1.21/5
Based on 111 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover a great timeshare now

Last updated: April 4, 2018

117 The Manhattan Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 4, 2018

Booked a suite here for December 2nd at a rate of over $500. I woke the next morning with an incredible headache and the smell of mold in my room. As I was having a cup of coffee I was looking up at one of the HVAC ducts in my room and noticed black dots all over it. Upon closer examination it was revealed to be black mold. I went in the bedroom and check the Ducts there and it was the same thing. Covered in black mold. I open the HVAC cabinet on the wall and noted that the air filter probably hasn't been changed in over a year based on how thick the dust and dirt was on it. I could pull it off like I was peeling a carpet away. I checked out as fast as possible and upon visiting my doctor the next day I had a respiratory infection which required antibiotics to treat. He agreed the likely cause was sleeping in a mold-infested environment.

I called the front desk a week or so later and was laughed off the phone by a person who "refuse to give my name." After my negative review on another site I was emailed by someone who said he was a manager wanting me to come back and try his place again while I find that highly unlikely. This is my second bad experience with the Manhattan Club and as you can tell from the reviews on consumeraffairs.com they obviously could care less about their guests and members for that matter. I have no intention on ever staying in this place again. I have pictures of the Dust caked filter from the HVAC system as well as the mold growing on the ducts in my room. I have pictures of the Dust caked filter as well as The Moldy ducts in my room. If you're interested you can email me at ** and I will be happy to share them with you.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

My husband and I bought a week in April of 2014. Our contract allowed us to either stay at The Manhattan Club for a week each year or to receive 184,500 points to deposit with RCI. After we signed the contract, the salesperson changed the contract by checking a "points only" box on the contract. When we picked up our contract the next morning, it was on a CD and we could only access it when we got home and it was too late to cancel it. When we called to book a week at The Manhattan Club, we were told that we had a points only contract and could only book by paying extra fees and booking through RCI. We stopped paying maintenance fees because we were defrauded. The New York Attorney General found the owners guilty of fraud in 2017. All "owners" are waiting for to see the results as of 2/2018.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 7, 2017

I bought this timeshare years ago to have a place to stay in NYC to take my daughter in to enjoy Christmas. As time progressed, she got older and eventually moved away. I then began to experience the same issues everyone else on this thread are complaining about. No rooms available, but finding that someone could call in from outside the owner's club and rent a room at a fraction of the cost that our maintenance fees are. To be held hostage by a group of unethical scum who raised the maintenance fees from under $800 a year to over $2000, with no way out of this horrible deal.

They won't take the room back even though I said they can have it for free, as trying to sell it was a real joke. Lost thousands trying to do that. I have absolutely no ability to pay this year's fees that are absolutely out of control, and I get a bill in the mail with additional fees and interest and threats that the fees and interest will continue to increase along with legal and negative credit scores to come. I hope they all burn in hell as soon as possible.

Original review: May 24, 2017

We purchased our timeshare in 2005 paid 32K cash, it was good for a couple of years. But eventually like so many others we were unable to get reservations for days wanted. Maintenance fees increased to over 2k annually and late fees and charges made it almost impossible to stay afloat, not to mention the failing health of my partner which made it difficult to even travel like we had in the past. With the Manhattan Club in litigation, do we still have to pay maintenance fees when we continue to be scammed? Now I hear that there is lead in the paint in many of the rooms and you can only stay on certain floors. I wonder if this has contribute to my partners failing health.

Original review: April 10, 2017

We have owned our timeshare since about 2000, but have never been able to book a room there when we needed it. We have had to join RCI to use time elsewhere. Our fees have become exorbitant, but we can't get out - just like all the other complaints seen here. Is there a class action suit? If so, we would like to join. We are now on a fixed income and none of their promises to buy back are being honored.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Manhattan Club?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

I too was told all the same sales BS when I bought it in 2001. Skyrocketing fees and very hard time getting reservations. So why don't we all form a legitimate "Company"... An LLC. We can all then sell the timeshares to that company then that company can withhold the fees. The MC will have to negotiate with this other company and we can at least get something back. IF they take a hard stance and won't negotiate then our "company" goes bankrupt. IF we set that company up properly it won't damage our personal credit scores and by the time it's all said and done maybe the MC goes belly up.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I too am a victim of The Manhattan Club sales practices and promises. Since we purchased in 2004 for cash, the maintenance fees have suffered an exorbitant increase. I called and offered the unit back to Manhattan Club and received the same excuse as others. They would love to take it back, but were prevented by the Attorney General's open investigation.

