TruSmart Energy

Compare Texas Electricity Companies

Research top Texas Electricity Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had service with TruSmart Energy for about 3 1/2 years, first through pre-pay then enrolled into free nights and weekends 12 month. I was very satisfied with the plan which had no hidden fees, no company added base charge, and was at a set price of .086 6am to 8pm weekdays and .043 8pm to 6am weekdays and 8pm Friday until 6am Monday. The separate billing charges were clearly marked on the bill, the bills came on time, we received weekly energy reports through email and cell phone messages.

The only problem I ever had was that if their system went down it was down because the bulk of their business and billing was ran by computer. My contract was renewed in January 2016 with the same terms except the price went up a few cents, .049 and .098 respectively with the same free nights and weekends and no base charge. There also were minimal usage etc. Then, when February's bill came suddenly the website no longer worked, nor did their phone system. I still received weekly reports but could not access my account. Then Verde Energy calls and says they bought accounts and overcharges on everything.

A couple of years ago DPI changed my electric from my electric company to DPI. I did not give them permission at all. My bill wad paid up to date with my electric company. I did bring charges against them and it was investigated after I faxed my electric bill and received a favorable judgement by PUC. I called DPI and requested my electric be switched back and they turned off my electric on a Friday afternoon in 40 degree rainy weather, after saying it would be switched to my company, heartless to say the least. DO NOT TRUST COMPANY. They sent me a bill for hundreds of dollars. I believe they were fined by PUC. I do have the PUC# as proof.

The company's "16mo Free-Sundays" plan is truly a clever, misleading rip-off for most consumers. I recommend you stay away. My actual average OVERCHARGED electric rate OF $0.931 is more than 5% greater than the $0.088 rate shown on the EFL (1000kWh+). Their emailed excuses describe surprising billing terms & conditions that ARE NOT DISCLOSED on any documents provided by the company during or after sign-up. After many excuses emailed by them, it was finally revealed that for the consumer to achieve the expected/quoted $0.088/kWh contract rate, the consumer is required to "shift their usage to Sundays" and "use over 15.8% of their kWh's/mo. on Sundays".

If your daily electric usage is essentially uniform throughout each day of a month, the troubling part of their plan is in the math, which demonstrates the 15.8% threshold would RARELY, if ever be achievable by a consumer. To achieve 15.8%+ Sunday usage, the billing period needs to INCLUDE FIVE SUNDAYS and be 31 days or less!!! That is never possible in any 31 day or less billing period, UNLESS the billing period starts or ends on a weekend day. Remember, THEY control the billing periods and their billing periods never start or end on a weekend day.

In case you were unaware, TruSmart Energy is the result a business-merger or take-over from DPI, Inc. That name change from DPI to TruSmart was the result of a settlement with the Texas PUC Regulatory Authorities who were seeking "administrative penalties" and to "revoke" the license of DPI ENERGY LLC due to "consumer protection" and other compliance violations (search: Texas PUC DPI).

DPI is a scam. They are ripping off thousands of customers including myself. For example, I would put $50.00 on my lights, my lights will be cut off within two days and when I call to find out why, they will say because they took out taxes or they just don't know. They will not allow you to speak to a manager and we spend about $500 a month on average because of this. They cut your lights off and tell you it was an accident and then charge you reconnection and disconnection fees still and refuse to remove the charges. This company is scamming thousands of people and getting away with it. I have filed a complaint with the attorney general because this is not right. These people are very dishonest!

This month's bill, they said I had "estimated" usage of almost 2000kw. How do you have that much use when you and your kids are gone to school and work, and my air is not on? Once we went out of town for a week and put $75 on the light bill before leaving. When we came back, the light was off. Literally our light gets cut off every 3 days and even with all of the complaints filed against these idiots, nothing has been done. I will not stop until this issue is resolved. This is horrible service and I plan to file a lawsuit against this company along with other customers I have contacted who have been ripped off. I also plan to post reviews and expose this company before others are robbed for their hard earned money.

