but he would bring it down 11 cents per gallon. He asked when to have my first delivery as I had over half a tank left. I asked him to wait until Feb. so we could get more with the lower rate. He set the date for Feb 5th.

On January 18th I got my first delivery for the higher rate and it did not include the $100 credit. I called to have this addressed and was passed around from service to sales and back. They told me I would have to speak to the original sales rep. I said I did not trust him after my original experiences and I wanted to speak to someone else. After being told I would get calls back from the man I spoke to that day and a supervisor, they had the original sales rep call and he told me I would have to talk to service to have this addressed. He issued me about a $2.00 credit saying that is the difference if I had waited until 2/5. I again called and said I wanted to speak to a supervisor as I was unhappy with my service so far. I was again told that I would get a call back (around my work schedule), another week went by, no call.

Today, 2/5 I came home and had another delivery even though I was supposed to have it filled only when it was around a quarter of a tank. I was told they would be able to do this because they already knew the house as the previous owners used Petro. When I called I was told that they were learning the house and how much oil I used which is opposite of what I was told would happen. I also let my dog out and realized Petro left my gate open! After a search party, I was able to find my dog. There was no reason for them to leave the fenced in yard open.

I called to address today's matter and was told that the Petro reps were doing their job and that it was the supervisors that were not responding to the calls. They could not give me any information on how to reach a supervisor and said that I would have to wait and see if they called. Today's rep did say she would give me a call in a few days to see if I received a call. I have little hope at this point. Next year I will happily pay more for oil from any company other than Petro. I have never worked with such unprofessional staff and I am highly disappointed.

Petro response

Renee- We thank you for taking the time to speak with our Customer Service Manager. Based on that conversation we are happy to hear that the issue has been addressed. Feel free to reach out to us should you have any questions. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Used them for oil and service for over 32 years. Late with payment not even in collections. Left me to freeze in middle of winter tonight 2/4/2019. 32 years and their answer was not one option paid over 50% more for 32 years. That is how I was treated.

Petro response

Jeff- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please message us privately with a direct phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch with you shortly. Regards Petro Home Services

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I see that Petro doesn't respond to complaints about pricing. Enough "sorry to hear" from them. Been a Petro customer for many, many years and this is my last. I have a variable rate, and it seems like as soon as the heating season starts, it hits my ceiling price and stays there... when the going rate for oil is a lot less. Have never had an issue with their customer service. According to my state, as of Jan 28, average heating oil price in my county is $2.832. I had a delivery on Jan 30 and paid my ceiling price of $3.339. Are you sorry to hear that Petro?

Petro response

Douglas- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you so we can address the issue and rectify the situation. Please provide a direct phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch with you shortly. Petro Home Services

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I have had no problem paying a bit more as a customer of Petro for the past ten years. I was happy with their service and was willing to pay for it. My call today put me WAY over the edge though. Their fixed price was not remotely in the same ballpark as competitors. Unfortunate that they are not more forthcoming and fair with their prices. Trying to PUSH everyone to a ceiling plan. By the time you blink, you will be at the ceiling and will not come down. Their ceiling plan is more like a higher fixed plan. No thank you.

Petro response

J- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please call our Customer Service Manager, Mayra. Thank you very much. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have been a customer of Petro's for years and never had any major issues until recently. The last two of my fills were billed at my ceiling rate, completely fine if that was what market price was. But is it not. Both of my recent fills Petro charged at least one dollar over the competitors in my area. I understand that you pay a little extra for automatic fill and 24-hour service but this insane! I also pay hundreds of dollars per year for my service contract so they cannot say that is wrapped into the increased rate. If I continue to pay a dollar more per gallon I will pay an extra $800 dollars this year! I will not be renewing my contract!

