3.4/5 (310 ratings)

About Georgia Power

Georgia Power Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Georgia Power?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

Worst power company ever. I just moved in my apartment. After I sent them my documents, there is no confirmation email popped out. I already made sure I sent it to the correct email address, but the GPC customer service agent still said they never received it. They didn’t even tell me I can also send information through text or fax, and their customer service people hanged me up even I didn’t say anything bad. I sent it through text this time. Hopefully the ** company will see it this time. There are so many complaints from GPC’s customers regarding its bad services. I need to ask local police office about how to file a business claim for inappropriate customer service.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

I absolutely HATE GA Power, they take advantage of being the only option that we have for electricity services. I can call customer service 10 times, and each time they will tell me something completely different. They are only concerned about money and will do unethical things to get the money. They transferred credits without permission, they make it hard to get my credit returned to me, and they DO NOT CARE. I contemplate moving JUST TO GET AWAY FROM GA POWER. I absolutely hate how they handle business, and once an employee of theirs make a mistake at your expense, guess what? You're stuck paying more with no other options given. There is no such thing as customer service!!!!

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

Georgia Power electric recycling used refrigerators program is terrible. I have been waiting for a pick up over 2 months, they keep calling me and everytime they say have no available days to come. This recycling program which sounds helpful, it's pointless. They just give you the run a around.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

This company should be ashamed of themselves. Their customer service employees could care less about helping you. I have been trying to get a Supervisor to call me for months. I will finally figure out a way to get to the CEO and will share my log of every encounter I have had that has gotten me nowhere. I also am in the process of communicating with the Atlanta local news Fox 5 to do a story on this hideous experience.

Original review: July 19, 2022

I have submitted 3 requests by email and called GA Power twice in order to get the surge protector installed for my home. When I call to ask why I am not getting a response I get told that there is nothing they can do about it and I get told that I must resubmit my request. This is very frustrating.

Original review: July 4, 2022

My debit card expired. Bank sent me a new card with a later expiration date. Same card number. Billmatrix will not allow me to add the new card or edit the original. I figured wth I'll delete the entire account and start over with the new card. Won't allow me to delete the account. Very difficult to get a human on the line for help, so the bill remains unpaid until I burn very expensive fuel to travel to a payment site. Shouldn't be this hard to pay a bill.

Original review: June 7, 2022

We have had Georgia power for over ten years. Never a late payment. Our bills have been getting higher and higher each month despite us not using more power. They charge ridiculous fees that we never agreed to pay. Today my bill came in and I have the following charges added onto my bill: Environmental Compliance Cost 51.24. Nuclear Construction Cost Recovery 10.55. Municipal Franchise Fee 5.00. I am being charged these fees monthly and there is nothing I can do if I want to have power. It should be criminal to steal all this money from people! I have two disabled children at home and can't afford this nonsense, but no one can live without power. If we had any other choice, I would leave Georgia power in a second.

Original review: March 3, 2022

Georgia Power is the biggest rip-off. You charge me for a nuclear power plant that you're building or have built. I don't own it, I'm not making a profit off of it I shouldn't have to pay for it!! I live in an 800 square foot house, with no heat in the kitchen or bathroom. Yet every year you jack up my bill and pretend I'm using more electricity. I pay the same amount for my bill that people in a 1500-2000 square foot house. My bill this month was $217. I can't even afford a stove because I'm paying Georgia Power so much money. I pay well over $1200 a year for power. I've been in my house for 8 years! I don't have a washer/dryer/ stove. I don't heat the kitchen or bathroom.

They are building solar plants all over the state of Georgia and producing cheaper power but charging us the same amount of money and pocketing the difference. You know how I know??? Because I drive all over the state and see their solar yards!!! I see their name on the signs. 8 years of ripping me off. $217 dollars out of my 900 a month disability check. That's 24% of my income going to electricity. You know how much my rent is? Only 350! If I ask for a payment plan then you want to charge me an additional deposit. If I don't have the amount of the bill then what makes you think I have an additional 100-150 for a deposit.

I stopped asking for payment plans years ago. When I get the money they will get the money. I'd rather pay a 10 dollar late fee than a 150 deposit. I have to cook with a rice cooker and a microwave. Now I can't even heat my home I have to sit here cold under a blanket because they charged me $217 this month. Then when I tried to dispute the meter reading they threaten to charge me for the man coming out to check the meter. If I don't have the 217 what makes you think I've got the money for the man to come out to the house???

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

Someone hit the guide wires to the pole that services our property when we weren't home. GP came out to "fix" the problem. When I got home, pole was leaning, guide wires were not fixed properly and causing wires to touch our carport. Called GP back out to fix the problem. They said we need a new service pole beside our house. Funny how OUR pole was fine until their pole and guide wires were "fixed" by their own people! Also, the lineman had snarky remarks about where we live and came close to insulting me while I fight cancer!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I have never known a company to make it so hard for us to get power after family members passed. We have been out of power since December 16th. Now there is an outstanding bill we are responsible bc we couldn't get an account opened up in our name. We have sent documentation in. We also had our power box messed with while we were out of state but we have no proof because our power was cut off without us being notified by Georgia Power themselves, while we were out of state. We left to go get other documents needed to open our account. We had no problem trying to pay on the other account but we don't have that much money laying around.

This is an emergency situation and we have been without power long enough. We have small children and animals and this has cost us jobs and food and about to be our home if something isn't done. I lost my husband working with this company almost 12 years ago and I never would have expected this kind of treatment. We had been told constantly that they have payment programs and other programs to help, but yet we have hit a brick wall no matter what we do.

Georgia Power Company Information