2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

3.8/5 (120 ratings)

About Georgia Power

Georgia Power Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Georgia Power?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Georgia Power?

Original review: May 1, 2021

I would definitely recommend going elsewhere if you can. Georgia Power has relied for years on their monopoly on the market, and because of that, it’s obvious that they haven’t made customer satisfaction a priority at all. To say that Georgia Power’s billing department and IT department is “poorly run” is grossly inadequate. The good news is, slowly but certainly, they are losing their control of the Georgia market (just look at the Nestle plant they lost to Walton Electric in 2020) so if you live in an area where you have a choice in utility companies, I highly recommend you go with ANY other company, because you will have a much better experience than you would with Georgia Power.

Otherwise, you’re looking at being subject to a whole host of issues, including (but certainly not limited to) an extremely unreliable website (which is a huge problem since the vast majority of customers pay their bills online), horrible customer service, and asinine policies such as not being able to use debit or credit cards to make your payments on a very frequent basis (they limit the number of transactions you are allowed) thus forcing you to either give them access to your bank account directly (no thank you) or going in person to one of their physical locations to pay your bill in person. Good riddance, Georgia Power. I’ll be so glad when you’re no longer in business????

Original review: April 25, 2021

Our neighborhood lost power at 8:40 pm last night due to a storm. If there are no widespread outages in the Atlanta area, then why do we have to wait almost 24 hours for power to be restored? I get that the outage was caused by a tree, but 24 hours? My experience with this company has me thinking about moving to Cobb County just so that I don't have to deal with the God awful customer service every time we lose power. I'm wondering if we are being treated this way because we live in a predominantly ** neighborhood.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2021

Power went out at 2a. Notification that power would be in at 5a. Every few hours they extend it. I have lost all my food over a tree that fell. You need to do a better job communicating the truth and not lead people on. Also quicker turn around in power outages. Ridiculous way to run a business.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

The Great Squirrel Conspiracy. I allege this company orchestrated an act to commit fraud by cover-up and discarding valuable evidence, so as not to pay out a claim, particularly in my case. This conspiracy was conducted by at least 4 employees, to benefit and protect company interest. Using a common “Squirrel” rhetoric. I Michael C., state the following as TRUTH, to be backed up by text, emails, photos and a witness. Certain evidence was being held back in an attempt to see how far these GP employees would go with their different stories. My attorney and I do not feel this case is worth pursuing. Just being able to make a record of events and also inform others is enough for us. Just filed the BBB complaint.

1. Saturday 1/16/21 at 9:15 pm. Lost power at residence while working. 2. Sunday at 4pm. Ross (home inspector/handyman) who was previously scheduled to replace furnace circuit board, but instead came out and inspected home. Investigating for 1.5 hours. He could not resolve the issue. Noticed the house wiring to be fine. It was at the pole on the street we noticed evidence of the Neutral wire (silver) had become disconnected from its wire crimp. The wire crimp is not for support. The resistor ceramic wheel is for the support of this type of wire. I have a 32 foot ladder in my back yard. A closer inspection was needed. It was placed on an adjacent tree so as to reduce a possible injury to myself. Wired pulled out/no damage from squirrel evident.

3. I then Called Georgia Power around 5:20pm or so. A Tech or linesman arrived at my residence in less than 20 minutes. After his arrival and in one of our very short conversations, I requested to either know what happened or see some damaged part. He basically drove off before answering my question of what caused my power failure issue. Really? This was the first FLAG of many more to come in my story of the mysterious metal eating squirrel. Two employees had stated to me that a squirrel will chew on a raw metal line to sharpen the teeth. True but no damage visible at area linesman replaced small section.

4. I proceeded to call my insurance company. The Claim was too small and had a large deductible. I then called the Georgia Power claims department.

After a week of back and forth this claim was also denied. Their claims adjuster (Mr. C.) basically laughed at me and stated that I have no evidence. Really? I asked why nothing was saved from the so-call squirrel damage. No answer. I then asked, what if the house burned down or someone had died. Still. No legitimate answer to my question. A detective would probable get more answers than this GP customer did.

