New England

1.2/5 (469 ratings)

About National Grid

National Grid Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Grid?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Grid?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I was having multiple problems understanding my bill, changing address, finding account numbers. When I called I spoke to a young man named Joey. He calmly walked me through every issue I had. He was professional, upbeat and had a great sense of humor. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

Confirmed day/ time between 8am - 4pm for them to manually turn on power. At 3:45 pm, freezing house & no power. No one ever came. They LIED in reasoning saying "load not off". I made sure the main breaker was off @ 7am.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

For 2 weeks I called Nat Grid to confirm moving details and I spoke to 4 different reps with each giving me different incorrect info. I opened my account in 2012 when I bought the house. Now in 2021 I’ve sold it. Buyer can’t get account in their name because in 2007 an inspection was due based on work that owner had done that required an inspection. NO one told me this until a day before the house was scheduled to close. So now the city of Buffalo has to do the inspection. But I can’t reach anyone in the elec insp dept so; needless to say, the house is not closing until the inspection is resolved.

Nat Grid has the worst, most uninformed customer service reps EVER. If they had told me about this two weeks ago everything would have been resolved. They created a situation that is so unacceptable words cannot describe. Because of something that happened in 2007 (15 years and 2 owners ago) they won’t let the new buyer open an account; therefore, the house cannot close due to National Grid's incompetence.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

Every time I try to pay my bill online, the website is so slow and the page doesn't open at all. Whoever created and designed the payment page needs to quit and be replaced already. Please hire someone else to fix it. It's annoying.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

This company is complete trash. My poor 70 year old grandmother is expected to have no power for 4 days. It is below freezing. Wow. Just wow. Let her and her animals freeze. She's called to try and beg them to fix it but they won't even take her calls. Wooowww.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

This utility company handles both Electric and natural gas in our state. We wait quite a while to get our power turned back on. People in my state pay a lot for both utilities owned by the same company. Our state allows this. Poor people do not stand a chance in RI.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

1) They opened my gas account but without my name on it, they threaten to close the un-named account. 2) Finally they added my name, but they over-added, they add my name to my neighbor's account also. 3) When trying to open a new account, they need me to send my IDs through email to them to verify, however, the recipient's email inbox is full, my email got rejected.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I contacted this company well over a month ago to start electric service. I fax them all the proper documentation. After two weeks I called and they said they didn’t receive anything so they set me up on the phone. They told me that someone will be in contact with me within five days. That was three weeks ago. And no one has contacted me. I’ve left numerous messages and nobody ever returned my call. I lived in Florida for 33 years and when you wanted electric service you make a phone call and within a day or two it was all taken care of.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

They are the worst. If you can go elsewhere run from this company. I pay by check every month without any problems. I go to make payment for this month my account is locked, so I call customer service. Explain the situation and the representative tells me my account is locked because I returned a check, which I did not. So I went though every payment with her and she verified that they received all the payments (again no missed payments). So when I asked why is the account blocked from me paying by check her response changed to I put in the wrong account number and it immediately blocks me from paying by check for 6 months.

When I said to her, "You just verified every payment was received by N.G. that was made by check how is it possible that I put in the wrong #." That's when the rudeness started. So apparently N.G. wants you to pay by credit card so they can charge you a hefty fee. So now I am stuck buying stamps and envelopes to mail in my payment, which is cheaper than paying by credit card. They are by far the worst gas company ever. Due to work I have lived in other states and abroad and never had this problem. Moved back to NY and got stuck with National Grid because Con Edison does not serve gas in this area. Run from them if you have options, just look at the reviews.

Original review: April 27, 2021

I wanted to pay my bill today, but I couldn't find my bill amount in details when I logged into my National Grid account. So I called customer service, a woman name "Dawn", yelled at me over the phone from beginning to end. I didn't get a chance to talk, every time I tried to ask a question, she would jump in, use a louder voice to dominate me, repeat to me that I need to switch to Firefox..., when I asked to be transferred over to a supervisor, she hung me up. I called back, talked with Linda, and asked to speak with a supervisor, again I was told no supervisor was available, then I was transferred over to regular customer service - another way to hung me up.

I simply just want to get my bill paid. I was shouted, hung up, and was treated like garbage, actually that service rep. abused me! At National Grid, customers have no rights talking to a supervisor. To request a supervisor, basically is asking to be hung up. The customer rep. is the superior. In my 20+ years using National Grid, this is the norm. I wish this company will be bankrupt soon! If anybody wants a day been ruined, call National Grid. My laptop use Firefox or not, it is not National Grip or the rep's business. If she wants to explain something for some reason, please be professional and polite, allow the customer to ask questions. I am astonished by National Grid, what an accomplishment for training such nasty rep..

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Just have a very unpleasant experience with their marketplace. I moved to my new home and have account set up on Nov 17, saw they have the Nest thermo on sales for $199 before rebate. Unable to buy it because it will take them 1 month to have data show up on their marketplace system. Chat with a bot, and bot told me I can still purchase with full price, tried it and found out there is no way to bypass the rebate eligibility checking.

