1.23/5
Based on 32 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

Arizona

105 Arizona Public Service Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 21, 2018

On July 19, 2018 my electricity was shut off, yes that's my bad! Well I paid the bill in my lunch break at 12 pm. I called and gave them all the necessary information - I even email pictures of the receipts and I was told 2 hours. I had 2 minor children at home and I have to use a bipap at night to sleep and when I returned home at 5pm there was no electricity still. I call APS and received the run around, was told the same thing again I explained the receipt and email and went all night and til 7pm on July 20, 2018 and 3 more phone calls to get my electricity turned back on. Yes, I took the minors out of the house as it was 90+ degrees inside the house but, I had to sleep there with my pets. Very unprofessional. I received no letters, door hangers, phone calls, texts or emails as to my electricity being turned off. And I know I'm responsible for paying my bills but... 36 hours to turn it on? Really???

Original review: July 20, 2018

My elderly cousin lives in Yuma. He wanted to sign up for the APS Solar Community Program. He could not use the website because he had forgotten his password and APS does not have his current email address. He cannot update the email because he cannot recall his password. Cannot update the password because APS has an old email address for him. There is no longer an APS office in Yuma. He tried calling the ** number but he is very hard of hearing and could not understand the choices etc. He wrote me a letter asking me to help. I tried. I asked Jessica at APS to please call him and help him update the information.

She refused informing me that APS does not have time for this. I spoke to the supervisor, Chris who promised to phone my cousin to assist. I correspond with my cousin on Facebook but do not have his phone number -- only address, acct.# personal ID number, etc. "Security" was cited as the reason APS cannot help elderly or disabled people. Of course -- any 12 year old could hack into anything. I was just a person trying to assist an elderly relative. I do not yet know if Chris ever bothered to call my cousin. Callous and uncaring -- my impression of APS.

Arizona Public Service Reviews (Updated May 2018) | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 12, 2018

We recently moved and now we have APS. Before we had SRP and loved them. They were always very understanding when I couldn't pay my bill on time and would tell them when I get paid we would pay. We got our first APS bill and we got our bill late due to the post office not delivering our mail to our new address for a month. When they finally delivered our mail I saw that the bill was due on July 5th. We got paid June 30th. Paid our mortgage and other bills that we could. Tried calling them one day and they couldn't talk to me as I wasn't on the account and that my husband would have to call. He called and asked if he could pay the bill next Thursday and they told us nope we can't since it's a brand new account. They said they might turn off our power next Tuesday or Wed and I get paid at 10 pm on Wed night so was going to pay it then but nope they wouldn't or can't wait. With SRP I had no problems at all.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I called APS to transfer the utility account to my business. The lady was very nice and explained that there will be a security deposit of 7200 dollars. I asked if it would be possible to use a surety bond insurance and her answer was yes. I purchased the bond and after they received it they said that they cannot accept the bond because it's address specific. At no point was I explained that BEFORE the bond was issued. Now I am missing the connection date, a new bond needs to be issued and of course new FedEx charges will be involved. Very disappointed and frustrated!

Original review: June 27, 2018

Power shut off - APS is an absolute disgrace to America. I have had APS for about 5 years now. Payments always made on time, never requested a security deposit upon starting service. One month I receive my bill and opened it up to a $650 due payment! Looking into the bill I was charged on random a $450 security deposit for "2 late payments". After reviewing all of my bills for the past 12 months I have never been late once and never assessed a "late payment" and then they randomly add an additional $450 deposit right before the summer time. Let me say today is 108 degrees outside and I have a 3 year old and a 5 month old at home so now my poor family has to sit in a non air conditioned house with no electricity for some BS deposit.

After calling and talking to a supervisor all they were able to do is split the deposit in 3 in order to restore my electric!! Really for what reason. I will be contacting 3 On Your Side as well as an attorney to have this company punished for not only doing this to my family but thousands of other families in AZ. APS needs to be shut down and a new electric company needs to step in to clean up their BS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Arizona Public Service?

