Peoples Gas

Illinois

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

It takes a lot out of me to come to this point. Peoples Gas is the worst customer service on the planet. "It's never their fault". I am now 6 days without hot water. Waited all day and they never showed up, but apparently they called and left a business card at my front door... what an absolute joke, and more so, an absolute nightmare. The problem is there's nothing we can do. What other providers can I go to. The only reason they are still in business is because they are the only ones around that offer what we all need. What a scam, and an embarrassment of a company. This place has seriously sucked the energy out of me. Perhaps we should all start a support group? Good luck all...

I just received a warning on pink paper warning me that my service will be disconnected because I haven't contact them after they tried "numerous" times to contact me. They want to change meters at my condo. The issue is I never receive one letter or phone call that they need to schedule something. I called and there's a huge wait. They direct you to an "easier" way to schedule on their website and the site says they are having problems and check back in 30 minutes. Guess what? Surprise, surprise, the system isn't even up an hour later. You can call the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC) Consumer Services Division to complain which I am doing at 800 524 0795.

Peoples Gas sent us a confirmation letter when we moved then today they cut us off without warning. They are getting a bill when my pipes freeze!

I'm very confused with this company. I haven't had gas since 2012. I moved into my own house and wanted to reconnect service. Long story short bill is paid already then they asked me to send in my lease, my id and social because apparently someone else tried to get gas at my house which is odd but I sent it anyway. Now a rep from residential services suppose to call me within 2 business days to ask questions and take the hold off my account so I can finally get a date to reconnect service. Now they recieved my info the 29th of last week and here it is the 4th day and no call.

I keep calling and they keep saying "we sent them a email, they should get in touch with you." So everytime I ask to speak to a manager they transfer me to the excavation team and they say the same thing. I have a 1 year old asthmatic and 2 smaller children. We haven't been able to enjoying our home due to the cold and having to eat out all the time and my light bill is sky high because of the heaters being On nonstop. I just want my gas in. I hate to see my kids suffer. My daughter is in and out the hospital nonstop and they still don't care. I'm over the top with this mess.

The lies and nonprofessional employees that work there as well as the so called Supervisors actions and attitudes is horrendous to say the least. It does not require a technician to come to disconnect services, so why should there be one to reconnect when all that needs to be checked is on the outside of the unit? I have been inconvenienced by People's Energy on a reconnect for almost a month. This is not an CUSTOMER ERROR but a People's Energy ERROR and it is NOVEMBER... It is cold outside and yes, I too have children to consider and the fact that no one cares is unbelievable. I spoke with Mr. ** (Supervisor) on a recorded line and he knew it was a P.E. error and still did nothing... NOW WHAT???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Peoples Gas?

I understand that you have other customers to take care of as well. My complaint is that I paid my gas bill because it was disconnected for a couple of months but I paid my gas bill Thursday, Sept 10, 2015. I have a infant child at home with three small children and I live in Chicago, IL 60623, and where I live it's cold and remind you I have a infant child and three small children. I'm trying to figure out why I should have to wait September 15, 2015 for them to turn my gas on. I believe y'all People Gas company should care if it's children in the home without heat and hot water. It's been too long since I have heat and hot water. I wonder why People Gas couldn't turn my gas on today... I need my service on today. Please and thank you. My number is **.

My roommate and I moved into a new apartment in Chicago in August of 2015. Before we moved, we called Peoples Gas to have them switch the account into our names. The previous tenants were still "using" the address even though they did not live there anymore. We were told we had to wait. About 1 week and 2 weeks into living in our new place we called again to have them, once again, switch the gas into our names. Again, we were told they could not. On August 30th, 2015 our gas was just shut off. No warning, no note. Just done. We had called three times previously and were told there was nothing we could do and now we had no gas.

Upon calling, they told us we had a hold on our account because we had to fax over a SS card and license, THEN 24-48 hours they would get back to us. Well, 48 hours has come and gone and no call. So I called again today, September 4th and the woman is now telling us we need a confirmation number from our fax (never told us that before, and they already have our fax) and a copy of our lease. Both are bits of new information. They never called to tell us there was a problem (which was not part of the stipulations from before). If you have a choice, do NOT use Peoples Gas. Our leasing company requires us to use them, otherwise I would not. Not worth the effort and they are all robots on the other end of the phone.

