2.7/5 (469 ratings)

About American Electric Power

American Electric Power Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Electric Power?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

I called in to extend my cutoff by a day but that was too much to ask I guess but the women went so silent. I wasn't sure if she was still there. She would begin to say something and crickets. This has been a difficult year.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I've been a customer of AEP/I&M for 32 years and it is shocking to me how they just get more & more greedy. I understood when I was younger and didnt have very good credit that a deposit was required, although it seemed odd even then that they charge such high deposits to the folks that are poverty level and struggling already. However, coming off of 2020, my husband was out of work for 14 months, and not once were we disconnected, but a couple Bills were late because with all the fees they charge (Cook Nuclear, Solar rider, energy efficient program cost, Phase in adjustment, energy efficient cost rider, etc., etc., depending on the month it's an additional $15-$70 that is not electric use) & my husband not working we struggled.

But now... 2021 & not only back to paying in full and on time & they charge $324 deposit on a current account because we had late payments. Now they already charge extra when it's late, and again, not once were we so late that we got disconnected, so no interruption in service. But now they want another $324? My husband is a T1 diabetic so we already get screwed by Big Pharma, now AEP wants to rape the consumers too. I'm over the Big Companies screwing the little guy. Solar panel Company is coming tomorrow to give me the hard estimate, and already calling to pull equity from our home. AEP is a monopoly and shouldnt be allowed to do this to people! We already told Comcast to kick rocks and bought our own router, went to Roku, cant wait to tell AEP to kick rocks too!

Original review: June 21, 2021

I have been told my electric would be on for 2 days then when I told the women I had to take my 2 year old to a hotel where she is uncomfortable with cause she has autism and throw out 325 in groceries she hung up on me after 25 min of being on hold. This the services you provide yea I record it all for the past 2 days.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I just received this RUDE email from AEP's senior reps. Months ago I had reported a streetlight out to AEP and many other lights to the City of Lynchburg. Weeks go by and nothing. I talk to the city on the phone and they said it was AEP's job to maintain. So then I report to AEP that there are numerous lights out in downtown Lynchburg, VA--in a single city block. Their maintenance crew is not on a schedule and is not maintaining the decorative, street, nor leased lights. It's ridiculous. I have had to report this many times, and still they are out and now I have a rude letter from their senior customer service individual (Pen **), telling me that I need to do a better job of giving exact locations of lights out and that I'd be mad if I had no power in my house but saw their employees out there changing light bulbs. I don't even go out there at night but I know those that do would like to be safe in their travels.

This is a residential community. --- So, when citizens attempt due diligence, repeatedly...this is what they are met with. ****It is not the job of citizens to report lights out. It is not my job to get the GPS coordinates of each light--and I WAS VERY SPECIFIC IN REPORTING EACH LIGHT AND THEIR LOCATION, more than once. It is AEP's job to maintain these lights and they have been negligent for an extended period of time.

Original review: April 22, 2021

I called to see if there was anything I could do about a bill since my son Josh was in car accident and broke his neck and fractured his spine. The electric was shut off and they told me there was no assistance they could offer me. My other son Gerald is still living in the home and can’t afford to pay this bill off and they would not provide any assistance. They do this to people because they are only electric company in the area.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

My AEP bill was $178.77. It is only me living at my residence. I heat with gas. My gas bill was $50.57. I called AEP to question this high out of normal bill. I found discrepancies in my past bills regarding extra kWh charges that were not displayed on my bills. The customer service representative was rude and was not listening to me regarding my concerns with the overcharges. She stated “There are going to be extra charges in your bills you aren’t going to be able to see due to the changes in the kWH during the billing terms”. This is not legal.

Just as an example, on a past bill from 12-09/2019 the generation service charge I was charged was $49.21 @ $0.054 kWh. I redid all the calculations and it should have been $48.98. (Algorithm I used - My meter reading 907 x 0.054=48.978 which means my Generation service charge should’ve been $48.98.) I was charged 0.23 cents more. Being the old school person I am. I keep all my AEP bills! I went back through all the bills and found miscalculations in every one of my AEP statements. I told the woman at AEP this just today and she said the above quotation I typed above. This is illegal! Any charges are to be printed in plain site on the bill. Get ready????

