1.38/5

Looking for a Texas electricity company?

TruSmart Energy

Looking for a Texas electricity company?

42 TruSmart Energy Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

I had service with TruSmart Energy for about 3 1/2 years, first through pre-pay then enrolled into free nights and weekends 12 month. I was very satisfied with the plan which had no hidden fees, no company added base charge, and was at a set price of .086 6am to 8pm weekdays and .043 8pm to 6am weekdays and 8pm Friday until 6am Monday. The separate billing charges were clearly marked on the bill, the bills came on time, we received weekly energy reports through email and cell phone messages.

The only problem I ever had was that if their system went down it was down because the bulk of their business and billing was ran by computer. My contract was renewed in January 2016 with the same terms except the price went up a few cents, .049 and .098 respectively with the same free nights and weekends and no base charge. There also were minimal usage etc. Then, when February's bill came suddenly the website no longer worked, nor did their phone system. I still received weekly reports but could not access my account. Then Verde Energy calls and says they bought accounts and overcharges on everything.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2013

A couple of years ago DPI changed my electric from my electric company to DPI. I did not give them permission at all. My bill wad paid up to date with my electric company. I did bring charges against them and it was investigated after I faxed my electric bill and received a favorable judgement by PUC. I called DPI and requested my electric be switched back and they turned off my electric on a Friday afternoon in 40 degree rainy weather, after saying it would be switched to my company, heartless to say the least. DO NOT TRUST COMPANY. They sent me a bill for hundreds of dollars. I believe they were fined by PUC. I do have the PUC# as proof.

Get expert buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2013

The company's "16mo Free-Sundays" plan is truly a clever, misleading rip-off for most consumers. I recommend you stay away. My actual average OVERCHARGED electric rate OF $0.931 is more than 5% greater than the $0.088 rate shown on the EFL (1000kWh+). Their emailed excuses describe surprising billing terms & conditions that ARE NOT DISCLOSED on any documents provided by the company during or after sign-up. After many excuses emailed by them, it was finally revealed that for the consumer to achieve the expected/quoted $0.088/kWh contract rate, the consumer is required to "shift their usage to Sundays" and "use over 15.8% of their kWh's/mo. on Sundays".

If your daily electric usage is essentially uniform throughout each day of a month, the troubling part of their plan is in the math, which demonstrates the 15.8% threshold would RARELY, if ever be achievable by a consumer. To achieve 15.8%+ Sunday usage, the billing period needs to INCLUDE FIVE SUNDAYS and be 31 days or less!!! That is never possible in any 31 day or less billing period, UNLESS the billing period starts or ends on a weekend day. Remember, THEY control the billing periods and their billing periods never start or end on a weekend day.

In case you were unaware, TruSmart Energy is the result a business-merger or take-over from DPI, Inc. That name change from DPI to TruSmart was the result of a settlement with the Texas PUC Regulatory Authorities who were seeking "administrative penalties" and to "revoke" the license of DPI ENERGY LLC due to "consumer protection" and other compliance violations (search: Texas PUC DPI).

Original review: Aug. 9, 2012

DPI is a scam. They are ripping off thousands of customers including myself. For example, I would put $50.00 on my lights, my lights will be cut off within two days and when I call to find out why, they will say because they took out taxes or they just don't know. They will not allow you to speak to a manager and we spend about $500 a month on average because of this. They cut your lights off and tell you it was an accident and then charge you reconnection and disconnection fees still and refuse to remove the charges. This company is scamming thousands of people and getting away with it. I have filed a complaint with the attorney general because this is not right. These people are very dishonest!

This month's bill, they said I had "estimated" usage of almost 2000kw. How do you have that much use when you and your kids are gone to school and work, and my air is not on? Once we went out of town for a week and put $75 on the light bill before leaving. When we came back, the light was off. Literally our light gets cut off every 3 days and even with all of the complaints filed against these idiots, nothing has been done. I will not stop until this issue is resolved. This is horrible service and I plan to file a lawsuit against this company along with other customers I have contacted who have been ripped off. I also plan to post reviews and expose this company before others are robbed for their hard earned money.

I am highly upset and I will see to it that justice is served for myself as well as others. Please do not switch to this company, it will be your biggest mistake in life. The customer service reps pretend to be supervisors and will overtalk you, will not let you speak and are very rude and disrespectful. I would rather light a damn candle than to deal with these thieves. If you work hard for your money, don't give it to these people. I promise you will regret it. Check out other reviews, it gets worse.

Original review: June 30, 2012

I started electric service with DPI Energy in June 2011. In September 2011, sales reps for the company contacted us about their balanced billing program and basically misled us on information. I was told that adjustments between actual charges and the balanced billing would be reviewed and billing adjustments made after 12 months. These "adjustments" showed up on my April 2012 bill when the amount of bill for a one-bedroom apartment went from $139 a month to $459. When I called to inquire why the bill was so high, no one at DPI could tell. The service rep said it must be a mistake. (I've maintained dates & times of our conversations.)

