1.28/5
Based on 76 reviews that contain star ratings

Brazil

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

86 TAM Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

On June 7th, 2018 I called the LATAM Customer service about my baggage allowance for a Flight to Bucaramanga, Colombia. I was told by the LATAM customer service representative that I was allowed 2 bags under 23kg, I mentioned that I was playing a Golf Tournament in Bucaramanga and I was going to take a luggage bag under 23kg and a golf bag under 23kg, the LATAM Customer representative confirmed that it was allowed.

So, I got a huge surprise at Check-In in Miami when I was FORCED to pay $100 for the Golf Bag for being a sporting equipment bag, this is ridiculous since that it is not the case in other airlines and I bought the airline ticket under false pretense!!! On my return flight from Bucaramanga, I got a bigger surprise, when I was charged a HIGHER fee this time, $119.27. WHY? Why do you have this thievery and discrepancies? This is wrong, that I bought an airline ticket under false pretenses!! Also, the food service was awful, the plane was dirty and it looked like it was poorly maintained. My seat on the return flight was lost, seat 13L. They only provide entertainment via an application and the seats have NO charge connections for the IPAD or Phone!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

In the past 6 days trying to add my 10 months daughter on my flight and until now I couldn’t get it done. I called LATAM, TAM and a couple of other phones that they passed me and none could finish it. More than the half of the calls took more than 40 min. And none could solve it... Sometimes disconnected the call and never returned back, etc. I’m really unhappy with LATAM services... It is an absurd not get it done easy online or have a direct line with someone responsible to do it... If LATAM ever care about it I would appreciate your return call and finish this ordeal.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Just today August 1, my aunt was coming to US from Brazil and could not make because the company simply hadn’t a manager to sign a paper in order to make the necessary change in order to allow her to travel. After 54 min on the line the attendant at Latam airport in Vitória (ES) Brazil could not get any help from the company she works for. Very often people find themselves in a terrible and inconvenient trouble because of a company that is not prepared to help their customer. SHAME ON YOU LATAM. A horrible company with hundreds of mistakes every day.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Had an big issue when my children were traveling alone for the first time. LATAM`s customer services department was amazing. They stayed with me till my children were safe and sound. Supervisor Merciana from Brazil was just amazing and did everything in her power to assure my children`s safety. Thank you to all of you who helped.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Here is a copy of my complaint so you can see for yourselves! Formal complaint to LATAM airlines. From passenger Venetia ** - Witty Ticket # **. Regarding Return Flights LA 8018 and LA 3206, June 30th, 2018. This flight left from Salvador Bahia, Brazil at 6.40 am as scheduled and arrived in Sao Paulo at approximately 9.15 am local time. We were scheduled to leave from Sao Paulo, Brazil at 13.30 after a layover of several hours and should have arrived in EZE at 16.34.

Sao Paulo is where all the problems began. When we were due to board the flight at 13.30 we were informed that our flight had not left EZE and we were to leave on another flight at 18.00 hours. At this time the passengers were not informed why or that the delays were caused by the fog at both airports in Buenos Aires, but LATAM knew of these conditions. LATAM decided to fly to EZE anyway and of course they were unable to land in the fog, so we were diverted to Montevideo in Uruguay where the fog was not quite so bad.

The passengers were given no information when we landed in Montevideo and we tried to find out what was happening from the flight attendants during the more than three hours that we sat on that plane in the airport. Many passengers were seniors and young children and other passengers had missed connecting flights to other places as well and because of bad planning by LATAM. We had all already experienced many delays of long hours up to this point as well.

Passengers began to complain when we heard that LATAM was thinking of returning to Sao Paulo GUARULHOS airport, which they should never have left in the first place due to the fog they already knew about in Buenos Aires, because the passengers wanted to stay the night in Montevideo. During our 3 hours on the plane LATAM only offered sandwiches or deserts and sweets. Because I was placed in the very back row, seat#29D, by the time the food cart arrived there were no sandwiches left. I am a diabetic and need regular meals without sugar and they had only cakes and sweets!! I had not eaten for more than 8 hours because of the delays. I was weak and lightheaded. Fortunately, I had extra medication with me, otherwise I would have become really sick.

