Los Angeles Department of Water and Power

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power

California

Need a utility company?

207 Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 23, 2019

Was overcharged 4x for two years and couldn't ever get anyone to help me correct or investigate the entire time. They don't care about their customers, it's massive fraud. Proven they falsed use -- When we were away on vacation or the last month we weren't in residence using utilities at all, the bill oddly lined up exactly with the last year's use. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do as a customer, and their response on the phone is "there's nothing you can do but file a dispute or hire a lawyer". They are stealing money from everyone and the worst company you'll ever interact with. I can report a stolen wallet to the police, shouldn't I be able to report much much more stolen every month from a company I can't avoid?

Original review: April 11, 2019

I just received a nearly $6000 water and electric bill and my services were shut off last week. Since I live alone, how in the hell my bill is so high!? I've paid the LADWP bills over the years being in my place, consistently (with the occasional financial issues that life brings in which I would have to scale back). The only other issues that I've had from living alone is someone going into my backyard and running my water while I was away at work (for almost eight hours or more) and other activities, three times last year!

I don't know if someone was trying to sabotage me out of spite... I have no idea! I disconnected the water hose (and away) to prevent anyone from running my water again, but the damage is done. I've fixed most of the leaks at my house, in which there only one left. But I'm on the hook for this insanely high bill! What the hell am I supposed to do?

Just after I received my high bill, I got another one stating that they're going to tack on an additional $230 to my bill. I was told it was based off from their computerized billing when I called LADWP, and tried to work out an arrangement, but they weren't having any of it, even after which I was willing to offer to pay a good chunk of it off. They want it all up front. This is ridiculous!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My water and power bill has always been pretty high because I am passionate when it comes to gardening and landscape maintenance. So It’s usually around 1000 to 1,500 dollars. About four months prior to my sudden disconnection I got a bill that was over 3,000 dollars. I was shocked because I had not been watering excessively. It had to be a leak and I planned to diagnose the issue before paying such a high bill. I have been in contact with LADWP very often through this whole stressful nightmare experience.

The more information I discovered about the process LADWP follows for leak detection the more stressed out I became. They do not cover toilet leaks, they do not cover sprinkler valve leaks, they don’t cover pool leaks, actually don’t cover you even if it’s a leak in your main line because you are required to make all payments billed out to you. At best they will grant you a credit if your leak meets the acceptable criteria so it has to be an underground leak coming from a main line. Meanwhile my next bill is just as outrageously high as the last one. I did what I could to try and work with them on making payments. I just simply couldn’t afford a 3 thousand dollar bill that had now turned into a 6 thousand dollar bill.

They did set up a payment plan with me that required 30 percent down which was about 1,800 dollars. I did make the downpayment but couldn’t afford to continue making payments on top of all of my other bills. I was also getting fined an additional 20% of my total added on to my bill for making late payments. I finally received one notice from LADWP stating that I must pay 9,700 dollars within the next 15 days or my service might get disconnected. I didn’t get any other warning from them no call no 24 to 48 hour emergency notice nothing. I made another 1000 dollar payment and the last thing I received from them was a "Thank you for making your payment of 1000. You now owe 8,700."

Literally two days later my service was disconnected. One of the LADWP reps had told me that as long as I was able to continue making payments they would not disconnect service. I have been without water and power now for almost a month! LADWP has refused to work with me on any sort of payment plan. I contacted my landlord, the owner of the property I had been living at and they refused him service as well.

A lot of state funded nonprofit organizations that are able to offer grants or financial assistance to other utility company customers that are low income are not able to help Customers of LADWP because it is not a public utility company. It is actually a private company that is overseen by the city of Los Angeles. That is what I have been told as I have attempted to contact various nonprofits that might be able to help me out. This is considered somewhat of an emergency situation and I need to get water and power restored ASAP.

Original review: March 31, 2019

The DWP Mafia is never going to stop. It's ripping off the LA consumer by fraudulent billings. Make no mistake people. DWP is City of LA! If you sue DWP then you have to serve Mike Feuer the city attorney. DWP class action helped NO one but the greedy lawyers specially the LEAD lawyer from Ohio. I keep getting bills anywhere from 750-$950. In 2013 I had a bill for $1500. I live in a 1600 SQF home. There is only 2 of us! One of us leaves at 8 and comes back at 8. My bills in 2011 used to be $200 and now it’s 4 times more!

