1.21/5

Need a utility company?

Need a utility company?

American Electric Power Reviews

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

AEP is crooks. They charge what they want. Too bad there is not a another provider. If you get a month behind they will stick it to you. There is poor folks out here. Sometimes you get behind and they make it hell to catch up so AEP sucks.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

On 9-30-19 our house had an electrical problem & we called our electrician & he said that PSO had some faulty wires. I had a triple bypass surgery & have not been able to work. We had to go sleep at a friend’s house because it was too hot in the house. The lineman who came out was very rude to us & not polite at all. He was mad because he had to come out. Then he left without saying anything to us or updating us. I had to call to see what was the next step. All of our food was ruined because of PSO. All our light bulbs blew out. William ** sent me a letter on 10-4-19 stating that he was rejecting our claim. PSO wires caused a great hardship. We had a couple of churches donate food to us because I cant work due to my heart condition until I get better. Our house is dark & our fridge got damaged. About 8 bulbs blew. One fan got burned.

Your PSO company put us under a great hardship with your merciless decision to not replace any of damaged things. I just wanted to let you know how the company you are leading is working with the public. If I knew there was another choice for me to get power from. I would go. I feel that maybe we were discriminated because of our last name & no one even called us to see what took place. I soon as I can walk, gain my physical strength, I am going to tell as many people as I can of what PSO to us. I hope you can sleep in peace because we can’t. Our house is dark & thieves may think that no one lives here.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I had not received a bill for awhile and I called AEP to find out why and I was told that I had been put on a paperless billing pilot program, and this was done without my permission. I was told this is because I used Huntington Bank bill pay to pay my bill and I was targeted and put on this program automatically. This is **!!! And to put Icing on the cake they sent my bill to an 11 year old email address, which is no longer in use. You would think that they would at least confirm that the email address they are sending your bill to is correct and up to date. This was not done. I have filed a Complaint with the Ohio public utilities commission. I feel that without my permission they are committing fraud against the consumer by forcing consumers to join something without authorization from the consumer. AEP should be brought up on criminal charges, and forced to compensate the consumers for stress caused by this so called in house billing pilot program.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I own a auto repair shop and I am a 1 man operation. However, since I am a business I am grouped with commercial accounts, same as billionaire Walmart, yet I make nowhere near the money they do. I received a disconnect notice in the mail on June 26th for disconnection on June 27th in the amount of $1900. Now paying the bill would not be a problem if I had at least a week notice. I called to see if I could be given just that long and was told they don't do anything like that for commercial accounts and if I didn't pay it then it would be disconnected and if it remained unpaid for 7 days then my account would be terminated. Well they came and disconnected it and with no electric I can't work to make the money to pay them. Sadly this may be the end of my business which has been in the same location since 1980.

Original review: June 20, 2019

AEP sucks!!! They refuse to give me a warning cut-off notice or anything of any kind. I haven't received a bill in a month and a half 2 months in a row. I've had to pay $50 cut on fee for them to PUSH A DAMNED BUTTON! That's a extra $100!!! My power bill only runs a 100 to 150 now whereas before Obama it was usually 60 to $90 a month. Trump gets elected, cuts all these regulations that caused our power to go so high but have we seen a decrease in our power bills? Not from AEP. We haven't. I pray everyday for the rest of my days here on this Earth that AEP be brought down and be judged. Since I started this practice they have suffered many blows and I have a feeling they're really going to intensify now because my prayers are.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?

Original review: May 25, 2019

I have been critical of AEP in the past. However, I need to provide credit when due. This morning at 3am noticed only one leg of 240 vac was feeding residence but returned to normal until around 8am when the same thing happened and then returned to normal. This issue affected other residences as well. Made a call and by 10am there was a person checking the lines and told us that they would replace the Transformer and will try to get it today but if not, by Tuesday. The Transformer was replaced today with minimal power outage and I do mean minimal (<1hr). AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE, WELL DONE and MUCH APPRECIATED.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Our electric bill with AEP has been $300 to $700 every month for the past 2 years. We had our AC checked out of concern and the tech found nothing wrong with it. We have brand new windows, use low energy bulbs and insulate under doors with no effect to our bill. The local news found that AEP have been overspending on advertising, lobbying and CEO salaries which is where these overcharges are going. I haven't paid more than $200 per month in the dead of winter on the electric bill until 2017. We're about to go broke trying to keep our lights on, this is insane.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I've always paid American Electric Power Company every single month and back in November of last year American Electric Power Company stole $188.16 from me. They claimed that the $188.16 didn't go through even though I KNOW 100% FOR SURE that my $188.16 back in November DID go through. Then American Power Company claims to have returned my $188.16 and want me to pay their scam selfs $9 something for returning my $188.16 THAT THEY NEVER RETURNED and now they keep changing me more money every single month and I STILL HAVE NEVER GOT MY $188.16 BACK FROM THEM.

And then I tried to switch to StateWise Energy and I get something in the mail saying that StateWise Energy cancel my switch to StateWise so I called StateWise Energy and asking them WHY were they cancel my switch to StateWise Energy and the person that I talked to at StateWise told me THAT AMERICAN POWER COMPANY IS REALLY THE ONES THAT CANCEL MY SWITCH TO STATEWISE ENERGY.

I am already going to be taken American Power Company to the Supreme Court and sue American Power Company for $10.000 dollars. American Power Company ONLY CARES ABOUT MAKING MONEY OFF OF PEOPLE. They really don't care about anything else but making money off other people so don't be scared of suing American Power Company.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have two AEP accounts at my house. One is for my house and one is for my pool. I turn my break off for the pool in Oct and turn it back on in April or May. In 2017 my pool account balance was always zero. Somewhere along the way AEP now charges me for not using electric. I have to pay them 3-5 dollars a month just to be their customer. THIS IS A JOKE! I guess I am also paying it on my house bill as well. AEP can't even tell me what the fee is for and when it went into effect. I think a lawyer needs to look into what AEP is charging their customers. This doesn't seem legal. I could see a usage fee or tax but how do you charge me a bill when I am not using your electricity. Please tell me!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I spoke with three representatives for AEP via phone, one claiming to be a supervisor, about an incorrect bill I received. AEP took an actual reading of my meter for this bill and is attempting to charge more for previous months when an actual reading was not taken. But they can’t attribute a specific amount to any given month unless an actual reading is taken. So if their estimate is off they have to adjust and make up for it on the month when an actual reading has taken place. But that is not what my bill reflects. The meter only shows a total used so there isn’t a way to look back at previous usages from the meter. My bill does not reflect this. They are attempting to add random charges to previous months.

When I explained this all three reps were not mentally competent and could not understand basic logic or basic math. The supposed supervisor was extremely rude and stupid. I informed them verbally and in writing that they billed incorrectly and if it isn’t corrected, and they happen to send a disconnect notice, I will have to take action against AEP.

American Electric Power Company Information