Petro response

Nichole- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can rectify the situation and prove to you that we would love to earn your business. Please call our Customer Service Manager, Mayra. Thank you very much. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I have been waiting here for 4 days now to have Petro (Petro Oil Rhode Island) get my burner running and let me tell you it is cold in here. Four days without heat in the middle of January. The latest from Petro, "We will try to get there before 7 PM today!" Had to take the day out of work yesterday and sat here waiting for them. I have a service contract for both my home and shop that is paid for and I just spent $800.00 on oil with them. I pay my bills. We are an elderly couple and the cold stays with us for days. Beware of this company, quick to bill and on the expensive side, very expensive!! Have to go now and sit in my car to warm up.

Petro response

Rodger- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you so we can address the issue and rectify the situation. Please provide a direct phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch with you shortly. Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I previously had Atlas Glen-Mor which became Petro, where I was a loyal customer for years. Petro is massively price gouging their customers under the guise of being a “full service company”. I’ve noticed that I am being charged almost $1 more than avg. oil prices in Eastern Massachusetts! My supposedly “protective” ceiling price plan is anything but. I am being charged the full ceiling price of $3.59 which is costing me at least $100+ more per delivery than if I just bought oil off a local company. It takes several months to get an oil boiler cleaning appointment because they don’t employ enough technicians.

The Petro technician that recently did a boiler cleaning & checkup as part of my overpriced service plan adjusted a pressure control mechanism on my boiler (which is only 2 years old, mind you), which caused my boiler to over-pressurize under load during a recent super cold weather snap, and release many gallons of hot water from a pressure overflow pipe that flooded my basement. Thankfully I had a plumber coming to my house the following day for other non-boiler related work in my kitchen. The plumber, who is highly skilled & knowledgeable in heating systems, said my boiler settings were wrong & the pressure control was too high, which caused the overflow & the flood. The plumber adjusted my boiler to prevent it from happening again.

The ONLY person prior to the plumber who touched my boiler was the Petro serviceman. Yet when I called Petro to seek resolution & credit for incompetent service, the Boston area Service Supervisor, “Tim **” (Note: you will NEVER get anyone’s last name at Petro), he refused to help, acknowledge, investigate or take any responsibility for the situation. I asked to speak to his supervisor (supposedly a General a Manager named “Jim” - again, no last names at Petro!). Tim ** told me he would make sure Jim called me, but of course (as expected), I have not heard from Jim. In the past I’ve had minor boiler part fixes with Atlas Glen Mor, now Petro - & they conveniently NEVER seem to be covered under their self-proclaimed wonderful service contracts they offer. I don’t want to think about how much I’ll be charged & how many parts that won’t be covered under the Petro contract as my boiler ages.

Petro will 100% lose me as a customer when my ceiling plan & useless service contract expire this year. This operation is a conglomerate, don’t be fooled. Find a local oil company & call a skilled plumber (many of whom also offer 24-hour heating system service) if something goes wrong. The price gouging as compared to Regional oil prices is also unacceptable & reason enough to not renew my contract. Unfortunately when I signed in 2018, I wasn’t told that Atlas Glen Mor was really Petro until after I got a contract. They were probably frightened I would find the dozens of other 1-Star reviews from other customers in the Northeast!!

Petro response

Lisa- We are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please call our Customer Service Manager, Chris. Thank you very much. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I have the same problem as other reviewers. The price keeps going up, and is well above the going rate locally. I had a delivery yesterday and was charged $3.949 per gallon. This was 60 cents more than my last delivery. Other local companies that I contacted are charging between $2.35 and $2.80. I called to discuss with customer service and they are standing by their pricing, so I cancelled my account and will find a more reasonably priced company. I’m not necessarily looking for the cheapest prices, but $1-1.50 more than the going rate is ridiculous.

Petro response

Tara- We are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please call our Customer Service Manager, Mayra. Thank you very much. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I called at 10am with no heat and was told a tech would come between 12-3. They called at 1 pm to tell me about a delay. When I called back at 4 pm they told me I was 3 calls out meaning I should see a tech by 5:30. When I called back at 8 pm they told me I was next in line, when I called at 10 pm they told me I was 3 calls out. This runaround went on until a technician turned up at 2 am only to find the situation had been left too long to remedy. It is now the next day and we have to pay a plumber $500 to thaw our frozen house and Petro another $400 for some parts and labor. We pay for Petro's highest level of service and this is what we got. My house is frozen and my pockets are empty. I am very upset.

