1.07/5

Need a utility company?

Arizona

117 Arizona Public Service Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 20, 2019

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I apparently had 2 late payments totally less than $3.00 and now they want a 250 deposit from me or they will turn off my electric. Are you kidding me?? I pay my bill every month. I'm not sure how I missed the $3 but this is ridiculous that they can turn my electric off over $3 buck! Is this true? If I pay only the electric bill and not the deposit they have the right to turn off my electric??

Original review: April 20, 2019

This evening I came home to no power, however I paid the bill. Called the company and was told they had added a new deposit. However that amount was not listed in my current bill. An additional 350.00 had to be paid before my service was restored. When I called the credit company that they insisted that they sent me the bill. That was not the case. I had the bill. I scanned it to them. There was nothing indicating that I need to pay this additional deposit. Their customer service is not up to par. It's a good thing that I have to file a complaint because they were really trying to do it again continuously at these deposits. I’ve been in this property for more than four years now and in the four years I’ve had to pay three separate deposit which makes no sense. They need to be stopped.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2019

So I get an email saying my bill is 500.00 due in 2 weeks on top of what I had already paid. Why? Because they had been charging me for the wrong meter since I moved into my new place. I would not have known this unless I called in. They also had all my historical information erased. It magically came back when I called in. I still don't know what the graph is for. Is it for my supposed new meter? I asked for them to break it down for me by sending me an itemized bill explaining how 500.00 dollars in new charges is justified. They said they can't. So they made a huge mistake, and they can't even do me this service? I filed a report with the ACC. I wish I didn't have to deal with this ripoff company APS. It really sucks they have a monopoly over power here.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I hate this company and their annual outrageous increases. So glad to see they're finally being investigated and no surprise. They've bought a bunch of the money hungry lousy politicians off here in our great state. Last week after 25 years of being a great customers we came home from work to a dark house (Thank God it wasn't mid-summer, I have big dog and two cats) with no idea what could be happening? Checked fuses, etc... Turns out since they just decided to add a $500 deposit to our bill for being late (we usually pay these thieves in two pmts, never an issue before) they shut our electricity off for $60! We'd just paid them $800!

When I asked the due date to ensure this wouldn't happen again, they said it fluctuates! How can you pay on time without a set due date? And when I asked when the next bill was due they told me the following Monday! So another $235 out of my account in a matter of minutes! I hate APS. I hope all of their top people go to jail for their crooked, immoral and obscene business practices. Looking to move to a different hood to get away from these dirtbags.

Original review: March 13, 2019

APS in the White Mountains of Arizona has been the biggest headache and hassle of my life. They expect certain documents provided prior to turning on your electric, yet they do not have a customer service location to present these documents. Everything is handled online or via text/e_mail. Then the ID is not legible enough through email. Or they need a lease with a start and end date, when in fact we own the property. Instead of having an office to submit these documents or actually lifting a finger and them going online to verify with the assessor's office which would take approx 2 minutes to verify who owns the property, they spend days texting back and forth saying our documents aren't sufficient enough to proceed.

It has been a two month nightmare. I despise the fact that they can monopolize the area. I would be totally fine with choosing a different company. Yet monopolies don't work for the people. It's not too easy to just up and move to another company's territory. It makes me ashamed of being an American. APS truly sucks. What ever happened to true customer service? I suggest anyone moving to the area should seek out Navopache Electric territory. Avoid APS at all costs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Arizona Public Service?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

When times are tough, SRP proposes a decrease. APS just continues to take advantage of their customers. This company sickens me. APS claims to assist seniors or individuals on low income and work with their customers. I do not know of their charitable contributions to society, only reviews and comments like mine. Inevitably, what goes around, comes around. Worst company ever.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I honestly do not know how they continue to get away with what they do! Members of their Board are paying a pretty penny to someone to continue being crooks. This is nothing other than a corporate mafia and the state turns a blind eye to it. Somehow your usage goes down and yet your bill goes up - seems a little janky to me? I have never had a company make my blood boil as badly as this one does. I can't wait to see the day their executives rot in prison for their absolute scrupulous practices. Why is it that SRP doesn't charge these astronomical fees and why in the heck does it cost $180+ in fees before I ever touch an bit of electricity? Do yourself a favor and avoid APS areas to live in. Can't wait to move out of it.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

My mother had APS. Her bill was high and she couldn’t pay the full amount. My mother was on a fixed income and struggled during the summer months to pay this outrageous bill. When she wasn’t answering her phone or emails we sent out the sheriff to her home for a wellness check on her. The sheriff had found her deceased. The coroner told us that there was no power in her house.