Peoples Gas came out and dug up my parkway in December 2014 to shut off gas in order to tear down an old house. They came back in the spring and did even MORE damage to turn on gas service to the new construction house. Supervisor on site promised me they would be back to fix it. I made calls on 7/28/2015 (Mercedes), 8/7/2015 (Chiquita), 8/31 (Kaitlyn... who promised a call back from a supervisor in 4 hours). Someone named Mrs. ** called me while I was on a conference call and instructed me to call back, where I was told to leave a message and wait 24 more hours. I have done so, with no call back. I just left a message on the "supervisor voicemail" again on 9/1. I just want my parkway (grass between the street and sidewalk) repaired before it is winter. I cannot believe that NO ONE will call me back and give me a date when this will be fixed.

Can't get gas for a 6 weeks!!!! These idiots could not verify my personality for 4 weeks! O_o So I hadn't any chance to take hot shower or cook my food. Now then I finally got scheduled I have to wait another 2 more weeks coz representative instead this week put other one. I have no words to explain it! Mindless idiots.

My father is 79 years old and has not had a problem in almost 30 years. My father paid the bill. On today, the gas was turned off. While call Peoples Gas, it was discovered that payments were made to an old account. But the gas is shut off.

I notified Peoples Gas that I was moving and I never received a final bill. I contacted them four times during the month with no final bill. I received a call from a collection agency who stated that Peoples Gas sends all customers who cancel service to collection to ensure payment, but it does not appear on the credit report: well it did and I suffered negative consequences with creditors.

I filed a complaint with the Illinois Utility Board and received a call from a representative who said I had a history of being late. I was in utter shock because 10 years of service with over 120 payments with three payments not made on the due date, but within 30 days does not constitute a history and reporting is based on month to month: in March 2014 it was reported okay then less than 30 days I was reported. I disputed with TransUnion and to no avail the negative report is still on my credit report and my score dropped from 748 to 689. I just want the item removed because I did not deserve to be treated that way!

I've been a Peoples Gas faithful customer since 2013 when I moved into my home and signed up on budget plan, until I missed a payment because I didn't get the bill. Did not go paperless since I like to review my statement for discrepancies. I've made payment arrangements but the amount exceeds my weekly paycheck amount to pay. Each time I call it takes more than 30 min to answer. If calling almost to closing, customer service drop the call. It really infuriates me to wait a good 45-60 min for CS to answer for them to disconnect the call. Received a final notice for disconnection with a $2000 balance and a second one for $1747.00 so they're not even crystal clear as to really which amount it is we owe.

I made a minimum payment last month of $650 dollars to avoid disconnection and this month and it did not significantly lower the balance owed; they request another $850 dollars before the end of the month, not to mention the bills just keeps getting higher and higher like a Tetris game. They've reported me to the credit bureau already. It's just frustrating not been able to arrange anything that suits our income since we live paycheck to paycheck and are willing to pay. Can't qualify to any assistance program either as most resources average income before taxes. No alternate gas company since it's a monopoly. It has given me such a headache. I might as well cancel it out and change my entire house for an electric heating system. Frustrated and dissatisfied with the service and the rude reps.

I recently moved into my new place. I signed up for People's Gas and I got an email a few days asking me to send two forms of ID and my lease. I faxed that over that day I got the email. I received a bill a few days later which I paid the following day. I thought everything was fine until a month and half later when I got 4 calls from my landlord. The People's Gas were there shutting off my gas- cause of unpaid bills. I found out that the person who lived there before me had an outstanding bill of over $2,000.

I called them to explain that it wasn't me and they need to turn my gas back on ASAP. They said they could not do that- that they needed proof from me- which I already had sent them. I just resent it where they said they would contact me within 24 to 48 hours- which I won't hold my breath but they didn't hesitant cashing my check and gave me NO warning about turning it off because someone else who I don't even know didn't pay their bill. I feel this is somehow illegal and terribly wrong. People's Gas is just the worst of the worst businesses and they should be shut down for terrible they are. But from what I am gathering from other complaints they aren't so quick to come back out and turn my gas back on. What can I do to make this a faster turn around time?

Received no shut off notice. Bill date 6/5 $381.00. Turned off my gas on 6/8, paid bill, can't get service until 6/12. This is not right. Rudest customer service I have ever had! Need another option for service.

I called to set up an account with Peoples Gas before I moved into the unit. However, since I did not have an account with the company prior to the move, I had to verify my identity at a third-party to do so. That is fine, and I complied to their policy, verified my identity, and submitted the confirmation number to People's Gas.

Fast forward two weeks, I have still not received a call from the Enrollment Services department. I have been following up with their customer service line daily, and continue to receive what seems to be the standard, boilerplate response of "I'm sorry, but you really should have gas by now." I have confirmed on multiple occasions that I have done my due diligence, all information has been submitted, and that Enrollment Services will be contacting me within 24 hours. This has not happened!