Petro response

Josie-We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you so we can address the issue and rectify the situation. Please provide a direct phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch with you shortly. Regards Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have been a Petro auto delivery customer for over 15 years. They have on record that they are to inform me when I receive a delivery as for some reason, if the tank is too low, the burner will cut off. Yesterday, the coldest day of the year in New York 5 degrees with wind chills in the -teens, they delivered oil and my burner immediately cut off. I called them at 10:00 A.M. to ask for service and they informed me someone would be at the house between the hours of 5:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M. I explained I have a 94 year old mother in frail health. They said they would do their best. At 7:00 P.M. the tech showed up, worked awhile and flew out of the house like it was on fire saying it was fine - never checking to be sure the heat was on. Ten minutes later when the baseboards were still cold I called Petro and was told they would send another tech between the hours of midnight and 3:00 A.M.

I stayed up to wait for them and called them at 2:15 A.M. to find out when the tech would be here. They said they had no record for the return at midnight but instead it was 12:00 P.M.-3:00 P.M. the next day. My husband and I were both on the phone and heard the midnight service call. My call at 2:15 A.M. resulted in being told they had a large number of calls and were doing the best they could. After begging and pleading, I was told a tech would be out first thing in the morning between 8:00 A.M.-Noon. As I write this, we will see what happens. Nonetheless, I am sure I will have some frozen pipes and just hope they don't break. Ironically, during the long hold to speak with customer service, Petro advertises their plumbing services! I will speak with a rep to see how to get out of my contract as I feel that Petro breached the contract and once out, will NEVER go back to Petro. I do not recommend using this company at all!

Petro response

Fran- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We are in the process of locating your account and will be in touch with you shortly.  Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have been with this company for 4 years. In the beginning they were fine, then they started to charge me nearly two hundred dollars more than market price on 1/20/19 yesterday. They delivery oil at $3.70. Other company price is around $2.40-$2.50. My contract expired last year in August. Never send any email or letter that they will renew or adjust price. They made a delivery in Nov. I don't know what was oil price. Totally forgot about it. Now I feel so bad. At least they have to send email or mail that they will change the oil price. $3.70 vs. $2.40 per gallon??? I don't understand. Don't use this company.

Petro response

Duk-We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please message us privately with a phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch. Regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

If you are one of Manor Fuel customers and got switched to Petro please do yourself a favor and stop your contract with Petro. Petro will just suck your money even though the price of oil is down. You will get a better oil price if you leave Petro now. Have that extra savings in your pocket. Leave Petro!!!

Petro response

M- we are very sorry to hear you are dissatisfied as we are very committed to our customers and want to provide you with the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly to review your experience with us. Please reach out directly to our Customer Service Manager, Gina. Looking forward to speaking with you. Regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I am a long time customer of Petro. I received an oil delivery on 1/16/19. On the same day my sister received a delivery. The difference in the price we paid was 53 cents a gallon, which is a big difference. We both have a ceiling price cap (not a fixed prices). When I received deliveries in the past and called and complained about the price, as it was much higher than the market price. I was told the oil that was being delivered was bought at the higher price. Well how could two deliveries on the same day have such a difference in price?

I called 1/21/19 and spoke a young woman in the pricing department. She pretty much told me that they don’t hide that they are the highest priced oil. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was on hold for some time. She finally comes back on the phone requesting my sister's information, as her supervisor wants it. I told her I would give it to the supervisor. What happened to customer service. I have become very dissatisfied with Petro. Use to pride on customer service.

Petro response

We are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please message us privately with a phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch. Best, Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have been with this company for years. In the beginning they were fine, then they started to charge me nearly two hundred dollars more than market price each time. I am going to file a complaint to the state Attorney General.

