Los Angeles Department of Water and Power

California

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Today I contacted DWP after noticing water charges were not on my most recent bill. The representative took a look and told me it looks like my water meter was defective and or stuck and that I have not been correctly charged for water since 2014. I purchased my home in 2013 and I know for sure I had been paying for water at some point. I asked her if a tech from DWP comes out to read the meter how could that not have been noticed that there was no reading. She then says there was a reading but they didn't notice it stayed the same and that the meter was defective! This is ridiculous. So I was advised this will be referred to a Supervisor who will arrange to have the meter swapped out and I can expect a higher bill for past charges that I will need to pay.

I can not believe this! That is not my equipment. It should be DWP's responsibility to assure their equipment is working properly to avoid this inconvenience to customers. I will explore legal action. This seems like fraud as the consumer has to just go by what DWP says. Where's the proof? I do not have access to view the water meter.

Many years ago, LADWP put a wire or line over the length of my property (approx 150 ft). LADWP a strung lines across my land without an easement. At no time was I compensated nor asked for permission. This is unsafe as trees can cut off the line and wires/line can fall over my family members, vehicles, or pet and cause injury if not death. A case in Eagle Rock happened recently too. I get no responses from calling the DWP Customer Service hotline. Based on state regulations they need a court order before they can run lines over private properties without easement. Can someone help please?

Closed my account November 1st 2015. Was told that refund ($200) will arrive within 3-6 months. It's now end of July 2016, 8 months past and still no refund. I've been 5 times to DWP office and every time they "send email to supervisor". I told them to call them - "they can't communicate via telephone" - how ridiculous is that? And "they are aware of the problem" when I tried to start a complaint. I was told to wait 4-6 weeks more. I fed up with these numbers taken out of nowhere. DWP is an ultimate manifestation of crooked bureaucratic outdated system which has no place in modern world.

I made a deposit for my electric service in December 2015 for a rental unit. Promptly closed the account in January 2016 when the unit was rented out. Received my closing bill on 1/15/16 with a credit on it. Waited a month and emailed them about the status of the refund. They told me it would take 8-12 weeks. Waited 14 weeks and emailed them again. Was then told it would take up to 6 months "because we're behind". Well, It's now 6 months and 2 weeks later and I still don't have the refund. What a joke this is.

My boyfriend, who I live with, has multiple sclerosis. I've been living with him in his house since December. Right now he has a huge dispute with the DWP regarding electricity and we've had no power to the house for about 10 months. Although they haven't provided us with electricity, we have been paying the water and trash bills consistently and on time. This morning, someone came and removed the water meter and capped off the water line to the house. We called and they said there was nothing they can do. I believe this can probably qualify as ATTEMPTED MURDER since we can't live without water. Does anyone know how we can get them to turn the water back on? We have been paying for water and trash service. Shouldn't they continue to provide those?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)?

DWP fraudulent Meter readings and/or Meter malfunctions... 1/29/16 I received a DWP water bill in excess of $2000. I was told they determined I had a faulty water meter at my house (which is underground) and since it wasn't reading correctly they went back to when they felt the best accurate reading was which was in 2013!! As a result they billed me for additional water use since that time and based it off the newest reading coming from a repaired or replaced meter. This is outrageous to me for the following reasons: How do I know that the meter was in fact faulty? Why would I be responsible for machinery I don't own or maintain? Where is the proof the meter was reading incorrectly? If it was faulty why did it take 3 years for it to be noticed?

My bill has consistently been excessive ($500+ per billing) for 5 straight years so it's not as if my bill was ridiculously low. Without any proof they can say this to anyone and just throw back charges to a consumer at will! I further argue that if a faulty meter is determined by DWP which would result in any billing dispute they should contact the resident to discuss the issue prior to taking it upon themselves then months later sending a huge bill assuming the consumer is just going to be accepting of it. Who regulates them for this type of problem. I NEVER saw anyone fixing or changing a meter on my property. How can I even be sure the previous meter or readings were faulty? If there is no proof or prior forewarning why should I be responsible for something that could be completely fabricated by the provider.

