2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Brazil

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.36/5

LATAM Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LATAM Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LATAM Airlines?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

We have had so many issues with this airline. We have been flying this airline for about 10 years and the past two years there has been great administrative changes and we have had horrible experiences trying to buy tickets to fly to Peru and Australia. Last year my husband made a group reservation to fly with a group of people to Peru and while we were on vacation in Thailand in March we found out that Latam had not issued the tickets that had been purchased and charged to our credit card for the trip to peru in June. He had to jump through hoops to get them to issue the tickets because we needed to get confirmation for the flights for everyone on the group trip.

Last December 2019 we purchased tickets to fly to Peru on New Year's vacation and we were not able to pay for the tickets online with our credit card. My husband tried every which way to pay for the tickets and was not able to. We had to call a family member in Peru so that they could purchase our tickets in Peru because their system would not take our payment. About a week later we tried to purchase tickets to fly to Australia together. My husband was not able to buy our tickets on the same order he had to buy his ticket separate from mine. Why? Because their system would not accept payment for both tickets online. This is outrageous!!! So, he had to buy both his ticket and my ticket separately.

Before we flew to Peru this past December, we checked to make sure everything was ok with the reservations to Australia and long and be hold, they issued my ticked but they did not issue his ticket even though they charged the credit card. So, this is where all the trouble started again with Latam. My husband started calling them asking them why they had not issued his ticket to Australia, they said they would in time, to keep checking back and gave us a case number.

While we were in Peru we went to a Latam center and they said that our case was not important, that they needed to focus on other cases that had flights sooner then ours to Australia. We kept calling and checking with them and we got to nothing. Then they said there was an issue with my husbands member number and told us to call another number to get a telephone code so we could get another case number. Then they said we needed to call their Brazil office to deal with the issue. We kept getting the run around and no answers!!!

We were in Peru for a month and all this time nothing was resolved with Latam. They eventually cancelled my husbands ticket to Australia and refunded the money without advising us. But now we are left with my ticket. So we are trying to cancel my ticket to Australia but we get nowhere with this company. Same excuses!!! They send us from here to there with no solution and I'm so sick and tired of this lack of professionalism and waste of our valuable time!!! They gave us a case number for this ticket and now a week away from when our flight was, we still have no resolution to this chaos!!!

I do not recommend this airline at all anymore!!! Take your money elsewhere. Don't waste your valuable time. While we were trying to resolve this issue in the Lima office there was another lady there with the same issue. for no reason Latam cancelled her husbands ticket to Peru. I have looked on their Facebook page and so many people are complaining about this airline not refunding their money!! They need to get their act straight. This is fraud!! I have complained on their Facebook page and advised them that I will go to the proper authorities in Peru if this is not resolved and our money and miles returned without charges.

Consumers need to be aware of what this company is doing!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

This company is a joke. I was traveling with a group of 6 people (all U.S. Citizens). We had confirmed tickets from Lima to Cusco round trip. We arrived early at the airport just to make sure we have time in case we encounter any problems as we are in a foreign country. We preferred to take precautions just in case. Once we arrived at the counter to process our check in they told us our seats had been sold and that we had to wait for the next flight. We were very upset as we had not been notified at all of any changes regardless of the reason. They offered us a credit with the airline of $40 or a cash voucher of $20. We really didn't want either as it was cutting short our much awaited vacation which we had look forward to enjoy for a year and now we are being literally FORCED to cut it short for $20 in exchange. Really....

Anyway, since they did not give us another option no matter how many times we said no, we took the $20 cash voucher. Here comes the worst part.... they told us that we could go to any LATAM agency and that they would exchange the voucher for cash, as the counter at the airport was not authorized to do that. (First lie) So, we went to the LATAM office in Cusco and they told us that on in Lima could be done (Second lie). Upon our return to Lima we went to the LATAM agency in Chacarilla, but they told us that they couldn't do it and that we had to go to a different agency in Miraflores (Third lie). We then proceeded to go to the agency in Miraflores on our last day before our departure back to the U.S. and they proceeded to tell us that they couldn't process the request as it had to be done over the phone (Fourth lie).

It has been 5 months since that day and in the interim we have been communicating with their "Customer Service" department. We have been changed at least 7 times of representative and every time they ask us for passports, copies of IDs, notarized letters to approve disbursement of funds for our children voucher credit, more questions and more emails. Once we thought we finally were done, and we would finally get our credit they said they needed an account in Soles, which is the Peruvian currency. Now, why in hell would they give a voucher that specifically reads $20 (DOLLARS) if when you redeem it you need an account in a different currency!!!

Anyway, I was able to contact a friend in Peru that was willing to provide me with her account information for the deposit to be done in her account for her then to transfer the funds. LATAM then said that needed another letter approving such transaction. We did. We sent them once again what they requested. This was followed by a response saying that only 5 vouchers will be credited. The other one was missing a voucher number. That was 45 days ago and we still haven't received any credit.

I then received an automatic email saying that if I wanted to receive the funds I had to complete their forms again because they voucher was going to expire. Then I email them again asking where my "approved credit" was and they ignored my question by saying please provide copy of passport, ID, notarized letter, etc etc etc etc etc. This is beyond ridiculous and a joke of customer service. I don't do all this for $20. It is a matter of principle. I will forever discredit this company. I will hire a lawyer to help me make this right. This is abuse.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

On October 12, 2019 I flew on flight 2462 from Lima-Peru to Miami, my business ticket # is **, just in case Latam is interested in investigating what happened, something that I doubt based on the bad service that I received. The seat where I sat didn't have the monitor working. I complained with the supervisor of the area and she told me that she was going to get another seat for me. According to her, some employees/pilots were flying in business and she was going to ask them to swap our seats. They didn't agree on doing so and I had to travel without a working entertainment system. These employees don't care about the fact that I had pay a higher price to get a ticket in business.