This year I told them that I could no longer afford the maintenance fees. They said they would mark my account. Also suggested that I put it for sale in eBay for $500.00. I explained that I could rent a unit from them for 7 nights a year and it would be about $1000.00 less than my maintenance. Of course I got a mouthful of reasons why I am mistaken. If anyone has an experienced lawyer that will take this on as a class action, please let me know. All of the timeshare exit people that I have spoken with appear to be in the same boat as Manhattan Club. Fast talkers and no action.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2016

The Manhattan Club is a scam and a Class Action will prove it! Purchased in 2002. Over the years we've had trouble booking. For an extra fee, we Used RCI so we wouldn't lose the weeks. The Maintenance fee went from $783 a year to $2400. I told them I don't want it anymore and they can have it. They said I can't do that. I was told If I don't pay the fee this year, it will go into foreclosure and hurt my credit rating. What kind of crap is this???

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

My husband & I have owned at the Manhattan Club for over 10 years. Having read many of the letters already written at this site, I find that most of us have nearly the same experiences and frustrations dealing with this company. We too bought the plan where we could split our week & visit NY multiple times during the year with only one Saturday. We couldn't always get in when we wanted, but at first it wasn't too much of a problem. There were no additional fees to book a room and we could call & check for an opening anytime. We could also cancel up to 3 days in advance of a stay without a penalty.

About 3 years ago, the MC made an appointment with us which they said was mandatory for all owners. Since we were having increasing frustration over lack of availability at the MC, inability to trade for where we would like to vacation, & enormous maintenance fee increases, we kept the appointment, hoping to discuss selling our timeshare. A representative actually met with us in our home and began discussing going to the points program for an additional $5000. He had all the right reasons why it would be a better plan for us. AND WE BELIEVED HIM. Now however, we find that we are charged a fee for almost every transaction we make. We cannot sell without taking a huge loss. The yearly maintenance fees are exorbitant. We still cannot get in when we request 11 months in advance.

There is a fee for letting someone else use it (for instance, a night in the city as a gift). There is a charge should you cancel after 24 hours of making reservations. And now, to top it off, last night I tried to book for a certain 4 nights in October 2017. We not only couldn't get those 4 nights, we had to settle for 4 others & now are charged a fee for breaking up our week. We invested in the MC in good faith, and now feel totally taken advantage of. Not a good feeling. Wish we could go back & erase any interactions we've had with this company. On some level, what they are doing has to be at least bordering on illegal, and at the very least immoral.

Original review: April 20, 2016

I read the complaint written by the 80+ year old TMC member. It created great fear in me. I bought my unit over 20 years ago. At then I was a middle-aged professional who saved enough to pay cash for a part of my retirement dream - to have some space in NYC for fun, by buying a unit of Manhattan Club at affordable annual expense. As I had reached retirement age now, the maintenance fee quadrupled, the irritation in getting the service I paid for increased 1000%, and my capital investment had gone to zero; I now realized that it's very possible. I will be in debt and being evicted from my real retirement home. Here is why... I'm on social security with a tiny pension and very small chunk of savings, and I had extreme difficult time to squeeze out my 2200 plus a year maintenance fee from my fixed income.

Couple years ago, I fail to pay my fees on time. A week later I was put on collection. The phones rang off the hook. I was threatened with tarnished credit report. When I managed to borrow and paid off the debt, I had paid twice the amount I owed. All happened in one month. Three times in the past 7-8 years, I tried several venues to get out the unit I owned. I lost additional couple thousand of dollars to the scammers promising to sell or rent my timeshares, every one of them took my money then disappeared. Now, a big business were created to advise timeshare owners a "legal" way to disown the unit by relinquish ownership, therefore, the maintenance fee is forever discharged. To do it, I was asked to hand over $8000 U.S. for the unit I owned, because it's Manhattan Club, it's in NYC, its high maintenance fee... blah, blah, blah. I don't know where to find the dole for it.

