1.15/5
Based on 164 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

American Electric Power

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 22, 2018

171 American Electric Power Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I live in an 1800 square foot home in Roanoke, Virginia. I have lived here since 1992, My electric bills have continued to rise steadily through the years and I considered them high even back then. I was shocked beyond belief when this winter presented me with an enormous bill which is 20% more than I usually pay. I am even on their "budget monthly plan" where the bill is supposed remain the same throughout the year. They claim that I have reached "my annual anniversary" date requires them to charge me for overages over the past 12 months divided by 12.

My new bill will be 20% higher for the next 12 months. As I stated earlier I have witnessed the appreciation of these rates over many years and nothing has basically changed in this household. I am no longer employed and depend on social security and a pension to survive. All household expenses have risen over the years but the rise in electricity rates is basically highway robbery. I have contacted various legislators and filed a complaint with the Virginia State Utility Commission as well as various online petitions in the hopes that something can be done about this runaway Utility Company American Electric Power.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Well for starters during non winter months my electric bill for a tiny 1 bedroom apartment in Roanoke VA. averaged $29 U.S.D. monthly. After using heat during the January billing cycle was $116 U.S.D. so immediately after seeing that bill I cut the heater off as in permanently. So I was expecting at least a break on my next bill but lo and behold my next bill was $132 U.S.D. (after completely cutting off heat and freezing for the past month). I want it kept in mind that I am in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment and the only electric I am using is as follows. Lights (very limited use), water heater (daily), charging 1 cellphone (daily), cooking (maybe 3 times a week). I am not using the following. The Furnace or AC unit, refrigerator (its unplugged and not in use), TV (I do not own one), internet (I do not have a provider), radio/stereo (I do not own one).

So using lights only for a few hours per night. Charging a cellphone. And daily use of a water heater to shower once a day does not rack up 1137 kwh. And how in the world is the delivery charge $29.27 all of a sudden.. I use to have bills that were only $29 in totality! AEP is simply dishonest and ripping off all of their customers and even worse using the extreme cold snap to exploit their customers. I didn't even use heat for the past month!! I'm gonna contact all of my representatives. I'm also not the only one in VA complaining of this. Tons of people are!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have a vacant home that is kept shut up with the thermostat set low. I have family who checks on it. When my bill tripled and I mentioned it on their Facebook, their response was for me to wear a jacket, use blankets, and manage my money better. I thought that was rude and arrogant. I wasn't complaining, just stating a fact and that was their response. What a joke.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Everyone in my area received a huge bill this month which is the highest I’ve seen at my residence. AEP is claiming that it is due to unusually low temperatures but it’s been colder in years past. Instead of replying intelligently to my email, they send me a website to be more energy efficient when I’ve already done that in the past.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

My bill doubled this month and I was not even in the house! I was moving and this house was closed up with no one in there. All appliances and heating/central unit is brand new. So there was no problem with any of the items in the house to run this bill up. I contacted AEP and they argued with me over and over about how it was cold and it was not them it was the house! This house was built in 2009. Not a thing wrong with it! I also have a problem with them not applying my full check onto the account. I sent them a check and they cashed it through the bank but never applied it to the account. I called and still nothing back from them. Then a street light that I pay for them to take care of went from 14.18 to 32.86 in one month!!!! They are ripping people off!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Tell me how I can check my meter reading on the 23rd, and after subtracting the reading from my previous reading, my bill was estimated at around 360 with usage of 3000 some. Within two days from that reading my meter reading jumped up to the total of 8000 some totalling a bill over 800 after they read my meter. They adjusted the meter reading to double my actual billing. AEP doesn't care for their consumers. They don't care that I'm disabled, elderly, and having to sit in my home and freeze due to the fear of how high the next month bill they will send me, I can't run my heat. Last month my bill was 600, I was told it could be my furnace so a repairman came to ensure everything was alright.