I have requested multiple times for management to call me in order to discuss this issue. Much to my chagrin, I have yet to receive a call from any supervisor, and customer service refuses to let me speak to one citing company policy. I cannot get a straight answer or any help in resolving the matter, and continue to live without any amenities that should have been provided to me upon arrival. The gas line should not have been shut off to begin with!

I recently tried to get service and was told that I had an outstanding bill from 23 years ago. I told them that was impossible since I didn't live in the place they said it was from. They told me in order to get service I had to file a police report, put the bill on my credit report, contact the credit bureaus and a few other things. I then asked why wasn't the bill in collections and they couldn't tell me. I even went further to ask for a payment plan to pay the bill off and they refused to do that. The bill is for $1,578. I have to pay it in full on order to get service in my name. The bill isn't mine and I'm not putting it on my credit. I'm trying to clear my credit up.

How do you send someone a bill for 1200 then when you call them they tell you your account balance is 2000. Wtf??? Then ask them why, they come up with a dumb excuse like the bill comes out ahead of time. What? I need a good lawyer.

I was reported to the credit bureaus because of a missed payment even after their policy states no payment shall be received by them until after 45 days of cancellation. How does this make any sense!? Why report me if I'm willing and able to pay!? Why do I need to continue to pay even after I have closed my account with Peoples Gas? What service have you been providing if I have no bills to my name!?

I've faithfully paid my bill in full (even in the winter when it went as high as $300) since I've been a customer. At my current place of residence Peoples Gas came and shut the entire building down because one unit had "an illegal connection" and the service tech was unable to gain access into our building to turn off that 1 particular unit, so they shut us all off!

I called in to Peoples Gas to ask for some type of credit towards my bill or just see what they could do to appease the situation. These people had no sympathy for me at all, all they said was that "they're sorry for the inconvenience" - mind you I have no heat, can't take a hot shower, can't wash my hair, can't cook - of me having to be an innocent victim (more like collateral damage) in this situation. To make matters worse I was told by 1 representative that everyone in the building received a notice and when I told her I didn't receive a notice she switched it up and said my building's management received a notice (which they claimed they didn't either).

I talked to a different representative the following day and I was told that I didn't receive a notice because I had an active account and only units with inactive accounts received the notice - what sense does that make??? So my gas was turned off without proper notification and yet they still weren't willing to do anything. I requested to speak with a supervisor... I'm still waiting to get a "return call" from 1... tomorrow will make a week since I've been dealing with this craziness.

I paid the bills but called to get an explanation. I was told that no agent had access to my budget bill summary. So, the agent said there was no way to answer my question. Early one morning, one agent hung up on me before I could even ask the question. Otherwise, the service is good.

I have a high gas bill. Call in to get help on bill. Was put on a payment plan. Was not able to keep payment plan because of amount of payment I had to pay. Had I none the payment was so high. Never would have got on payment plan. I know I need to pay my bill but I need help and can't get it and also I had a medical certificate on my account when I was at ** sent. I have move to ** and my medical certificate can not be transfer but to my understanding you can have it for a year and I was placed on the plan on June 18, 2014 and when I move it canceled out and the reason I move for the ** address, my family was a victim of a crime. So me and my family were relocated and I have proof so if I did not move I would still be on the medical certificate for my son **.

I think my gas service should be place back on my certificate. Also call two days ago talk to someone team leader and they could not help me. Ask to speak with a supervisor person, talk told me someone will call me back in two days. I don't have two days or 241.63. I need to pay by April 20, 2015. Call two days ago. Talk to team leader. Told me I need a new medical certificate and when I get it faxes it over because the one I have on file expire. Call back in two days. I was told it was denied because can only be on it for a year. You can call me at **. My gas will be shut off after April 20, 2015. My son has diabetes.

As I was checking my credit history a charge of $123.00 was posted as a unpaid bill from Peoples Energy. I have never done business with them, received a bill to dispute or don't even know who they were. Calling their service dept. was a waste of time. They needed a account no. to assist me. I don't have a acct. with them.

I inadvertently made an electronic payment to Peoples Gas. I have requested a refund for about a month. I've called around 4 times. Each time I get another delay or another request from them. The conversation today they told me I was denied for my refund. The representatives #s ** today told me that after I send in my proof of payment they would put in a request to approve it, then if it was approved that I would get my money in about a month. I am a customer in good standing and never pay my bill late.

I just completed one of my rental home and was about to rent it. I returned to the house to find out that the gas was shut off by accident, in this cold February 2015. I did not want to believe my gas was off when I saw Peoples Gas' flags posted into the grounds in front my house. I rushed into the house and it was extremely cold. Due to the fact that the gas was turned off, the water meter burst allowing water to run freely into the house. Water filled the laundry/furnace! I rushed to turn the main water line off and called my HVAC man over to check the boiler. He also saw the posted flags from Peoples Gas and asked why was the gas turned off. We both tried turning on the stove and it did not come on in the now frozen house.