5. I proceeded to call GP customer service, who then put me in touch with a supervisor (Mr. M). He was sent photos (after the incident) showing the work performed. The next tech (Mathew) came out Friday 29th to inspect (10 ish) and replaced the entire line to the house, with Mr. M in his presence. When Mathew first arrived he initially went up to inspect the previous tech's work (Mr. M was not present), when he came back down and off of the bucket I questioned him. The question to Mathew: "The crimp that held my neutral line to the secondary line, was it new or old?" He stated that it was new. 10 minutes later in a talk in front of Mr. M, he stated the crimp was old and was the original crimp to my line and had not been replaced. The fact is these employees of GP continually had inconsistencies in statements.

6. Evidence would show other techs at my line location previously. The tech who came out on Saturday 16th, states a squirrel chewed through a heavy gauge silver neutral wire. He stated that he did not reattach the neutral wire. I had seen this wire come out and hang loose. The tech replaces about 10 inches of neutral. Does not show/leave evidence when requested too. Is it hard to take a photo of squirrel damage to show a customer. Evidently yes. What if the house burned and someone died? A police Investigation? If I have no evidence, I can't receive anything from a claim. How convenient. Photo #2 newcrimp. #3 wire left low on tree.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Georgia Power is the typical no choice utility. They don't need to provide good customer service because you are stuck with them. I have never been totally lied to and misled until dealing with Georgia Power. I can't give no stars but that's what they should get.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

GA power is owned by investors. When it gets hot out price goes up. When it gets cold out price goes up. The hotter it is the more it goes up and the same when it’s cold out. I had a elder man live with us and they told us that if we are a dollar short they will cut power off and they don’t care about the old man's health. They are rude to us customers. They know that there is nothing we can do so they can treat us anyway they want. They care about the investors not the customers. This got to stop and we the customers has to get together and do something. Oh all of GA government officials has their hands in GA Power's pockets. This company is a scam and should be taken to the supreme courts and a nice fine and imprisonment. They are legally stealing money from us. They are extortionist. “Pay what we tell you or suffer with no power." Screw everyone who supports GA Power. Y’all should be ashamed on how you treat people who pay you guys.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

Recently we purchase a house, we supposed to close November 2.2020. GA Power delays the whole process. Now our closing date will be “maybe” November 12, 2020. According to the builder of our house Ga power need to install meters, without electricity we cannot move forward. I understand that Ga power is supporting affected area for the recently hurricanes. What I cannot understand is they have employees to cover the needs in Georgia, all customers are important. this delay will cost us money Not expected in Hotel, storage, rental truck twice. I feel like a Ga power don’t appreciate their customers, it seems that they don’t feel any empathy for how they can affect your life.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

Georgia Power happens to be the worst electrical power service I’ve ever had to experience. I’ve never experience power outages for long periods of time. 3-5 hrs. They never offer anything to compensate you for the inconvenience. Being asthmatic & a owner of dogs it’s a huge inconvenience & when you call the representatives sound as if you're annoying them because you have been inconvenience with a broken service. I pray that we have more options of choosing who to use for our electrical needs because Georgia Power definitely sucks all across the board. Do better to be better!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

This is the worst company EVER!!!! Staff are rude over the phone they don't have a physical address so customer service representatives talk to you crazy. I see why they don't have a physical address???. They will turn your power off for .6 cents. You can only have 10 transactions within 30 days on prepaid accounts. I had to walk 2 miles on swollen ankles due to my disability to add money on my account. They charge $11 daily to use AC unit, the thermostat stay on 75 degrees. They are overcharging and I hate they are the only way to get service in the Powder Springs Georgia area.

I wish I could choose Cobb EMC. They are reasonable and they have a office location. Georgia Power is a joke and it makes me want to move just to disconnect my service with them. The rep told me she pays her bills on time when I tried to complain. It took 2 weeks before supervisor called me back, she was 75% worse than the agent, just a nasty attitude company who doesn't care for their customers. I hate Georgia Power!!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

My experience with Georgia Power is trash. They consumer service person are very rude and not helpful. They are a bad company overall. Would not recommend nobody to use them if you have a choice. They cut your lights off and even when you paid right away they say you have to wait. They can’t tell you when they gonna turn it back on and you got babies in home with no light even when you just pay them 10 minutes after they turn it off. They trash.

Georgia Power Company Information