Chat with supervisor and told me flat out they will not able to help me place an order manually, or give me any workaround suggestion even it's their system's flaw on data not being imported to website but only after a month. I even ask if they can give me a rain-check on after information show up -- all I want is to honor me the $199 on sale price and I will submit the rebate later myself manually, but no. I've never work with any store/retails with such a negative attitude that will not try to help a customer who want to buy your stuff. Very disappointing. I was moving from another town to this new town. Wish I can go back to NYSEG. Will talk to folks in new town to see if there is more than one electricity provider available.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I have the utmost respect for all these men and women that work in some miserable weather to bring us back light. When we had companies from other states that left their families to help N.Y. State get back on that is to me being selfless and amazing. Thank you all for everything you do stay safe and God bless you and your families. Thank you.

Marlene

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I think that National Grid might just be the worst utility company out there. Their website is horrific. It's always slow, it's far from user friendly and it takes forever to load on any given day. The wait on the phones to speak to anyone is ridiculous, I waited over 45 mins. On top of that, I have registered 3 times now for auto pay and it still hasn't gone through. To make matters worse I am forced to use them. We should be able to pick our utility companies like we can our phones. National Grid is the absolute worst.

Original review: July 27, 2020

National Grid is a terrible company. My husband and I have been so dissatisfied with them for a year and are now trying to leave. The hold times are never less than half an hour and the service is horrible. In no way would I recommend them to anyone. I tried to stop our service and I was not allowed and they are requiring my husband to be the one to do it. Horrible company, terrible service. DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: June 23, 2020

You've had years and years and years to figure out how to keep power on during hot weather when usage goes up. And you still haven't figured it out? How embarrassed are you? You have one job and after 56 years of my watching, you still can't keep the lights on. How disgraceful... You should be abolished...

Original review: March 24, 2020

If I could I put 0 stars to that company! The worst customer service I've ever had - ever. Departments can't communicate with each other at all. I got bounced around so many times on the phone I lost count. I've had an on-going issue with starting a new service. I've retold my story to employees over the phone repeatedly. No one takes ownership. A whole lot of passing the buck and leaving the customer hanging. I have spent way much time and energy trying to resolve an issue that NG called ME once - left a voice message which I cannot understand because it was corrupted - so I'm not able to talk to manager or any responsible person.

I don't understand - How is this company still in business?! They locked my gas line when outside temp is around 38-40 - I have No Heat, No Gas, I cannot cook - behind the door COVID19. That's just crazy! Service guys came a twice with one mission - to lock my gas line which was already locked! We should be united to fight against that mafia!

Original review: March 10, 2020

The worst customer service I've ever had - ever. Departments can't communicate with each other at all. I got bounced around so many times on the phone I lost count. I've had an on-going issue (new gas meter) for 6 months now. I've retold my story to employees over the phone repeatedly. No one takes ownership. A whole lot of passing the buck and leaving the customer hanging. I have spent way much time and energy trying to resolve an issue that NG called ME about in Sept of 2019. It's now March 2020. How is this company still in business?!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

My electric bill is usually $55.00-$65.00 every month with $65.00 On the high end. I have gas heat. I noticed my bill was $100.55 this month. I live alone in a duplex and am extremely aware of my lights and always only have light on which room I am in. Turns out my bill was $59.20 and a charge that said supply service was $41.35. I've never seen this so high especially as it's almost as high as my bill. I called National Grid and they're telling me it must have been my Christmas lights lol. I had surgery and never put up anything this year because I couldn't. I'm literally just in kitchen or living room which is light outside in day and I have one little lamp on till about 9 p.m then go to bed. Then she said maybe I'm cooking to much. My stove was broke for 2 months and had no element in it to cook nor do I ever cook. She then asked if I have a refrigerator plugged in, doesnt everyone? Then she said maybe my appliances are old and going bad.

Gave me a number to have someone come out to check and see if that's true. My bills are around this much in summer when I have a.c going 24/7 in summer. I had surgery and have been home for 4 months and even last month's bill was $53.00 all of a sudden my appliances are going bad? C'mon National Grid. This is just absurd. I'm living on fixed income being out of work and that's my excuses? It's my appliance getting old?. I'm disgusted with them, therefore I'm looking into another company. People... Watch your bills especially if you're on a fixed income. Rip off with no answer or solution.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I am still on hold, waiting now 40 minutes, listening to the most mind-numbing music imaginable- the same 10 note piano melody played over and over ad nauseum. I've been on a budget plan for 5 years and they last dipped into my account just 2 weeks ago. They call me today to warn me my account is scheduled for termination today, when I can the credit department listed on the bill, I get someone trying to sell me appliance insurance, calling customer service has me on interminable hold. Is this company really this mind-mindbogglingly incompetent? What happened to the day when you called someone about your bill, and they answered the phone? Better Business Bureau will be my next letter.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