Finally, we were told that we could get off the plane and get our luggage and then we would be taken to a hotel for the night until we could fly to Buenos Aires EZE the next day. Many of the passengers waited an hour at the luggage carousel and our bags never arrived! When we asked what happened we were told that the bags were waiting for us at EZE in Buenos Aires (43 bags in total). We had to go to the hotel with nothing but the clothes we were wearing. There were long lines to get buses and taxis to the hotel and it was cold and foggy, so many of the old people, young children and people with medical conditions were not doing well. By the time we got to our hotel it was 1.45 am and we had started our travels the previous day from our hotel in Salvador at 4 am! We were all exhausted. The Hilton Garden hotel took good care of us and sent food and water to the room where we finally got some sleep.

At 12 noon on Sunday, they called us from the front desk of the hotel to inform us that buses would take us to the airport at 2.30 pm, but without assurance that we would be able to board or when. Really one uncertainty after another. An employee of LATAM assured us that the flight that would return to EZE was the same LA 8018, with the same crew and in the same plane of the previous day, where she said, our bags were waiting. The bags had never been unloaded from the plane in Sao Paulo!! How could the airline have never checked that all 43 bags had never been unloaded from the plane in Sao Paulo??

This just keeps getting worse. The plane we eventually boarded to return to EZE turned out to be another one of a smaller inferior airline TAM, and with another flight number LA 9458 and it was now July 1st. and many passengers had missed connections, meetings etc. We finally arrived in EZE at approximately 8.30 pm and were excited to get out lost luggage. After another hour of waiting at the luggage - imagine our distress when it still did not arrive!! We all filed lost luggage complaints at the counter and the agent went to find out where the bags were. When the LATAM representative returned he informed us that the bags were on another flight and would arrive at 9.30 pm at EZE. Well they did not! By this time all the passengers were exhausted and distressed from the last 48 hours of endless problems and we asked again about the bags.

Here is the kicker: The bags had been sent to Aeroparque and we had to get on another bus to go there and pick them up!! By this time it was about 10 pm and we had to wait for a LATAM bus to take us to Aeroparque. By the time we got to Aeroparque and finally got our luggage it was after 11 pm and there were long lines for transport. I was not able to get the Tienda Leon until 12 midnight or a remise until 12.30 am in the morning! I broke down and cried right there - I was weak and dizzy and I had had enough!! I finally got home at 1 am July 2nd!! In addition to this, I have an 83 year old disabled roommate who was waiting up to let me in when I arrived at home at 1 am - already July 2nd and hours late for my diabetic medication!! It took me several days to recover from this ordeal.

In conclusion I request a timely response from LATAM airlines and adequate compensation for the damages caused by their disorganization, the lack of support by the company, the lack of managers to help at critical moments, bad decisions, and for the suitcases being left on the plane at Sao Paulo in the first place which caused all the following problems as outlined above. Most of the passengers, including myself, said it was the last time they traveled with LATAM! We all deserve support in compensation for the delays, confusion, bad decisions and problems with the luggage. I am prepared to copy this complaint to the appropriate Aviation Authorities and to the most important social media websites if I do not get a satisfactory response.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TAM Airlines?

Original review: July 5, 2018

Let's make it clear, each employee I spoke to over the course of 3 days, 20 hours on the phone 12+ representatives was courteous and in my opinion, most of them seemed sincere in their attempts to resolve my issue. I have had a LAN, now LATAM, frequent flier credit card for several years and finally have enough points and a need to obtain a ticket. I booked my reservation and tried to use my points. That's when all hell broke loose. They told me to contact a third party company, Multiplus to obtain a secret code. Everything Multiplus sent me via email, was in Portuguese ("Oh, sorry, we are having problems sending it in English") but nevertheless I worked my way through it and got the account sent up (30+ minutes) and received the top secret code.

To make a 20 hour story short, suddenly the code didn't work. Every time I called back I spoke to a different phone support person at LATAM (12+ total). I was told by one operator that we should get to the airport so that we don't miss the flight "The ticket will be issued soon, we have our top executive working on it with an assistant". We went to airport (girlfriend crying) and were turned down at the window counter, "We don't get involved with call center support". Missed flight, now it's 2 am Lima time and still on hold with call center (Don't worry, they answer phone by default every 2 minutes and let you know, in roughly 1.3 seconds). "Still working, be right back". I finally hung up on Aaron as I was sitting on hold for about 60 minutes with the normal "be right back" every 2 minutes when they are required to pick up their phone, before putting you back on hold.

