3.8/5 (127 ratings)

About First Energy

First Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Energy?

Original review: July 23, 2019

There is something foul going on. First Energy's online payment system showed me that my payments went through in May and June. For 50 yrs, we have faithfully paid the electric bill. Suddenly this past Friday, we got a 3 Day Shut-off Notice. We were completely taken aback. We had no idea what was going on. Went online to access the account. Suddenly none of the statements were available to be viewed!!! The online account information to see what was wrong was not viewable. All weekend long, no customer service was available to take payment, and automated phone and online rejected payment referring us to a representative. They demand payment, then take away the means to provide payment. Finally, spoke to a rep. who was a total hole. She was snarky and condescending as if we were some dirtbags who don't pay our bills.

I was trying to report to that if you look at our payment hx, clearly something went wrong and that it was the online payment system. She gave me an enormous amount to pay and when I asked what the amount was for exactly, an itemized breakdown, she refused to be specific. I could not view it in my account. This is some kind of sneaky scam going on. Seeing people are getting slammed with enormous late fees that could easily be induced by the electric co. payment system. I was forced into paying $420.00. I called back to another billing dept. to verify payment and complain about rep. Supervisor came on the line, kept saying hello like she couldn't hear me, then simply hung up. Where is the Utilities Commission with all of these complaints in here and elsewhere????

Original review: July 16, 2019

The customer service department is suppose to be there to assist the customer, not do what the rep's do at this location and over talk the customer and be disrespectful. Just because you don't like your job is not my problem. Get a new one if that's the case. They over talk you and think they can talk to customers any type of way because they are on the phone. This place needs to apparently be retrained. They cut off my electric claiming someone called in and took service out my name without my consent and then stated it was my issue not their's and then refused to tell me who switched my service until I asked for a manager. What type of establishment is this. They must do better as a company.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I always pay my bill online. Went to pay my bill then noticed my bill went from 100$ up to $600. Of course I was pissed. Called in. First person I spoke to told me the extra $300 charge was a service fee from being late on payment. Reminder I'm always a week late as I don't get a check till the second week. They refused to change my due date. I've never been charged $300 for being late. My service never got turned off and is always paid before shut off date. I've always paid the $3 late fee but now I'm getting hit with a $300 fee. Come on. I never got a letter about this fee or I would of called in right away.

Spoke to the manger. She refused to change due date and refused to take charge off the account. Now all of this has to be paid again on a Weds knowing my checks don't clear to Friday. Horrible customer service. Nothing but rude and unwilling to work with you even though they always get paid. Been using them for 5 years and never ever had a charge like this.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I was first told that First Energy is a third party to NJCPL. After researching on First Energy website it is the parent company of NJCPL? You see First Energy filed chapter 11 and I feel some NCPL customers are helping them make up the lost money. After 17 years of paying the bill the same way around the same time. We open our May bill to find we now are required to pay a $500 deposit on top of our reg bill. I can see if we were a new customer... but 17 years. They claim they sent a letter back in Feb but we never received it. They told me I should complain to the USPS. Yes we get a lot of other people mail and I can only assume they get ours but neither here nor there. Why should I just put it back in the mailbox. Why complain.. So now I definitely won't get my mail? Are they making me pay a deposit?

They should have been clear and either stated it on my bill or a letter with my bill or sent certified letter or oops a phone call. Many different ways this could have easily been avoided. When we received the bill we called and tried to pay bill in full and have it removed but they refused. We were told that once it is on the bill they can not remove it. So now we are forced to pay it. It is not anything that they did wrong as they are in compliance with the laws.. Other than let the consumer know about it.

I'm livid. I will keep going as I feel I am strong armed into paying this deposit. I know after a year I will get it back. I completely understand why they are doing it and I don't disagree. It is the point that if we had a heads up it could have been avoided. That is my point! Then when I see First Energy files chapter 11 bankruptcy 2 months before my charge of a deposit.. I see the light and when I ask about it. NO. No they are a third party. Amazingly when you look at the website: OUR Electric Companies, Ohio Edison, Illuminating Company, Toledo Edison, Met-Ed, Penelec, Penn Power, West Penn Power, JCP&L, Mon Power, Potomac Edison. I am discouraged and feel a big corporation is knowingly, willing, taking advantage of their customers. I don't think I am being unreasonable about it just common courtesy of a heads up and making sure the customer is aware other than a phantom separate letter.

