2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

4.0/5 (194 ratings)

About American Electric Power

American Electric Power Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?

Original review: April 22, 2021

I called to see if there was anything I could do about a bill since my son Josh was in car accident and broke his neck and fractured his spine. The electric was shut off and they told me there was no assistance they could offer me. My other son Gerald is still living in the home and can’t afford to pay this bill off and they would not provide any assistance. They do this to people because they are only electric company in the area.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

My AEP bill was $178.77. It is only me living at my residence. I heat with gas. My gas bill was $50.57. I called AEP to question this high out of normal bill. I found discrepancies in my past bills regarding extra kWh charges that were not displayed on my bills. The customer service representative was rude and was not listening to me regarding my concerns with the overcharges. She stated “There are going to be extra charges in your bills you aren’t going to be able to see due to the changes in the kWH during the billing terms”. This is not legal.

Just as an example, on a past bill from 12-09/2019 the generation service charge I was charged was $49.21 @ $0.054 kWh. I redid all the calculations and it should have been $48.98. (Algorithm I used - My meter reading 907 x 0.054=48.978 which means my Generation service charge should’ve been $48.98.) I was charged 0.23 cents more. Being the old school person I am. I keep all my AEP bills! I went back through all the bills and found miscalculations in every one of my AEP statements. I told the woman at AEP this just today and she said the above quotation I typed above. This is illegal! Any charges are to be printed in plain site on the bill. Get ready????

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I would be fully off grid if I was able to, especially having to deal with AEP. My electricity is down more than any electric company I have ever been with. I have a handicapped mom living with me and they don't give a rat's butt if she lives or dies. I also work from home full time and when my electricity is down, I do not have internet or phone. If you plan on moving to an area with AEP, I would avoid it like the plague or like Covid-19. Unbelievably irresponsible company.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I realize this will not be allowed on (The AEP) site, however, I don't know how to send a message of complaint as I was hung up on by 2 supervisors in customer service when they answered. Your CSR was very professional and polite but when she put me into the cue, as soon as the supervisor answered, they hung up without a word. My account is ****. I notified AEP Prior to September 30, 2020 that my last day at the address for the above account was September 30. The notification was ignored and when the landlord tried to change the account on the 9th you entered a forced closure. (AEP) Please correct the following issues. 1. When you receive payment with cancellation in writing accept that as the cancellation. 2. Please refund the amount charged from October 1 through October 9th to my account and send the refund to my current address. 3. Take the forced closure from my records. Thank you, Joel ...

Original review: July 16, 2020

I had no technical problems with the company. However, after moving out of a rental, I called to close my account and pay the partial month. Customer service in the company informed me that the last bill I got with the $57 is actually credit and not a bill, so no action needed. Just two months later, I am checking my credit report, and I see a collection account. I have an "Exceptional" payment record. I have never missed a payment in my life. I called the company, I paid the money immediately, but they were very rude and unhelpful.

Every time a new person responds to the email. They deny the fact that I actually made any contact with them. I got a detailed bill from Verizon showing that I called them and talked to them for three full minutes, and they are still denying. This is documented in my email correspondence with customer service. A couple of months later, I find them sending me a check with part of that money back. The company is a mess, and now I will be stuck with a $57 collection account on my report for five more years because of that company and its incompetent customer service.

Original review: May 7, 2020

AEP is committing fraud with opt out meter scam! They're offering opt out of smart meter and deceiving public installing what they say is digital meter but it is in fact a smart meter with same capabilities and charging 25 a month extra claiming they must come read it in person. This is false. Their own worker of 35 years stated it was a smart meter and communicates with other meters and poles nobody needs to come read it! The company that makes meter aclara technologies also confirmed it's a smart meter. Just has no blue stripe to deceive public! Also rf frequency meters pick up microwave, sound, anf freq coming from meter and electricians have also verified it's a scam! Aep denies this and lies in emails stating it emits nothing! They also state not to share or show they're lying emails to anyone and expose them!

They do not install meters with basic electrician safety. They jerk it out and slam smart meter in without cleaning or lubing or inspecting connections, my electrics been out daily many times and ruined appliances from surges due to this and they refuse to do anything. Now I must sue them in court! Ridiculous. They belong in prison all of them! The department of energy a subsidiary of defense should regulate them better! It was proven in supreme court circuit 7 2018 by David Gulbransen law firm to violate our rights illegal search as they use flir technology to spy on all of us in homes, watch us shower and sleep with spouses etc.. And they sell the info to police or highest bidder! This is all facts proven in supreme court! Aep works for Satan!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Turned power off without notice or warning. Claims a letter was sent. It's February 17th and I live in Michigan. It's winter. I have 2 small children and no power so no heat or hot water. Trying to get service installed but am told it will be 1-3 days.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

I reported a street light out in Heath Ohio on Licking View Drive. To this day over 2 months later AEP has not touched the light. I think it’s down right sad that kids waiting at the bus stop are in the dark!!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Okay for years I had First Energy and then out of the blue am getting AEP on my electric bill. A few years ago I got a phone call from I THOUGHT was First Energy but was AEP. These crooks somehow got me as a customer without me even knowing or understanding about it and now they did it again! These crooks have to swindle you into becoming a customer then they are pretty darn crooked in my opinion. This time I think I got a letter but unless I respond would be an AEP customer. My blood pressure is already high. Now I am dealing with this crap again.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I have NEVER had my electric disconnected, though I did get a little behind. AEP began charging me an extra $58.00 in addition to my regular bill, labeling it "Deposit". I paid a deposit years ago when I had my account opened & after a year it was credited back to me. I called the Customer Service Center & I was then advised that because I had been late 3 months in a row they charged me a deposit of $174.00, split in 3 month installments. They said I was advised on July '19 bill. After looking it up online, because I went paperless: it was literally on page 7 of 8. AND the deposit amount is NOT listed. AGAIN: NEVER HAD POWER SHUT OFF. AEP did install "Smart Readers" by their choice... This is a scam to recoup those costs. SCAM ARTISTS.

American Electric Power Company Information