Los Angeles Department of Water and Power

California

Need a utility company?

206 Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 19, 2016

We manage many apartment buildings in the City of LA, and we've been greatly burdened by the cost of Solid Waste Charges that the LA DWP is charging for our property located on S. Mansfield Ave. We have never missed a payment, but the charges that DWP is allowed to pass through to us is incredibly high. Per billing cycle (each 2 months) we receive a bill of about $1200 for removing 5 trash bins from the property. Not to mention, the bins are to be brought out by us since the sanitation dept will not bring them out from behind the building. This is $600 per month in trash service alone! At a nearby property, we pay for trash service through a private company, Athens, and we get service 5x a week for the container we have there, and we only pay $450 per month. With DWP, we receive mediocre service at best as we receive many complaints of missed collections.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2016

In September 2014 I received a bill retroactively charging me for about $9,000! I've been receiving threatening termination of services bills all through 2015 up to and until the date of this post, Jan 18, 2016. I got shuffled off to the "Field Investigations" department and was not able to get someone on the phone until 2 months ago. The agent I spoke to was "humming" in the background as I expressed my extreme frustration at being retroactively billed for such a large amount. I asked if I could have the name of his supervisor, got his number and live in "fear" every time I get a notice from them that unless I pay the entire amount or make arrangements to pay the outstanding amount that my services would be terminated. I received "estimated" bills throughout 2014 (you have to know where on the bill to see "estimated"). I am not sure if the information is accurate they are providing me.

And since this high bill was received in September of 2014 there was and IS no way I could even investigate if there was any accuracy to their claim of $1000/mo increased power usage for the 9 months. Plus they said they were "correcting" the inaccurate readings they "say" were present in my bill. I am at my wits end and am afraid my services will be terminated. It IS impossible for me to go back in time to investigate whether or not their claims have any merit and this is OUTRAGEOUS! I have until this coming Friday to come to some acceptable (to them) arrangement in this matter. Then if I am unable to, my services will be subject to termination. I do not know if there is a supervisory agency overseeing the DWP but I am in dire need of discovering if there is one. If my services are terminated I will be unable to occupy my home which is my only residence.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2015

I received a bill on September 29, 2015, which stated that this bill was a correction of a previous bill and contains new charges. Upon reviewing closer, I read that the correction goes back as far as one year (question: why?). I called the customer service and spoke to the representative and did not get any explanation. Then I requested to speak with a supervisor.

Dionne, the supervisor from Team 8, then informed me that for an unknown reason the department decided to go back to the October 14, 2014 electrical meter reading (reading) to recalculate charges (again, why?). She also mentioned that the department was not able to get an accurate reading two consecutive times in December, 2015 and February, 2015 (why? the gate was open, we do not have a dog), therefore my billing was based on estimated reading, which were running higher than the actual reading (again, why?). When the employee input the actual reading successfully obtained in April and June of this year, the system kicked the number out of the system (twice), because that would have meant that the meter had been running backward, not forward. Yet, I successfully got charged $646.55; some of it was sewage and water portion, though.

The question I have is how do I know that these charges are real? The supervisor could not explain why, if the actual reading was less than the estimated electrical meter reading, I got charged more? The supervisor could not explain why the billing department decided to re-evaluate my bills altogether. The supervisor failed to explain why it took an entire year for them to catch their mistake, nor why the bill was sent in the end of September, if the last correct reading was done in June. Dionne did not even give me any answers as to how they determined that we had used more water in the course of the year, aside from our usual billing. Nor, did she give me any explanation as to how we managed to use more sewage and sanitation in addition to our regular billing. Many questions gone unanswered.

When I presented my scenario as to why I might have received this extra bill, Dionne informed me that if I did not pay the bill, I would have my services cut off. Here is what I think may have happened. Last October, after I received an unusually high water and electrical bill, I called the DWP's customer service and complained about the high balance. We started to dissect the bill and find out that source of our high billing was using too much electricity. The lady on the line was going line by line asking what appliances we have at home to see if we can reduce the bill in the future. We turned off the second refrigerator, changed the light bulbs to energy efficient, used less lighting in general, and, changed our windows to stop the draft. I was so hoping that the subsequent bills would reflect all our efforts of saving electricity as well as water. And it did.