To hand my unit back is the only way I can afford, but TMC is frozen now because the NYAG is sitting on their case! Are they going to take my real home away When come one day, soon, I can't pay, I can't stay, and I have no way out of this dream turned nightmare. I will be buried from the debt I never intended to create. Someone read this. PLEASE HELP!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2016

As like so many others, around 2001, we bought into the high pressure pitch that we could purchase timeshare as investment for about $24K and for maintenance fee of $1,200 (they said was less than cost of average hotel room in NYC) we could belong to the Manhattan Club. This provided up to seven days at club at no charge, and additional days at $100 per day, plus many other VIP amenities. Plus, in time, since we owned the "investment", we could recoup our initial "investment" at a profit since real estate in NYC historically increases. We took the bait.

All seemed well at first, but after few years (4) we found it was difficult to place reservations. When tried to sell back, we were told they would only give $10,000 for the $21,000 and we needed more time to allow the market value to improve. We decide to stick it out a bit longer. This was a big mistake. As years progressed, almost impossible to get reservations and the maintenance fee was rising exponentially. After about ten years, we decided this was a mistake (they were still actively marketing new sales and asking for referrals) and approached MC to accept their buyout offer.

They said no longer buying back shares, but would accept if we turned it back to them at no compensation. At a $21K plus 14 year maintenance fee (approx.another $20k) for minimum usage and availability, we started to realize what a real scam this was! Especially when I tried to make reservation when I needed to get to NYC, and got the same old line, booked solid, no rooms available. I later called in as though not a member and found out could get a unit for $140 per night. When I explained that I was a member, the response was that these units were blocked off by the owners of Manhattan Club for outside renters only.

This is when we realized that our outrageous maintenance fee (up to $2,703.56 as of 11/2015) was maintaining the building so the owners could rent it out to others. This extortion has got to stop. The Manhattan Club response now is that since there is an investigation by the Attorney General of NY, they are in lock down, and cannot transfer any properties and we have to continue to pay the maintenance. SCAM! SCAM! SCAM! I cannot believe this gross injustice can go on in the USA. New York should be ashamed for letting this go on for so long!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2016

Well, here we are joining the ranks of those lied to by the sales people at The Manhattan Club! In December 2008, we purchased our timeshare for $37,924 Gold Flex (3 nights at TMC and 4 anywhere through RCI, plus points). When we asked about the procedure, should we want to sell our property, we were told that TMC required "first dibs" on buying it back from us. We had to call them first before attempting to sell it. We were 65 and not sure how long we would want to make an annual trek to NYC so this was reassuring. Two years ago my husband called to make arrangements for this to happen and was told "Oh, we don't buy back properties".

We are 72 now, we don't travel as much as we used to and the annual maintenance fees and taxes are out of sight! We just paid $2703.56 for 2016. The only reason I gave TMC two stars was because we were able to make reservations...by living in NC we could book one year in advance...as long as the fees were paid. We were consistently displeased with the wear and tear in the rooms i.e. stained carpets/ furniture, mold in the showers, rips in the wallpaper and frayed upholstery. Like other owners, we're asking "What did they do with our maintenance money"... We all know it didn't go to repair the crummy elevators!! We can't refuse to pay the annual charges without impunity so we are stuck in maintenance fee hell!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2016

We purchased our one week every other year in 2008 and paid for it in cash. When we tried to book and could not get the time we wanted, we decided to return it the next year. But instead of buying it back from us, the salesperson sold us another week and set it up that we did not have to pay anymore but set up a mortgage for the additional week of timeshare. With the exorbitant fees and the difficulty in getting the schedule that we want, more than ever, we want to get rid of it, but we face all blank walls. We were duped! Isn't there anything we can do about it?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015 My husband & I are like almost everyone who has written regarding their Manhattan Club timeshare. We've had it for about 8 yrs & never able to use it. We were assured that if we didn't want it anymore they would sell it or buy it from us... Now they say that was never an option!!! We have never been able to get a reservation & as one owner said, it's cheaper & easier to get a room in a hotel for the weekend. The fees are OUT OF CONTROL!!! I want out & cannot get out.

