JEA

Stars Rating

• 1%
  • 99%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JEA?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JEA?
    Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPriceStaff

Reviewed June 17, 2024

I recently purchased a house with a 374 sq ft cottage on a separate lot. The house and guest cottage each have their own utilities. I called JEA to have the power and water turned on to both houses, and there way no problem with the main house. The power for the cottage had a problem where the lights were dim. And it didn't have proper voltage. I called JEA and told them that I wasn't getting the correct voltage to the meter. I could visibly see that the wires coming to the cottage had been spliced and were 2 different sizes. They made me call an electrician who told them the same thing I did and they finally came and changed their wire to my house. The water for the cottage never got turned on so I looked in the meter box and there wasn't one. I had been billed for the cut on and was being charged for water and sewer while there wasn't even a meter there.

About a week later, they came and installed the meter, then I get a water and sewer bill for $70 with no usage not including the cut on fee. When I called about it, they told me it was because I had requested a 1 inch meter and they cost more. I told them that the line to my 374 sq ft cottage was 3/4 and why would they use a 1 inch meter. They said it was because I requested it and it will be $500 to change it to a 3/4 which would lower my basic w&s bill by 50%. I never requested it and they can't show me where I did, but they won't budge off of the $500. The linemen and repair guys are great but I would give the crs's and supervisors a zero if I could. We spoke to a supervisor and asked her to show us where we had requested the 1" meter. She said she couldn't find it,"But somebody had requested it".

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed April 18, 2024

JEA is a very fraudulent company. They have been billing huge amounts for electricity and water even when residents are out of town. There is absolutely no usage or intensely reduces like only 5% of the normal usage yet the bill was almost exact and at times even more than when residents were in town and living in the house. A 40 days out of town was exactly the same as 40 Days in town and invincible in the house. Even the Ecobee thermostat sends an email with the low usage of electricity the hill is exactly the same as the last month. I think a group of attorneys should look into these fraudulent billings and go after JEA with a class action lawsuit.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed March 4, 2024

They overcredited my account for a mistake they made then demanded I pay it back or they'd cut off my electric. It's their mistake. Not mine. Their JEA EZ-PAY messed up the payment. They need to be investigated and fined for this.

Reviewed Jan. 24, 2024

When I first bought this home 23 years ago I was paying $100 a month with three other people living with me. Now by myself, I’m paying nearly $400 a month. JEA seems to be monopolizing and taking advantage of people during a time when it’s hard to even afford rent and mortgage for most.

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2023

JEA is horrible company overall. Rates are horrible. They do not assist people with making arrangments, at least not decent arrangments, then they send a disconnection notice the same day that your service is to be disconnected!!! How is that fair!!!! The worst company ever, but they don't care because it's the only option people of Jacksonville have to have electric service, which is also horrible.

Profile pic of the author.
      Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Sept. 27, 2023

JEA meter stopped working and the electricity usage was not being properly read. The technician attempted to switch to different meters. However, the problem continued. JEA asked me to call in electrician and fix the wiring in the house, they assume that was the possible cost of the meter challenges. I paid for an electrician to fix anything that needed to be fixed, and at that time JEA informed me that everything was up and running correctly. Several months later I’m being told that, I owe a balance of an estimated usage of electricity JEA estimate comes to close to $600, and the company decided to build it all at once without any warning. I called to complain, and they told me that I cannot appeal how they arrive to the calculation, nor can I dispute their estimates. Essentially, I’m stuck paying an additional almost $600 of unexpected charges this month.

Customer ServiceInstallation & Setup

Reviewed Sept. 26, 2023

I have been trying to install water and electricity in my new home in Julington Lakes and I can't complete the process online due to some issues using two last names (the system doesn't accept it) and can't recognize my social security number which I have since I was born and obviously use it all the time. They request you to call but they plain and simple unreachable. I have been trying to contact them for 4 days + now and they just don't pick up. I am moving to my new home from South Florida in 6 days and I have no electricity or water. Please this is an urgent matter. Horrible.

Customer Service

Reviewed Sept. 20, 2023

I’ve lived in New York City, Princeton, London, Amsterdam, West Palm Beach and Jacksonville; JEA is the most corrupt enterprise I’ve ever dealt with. They once told me I used 55,000 gallons of water in one month - I’ve been a customer for 14 years and the most water I’ve ever used is 8,000 gallons. I filled a complaint with the State Attorney General. My monthly bill went from $400 in July to $1400 in August. I have auto pay set up, but I don’t have $1400 sitting in my checking account so their egregious charge was rejected. No phone call. No text message. No reaching out. Just shut my power off.

I paid online and instantly restored power, but not a single notification from them. I’m in the Coast Guard and currently at sea and had to restore power from offshore. Absolutely disgraceful company. My next home will be in FPL territory - I never thought I’d choose a house based off the utility service provider, but JEA is that corrupt that I can’t fathom living in their service area again.

Verified purchase
      Customer Service

Reviewed Sept. 7, 2023

I reserved services for a unit that I ended up not getting from 04/01- 04/04. Canceled this service and I'm having problems with the amount of $170 being returned out of $200, which my letter states is due to me, but I've gotten the runaround on when they will give it back. It's not a month later and I keep getting random letters of credit score and when I call different replies on when it'll be in the mail.. I just want my refunded amount to be returned back to me, I no longer live in Jacksonville.. The worst services ever seen and no one to report them too..

Reviewed March 13, 2023

No company should have a monopoly over everything. This is the ONLY electric company we get to deal with and if we want electricity we have to pay them whatever they want - not what the electricity is worth - ONLY what this company wants. I wish that Ben Franklin never discovered electricity or I wish he got a patent on it so nobody could use it. During the middle of the COVID pandemic, they took the liberty of using my whole deposit money without my consent and paid my electric bill. They had no business doing that because I was retired and had nothing to do with no job or no paycheck during the pandemic.

Now I am being charged really, really high rates and I'm literally living in the dark. I don't use my oven or stove. I don't use my dishwasher. I don't take showers or baths every day. I don't use my washer or dryer. If I decide to eat, I wash one dish a night. And I'm still being charged a very high bill. I have the lights out most every day and what lights I do use, there are 15w bulbs in them. I am also using night lights. I wouldn't want to work for this company because they shut electricity off when people don't pay their bills and they are responsible for killing people. I don't want that on my conscience when I die.

JEA Company Information