2. Homeowners

California

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.22/5

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Los Angeles Department of Water and Power?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I didn’t use my wash machine since one month ago and they are charging more than the past months. I‘ve watching when the person come to read the water and they only read the energy. The meter is outside. They have to lift the Iron plate to measure and they don’t do it.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I have taken on the care of my parents in my childhood home and after reviewing my latest bill is outrageous so I checked the meter at the curb... You can't even see the reading since the glass is so old. How can they read it then? How long have we been overpaying YEARS!!!! I wish I could upload pictures!! Getting the run around so far. New into this fight and not looking forward to it. I will keep everyone posted.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I live in Brentwood in a small (600 sq ft) apartment. While I have been working from home because of the pandemic, I was shocked that my LADWP bill was close to $200. This is crazy. I have lived in Beverly Hills, Glendale, Eagle Rock, and West Hollywood and I have never had a bill over $60. What is going on??

Original review: April 12, 2020

Disconnection. We got behind on our bill. They waited months till bill went over 4500. I can't find any help. We are in our 60s and mom 90. Low income family. It's been 1 year in May. They said "You're upset because we didn't shut off?" YES.

Original review: March 10, 2020

LADWP refuses to acknowledge their mistakes. I had an 8 kw solar system installed 6 months ago and because of DBS issues LADWP would not come and install the solar meter. My meter was spinning backwards and I called and told them they needed to swap it out and they said no not until DBS came out again. They just charged me approximately $600 they said I had used.

They came and took my meter and installed the solar meter. They claim when they read the meter (they took with them) it was higher than the read they had done and I owe them the difference?? WTF.. I have no way to prove they are wrong and there is NO WAY I used that much electricity with a brand new solar install that I am given daily updates on as far as power made and how much I use. LADWP refuses to help. They are a corrupt monopoly. Literally the entire reason I got solar panels was to have less to do with LADWP. They are greedy and charge more for electricity than any other company. We have no choice but to use them if you want water or power.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

A little different story we’re on the same basis as everyone else’s. We installed solar panels on our home eight years ago. My bill and electric charges dropped from around $500-$600 every two weeks to around $20. They say they charge $20 for reading the meter every month. Wow! But no big it’s just $20 right. Then the bill starts going up and has reached around $67 a month, Give or take a few dollars. Last year I had my Solar panels cleaned and washed off. The guy that did it forgot to turn back on the solar system. So I got a bill for about 500 and semi dollars for that two months. I quickly turned it back on right. I’m still getting bills every two months with the electric at $500 and more.

I call LA DWP and they say everything is correct their reader meeting and all that. Well last month I was home And the guy came out because the dogs were barking as he went into the backyard to read the meter. I looked out the balcony and watched him and he only read the LA DWP meter and not my solar panel meter which is mounted next to the LADWP P meter. I stepped out and asked, "How come you’re not reading the solar meter" and he said, "Oh it’s not on my work order to read any meter except for LADWP P meter." I said, "How long of you been reading this meter." He said, "Only about the last few times like a couple of times."

I called LADWP and told him this. They do nothing about it. The solar company that I had installed it went out of business so now I’m left trying to figure out how to read the meter and prove it to LADWP because they’re nowhere Around or even try to help solve the problem.. They’re crooks and they know it! If anyone can shed some light on assessing out this situation I’d be happy to pay you. Thanks and good luck to all of you who get overcharged and can’t figure out a way to get out of it. They know that all of us have to go to work every day just to pay our rent and our food bills and our car payments and everything else plus the traffic we have to Endure on a daily basis. Well the sun is still shining we still have that.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I have been without power for two years. I have a bill that was $8,478.20. My son has helped me with this bill and it's now down to $6,551.00. It has been hard trying to negotiate with them. I tried many assistant programs that can not help because the bill is so high. Customer service is not helpful. I live in an apartment that is about 800-900 sq ft. I work an eight- nine hour shift. My son has a mental illness and is on a fixed income. I do not know how a company can come up with a bill this high for a small apartment. What needs to be done to get this settled?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I owned a duplex in L.A where I had an agreement that the tenant in the front unit will pay the water bill and in exchange they got a discount on the rent. At some point the tenant started to be late on rent and uncooperative. I found there was a leak in the bathroom that drove the water bill up. I tried to go and fix it, but the tenants were uncooperative and did not let me fix it. At some point I had to evict them. After negotiations and a big loss I finally got them evicted.

Called LADWP to change the water meter to be on my name, then they just dumped the tenant's unpaid water bill on me! Around $3600!!! After the repair I did ask for adjustment for the lost of water. They send an Inspector that was great and clearly saw the issue and gave me some discount. Note that sanitation department did not give me any discount where they should follow the same resolution as the water department. They took my deposit of $300 and already applied it towards the bill. Now they transferred the rest of the debt to my name on my home address!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Ladwp is a draconian greedy self serving company. Reading through the pages of these reviews and letters from the many many unhappy “customers” -(like they have a choice) is a depressing read. My personal experience is yet another Dystopian story worthy of The Handmaid's Tale. Their customer service stinks. All they do is say they are “sorry” and quote their policies like robots from a cheap sci-fi tv show. They have put me on a incredibly inconvenient cash only payment system for almost two years!! Every day they are in the news for underhanded dealings and cheating the people they serve. It is unfortunate that a large city like Los Angeles forces this foul company down our throats. ** The LADWP!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

LADWP requires a $200 deposit when you sign up. They very vaguely mention that you can apply to get that money back after two years. They don't mention that if you pay your bill just one day late only one time, you get that money denied. It doesn't matter if you paid 30 bills on time, and only had 1 bill that was a day late, you are denied. This is truly an injustice to the consumers. WE NEED TO STOP CORPORATIONS FROM TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THEIR CONSUMERS!

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Company Information

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)
      www.ladwp.com