Arizona Public Service

Arizona

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Being new to APS we were astounded by our bill for electricity usage, we tried to figure out where we could conserve more to lower our monthly usage/cost. Looking closer at the bill we realized that we'd only used 338kwh which equaled $19.94 in usage, the remaining $32.17 are fees & taxes. APS said, "When you buy milk you don't just pay the cow." What?? So I called the Utility Commissioner & she said, "What do you want me to do, write a complaint that you don't like seeing all those listed fees?" I said, "No, I appreciate the transparency but in seeing it I cannot believe the taxes and fees far outweigh the cost of the actual utility usage! I understand there are fees & taxes but nowhere else do I see them to this degree!" Who is holding them accountable because the Utility Commissioner I spoke with 100% defends this practice! SHAME APS & the AZ Utility Commission!

I had the same experience as the last person who wrote a review for APS. I also have two clients that had the same thing happen with their payments. I paid my bill online, the same way I have for 3 years at the same address with the same banking information that they had stored in their system. Well, apparently, they changed my account number and this created a problem for them getting the money from my bank. I received a notice that my payment was returned, which is strange, because I didn't change my banking information. I logged in to pay my bill again... this time I had to enter new payment information... but instead of the amount that I previously paid, they wanted to charge a fee for my "returned check." I called customer service and the man I spoke to had no sympathy, claiming I must have entered my information incorrectly. I didn't enter my information, it was the saved info in their system. The fee was to stay in place.

I requested that a supervisor call me. A few hours later, I had the same argumentative conversation with the supervisor. Then, she asked me to read her my banking info... I asked her to tell me what information she had, but she would not, nor would she send it to me by email. It doesn't matter what numbers I gave her, she would have been able to say, "Oh, you mistyped your account #." APS does not care about their customer service, why should they. It's not like you have a choice of some other provider. You are stuck with them if you live in their service area. They have no reason to care. I'm moving in a month to an area that is serviced by another company. Hopefully, I will never need to be an APS customer again in my life. I have always had a less than pleasant experience with APS, but this one takes the cake. They change their system, and collect fees from thousands of their customers. Brilliant.

Prior to leaving the residence in Sedona, I contacted APS with turn off notice and request for a final bill to be sent to my newest residence in Cortez CO. The individual with whom I spoke to as a follow up to my request confirmed my new residence address, indicated I would be getting a check from APS for $155. This conversation took place the first week in April. I was assured the check would be processed within the next ten business days -- On or about 04/23/17. On Friday, 04/28/17, after checking my mail and finding no check from APS, I returned my call to APS to confirm when the check was issued, what address was used to send this check to, and since I had yet to receive any refund to date from APS, what would be the logical next step.

They offered to reissue the check but that would take time and I wanted to have this expedited. I will call them tomorrow and determine if they can perform an electronic deposit into my account; if successful, they can then put a stop payment on the "lost" check. I doubt they will be receptive to this idea, but unless the check appears in today's mail, there is no alternative but the canceled and reissued check. I DO NOT HAVE AN ORDER NUMBER. MY Account number is **. This is a terrible inconvenience to one who lives on a fixed and limited income. I doubt they would be so cavalier if I was the one whose check for remittance was MIA. One more example of how a large company, allegedly devoted to serving the public, can perform so miserably and that the recipient of the check is a senior citizen who is in dire need of this money that is really his.

APS recently upgraded their system. I used my checking account to pay my deposit when I started the service. I used the same checking account (saved in their system) to pay my bill and they returned payment. When I called in they said they could not locate my account and since their system updated it does not show as saved anymore. I now have to pay a $15+ fee to resubmit my payment (which isn't even late) and I am only allowed to pay it in cash. I just recently started using this service and it was a nightmare to set up and it continuing to be. I will definitely check for SRP service addresses when I move next. Highly discourage you from using APS if you can avoid it.

We have been with Arizona Public Service for over 21 years in our current home and in an apartment prior. I have been employed at the same employer for 30 years and my husband has been for 15 years. We have had some extensions on our electric bills with approvals and we never knew it was an issue. We have had a few unexpected medical expenses. We have never had a disconnect. We are now expected to pay the $490 deposit or a turnoff. Where is this all coming from? What does APS do with all of our deposit money? This seems to be a very large amount of money for them to hold on to for a couple with good credit and a good steady work history. What's up APS??? I can understand a deposit for your first year or if you haven't been employed but really??? $490!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Arizona Public Service?

