Los Angeles Department of Water and Power

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power

California

Need a utility company?

206 Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 11, 2019

I just received a nearly $6000 water and electric bill and my services were shut off last week. Since I live alone, how in the hell my bill is so high!? I've paid the LADWP bills over the years being in my place, consistently (with the occasional financial issues that life brings in which I would have to scale back). The only other issues that I've had from living alone is someone going into my backyard and running my water while I was away at work (for almost eight hours or more) and other activities, three times last year!

I don't know if someone was trying to sabotage me out of spite... I have no idea! I disconnected the water hose (and away) to prevent anyone from running my water again, but the damage is done. I've fixed most of the leaks at my house, in which there only one left. But I'm on the hook for this insanely high bill! What the hell am I supposed to do?

Just after I received my high bill, I got another one stating that they're going to tack on an additional $230 to my bill. I was told it was based off from their computerized billing when I called LADWP, and tried to work out an arrangement, but they weren't having any of it, even after which I was willing to offer to pay a good chunk of it off. They want it all up front. This is ridiculous!

Original review: April 10, 2019

My water and power bill has always been pretty high because I am passionate when it comes to gardening and landscape maintenance. So It’s usually around 1000 to 1,500 dollars. About four months prior to my sudden disconnection I got a bill that was over 3,000 dollars. I was shocked because I had not been watering excessively. It had to be a leak and I planned to diagnose the issue before paying such a high bill. I have been in contact with LADWP very often through this whole stressful nightmare experience.

The more information I discovered about the process LADWP follows for leak detection the more stressed out I became. They do not cover toilet leaks, they do not cover sprinkler valve leaks, they don’t cover pool leaks, actually don’t cover you even if it’s a leak in your main line because you are required to make all payments billed out to you. At best they will grant you a credit if your leak meets the acceptable criteria so it has to be an underground leak coming from a main line. Meanwhile my next bill is just as outrageously high as the last one. I did what I could to try and work with them on making payments. I just simply couldn’t afford a 3 thousand dollar bill that had now turned into a 6 thousand dollar bill.

They did set up a payment plan with me that required 30 percent down which was about 1,800 dollars. I did make the downpayment but couldn’t afford to continue making payments on top of all of my other bills. I was also getting fined an additional 20% of my total added on to my bill for making late payments. I finally received one notice from LADWP stating that I must pay 9,700 dollars within the next 15 days or my service might get disconnected. I didn’t get any other warning from them no call no 24 to 48 hour emergency notice nothing. I made another 1000 dollar payment and the last thing I received from them was a "Thank you for making your payment of 1000. You now owe 8,700."

Literally two days later my service was disconnected. One of the LADWP reps had told me that as long as I was able to continue making payments they would not disconnect service. I have been without water and power now for almost a month! LADWP has refused to work with me on any sort of payment plan. I contacted my landlord, the owner of the property I had been living at and they refused him service as well.

A lot of state funded nonprofit organizations that are able to offer grants or financial assistance to other utility company customers that are low income are not able to help Customers of LADWP because it is not a public utility company. It is actually a private company that is overseen by the city of Los Angeles. That is what I have been told as I have attempted to contact various nonprofits that might be able to help me out. This is considered somewhat of an emergency situation and I need to get water and power restored ASAP.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2019

The DWP Mafia is never going to stop. It's ripping off the LA consumer by fraudulent billings. Make no mistake people. DWP is City of LA! If you sue DWP then you have to serve Mike Feuer the city attorney. DWP class action helped NO one but the greedy lawyers specially the LEAD lawyer from Ohio. I keep getting bills anywhere from 750-$950. In 2013 I had a bill for $1500. I live in a 1600 SQF home. There is only 2 of us! One of us leaves at 8 and comes back at 8. My bills in 2011 used to be $200 and now it’s 4 times more!

