1.29/5

Virginia

Last updated: March 2, 2018

114 Dominion Resources Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: March 2, 2018

I have had them for years and have no problems with them - when Mother Nature decides to take the electric down, they are very prompt to be out in all kinds of weather - working to restore power.

Original review: March 1, 2018

We have been with Dominion Virginia Power for over 20 yrs. Our home is all electric, which is very costly. We keep our thermostats as low as possible, and use a wood burning stove to avoid always turning the heat on. In the hot humid days of summer, we use timers on the window units, turning them on in the evenings; again, to keep the high cost of electricity down! We are located in an older neighborhood with overhead power lines. Every time there is a heavy thunderstorm, ice storms or high winds we lose power. We also are plagued with momentary power loss almost every few month, which has a negative effect on the life of our fire alarms and other battery-run appliances. I should mention though that when we experience power outages, their automated system for reporting outages is very good. Over the past few years, their response time to power loss has improved.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Dominion is very conscientious starting & keeping customers services connected. The referrals to agencies to assist with payment options is very nice especially the Customer Service Center. They're very polite.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

After the Derecho 5+ yrs ago, we were out of power in our area for 4+ days. Dominion Power had 24/7 emergency teams trucked in from as far away as Texas to bring our area back up. Our area is notorious for losing power with just a sneeze, and Dominion Power has been working on improving the area.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have always received excellent service. When there is severe weather conditions, and I lose power, it is usually restored very quickly. However, I am concerned about the proposed pipeline.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dominion Resources?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Terrible hours, for something so important such as gas (esp during winter). Terrible, could care less attitude customer service. Wish there were more options for gas. We built a new house and are new to setting up ALL these utilities and companies. Made a honest mistake of forgetting to call Dominion whatever it is called. They said they attempted to contact us!? He knocked and ran to his truck got his stuff and turned it off (We weren't home. Have ring and saw how fast he was and attempted to talk to him through ring, he ignored our 3 attempts). Called them right away after realizing what was going on. Called Friday around 12pm. They said it was too late and it will be shut off till Monday. MONDAY. It's February, we have children. They don't care. They said the guy won't come back (even though he was still in front of our house) and take off the lock. It was pathetic and sad how lazy and how much they lack sympathy.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We are the odd extremely conscious energy users; our thermostat is rarely on at all (and set at 66 it is), my wife and I take our showers at the gym, and our gas stove is used at most once a week. In over 2 yrs at a our current residence we have never had a gas bill exceeding $50. This winter has been unusually warm so gas consumption should logically be down, dramatically so. Yet, we got our gas bill this morning and it is $140. We talked to a neighbor and a family member who lives in the area, their bill is also exponentially higher than it has ever been. Something is clearly going on with Dominion Energy.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Dominion Energy bought out Questar in Utah. After it happened I received a bill stating that my balance was $0. I called to question my bill. I was told that it was correct. The next month I received a bill which said my balance was $0. Again I called and to question and was told it was correct. Last month my $60 bill with Questar turned into $117. This month my bill is $175. Excuse me? This company is doing nothing but ripping people off. Something is definitely wrong with their billing practice. I'm having an attorney look into the issue. This screams class action.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Worst customer service ever. So you get that automated call saying you're late making payment. You need to make a payment before a due date that they set before you get cut off. Okay, fine. The date they set is always a day or two before you get paid. Never fail. Called customer and say, "I can't pay you on the 6th but I can pay you on the 9th in full. That is my payday. Can we do this instead?" "No. It has to be paid on the date given." I asked for a supervisor whom might can override this for a 3 day extension. Remember, I'm calling to pay on my bill. I'm told their computers are set and lock and no one can make any changes once you are given that payment arrangement date. That is so much bull. You can smell that from California.

