1.25/5

Need a utility company?

Virginia

Need a utility company?

127 Dominion Resources Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 26, 2019

These utility companies recently merged and they're both terrible. I had a payment arrangement for my utility bill but left work late and they closed. They turned off my lights on a Friday of a four day weekend, in 100 degree weather! Waiting three days wouldn't have bankrupted them! Heartless!

Original review: May 9, 2019

One star is overrated. My Dominion bill is due on the fifth of the month. My bills go out from the bookkeeper on the first. If there is a weekend between the bills being sent and my bill do it well past the fifth of the month. Dominion jumps immediately on it to charge me a penalty. Even though the damn bill has been on its way on the first of the month for 25 years. This is the worst damn company to deal with. A real rock-bottom trash gas company

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I got a shutoff notice on the 15 of March. Paid it as soon as I got it. Yesterday the 25 they shut my gas off. Today I got a letter in the mail saying I have 10 days to make payment arrangements or will be shut off. When I called to see what is going on they said my payment was declined but my bank says it went through and I explained to them and told them about the letter. They said there is nothing they can do. Told me to make my complaint on this site. That the letter was sent out because of the bank not accepting the payment I said why was it shut off. They said nothing they can do.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I had an appointment scheduled for yesterday 1/23/2019. I paid the reconnection fee last week. I waited all day at home yesterday for my gas to get turned on and when I called around 3 pm they claimed that someone did show and no one answered the door. To mind you I stay in a trailer so if someone knocked I would have heard and then I was sitting by the front window all day waiting for someone to show up, and if they so called showed up they didn’t leave a notice at my front door.

Clearly someone didn’t feel like doing their job. This is ridiculous. Now I have to wait an entire week for my next appointment and I have a 9 month old and a 4 year old. And then I asked a customer service rep would if this happens at the next appointment and her response is, "Make sure you're home and answer the door." Like what type of response is that. I was home this time and person lied and said they came. I wish I had another gas company option because this company is pathetic. My advice is if you have another gas company option don’t pick them.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Dominion Virginia Energy provides no discount to longtime customers nor do they give any discount. Now that fuel prices are down shouldn't we get a lower electric bill. When oil prices were rising we were hit with "fuel surcharges" but now that fuel prices are dropping we get nothing? Amazing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dominion Resources?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I live in a duplex in a suburb of Cleveland. I came home from work Monday around 7:30 pm to find a freezing cold house and my dog shaking and whining from being so cold. Before I could let him out, my downstairs Tenant came to me and asked why the gas was turned off. I had no idea! So I call Dominion but they are closed and I can't get in touch with anyone who can tell me any useful information. I called first thing the next morning to find out that Dominion had detected a leak in THEIR line around my block, so they disconnected our gas for our safety. Understandable. So I ask them when will service be restored? They tell me that the line is repaired and I can schedule now to get reconnected.

Then they tell me the technician will be there "anytime between now and 11:59pm..." Are you kidding me??? So I call off work to stay home because we need to be present for the technician. Around 6:45 pm there was still no technician, so I called Dominion before they closed just to make sure they were still coming. The guy I talked to, Alex, says that the line still wasn't repaired yet and that the technician was scheduled to be by between 8am-12pm. I told him I already scheduled an appointment and was told the line was already repaired. Alex just said, "I don't know why they told you that, the line hasn't been repaired." So I asked him if he could see my scheduled service and he puts me on hold for 15 mins while bringing up the "notes" in my account.

When he finally comes back he says he doesn't see any requested service but assured me the technician would be out the following day between 8am-12pm. I told him I wouldn't have called off work to be home if I had never scheduled the service and was told by their rep that I needed to be home! Alex however, could not explain why someone would tell me the line was fixed and schedule me, when the line was in fact broke still... So another night, with no heat, no notice, and no confidence in any of the brain functions of anyone working at Dominion and wondering if I'm going to have to miss another day of work for nothing. So much for saving my vacation time!!! Screw Dominion, and screw Monopolies!!! I would advise everyone to RECORD ALL OF YOUR CONVERSATIONS WITH THESE PEOPLE!!! They won't remember anything and you won't have any recourse if you don't record! WE NEED TO HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Worst customer service. No phone call ahead as requested. Terrible website with misleading info because all states are on one site and when you click on your state it still gives others with different charges/info. Still no gas service after scheduling for today. Had to reschedule for next and will have to wait in the cold for up to 4 hrs for (maybe) a worker to show up before (possibly) my gas is turned on for heat. They won't even contact their own worker to confirm if anything was connected!! What a joke of a company! I'll be looking into going all electric for the home I just purchased. It was the most aggravating experience I've ever had with a utility company. They need customer service centers in the states that's being serviced!! Thank God our area's electric company is not Dominion!! I would have to consider moving to a different area they didn't service!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I moved out of my condo on June 29. Had service set up at a home for July 2. Decided against moving there due to it being unlivable so I canceled my transfer of service through Dominion’s website. I get a bill a month later thinking that it was my last bill and paid it as I normally do. I then got another bill and it got me thinking that something was not right so I called. Woman in CS told me that she saw my disconnection of service and that I would be seeing a refund in the mail.