I am highly upset and I will see to it that justice is served for myself as well as others. Please do not switch to this company, it will be your biggest mistake in life. The customer service reps pretend to be supervisors and will overtalk you, will not let you speak and are very rude and disrespectful. I would rather light a damn candle than to deal with these thieves. If you work hard for your money, don't give it to these people. I promise you will regret it. Check out other reviews, it gets worse.

I started electric service with DPI Energy in June 2011. In September 2011, sales reps for the company contacted us about their balanced billing program and basically misled us on information. I was told that adjustments between actual charges and the balanced billing would be reviewed and billing adjustments made after 12 months. These "adjustments" showed up on my April 2012 bill when the amount of bill for a one-bedroom apartment went from $139 a month to $459. When I called to inquire why the bill was so high, no one at DPI could tell. The service rep said it must be a mistake. (I've maintained dates & times of our conversations.)

I was told to pay my usual amount. Similar to those of everyone else who has complained, a few days later, the electricity was disconnected. I was asked to negotiate a payment plan for the $459 (early balance bill adjustment), which I did to restore my electricity. The payment arrangement was to pay $153 by the 27th of each month for the next 3 months. I paid earlier than the due date, and still, my electricity was disconnected the next month.

When I called to ask if the disconnection was due to any miscommunication about our payment arrangement, the service rep stated I had no payment arrangement according to his records on my account. When I stated that my last payment amount change was the "consideration" of an agreed-upon arrangement and gave him the names of those involved and times of my previous correspondences, he conceded and turned my electricity back on. (The poor man probably lost his job for that.) This was in May.

In June, DPI disconnected my electricity again prior to the 3rd installment of our arrangement due. This time, the "supervisor" stated I must make higher payments. I was told I must pay $614 by the 15th of June. Remember, I've paid every month and I only have a one-bedroom apartment. I struggled to make this payment by the 15th, only to get a bill on the 18th stating I must pay $505 prior to June 28th. This amount does not include what I just paid or the actual amount of my usage. It represents, as I understand it, the new requirements for a balanced bill arrangement that both their sales reps and I have never agreed to.

The pattern here is that even though you pay the required amount prior to the due date, DPI will disconnect your electricity without notice to force you to negotiate a payment arrangement based on higher and higher amounts, not due to your actual usage but due to their arbitrary "estimates" of usage. When you are sitting in a hot apartment with perishable food, you are being coerced and pressured to agree to their terms. Count me in on a class action suit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruSmart Energy?

I have had DPI for the last year and a half and at first, I was very satisfied. I would tell others about them and that they need to change too. But for the last 6 months, I have been disconnected every month. When I am disconnected, I pay the bill within the same 20 minutes. I have young children under the age of 15 and my wife has bad allergies and we keep air circling through the house. I was getting text messages and even customer service calls and when I called to find out what was going on, I would get that they have trouble and trying to resolve the issue, and would credit my account $10. But two weeks later, I'll get another turn off and I know I haven't used $100 that fast. I could have stayed with Reliant for this **. Still as of today, I haven't received a callback as the rep said and I cannot check my account online as well. Probably, I would have my turn off notice too and it is 100 degrees out there.

When I signed up with DPI, they told me they would send a text message to my cell phone with my daily balance (pay as you go), which they did do for the first 6 months, then nothing but darkness. Why? Because they cut me off without notice. They have continued this practice monthly for the last 8 months or so. They are messing with my credit rating with other utility companies by constantly disconnecting me without notice. Now I can't even get on to their website to check my balance. Their website appears to be down. Had I been informed of a pending disconnections, I could have taken care of the balance. My sister, who resides with me and is on oxygen, would not have to endure the long waiting periods for reconnection. Today, I am wondering what my balance is but since the website is down. We may again wake up to no light. Please, someone look into this company's business practices. This is an accurate and fair statement.

I wish to retract my previous complaint about DPI Energy. DPI's Director of Sales and Marketing responded quickly to this complaint, with utmost concern for: Improving their performance as part of a positive restructuring and immediately solving my refund problem. He was willing to do anything that would work for me to get me the money right away, and really restored my faith. DPI's Sales Manager also contacted me to offer his assistance. I am very happily surprised and have asked Consumer Affairs to remove my complaint.

