2.07/5
Based on 28 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a utility company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

28 Georgia Power Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Ga Power has utterly made me absolutely loathe your company's morals and judge of character. With terrible reliability and lack of communication for the customer. Not having 24/7 service can and is detrimental to one whose family is in dire need when outages and unprofessional representatives are Not available. Your people are trained to give Lies to the general public on WHY you multiply rates in the summer. If you work for Ga Power I'm sorry your life has succumbed to its inhumane economic business practice. Your fellow middle class American citizen, Merry Christmas; May your stockings be filled with fecal matter.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

So I have received 2 additional deposit notices from GA Power in the last 6 months because my bills have been late. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in March. So I’ve missed a lot of work because of treatments without pay. I called and explained they have to train their customer service department to have empathy. It was, “Oh but you still need to pay on time.” They are a monopoly and don’t care. If I can’t pay in time why charge me more. Doesn’t make common sense. Now I’m sitting here contemplating on should I pay the mortgage or light bill. We need other choices for utilities inside of Atlanta then they would care more about the consumers.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I’ve been waiting 4 months now for a refund check. While I was a customer if my payment was late service would have been interrupted. Keep in mind I paid a deposit for services. Discontinued service mid August. Still waiting for refund check. No, I cannot come into an office to pick up check, they closed them. No, they cannot refund to the credit card or bank account I was required to give them for payment. Why is it they have multiple payment options for customers to give them money yet only have ONE way to refund money back? Crooked all day long! I hope and pray I never, ever move to a place that requires service from Southern Company! Crooked bunch of red necks!!!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Received an invoice from Georgia Power on 9/25 - immediately paid the invoice by check on 9/26. Apparently, the check didn't make it. Georgia Power did not send another statement making me aware that they didn't receive the payment I mailed them. Instead, they sent the account to collections. However, collections was kind enough to find my email and emailed me informing of the additional charges that Georgia Power ordered against me, they also threatened to mess with my excellent credit.

I called and spoke to one of the supervisors that work in the customer service department, informed him that Georgia Power didn't notify me that the first payment I had mailed them wasn't received. The supervisor didn't seem to care that I wasn't notified about payment a second time but seemed more eager to see that extra fees accumulated to the account. After speaking with customer service I felt like Georgia Power customer service, was not too interested in helping solve an honest issue likely caused by the aftermath of a storm (poor mail service). I felt as if they stand behind a collection agency that their ultimately goal is to threaten customer's credit rating.

The way Georgia Power handled my situation is the way I'd expect real scammers to act. When they are calling people and trying to get payment from them by threatening their credit. Whatever happened to great customer service?. It shouldn't be too hard to see who pays on time and he doesn't, but the supervisor stated that all customers get treated the same. I took that to mean that all customers will be hit with additional charges and adverse credit reporting regardless of the fact that natural catastrophes such as Hurricane Michael may have been the reason the payment was lost. The 26.74 plus additional fees were paid online the same day I received an email from the collection a department. Would have done the same with Georgia Power minus the fees had they informed me just as the collection department so happily done.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I am a combat disabled veteran on a fixed income. I am 90% disabled and I reached out to Georgia Power to help me with my outstanding electrical cost. They were unwilling to help me and assured me that if payment was not received that my electricity would be shut off. I tried to get out on budget billing so that I could still pay and not break the bank at the same time. They once again told me that I was unable to get budget billing, even after I told them that I was a combat disabled veteran on a fixed income.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Georgia Power?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

My rates have been steady for the last year, as Georgia Power offered me flat rate billing. Once that was over, I was increased $49.00 per month to continue. After inquiring about this on the phone, it went away, but I was told I cancelled it. So now my past few months bills have TRIPLED and they won't do a thing about it. They said I cancelled this but I only inquired. Now if I want flat billing again, the rate is $12.00 more after just one month. A $61.00 increase per month!!! I am on a fixed income and they just give smart aleck answers about how I can budget or they will give me the senior discount, but ONLY if I qualify. They have WAY TOO MUCH POWER!!!

Original review: June 29, 2018

I’ve been with this company for a little bit now and fell sick October 2017 and have had some help paying my electric bill and then I paid my electric bill and now because of what they say is a bad history of paying the electric bill and because I’ve had to have help twice now pay it not only did they hit me with $150 deposit they also were like "Yeah" and "It’s all due on this date to make your bill for $417." And then the very rude lady even stated and really "You need to pay it on your due date because there’s nothing we can do to make a payment arrangement" and "I’m so sorry you’re going through things but if you don’t pay it by your due date will disconnect your service then you have to pay that amount and a reconnection fee and additional deposit."