Then I offer to pay 80% of the bill with promise of paying the remainder 3 days later. I'm told, "No." This is so frustrating and stressful. I'm trying to pay you the money owed but you don't want it cause I have to give it to you on your terms which isn't doing the customer no favors but yet this company is the first one in a commercial to say, "we're here to serve you". This company makes more than enough to loosen your panties a little to help the citizens who is making you dirty rich. What you need is competition.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I've just received my power bill January the 25th of 2018. I am not happy with their new charges. Dominion has monopolized on electricity and power throughout the state of Virginia. My bill is $297.30 due February 16th. My previous bill was Received on December 26 of 2017 which the due date was January the 18th 2018 of $194.65. I paid that of course. I also paid a extra 5 cent to the bill which it made it $194.70 So on this month then I received the bill January to 25th 2018. The due date for this bill is February the 16th 2018 so do the math from the bill. On January the 18th of 2018 to February the 16th 2018 that's only 29 days so I Receive a bill from Dominion every 11 days out of the year.

There's 365 days out of the year. Divide that by 11. It will give you 33. So I'm Receiving 33 dominion bills out of 12 months out of the year where you could do it this way. 2 bills in one month times 12 Because that's how many months are in a year Equals 24 bills From dominion I'm receiving and one year of time Adding the extra fees because it's winner is not the customer's problem. Do not blame it on the customer's heat and air units or Energy saving products to buy. I am not one happy customer. If there was another energy company that would provide Electricity for my household and family I would choose them but there's not. There's only 1 Dominion the monopoly of electric.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I have been living in Norfolk, Virginia now, at this same location for around 5 years, and have always (no other option) had Dominion Power as my electricity provider... Now, all of a sudden, Hampton Roads is caught in an extended cold front that is projected to last until Springtime, and we just got hit with a MASSIVE winter storm that left about half of the East Coast covered in 2-4 feet of snow, and the temperatures will not be getting above 40 degrees until Monday. I just got a bill for $220, from these people, which I paid in full, because I know that they are FAST to cut you off if they don't get their money, but can take hours, and even days to restore service back on, after you get paid up. Why not, they have a Monopoly, and they KNOW it?

Alright, so now I am stuck with the reality that as the temperatures drop drastically, for the next 2 months, the electric bill is going to skyrocket to the Moon, if I plan to not freeze to death, and I am truly confused as to why they are allowed to have a Monopoly, in a country where I thought they were illegal. This is LUDICROUS, and makes me wish I lived somewhere else because a Monopoly is illegal specifically because they can treat their customers as bad as they want to, with zero ramifications. Am I going to be forced to move because of these DEMONS, or what?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I paid my bill before the due date, but it was returned back to me, because of that they charge me 12$. Just because the payment didn't go through, it's ridiculous, I never seen something like this before, I asked them to take off that fee, the supervisor said she can't do anything about that.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I paid my bills and Dominion turn off my electric anyway. I call Dominion after making the payment and two woman I talk to did not give a rats of what I said to them. They told me to call 211 which is just the way of saying take hike. I paid $300 dollars cash and that should be enough to not turn my electric off. They don't care!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

This company is a perfect example of no customer support. I would be hard pressed to think of a company any worse! This is the problem when consumers don't have choices and are forced to choose only one provider, companies then take advantage of consumers. There was a technical outage in my building. The power went off in the morning on a weekend when we had a party scheduled all day. Called and spoke with a supervisor who told me power wouldn't be restored until 11pm. She then explained to me there is nothing they could do to compensate for ruining our event. Not $5 nothing... how poor! She then explained maybe they could do something after 6 days with no service and even then they can't guarantee anything... what a joke! This company is the worst I have ever seen! Virginia get a clue and get this monopolistic out... we need choices!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

My daughter was rushed by ambulance a few weeks back and since then been at 3 different hospitals! She is being sent to see the Chief of Staff on ENT in Washington, D.C.this week! Once I was home longer than 5 min among a pile of mail I found a disconnect notice from Dominion VA power for over $1,000.00. I called them right away and all they could do was tell me to dial 211! The disconnect is less than 24 hours away! I am a single mom of 3 children and don't work due to my own medical issues! Dominion power has been paid by me a total of almost $2,000.00 since June 27, 2017. I can barely afford to keep food in the house! After calling 211 I set up an appointment with United Way and Salvation Army for assistance. I have to get someone to watch over my sick child while I meet with these agencies first thing in the morning!