Day 3: I called at 7:45 am. Each time, I have to explain this drama and problems all over again. That alone takes 7-12 minutes. They don't get that their previous colleague has already tried everything possible. So it seems, we are really waiting for them to fix some problem in their system, but I was not informed and can only guess while they promise "I will fix it for you, we will get you the tickets, only 2 more minutes please". By 2:30 pm on day 3, they finally had a ticket (also not without issues). I had to punch in my Multiplus password on 4 different times along with my account number. The line disconnected two times (the connection is better if you get THEM to call you back). Let's see how the flight goes now. Fingers crossed as the plane is about to take off. I will be switching to Avianca, and other US Airlines after this experience! Many choices are great for the planet!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have been dealing with them for a week now and all I get is lies. My issue is simple. I have points, and I would like to redeem them with an airline ticket. 4 days ago I was told I would be contacted in 48 hours and I am still waiting. I try to do it online and the web page doesn't work. I feel like this is a scam and fraudulent as I have NEVER been able to use my points. I do not believe them anymore and am getting worried about this situation. Their incoherence and lack of attention is almost to the point of illegal as I have been lied to numerous times and have not been able to use my benefits when I need to. Avoid at all costs as every employee I have dealt with has been beyond useless. I am probably going to have to pay for a ticket on my own even though I have enough with my own points. I have family that I must see and have no other choice. LANPASS, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

Alright, the 45 days for the refund are past, again! I am waiting for my refund since October last year! "It will take up to 45 days", I waited. Then I contacted them again, and again, and again "it's on the way". Then I've been asked to resend all my details again with the promise that I'll get my refund within 45 days again. I still have nothing! 500 dollars is a lot of money! Do you realise the impact it can have on some people's lives?!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I booked a flight with Lufthansa but my first connection was LATAM so I have done the online check in with them from GRU - GIG- FRA - DUB without any problem, however when I got to the counter next day, they tell me I could not check in to my final destination and I had compulsory to recheck in Frankfurt (my citizenship does require a visa to do this) before panicking I asked to speak with someone in Spanish or English and spoke with 4 other Brazilian LATAM team, they all said the same thing perhaps they didn’t understand me because none of them were fluent in Spanish or English. They wanted me to get in the plane but I said no (I had the boarding passes only to Frankfurt and had to pick up my luggage there).

So I decided to miss my flight to GIG because I completely sure that I could check in all the way to my final destination as I have done this route several times. Later on, I spoke with Lufthansa in English who fixed the issue in one minute! So my luggage got checked in to my final destination. And I flew in a different flight to GIG.

This experience just blew my mind, for a moment based on the response of the 4 LATAM team. I thought perhaps I made a mistake booking my flight. So I almost had heart attack because I knew if they were correct I would miss my flight and couldn’t afford to get a new one. All they said was “sorry, I don’t know what happened” in her broken Spanish. I just don’t understand why they don’t offer a service in the customer’s language? As many other airlines do. Why is it OK when they make a mistake but if a customer does it is not OK? I wasted 10 hours at the airport, time I could have used to meet my friends in Rio, but nothing but if I was late, I am sure I would have paid fees to change the flight or book a new one.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I booked a flight with several legs with LATAM which I thought would simplify my life rather than getting various one-ways/returns. Boy was I wrong! Due to our car being hit on the way to the airport and having to stop to deal with the issue I was delayed in getting to the airport. On the way I frantically tried to log in online and kept getting an error message. When I called the main customer service line I was faced with several unhelpful attendees who one would say they were from LAN and couldn't help me so transferred me, the next said they dealt with national inquiries so couldn't help me and transferred me, when I finally got to someone who seemed to be in the right department they said that due to the type of my ticket they could only do the check-in in person but that the check in closed 45 mins before the flight so I should get there in time.

I got there an 57 mins before the flight and was told the check-in was closed, and that it in fact closed an hour before the flight and there was nothing they could do. Despite the fact also I only had carry-on therefore would just need to get through security. They re-directed me to what I thought was a customer service help desk but in fact was a LATAM shop where the attendant informed me that due to me not checking in for that one flight the system had automatically CANCELLED ALL SUBSEQUENT FLIGHTS. That is to say that because I missed my flight from Sao Paulo > Bogota they cancelled my flights from Bogota > Medellin, Medellin > Cartagena, Cartagena > Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo > Buenos Aires!!!