Upon further research they had shut off her electricity on September 7, the last time any contact was made. She wasn’t able to pay the whole bill and for $51 dollars my mother lost her life. The coroner brought her in as a heat related death. We couldn’t find any disconnection notice on her door so we’re not sure if my mother knew her electric was being disconnected or if it was a power outage. It was 107 degrees the day they shut off her electric and ended her life. We are heartbroken and there is not much we can do about this. I can just write a review and tell everyone not to use this company ever!! Use solar panels or anything to prevent these crooks from getting your money. Call your representatives and demand changes. No one should lose their life over $51.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been a resident of Phoenix for over 10 years. I regret moving into an APS district. $130 in fees before I use any electricity. The new times for prime usage of 3 to 8 pm are cruel to any working family in the valley. Charged an additional deposit after paying late twice in a 12 month period. Their customer service reps are cold and rude. It's a monopoly. I'd rather deal with the cartel than this company!!! I feel rage with every bill received and every check written. SRP charges so much less. I am building a home outside of Maricopa County and it will be off the grid! Thank you APS for inspiring me to modify my lifestyle!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Too bad I have to give these penny pusher thieves any stars. My energy bill was $298; however I was billed more than $1k. When asked why I was told "whenever you pay a bill 'late' the account is accessed & a deposit is added for 3 times the monthly bill". But wait, need I say the bill was paid within the 10 grace period but not on the exact bill date. I've NEVER been disconnected & upon obtaining their 'white collar thieving' services more than 7 years ago, my deposit was 'waived' for "good standing" bill history.

So although, the actual power usage of $298 was paid in full, I'm being disconnected for a $761 deposit that was just "added" on because APS decided I wasn't paying within their timely manner but always paid in full & within the billing cycle & prior to a next month's bill. And the money stealing energy suckers can't produce a credit history to show me 7 yrs of "non-payment" but 3 months of "late" (past due date within 10 day grace period) payments... Gtfoh.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

OK, APS, not only has higher rates than previous companies I have used -- and high deposits due to summer usage -- but they abuse the deposit hold after cancelling services. Their website states: "When service is terminated, the deposit is applied to the final bill. If a credit remains after the final bill is paid in full, a refund check is mailed to the address provided when you notify us to Stop Service. (Checks are mailed within 25 business days after service is stopped.)"

I stopped service on June 25. Today is August 3 and their representative told me I will not receive a check until AUGUST 20...25 days after final bill -- that they don't do it after cancellation of service, it's after they decide to issue your final bill, which is exactly one month later. Mind you, despite the fact that their policy is stated differently, my billing cycle would have issued the bill long before that anyway... They keep the money in their account as long as possible and adjust the final date. Bad business practices if you are trying to be good and honest.

Original review: July 27, 2018

We have lived in our current home 5 yrs now. Paid a deposit to APS when we moved in. Never refunded but are now being charged another deposit to get our electricity back on, this is the hottest week of the year and they shut us off. They are greedy and don't care about small children or elderly. I loved SRP and am ready to go back to that company.

Original review: July 21, 2018

On July 19, 2018 my electricity was shut off, yes that's my bad! Well I paid the bill in my lunch break at 12 pm. I called and gave them all the necessary information - I even email pictures of the receipts and I was told 2 hours. I had 2 minor children at home and I have to use a bipap at night to sleep and when I returned home at 5pm there was no electricity still. I call APS and received the run around, was told the same thing again I explained the receipt and email and went all night and til 7pm on July 20, 2018 and 3 more phone calls to get my electricity turned back on. Yes, I took the minors out of the house as it was 90+ degrees inside the house but, I had to sleep there with my pets. Very unprofessional. I received no letters, door hangers, phone calls, texts or emails as to my electricity being turned off. And I know I'm responsible for paying my bills but... 36 hours to turn it on? Really???

Original review: July 20, 2018

My elderly cousin lives in Yuma. He wanted to sign up for the APS Solar Community Program. He could not use the website because he had forgotten his password and APS does not have his current email address. He cannot update the email because he cannot recall his password. Cannot update the password because APS has an old email address for him. There is no longer an APS office in Yuma. He tried calling the ** number but he is very hard of hearing and could not understand the choices etc. He wrote me a letter asking me to help. I tried. I asked Jessica at APS to please call him and help him update the information.

She refused informing me that APS does not have time for this. I spoke to the supervisor, Chris who promised to phone my cousin to assist. I correspond with my cousin on Facebook but do not have his phone number -- only address, acct.# personal ID number, etc. "Security" was cited as the reason APS cannot help elderly or disabled people. Of course -- any 12 year old could hack into anything. I was just a person trying to assist an elderly relative. I do not yet know if Chris ever bothered to call my cousin. Callous and uncaring -- my impression of APS.