I was going pay my bill and website tells me a system wide billing upgrade is happening and needs to validate account. I finish with the validation and lo and behold I see the account I have had since 2008 now requires a deposit of over 200 dollars is due now or power will be shut off. I did not ask for billing system upgrade. I have the same house same account, nothing has changed. I have talked with multiple agents and all I get this the only option I have. All I know is now I'm forced to pay deposit for a service that hasn't changed or a billing upgrade. This is just a way for major company get more $$ from consumers.

Where is my consumer rights or protection against extortion tactics? Also where was APS when power goes out due transformer gone bad 3 days, 120 degree heat with family of 5 with kids. All they could say sorry and can compensate for 5 lbs of dry ice. Food spoiled and a lot unnecessary stress. I never complained or ask for anything. This is how honest working families get treated. I hope there's no one else going thru this unnecessary stress.

We are "winter visitors" (per APS). Our meter stopped working but we were not informed. Just informed that they were "unable to read" which their website claims is normal behavior, similar to a cell phone connection dropping. APS replaced the meter the day following my October arrival. According to APS, the meter had not been working for 17 days. APS will not show me documentation as to when our meter stopped working. I am expected to take their verbal account. APS billed me for "reading" our meter when it wasn't able to be read due to non-function. My USE CASE seems irrelevant.

APS has prorated my account billing with dates from dates after I arrived (much higher usage) instead of prior rates before I returned. I have communicated by both email and phone. Neither form of communication will respond to my direct concerns. All responses are by pre-written statements (verbally and my email) that in no way address my direct concerns or requests. They are soundbites, generic in nature. A "review" by the billing department has been forwarded and I must wait. The email I sent last week (with a written response and a phone agent) has never been linked to my account number phone conversation(s). There is no central THREAD to gather my inquiries, so important in consumer support.

After attempting to get electronically my account records from 2010 to 2014 (which I was unable to do), I started reading reviews of APS. I saw not a one that was remotely complimentary. The cost just keeps going up and up, even though they say they haven't had an increase in several years. I was surprised to see in one of the reviews an option of aid for low income. I applied as a single woman on social security and received a letter that I was accepted to the program. No information as to how this will affect my bill.

Next, I received a letter that my "Equalizer" payment was being raised from $120/mo to $141/mo. So where is my assistance for low income? I live alone. My thermostat is set for heat to go on when my house reaches an indoor temp of 65°, AC when indoors reaches 85°. I use my major appliances (washer/dryer/dishwasher) after 8:00PM or on the weekends only (off peak).

I am very conscientious in regard to green house gasses, global warming and respect for our natural resources and their limits. I do not leave lights, TV, radios, on when not in use. I unplug small appliances, coffee maker, toaster etc. when not in use. I was visiting relatives for several months in 2014. My son was staying in my house during my absence. He called APS to find out if he could change the AC temp. He was boiling. They told him to change the thermostat to go on at 72° throughout the night and then have it be somewhat warmer during the day.

It was after he took their advice that my Equalizer payment went from $77/mo to $120/mo. Basically the Utilities can do whatever they want.... water, power, sewage & trash. We even have to pay for trash pickup if we are gone for extended periods. I don't know how or why the "snowbirds" put up with it. I guess they are rich enough that they don't care when they are getting **.

We can't say, "I don't like the way you do business and I am going to go with another company." No, we don't have that option, but they can cut us off and we have no recourse except to PAY. As I said, I live alone and according to Epcor in Oct I used 16,000 gals of water, in Nov. 20,000 gals, in Dec. 17,000. I do not have a swimming pool, a pond or even a puddle. I have 2 rain barrels to catch water that pours off my roof (no gutters or downspouts) when we have our infrequent rains that I use for watering my plants that are not on my metered watering system. I sincerely believe that since my income is not rising anywhere near as fast as the utilities (mine was .3%) I will be able to sell and live someplace where my utilities will be something reasonable.

I recently received a letter from APS demanding a deposit of $335 be paid or else my electricity will be turned off. I have been a customer for 13 years that has never had my electric shut off due to non payment. If I was ever going to be late paying my bill I always had approval from APS. I have tried to reason with APS and they won't compromise, and to make matters worse I have an infant in the house. How is this not extortion?

I have owned a rental property for 6 years. I had an APS account on it when I bought it in 2010. I have decided to sell because tenant moved out and it is now empty. Called APS to transfer power to my name and they want 580 dollar deposit. UNREAL!!! I Own several other properties none though with APS. I have not had any of this BS before with SRP. I am going to check the meter of the next property I look at and if APS is on it I will not even make an offer. I hope there are others like me so maybe their unethical practices can be brought to an end. It sucks to have a monopoly.