I can’t pay that kind of money each billing cycle. It’s like a second mortgage. The city is ripping us off. We should protest in front of the DWP buildings or Mike Feuer’s office. They are doing highway robbery. The lawyers got rich and they only offered 0-$25 to consumers. Are you kidding?! That’s not even late fees. People we are being robbed. Call the state attorney, the FBI and the federal government. The DWP manager in west LA makes $120,000-$150,000 a year, he told me, "Sorry but we are behind and the cases are falling through cracks!" Are you kidding me?! 19 million were given to class attorney but consumers got screwed. Make no mistake that the lawsuit was all in the benefit of these sharky lawyers NOT consumers. Let’s protest! Let’s write to all politicians and ask for help. We are sitting ducks. DWP aka city of LA is ripping off all of us!

Original review: March 6, 2019

During the last week of Feb 2019. 5 consecutive days of water run-off by the neighbor. He ran water even on the day it had rained earlier. His house is on the higher side on this hillside. He runs water to wash down his debris and dirts from his yard and to clean his hardscape and sidewalk. Then, all of his debris run to my driveway, sidewalk, and to the street. I called 311 for help after the neighbor's water "run-off" and "washing-down" over 3 years. 311 representative informed me in detail that all were LADWP water waste violations.

I reported this neighbor's 5 consecutive days of water run-off and washing down hardscape during that week alone. Photos and videos from my outdoor camera were submitted, but DWP did not consider them as "proof" to take any action. On the 5th consecutive day, I put a sign for this neighbor "stop running water with debris." "Run-Off" is LADWP violation and a copy of LADWP water waste violation website page. He saw it and took a photo of my sign. The next day, the 6th day, he ran water again in the morning and again in the afternoon. Today, 4 days later, he ran water in the morning and then afternoon.

LADWP inspector came 2 days after my 1st report (out of 3) had been made. It takes only a few hours or less for water to dry up. There is NO possibility LADWP can catch the site with wet water unless they come within a few hours from the time of report being made. Any resident violating water waste will almost never get caught. I question if the law makers know about how these violators take an advantage of this blind spot. My experience after spending hours and hours to draft the report with photos and video clips and the response of LADWP discourage me from contributing my time for future report of violation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)?

Original review: March 2, 2019

What can I say, LADWP is worse than the cartels. I haven't received a bill for a few months now. I always get some else's. To cut the long story short they shut off my service. I been without power for 2 weeks. I work and try to keep up with my bills, but with DWP I'm always playing catch up, never see the end of it. My kids have asthma so they need breathing treatments with a nebulizer. I been taking them to my in-laws to stay while I figure out how to pay this bill that I didn't know was 1,200. I sometimes wonder if they do this on purpose to hold the mail, until maybe the customer calls, and they say (oh they caught on). They ask why they haven't gone home. I simply tell them they are fixing it, they are too small to understand what's really going. Why is the LADWP allowed to do this to its customers just leave them in the dark, cold, and not even care. Other states the electricity companies cannot turn off services from Nov to March (winter).

Original review: April 23, 2018

Rock legend Jim Morrison's (The Doors) spirit must be roaming around his "Last known U.S. Residence" taking baths! The bldg. has been under the Ellis Act with NO TENANTS since 2016 yet we received a water bill for nearly $2,000.00! The DWP claimed the 7/28/18 bill was "stuck in the system" so never went out to me until I received it on 3/30/18. Their field rep came out & observed no running toilets, no leaks, etc. I googled DWP water bill complaints only to discover they have been overbilling consumers for the past several years. Apparently there is no recourse as the PUC doesn't have jurisdiction over them. Sounds like a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT needs to be filed for alleged FRAUD upon consumers!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power has stolen billions of dollars from citizens, residence, businesses, Etc. And was only forced to pay a small portion of what was stolen back to the citizens. I am so dissatisfied with the services of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power for not getting me my refund and what I would consider as a timely fashion irregardless of the situation. I don't appreciate being delayed and strung along for over 8 months. After being electronically bullied and harassed for my money I have to wait over a year to get it? It is a shame that they treat their customers like this with no regards. I'm disgusted with how you guys are handling these situations.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

LADWP has had multiple class action suits brought for overcharging, estimating bills, or delaying billing. We called 3 times over the last 2 years asking why we have not received a bill. We were told all 3 times that we owed $0.00. We insisted this was not right but we're told that the "system says you are current and there's nothing we can do to change that."

Sure enough, today we received a PAST DUE notice insisting we over $5180 and that if not paid in full in 3 days, they will shut off our water and power. I called and they refuse to acknowledge that there was any delay in billing even though they show that no bills were issued for almost 2 years (contradiction, I know).

Reps are rude, unknowledgeable, unhelpful and generally not very intelligent at all. I suspect our credit rating will take a hit as well, all because of LADWP's mistakes.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I discontinued service in December 2016, have a $125 credit balance still pending. I don't think any commercial business could get away with this, matter of fact it could be a hefty fine. Anyone up for a class action suit?

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Company Information

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)
      www.ladwp.com