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I would be fully off grid if I was able to, especially having to deal with AEP. My electricity is down more than any electric company I have ever been with. I have a handicapped mom living with me and they don't give a rat's butt if she lives or dies. I also work from home full time and when my electricity is down, I do not have internet or phone. If you plan on moving to an area with AEP, I would avoid it like the plague or like Covid-19. Unbelievably irresponsible company.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I realize this will not be allowed on (The AEP) site, however, I don't know how to send a message of complaint as I was hung up on by 2 supervisors in customer service when they answered. Your CSR was very professional and polite but when she put me into the cue, as soon as the supervisor answered, they hung up without a word. My account is ****. I notified AEP Prior to September 30, 2020 that my last day at the address for the above account was September 30. The notification was ignored and when the landlord tried to change the account on the 9th you entered a forced closure. (AEP) Please correct the following issues. 1. When you receive payment with cancellation in writing accept that as the cancellation. 2. Please refund the amount charged from October 1 through October 9th to my account and send the refund to my current address. 3. Take the forced closure from my records. Thank you, Joel ...

Original review: July 26, 2020

It takes them more than 24 hours to get the power back on after Hanna, a category 1 hurricane with average winds of 59 mph. Pathetic! I would hate to see how long it would take with a category 3 or greater hurricane.

Original review: July 16, 2020

I had no technical problems with the company. However, after moving out of a rental, I called to close my account and pay the partial month. Customer service in the company informed me that the last bill I got with the $57 is actually credit and not a bill, so no action needed. Just two months later, I am checking my credit report, and I see a collection account. I have an "Exceptional" payment record. I have never missed a payment in my life. I called the company, I paid the money immediately, but they were very rude and unhelpful.

Every time a new person responds to the email. They deny the fact that I actually made any contact with them. I got a detailed bill from Verizon showing that I called them and talked to them for three full minutes, and they are still denying. This is documented in my email correspondence with customer service. A couple of months later, I find them sending me a check with part of that money back. The company is a mess, and now I will be stuck with a $57 collection account on my report for five more years because of that company and its incompetent customer service.

Original review: May 7, 2020

AEP is committing fraud with opt out meter scam! They're offering opt out of smart meter and deceiving public installing what they say is digital meter but it is in fact a smart meter with same capabilities and charging 25 a month extra claiming they must come read it in person. This is false. Their own worker of 35 years stated it was a smart meter and communicates with other meters and poles nobody needs to come read it! The company that makes meter aclara technologies also confirmed it's a smart meter. Just has no blue stripe to deceive public! Also rf frequency meters pick up microwave, sound, anf freq coming from meter and electricians have also verified it's a scam! Aep denies this and lies in emails stating it emits nothing! They also state not to share or show they're lying emails to anyone and expose them!

They do not install meters with basic electrician safety. They jerk it out and slam smart meter in without cleaning or lubing or inspecting connections, my electrics been out daily many times and ruined appliances from surges due to this and they refuse to do anything. Now I must sue them in court! Ridiculous. They belong in prison all of them! The department of energy a subsidiary of defense should regulate them better! It was proven in supreme court circuit 7 2018 by David Gulbransen law firm to violate our rights illegal search as they use flir technology to spy on all of us in homes, watch us shower and sleep with spouses etc.. And they sell the info to police or highest bidder! This is all facts proven in supreme court! Aep works for Satan!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Turned power off without notice or warning. Claims a letter was sent. It's February 17th and I live in Michigan. It's winter. I have 2 small children and no power so no heat or hot water. Trying to get service installed but am told it will be 1-3 days.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