I can’t pay that kind of money each billing cycle. It’s like a second mortgage. The city is ripping us off. We should protest in front of the DWP buildings or Mike Feuer’s office. They are doing highway robbery. The lawyers got rich and they only offered 0-$25 to consumers. Are you kidding?! That’s not even late fees. People we are being robbed. Call the state attorney, the FBI and the federal government. The DWP manager in west LA makes $120,000-$150,000 a year, he told me, "Sorry but we are behind and the cases are falling through cracks!" Are you kidding me?! 19 million were given to class attorney but consumers got screwed. Make no mistake that the lawsuit was all in the benefit of these sharky lawyers NOT consumers. Let’s protest! Let’s write to all politicians and ask for help. We are sitting ducks. DWP aka city of LA is ripping off all of us!

Original review: March 6, 2019

During the last week of Feb 2019. 5 consecutive days of water run-off by the neighbor. He ran water even on the day it had rained earlier. His house is on the higher side on this hillside. He runs water to wash down his debris and dirts from his yard and to clean his hardscape and sidewalk. Then, all of his debris run to my driveway, sidewalk, and to the street. I called 311 for help after the neighbor's water "run-off" and "washing-down" over 3 years. 311 representative informed me in detail that all were LADWP water waste violations.

I reported this neighbor's 5 consecutive days of water run-off and washing down hardscape during that week alone. Photos and videos from my outdoor camera were submitted, but DWP did not consider them as "proof" to take any action. On the 5th consecutive day, I put a sign for this neighbor "stop running water with debris." "Run-Off" is LADWP violation and a copy of LADWP water waste violation website page. He saw it and took a photo of my sign. The next day, the 6th day, he ran water again in the morning and again in the afternoon. Today, 4 days later, he ran water in the morning and then afternoon.

LADWP inspector came 2 days after my 1st report (out of 3) had been made. It takes only a few hours or less for water to dry up. There is NO possibility LADWP can catch the site with wet water unless they come within a few hours from the time of report being made. Any resident violating water waste will almost never get caught. I question if the law makers know about how these violators take an advantage of this blind spot. My experience after spending hours and hours to draft the report with photos and video clips and the response of LADWP discourage me from contributing my time for future report of violation.

Original review: March 2, 2019

What can I say, LADWP is worse than the cartels. I haven't received a bill for a few months now. I always get some else's. To cut the long story short they shut off my service. I been without power for 2 weeks. I work and try to keep up with my bills, but with DWP I'm always playing catch up, never see the end of it. My kids have asthma so they need breathing treatments with a nebulizer. I been taking them to my in-laws to stay while I figure out how to pay this bill that I didn't know was 1,200. I sometimes wonder if they do this on purpose to hold the mail, until maybe the customer calls, and they say (oh they caught on). They ask why they haven't gone home. I simply tell them they are fixing it, they are too small to understand what's really going. Why is the LADWP allowed to do this to its customers just leave them in the dark, cold, and not even care. Other states the electricity companies cannot turn off services from Nov to March (winter).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)?

Original review: April 23, 2018

Rock legend Jim Morrison's (The Doors) spirit must be roaming around his "Last known U.S. Residence" taking baths! The bldg. has been under the Ellis Act with NO TENANTS since 2016 yet we received a water bill for nearly $2,000.00! The DWP claimed the 7/28/18 bill was "stuck in the system" so never went out to me until I received it on 3/30/18. Their field rep came out & observed no running toilets, no leaks, etc. I googled DWP water bill complaints only to discover they have been overbilling consumers for the past several years. Apparently there is no recourse as the PUC doesn't have jurisdiction over them. Sounds like a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT needs to be filed for alleged FRAUD upon consumers!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power has stolen billions of dollars from citizens, residence, businesses, Etc. And was only forced to pay a small portion of what was stolen back to the citizens. I am so dissatisfied with the services of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power for not getting me my refund and what I would consider as a timely fashion irregardless of the situation. I don't appreciate being delayed and strung along for over 8 months. After being electronically bullied and harassed for my money I have to wait over a year to get it? It is a shame that they treat their customers like this with no regards. I'm disgusted with how you guys are handling these situations.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

LADWP has had multiple class action suits brought for overcharging, estimating bills, or delaying billing. We called 3 times over the last 2 years asking why we have not received a bill. We were told all 3 times that we owed $0.00. We insisted this was not right but we're told that the "system says you are current and there's nothing we can do to change that."

