2. Homeowners

Illinois

4.0/5 (241 ratings)

About Peoples Gas

Peoples Gas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Peoples Gas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Peoples Gas?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I think Chicago should work on getting an alternative energy source . Peoples Gas has some of the worst customer service agents I’ve ever encountered. I applied for CEDA 11/01 /2018 as this date is for SHUT OFF SERVICE. Only to learn that since my gas was shut off they closed my account so I had to reapply but they will put it on hold because of my previous balance on my old account. If that just sounded like a bit much it is because IT IS. They do not wish to make arrangements with low income residents. It is cold and I’m living off space heaters, I asked if I could make an arrangement as I wait for CEDA. They agreed I could make a payment arrangement but my service won’t be restored until the bill paid in full. I’m just saddened at their lack of respect for low income residents. And no empathy towards situations involving children. And good luck with talking to a supervisor.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

So I had a gas bill that was high and needed to be paid. I never received a single notice on my door and I was unaware of the high bill. I had someone staying in my house but came out regularly. Now I've paid the bill and I have been told it'll be 2-3 weeks before I get my gas on!!! Temperatures are going to drop significantly tomorrow. I KNOW it doesn't take that long to get a permit from the city to dig. They are full of it! I contacted my attorney and would LOVE to get a class action lawsuit going to sue them! This is unacceptable.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I am currently in a bankruptcy and ComEd system generated a bill and disconnected gas services at my house. Well at least this is the excuse that was given to me upon calling... The degrees outside was 34 degrees and temps dropped to 21 degrees last night. After contacting my lawyer so that he can re-submit documentation that ComEd already had on file, I am able to get my gas services turned back on but unfortunately I have to wait three days to have my gas services turned back on. Unfortunately I have two small children at home, one with a disability and they are telling me there is nothing they can do but wait the three days to reinstates services.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

As you may be aware Peoples Gas are working in the City of Chicago to remove all gas meters from the interior to the exterior of the home. Well what about residents with fully finished basements? Be aware the construction crew completely trashed my home & re-installed dry wall so badly & incorrectly it will cost between $800.00 to $1,200.00 to repair after having 5 professional contractors assess the work.

I am still waiting for a supervisor from Peoples Gas to look at the well below average work that was completed. No one returns calls! It's been 3 weeks where everything from a closet in the basement was emptied out & items are sitting on the laundry room floor. I will be honest. Dealing with Peoples Gas Construction Dept. is like dealing with fly by night fraudulent contractors. Despicable & should be illegal conduct that is transferred to the homeowner at the homeowner's expense!!! Something has to be done to hold Peoples Gas Accountable!!! What a scam!

Original review: April 11, 2017

People Gas receive my bill payment automatically from my online account that I setup. In January, they were unable to receive the payment amount that I was charged due to the restriction that I placed on my acc# which require notification before withdrawal if exceed $170.00. So, I unrestricted the payment amount to allow them the payment. Subsequently, the payment still did not go through. As a result, I paid manually March 16, 2017. On April 03, 2017, the payment wasn't taken out again although I gave permission for March. I understand that it was set up automatically to take the money out that didn't exceeded the set amount however, when I unrestricted the account it should've happened in March.

I talked to someone on April 5, 2017 and, they said I have to wait for 10 business days to receive my fund but, when I called April 11, 2017 the supervisor stated that I have to call back around April 17, 2017 and at that time put a request to receive my funds back and I will only receive a partial payment after they have take out for the new bill amount which is due May 3, 2017. I feel like that's Ethically wrong. My acc# is already set up online which they have access too. Furthermore, I am a full time student and I desperately need my money.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

Had a gas leak in my house and I called the gas company to come out and check it. Boy was that a mistake. It's February 11, 2017, it's wintertime and my house is like living in an icebox. The gas company (People's) shut my gas off completely and I am in a house with absolutely no heat in the wintertime! I am freezing!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I applied for gas service at my home through Peoples Gas. When they arrive to turn on my service I was told there was a gas leak that would need repair. At that time the gas wasn't turned on. I notified the owner of issue where the pipes were all replaced. I called the gas company again where they sent out a tech. Now my gas is off because the tech never closed the job, I was accused of stealing gas. They have noted the problem however will not come out to turn the gas on. This is unacceptable. It is winter out in Chicago.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

I have been trying to make updates to my account while on vacation in New Zealand, but their website is not accessible. This is a serious issue in terms of customer service. How am I supposed to update my payment method if their website doesn't work internationally? All other websites load fine, it is specific to the peoplesgasdelivery.com for some reason.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I have fallen a bit behind on my bill, and this company have the audacity to send me a letter requesting that I pay a $288 deposit due to slow payment!!! Are you kidding me, I have had service with this company for almost two years, I already paid a deposit, why in the heck do I need to pay another one!? How is this even possible, People's Energy is the epitome of a greedy company? The ONLY reason why this company get away with actions like this because there's no competition! It's the only company that is providing service to the Chicago area. So now my bill is going to be outrageous because I've been ordered to pay this deposit. This type of nickeling and dimming has to stop. I'm going to take my complaint as far as I can!

Original review: May 24, 2016

It takes a lot out of me to come to this point. Peoples Gas is the worst customer service on the planet. "It's never their fault". I am now 6 days without hot water. Waited all day and they never showed up, but apparently they called and left a business card at my front door... what an absolute joke, and more so, an absolute nightmare. The problem is there's nothing we can do. What other providers can I go to. The only reason they are still in business is because they are the only ones around that offer what we all need. What a scam, and an embarrassment of a company. This place has seriously sucked the energy out of me. Perhaps we should all start a support group? Good luck all...

Peoples Gas Company Information