1.20/5

Discover a great timeshare now

Discover a great timeshare now

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

The Manhattan Club Reviews

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I’ve owned since 2001 and things worked well for several years until they continued to oversell the shares and then sold more rooms on a nightly basis to online customers. I don’t have much to add to the numerous stories about TMC except that I finally refused to pay the maintenance fee a few years ago when I couldn’t book a room. They have harassed me consistently but I just told them I’ve contacted the NYS Attorney General’s office and they haven’t been too serious in their threats to foreclose. Recently, they contacted me to decide the situation and they’ve offered me $100 to return the deed to them. I’ve been researching on the web to see if there is a better option but it seems everything is still questionable. I received the paperwork today (9/22/2019) and I’m going to finally put this behind me. If you want to try this route contact Christine **, Deed-in-Lieu of Foreclosure Dept, **. That’s the signatory on the paperwork I got today.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

We found this hotel via Priceline, and made the reservation 10 minutes before we arrived. Priceline gave it 4 stars. Two of our family members have mold allergies. A few minutes in the first room they offered us resulted in a sinus headache for one person and a stuffy nose for another. The room smelled of mold, cigarettes and air freshener. We apologized that we couldn't stay there and asked to cancel the reservation. They sent us to two other rooms...schlepping our luggage at 10pm. Both of the alternate rooms had the same smell: a cocktail of mold, cigarettes, and air-freshener. The alternate rooms seemed worse than the first. By the time we made it through all three rooms our sinus symptoms were worse, and my daughter was in tears.

We asked to cancel the reservation and get our money back. We had tried our best to make it work. They told us that they would except that we have to go through Priceline. They cancelled our $300 hold on my credit card and gave us a receipt, but wouldn't give us documentation that we were leaving. They charged my credit card $300 two days later. We called Priceline for a refund: and they called The Manhattan Club. The Manhatten Club told them not to refund our money because they had offered us three different rooms; so Priceline refused any compensation. They could have offered us 300 rooms. If a room makes you sick, you can't stay, and you shouldn't be charged, period.

The parking attendant charged us the full 24-hour rate of $35 for the hour we were running from room to room. This wasn't easy either. The valet came back without our car. We needed to get help from the parking manager. The elevators are small and shaky, and loaded with guests: two tiny elevators and 25 floors. It was a nightmare. Not to mention the scary dudes in dark suits and ear-pieces loitering in the lobby. "Green light" was the message from one to another...whatever that meant. Seriously?! Run.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: May 7, 2018

I bought this timeshare in Sept 2010, I experienced the same issues everyone else on this thread are complaining about. No rooms available, but finding that someone could call in from outside the owner's club and rent a room at a fraction of the cost that our maintenance fees are. To be held hostage by a group of unethical scum who raised the maintenance fees to over $2000, with no way out of this horrible deal. Am still making my monthly payment as of today May 7th 2018, I can't afford to pay for the maintenance fee of now $2,460.97. The maintenance is due every Sep., but now just rec'd the statement for this year to be pay by ending of this month. I want to stop paying the maintenance fee, but I don't know if it will affect any changes of the settlement.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Booked a suite here for December 2nd at a rate of over $500. I woke the next morning with an incredible headache and the smell of mold in my room. As I was having a cup of coffee I was looking up at one of the HVAC ducts in my room and noticed black dots all over it. Upon closer examination it was revealed to be black mold. I went in the bedroom and check the Ducts there and it was the same thing. Covered in black mold. I open the HVAC cabinet on the wall and noted that the air filter probably hasn't been changed in over a year based on how thick the dust and dirt was on it. I could pull it off like I was peeling a carpet away. I checked out as fast as possible and upon visiting my doctor the next day I had a respiratory infection which required antibiotics to treat. He agreed the likely cause was sleeping in a mold-infested environment.

