1.21/5
Based on 182 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a utility company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

189 American Electric Power Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Where to start! I have lived at my residence for almost 10 years now and about 10 to 20 times a year I have to call AEP because the electricity is out. If it rains the electricity goes out, if the wind blows the electricity goes out. Our transformers have blown out no less than 15 times and it has sent power surges through my house so severe that it has blown everything in my house even on surge protectors. So I call them every time and when the guys get out here they say I’m out here again! But they don’t fix the problem just band-aid it until the next time. So seeing on how they are the only electricity company in our area what do they do, raise their prices and give bad service. I’m guessing that they don’t care judging by their 1 star rating and 181 bad reviews.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I'm just wondering if anyone else's bill is like this? 68% of my bill is because of the delivery charge, while the supply charge is only 32%. I mean, I get that of course I'd pay for delivery alongside supply, but have to pay a bill that is almost 70% for DELIVERY is kind of ridiculous.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

AEP had maintenance scheduled but didn't give any form of warning whatsoever. Because of their lack of a heads up the multiple power surges from this maintenance has caused my 1.200 dollar 65 in LG TV to fry out as well as my PSU for my custom gaming computer. Neither of which will be replaced by AEP, not to mention the food that I had recently purchased and had to chuck because of the thawing that occurred due to the extended period of power outage during this maintenance. AEP has been a thorn in my side and I wholeheartedly suggest that people keep away from this utility and perhaps try to find a place to live in a state that's not handled by AEP or their affiliates. My only wish is that I could rate this utility lower than 1 star.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

SWEPCO is the absolute worst electric company to have. Due to where we stay we have no choice but to put up with it. If the wind blow too hard the lights go out or if a slight rain come thru the lights out. I'm signed up for text alerts so they would send a message saying the power will be restored at one time but that can be 3 to 4 hours later. They will send you at least 2 or 3 more messages rescheduling the restoring time. I once went 3 days without power in my area because of this company. I absolutely hate SWEPCO and would not recommend anyone to them.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

They shut my power off when I was 9 hours late on a $70 balance. Then, they were kind enough to charge me a $1500 “deposit”, no worries. They were quick to tell me how “lucky” I was that they are only adding $300 to all my bills for the next 5 months. Paid $671 this month... I’ve worked in customer service for years and wow. -372 stars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Have put in two tickets with 811 to have the lines in my backyard marked before I plant bushes. Called AEP today as every other utility has been there and marked the lines. AEP says they don't mark lines from the pedestal to the meter. Although they did this after the hurricane when all the fencing had to be replaced. Michelle with AEP said they must of done that because "they were in a good mood." I then spoke with Michael, her supervisor. He said they only mark lines they own. When asked why did they not then mark the lines in the basement along the back fence he said they don't mark lines, it is a subcontractor and I would have to call 811 back. What a runaround! AEP does not care about the safety of the homeowner as their website clearly states. What a joke they are.

Original review: June 29, 2018

AEP allowed a company called APGNE to be our supply. We didn't give anyone permission. They charged us double bill, the utility commission said it's a Texas based company so they can't do anything. We ask them to take it off. Had to fight with them to take it off, still on our bill. When I called both companies were rude, the woman at AEP told me, "Pay the bill and we will turn it back on," did I have anymore questions. AEP showed up 2 days early from the arrangement shut off power, had to borrow money. They said we had no payment arrangement in computer. It wasn't even 3 wks since I paid them $453. We have paid them over 2000 in one month. They say we still owe 758. Getting to the point might have to go with no electric. Had to skip house payment so I could pay electric. We are trying to stay afloat and we are sinking fast. My husband is disabled. I work 50 hrs wk. Something has to be done. Would give negative stars if I could!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have had AEP and their computer system kick me out of it 3 times. They made payment arrangements with me and the customer service representatives keeps giving me misinformation about the payment plan. Today they shut my electric off and when I called the customer service representative said I wasn’t in a payment plan for the 3rd time. So I called corporate and spoke with a supervisor there who was very nasty. Instead of wanting to take care of my problem she reminded that I have a $180.00 bill due on July 7th. I asked her because of all the problems this month with the company if she could take a % off my bill to fix the inconvenience for this month, mind you I didn’t want the electric that I used this month taken away just the deposit.

