3.3/5 (68 ratings)

About American Electric Power

American Electric Power Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?

Original review: May 13, 2022

My power randomly went out at 6 pm yesterday. No storm or anything. Just shut off. I reported the outage. They sent a text saying it’d be on at 9 pm then at 9 by midnight then by 3 am and so on. It’s noon the following day at 11 they said it’d be on by 4. At this point it could be days. All my food will go bad and I just went shopping. No info on why it’s taking forever. You can’t talk to anyone there and they have a monopoly on power so it’s not like I can take my business elsewhere. Nobody will come out and fix my power but guarantee if I didn’t pay they’d send somebody to shut it off asap. This company is terrible.

Original review: March 11, 2022

I have been a Louisiana customer for all my adult life. Like most working American people my bills have been paid late so by no means I am the ideal customer but nonetheless I am a paying customer of 20+ years. In this area of Louisiana American Electric Power (AEP) is the only choice of electric providers we have. I feel that because of this it has limited the value of customer service we have from AEP. Because we do not have a choice of better services there is no standard to maintain customer satisfaction. Not having competitive services in this area leaves the customers here to deal with whatever AEP does because electricity is a necessity, we need the service and therefore being treated and charged unfairly.

I have called to discuss the matter with customer services representatives, and I am told there is nothing they can do to help me. I have asked to speak with a member of management, and I been placed on hold and never answered by a member of management. I submitted a written complaint over a month ago. AEP has not even bother to send a response to inform me that the written complaint has been placed in the recycle bin. I feel like a victim and this situation has caused me emotional distress.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

They need to be investigated!! I paid my bill up the past due and the rest of balance due and it came back showing $0 balance and nothing underneath said nothing about anything being owed or due. Now why all sudden it still has a remaining balance that I owe and they are making the bill higher and higher!! I think of we all got together and sued their ** then they get it right!!! We should start a petition to have them investigated!! This is not right!!! It just doesn't make any sense!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

Arielle took our call and she was great. She was able to explain to us why we were re-billed for July. She did an amazing job. Thank you for a job well done and for taking the time to explain it to us several times until we understood. She was very helpful.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

So now AEP in backing up to July and adding a refill on everyone bill...Highway Robbery is what this is, they didn't think people would look on their bills...DIRTY!! DIRTY!! DIRTY!!! This is wrong!!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

Hoping someone can help me out - I don't have a complaint yet about them, they seem to be doing ok, but now I am bothered. I always pay in advance out of fear I may run short of money in the winter. Last month was an "actual reading" (I double checked the bill) and suddenly this month an 86.73 credit was given to me on this bill, above and beyond my existing credit - with zero explanation as to why they felt the need to give me back 86.00. I have lived in this house for 13 years, so it's not a deposit refund or anything. I live in Southwestern Virginia - I am widowed and cannot afford for someone to have 86.00 of my money, that's grocery money. Does anyone know what this might be for? I find it disturbing if I have been trucking along believing the meter was an "actual reading", because if it was, why do I suddenly have this credit?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

They are not God but they sure think they are. They cannot wait even two days for a payment. They would rather hurt someone than to help. Computers run this world and AEP Ohio has no soul. Unbelievably selfish.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

I called in to extend my cutoff by a day but that was too much to ask I guess but the women went so silent. I wasn't sure if she was still there. She would begin to say something and crickets. This has been a difficult year.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I've been a customer of AEP/I&M for 32 years and it is shocking to me how they just get more & more greedy. I understood when I was younger and didnt have very good credit that a deposit was required, although it seemed odd even then that they charge such high deposits to the folks that are poverty level and struggling already. However, coming off of 2020, my husband was out of work for 14 months, and not once were we disconnected, but a couple Bills were late because with all the fees they charge (Cook Nuclear, Solar rider, energy efficient program cost, Phase in adjustment, energy efficient cost rider, etc., etc., depending on the month it's an additional $15-$70 that is not electric use) & my husband not working we struggled.

But now... 2021 & not only back to paying in full and on time & they charge $324 deposit on a current account because we had late payments. Now they already charge extra when it's late, and again, not once were we so late that we got disconnected, so no interruption in service. But now they want another $324? My husband is a T1 diabetic so we already get screwed by Big Pharma, now AEP wants to rape the consumers too. I'm over the Big Companies screwing the little guy. Solar panel Company is coming tomorrow to give me the hard estimate, and already calling to pull equity from our home. AEP is a monopoly and shouldnt be allowed to do this to people! We already told Comcast to kick rocks and bought our own router, went to Roku, cant wait to tell AEP to kick rocks too!

Original review: June 21, 2021

I have been told my electric would be on for 2 days then when I told the women I had to take my 2 year old to a hotel where she is uncomfortable with cause she has autism and throw out 325 in groceries she hung up on me after 25 min of being on hold. This the services you provide yea I record it all for the past 2 days.

American Electric Power Company Information