2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

3.8/5 (150 ratings)

About Georgia Power

Georgia Power Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Georgia Power?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Georgia Power?

Original review: June 1, 2020

06/01/20 (14:00) While navigating numerous automated messages and selections, my call to customer service was disconnected 3 times. When I reached an agent and manager they were both unhelpful. They insisted that I had to pay a $30 "account ESTABLISHMENT charge" on each of my accounts in order to DISCONNECT service when I sold the property. This is apparently because I had a landlord agreement in place and called them to cancel service instead of notifying them in writing. I was NOT told this when I set up the landlord accounts or when I called to cancel my accounts. The new home owner paid a fee to ESTABLISH service. Manager Tammy (ext **) refused to explain those charges or credit/cancel the $60 in BS fees. She referred me to their online "customer agreement" for details. Ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019
Why I provided Georgia Power with a 1 star. It’s been seven whole days and not a word from Georgia Power as to when the power will be on. Since December 6th, I’ve been having issues with this prepaid service program. And deposit has been made, all the information has been sent in, documentation [unclear 0:00: 28] and so forth. But I was told, since I was associated with the house, that-- at first I could not get the service because I was associated with someone in the house. Now, my grandmother’s staying in the house. My great aunt owned the house. So, yes, I’ve been affiliated with this house since I was born. But I was told, since I’m affiliated with the house, I couldn’t get service here. I inherited this home. My grandmother has passed, my aunt has passed, my brother has passed. So, I’m taking over the house. And I also have a mentally disabled venteran brother who basically stays here as well. But we’re not able to get any type of service, we’re only getting the runaround. So, Georgia Power is basically taking my money from me and not providing the service. I have animals or dog, since everybody is so dog-friendly, you’re not really worried about humans, my dog is shivering cold due to the house being cold, not being able to have heat in the house because Georgia Power affiliates and staff are basically causing issues at this point. So, I rate them a 1 star because, again, my house is pitch black at this particular point in time. I am outside in the car.
Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I have had Residential service with GA Power since 1997, never have I had a disconnect or been charged a deposit. (Well not until I opened a business & added a commercial account also in my name, I was required to pay $550, billed on July 28 2019.) For My Residential account, I was set up on electronic billing to my bank around 2010. In 2013 I was changing banks and wanted to be taken off, as of Friday, Oct 11, 2019, I still haven't received a paper bill. I have called numerous times over the past Six years, to many to count, I have no idea where the bills go, and there is no place on their website to opt out of electronic billing.

In Fall of 2016 (or 1st part of 2017) I vividly remember standing in the parking lot at my job, pleading with them to send me a bill, as I had no idea how to budget this account, no idea when my bill was due or the amount I needed to pay, always relying on the Postcard that came each month warning me of past due amount & disconnect.

Here we are Three years later & I didn't receive the postcard to pay, so I log in & the disconnect warning advise me to pay past due amount of $339.31, so I rounded up paid $340. GA Power decided to charge me a $150 deposit (without notifying me) and applied a portion of my $340 payment to that unknown deposit. I don't know why they have charged me this deposit, or how they can apply my payment to something they have never advised me off. Now they want to disconnect my service, When I ask for a supervisor they say I have to wait 24-48 hours. Well they didn't call me, after being on hold for 58 min. I am told that someone will call in 24-48 hours & no guarantee of service.

I have no clue if they are ripping me off or not, I don't know what my bill consist of, but between my business & home, I pay close to $1000 per month w/$200 in fees. This is out of control, and I am outraged at the lack of options & how they can make whatever decisions they want to when they want. How can I pay a bill if you never send it. If it is clear that you aren't mailing it to me, then it should also be clear that I cannot possibly pay on time. I have made numerous notes on account, which reps always verify are there, that I can't pay what I don't know. No deposits have been added to my account EVER, and I've paid late every month for many years, so why suddenly add it & not advise me? I had no idea this was even a policy, & GA Power website doesn't have any information on charging deposits. This is actually stealing.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I have been with Georgia Power since 2000, I purchased my home in 2009, and took the service with me. I have recently sold my home to receive a insane bill if 650.00. This is unfair and makes no sense for anyone who has paid their bill monthly on time to ever end up with a power bill this high. This is a way to get over on hard working people. This economy is already bad and for big companies to take advantage of people is not right at all. I really wish it was other companies we can pick, but there is not. Flat rate should never be a option if you stuck in the end struggling to pay. It's not my fault it can't transfer over. This is some real Bull crap. Big companies always find a way to get over on you. Georgia Power is very wrong for this. And will no longer sit right with me. So starting here with my review I will spread the word on Georgia Power.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

They tack on whatever fees they want to charge. If they didn't have a monopoly given to them by the government they would not have a single customer! Here are the mandatory fees on my son's apartment in college...environmental compliance cost of 16$, nuclear construction cost recovery fee of $14 and municipal franchise fee of 6$. Total of 36 dollars in fees. That is ridiculous for a college student to pay. I have my electric company in Snellville and they do not have those fees.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Cold, unprofessional legal thugs strong-arming my family for a bill we never made! Out of all the humans that work there that my husband and myself have had the displeasure of communicating with, there was only ONE who empathized and tried to actually help with our Slumlord Problem at Whispering Trace (30188) regarding Priscilla ** community "manager" or as I recently found out- Applebee's waitress turned Property Manager overnight. Check her Facebook.

