2. Homeowners

Maryland

3.9/5 (247 ratings)

About Pepco

Pepco Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pepco?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pepco?

Original review: March 2, 2018

PEPCO should offer an energy evaluation of one's home for free as well as identify low cost ways to improve one's home energy efficiency. This would allow homeowners a knowledgeable solution to lower energy usage/cost.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I haven't experienced any problems with Pepco. They keep me informed as to how my energy usage compares with similar houses in my neighborhood. They make valuable suggestions for saving energy and money.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I set up auto pay on the Pepco website. However, the auto payment is not working at all although the website did show that my auto payment was successfully set up. Then Pepco charged me 2.7 dollars for late payment. After I realized this, I removed my auto payment option. However, there is still a scheduled auto payment pending. I have to manually cancel that auto payment. All I have experienced with Pepco online account was such annoying. Pepco's online website including the customer online account is the worst business website that I have ever seen. I would never use Pepco anymore if I have choice.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

The absolute worst customer service ever. Reps. are completely programmed not to answer or provide solutions to any problem. Consumers are entitled to adequate and reliable facts pertaining to their service, and not flippant attitudes and pass the buck practices. How does Pepco get away with charging a separate fee for procurement in addition to residential delivery fees. DOUBLE CHARGE--COMPLETE RIP OFF. No explanation other than, "THIS IS THE CHARGE and if you don't pay we will terminate your service"-no recourse except a ridiculous deposit fee attached to the next bill. This utility needs to be thoroughly investigated to ensure consumer protection.

Original review: March 16, 2017

Since Mar of 2017, I have had solar panels installed and functioning on my house. Since December of 2016 I have been receiving bills from PEPCO that have had significant errors in them. For example, my bill for February 2017 indicates that I generated sufficient energy over and above my use such that I returned 46 kWh excess energy to the grid. However, my bill indicates that Constellation, my supplier, charged me $ 99.43 without advising me how many kWh the charge was for. At my rate (.0819 per kWh), the $99.43 charge would represent a usage of 1214 kWh. This large usage is impossible because I was away the entire month. Moreover, PEPCO’s bill shows a usage of -46kWh.

I cannot get anyone at PEPCO or Constellation to resolve the differences. Constellation says it receives the numbers from PEPCO and suggests I take it up with PEPCO. The latter says it is Constellation’s error. Indeed, PEPCO’s normal unit for discussing bill problems says the problem should be handled by their Greenpower people because none of the regular people are familiar with net metering billing. The Greenpower people are essentially unreachable. I sincerely hope you can help resolve this. I do not appreciate being billed in a haphazard manner. I know the billing can be correct because it was correct from January to November of 2016. Yet, not a single bill since then has been correct and Constellation changed its billing format in November 2016.

Original review: March 6, 2017

Signed up for energy audit with Pepco on 11/11/2016. I received confirmation of submission of request right away with the following, "Thank you for contacting Pepco. Our goal is to have a representative contact you regarding the inquiry within two business days." Right away I received another email stating, "Thank you for contacting Pepco and requesting an Energy Consultation. We have forwarded your request for the November 23, 2016 appointment to the appropriate department. You will be contacted shortly. Thank you for your interest in saving energy."

No one contacted me until 11/28/16 on which day I called them and spoke to customer service. They asked me to wait till the end of the week as the energy audit people may be busy due to the holidays. Having not heard from them, I called them back on 12/8/16 and asked to talk to the manager. The customer service person assured me that someone would reach out to me immediately. I never heard from anyone at pepco after that. Being busy with work and other things, I realized it is now 4 months after my original request and still nothing has been done. I would like to register my complaint with them for inaction and false promotion of a service that they have no intention of providing.

Original review: March 4, 2017

My experience with the billing department has been horrible, deplorable, frustrating, overwhelming, degrading and I would use more adjectives if I knew them. My reason for this review is to vent!!! Maybe I will feel better. I don't understand why I don't see an improvement in my consumptions when I did what they said. We use the energy wise bulbs, changed the faucet and shower heads, insulated the piping, energy efficient appliance, installed a new furnace and heat on 12/9/17. And the frustration when you call customer service, you can never be directed to the right people! And you never get the same answer twice! We don't over consume but we use what we need! My winter bills are 50% of my income and half of what I pay for my mortgage. I consulted the Public Service Commission and filed a complaint against Pepco with them.

All they did was get a history of my bills from Pepco and said Pepco reported them as accurate meter readings. PSC gave me until March 16, 2017 to request a referee to check my meter. They did not dispute my case. The frustration is nobody is willing to fight for you or show you the next step. I just want to know what I should be doing! I held off from paying my 2/17 bill of $646.67 and on March 21, 2017 $1,167.55 is due which includes March. I feel so defeated! If anybody has any answer, I need them.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

Managing a Pepco Account - Since I have been a Pepco customer in 2007, every experience I have had has been well below mediocre. Most customer service representatives do not have a basic knowledge of Pepco policies. Many do not know how to reconcile duplicate accounts. And it only usually takes a few minutes of back and forth to notice an exasperated tone of voice from any given customer rep. It's like going to the DMV but over the phone. I understand that utilities, like cable companies, operate in local monopolies and are therefore not necessarily interested in being held accountable to their customers so much as they are maximizing margin. This review won't introduce any new commentary but hopefully will add to the masses of already existing complaints about traditional, US utility companies.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I had an old account with Pepco when I was married and when I opened a new account after my divorce, Pepco charged me without any notice or reason a security deposit of $300. When I called the company, they told me that this deposit was going to be refunded to me after a year. A year has already went by and now that I was supposed to received my security deposit back along with a state credit of $411. That was posted to my account on 12/11/16 which together makes a total of $711. I was making payments of $150 every month until August 2016, the date that the state approved my credit of $411. Today 02/01/17 Pepco sent me a cutoff notice for 02/07/17 saying that I have a past due balance of $401.12. I need a detail statement from Pepco on how they came up with this $401.12 number, because it is not available not even on their website.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

Pepco is horrible in general, but the Energy Wise Rewards program is a rip off entirely. FIRST, it's only supposed to affect your AC use. However, it's now winter and we have not had HEAT properly since we've had it. I don't know if it was a P.O.S. technician that improperly installed the thermostat OR Pepco is playing puppet master and controlling our heat use remotely. Either way, my house got so cold over the past week that we've had THREE pipes burst! NEVER had this happen with our old thermostat. This thermostat is what you call BAD DESIGN. Horrible. Counterintuitive and convoluted. Of course, Pepco isn't going to pay for the thousands of dollars in water, piping and drywall damage that their HORRIBLE program has inflicted upon us. RUN, don't walk, away from this sham/scam of a program. If I could, I'd leave Pepco and these $300+ electric bills ALTOGETHER. But what can you do in this monopolized DMV area? It's sad.

Pepco Company Information