They told me to call Dominion back and let them know so that way power won't be shut off for a couple hours on a sick child! I wasn't asking for a payment plan or an extension just a couple of hours and they said NO! The reason is their computer won't let them! Have we as humans gotten so lazy we can't pick up a phone and ask a technician to hold off for a couple of hours for a sick child so a bill can be taken care of? A computer doesn't recognize the human body but people do! Dominion VA Power has lost all humanity for human life as long as they collect their money! I am sure a few hours was not going to put them into national debt! Their lack of care and concern for a human is appalling and they disgust me as a company and as another US citizen! I hope that they are never in a situation where one of their own children is in a time of need and no one will listen! GOD HELP THEM!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Every customer service representative is very rude, disrespectful, doesn't show any hospitality towards anyone, they will not waive any fees. They will put you on hold and let you stay on hold for almost a half hour. They have Forever lost a loyal customer that pays in full on time every month!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

Extremely rude, unethical, and literally robs you of everything you have. Dominion has damn near caused me to lose my home and be homeless due to a $600 bill with unexplained charges. That is the exact amount my rent is. I have called every day for the last month with no answers and saying they will "credit" my bill for the current month. All they did was credit my bill and then forward the amount they credited back onto my next bill. My heart is broken and I have been so stressed out that I just don't care. Thanks Dominion for taking my home from me in order to keep my lights on. How can these people live with themselves?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

So Technician Tyler from DOMINION energy shows up at my house and says, "I need cash from you right now or I'm turning off your gas." WTF!? Right! So we are just supposed to GIVE CASH TO SOMEONE WHO SHOWS UP AGGRESSIVE AT OUR HOUSE TO TERMINATE OUR SERVICE? I ask Questar gas in Springville if this is standard procedure, She tells me: "They are not supposed to make contact with you." Yet, Tyler did exactly that! I told him that I will call right now and pay! He tells me, "Unfortunately I cannot wait for that." This little turd can't wait 5 minutes while pay on the phone? What the hell is wrong with your people!???

Original review: July 10, 2017

Today I was shocked to find out that Dominion of Virginia has been taking my regular overpayments for years and directly moving them to a so-called ES INIT account WITHOUT my explicit consent (its CEO's bonus fund?). When I spoke to a supervisor, Ms. ** (Any coincidence here?), she didn't feel any shame of Dominion's business misconducts and claimed that it is stated on the monthly statement's fine prints. Basically, she claimed that it was my fault for not been realizing it even if Dominion has been stealing for years.

Right now, I'm still awaiting refunds for overpayments made this year. I have requested to receive statements for between 2012-2014 to understand how long Dominion has been sneaking behind my back. I am urging those Dominion customers: Please check your billings, statements, and transaction details to make sure you are not a another victim of Dominion's greedy and illegal conduct.

Also, to Dominion of Virginia CEO and the corporate governance body - Please stop this illegal conduct right away! You are not prohibited to steal or move your customer's monies out of their accounts UNLESS you have obtained their explicit consents and signatures prior to those illegal acts. Stealing in the name of Donations is illegal! To Other victims like me: If these illegal acts did not qualify as a Class Action, what Class Actions were created for?

Original review: July 5, 2017

Dominion and the GAZ company are worst than any third world country companies I have dealt with. Worst they actually strive on mediocrity. They charge you whatever amount they want and bully you in to believing it is your fault because you kept your thermostat too high or too low. They can do whatever they want because there is no competition. If I could rate them negative 5 star I would. They are the worst in US if not the world.

Original review: June 26, 2017

Dominion Virginia Power is unfortunately the only Power Company in Northern Virginia, they are also the worst Power Company. Their customer service is horrible, it takes you forever to get to a human being. You're usually sitting on hold for at least 15 minutes before you can talk to a person and then they keep putting you on hold while they try to look up your information. In my household I have a medical condition. They had my medical paper on file but each year they purged their system and they forgot to send me another one. My power was turned off. I paid to have it restored immediately but was still told that I would have to wait until hopefully no later than 8 to have it restored.