I called Peoples Gas emergency number to report. Before Peoples Gas came out, I called the second time and the person admit that it was accidentally turned off. When Peoples Gas' two workers pulled up, one of them immediately dug into the ground and began to work. Then he asked his partner to go inside of the house and turn on the stove. Of course the stove then came on and they proceeded to tell me that the gas was not off. It was crystal clear the gas was turned off. Both Peoples Gas' workers continued to work, checking the meter and doing what they had to do. On top of wrongfully shutting off my gas, they caused so much damages and the two workers came out to insult my intelligence by telling me, "Gas was not off".

What can I do now? I'm at a lost. Waiting for the water department to replace water meter. It's been more than 14 hours waiting for City of Chicago, Water Department. Today I will find out if this problem being without gas for days has destroyed my boiler. How can Peoples Gas do this to me when I have been paying my bill? This is about to run me out of business at that location. God help me!!

After trying to start service for over two weeks, and waiting on hold for approximately three hours total (at least thirty minute waits for two minute replies) Teco needed to review my account for an ex-roommates bill (in their name). I explained to them the situation, that it was their responsibility while I was out of town to take care of it, and upon them not doing as such they were kicked out. Teco exerted their mob-like business etiquette by holding service hostage at the expense of a bill in under my ex-roommates name. I'm furious. Two weeks, and hours of my time to the incompetent scum of a corporation Teco! Only to be without hot water or gas in the cold of winter. The best part is they're the only gas company able to provide service to my home!

We happily sold our condo & bought a house. Both Peoples Gas and ComEd acquired a forwarding address and informed that our final statements would be mailed. True for ComEd, nothing after 4 wks from Peoples Gas. I called, they reported I should receive something shortly. The next week, I received a call from collections regarding my Peoples Gas account. I was confused as to why I'd be in collections when I was awaiting my final statement. Regardless I paid the account in full, including the late fee they chose to include. This all made my account technically 35 days late.

Flash forward to six months later. We decide to apply for a HELOC. Quickly, the bank informs me our application will be turned down with me on it. However, we require my income to qualify. I asked why there was a problem, again confused because my credit has safely been above 750 for over a decade, and they informed me it was because of a derogatory remark reflecting serious delinquency on a Peoples Gas account. I contacted Peoples Gas immediately and was informed that a late fee of around $15 had been in collections since May.

I explained that my total final payment six months ago included a late fee & my account should have been closed. This information was confirmed and I was informed the fee was waived...clearing my account & making it current & closed with a zero balance as of my final payment date. They also sent me a letter confirming this action. So now what's the problem. Since October, my credit report still reflects this account as a serious delinquency, a charge-off account, and 90-160 days past due. They have updated my account balance to reflect $0, however, despite several bureau disputes they will not remove the false derogatory remarks.

I have called Peoples Gas on numerous occasions and they have reported to me that my account has been reported accurately & confirmed that in their system it is not a charge-off account & confirmed that the collection activity following the final payment should be removed because they did in fact waive that fee. This would also make my account NOT 90 days late. So, they confirm this on the phone & then I ask for the info in writing so that I may submit it to the credit bureaus myself and they tell me they cannot do that because my account is closed. Really??

When I asked if they'd please update the bureaus accurately, they said they also would not report anything because my account is closed. I said "You just reported to me exactly what needs to be reported" to which the rep then changed her story and told me that Harris & Harris (the collection agency) actually handles the reporting and gave me their number. Of course I called right away only to find out what I already knew...

This last statement was indeed a lie. Peoples Gas is in fact the reporting creditor & will do nothing more to help me clear up this error that will follow me and damage my credit throughout the next decade. I am at a loss. It makes zero sense that they can't simply just put my account number on a letterhead document and bullet point what they have confirmed for me over a handful of times. No skin off their back & helps me tremendously. You'd think my spotless account with them since 2003 would help out...apparently not.

My heat has been off since Saturday the 3rd. It has now been 9 days since I've been warm. The temperature has been as low as -20 this last week and I haven't taken my coat off in so long. I've been sitting in front of space heaters forever and have to alternate between my pets and me being warm. My turtle actually froze to death. I've called multiple times every day and receive the same response every time, "There's nothing we can do", or "They should be calling but we don't know when". I don't ever get angry with the people on the phone because they work for the company. It's not their fault. It's the companies. They need to be better equipped to answer questions and help customers get gas. A little dramatic, but if I had died, they probably would have said "There's nothing we can do".

