2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

The Manhattan Club Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Manhattan Club?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Manhattan Club?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2016

The Manhattan Club is a scam and a Class Action will prove it! Purchased in 2002. Over the years we've had trouble booking. For an extra fee, we Used RCI so we wouldn't lose the weeks. The Maintenance fee went from $783 a year to $2400. I told them I don't want it anymore and they can have it. They said I can't do that. I was told If I don't pay the fee this year, it will go into foreclosure and hurt my credit rating. What kind of crap is this???

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

My husband & I have owned at the Manhattan Club for over 10 years. Having read many of the letters already written at this site, I find that most of us have nearly the same experiences and frustrations dealing with this company. We too bought the plan where we could split our week & visit NY multiple times during the year with only one Saturday. We couldn't always get in when we wanted, but at first it wasn't too much of a problem. There were no additional fees to book a room and we could call & check for an opening anytime. We could also cancel up to 3 days in advance of a stay without a penalty.

About 3 years ago, the MC made an appointment with us which they said was mandatory for all owners. Since we were having increasing frustration over lack of availability at the MC, inability to trade for where we would like to vacation, & enormous maintenance fee increases, we kept the appointment, hoping to discuss selling our timeshare. A representative actually met with us in our home and began discussing going to the points program for an additional $5000. He had all the right reasons why it would be a better plan for us. AND WE BELIEVED HIM. Now however, we find that we are charged a fee for almost every transaction we make. We cannot sell without taking a huge loss. The yearly maintenance fees are exorbitant. We still cannot get in when we request 11 months in advance.

There is a fee for letting someone else use it (for instance, a night in the city as a gift). There is a charge should you cancel after 24 hours of making reservations. And now, to top it off, last night I tried to book for a certain 4 nights in October 2017. We not only couldn't get those 4 nights, we had to settle for 4 others & now are charged a fee for breaking up our week. We invested in the MC in good faith, and now feel totally taken advantage of. Not a good feeling. Wish we could go back & erase any interactions we've had with this company. On some level, what they are doing has to be at least bordering on illegal, and at the very least immoral.

Original review: April 20, 2016

I read the complaint written by the 80+ year old TMC member. It created great fear in me. I bought my unit over 20 years ago. At then I was a middle-aged professional who saved enough to pay cash for a part of my retirement dream - to have some space in NYC for fun, by buying a unit of Manhattan Club at affordable annual expense. As I had reached retirement age now, the maintenance fee quadrupled, the irritation in getting the service I paid for increased 1000%, and my capital investment had gone to zero; I now realized that it's very possible. I will be in debt and being evicted from my real retirement home. Here is why... I'm on social security with a tiny pension and very small chunk of savings, and I had extreme difficult time to squeeze out my 2200 plus a year maintenance fee from my fixed income.

Couple years ago, I fail to pay my fees on time. A week later I was put on collection. The phones rang off the hook. I was threatened with tarnished credit report. When I managed to borrow and paid off the debt, I had paid twice the amount I owed. All happened in one month. Three times in the past 7-8 years, I tried several venues to get out the unit I owned. I lost additional couple thousand of dollars to the scammers promising to sell or rent my timeshares, every one of them took my money then disappeared. Now, a big business were created to advise timeshare owners a "legal" way to disown the unit by relinquish ownership, therefore, the maintenance fee is forever discharged. To do it, I was asked to hand over $8000 U.S. for the unit I owned, because it's Manhattan Club, it's in NYC, its high maintenance fee... blah, blah, blah. I don't know where to find the dole for it.

To hand my unit back is the only way I can afford, but TMC is frozen now because the NYAG is sitting on their case! Are they going to take my real home away When come one day, soon, I can't pay, I can't stay, and I have no way out of this dream turned nightmare. I will be buried from the debt I never intended to create. Someone read this. PLEASE HELP!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2016

As like so many others, around 2001, we bought into the high pressure pitch that we could purchase timeshare as investment for about $24K and for maintenance fee of $1,200 (they said was less than cost of average hotel room in NYC) we could belong to the Manhattan Club. This provided up to seven days at club at no charge, and additional days at $100 per day, plus many other VIP amenities. Plus, in time, since we owned the "investment", we could recoup our initial "investment" at a profit since real estate in NYC historically increases. We took the bait.

All seemed well at first, but after few years (4) we found it was difficult to place reservations. When tried to sell back, we were told they would only give $10,000 for the $21,000 and we needed more time to allow the market value to improve. We decide to stick it out a bit longer. This was a big mistake. As years progressed, almost impossible to get reservations and the maintenance fee was rising exponentially. After about ten years, we decided this was a mistake (they were still actively marketing new sales and asking for referrals) and approached MC to accept their buyout offer.

They said no longer buying back shares, but would accept if we turned it back to them at no compensation. At a $21K plus 14 year maintenance fee (approx.another $20k) for minimum usage and availability, we started to realize what a real scam this was! Especially when I tried to make reservation when I needed to get to NYC, and got the same old line, booked solid, no rooms available. I later called in as though not a member and found out could get a unit for $140 per night. When I explained that I was a member, the response was that these units were blocked off by the owners of Manhattan Club for outside renters only.

This is when we realized that our outrageous maintenance fee (up to $2,703.56 as of 11/2015) was maintaining the building so the owners could rent it out to others. This extortion has got to stop. The Manhattan Club response now is that since there is an investigation by the Attorney General of NY, they are in lock down, and cannot transfer any properties and we have to continue to pay the maintenance. SCAM! SCAM! SCAM! I cannot believe this gross injustice can go on in the USA. New York should be ashamed for letting this go on for so long!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2016

Well, here we are joining the ranks of those lied to by the sales people at The Manhattan Club! In December 2008, we purchased our timeshare for $37,924 Gold Flex (3 nights at TMC and 4 anywhere through RCI, plus points). When we asked about the procedure, should we want to sell our property, we were told that TMC required "first dibs" on buying it back from us. We had to call them first before attempting to sell it. We were 65 and not sure how long we would want to make an annual trek to NYC so this was reassuring. Two years ago my husband called to make arrangements for this to happen and was told "Oh, we don't buy back properties".