With my condition we have to be very careful of either extreme heat or extreme cold and on the day this happened it was 90 degrees and very humid outside and even then they told me that they could request someone come out sooner but they couldn't guarantee that they would be there before 8 p.m. The customer service rep I was speaking with even told me that they were told to tell Dominion Virginia Power clients that even if they're medical clients with medical forms on file they don't get special treatment. They don't get their power turned on any faster after it's been turned off. They just have to wait like everybody else. They're very quick to turn the power off but as soon as you pay they want to drag their feet to turn it back on. And when you have customers who have medical conditions it is inexcusable that you cannot have a technician come out to them immediately to restore their service.

They also keep inconsistent records and keep trying to put all of their customers on paperless billing. Repeatedly I have had issues with not receiving a bill and then being late paying because they have enrolled me in paperless billing. And every time I speak to them I have them unenroll me and they tell me that it's handled and taken care of but the next month it's right back to... you're registered for paperless billing. They're not out here for their clients. They are out here to gouge every cent that they can from the people that live in the communities served by their company.

Original review: May 23, 2017

My son has a medical necessity and they do not care. I paid my bill and they refuse to turn my service on until 8. I talked to the head of the company and she is a total reject. I spent 30 mins on hold trying to talk to the right person and here I am in the ER because my son need his nebulizer and couldn't use it home!

Original review: March 22, 2017

I enrolled my account in autopay. I also disabled "budget billing" because I'd rather just always pay the full amount due on the due date... automatically. "Automatic Payments. Pay 100% of balance due on the due date. Enrolled." Great! Lo and behold, after the draft goes through I notice that only the budget amount was taken out. "PAY 100% OF BALANCE DUE ON THE DUE DATE" seemed pretty clear, but it didn't happen, so I called to find out why.

"You disabled budget billing after the bill was generated." "OK? So?" "The non-budget billing amount will be actually be deducted during the next cycle." "OK, great, that works." "However, that will result in a late fee." "What?" "You can pay now to avoid the late fee." "OK, fine - Please take the full amount due out of my account." "If you do it over the phone, that will result in a service fee." "OK... Nevermind then - I'll just pay online." "You can't pay online because you are enrolled in autopay."

Original review: March 21, 2017

Power usage discrepancy - I moved out of my home on October 15, 2016 due to accepting another employment opportunity located in Fort Meade, Maryland. The house has been vacant since I moved out. I believe that my electricity usage is incorrect and that there is an issue with my meter. There is no way that the home could generate that much electricity without someone residing in it. I have also compared the current monthly bills to bills issued in 2015 (which is when I resided in the home with my son), and the cost is about the same, which is also impossible. I really need someone to look into this as soon as possible. I called customer service recently and was told that there was nothing that could be done. When I resided in the home the total power usage was 11,197, and since moving out of the home the total usage is 14,615. The current amount exceeds the amount of power that was used when I physically resided in the home.

Original review: March 20, 2017

My wife and I are in our late 50s and have NEVER experienced the trouble which Dominion Hope gives its customers! We own 4 houses in Parkersburg, WV and it is only brutal to deal with ONE utility company... Dominion Hope. I know that people have jobs to do, but to have such unsympathetic, rude, and crass customer service located 1,000 miles away in Waco, Texas is unbelievable. Since I was working, my wife had to be at the house to have gas turned on. It was the dead of winter and about 15 degrees outside. The best they could give for a time frame was 8AM-Noon. So since the house was cold and had no furnishings, she waited in the car for a technician to come by and read the meter and turn on one little valve. Okay, 4 hours right? NOPE.

Noon came and went. We called the customer service which is headquartered in Waco, TX and they told us that yes they missed the time slot but that it was not their problem, it was our problem and she would now have to wait from Noon until 4PM. At 5PM they STILL had not arrived and so, being off work I called them. They told me that it would be later and that it would be between 8PM and midnight. WHAAAAT?! I told them that it was unacceptable and that my wife had waited outside for 8 hours in 15-degree weather and their response was "Well that's the way it is!" I drove to the local Dominion Hope building in Parkersburg and although it had signs saying no admittance I went through the gate anyway and rang the front bell. What a difference in the politeness and helpful experience I had from the local people as opposed to the rudeness which I found in multiple Waco people!!!