I knew that investing $7,000.00 into new windows would have paid off eventually, less electricity to heat and cool the place, increase the home value, etc. And that is when someone at DWP noticed an increased electrical usage in our house. So, someone decided to alter our billing, otherwise, I do not see any logical reason to go back one year to re-evaluate our bills, electrical, water or sewage. I would like to eliminate the $646.55 bill from our records as any futile attempts from DWP supervisor did not produce any credible explanations to origination of this bill. Just like I cannot prove that my side of the reasoning behind these charges, DWP failed to provide any proof that this bill is an accurate reflection of my utilities usage.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2015

Even though I had been told my refund was being sent to me, I didn't receive it. And weeks after I should have received it I was told the bizarre story that I owed on a bill at an address at which I never lived. In fact some astronomical figure over $700. I thought it strange because of course I had been utilizing LADWP at my apartment for a few years and had never heard about any fees due them for some other address. Convenient that they made up some charges (which supposedly occurred more than 2 years prior) at an address where I never lived when they were supposed to refund my deposit.

And now they are telling me they can't help me and that my deposit will be applied toward a balance that isn't mine. This is absolute crime and robbery. I had heard in other reviews that they purposely made it impossible to get your "refund" back but that is just so wrong and illegal I never believed it until this happened. PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE US ANOTHER UTILITY PROVIDER WE CAN USE!!! When there is a total monopoly companies commit these injustices and get away with them.

Resolution response: Sept. 27, 2015

LADWP has been working with me to resolve this. I am very appreciative of their efforts and their ability to work me on this situation.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

Many years ago, LADWP put a guy wire across 3/4 of the entry way to a vacant lot instead of properly securing an existing utility pole or putting up an additional pole. LADWP also strung power lines across my land without an easement and allowed their lessors to do so. At no time was I compensated nor asked for permission. I am trying to build a house with a normal driveway and LADWP is blocking my driving access. After getting the runaround with no responses from the applicable person, I had to contact others, file paperwork, etc. I finally was given an option, just one and at an expense to me up to $10,000. I asked about other option during this meeting and was told there were none.

I did my own research through the state regulations, driving around cities and had an engineer evaluate the options. There are at least 4 options so I presented these to LADWP. LADWP refuses to respond. I've sent several emails to a variety of people. I started my request with LADWP on June 9, 2015. 3+ months later and nothing. If anyone knows an attorney for this situation, please advise. LADWP owes me rent for their use of my land, punitive damages for the unnecessary stress and compensation for my time. They also need a court order to do their job.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2015

I have been renting a space for my children and I with another person. The other person left after house we rent was sold. Shortly thereafter the electricity was disconnected. It was not in my name. The person we shared house with was responsible for electricity. Upon contacting LADWP, I WAS INFORMED THEY WILL NOT TURN SERVICE ON UNTIL I PAY OUTSTANDING BALANCE OF ABOUT 3000.00 dollars. I should not be responsible for another's responsibility. Meanwhile... my children and I live with no electricity. The new owner of house is not helpful because he wants to evict us so he can build another two units and spike rent. He was the one who requested shut off as well as discontinuing gas in my name... put it in his. I and my children have no power and was refused power from LADWP. What should I do? Anyone have extra solar panels?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2015

I just got a $900 bill... I have been on a payment plan (owed $4,000 and they blackmailed me into paying them rather then buy food and have health insurance) and purposely haven't used much electricity because I can't afford to. Just fans on most of the time. How can they steal so much money from us?? What is our recourse? Is there anyone who can help stop LADWP from having this Monopoly and threaten shut-off if we don't pay HUGE amounts of money? It's a joke and I don't understand how this is being allowed to happen!!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

I've been overcharged on electricity for the first 2 years that I lived at this apt, and all of a sudden it went from $200 to $50. Also a $100 payment I made in April of 2014 has STILL not been credited as of Aug 3rd 2015, and they say they can't find it even with the multiple faxes of proof from my bank and a tracer number. Someone has stolen my money and the bank can't get it back unless the LADWP physically gives it to them. They deny receiving it at all. Also took me off of low-income discount without notification and I received a $200 bill and are refusing to honor the low income discount even though I had sent in my proof in DECEMBER of 2014. No one will help, I've been disconnected by agents and supervisors and told I would be called back and NO ONE ever follows through.