I called the front desk a week or so later and was laughed off the phone by a person who "refuse to give my name." After my negative review on another site I was emailed by someone who said he was a manager wanting me to come back and try his place again while I find that highly unlikely. This is my second bad experience with the Manhattan Club and as you can tell from the reviews on consumeraffairs.com they obviously could care less about their guests and members for that matter. I have no intention on ever staying in this place again. I have pictures of the Dust caked filter from the HVAC system as well as the mold growing on the ducts in my room. I have pictures of the Dust caked filter as well as The Moldy ducts in my room. If you're interested you can email me at ** and I will be happy to share them with you.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

My husband and I bought a week in April of 2014. Our contract allowed us to either stay at The Manhattan Club for a week each year or to receive 184,500 points to deposit with RCI. After we signed the contract, the salesperson changed the contract by checking a "points only" box on the contract. When we picked up our contract the next morning, it was on a CD and we could only access it when we got home and it was too late to cancel it. When we called to book a week at The Manhattan Club, we were told that we had a points only contract and could only book by paying extra fees and booking through RCI. We stopped paying maintenance fees because we were defrauded. The New York Attorney General found the owners guilty of fraud in 2017. All "owners" are waiting for to see the results as of 2/2018.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Manhattan Club?

Original review: June 7, 2017

I bought this timeshare years ago to have a place to stay in NYC to take my daughter in to enjoy Christmas. As time progressed, she got older and eventually moved away. I then began to experience the same issues everyone else on this thread are complaining about. No rooms available, but finding that someone could call in from outside the owner's club and rent a room at a fraction of the cost that our maintenance fees are. To be held hostage by a group of unethical scum who raised the maintenance fees from under $800 a year to over $2000, with no way out of this horrible deal.

They won't take the room back even though I said they can have it for free, as trying to sell it was a real joke. Lost thousands trying to do that. I have absolutely no ability to pay this year's fees that are absolutely out of control, and I get a bill in the mail with additional fees and interest and threats that the fees and interest will continue to increase along with legal and negative credit scores to come. I hope they all burn in hell as soon as possible.

Original review: May 24, 2017

We purchased our timeshare in 2005 paid 32K cash, it was good for a couple of years. But eventually like so many others we were unable to get reservations for days wanted. Maintenance fees increased to over 2k annually and late fees and charges made it almost impossible to stay afloat, not to mention the failing health of my partner which made it difficult to even travel like we had in the past. With the Manhattan Club in litigation, do we still have to pay maintenance fees when we continue to be scammed? Now I hear that there is lead in the paint in many of the rooms and you can only stay on certain floors. I wonder if this has contribute to my partners failing health.

Original review: April 10, 2017

We have owned our timeshare since about 2000, but have never been able to book a room there when we needed it. We have had to join RCI to use time elsewhere. Our fees have become exorbitant, but we can't get out - just like all the other complaints seen here. Is there a class action suit? If so, we would like to join. We are now on a fixed income and none of their promises to buy back are being honored.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

I too was told all the same sales BS when I bought it in 2001. Skyrocketing fees and very hard time getting reservations. So why don't we all form a legitimate "Company"... An LLC. We can all then sell the timeshares to that company then that company can withhold the fees. The MC will have to negotiate with this other company and we can at least get something back. IF they take a hard stance and won't negotiate then our "company" goes bankrupt. IF we set that company up properly it won't damage our personal credit scores and by the time it's all said and done maybe the MC goes belly up.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I too am a victim of The Manhattan Club sales practices and promises. Since we purchased in 2004 for cash, the maintenance fees have suffered an exorbitant increase. I called and offered the unit back to Manhattan Club and received the same excuse as others. They would love to take it back, but were prevented by the Attorney General's open investigation.

This year I told them that I could no longer afford the maintenance fees. They said they would mark my account. Also suggested that I put it for sale in eBay for $500.00. I explained that I could rent a unit from them for 7 nights a year and it would be about $1000.00 less than my maintenance. Of course I got a mouthful of reasons why I am mistaken. If anyone has an experienced lawyer that will take this on as a class action, please let me know. All of the timeshare exit people that I have spoken with appear to be in the same boat as Manhattan Club. Fast talkers and no action.

The Manhattan Club Company Information