Original review: June 22, 2018

I have never EVER had my APS account shut off. I initially moved to Arizona back in 2011 with OUTSTANDING CREDIT 700+ score. I was told back then they will need to do a credit check, no problem. I was shocked to find out I had to pay a security deposit. I paid and went on about my business. Now years later and never a shutoff. I get a bill requesting a $300 deposit right before summer!!! I was told because made some late payments. Why offer customers payment arrangements/extensions when you're gonna punish them!? WHERE and WHAT are you guys doing with my security deposit money!? WHERE IS IT!?

This is flat out MONOPOLY and I have contacted Arizona commission board and nothing was ever done about it. They offered me to pay out the deposit, but next bill was a CUT OFF notice pay all in full. Needless to say had to make late payments on other stuff just to keep the MONOPOLY off my back in the SUMMER TIME!!! This place would be out of business quick as ** if there was any competition in West Arizona. This company need to be seriously investigated for fraud or theft to its consumers. I am sure they probably are paying off the Arizona politicians though...

Original review: June 21, 2018

I paid on time since I started with these thieves. I received a Bill with an additional $300 deposit. When explaining I never paid late they said I did 6x. I refused to pay the $300 for 5 months and they say I paid late 2x. A nice way to raise money for this RIPOFF of a company. It's a monopoly to allow ONE ELECTRIC company to control and screw its customers. A complete scam and should be shut down!!!

Original review: May 21, 2018

I've never had my power turned off and got a delinquent notice of a pending disconnect. For a 300.00 deposit... I paid the bill in full but someone noticed I was a week late a time or two and decided I need to pay a 300.00 deposit. I called and talked to several people but it went nowhere. I’m disappointed in APS because I’ve always been someone who pays their bill and I hate them now. They treat me like **.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I have lived in my current home for over 16 years and have always had APS service. I have never had my power turned off and always paid my bill in full every month. However, my recent bill included a $400 deposit, right before summer! After going over my so-called delinquencies with a rep, I had three payments 1-2 days past their "delinquent" date. Ridiculous policies! Heavy-handed deposit requirements and unfairly high rates. APS execs need to manage their business better so they don't have to stick it to customers to increase revenues! BTW, SRP only charges a deposit if a service is disconnected. These monopolies must go!

Original review: May 15, 2018

So it turns out I was late twice paying my bill within a 12 month period. Not because I could not pay, but because I didn't realize I passed the due date. I pay my bill regardless every time and if there was a late fee for those times I was late, I would pay it. Fast Forward to this months bill and it comes for very close to 500 dollars. I call APS up to see what is up with the high bill because I know for a fact, I was nowhere near that much electrical use for that month. They told me that since I was late twice within a 12 month period, they now require a deposit of 300 dollars on top of my bill because I was considered a "liability".

I was obviously upset and complained but they said they could not waive the fee, they could only break it down in installment payments. They also told me I would receive my money back after 12 month. For this I give APS 1 star for their terrible policies. I have been a homeowner for 4 years now and of course can't switch companies because they have a Monopoly in my area which is why they can do whatever they want! APS sucks!

Original review: May 12, 2018

I was very grateful for the budget billing service and having the same monthly payment each month, until there were undisclosed terms for budget billing. I was supposed to pay $180 per M to cover electricity for 2 people living in a 700 sq ft apartment. We canceled service after a year lease was up and was given a $700+ electricity bill at the end saying we had to pay for all the used electric. If this was the cause I would have never signed up for the budget billing and paid the monthly amount due (the end payment was NEVER) explained only the benefits of budget billing. It is definitely false advertising when they only give you particular information and the data online doesn’t state that full bill will be due at canceling. It is a horrible money ran electricity company’s and SRP needs to cover more territory.

Original review: May 3, 2018 In July of 2014 sold our house in Scottsdale and canceled service, were told new owner had requested service. Then in October we get a bill for 3 months of service because APS says we never canceled. What about the new owner having his own account at same meter? No, no record of that or refuse to discuss it.

