1.29/5
Need a utility company?

Arizona

Last updated: May 21, 2018

98 Arizona Public Service Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

I've never had my power turned off and got a delinquent notice of a pending disconnect. For a 300.00 deposit... I paid the bill in full but someone noticed I was a week late a time or two and decided I need to pay a 300.00 deposit. I called and talked to several people but it went nowhere. I’m disappointed in APS because I’ve always been someone who pays their bill and I hate them now. They treat me like **.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I have lived in my current home for over 16 years and have always had APS service. I have never had my power turned off and always paid my bill in full every month. However, my recent bill included a $400 deposit, right before summer! After going over my so-called delinquencies with a rep, I had three payments 1-2 days past their "delinquent" date. Ridiculous policies! Heavy-handed deposit requirements and unfairly high rates. APS execs need to manage their business better so they don't have to stick it to customers to increase revenues! BTW, SRP only charges a deposit if a service is disconnected. These monopolies must go!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2018

So it turns out I was late twice paying my bill within a 12 month period. Not because I could not pay, but because I didn't realize I passed the due date. I pay my bill regardless every time and if there was a late fee for those times I was late, I would pay it. Fast Forward to this months bill and it comes for very close to 500 dollars. I call APS up to see what is up with the high bill because I know for a fact, I was nowhere near that much electrical use for that month. They told me that since I was late twice within a 12 month period, they now require a deposit of 300 dollars on top of my bill because I was considered a "liability".

I was obviously upset and complained but they said they could not waive the fee, they could only break it down in installment payments. They also told me I would receive my money back after 12 month. For this I give APS 1 star for their terrible policies. I have been a homeowner for 4 years now and of course can't switch companies because they have a Monopoly in my area which is why they can do whatever they want! APS sucks!

Original review: May 12, 2018

I was very grateful for the budget billing service and having the same monthly payment each month, until there were undisclosed terms for budget billing. I was supposed to pay $180 per M to cover electricity for 2 people living in a 700 sq ft apartment. We canceled service after a year lease was up and was given a $700+ electricity bill at the end saying we had to pay for all the used electric. If this was the cause I would have never signed up for the budget billing and paid the monthly amount due (the end payment was NEVER) explained only the benefits of budget billing. It is definitely false advertising when they only give you particular information and the data online doesn’t state that full bill will be due at canceling. It is a horrible money ran electricity company’s and SRP needs to cover more territory.

Original review: May 3, 2018 In July of 2014 sold our house in Scottsdale and canceled service, were told new owner had requested service. Then in October we get a bill for 3 months of service because APS says we never canceled. What about the new owner having his own account at same meter? No, no record of that or refuse to discuss it.

So after being gone from state until this week we request service in Casa Grande and were told pay up $343 from the Scottsdale home or no service. When I asked for them to check that meter was owned by someone else during that period they are charging me for they refused, can't do it. Clearly, a very dishonest power company. So sorry we have to deal with them again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Arizona Public Service?

Original review: April 17, 2018

We have lived in Arizona almost 4 years now. We have had APS the entire time. Every single year there is an increase in service charges. Now they've changed the Saver Choice plan from 12-7 on peak to 3-8 with demand charges. The way they price gouge for service is ridiculous. We've never lived in a state where power is like this. We've heard solar isn't much better cause you still get an APS bill! It's ridiculous it's allowed to keep going like this. If we would of known how APS was we would of searched for a house that was zoned for SRP!

Original review: April 11, 2018

Absolutely ridiculous. While sleeping, someone starts banging on the door like a mad-man, why he didn’t use the damn doorbell is beyond me. Answer the door and this guy is screaming at us for not paying our bill and saying he is there to shut it off. For some reason he says he will give us until the end of the day to pay it. 15 minutes later he comes back says, “They said I need to turn off your electricity now. If you can’t pay right now, I’m shutting it off”. So we ask how much we are owing to be threatened like this... He says “$52 dollars”... FIFTY-TWO DOLLARS that is THREE DAYS LATE and they are at our door BANGING and THREATENING to shut it off. Unbelievable.

Pay day is TOMORROW so we were waiting for tomorrow to pay. Instead I use the money I need for gas today to be able to get to school, to pay the dumb bill of $52. God forbid they don’t receive their $52 bucks. I switched to solar because no matter WHAT I did, the bill kept getting higher and higher, now I pay solar and only pay APS a base price for being on the grid. Absolutely ridiculous. $52. I’m totally dumbfounded at this point.