I tried to sign up for their service. They requested and I paid a $50 deposit via credit card on the phone. They then sent me to "verification" who determined I don't qualify for pre-pay service because I'm a "critical care" (electric-powered-medical-device dependent) customer. I requested my $50 back. I was repeatedly hung up on, left on hold for 10-20 minutes, and then treated by the same person like they hadn't just spoken with me before being hung up on again. I'm told I can have the refund in 10-14 business days (2 weeks and a day through 3 weeks) and that I cannot speak to anyone about it because the main office handles it - they don't take calls and no one there even has a phone number for the main office. Ridiculous. Now, I see they have a BBB rating of "F" and I know why.

DPI disconnected my service without a disconnect notice, text, or phone call, which is common practice with their company. Then, I was told that account was canceled and I would have to have a new account opened. For a fee of $25, I could have service back on same day. Needles to say, 24 hours later, we still have no service and I am told I will have to wait 24 to 48 business hours to get service. There is nothing they can do even though they promised that fee will expedite services.

They refused to refund my money or resubmit an expedited order. When I asked for a supervisor (James **), he was no help and was rude. I was told there's no one else to speak with above him. He gave the corporate number (972-488-5500) and there’s no live voice. Option 1 is back to the same people. Option 2 is for DPI reps but when dialed says invalid ext. For option 3, the operator only gives a generic VMB that no one responds to. I am dissatisfied and angry. I have a paraplegic son and 3 small children at home. They were the cause of this situation. They lied to me. They had no concern on doing the right thing. Sorry doesn't help me replace $150 worth of food, $40 meds, $25 fees or the stress of trying to relocate to a hotel ($125) until they turn service back on. Bad company. They take advantage of your need for urgency! But they shouldn't get away with this.

I switched to their prepaid service end of last year because the rates were competitive. It is a paperless account where they notify me by text and email when my balance is low so that I may make a payment. In the past months, I have received the daily texts/emails and have always made my payments, never have I had my services disconnected. Today, I went home to find my power off. No text, no email, nothing to notify me as they are supposed to do. I have to call to find out the status of my account, make a payment and hope that it gets turned back on before my small child gets home this evening. I spoke to a customer services representative and I use that term loosely! They told me that I also have to pay disconnection fees and such. After asking to speak to a manager and also reminding them of their end of the deal, they were not helpful at all. They have now lost a good customer.

We moved in and a representative told me that if we pay a $75.00 charge, our lights will be on the same day and that our bill will be mailed to us. Then 1 week later, without notice, our power went out. I am currently ill and going through doctor's care and I am disabled. I also have 2 children, 6 and 5 years old. I had food that I had to throw away. I just lost so much and when I called the company, they told me that my bill was supposed to be texted to my cell phone but they never told us this when we set up service so they stole $75.00.

They quoted me a $50, same day/next day service, but they never came out. I made sure to draft my acct. to save a day. I called to confirm connection and was lied to. They ** closed for the entire weekend after I paid Thursday. I waited for over 72 hours. I called them but they hung up on me. Their agents pretended to be supervisors, but then after six different people a supervisor doesn't want to refund my money. They have poor customer service before even getting a customer. I now have TXU and they connected in less than 3 hrs on the same day.

First I received a bill of $125 a week after I moved in. I thought I was signing up to the account they have that you put money in your account when it gets low. Because I don't have a smart meter I couldn't have that plan. I wasn't told this until after I paid $170 to have the service. I set up a payment plan for the $125 bill to pay $65.71 that day, then the remaining $60 would be split 50/50 on my next two bills. I received a disconnection notice this month for the remaining $60 that I owed. So I called and talked to 6 different people and a supervisor, and all of them kept saying it was due by the 16th or my lights would be disconnected. I kept explaining I did not agree to that and that was not what was told to me. The supervisor said he would not charge me for the remaining $60 but I needed to switch to something else that required me to pay $281 to get the new service. If I am debating you on $60 why would I say okay with paying $281. That doesn't make sense. And they put my address on a blacklist so I cannot get information on having services with another company.