Well a couple months later, I received more bills. I called today and was told that "I" never cancelled my transfer and (conveniently) there were no notes from the woman who stated that I would get a refund and that I am now responsible for paying over $300 for electricity I didn't use at a place I NEVER lived! I honestly have no idea how people get away with this and I know for a fact that people in customer service would be devastated if this happened to them! I hate this company!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Dominion energy is a ripoff. They bill people by estimating the meter readings when my meter was messed up not reading well. They charged me over 400 dollars. I wish I had another option of getting electricity. BS company.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Me and my wife are very conscious energy consumers. The thermostat is rarely used. The hot water as well. Our gas stove is used at most twice a week. The average bill we have never exceeded $50. For a reasons we don't know our bill jumped to $200 this month. I requested one of their usual unprofessional customer service for an explanation and couldn't get a satisfactory reply.

Original review: May 31, 2018

As a disabled retiree, I've been on equal pay with this corrupt company for several years. I also go paperless with all companies, this one included. I just got a letter telling me my bill is almost $500, this without any notice either letter or email whatsoever. They assert they informed me by email of a monthly rise in cost. I received no information of any kind from this company all along, until this, a demand for $479 or cutoff. The only appliance using gas is my water heater, with usage the same year around. I see another review below with the exact same thing happening. Something is seriously wrong with this company. We need to get media involved. This is why monopolies are supposed to be prevented.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I asked a customer service rep why is the delivery fee more that we our consumption fee. She gave me a B.S. answer that I still don't understand. Basically didn't answer my question at all. They also applied a misc charge on my bill this month. Probably not just this month, I just happen to catch it this month. When I asked what was that for, she said it was a consumption rate raise from the beginning of the year. SMH, I can't stand Dominion, they are crooks like many of these companies that have no competition.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Set up Auto pay online, then received bill for over $524.00 which was very high. Since the bill was not paid and a late fee was charged, made a payment immediately for the full balance. Dominion now is taking two payments. They refuse to cancel the second payment and is now charging me an NSF (Not Sufficient Funds) for a payment I do not owe. Customer Service Manager Michelle says that is policy and the charge is correct.

How is an NSF charge valid for money I do not owe. Their policy is across the board and have no room for logic, exceptions, common sense? Who is your CEO and who is cracking the whip that you cannot make no adjustments. Dominion is another Wells Fargo heading down a bad road. BBB needs to investigate them and also the government needs to audit Dominion Energy. They have terrible business practices and I am sure there are many more overcharges to customers. Someone please check on them. We need more competition. They are doing what they want since there is none and gives no one a break. Terrible Service. Wish I had choices.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My complaint is that I have to call Dominion service multiple times because most of their customer service representatives doesn't have any clue of what to tell me to help me understand the process of replacing the meter base in our house! They are not very helpful at all! I wish they tell me all the information I need to know right away. First, their Technician told us we need to hire a qualified electrician to see the problems and left; the only thing he told us the problem was the left jaw was bent. (As this was my first time hearing this I was dumbfounded, what was bent?)

I called their customer service representative to see if the technician put a detailed information of why he couldn't install the electric meter; the customer service representative just read what the technician wrote "line side jaw be..." The word "bent" wasn't even finished, so we (customer service rep and I) just assumed he meant bent, the customer service rep. didn't tell me anything else. As I learn about the problem by calling a few electricians, I realized there are information that Dominion customer service rep didn't relay to me. When I went to see the meter box, there was a lock, access inside the box is impossible. I called the customer service rep about the lock; I asked him how my electrician fixed the problem if he can't access the box. Oh wait, I called them first to ask if my electrician or I can open the lock, the customer rep replied that we can't open the lock. I waited if the customer rep will elaborate. Nope. Didn't elaborate.

So, now then I called again to asked them then how will my electrician fix the problem. The customer rep replied that since their service techs operations are close for the day (I guess I called after their operating hours after 5pm), then I have to call the next day. I don't want to call the next day, I need the power now, I thought to myself. The customer rep just keep saying call the service tech at their operating hours. The customer rep seemed oblivious to what my concerns are and just didn't care if I have power or not or when will I have the power back. The next day, I called back to ask what are the qualifications for the electrician (looking to see if the electrician has to work for a company etc and any other information to what else my electrician needs to do etc.) and then I have to call to verify if city inspection approval is necessary for the meter to be installed, the customer rep put me on hold for three minutes to find out the answer.