Original review: April 9, 2018

First off, the prices are about 250% higher than SRP for the same electrical usage due to all the base charges. I could have my breakers open for the entire month and it would still cost about $80. Secondly, the data presented on the website and bill are not correlated with the Saver Choice and Saver Choice plans. I don't know if this is just a huge mistake or intentional criminal obfuscation. I informed the company today, 9APR18, of four different categories of bad data: service time-frame definitions, peak bar chart data, plan details table, as well as the daily and hourly usage charts (daily usage and detailed usage). The data provided on all of these areas do not correlate properly with the plan specifics given to me over the phone, nor with each other.

Original review: March 7, 2018

My complaint is last year. I was late 3 times, and had to pay a late fee (fair enough) then I get a notice with a different account number stating I owed $135, when I called they tell me it's a security deposit, this was paid 2/20/2017, I told them on 2/20/2018 I want my $ back, but no I have to wait 2 years! Why can they pay me back late and get away with it, but if I am late I have to pay a late fee and a punishment fee (it is a punishment fee. Don't care what they call it)?

Original review: March 2, 2018

My issue with APS, is that no matter how little electricity I use and how much my kilowatts go down from month to month, my freaking bill is outrageous and just keeps getting higher. My hubby and I are both on disability social security and we can't afford our utility bill.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

APS Rate hike 2018 - Only have had APS for approximately 3 years. Went onto the equal payment program... this past year, my monthly cost was about 145. At the end of 2017, my monthly payment was changed to approximately 175. per month... total rise in annual cost $360.00. Way over average % they indicated. I'm seeking details on how they raised my costs by 20%. My account number with them is **.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Arizona Public Service just got another rate hike. The cost escalates while consumers struggle. Salt River Project is much better service provider but areas are not crossed. We are stuck with APS. So there is no choice.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I have lived in Prescott Valley, AZ, and have been a customer of APS for 21 years. Like many other people across the nation I have gone through a lot of major life changes over the years and have been struggling to stay in the black. Consequently, when I receive a bill that is 2.5 times more than normal, my first response was there was an honest mistake and they need to double check the meter reading. Then, upon further checking, come to find out they are charging me a "security deposit" due to "being delinquent with two or more bills within a consecutive 12-month period…" Turns out delinquent to APS means anything past the due date, no grace time given, period. Checking with the Arizona Corporation Commission, their guidelines for deposits state "late paying your bill three or more times within a 12-consecutive month period..." See R14-2-203B5.

The ACC also states that the deposit will normally be refunded to you after 12 consecutive months of payments on time or when you discontinue service. But how many people will remember to ask for it back? Also, I don't remember receiving any prior notice that grace periods have changed or been deleted altogether. Nor any notice of the company instituting security deposits from longtime customers! In my opinion, APS has become a bully in the market and needs some healthy utility service competition to reset its attitude toward consumers.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

During the year 2017 we had many financial hardships and 2 times paid late. Never had our power turned off. January 2018 I got an 800 dollar bill because they decided to charge a nearly 600 dollar deposit due to late payments. I don't see how adding crazy charges to people that are already struggling is going to help anyone.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Have had APS accounts for years. Recently I initiated service and shortly thereafter, someone else called for service "accidentally" using my unit # for the billing. APS removed the service from my name without so much as a verification phone call or email alerting me of this. When I called APS I was told that I have a new account #. The Rep gave me the wrong new acct # and so when I called in to try to pay my bill there was no record of it. I still don't have a bill and was told it may be mid-January before this is straightened out. I cannot add this account to my APS online profile. Additionally, I experienced long wait times when calling and this is at 7 am in the morning! I have had good experience in the past with APS but I feel they are really deteriorating both in terms of customer service and having safeguards in place so that someone cannot just call in and mess up your account!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

In August of this year, I changed my bill paying system and through an error 100% on my part missed my August payment. the next month (September) when I realized the mistake I took immediate action and corrected it. As you can imagine these were very heavy use months and the combined bill for both months was over $900. I did not ask for assistance, I did not call and ask to have any fees waived or to make a payment arrangement. Due to the error being my fault and therefore my responsibility to correct I made several payments over the next couple months to bring the balance current. In doing so I had to break the payments into $300-$400 pieces. Apparently, my September payment was technically late, but only by a few days, never anywhere near 30. I never received a disconnect notice, and by October 30th had brought the account current. Then in December, I received a $850 bill.

When I called to inquire about it, they explained that they had recently changed their policies and that anyone with 2 or more late payments in a calendar year had to pay a deposit of 2.5 times their average bill. After asking for a supervisor I spent an hour on hold and being transferred to the wrong people I was told in essence: "We see you have been a customer for 4+ years without a problem. We know this puts a hardship on you. You are not the only one of our customers we have both surprised and hurt with this change. WE DON'T CARE. Your choices are, move into SRP territory, pay it, or go without electricity. Hurry and make your decision, I have a lot of other people on hold behind you waiting to hear this message."

