2. Homeowners

California

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.73/5

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Los Angeles Department of Water and Power?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

25 years ago my average monthly payment was $110/month for electricity. Now it is over $210/month. With annual amortized rate increases. My monthly payments have almost gone up 100%. If I purchase solar now with a 26% federal tax incentive my payments will now be about $210/month to purchase and never go up or down for the next 25 years or so. But if I stay without solar my payments will go up to over $850/month with the new 13% annual increase. If I go solar now I will save over $100,000 in the next 25 years. I went online to 1solar.online and found a lot of information to help me.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

LADWP is billing me for the 2 bedroom apartment unit that had been vacant since January 2020. My last period charge between 7/7/2020 - 9/3/2020 was $31.41 and now between 9/3/2020 - 11/6/2020 $226.61 for the vacant unit. That is outrageous. I made several attempt to contact them and after an hour on hold they hang up the phone or the phone gets disconnected. The building is located in West Los Angeles.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Look, I make decent money and I know that I'm not great with it. It leaves my in a perpetual state of feeling like I have less than I should. I preface this review with that because I need to explain why I didn't notice this problem until now. I just set my stuff to autopay and expect it to just be okay. I'm moving from Los Angeles to Ohio at the end of November and so I went to the website to cancel my service. Which apparently I need to wait for a few days to do because despite it being the 31st of October, the 30th of November is "more than 30 days away" and thus not an option.

This is when I noticed that my bill is $768.62. I've been out of the city, for two months of that time, took my computer with me, and turned the AC to Cool at 90 just to make sure the place wasn't burning up (dumb perhaps, whatever) while I was gone. Nothing is running there. How is it possible!? Then I noticed that my August bill is $634.31, during that time I was out of town for about a month as well. I understand higher bills in the Summer but last year was $200 less than that and we definitely ran our AC less this year out of concern for just this purpose. THEN... I noticed my June bill was $522.41, which was $241.19 higher than the same bill the year before. How?! This is insane. That October bill going through now is the really astounding one. It just isn't possible. No one is home. Maybe someone is tapped into our electricity? I dunno...

I've requested them to review these matters. I can't believe this is possibly a real bill. I've heard and seen too many complaints about LADWP mischarging people (not to mention losing in court about overcharging thousands of people). If they handle this properly, I will return here to amend this review positively. If not, I will be going to a lawyer as well as amending this review negatively.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I didn’t use my wash machine since one month ago and they are charging more than the past months. I‘ve watching when the person come to read the water and they only read the energy. The meter is outside. They have to lift the Iron plate to measure and they don’t do it.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I have taken on the care of my parents in my childhood home and after reviewing my latest bill is outrageous so I checked the meter at the curb... You can't even see the reading since the glass is so old. How can they read it then? How long have we been overpaying YEARS!!!! I wish I could upload pictures!! Getting the run around so far. New into this fight and not looking forward to it. I will keep everyone posted.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I live in Brentwood in a small (600 sq ft) apartment. While I have been working from home because of the pandemic, I was shocked that my LADWP bill was close to $200. This is crazy. I have lived in Beverly Hills, Glendale, Eagle Rock, and West Hollywood and I have never had a bill over $60. What is going on??

Original review: April 12, 2020

Disconnection. We got behind on our bill. They waited months till bill went over 4500. I can't find any help. We are in our 60s and mom 90. Low income family. It's been 1 year in May. They said "You're upset because we didn't shut off?" YES.

Original review: March 10, 2020

LADWP refuses to acknowledge their mistakes. I had an 8 kw solar system installed 6 months ago and because of DBS issues LADWP would not come and install the solar meter. My meter was spinning backwards and I called and told them they needed to swap it out and they said no not until DBS came out again. They just charged me approximately $600 they said I had used.

They came and took my meter and installed the solar meter. They claim when they read the meter (they took with them) it was higher than the read they had done and I owe them the difference?? WTF.. I have no way to prove they are wrong and there is NO WAY I used that much electricity with a brand new solar install that I am given daily updates on as far as power made and how much I use. LADWP refuses to help. They are a corrupt monopoly. Literally the entire reason I got solar panels was to have less to do with LADWP. They are greedy and charge more for electricity than any other company. We have no choice but to use them if you want water or power.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

A little different story we’re on the same basis as everyone else’s. We installed solar panels on our home eight years ago. My bill and electric charges dropped from around $500-$600 every two weeks to around $20. They say they charge $20 for reading the meter every month. Wow! But no big it’s just $20 right. Then the bill starts going up and has reached around $67 a month, Give or take a few dollars. Last year I had my Solar panels cleaned and washed off. The guy that did it forgot to turn back on the solar system. So I got a bill for about 500 and semi dollars for that two months. I quickly turned it back on right. I’m still getting bills every two months with the electric at $500 and more.

I call LA DWP and they say everything is correct their reader meeting and all that. Well last month I was home And the guy came out because the dogs were barking as he went into the backyard to read the meter. I looked out the balcony and watched him and he only read the LA DWP meter and not my solar panel meter which is mounted next to the LADWP P meter. I stepped out and asked, "How come you’re not reading the solar meter" and he said, "Oh it’s not on my work order to read any meter except for LADWP P meter." I said, "How long of you been reading this meter." He said, "Only about the last few times like a couple of times."

I called LADWP and told him this. They do nothing about it. The solar company that I had installed it went out of business so now I’m left trying to figure out how to read the meter and prove it to LADWP because they’re nowhere Around or even try to help solve the problem.. They’re crooks and they know it! If anyone can shed some light on assessing out this situation I’d be happy to pay you. Thanks and good luck to all of you who get overcharged and can’t figure out a way to get out of it. They know that all of us have to go to work every day just to pay our rent and our food bills and our car payments and everything else plus the traffic we have to Endure on a daily basis. Well the sun is still shining we still have that.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I have been without power for two years. I have a bill that was $8,478.20. My son has helped me with this bill and it's now down to $6,551.00. It has been hard trying to negotiate with them. I tried many assistant programs that can not help because the bill is so high. Customer service is not helpful. I live in an apartment that is about 800-900 sq ft. I work an eight- nine hour shift. My son has a mental illness and is on a fixed income. I do not know how a company can come up with a bill this high for a small apartment. What needs to be done to get this settled?

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Company Information

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)
      www.ladwp.com