I just moved and I used DPI as my energy provider. My first bill was $137. When I received my second bill, it was $572. I called to ask how is it that my bill went from 137 to 572 when nothing in my household changed.

For one, I could not understand anything this foreigner was saying and kept asking him to speak to someone else, which I was never able to get. I finally got someone and they gave me a payment plan to split the cost into three payments. Now I have gotten my third bill and it is $1205.96.

Are you kidding me? There is no way in hell my bill should have quadrupled like that. My kids and I will probably be without lights because their is no way I can pay a $1200 light bill. I have no clue who or where they are getting these prices from but you can never get a clear answer. I have to try and switch companies because these prices are absolutely ridiculous.

Times are hard now due to the economy. DPI turned my electricity off. I called customer service and ask how much I have to pay. They said it’s $302.26 which is fine. So as soon I paid my bill, they turned my lights on which is great. Then, two days later, I received another bill from DPI and the amount due was $584.85.

Where did that come from? So I called DPI and ask why my bill was so high. They said that I still owe them from last month. Don’t you have to pay the entire bill to get your electricity turned on? How come I owe them $584.85? The only thing they asked me was if I wanted to make a payment plan. I was so mad and I was like “Hey, why is my bill so high? You guys need to send somebody out here so they can read this meter. Until so, I need to find another light company.”

My six months were up with dPi so I switched to other provider. But my services never got switched according to dPi. A bill statement had been printed out after I cancelled so dPi put a switch hold so that the other provider could not connect my services. It took more than seven days for dPi to see if I owe them any payment. I was so upset that my electricity was turned off. I was told that they would remove the switch hold if I pay $168 for the next month. I explained, "Why should I pay a prepaid account when I was no longer with dPi?"

After so many calls, they finally said that I had a credit of $304 since I had been overcharged. One month, I was charged for 1,400 kilowatt and the bill was $236, which I paid. Then, the next month, it showed that I only used 388 kilowatt so I know that they owe me a credit. They tried very hard to keep me as a customer so when I finally said no way, they said that my final credit was only $34. Now, please do not use dPi. I am still waiting for my $34.

I was asked to pay $149 to get my service started the next day. It's been 4 days already and I'm just getting the runaround. After all of the complaints I've seen, I don't think I'll be getting any services turned on.

I aid $115.25 last month (Sept 2010) with DPI Energy. This month I get a bill for the amount for the amount of $987.09! I looked at the name to make sure it was my name, my address. It was. I then felt a pain in my chest. Surely this was an onset of a heart attack. I looked at the bill for a long time trying to figure out how in the world they can get that amount.

Even if I was past due, it still would not amount to that amount. So, I call them. I get a gentleman who was from India. First of all, it was hard to understand him. Then he explained about their True Up program. They were charging me for usage I have not used yet. Because I am a customer of over six months with them now, they estimated my charges for a period up to December 2010! I told them, "You do realize I cannot pay that amount at one time? I do good enough to pay what is owed each month but this is absurd. Will you pay my hospital bill when I go in for a heart attack from opening your bill to me? " The man tried to explain about their program then said, "I can get you over to our payment dept where they can work out a payment plan."

I told them, "I don't want a payment plan. I want to pay each month what I owe for what I have used. I do not want to pay on usage I have not used yet. This is not right. How can you do this to people? I am not happy! " Again, it was the same thing from the man. Still I was unable to understand what he was saying because his accent was so heavy and words seemed to run into other words. This was very frustrating. Of course I get a notice they will disconnect my services if I do not pay the amount.

