Los Angeles Department of Water and Power

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power

California

Need a utility company?

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Reviews

Original review: April 23, 2018

Rock legend Jim Morrison's (The Doors) spirit must be roaming around his "Last known U.S. Residence" taking baths! The bldg. has been under the Ellis Act with NO TENANTS since 2016 yet we received a water bill for nearly $2,000.00! The DWP claimed the 7/28/18 bill was "stuck in the system" so never went out to me until I received it on 3/30/18. Their field rep came out & observed no running toilets, no leaks, etc. I googled DWP water bill complaints only to discover they have been overbilling consumers for the past several years. Apparently there is no recourse as the PUC doesn't have jurisdiction over them. Sounds like a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT needs to be filed for alleged FRAUD upon consumers!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power has stolen billions of dollars from citizens, residence, businesses, Etc. And was only forced to pay a small portion of what was stolen back to the citizens. I am so dissatisfied with the services of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power for not getting me my refund and what I would consider as a timely fashion irregardless of the situation. I don't appreciate being delayed and strung along for over 8 months. After being electronically bullied and harassed for my money I have to wait over a year to get it? It is a shame that they treat their customers like this with no regards. I'm disgusted with how you guys are handling these situations.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

LADWP has had multiple class action suits brought for overcharging, estimating bills, or delaying billing. We called 3 times over the last 2 years asking why we have not received a bill. We were told all 3 times that we owed $0.00. We insisted this was not right but we're told that the "system says you are current and there's nothing we can do to change that."

Sure enough, today we received a PAST DUE notice insisting we over $5180 and that if not paid in full in 3 days, they will shut off our water and power. I called and they refuse to acknowledge that there was any delay in billing even though they show that no bills were issued for almost 2 years (contradiction, I know).

Reps are rude, unknowledgeable, unhelpful and generally not very intelligent at all. I suspect our credit rating will take a hit as well, all because of LADWP's mistakes.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I discontinued service in December 2016, have a $125 credit balance still pending. I don't think any commercial business could get away with this, matter of fact it could be a hefty fine. Anyone up for a class action suit?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I left Los Angeles, CA in September 2016 and terminated service with the LA DWP. Since then, I have been waiting for the refund of my deposit. Instead of receiving the refund check, I have been receiving closing statements each month reflecting the credit balance on my account. Customer service continually asks me to be patient; 15 months is exceedingly patient.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Have called several times, always wait at least 45 minutes on hold to have what is laughingly called customer service tell me they can't help me, Ever. Have left both email and phone messages for supervisors whose messages & calls will be returned within a business day, never happened. Even with names, these people just don't care. What a racket. They might as well put on ski masks & carry guns for the theft of both time and money they get for really poor service. Trash is not picked up, garbage is all over the ground and the trucks go by without stopping. Criminal. They suck.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

If I could give this utility company a zero I would. Today I called for the second time to try to pry my $157.07 deposit out of their greedy coffers. When I moved to a new county in August, DWP was supposed to refund my deposit. When I didn't see it by October I called and requested again that I get my refund. At that time I confirmed my new address and was told that I should see the refund within a month. I explained to the customer service representative that I had given all of my forwarding information when I closed my account and that I thought it was very odd that I would have to call back and track down this deposit, thus wasting more of my time.

The representative told me that it usually takes a couple of months to process the refund because DWP hold onto it in case the customer moves to a new address within LA county. I explained that I thought that was very odd and to please expedite my refund. Today, 11/30/17, I called again to ask them where my refund was. I was told and I quote "I have no idea how long it will take for you to receive your refund"... WTF **! How can it be legal for a utility company to keep a customer’s money indefinitely?! If I ever had to live in LA again I would survive by candle-light before opening an account with these **!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I purchased and moved into my home in 2009. Since then my most outrageous bill was $900 for a two month period. Until October 2017 when I was billed $2200. Called and customer service person-Anne (I see her name here in other complaints) says if a photo shows my meter read is smaller than what was reported they will investigate but that I should have plumber check for leak. I paid $200 to have a plumber tell me what I already knew from reading my meter myself - no leak.

LADWP says I used 74 HCH in 60 days. Yet in reading just 26 days their October read and no change in my usage habits, I’d only used 12 HCH. Still no investigation, no adjustment, nothing but threats to turn off my water and power. How is this any different from a gang member extorting money from a business owner for protection? A kidnapper holding someone for ransom? So I paid the $2200 borrowing money to do so. Two days later - another random bill for $1700. ENOUGH.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

DWP delays my bill for 4 months every time this year. In doing so I go over the water/electrical allotment and I paid hundred of dollars more. I have written 15 e-mails in 13 days but got no real answer on why the bill delayed... and still no bill. The customer service rep., Anne, took me on a merry go around in every e-mail I wrote, but never answered my questions. Based on my research, I believe DWP transposed the meter number, and can not figure it out. They claim I had the meter changed twice (totally false) but the so-called "two meters" are one and the same with the last 3 digits transposed. The worse part is that no one has bothered to look into it, even after my dozen or so complaints!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I closed my account June 6th, 2017 and have moved out of California to Texas. LADWP owes me $741.03 in refund money. I have called many times and at first was told to wait 6 weeks. Since then multiple calls and always the same, they will send a priority email to the refund department. Apparently, as customers we cannot contact the refund department and even the employees at LADWP can only email the refund department as I guess they don't have phones. Very poor way to do business. I am pretty sure if I owed LADWP $741.03 they would not wait for me to contact my refund department.

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Company Information

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)
      www.ladwp.com