I reported a street light out in Heath Ohio on Licking View Drive. To this day over 2 months later AEP has not touched the light. I think it’s down right sad that kids waiting at the bus stop are in the dark!!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Okay for years I had First Energy and then out of the blue am getting AEP on my electric bill. A few years ago I got a phone call from I THOUGHT was First Energy but was AEP. These crooks somehow got me as a customer without me even knowing or understanding about it and now they did it again! These crooks have to swindle you into becoming a customer then they are pretty darn crooked in my opinion. This time I think I got a letter but unless I respond would be an AEP customer. My blood pressure is already high. Now I am dealing with this crap again.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I have NEVER had my electric disconnected, though I did get a little behind. AEP began charging me an extra $58.00 in addition to my regular bill, labeling it "Deposit". I paid a deposit years ago when I had my account opened & after a year it was credited back to me. I called the Customer Service Center & I was then advised that because I had been late 3 months in a row they charged me a deposit of $174.00, split in 3 month installments. They said I was advised on July '19 bill. After looking it up online, because I went paperless: it was literally on page 7 of 8. AND the deposit amount is NOT listed. AGAIN: NEVER HAD POWER SHUT OFF. AEP did install "Smart Readers" by their choice... This is a scam to recoup those costs. SCAM ARTISTS.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

AEP is crooks. They charge what they want. Too bad there is not a another provider. If you get a month behind they will stick it to you. There is poor folks out here. Sometimes you get behind and they make it hell to catch up so AEP sucks.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

On 9-30-19 our house had an electrical problem & we called our electrician & he said that PSO had some faulty wires. I had a triple bypass surgery & have not been able to work. We had to go sleep at a friend’s house because it was too hot in the house. The lineman who came out was very rude to us & not polite at all. He was mad because he had to come out. Then he left without saying anything to us or updating us. I had to call to see what was the next step. All of our food was ruined because of PSO. All our light bulbs blew out. William ** sent me a letter on 10-4-19 stating that he was rejecting our claim. PSO wires caused a great hardship. We had a couple of churches donate food to us because I cant work due to my heart condition until I get better. Our house is dark & our fridge got damaged. About 8 bulbs blew. One fan got burned.

Your PSO company put us under a great hardship with your merciless decision to not replace any of damaged things. I just wanted to let you know how the company you are leading is working with the public. If I knew there was another choice for me to get power from. I would go. I feel that maybe we were discriminated because of our last name & no one even called us to see what took place. I soon as I can walk, gain my physical strength, I am going to tell as many people as I can of what PSO to us. I hope you can sleep in peace because we can’t. Our house is dark & thieves may think that no one lives here.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I had not received a bill for awhile and I called AEP to find out why and I was told that I had been put on a paperless billing pilot program, and this was done without my permission. I was told this is because I used Huntington Bank bill pay to pay my bill and I was targeted and put on this program automatically. This is **!!! And to put Icing on the cake they sent my bill to an 11 year old email address, which is no longer in use. You would think that they would at least confirm that the email address they are sending your bill to is correct and up to date. This was not done. I have filed a Complaint with the Ohio public utilities commission. I feel that without my permission they are committing fraud against the consumer by forcing consumers to join something without authorization from the consumer. AEP should be brought up on criminal charges, and forced to compensate the consumers for stress caused by this so called in house billing pilot program.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I own a auto repair shop and I am a 1 man operation. However, since I am a business I am grouped with commercial accounts, same as billionaire Walmart, yet I make nowhere near the money they do. I received a disconnect notice in the mail on June 26th for disconnection on June 27th in the amount of $1900. Now paying the bill would not be a problem if I had at least a week notice. I called to see if I could be given just that long and was told they don't do anything like that for commercial accounts and if I didn't pay it then it would be disconnected and if it remained unpaid for 7 days then my account would be terminated. Well they came and disconnected it and with no electric I can't work to make the money to pay them. Sadly this may be the end of my business which has been in the same location since 1980.

