2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.21/5

American Electric Power Reviews

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Turned power off without notice or warning. Claims a letter was sent. It's February 17th and I live in Michigan. It's winter. I have 2 small children and no power so no heat or hot water. Trying to get service installed but am told it will be 1-3 days.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

I reported a street light out in Heath Ohio on Licking View Drive. To this day over 2 months later AEP has not touched the light. I think it’s down right sad that kids waiting at the bus stop are in the dark!!!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Okay for years I had First Energy and then out of the blue am getting AEP on my electric bill. A few years ago I got a phone call from I THOUGHT was First Energy but was AEP. These crooks somehow got me as a customer without me even knowing or understanding about it and now they did it again! These crooks have to swindle you into becoming a customer then they are pretty darn crooked in my opinion. This time I think I got a letter but unless I respond would be an AEP customer. My blood pressure is already high. Now I am dealing with this crap again.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I have NEVER had my electric disconnected, though I did get a little behind. AEP began charging me an extra $58.00 in addition to my regular bill, labeling it "Deposit". I paid a deposit years ago when I had my account opened & after a year it was credited back to me. I called the Customer Service Center & I was then advised that because I had been late 3 months in a row they charged me a deposit of $174.00, split in 3 month installments. They said I was advised on July '19 bill. After looking it up online, because I went paperless: it was literally on page 7 of 8. AND the deposit amount is NOT listed. AGAIN: NEVER HAD POWER SHUT OFF. AEP did install "Smart Readers" by their choice... This is a scam to recoup those costs. SCAM ARTISTS.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

AEP is crooks. They charge what they want. Too bad there is not a another provider. If you get a month behind they will stick it to you. There is poor folks out here. Sometimes you get behind and they make it hell to catch up so AEP sucks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

On 9-30-19 our house had an electrical problem & we called our electrician & he said that PSO had some faulty wires. I had a triple bypass surgery & have not been able to work. We had to go sleep at a friend’s house because it was too hot in the house. The lineman who came out was very rude to us & not polite at all. He was mad because he had to come out. Then he left without saying anything to us or updating us. I had to call to see what was the next step. All of our food was ruined because of PSO. All our light bulbs blew out. William ** sent me a letter on 10-4-19 stating that he was rejecting our claim. PSO wires caused a great hardship. We had a couple of churches donate food to us because I cant work due to my heart condition until I get better. Our house is dark & our fridge got damaged. About 8 bulbs blew. One fan got burned.

Your PSO company put us under a great hardship with your merciless decision to not replace any of damaged things. I just wanted to let you know how the company you are leading is working with the public. If I knew there was another choice for me to get power from. I would go. I feel that maybe we were discriminated because of our last name & no one even called us to see what took place. I soon as I can walk, gain my physical strength, I am going to tell as many people as I can of what PSO to us. I hope you can sleep in peace because we can’t. Our house is dark & thieves may think that no one lives here.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I had not received a bill for awhile and I called AEP to find out why and I was told that I had been put on a paperless billing pilot program, and this was done without my permission. I was told this is because I used Huntington Bank bill pay to pay my bill and I was targeted and put on this program automatically. This is **!!! And to put Icing on the cake they sent my bill to an 11 year old email address, which is no longer in use. You would think that they would at least confirm that the email address they are sending your bill to is correct and up to date. This was not done. I have filed a Complaint with the Ohio public utilities commission. I feel that without my permission they are committing fraud against the consumer by forcing consumers to join something without authorization from the consumer. AEP should be brought up on criminal charges, and forced to compensate the consumers for stress caused by this so called in house billing pilot program.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I own a auto repair shop and I am a 1 man operation. However, since I am a business I am grouped with commercial accounts, same as billionaire Walmart, yet I make nowhere near the money they do. I received a disconnect notice in the mail on June 26th for disconnection on June 27th in the amount of $1900. Now paying the bill would not be a problem if I had at least a week notice. I called to see if I could be given just that long and was told they don't do anything like that for commercial accounts and if I didn't pay it then it would be disconnected and if it remained unpaid for 7 days then my account would be terminated. Well they came and disconnected it and with no electric I can't work to make the money to pay them. Sadly this may be the end of my business which has been in the same location since 1980.

Original review: June 20, 2019

AEP sucks!!! They refuse to give me a warning cut-off notice or anything of any kind. I haven't received a bill in a month and a half 2 months in a row. I've had to pay $50 cut on fee for them to PUSH A DAMNED BUTTON! That's a extra $100!!! My power bill only runs a 100 to 150 now whereas before Obama it was usually 60 to $90 a month. Trump gets elected, cuts all these regulations that caused our power to go so high but have we seen a decrease in our power bills? Not from AEP. We haven't. I pray everyday for the rest of my days here on this Earth that AEP be brought down and be judged. Since I started this practice they have suffered many blows and I have a feeling they're really going to intensify now because my prayers are.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I have been critical of AEP in the past. However, I need to provide credit when due. This morning at 3am noticed only one leg of 240 vac was feeding residence but returned to normal until around 8am when the same thing happened and then returned to normal. This issue affected other residences as well. Made a call and by 10am there was a person checking the lines and told us that they would replace the Transformer and will try to get it today but if not, by Tuesday. The Transformer was replaced today with minimal power outage and I do mean minimal (<1hr). AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE, WELL DONE and MUCH APPRECIATED.

Not sure about American Electric Power?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Utility Companies for you.

American Electric Power Company Information