2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

3.3/5 (80 ratings)

About Westin Vacation Club

Westin Vacation Club Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westin Vacation Club?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westin Vacation Club?

Original review: June 10, 2021

I was offered 6 days/5 nights at The Westin Princeville Ocean Resorts Villas, plus a “6 day Avis rental car for sightseeing, adventure, and island travel.” All for $649, with only a $199 refundable offer to accept. When I accepted, I was later told Avis car rentals were in short supply. Substitute offers were inadequate, and unattractive, so we declined, but they refused to refund my deposit. They very much use “bait and switch tactics” to get you “in the door,” but refuse to honor their offer!

Original review: May 5, 2021

Your Review: In 2017, we were contacted and offered a free stay at the Westin Nanea Ocean Villas. We specifically asked if this was going to be a timeshare presentation as we had previously experienced that with another company. The representative was quick to assure us that this was not the case, so we agreed to accept the “free” trip. When we arrived at the resort, we met with the staff that gave us a tour of the property and started talking to us about the opportunities that we had to own property in Maui.

NEVER was this represented to us as a timeshare! In fact, the paperwork specifically calls it a “Vacation Ownership Deed” which led us to believe that this was the real property that we could pass on to our children in the future. The salesperson we met with told us that this was a 3-year investment and that we would be able to use it forever but now we know that is not at all true! This was actually a 10-year timeshare loan! We trusted that employees at a company like Westin would be more truthful and clearly we were wrong!

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2021

This company only wants your money. It's too expensive and you can never get a hold of customer service. Been trying to call for days to get a hold of someone to change over my points. Recording says over an hour wait, try again....but this is the only thing you can do and it never changes. There are deadlines and you can't call to get anyone to help. The worst money ever spent is on this vacation club. If they can't answer the phones then they should make it to where you can do it online. And even the online chat says they cant help me at this time because I have to call in. Ridiculous!!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

We have owned at Westin Kaanapali Ocean Villas in Maui since 2013. We have since added units in the Virgin Islands and at Nanea in Maui. Suffice it to say we would not have added units if we were unhappy with our experience. People seem to love or hate their time share; there is little middle ground. The key is to know what you are buying. We first bought Westin Maui because we love the location and value the brand. Our initial purchase was pre-Vistana. We were nervous/concerned about the ownership change. It has not been perfect but has largely smoothed out. We added Nanea since the change.

We are in Maui now, enjoying our time. Check in was a breeze as usual and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. We were originally scheduled to come in November but canceled due to COVID. We had no problem rolling our options into this time period. We were here in March, 2020 and basically got kicked out as the virus started to invade Maui. It was an odd time and the discomfort we all felt was not the fault of the resort. Everyone was scared. The virus has been tough on everyone including the resorts. I do not expect Vistana to be able to offer unlimited extensions to usage as the calendar would then not be able to accommodate all the owners. That said, Vistana has been flexible with us around cancellations and rebooking.

Our greatest disappointment came a couple of years ago during the buildout of Nanea. We found it impossible to book the type of unit (two bedroom oceanfront) for which we had paid. That issue has sorted itself out since construction completion. Our overall experience over the years has been very positive. We have come as a couple, brought our kids and grandkids, and let our kids use the properties on their own. We have traded options for usage multiple times, in Cancun, Scottsdale, and Palm Springs. We have never been disappointed. Funny, though we have owned in the Virgin Islands for six years we have never been. We have been canceled twice, once due to hurricane and once due to the virus. Again, not the resort’s fault. We have successfully used those star options for trading fodder at other resorts.

Again, know what you are buying. The location of your home resort is critical. Being able to book a year out at your favorite property is very important. The reason I give four stars and not five is that Vistana and Marriott need to keep proving themselves and earning our trust. Also, we get pressure every time we check in to do an “owners’ update” which is code for them trying to sell us more timeshare. We just say no but the process is distasteful.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

From the beginning, this has been an exercise in deceit. The salesperson, Lucy, at Nanea, Maui lied to me about special offers for buying points then made a token offer of 10,000 points when I called her out on her dishonesty. They also misrepresent their affiliation with Marriott - you do not have access to those properties. They are kept separate. They neglect to tell you they charge you additional fees for housekeeping, and I get dinged an extra $40 with every stay on top of the maintenance fees - by the way, there's no housekeeping during the pandemic, yet they still charge the fee.

During the CoVid crisis, they won't cancel reservations even though they claim to care about the health of their members. I tried to cancel because we didn't wish to travel, and they told me I would forfeit my points. I can honestly say that getting involved with Vistana was one of the poorer decisions I have ever made. If you are considering it, reconsider and stay away.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I bought the timeshare at Westin since 2004. Recently due to Dovid-19, I have to reschedule the reservations in 2020 multiple times. All I want is to extend the reservations till 2021, but they are not flexible to extend them, without charging additional fees. Their website indicates they care for your health and safety but yet they make it difficult for you when you cannot travel due to health risks. Is there something anyone can do?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

We have owned 1 Westin/Vistana timeshare that we bought when our kids were young... Seemed like a good idea then. At times, we've struggled to use it and have been annoyed that the locations have never expanded in the 10+ years we've owned it (a promise that was made to us when we bought). With the pandemic, we tried to get our 2020 week carried over into Jan 2021, as travel has obviously not been something we have looked to do thus far this year. When we called to see what accommodations are in place during this pandemic, they advised that the management is doing nothing to help out their owners! Not even a one week extension into January is possible. Unbelievable. This is the only company we know of not making any exceptions during an exceptional year. Shame on you. We will be looking to get out of our timeshare after this experience.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

Hello, We bought a timeshare here after visiting this resort. Told it would be an ocean view and in a particular "quiet" bldg. Told we can roll over points to get 2 weeks together. Went to make a reservation for next summer - could only reserve one week as "points" can only be used 8 months out. "But a special tip, call at midnight 8 months out and you MIGHT be able to book. No, the agent told you a specific bldg but that is just contractual language... we can put you in any view room." Same old TS lies. I am so so sorry this reputable company has stooped to these tactics. Sorry I ever bought it.

Original review: June 24, 2020

We own 3 Vistana timeshares. With the pandemic, the parent company is not providing any assistance to its owners, especially seniors. Obviously, being senior citizens it is not safe for us to travel to any of our timeshares in 2020. When I called to see what accommodations are in place during this pandemic, they advised that the management is doing nothing to help out their owners. We will lose our weeks of options that are expiring this year, and we would have to pay to bank other options that we cannot use this year. Probably the only company in this country not willing to work with its clients.

Original review: May 8, 2020

My husband and I are owners of a villa at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas in Maui. We had a reservation there for June 13-20 (which we booked a year ago) and which we fully intended to honor, but were forced to cancel due the ongoing Coronavirus-Covid-19 pandemic. In calling owner services to cancel the reservation, I was advised that the cancellation would result in restrictions, and that we would be unable to bank star-options and/or book more than 120 days out. I was both astonished and outraged to learn that in the middle of a national/global crisis, Westin (Vistana) is penalizing owners for something that is beyond their control. I submitted a formal complaint and intend to file complaints with appropriate local, state, and federal authorities.

Westin Vacation Club Company Information