So after being gone from state until this week we request service in Casa Grande and were told pay up $343 from the Scottsdale home or no service. When I asked for them to check that meter was owned by someone else during that period they are charging me for they refused, can't do it. Clearly, a very dishonest power company. So sorry we have to deal with them again!

Original review: April 17, 2018

We have lived in Arizona almost 4 years now. We have had APS the entire time. Every single year there is an increase in service charges. Now they've changed the Saver Choice plan from 12-7 on peak to 3-8 with demand charges. The way they price gouge for service is ridiculous. We've never lived in a state where power is like this. We've heard solar isn't much better cause you still get an APS bill! It's ridiculous it's allowed to keep going like this. If we would of known how APS was we would of searched for a house that was zoned for SRP!

Original review: April 11, 2018

Absolutely ridiculous. While sleeping, someone starts banging on the door like a mad-man, why he didn’t use the damn doorbell is beyond me. Answer the door and this guy is screaming at us for not paying our bill and saying he is there to shut it off. For some reason he says he will give us until the end of the day to pay it. 15 minutes later he comes back says, “They said I need to turn off your electricity now. If you can’t pay right now, I’m shutting it off”. So we ask how much we are owing to be threatened like this... He says “$52 dollars”... FIFTY-TWO DOLLARS that is THREE DAYS LATE and they are at our door BANGING and THREATENING to shut it off. Unbelievable.

Pay day is TOMORROW so we were waiting for tomorrow to pay. Instead I use the money I need for gas today to be able to get to school, to pay the dumb bill of $52. God forbid they don’t receive their $52 bucks. I switched to solar because no matter WHAT I did, the bill kept getting higher and higher, now I pay solar and only pay APS a base price for being on the grid. Absolutely ridiculous. $52. I’m totally dumbfounded at this point.

Original review: April 9, 2018

First off, the prices are about 250% higher than SRP for the same electrical usage due to all the base charges. I could have my breakers open for the entire month and it would still cost about $80. Secondly, the data presented on the website and bill are not correlated with the Saver Choice and Saver Choice plans. I don't know if this is just a huge mistake or intentional criminal obfuscation. I informed the company today, 9APR18, of four different categories of bad data: service time-frame definitions, peak bar chart data, plan details table, as well as the daily and hourly usage charts (daily usage and detailed usage). The data provided on all of these areas do not correlate properly with the plan specifics given to me over the phone, nor with each other.

Original review: March 7, 2018

My complaint is last year. I was late 3 times, and had to pay a late fee (fair enough) then I get a notice with a different account number stating I owed $135, when I called they tell me it's a security deposit, this was paid 2/20/2017, I told them on 2/20/2018 I want my $ back, but no I have to wait 2 years! Why can they pay me back late and get away with it, but if I am late I have to pay a late fee and a punishment fee (it is a punishment fee. Don't care what they call it)?

Original review: March 2, 2018

My issue with APS, is that no matter how little electricity I use and how much my kilowatts go down from month to month, my freaking bill is outrageous and just keeps getting higher. My hubby and I are both on disability social security and we can't afford our utility bill.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

APS Rate hike 2018 - Only have had APS for approximately 3 years. Went onto the equal payment program... this past year, my monthly cost was about 145. At the end of 2017, my monthly payment was changed to approximately 175. per month... total rise in annual cost $360.00. Way over average % they indicated. I'm seeking details on how they raised my costs by 20%. My account number with them is **.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Arizona Public Service just got another rate hike. The cost escalates while consumers struggle. Salt River Project is much better service provider but areas are not crossed. We are stuck with APS. So there is no choice.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I have lived in Prescott Valley, AZ, and have been a customer of APS for 21 years. Like many other people across the nation I have gone through a lot of major life changes over the years and have been struggling to stay in the black. Consequently, when I receive a bill that is 2.5 times more than normal, my first response was there was an honest mistake and they need to double check the meter reading. Then, upon further checking, come to find out they are charging me a "security deposit" due to "being delinquent with two or more bills within a consecutive 12-month period…" Turns out delinquent to APS means anything past the due date, no grace time given, period. Checking with the Arizona Corporation Commission, their guidelines for deposits state "late paying your bill three or more times within a 12-consecutive month period..." See R14-2-203B5.