Their explanation? It is an in person check in and if I'm not there they assume I am no longer taking the trip. Except of course I was there but they wouldn't let me check in. And to be honest, as far as I'm concerned I could have chosen to swim round the continent to Medellin but that gives them no right to cancel my subsequent flights which I have already paid for and therefore are my right! The real reason of course is that they want any excuse to be able to sell further seats. Anyway, as a result of this I was forced to spend the night at a hotel nearby and buy new flights (with a different airline this time of course) which cost me a total of £649. I have tried to contact LATAM customer service about this several times via their online form (which it seems they make purposely complex to fill out, they do not have a direct email) with no reply.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

The original reservation was for a LAN 1 am flight from Lima to Santiago; row 6. The flight got cancelled, the agent said it happens all the time. I was given seat 1C in a flight the next day. I am about to board the next flight, a new boarding pass is handed to me at the last minute with seat 32H. They said It was due to aircraft change. I asked for seat up front. The LAN agent just looked the other way. Avoid this airline if you can. There is no formality or any kind of accountability.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I had the most terrible experience with LATAM Airlines. I was booked on flight JJ8163 Johannesburg - Sao Paulo and flight LA8828 Sao Paulo - Lima on 26 May 2017. When we arrived in Lima flight LA8828 - my wife`s baggage arrived but not mine. I reported the incident to the Latam desk - just next to the baggage carousel at Lima airport. The official was very unapologetic and gave me a form with reference number on and a telephone number for further reference. I was attending a conference and did not have any clothing to wear so I had to shop for replacement clothing - all due to the excessive delay of over 4 days of my baggage. I have filed a formal request with LATAM on 5 June 2017 with a claim to be compensated for my expenses ie the clothing and other items as well as for the bag that I purchased due to the delay in my baggage.

I again emailed the complaint through 14 June 2017 with total silence again from LATAM. And still nothing has happened after 3 months regards the costs I incurred wrt clothing items I had to buy due to LATAM severe delay in baggage. A certain Erika ** || Agente Administrativo de Equipajes, LAN PER | LATAM AIRLINES GROUP | Aeropuerto Internacional Jorge **, Lima Peru || www.lan.com contacted me on 20 July 2017 to say that LATAM is going to compensate me with USD179 for the excessive delay in my luggage! This is not half of the costs I incurred. But it seems like it was just further evidence of LATAM's poor service because up to date nothing happened! This is totally unacceptable! I definitely would not make use of LATAM Airlines again and I will escalate this to the Social media to caution other travellers of making use of LATAM Airlines!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

A friend and I flew from the US to Lima, Peru. The same day we had a flight on LATAM airlines from Lima to Cusco. We made it through customs and baggage claim very timely. We walked over to check in for domestic flights. When we walked in there was gentleman working for the airport at the door and navigated us to a LATAM both directly in front of us. As we stood there we realized that line was for only one flight. We go to look at the sign and noticed our flight was checking it at the end of the ticketing section.

When we get down to the correct line, the line was extremely long and was not moving. So we go over to the electronic check in. We couldn't get the machine to work and we asked for one of the LATAM representatives to assist. Not ONE of them would take the time to assist us. So we sat there trying to figure it out. As soon as I got ready to hit complete to finish our check in, they closed the flight.

We tried to talk to one of the representatives standing there to assist but they told us to go to the line. Mind you at this point it is about 4:28 PM local time and our flight didn't leave until 5:35 PM local time which is clearly more than 45 minutes prior to the flight closing. We go to the main line but they refer us to the "Missed Flight" line. We stand in the "Missed Flight" line for a long period of time, then one of the representatives told us they can't do anything and to go to the rebooking line but informed us there is a 3:50 AM flight leaving out that isn't booked.

Prior to going over to the rebooking line, we look online for this flight and it existed. We stand in the rebooking line for at least 30 minutes before getting to the window. In the meantime I tried calling their partner airline, American Airlines, as they assisted me in helping me book a reward ticket. But there was a long wait, so I had to wait for a callback. When we get to the counter, the lady said should couldn't help me because I booked through American Airlines. My friend did not and told her the 3:50 AM flight was booked. We couldn't understand that as we saw it online and we were told it was available by another representative.

We then approach the ticketing counter regarding this 3:50 AM flight and two other individuals with LATAM said the flight was booked. American Airlines returned my call and said the 3:50 AM flight was booked as well. At this point we are stuck in Lima with no place to stay and the potential of our short vacation being ruined thanks to LATAM. At this point we start researching alternatives but none of them appeared to be reasonable and the WiFi stopped working for us at Lima's airport. So I called my aunt back in the US who doesn't work for any airline or travel agency to find this 3:50 AM flight. She finds it and books it! Clearly it was not booked!