This is always been the one company that will NOT work with you will not go above and beyond doesn’t care about any type of medical things, personal things, any hardship that you go through they’re going to stick it to you anyway they can to get money regardless of how you’re trying to work with them even though the bills are getting paid every single time.

Sometimes you just might have to make an arrangement from time to time! Do they care no! You can sit in your house die from heat stroke have no electricity. Georgia Power could care less. All they care about is the mighty dollar and being $1 billion company and not doing anything to help the customers they have but it’s sad because that’s the only company here you can really choose from when you live in big cities. This company is beyond Sickening. There other big companies that would bend over backwards and work with people knowing that the bill is getting paid. Georgia Power is awful!!!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have Georgia Power and I’m in the prepaid program. They have sent back two of my payments on 2 separate occasions and charge me a extra 60 bucks for return check and the next time it was 50. They block me from making any payments online and I don’t have a car. They told me they didn’t care and it was nothing they would do to fix it now. My lights are about to cut off. I have three small in my house and I don’t get paid till Thursday but I just paid them yesterday and they returned my money. Now I owe 50 bucks. Georgia Power is nothing but a lie. They take all your money and claim it’s your fault that they returned the money. At first they blamed my bank and when I ask my bank they said they are not taking the money back. I want to take this higher power. This is unfair and against the law. I called the news to report. I hope that Georgia Power gets exposed for the crooks they are.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Georgia Power enrolled me in automatic payments. I never sign up for automatic payments for anything. The next month, I made a payment and there was an automatic payment. They returned one payment, still accepting one payment for the amount of the bill. My bill still showed the original amount plus a $30 fee for having to return it. I have spoken to two different people and they say that because one of the payments was returned, I now have to pay the bill twice plus a $30 fee.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I first started service with Georgia Power in October of 2017. The first two payments I had no trouble. In January I received a noticed that my payment was returned from my bank so that I now needed to pay a $100 deposit plus a $30 dollar return fee. I was never informed that my bank account was "incorrect". I checked and all the information was correct. I said, "No problem." and paid 192. dollars for a energy service of 1 room apartment. The next month I was billed 204 dollars adding a 100 dollar deposit but I said ok.

Today is May 15 of 2018 and the 204 amount is being charged again. I called my bank and they said that they have not returned any payments from my account. I then called Georgia Power and they are accusing me of calling to stop the payment. Georgia Power should be ashamed of their customer service and of stealing money from customers like that. But of course what can you do when you cannot switch companies and have to pay whatever they tell you even if they do not have an explanation for it. On top of that their customer service is horrible. The only thing they could say was, "Well the amount due is there. Now you have to pay for it."

Original review: March 16, 2018

When setting up my auto-payment, I mistakenly missed a digit in my Remit To number. However, at the time I was unaware and GA Power CONFIRMED that my auto pay was set up. I logged back in a month later to find that the previous month was overdue. Unsure what the issue was, I reset my auto-pay and GA power confirmed again that I was enrolled. When I logged back in a month later, both payments were overdue. Although this was my keying error, there was no communication to me, via email or phone, to inform me that my account balance was overdue. Let alone communication that the account had never been confirmed.

When I called, the representative informed me that GA power only sends notifications via mail. Snail mail is not a sufficient form of communication in this day and age, specifically for customers who have opted out of paper billing in order to maintain only electronic records. Because my checking account routing number was not correct for two instances, GA Power has now discontinued my ability to pay via web, phone, debit, or credit card. I now am forced to go into stores once a month and physically pay them. As a customer who has outstanding credit and financial standing, including no previous late payments of utilities or bills in any kind, I find this to be a major inconvenience.