After contacting them I've gotten nowhere. All they say is that if the meter was working correctly over the last 3 years I would have had these charges anyway so there is nothing I can do but pay the amount that has been prorated. So I am posting this primarily to see if anyone else has had the same issue. A handful of consumers stand taller than 1. Who knows, maybe this kind of fraud is a pattern with the DWP. If so I want to expose them and have our monies returned.

I spent a year in California and have returned to Las Vegas. I had to give a deposit to the power company. I was never late on any payment. So when I called to disconnect I was told that the last bill could be taken out of the deposit but I had to wait until I received the final bill to request the return of the remainder of my money even though I was no longer doing business with them. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

So after I received my final bill I called again to request my own money be returned again and now I am told it will take 2 months for the return of it. When I asked why so long I was then told it was because they were behind. Hello. How can that be? Billing is all automated and how hard is it nowadays to process the refund. Not to mention I feel that they are holding my funds illegally. Isn't there laws pertaining to reasonable length of time someone can hold your money? Especially when I have meet my obligations to them. It may not be much to them but I could use the 130 dollars or so.

We learned that we have been erroneously billed and paying LA Sanitation for solid waste charges on a multi unit dwelling we own. (We have a 3rd party pick up trash so LA DWP doesn't handle trash for us.) I have been getting the complete run around when I call them. First few times they said they would come to verify that we have a 3rd party picking up trash at our site. They would call me to schedule an appointment. Of course, they never call me. I called back recently and they give me a different story. That all apartments still have to pay for trash even if they use a third party. I question the amount they have been charging. $69 every 2 months on a small studio apartment seems to be pretty hefty. They say I need to talk with the billing supervisor and the best time to reach her is after 4pm when her shift starts. I wait to call after 4pm and is put on hold for like 40 minutes (I timed in on my phone).

Then, the woman who answers the phone says the billing supervisor leaves everyday at 4pm and at that time, there were no other supervisors or managers managing the woman who answered the phone. Totally lied to me. In one DWP, we've added up over $400 that we have been overcharged. We have been paying this for years.

We manage many apartment buildings in the City of LA, and we've been greatly burdened by the cost of Solid Waste Charges that the LA DWP is charging for our property located on S. Mansfield Ave. We have never missed a payment, but the charges that DWP is allowed to pass through to us is incredibly high. Per billing cycle (each 2 months) we receive a bill of about $1200 for removing 5 trash bins from the property. Not to mention, the bins are to be brought out by us since the sanitation dept will not bring them out from behind the building. This is $600 per month in trash service alone! At a nearby property, we pay for trash service through a private company, Athens, and we get service 5x a week for the container we have there, and we only pay $450 per month. With DWP, we receive mediocre service at best as we receive many complaints of missed collections.

In September 2014 I received a bill retroactively charging me for about $9,000! I've been receiving threatening termination of services bills all through 2015 up to and until the date of this post, Jan 18, 2016. I got shuffled off to the "Field Investigations" department and was not able to get someone on the phone until 2 months ago. The agent I spoke to was "humming" in the background as I expressed my extreme frustration at being retroactively billed for such a large amount. I asked if I could have the name of his supervisor, got his number and live in "fear" every time I get a notice from them that unless I pay the entire amount or make arrangements to pay the outstanding amount that my services would be terminated. I received "estimated" bills throughout 2014 (you have to know where on the bill to see "estimated"). I am not sure if the information is accurate they are providing me.

And since this high bill was received in September of 2014 there was and IS no way I could even investigate if there was any accuracy to their claim of $1000/mo increased power usage for the 9 months. Plus they said they were "correcting" the inaccurate readings they "say" were present in my bill. I am at my wits end and am afraid my services will be terminated. It IS impossible for me to go back in time to investigate whether or not their claims have any merit and this is OUTRAGEOUS! I have until this coming Friday to come to some acceptable (to them) arrangement in this matter. Then if I am unable to, my services will be subject to termination. I do not know if there is a supervisory agency overseeing the DWP but I am in dire need of discovering if there is one. If my services are terminated I will be unable to occupy my home which is my only residence.