Original review: May 13, 2019

West Penn Power is horrible. My granddaughter had her electric shut off on a Thursday. Paid bill Friday morning and was told electric would be put back on Friday before six never happened. She has an autistic son who doesn't like changes. They left a mom of three kids all weekend with no electricity knowing everything in their home was electric. This is a shame. If it was their family it wouldnt have happen. Their all sick now with colds. Would love to get news station to bring this out or an attorney. I'm just so livid I can't even believe anyone could be this cruel but I'm going to follow through to help that other people don't have to go through this.

Original review: March 13, 2019

SO last year we went with Tesla solar and LOVE our panels. It took our $160-$250 electric bill down to $10 mandatory customer charge. Seriously!? But anyway - then Met-Ed started to do Estimated Bills. Conveniently the first two bills after we went solar were estimated and really high! Then we had an actual $10, a small estimated than $10, then February came and they hit us with $166. My wife didn't pay because we figured - hey they are basing on last year - it will even out on March. March bill came and it's $178. Huh? We have a 1262 KWH banked credit but we owe the $166 estimated bill and now $11 because they added $2.50 late fee.

I called Met-Ed and spoke to a very hostile customer service rep who threatened disconnection within her first two sentences. This was after being transferred twice because the reps didn't know what to do with solar customers. I asked for her supervisor because the first rep kept saying we used 1800 KWH and needed to pay for them. I kept asking what about the 1262 banked KWH credit. Anyway - I got nowhere. My wife sent an email which we got a response in 2 days but it was a blank apology and explanation of variation of weather and explaining metered KWH and KWH out but nothing about the banked credit or why they didn't use any credit on the last bill.

I contacted our Tesla rep who tried to understand our usage bill and threw his hands up. "He said Met-Ed is terrible to deal with." Honestly, Med-Ed is terrible when we connected and it keeps going. I've given them $166 and they will not use banked credit for the customer fee - we are heading into summer so most likely our solar will be enough and every month we will be paying $9/$10 and never touch the $166. Also they installed a smart meter without telling us. Their response was the other meter "was running slow". Huh? Pissed off solar customer in York.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

It was such a complicated and difficult process to get signed up for energy. The customer service was no help despite being the only provider in the area. Once I was finally set up, they wanted me to pay equivalent to a half year's supply of electric in the form of a security deposit. I've always had excellent credit and have always paid my past bills and rent on time. I've never been treated this bad by a company.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I don't feel First Energy. They certainly know how or like to dish it out but rarely take it well as they act like bullies (no need to explain that as everyone knows what a bully is in that they pick on the smaller kids until they get they BUTTs kicked. I discovered a problem with my power supply & First Energy in early October they gave me no warning that it existed. In fact they "checked the lines" and without reason shifted blame by saying they found nothing wrong.

I had to insist on further line testing in November that they finished in Late November which I did not receive a copy of but they appear to be demanding I immediately fix the problem though I am forced to find a licensed electrician in what is a lengthy process that it appears they might shut me down right before Christmas though the licensed electrician I found stated he found no immediate problem in what existed over two months. Where I applied for assistance in these matters as a disabled senior and offered to pay if need be also but am left in a hopeless situation of FIRST ENERGY NONSENSE. So I decided to not give two stars and made it one as I am sickened by their callous nature that often seems insulated from the public by the PUC in that the PUC seems to coddle them.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

They figure my bill from a past dead tenant's usage who used a lot of electric before I got the apartment. So wrong! They should truly start from zero when a new tenant moves in. Plus I live in a senior/Disabled apartment complex. Poorly insulated and everything is electric. I have all energy efficient light bulbs. I unplug everything and my bill goes up. When I call they say I'm not using enough electric. How crazy! I am way below poverty rate. I got the PCAP program and they have not helped at all like they claimed they would.

They are liars! I am disabled. Senior/Disabled living complexes should have a lower rate for their electric. My sibling's whole house is cheaper with electric than the dinky crappy apartments here. Greedy crooked corporate bloodsuckers Penelec is. But everybody/Government gives the illegals our Social Security and free everything... very wrong! It needs to stop now, time to help our own. All of it is sinful and asinine!