Petro response

Hong-We are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please call one of our Customer Service Managers. Thank you very much. Best regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Billing from Petro has always been confusing, then they introduced this PayGo scam. They store their oil and gas at your house, but you don't pay for it until you use... and when you use it you pay the price it would have been when they delivered it... invariably that is much higher than the current price. They put my entire account oil and gas on this 'plan' when I only consented to oil. Now it is an awful hassle to untangle my houses from their services. I wouldn't recommend Petro to a friend. They have fine marketing but you'll pay for every bit of it through their padded fees for fuel and service.

Petro response

Mic- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you, please message us privately with a direct phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch with you shortly. Regards

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have automatic delivery. Heat went off at 4:00 in the afternoon. Petro refused to make a delivery till the next day... Told me the house would hold the temperature. It was 12 degrees outside... It didn't... So much for 24/7. This company has no clue what customer service is. Do yourself a favor and avoid them at any cost. As far as cost goes spot market oil deliveries seems to be cheaper with other oil delivery companies.

Petro response

Richard- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can address the issue and rectify the situation but are having some trouble locating your account based on the information provided. Please call our Customer Service Manager. Thank you very much. Regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Updated on 01/23/2019: When I called back and demanded to speak to someone who could address the problem, I was told that the price was correct. When I told them that oil prices have dropped and I should be paying a lot less they told me that their price is still high and they set the price not the market. (Not what my contract says.) They also said their oil is better than everyone else's and that's why they charge more. So I posted a complaint on this site. To my surprise Petro responded and asked if I could provide a phone # so they could contact me to resolve the issue. It's been 4 days and guess what. No call from Petro. I guess they are too busy overcharging for their superior oil, and cheating people out of their money. Stay away from Petro!!! I have never dealt with a more dishonest company!!

Original Review: I have a contract with Petro oil. (They used to be Mannor oil, a good company, but were bought out by Petro.) My contract has a ceiling price at $3.82 per gallon. I was told that is the highest I will pay and if oil prices go lower I would pay the current lower market price. Since I signed my contract in late Oct, oil prices have dropped a lot. The current price for a gallon of oil is $2.10 a gallon. I don't expect to pay that little but I do expect a significant drop in the price. I called Petro to dispute the cost per gallon and the Rep told me there is nothing she could do, but a lot of people are calling and complaining! She told me someone from billing would call me back. Not to my surprise I got no callback. I guess they are very busy trying to come up with a story to justify their thievery. I will try to call 1 more time then is directly to the Better Business Bureau and to the PSC. Stay Away from Petro!!!

Petro response

Anthony- We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Petro prides itself on delivering the best possible customer service. We would like to speak with you directly so that we can rectify the situation and prove to you that we would love to earn your business. Please message us privately with your direct phone number and a manager will be in touch with you shortly. Thank you very much. Regards, Petro Home Services

Resolution response: Jan. 11, 2019

I called General, and they did admit to the pricing mistake and refunded the difference which I appreciate. I will be on the lookout for future deliveries, but at least they did make it right.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Dear “The company formerly known as General Utilities”. I have been a long time customer of General Utilities, and have renewed my service contract with them yearly. This year, I signed up for the variable rate pricing which means I pay the current market rate which as per NYSERDA was 3.299 per gallon. To my horror I get a bill from Petro for 3.709 per gallon. For a 225 gallon tank, that is a huge price hike. Where is the justification for this? I am not stupid. I will be contacting you to have this resolved, otherwise this is in breach of contract, and I will find another heating company to do business with. I thought there was a law against monopolies. Why and how can Petro buy out so many heating companies??

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I am absolutely shocked at this disgusting place. My mother and I have been a customer for 20-25 years. We recently stopped our contract a few months because we are moving. We called one night to see if we could have an emergency delivery for 100 gallons because we ran out of heat and we were both very very cold. They said they couldn't do that for us because we were no longer a customer. Absolutely inhumane. They rather see people freeze than help them. I will be making sure to be making more of a stink about this. My mother is disabled and should not have to sleep in the cold. Worst company ever!!