Everything is working great, my home is weatherproofed, lights aren't burned continually, but yet my electric raises 200. If I don't want to lose my home I have to freeze in hopes my bill goes down. Looks like financially I have to shorten my meals to one a day. Hopefully whomever is needing to fatten their pockets for a coming vacation or something has gained the money they needed and will stop cheating us poor people whom lives on a budget.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Rates are getting ridiculous. I mean really it doubled in a month, really guys. We want an explanation. Why should we each have to pay high rates for someone's retirement and etc. This is ridiculous. Here I am on layoff and my electric bill is higher this month than what I usually make in two weeks' time. It's bad when you have to choose whether your kids eat or you pay the electric bill so they will stay warm. Feel some compassion. You may be helping your own pockets and employees but a doubled bill and taking food from my kids' mouths is crazy. How do you guys sleep at night. We want answers NOW!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

So AEP wanted me to pay $150 activation fee. The way it could be waived is if I provided them with a letter of credit from my previous electric company. They gave me an email address to send it to. I had my electric company email the letter to them and received a confirmation email. 7 days later I come home from work and my power is off. I called AEP and they said they never received the letter since they are checking faxes and not emails and so they sent someone out to disconnect my power. No call, no email, just disconnected it... Since it is the middle of winter I can either stay at my apartment or rent a hotel. I’m promised they will come out tomorrow morning but who knows what time. They couldn’t have tacked it onto my first bill? Ridiculous. I don’t think they understand how shutting someone’s power off really screws that person over... All for $150.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Someone used my social to obtain electric AEP. Never questioned name when they ran credit. They even shut off electricity to property where my social was used, locked it etc. The thugs went broke meter box and turned power back on. At no time did AEP question or investigate. As I learned now I call to get electric on at my residence that's when I find out now AEP has required that I show proof of residency for 7 months which I continued to provide and have been continuously told not enough. I have since went back to two years with proof of residency. I was told if I did power would be on even by the CEO of AEP.

This is far from the truth now. I'm being told name is not relevant which it is. I was made to pay a deposit up front in full to start service. Was never told anything until I called back to see why power was not on. They have been extremely rude, argumentative and telling me it's not their job to verify information. It's going on two weeks now. I have had to replace pipes etc cause of no power. They allowed these thugs to run up a 658.00 bill. This is out there.

Resolution response: Nov. 6, 2017

After getting a hold of a manager to review my recorded phone call she found that aep was in error and removed the $134 charge from my electric bill. The manager was very nice and understanding.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

AEP is charging me $134 for an after hours service call that they say I made. According to them my electric box was tripped and they went out "after hours to turn the breaker switch back to on." I did call to see if there was a known power outage in the area and the representative told me there was and that it was already being worked on to give them an hour. Now 2 months later they are charging me service call fee! When asked to provide me with a voice recording of me saying I wanted them to come out to my house they all of sudden can't find one. How are they able to get away with this?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My light bill used to stay the same because we NEVER deviate what we use on a daily basis. So it was coming every month at the minimum of 154.00 which was good and what I also calculated on our meter; then we get 2 bills 2 months in a row of almost the exact amount of a minimum bill at 243.00. Then I find out the city is tearing down some government housing apartments; that people are struggling to pay their light bills because they are being forced to move, coincidence? I do not think so. I am contacting a law firm that handles these type cases as I am typing this complaint. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping people out like the ones they're making move, but I want to do it on my own terms; not have the power company raise my light bill, which has been the same for over 5 years. I read my meter every month as well and I do have documentation; photos/dates/times/the exact meter reads, so this is on them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I just moved from Texas last Wednesday to stay rent free at my ex's house. He left for Texas to work for my current boyfriend. I live here rent free and my job is to keep up with the house and utilities. I call PSO/AEP and set up an account and paid my deposit the same day. I was then told my account was under occupancy review. They refused service. The customer service reps were extremely rude!! I was told I couldn't have electric because of an outstanding bill from my ex, the previous occupant. So, I paid almost 700.00 on what was supposed to be my ex's account. They restore power.