Original review: July 2, 2018

This company is forcing us to get a smart meter and when I voiced health concerns they told me to file a formal complaint with PA Public Utilities Commission (PUC), but that they may cut off our power in the meanwhile, even though our bill is always paid. They said they can cut off our power just because we don't want a smart meter. They made me give acceptance of the meter by saying they may cut off our power if I didn't accept. The conflict resolution manager even said PUC has sided with them in every case she's seen.

It is a verifiable fact this company lobbied the politician who passed this smart meter law with a campaign contribution, so the public has no choice to opt out in Pennsylvania. The employees leave you on hold for ages, give you the runaround, and behave like robots who cannot help you in a human, intelligent way. I felt manipulated and bullied by this company's tactics to strong-arm its customers into going along with its agenda despite health concerns. I doubt this threat to cut off service is even legal.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I allowed them to renew 2-year contract. Over the past 12-months, I have been charged $224.79 MORE than I would have been charged with DP&L. Now, they want to charge me even MORE to get out of a contract where I am overpaying because they overpriced the set rate! BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

Having had recent cataract surgery, I mistakenly overpaid them by online bank payment by over $2,495, which is an enormous amount of money to me. I called my bank on 12/23 to stop payment, but they said it was too late. I called West Penn but they were closed. I called West Penn again the day after Christmas, but they were closed. I called West Penn again on Dec. 27 and they said to call back because they hadn't received the payment yet (which was not what my bank told me by several days). I called back on 12/28 and was transferred around, each time re-giving my security information and re-explaining the situation.

They said my only option was to receive the money "on a card", but didn't explain what this entailed, and they were also unable to tell me how long this would take, other than "probably 3 days". I was later told by another West Penn operator that receiving it in a check sent directly from them WAS an option. I hadn't received any "card" by January 6th and was getting alarmed - they told me all my information was given to CITIBANK and it would come through them! I called CitiBank the same day and found that someone with a thick accent who I had to repeat all information to several times had my information for this enormous amount of money (I have since had a charge put on my own bank's DEBIT CARD from Doha Qatar - the Middle East - for Vodafone, a cell phone company in Germany).

She said I couldn't report the "card" missing until January 13th. This card arrived on January 8th, and required a great deal of perusal to figure out what was actually required to USE it. It CANNOT be used in an ATM and can only be used in specific ways. It required 1.) Activation via a phone automated system, 2.) REGISTRATION if you want to transfer it to your checking account - which was an ambiguous process requiring calling 4 different numbers for Citibank 3.) A process to transfer the money to my checking account that required entering my bank information. This is not customer service - it is customers serving West Penn Power.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

We have experienced very few outages or interruptions in service and when we have, they have been very brief. We never have brownouts or flickers. Our power is something we don't think about. We take it completely for granted which says a lot about First Energy. We are billed monthly and I am enrolled in auto pay which allows me to automatically have my bill charged to my credit card which I love because I enjoy earning the rewards on my card. We have never had a problem with billing that I can recall. We have very little occasion to contact customer service which says a lot about the company in general, however, whenever we have a need to contact them, they have been professional and helpful. The price of everything we need as consumers continues to rise so I'm never particularly happy about the cost of anything. However, I'm sure that the price we pay for power is competitive and fair by comparison.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

The reliability was always spot on. The few times I lost power, it was back on very quickly. And even better, the only times that happened were during some pretty severe storms! It made my kids and I feel very safe and secure. I never had any issues with billing. One of the few utility companies I can say that about. They also worked a budget plan for me that made paying my bills throughout the seasons much easier. This was my only complaint with First Energy. The few times I called with any questions or concerns, the representatives seemed to be curt and on one occasion downright rude. Now it has been a while and I am sure that I was unlucky. As wonderful as First Energy was in every other aspect, I am sure their customer service has improved. The all in all value was excellent. The prices were competitive and the service was great. Sadly very few utility companies have such dependable service.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

Living in the Reading area, I never had any issues with getting supplied electricity. Never even had a blackout. Rates were always fair. Far cheaper than competitors in Berks and Montgomery counties. I moved since then, but I wish they covered the area I live in now. Never had any issues with the services. I always paid my bill on time. Even if there were any issues, they would handle it professionally and respectfully. Best value you can get compared to everyone else. Was glad to have them for a electricity supplier. Hope to do business with them again in the future.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