Sure enough, today we received a PAST DUE notice insisting we over $5180 and that if not paid in full in 3 days, they will shut off our water and power. I called and they refuse to acknowledge that there was any delay in billing even though they show that no bills were issued for almost 2 years (contradiction, I know).

Reps are rude, unknowledgeable, unhelpful and generally not very intelligent at all. I suspect our credit rating will take a hit as well, all because of LADWP's mistakes.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I discontinued service in December 2016, have a $125 credit balance still pending. I don't think any commercial business could get away with this, matter of fact it could be a hefty fine. Anyone up for a class action suit?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I left Los Angeles, CA in September 2016 and terminated service with the LA DWP. Since then, I have been waiting for the refund of my deposit. Instead of receiving the refund check, I have been receiving closing statements each month reflecting the credit balance on my account. Customer service continually asks me to be patient; 15 months is exceedingly patient.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

If I could give this utility company a zero I would. Today I called for the second time to try to pry my $157.07 deposit out of their greedy coffers. When I moved to a new county in August, DWP was supposed to refund my deposit. When I didn't see it by October I called and requested again that I get my refund. At that time I confirmed my new address and was told that I should see the refund within a month. I explained to the customer service representative that I had given all of my forwarding information when I closed my account and that I thought it was very odd that I would have to call back and track down this deposit, thus wasting more of my time.

The representative told me that it usually takes a couple of months to process the refund because DWP hold onto it in case the customer moves to a new address within LA county. I explained that I thought that was very odd and to please expedite my refund. Today, 11/30/17, I called again to ask them where my refund was. I was told and I quote "I have no idea how long it will take for you to receive your refund"... WTF **! How can it be legal for a utility company to keep a customer’s money indefinitely?! If I ever had to live in LA again I would survive by candle-light before opening an account with these **!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Have called several times, always wait at least 45 minutes on hold to have what is laughingly called customer service tell me they can't help me, Ever. Have left both email and phone messages for supervisors whose messages & calls will be returned within a business day, never happened. Even with names, these people just don't care. What a racket. They might as well put on ski masks & carry guns for the theft of both time and money they get for really poor service. Trash is not picked up, garbage is all over the ground and the trucks go by without stopping. Criminal. They suck.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I purchased and moved into my home in 2009. Since then my most outrageous bill was $900 for a two month period. Until October 2017 when I was billed $2200. Called and customer service person-Anne (I see her name here in other complaints) says if a photo shows my meter read is smaller than what was reported they will investigate but that I should have plumber check for leak. I paid $200 to have a plumber tell me what I already knew from reading my meter myself - no leak.

LADWP says I used 74 HCH in 60 days. Yet in reading just 26 days their October read and no change in my usage habits, I’d only used 12 HCH. Still no investigation, no adjustment, nothing but threats to turn off my water and power. How is this any different from a gang member extorting money from a business owner for protection? A kidnapper holding someone for ransom? So I paid the $2200 borrowing money to do so. Two days later - another random bill for $1700. ENOUGH.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

DWP delays my bill for 4 months every time this year. In doing so I go over the water/electrical allotment and I paid hundred of dollars more. I have written 15 e-mails in 13 days but got no real answer on why the bill delayed... and still no bill. The customer service rep., Anne, took me on a merry go around in every e-mail I wrote, but never answered my questions. Based on my research, I believe DWP transposed the meter number, and can not figure it out. They claim I had the meter changed twice (totally false) but the so-called "two meters" are one and the same with the last 3 digits transposed. The worse part is that no one has bothered to look into it, even after my dozen or so complaints!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I closed my account June 6th, 2017 and have moved out of California to Texas. LADWP owes me $741.03 in refund money. I have called many times and at first was told to wait 6 weeks. Since then multiple calls and always the same, they will send a priority email to the refund department. Apparently, as customers we cannot contact the refund department and even the employees at LADWP can only email the refund department as I guess they don't have phones. Very poor way to do business. I am pretty sure if I owed LADWP $741.03 they would not wait for me to contact my refund department.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power are the most unprofessional company I have ever encountered. If you have a choice in your area to do water or power with someone else, PLEASE DO! I have moved out of my apt in LA November 2016. I overpaid $75.00 my final bill. Plus they have a $200 security deposit when I first moved there from NYC. Do you know they refuse to return my $275! I no longer pay utilities where I live. I have called multiple times. Supervisors never call back. Emails sent! I went even in person to the Hollywood location on Sunset Blvd. They said they would call me today! NO call.