Every time I called, I have to tell them in details what was the problem! Don't they at least train their customer reps to know some of these information or at least have some basic idea about the process! The only good thing about them is at least they pick up the phone every time I have a question, but I wouldn't have wasted their time or mine if they have tell me all the information I need right beforehand!

So, to house owners that needs to replace their meter base These are the information that you need: You are responsible for the meter base, not Dominion; you have to hire a qualified electrician to replace/repair the meter base would it be the jaws/sockets that have the issues; the electrician may request for a city permit to work on your meter base; after the electrician replace/repair your meter base, he/she needs to request for a city inspector to inspect the job; the city inspector then calls the Dominion whether the job was approve or not; if approve, then you call the Dominion tech to install the electric meter. If you are not in a hurry to get your power back say you have two or three days to get it done, replacing the meter base would cost you $500 or cheaper if no other issue comes up. If you really have to have it ASAP, it would cost you about $1000 and some, but it can be done in one day, believe me.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I have had them for years and have no problems with them - when Mother Nature decides to take the electric down, they are very prompt to be out in all kinds of weather - working to restore power.

Original review: March 1, 2018

We have been with Dominion Virginia Power for over 20 yrs. Our home is all electric, which is very costly. We keep our thermostats as low as possible, and use a wood burning stove to avoid always turning the heat on. In the hot humid days of summer, we use timers on the window units, turning them on in the evenings; again, to keep the high cost of electricity down! We are located in an older neighborhood with overhead power lines. Every time there is a heavy thunderstorm, ice storms or high winds we lose power. We also are plagued with momentary power loss almost every few month, which has a negative effect on the life of our fire alarms and other battery-run appliances. I should mention though that when we experience power outages, their automated system for reporting outages is very good. Over the past few years, their response time to power loss has improved.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Dominion is very conscientious starting & keeping customers services connected. The referrals to agencies to assist with payment options is very nice especially the Customer Service Center. They're very polite.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

After the Derecho 5+ yrs ago, we were out of power in our area for 4+ days. Dominion Power had 24/7 emergency teams trucked in from as far away as Texas to bring our area back up. Our area is notorious for losing power with just a sneeze, and Dominion Power has been working on improving the area.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have always received excellent service. When there is severe weather conditions, and I lose power, it is usually restored very quickly. However, I am concerned about the proposed pipeline.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Terrible hours, for something so important such as gas (esp during winter). Terrible, could care less attitude customer service. Wish there were more options for gas. We built a new house and are new to setting up ALL these utilities and companies. Made a honest mistake of forgetting to call Dominion whatever it is called. They said they attempted to contact us!? He knocked and ran to his truck got his stuff and turned it off (We weren't home. Have ring and saw how fast he was and attempted to talk to him through ring, he ignored our 3 attempts). Called them right away after realizing what was going on. Called Friday around 12pm. They said it was too late and it will be shut off till Monday. MONDAY. It's February, we have children. They don't care. They said the guy won't come back (even though he was still in front of our house) and take off the lock. It was pathetic and sad how lazy and how much they lack sympathy.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We are the odd extremely conscious energy users; our thermostat is rarely on at all (and set at 66 it is), my wife and I take our showers at the gym, and our gas stove is used at most once a week. In over 2 yrs at a our current residence we have never had a gas bill exceeding $50. This winter has been unusually warm so gas consumption should logically be down, dramatically so. Yet, we got our gas bill this morning and it is $140. We talked to a neighbor and a family member who lives in the area, their bill is also exponentially higher than it has ever been. Something is clearly going on with Dominion Energy.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Dominion Energy bought out Questar in Utah. After it happened I received a bill stating that my balance was $0. I called to question my bill. I was told that it was correct. The next month I received a bill which said my balance was $0. Again I called and to question and was told it was correct. Last month my $60 bill with Questar turned into $117. This month my bill is $175. Excuse me? This company is doing nothing but ripping people off. Something is definitely wrong with their billing practice. I'm having an attorney look into the issue. This screams class action.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Worst customer service ever. So you get that automated call saying you're late making payment. You need to make a payment before a due date that they set before you get cut off. Okay, fine. The date they set is always a day or two before you get paid. Never fail. Called customer and say, "I can't pay you on the 6th but I can pay you on the 9th in full. That is my payday. Can we do this instead?" "No. It has to be paid on the date given." I asked for a supervisor whom might can override this for a 3 day extension. Remember, I'm calling to pay on my bill. I'm told their computers are set and lock and no one can make any changes once you are given that payment arrangement date. That is so much bull. You can smell that from California.

