2. Homeowners

Jacksonville, FL

3.9/5 (114 ratings)

About JEA

JEA Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JEA?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about JEA?

Original review: April 7, 2021

Wanted to post this disappointing experience with JEA. I received my monthly bill and it was ~$170 more than normal for this time of year (Typical is $180-$200 this time of year, Bill was $374). When reviewing the statement, I see an "other activities" charge for $163.97 on top of the normal charges. When I call the agent explains they suspect my meter wasn't working the last two months so they replaced it, then billed at their discretion what they believe my "average" should have been during the time they aren't sure the meter was working correctly. No data to support this. (As it turns out I live alone and was traveling so I expected a lower Bill).

JEA credited back the low charge from those months and added an arbitrary higher charge for the last two months to my March bill. I spoke with a CS rep who explained this pretty unapologetically. I asked for a manager call back, spoke to her tonight (she was polite but said policy is policy) and they basically said I'm out of luck. I have no choice but to pay this arbitrary high charge that I do not believe I used, that no one can prove I used, or they will shut off my power. They wonder why their reviews are lower than other options. How is it OK for them to have captive customers and then get to make up numbers for your bill that they can't prove were used.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I just Moved to Jacksonville Fl July 2020 from Ga and I have never had an electric bill over $120 but JEA is out here robbing their customers. For one month my bill was $460! I couldn’t believe it smh. It’s a pandemic and you all are robbing us to keep our lights on. I have 2 children and just lost my job due to COVID. How am I going to pay this bill... Yeah soon as my lease is up I’m moving out of Jacksonville.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

JEA are run by criminals just like everything else in Jacksonville. I have a 500 square foot apartment with a space heater as the only source of heat and these fools came at me with a 170.00 surprise in December! In five years I have never had a bill higher than 100.00 in the coldest or hottest months because it's a 500 SQUARE FOOT AREA!! Crooks, taking advantage of people struggling during a pandemic! Their board should be fired and the people given checks for the money they cost them with their blatantly fraudulent practices! Will get my money back JEA, you can count on it. You will never steal from me again!

This all stems from lack of honest and capable leadership in Jacksonville. Jacksonville is a police state who seems to get most of the city's money from the criminal justice system and now I'm thinking there is a lot of money changing hands through its utilities! You are worse than crooks and thieves, you are traitors! THE CITY WILL BE PAYING MY MARCH BILL NOW! YOU ARE THE SCUM OF THE EARTH!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

Resident of Northside Jacksonville Florida Placid and Drive area. My grandmother has 103 has been here for over 60 years. I relocated from North Carolina to Florida only to find that the water that's backing up in my grandmother's house is Purex or water I've already called the city and they stated that it has something to do with the piping in the house which is false. My neighbors have already reflect their whole entire house in the same thing as still happen sewer water backing up into the residence homes. If you follow back in the news as the side of town the city should have taken care of years ago. If I'm correct it will be over 50 years ago. Nothing has been done to our water is backing up into sink bathtub. Children are drinking this water. Having to you maintain hygiene and such field not to mention JEA has been known for fraud and their City I have walked the entire a resident who own their homes at the same thing.

It is the responsibility of the owner of the house however if the owner of the house has already repaid their whole house and explain to me why they still have sewer water backing up if I leave the Jacksonville and continuously try not to be responsible for the quality of water that are being pushed in these houses and their excuse has always been this is the responsibility of the resident however it does not explain why sewer water is backing up into everyone. Definitely would like someone to look into that. Definitely going to reach out to the news channels here in Jacksonville. Definitely need something done about this.

There's nothing but elderly people that live on this block and I believe this is why they are continuously not trying to take care of the situation but I am definitely not going to give up. I feel like this is just one more added thing that Jacksonville is lacking taxpayers app and earn money only to have sewer water coming out this week. Somebody please.

Original review: March 25, 2020

I'm truly disappointed at people working in JEA. Due this period when we all experiencing hard time with COVID-19, JEA is taking from me $500 deposit. In this period when we all have difficulties just to pay our regular bills and payments. We are not able to work due the situation and virus that affected us. But for JEA is not just enough to collect regular payments. They need to take extra $500 from my account and keep money for themselves NOW in this situation when I'm not even able to go outside and make money. When money is just going from account and no income. Truly disappointed that this is how we have support from JEA during COVID-19.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

My water was disconnected but no notice was left that this was the case. When I called it said was due to non payment, but not from regular bill but from additional deposit was being access. Pay the amount at 6:20 pm. Called JEA. I was informed that I missed the payoff time by 20 minutes to have anyone come out and reconnect water, the representative said the water would be reconnected between the hours of 8:00 AM and Noon. My wife called as well and was told the same thing by a different person.

AT 12:30 today called customer service. They said it would be sometime after 1:00-6:00, stated to them we were told 8:00 am to 12:00. She said, "No one should have told you that." We informed her that two people from their office provided that information. The customer service rep stated "Well the customer service rep should have never have told you that! The Rep are Wrong." We ask her both reps were incorrect, she stated, "Apparently so." When does JEA ever stand behind what is being told to their customers? There is an apparent disconnection between customer services, but it is the customer who pays for the miscommunication.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I come from Boca Raton Florida where the city provides water/sewer and FPL provides electric. I moved to southern St. Johns county in June of 2019. I am shocked when I compare the overall water rates, including reclaimed water for the lawn, of JEA vs the city of Boca Raton. The JEA reclaimed water rates are outrageous and abusive. The water rates are tiered based on volume consumed which is ok if the tier levels were reasonable for the average household. The reclaimed rate jumps from $2.60 per thousand gallons for the first 14,000 gallons then more than doubles (2.15 times) to $5.60 per thousand gallons!

What this means is that during the summer months, you can expect to pay $150 to $200 per month for reclaimed water only to keep your lawn green plus the water you use in your home! I complained to JEA and they referred me to their website where they have a comparison of their rates with other water utilities in the state of Florida. This comparison is deceptive and not valid since it only shows the water used in the home and excludes reclaimed water for the lawn. We are forced to use their reclaimed water for our lawn given that the irrigation system is connected this way. JEA is a MONOPOLY! We want reasonable and affordable water for our homes and lawns.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Zero stars... They can charge you any amount regardless correct or not. They charge all year around like it's winter.. Even if you only use lights your bill is still high. Jacksonville as a whole is ** up. Hopeful I will be moving soon. Thank God.

Original review: June 23, 2019

They charged my for 1,500 gallons of water in one day. Said it was my sprinkler system since I had no leak. Showed them footage of my sprinkler not running that day...no result. Paid $425 utilities bill for 1 adult and 2 toddlers living in a house...smh.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I have spoken to some nice people at JEA. I have prepaid and sometime I disagree with the way they treat me taking my daily usage out of my account like the 1.08 for misc and I do fill completely 100% percent over charged. But I do think that prepaid is also a good deal for the people that can't afford monthly services or for people that want to manage there spending better. I do feel overcharged and do find some customer service reps frustrated. I would be to, but they do need to come about a different way of. I do think JEA needs to be investigated. I'm also thinking about making a report to BB, there a lot wrong with JEA and we are paying customers and our voice should mean a lot.

JEA Company Information