The ACC also states that the deposit will normally be refunded to you after 12 consecutive months of payments on time or when you discontinue service. But how many people will remember to ask for it back? Also, I don't remember receiving any prior notice that grace periods have changed or been deleted altogether. Nor any notice of the company instituting security deposits from longtime customers! In my opinion, APS has become a bully in the market and needs some healthy utility service competition to reset its attitude toward consumers.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

During the year 2017 we had many financial hardships and 2 times paid late. Never had our power turned off. January 2018 I got an 800 dollar bill because they decided to charge a nearly 600 dollar deposit due to late payments. I don't see how adding crazy charges to people that are already struggling is going to help anyone.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Have had APS accounts for years. Recently I initiated service and shortly thereafter, someone else called for service "accidentally" using my unit # for the billing. APS removed the service from my name without so much as a verification phone call or email alerting me of this. When I called APS I was told that I have a new account #. The Rep gave me the wrong new acct # and so when I called in to try to pay my bill there was no record of it. I still don't have a bill and was told it may be mid-January before this is straightened out. I cannot add this account to my APS online profile. Additionally, I experienced long wait times when calling and this is at 7 am in the morning! I have had good experience in the past with APS but I feel they are really deteriorating both in terms of customer service and having safeguards in place so that someone cannot just call in and mess up your account!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

In August of this year, I changed my bill paying system and through an error 100% on my part missed my August payment. the next month (September) when I realized the mistake I took immediate action and corrected it. As you can imagine these were very heavy use months and the combined bill for both months was over $900. I did not ask for assistance, I did not call and ask to have any fees waived or to make a payment arrangement. Due to the error being my fault and therefore my responsibility to correct I made several payments over the next couple months to bring the balance current. In doing so I had to break the payments into $300-$400 pieces. Apparently, my September payment was technically late, but only by a few days, never anywhere near 30. I never received a disconnect notice, and by October 30th had brought the account current. Then in December, I received a $850 bill.

When I called to inquire about it, they explained that they had recently changed their policies and that anyone with 2 or more late payments in a calendar year had to pay a deposit of 2.5 times their average bill. After asking for a supervisor I spent an hour on hold and being transferred to the wrong people I was told in essence: "We see you have been a customer for 4+ years without a problem. We know this puts a hardship on you. You are not the only one of our customers we have both surprised and hurt with this change. WE DON'T CARE. Your choices are, move into SRP territory, pay it, or go without electricity. Hurry and make your decision, I have a lot of other people on hold behind you waiting to hear this message."

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

The majority of info that I am listing here, I already shared months ago with APS via an APS survey regarding their website. I feel if APS had a professional and easy to use website that was fully integrated with their billing, new-current-previous accounts, and customer service departments some of their problems with us, their customers would be corrected. I would have communicated this via their site but I could not find where to do that. With the older and now the newer website design you continue to seem to go in circles without getting the information, data or contacts/dept that you want. It is very unprofessional, time-consuming, frustrating and I feel disrespectful to the customer/client base.

Example: this morning for the first time I got an email from APS titled: "Your bill is ready to view." I thought that is great. I opened the email that had five-link options none of the options were: "View your bill". The 1st tab link is "Pay my Bill" which when you press it - it states what is currently due with payment options ie bank, credit card etc but no option of viewing your bill, which I find important to View my bill, see my usage and I like to keep a % of credit on my account.

