3.8/5 (48 ratings)

About First Energy

First Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Energy?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

Updated on 09/14/2021: I thought the reps (Alice, ID **) was able to revert the charge to another credit card. Just called my credit company to confirm, my credit card company has not yet seen a credit from JCPL. Alice told me it will be done in a few days on 9/1/2021 and follow-up with me after her resolution. Two weeks passed and no credit, no follow-up. JCPL thought people forgot anything fast! Just try to play games with its customer.

Updated on 09/10/2021: A follow-up, after a rep (Alice ID **) called back (9/1) and got the details, she was able to credit the charge, then charge to my other credit card. It should be a simple procedure, but seems JCPL makes is very complicated. Move up to 2 stars.

Original Review: Received a letter from JCPL to re-bill all previous year's bills, dated 8/25/2021, received 8/28, asking extra $443.99. Call the same day but no reps. The letter encouraged us to make payment arrangement. However, our credit card was already charged this morning. Started to call around 2:00 pm, waited for over an hour to reach a person, but the reps hang up when we tried to confirm the account number.

Called again, waited over an hour again, asked supervisor. Ken, ID **, self-claimed supervisor, but obviously not. Tried to ask an explanation why JCPL sent us a letter on Saturday then charged us on Monday immediately. Ken just kept talking that's how JCPL charges for customers who signed up for automatic payment. When asked for supervisor, Ken refused to transfer and shouted to us "dummy." This is the worst customer service anyone could possibly imagine. Now we are calling again, over an hour and no person answer so far. still babysit the phone.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Back in Feb 2014 I had to move from my PA home to SC we called all the utilities to shut them off! Penelec aka First Energy didn't turn the power off for 7 months then put a $400 mark on my credit report! When we moved there was a major snowstorm that hit the entire east coast! We tried to work with them to lay what we should have owed (a week not 7 months). They refused. Basically said they don't make mistakes? 7 months without a payment? How do they let that happen? We were forced to pay the collection agency because we are buying a house! This was unfair and should never happen to anyone!!!

Get buying tips about Pennsylvania Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

Let me start off by saying, they literally try to steal from you. I have been charged twice for bills I already paid. It's happened so many times. I think they hope people won't catch it. Then when I call to tell them what they did wrong, they try to confuse you with all kinds of crap and almost sounds like they are reading a script over and over. Unfortunate for the people who work here because you all are basically snakes and sound stupid trying to justify your double charging a.k.a theft.. Sorry, I keep proof of all transactions. Nice try.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I called JCP&L (First Energy) to because I am moving to another apartment in my same complex. After going through 90 prompts just to get to a representative, I found out they changed my address and shut down my account almost 2 months ago. I have no idea how this happened as I have been in the same location for a year and a half.

After speaking to FOUR different representatives, having to tell them how to do their jobs (look at my previous bill statements, you will see the correct address I've always paid for), they finally fixed the problem. However, the third woman I spoke to was one of the rudest people I've ever dealt with and should NOT be in customer service. After telling me it was basically my fault they allowed someone to turn off my account and change my address, she wanted me to go read the meter. I explained to her MULTIPLE times that it was a large apartment complex and I had NO CLUE where the meter was. She would not let me speak to a manager after asking her repeatedly. It was to the point where I asked to please let me speak to ANYONE BUT HER.

Finally she put me on the phone to someone else and they fixed the address for me and turned my account back on, easily. Then in the middle of trying to get my services started for my new apartment, we got disconnected. NEVER GOT A CALL BACK. They had my account pulled up so they could have easily looked for my number. There was no way of me getting back to this same person as I had to go through a million different ways of getting to them. I HIGHLY recommend they step up their customer service. WE ARE THE ONES PAYING YOU NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

So my air conditioner was not working correctly this summer and ran around the clock trying to keep up upstairs. My bills for June thru Aug averaged $550 but on a regular basis are $140. During these months, I submitted 2 payments each month. In no way did I get a shut off notice as it was paid before the next bill. I check my bill online and it said they are tacking on a security deposit of $445. I immediately call and said I have lived here for 31 years and have never had a notice like this. Their response was basically, "Too bad. That's the way it stands and unfortunately it doesn't matter that you lived there for 31 years. We are NOT taking it off" even after I explained I can't afford it. He said, "Good luck to you!" So I had to put it on one of my credit cards. RUDE RUDE RUDE and there is nothing you can do!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Obviously they are not going to be happy, but the guy who spoke to me was so rude. I couldn’t believe how he spoke to me! I could not speak as he spoke over me all the time, so I simply said, "Look I’m a customer, it is up to me what I do, Just make sure you understand". I want to to close my account with 1st Energy, and I then slammed the phone down before he could be so rude again???? Unbelievable! This was on the 14th November at around 5.30 - 6.30 so you know who this person was.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