Petro response

Antonio, We pride ourselves on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We are more than happy to assist you and your family in making an oil delivery but to do that you would need to have an active account. We are saddened to know we were unable to come to a solution mutually satisfying for both parties. We appreciate your loyalty and hope we may continue to build our rapport with you as Petro remains committed to our customers.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I am beyond pissed. I was very happy with General Utilities but Petro took them over. I called twice to discuss a renewal contract and after the last call, I said I was not okay with the offered price and would not be renewing the contract. I was going to call Roma Oil today to get a COD delivery. I was too busy today to make the call and when I get home and check my mail, there is an invoice from Petro oil. Why would I get a delivery when I have no contract and I told them no on the phone last month! Roma oil has a price of 2.14 per gallon....Petro’s price Is 2.99! I can’t understand how they can do this and what recourse I have. They have now charged me almost $170.00 more for oil I never asked for and told them I did not want!

Petro response

Rachele- thank you for reaching out to us. We are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction. Petro prides itself on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you and prove to you that we would love to earn your business. Please reach out directly to our Customer Service Manager, Gina. Looking forward to speaking with you. Regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

$4.349/gallon and let the fuel run out on an 86 year old woman that has had the same oil company (Manor Fuel bought by Petro) since 1966. She never knowingly signed a contract with these people. Who would do this to a customer of 50+ years? Ralph **, general manager has some explaining to do.

Petro response

Chris-We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you, please message us privately with a direct phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch with you shortly. Regards Petro Home Services

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We have been a customer for years, recently had a new heating system installed. Noticed the hot water turns cold in minutes. We pay for the premier plan which is a joke, called Friday for service. They came out needs 2 parts which 1 of the parts are not covered under the plan. Was told they'd be back the next day with parts to repair it. Get a call they won't have the parts till Monday, so what we have to go 4 days with no showers! And then we're told we have to take off work to be there on Monday, why? What is the 24/7 plan we're paying for, and why is there only 1 tech on call on weekends. That's a joke. Your 1 tech that should of picked up the parts from your supplier, didn't have time why, cuz 1 tech can't cover all the service calls. Very poor service I pay to be taken care of when I put in a call, If you had no hot water to shower, etc... would you be happy about waiting 4 DAYS. And your supervisor was rude and nasty about our frustration.

Petro response

Larry-thank you for reaching out to us. We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience. Petro prides itself on delivering the best customer service possible and our customers are always our #1 priority. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you and prove to you that we would love to earn your business. Please reach out directly to one of our Customer Service Manager. Looking forward to speaking with you. Regards, Petro Home Services

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Updated on 01/08/2019: Petro responded to my initial review on 1/3/19 and asked that I message them privately with my phone number and a good time I could be reached. I messaged Petro back on 1/3/19 with my phone number and asked that they call me on 1/4/19 after 12pm. It is now 1/7/19 and needless to say I have yet to receive a call from Petro. I can only assume that Petro responds to the reviewer so "Resolution In Progress" appears with the review and gives the impression that they have contacted the customer/reviewer and are actually doing something to resolve the issue. Petro customer service has yet to call me.

In the interim, I have begun an analysis of our oil purchases from 2014 to 2018. In my 12/28/18, I did additional research and found historical regional data on the average, low and high oil prices going as far back as 2006 for all of the counties in CT on the DEEP (Department of Energy and Environmental Protection) website. For example, our Petro invoice dated 10/15/18 we were charged $4.599/gallon. For Middlesex County, CT the DEEP data for 10/22/18 states the average price per gallon was $3.217, high price per gallon was $3.369 and the low price per gallon was $3.040.

Using DEEP Middlesex County, CT AVERAGE RETAIL HEATING OIL PRICE, please note NOT the low or high price, on the date closest to each of our invoice date and calculated the price difference and the amount we overpaid. On ALL invoices we paid more than the high price per gallon documented by DEEP for Middlesex County, CT.