After my return, I filed a complaint with the airline due to: 1) Poor customer service - the representatives would not assist us in checking in on the electronic machines. 2) Poor customer service - more than one representative lied saying the flight was booked. 3) Misleading booths - Why are there two booths for LATAM at Lima's airport? 4) The flight was closed on the electronic machine prior to 45 minutes to the flight departing.

It took LATAM the entire month of July to review my complaint just for them to respond with a complete disregard for the issue. LATAM has no respect or concern for the customer and would recommend to anyone to never fly them. In result I ended up paying for two plane tickets and my friend had a problem with her return flight being cancelled. It also resulted in us paying an additional $300 each for a flight.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I had full price tickets purchased for my children and I to travel to the US as we are US citizens residing in Chile. About a month before leaving I felt horrible and went to the doctor and found out that I have some problems in my blood work. Now I have a bevy of exams with cancer as the number one concern, and my children, husband and I decided that it was best to continue with the exams and move the date of travel. We contacted customer service but we have to pay an extravagant amount to change the travel date and they won't refund the tickets. I have all of the paperwork and blood work from the doctor and now need to follow up with the hematologist, and the customer service in Latam has been horrible. I just want to move my flights so that I can get better and LATAM customer service could care less.

Original review: June 21, 2017

Wow. I don't even know where to begin. My girlfriends and I saved up for 8 months to go to the Galápagos Islands. I'm a 27 year old who saved every penny to be able to do this vacation. From Guayaquil, Ecuador we were supposed to fly at 11 am on Sunday 6/11. We arrive at 9:30am to be told that the plane left two hours early. Two hours early?? They said they sent us an email, but there were over 30 other passengers who didn't receive an email.

The lady at the check-in counter, who was less than pleasant, told us to wait an hour and come back because they might have a flight on a Monday for the passengers who missed it. If not, we would have to fly out Tuesday. We waited an hour and came back and she simply told us that there was no flight. We were told to go to the ticket booth and change the flight. The lady there told us that the Tuesday flight was now all full (because we were told to wait an hour!!) and that the next flight was Wednesday. We told her absolutely not, we wanted to be flown on Tuesday. She was very nice and found us a flight that flew from Guayaquil to Quito and then finally to Galápagos. We booked that immediately.

When I asked about reimbursement for the hotel that we paid for, they told us to fill out a claim. I filled out a claim on Monday and heard back Tuesday morning. I was happy to hear back so quickly but I received a generic response that thanked me for taking the time to reach out and that was it. I emailed back and said I was looking for someone to call me and talk about the troubles we received.

On Tuesday we flew from Quito and the plane was honestly two feet from the ground on the landing strip on the island and it look back off and flew away!! We received zero communication about what was going on. I (after witnessing the Boston Marathon bombs go off) was very nervous and anxious about my plane being so close to landing and then abruptly taking off. After 15 minutes of ZERO communication from any crew members, I stopped the flight attendant and asked her. She said that it was too windy and we had to fly back. TWO HOURS BACK TO QUITO. Are you kidding me??? I've been on much windier flights. This was ridiculous. We fly two hours back to Quito. Wait for luggage. Wait in line for an hour. Find out that we are going to a hotel for the night and they will bus us back to Quito the next day, Wednesday.

Now, our 7 day vacation has turned to 4. We paid $180 a night for three nights of a hotel we did not stay at. We couldn't see any of the other Islands due to lack of time, so we tried to call to change our flight to take off at the only island we were able to stay at, not the other island that we originally going to leave from. HA. We called countless times. We were put on hold for half hour increments. Hung up on. Lied to. It was amazing. Our Hostel owner tried to call on our behalf and they hung up on him as well. He had countless Latam horror stories to share with us. So we had to pay $30 a person to ride a "ferry" to the other island to catch our plane.

I finally received an email from them today (Monday, 7 days later) stating they received my reply email and would take out ANOTHER claim. Huh?? I called and was transferred to someone rather quickly, but was on hold for the better part of the first 8 minutes. He finally said he couldn't do anything and there wasn't any information he could give me so he would place a new request. I asked him what having a new request would do and he had no idea. I asked to be transferred to the department that handles the claims and he said they don't have a phone. I told him that he could do a new claim but I demanded someone call me tomorrow. I vowed to call back every single day until I receive a solution to the disaster of the first half of my vacation they caused. Only time will tell if I even get to speak to someone in the customer service department who handles these claims. I'm not holding my breath.

Original review: June 6, 2017

LATAM cancelled our flights (2 of us) and booked us on a flight 6 hours earlier. I absolutely CANNOT make the flight 6 hours earlier. Although I will get my money back from LATAM, I will not be able to get the money that I lost on the connecting flight. So they completely ruined my itinerary. Customer service was of NO help.