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

The majority of info that I am listing here, I already shared months ago with APS via an APS survey regarding their website. I feel if APS had a professional and easy to use website that was fully integrated with their billing, new-current-previous accounts, and customer service departments some of their problems with us, their customers would be corrected. I would have communicated this via their site but I could not find where to do that. With the older and now the newer website design you continue to seem to go in circles without getting the information, data or contacts/dept that you want. It is very unprofessional, time-consuming, frustrating and I feel disrespectful to the customer/client base.

Example: this morning for the first time I got an email from APS titled: "Your bill is ready to view." I thought that is great. I opened the email that had five-link options none of the options were: "View your bill". The 1st tab link is "Pay my Bill" which when you press it - it states what is currently due with payment options ie bank, credit card etc but no option of viewing your bill, which I find important to View my bill, see my usage and I like to keep a % of credit on my account.

The 2nd tab link "My usage" when you press it - it states daily & hourly usage with the previous month's information including view your bill (but it is last month's bill) not the current month's. 3rd tab link - Download the "APS APP" for your phone. 4th link - "Payment arrangements". 5th link - "My account" which takes you to 15 misc link options (none of which are "View your Current Bill").

So since none of those links allowed me to "View my bill"; I went to the top ruler and pressed "my account" and it still has last month's November bill and the November data listed to view. On this 7th day of December, I guess I will have to take the time every few days to check back to the APS website to try to see if Arizona's largest and longest-serving electric company has posted the current statements for their 1.2M customers to view. Then I can try to find my bill within their site in order to view it and pay it.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

This trash garbage excuse for a power company will do anything they can to rape you out of every cent they can get. They tell you everything is fine and dandy and your services are shut off and then proceed to charge you another $200 5 months after you move across the country. The people who work the phones are absolutely rude and incompetent. They might as well hire apes that answer the phone and say no I refuse to DO MY JOB and help a customer. Instead I'll create bogus charges, never send you a bill and then TACK ON LATE FEES WHEN YOU NEVER EVEN RECEIVED A BILL. APES ** YOU AND YOUR MONEY HUNGRY CORPORATION!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

APS have to idea with what their cost are!!! They are going to leave people homeless because on top of what they are charging you not even been in your place is crazy! They want a deposit of almost $300 for being late! I wish there is another company that helps their customers more!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

It is unfair that they try to charge Deposit for having more than 4 houses even when credit letter is excellent. Their guidelines prevent business owners to conduct business, we have to waste money and time dealing with this BANDIDOS, APS IS a monopoly and there is no choice but deal with incompetent customer service reps. APS and the state of ARIZONA should be ashamed.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I have lived in Arizona going on a year now. Never in my 45 years of living in NY have I been ripped off by my utility company. I had called APS well over 2 months ago complaining about my broken meter. They lied to me and said that day someone would be at my residence to fix my meter. My bills are out of control. Every month my bill keeps going up which I had also questioned them. "How are you coming up with any reading if my meter is broken." They answered me very rudely and said "that's what we have read" and to pay my bill immediately or they will shut off my electric.

First of all I told them, "you sent me a bill with an estimated reading for June while my meter is broken" and then in July it said actual meter reading for June which had the same amount as their estimated reading. They must be psychics because I have never heard of no such thing!!! It's now end of September going to be October soon and my meter is still broken. What kind of electric company runs this way??? I have also emailed my complaint to them. What do I have to do to get my meter fixed and I know I've been getting ripped off by them!!! Who's going to stop this company from ignoring their customers!!! I will get a lawyer if my situation is not resolved within the next week!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

So I am a new APS customer. I tried to do Autopay and thought it would be taken care of without me writing a check. Ha Ha. They didn't debit the account so sent me a bill saying they would debit TWO months next time. OK. Fine. Only they didn't. They shut off the power instead. And said they put a "door hanger" warning me of shutoff. NEVER GOT IT. So, power went off while workmen were putting in a floor. Had to go to Walmart, pay APS because there is NO office here. Nasty customer service. Said I wanted to appeal the shutoff fee. Well guess what? The fee, $27.70, appears on the next bill. Not my fault. It's theirs, but I have to pay or they charge a late fee, or a shutoff fee, or some other dumb charge. So I canceled Autopay. Guess what? This month's bill says, "We will debit your account". I am certain if I write a check they will also debit the bank anyway. You cannot win with APS.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

