Virgin America Airlines
3.97/5

Looking for a travel site?

Virgin America

Looking for a travel site?

196 Virgin America Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We recently used Virgin the first time from a flight to Atlanta to London and back. Granted, the seats in economy are tight regardless what airline, but it's the little things that make the experience with Virgin sooo much better than any other airline I have flown with. Starting with a much cleaner plane (the tables had actually been wiped down thoroughly, which surprised me doing my obligatory antibacterial wipe down ritual before take off. The toilets were cleaned SEVERAL times during this overseas flight.

The safety video (which is done like a superhero movie) got everybody to actually pay attention (including my kids), the menus provided upfront are very informative and fun, the food was actually not just eatable but delicious, but what really stood out both times were the crews. They were excellent, the service was fantastic and they have just the right sense of humor to make it a bit more fun. Plus on the way back, we had a problem with my husband's chair, I am not going into detail, but the way they took care of us because of this issue was above and beyond - they made us feel so well taken care off - I would give this airline based on these 2 experiences 10 out of 5. Wish they would fly more destinations.

Original review: May 31, 2018

We cramp into the seat but other than that it was OK. I got to watch a movie while on flight and luckily, I had an ear piece that fit the plug. Virgin America Airlines was OK.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 22, 2018

We were scheduled to leave for an important trip to LA very EARLY; and due to a weather FORECAST, Virgin cancelled the flight (other airlines with later flights took off and made it safely to LA). The website had a link to change the flight which did not work, and kept taking me back to the STATUS of the flight. We called the Virgin America number on BOTH our cell phone and our house phone. After 2 hours and 50 minutes, the cell phone was cut off... We dialled again. We decided to call Expedia through whom we had booked this flight. They did answer, but were not able to obtain a timely flight for us. Meanwhile NO one at Virgin had picked up/answered the calls we had on our other cell phone and house phone -- 3 1/2 hours later.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I’m not sure what has happened to the art of humbly and kindly displaying hospitality in the air, but Justine and the rest of the crew aboard the Virgin America flight VX 1340 9:30 am on 3/10/2018 to Fort Lauderdale was extremely unprofessional and certainly not eager to be courteous. Early on in our flight, the captain placed the seatbelt sign on due to turbulence. I needed to use the restroom. As I glance back I saw a gentleman standing and waiting near where Justine and another attendant were sitting in their quarters. They were laughing, giggling and flirting with the passenger as he stood and waited for the restroom to become available.

When He went into the restroom, I stood up to wait exactly where he just stood, only to get a very rude toned request to sit while I wait. I asked why that gentlemen wasn’t addressed in the same manner to only have another rude response followed by the two employees speaking poorly of me as I entered the restroom. For the remainder of the flight, the stewardesses treated me very poorly and made me feel extremely uncomfortable with nasty stares.

At one point I was watching a movie, and the head stewardess, Diane, not having any interaction with me prior, came over in an aggressive manner and waved her hand in front of my face, with no smile asked me if there is a problem here she should be aware of, when I said no, because I was not about to have any further aggressive and rude comments thrown my way, she asked again, "Are you sure?" I felt bullied on this flight. It is my hope that you will address this behavior for future passenger experience.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Flown with them at least three times now and try to pick that flight out when offered a choice. Super friendly from check-in desk to stewardesses. Fun crew but still with an air of professionalism.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Virgin America?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I recently flew Virgin American to Denver and back from SFO (Airbus A320). Alaska Airlines has merged with Virgin America and moved to Terminal 2 at SFO. The passenger seating area at Terminal 2 was a dive - old, uncomfortable seats over-lit with recess lighting shining in my face and small. Most of the gate area was filled with tables where some high tech types worked away like it was an office. Very austere environment. The Virgin experience was mixed. On the positive side, the center aisle overhead lighting was soft blue and indirect making you feel like you were settling in for a long overseas flight and nap. On the negative side were the following issues:

All three reading lights in the airbus were over the middle seat! So you get roasted in the middle seat if someone next to you wants to read. You certainly can't sleep because the reading lights cast over you. The lights are not directed to just the reader's seat, making them intrusive for those in the other two seats. Now if I was on an international flight settling in for a snooze and the guy next to me decides to read a book, I'm screwed with a migraine. Another issue with Virgin was their safety directions, which are delegated to a hip hop video on the computer screen on the seat backs. Not very serious and makes you wonder. Also, the screens get a little tiresome always in your face. Sometimes less is more - you just want it to go away. It borders on harassment.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I flew with Virgin America over the holidays and arrived in San Francisco on December 26, 2017. They lost my luggage and have since had little to minimal contact with me. They told me they would be in contact with me every day for the first few days. I received one call during that time with no new information. Since then I have received a total of 2 calls. Every time I call the number they gave me, I'm directed to a voicemail where I leave a message and am never called back. I've called to complain several times and they just keep transferring me until the final person tells me they can't help me. I am beyond frustrated with this airline. I have flown with so many airlines before and I have never had such terrible customer service.

My luggage had really valuable items inside including medication, Christmas gifts, makeup, work clothes, etc. They claimed they would reimburse me for the items in the luggage and any essentials I had to purchase because of this "delay" (lost my luggage). I purchased over 300 dollars worth of stuff which is not even close to the items' costs in my suitcase. Since I had to use my own money to reimburse some of the items lost, I was limited on funds. I brought my most expensive things with me because I trusted the airlines. They never even reimbursed for the baggage fee paid.

I'm tired of consistently trying to contact them to be on the hold for 40 minutes for them to tell they don't know what to do. I am beyond irritated and the way they handle business is a joke. They lost my luggage, not me. They need to take responsibility and quit playing games. I had valuable things, many of which can't be replaced. Never had such a poor customer service experience. They shouldn't be in business.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

The flight was good although the airplane arrived and departed late. It may have been due to rough weather. But the boarding went efficiently fast and the airline personnel was courteous and friendly.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

An absolutely awful experience. I had a very tight schedule and had scheduled for a flight to land in Los Angeles at 9:35 AM. When I arrived at the airport in Philly I was told that the flight would not land until 10:16 AM and I was told that I was wrong. I was crazy. The flight is not delayed and I was given an attitude by the lady at the Virgin Airlines gate named Amber.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

We are flying from Boston to San Francisco. Upon arrival at Boston-Logan Airport we were checked in for the flight and never notified of a delay. 15 minutes later, we were notified of a 1 hour delay. This delay turned into a two, three and now a four hour delay. The incoming flight is coming from SFO so Virgin America had to know but never notified us. The flight just keeps being pushed back. They claim it is a weather issue. There is no weather in SFO right now so I cannot imagine what this delay is about. It is our first time flying this Airlines. NOT IMPRESSED!

Virgin America expert review by Erika Armstrong

Even though the licensed logo and Virgin name are on the tail, Virgin Atlantic only owns 25% while the rest is owned by private investors who are U.S. citizens. Since its launch in 2007, the California-based airline’s mission has been to “make flying good again.”

• Fun, innovative amenities: Cabins feature mood lighting, custom-designed leather seats, power outlets, fleet wide in-flight WiFi and video touch-screen at every seatback.

• Eco-conscious: The company has a brand new fleet of A320s, which have up to 20% more fuel and carbon efficiency than the average U.S. fleet. They are the first domestic airline to offer a carbon offset option in-flight.

• Seat-to-seat delivery: This feature allows guests to send a cocktail, snack or meal to a fellow traveler onboard their flight using a digital seat map.

• Elevate: The company’s frequent flyer program has no black-out dates or restrictions, and has 3.8 million members.

• Travel Change Fee: This allows for same day travel change (if available) for a nominal fee of $25-50.

• Best for: Business travelers, holiday travelers and any type of travel between major international cities in the U.S.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
      Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Virgin America Airlines Company Information