This is an easy and relatively inexpensive fix for GA Power. Inserting a penny check for account setups or providing electronic communication (email, automated phone call, etc.) could stop these mistakes from occurring altogether. Not to mention, encouraging electronic communication is much more environmentally friendly. As a company, I would hope these would be changes they would already be considering. It's disappointing that it appears to be a tactic to extract fees from customers.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Whether you're calling Georgia Power for a personal or professional matter, you will be treated as an inconvenience by their "How dare you?!" approach to customer service. If you're thinking about calling customer service, let me save you some time: "The problem is on your end. Not on Georgia Power's end." "We don't need to send someone out to check it out. We just know." "No, we can't sent you a receipt for your recent transaction with us." Just read all of that in a condescending, sing-songy voice and you'll get the full effect without wasting any time on the phone. This is a prime example of the dangers of a monopoly. When you have customers who have no choice but your overpriced product, you treat them like an inconvenience. I can't wait to move out of Georgia and never pay this worthless "company" (see: racket) another dime of my money.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Georgia Power added deposit computer generated cutoff and on to the penny. If you do not personally contact you will be without for the duration without notice. Payments are all made with added fees thru computer systems.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I've paid into the hundreds of thousands for electric service at several homes and businesses over the years here in Atlanta. Customer care over the phone is the absolute worst I've ever consistently been subjected to. When I ask to speak to a supervisor, the rep says they are the supervisor. When I ask to talk to a manager the call is disconnected. This has happened too many times to count. Why is there so much attitude when dealing with customer care. The common attitude is that the customer is always wrong? I've made numerous complaints over the years and nothing has changed. GA Power has the most horrible and demeaning phone reps I've ever encountered.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Georgia Power now offers 'Paperless Billing' as a feature of their website (to save themselves the postage and printing costs of mailing paper statements). The problem is that they do not acquire informed consent from clients to switch these clients from Paper to Paperless Billing. Instead this is acquire via a default 'tick' to a paperless billing option located at the bottom of their online payment screen. Hence clients making online payments may fail to see this when making such payments, and therefore not 'untick' this box. The consequences of this, is that suddenly without knowing consent, paper statement are no longer sent out to such clients.

Now the problem with 'Paperless Billing' is that these are sent via e-mail. As we all know, e-mails do not always reach their intended recipients and can and do go astray, or end-up being lost amongst e-mail spam or in a spam or junk mail folder somewhere. This is exactly what happened to me and for 3 months and without my actual knowing consent, I received no paper billing statements for those 3 months, nor e-mail notifications, due to the e-mails which were not anticipated and therefore were not 'whitelisted' being diverted into a Junk Mail Folder. Now as a Property Manager I handle many accounts with many different Utility Providers and service providers, and for this reason I would NEVER KNOWINGLY agree to accept Paperless Statements over Paper Statements.

Unfortunately as a consequence of Georgia Power's devious Paperless Billing enrollment methods, I was switched from Paper to Paperless Billing and we lost track of the rate at which electricity was being consumed at a specific property address. Had we received a paper bill for the property concerned, not only would the bill have been paid on time, but the thermostat would have been reset to reduce electricity consumption. When calling Georgia Power on 01/19/2018 to complain about this and see this we could get a reduction of these outrageous bills, their response was basically 'it is your responsibility to check your billing, and if you didn't get a bill you should have called us'. So they refused to reduce the bill and to acknowledge any wrongdoing on their side for their illegal and/or unethical billing switching practices.

Of course as a Utility Provider they have a monopoly in providing electrical service to the affected premises, so I had no choice but to pay their bill, plus late fees, or else they would simply have cut the service. This is a typical example of how monopolistic utility companies violate the public trust and engage in unethical and deceptive billing switching practices. From a customer service perspective I would give Georgia Power zero 'stars' if that were at all possible. Of course I do not expect anything positive to come from this but consumers BEWARE. Georgia Power is a monopolistic utility provider with few morals or scruples and who are more interested in saving mailing costs than serving their client base.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Anytime there is a weather disturbance, the power goes out. I understand that there are a lot of trees with branches falling off every time there is a bit of wind, though, this is happening more than often and Georgia power is not able to take care of the issue in time. And when I say in time, I mean timely enough to avoid customer dissatisfaction and frustration. It appears that there are no prevention policies/plans in place for such sudden issues and this creates power outages all over Georgia resulting in very long delays. I have no words to describe my dissatisfaction and disappointment, and honestly I don’t believe that anyone actually cares about this.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I have subscribed to surge protection since 1999. Never had file a claim until August 2017. When I did it took almost 3 months for anyone to contact me. After numerous call, I got the runaround, finally someone contacted me. I asked for an order #. I was told they don't have order #s. The technician advise there was no surge protection device on my meter, I called Ga power once again. I was advise I had my meter changed out two times in the past 4 yrs. and a surge protector was not installed. I had a 73 " tv destroyed (4) 36" tvs and a Sony stereo receiver. I was offered $250.00 for the damage, I refused. About 2 wks later another rep. came to my home and offered me $1200 for all my equipment. I refused again. I told them I would see them in court.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I live in South Georgia where Hurricane Irma just came through and it broke the light pole connected to my house so the power went out. And we've been waiting for 3 whole days for them to fix one damn light pole. They say they don't know what's wrong, and instead of figuring it out they all packed up and went home