Please help!!! I was also scammed by ITE into paying for them to sell it & never heard from them again nor can reach a human by phone.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2015

I have had the Manhattan club since 2004. I have a split week broken up throughout two years for a studio. I am extremely unhappy with the increased maintenance fees!! I could just rent a room in the city for $150 a night and the dues at the Manhattan Club have increased to $2800! This is insane! What do I get for it? I can't even get a reservation. I WANT to sell it! I have tried to sell this timeshare and got scammed. Nobody wants to buy a split week, especially for the amount of money. There is now no timeshare department or anyone to speak with. What do I do? I am so displeased with this company and need to find a way to sell it. Someone please help!! What do I do? I don't want to keep this timeshare any longer or ruin my excellent credit.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2015

We purchased our first week at The Manhattan Club around 1997 when it was just opened. We had been staying at Park Central during Thanksgiving week, when we were approached by a salesman in the lobby who told us about this new Timeshare that was opening and how it would be a great deal for us since we came back to the City to stay every Thanksgiving. We took the tour and listened as the salesman told us the benefits of purchasing a unit there, he told us it would be ours forever, it could be left to our kids, we would always be able to get Thanksgiving week, it would go up in value and the maintenance fees would be less than the price of staying at a hotel in the City. We fell for his story and purchased our unit and paid in full for it in cash.

The first few years were as promised, the fees were reasonable, so we decide to purchase 2 more weeks. We were able to get our Thanksgiving week and it was great for a few years but then the fees started jumping up and we were told that Thanksgiving was not available for us, as it all of a sudden became a red week, but we were told if we paid more to upgrade that week would always be available to us, even though when we purchased it, that was the week we had purchased it and we were told it would be available if we booked 9 months ahead.

Then it became we couldn't get any week except the one we paid more for New Year's eve. It went downhill from there: ridiculous maintenance fees for more than what a hotel would cost, not getting to book a week even after paying fees early. I contacted TMC many times about the issues and never could get a straight answer and now they are being investigated so I hope this brings some resolution to myself and all the other owners who are facing the same issue. I have spent so much money between buying the 3 weeks and all the fees I have paid since 1998 that I could have put a large down payment on a studio apartment in NYC and still made out better financially. Lesson learned "STAY AWAY FROM TIMESHARES!"

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

Like most people, we are at our wits end with Manhattan Club. My wife and I bought in 2004, which makes us close to one of the original owners. We even paid for a plan with a split week so we can break up our days, the only limitation is that we can only use one Saturday. In other words, we could use 6 Fridays and 1 Saturday if we wanted.

I met my wife when I had an apartment on 55th between Broadway and 7th at what is now the Dream Hotel. In the old days, they were monthly apartment rentals. So for me this was amazing in the beginning. Once a year I could, for almost NO money, take my wife and kids to NYC. We could spend a week in my "old neighborhood" and enjoy Broadway shows, fine dining, and all the wonderful things NYC has to offer. The pitch they told us is that our maintenance fees would never be more than renting a hotel for the week. Our first year was at $500, and then it slowly jumped to $750.00. Eight years or so, all hell broke loose. For a while, the maintenance almost doubled a year. Then it started with the jumping 25%, now it's almost $3,000 a year.

There is no more value on this place and you can never get a reservation unless you book it (and pay for it) a YEAR in advance. We can't sell it because it's only worth $1 (mine cost me an almost $30,000 buy in), and you can't rent it because the organization rents the units online to websites like Travelocity for less than you pay in maintenance fees. This place has a great trading power. We learned you can spend two weeks in Europe with the points, but this place is badly managed. It typifies greed. It's too bad because this place could have been paradise. I've paid a year in advance for the last three years, but I still can't get a decent room once I check in.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

We have been an owner for 4 yrs and have always gotten our day. Great staff and loving. Going back the maintenance fees are crazy for.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2015