I received a bill on September 29, 2015, which stated that this bill was a correction of a previous bill and contains new charges. Upon reviewing closer, I read that the correction goes back as far as one year (question: why?). I called the customer service and spoke to the representative and did not get any explanation. Then I requested to speak with a supervisor.

Dionne, the supervisor from Team 8, then informed me that for an unknown reason the department decided to go back to the October 14, 2014 electrical meter reading (reading) to recalculate charges (again, why?). She also mentioned that the department was not able to get an accurate reading two consecutive times in December, 2015 and February, 2015 (why? the gate was open, we do not have a dog), therefore my billing was based on estimated reading, which were running higher than the actual reading (again, why?). When the employee input the actual reading successfully obtained in April and June of this year, the system kicked the number out of the system (twice), because that would have meant that the meter had been running backward, not forward. Yet, I successfully got charged $646.55; some of it was sewage and water portion, though.

The question I have is how do I know that these charges are real? The supervisor could not explain why, if the actual reading was less than the estimated electrical meter reading, I got charged more? The supervisor could not explain why the billing department decided to re-evaluate my bills altogether. The supervisor failed to explain why it took an entire year for them to catch their mistake, nor why the bill was sent in the end of September, if the last correct reading was done in June. Dionne did not even give me any answers as to how they determined that we had used more water in the course of the year, aside from our usual billing. Nor, did she give me any explanation as to how we managed to use more sewage and sanitation in addition to our regular billing. Many questions gone unanswered.

When I presented my scenario as to why I might have received this extra bill, Dionne informed me that if I did not pay the bill, I would have my services cut off. Here is what I think may have happened. Last October, after I received an unusually high water and electrical bill, I called the DWP's customer service and complained about the high balance. We started to dissect the bill and find out that source of our high billing was using too much electricity. The lady on the line was going line by line asking what appliances we have at home to see if we can reduce the bill in the future. We turned off the second refrigerator, changed the light bulbs to energy efficient, used less lighting in general, and, changed our windows to stop the draft. I was so hoping that the subsequent bills would reflect all our efforts of saving electricity as well as water. And it did.

I knew that investing $7,000.00 into new windows would have paid off eventually, less electricity to heat and cool the place, increase the home value, etc. And that is when someone at DWP noticed an increased electrical usage in our house. So, someone decided to alter our billing, otherwise, I do not see any logical reason to go back one year to re-evaluate our bills, electrical, water or sewage. I would like to eliminate the $646.55 bill from our records as any futile attempts from DWP supervisor did not produce any credible explanations to origination of this bill. Just like I cannot prove that my side of the reasoning behind these charges, DWP failed to provide any proof that this bill is an accurate reflection of my utilities usage.

Even though I had been told my refund was being sent to me, I didn't receive it. And weeks after I should have received it I was told the bizarre story that I owed on a bill at an address at which I never lived. In fact some astronomical figure over $700. I thought it strange because of course I had been utilizing LADWP at my apartment for a few years and had never heard about any fees due them for some other address. Convenient that they made up some charges (which supposedly occurred more than 2 years prior) at an address where I never lived when they were supposed to refund my deposit.

And now they are telling me they can't help me and that my deposit will be applied toward a balance that isn't mine. This is absolute crime and robbery. I had heard in other reviews that they purposely made it impossible to get your "refund" back but that is just so wrong and illegal I never believed it until this happened. PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE US ANOTHER UTILITY PROVIDER WE CAN USE!!! When there is a total monopoly companies commit these injustices and get away with them.

Consumer Increased Rating!

LADWP has been working with me to resolve this. I am very appreciative of their efforts and their ability to work me on this situation.

j. c. of San Pedro, CA on

Original Review

Many years ago, LADWP put a guy wire across 3/4 of the entry way to a vacant lot instead of properly securing an existing utility pole or putting up an additional pole. LADWP also strung power lines across my land without an easement and allowed their lessors to do so. At no time was I compensated nor asked for permission. I am trying to build a house with a normal driveway and LADWP is blocking my driving access. After getting the runaround with no responses from the applicable person, I had to contact others, file paperwork, etc. I finally was given an option, just one and at an expense to me up to $10,000. I asked about other option during this meeting and was told there were none.