The reliability is unbelievable. The customer service is excellent, if there is a power outage they try their hardest to have it back on in hour tops. Never once have I had to call in about being overcharged for service. My bill is always accurate. I am very pleased with the service I receive as a consumer. The customer service is great. I never have to call more than once for the same issue. The representatives are very knowledgeable of the things they speak, and are really out to help the customers. Value can mean many things, how much a customer is really getting that is worth their value, or how much a company values their business. Well either way the value I have for this company is mutual and that's worth my value.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

It was very reliable. I had no problems with them. I had them as a supplier and Duquesne light was my distributor. The price was very reasonable, much lower than other suppliers. The bill description was very clear and easy to understand. I never had a problem with it. I would still have them today if they still were a supplier. I never had a need to use customer service but if I had I sure I would have been happy with it. The only time I talked to a rep was when I signed up. When I signed up they had the best price for a supplier that was available. I would still be with them if they hadn't quit being a supplier.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

They are really good. I never had any issues. Even during power outages, they are pretty quick to get things back up and running. They are also always available if you need them to come out and check something. I never saw anything on my bill that shouldn't have been there. They do not overcharge. I'd say they are always accurate with your bill. Anytime that I had to call them, they were always there to answer my needs. Whichever that may be. They also are very friendly. I'd recommend them. The service is great. And for a reasonable price too. It's very valuable. Especially when they do things like cutting around the line and your trees for free.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

Never had a single issue, unlike with PPL. Even repair jobs were done in a timely and efficient manner. I never had a problem at all when I was with First Energy. I found First Energy to be one of the most affordable options around. The bill was always spot on and accurate. I wish PPL were more like this! I only ever had to call them once to report an outage and they had it completely taken care of within just a few hours. Excellent customer service. First Energy is an extremely reliable company. They exercise great care in dealing with their customers and seem to really value each and every one.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

I have only lost power for an extended period of time once in the eight years of using First Energy. The extended period was still less than two hours, which I was very happy about. I really don't know if I am being billed accurately. I don't understand it fully but I feel like First Energy is a trustworthy company. Customer service has been great to work with on billing. I lost my job and fell behind on my bill, First Energy customer service went over all options available to me. In the end, they helped me navigate through and I am finally caught up. I really don't know how you assign a value to a utility company. I do rely on its services to keep my family safe and healthy. So far they have been reliable and helpful.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

Aside from some hiccups in getting my address and billing setup, they were helpful and quick to get me up and running in my new apartment. Rates were fair, tended to be higher based on other people that lived in the place before and other tenants. Very helpful in figuring out which address that I had was the proper one and got my billing set up within a half hour of the initial call. The estimated bills tended to be higher than the actual reading month bills were.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

Problems w/ outages are rare; but the meter readings are spotty and infrequent and often they estimate bills. If there are outages, they are repaired expediently except in the result of a natural disaster. Frequent estimated bills and often 2 bills per month. Then they give you a huge bill and expect you to pay it all at once after estimating it for two or three months. Online or on the phone they are basically scripted and keep saying the same thing no matter what you bring up and don't try to work w/ you. It is very stressful that they try to make you pay security deposits after you have been a good customer for years and are making payments.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

It's good but nothing is perfect. There are outages from time to time. They are almost always taken care of within a few hours. I can only remember once when it took almost 2 days to get power back but that was because a tree fell across the lines and hit a car. It ended up taking out 4 poles. I have never had a problem with anything in my bill being inaccurate or wrong. I think they do a good enough job but no one is perfect so that is why I chose the score I did. They are the best value available. I've looked in to other options and cannot find anything better.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

Whenever I have something wrong they always work hard to fix it. Their service is generally careful and quick. Thanks a lot for your help. Definitely satisfied. Bill are average and always on point! I never have problems paying my bills because they are somehow always low! Great job! Customer service goes beyond. I love how every time I contact them they always succeed in fulfilling my needs no matter how tricky or sticky the situation is! Value would be overall great. I love this company and will continue to use it in the future. It really makes me happy knowing I have these guys on my side!!

First Energy Company Information