1.22/5

Need a utility company?

Need a utility company?

200 American Electric Power Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 25, 2019

I have been critical of AEP in the past. However, I need to provide credit when due. This morning at 3am noticed only one leg of 240 vac was feeding residence but returned to normal until around 8am when the same thing happened and then returned to normal. This issue affected other residences as well. Made a call and by 10am there was a person checking the lines and told us that they would replace the Transformer and will try to get it today but if not, by Tuesday. The Transformer was replaced today with minimal power outage and I do mean minimal (<1hr). AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE, WELL DONE and MUCH APPRECIATED.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Our electric bill with AEP has been $300 to $700 every month for the past 2 years. We had our AC checked out of concern and the tech found nothing wrong with it. We have brand new windows, use low energy bulbs and insulate under doors with no effect to our bill. The local news found that AEP have been overspending on advertising, lobbying and CEO salaries which is where these overcharges are going. I haven't paid more than $200 per month in the dead of winter on the electric bill until 2017. We're about to go broke trying to keep our lights on, this is insane.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I've always paid American Electric Power Company every single month and back in November of last year American Electric Power Company stole $188.16 from me. They claimed that the $188.16 didn't go through even though I KNOW 100% FOR SURE that my $188.16 back in November DID go through. Then American Power Company claims to have returned my $188.16 and want me to pay their scam selfs $9 something for returning my $188.16 THAT THEY NEVER RETURNED and now they keep changing me more money every single month and I STILL HAVE NEVER GOT MY $188.16 BACK FROM THEM.

And then I tried to switch to StateWise Energy and I get something in the mail saying that StateWise Energy cancel my switch to StateWise so I called StateWise Energy and asking them WHY were they cancel my switch to StateWise Energy and the person that I talked to at StateWise told me THAT AMERICAN POWER COMPANY IS REALLY THE ONES THAT CANCEL MY SWITCH TO STATEWISE ENERGY.

I am already going to be taken American Power Company to the Supreme Court and sue American Power Company for $10.000 dollars. American Power Company ONLY CARES ABOUT MAKING MONEY OFF OF PEOPLE. They really don't care about anything else but making money off other people so don't be scared of suing American Power Company.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have two AEP accounts at my house. One is for my house and one is for my pool. I turn my break off for the pool in Oct and turn it back on in April or May. In 2017 my pool account balance was always zero. Somewhere along the way AEP now charges me for not using electric. I have to pay them 3-5 dollars a month just to be their customer. THIS IS A JOKE! I guess I am also paying it on my house bill as well. AEP can't even tell me what the fee is for and when it went into effect. I think a lawyer needs to look into what AEP is charging their customers. This doesn't seem legal. I could see a usage fee or tax but how do you charge me a bill when I am not using your electricity. Please tell me!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I spoke with three representatives for AEP via phone, one claiming to be a supervisor, about an incorrect bill I received. AEP took an actual reading of my meter for this bill and is attempting to charge more for previous months when an actual reading was not taken. But they can’t attribute a specific amount to any given month unless an actual reading is taken. So if their estimate is off they have to adjust and make up for it on the month when an actual reading has taken place. But that is not what my bill reflects. The meter only shows a total used so there isn’t a way to look back at previous usages from the meter. My bill does not reflect this. They are attempting to add random charges to previous months.

When I explained this all three reps were not mentally competent and could not understand basic logic or basic math. The supposed supervisor was extremely rude and stupid. I informed them verbally and in writing that they billed incorrectly and if it isn’t corrected, and they happen to send a disconnect notice, I will have to take action against AEP.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?

Original review: March 1, 2019

This is by far the worst electric company known to earth. They charge you outrageous prices then for personal reasons had to change the name on the account and then decided to leave it alone because of the deposit and after speaking to them and telling them to leave it how it was a week later come home to no electric. Call them again and they proceed to tell me we needed to restart service. Spoke to a supervisor. He said my electric would be on by 6:30 or call back. He would have a emergency crew come turn it on.