I did my own research through the state regulations, driving around cities and had an engineer evaluate the options. There are at least 4 options so I presented these to LADWP. LADWP refuses to respond. I've sent several emails to a variety of people. I started my request with LADWP on June 9, 2015. 3+ months later and nothing. If anyone knows an attorney for this situation, please advise. LADWP owes me rent for their use of my land, punitive damages for the unnecessary stress and compensation for my time. They also need a court order to do their job.

I have been renting a space for my children and I with another person. The other person left after house we rent was sold. Shortly thereafter the electricity was disconnected. It was not in my name. The person we shared house with was responsible for electricity. Upon contacting LADWP, I WAS INFORMED THEY WILL NOT TURN SERVICE ON UNTIL I PAY OUTSTANDING BALANCE OF ABOUT 3000.00 dollars. I should not be responsible for another's responsibility. Meanwhile... my children and I live with no electricity. The new owner of house is not helpful because he wants to evict us so he can build another two units and spike rent. He was the one who requested shut off as well as discontinuing gas in my name... put it in his. I and my children have no power and was refused power from LADWP. What should I do? Anyone have extra solar panels?

I just got a $900 bill... I have been on a payment plan (owed $4,000 and they blackmailed me into paying them rather then buy food and have health insurance) and purposely haven't used much electricity because I can't afford to. Just fans on most of the time. How can they steal so much money from us?? What is our recourse? Is there anyone who can help stop LADWP from having this Monopoly and threaten shut-off if we don't pay HUGE amounts of money? It's a joke and I don't understand how this is being allowed to happen!!!

I've been overcharged on electricity for the first 2 years that I lived at this apt, and all of a sudden it went from $200 to $50. Also a $100 payment I made in April of 2014 has STILL not been credited as of Aug 3rd 2015, and they say they can't find it even with the multiple faxes of proof from my bank and a tracer number. Someone has stolen my money and the bank can't get it back unless the LADWP physically gives it to them. They deny receiving it at all. Also took me off of low-income discount without notification and I received a $200 bill and are refusing to honor the low income discount even though I had sent in my proof in DECEMBER of 2014. No one will help, I've been disconnected by agents and supervisors and told I would be called back and NO ONE ever follows through.

I have received outrageous water bill even during the time that I had not occupied my new home! Numerous calls and correspondences have fallen on deaf ears.

I received an adjusted bill from the DWP, adjusting my DWP bill upwards by $269.00! The explanation given by the DWP is that they made a mistake on reading the water meter and had to make adjustments after 18 months!! How could a public utilities company make a mistake when every bill that they sent me, based on their own workers reading and inputting these numbers, I have paid in full! How can the DWP come back 18 months later and ask me to pay for a mistake of theirs? I am hoping that Consumer Affairs will get to look into this and contact me for any further information to help you resolve this situation for me.

I have owned my current home for 14 1/2 years. I have never had issues w/ LADWP until the last year and a half. My bills have usually averaged approx $500-600 per billing cycle (2 months per cycle) that would include electric, water, sewage and sanitation. Feb 26, 2014, I had received a bill a bit over $700. It seemed a bit high to me at the time so I called customer service to find out why. This was the first time I found out that they had been "estimating" my electric bill for quite a few of the previous cycles. I asked why they would do that! I was told that they didn't have access to my meter for a read (which is located in my back yard). I told them that this was not a good excuse as I WORK FROM HOME and they could have access at any time - just to please knock on the door for access if the gate was locked. They made a note of it and said that it would now be in the meter reader's notes to knock on the door for access. We then took a proper meter read and that I would have a proper bill on the next cycle.

