2. Homeowners

California

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.22/5

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Reviews

Original review: April 12, 2020

Disconnection. We got behind on our bill. They waited months till bill went over 4500. I can't find any help. We are in our 60s and mom 90. Low income family. It's been 1 year in May. They said "You're upset because we didn't shut off?" YES.

Original review: March 10, 2020

LADWP refuses to acknowledge their mistakes. I had an 8 kw solar system installed 6 months ago and because of DBS issues LADWP would not come and install the solar meter. My meter was spinning backwards and I called and told them they needed to swap it out and they said no not until DBS came out again. They just charged me approximately $600 they said I had used.

They came and took my meter and installed the solar meter. They claim when they read the meter (they took with them) it was higher than the read they had done and I owe them the difference?? WTF.. I have no way to prove they are wrong and there is NO WAY I used that much electricity with a brand new solar install that I am given daily updates on as far as power made and how much I use. LADWP refuses to help. They are a corrupt monopoly. Literally the entire reason I got solar panels was to have less to do with LADWP. They are greedy and charge more for electricity than any other company. We have no choice but to use them if you want water or power.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

A little different story we’re on the same basis as everyone else’s. We installed solar panels on our home eight years ago. My bill and electric charges dropped from around $500-$600 every two weeks to around $20. They say they charge $20 for reading the meter every month. Wow! But no big it’s just $20 right. Then the bill starts going up and has reached around $67 a month, Give or take a few dollars. Last year I had my Solar panels cleaned and washed off. The guy that did it forgot to turn back on the solar system. So I got a bill for about 500 and semi dollars for that two months. I quickly turned it back on right. I’m still getting bills every two months with the electric at $500 and more.

I call LA DWP and they say everything is correct their reader meeting and all that. Well last month I was home And the guy came out because the dogs were barking as he went into the backyard to read the meter. I looked out the balcony and watched him and he only read the LA DWP meter and not my solar panel meter which is mounted next to the LADWP P meter. I stepped out and asked, "How come you’re not reading the solar meter" and he said, "Oh it’s not on my work order to read any meter except for LADWP P meter." I said, "How long of you been reading this meter." He said, "Only about the last few times like a couple of times."

I called LADWP and told him this. They do nothing about it. The solar company that I had installed it went out of business so now I’m left trying to figure out how to read the meter and prove it to LADWP because they’re nowhere Around or even try to help solve the problem.. They’re crooks and they know it! If anyone can shed some light on assessing out this situation I’d be happy to pay you. Thanks and good luck to all of you who get overcharged and can’t figure out a way to get out of it. They know that all of us have to go to work every day just to pay our rent and our food bills and our car payments and everything else plus the traffic we have to Endure on a daily basis. Well the sun is still shining we still have that.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I have been without power for two years. I have a bill that was $8,478.20. My son has helped me with this bill and it's now down to $6,551.00. It has been hard trying to negotiate with them. I tried many assistant programs that can not help because the bill is so high. Customer service is not helpful. I live in an apartment that is about 800-900 sq ft. I work an eight- nine hour shift. My son has a mental illness and is on a fixed income. I do not know how a company can come up with a bill this high for a small apartment. What needs to be done to get this settled?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I owned a duplex in L.A where I had an agreement that the tenant in the front unit will pay the water bill and in exchange they got a discount on the rent. At some point the tenant started to be late on rent and uncooperative. I found there was a leak in the bathroom that drove the water bill up. I tried to go and fix it, but the tenants were uncooperative and did not let me fix it. At some point I had to evict them. After negotiations and a big loss I finally got them evicted.

Called LADWP to change the water meter to be on my name, then they just dumped the tenant's unpaid water bill on me! Around $3600!!! After the repair I did ask for adjustment for the lost of water. They send an Inspector that was great and clearly saw the issue and gave me some discount. Note that sanitation department did not give me any discount where they should follow the same resolution as the water department. They took my deposit of $300 and already applied it towards the bill. Now they transferred the rest of the debt to my name on my home address!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Ladwp is a draconian greedy self serving company. Reading through the pages of these reviews and letters from the many many unhappy “customers” -(like they have a choice) is a depressing read. My personal experience is yet another Dystopian story worthy of The Handmaid's Tale. Their customer service stinks. All they do is say they are “sorry” and quote their policies like robots from a cheap sci-fi tv show. They have put me on a incredibly inconvenient cash only payment system for almost two years!! Every day they are in the news for underhanded dealings and cheating the people they serve. It is unfortunate that a large city like Los Angeles forces this foul company down our throats. ** The LADWP!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

LADWP requires a $200 deposit when you sign up. They very vaguely mention that you can apply to get that money back after two years. They don't mention that if you pay your bill just one day late only one time, you get that money denied. It doesn't matter if you paid 30 bills on time, and only had 1 bill that was a day late, you are denied. This is truly an injustice to the consumers. WE NEED TO STOP CORPORATIONS FROM TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THEIR CONSUMERS!