At 7:30 I call and am on hold forever for a different supervisor to tell me I would be contacted tomorrow by someone for proof of residency and this wasn’t AEP’s fault. The hell if it wasn’t. They should have cleared all of this up the week before. So my family is expected to sit in a COLD house when it’s snowing and 27 degrees outside and did I mention I have paid probably $3,000 the last 6 months and this is what you get. AEP is the worst ever. Maybe their employees should LISTEN and fix problems before they occur. Would give you no stars if I could.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Power blips approximately 1 time per week which I assume is due to switching the "Grid" or service to the Grid (perhaps the squirrel died or the wheel broke). This "blip" results in surges to my residence and all equipment and appliances. The service has been this way for well over 15 years and I have traveled around the world and have resided in various states both in and out of CONUS and must say that this is the worst service that I have ever had to pay for. I am confident that Fred Flinstone's service was more reliable. Suggest that greater focus on the customers and less on ROI and Bonuses would help resolve the issue. I know that there are previous complaints pertaining to these issues and at one time it was thought to be targeted for resolution, which seems to have been shelved.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I am not making this up!!! I had two properties located next to each other both of which I received a bill for so I wrote one check with both acct #s in the memo as I have done for years. I sold the properties and received my final bill. Good riddance of AEP right!! Wrong. 2 weeks later I received a Mastercard gift card stating I had overpaid $6.42. Two weeks later I get a bill for $6.42 so I called them to pay with the gift card but they wanted to charge me $1.85 to take an electronic payment. I asked them to look up my accounts and they said I had overpaid 6.42 on my 712 address so I asked them to look up the bill at 712 1/2 and was told I was short 6.42. I am no rocket scientist but this proved to them I had paid my bill exactly to the penny! What a horrible company! I wish them nothing but the worst.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

AEP Ohio - We switched banks from Chase to US Bank and in the midst of the chaos (we did our best to ensure that EVERY vendor--all 182 of them--had the new payment information, but) apparently you fell through the cracks. I apologize for the inconvenience. I know it's frustrating not to get the money you're owed. While upon paying my bill (3 days late), I discovered that I am banned from using ANY bank account for A YEAR!!! A YEAR!!! I also discovered that we cannot even use a debit card (real money) and would be forced to use A CREDIT CARD (debt and stupidity) to pay the bill. This is quite frankly unacceptable. It's a stupid policy. Whoever came up with this policy is a stupid person. If it was brought to the attention of your board and voted upon favorably, then your board is FULL of stupid people.

Apparently it's just stupid upon stupid over there and that's no way to run an organization--you should do better. I just thought you should know that. I propose a new policy, in lieu of your retarded one: assess a fee for inconvenience--it was our fault in this case--and move on. Don't block your subscribers from paying with a bank account for a year--that's ridiculous--no, let's call it over-extensively stupid. I would also advocate that if you are having difficulty with people paying their bills on time, people paying with credit cards doesn't help the cause. It drives them into debt and eventually into financial problems--then you don't get any money. C'mon! My 8-year-old understands this.

Anyway, I will be posting this on all of the social media outlets, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, multiple message boards, etc. I'll also be reporting this abuse (you've cost me more in labor and man hours to get this resolved with your ridiculous policies) to BBB and multiple other review sites. I will further tell my story to anyone who will listen. I'm also going to start advocating people switch to the alternative power companies that don't have (you guessed it) stupid policies. Consider this your stupid-tax! Stay far away from this company if you can help it. Send letters of complaint to current President/COO: Julie Sloat (home address coming soon). :-)

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My power was disconnected because of a past due bill that was in someone else's name. I have called AEP multiple times and they just keep telling me that the other past due needs to be paid before my electric service will be turned on.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Where to start! I have lived at my residence for almost 10 years now and about 10 to 20 times a year I have to call AEP because the electricity is out. If it rains the electricity goes out, if the wind blows the electricity goes out. Our transformers have blown out no less than 15 times and it has sent power surges through my house so severe that it has blown everything in my house even on surge protectors. So I call them every time and when the guys get out here they say I’m out here again! But they don’t fix the problem just band-aid it until the next time. So seeing on how they are the only electricity company in our area what do they do, raise their prices and give bad service. I’m guessing that they don’t care judging by their 1 star rating and 181 bad reviews.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I'm just wondering if anyone else's bill is like this? 68% of my bill is because of the delivery charge, while the supply charge is only 32%. I mean, I get that of course I'd pay for delivery alongside supply, but have to pay a bill that is almost 70% for DELIVERY is kind of ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

AEP had maintenance scheduled but didn't give any form of warning whatsoever. Because of their lack of a heads up the multiple power surges from this maintenance has caused my 1.200 dollar 65 in LG TV to fry out as well as my PSU for my custom gaming computer. Neither of which will be replaced by AEP, not to mention the food that I had recently purchased and had to chuck because of the thawing that occurred due to the extended period of power outage during this maintenance. AEP has been a thorn in my side and I wholeheartedly suggest that people keep away from this utility and perhaps try to find a place to live in a state that's not handled by AEP or their affiliates. My only wish is that I could rate this utility lower than 1 star.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