They agreed that Waco's customer service and the way they handled new customers and service issues was rarely good and within 45 minutes had the gas turned on for us. Dominion Hope better check out where their system is falling: first in the extremely rude department in Waco; next, do they need more help to fulfill service calls? I am not sure but something needs addressed. Our experience with electric, water, trash, is fine. And our experience with the gas companies in homes which we own in Ohio is fine. It's JUST DOMINION HOPE. Any chance to avoid this company, do so if at all possible. Their Waco, Texas department is nothing but a bunch of unhelpful and lazy losers!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I called Dominion Power to do a simple transfer. The customer service rep was not friendly. It was downright brutal dealing with this company! It was an act of congress to have our service transferred. Dominion Power is the worst in customer service. I was transferred from one person to another. The government likes to destroy monopolies. They should start with all utility companies and make them earn their customers.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Dominion Power has charge me twice for the same bill that I have already paid last month and this month which is causing a back up. I have been paying my bill as normal until January bill came in and Dominion Power out of the blue cast my bill up to 270 after I had just paid my bill and the amount should have went down but instead it went up and I have not been home nor was I using my heat. I called and I was connected to 3 different managers and there was only one that gave her name and she as a manager could not tell me why my bill was going up when I am making my payments. I ask "Why are you not posting my payments?" And in response I got "Well I see you made your payment on this date so you owe now 217." And I ask can she send me that payment bill amount then she said "Oh but you still owe another amount."

And at that time I was really fed up because I knew that was not true. She then said let me connect you to the people that handles that, this man came on the phone and said "How may I help you?" I had to explain myself all over. He claim to also be a manager with no ID number. They was all saying the same thing so I ask for a corporate office number and he said "OK hold on. I will get you that number." Then a ** lady got on the phone. Said "There is no one else you can discuss your bill with and corporate will tell you the same thing that you owe an extra 100 dollars from your December bill." I said "No ma'am you are wrong because I have all of my receipts and I also have my December receipt as well." She never respond to that. She just said "Well you may have thought you paid it but you didn't." I told her that I refuse to pay a bill that I have already paid and that I will get a lawyer for legal advice.

Dominion power has been cheating a lot of people and something needs to be done right away. They know that people needs their lights in their homes and they use that against the people to get more money that is why I keeps all of my receipts. Also I am looking to move to a place with everything included. I refuse to deal with Dominion Power. I need them to stop trying to make me pay for electric that I am not using because sometimes I don't use my heat or stove and my bill is even higher and at this time I will only pay what I feel I feel owe.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

When my husband and I moved to a new residence, we were supposed have a transfer of service and stop service at our old home. We just found out that the power was never stopped at the previous residence and we have been paying the bill for two homes for several months. We only found out by accident that the new tenant had never turned power on in her name. Any attempts to resolve this issue have been met with a runaround. When I called to determine whose name the electric had been in for those months, I was told they had no record of my call to stop service to the old residence. I have never had to specify that I needed to stop service to one address when it is clearly a transfer, but yes I had specifically requested service be stopped at one residence and transferred to the new one.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

My girlfriend lives in Chesterfield, Va. She has a 3500 sq ft @ floor colonial house built in a nice neighborhood, 5 years ago built on a crawl. Her electric bill/ cooling bill averages 300-350 a month during average months and 500-700 a month during summer months. Yet I am in Central Virginia living in a modified rancher with 3200 sq ft built on a partial basement and my electric bill only 95-110.00 per month plus I pay 5.95 a mo for surge protection on my appliances!!! Have a surge suppressor on my meter base! Only thing I can think of is our rates must be cheaper than yours or your incomes are higher proportionately and Dom Res is making sure they rip you a new one... Think I'd be interested in a change if I were you to a area that is served by a coop electric firm... jmho.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

I have lived in a dozen states now and Dominion Power has been by far the worst power company I have ever had. I've been forced to buy backup power supplies for all major electronics and my alarm clocks are now automatically resetting because of the number of power outages. It is absurd. Just last night there were 4 times when the power went out for absolutely no reason. In the 7 years I've lived here the power has gone out on average 2 times per month. It's frankly outrageous how often the power goes out and regulators do nothing to force them to actually provide decent service.

Dominion Resources Company Information