1.27/5

Need a utility company?

Jacksonville, FL

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

57 JEA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I would not refer anybody to JEA. They will charge you of deposits if your usage go up every month. JEA will put everyone in the poor house like Trump did. Trump don't care about us and neither do JEA. I bet the owner of JEA lights will never get shut off because they all are in on making us suffer. So no do not apply for JEA services at all. You will have to pay more than what you got in your pocket. I hate JEA.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Took 15 for one day of electricity when my bill averages 3-4 dollars a day. Told me the cold makes my heater run harder. In fact it would not run harder it would just take longer to heat it or else the machine would burn up. They acted as if I was trying to argue with them. They further told me that one the JEA my way (prepay setup) that sometimes you don't get charged what you use. Sometimes they overcharge you and in my case I got undercharged because the two different methods, monthly and prepay bill your bill separately then when it's time to pay they say that they don't correspond with each other and thats how you end up owing them or vice versa. Long story short they're thieves. Their system is corrupt and somebody needs make another source of power besides these crooks. Been a JEA customer more than 6 years and never once been cut off. I wouldn't recommend this place if I was paid for it.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

They are very rude and very condescending especially over the phone. On hold for a long time for every little thing and literally laugh in your face for simple questions, which is completely unnecessary. If I had any other choice for a power company in my area, I would switch immediately.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

It’s the most mismanaged organization to where I have no words for it. The biggest reason to not live in Jackson or for anyone to move here. My bill has been on auto debit for years without a missed payment and they cut off the water and air in Oct without any notification whatsoever. There should be some quality control on JEA. When I found out, I paid whatever they told me was the balance, hundreds of dollars of deposit for reinstating it and they turned it back on. They wouldn’t of course if the entire balance and fee were not paid and that is what they told me that it was paid except it’s JEA and they don’t know what they are doing.

This was on Nov 9th that I paid the balance and the extra charges. And it was turned on only for them to cut it off on Nov 19th, just ten days later for some amount $89 that they claim wasn’t paid on the 9th when it was all paid. This is how it keeps going with them. They should be sued for sure. Another interesting thing about them is that it’s been 8 years since I separated/divorced from my husband and the house has been under my name, and I’ve paid the bills. But any time I call them, they ask me for his social!!! Even after assuring me they’ve changed it on the account, they ask for it. Of course this is JEA.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Very bad customer service. I just asked to cancel my service and I said to the representative that, "Once you cancel the service can I be able to get a confirmation email from you" and he been rude and trying to teach me the English language. They should get proper training and not argue with the customers. Due to the customer, they get paid. I am not to be rude but his attitude is not good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JEA?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I live in an apartment complex by myself and I usually average $160-$180 a month for the majority of my time. However, in the last 3 months from July through September, my bills have been astronomical--averaging $400 a month! I looked at the utility tracker and it says that I used over 13,000 gallons of water per month... Are you ** me? I do not have a swimming pool in my 2 bedroom apartment. I also wasn't even home for half of August due to an illness in my family where I was out of town. I turned everything off. And the crazy thing is that August was the month that my bill was the highest, $487. GTFO. This is a load of **.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

They WILL double charge you on a payment and MAKE YOU pay a refund fee for their screw up! I had to call 3 times to get a competent person on the line and then they still told me there was nothing they could do. I wouldn't even move to JEA strictly because of their customer service!

Original review: April 14, 2018

While on a vacation out of country, received a email that my JEA account was past due. Have done business with JEA since 1988 and never even had to give a deposit. Always paid bills on time. I looked at my bill pay account and seen that the amount was paid probably 20 days before and figured something just didn't match up with their computers and didn't worry about it.

Boy was I wrong, after getting back home and calling JEA about another matter concerning backflow preventers, the clerk told me that I had an overdue bill. I told her that the bill was current and had my bank account to back it up. Got my bank on the phone and she was responsible. Told by the bank that the check had mailed out and credited March 8th which was way before the bill was due. She didn't say anything but refused to accept this and said she needed something in writing. By this time I had everything ever wanted to hear from JEA and told her that I am responsible to pay the bill, JEA is responsible to credit my account and can't be held responsible for that. She had previously told me that my account was out for disconnection.