SWEPCO is the absolute worst electric company to have. Due to where we stay we have no choice but to put up with it. If the wind blow too hard the lights go out or if a slight rain come thru the lights out. I'm signed up for text alerts so they would send a message saying the power will be restored at one time but that can be 3 to 4 hours later. They will send you at least 2 or 3 more messages rescheduling the restoring time. I once went 3 days without power in my area because of this company. I absolutely hate SWEPCO and would not recommend anyone to them.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

They shut my power off when I was 9 hours late on a $70 balance. Then, they were kind enough to charge me a $1500 “deposit”, no worries. They were quick to tell me how “lucky” I was that they are only adding $300 to all my bills for the next 5 months. Paid $671 this month... I’ve worked in customer service for years and wow. -372 stars.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Have put in two tickets with 811 to have the lines in my backyard marked before I plant bushes. Called AEP today as every other utility has been there and marked the lines. AEP says they don't mark lines from the pedestal to the meter. Although they did this after the hurricane when all the fencing had to be replaced. Michelle with AEP said they must of done that because "they were in a good mood." I then spoke with Michael, her supervisor. He said they only mark lines they own. When asked why did they not then mark the lines in the basement along the back fence he said they don't mark lines, it is a subcontractor and I would have to call 811 back. What a runaround! AEP does not care about the safety of the homeowner as their website clearly states. What a joke they are.

Original review: June 29, 2018

AEP allowed a company called APGNE to be our supply. We didn't give anyone permission. They charged us double bill, the utility commission said it's a Texas based company so they can't do anything. We ask them to take it off. Had to fight with them to take it off, still on our bill. When I called both companies were rude, the woman at AEP told me, "Pay the bill and we will turn it back on," did I have anymore questions. AEP showed up 2 days early from the arrangement shut off power, had to borrow money. They said we had no payment arrangement in computer. It wasn't even 3 wks since I paid them $453. We have paid them over 2000 in one month. They say we still owe 758. Getting to the point might have to go with no electric. Had to skip house payment so I could pay electric. We are trying to stay afloat and we are sinking fast. My husband is disabled. I work 50 hrs wk. Something has to be done. Would give negative stars if I could!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have had AEP and their computer system kick me out of it 3 times. They made payment arrangements with me and the customer service representatives keeps giving me misinformation about the payment plan. Today they shut my electric off and when I called the customer service representative said I wasn’t in a payment plan for the 3rd time. So I called corporate and spoke with a supervisor there who was very nasty. Instead of wanting to take care of my problem she reminded that I have a $180.00 bill due on July 7th. I asked her because of all the problems this month with the company if she could take a % off my bill to fix the inconvenience for this month, mind you I didn’t want the electric that I used this month taken away just the deposit.

She kept saying can I talk, getting very argumentative. And mind you this is a supervisor at their corporate office. Needless to say my wife told me to hang up on her and I did that so before my “$180” is due my electric will get cut off again. I’m sure because the supervisors at their corporate office are more argumentative than the main customer service agents. And the corporate number is 614 716-1000. I don’t remember the lady's name, if you have her and get a compliment you will know who I am speaking of. Trust me.

Original review: April 30, 2018

In our area Swepco is the monopoly owner, a branch of AEP. They sent a man to my house to disconnect my power, since my bill had already been paid I was pissed smooth off, call only to find or they “need a copy of my lease.” Which they say they emailed to me (went to the wrong email address) and then said a letter was mailed (got it two days after they shut it off, they also disconnected it a day sooner than THEIR letter stated they would). When I asked the man to not turn off the power and take a copy of the lease with him because I have a 3 month old baby in the home I was told it wasn’t his problem and he drove off. This woman “Ann” who works for the company has yet to return a call to me since then, hasn’t sent an email (I corrected the email they had on file) nor has she sent someone to turn the power back on.

6 days we’ve had nothing, we’ve lost hundreds of dollars in food, we’ve had no heat, and we’ve had to pay for a hotel to keep our daughter comfortable. All of which I should not be having to go through. If you want a lease it should be required upfront rather than later down the road. I’m reaching out to my local senator to help start a bill to stop them from being allowed to shut off services with a child in the home. If they can’t do their job why the hell does my child have to suffer?

I live two blocks away from the other power companies starting point and it sucks. If they had actual offices in towns they serve they wouldn’t treat people the way they do. They’d have an idea how to treat people. Screw AEP/SWEPCO. I hope someone who gives a crap about the company finds a way to either better staff and properly train them or step aside and let someone who gives a crap about the really bad image the company is leaving for people and they find a way to undo the damage this company is doing to its customer base.