I should point out that the folding table used to serve meals in one of the seats closed to me got loose and the supervisor had to tight it. It looks like these seats are not given the proper maintenance. Another surprise to me is that when I tried to get my boarding pass in my cell phone when traveling with Latam from Miami to Lima, Peru, it was said that I couldn't do that because Latam don't participate with the TSA program in the USA, so I had to show a printed boarding pass.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

On June,19, 2019, my brother traveled with Latam Airlines, he did the check in of his luggage with no problem, but at his destination his luggage was completely ruined, because customer service wasn't available at the Airport he was unable to report but took pictures of the damage. A claimed was filed with insurance which it was denied, and by advice to contact the airline, which it was done with no success.

After explaining the situation of what happen, supervisor at Latam said they only accept claim within 5 days of the issue. I would not have to file a claim with them if the insurance wasn't in place but insurance is denying reimbursement, and the airline is denying responsibility. In the meantime the damage is my loss. I do NOT recommend this airline because they hold records of the travels and baggage descriptions, and they know there was no damage to the baggage when they first transported, but is not being honest about taking responsibility about the damage they caused.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I have not even got on my flight yet and I'm already upset with them! I booked my trip to Brazil back in May for a New Year's vacation in Copacabana beach. Since then, my flights have been changed without my consent at least 4x and eventually got cancelled all together via email!! Can you imagine?!!? After days of going back and forth with Expedia it was revealed that an employee at LATAM canceled my entire trip back in May by accident without notice to me until late September. I can't! I was able to get everything re booked and even though I was compensated the difference in prices, (which was extreme this late in the year) the times were all off and there was an extra lay over.

Now I wake up today to discover they have once again changed my departure time and I have an 8 hour layover in Miami.... I just want to go home people!!!! This is unacceptable and I am on the verge of cancelling my entire trip and just going to Vegas for NYE or something. Smh. Soooo disappointed and by the Yelp reviews, the actual flight may be terrible as well. Beware flyers!!!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

Booked 5 business class seats from Miami to Johannesburg and have a problem with the middle name on one ticket and after 8 weeks of being around in circles they have no solution and it looks like they will ruin our family vacation. They expect us to leave one person behind because of a middle name problem? Or spend $10,000 or more to correct it? Insane. So many many hours wasted in communication with them. The Spirit Airlines of international travel????

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I called Latam to change the departure date of my trip. I had to call because this service was not available online, strange BTW as I bought my ticket online at Latam.com. OK, so I changed the date, the agent charged 237 USD to my credit card and then I received the new ticket (displaying the new date). However, 1 hour later I got an email from LATAM completely out of the blue asking for some details about a claim I never initiated. Then, I received another email with the e-ticket but this time showing the initial date for my departure. So, I called them again and they told me that the agent made a mistake when she changed my ticket and that she had to go back to the initial date. So, I had to request again the change of date and then they charged me again saying that they will refund what I paid for the previous cancelled change within 24-48 hours.

After 4 days, the credit card charge is still there, no refund and when I called back Latam they told me that I have to provide the details that were requested in the email they sent me. Such details include credit card number, my ID number, amount, etc. Hello?? If they cancelled the change of date I requested, is that difficult to generate a refund? I believe the agent who did it, did not not know what she was doing. How can this agent cancel the change after my credit card was charged and then do not even call me to explain the situation? The funny thing, is that the first thing they ask you is about your phone number in case they need to call you back.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Talking about bad service, Sandra ** the supervisor very rude. She is very condescending when she talks to a customer. The worst service ever. We paid for the extra baggage online and she kept refusing to honor that. She is the worst. The attorney general will know about this. She should work in a farm with pigs and cows. I can’t believe she has a job dealing with people. This happen in Boston.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

A colleague, my daughter, and I were denied boarding for advance purchase tickets purchased in November, 2018, for flights from Lima to Cuzco in July 2019 after flying from California to Lima. We arrived at the airport 2 hours prior to the flight to check in. The airline states that check-in occurs between 48 hours and 75 minutes prior to flight departure. Apparently they overbooked the flight and allowed passengers to board based on the timing of when they checked in. In our case, our seats were given away even though we attempted to check in 120 minutes in advance.

The remaining 9 people with whom we were meeting for a group tour in Cuzco had to wait for us to arrive on a flight 4 hours later. We were offered a voucher for McDonald's (which we don't eat) and $20/ticket or a $40 voucher for future LATAM flight. We did not accept this and filed a complaint that day. Over 7 weeks later, we received an email stating that we could receive $20/ticket or a $40 Latam voucher. I've had to make numerous calls as I received no response via email and now have to submit additional documentation for my daughter to receive the $20. Be aware of LATAM and make sure that you check in 48 hours in advance or they could bump you!!

Original review: July 5, 2019

This is the WORST airline I have ever encountered! My flight yesterday got interrupted because of a medical emergency with a family member stateside and I got stranded in Miami trying to get back home. I was sad and stressed and traumatized, and these unhelpful customer service reps were telling me over and over again that they simply could do nothing because I couldn’t provide medical documentation. I was on the phone with them for an a hour and then in their office in Miami for an additional hour.

My loved one was currently IN the emergency room, and I didn’t know the hospital. Even if I DID, should THIS be what I’m thinking about in an emergency? Their stupid policies??? I booked on them through Travelocity, so hopefully they can help me. But I am writing to CEOs of both LATAM and American Airlines (this partnership hurts the other carrier and makes them look bad), and reporting to anyone and everyone I can. DO NOT GIVE THESE CRIMINALS YOUR MONEY!!!

LATAM Airlines Company Information