Never again!

Original review: June 5, 2017

I travel a lot and I deal with airlines a lot too, but dealing with this one has been the worst possible experience. I have called the so-called 'Help Center' to be 'helped' in my request, changing of dates of my return ticket, and after dealing with at least 15 useless 'executives' as they are called, putting on long holds, none of them have come with a resolution, please stay away from LATAM. They are not prepared to deal with complaints and requests, they are only prepared to get as much money as possible from you and with the worst attitude.

Original review: May 19, 2017

On Flight 4363 May 1st returning from Bogota to Miami, just as we are arrived in Miami, the crew member stated they were fumigating the plane, and that this had no side effect and was considered to be safe to all. Not so, I started to feel scratchy throat, and other passengers cough as well. It is May 19 today, I have been out of work for 3 weeks, was diagnosed with severe allergic reaction to spray used. It burned my sinus and respiratory track, I had asthma, sores in my sinus and developed pneumonia from it. I tried to find out why this was done, it is not a requirement to do this in the United States, but so far I have gotten nowhere with different transportation departments. Consumers be aware! This practice can kill people! Read article on USA today, Neurological Disinsecticides, people need to be inform. I will never fly this Airline again! Customer service is the worst.

Original review: May 16, 2017

Purchased tickets from CHEAPTICKETS.COM to visit Chile with my wife using LATAM Airlines. Since I am Chilean I thought I should patronize LAN CHILE. When I went to choose seats, I found out my flight was switched to AMERICAN Airline. The kicker is these ** (American Airline) charged me $450.00 in addition for the seats in their plane. I am very disappointed about the bait-and-switch deal. I cannot change this now, but I am very disappointed about LAN CHILE and the bait-and-switch game they played.

Original review: May 5, 2017

I agree with the person below who said "strongly suggest not to use their services neither online or by phone. Because of the merger between TAM and LAN Chile, their systems are not prepared to solve issues no matter what you need." I was due to fly to Sao Paulo today at 18:25 and received an email at 02:00 saying that my flight was delayed by 5 hours. Then at 10:00 am I received an email saying it was cancelled. I called and they said that there were no options for me to fly out today. I had to call several times to work out options and each time no one had a clue what they were doing. Some said my flight hadn't even been cancelled. Then they checked and decided it had.

I asked if they could get me to Rio (as I was going to miss my domestic flight because of them, but they said I would be charged). Then they said I could go via Santiago, then they decided I couldn't as it was a route change. I called several times during the day and had a terrible experience every time. I finally called to accept their offer of going at the same time the next day and then they said I was confirmed for the original delayed flight they had told me was cancelled which was about to leave. The online chat was only available in Portuguese and not even available to me because my reservation started with 045 which apparently means it's a LAN reservation, even though it was bought via LATAM. All in all by far the worst experience I've had with an airline. They have no idea what is going on.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I was on the flight JJ8080 on Wed, March 29th (GRU-JFK) and on my way to the airport I got a message saying that the flight was delayed in 11 hours. Then I called TAM to see what were my options and they mentioned that because it wasn't canceled I had nothing to worry on my new booking. When I asked about accommodation I was told that there was no accommodation available for me, which is ridiculous, because by the Brazilian law on flights delayed in more than 4 hours the passengers are granted accommodation.

Then 5 min later I've got a message saying that the flight was canceled and when I called TAM, again, to change my reservation the attendant kept me on the line for 45 min. (No kidding... 45 minutes!!! To process the change!!!) It's absurd!!! Terrible customer service. When I thought that the nightmare was over... I was placed on a 9:50 am flight and when I tried to connect to the wifi onboard so that I could at least work from the plane guess what... The aircraft was so old that it had no wifi!!! So I wasted an entire working day thanks to TAM!

Original review: April 3, 2017

Strongly suggest not to use their services neither online or by phone. Because of the merger between TAM and Lan Chile, their systems are not prepared to solve issues no matter what you need. I bought a ticket from their website (LATAM Airlines - meaning no TAM or Lan Chile) and can't select the seats that I want and even upgrade it to Comfort Seat. The nightmare starts when you need to talk to them through their help center. I was transferred to 5 different agents (sometimes from TAM and sometimes from Lan Chile) because my ticket apparently was issued by one of these companies (yes, I still don't know which company issued by ticket - neither they do).