I sent a complaint to CPUC, they sent me a letter they can't help me. This is what they do, hold onto your money!!! Never return it. If you can get the service without a security deposit FIGHT NOT TO GIVE YOUR MONEY! ULTIMATE THIEVES! Please get solar power. The govt also gives you a tax credit and it is cheaper!!! I will definitely get solar power when I buy a home. I want nothing to do with them again in life!!!

Original review: July 19, 2017

I would give no stars if possible. Also wish there wasn't a monopoly on the lights, water and sewer in Los Angeles. I've asked for and completed all paperwork requesting a full audit on my account and was told it would take 90 days; 120 days later no results. I was charged over $400 for sewer charges during a period when I didn't even have water. Now that I do have water my sewer charges have continuously been 10 times more than water usage. How can this be? They are quick with a disconnect notice but very slow with my audit. I'm a senior citizen living alone, my electric usage is around $50 and water around $25. Sewer and trash exceeds $500. Makes no sense.

Original review: April 25, 2017

In Jan/Feb 2017 I had waters leaks in the house. One in the bathroom and one in the garage that we did not figure out until March way after the bathroom leak. So my bill increased immensely, Jan $1800 and Feb 1400. It was also high in March. Along with the other charges for light and trash my bill was over $5,000.00 and being a Mom with 4 children with one income in my household was not able to pay the whole bill. Early April they turned off my water stating that I need to pay at least $3546.84. I called and requested if I could pay $3000.00 and have it turned back on. I beg, cried and even asked them if they have ever gone without water? "Well that is not my problem. It's not about me. It's about you."

Needless to say I am still without water until I pay the $3546.84 and have to go without water and still have other bills to pay as well as my rent on the first. I paid $1200.00 last week and still need to pay the $2346.84. Oh get this once I pay the rest of the whole 3546.84 they are only giving me 10 days to pay the balance. LADWP does not take customer's situations into consideration and you think with this nice lawsuit going on they would be willing to work with people and have some heart. NOPE!!! They are have more money than I can think of and not willing to work with people so they can live like decent human beings.

Original review: April 15, 2017

If I could give 0 stars I would. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment in LA. I only have my son and myself here, Monday-Friday. We do not arrive home until about 5 pm. Lights do not go on until later as the sun shines through the apartment quite well. Tv goes on maybe around 6 for a couple of hours. This is an everyday routine. Our weekends we are usually out a few hours at least. My bills jump from in the $240's to my recent bill $372.39 (2017) to be exact. WHAT THE WHAT?! I do not have central heating or air. I have the plug in ones that are barely used.

When I reached out, more than once, mind you for this absurd bill. I have heard "Maybe you leave your refrigerator door open?" Ummm nope, single mom so I do need to preserve my food. I have even have had them agree with me that the bill seems super steep. They can start a check for you, but understand this, A. they will charge you for coming out to check and B. if someone is tapping into your line it's your problem basically. You my friend are still stuck with the bill, let me tell you if they do find someone tapping in, it's not labeled with a unit a is stealing from you. So you don't know in the end basically, you have to report it to the police (ha) then report it to your landlord oohhhh and then make sure you pay your outstanding absurd bill before they put you in collections.

Do they not realize they are in a lawsuit right now? Ripping people off should be stopped. It's an estimate, there are so many people living and using electricity in apartments that they are not billed for, I know this because I have a few friends that have been in their apartments for over a year without ONE BILL. That is because all of us other unfortunate customers are footing the bill. I have submitted paperwork for the lawsuit and man I hope I get reimbursed for their overcharging. It's insane and needs to be continuously monitored by an outside party to keep LADWP in line for their discrepancies because a lawsuit doesn't seem to be getting them in check.