I was told to pay my usual amount. Similar to those of everyone else who has complained, a few days later, the electricity was disconnected. I was asked to negotiate a payment plan for the $459 (early balance bill adjustment), which I did to restore my electricity. The payment arrangement was to pay $153 by the 27th of each month for the next 3 months. I paid earlier than the due date, and still, my electricity was disconnected the next month.

When I called to ask if the disconnection was due to any miscommunication about our payment arrangement, the service rep stated I had no payment arrangement according to his records on my account. When I stated that my last payment amount change was the "consideration" of an agreed-upon arrangement and gave him the names of those involved and times of my previous correspondences, he conceded and turned my electricity back on. (The poor man probably lost his job for that.) This was in May.

In June, DPI disconnected my electricity again prior to the 3rd installment of our arrangement due. This time, the "supervisor" stated I must make higher payments. I was told I must pay $614 by the 15th of June. Remember, I've paid every month and I only have a one-bedroom apartment. I struggled to make this payment by the 15th, only to get a bill on the 18th stating I must pay $505 prior to June 28th. This amount does not include what I just paid or the actual amount of my usage. It represents, as I understand it, the new requirements for a balanced bill arrangement that both their sales reps and I have never agreed to.

The pattern here is that even though you pay the required amount prior to the due date, DPI will disconnect your electricity without notice to force you to negotiate a payment arrangement based on higher and higher amounts, not due to your actual usage but due to their arbitrary "estimates" of usage. When you are sitting in a hot apartment with perishable food, you are being coerced and pressured to agree to their terms. Count me in on a class action suit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruSmart Energy?

Original review: June 27, 2012

I have had DPI for the last year and a half and at first, I was very satisfied. I would tell others about them and that they need to change too. But for the last 6 months, I have been disconnected every month. When I am disconnected, I pay the bill within the same 20 minutes. I have young children under the age of 15 and my wife has bad allergies and we keep air circling through the house. I was getting text messages and even customer service calls and when I called to find out what was going on, I would get that they have trouble and trying to resolve the issue, and would credit my account $10. But two weeks later, I'll get another turn off and I know I haven't used $100 that fast. I could have stayed with Reliant for this **. Still as of today, I haven't received a callback as the rep said and I cannot check my account online as well. Probably, I would have my turn off notice too and it is 100 degrees out there.

Original review: June 26, 2012

When I signed up with DPI, they told me they would send a text message to my cell phone with my daily balance (pay as you go), which they did do for the first 6 months, then nothing but darkness. Why? Because they cut me off without notice. They have continued this practice monthly for the last 8 months or so. They are messing with my credit rating with other utility companies by constantly disconnecting me without notice. Now I can't even get on to their website to check my balance. Their website appears to be down. Had I been informed of a pending disconnections, I could have taken care of the balance. My sister, who resides with me and is on oxygen, would not have to endure the long waiting periods for reconnection. Today, I am wondering what my balance is but since the website is down. We may again wake up to no light. Please, someone look into this company's business practices. This is an accurate and fair statement.

Original review: June 22, 2012

I wish to retract my previous complaint about DPI Energy. DPI's Director of Sales and Marketing responded quickly to this complaint, with utmost concern for: Improving their performance as part of a positive restructuring and immediately solving my refund problem. He was willing to do anything that would work for me to get me the money right away, and really restored my faith. DPI's Sales Manager also contacted me to offer his assistance. I am very happily surprised and have asked Consumer Affairs to remove my complaint.

Original review: June 19, 2012

I tried to sign up for their service. They requested and I paid a $50 deposit via credit card on the phone. They then sent me to "verification" who determined I don't qualify for pre-pay service because I'm a "critical care" (electric-powered-medical-device dependent) customer. I requested my $50 back. I was repeatedly hung up on, left on hold for 10-20 minutes, and then treated by the same person like they hadn't just spoken with me before being hung up on again. I'm told I can have the refund in 10-14 business days (2 weeks and a day through 3 weeks) and that I cannot speak to anyone about it because the main office handles it - they don't take calls and no one there even has a phone number for the main office. Ridiculous. Now, I see they have a BBB rating of "F" and I know why.

Original review: March 9, 2012

DPI disconnected my service without a disconnect notice, text, or phone call, which is common practice with their company. Then, I was told that account was canceled and I would have to have a new account opened. For a fee of $25, I could have service back on same day. Needles to say, 24 hours later, we still have no service and I am told I will have to wait 24 to 48 business hours to get service. There is nothing they can do even though they promised that fee will expedite services.

They refused to refund my money or resubmit an expedited order. When I asked for a supervisor (James **), he was no help and was rude. I was told there's no one else to speak with above him. He gave the corporate number (972-488-5500) and there’s no live voice. Option 1 is back to the same people. Option 2 is for DPI reps but when dialed says invalid ext. For option 3, the operator only gives a generic VMB that no one responds to. I am dissatisfied and angry. I have a paraplegic son and 3 small children at home. They were the cause of this situation. They lied to me. They had no concern on doing the right thing. Sorry doesn't help me replace $150 worth of food, $40 meds, $25 fees or the stress of trying to relocate to a hotel ($125) until they turn service back on. Bad company. They take advantage of your need for urgency! But they shouldn't get away with this.

TruSmart Energy Company Information