1.22/5
Based on 173 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

Last updated: March 24, 2018

180 American Electric Power Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 24, 2018

So AEP charged $40.00 for a so call "trip fee" to tell me something that I already knew. I knew that my bill was due and I was working on it. I knew that I was up for disconnection. Why on earth would they charge me $40.00 just because they came out and put a notice on my door? When did this start? Why would they do this to people that are already behind on their bill? This needs to be addressed and halted immediately! It's not right.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Well like everyone else in the Roanoke VA area my electric bill has doubled and their reason is the cold weather. Ok well it was cold last year and the year before that and for a two bedroom one bath trailer my bill has never been over $200. But this year it's $400 because it's cold outside. Get real, we the people are not stupid. Someone is trying to retire or increase their pay through the average American's hardworking money. My electric bill is the most expensive bill I pay in a month. It's over half my paycheck and I'm never home and cut my heat off last month to lower the bill yet it didn't change a thing. And being a monopoly AEP is the only option we have!!! AEP you suck. But I made a promise before next winter I will have my whole place running on a generator or solar energy. I'm not going to allow you to extort me and my family because you think we need your electric!!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I had to replace a breaker on my house so when I finally got the inspector certification took forever to get anyone and they could not give me a time to expect them. Still waiting and I cannot keep using sick time because of them not keeping tabs on their trucks. It's the 21st century and there is stuff called LoJack. You should be able to provide a time as much I pay them a month!

Original review: March 2, 2018

I never had an issue with this company. A couple of times when I needed an extension on my bill, they gave it to me without asking any questions. The bills were always accurate.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I just got my electric bill and I am shocked and appalled to see that my bill has DOUBLED for the same time last year. This is disgusting and someone needs to do something about it. My bill is for $214 for one month! The coldest winter month bill I ever received, which was last year, was for approx. $108.00. Last month's bill was $181.00 which is outrageous as well. I have a small, 3 bed, 2 bath home in the country in Niles, Michigan and... Well I may as well just tell them to shut off my power completely. This is just sick. Who in the he-- approved this kind of increase?! AEP/I&M needs to be investigated and something needs to be done about this highway robbery!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?

Original review: March 1, 2018

I have been their customer for 30 years. Easy to contact by phone, and to pay bill via website. However, on the rare occasion when I contacted them by email, I have never received a response.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I live in an 1800 square foot home in Roanoke, Virginia. I have lived here since 1992, My electric bills have continued to rise steadily through the years and I considered them high even back then. I was shocked beyond belief when this winter presented me with an enormous bill which is 20% more than I usually pay. I am even on their "budget monthly plan" where the bill is supposed remain the same throughout the year. They claim that I have reached "my annual anniversary" date requires them to charge me for overages over the past 12 months divided by 12.

My new bill will be 20% higher for the next 12 months. As I stated earlier I have witnessed the appreciation of these rates over many years and nothing has basically changed in this household. I am no longer employed and depend on social security and a pension to survive. All household expenses have risen over the years but the rise in electricity rates is basically highway robbery. I have contacted various legislators and filed a complaint with the Virginia State Utility Commission as well as various online petitions in the hopes that something can be done about this runaway Utility Company American Electric Power.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Well for starters during non winter months my electric bill for a tiny 1 bedroom apartment in Roanoke VA. averaged $29 U.S.D. monthly. After using heat during the January billing cycle was $116 U.S.D. so immediately after seeing that bill I cut the heater off as in permanently. So I was expecting at least a break on my next bill but lo and behold my next bill was $132 U.S.D. (after completely cutting off heat and freezing for the past month). I want it kept in mind that I am in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment and the only electric I am using is as follows. Lights (very limited use), water heater (daily), charging 1 cellphone (daily), cooking (maybe 3 times a week). I am not using the following. The Furnace or AC unit, refrigerator (its unplugged and not in use), TV (I do not own one), internet (I do not have a provider), radio/stereo (I do not own one).