Something needs to be done with APS. Their fees are way too high. When I took a closer look at my bill I found out that my fees were higher than the actual electricity I was using. ECU in the state of Arizona APS is a monopolizing corporation. They can do anything they wanted to. Basically they extort money from people because they know that without electricity you can't live so that's why they get away charging with such high prices. What they fail to realize is that they are a necessity, not a luxury. If you don't have APS you will die. You have to have air in the summertime and they know this so they can charge whatever they want to charge. They would charge your franchise fee. Why do I have to pay them to be a franchise owner pay McDonald's? Something needs to be done. They are crooked then extort money out of their customers. Like I said something needs to be done.

After 15 years of service, for a livestock well pump, paid every month, bank error caused payment to be returned. They shutoff power with no notice. They claim they called an old phone # from 6 years ago. Phone # they claimed they called is not even listed on the account profile. It was updated 5 years ago. To turn the power back on they required $235.00 deposit, $189.00 bill payment and $35.00 reconnect fee. Bill runs $75.00 per month. Service is not optional. There is ZERO risk that they won't get paid on this account (livestock would die of thirst). They don't care. Asked to speak to supervisor, put on hold, then told, “Sorry, no supervisor available”. Nothing they can do. Pay up or suffer the consequences and let the livestock die. So I gave them my grocery money for the month, overdrafted my bank account and cried. (I am not a crier). **. Now I hate APS with a passion, and will hold a grudge forever.

I recently received email from APS demanding payment for bill not yet due. I replied and asked them to stop sending such emails because my account has never been late, ever. Today, 11/03/2016 I received in mail a final notice to pay the same bill which is due 11/08/2016 with a late charge of $3.76. Their billing department is incompetent and it is impossible to contact APS by phone. I wish there were a zero star option as well as an alternate supplier.

Recently my husband and I decided to go solar. We are almost through the process and everything has been great. Then about a week ago I received a bill from APS. I didn't pay much attention because I work really long hours and I figured I would just look at it on one of my days off. We are on the equalizer program and pay 295.00 a month. When I looked at the bill on Sunday it was for well over the normal amount which I thought was strange but I couldn't call until Monday.

Then today in the mail we received a letter that states because we did not pay our bill by the due date we now have to pay a 605.00 deposit (yes, I said 605). When I looked at my bill it said, "Thanks for participating in pick a due date", and that my due date was recently changed. We did not change our due date! No one authorized them to do this. I think this is their way of getting money from me when they know I won't be paying them as much. I have filed a complaint with the Arizona Corporate Commission - these people are thieves and get away with it because they don't have any competition and if I don't pay the 605.00 within a week they will turn off my electricity. I have been late before but I have always paid every month. We get paid once a month from our employers so we do what we can.

APS set up 2 meters on my new property. They were instructed to send bills to a different billing address and did, for one account. The other accounts bill went to a nonexistent address that has no mailbox. I thought I was paying my bill in total, not realizing I should have 2. Without calling or contacting me at the correct billing address, they turned power off for nonpayment. Again, I never received a bill for the second account. They decided to set up but paid the first on time each month!! The power outage cost me hundreds in food in my freezer and fridge and when I called and the reps could not explain the APS error. They simply said they would transfer me to another rep who might be able to help me.

I get that AZ is hot but to pay $400 a month from May-October is outrageous. Take a look at some articles about the company and where does all the $$ go! We need the commissioners to change the way APS operates. It's too expensive!!! Wish we could leave.

I received a notice that my account has been delinquent multiple times. However my bill has been paid in full every month. I chose a pay by date of the 5th of the month. I noticed when I went into APS records, they are not posting my payment as soon as received. I usually pay at the end of the month. Recently, my notice is dated September 6th, the date that payment should have been received. APS posted my payment on September 7th, a date after the notice. I pay by check through the mail, and for August, the check was sent on August 31st. According to their own rules, and bill it is stated on their own website: bill past due date. At what point is my bill officially past due?

"Bills are past due 10 business days after the statement date, and payments must be received by 5 PM Arizona time on the due date. We offer a grace period of an additional nine business days past the due date. A late fee of 1.5% will be assessed if we don't receive the payment within 19 business days of your billing date." I have no control on when APS actually posts my payments, however their stern letter warns that if I am late again, they will be asking for more deposit coverage. I have had APS service for 10 years and have never had a nasty letter like this. I think they would like extra money for nothing. I am retired and have a limited income, so getting letters like this is very upsetting.