Spent near two hours earlier today (April 3rd) and had no solution for my request. BUT IF I DECIDE TO CANCEL MY TICKET, I HAVE TO PAY A PENALTY FEE. A penalty fee for a service that hasn't been even concluded properly. Therefore, my suggestion, pick another company such as United or American where you can do all online and have a bit better service support from their help center. If anyone has any question and believe I can be of any help, just reach out to me.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

My wife had to go to Brazil for family emergency. On the return, she bought a 1-way ticket from GRU to MIA on Dec.28th (day flight) for the expensive price of little over $1,643. The seat was by the bathroom doors so she paid another $70 to move to emergency row. When at the airport, she (and dozens other passengers) were put aside because the flight was overbooked. The company put her on evening flight arriving at 4 am at MIA and $200 for meals at airport hotel. No reimbursement for a regular air fare for the new flight; no guarantees she will have the same leg room seat she paid for. First of all, they should not oversell seats at this date and age of fast data. Second of all, you might think that consumers who paid an outrageous full price for a ticket should not be treated like this. Not flying this company anymore. Shame on you TAM.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

This is my official complaint and the request for compensation for my medical expenses. I must say I have had the worst experience with my flight back to Australia from Colombia. After buying the airfare in February you guys changed the timing of the flights shortening my connection times from 1 and 2 hours down to 15 and 30min in Santiago and in Auckland. When I do my check-in in Bogota the guy who served me said that there is no way I will make the chile connection so I will have to stay the night and fly next day - to which I agree in Bogota. He advised that I will have to attend the international transfer desk and they will arrange everything from Chile.

To my surprise when I arrived the guys said - "well you will have to run to make the plane - if it leaves, then we will arrange alternatives!" - at this point I had to run all the way to gate 20! I suffer from asthma and the run was not helping. Once I arrived I was given my boarding pass - oh great. I made the flight, then even after selecting my seat with weeks in advance (window seat) you decided to locate me in the worse sit in the plane - middle-middle. At that time I'm just glad I made it.

Then my itinerary originally showed a connection of 1 hour in Auckland. Turns out that after a 12.5hrs flight my connecting flight doesn't exist - the screens didn't show the flight number you had provided and not one Latam staff member was around to assist passengers. You should try running across the airport to the transfer desk and multiple gates to work out what flight you are supposed to be on - well after flying for 18 hours my legs hardly responded and I fell multiple times running around the airport from one gate to the other until a Qantas member found out that I was on a flight that was about to leave - meaning my 1 hour connection turned to a 15-20min connection.

I run once again to the gate which was wrongly announced by the crew at landing - and I fall once again - at this point I'm exhausted, I'm angry and frustrated for your lack of communication. I was the last passenger on the plane - the Qantas crew were very kind and then told me 8 people missed the connection due to the mix up of the flight numbers and times. I then had to fly another 4 hours with bruised hands and knees and in the worse level of pain. Having to go and see a doctor on arrival at Melbourne and on top of everything having to organise my luggage collection as it didn't connect and was left in Santiago.

If you cannot make sensible connections you should review the way you are selling your airfares. This is the worst experience I've ever had. The staff on the ground were not helpful at all!

SO POINTS TO NOTE: Please ensure you write down all the details of your flights AT THE TIME OF BOOKING because your FLIGHT CONFIRMATION DOES NOT CONTAIN THE INFORMATION you need to fly. Don't buy the ticket directly. The flight agency might actually look after you better than LATAM. If you are asked to run to make your flight - DONT! Don't even try their customer service number. They will put you on hold - then hang up! Hope this helps fellow passengers!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

We flew LAN from Lima to Punta Arenas, Chile. There was a technical issue; therefore the flight was delayed for one day. We was issued travel voucher for $600 credit or $200 cash and was told we can redeem back in the United States. We went to the Los Angeles airport twice, still can't redeem cash. The US-based LAN don't issue cash which we were told they do. They gave us number to call, but both numbers were not working. We called the LAN office at the airport more than 10 times, never reach anyone, so we gave up. We went to the airport again to talk to someone. They told us they need to submit the paperwork to the LAN office in Florida for the cash redeem. We never receive any update or the cash. I gave up working with them.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

I am a US based travel agent. Our agency issued a ticket for a client on LAN Chile, 15 April 2016 at 5pm. The travel was to Rio on 31 July 2016. The client is a student attending the Olympics on assignment. When she arrived at the airport for her flight and there was no reservation. Apparently, LAN Chile had canceled the reservation 35 minutes after the booking and never notified the agency. After a 48 hour delay and missing her first assignment, the client was forced to purchase a new ticket for $5900. Since our agency wasn't advised, the ticket was canceled. We paid the ticket through ARC.

