2. Homeowners

California

3.9/5 (251 ratings)

About Los Angeles Department of Water and Power

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Los Angeles Department of Water and Power?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

For years we have seen and read major complaints, subpar customer service, subpar service on general. Over estimated power meter reading and who can truly trust LADPW. The oversight commissioned group that are appointed by the LA mayor suppose to watch and regulate this organization. Yet many customers still get disservice, cheated, subject to duress and let's not forget over estimated power bill and delay tactics this organization uses to refund the legitimate customers.

What can we do? Do we have rights as a customer to change this awful business and their one-sided games and unprofessional business conduct they provide. They have figured since they have no other competition business wide and the customers they serve have no other choice for their Power and water services, these people can act how they want and their is nothing a customer can do. Is there an action or real legal process that we all who have been harmed by this organizations. l can take in order to protect our rights and to stop this organization from their shoddy and unprofessional business?

Apparently the previous lawsuit has not taught them a lesson. They still provide lip service, delay tactics if they owe you money or refund, they still over estimate the meter reading, they still have terrible customer non- service. Plus they are very expensive compared to other water and power departments. What can we do? Complaints are filed, cases opened, still nothing happens.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I am one person in a 600sf apartment that has no AC, no central heat, no washer/dryer, no yard, and I do not work from home or use the oven. There was a wifi router and 1 small 1500W space heater plugged in consistently from Oct-March. 07-09/2020 bill was 55$; 09-11/2020 bill was 160$, 11/2020-01/2021 bill was 135$, then 01-03/2021 bill was 908$. I inquired about this and DWP say the space heater accounts for the 6X increase in usage.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2021

LADWP solar software was a disaster. It took them a year to get it working OK but they sprang it on the public anyways. There has been litigation on this. But, most ended up getting $20 or less BUT LADWP stole a few hundred dollars from most of these people.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Look, I make decent money and I know that I'm not great with it. It leaves my in a perpetual state of feeling like I have less than I should. I preface this review with that because I need to explain why I didn't notice this problem until now. I just set my stuff to autopay and expect it to just be okay. I'm moving from Los Angeles to Ohio at the end of November and so I went to the website to cancel my service. Which apparently I need to wait for a few days to do because despite it being the 31st of October, the 30th of November is "more than 30 days away" and thus not an option.

This is when I noticed that my bill is $768.62. I've been out of the city, for two months of that time, took my computer with me, and turned the AC to Cool at 90 just to make sure the place wasn't burning up (dumb perhaps, whatever) while I was gone. Nothing is running there. How is it possible!? Then I noticed that my August bill is $634.31, during that time I was out of town for about a month as well. I understand higher bills in the Summer but last year was $200 less than that and we definitely ran our AC less this year out of concern for just this purpose. THEN... I noticed my June bill was $522.41, which was $241.19 higher than the same bill the year before. How?! This is insane. That October bill going through now is the really astounding one. It just isn't possible. No one is home. Maybe someone is tapped into our electricity? I dunno...

I've requested them to review these matters. I can't believe this is possibly a real bill. I've heard and seen too many complaints about LADWP mischarging people (not to mention losing in court about overcharging thousands of people). If they handle this properly, I will return here to amend this review positively. If not, I will be going to a lawyer as well as amending this review negatively.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I didn’t use my wash machine since one month ago and they are charging more than the past months. I‘ve watching when the person come to read the water and they only read the energy. The meter is outside. They have to lift the Iron plate to measure and they don’t do it.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I have taken on the care of my parents in my childhood home and after reviewing my latest bill is outrageous so I checked the meter at the curb... You can't even see the reading since the glass is so old. How can they read it then? How long have we been overpaying YEARS!!!! I wish I could upload pictures!! Getting the run around so far. New into this fight and not looking forward to it. I will keep everyone posted.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I live in Brentwood in a small (600 sq ft) apartment. While I have been working from home because of the pandemic, I was shocked that my LADWP bill was close to $200. This is crazy. I have lived in Beverly Hills, Glendale, Eagle Rock, and West Hollywood and I have never had a bill over $60. What is going on??

Original review: April 12, 2020

Disconnection. We got behind on our bill. They waited months till bill went over 4500. I can't find any help. We are in our 60s and mom 90. Low income family. It's been 1 year in May. They said "You're upset because we didn't shut off?" YES.

Original review: March 10, 2020

LADWP refuses to acknowledge their mistakes. I had an 8 kw solar system installed 6 months ago and because of DBS issues LADWP would not come and install the solar meter. My meter was spinning backwards and I called and told them they needed to swap it out and they said no not until DBS came out again. They just charged me approximately $600 they said I had used.

They came and took my meter and installed the solar meter. They claim when they read the meter (they took with them) it was higher than the read they had done and I owe them the difference?? WTF.. I have no way to prove they are wrong and there is NO WAY I used that much electricity with a brand new solar install that I am given daily updates on as far as power made and how much I use. LADWP refuses to help. They are a corrupt monopoly. Literally the entire reason I got solar panels was to have less to do with LADWP. They are greedy and charge more for electricity than any other company. We have no choice but to use them if you want water or power.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

A little different story we’re on the same basis as everyone else’s. We installed solar panels on our home eight years ago. My bill and electric charges dropped from around $500-$600 every two weeks to around $20. They say they charge $20 for reading the meter every month. Wow! But no big it’s just $20 right. Then the bill starts going up and has reached around $67 a month, Give or take a few dollars. Last year I had my Solar panels cleaned and washed off. The guy that did it forgot to turn back on the solar system. So I got a bill for about 500 and semi dollars for that two months. I quickly turned it back on right. I’m still getting bills every two months with the electric at $500 and more.

I call LA DWP and they say everything is correct their reader meeting and all that. Well last month I was home And the guy came out because the dogs were barking as he went into the backyard to read the meter. I looked out the balcony and watched him and he only read the LA DWP meter and not my solar panel meter which is mounted next to the LADWP P meter. I stepped out and asked, "How come you’re not reading the solar meter" and he said, "Oh it’s not on my work order to read any meter except for LADWP P meter." I said, "How long of you been reading this meter." He said, "Only about the last few times like a couple of times."

I called LADWP and told him this. They do nothing about it. The solar company that I had installed it went out of business so now I’m left trying to figure out how to read the meter and prove it to LADWP because they’re nowhere Around or even try to help solve the problem.. They’re crooks and they know it! If anyone can shed some light on assessing out this situation I’d be happy to pay you. Thanks and good luck to all of you who get overcharged and can’t figure out a way to get out of it. They know that all of us have to go to work every day just to pay our rent and our food bills and our car payments and everything else plus the traffic we have to Endure on a daily basis. Well the sun is still shining we still have that.

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Company Information

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)
    www.ladwp.com