I paid $115.25 last month (Sept. 2010) with DPI Energy. This month, I got a bill for the amount…wait for it...wait...sit down...for the amount of $987.09! I looked at the name to make sure it was my name, my address. It was. I then felt a pain in my chest. Surely this was an onset of a heart attack. I looked at the bill for a long time trying to figure out how in the world they can get that amount. Even if I was past due, it still would not amount to that amount. So, I called them. I got a gentleman who was from India. First of all, it was hard to understand him. Then, he explained about their True Up program. They were charging me for usage I have not used yet. Because I am a customer of over six months with them now, they estimated my charges for a period up to December 2010!

I told them, "You do realize I cannot pay that amount at one time? I do good enough to pay what is owed each month, but this is absurd. Will you pay my hospital bill when I go in for a heart attack from opening your bill to me?" The man tried to explain about their program then said, "I can get you over to our payment department where they can work out a payment plan." I told them, “I don't want a payment plan. I want to pay each month what I owe for what I have used. I do not want to pay on usage I have not used yet. This is not right. How can you do this to people? I am not happy!" Again, it was the same thing from the man. Still, I was unable to understand what he was saying because his accent was so heavy and words seemed to run into other words. This was very frustrating. Of course, I got a notice they will disconnect my services if I do not pay the amount.

I signed up with DPI in February. I thought it was a great deal, but sadly it was too good to be true. The rep tried to explain and kept repeating, "I understand your concern ma'am," I told him, "You don't understand. This smart meter is crap, you all told me that prior to my service being cut off I would receive an email, call and text". I updated info with them several times and have not received a call, email or text yet. The first rep told me the payment of 127.59 was needed so I paid 130.00. The rep also told me that the reconnection fee would be rolled over as to my next bill, when it wasn't my fault it got disconnect in the first place. She provided me with the conf #.

I called back and spoke with James, who advised me that the payment wasn't paid in full and that I had to make another payment of $8.00 or my service couldn't be connected. I made the payment with James for 8.00 and he then tells me it would be 24 to 48 hrs before my service would be back on. I told him this is unbelievable and I need to speak with the manager. James stated that all the managers were busy, so I advised him I was an unhappy customer and I needed to speak with one of them. It was not till I told James he was not part of the complaint that he placed my call to the manager named Sam. Sam got on the phone and tells me I need to make a payment of 35.00 for the reconnection fee.

At this time I'm done making the payment and asked him to let me speak with the manager and advised me someone would call me back. I am still waiting. Please do not use this company. The reps are being paid for absolutely nothing, but collecting payments. DPI Energy is the worst company for electricity.

I like dpi energy. I've had them for months and everything has been fair. I think that having a representative explain how things work is key. The lady who set up my service explained everything.. that, plus no deposit or 2 year contract makes it perfect, and of course "no-credit checks" works for me!

On 7/21, I went to whitefence.com and placed an order for pre-paid electric for DPI. It required $129 payment to start service, so I paid it. After the confirmation page states it wouldn't be until Tuesday 27th, so I called whitefence immediately. They told me to call DPI and have them cancel it. So on Thursday, I called and gave my act# **. And the agent told me she would cancel the request and no funds would be drafted. Well 6 days later on Tuesday 27th, the $129 comes out. DPI shows on my statement but now their saying they don't have the payment. So I faxed over a copy of my bank statement showing the payment and now they are telling me 5 days to review. This is nonsense.

Do not buy from DPI Energy. They are scammers and will take your money. DPI Energy lied to me and said I needed $179 to get started. 6 days later, they cut me off on the same day they sent me a bill for $515.37 and said I better pay it or I could go somewhere else. Well I did just that. I found out Direct Energy has a prepaid plan that is honest, has low rates and uses a smart meter. I'm just glad I switched. DPI Energy just sends any bill they felt like sending and DPI Energy is actually located in India. Our money is going to a bunch or rude people who cannot even speak English. Anyone who reads this and has been ripped off should contact the BBB and also the Texas PUC to complain about this bunch of hooligans at DPI Energy. They have the highest rates in Texas and will cut you off every time. I switched and I'm not paying them a penny.