I like many other am at the end of my rope with the increase in maintenance fees. I purchased in 2006. I can't remember what my fees were (maybe about $1200) but I have questioned the increase every year when I make the payment and I'm told it's a percentage increase that was approved in the annual meeting. I'm up to approx $2200. I can't afford to keep paying this every year to stay here for 1week after paying $30k for the 1bedroom. If there is someone that can help us with this - please do... This can't be legal. I was told it's a deeded property and my children can inherit it. But the reality is, I'm leaving them an expensive yearly bill that they can't afford for something that's been paid for. That's a true scam right there.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

For the past 6 months, since my health and financial circumstances have gravely deteriorated, I have been renegotiating my contracts and mortgages with the various timeshares I bought. Each one was very willing to negotiate, reduce my remaining balances to $0 while letting me retain the weeks or points I had paid for, only charging me maintenance fees for those weeks or points used at their resort.

But the Manhattan Club refused to even answer my many calls, letters and Emails to them. And only when I put a stop order on any further mortgage payments did they finally contact me with the same story - they could not treat any members differently, regardless of their personal financial or health difficulties. Plus the new argument that since they are under investigation by the Attorney General of NYS. That could not do anything contrary to the AG's requirements to not buy or sell any timeshares until the issue of the MC owner's not making units available to deeded timeshare weeks by selling those weeks on the open retail market at or below the daily cost to owners of maintenance and taxes was resolved.

In addition, they have started reporting my missed payments to my otherwise impeccable credit rating companies, lowering my rates from high 600s to the mid 550s, making it impossible for me to get a conventional loan to pay off these mortgages with interest rates of 11 and 15% each. Thus, after putting some $50,000 in mortgage payments over past 3-5 years, I have only paid down a total of $5,000 in principal given the exorbitant interest rates and amortization schemes that pays only interest for the first half of the loan term. So I am in a position that if the MC NYC continues to refuse to renegotiate my mortgages or combine my two contracts into one, I will soon be broke, have to declare bankruptcy and go from living independently on my social security and limited income as a part-time self-employed medical consultant.

I have now forward my letter to the AG's office that is investigating the MC, asking if there is anything that they can help a 69 y.o. 35 year survivor of HIV and AIDS in this situation and am awaiting some feedback from them. But the heartlessness and refusal to negotiate on the part of the MCNYC's management and owner is amazing given the many tens of thousands I have given them over the past 5 years and their constantly repeating that they just want to treat all their owners equally. And now that it is the NYS AG that is preventing them from letting me give back these units to them, when it is their voracious greed and trying to milk every penny out of the Park Central Hotel building that is really at the root of this problem.

So now I am looking for a reputable lawyer specializing in combating this type of misrepresentation and pressure sales to people, while lying about their financial ability to enter into these contracts that are designed to keep them forever in the debt of the MC NYC. If anyone one on this list knows of such a lawyer or a class action suit that I can join to get out of this situation, I would greatly appreciate your letting me know.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2015

My parents paid cash for their Time share. Have had it for a number of years. Their increase in maintenance fees is ridiculous. Every time they want to book a time to stay they say "it is not available". Forget about booking around Labour Day. They are holding them to rent out.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2015

I am seeking information on the Class Action lawsuit. I too feel swindled by the package we purchase and would like to participant in any way possible.

Original review: July 31, 2015

Like others, this is an extreme rip off. Bought mine in 2002, fee was under $700, now fees over $2800. 18 months ago, walked into the reservations office at 0900 (opening time) to book days/my week starting exactly 9 months from that day, and guess what? TMC was all booked. I was told there was a waiting list to give the unit back for a price of $3500, but TMC wasn't taking any back and would call me when they resumed. Of course no call ever came. Please include me in the class action suit!

Original review: July 8, 2015

I received an inquiry from NY Attorney General's Office a few months ago regarding TMC in NYC. There has been no follow up. The allegations against the facility are consistent. Taxes increase at a high rate. Reservations are very difficult. Resale of the timeshare unit is not possible. Ownership and Management really couldn't care less. I suggested that they buy back out of state ownerships so that they might resolve the issue within the State of NY. Management simply laughed at the suggestion. The units were oversold from the start and they never intended to remarket or buy back units when owners wanted out. The facility should be shut down and sold. Return of capital to all that have vested interests. This appears to be a Ponzi scheme and no one in Public Service is doing anything about it. Don't walk away, run - as fast as you can.