I sent all types of information that People Gas requested like a year and a half ago to investigate my case and I received no response after a year and a half ago, so I called to check the status of my case and the service representative told me my case just got opened 2 months ago October of 2014 and I'm in the process of buying a home and I obviously can't get gas turned on and it's holding me back from looking into buying a home. Why does it take soooo long to finish the case? I gave numerous paperwork that states that I never stayed at the address in question. It shouldn't take this long an furthermore I found out that all you need is a SS number and a name. You don't even have to show your face to get service turned on, that's why so many people are facing this problem, people should have to show their face and be recorded so these identity cases can't happen.

It's been 2 years since I have been able to afford heat in my house. I finally have a small window of opportunity to re-activate and People's Gas gives me 1 PHONE CALL [no voice-mail], and this is expected to be okay? In addition, the "blue note" that was posted by Technician, according to the Supervisor, could've been "blown away." Really, that's the excuse?! A blown away note?! There was no getting through this Supervisor. It was the worst experience ever. A couple of hours later I get a voice-mail after insisting we were going to talk to our Alderman, Citizen's Utility Board and Media and the conversation being recorded, People's Gas called us back and stated they wanted to deliver service to us and again between such and such time, and again, NO ONE EVER SHOWED UP. We spent the rest of our evening looking like little puppies out the window for our heat. This proves that their name should changed from People's Gas to - Monopoly Gas. I can't even re-activate with another service provider.

I want to cancel this service, but the winters in Chicago can be excruciatingly brutal. What else can we do but wait until this company lifts their big stomping foot from our dignity? What mostly irritates me about all of this, is the Supervisor not letting me talk to anyone else other than him [or much rather, wait 1 business day to speak to HIS Supervisor]. Sadly, we cancelled our plans to have a fragile family member stay with us because 1. The deposit we made was gone to obtain heat through another source [a space heater]. 2. We couldn't talk to anyone to hear our emergency situation 3. We would've invested in said heaters rather than spending our money on People's gas.

Our Landlord even told us that he's needed service before and has seen the Technician drive off without even knocking. It really makes you wonder why we never found the mysterious note, that is a standard procedure to post, according to Supervisor. With that being said, I would love a copy of that "blue note." We've gathered our change and Christmas money to fix our doorbell situation, and offered an alternative number for calling; let's see if such technician really does his job this time.

One star, because I can't give negative stars. I have been a client with People's Gas for over four years, at this address. Which is not a choice, exactly, because there are no other options. They are the epitome of corporate thievery, in my opinion. Being new to Chicago, I had never had a company "estimate" my utility usage, based on the previous tenant's usage, and then continue to piggyback that estimate, over the years. It wasn't until I had turned off all of my gas appliances in my home for several months that I realized they were just continuing to charge me for whatever they felt like. I continued to pay a "delivery fee" for several months, and finally asked them to come out and just lock the meter. I'd be better off without any gas, to turn on. Really.

I argued with several non-caring customer service people, who apparently answer the phone from Atlanta, and finally they agreed to set up an appointment to come out and lock the gas, since they would not agree to my reading my own meter, which I have photographs of. On the appointed day, I stayed home from work so that I would not miss the appointment, and no one ever showed. They had left a phone message, the night before reminding me, but when I called, I was calmly told that there was no service call scheduled, and I would have to continue to pay the delivery fee, until they could get someone out in a couple of weeks. I finally told them there was a gas leak, at which point the girl hung up on me. She said I was lying. I called again, and they sent someone right out. Turns out there was a gas leak.

He put in a new meter. He said he was appalled at the "estimated reading" on my bill as opposed to the actual meter reading. When I asked for a receipt, he said that I'd just have to trust them. I asked when I would get my deposit back, and he answered, "Ha. Good luck with THAT!" And, he was right. They adjusted my last bill. They admitted that they owed me $36. They owed me lots more than that, but I realized I'd have to go through a lot, to get them to alter several months to maybe years, to get it all back. They said they would return my deposit of $126 and the $36, via check.

Well, today, I got the check for $85. They deducted the $36 back out, but that doesn't even add up. I feel that complaining here is doing very little, so I will also be filing a complaint with the better business bureau, next week. I doubt that will do anything either, and they can continue right on, gauging the citizens who work so hard to keep their families warm, here in Chicago, and have no other option. I've called so many times that I've lost count. I've lost my patience, and apparently an unknown amount of money, over the years. But at least I have my dignity, which I don't see how anyone who works for People's Gas, could ever say. It's embarrassing to think, that there are people in this country, who take such advantage of others.

Peoples Gas Company Profile