It does not appear that National Grid is actually all that concerned with providing electric service. It is simpler to get a permit to carry a concealed handgun than to sign up for household power with them. Once one finally gets through the lengthy and complex process, the field people are surly and unpleasant. On the positive side, the whole experience will make you appreciate the novels of Franz Kafka more than you did before.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Tried many times to get them to change this back to the old style and they refuse.... stating everyone on their side is fine. Sure it is, you doubled my bill with the new meter. Plus the digital meters can be hacked! Claimed I needed to hire an electrician that may be an appliance was failing causing the spike... REALLY??? It's not a spike, it's consistently higher than on the previous meter. Someone needs to fix this before my lawyer gets involved and I call the local TV station!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

The worst service ever, I called to return the gas to my house. They gave me time from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm, who can be stand by for 16 hours??? In this cold weather they left me without heat. This is against the minimum human requirement. We need to think for another option. This company should doesn't deal with US people anymore.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Call National Grid on November 13 2019 to transfer the service to my name. Wait 40 minutes on the line. Finally, a lady who is not very patient and polite say the tenant leave the account with not good status, so she cannot transfer it to my name unless I provide further documents. She say the whole process take several days. What?

She ask me to email the docs to nyid@nationalgrid.com, provide two photo ID copies and ownership paper. Although she know I have another account at the same building and already verify my identity. And I pay all my bills. I asked what is not good status mean? She say that's none of my business. Okay. Make Sense. But then why I need to provide further docs because tenants are not in good status since it is none of my business. I politely say, "Thank you. I will do that." And she still in her not patient and polite channel. Sorry for National Grid.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

Power out 2 days after wind storm on lake ontario, in Nov. Fast and concerned workers, we APPRECIATE their service. Seeing them on poles in ice storms, in the middle of the night, and in dangerous situations trying to protect us....let's give them a hand wave and a thank you....

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Our area experienced an outage, although it didn't include our home... National Grid explained that we would lose power for a while. The servicemen asked permission to use our driveway to access the problem. They were extremely courteous, and assured us that any potential damage would be repaired. The repairs were made within a few hours with no problems. One of the linemen was a Scheriff, a well-known local "electrical" family.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I have been on the budget plan for years. In the past if there was an amount in my favor I would receive a notice on the bill explaining that no payment was due. If still an amount in my favor the next month I would get the same notice or a reduced bill to bring the amount to 0. This month with an amount in my favor of almost $500 my budget amount was increased to DOUBLE what I had been paying. One hour on the phone with them not answering question as to whether they have taken a rate increase and talking in circles. The double budget amount is due to rerouted meter lines. What? I asked to be taken off the budget and will see what the bill looks like next month but I do expect it will be screwed up and I will be calling again.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

After not having hot water for 5 days (National Grid, closed on the weekends...unless there is an emergency) I was able to speak with one of the workers, Lou (working on Llewellyn Place, Staten Island) and he went out of way, to get the department, needed to service us. There was trouble getting into the downstairs apartment, where the hot water heaters are located. He listened to my 'story' of being in this apartment for 5 months (losing our daughter. Our youngest, Elena 21...in a house fire on 02.07.19) .

I am overly sensitive in every area of my life & this young man, stopped what he was doing, to assist me. It takes a very small amount of kindness, compassion to change the course of someone's day. Thank you National Grid, for employees, such as Lou. People are quick to complain, but I want to share a positive experience. I sit here crying, as I stated, I am quite sensitive....after losing my precious daughter. I take, absolutely NOTHING for granted. Again, THANK YOU, Lou for being the epitome of how a GREAT employee, should interact with the public. God Bless YOU and the crew, that is here on my block, this morning.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I asked to go on their budget which they base off your last 12 months of billing. After 9 months they decided to raise my budget $30 telling me it’s based on my last 12 months. They are the ones who set the budget amount and now all they want to do is give me a runaround and talk in circles that it’s based on usage. I actually used less than I’ve paid in and not only that if after 12 months if I ended up using more than I paid in and they wanted to raise my budget I would understand. What they are telling me is that after the winter months they will lower my payment again. It seems to me a budget should be for 12 months not 9 months and then 3 months of higher rates and then lower it again after winter. The supervisor tells me I don’t understand what a budget is though! If you're looking for any satisfaction from this company you might as well go ride a merry go round because all they do is talk in circles.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

So National Grid has been working in the Street in East Boston. Never a problem in my buildings prior. (Own two buildings next door to each other.) No gas smell. Nothing. Gas was shut off for three days. When they went to turn on the gas, there were multiple leaks all over my buildings! So they locked my meters!! Had to have a plumber come out and fix. Shut off on Friday before the holiday weekend on top of it!! Needed city inspector who wasn't available until Tuesday. Still no gas. Now on hold with National Grid to get turned on for an hour. Nightmare! * day later still no gas. Is the ? Concerned about the incompetence and buildings are going to start blowing up like in Andover! Help Contact the media and whatever you do and DON'T under any circumstances let any National Grid people into your house as they lock meter and create havoc!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Another incompetent manager working for another incompetent org. Their drivers musts leave the yard and then park and idle for 30 minutes or more in front of my apartment to eat, text, read the paper, probably collecting overtime. I've called Customer Service as well as the police but they still do this. It happens several times a day/night. Isn't it illegal to just sit and idle a vehicle in NY? What a joke this company is.

National Grid Company Information