Original review: April 12, 2017

11 months ago I moved out of my apartment. I have called and emailed to get my refund. Nothing but a bunch of lame excuses. Totally insane! Only to find out there was a previous class action suit against them for over billing. Now they are trying to "keep" people's refunds. I guess they are hoping they will forget or give up trying to get it back.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

When I signed up for DWP LA service I was told after 1 year my account was going to be reviewed in December & deposit was going to be returned in January. I called them today 01/09/2017. Now they are telling me it is going to be kept for 2 years, I was given wrong info! Even if I move out & close my account they are going to hold my money another 2 months! I asked why it takes that long but not 1-7 days to refund. They said it takes time!!! It is the 21st century! Refunding a deposit should not take more than a week.

They don't even do electronic transfer! I have to give them an address to get my check. I asked what if I move out of the country? They said it has to be sent to an address! So inconvenient! So wrong! They need to update their policy & return people's money right away! How is it even legal for them to keep my money & profit from it for extra 2 months? I told them they act like mafia! My balance is zero. I owe them nothing. I've paid my utilities for almost 20 years on time. They are telling me they don't see it!!! It's all scam. They have no right to hold on to my deposit! Terrible customer service. Full of false information!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

When I moved to LA I was told by LADWP that I would be required to pay over a $200 deposit in order for my services to start. I relented and paid the deposit. Six months later I moved to a location where I would not longer need those services. When I requested for my deposit to be returned I was told that it would take six months! Upon an online search I've discovered that many other people have experienced this and that they often don't get their refunds back at all or if they do, it's more like ten months. HOW IS THIS LEGAL? I can't find anyone to help me. This is insane.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2016

Today I contacted DWP after noticing water charges were not on my most recent bill. The representative took a look and told me it looks like my water meter was defective and or stuck and that I have not been correctly charged for water since 2014. I purchased my home in 2013 and I know for sure I had been paying for water at some point. I asked her if a tech from DWP comes out to read the meter how could that not have been noticed that there was no reading. She then says there was a reading but they didn't notice it stayed the same and that the meter was defective! This is ridiculous. So I was advised this will be referred to a Supervisor who will arrange to have the meter swapped out and I can expect a higher bill for past charges that I will need to pay.

I can not believe this! That is not my equipment. It should be DWP's responsibility to assure their equipment is working properly to avoid this inconvenience to customers. I will explore legal action. This seems like fraud as the consumer has to just go by what DWP says. Where's the proof? I do not have access to view the water meter.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

Many years ago, LADWP put a wire or line over the length of my property (approx 150 ft). LADWP a strung lines across my land without an easement. At no time was I compensated nor asked for permission. This is unsafe as trees can cut off the line and wires/line can fall over my family members, vehicles, or pet and cause injury if not death. A case in Eagle Rock happened recently too. I get no responses from calling the DWP Customer Service hotline. Based on state regulations they need a court order before they can run lines over private properties without easement. Can someone help please?

Original review: July 29, 2016

Closed my account November 1st 2015. Was told that refund ($200) will arrive within 3-6 months. It's now end of July 2016, 8 months past and still no refund. I've been 5 times to DWP office and every time they "send email to supervisor". I told them to call them - "they can't communicate via telephone" - how ridiculous is that? And "they are aware of the problem" when I tried to start a complaint. I was told to wait 4-6 weeks more. I fed up with these numbers taken out of nowhere. DWP is an ultimate manifestation of crooked bureaucratic outdated system which has no place in modern world.

Original review: July 25, 2016

I made a deposit for my electric service in December 2015 for a rental unit. Promptly closed the account in January 2016 when the unit was rented out. Received my closing bill on 1/15/16 with a credit on it. Waited a month and emailed them about the status of the refund. They told me it would take 8-12 weeks. Waited 14 weeks and emailed them again. Was then told it would take up to 6 months "because we're behind". Well, It's now 6 months and 2 weeks later and I still don't have the refund. What a joke this is.