Priscilla lied often and stole our deposit money AND when Whispering Trace's AC unit broke it literally blew our Georgia Power bill up over $525 for that month. A Georgia Power Representative personally e-mailed me graphs, history of usage AND his own word that it was Whispering Trace's fault via their faulty/broken AC unit that caused us to incur such an astronomical bill all while we had moved out of ** during this billing cycle.

Priscilla ** disregarded our evidence and respectful claims. My husband went to her and tried to speak common sense to her, showing her the proof that it was their AC unit. She denies all responsibility and stuck me with a WRONGFUL BILL in my name. The One Amazing Georgia Power Representative who helped me as much as he could said he sees this sort of thing ALL THE TIME where a disgusting, unprofessional community/property manager refuses to do the right thing and abandons a tenant with a bill they never caused from their appliance.

Except for the one man who went and actually TRIED to help me- the rest of these cold, uncaring, thugs that make up this worthless company are terrible and they know our situation but they don't care! They turned over our former account to their "Internal Revenue Recovery" department. So now these strong-arming, legal thugs who know all of these details and REFUSE to show sympathy, lenience or compassion for our financial struggle regarding what Priscilla ** personally started- have inconvenienced my family to a point where I exhausted all avenues in trying to find any other electricity company that covers my area. Guess what? Georgia Power owns my address as their "territory" so I don't even have a choice to go with a better, cheaper company like Cobb EMC. I also looked up the other 2 or 3 choices and begged them to take me as a customer.

Guess what, again? The other companies don't own my 30188 area so I am literally FORCED to use this disgusting immoral company because they don't care about customers being violated and victimized by slumlords. Georgia Power doesn't care if they financially rape you after someone committed a crime by fraud- or in the very least an Ethics Violation. We the People need to band together and put massive pressure on our local and state representatives to free up Georgia to actually be a FREE MARKET and not some held-hostage state of third-world policies made by thugs! I promise this is all true and correct. Anyone who wants proof, can ask me for it and I will gladly furnish all evidence via e-mail. In fact so true, I will be taking Whispering Trace LLC and their community "manager" Priscilla to court. I will demand justice and labor for it to the best of my abilities.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I submitted for service on a Friday afternoon and received an email that stated that I will receive my account info and additional information within 8-24 hours. Saturday at exactly 2:43 pm, I received an email from Online Customer Care informing that I need to pay a deposit and there was link that led me to payment options. Mind you, I have no way of making this deposit because I wasn't given a 10 digit account number to create an online account or call the payment in for that matter. So I responded to the email and asked how to make this payment because the phone system and the website needs an account number.

Here I am, at 6:21 pm without a response still because I'm sure they all have gone home. I'm relocating from SC to GA to start work on Monday and the GA Power account number is a requirement before I receive my keys from the leasing office. Now, it looks like it will be Monday before I can move in and get any help which is a huge inconvenience because in the middle of trying to get this taken care of, I'll be in training for my first day of work.

Original review: June 27, 2019

These people never help the customer. Their website is misleading on payment dates and they tack on whatever fees they want. If they didnt have a monopoly given to them by the government they would not have a single customer!

Original review: June 10, 2019

The CEO, or whomever in the upper echelon needs to go. Period. What-ever goes on in the dark will surely come to light. And ** runs downhill. These people are liars and ripoff artist at best. My bill was paid via their {GP}portal. Apparently, I hit a (7) in on the keyboard instead of a (6) when entering my account number and routing... So the banking was verified via the account # but not the routing. Okay, I was hit with a uncollectable fee...why couldn't they just call or email [?] as this was an obvious error???

Okay, this triggered a {turn off notice}. So I repaid the bill via my bank account. My banking official confirmed that the payment was sent. It was deducted from my account. GP official/customer service claims that they haven't received it so they issue another turnoff notice along with the next bill which is due at the end of June. I question if they could conference a call to my bank; of course NOT. I question if I paid it again via their portal, would I receive a refund for the amount sent via my bank account. I was informed that the payment sent would be credited to future bills.

I now see the scam, with a turnoff notice they know the consumer would pay forthwith. I honestly believe they have my payment. My bank advised me to dispute the matter. Once I pay again, GP will release that payment which will actually give me a credit. But I don't want the credit. I just want to do what's right. SOMEONE NEEDS TO SHAKE THE GP TREE AND SHAKE IT NOW. THIS AGENCY NEEDS A CLEAN SWEEP.

Original review: April 12, 2019

3 Days Still No Power. I'm so disappointed and frustrated I could cry. I paid my deposit to start new service for a home I just moved into 3 days ago. Over the past 3 days I have been told 4 different stories out of 6 calls and here it is 12:06am and I still have not received service. This is the first time I've seen anything like it.

Georgia Power Company Information