2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

3.9/5 (255 ratings)

About American Electric Power

American Electric Power Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

Hoping someone can help me out - I don't have a complaint yet about them, they seem to be doing ok, but now I am bothered. I always pay in advance out of fear I may run short of money in the winter. Last month was an "actual reading" (I double checked the bill) and suddenly this month an 86.73 credit was given to me on this bill, above and beyond my existing credit - with zero explanation as to why they felt the need to give me back 86.00. I have lived in this house for 13 years, so it's not a deposit refund or anything. I live in Southwestern Virginia - I am widowed and cannot afford for someone to have 86.00 of my money, that's grocery money. Does anyone know what this might be for? I find it disturbing if I have been trucking along believing the meter was an "actual reading", because if it was, why do I suddenly have this credit?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

They are not God but they sure think they are. They cannot wait even two days for a payment. They would rather hurt someone than to help. Computers run this world and AEP Ohio has no soul. Unbelievably selfish.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

I called in to extend my cutoff by a day but that was too much to ask I guess but the women went so silent. I wasn't sure if she was still there. She would begin to say something and crickets. This has been a difficult year.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I've been a customer of AEP/I&M for 32 years and it is shocking to me how they just get more & more greedy. I understood when I was younger and didnt have very good credit that a deposit was required, although it seemed odd even then that they charge such high deposits to the folks that are poverty level and struggling already. However, coming off of 2020, my husband was out of work for 14 months, and not once were we disconnected, but a couple Bills were late because with all the fees they charge (Cook Nuclear, Solar rider, energy efficient program cost, Phase in adjustment, energy efficient cost rider, etc., etc., depending on the month it's an additional $15-$70 that is not electric use) & my husband not working we struggled.

But now... 2021 & not only back to paying in full and on time & they charge $324 deposit on a current account because we had late payments. Now they already charge extra when it's late, and again, not once were we so late that we got disconnected, so no interruption in service. But now they want another $324? My husband is a T1 diabetic so we already get screwed by Big Pharma, now AEP wants to rape the consumers too. I'm over the Big Companies screwing the little guy. Solar panel Company is coming tomorrow to give me the hard estimate, and already calling to pull equity from our home. AEP is a monopoly and shouldnt be allowed to do this to people! We already told Comcast to kick rocks and bought our own router, went to Roku, cant wait to tell AEP to kick rocks too!

Original review: June 21, 2021

I have been told my electric would be on for 2 days then when I told the women I had to take my 2 year old to a hotel where she is uncomfortable with cause she has autism and throw out 325 in groceries she hung up on me after 25 min of being on hold. This the services you provide yea I record it all for the past 2 days.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I just received this RUDE email from AEP's senior reps. Months ago I had reported a streetlight out to AEP and many other lights to the City of Lynchburg. Weeks go by and nothing. I talk to the city on the phone and they said it was AEP's job to maintain. So then I report to AEP that there are numerous lights out in downtown Lynchburg, VA--in a single city block. Their maintenance crew is not on a schedule and is not maintaining the decorative, street, nor leased lights. It's ridiculous. I have had to report this many times, and still they are out and now I have a rude letter from their senior customer service individual (Pen **), telling me that I need to do a better job of giving exact locations of lights out and that I'd be mad if I had no power in my house but saw their employees out there changing light bulbs. I don't even go out there at night but I know those that do would like to be safe in their travels.

This is a residential community. --- So, when citizens attempt due diligence, repeatedly...this is what they are met with. ****It is not the job of citizens to report lights out. It is not my job to get the GPS coordinates of each light--and I WAS VERY SPECIFIC IN REPORTING EACH LIGHT AND THEIR LOCATION, more than once. It is AEP's job to maintain these lights and they have been negligent for an extended period of time.

Original review: April 22, 2021

I called to see if there was anything I could do about a bill since my son Josh was in car accident and broke his neck and fractured his spine. The electric was shut off and they told me there was no assistance they could offer me. My other son Gerald is still living in the home and can’t afford to pay this bill off and they would not provide any assistance. They do this to people because they are only electric company in the area.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

My AEP bill was $178.77. It is only me living at my residence. I heat with gas. My gas bill was $50.57. I called AEP to question this high out of normal bill. I found discrepancies in my past bills regarding extra kWh charges that were not displayed on my bills. The customer service representative was rude and was not listening to me regarding my concerns with the overcharges. She stated “There are going to be extra charges in your bills you aren’t going to be able to see due to the changes in the kWH during the billing terms”. This is not legal.

Just as an example, on a past bill from 12-09/2019 the generation service charge I was charged was $49.21 @ $0.054 kWh. I redid all the calculations and it should have been $48.98. (Algorithm I used - My meter reading 907 x 0.054=48.978 which means my Generation service charge should’ve been $48.98.) I was charged 0.23 cents more. Being the old school person I am. I keep all my AEP bills! I went back through all the bills and found miscalculations in every one of my AEP statements. I told the woman at AEP this just today and she said the above quotation I typed above. This is illegal! Any charges are to be printed in plain site on the bill. Get ready????

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I would be fully off grid if I was able to, especially having to deal with AEP. My electricity is down more than any electric company I have ever been with. I have a handicapped mom living with me and they don't give a rat's butt if she lives or dies. I also work from home full time and when my electricity is down, I do not have internet or phone. If you plan on moving to an area with AEP, I would avoid it like the plague or like Covid-19. Unbelievably irresponsible company.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I realize this will not be allowed on (The AEP) site, however, I don't know how to send a message of complaint as I was hung up on by 2 supervisors in customer service when they answered. Your CSR was very professional and polite but when she put me into the cue, as soon as the supervisor answered, they hung up without a word. My account is ****. I notified AEP Prior to September 30, 2020 that my last day at the address for the above account was September 30. The notification was ignored and when the landlord tried to change the account on the 9th you entered a forced closure. (AEP) Please correct the following issues. 1. When you receive payment with cancellation in writing accept that as the cancellation. 2. Please refund the amount charged from October 1 through October 9th to my account and send the refund to my current address. 3. Take the forced closure from my records. Thank you, Joel ...

American Electric Power Company Information