Heard from them several days later that my money could have been credited to another account and thought that took care of everything. Five days later my electric was disconnected. Knew it wasn't going to be a short or good call. Called them and finally got to a supervisor who studied the account and straightened it out within an hour and turned the electric back on and apologized. So you would think that was the end of the story. Right? No, received from JEA Customer Experience Center a letter today that said they keep an internal credit rating system and mine instead of being 1000 was going to be 900 because of this incident. Look it's government and you can't dream up this stuff.

Original review: April 1, 2018

They charged me over $15 a day when weather outside cold, I turned off my a/c and come to my cousin stay for couple days, my charges no different. I took the pictures of the meter every day to see how many KWH had been used. Also wrote down all the day and time at meter, every time I add money to my account they charged me double. They told we dumb, I am got a lawyer all the evidence. Let see what they can do, I love to take them to court... JEA is a thief.

Original review: March 13, 2018

My experience with this energy, water company has been deplorable. I'm a current customer with no other options. This company levies a 500 deposit if payment is missed and fails to notify customers if services are interrupted. While on vacation, they discontinued services, didn't put any notice on door or send an email that services had been discontinued. Came home from a 2-week vacation to find all refrigerator and freezer contents spoiled and rotten. Horrible experience with this company, at least they could call or put notice on door when service discontinued. They suck! Will gladly transfer service to another company if option were available.

Original review: July 31, 2017

We just bought a house, and we have leaving a about a month, and we haven't receive any bill yet, today I discover a running hose in the backyard. We called the Company but they don't care, according with them, it is impossible that a running hose can waste so much water enough for fill it up three pools. But apparently is possible for them that just two people can wasted all that amount of water. Anyway they just care about the money.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I have rented my home for 6 yr and in that time my water bill have rarely been over $18.00. Between June '16 and December '16, it hiked from $167.68 to $400.41. I had JEA come out and was told that there was no leak between the road and the house. In the meantime, they decided I needed to repay the deposit to the tune of $975.00. Then somehow my bill since Jan '17 has been back to normal. Is there anyone to complain to at JEA or do I have to suck it up because they can scam their customers with no recourse?

Original review: April 12, 2017

We had our lights cut off for a past due amount of 145 bucks when the payment wasn't due until the next day. When my wife went to complain they changed the due date to today to justify their actions. Last month they processed the same payment twice when we only authorized one payment. When I told them we were getting the solar panels they had nothing to say. I'm so glad we're homeowners so we have an alternative to this monopoly who just gets to bully people and do whatever they want.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I called JEA this morning. To let them know about the electrical problem. I was having at the resident I was staying at. I was not trying to get out of paying my bill. I just wanted JEA to know I had to move out to find me somewhere else to stay because of the electrical problem. JEA lady that bill is yours and needs to pay. A nasty lady with no heart. Learn to talk to people with respect.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

I just received my most recent JEA bill and was speechless to see it was almost $900. After review I noticed a "residential deposit" for almost $500. I googled what this "deposit" is and apparently JEA feels they have the God given right to charge this ridiculous fee based on your credit score. I have had to request extensions every month for a good while now however I have ALWAYS paid by the extension deadline date. I am single mother of two and work a FULL TIME job. I am NOT a bum, unemployed or sit and wait for handouts.

I went on the JEA website and I guess this is a new rule they have. The website goes on to say that the deposit is placed in a separate account and will accrue interest (how nice of them) and when your credit rating is what THEY deem acceptable they have up to TWO YEARS to return the deposit to you! I have NEVER in my life heard of such a thing! I can see if a deposit was required up front, getting new service or if my credit was not good to begin with however this is not the case. I have had JEA for almost 7 years and this is the first time I have EVER seen or heard something like this. I am beyond infuriated and have demanded they call me TODAY, having either a manager or someone at their corporate office call me. Do they have a right to do this to a long time customer (almost 7 years)?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

So I am a JEA "My Way" customer, and have been for many years. Not to mention family friends with The Currys (Jax Mayor). My service has never been shut off due to keeping my balance up to date. Recently, we had been in Wolfson's with my 3 year old who had a 103.5 temp and the flu for 4 days. It's my own fault, power bill was last thing on my mind and the hospital drained my funds but my little girl comes first.