This is a huge company that has monopolized entire region. Most of us are forced to use this company with dishonest business practices. We have never been late, accidentally missed sending payment in so go online to pay, won't even let us pay amount because there is now an extra $500.00 DUE!? (Bill due 8/11) and mind you we are barely 2 weeks late and they are making us pay them an extra 500.00 when they gave us no notice of there being a late payment or a fee... we have had so many awful experiences with them, truly an evil company and would give our business to anyone before them. Please Arizona give consumers options!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

There are 2 sections in our apartment complex with 2 different addresses. I have lived here for 14 years. A resident in the other section of the complex put my address when turning on her APS... (Found this out later). I came home from work one day and my electricity had been turned off. This was in August in Arizona and my 3 dogs had been in the house ALL day without air. I had been paying extra on my bills so I knew for sure that I had a credit. My apartment manager called APS with me sitting there and basically they said 'OOPS, we made a mistake.'

The representative actually told me it was MY fault because I should have paid attention after I hadn't received a bill for that month. I never got an apology and she actually said 'Well, at least we won't charge you for the reconnection fee because it wasn't your fault.' ARE YOU SERIOUS!!? So with a $60 credit I just received 3 bills: $129, $325 and $380... This is for a 1 bedroom 800 sq foot and for 2 months of service... So if someone wants to use your address to turn on their APS, then your service will get shut off when they don't pay the bill??? I WANT TO SUE!!! How do I do that when they are my only option?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

The billing itself is very questionable. I have filed multiple complaints with the corporate commission only to FINALLY get some help from someone to re-adjust my bill (they know it's possible but they won't do it for you until you escalate it). BUT that doesn't solve the problem itself; APS is scamming customers every month with its ridiculous service fees. How are you going to charge a service fee on top of a meter fee and a meter reading fees (IS THAT NOT PART OF YOUR SERVICE FEE?). This is the first time in my life living in Arizona, where I have had to utilize APS and dear god, I wish I never moved. I regret my decision.

My bill every month is literally just their fees. My electric usage is way less than what they charge me just for being their customer. Every time I call, I always get the same answer from CSR, "We can't help you." I got on the discount program, a whopping $30 discount (doesn't even cover their service charge which is $60). If there was a way to switch, that would have been done already. GTFO out APS grids. DO NOT make the unfortunate mistake of moving into an APS area.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Of course when you face a business that has a monopoly over an area, your choices are pay or pound sand. That's the case with Arizona Public Service. I have a 1300 Sqft home and I USED to live in a 1300 sqft apartment with SRP. Highest bill I EVER had with SRP was about 90 bucks. The last two months I've owed APS 700 dollars collectively. What. The. Hell. I PRAY SRP somehow reached my neighborhood. I'm considering going stone age or buying a flipping generator for my house that I'll GLADLY Crank for hours, just to avoid this company's exuberant charges. Crazy. If you can choose between APS and SRP, Go with SRP. APS is a joke and they don't give two **.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I lived previously on the East Coast NY and VA. Never paid so much in electric bills until I came to AZ. (Understand summer heat). I do think APS is just charging rates and additional charges that is unrealistic. Why billed for all these charges:

Customer account charge, Delivery service charge, Demand charge on-peak - delivery, Environmental benefits surcharge, Federal environmental improvement surcharge, System benefits adjustment, System benefits charge, Power supply adjustment, Metering, Meter reading, Billing, Generation of electricity on-peak, Generation of electricity off-peak, Demand charge on-peak - generation, Federal transmission and ancillary services, Federal transmission cost adjustment, Four-Corners adjustment, LFCR adjuster. And now taxes and fees -- Regulatory assessment, State sales tax, County sales tax, City sales tax and Franchise fee. One more - Service establishment charge. Welcome to AZ. Who says the cost of electricity in USA is reasonable...

Original review: July 15, 2017

Over the years, as a homeowner in the same residence for 22 years and the owner of several commercial buildings, I've had the misfortune of having to use APS as my utility provider. My latest encounter with the monopoly was with my personal utility bill. I have been on the equalizer program for several years. I recently installed two new super-efficient AC heat pumps, which dramatically lowered my bills. I asked APS to adjust my equalizer payment but they only do that after many months of experience, so they refused to do it in advance. Over the period of 4 or 5 months, I built up a credit of nearly $2,000 at which point I called and asked for an adjustment to the payment, which, of course, they refused to do. I asked them to apply the credit to the current month so I didn't have to pay and was told they would do so. I asked my bank to suspend that month's payment. I did the same the next month at which point I received a disconnect warning.