Original review: July 24, 2015

I have received outrageous water bill even during the time that I had not occupied my new home! Numerous calls and correspondences have fallen on deaf ears.

Original review: July 8, 2015

I received an adjusted bill from the DWP, adjusting my DWP bill upwards by $269.00! The explanation given by the DWP is that they made a mistake on reading the water meter and had to make adjustments after 18 months!! How could a public utilities company make a mistake when every bill that they sent me, based on their own workers reading and inputting these numbers, I have paid in full! How can the DWP come back 18 months later and ask me to pay for a mistake of theirs? I am hoping that Consumer Affairs will get to look into this and contact me for any further information to help you resolve this situation for me.

Original review: June 29, 2015

I have owned my current home for 14 1/2 years. I have never had issues w/ LADWP until the last year and a half. My bills have usually averaged approx $500-600 per billing cycle (2 months per cycle) that would include electric, water, sewage and sanitation. Feb 26, 2014, I had received a bill a bit over $700. It seemed a bit high to me at the time so I called customer service to find out why. This was the first time I found out that they had been "estimating" my electric bill for quite a few of the previous cycles. I asked why they would do that! I was told that they didn't have access to my meter for a read (which is located in my back yard). I told them that this was not a good excuse as I WORK FROM HOME and they could have access at any time - just to please knock on the door for access if the gate was locked. They made a note of it and said that it would now be in the meter reader's notes to knock on the door for access. We then took a proper meter read and that I would have a proper bill on the next cycle.

Next bill comes (5/1/14) $180 CREDIT! I was stoked thinking they made up for their months of mistakes! 2 months later (6/23/14)... next bill is $45. Now I'm thinking they should finally be caught up with their over-billing issues. 8/21/14 bill comes and it's $262. Hmmmmm 10/22/14 bill is $632. 12/23/14 bill is $389. Then bills start to even out around $400. However, the last 2 bills I got were off AGAIN. 4/23/15 - $225 and 6/23/15 - $250. I called Customer Service today (6/29/15) and I was told that the meter reader didn't have access to my back yard. Again, I go over that I work from home and this should not be an issue anymore after what happened last year. She then asks me to take a meter read. She says that I have been UNDER billed and that instead of the current bill of $250 I really owe over $700. I was furious! But this is not where it ends. It gets worse...

I open up the detailed bill (I do paperless billing) so I could have more info and noticed that I had not been billed for ANY water or sewer. I then checked the previous month... no water or sewer! So I ask her what was going on. The rep tells me that in Oct 2014, it was reported by the meter reader that the water meter was broken and needed to be replaced by DWP. She said that process usually takes 2 billing cycles (4 months) but we were passed that. She would check on it.

So now I start to panic... Are they planning on billing me for close to a year's worth of water when this is fixed? When would it be fixed? She has no answers for me on that but she does say. THERE HASN'T BEEN A PROPER METER READ ON THE WATER SINCE DEC 2013! Today is 6/29/15! WHAT THE HELL! I ask for a supervisor. She tells me there is nothing she can do and that I have to pay for what I consume. She has no idea when the bill will come. I LOST MY MIND. I AM FURIOUS!

Original review: June 26, 2015

WHY LADWP is listed on MY CREDIT REPORT as MAKING INQUIRIES? I just checked my EXPERIAN credit report and LADWP is making inquiries on my credit? Why is that? I am not buying anything from them?