I am a BC resident. APS requires a credit report with Equifax however BC has a privacy block so in order for them to turn on or off my service, they require notarized ID. $40 dollars later, I managed to have my ID notarized. I sent it in both via email & by mail so they would have the originals. Now in calling to cancel my service (only had it to bridge between tenants), they are saying my notarized ID was unacceptable & that I had to have a verification form notarized.

I had 3 phone calls, including one with a supervisor at the time & at no time did anyone mention or provide me with a verification form to have notarized. Now I've been on the phone for an hour trying to cancel the service & they say they cannot do this without this notarized verification form. I'm speaking with the supervisor who is going back to listen to the recorded calls. I would like to mention that I started and stopped service on this same property in 2012 with APS, so they have me on file.

I have always known my APS bills to be high, but then I wanted to do a 'test' or comparison against what my dad pays - he has SRP. His usage last month - July 2016 was approx 110KWh and he was charged approx. $350 for that. My usage last month was for approx 2,250KWh!!?? Yes! I said 2,250KWh and was charged approx $370 for 2.25 MWh of electricity. Now I realize I have an old crappy AC that runs almost all day but my house is approx. 1/5 the size of my dad's house. Where are they getting these numbers!?? I need to get off my butt and design a home-brew watt meter monitoring setup (I am an electronics professional) and monitor my usage on my own I suppose. Something doesn't smell right here people!!

We just received our APS electric bill for June 7- July 7 in the amount of $355.07. We're a family of three, living in a one bedroom house, one bathroom, one kitchen and a living room. My wife and I are always aware of keeping lights off if not need to be on. Or keep AC on at 81 or 82 degrees. I called APS right away to discuss our matter. At the end of our conversation APS had the winning hand of course. They said most of the energy is being used early mornings and late night. They were right about late night but wrong about mornings. Any suggestions on what I should do?

After accepting late payments for several years, APS wants me to pay a $280 deposit. My bill never doubled up & was paid on the 3rd of the month, for at least four years. I am always late because my SS retirement comes on the 3rd. In this day of modern computer technology & computers APS should easily be able to make the change. Are you willing to risk the health & possibly the life of a soon to be 68-year-old man on Social Security because APS won't change the due date of my bill? I was on SS Disability, but when I reached 67 last year SS Administration changed my status to 'retired'. As your records indicate, yes I have been late with my bill. Your records should also indicate that I have not missed paying my bill in a long time. I have not had my bill double up in a very long time, though payment has been late. If APS would please change my due date this problem would go away.

APS seems to think because I, like all your customers, are dependent on electricity that I will roll over to APS' demand. Let me see if I have this right: If I don't let APS force me to get a radiation spewing device, the new spy meter, APS will make good on the threat to turn off my 'juice'. Is that correct? APS has one problem here. For several years APS has accepted my late payments, I suppose because they saw, that though late, my bill was always paid. That means that they accept & have accepted that payment method & thus we have a default, tacit, defacto contract. I am not sure of the legal term, but your lawyers know what I am talking about. As far as I can tell, the smart meter came out after APS had tacitly agreed to my payment schedule. Remember, APS accepted my money every time. Even last month.

Trying to tell me I cannot have my due date changed because I don't have such & such a meter is as bogus as it gets. APS is very capable of changing my due date with the meter I have now. I like this meter fine, your man can read it from the road while in his truck, so why do I have to get a smart meter? There can be only one reason. Information gathering by the new 'smart spy meter'. If APS turns off m\y electric we will be in court for breach of contract at least. I'll worry about the threat to my health & life later. Though I am on a small income, there are legal people who work with the poor. I am speaking to APS. Hope I don't have to do so from court & some TV news show. Please APS, just change my due date. End of problem. It is really a very simple solution. I am now going public. There is a lot more, I just sent a load to the AG's office. Sheesh, all APS has to do is change my due date...

Updated on June 27, 2016: Update on my complaint against APS: The lady at APS did put my electric cut off date & $280 deposit on hold if I apply for their energy savings for low income people program. I said, "I'd apply." So for at least the moment my electric is still on. Their day for cutting me off is today, June 27, 2016. The lady that I am working with, Jessica **, is helpful but she can only do so much because of the APS bureaucracy. They have some kind of policy that basically says: "If you don't have the newer smart meter I can't get my due date changed." Seems preposterous to me. I do have a newer meter that can be read from the road, but again, because even though it's a newer meter than the analog I had.