Remember, at this point, they still have over $1,000 of my money and I've never paid late in at least a decade. They refused to use the credit, saying it was needed for the equalizer. They refused to change the equalizer payment. So, in order to use the credit, I had to cancel the equalizer. They charged my account a $25.00 late fee for having over $1,000 in credit. I'm not making this up. Now, I can't go on equalizer for 12 months, since I cancelled it. I swear to God that the hour, not the day, that any other utility, regardless of the cost of electricity, becomes available to serve my address, I'm switching. I truly hate the apathy of APS and the idiocy of their policies. Any other business with the attitude would be out of business by now. I'm getting quotes for solar now and hope to make them buy from me soon. APS is quite truly the worst utility provider on the face of planet Earth.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Opened an account about 30 days ago. Never received a bill, but instead received a Shut Office Notice. I spent hours on telephone on hold and all they did is charged me $600 and promised me that they would start sending bills. Who knows if they are telling the truth. I've had electric service in about half a dozen major cities across the country, but have never experience anything like this. Worse than any third world country.

Original review: July 13, 2017

So my electricity bill is $404. But over half of that is FEES. I don't understand why there is no other power companies that I can switch to in Phoenix. It's APS or nothing. Solar is not the answer because you're still connected to the grid - and that grid is APS - so the FEES are still there. I don't have Solar, but I would not be surprised one bit if APS billed people with Solar ADDITIONAL Fees for using Solar. So just to prove I'm not crazy, here are the numbers from my last APS bill. I did round out the numbers to keep it simple.

Customer Account Charge - $8 - OK - That sounds fair - gotta cover operating costs. Delivery Service Charge = $60 - I would think that is part of the core service APS provides. Demand Delivery Charge = $23 - Really! All the power is DELIVERED over the same lines. Environmental Benefits Charge = $12 - For what - that APS's cost of doing business. Federal Environment Improvement Charge = $1 - And a Charge for a Charge??? Systems Benefit Charge = $12 - What are System Benefits... The delivery of Power I PAY For?

Metering Fee = $6 - OK - Wouldn't Metering the power be part of THEIR cost as a business? Meter Reading Fee = $2 - Wouldn't the Meter fee cover the Reading of it? Billing Fee = $2 - I thought my Customer Account fee would cover the billing? Generation ON PEAK POWER = $36 - OK - That's the power I used - Agree. Generation OFF PEAK POWER = $82 - OK - That's the power I used - Agree. Demand Charge On Peak POWER = $45 - OK - That's the power I used on my plan - Agree.

Federal Transmission & Ancillary Services - $22 - What's this... Thought I already paid a Delivery Fee. Federal Transmission Cost Adjustment = $38 - So the FIRST Fed Trans Ancil fee wasn't enough?? Four-Corners Adjustment Fee - $6 - Whats this??? Four corners of what? LFCR Adjustor Fee = $8 - Huh??? Regulatory Assessment Fee = $1 - Assessing what? State Sales TAX = $20 - OK - Guess ya gotta pay tax. County Sales Tax = $3. City Sales Tax = $10 - Franchise Fee = $7. TOTALS!! Total Bill = $404. Total Fees = $201 - Unbelievable! Total Tax = $40. Total Cost to generate power = $163.

Just for fun. How a $2 Big Mac becomes a $4.90 Big Mac. Customer Account Charge - $.50 - For me walking into McDonalds & being a customer. Delivery Service Charge = $.25 - For having to bring the Big Mac to the counter so I can HAVE it. Demand Delivery Charge = $.25 - For having to bring the Big Mac to the counter because I ORDERED it. Environmental Benefits Charge = $.25 - Because McDonalds decided to be environmentally conscious. Federal Environment Improvement Charge = $.10 - For McDonalds deciding to be environmentally conscious. Systems Benefit Charge = $.25 - For me being able to order a Big Mac.

Metering Fee = $.25 - Because they have to count the Big Macs they bring to the counter. Meter Reading Fee = $.10 - Because someone at McDonalds will then have to read the Big Mac Count. Billing Fee = $.10 - The cashier ringing my order up on the register. Generation OFF PEAK POWER = $.75 - Making my Big Mac. Generation ON PEAK POWER = $.75 - Having to make my Big Mac during the Lunch time rush. Demand Charge On Peak POWER = $.50 - Because I ordered a Big Mac during the lunch time rush.

Federal Transmission & Ancillary Services - $.25 - Fee for providing parking & the seating inside. Federal Transmission Cost Adjustment = $.25 - Additional fees for the door I open to get in & the Bathrooms. Four-Corners Adjustment Fee - $.10 - For wrapping the Big Mac & putting it under the heatlamp. LFCR Adjustor Fee = $.25 - just an extra fee because they can.

Arizona Public Service Company Information