So using lights only for a few hours per night. Charging a cellphone. And daily use of a water heater to shower once a day does not rack up 1137 kwh. And how in the world is the delivery charge $29.27 all of a sudden.. I use to have bills that were only $29 in totality! AEP is simply dishonest and ripping off all of their customers and even worse using the extreme cold snap to exploit their customers. I didn't even use heat for the past month!! I'm gonna contact all of my representatives. I'm also not the only one in VA complaining of this. Tons of people are!!!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

They are quick to get electric on after an outage but their customer service needs improvement. There's too much of a wait when calling after going through automated call.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

This company has improved tremendously over the two decades since we moved back to Ohio, as has their Website. We use their site to review and pay our electric bill and it is both convenient & easy to use.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have a vacant home that is kept shut up with the thermostat set low. I have family who checks on it. When my bill tripled and I mentioned it on their Facebook, their response was for me to wear a jacket, use blankets, and manage my money better. I thought that was rude and arrogant. I wasn't complaining, just stating a fact and that was their response. What a joke.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Everyone in my area received a huge bill this month which is the highest I’ve seen at my residence. AEP is claiming that it is due to unusually low temperatures but it’s been colder in years past. Instead of replying intelligently to my email, they send me a website to be more energy efficient when I’ve already done that in the past.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

My bill doubled this month and I was not even in the house! I was moving and this house was closed up with no one in there. All appliances and heating/central unit is brand new. So there was no problem with any of the items in the house to run this bill up. I contacted AEP and they argued with me over and over about how it was cold and it was not them it was the house! This house was built in 2009. Not a thing wrong with it! I also have a problem with them not applying my full check onto the account. I sent them a check and they cashed it through the bank but never applied it to the account. I called and still nothing back from them. Then a street light that I pay for them to take care of went from 14.18 to 32.86 in one month!!!! They are ripping people off!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I am Absolutely Furious that AEP can charge you whatever they want and get by with it! My electric bill went from $400 a month to $779.00!!! They will say it is because of the cold weather but that is an outrageous lie! The cold weather had not even started yet! Sad but what can be done? How can they even close their eyes at night and sleep! I would be haunted the rest of my life if I were cheating anyone this way!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Tell me how I can check my meter reading on the 23rd, and after subtracting the reading from my previous reading, my bill was estimated at around 360 with usage of 3000 some. Within two days from that reading my meter reading jumped up to the total of 8000 some totalling a bill over 800 after they read my meter. They adjusted the meter reading to double my actual billing. AEP doesn't care for their consumers. They don't care that I'm disabled, elderly, and having to sit in my home and freeze due to the fear of how high the next month bill they will send me, I can't run my heat. Last month my bill was 600, I was told it could be my furnace so a repairman came to ensure everything was alright.

Everything is working great, my home is weatherproofed, lights aren't burned continually, but yet my electric raises 200. If I don't want to lose my home I have to freeze in hopes my bill goes down. Looks like financially I have to shorten my meals to one a day. Hopefully whomever is needing to fatten their pockets for a coming vacation or something has gained the money they needed and will stop cheating us poor people whom lives on a budget.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Rates are getting ridiculous. I mean really it doubled in a month, really guys. We want an explanation. Why should we each have to pay high rates for someone's retirement and etc. This is ridiculous. Here I am on layoff and my electric bill is higher this month than what I usually make in two weeks' time. It's bad when you have to choose whether your kids eat or you pay the electric bill so they will stay warm. Feel some compassion. You may be helping your own pockets and employees but a doubled bill and taking food from my kids' mouths is crazy. How do you guys sleep at night. We want answers NOW!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

So AEP wanted me to pay $150 activation fee. The way it could be waived is if I provided them with a letter of credit from my previous electric company. They gave me an email address to send it to. I had my electric company email the letter to them and received a confirmation email. 7 days later I come home from work and my power is off. I called AEP and they said they never received the letter since they are checking faxes and not emails and so they sent someone out to disconnect my power. No call, no email, just disconnected it... Since it is the middle of winter I can either stay at my apartment or rent a hotel. I’m promised they will come out tomorrow morning but who knows what time. They couldn’t have tacked it onto my first bill? Ridiculous. I don’t think they understand how shutting someone’s power off really screws that person over... All for $150.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Someone used my social to obtain electric AEP. Never questioned name when they ran credit. They even shut off electricity to property where my social was used, locked it etc. The thugs went broke meter box and turned power back on. At no time did AEP question or investigate. As I learned now I call to get electric on at my residence that's when I find out now AEP has required that I show proof of residency for 7 months which I continued to provide and have been continuously told not enough. I have since went back to two years with proof of residency. I was told if I did power would be on even by the CEO of AEP.

This is far from the truth now. I'm being told name is not relevant which it is. I was made to pay a deposit up front in full to start service. Was never told anything until I called back to see why power was not on. They have been extremely rude, argumentative and telling me it's not their job to verify information. It's going on two weeks now. I have had to replace pipes etc cause of no power. They allowed these thugs to run up a 658.00 bill. This is out there.