I signed up with DPI in Feb. I thought it was a great deal, but sadly it was too good to be true. My bill jumped from $92 to $528 in one month's time. When I called to question the charges, the rep tried to explain my wattage use for the summer. I explain that I lived alone, in an efficiency apt, so I didn't care what the meter read. There was no way I could use that much more electricity in only one month. He just kept repeating "I understand your concern ma'am," (it almost drove me nuts) then I was told to call Centerpoint energy. The very next day, I came home and my lights were off.

Please do not use this company. The reps are a bunch of ** robots that are being paid for absolutely nothing but collecting payments. It's July, I have no ac, my food is spoiling, and I won't get paid till the 25th which means I may not have service till August. And besides all that, this disconnection will hurt me when other electric providers check my current status and see that I've been disconnected.

DPI Energy is the worst company for electricity. They have the highest rates and the bills are just estimates. They are not even off the meter reading. They ** me in with that no deposit scam. A week later, I got a bill of $421.32 and 2 days after, that I was cut off. I learned my lesson and scraped up a deposit and went with legitimate company.Then I called the Texas Public Utilities Commission Complaint line to report DPI Energy. I did not pay the bill because they lied to get me to sign up. Everyone who has been defrauded by DPI Energy needs to call to protect their rights. And you don't need to pay the bill to this deceitful excuse of a company.

They were over charging every month. The service was cut off and they said it would be 3 days before service would be turned on. I have had them for 5 months. They say no deposit but they do charge a deposit.

Dpi Energy uses an unethical bait and switch tactic to enroll customers. In their ads as well as when you start an account with you, they explain that you will be billed at a specific rate for a fixed period of time of six months. They do not tell you this only billed at an estimated usage for this period of time, at which point they finally do an actual meter reading and then charge you at an extremely elevated rate resulting in a severely elevated bill for usage. I was told I would be billed at the amount of $129.00 p/m for an 850 sq/ft one bedroom apt.

After paying my initial payment I was then billed within two weeks for $254. I was constantly being billed for extremely high amounts every week or two despite the amounts I was paying, then at the end of six months they then tried to bill me in the amount of $701.23 on the same day they disconnected my power and that it would cost me $336.00 in order to restore my service, in addition to the aforementioned $701.23 within ten days. Pay the deposit what ever it is and go with a legitimate company that will bill you fairly and give you reasonable explanations in regards to your billing inquiries and not try to give you the run around. I refuse to pay for charges that unfounded and fabricated in order to take advantage of low income people even though I know they will probably put this bill in collections and without a doubt reflect poorly on my credit report.

DPI Energy is a scam company. I have reported them to the PUC in Austin. They take advantage of people by first lying and getting a start up fee and the sending bills after 10 days. I paid $129 to get started and got a bill of $287.65 10 days later. I did not pay DPI Energy the rip off scammers. I just went and put a deposit and went with a legitimate company.

For anyone else getting defrauded by DPI Energy, just don't pay. You will keep getting bills every 10-14 days with threats of being cut off. Instead, use the money you would have paid for their highest in Texas rates and put a deposit down with another company. Any other company, you will save a lot of money. You do not owe DPI Energy because they lied to get you to sing up in the first place. I lost my $129.00 but no more. I learned from my mistake. Do not use DPI Energy, they will charge you the highest rates in Texas, constantly threaten to turn you off. Do not pay their fraud bills.

DPI Energy told me they were going to charge me $129.00 per month for electric service. I paid the $129.00, and one week later, I got a bill for $233.73 that was due in ten days. I managed to pay this extreme amount, and then two weeks later, I got another bill for $177.73. Now it’s due again and I have to pay tomorrow or they’re disconnecting it. DPI Energy is a rip-off for people with bad or poor credit. They take advantage of innocent people saying there’s no deposit and then charging them ridiculous amounts for their electric bills in return. I think they’re fraud and the company is a scam.

I got my water turned off today because I had to make a choice in what was more important my electricity or water. I have 5 children. I had to borrow money to get the water back on. This is just horrible. My electric bills are extremely way too high and they’re sending them out every 2-3 weeks apart, sometimes less.

TruSmart Energy Company Profile