1.19/5

Need a utility company?

Maryland

Need a utility company?

191 Pepco Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

They took a refundable security deposit fee of $270 dollars and never refunded me my money as promised! UNACCEPTABLE! CROOKS! When I spoke to them about it, I had to call because they would send me only $20.00 checks in the mail and not my entire security deposit. I still to this day have not gotten all of my money back.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Horrible unapologetic robot staff. How do you have a bill for 4,000 dollars. I found out this was attached to my bill in Oct. Never showed on my bill until BAMMM FEB 2019. Threatens me that I have to pay all of it to prevent disconnection??? This was on a Mon. My disconnect is that Fri so I called on Fri morning. At first the rep was like, "This is crazy. All red flags but I am going to lock your acct until they correct it. They have to see and know this is wrong," she said..any attorney's p.g cosigned. Pissed.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Like another reviewer, I received a phone call today from a purported PEPCO phone number telling me that I had 45 minutes to get to Safeway and send them $800 in cash. I can see why people fall for these scams because the intimidation and bullying are quite intense. I couldn't understand why this man was yelling at me to pay all this money when my online balance showed $0 owed. He said he would approve a 24-hour investigation AFTER I sent the money and if it was an error in my favor all monies would be returned.

If this happens to you, keep asking them why they are sending a technician to disconnect your service for non-payment if there is no balance due. They don't have an answer and they get flustered and hang-up on you. I called the police (non-emergency number) right after he hung up on me and they confirmed not only were they aware of the scam, but they had over 25 calls just that day from victims and would-be victims. I also believe the scammers targeted so many people on a Saturday because PEPCO's customer service is closed on the weekend and there is no way to verify your account status with a live human being.

The most audacious line of the day was from "Sean, General Manager for Collections"; I asked why he was so incredibly hostile with me and his answer was that he wasn't in customer service but in collections and "human decency wasn't in his job description." I kid you not. Bottom line--Pepco doesn't have a sterling reputation for customer service for well-deserved reasons but they would never resort to such crass and crude methods of getting your money.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Pepco is very scary- read my experience and beware of having fully paid up accounts, they may still disconnect you, because their systems are so messed up. Today, I just had Pepco, the power company, tell me that they were disconnecting my service in 30 minutes. When I used another phone to dial their billing and played the $0 balance owed, and my confirmation numbers for recent payments, they said that didn't matter if my payments were up to date and that I had a Zero balance.

Somehow, they had me listed for immediate disconnect regardless of if their own system showed up to date payments and zero balance. To keep my electric on, I had to leave work, and go buy $800 worth of MoneyPak cards at an additional cost of $12. After giving Pepco this complete overpayment, the rep said they would TEMPORARILY postpone the disconnect as a Courtesy. Are you kidding me? Because their systems are outrageously messed up, I have my entire schedule wrecked. Plus, they kept asking me why the bill was not paid, when their own system reflects a Zero Balance. OMG.

Fortunately, I had the ability to go get $800 of cash and drive to the place to buy cash cards. What about the large amount of people that don't have this ability? These people would have had their Pepco power turned off even though Pepco's own systems show no balance or account issues. Horrible experience that has no logic and because of their messed up internal system, our power would have been shut off today if I had not happened to pick up a call from disconnect department. Unbelievable. Time to find another electric company.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

If I could pick another electric company in my area I would. Watch your bill people. I was charged $740 for a security deposit for being late numerous times. People have hard times but they don't care. They credited my account $100 when they were told that I was reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. So after just finishing an 18 month arrangement I'm back on for another 12 month arrangement. After writing the BBB they said "A security deposit is accessed to guarantee payment towards electric service amounts that may be owed at final billing and reduce the cost of uncollectible balances by other Pepco ratepayers." (Did anyone know this?) Why the hell am I paying for others who ditch their bill? This is crazy. I'm just late! Just watch your bill. I'm so hot right now I could spit fire.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pepco?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

If there was the option for "no star," that would have been my choice. Our rental property in DC had a transition between tenant move-out on Aug 31 and move-in Saturday Sept 1 2018, which happened to be the Labor Day weekend. The tenant that was moving out called Pepco and told them to stop billing her as of August 31. The new tenant went onto Pepco's website and filled out the form to start billing her at the address on Sept 1. It turned out that on Saturday Sept 1, Pepco turned off the power and did not turn the service back on for the new tenant.

We tried calling Pepco's customer service line, their 24-hour number listed on the website, it's impossible to reach any real person and they all eventually routed you to the message saying that their office was closed. We reported power outage and finally one person called back and told us the obvious -- that our power was cut off because its old account ended on August 31. We understand, that there may be processing time for the new tenant's account to be set up. However, the most absolutely frustrating thing was the fact we were not able to reach for any help during the three-day weekend to have the power turn back on. Our new tenant was not able to live in the house for three days.

Original review: May 16, 2018

First let me start by saying this is the most unprofessional company ever! They take advantage of low income individuals! Buyer beware (it's a necessity so they take advantage). A family member of mine on disability/restricted income called to set up a new account. They didn't tell him anything but, you have electric at --- address. The bill comes a month later. Barely any electric was used because said person is on a restricted income and it's expensive to move. The bill is $175.00. I call because said person is disabled and ask why is the bill so high. They say they charged a $120 deposit but never told anyone they charge or were going to charge the deposit! The person has a 700 credit score. I asked why a deposit when the account holder has great credit? They say they charge EVERYONE A DEPOSIT?!

Now this is dangerous because if credit doesn't mean squat why even care about credit? Why? Then person sets up a payment plan and is told they can pay $25.00 a month. When we go to pay the bill it comes to over $75.00. I call and ask why and they say, "Because you have to pay the deposit up front and because he is on a payment plan and request an extension. The deposit is NON REFUNDABLE until not one payment is late in a 12 month period!" They are not upfront with customers. They LIE, CHEAT, SCAM AND STEAL! This should not be legal! Never again! Once the person's lease is up I'm getting them away from PEPCO. I hate a cheat/thief! I'd advise all to get solar panels and save you time and hard earned money!

Original review: March 2, 2018

PEPCO should offer an energy evaluation of one's home for free as well as identify low cost ways to improve one's home energy efficiency. This would allow homeowners a knowledgeable solution to lower energy usage/cost.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I haven't experienced any problems with Pepco. They keep me informed as to how my energy usage compares with similar houses in my neighborhood. They make valuable suggestions for saving energy and money.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I set up auto pay on the Pepco website. However, the auto payment is not working at all although the website did show that my auto payment was successfully set up. Then Pepco charged me 2.7 dollars for late payment. After I realized this, I removed my auto payment option. However, there is still a scheduled auto payment pending. I have to manually cancel that auto payment. All I have experienced with Pepco online account was such annoying. Pepco's online website including the customer online account is the worst business website that I have ever seen. I would never use Pepco anymore if I have choice.

Pepco Company Information