My ex gets a voicemail saying they will be shutting off power because the electric is in his grandparents name. They are both deceased. His grandfather 10 years, and his grandmother as of Friday. So, I paid an account that wasn't even mine or my ex's. I paid for his grandmothers account. I'm not even related to these people. They told me in order to get service an account had to be paid. I was under the impression it was my ex's. They played a huge game just to get money! If my money isn't refunded and an account in my name isn't accepted... I will be taking them to court! This is the only company around and what they are doing to people is fraud! Something needs to be done ASAP!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

We moved from out of state, called to have the power turned and paid $160. A week later we get a letter and an email saying we must pay $160 or our service will be cut off so we call AEP and the customer service rep checks our account and says don't worry about that because we already paid it. The exact same thing happens 3 more times and we are assured each time that we already paid it. Then our power gets turned off. We try to pay it with an American Express and for some reason it doesn't go through even though there is more than enough money on the card. So we go to the ATM to get cash from the same card they just ran incorrectly somehow to pay a disconnect fee even though we called repeatedly to make sure our bill had been paid already, a bad check fee because apparently, they didn't know they don't take American Express after they assured us they did and another $160. That we already paid 3 weeks ago.

Original review: July 22, 2017

My husband is on life support while waiting for a heart. At OSU we signed all legal documents to file with AEP. They told depending on your state, but most will always make sure if electric out they would try to either bring a truck or get to our location first. We cannot afford a full house generator. He cannot be plugged into a mobile generator. The power has been out since 1:00 am. It is now 11:00 am. I have called and have gotten the most rude none caring reps. They have been very cold and said there are areas that have 200 or more people without power. Suggesting these people are more important than my husband's life. We are deeply offended and in shock over this treatment.

All of our neighbors now have electric and we still don't. Not an AEP truck in site. Is this how AEP cares for their customers? But if I don't pay my bill you will shut our service off immediately. Someone needs to look into this system. We are getting an attorney because if something happens and my husband would, God forbid pass because of no power, believe me. They would pay. This is so wrong. I understand that people need their tv and computers and even air conditioners, but to put my husband's life in jeopardy. And the representatives are so rude, but they have to look at themselves and know how they treat the customers are wrong. All they want to explain is how the medical emergency works. Well it doesn't. How do all our neighbors have power and we don't. They should put us on 2 different grids. Shame on you AEP. Shame shame.

Original review: July 21, 2017

AEP "Topped" trees along my yard. Now the limbs are growing sideways onto my property causing damage and difficulty mowing. They say this is normal growth. Now I have to pay to have this cleared. To add insult to injury, our power was off for a whole day recently and I had to throw about $200.00 worth of food away. We have no choice of provider. We need a consumer advocate!

Original review: July 7, 2017

SWEPCO is one of the worst electric companies to do business with. This company will wait 24 to 48 hours to restore power. It posts restoration times on their website yet constantly changes the restoration time so that there is no clear representation of an actual repair time. Their customer service personnel that when you call they tell you how it's going to be two days before the power is restored but cannot provide any answers as to why. They also tell you they can send medical forms for quicker restoration but that submitting them will not get it back on any faster. The company refuses to work with anyone. If you are in their service area, pray you do not lose power. SWEPCO is the very reason why everyone should support deregulation and competition in this market that this company seems to have a monopoly on.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I purchased a home to flip and called to have the power turned on. I did so remotely, over the phone. When I received my first bill, there was a charge of $443.29 for "tampering" with the meter. When I first contacted AEP, the customer service rep was kind and helpful. When I explained the situation, she was going to remove the tag tampering charge but realized the meter itself had been pulled, and she was unauthorized to do so. She was to refer the situation to the investigative department. 2 weeks later I still had not heard back. I contacted AEP again and was told that they probably would not reverse the charge as I had mentioned that I was remodeling the house, and the tampering may have been done by a contractor.

As I am the contractor, I knew this was not the case and explained that to the customer service agent. She advised that I would receive a call back. I then contacted the prior owner who admitted in a text message to me that he had opened the box! So, I have proof that it was not done while I owned the home! I waited 2 more weeks, but AEP never called me. Again, I contacted AEP and met the unfriendly, unhelpful, rude staff over the phone. I was advised that they DID NOT EVER call customers back on this issue. So, which rep gave me misinformation?