She kept saying can I talk, getting very argumentative. And mind you this is a supervisor at their corporate office. Needless to say my wife told me to hang up on her and I did that so before my “$180” is due my electric will get cut off again. I’m sure because the supervisors at their corporate office are more argumentative than the main customer service agents. And the corporate number is 614 716-1000. I don’t remember the lady's name, if you have her and get a compliment you will know who I am speaking of. Trust me.

Original review: April 30, 2018

In our area Swepco is the monopoly owner, a branch of AEP. They sent a man to my house to disconnect my power, since my bill had already been paid I was pissed smooth off, call only to find or they “need a copy of my lease.” Which they say they emailed to me (went to the wrong email address) and then said a letter was mailed (got it two days after they shut it off, they also disconnected it a day sooner than THEIR letter stated they would). When I asked the man to not turn off the power and take a copy of the lease with him because I have a 3 month old baby in the home I was told it wasn’t his problem and he drove off. This woman “Ann” who works for the company has yet to return a call to me since then, hasn’t sent an email (I corrected the email they had on file) nor has she sent someone to turn the power back on.

6 days we’ve had nothing, we’ve lost hundreds of dollars in food, we’ve had no heat, and we’ve had to pay for a hotel to keep our daughter comfortable. All of which I should not be having to go through. If you want a lease it should be required upfront rather than later down the road. I’m reaching out to my local senator to help start a bill to stop them from being allowed to shut off services with a child in the home. If they can’t do their job why the hell does my child have to suffer?

I live two blocks away from the other power companies starting point and it sucks. If they had actual offices in towns they serve they wouldn’t treat people the way they do. They’d have an idea how to treat people. Screw AEP/SWEPCO. I hope someone who gives a crap about the company finds a way to either better staff and properly train them or step aside and let someone who gives a crap about the really bad image the company is leaving for people and they find a way to undo the damage this company is doing to its customer base.

Original review: March 24, 2018

So AEP charged $40.00 for a so call "trip fee" to tell me something that I already knew. I knew that my bill was due and I was working on it. I knew that I was up for disconnection. Why on earth would they charge me $40.00 just because they came out and put a notice on my door? When did this start? Why would they do this to people that are already behind on their bill? This needs to be addressed and halted immediately! It's not right.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Well like everyone else in the Roanoke VA area my electric bill has doubled and their reason is the cold weather. Ok well it was cold last year and the year before that and for a two bedroom one bath trailer my bill has never been over $200. But this year it's $400 because it's cold outside. Get real, we the people are not stupid. Someone is trying to retire or increase their pay through the average American's hardworking money. My electric bill is the most expensive bill I pay in a month. It's over half my paycheck and I'm never home and cut my heat off last month to lower the bill yet it didn't change a thing. And being a monopoly AEP is the only option we have!!! AEP you suck. But I made a promise before next winter I will have my whole place running on a generator or solar energy. I'm not going to allow you to extort me and my family because you think we need your electric!!

Original review: March 6, 2018

I had to replace a breaker on my house so when I finally got the inspector certification took forever to get anyone and they could not give me a time to expect them. Still waiting and I cannot keep using sick time because of them not keeping tabs on their trucks. It's the 21st century and there is stuff called LoJack. You should be able to provide a time as much I pay them a month!

Original review: March 2, 2018

I never had an issue with this company. A couple of times when I needed an extension on my bill, they gave it to me without asking any questions. The bills were always accurate.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I just got my electric bill and I am shocked and appalled to see that my bill has DOUBLED for the same time last year. This is disgusting and someone needs to do something about it. My bill is for $214 for one month! The coldest winter month bill I ever received, which was last year, was for approx. $108.00. Last month's bill was $181.00 which is outrageous as well. I have a small, 3 bed, 2 bath home in the country in Niles, Michigan and... Well I may as well just tell them to shut off my power completely. This is just sick. Who in the he-- approved this kind of increase?! AEP/I&M needs to be investigated and something needs to be done about this highway robbery!!!

Original review: March 1, 2018

I have been their customer for 30 years. Easy to contact by phone, and to pay bill via website. However, on the rare occasion when I contacted them by email, I have never received a response.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I live in an 1800 square foot home in Roanoke, Virginia. I have lived here since 1992, My electric bills have continued to rise steadily through the years and I considered them high even back then. I was shocked beyond belief when this winter presented me with an enormous bill which is 20% more than I usually pay. I am even on their "budget monthly plan" where the bill is supposed remain the same throughout the year. They claim that I have reached "my annual anniversary" date requires them to charge me for overages over the past 12 months divided by 12.