Original review: June 20, 2019

AEP sucks!!! They refuse to give me a warning cut-off notice or anything of any kind. I haven't received a bill in a month and a half 2 months in a row. I've had to pay $50 cut on fee for them to PUSH A DAMNED BUTTON! That's a extra $100!!! My power bill only runs a 100 to 150 now whereas before Obama it was usually 60 to $90 a month. Trump gets elected, cuts all these regulations that caused our power to go so high but have we seen a decrease in our power bills? Not from AEP. We haven't. I pray everyday for the rest of my days here on this Earth that AEP be brought down and be judged. Since I started this practice they have suffered many blows and I have a feeling they're really going to intensify now because my prayers are.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I have been critical of AEP in the past. However, I need to provide credit when due. This morning at 3am noticed only one leg of 240 vac was feeding residence but returned to normal until around 8am when the same thing happened and then returned to normal. This issue affected other residences as well. Made a call and by 10am there was a person checking the lines and told us that they would replace the Transformer and will try to get it today but if not, by Tuesday. The Transformer was replaced today with minimal power outage and I do mean minimal (<1hr). AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE, WELL DONE and MUCH APPRECIATED.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Our electric bill with AEP has been $300 to $700 every month for the past 2 years. We had our AC checked out of concern and the tech found nothing wrong with it. We have brand new windows, use low energy bulbs and insulate under doors with no effect to our bill. The local news found that AEP have been overspending on advertising, lobbying and CEO salaries which is where these overcharges are going. I haven't paid more than $200 per month in the dead of winter on the electric bill until 2017. We're about to go broke trying to keep our lights on, this is insane.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I've always paid American Electric Power Company every single month and back in November of last year American Electric Power Company stole $188.16 from me. They claimed that the $188.16 didn't go through even though I KNOW 100% FOR SURE that my $188.16 back in November DID go through. Then American Power Company claims to have returned my $188.16 and want me to pay their scam selfs $9 something for returning my $188.16 THAT THEY NEVER RETURNED and now they keep changing me more money every single month and I STILL HAVE NEVER GOT MY $188.16 BACK FROM THEM.

And then I tried to switch to StateWise Energy and I get something in the mail saying that StateWise Energy cancel my switch to StateWise so I called StateWise Energy and asking them WHY were they cancel my switch to StateWise Energy and the person that I talked to at StateWise told me THAT AMERICAN POWER COMPANY IS REALLY THE ONES THAT CANCEL MY SWITCH TO STATEWISE ENERGY.

I am already going to be taken American Power Company to the Supreme Court and sue American Power Company for $10.000 dollars. American Power Company ONLY CARES ABOUT MAKING MONEY OFF OF PEOPLE. They really don't care about anything else but making money off other people so don't be scared of suing American Power Company.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have two AEP accounts at my house. One is for my house and one is for my pool. I turn my break off for the pool in Oct and turn it back on in April or May. In 2017 my pool account balance was always zero. Somewhere along the way AEP now charges me for not using electric. I have to pay them 3-5 dollars a month just to be their customer. THIS IS A JOKE! I guess I am also paying it on my house bill as well. AEP can't even tell me what the fee is for and when it went into effect. I think a lawyer needs to look into what AEP is charging their customers. This doesn't seem legal. I could see a usage fee or tax but how do you charge me a bill when I am not using your electricity. Please tell me!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I spoke with three representatives for AEP via phone, one claiming to be a supervisor, about an incorrect bill I received. AEP took an actual reading of my meter for this bill and is attempting to charge more for previous months when an actual reading was not taken. But they can’t attribute a specific amount to any given month unless an actual reading is taken. So if their estimate is off they have to adjust and make up for it on the month when an actual reading has taken place. But that is not what my bill reflects. The meter only shows a total used so there isn’t a way to look back at previous usages from the meter. My bill does not reflect this. They are attempting to add random charges to previous months.

When I explained this all three reps were not mentally competent and could not understand basic logic or basic math. The supposed supervisor was extremely rude and stupid. I informed them verbally and in writing that they billed incorrectly and if it isn’t corrected, and they happen to send a disconnect notice, I will have to take action against AEP.