Original review: July 12, 2018

We recently moved and now we have APS. Before we had SRP and loved them. They were always very understanding when I couldn't pay my bill on time and would tell them when I get paid we would pay. We got our first APS bill and we got our bill late due to the post office not delivering our mail to our new address for a month. When they finally delivered our mail I saw that the bill was due on July 5th. We got paid June 30th. Paid our mortgage and other bills that we could. Tried calling them one day and they couldn't talk to me as I wasn't on the account and that my husband would have to call. He called and asked if he could pay the bill next Thursday and they told us nope we can't since it's a brand new account. They said they might turn off our power next Tuesday or Wed and I get paid at 10 pm on Wed night so was going to pay it then but nope they wouldn't or can't wait. With SRP I had no problems at all.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I called APS to transfer the utility account to my business. The lady was very nice and explained that there will be a security deposit of 7200 dollars. I asked if it would be possible to use a surety bond insurance and her answer was yes. I purchased the bond and after they received it they said that they cannot accept the bond because it's address specific. At no point was I explained that BEFORE the bond was issued. Now I am missing the connection date, a new bond needs to be issued and of course new FedEx charges will be involved. Very disappointed and frustrated!

Original review: June 27, 2018

Power shut off - APS is an absolute disgrace to America. I have had APS for about 5 years now. Payments always made on time, never requested a security deposit upon starting service. One month I receive my bill and opened it up to a $650 due payment! Looking into the bill I was charged on random a $450 security deposit for "2 late payments". After reviewing all of my bills for the past 12 months I have never been late once and never assessed a "late payment" and then they randomly add an additional $450 deposit right before the summer time. Let me say today is 108 degrees outside and I have a 3 year old and a 5 month old at home so now my poor family has to sit in a non air conditioned house with no electricity for some BS deposit.

After calling and talking to a supervisor all they were able to do is split the deposit in 3 in order to restore my electric!! Really for what reason. I will be contacting 3 On Your Side as well as an attorney to have this company punished for not only doing this to my family but thousands of other families in AZ. APS needs to be shut down and a new electric company needs to step in to clean up their BS.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I have never EVER had my APS account shut off. I initially moved to Arizona back in 2011 with OUTSTANDING CREDIT 700+ score. I was told back then they will need to do a credit check, no problem. I was shocked to find out I had to pay a security deposit. I paid and went on about my business. Now years later and never a shutoff. I get a bill requesting a $300 deposit right before summer!!! I was told because made some late payments. Why offer customers payment arrangements/extensions when you're gonna punish them!? WHERE and WHAT are you guys doing with my security deposit money!? WHERE IS IT!?

This is flat out MONOPOLY and I have contacted Arizona commission board and nothing was ever done about it. They offered me to pay out the deposit, but next bill was a CUT OFF notice pay all in full. Needless to say had to make late payments on other stuff just to keep the MONOPOLY off my back in the SUMMER TIME!!! This place would be out of business quick as ** if there was any competition in West Arizona. This company need to be seriously investigated for fraud or theft to its consumers. I am sure they probably are paying off the Arizona politicians though...

Original review: June 21, 2018

I paid on time since I started with these thieves. I received a Bill with an additional $300 deposit. When explaining I never paid late they said I did 6x. I refused to pay the $300 for 5 months and they say I paid late 2x. A nice way to raise money for this RIPOFF of a company. It's a monopoly to allow ONE ELECTRIC company to control and screw its customers. A complete scam and should be shut down!!!

Original review: May 21, 2018

I've never had my power turned off and got a delinquent notice of a pending disconnect. For a 300.00 deposit... I paid the bill in full but someone noticed I was a week late a time or two and decided I need to pay a 300.00 deposit. I called and talked to several people but it went nowhere. I’m disappointed in APS because I’ve always been someone who pays their bill and I hate them now. They treat me like **.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I have lived in my current home for over 16 years and have always had APS service. I have never had my power turned off and always paid my bill in full every month. However, my recent bill included a $400 deposit, right before summer! After going over my so-called delinquencies with a rep, I had three payments 1-2 days past their "delinquent" date. Ridiculous policies! Heavy-handed deposit requirements and unfairly high rates. APS execs need to manage their business better so they don't have to stick it to customers to increase revenues! BTW, SRP only charges a deposit if a service is disconnected. These monopolies must go!

Original review: May 15, 2018

So it turns out I was late twice paying my bill within a 12 month period. Not because I could not pay, but because I didn't realize I passed the due date. I pay my bill regardless every time and if there was a late fee for those times I was late, I would pay it. Fast Forward to this months bill and it comes for very close to 500 dollars. I call APS up to see what is up with the high bill because I know for a fact, I was nowhere near that much electrical use for that month. They told me that since I was late twice within a 12 month period, they now require a deposit of 300 dollars on top of my bill because I was considered a "liability".