We are 72 now, we don't travel as much as we used to and the annual maintenance fees and taxes are out of sight! We just paid $2703.56 for 2016. The only reason I gave TMC two stars was because we were able to make reservations...by living in NC we could book one year in advance...as long as the fees were paid. We were consistently displeased with the wear and tear in the rooms i.e. stained carpets/ furniture, mold in the showers, rips in the wallpaper and frayed upholstery. Like other owners, we're asking "What did they do with our maintenance money"... We all know it didn't go to repair the crummy elevators!! We can't refuse to pay the annual charges without impunity so we are stuck in maintenance fee hell!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2016

We purchased our one week every other year in 2008 and paid for it in cash. When we tried to book and could not get the time we wanted, we decided to return it the next year. But instead of buying it back from us, the salesperson sold us another week and set it up that we did not have to pay anymore but set up a mortgage for the additional week of timeshare. With the exorbitant fees and the difficulty in getting the schedule that we want, more than ever, we want to get rid of it, but we face all blank walls. We were duped! Isn't there anything we can do about it?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015

My husband & I are like almost everyone who has written regarding their Manhattan Club timeshare. We've had it for about 8 yrs & never able to use it. We were assured that if we didn't want it anymore they would sell it or buy it from us... Now they say that was never an option!!! We have never been able to get a reservation & as one owner said, it's cheaper & easier to get a room in a hotel for the weekend. The fees are OUT OF CONTROL!!! I want out & cannot get out.

Please help!!! I was also scammed by ITE into paying for them to sell it & never heard from them again nor can reach a human by phone.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2015

I have had the Manhattan club since 2004. I have a split week broken up throughout two years for a studio. I am extremely unhappy with the increased maintenance fees!! I could just rent a room in the city for $150 a night and the dues at the Manhattan Club have increased to $2800! This is insane! What do I get for it? I can't even get a reservation. I WANT to sell it! I have tried to sell this timeshare and got scammed. Nobody wants to buy a split week, especially for the amount of money. There is now no timeshare department or anyone to speak with. What do I do? I am so displeased with this company and need to find a way to sell it. Someone please help!! What do I do? I don't want to keep this timeshare any longer or ruin my excellent credit.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2015

We purchased our first week at The Manhattan Club around 1997 when it was just opened. We had been staying at Park Central during Thanksgiving week, when we were approached by a salesman in the lobby who told us about this new Timeshare that was opening and how it would be a great deal for us since we came back to the City to stay every Thanksgiving. We took the tour and listened as the salesman told us the benefits of purchasing a unit there, he told us it would be ours forever, it could be left to our kids, we would always be able to get Thanksgiving week, it would go up in value and the maintenance fees would be less than the price of staying at a hotel in the City. We fell for his story and purchased our unit and paid in full for it in cash.

The first few years were as promised, the fees were reasonable, so we decide to purchase 2 more weeks. We were able to get our Thanksgiving week and it was great for a few years but then the fees started jumping up and we were told that Thanksgiving was not available for us, as it all of a sudden became a red week, but we were told if we paid more to upgrade that week would always be available to us, even though when we purchased it, that was the week we had purchased it and we were told it would be available if we booked 9 months ahead.

Then it became we couldn't get any week except the one we paid more for New Year's eve. It went downhill from there: ridiculous maintenance fees for more than what a hotel would cost, not getting to book a week even after paying fees early. I contacted TMC many times about the issues and never could get a straight answer and now they are being investigated so I hope this brings some resolution to myself and all the other owners who are facing the same issue. I have spent so much money between buying the 3 weeks and all the fees I have paid since 1998 that I could have put a large down payment on a studio apartment in NYC and still made out better financially. Lesson learned "STAY AWAY FROM TIMESHARES!"

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

Like most people, we are at our wits end with Manhattan Club. My wife and I bought in 2004, which makes us close to one of the original owners. We even paid for a plan with a split week so we can break up our days, the only limitation is that we can only use one Saturday. In other words, we could use 6 Fridays and 1 Saturday if we wanted.

I met my wife when I had an apartment on 55th between Broadway and 7th at what is now the Dream Hotel. In the old days, they were monthly apartment rentals. So for me this was amazing in the beginning. Once a year I could, for almost NO money, take my wife and kids to NYC. We could spend a week in my "old neighborhood" and enjoy Broadway shows, fine dining, and all the wonderful things NYC has to offer. The pitch they told us is that our maintenance fees would never be more than renting a hotel for the week. Our first year was at $500, and then it slowly jumped to $750.00. Eight years or so, all hell broke loose. For a while, the maintenance almost doubled a year. Then it started with the jumping 25%, now it's almost $3,000 a year.

There is no more value on this place and you can never get a reservation unless you book it (and pay for it) a YEAR in advance. We can't sell it because it's only worth $1 (mine cost me an almost $30,000 buy in), and you can't rent it because the organization rents the units online to websites like Travelocity for less than you pay in maintenance fees. This place has a great trading power. We learned you can spend two weeks in Europe with the points, but this place is badly managed. It typifies greed. It's too bad because this place could have been paradise. I've paid a year in advance for the last three years, but I still can't get a decent room once I check in.

The Manhattan Club Company Information