We live in NJ and went to a summer home we have in FLA for 7 weeks between July and August. We turned off all lights and set air to 80. When we returned home I noticed an electrician replacing the meter. He told me the meter had stopped and was replacing it. Few weeks later I received my electric bill and was billed an estimate from last year's bill. I told them that we were away for 7 weeks but they really don't care and said I am responsible for the estimate bill since the meter stopped working. I feel I am powerless in that if I don't pay the bill. They will shut the power. I have no recourse but to pay the estimated bill. This is JCP&L and Toledo power. If anyone had a similar experience and could tell me if I have any recourse against them, it would help. It's ridiculous. If the power goes out because of weather then all they do is say sorry, but if I owe $$ and don't pay, they shut the power.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

3 work orders - You cancelled the first one for no reason, 2nd one you entered under commercial so we have been assigned our 3rd work order. 7 calls and 3 weeks later we get a field person's name & number. Unfortunately he has been out of work, as with every power company we have encountered over 40 plus years. The field people are great but they are not the ones who oversee the process. After weeks of getting nowhere I wanted to speak with a supervisor but was told I could not!!! However they would have to escalate this via e-mail for me. I'm still waiting on the escalation process to kick in.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Bought a house recently. Before buying the seller PNC bank turned on the power for me for a week to do all inspections etc and everything was fine. I have an inspection report too. Now after buying house when I asked MetEd to turn on electric, they are saying electric has not run for more than a year so inspection is required. Spoke to their supervisor Jane operator ID ** and explained that electricity was on just a month ago and I was also informed it was on in January.

The proof is that they has installed digital meter number ** in the house in June 2018 and the meter has run 1297 points in the last year which means it has been turned on but they are now denying it and saying I need to get a safety inspection which is going to cost me hundreds of dollars. I've been told by people that this is a scam and unethical. I decided to invest in PA but already regret it. Its companies like these who scam people and make it painful for people to invest in PA and hamper the economic growth there.

Original review: July 23, 2019

There is something foul going on. First Energy's online payment system showed me that my payments went through in May and June. For 50 yrs, we have faithfully paid the electric bill. Suddenly this past Friday, we got a 3 Day Shut-off Notice. We were completely taken aback. We had no idea what was going on. Went online to access the account. Suddenly none of the statements were available to be viewed!!! The online account information to see what was wrong was not viewable. All weekend long, no customer service was available to take payment, and automated phone and online rejected payment referring us to a representative. They demand payment, then take away the means to provide payment. Finally, spoke to a rep. who was a total hole. She was snarky and condescending as if we were some dirtbags who don't pay our bills.

I was trying to report to that if you look at our payment hx, clearly something went wrong and that it was the online payment system. She gave me an enormous amount to pay and when I asked what the amount was for exactly, an itemized breakdown, she refused to be specific. I could not view it in my account. This is some kind of sneaky scam going on. Seeing people are getting slammed with enormous late fees that could easily be induced by the electric co. payment system. I was forced into paying $420.00. I called back to another billing dept. to verify payment and complain about rep. Supervisor came on the line, kept saying hello like she couldn't hear me, then simply hung up. Where is the Utilities Commission with all of these complaints in here and elsewhere????

First Energy author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy Corporation has a vast electric system comprised of 10 utility companies. They service areas in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, New Jersey, Maryland and New York.

• Cleaner energy: FirstEnergy is dedicated to providing clean energy to their customers. More than one-third of the energy generated by FirstEnergy companies came from carbon-free sources.

• Waste minimization and management program: FirstEnergy positively impacts the communities they serve with their recycling and waste minimization programs. This includes the responsible disposal of byproducts, recycling initiatives and an initiative that reduces or eliminates waste at the source for long-term benefits.

• Renewable energy: Eleven percent of the resources used to power FirstEnergy’s electricity comes from renewable sources, such as wind, solar and fuel cells.

• Options for businesses: Businesses in FirstEnergy’s service area can choose from a variety of options, depending on their needs and budget. These include fixed pricing, variable pricing, combination pricing and green energy. Apply for a quote online, or call FirstEnergy directly to find out which option will work best for your business.

First Energy Company Information