2.7/5 (478 ratings)

About American Electric Power

American Electric Power Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I’ve been with this power company for over 20 years and when I get behind because of getting Covid they make me pay a deposit of over 300 bucks. How can they do this when I’m already struggling to pay them.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

The lights are on but you pay out the "BEEP" for it. They rip off the consumer and blame someone else for it. I bet the CEO lives great with what they charge the consumer. They always raise rates during peak season, it should be illegal but they always get away with it. Sad when you have to pay the rates and can't do anything about it!!!

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

They are overpriced and customer service needs a lot of help to understand people’s needs. You ask for help and they will define you in an instant. They do not care if you have kids and are struggling to pay your bill. That will shut off your power and let you freeze.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

AEP is 100% a public subsidized scam and should be nationalized ASAP. They charge exorbitant amounts for late fees, make it difficult to pay them, and make it difficult to find assistance paying their exorbitant bills.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I purchased an old building, that previously 20 years prior was a small country store (very small). I wanted to put a bathroom and other items in it, and rent it out as a house. AEP refused to let me have residential rates. They also refused to turn the electric on, because they claimed it fell under commercial codes. I asked them how/what I could do, so it would not fall under commercial codes. Every time I did what they said, jumped through their hoop, they would still deny it. I contacted the state of Ohio electrical inspectors head supervisor. He stated my property would be classified as residential. AEP then said they would turn my electric on. Then about 20 min later, AEP said they would not turn it on, they would not even honor the main building electrical inspector in Ohio.

They love to throw their "POWER" around. Apparently I stepped on someones ego, and they showed me who was boss. After this, they then told their drivers to park their 10 ton bucket trucks on my property every day for a lunch break, tearing my property up. Yes, these are the jerks who run AEP. They also have no consideration for people with disabilities. It seems they have so much power in the state of Ohio, they can break any law with immunity.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

There are so many reasons to give zero stars if I could but one incident in particular made me finally write this review. We had to have the electric company come by and disconnect our meter so that we could have some electrical work done. We set it up for them to show up at 8:30 am (which they did) to turn it off and call them back when we were ready for it to be turned back on. The issue was taking longer than expected, and we called and asked if we would be able to have someone come out after hours to turn it back on seeing as how I have a medical condition at the time and couldn’t breathe, and they said, "O course," gave us a certain number to give them and we continued on. After inspection and everything was done, we called and were told they were on their way. An hour later we called back because no one showed, and they said that they had to speak with the electrician.

Called the electrician and called them back, and they said that they don’t need to speak to anyone but it would be tomorrow before they would send someone out. Spoke with someone else and they said that they would have the person that was being dispatched to our house call us and give an ETA. After going on 12 hours without power, my O2 in the 80’s, and no one telling us anything that was remotely the same, we called back and was put on hold for another hour so they could find out what was going on to tell us that they weren’t coming until tomorrow whenever they could get to us and sorry that we were misinformed. We had to shell out $200.00 for a hotel room just so I could breathe. They don’t consider anything a medical emergency apparently and didn’t show up to our house until 28 hours later to reconnect. Worst customer service ever. Unfortunately, there’s no one else who you can go through in our area and they can do what they please.

Original review: July 31, 2022

Let's start off by saying if I could give 0 stars I would. After paying $1000 to get caught up after the pandemic and paying my bill on time the past 2 months and this month bill on time get a disconnect notice 2 weeks later in the same month for $250 is ridiculous. How do they get away with doing this? When you speak to someone, they have no clue how to help or don't want to help. When you ask to speak to the manager, they beat around the bush or say they aren't available. Something needs to be done, they can't keep screwing their customers over like this.

Original review: July 26, 2022

The electric bill charges me for electricity and tax and all that, and then just lumps on an additional $30 in some other charges. This has been happening every month and I think they’re ripping people off. I hope they get sued. Someone needs to do something.

Original review: July 7, 2022

This is absolutely the worst power provider I've ever experienced. If you are running from AEP electric and lose power, plan to be without for days. NEVER has it been restored same day!! NEVER! I lose thousands of dollars a year due to power outages, and AEP has no care in the world. Most of the time it's on the hottest day of the summer. They don't get in a hurry to restore and can be found most times sitting at Hardee's.

Original review: June 29, 2022

On one of the 5 recent power outages, there was a storm. No explanation given for any of the other outages. One of them leaving us without power for almost 18 hours. No compensation for the work hours lost, the food lost, no power, no explanation and no reimbursement. They are in no hurry to get it back on and obviously aren't fixing it correctly. Today, power out for 5 hours, blue skies, no wind, no explanation, and lost another day of work. Not acceptable. Very Poor service.

American Electric Power Company Information