I come home, power shut off and I get paid again in less than 24 hours. I have the past due plus enough, based upon my usage, for another 48 hours of power with a total of $30.00. That leaves me just enough to cover my daughter's scripts. But that's not good enough for these crooks, with a wonderful and consistent payment history, they had to have their extra $25.00 regardless if it took her script money and had me cracking her piggy bank counting change, even after explaining and pleading to a rep and their supervisor.

As a supporter of them through the hurricane, I withdraw all endorsements of JEA. They have zero remorse for families, zero customer service and for a company that rides around with a slogan saying "building communities"... It should say robbing families. I come from a Duke/Progress energy state in NC. Even with politicians having their hands in that jar, they showed a little personal relationship with the customer. My experience was lacking the level of customer service I would receive from an ATM. These are the guys that need regulations... They are not hurting for money while we hurt for power or an extra day!!! It's not like we were pro-rated when they couldn't get their act together with Hurricane Matthew.

Government needs to step in and put them in line!! If they want to claim to be part of our community, then they need to start acting like it. Remember JEA... Sunlight is free, Wind is free, Flowing water is free... YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY WAY. AND FURTHERMORE we the customers make your paycheck... Keep you working and create your jobs!!! Be thankful and diligent!!!! And stop being useless, inconsiderate **... As it could be you on the other end of a phone in one hand, sick daughter in the other asking for help!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I recently noticed an negative impact on my credit score from a property I moved out of 3 YEARS ago! The people that moved in just started paying the bill that showed up and moved out a few months ago. They said they let anyone pay your bill and they refused to remove the negative hit on my credit even though I paid someone's last bill in full. It should be a crime to accept payments from people with completely different names and at least should removed it off my credit when I paid another person's bill in full.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

I recently moved into the house after purchase and I noticed that the first bill was EXTREMELY high... $459 to be exact. I called and the rep told me that the sprinkler system was running a lot... 45min 4 days a week. She then explained that sometimes when the power gets turned back onto the sprinklers it sets itself to the highest setting. Okay unbelievable but sure I will reset the settings. Set my sprinkler system to water 5 minutes three days a week. My bill... $400. They have NO explanation for it. WORST company ever. Petition for some competition.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

My power was shut off for nonpayment. I never received a reminder / cutoff notice. I called and paid the bill. I travel extensively and sometimes I use the reminder to REMIND me when the bill is due. After waiting awhile, I called JEA to find out when my power would be restored. I was told by the JEA rep that because of the recent hurricane, the reminder / cutoff notices went out late and that a lot of people had their power disconnected without notice. A cursory glance at my payment history would have shown that I am not a delinquent customer.

Furthermore, a phone call would have gotten them paid INSTANTLY. Instead, JEA elected to waste company time, resources, and manpower to make two trips to my house, not to mention the incredible inconvenience to me and my family. In today's world of automated systems and technological advances, think of all the time, manpower and resources that could be saved with a simple automated phone call to account holders on the day that their power is to be disconnected.

I am as dissatisfied as I can possibly be with JEA. If there was another choice, I wouldn't be a JEA customer. I guess that is exactly the reason that JEA can get away with treating customers like this. Combine this with way that power restoration was handled after the recent hurricane and it obvious that whoever is running the show at JEA needs to be fired, and a thorough policy review needs to take place. As customers, we shouldn't stand for it, even if they are a monopoly.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

Just recently moved into the Saint John's area and my bill for the last two months has been around 120.00 for the time. Suddenly my bill jumps 2,700% for my water and sewage but there is no leak... no break in my pipes or anything. They said that I used over a thousand gallons a day!! Completely rude and told me to PAY UP. I am off the charts on my water bill. No idea how what this company is doing. Definitely taking this up with the city. I am not the only one they are trying to do this to either. Will switch companies if I can.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