Then I offer to pay 80% of the bill with promise of paying the remainder 3 days later. I'm told, "No." This is so frustrating and stressful. I'm trying to pay you the money owed but you don't want it cause I have to give it to you on your terms which isn't doing the customer no favors but yet this company is the first one in a commercial to say, "we're here to serve you". This company makes more than enough to loosen your panties a little to help the citizens who is making you dirty rich. What you need is competition.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I've just received my power bill January the 25th of 2018. I am not happy with their new charges. Dominion has monopolized on electricity and power throughout the state of Virginia. My bill is $297.30 due February 16th. My previous bill was Received on December 26 of 2017 which the due date was January the 18th 2018 of $194.65. I paid that of course. I also paid a extra 5 cent to the bill which it made it $194.70 So on this month then I received the bill January to 25th 2018. The due date for this bill is February the 16th 2018 so do the math from the bill. On January the 18th of 2018 to February the 16th 2018 that's only 29 days so I Receive a bill from Dominion every 11 days out of the year.

There's 365 days out of the year. Divide that by 11. It will give you 33. So I'm Receiving 33 dominion bills out of 12 months out of the year where you could do it this way. 2 bills in one month times 12 Because that's how many months are in a year Equals 24 bills From dominion I'm receiving and one year of time Adding the extra fees because it's winner is not the customer's problem. Do not blame it on the customer's heat and air units or Energy saving products to buy. I am not one happy customer. If there was another energy company that would provide Electricity for my household and family I would choose them but there's not. There's only 1 Dominion the monopoly of electric.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I paid my bill before the due date, but it was returned back to me, because of that they charge me 12$. Just because the payment didn't go through, it's ridiculous, I never seen something like this before, I asked them to take off that fee, the supervisor said she can't do anything about that.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I paid my bills and Dominion turn off my electric anyway. I call Dominion after making the payment and two woman I talk to did not give a rats of what I said to them. They told me to call 211 which is just the way of saying take hike. I paid $300 dollars cash and that should be enough to not turn my electric off. They don't care!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

This company is a perfect example of no customer support. I would be hard pressed to think of a company any worse! This is the problem when consumers don't have choices and are forced to choose only one provider, companies then take advantage of consumers. There was a technical outage in my building. The power went off in the morning on a weekend when we had a party scheduled all day. Called and spoke with a supervisor who told me power wouldn't be restored until 11pm. She then explained to me there is nothing they could do to compensate for ruining our event. Not $5 nothing... how poor! She then explained maybe they could do something after 6 days with no service and even then they can't guarantee anything... what a joke! This company is the worst I have ever seen! Virginia get a clue and get this monopolistic out... we need choices!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

My daughter was rushed by ambulance a few weeks back and since then been at 3 different hospitals! She is being sent to see the Chief of Staff on ENT in Washington, D.C.this week! Once I was home longer than 5 min among a pile of mail I found a disconnect notice from Dominion VA power for over $1,000.00. I called them right away and all they could do was tell me to dial 211! The disconnect is less than 24 hours away! I am a single mom of 3 children and don't work due to my own medical issues! Dominion power has been paid by me a total of almost $2,000.00 since June 27, 2017. I can barely afford to keep food in the house! After calling 211 I set up an appointment with United Way and Salvation Army for assistance. I have to get someone to watch over my sick child while I meet with these agencies first thing in the morning!

They told me to call Dominion back and let them know so that way power won't be shut off for a couple hours on a sick child! I wasn't asking for a payment plan or an extension just a couple of hours and they said NO! The reason is their computer won't let them! Have we as humans gotten so lazy we can't pick up a phone and ask a technician to hold off for a couple of hours for a sick child so a bill can be taken care of? A computer doesn't recognize the human body but people do! Dominion VA Power has lost all humanity for human life as long as they collect their money! I am sure a few hours was not going to put them into national debt! Their lack of care and concern for a human is appalling and they disgust me as a company and as another US citizen! I hope that they are never in a situation where one of their own children is in a time of need and no one will listen! GOD HELP THEM!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Every customer service representative is very rude, disrespectful, doesn't show any hospitality towards anyone, they will not waive any fees. They will put you on hold and let you stay on hold for almost a half hour. They have Forever lost a loyal customer that pays in full on time every month!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

Extremely rude, unethical, and literally robs you of everything you have. Dominion has damn near caused me to lose my home and be homeless due to a $600 bill with unexplained charges. That is the exact amount my rent is. I have called every day for the last month with no answers and saying they will "credit" my bill for the current month. All they did was credit my bill and then forward the amount they credited back onto my next bill. My heart is broken and I have been so stressed out that I just don't care. Thanks Dominion for taking my home from me in order to keep my lights on. How can these people live with themselves?

Dominion Resources Company Information