I was told that the tampering was found 2 weeks after I had the power turned on, which proves I did it, as she stated that their worker turned the power on themselves. They have no work order or proof that this was done, and I know it wasn't because I was there when it was turned on remotely! They refused to hear an appeal and informed me that there is indeed no appeal process available. So, I have proof that I wasn't the offender. They have no process for appeal. But I am screwed because they hold the tethers to power my home. I apparently have absolutely no recourse. What the heck kind of system is this? Terrible.

Original review: June 15, 2017

This is the first state I have lived in that required an upfront deposit. We were told 101.00 needed to start service and we explained could not pay. We never received notice or anything that they were still doing a transfer of service or a cut off notice. They however just showed up and turned it off. How can you just do that with no notice to the renter. We assumed it would stay in owner name until we could pay it and made arrangements with owner to pay the bill every month. What a messed up system to have in place. Every state I have lived in added the deposit to the first 3 bills but not AEP... I am beyond pissed off and nobody at AEP seems to care. This is the worst power company... and if I had any other options for power I would take it at this time. I hate their policies and their customer service.

Original review: May 20, 2017

First of all, SWEPCO/AEP will get their money. No one is allowed to keep their electric service after the extension period - I'm fine with that. However, when a customer is considered poverty level they will likely be late paying their bill. Swepco now has implemented policies to collect $575 at three $192 installments. In the past, I've accepted help from LIHEAP, but for a family of 4, they could only give $113 toward my bill. And you can only use their assistance several times a year. I am in poverty so how can I afford this? This is an injustice!

Original review: April 30, 2017

This could be a very long review. I built my home 6 years ago. The first 6 months our bill was "normal", since then it has been outrageous! My home is well insulated and contains only energy saving appliances. When I called 5 years ago to see what happened the only explanation given was, "You used the power." I'm sorry but it's nearly impossible to run 60,000 kWh a year. I'd have to keep every light on and the heater running on 90 degrees every single year. I asked for an employee to come out and tell me why the bill was so high.

They agreed and he came and even he said he couldn't figure out why the bill was over $900 a month, every month. This company is greedy, and extremely unhelpful. I have never in my life been so disgusted with a company that is so unwilling to help. I actually had one representative snark and giggle on the phone. Not only is the way that rep carries their business poor, it's the worst company I've ever dealt with in my life. Price gouging is against the law and someone needs to take a hard look at the way they run business.

Original review: April 21, 2017

First off I understand the need to trim trees - that is not at question here. What is at question is the incredibly stupid process they use. At my house they trimmed one side off and left the tree in a very dangerous situation - all the weight now on one side of the root system. The tree was not trimmed properly and the trim points will rot. They did this on a tree in the back of the property and it cost me 1400.00 dollars to cut it down. When I asked them to trim the other side off - they told me that they didn't do that - that is a DIRECT lie. Numerous other trees are trimmed properly in Millersport and surrounding areas. Please trim the tree properly...

Original review: April 4, 2017

Since AEP took over the electric in my small town, electric rates went up $100 to $150 dollars, our winter has been warmer than last yr. Lexington Ohio had power outages. It took a week to ten days to fix the problem.

Original review: March 10, 2017

This summer, AEP neglected to come out for a reading for literally SIX months. So at the end of 6 months, everyone in my neighborhood got a bill for hundreds of dollars. Our bill was over $900 and the neighbors had to pay a bill that was around $600. When I called the company to ask why they didn't come out every other month for a reading like they had for the last 15 years that I have used AEP, they said they weren't required to do so.

True enough, when I contacted the PUCO, they said the law only requires electric companies to come to your property for a reading ONCE a year. They see it as the customer's responsibility to call and request a reading if they want one. I don't know about you, but I'm not staring at my electric bill every month to determine whether a reading was done. I have other fish to fry.

Especially after 15 years of the same pattern of readings, I wasn't aware I would need to all of a sudden start being vigilant about it. And of course, AEP had zero sympathy about their poor service and did nothing to help with the bill aside from offering a "payment plan," which just means your bill is going to be ridiculous for the next 6 months, and God forbid they don't do an actual reading during that timeframe because then your bill will be ridiculous for an entire year.

