Los Angeles Department of Water and Power

California

2.7/5 (459 ratings)

About Los Angeles Department of Water and Power

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Los Angeles Department of Water and Power?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

I need a verification from LADWP that there was a power outage at my residence on November 13, 2021, that caused a false alarm, they admit this occurred but refuse to send me documentation verifying it, now I have delinquency notice from LA Police Department because of non-payment of false alarm fee, LA PD needs the documentation from LADWP to waive the fee. LADWP is financially harming the citizens of Los Angeles.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

My mother had died. I’m in the process of cleaning up her apartment. I’m not staying there Past three weeks. I just called to give them notice, to try and do the right thing so I can make sure her accounts are settled Yet they wouldn’t give me the three weeks I ask. I was told the service would be shut off right away. The answer I got was just so repetitive and answered nothing. And what’s worse they were so cold to me, The irony is.

If I didn’t call they would still have been providing services to the resident according to the supervisor and they would have a harder time later trying to settle the account So because I did them a favor and because I was honest they won’t give me the 3 weeks I ask and are punishing me for it. Just so I could have lights for the next 3 weeks and be able to charge my phone while I clean. I have to change it to my name even though I’m leaving in 3 weeks. So stupid. Lesson learned. Don’t try and help these ** companies. Next time I will just close the bank account and they can kiss my **.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

For years we have seen and read major complaints, subpar customer service, subpar service on general. Over estimated power meter reading and who can truly trust LADPW. The oversight commissioned group that are appointed by the LA mayor suppose to watch and regulate this organization. Yet many customers still get disservice, cheated, subject to duress and let's not forget over estimated power bill and delay tactics this organization uses to refund the legitimate customers.

What can we do? Do we have rights as a customer to change this awful business and their one-sided games and unprofessional business conduct they provide. They have figured since they have no other competition business wide and the customers they serve have no other choice for their Power and water services, these people can act how they want and their is nothing a customer can do. Is there an action or real legal process that we all who have been harmed by this organizations. l can take in order to protect our rights and to stop this organization from their shoddy and unprofessional business?

Apparently the previous lawsuit has not taught them a lesson. They still provide lip service, delay tactics if they owe you money or refund, they still over estimate the meter reading, they still have terrible customer non- service. Plus they are very expensive compared to other water and power departments. What can we do? Complaints are filed, cases opened, still nothing happens.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I am one person in a 600sf apartment that has no AC, no central heat, no washer/dryer, no yard, and I do not work from home or use the oven. There was a wifi router and 1 small 1500W space heater plugged in consistently from Oct-March. 07-09/2020 bill was 55$; 09-11/2020 bill was 160$, 11/2020-01/2021 bill was 135$, then 01-03/2021 bill was 908$. I inquired about this and DWP say the space heater accounts for the 6X increase in usage.

Original review: April 1, 2021

LADWP solar software was a disaster. It took them a year to get it working OK but they sprang it on the public anyways. There has been litigation on this. But, most ended up getting $20 or less BUT LADWP stole a few hundred dollars from most of these people.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

25 years ago my average monthly payment was $110/month for electricity. Now it is over $210/month. With annual amortized rate increases. My monthly payments have almost gone up 100%. If I purchase solar now with a 26% federal tax incentive my payments will now be about $210/month to purchase and never go up or down for the next 25 years or so. But if I stay without solar my payments will go up to over $850/month with the new 13% annual increase. If I go solar now I will save over $100,000 in the next 25 years. I went online to 1solar.online and found a lot of information to help me.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

LADWP is billing me for the 2 bedroom apartment unit that had been vacant since January 2020. My last period charge between 7/7/2020 - 9/3/2020 was $31.41 and now between 9/3/2020 - 11/6/2020 $226.61 for the vacant unit. That is outrageous. I made several attempt to contact them and after an hour on hold they hang up the phone or the phone gets disconnected. The building is located in West Los Angeles.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Look, I make decent money and I know that I'm not great with it. It leaves my in a perpetual state of feeling like I have less than I should. I preface this review with that because I need to explain why I didn't notice this problem until now. I just set my stuff to autopay and expect it to just be okay. I'm moving from Los Angeles to Ohio at the end of November and so I went to the website to cancel my service. Which apparently I need to wait for a few days to do because despite it being the 31st of October, the 30th of November is "more than 30 days away" and thus not an option.

This is when I noticed that my bill is $768.62. I've been out of the city, for two months of that time, took my computer with me, and turned the AC to Cool at 90 just to make sure the place wasn't burning up (dumb perhaps, whatever) while I was gone. Nothing is running there. How is it possible!? Then I noticed that my August bill is $634.31, during that time I was out of town for about a month as well. I understand higher bills in the Summer but last year was $200 less than that and we definitely ran our AC less this year out of concern for just this purpose. THEN... I noticed my June bill was $522.41, which was $241.19 higher than the same bill the year before. How?! This is insane. That October bill going through now is the really astounding one. It just isn't possible. No one is home. Maybe someone is tapped into our electricity? I dunno...

I've requested them to review these matters. I can't believe this is possibly a real bill. I've heard and seen too many complaints about LADWP mischarging people (not to mention losing in court about overcharging thousands of people). If they handle this properly, I will return here to amend this review positively. If not, I will be going to a lawyer as well as amending this review negatively.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I didn’t use my wash machine since one month ago and they are charging more than the past months. I‘ve watching when the person come to read the water and they only read the energy. The meter is outside. They have to lift the Iron plate to measure and they don’t do it.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I have taken on the care of my parents in my childhood home and after reviewing my latest bill is outrageous so I checked the meter at the curb... You can't even see the reading since the glass is so old. How can they read it then? How long have we been overpaying YEARS!!!! I wish I could upload pictures!! Getting the run around so far. New into this fight and not looking forward to it. I will keep everyone posted.

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Company Information

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)
    www.ladwp.com