My new bill will be 20% higher for the next 12 months. As I stated earlier I have witnessed the appreciation of these rates over many years and nothing has basically changed in this household. I am no longer employed and depend on social security and a pension to survive. All household expenses have risen over the years but the rise in electricity rates is basically highway robbery. I have contacted various legislators and filed a complaint with the Virginia State Utility Commission as well as various online petitions in the hopes that something can be done about this runaway Utility Company American Electric Power.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Well for starters during non winter months my electric bill for a tiny 1 bedroom apartment in Roanoke VA. averaged $29 U.S.D. monthly. After using heat during the January billing cycle was $116 U.S.D. so immediately after seeing that bill I cut the heater off as in permanently. So I was expecting at least a break on my next bill but lo and behold my next bill was $132 U.S.D. (after completely cutting off heat and freezing for the past month). I want it kept in mind that I am in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment and the only electric I am using is as follows. Lights (very limited use), water heater (daily), charging 1 cellphone (daily), cooking (maybe 3 times a week). I am not using the following. The Furnace or AC unit, refrigerator (its unplugged and not in use), TV (I do not own one), internet (I do not have a provider), radio/stereo (I do not own one).

So using lights only for a few hours per night. Charging a cellphone. And daily use of a water heater to shower once a day does not rack up 1137 kwh. And how in the world is the delivery charge $29.27 all of a sudden.. I use to have bills that were only $29 in totality! AEP is simply dishonest and ripping off all of their customers and even worse using the extreme cold snap to exploit their customers. I didn't even use heat for the past month!! I'm gonna contact all of my representatives. I'm also not the only one in VA complaining of this. Tons of people are!!!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

They are quick to get electric on after an outage but their customer service needs improvement. There's too much of a wait when calling after going through automated call.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

This company has improved tremendously over the two decades since we moved back to Ohio, as has their Website. We use their site to review and pay our electric bill and it is both convenient & easy to use.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have a vacant home that is kept shut up with the thermostat set low. I have family who checks on it. When my bill tripled and I mentioned it on their Facebook, their response was for me to wear a jacket, use blankets, and manage my money better. I thought that was rude and arrogant. I wasn't complaining, just stating a fact and that was their response. What a joke.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Everyone in my area received a huge bill this month which is the highest I’ve seen at my residence. AEP is claiming that it is due to unusually low temperatures but it’s been colder in years past. Instead of replying intelligently to my email, they send me a website to be more energy efficient when I’ve already done that in the past.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

My bill doubled this month and I was not even in the house! I was moving and this house was closed up with no one in there. All appliances and heating/central unit is brand new. So there was no problem with any of the items in the house to run this bill up. I contacted AEP and they argued with me over and over about how it was cold and it was not them it was the house! This house was built in 2009. Not a thing wrong with it! I also have a problem with them not applying my full check onto the account. I sent them a check and they cashed it through the bank but never applied it to the account. I called and still nothing back from them. Then a street light that I pay for them to take care of went from 14.18 to 32.86 in one month!!!! They are ripping people off!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I am Absolutely Furious that AEP can charge you whatever they want and get by with it! My electric bill went from $400 a month to $779.00!!! They will say it is because of the cold weather but that is an outrageous lie! The cold weather had not even started yet! Sad but what can be done? How can they even close their eyes at night and sleep! I would be haunted the rest of my life if I were cheating anyone this way!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Tell me how I can check my meter reading on the 23rd, and after subtracting the reading from my previous reading, my bill was estimated at around 360 with usage of 3000 some. Within two days from that reading my meter reading jumped up to the total of 8000 some totalling a bill over 800 after they read my meter. They adjusted the meter reading to double my actual billing. AEP doesn't care for their consumers. They don't care that I'm disabled, elderly, and having to sit in my home and freeze due to the fear of how high the next month bill they will send me, I can't run my heat. Last month my bill was 600, I was told it could be my furnace so a repairman came to ensure everything was alright.

