1.92/5

Need a utility company?

Need a utility company?

37 Georgia Power Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I submitted for service on a Friday afternoon and received an email that stated that I will receive my account info and additional information within 8-24 hours. Saturday at exactly 2:43 pm, I received an email from Online Customer Care informing that I need to pay a deposit and there was link that led me to payment options. Mind you, I have no way of making this deposit because I wasn't given a 10 digit account number to create an online account or call the payment in for that matter. So I responded to the email and asked how to make this payment because the phone system and the website needs an account number.

Here I am, at 6:21 pm without a response still because I'm sure they all have gone home. I'm relocating from SC to GA to start work on Monday and the GA Power account number is a requirement before I receive my keys from the leasing office. Now, it looks like it will be Monday before I can move in and get any help which is a huge inconvenience because in the middle of trying to get this taken care of, I'll be in training for my first day of work.

Original review: June 27, 2019

These people never help the customer. Their website is misleading on payment dates and they tack on whatever fees they want. If they didnt have a monopoly given to them by the government they would not have a single customer!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2019

The CEO, or whomever in the upper echelon needs to go. Period. What-ever goes on in the dark will surely come to light. And ** runs downhill. These people are liars and ripoff artist at best. My bill was paid via their {GP}portal. Apparently, I hit a (7) in on the keyboard instead of a (6) when entering my account number and routing... So the banking was verified via the account # but not the routing. Okay, I was hit with a uncollectable fee...why couldn't they just call or email [?] as this was an obvious error???

Okay, this triggered a {turn off notice}. So I repaid the bill via my bank account. My banking official confirmed that the payment was sent. It was deducted from my account. GP official/customer service claims that they haven't received it so they issue another turnoff notice along with the next bill which is due at the end of June. I question if they could conference a call to my bank; of course NOT. I question if I paid it again via their portal, would I receive a refund for the amount sent via my bank account. I was informed that the payment sent would be credited to future bills.

I now see the scam, with a turnoff notice they know the consumer would pay forthwith. I honestly believe they have my payment. My bank advised me to dispute the matter. Once I pay again, GP will release that payment which will actually give me a credit. But I don't want the credit. I just want to do what's right. SOMEONE NEEDS TO SHAKE THE GP TREE AND SHAKE IT NOW. THIS AGENCY NEEDS A CLEAN SWEEP.

Original review: April 12, 2019

3 Days Still No Power. I'm so disappointed and frustrated I could cry. I paid my deposit to start new service for a home I just moved into 3 days ago. Over the past 3 days I have been told 4 different stories out of 6 calls and here it is 12:06am and I still have not received service. This is the first time I've seen anything like it.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I went online and paid four separate accounts during a weekend. Afterwards I realized I had selected a checking account that I had just closed. The following Monday morning I called in to correct my error. Even though I immediately paid the accounts with a new account I was told each account would be charged $30. The only way I could get credit was to have my bank write a letter saying it was the banks fault. Shame on Georgia Power for not being more flexible. I have no choice but to deal with them. Imagine if a “real” business treated customers like that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Georgia Power?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Without fail, Georgia Power always plays with dates in my account. I'll make a payment the day before the meter is even read for the new bill, and the day after I do, I get a new bill. When I log into my account, it shows a disconnect notice if the past due amount (which was just paid the day before) isn't paid. That's fine, but here's where it gets weird: The new bill issue date shows as the date I actually made the payment, and the payment date shows as the day the new bill was issued.

I have e-mail verification of when a new bill generates and payments made. I have a feeling this deliberate manipulation of dates is how they'll justify hitting me with an additional deposit three months from now, which GP is notorious for doing. They'll claim my payment is always a day late and a dollar short. Deceptive practices. It's not enough that you just forked over hundreds of dollars to keep your account current. Evidently, that's not why they like to see. Power companies are not organic monopolies. I am sick to death of inorganic monopolistic conglomerates screwing the working class with what can righteously be deemed the "poor tax". I'll be back with an update WHEN GP requests an additional deposit.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Recently relocated and the representatives at GA power were very helpful and professional. They have convenient technology that allowed them to power up the place remotely so I didn't have to wait for a technician. They have worked with me in the past on repayments etc. They have never reported anything late to my credit and their prices are fairly reasonable unlike some cities like East Point.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We set up the auto-pay immediately after move-in. However, we wrongly filled the card number instead of account number which led to a return check. But we didn't realize that until we received the penalty notification. It was because we checked our bills online (this is 2019) and they bills on the website looked like you have paid very well. So we never thought the auto-pay has been returned twice. No one called or emailed. They said they mailed, but they don't have evidence and they DONT CARE! The customer service is really poor. Both agent and supervisor just repeatedly said they can't do anything. They didn't answer about why their website confirmed I have paid. They also didn't suggest how to fix this problem. Now we can't use any payment other than money order. I saw the other reviews with the same issue. And I am working in the IT and customer service area, this is an easy fix. But the company just DONT CARE!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I was enrolled in their "Flat" billing program which I misunderstood to my loss. I thought this program worked like an escrow that periodically got "squared up". Nope. You pay the agreed amount and that's it. After moving out of the house, I dragged my feet getting in touch with them and figured we would "square up" what was owed. Nope. Turns out I ended up paying like $1/kWh for four months. I asked if there was anything they could do. You guessed it. Nope, you owe the money. I will NEVER use Georgia Power again and I bet they don't even care.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Ga Power has utterly made me absolutely loathe your company's morals and judge of character. With terrible reliability and lack of communication for the customer. Not having 24/7 service can and is detrimental to one whose family is in dire need when outages and unprofessional representatives are Not available. Your people are trained to give Lies to the general public on WHY you multiply rates in the summer. If you work for Ga Power I'm sorry your life has succumbed to its inhumane economic business practice. Your fellow middle class American citizen, Merry Christmas; May your stockings be filled with fecal matter.

Georgia Power Company Information