Original review: June 25, 2015

I leased a house and moved in a few days ago. I have been trying to set up power in my name and they are telling me that the previous tenant's balance of $13,700 needs to be paid before I can set up new service!! ** at Team 5 (who won't give me a last name) keeps hanging up on me and refusing my calls. He swears at me and is very rude and will not even look at the lease agreement that I have brought up to their office twice now. I have no recourse and no water or power! I'm not paying someone else's balance of $13,700!! They tell me I should move somewhere else. Unbelievable.

Original review: June 20, 2015

I need help, please. I did not receive a bill from DWP for four billing cycles and then I received a bill for $3800.00 and I was overwhelmed with the amount and did not know what to do. I sent them what I could for a couple of months and the bill just kept getting larger and larger and I am now at $9100.00. I can't believe that this can happen. How do they expect me to pay almost ten grand within a week? I am just sick inside about this and don't know what to do. But I do know that I can't even get anywhere close the that outrageous amount, so I am preparing to live with no water and no power. And how am I going to get through this situation, I will never be able to pay them that kind of money. Please if anybody knows about anything I can do about this please contact me via e mail. My only other option would to move out to another power company's area, I don't know what to do.

Original review: June 12, 2015

I usually getting charged on my electric bill usage of $80 something dollars every 2 months. Last year I did not received a bill for 7 long months then suddenly they charged me the huge amount of total for those months that they neglect to send on a regular basis. I asked them for any consideration to resolved them. They put me in payment plans and I was also charged for the security deposit on top of that bills. Now all I'm dealing is a bill with threatening me of disconnection dates of service even though I constantly paying whatever I can. It's about time to stand up for our rights, to stop playing on us and take serious business with customers and learned to take responsibilities for their own action. I am just asking for a fair judgement here.

Original review: June 11, 2015

Went to go set up for a new house. I went to the Mission Hills office. I've never seen a more miserable group of employees. The lady who I had the misfortune to be called by her was completely incompetent and angry. She needed to call my landlord but threw a fit about the number being on a piece of paper instead of the lease copy. My landlord also goes deep into detail about things in a conversation and that frustrated the lady and she couldn't handle it. Slammed down the phone and finally got me set up. Not looking forward to the 'estimates' and huge illegal charges I'm sure I will deal with later.

Original review: June 7, 2015

I'm amazed at the conduct of LADWP. A few months ago I was overcharged by $628. Unfortunately, I had auto-pay set up so the money was automatically debited from my account. Now, believe it or not, LADWP moved pretty quickly to correct the situation. My bill was adjusted and I was issued a credit. On April 28 I received a voicemail saying that the check had been cut and mailed.

Once a week passed without receiving the check, I called LADWP again. I spoke to a supervisor who told me that it can sometimes take mail two or three weeks to leave the LADWP offices once mailed. I made sure to clarify this with him: "You're telling me that mail can circulate in LADWP offices two to three weeks before leaving?" He responded: "Yes." As of June 7, I still haven't received the check. Every time I call, I get a different story about when I will receive the check. I can't believe that any entity can simply steal over $600 from my checking account and I have NO recourse. None!

Original review: June 6, 2015

I remodeled my house 4 years ago and after the house was finished my meter stopped working. After a year and some months and many phone calls later the DWP replace my meter. I had to pay over $1000 and my meter worked for a few months before it stopped again. It's been almost 2 years with no bill and I can't imagine what I will have to pay. 2 months ago someone came and replaced the meter. I asked if I would start receiving my bill and was assured I would. The new meter has a sensor on it and it is accessible from the street. The meter is working but no bill and no communication from DWP. I do not like to have my bill estimated especially with the drought. I want to pay for the water I use. If they estimate my usage then I will estimate how much to pay based on my previous bills and the 25% of water I am saving.