Everything is working great, my home is weatherproofed, lights aren't burned continually, but yet my electric raises 200. If I don't want to lose my home I have to freeze in hopes my bill goes down. Looks like financially I have to shorten my meals to one a day. Hopefully whomever is needing to fatten their pockets for a coming vacation or something has gained the money they needed and will stop cheating us poor people whom lives on a budget.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Rates are getting ridiculous. I mean really it doubled in a month, really guys. We want an explanation. Why should we each have to pay high rates for someone's retirement and etc. This is ridiculous. Here I am on layoff and my electric bill is higher this month than what I usually make in two weeks' time. It's bad when you have to choose whether your kids eat or you pay the electric bill so they will stay warm. Feel some compassion. You may be helping your own pockets and employees but a doubled bill and taking food from my kids' mouths is crazy. How do you guys sleep at night. We want answers NOW!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

So AEP wanted me to pay $150 activation fee. The way it could be waived is if I provided them with a letter of credit from my previous electric company. They gave me an email address to send it to. I had my electric company email the letter to them and received a confirmation email. 7 days later I come home from work and my power is off. I called AEP and they said they never received the letter since they are checking faxes and not emails and so they sent someone out to disconnect my power. No call, no email, just disconnected it... Since it is the middle of winter I can either stay at my apartment or rent a hotel. I’m promised they will come out tomorrow morning but who knows what time. They couldn’t have tacked it onto my first bill? Ridiculous. I don’t think they understand how shutting someone’s power off really screws that person over... All for $150.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Someone used my social to obtain electric AEP. Never questioned name when they ran credit. They even shut off electricity to property where my social was used, locked it etc. The thugs went broke meter box and turned power back on. At no time did AEP question or investigate. As I learned now I call to get electric on at my residence that's when I find out now AEP has required that I show proof of residency for 7 months which I continued to provide and have been continuously told not enough. I have since went back to two years with proof of residency. I was told if I did power would be on even by the CEO of AEP.

This is far from the truth now. I'm being told name is not relevant which it is. I was made to pay a deposit up front in full to start service. Was never told anything until I called back to see why power was not on. They have been extremely rude, argumentative and telling me it's not their job to verify information. It's going on two weeks now. I have had to replace pipes etc cause of no power. They allowed these thugs to run up a 658.00 bill. This is out there.

Resolution response: Nov. 6, 2017

After getting a hold of a manager to review my recorded phone call she found that aep was in error and removed the $134 charge from my electric bill. The manager was very nice and understanding.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

AEP is charging me $134 for an after hours service call that they say I made. According to them my electric box was tripped and they went out "after hours to turn the breaker switch back to on." I did call to see if there was a known power outage in the area and the representative told me there was and that it was already being worked on to give them an hour. Now 2 months later they are charging me service call fee! When asked to provide me with a voice recording of me saying I wanted them to come out to my house they all of sudden can't find one. How are they able to get away with this?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My light bill used to stay the same because we NEVER deviate what we use on a daily basis. So it was coming every month at the minimum of 154.00 which was good and what I also calculated on our meter; then we get 2 bills 2 months in a row of almost the exact amount of a minimum bill at 243.00. Then I find out the city is tearing down some government housing apartments; that people are struggling to pay their light bills because they are being forced to move, coincidence? I do not think so. I am contacting a law firm that handles these type cases as I am typing this complaint. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping people out like the ones they're making move, but I want to do it on my own terms; not have the power company raise my light bill, which has been the same for over 5 years. I read my meter every month as well and I do have documentation; photos/dates/times/the exact meter reads, so this is on them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I just moved from Texas last Wednesday to stay rent free at my ex's house. He left for Texas to work for my current boyfriend. I live here rent free and my job is to keep up with the house and utilities. I call PSO/AEP and set up an account and paid my deposit the same day. I was then told my account was under occupancy review. They refused service. The customer service reps were extremely rude!! I was told I couldn't have electric because of an outstanding bill from my ex, the previous occupant. So, I paid almost 700.00 on what was supposed to be my ex's account. They restore power.

My ex gets a voicemail saying they will be shutting off power because the electric is in his grandparents name. They are both deceased. His grandfather 10 years, and his grandmother as of Friday. So, I paid an account that wasn't even mine or my ex's. I paid for his grandmothers account. I'm not even related to these people. They told me in order to get service an account had to be paid. I was under the impression it was my ex's. They played a huge game just to get money! If my money isn't refunded and an account in my name isn't accepted... I will be taking them to court! This is the only company around and what they are doing to people is fraud! Something needs to be done ASAP!

American Electric Power Company Information