I was obviously upset and complained but they said they could not waive the fee, they could only break it down in installment payments. They also told me I would receive my money back after 12 month. For this I give APS 1 star for their terrible policies. I have been a homeowner for 4 years now and of course can't switch companies because they have a Monopoly in my area which is why they can do whatever they want! APS sucks!

Original review: May 12, 2018

I was very grateful for the budget billing service and having the same monthly payment each month, until there were undisclosed terms for budget billing. I was supposed to pay $180 per M to cover electricity for 2 people living in a 700 sq ft apartment. We canceled service after a year lease was up and was given a $700+ electricity bill at the end saying we had to pay for all the used electric. If this was the cause I would have never signed up for the budget billing and paid the monthly amount due (the end payment was NEVER) explained only the benefits of budget billing. It is definitely false advertising when they only give you particular information and the data online doesn’t state that full bill will be due at canceling. It is a horrible money ran electricity company’s and SRP needs to cover more territory.

Original review: May 3, 2018

In July of 2014 sold our house in Scottsdale and canceled service, were told new owner had requested service. Then in October we get a bill for 3 months of service because APS says we never canceled. What about the new owner having his own account at same meter? No, no record of that or refuse to discuss it.

So after being gone from state until this week we request service in Casa Grande and were told pay up $343 from the Scottsdale home or no service. When I asked for them to check that meter was owned by someone else during that period they are charging me for they refused, can't do it. Clearly, a very dishonest power company. So sorry we have to deal with them again!

Original review: April 17, 2018

We have lived in Arizona almost 4 years now. We have had APS the entire time. Every single year there is an increase in service charges. Now they've changed the Saver Choice plan from 12-7 on peak to 3-8 with demand charges. The way they price gouge for service is ridiculous. We've never lived in a state where power is like this. We've heard solar isn't much better cause you still get an APS bill! It's ridiculous it's allowed to keep going like this. If we would of known how APS was we would of searched for a house that was zoned for SRP!

Original review: April 11, 2018

Absolutely ridiculous. While sleeping, someone starts banging on the door like a mad-man, why he didn’t use the damn doorbell is beyond me. Answer the door and this guy is screaming at us for not paying our bill and saying he is there to shut it off. For some reason he says he will give us until the end of the day to pay it. 15 minutes later he comes back says, “They said I need to turn off your electricity now. If you can’t pay right now, I’m shutting it off”. So we ask how much we are owing to be threatened like this... He says “$52 dollars”... FIFTY-TWO DOLLARS that is THREE DAYS LATE and they are at our door BANGING and THREATENING to shut it off. Unbelievable.

Pay day is TOMORROW so we were waiting for tomorrow to pay. Instead I use the money I need for gas today to be able to get to school, to pay the dumb bill of $52. God forbid they don’t receive their $52 bucks. I switched to solar because no matter WHAT I did, the bill kept getting higher and higher, now I pay solar and only pay APS a base price for being on the grid. Absolutely ridiculous. $52. I’m totally dumbfounded at this point.

Original review: April 9, 2018

First off, the prices are about 250% higher than SRP for the same electrical usage due to all the base charges. I could have my breakers open for the entire month and it would still cost about $80. Secondly, the data presented on the website and bill are not correlated with the Saver Choice and Saver Choice plans. I don't know if this is just a huge mistake or intentional criminal obfuscation. I informed the company today, 9APR18, of four different categories of bad data: service time-frame definitions, peak bar chart data, plan details table, as well as the daily and hourly usage charts (daily usage and detailed usage). The data provided on all of these areas do not correlate properly with the plan specifics given to me over the phone, nor with each other.

Original review: March 7, 2018

My complaint is last year. I was late 3 times, and had to pay a late fee (fair enough) then I get a notice with a different account number stating I owed $135, when I called they tell me it's a security deposit, this was paid 2/20/2017, I told them on 2/20/2018 I want my $ back, but no I have to wait 2 years! Why can they pay me back late and get away with it, but if I am late I have to pay a late fee and a punishment fee (it is a punishment fee. Don't care what they call it)?

Original review: March 2, 2018

My issue with APS, is that no matter how little electricity I use and how much my kilowatts go down from month to month, my freaking bill is outrageous and just keeps getting higher. My hubby and I are both on disability social security and we can't afford our utility bill.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

APS Rate hike 2018 - Only have had APS for approximately 3 years. Went onto the equal payment program... this past year, my monthly cost was about 145. At the end of 2017, my monthly payment was changed to approximately 175. per month... total rise in annual cost $360.00. Way over average % they indicated. I'm seeking details on how they raised my costs by 20%. My account number with them is **.

Arizona Public Service Company Information