Next bill comes (5/1/14) $180 CREDIT! I was stoked thinking they made up for their months of mistakes! 2 months later (6/23/14)... next bill is $45. Now I'm thinking they should finally be caught up with their over-billing issues. 8/21/14 bill comes and it's $262. Hmmmmm 10/22/14 bill is $632. 12/23/14 bill is $389. Then bills start to even out around $400. However, the last 2 bills I got were off AGAIN. 4/23/15 - $225 and 6/23/15 - $250. I called Customer Service today (6/29/15) and I was told that the meter reader didn't have access to my back yard. Again, I go over that I work from home and this should not be an issue anymore after what happened last year. She then asks me to take a meter read. She says that I have been UNDER billed and that instead of the current bill of $250 I really owe over $700. I was furious! But this is not where it ends. It gets worse...

I open up the detailed bill (I do paperless billing) so I could have more info and noticed that I had not been billed for ANY water or sewer. I then checked the previous month... no water or sewer! So I ask her what was going on. The rep tells me that in Oct 2014, it was reported by the meter reader that the water meter was broken and needed to be replaced by DWP. She said that process usually takes 2 billing cycles (4 months) but we were passed that. She would check on it.

So now I start to panic... Are they planning on billing me for close to a year's worth of water when this is fixed? When would it be fixed? She has no answers for me on that but she does say. THERE HASN'T BEEN A PROPER METER READ ON THE WATER SINCE DEC 2013! Today is 6/29/15! WHAT THE HELL! I ask for a supervisor. She tells me there is nothing she can do and that I have to pay for what I consume. She has no idea when the bill will come. I LOST MY MIND. I AM FURIOUS!

WHY LADWP is listed on MY CREDIT REPORT as MAKING INQUIRIES? I just checked my EXPERIAN credit report and LADWP is making inquiries on my credit? Why is that? I am not buying anything from them?

I leased a house and moved in a few days ago. I have been trying to set up power in my name and they are telling me that the previous tenant's balance of $13,700 needs to be paid before I can set up new service!! ** at Team 5 (who won't give me a last name) keeps hanging up on me and refusing my calls. He swears at me and is very rude and will not even look at the lease agreement that I have brought up to their office twice now. I have no recourse and no water or power! I'm not paying someone else's balance of $13,700!! They tell me I should move somewhere else. Unbelievable.

I need help, please. I did not receive a bill from DWP for four billing cycles and then I received a bill for $3800.00 and I was overwhelmed with the amount and did not know what to do. I sent them what I could for a couple of months and the bill just kept getting larger and larger and I am now at $9100.00. I can't believe that this can happen. How do they expect me to pay almost ten grand within a week? I am just sick inside about this and don't know what to do. But I do know that I can't even get anywhere close the that outrageous amount, so I am preparing to live with no water and no power. And how am I going to get through this situation, I will never be able to pay them that kind of money. Please if anybody knows about anything I can do about this please contact me via e mail. My only other option would to move out to another power company's area, I don't know what to do.

I usually getting charged on my electric bill usage of $80 something dollars every 2 months. Last year I did not received a bill for 7 long months then suddenly they charged me the huge amount of total for those months that they neglect to send on a regular basis. I asked them for any consideration to resolved them. They put me in payment plans and I was also charged for the security deposit on top of that bills. Now all I'm dealing is a bill with threatening me of disconnection dates of service even though I constantly paying whatever I can. It's about time to stand up for our rights, to stop playing on us and take serious business with customers and learned to take responsibilities for their own action. I am just asking for a fair judgement here.

Went to go set up for a new house. I went to the Mission Hills office. I've never seen a more miserable group of employees. The lady who I had the misfortune to be called by her was completely incompetent and angry. She needed to call my landlord but threw a fit about the number being on a piece of paper instead of the lease copy. My landlord also goes deep into detail about things in a conversation and that frustrated the lady and she couldn't handle it. Slammed down the phone and finally got me set up. Not looking forward to the 'estimates' and huge illegal charges I'm sure I will deal with later.