Oreyell ** was extremely rude and incompetent. I called about a $290 addition deposit that they required and was cut off at every given chance, put on hold at every given chance. When I asked to wait on the line to speak with a supervisor, I was told "I don't have time to wait." She was rude at any given moment and GHETTO. I do not recommend.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2016

Woke up to no power at 7 am Sept 2, reported to JEA in which they gave a time of 7 pm to have it fixed. Got a atomic callback it was fixed. I pull up at 7 pm, seen the JEA truck but still no power. Talked to the JEA worker who said the Transformer needs to be replaced. He will be right back. Then 10 pm comes still no power. Call JEA. They said a truck came out at 5 pm. Said we had power. I SAID no it was 7 pm and he said we needed a transformer, that he'll be back and never came back. She noticed I was upset. Said she will get another truck out.

Trucks comes at 12 am Sept 3. Yes we're into the next day. Stays 10 min and leaves. Still no power so I call JEA back. Got a different rep who was very rude. Said the truck was out to see what the issue was not to fix it. I SAID why is that when the 7 pm truck already gave info the transformer needs fix. I just bought my kids grocery that are now ruined and no more money to replace it, wow 12:37 am Sept 3 still no power. SMH. We need another choice for an electric company, then JEA would appreciate their customers more. I'm really upset. Wow.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

So we live in a small two bedroom apartment upstairs and we keep it at 78, most of the time it's hot in our house at that temp. So why in the hell is our bill $270.00 a month on the MyWay - it's costing 9.00 a day and that is not including water because water is included with our rent!!! It is a crooked company! We've had them come out twice to check everything and they said its normal! No the hell it is not!!! My friends around here keep their temp at 72 and their upstairs home all day only paying 135.00!! Don't get JEA. They only want your money - very crooked company!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

Many of the homes in Jacksonville have been around for many years. Things get old, especially items that Jacksonville Electric installed many years ago. They charge a lot for us to use their service, which I feel is one of the highest in the nation. It was brought to my attention that every year they give millions maybe even billions to the city of Jacksonville. If they have that kind of money to throw away then why do we have to pay out of our pocket to have their things fixed, like the meter box. I feel this is an unjust to the average citizen. People in the US are struggling to make a living. I feel we deserve better. In the end God will win.

Original review: May 7, 2016

JEA Billing Basic Monthly Charge is the minimum amount all customers pay for a portion of system infrastructure and fixed costs regardless of consumption, such as meters and the meter network, the distribution system to deliver your utility service. JEA replied to an email indicating that due to the size of my pipes. Violating their own policy basic monthly charge for all other customers regardless of distribution system to deliver the utility service. Basic monthly for all customers water $12.60 and sewer $14.10. So now due to my pipe size is 3/4 my basic monthly charge $18.90 Water and $21.90. Water usage charge is $2.90 and sewer is $14.82. I charge JEA with a violation of policy in billing due to my delivery system. Note I have been in my home over 10 years and I have never re-piped my home. I have noticed an increased in my water and sewer in the last few years and I've been complaining to no avail.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2016

After numerous times of trying to pay my balance both online and over the phone, the representatives kept telling me that there is no other option than going into a physical location. I am handicapped and unable to do so. Both the online payment options and the pay by phone options freeze and representatives are unable to take a payment over the phone. I am not having internet problems or issues with any other site. The representative are courteous but unable to help insisting that the problem is on my end. When asked to speak with a representative, I was told none are available and someone would call me back within 24 hours. My bill is not past due. My complaint, representatives are unable to help solve any problems paying my bill.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2016

Jea is a very crooked company. So now they want to give our deposits back for being such great customers and paying our bill on time. But instead of giving us our $200 deposit back in cash like they received, they want to credit it to our next bill. Um no I want my money. I go onto the website to see who I can call to get my money back and I see my bill has a balance, a few cents. My bill has NEVER been over $120 and that's on a cold month. But all of a sudden my bill is a little over $200. These people think they're doing a good thing. All they did was steal my deposit! Crooks! I also don't know who is doing the math but $200 from $215 is not 22 cents. It's hard to make a decent living for your family when all greedy people want to do is steal your hard earned money. It hurts even more when you know you can't do anything about it. I dislike this company very much! My deposit should of covered at least a bill and a half.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

The problem with JEA is they sell electricity which they do not own. God created electricity and JEA charges you an arm and a leg to store it. When JEA takes away electricity you and I get piss. You find yourself sitting in a house with no lights cussing and yelling because nothing works because you didn't pay the bill or because of an outage. JEA does not care about taking electricity from you because they control it in Jacksonville. If other companies had control over electricity, then JEA would be nicer than they are because they would have to worry about customers switching.