Resolution response: Nov. 6, 2017

After getting a hold of a manager to review my recorded phone call she found that aep was in error and removed the $134 charge from my electric bill. The manager was very nice and understanding.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

AEP is charging me $134 for an after hours service call that they say I made. According to them my electric box was tripped and they went out "after hours to turn the breaker switch back to on." I did call to see if there was a known power outage in the area and the representative told me there was and that it was already being worked on to give them an hour. Now 2 months later they are charging me service call fee! When asked to provide me with a voice recording of me saying I wanted them to come out to my house they all of sudden can't find one. How are they able to get away with this?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My light bill used to stay the same because we NEVER deviate what we use on a daily basis. So it was coming every month at the minimum of 154.00 which was good and what I also calculated on our meter; then we get 2 bills 2 months in a row of almost the exact amount of a minimum bill at 243.00. Then I find out the city is tearing down some government housing apartments; that people are struggling to pay their light bills because they are being forced to move, coincidence? I do not think so. I am contacting a law firm that handles these type cases as I am typing this complaint. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping people out like the ones they're making move, but I want to do it on my own terms; not have the power company raise my light bill, which has been the same for over 5 years. I read my meter every month as well and I do have documentation; photos/dates/times/the exact meter reads, so this is on them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I just moved from Texas last Wednesday to stay rent free at my ex's house. He left for Texas to work for my current boyfriend. I live here rent free and my job is to keep up with the house and utilities. I call PSO/AEP and set up an account and paid my deposit the same day. I was then told my account was under occupancy review. They refused service. The customer service reps were extremely rude!! I was told I couldn't have electric because of an outstanding bill from my ex, the previous occupant. So, I paid almost 700.00 on what was supposed to be my ex's account. They restore power.

My ex gets a voicemail saying they will be shutting off power because the electric is in his grandparents name. They are both deceased. His grandfather 10 years, and his grandmother as of Friday. So, I paid an account that wasn't even mine or my ex's. I paid for his grandmothers account. I'm not even related to these people. They told me in order to get service an account had to be paid. I was under the impression it was my ex's. They played a huge game just to get money! If my money isn't refunded and an account in my name isn't accepted... I will be taking them to court! This is the only company around and what they are doing to people is fraud! Something needs to be done ASAP!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

We moved from out of state, called to have the power turned and paid $160. A week later we get a letter and an email saying we must pay $160 or our service will be cut off so we call AEP and the customer service rep checks our account and says don't worry about that because we already paid it. The exact same thing happens 3 more times and we are assured each time that we already paid it. Then our power gets turned off. We try to pay it with an American Express and for some reason it doesn't go through even though there is more than enough money on the card. So we go to the ATM to get cash from the same card they just ran incorrectly somehow to pay a disconnect fee even though we called repeatedly to make sure our bill had been paid already, a bad check fee because apparently, they didn't know they don't take American Express after they assured us they did and another $160. That we already paid 3 weeks ago.

Original review: July 22, 2017

My husband is on life support while waiting for a heart. At OSU we signed all legal documents to file with AEP. They told depending on your state, but most will always make sure if electric out they would try to either bring a truck or get to our location first. We cannot afford a full house generator. He cannot be plugged into a mobile generator. The power has been out since 1:00 am. It is now 11:00 am. I have called and have gotten the most rude none caring reps. They have been very cold and said there are areas that have 200 or more people without power. Suggesting these people are more important than my husband's life. We are deeply offended and in shock over this treatment.

All of our neighbors now have electric and we still don't. Not an AEP truck in site. Is this how AEP cares for their customers? But if I don't pay my bill you will shut our service off immediately. Someone needs to look into this system. We are getting an attorney because if something happens and my husband would, God forbid pass because of no power, believe me. They would pay. This is so wrong. I understand that people need their tv and computers and even air conditioners, but to put my husband's life in jeopardy. And the representatives are so rude, but they have to look at themselves and know how they treat the customers are wrong. All they want to explain is how the medical emergency works. Well it doesn't. How do all our neighbors have power and we don't. They should put us on 2 different grids. Shame on you AEP. Shame shame.

Original review: July 21, 2017

AEP "Topped" trees along my yard. Now the limbs are growing sideways onto my property causing damage and difficulty mowing. They say this is normal growth. Now I have to pay to have this cleared. To add insult to injury, our power was off for a whole day recently and I had to throw about $200.00 worth of food away. We have no choice of provider. We need a consumer advocate!