Original review: July 7, 2016

My boyfriend, who I live with, has multiple sclerosis. I've been living with him in his house since December. Right now he has a huge dispute with the DWP regarding electricity and we've had no power to the house for about 10 months. Although they haven't provided us with electricity, we have been paying the water and trash bills consistently and on time. This morning, someone came and removed the water meter and capped off the water line to the house. We called and they said there was nothing they can do. I believe this can probably qualify as ATTEMPTED MURDER since we can't live without water. Does anyone know how we can get them to turn the water back on? We have been paying for water and trash service. Shouldn't they continue to provide those?

Original review: April 26, 2016

DWP fraudulent Meter readings and/or Meter malfunctions... 1/29/16 I received a DWP water bill in excess of $2000. I was told they determined I had a faulty water meter at my house (which is underground) and since it wasn't reading correctly they went back to when they felt the best accurate reading was which was in 2013!! As a result they billed me for additional water use since that time and based it off the newest reading coming from a repaired or replaced meter. This is outrageous to me for the following reasons: How do I know that the meter was in fact faulty? Why would I be responsible for machinery I don't own or maintain? Where is the proof the meter was reading incorrectly? If it was faulty why did it take 3 years for it to be noticed?

My bill has consistently been excessive ($500+ per billing) for 5 straight years so it's not as if my bill was ridiculously low. Without any proof they can say this to anyone and just throw back charges to a consumer at will! I further argue that if a faulty meter is determined by DWP which would result in any billing dispute they should contact the resident to discuss the issue prior to taking it upon themselves then months later sending a huge bill assuming the consumer is just going to be accepting of it. Who regulates them for this type of problem. I NEVER saw anyone fixing or changing a meter on my property. How can I even be sure the previous meter or readings were faulty? If there is no proof or prior forewarning why should I be responsible for something that could be completely fabricated by the provider.

After contacting them I've gotten nowhere. All they say is that if the meter was working correctly over the last 3 years I would have had these charges anyway so there is nothing I can do but pay the amount that has been prorated. So I am posting this primarily to see if anyone else has had the same issue. A handful of consumers stand taller than 1. Who knows, maybe this kind of fraud is a pattern with the DWP. If so I want to expose them and have our monies returned.

Original review: April 11, 2016

I spent a year in California and have returned to Las Vegas. I had to give a deposit to the power company. I was never late on any payment. So when I called to disconnect I was told that the last bill could be taken out of the deposit but I had to wait until I received the final bill to request the return of the remainder of my money even though I was no longer doing business with them. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

So after I received my final bill I called again to request my own money be returned again and now I am told it will take 2 months for the return of it. When I asked why so long I was then told it was because they were behind. Hello. How can that be? Billing is all automated and how hard is it nowadays to process the refund. Not to mention I feel that they are holding my funds illegally. Isn't there laws pertaining to reasonable length of time someone can hold your money? Especially when I have meet my obligations to them. It may not be much to them but I could use the 130 dollars or so.

Original review: April 1, 2016

We learned that we have been erroneously billed and paying LA Sanitation for solid waste charges on a multi unit dwelling we own. (We have a 3rd party pick up trash so LA DWP doesn't handle trash for us.) I have been getting the complete run around when I call them. First few times they said they would come to verify that we have a 3rd party picking up trash at our site. They would call me to schedule an appointment. Of course, they never call me. I called back recently and they give me a different story. That all apartments still have to pay for trash even if they use a third party. I question the amount they have been charging. $69 every 2 months on a small studio apartment seems to be pretty hefty. They say I need to talk with the billing supervisor and the best time to reach her is after 4pm when her shift starts. I wait to call after 4pm and is put on hold for like 40 minutes (I timed in on my phone).

Then, the woman who answers the phone says the billing supervisor leaves everyday at 4pm and at that time, there were no other supervisors or managers managing the woman who answered the phone. Totally lied to me. In one DWP, we've added up over $400 that we have been overcharged. We have been paying this for years.

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Company Information

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)
      www.ladwp.com