Original review: July 23, 2019

Was overcharged 4x for two years and couldn't ever get anyone to help me correct or investigate the entire time. They don't care about their customers, it's massive fraud. Proven they falsed use -- When we were away on vacation or the last month we weren't in residence using utilities at all, the bill oddly lined up exactly with the last year's use. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do as a customer, and their response on the phone is "there's nothing you can do but file a dispute or hire a lawyer". They are stealing money from everyone and the worst company you'll ever interact with. I can report a stolen wallet to the police, shouldn't I be able to report much much more stolen every month from a company I can't avoid?

Original review: April 11, 2019

I just received a nearly $6000 water and electric bill and my services were shut off last week. Since I live alone, how in the hell my bill is so high!? I've paid the LADWP bills over the years being in my place, consistently (with the occasional financial issues that life brings in which I would have to scale back). The only other issues that I've had from living alone is someone going into my backyard and running my water while I was away at work (for almost eight hours or more) and other activities, three times last year!

I don't know if someone was trying to sabotage me out of spite... I have no idea! I disconnected the water hose (and away) to prevent anyone from running my water again, but the damage is done. I've fixed most of the leaks at my house, in which there only one left. But I'm on the hook for this insanely high bill! What the hell am I supposed to do?

Just after I received my high bill, I got another one stating that they're going to tack on an additional $230 to my bill. I was told it was based off from their computerized billing when I called LADWP, and tried to work out an arrangement, but they weren't having any of it, even after which I was willing to offer to pay a good chunk of it off. They want it all up front. This is ridiculous!

Original review: April 10, 2019

My water and power bill has always been pretty high because I am passionate when it comes to gardening and landscape maintenance. So It’s usually around 1000 to 1,500 dollars. About four months prior to my sudden disconnection I got a bill that was over 3,000 dollars. I was shocked because I had not been watering excessively. It had to be a leak and I planned to diagnose the issue before paying such a high bill. I have been in contact with LADWP very often through this whole stressful nightmare experience.

The more information I discovered about the process LADWP follows for leak detection the more stressed out I became. They do not cover toilet leaks, they do not cover sprinkler valve leaks, they don’t cover pool leaks, actually don’t cover you even if it’s a leak in your main line because you are required to make all payments billed out to you. At best they will grant you a credit if your leak meets the acceptable criteria so it has to be an underground leak coming from a main line. Meanwhile my next bill is just as outrageously high as the last one. I did what I could to try and work with them on making payments. I just simply couldn’t afford a 3 thousand dollar bill that had now turned into a 6 thousand dollar bill.

They did set up a payment plan with me that required 30 percent down which was about 1,800 dollars. I did make the downpayment but couldn’t afford to continue making payments on top of all of my other bills. I was also getting fined an additional 20% of my total added on to my bill for making late payments. I finally received one notice from LADWP stating that I must pay 9,700 dollars within the next 15 days or my service might get disconnected. I didn’t get any other warning from them no call no 24 to 48 hour emergency notice nothing. I made another 1000 dollar payment and the last thing I received from them was a "Thank you for making your payment of 1000. You now owe 8,700."

Literally two days later my service was disconnected. One of the LADWP reps had told me that as long as I was able to continue making payments they would not disconnect service. I have been without water and power now for almost a month! LADWP has refused to work with me on any sort of payment plan. I contacted my landlord, the owner of the property I had been living at and they refused him service as well.

A lot of state funded nonprofit organizations that are able to offer grants or financial assistance to other utility company customers that are low income are not able to help Customers of LADWP because it is not a public utility company. It is actually a private company that is overseen by the city of Los Angeles. That is what I have been told as I have attempted to contact various nonprofits that might be able to help me out. This is considered somewhat of an emergency situation and I need to get water and power restored ASAP.

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Company Information

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)
      www.ladwp.com