We have been trying to get a waiver code for a refund since 31 July 2016 but LAN Chile refuses to cooperate. I have contacted every published number for them. Their customer service refuses to help me because they say I need to speak to the travel agency support desk. Rolf at the travel agency support desk, either hangs up on me or transfers me to the customer support desk. I have made over 150 calls so far.

I finally reached a gentleman, Joe ** in Los Angeles who is supposed to be the Senior Sales Manager for LAN. He helped me one day making 3 way calls but getting the same results, either disconnected or transferred. He said he would contact the office in Santiago and get a resolution for me. He hasn't called me back and it's been over a month. I leave him a message every day but he doesn't respond. I have sent him a certified letter which he has refused. This is no way to do business. LAN is claiming there was never a ticket. They advised the client that we never issued a ticket. I have provided both the reservation number and the ticket number but they still refuse to do anything about it.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

NEVER ever purchase a plane ticket directly from LATAM. Only purchase your ticket through a USA-based travel agency or a USA-based web page. ALWAYS purchase travel insurance. What's wrong? LATAM does not honor their reservations. I am a frequent flyer; in LATAM's Platinum Category. LATAM will bump anyone or arbitrarily change your flights and your schedule. If you purchase your tickets with a USA-based travel agent or travel web page, they will solve any issues caused by LAN. I made the mistake of purchasing several tickets this year directly from LATAM (ex TAM) and now I bitterly regret doing that. In the past, TAM was a jewel among airlines. Now that they have merged with LAN and become LATAM - we are all at the mercy of whatever scheduling or customer service clod LAN inflicts on us.

For example: I purchased Thanksgiving tickets for myself and the General in January 2016 directly from LATAM (ex TAM). I had confirmed every detail INCLUDING the seats for the General and I. Now, I discover that supposedly several flights are suddenly "unconfirmed". In other words, LATAM took thousands of dollars of my money for a trip back to the USA for Thanksgiving and right now it appears that I will not be able to spend Thanksgiving with my family in the USA. On another flight, also purchased directly from LATAM, I was arbitrarily bumped on my return flight from their morning flight to their evening flight. I already contacted LATAM via their Facebook page on Tuesday. Well, it's Thursday and still no answer.

NEVER ASSUME THAT YOU CAN CALL LATAM. LATAM's Customer Service phone numbers frequently do not work. Sometimes ALL of their call centers in the USA and South America will be "out of service". LATAM often will oblige you to contact them via their Facebook webpage. Their webpage promises a prompt reply. That promise is simply laughable! I contacted them on Tuesday Aug 16 regarding the trip where I was "bumped" from the morning flight to the evening flight. On Wed Aug 17 they wrote back asking for my reservation code. I sent them the reservation code. Then they wrote back again re-stating they could do nothing without my reservation code. Two days later and nothing has been resolved.

Original review: July 9, 2016

Something really unfair and illegal is happening with LATAM and their credit card LANPASS. With the credit card consumers earn one MILE per every dollar spent, however in the LATAM website they don't do the conversion, instead of getting 1 mile I get 1 km. ONE MILE IS 1.6 KMS so I am missing a lot kms. The conversion is as follows. 1 Mile = 1.60934 KM. LATAM case number is **. After several calls I don't know what to do anymore! So frustrated! This is false advertisement!

Original review: July 6, 2016

My daughter was travelling from Toronto to Cusco Peru to do some work as a volunteer and her luggage was lost. Latam staff at the airport was not qualified to assist her properly giving her the wrong information and never created a claim ticket. The agency she had signed up to to do volunteer work (a program she paid for) could not take her any more due to her missing supplies. It's been 3 days now and they still can't find her bag. I have been on the phone constantly for 3 days trying to find assistance in locating her lost bag. Every Latam staff I have spoken to provide me with a different answer or blamed the initial airline (Started with American Airline to Latam airline operated by AA) or simply "we will contact you"... Very disorganized organisation... Very sad that a young person put forward her money and time towards helping Peru as a volunteer and gets that type of treatment.

Original review: June 27, 2016

My daughter was traveling to SFO to Cuzco, and Airline lost her luggage. It has been more than one day and they can't even locate her luggage and does not take any actions to give her all lost items. Truly worst airline, and you never should take LATAM Airlines... Truly this is not acceptable.

TAM Airlines Company Information