Original review: June 17, 2015

For one of my weeks at The Manhattan Club timeshare, my maintenance fees and municipal taxes now approach or exceed $2,900. When I purchased about 8-10 years ago the fees were less than $1,000. The current fees approach a rise of nearly 200%. HOW RIDICULOUS IS THAT??? I can't even currently afford to stay in my timeshare. This is so outrageous that the NEW YORK STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL, ERIC SCHNEIDERMAN, HAS TAKEN THE MANHATTAN CLUB TO COURT FOR SALES FRAUD AND MAINTENANCE FEE ISSUES.

Original review: June 16, 2015

My husband and I purchased a one bedroom suite at The Manhattan Club January 2010. I have had nothing but problems since our purchase. I contacted management on too many occasions to mention about never being able to make a reservation when we actual want to stay. We have tried 9 months out to even putting our request on waitlist and we still can never get a reservation. I can't tell how many days we have lost. I have contacted the sales department about selling the unit back and I was told that they do not do this, but if I sold the unit on my own TMC would have first right of refusal and buying it back if it was a price they wanted to pay. We paid over $16,000.00 for the one bedroom unit and the maintenance fees are over $2400.00 and we can't even get a reservation there.

Last year my husband passed away of cancer and obviously we could not travel to NYC. I called and spoke to ** in reservations she said TMC had a program and TMC would keep my days and exchange for a week with RCI. I should have paid attention more closely, as it is an extra week and you can't book it anywhere. I spoke to **, but that's falling on deaf ears. This is extortion and there should be a class action lawsuit for all owners. If anyone has any information on lawsuits against the Manhattan Club, kindly let me know.

Original review: May 19, 2015

Brought a timeshare, which I never get to use be I believe they are reselling weeks, it is always booked and I have to book months in advance and I still don't get a full week - they only have days. Never buy a timeshare.

Original review: May 5, 2015

We've had our property since 2001. Initially, the maintenance was reasonable at $573/yr. My latest bill for 2015 is $2,226! This is the worst investment EVER! I've been trying to sell it back to him for the last 5 years! And now I learned that they cannot buy or sell any units because of the AG has frozen all real estate transactions because they are being investigated!!! The is good for the potential suckers they would've swindled but hurts all current owners. We are all now stuck with the hefty annual maintenance fee! And of course, I told them I am not going to pay it because it's outright extortion. Their financial person - who I am sure has to say the same thing all owners - said they would just charge 16% interest penalty and it will keep on accumulating and eventually damage my credit history. What a scam! Does anyone have any advice on how we can stop this before we're paying $10K a year for the maintenance fees??!!!

Original review: April 7, 2015 I just received the 2016 budget for the Timeshare Owners at the Manhattan Club. The fees have been rising over the years exponentially. In 2005 when I purchased to unit, the fees were $899.00. They are increasing to $2518.21 for 2016. This does not include property taxes of $421.84. Total cost $2940.05/year.

I have made two inquiries regarding the inability to continue to pay these fees and options available. No response has been received.

Original review: March 14, 2015

When we bought here we were told we could get it anytime and we would be able to sell it for at least a 1/2 to 3/4 million. My husband who was going through Prostate Cancer treatments wanted to leave our Children something to remember him by! Some place they could go! I sat there and cried begging him not to buy it but the salesman pulled me aside and talked to me about how badly he wanted it so I signed the papers. So now he is dead and I can't afford it! Also it has Black Mold on the bathrooms and I am very allergic to it! I asked if they would buy it back but they said they can't even though we were told they would! This is the biggest nightmare! Contacted States attorneys office! Looking for anybody in a class action! Please let me know! There is so much more they said we could get! Now you have to pay for extra coffee for your room! What are they doing with our Dues! The owner is having a good time with it and I see jail time for him!

The Manhattan Club Company Information