APS says via Jessica that my due date still can't be changed. To me that's just a dodge to force people to get the information gathering radiation spewing smart meter. Right now I am watching the mail for the application to the program Jessica recommended to come in the mail. I'll fill it out & go from there. The good news: My electric is still on. Thank you Jessica.

My 2 year old son has seizures when he overheats making AC mandatory. Until we can move some place cooler, I went with the only option I can right now. I sent $5000.00 to pay the current bill and have credit for future ones. APS sent me a disconnect notice! If the shutoff happens, it will put my son's health at risk. I will make sure everyone in Arizona learns of the shut off. I have proof the payment was made that can be shown in court.

Received a $17 refund check. Went cash it Fry's (Kroger). Check was denied because APS has unfavorable payment history so basically APS writes bad checks but gladly ruins it customers if they write ones, hypocritical much?

I have had it with APS. I moved into a home that I rent at and since May 2nd I still cannot get them to turn on my power. First they told me that I would need to pay half of my deposit which was fun $296 but then APS came out and took my meter. I have paid the whole deposit which was $597 then I also paid $480 to go towards a credit for APS and they still will not turn on my power due to the fact that they say I'm under investigation for tampering with a meter. They are ridiculously insane. Turn on my power APS or I am going to hold you accountable for my green pool if there are any damages done to it. It's hot. My Little Chihuahua Pit is dying here. Turn on my freaking power.

So I work during the day and spend a lot of time at home at night, as most people do. My home is fairly energy efficient, and I don't run many appliances. I sat down today to look at my bill and saw such nuggets as four corners adjustment fee, environmental benefits fee, meter reading fee (my meter sends data via a wireless connection to the company, there's no meter reader coming out) and so on. After I deducted these fees from my bill, the electricity itself cost me a whopping seventeen bucks . APS charges me, per month, fifty bucks in fees on twenty bucks worth of power used (including three dollars to send a paper bill when I told them I want all of my statements online and that is IT! Not only this, but the company decided to refuse a refund on my deposit in spite of the fact that I haven't missed a payment in eighteen months. APS is a state sponsored gouge fest, created by the sleazebags that provide oversight.

Due to an error on APS' website, they are not allowing me to pay my bill via credit card or check. I spoke with their customer service but they are unwilling to accept payment. I've never experienced such poor customer service but I can see from hundreds of people via Google, that I'm not alone. I would like for them to accept my payment that is valid.

APS is legally allowed to charge these fees? The fee are more than my electric usage. Cost of electricity you used - Customer account charge $1.95, Delivery service charge $9.64, Environmental benefits surcharge $4.61, Federal environmental improvement surcharge $0.04, System benefits charge $1.06, Power supply adjustment* -$1.45, Metering* $2.79, Meter reading* $1.92, Billing* $2.17, Generation of electricity* $21.06, Federal transmission and ancillary services* $1.86, Federal transmission cost adjustment* $2.34, Four-Corners adjustment* $0.86, LFCR adjustor $0.71, Cost of electricity you used $49.56. Taxes and fees Regulatory assessment $0.13, State sales tax $2.84, County sales tax $0.35, City sales tax $0.52, Franchise fee $0.99, Cost of electricity with taxes and fees $54.39.

My consumption is less than $25.00 per month in respect to off peak and on peak, but my bill is $100.00 or more per month. They are gouging customers who have solar panels. The purpose of installing solar was to lower my electricity bill. It has not been lower, in fact I believe that it is higher because of the phony fees they have been charging me for the last eight years. Someone needs to look into APS's practice. It should be illegal!

APS charges rates that vary throughout the day and have no limits or guidelines and are completely unverifiable. Worse, from the time they print the bill, you have 13 days to pay. Late twice in a 12 month period and your deposit more than doubles. So, if there is a holiday and you pay by check via mail, there is absolutely not way to pay the bill on time. This is the largest company scam in the state of Arizona. They justify it by saying there is a 13 day grace period, but that doesn't ally to you if you've been late... What is happening in the state of Arizona? And how could a rational legislative body allow a company to abuse it's power like this?!! Bill printed out on Oct. 28th, payment due Nov. 10th... that is eight business days for it to be mailed, received and paid! God help you if you go on vacation at the wrong time.

This is THE WORST power supply I've ever had in a life of relocating as a teacher/coach. Power outages occur far too frequently for no reason at all. They're just won't provide reliable service.

Arizona Public Service Company Profile