Original review: March 1, 2019

This is by far the worst electric company known to earth. They charge you outrageous prices then for personal reasons had to change the name on the account and then decided to leave it alone because of the deposit and after speaking to them and telling them to leave it how it was a week later come home to no electric. Call them again and they proceed to tell me we needed to restart service. Spoke to a supervisor. He said my electric would be on by 6:30 or call back. He would have a emergency crew come turn it on.

At 7:30 I call and am on hold forever for a different supervisor to tell me I would be contacted tomorrow by someone for proof of residency and this wasn’t AEP’s fault. The hell if it wasn’t. They should have cleared all of this up the week before. So my family is expected to sit in a COLD house when it’s snowing and 27 degrees outside and did I mention I have paid probably $3,000 the last 6 months and this is what you get. AEP is the worst ever. Maybe their employees should LISTEN and fix problems before they occur. Would give you no stars if I could.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Power blips approximately 1 time per week which I assume is due to switching the "Grid" or service to the Grid (perhaps the squirrel died or the wheel broke). This "blip" results in surges to my residence and all equipment and appliances. The service has been this way for well over 15 years and I have traveled around the world and have resided in various states both in and out of CONUS and must say that this is the worst service that I have ever had to pay for. I am confident that Fred Flinstone's service was more reliable. Suggest that greater focus on the customers and less on ROI and Bonuses would help resolve the issue. I know that there are previous complaints pertaining to these issues and at one time it was thought to be targeted for resolution, which seems to have been shelved.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I am not making this up!!! I had two properties located next to each other both of which I received a bill for so I wrote one check with both acct #s in the memo as I have done for years. I sold the properties and received my final bill. Good riddance of AEP right!! Wrong. 2 weeks later I received a Mastercard gift card stating I had overpaid $6.42. Two weeks later I get a bill for $6.42 so I called them to pay with the gift card but they wanted to charge me $1.85 to take an electronic payment. I asked them to look up my accounts and they said I had overpaid 6.42 on my 712 address so I asked them to look up the bill at 712 1/2 and was told I was short 6.42. I am no rocket scientist but this proved to them I had paid my bill exactly to the penny! What a horrible company! I wish them nothing but the worst.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

AEP Ohio - We switched banks from Chase to US Bank and in the midst of the chaos (we did our best to ensure that EVERY vendor--all 182 of them--had the new payment information, but) apparently you fell through the cracks. I apologize for the inconvenience. I know it's frustrating not to get the money you're owed. While upon paying my bill (3 days late), I discovered that I am banned from using ANY bank account for A YEAR!!! A YEAR!!! I also discovered that we cannot even use a debit card (real money) and would be forced to use A CREDIT CARD (debt and stupidity) to pay the bill. This is quite frankly unacceptable. It's a stupid policy. Whoever came up with this policy is a stupid person. If it was brought to the attention of your board and voted upon favorably, then your board is FULL of stupid people.

Apparently it's just stupid upon stupid over there and that's no way to run an organization--you should do better. I just thought you should know that. I propose a new policy, in lieu of your retarded one: assess a fee for inconvenience--it was our fault in this case--and move on. Don't block your subscribers from paying with a bank account for a year--that's ridiculous--no, let's call it over-extensively stupid. I would also advocate that if you are having difficulty with people paying their bills on time, people paying with credit cards doesn't help the cause. It drives them into debt and eventually into financial problems--then you don't get any money. C'mon! My 8-year-old understands this.

Anyway, I will be posting this on all of the social media outlets, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, multiple message boards, etc. I'll also be reporting this abuse (you've cost me more in labor and man hours to get this resolved with your ridiculous policies) to BBB and multiple other review sites. I will further tell my story to anyone who will listen. I'm also going to start advocating people switch to the alternative power companies that don't have (you guessed it) stupid policies. Consider this your stupid-tax! Stay far away from this company if you can help it. Send letters of complaint to current President/COO: Julie Sloat (home address coming soon). :-)

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My power was disconnected because of a past due bill that was in someone else's name. I have called AEP multiple times and they just keep telling me that the other past due needs to be paid before my electric service will be turned on.

American Electric Power Company Information