I'm amazed at the conduct of LADWP. A few months ago I was overcharged by $628. Unfortunately, I had auto-pay set up so the money was automatically debited from my account. Now, believe it or not, LADWP moved pretty quickly to correct the situation. My bill was adjusted and I was issued a credit. On April 28 I received a voicemail saying that the check had been cut and mailed.

Once a week passed without receiving the check, I called LADWP again. I spoke to a supervisor who told me that it can sometimes take mail two or three weeks to leave the LADWP offices once mailed. I made sure to clarify this with him: "You're telling me that mail can circulate in LADWP offices two to three weeks before leaving?" He responded: "Yes." As of June 7, I still haven't received the check. Every time I call, I get a different story about when I will receive the check. I can't believe that any entity can simply steal over $600 from my checking account and I have NO recourse. None!

I remodeled my house 4 years ago and after the house was finished my meter stopped working. After a year and some months and many phone calls later the DWP replace my meter. I had to pay over $1000 and my meter worked for a few months before it stopped again. It's been almost 2 years with no bill and I can't imagine what I will have to pay. 2 months ago someone came and replaced the meter. I asked if I would start receiving my bill and was assured I would. The new meter has a sensor on it and it is accessible from the street. The meter is working but no bill and no communication from DWP. I do not like to have my bill estimated especially with the drought. I want to pay for the water I use. If they estimate my usage then I will estimate how much to pay based on my previous bills and the 25% of water I am saving.

We received a bill last year for over $7,000. We called them and they advised us that had been estimating our meter read and are prorating the amount that we were not billed for but should have been. I checked my past bills and did not see "estimate" anywhere, nor did I see any disclosure about the read not being accurate; however, on the bill that they prorated back to there was "estimated" next to the electricity usage. What they did was prorate the amount we were supposedly under billed for to that month where it said "estimate" and gave us tier 3 (the highest amount you can be billed for) over the 6 months. Even though supposedly they were never able to read our meter, they felt that they could go back to the one bill that said estimate and prorate it to that date, which caused a huge bill.

We called them and they said they had been estimating our meter the entire time and they would give us the time it took to use the energy (6 months) to pay back the $7000 on top of our normal usage. Obviously, we could not afford that, nor do we think it is right that they can go back to a month and give us the highest tier when supposedly they were never able to read our meter. We put in a dispute almost a year ago, refused to pay the bill and were given extensions. Their rep never called, no one ever came out to check our meter until I threatened to sue. When I threatened to sue he finally called saying he would send someone out but still have not heard from them. How the DWP can do this to people is beyond me. They are ripping everyone off and do not care at all.

I have been a solar power residential customer for about 5 years. My average electrical bill is $20 every billing period. Two months ago I got an electric bill for $417.00. Subtract my $20 service charge and I was charged $397.00. A $397 dollar overcharge that they will not acknowledge. When I called, they referred me to their Solar Dept. and they have not responded to my numerous calls. I left 3-4 messages on their automated phone system. This dept never answers the calls and never calls back.

This is a California Public Utility run company that is ripping off tax payers and we have no recourse but to pay it. We are being held hostage to pay or have no electrical service. When will this public utility be held accountable for their actions. In criminal law, misappropriation is the intentional, illegal use of the property or funds of another person for one's own use or other unauthorized purpose, particularly by a public official. This is a criminal act and they appear to be above the law.

I was receiving emails that their system was updating the billing and they were apologizing for the inconvenience. Then I received another email from the LADWP that they were crediting my account. Suddenly I have an invoice of 3K. I called asking for an explanation. First they wanted to convince me that I was misreading the emails then I printed them all. Nope I was right! I tried to do a payment plan because well husband lost his job and 4 kids. I don't have 3K in bank. Tried to do payment plan to avoid any interruption. They hired 200 people? Before doing such damage to hardworking Americans they should have tested their software first before giving families a hard ache to survive.

I used to pay up to $80 per 2 months for a one bedroom apartment, one resident. Nowadays I get bills for $120-130 per 2 months. I have no idea what happened. I have not changed my living habits, and yet, the bill doubled. Complained about being overcharged. Nothing happened. Complete IGNORE from DWP.

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Company Profile

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)