Original review: May 19, 2015

We received a bill last year for over $7,000. We called them and they advised us that had been estimating our meter read and are prorating the amount that we were not billed for but should have been. I checked my past bills and did not see "estimate" anywhere, nor did I see any disclosure about the read not being accurate; however, on the bill that they prorated back to there was "estimated" next to the electricity usage. What they did was prorate the amount we were supposedly under billed for to that month where it said "estimate" and gave us tier 3 (the highest amount you can be billed for) over the 6 months. Even though supposedly they were never able to read our meter, they felt that they could go back to the one bill that said estimate and prorate it to that date, which caused a huge bill.

We called them and they said they had been estimating our meter the entire time and they would give us the time it took to use the energy (6 months) to pay back the $7000 on top of our normal usage. Obviously, we could not afford that, nor do we think it is right that they can go back to a month and give us the highest tier when supposedly they were never able to read our meter. We put in a dispute almost a year ago, refused to pay the bill and were given extensions. Their rep never called, no one ever came out to check our meter until I threatened to sue. When I threatened to sue he finally called saying he would send someone out but still have not heard from them. How the DWP can do this to people is beyond me. They are ripping everyone off and do not care at all.

Original review: May 17, 2015

I have been a solar power residential customer for about 5 years. My average electrical bill is $20 every billing period. Two months ago I got an electric bill for $417.00. Subtract my $20 service charge and I was charged $397.00. A $397 dollar overcharge that they will not acknowledge. When I called, they referred me to their Solar Dept. and they have not responded to my numerous calls. I left 3-4 messages on their automated phone system. This dept never answers the calls and never calls back.

This is a California Public Utility run company that is ripping off tax payers and we have no recourse but to pay it. We are being held hostage to pay or have no electrical service. When will this public utility be held accountable for their actions. In criminal law, misappropriation is the intentional, illegal use of the property or funds of another person for one's own use or other unauthorized purpose, particularly by a public official. This is a criminal act and they appear to be above the law.

Original review: May 15, 2015

I was receiving emails that their system was updating the billing and they were apologizing for the inconvenience. Then I received another email from the LADWP that they were crediting my account. Suddenly I have an invoice of 3K. I called asking for an explanation. First they wanted to convince me that I was misreading the emails then I printed them all. Nope I was right! I tried to do a payment plan because well husband lost his job and 4 kids. I don't have 3K in bank. Tried to do payment plan to avoid any interruption. They hired 200 people? Before doing such damage to hardworking Americans they should have tested their software first before giving families a hard ache to survive.

Original review: April 8, 2015

I used to pay up to $80 per 2 months for a one bedroom apartment, one resident. Nowadays I get bills for $120-130 per 2 months. I have no idea what happened. I have not changed my living habits, and yet, the bill doubled. Complained about being overcharged. Nothing happened. Complete IGNORE from DWP.

Original review: March 20, 2015

I've been getting an ever-increasing bill from the Los Angeles DWP for a separate garage-apartment on my home property where the electricity has been cut off for almost A YEAR! This was an issue with a former occupant, but not my main point. The DWP has been billing roughly $93/month for SANITATION (trash collection) and SEWER costs on a DEAD ACCOUNT for an unoccupied garage-apartment! If these fees are attached to the account, as I've been told in a previous fiasco regarding "bundling" of unnecessary services with open DWP accounts, and the account is no longer active, how do they get off charging for services NOT BEING RENDERED???? The DWP is as corrupt an organization as they come, and I will not continue to be victimized. Perhaps a class action suit is in order.

Original review: March 17, 2015

I just called to move my DWP to my new place and was told that none of my DWP bills were paid for the year that I had lived at my current residence. I said I never received a bill so I thought it was part of this "Conservice" program my apt. complex has where they take and split the bills through all tenants. They claim that USPS sent all of the bills back to them. Why would they do that? My name is on the mailbox? And I am disabled so I never got the discount. Anyone else have these issues? Any advice? I don't feel I should pay the full amount when I never received the bills.

