First Energy

Compare Pennsylvania Electricity Companies

Research top Pennsylvania Electricity Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We have experienced very few outages or interruptions in service and when we have, they have been very brief. We never have brownouts or flickers. Our power is something we don't think about. We take it completely for granted which says a lot about First Energy. We are billed monthly and I am enrolled in auto pay which allows me to automatically have my bill charged to my credit card which I love because I enjoy earning the rewards on my card. We have never had a problem with billing that I can recall. We have very little occasion to contact customer service which says a lot about the company in general, however, whenever we have a need to contact them, they have been professional and helpful. The price of everything we need as consumers continues to rise so I'm never particularly happy about the cost of anything. However, I'm sure that the price we pay for power is competitive and fair by comparison.

The reliability was always spot on. The few times I lost power, it was back on very quickly. And even better, the only times that happened were during some pretty severe storms! It made my kids and I feel very safe and secure. I never had any issues with billing. One of the few utility companies I can say that about. They also worked a budget plan for me that made paying my bills throughout the seasons much easier. This was my only complaint with First Energy. The few times I called with any questions or concerns, the representatives seemed to be curt and on one occasion downright rude. Now it has been a while and I am sure that I was unlucky. As wonderful as First Energy was in every other aspect, I am sure their customer service has improved. The all in all value was excellent. The prices were competitive and the service was great. Sadly very few utility companies have such dependable service.

Living in the Reading area, I never had any issues with getting supplied electricity. Never even had a blackout. Rates were always fair. Far cheaper than competitors in Berks and Montgomery counties. I moved since then, but I wish they covered the area I live in now. Never had any issues with the services. I always paid my bill on time. Even if there were any issues, they would handle it professionally and respectfully. Best value you can get compared to everyone else. Was glad to have them for a electricity supplier. Hope to do business with them again in the future.

The reliability is unbelievable. The customer service is excellent, if there is a power outage they try their hardest to have it back on in hour tops. Never once have I had to call in about being overcharged for service. My bill is always accurate. I am very pleased with the service I receive as a consumer. The customer service is great. I never have to call more than once for the same issue. The representatives are very knowledgeable of the things they speak, and are really out to help the customers. Value can mean many things, how much a customer is really getting that is worth their value, or how much a company values their business. Well either way the value I have for this company is mutual and that's worth my value.

It was very reliable. I had no problems with them. I had them as a supplier and Duquesne light was my distributor. The price was very reasonable, much lower than other suppliers. The bill description was very clear and easy to understand. I never had a problem with it. I would still have them today if they still were a supplier. I never had a need to use customer service but if I had I sure I would have been happy with it. The only time I talked to a rep was when I signed up. When I signed up they had the best price for a supplier that was available. I would still be with them if they hadn't quit being a supplier.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Energy?

They are really good. I never had any issues. Even during power outages, they are pretty quick to get things back up and running. They are also always available if you need them to come out and check something. I never saw anything on my bill that shouldn't have been there. They do not overcharge. I'd say they are always accurate with your bill. Anytime that I had to call them, they were always there to answer my needs. Whichever that may be. They also are very friendly. I'd recommend them. The service is great. And for a reasonable price too. It's very valuable. Especially when they do things like cutting around the line and your trees for free.

Never had a single issue, unlike with PPL. Even repair jobs were done in a timely and efficient manner. I never had a problem at all when I was with First Energy. I found First Energy to be one of the most affordable options around. The bill was always spot on and accurate. I wish PPL were more like this! I only ever had to call them once to report an outage and they had it completely taken care of within just a few hours. Excellent customer service. First Energy is an extremely reliable company. They exercise great care in dealing with their customers and seem to really value each and every one.

I have only lost power for an extended period of time once in the eight years of using First Energy. The extended period was still less than two hours, which I was very happy about. I really don't know if I am being billed accurately. I don't understand it fully but I feel like First Energy is a trustworthy company. Customer service has been great to work with on billing. I lost my job and fell behind on my bill, First Energy customer service went over all options available to me. In the end, they helped me navigate through and I am finally caught up. I really don't know how you assign a value to a utility company. I do rely on its services to keep my family safe and healthy. So far they have been reliable and helpful.

Aside from some hiccups in getting my address and billing setup, they were helpful and quick to get me up and running in my new apartment. Rates were fair, tended to be higher based on other people that lived in the place before and other tenants. Very helpful in figuring out which address that I had was the proper one and got my billing set up within a half hour of the initial call. The estimated bills tended to be higher than the actual reading month bills were.

Problems w/ outages are rare; but the meter readings are spotty and infrequent and often they estimate bills. If there are outages, they are repaired expediently except in the result of a natural disaster. Frequent estimated bills and often 2 bills per month. Then they give you a huge bill and expect you to pay it all at once after estimating it for two or three months. Online or on the phone they are basically scripted and keep saying the same thing no matter what you bring up and don't try to work w/ you. It is very stressful that they try to make you pay security deposits after you have been a good customer for years and are making payments.

It's good but nothing is perfect. There are outages from time to time. They are almost always taken care of within a few hours. I can only remember once when it took almost 2 days to get power back but that was because a tree fell across the lines and hit a car. It ended up taking out 4 poles. I have never had a problem with anything in my bill being inaccurate or wrong. I think they do a good enough job but no one is perfect so that is why I chose the score I did. They are the best value available. I've looked in to other options and cannot find anything better.

Whenever I have something wrong they always work hard to fix it. Their service is generally careful and quick. Thanks a lot for your help. Definitely satisfied. Bill are average and always on point! I never have problems paying my bills because they are somehow always low! Great job! Customer service goes beyond. I love how every time I contact them they always succeed in fulfilling my needs no matter how tricky or sticky the situation is! Value would be overall great. I love this company and will continue to use it in the future. It really makes me happy knowing I have these guys on my side!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy Corporation has a vast electric system comprised of 10 utility companies. They service areas in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, New Jersey, Maryland and New York.

• Cleaner energy: FirstEnergy is dedicated to providing clean energy to their customers. More than one-third of the energy generated by FirstEnergy companies came from carbon-free sources.
  • Waste minimization and management program: FirstEnergy positively impacts the communities they serve with their recycling and waste minimization programs. This includes the responsible disposal of byproducts, recycling initiatives and an initiative that reduces or eliminates waste at the source for long-term benefits.
  • Renewable energy: Eleven percent of the resources used to power FirstEnergy’s electricity comes from renewable sources, such as wind, solar and fuel cells.
  • Options for businesses: Businesses in FirstEnergy’s service area can choose from a variety of options, depending on their needs and budget. These include fixed pricing, variable pricing, combination pricing and green energy. Apply for a quote online, or call FirstEnergy directly to find out which option will work best for your business.
  • Best for FirstEnergy is best for residents and businesses located in one of their service areas who are interested in clean energy.

Compare Pennsylvania Electricity Companies