Multiple times I had to deal with the carelessness of reps on the phone. One rep couldn't even credit me 5 dollars. JEA will raise your bill, then you will come home to a dark house and wonder why is your bill so high. JEA needs to be deregulated, that's when you have multiple electric companies. The only way for this to happen is the people of the city have to go to the lawmakers. If you're content with only one company controlling all of the electricity then don't do nothing.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2015

My normal water bill is $55 (for 3000 gallons of water) and has been for 3+ years. I then received a bill for $80 (for 6000 gallons of water), and then the following month I received a bill for $414 (for 54,000 gallons of water). Now for the 6,000 gallons of water they sent someone out to physically read the meter. Ok, I'm happy with that but they did nothing for the 54,000 gallons of water. So when I called they explain that they never make mistakes, the meter is never wrong, and gave me the normal spiel about lawn watering, swimming pools, outside faucets, and running toilets. I live in an apartment with no outside faucets, no swimming pool to fill, no lawn to water, and I had one toilet fixed that ran for approximately 20-30 minutes max because it is only a 15 minute drive home from work and I was on my way home when I got the call. I had the flapper valve replaced as well as the ball valve.

According to JEA's own site a leaking toilet wastes about 2,700 gallons of water a YEAR. So what about the other 51,000 gallons of water that went poof? When I contacted the JEA office we arranged for a representative to do an inspection of my apartment and guess what...... you guessed it NO LEAKS. So I sent in the paperwork... it took me several days to send in the paperwork. I talked to a manager at the office when we set up the apartment inspection and I specifically asked if they were going to turn off my water or wait till it was done. She said NO. So I come home from work today and guess what my water had been turned off and still no reply from JEA about an adjustment to their obviously inflated bill. Now I will be forced to suck up a $414 water bill, late fees, disconnect fees, and of course a reconnect fee bill. So their fraudulent bill will cost me over $500.

Updated on 1/6/2016: This is an update to the one before. Yes, they charged me $125.37 for water, $15.12 for sewer, and then a reconnect fee of $14.00. They gave me a credit of $140.00 as an adjustment. So basically, they over charge me $414 then give me a credit of $140 of the original $413 that was erroneously billed to me and I'm supposed to be all happy and giddy about that. That is the equivalent to a robber stealing your car and returning a wheel from said car. Then the $140 that they credited me with will be used to pay the other fees they so nicely leveled on my account.

Now, how is it that for 3 years I used 3000 gallons of water a month exactly? Not 3001 or 2609 but 3000 on the dot. I would say that they are rounding up their customer's water usage, which is basically charging them for water that the customer didn't use, which is the same as stealing to me. I mean, if you look at their number of customers and if they over charged by even $10 each month to every customer, they could be stealing 100,000 to 1,000,000 a year from their customers. How is that legal? Where is the legal overview or accounting?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2015

I have just received a residential deposit fee for $700 on my most recent bill due to a returned check and notice of disconnection. How ironic JEA says the reason is due to the two infractions which caused my internal score to go down. First and most importantly how can they say two infractions when the one goes hand in hand. 2nd I was never aware of the returned check which was due to my card info not updated as my card had already expired. I then immediately paid my bill including the fee.

I find it absurd that I can make on time payments for years and then one accident can cause my "internal" score to drop significant. I have a great credit score with bureaus but JEA I don't. I find it crazy JEA can continue to operate in this fashion. Please help me understand how a one time offense (which in JEA terms counts as a two part fraction) can result in an $700 fee. Thanks JEA for the holiday season gift. Sad where greed has driven America. The fact that nothing can be done about this speaks volume to where we are as a country.

JEA Company Information

www.jea.com
    Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.