1.17/5

Need a utility company?

Illinois

Need a utility company?

162 Peoples Gas Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have called 7 times since May 1 to get my gas turned on. I scheduled an appointment online for 5/6 for them to come between 8am-4pm. I called at 8:09am to confirm that they were coming and to get a better estimate of when they were coming. They could not give me an estimate of when they were coming but confidently confirmed my appointment with them for today. Around 2:30 I received a call from their automated system saying that my appointment is scheduled for 5/7 from 12-4pm. I have two email confirmations as well as talked to 4 reps confirming my appointment for 5/6 from 8-4pm.

When I finally got to speak to a "supervisor" Octavia, she told me (at around 4pm) that there was nothing they could do, that they couldn't do same day appointments (even though this appointment was made on 5/1 and I received email confirmation on 5/1 and 5/2 as well as confirmation verbally on 5/3 and 5/6) and I had to reschedule my appointment even though the mistake was on their end. I asked what is going to happen when they don't show up for this appointment again and was told I would just have to reschedule again. This company is an absolute joke and a waste of time.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Hi. I've been trying to add my husband's name on the bill, they confirmed his approval and it has been the 4th month that it is still the same thing. Are they so incompetent or their system is such a disaster? Except this, I was charged 50$ for the "not enough funds" action on my bank account, that's because their system could not process the payment. What is wrong with those people? Hire better people.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Unusually high billing. I questioned them and wrote a complaint since they couldn't actually tell me anything that makes actual sense. They send a tech out to take meter readings and change some device that lets their techs remote access meter data. They confided that the data they use to bill me is basically a guesswork of my usage and not based on actual usage. I challenged this because what they're billing me for is more for a huge house than a 2 bedroom apartment.

Their rep says they've been billing me for less than I'm actually using which triggers yet another question mark. No verifiable data or math, so essentially the short version here is that because it's winter Peoples Gas feels it's in their right to charge me what they consider a 'reasonable' amount based on nothing more than gut feel. With this same logic I should be able to contest and argue that I should pay what I feel I ought to pay and not what I actually consumed.

I don't mind paying the bill if it's accurate. To date they've been completely confusing and only feeding me a ton of verbal explanations that tree branch in every which way except the truth of the matter. I caught their customer rep agent several times just feeding me lies and on the spot explanations which made zero sense, only designed to pacify and circumvent legit arguments.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Tried to start new service. Keep in mind it's dangerously cold temperatures. However they refused to expedite service to me and my 1 year old. They set false expectations in expediting Service along with given the runarounds. I was told they didn't care about how dangerously cold my house was for me and my child and had to wait 3 days as the temperature drops. No empathy. No Respect. The customer service experience from HELL!!!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I think Chicago should work on getting an alternative energy source . Peoples Gas has some of the worst customer service agents I’ve ever encountered. I applied for CEDA 11/01 /2018 as this date is for SHUT OFF SERVICE. Only to learn that since my gas was shut off they closed my account so I had to reapply but they will put it on hold because of my previous balance on my old account. If that just sounded like a bit much it is because IT IS. They do not wish to make arrangements with low income residents. It is cold and I’m living off space heaters, I asked if I could make an arrangement as I wait for CEDA. They agreed I could make a payment arrangement but my service won’t be restored until the bill paid in full. I’m just saddened at their lack of respect for low income residents. And no empathy towards situations involving children. And good luck with talking to a supervisor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Peoples Gas?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

So I had a gas bill that was high and needed to be paid. I never received a single notice on my door and I was unaware of the high bill. I had someone staying in my house but came out regularly. Now I've paid the bill and I have been told it'll be 2-3 weeks before I get my gas on!!! Temperatures are going to drop significantly tomorrow. I KNOW it doesn't take that long to get a permit from the city to dig. They are full of it! I contacted my attorney and would LOVE to get a class action lawsuit going to sue them! This is unacceptable.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I am currently in a bankruptcy and ComEd system generated a bill and disconnected gas services at my house. Well at least this is the excuse that was given to me upon calling... The degrees outside was 34 degrees and temps dropped to 21 degrees last night. After contacting my lawyer so that he can re-submit documentation that ComEd already had on file, I am able to get my gas services turned back on but unfortunately I have to wait three days to have my gas services turned back on. Unfortunately I have two small children at home, one with a disability and they are telling me there is nothing they can do but wait the three days to reinstates services.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

As you may be aware Peoples Gas are working in the City of Chicago to remove all gas meters from the interior to the exterior of the home. Well what about residents with fully finished basements? Be aware the construction crew completely trashed my home & re-installed dry wall so badly & incorrectly it will cost between $800.00 to $1,200.00 to repair after having 5 professional contractors assess the work.

I am still waiting for a supervisor from Peoples Gas to look at the well below average work that was completed. No one returns calls! It's been 3 weeks where everything from a closet in the basement was emptied out & items are sitting on the laundry room floor. I will be honest. Dealing with Peoples Gas Construction Dept. is like dealing with fly by night fraudulent contractors. Despicable & should be illegal conduct that is transferred to the homeowner at the homeowner's expense!!! Something has to be done to hold Peoples Gas Accountable!!! What a scam!

Original review: April 11, 2017

People Gas receive my bill payment automatically from my online account that I setup. In January, they were unable to receive the payment amount that I was charged due to the restriction that I placed on my acc# which require notification before withdrawal if exceed $170.00. So, I unrestricted the payment amount to allow them the payment. Subsequently, the payment still did not go through. As a result, I paid manually March 16, 2017. On April 03, 2017, the payment wasn't taken out again although I gave permission for March. I understand that it was set up automatically to take the money out that didn't exceeded the set amount however, when I unrestricted the account it should've happened in March.

I talked to someone on April 5, 2017 and, they said I have to wait for 10 business days to receive my fund but, when I called April 11, 2017 the supervisor stated that I have to call back around April 17, 2017 and at that time put a request to receive my funds back and I will only receive a partial payment after they have take out for the new bill amount which is due May 3, 2017. I feel like that's Ethically wrong. My acc# is already set up online which they have access too. Furthermore, I am a full time student and I desperately need my money.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

Had a gas leak in my house and I called the gas company to come out and check it. Boy was that a mistake. It's February 11, 2017, it's wintertime and my house is like living in an icebox. The gas company (People's) shut my gas off completely and I am in a house with absolutely no heat in the wintertime! I am freezing!

Peoples Gas Company Information