The 2nd tab link "My usage" when you press it - it states daily & hourly usage with the previous month's information including view your bill (but it is last month's bill) not the current month's. 3rd tab link - Download the "APS APP" for your phone. 4th link - "Payment arrangements". 5th link - "My account" which takes you to 15 misc link options (none of which are "View your Current Bill").

So since none of those links allowed me to "View my bill"; I went to the top ruler and pressed "my account" and it still has last month's November bill and the November data listed to view. On this 7th day of December, I guess I will have to take the time every few days to check back to the APS website to try to see if Arizona's largest and longest-serving electric company has posted the current statements for their 1.2M customers to view. Then I can try to find my bill within their site in order to view it and pay it.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

This trash garbage excuse for a power company will do anything they can to ** you out of every cent they can get. They tell you everything is fine and dandy and your services are shut off and then proceed to charge you another $200 5 months after you move across the country. The people who work the phones are absolutely rude and incompetent. They might as well hire apes that answer the phone and say no I refuse to DO MY JOB and help a customer. Instead I'll create bogus charges, never send you a bill and then TACK ON LATE FEES WHEN YOU NEVER EVEN RECEIVED A BILL. APS ** YOU AND YOUR MONEY HUNGRY CORPORATION!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

APS have to idea with what their cost are!!! They are going to leave people homeless because on top of what they are charging you not even been in your place is crazy! They want a deposit of almost $300 for being late! I wish there is another company that helps their customers more!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

It is unfair that they try to charge Deposit for having more than 4 houses even when credit letter is excellent. Their guidelines prevent business owners to conduct business, we have to waste money and time dealing with this BANDIDOS, APS IS a monopoly and there is no choice but deal with incompetent customer service reps. APS and the state of ARIZONA should be ashamed.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I have lived in Arizona going on a year now. Never in my 45 years of living in NY have I been ripped off by my utility company. I had called APS well over 2 months ago complaining about my broken meter. They lied to me and said that day someone would be at my residence to fix my meter. My bills are out of control. Every month my bill keeps going up which I had also questioned them. "How are you coming up with any reading if my meter is broken." They answered me very rudely and said "that's what we have read" and to pay my bill immediately or they will shut off my electric.

First of all I told them, "you sent me a bill with an estimated reading for June while my meter is broken" and then in July it said actual meter reading for June which had the same amount as their estimated reading. They must be psychics because I have never heard of no such thing!!! It's now end of September going to be October soon and my meter is still broken. What kind of electric company runs this way??? I have also emailed my complaint to them. What do I have to do to get my meter fixed and I know I've been getting ripped off by them!!! Who's going to stop this company from ignoring their customers!!! I will get a lawyer if my situation is not resolved within the next week!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

So I am a new APS customer. I tried to do Autopay and thought it would be taken care of without me writing a check. Ha Ha. They didn't debit the account so sent me a bill saying they would debit TWO months next time. OK. Fine. Only they didn't. They shut off the power instead. And said they put a "door hanger" warning me of shutoff. NEVER GOT IT. So, power went off while workmen were putting in a floor. Had to go to Walmart, pay APS because there is NO office here. Nasty customer service. Said I wanted to appeal the shutoff fee. Well guess what? The fee, $27.70, appears on the next bill. Not my fault. It's theirs, but I have to pay or they charge a late fee, or a shutoff fee, or some other dumb charge. So I canceled Autopay. Guess what? This month's bill says, "We will debit your account". I am certain if I write a check they will also debit the bank anyway. You cannot win with APS.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

This is a huge company that has monopolized entire region. Most of us are forced to use this company with dishonest business practices. We have never been late, accidentally missed sending payment in so go online to pay, won't even let us pay amount because there is now an extra $500.00 DUE!? (Bill due 8/11) and mind you we are barely 2 weeks late and they are making us pay them an extra 500.00 when they gave us no notice of there being a late payment or a fee... we have had so many awful experiences with them, truly an evil company and would give our business to anyone before them. Please Arizona give consumers options!

Arizona Public Service Company Information