For example, Petro invoice date 10/15/18 we were charged $4.599/gal. For the week of 10/15/18, DEEP low price/gal $3.040, average price/gal $3.224, high price/gal $3.369. Our oil delivery on 10/15/18 was for 107.2 gallons. The difference between the price/gal we paid of $4.599 and the average DEEP price/gal of $3.224 is a whopping $1.375/gal. Multiply that by the number of gallons purchased 107.2 we OVERPAID $147.40.

I used this same methodology for all of the invoices I had access to online from 2/17/14 - 10/15/18 we OVERPAID $2,248.1238 FOR OUR HEATING OIL PURCHASED THROUGH PETRO. 511 people so far have read my 12/28/18. Please warn anyone and everyone you know to change heating oil providers if they currently do business with Petro. Stay tuned...

Original Review: We have been Petro customers since purchasing our weekend home in Westbrook, CT in 2002. We have been on the Variable Plan Petro offers for 16 years. I have been able to access invoices online only as far back as 2/17/14. We have not been paying an "attractive rate" as the Variable Plan promises. We have been gouged and paying premium prices the whole time. On the Petro website it states, "The Variable Plan has an attractive rate that fluctuates up and down with market conditions. There are no price protection costs or termination fees associated with this plan."

By the way, the only reason I even started doing the research and looking into a new oil provider was because I did not get a call back from Petro. I called inquiring about the feasibility of replacing our compressor with a heat pump to heat our basement so we could switch between using oil and electric to heat the whole house using electric. We have solar panels and produce a good amount of power. As a result of not getting a call back, I called a local full service provider and was told the MAXIMUM PRICE PER GALLON THEY CHARGED OVER THE LAST THREE YEARS WAS $3.29. Needless to say I went ballistic and called Petro. After I explained the reason for my call, I was forwarded to Jennifer. Jennifer told me, as a Variable customer, the reason for the $4.599 price per gallon was because, "The variable pricing fluctuates with Petro costs which includes the cost of fuel AND PETRO COST OF DOING BUSINESS."

On the Petro website it states, "The Variable Plan has an attractive rate that fluctuates up and down with market conditions." The fluctuation implied and described in the plan description clearly has to do with the ups and down with the oil market condition NOT Petro's overhead. There is no mention of Petro costs of doing business getting passed onto Variable Plan customers.

After going back and forth with Jennifer and my suggesting it would have been good customer service and just plain nice if I had received a call from Petro and/or when I called to schedule our annual preventive maintenance on our A/C unit and/or furnace over the last 16 years, that someone would have mentioned it might be beneficial and save us money if we considered switching to one of the "Protected Pricing Plans" that Petro offers. As Jennifer kept attempting to convince me Petro was worth paying exorbitant $4.599/gallon price because Petro offers 1) better service (clearly not the case as I did not get a call back), 2) Petro is the largest provider of home heating oil in the US.

Anyway, Jennifer forwarded me to a "pricing rep" named Rich. Rich clearly has been doing customer service much longer. Both Jennifer and Rich wanted to save a customer by offering me the "Protected Pricing Plan" where I would lock in something like a $3.00/gallon rate for a year. I asked both Jennifer and Rich to explain to me why I paid $4.599/gallon when you can offer me a price of $3.00/gallon on this other plan and lock it in. Remember, the Variable Plan is supposed to offer an "attractive rate".

Petro is: 1) False advertising 2) Doing a bait and switch and purposely misleading the customer with the language they are using implying that you are going to get a good price by going with the Variable Plan and to "trust" them 3) Intentionally not disclosing that they are tacking on their business costs in addition to the cost of oil onto the Variable customers because they think they can get away with it. I do plan to take this further as I can see from the numerous one star reviews I am not the only customer being misled by Petro's advertising and salespeople selling their services.

Petro response

Jana-We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We would love the opportunity to discuss this with you, please message us privately with a direct phone number where you can be reached and a manager will be in touch with you shortly. Regards Petro Home Services

Petro Company Information