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

The customer service was great and nothing compares to it. They will solve your answer in a heartbeat, are very knowledgeable, and it was a great experience. The bill includes some discounts here and there for their loyal customers. Also, the bill accuracy was correct and always on point. The service is reliable and doesn't fail. There is rarely any service interruption and it is guarantee that you will get a best offer on it. The perceived value is good and nearly accurate. It must be a great service if their perceived value is correct.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

I had a horrible time trumping to fix my problem. I got attitude from customer service and not a bit of help from anyone. I would not want to call back even to complain because it was terribly rude and slow service. The bills were wrong for two months. We logged it ourselves as has been my husband's concern when our first bill was incredibly high. He counted it himself and came up nearly $40 difference. It sounds like maybe it would have been a good deal, without the stealing money, but you're getting what you pay for. You pay cheap, you get cheap. Expect what you're paying for. Probably the only good thing I will say is that it was always on through storms when even the neighbors were down. Maybe that is where the extra money was going.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2016

I have seen them work round the clock to restore power when we have had an outage as we did several years ago with an ice storm. Also when we lose power due to electrical storm. As far as I can tell the bill is always accurate. Of course I would like for it to be lower. I do know they offer a service where you can pay roughly the same every month so you don't have the really high bills in Summer or Winter. I assume the value is as good as any other power company. If there ever is a problem they are quick to fix it. They keep me warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I feel that this is something I rely on them to do. I also feel that I can rely on them to make things right when things go wrong.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

The customer service aspects of the company are very involved in meeting all the criteria of excellence, family orientated and over the top. Never had a problem with getting my bill and having to have something corrected afterwards. The bill was always accurate and stated everything correctly. The value of the product meets the standards of being borderline overrated. The other aspects bring the value higher for me. If they brought the cost down the value of membership would be higher. Very reliable service. Never let down during problematic experiences as a paying customer. Service always follows through one hundred percent.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

I've always been very satisfied with the customer service at Georgia Power. They are very friendly and always helped me with any issues I had. I've never had problems with my Georgia Power bills. They have always been accurate and the price is very reasonable. I highly recommend them. The value of service and expertise at Georgia Power is topnotch. Any issues or problems I may have encountered were handled promptly and there was also no charge. Anytime we may have encountered an outage, Georgia Power was extremely reliable in the fact that the outages were quickly and expertly resolved.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

Pretty helpful whenever I had an issue. Didn't have to wait too long on hold to speak to a representative. I don't know if I would recommend them to others though, as I thought the prices were a little high. The bill accuracy was pretty good. I would recommend this to others, as I never experienced any issues with my bill during the time that I used them. This is the reason why I did away with them. I liked the customer service and the company as a whole, but I thought that their prices were too high compared to others. I thought the reliability was very good, and I was pretty happy. I really didn't have any issues with it to be honest. If the price was better, I probably would have stayed with them longer.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

Knowledgeable about my service but sometimes cannot understand a non-typical issue such as credit from a prior error that has not posted. The bill is very straightforward and easy to read. And the bill also provides relevant information about typical usage. Plenty of information about payment methods. Service is reliable under most conditions. It would make sense that in extreme weather conditions there might be a disruption in service but it typically is only for a short while.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

They was very nice to me - never had a problem. Every time I call they did what they said they will do. They let me slide sometimes on my bill from month to month. My bill was never wrong. If I pay too much they let me know and add it on my other bill. They are really trustworthy. I just like this company - nothing bad to say about them. It's worth every dime. They tell how to save on bill - never had a problem. Wish I can tell everyone about them nothing bad to say about their value. They are very reliable. Please use them. They can be trusted better than most if not all. Just keep them in mind if you want good care.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

Always friendly and willing to please customer. Rarely any need for escalation. Great demeanor from every representative on every phone call. Bills are almost always accurate and any problems are addressed and resolved quickly. I don't have any real complaints with monthly billing. The rates are good and they are fairly competitive with the rates of other companies. Energy rates have been skyrocketing but their rates have held steady. Their services are completely reliable and their customer support is reliable and wonderful. Outages are extremely rare and fixed very very quickly.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

The customer service of this company was very knowledgeable in their field and it appeared that the employees were eager to help and do their jobs. The accuracy of the bill was always near perfect and was never any cause for concern or had any issues to be disputed. The accuracy of their calculations were always spot on or off by minor numbers. The value of the service done by this company is very meaningful and were always done with efficiency and with 100% accuracy and with the consumers in mind. The power provided by this company seldom had outages occur and was always a reliable source of power and energy for home appliances and the neighborhood.

Georgia Power Company Information