Original review: March 12, 2015

The same thing been happening to me, I did not receive a bill for 9 months, I was calling and going to the branch office asking them why I'm not receiving my bill and they told me I didn't have one. After 9 months I received a bill for over 3000 dollars, they recently shut my water off because of this matter. I called up there and told them that I have a son on life support equipment every night and I need my water and power, and my account was red flag for my son condition which he's only 5 years old and they still didn't care. I called everybody, the Mayor office, the district 8 office, our counsel office, and none of them can give me answers. Why are we voting for these people and they can't help. I need some help fast before me and my kids be in the dark or with no water.

Original review: March 7, 2015

Received billing for January -- It was $544 dollars. I said, "Can't be so." I called LA DWP. Talk to a rep. I ask her why it was so high she told me that they had been estimating my bill for 6 months. I ask why they couldn't get into my side yard where meter is to read it. I said, "That's crazy." I told her the gas comp. Reader man just got into my side yard where meter is also with no problem the day before I called them plus I have been on disability since May 16 ,2014 so I have been home injure so there was no excuse for him to read the meter. They could have came to the door...they have in the past a few times...& I'M still off work. I never had a problem with them before.

Original review: March 3, 2015

I have never received a bill for the place I live at for over a year now. I have called and always been told to just wait and that it was in the mail. Every time I called they said not to worry, they would set up a payment plan if necessary. Last week I received my disconnect notice. This is the first piece of mail I have ever received from them. They are saying I have to pay $2,312.88. I called and was told they could set up a payment plan with the smallest first payment being $770. That's more than my rent. I asked why I never received a bill. They said they sent them (starting 6 months after I started service) to an address I haven't been at since I was in college over 7 years ago! They will not budge and their representatives are useless. They obviously hate their jobs and will not help me at all. I'm going to get disconnected and have no idea what to do. Crazy thing is, this is not the first time they do something this stupid.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I am a homeowner in Valley Village. The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power has been replacing the aging water pipes buried in the streets of Valley Village since 2012 and the project is not slated to finish until fall 2015. I am the closest homeowner (duplex) to Whitsett and Magnolia intersection. LADWP will be in front of my home in March or April 2015 with a 2-storey crane and massive construction equipment, materials. The most massive industrial construction will happen at the end of March or beginning of April in front of my home, for 3 weeks of bone-shaking street demolition and digging. A steel plate will span a 10' x 15' deep trench so I and my tenants (if I have any) will be able to access my driveway without any rails or safety access.

This train wreck in slow motion caused a very, very dangerous situation on January 16, 2015 when LADWP struck and broke a gas line, requiring evacuation of surrounding businesses. Neither I (nor were my tenants) were contacted and made aware of the dangerous gas leak, even though the odor of gas was very strong. Both my apartments in the duplex will be available as LADWP starts construction in front of **. Several prospective tenants viewed and love the places but will not rent because of the construction. Who bears the liability? Do I even allow a tenant to move in knowing they may be exposed to this dangerous situation, since LADWP seems to have no safety protocols in place to protect people and property at the construction site. Again, who bears the liability? We are exposed to life threatening situations like the gas line break without any regard or notification.

Replacing 90-year old water pipes benefits the entire city of Los Angeles, but we business and homeowners have to take all the risk; losing business to the point of closing the doors, disturbing the peace to the point of insanity, damaging property without compensation, and even the possibility of losing our lives from situations like the gas leak. What can we do?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I was disconnected (water) for $5723.73. I called LADWP and was told that my bills were from 2013. They told me that there was "delayed billing" and "bad meter reads". I ask could I get payment arrangements they said no. Said they can't. I am a part time worker for the city of Los Angeles, and can't afford the payment. They told me that my bills were my fault for non-payment. So I asked, if there was "delayed billing" and "bad meter reads" how was this my fault? Still waiting (with no water service) for an answer. Can they do this? Is this legal?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

They are charging me $4500 for a billing error that they caused. They said they had been undercharging me for months. How is this my fault? I live in a budget, now they want to blame me for the mistakes they did. I asked if they had a billing plan, they said no. I have to come up with the money or I will lose my electricity. CAN THEY DO THIS???

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Company Information

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)
      www.ladwp.com