Original review: March 24, 2018

So AEP charged $40.00 for a so call "trip fee" to tell me something that I already knew. I knew that my bill was due and I was working on it. I knew that I was up for disconnection. Why on earth would they charge me $40.00 just because they came out and put a notice on my door? When did this start? Why would they do this to people that are already behind on their bill? This needs to be addressed and halted immediately! It's not right.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Well like everyone else in the Roanoke VA area my electric bill has doubled and their reason is the cold weather. Ok well it was cold last year and the year before that and for a two bedroom one bath trailer my bill has never been over $200. But this year it's $400 because it's cold outside. Get real, we the people are not stupid. Someone is trying to retire or increase their pay through the average American's hardworking money. My electric bill is the most expensive bill I pay in a month. It's over half my paycheck and I'm never home and cut my heat off last month to lower the bill yet it didn't change a thing. And being a monopoly AEP is the only option we have!!! AEP you suck. But I made a promise before next winter I will have my whole place running on a generator or solar energy. I'm not going to allow you to extort me and my family because you think we need your electric!!

Original review: March 6, 2018

I had to replace a breaker on my house so when I finally got the inspector certification took forever to get anyone and they could not give me a time to expect them. Still waiting and I cannot keep using sick time because of them not keeping tabs on their trucks. It's the 21st century and there is stuff called LoJack. You should be able to provide a time as much I pay them a month!

Original review: March 2, 2018

I never had an issue with this company. A couple of times when I needed an extension on my bill, they gave it to me without asking any questions. The bills were always accurate.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I just got my electric bill and I am shocked and appalled to see that my bill has DOUBLED for the same time last year. This is disgusting and someone needs to do something about it. My bill is for $214 for one month! The coldest winter month bill I ever received, which was last year, was for approx. $108.00. Last month's bill was $181.00 which is outrageous as well. I have a small, 3 bed, 2 bath home in the country in Niles, Michigan and... Well I may as well just tell them to shut off my power completely. This is just sick. Who in the he-- approved this kind of increase?! AEP/I&M needs to be investigated and something needs to be done about this highway robbery!!!

Original review: March 1, 2018

I have been their customer for 30 years. Easy to contact by phone, and to pay bill via website. However, on the rare occasion when I contacted them by email, I have never received a response.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I live in an 1800 square foot home in Roanoke, Virginia. I have lived here since 1992, My electric bills have continued to rise steadily through the years and I considered them high even back then. I was shocked beyond belief when this winter presented me with an enormous bill which is 20% more than I usually pay. I am even on their "budget monthly plan" where the bill is supposed remain the same throughout the year. They claim that I have reached "my annual anniversary" date requires them to charge me for overages over the past 12 months divided by 12.

My new bill will be 20% higher for the next 12 months. As I stated earlier I have witnessed the appreciation of these rates over many years and nothing has basically changed in this household. I am no longer employed and depend on social security and a pension to survive. All household expenses have risen over the years but the rise in electricity rates is basically highway robbery. I have contacted various legislators and filed a complaint with the Virginia State Utility Commission as well as various online petitions in the hopes that something can be done about this runaway Utility Company American Electric Power.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Well for starters during non winter months my electric bill for a tiny 1 bedroom apartment in Roanoke VA. averaged $29 U.S.D. monthly. After using heat during the January billing cycle was $116 U.S.D. so immediately after seeing that bill I cut the heater off as in permanently. So I was expecting at least a break on my next bill but lo and behold my next bill was $132 U.S.D. (after completely cutting off heat and freezing for the past month). I want it kept in mind that I am in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment and the only electric I am using is as follows. Lights (very limited use), water heater (daily), charging 1 cellphone (daily), cooking (maybe 3 times a week). I am not using the following. The Furnace or AC unit, refrigerator (its unplugged and not in use), TV (I do not own one), internet (I do not have a provider), radio/stereo (I do not own one).

So using lights only for a few hours per night. Charging a cellphone. And daily use of a water heater to shower once a day does not rack up 1137 kwh. And how in the world is the delivery charge $29.27 all of a sudden.. I use to have bills that were only $29 in totality! AEP is simply dishonest and ripping off all of their customers and even worse using the extreme cold snap to exploit their customers. I didn't even use heat for the past month!! I'm gonna contact all of my representatives. I'm also not the only one in VA complaining of this. Tons of people are!!!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

They are quick to get electric on after an outage but their customer service needs improvement. There's too much of a wait when calling after going through automated call.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

This company has improved tremendously over the two decades since we moved back to Ohio, as has their Website. We use their site to review and pay our electric bill and it is both convenient & easy to use.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have a vacant home that is kept shut up with the thermostat set low. I have family who checks on it. When my bill tripled and I mentioned it on their Facebook, their response was for me to wear a jacket, use blankets, and manage my money better. I thought that was rude and arrogant. I wasn't complaining, just stating a fact and that was their response. What a joke.

American Electric Power Company Information