2.7/5 (473 ratings)

About American Electric Power

American Electric Power Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

There are so many reasons to give zero stars if I could but one incident in particular made me finally write this review. We had to have the electric company come by and disconnect our meter so that we could have some electrical work done. We set it up for them to show up at 8:30 am (which they did) to turn it off and call them back when we were ready for it to be turned back on. The issue was taking longer than expected, and we called and asked if we would be able to have someone come out after hours to turn it back on seeing as how I have a medical condition at the time and couldn’t breathe, and they said, "O course," gave us a certain number to give them and we continued on. After inspection and everything was done, we called and were told they were on their way. An hour later we called back because no one showed, and they said that they had to speak with the electrician.

Called the electrician and called them back, and they said that they don’t need to speak to anyone but it would be tomorrow before they would send someone out. Spoke with someone else and they said that they would have the person that was being dispatched to our house call us and give an ETA. After going on 12 hours without power, my O2 in the 80’s, and no one telling us anything that was remotely the same, we called back and was put on hold for another hour so they could find out what was going on to tell us that they weren’t coming until tomorrow whenever they could get to us and sorry that we were misinformed. We had to shell out $200.00 for a hotel room just so I could breathe. They don’t consider anything a medical emergency apparently and didn’t show up to our house until 28 hours later to reconnect. Worst customer service ever. Unfortunately, there’s no one else who you can go through in our area and they can do what they please.

Original review: July 31, 2022

Let's start off by saying if I could give 0 stars I would. After paying $1000 to get caught up after the pandemic and paying my bill on time the past 2 months and this month bill on time get a disconnect notice 2 weeks later in the same month for $250 is ridiculous. How do they get away with doing this? When you speak to someone, they have no clue how to help or don't want to help. When you ask to speak to the manager, they beat around the bush or say they aren't available. Something needs to be done, they can't keep screwing their customers over like this.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2022

The electric bill charges me for electricity and tax and all that, and then just lumps on an additional $30 in some other charges. This has been happening every month and I think they’re ripping people off. I hope they get sued. Someone needs to do something.

Original review: July 7, 2022

This is absolutely the worst power provider I've ever experienced. If you are running from AEP electric and lose power, plan to be without for days. NEVER has it been restored same day!! NEVER! I lose thousands of dollars a year due to power outages, and AEP has no care in the world. Most of the time it's on the hottest day of the summer. They don't get in a hurry to restore and can be found most times sitting at Hardee's.

Original review: June 29, 2022

On one of the 5 recent power outages, there was a storm. No explanation given for any of the other outages. One of them leaving us without power for almost 18 hours. No compensation for the work hours lost, the food lost, no power, no explanation and no reimbursement. They are in no hurry to get it back on and obviously aren't fixing it correctly. Today, power out for 5 hours, blue skies, no wind, no explanation, and lost another day of work. Not acceptable. Very Poor service.

Original review: June 19, 2022

Power goes out for no reason, sun was shining. Say it will be out 3 days, with no explanation. The problem is they are cheap and do not clear overgrown lines until they are already down. All my food is going bad, and the lady said she doesn't care.

Original review: May 25, 2022

I tried to pay a past due balance with AEP and was denied to do so. I would like to talk to a Representative other than the 1 who was assigned to my occupancy review to get matter resolved and to restore my service. Pls.

Original review: May 13, 2022

My power randomly went out at 6 pm yesterday. No storm or anything. Just shut off. I reported the outage. They sent a text saying it’d be on at 9 pm then at 9 by midnight then by 3 am and so on. It’s noon the following day at 11 they said it’d be on by 4. At this point it could be days. All my food will go bad and I just went shopping. No info on why it’s taking forever. You can’t talk to anyone there and they have a monopoly on power so it’s not like I can take my business elsewhere. Nobody will come out and fix my power but guarantee if I didn’t pay they’d send somebody to shut it off asap. This company is terrible.

Original review: March 11, 2022

I have been a Louisiana customer for all my adult life. Like most working American people my bills have been paid late so by no means I am the ideal customer but nonetheless I am a paying customer of 20+ years. In this area of Louisiana American Electric Power (AEP) is the only choice of electric providers we have. I feel that because of this it has limited the value of customer service we have from AEP. Because we do not have a choice of better services there is no standard to maintain customer satisfaction. Not having competitive services in this area leaves the customers here to deal with whatever AEP does because electricity is a necessity, we need the service and therefore being treated and charged unfairly.

I have called to discuss the matter with customer services representatives, and I am told there is nothing they can do to help me. I have asked to speak with a member of management, and I been placed on hold and never answered by a member of management. I submitted a written complaint over a month ago. AEP has not even bother to send a response to inform me that the written complaint has been placed in the recycle bin. I feel like a victim and this situation has caused me emotional distress.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

They need to be investigated!! I paid my bill up the past due and the rest of balance due and it came back showing $0 balance and nothing underneath said nothing about anything being owed or due. Now why all sudden it still has a remaining balance that I owe and they are making the bill higher and higher!! I think of we all got together and sued their ** then they get it right!!! We should start a petition to have them investigated!! This is not right!!! It just doesn't make any sense!!!

American Electric Power Company Information