Original review: July 7, 2017

SWEPCO is one of the worst electric companies to do business with. This company will wait 24 to 48 hours to restore power. It posts restoration times on their website yet constantly changes the restoration time so that there is no clear representation of an actual repair time. Their customer service personnel that when you call they tell you how it's going to be two days before the power is restored but cannot provide any answers as to why. They also tell you they can send medical forms for quicker restoration but that submitting them will not get it back on any faster. The company refuses to work with anyone. If you are in their service area, pray you do not lose power. SWEPCO is the very reason why everyone should support deregulation and competition in this market that this company seems to have a monopoly on.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I purchased a home to flip and called to have the power turned on. I did so remotely, over the phone. When I received my first bill, there was a charge of $443.29 for "tampering" with the meter. When I first contacted AEP, the customer service rep was kind and helpful. When I explained the situation, she was going to remove the tag tampering charge but realized the meter itself had been pulled, and she was unauthorized to do so. She was to refer the situation to the investigative department. 2 weeks later I still had not heard back. I contacted AEP again and was told that they probably would not reverse the charge as I had mentioned that I was remodeling the house, and the tampering may have been done by a contractor.

As I am the contractor, I knew this was not the case and explained that to the customer service agent. She advised that I would receive a call back. I then contacted the prior owner who admitted in a text message to me that he had opened the box! So, I have proof that it was not done while I owned the home! I waited 2 more weeks, but AEP never called me. Again, I contacted AEP and met the unfriendly, unhelpful, rude staff over the phone. I was advised that they DID NOT EVER call customers back on this issue. So, which rep gave me misinformation?

I was told that the tampering was found 2 weeks after I had the power turned on, which proves I did it, as she stated that their worker turned the power on themselves. They have no work order or proof that this was done, and I know it wasn't because I was there when it was turned on remotely! They refused to hear an appeal and informed me that there is indeed no appeal process available. So, I have proof that I wasn't the offender. They have no process for appeal. But I am screwed because they hold the tethers to power my home. I apparently have absolutely no recourse. What the heck kind of system is this? Terrible.

Original review: June 15, 2017

This is the first state I have lived in that required an upfront deposit. We were told 101.00 needed to start service and we explained could not pay. We never received notice or anything that they were still doing a transfer of service or a cut off notice. They however just showed up and turned it off. How can you just do that with no notice to the renter. We assumed it would stay in owner name until we could pay it and made arrangements with owner to pay the bill every month. What a messed up system to have in place. Every state I have lived in added the deposit to the first 3 bills but not AEP... I am beyond pissed off and nobody at AEP seems to care. This is the worst power company... and if I had any other options for power I would take it at this time. I hate their policies and their customer service.

Original review: May 20, 2017

First of all, SWEPCO/AEP will get their money. No one is allowed to keep their electric service after the extension period - I'm fine with that. However, when a customer is considered poverty level they will likely be late paying their bill. Swepco now has implemented policies to collect $575 at three $192 installments. In the past, I've accepted help from LIHEAP, but for a family of 4, they could only give $113 toward my bill. And you can only use their assistance several times a year. I am in poverty so how can I afford this? This is an injustice!

Original review: April 30, 2017

This could be a very long review. I built my home 6 years ago. The first 6 months our bill was "normal", since then it has been outrageous! My home is well insulated and contains only energy saving appliances. When I called 5 years ago to see what happened the only explanation given was, "You used the power." I'm sorry but it's nearly impossible to run 60,000 kWh a year. I'd have to keep every light on and the heater running on 90 degrees every single year. I asked for an employee to come out and tell me why the bill was so high.

They agreed and he came and even he said he couldn't figure out why the bill was over $900 a month, every month. This company is greedy, and extremely unhelpful. I have never in my life been so disgusted with a company that is so unwilling to help. I actually had one representative snark and giggle on the phone. Not only is the way that rep carries their business poor, it's the worst company I've ever dealt with in my life. Price gouging is against the law and someone needs to take a hard look at the way they run business.

Original review: April 21, 2017

First off I understand the need to trim trees - that is not at question here. What is at question is the incredibly stupid process they use. At my house they trimmed one side off and left the tree in a very dangerous situation - all the weight now on one side of the root system. The tree was not trimmed properly and the trim points will rot. They did this on a tree in the back of the property and it cost me 1400.00 dollars to cut it down. When I asked them to trim the other side off - they told me that they didn't do that - that is a DIRECT lie. Numerous other trees are trimmed properly in Millersport and surrounding areas. Please trim the tree properly...

American Electric Power Company Information