2. Homeowners

Illinois

4.0/5 (188 ratings)

About Peoples Gas

Peoples Gas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Peoples Gas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Peoples Gas?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

A gas company that is unwilling or unable to switch on gas supply for an entire week from the request. There are people in far worse situations than ours (we just moved into a new place but have access to another place with heat and hot running water). We do have a baby and a toddler and were told it would be prioritized, but we just found out our prioritization request was denied. I can only imagine how many other requests they are denying, and the situations others are in. Typically we would call another gas company who would be happy with the additional business. But Peoples Gas have a monopoly, and clearly zero incentive to change their ways.

Original review: March 6, 2020

Their people could not care less about the people they provide services to. It's a classic government company. They shut off my heat in the middle of winter without warning and then told me they couldn't get anyone in for a week to turn it back on, which by the way is AGAINST THE LAW. They also would not let me talk to a supervisor outside the script reading robot. Unbelievable.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

When I move from CA to Pittsburgh, I was charged about $60 for a gas bill. I am a single person and used it just for a shower and use a stove once every few days. I asked why it is so high, they told me it is because I am on estimate bill for $60 per month. But my actual usage was only &$20 per month. If I want to pay just for my real usage, I need to cancel the budget bill. So I did. Then I went to Europe for a month, and I see my bill escalated to $80 per month, not even being there. Then having replaced my stove, not able to use it for 2 months, my bill was 180. I was very concerned about this. I called the company. However very rude person without any understanding of my situation was actually aggressive over the phone. I did not know what to do as I was at work. After listening to her for a few minutes I apologized I need to go to a meeting. She continued so I had to disconnect.

When I came home from work, my gas was turned off. I Found a notice there was a technician and because I was not at home, they had to to disconnect for a safe reasons. Please never call this company, they are not your friends. They will not help you. If you need help, look somewhere else. They are here just to take your money.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

The gas lines around my house in the street started in May and ended in June. Since then ALL the grass on the side of my house is gravel. 2/3 of the grass in front of my house was ruined. Section of sidewalk is gravel. The pavement is uneven after the poured the cement to fix the trenches where the pipes were replace but leaving damaged pavement along where the curb was and in the middle of Addison Rd. where the concrete and pavement is uneven. Besides all the noise and dirt from the construction I now have a cracked foundation from the buses and trucks running over the uneven pavement causing my house to shake and things rattle in my kitchen. Who is going to replace. I should not have to put a claim in to my insurance company when the city and gas company are responsible for the damage.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have called 7 times since May 1 to get my gas turned on. I scheduled an appointment online for 5/6 for them to come between 8am-4pm. I called at 8:09am to confirm that they were coming and to get a better estimate of when they were coming. They could not give me an estimate of when they were coming but confidently confirmed my appointment with them for today. Around 2:30 I received a call from their automated system saying that my appointment is scheduled for 5/7 from 12-4pm. I have two email confirmations as well as talked to 4 reps confirming my appointment for 5/6 from 8-4pm.

When I finally got to speak to a "supervisor" Octavia, she told me (at around 4pm) that there was nothing they could do, that they couldn't do same day appointments (even though this appointment was made on 5/1 and I received email confirmation on 5/1 and 5/2 as well as confirmation verbally on 5/3 and 5/6) and I had to reschedule my appointment even though the mistake was on their end. I asked what is going to happen when they don't show up for this appointment again and was told I would just have to reschedule again. This company is an absolute joke and a waste of time.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Hi. I've been trying to add my husband's name on the bill, they confirmed his approval and it has been the 4th month that it is still the same thing. Are they so incompetent or their system is such a disaster? Except this, I was charged 50$ for the "not enough funds" action on my bank account, that's because their system could not process the payment. What is wrong with those people? Hire better people.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Unusually high billing. I questioned them and wrote a complaint since they couldn't actually tell me anything that makes actual sense. They send a tech out to take meter readings and change some device that lets their techs remote access meter data. They confided that the data they use to bill me is basically a guesswork of my usage and not based on actual usage. I challenged this because what they're billing me for is more for a huge house than a 2 bedroom apartment.

Their rep says they've been billing me for less than I'm actually using which triggers yet another question mark. No verifiable data or math, so essentially the short version here is that because it's winter Peoples Gas feels it's in their right to charge me what they consider a 'reasonable' amount based on nothing more than gut feel. With this same logic I should be able to contest and argue that I should pay what I feel I ought to pay and not what I actually consumed.

I don't mind paying the bill if it's accurate. To date they've been completely confusing and only feeding me a ton of verbal explanations that tree branch in every which way except the truth of the matter. I caught their customer rep agent several times just feeding me lies and on the spot explanations which made zero sense, only designed to pacify and circumvent legit arguments.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Tried to start new service. Keep in mind it's dangerously cold temperatures. However they refused to expedite service to me and my 1 year old. They set false expectations in expediting Service along with given the runarounds. I was told they didn't care about how dangerously cold my house was for me and my child and had to wait 3 days as the temperature drops. No empathy. No Respect. The customer service experience from HELL!!!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I think Chicago should work on getting an alternative energy source . Peoples Gas has some of the worst customer service agents I’ve ever encountered. I applied for CEDA 11/01 /2018 as this date is for SHUT OFF SERVICE. Only to learn that since my gas was shut off they closed my account so I had to reapply but they will put it on hold because of my previous balance on my old account. If that just sounded like a bit much it is because IT IS. They do not wish to make arrangements with low income residents. It is cold and I’m living off space heaters, I asked if I could make an arrangement as I wait for CEDA. They agreed I could make a payment arrangement but my service won’t be restored until the bill paid in full. I’m just saddened at their lack of respect for low income residents. And no empathy towards situations involving children. And good luck with talking to a supervisor.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

So I had a gas bill that was high and needed to be paid. I never received a single notice on my door and I was unaware of the high bill. I had someone staying in my house but came out regularly. Now I've paid the bill and I have been told it'll be 2-3 weeks before I get my gas on!!! Temperatures are going to drop significantly tomorrow. I KNOW it doesn't take that long to get a permit from the city to dig. They are full of it! I contacted my attorney and would LOVE to get a class action lawsuit going to sue them! This is unacceptable.

Peoples Gas Company Information