And to add insult to injury, they added a deposit on WHILE we are trying to pay back that ridiculous bill because *gasp* we paid late. We have never been disconnected. We always pay our bill. It feels like a pile-on for which we have no recourse. We don't stress about bills at all except from this company because it's a constant assault on our finances. Because of the way they've treated us, I'm looking into solar panels. AEP obviously has a monopoly on this region and I'm getting out from under it if it kills me.

Original review: March 8, 2017

Our meter has had MAJOR fluctuations in the readings, some even impossible numbers such as February's reading of 1,213 KWH. This would burn out our old wiring if we actually used that much. (I am trained as an Electrician and PC Technician, I know what I am talking about on house wiring.) Not to mention the fact that I have a small three room apartment. Most 5 bedroom houses leaving all the lights on 24/7 would not use that much electric! The month of January used only 332KWH even though my actual usage was the same for both months. January was what should be. This is the third time in less than a year that this has happened. I tried going through PUCO but that was worthless, their response was to set up a payment plan to pay for these ridiculous meter readings!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

Over the last 3 months we have had at least 3-4 power outages in our area, which is a concern to us as we run a business from our property for large groups which depends on electricity. When I inquired with Dave ** at AEP regarding our repeated outages (despite the fact that our electric costs have risen by 25% in the last decade) all he did is try to blame them on accidents in our areas even though a couple of our outages were directly the result of equipment failures.

The day after I spoke to Dave ** we had another 5 hour outage. I texted Mr. ** to inform him of the current outage and request a credit adjustment on our billing due to the repeated outages. So far Mr. ** has gone radio silent and has failed to response to my text messages. I don't expect to ever hear back from Mr. **, but I am sure I will hear from AEP if I don't pay my bill on time.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I have purchased 3 appliances within two years. Every time I complete the application for a rebate, they will send a letter stating not enough information or something to that matter. Not once have I ever gotten back any rebates and I did supply ALL information to them. They always come up with an excuse or state never received when you know for a fact they got it. Send all info out twice and again the same old story. False advertisement on their part. I finally just gave up. A waste of your time, stamp, etc.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

My monthly bills got incrementally more expensive every single month. There is not a clear indication of the exact use of my electricity, and the charge is extremely murky and unclear. I live in a small apartment and I had to pay more than fifty dollars in the past billing cycle. And electricity is not even my heating source. I've just been using my refrigerator, my ceiling lights, my lamps and my electronics charging ports. Incredibly price mark up.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

The good thing about having a tiny, double insulated house, is it retains its heat easily in the winter. Oddly enough that wasn't enough to keep me from getting a $400 dollar bill. I called about a possible error, they said there was no error, and that their rates had increased. My home has one tv, electric floor heaters that we keep on 65, one fridge, stove and washer/dryer and a laptop and Wii-U. I don't even have a deep freezer. I don't own a garbage disposal or a dish washing machine. How in the world could my electric get that high? Most of this winter in Kentucky has been 65 degrees! It's pure robbery!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2016

AEP shut off our power with no warning and nine days until our bill was due. When inquired about the situation I proceeded to get three different answers from three different people. The first insisted that I got an email, which I did not. The second insisted that there would "never be email notice" me a lengthy unclear description of how to find the information deep in my online account, not to mention a lack of patience and a strong attitude. The third insisted that we would have receive a notice by paper mail, something the other two representatives strongly denied. Even when discussing the situation of a family member with asthma on a poor air quality day, did nothing. I am so beyond frustrated with their lack of sympathy and lack or consistency with their info.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

We moved here to Kentucky in 2015. We were required to pay 350 dollars for a deposit. Since living here every month we get threatening letters saying if we don't pay by a certain day they will cut us off. Each month we pay our bill. However looking over the last year and a half worth of bills we have had to pay 20 dollars here and 50 dollars there for "deposits". Was my first deposit that you negotiated with me prior to my move not good enough for you. Am I going to get all of these deposits back. Of course not. Because I was late one time and according to my contract if you aren't on time every time for 18 months you forfeit your deposit. You know this which is why you keep charging me a deposit. Well here's a kicker AEP. I'm moving. And I'm not paying my bill so take the last month's bill from all of those deposits you have charged me.

American Electric Power Company Information

www.aep.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use