2. Travel

Brazil

2.3/5 (186 ratings)

About LATAM Airlines

LATAM Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LATAM Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LATAM Airlines?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Basically, I am very much humiliated by the treatment which me, my daughter and my small dog received by LATAM staff at Madrid International Airport! We were firstly not provided any information regarding the international certificate of veterinary that she is vaccinated even after frequent communication through phone calls from Brazil and Spain. We were not sure until the last minute if we can board the flight or not! As our flight was a connecting flight which confirmed that all our documents were correct except LATAM! Later, as we were more concerned about COVID we were properly vaccinated and also did the RT-PCR test within 72 hours. But when we reached the Madrid international airport, we were not allowed to board the flight as we lack one of their document, which they might have informed before or through previous connecting flight providers.

As I was getting back to my home country after nearly 3 years as were waiting for our residence renewal in Spain this was a huge issue for me, my daughter and my dog as we were without money, food and a place to stay in Madrid! Being a unemployed women my husband and family from Brazil managed to arrange everything necessary to return back for our safety; but adding to our humiliation none of the LATAM staff provided help nor support to us. They were always shouting and keeping us away from them until the flight departed and sent all our luggage without us! It was not just that the lady who was dealing with the pets dragged me, my daughter along with our dog when we were trying to explain our complicated situation with them.

Not just that, the lady said that she will gave 5 euros to buy some food for my daughter! Me as a mother of a daughter and a small dog had to stay empty stomach whole night without food with uncertainty at the airport! Next day when I complained to Civil police and explained our situation they said that they will help her to get the documents for our dog urgently. They gave us food and supported that they will help us in our safe return. Even after that the LATAM staff were not ready to provide us a new ticket for the next day fight. Only when the Civil police interfered they provided the tickets with "Shameful smiling faces" as if nothing happened! I think the Spain care more for women, animal as well as children rights than LATAM Brazil! I want the whole world to know what this LATAM airlines is capable of! If they can do this with the people from their own country just imagine what they can do for others.

Maria Fernanda Maciel Teixeira Sanmukh

Original review: July 30, 2021

Terrible experience with LATAM Airlines. Bought a ticket a refunded it 10 minutes later expecting that it would be valid within the 24 hour refund period. Spoke to representative Jonathon **. He promised that I would be getting a full refund within 5 business days. I even got an email confirmation. I called back 7 business days later asking why I didn’t get the refund yet.

While speaking to Valerie ** (emp # **), she had no idea what she was doing, and told me to get my refund from Expedia. I kept telling her I booked DIRECTLY FROM THE LATAM SITE AND NOT EXPEDIA. She then kept me on hold for 40 minutes, spoke to her manager Felipe **, and told me sorry they could not process the refund. I told them several times that I received an email confirmation, and all they could say was sorry, refund was rejected. NEVER EVER FLY WITH LATAM, they are CROOKS! I’ve publicly listed the names of the incompetent staff I had to deal with and will continue posting until I get my refund.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2021

Trash, over priced in comparison to competitors in almost every geographical location. Poor customer service. This Chili company is first on the chopping block with covid flight pull backs... Every policy within this company's ecosystem of operation is loaded against the flyer.

Original review: April 23, 2021

We were unable to travel due to Ecuador going into a country wide lockdown due to COVID beginning 4/23/2021 and supposed to end 5/20/2021. We were to travel 5/1/2021 to 5/23/2021 but because of the lockdown were unable to do so. LATAM has kept 70% of the price of the ticket for each member of our party (there are 4 of us). Every other entity gave a full refund except for LATAM. NOT our fault that the country went into lockdown. Find another airline to fly with or take the bus.

The hoops you have to jump through to get a refund are arduous as well. I had to cancel one at a time, not the entire reservation. They will not refund to your credit card, only to your bank account. I filed for a refund yesterday and filled out their repetitious forms one-by-one and then they issue a travel voucher and then you have to go through the process again and give them your bank account information. NOT SECURE in my book. FLY with ANY OTHER airline but LATAM.

Original review: April 11, 2021

Worst airline ever. They cancelled my flight back in October 2020 due to Covid (I suppose, but I don't know for sure), which was fine for me since I couldn't go anyway because of Covid. When they informed me about the cancellation in August, they told me first that when the booking was made by credit card, a refund would be issued automatically within 30 days. No such refund was ever issued. Then I sent them a message through their website asking what happened to the refund. They replied (after weeks!) that I had to fill in a form (which is contrary to their first message). But fine, I did fill that in.

Still, after chasing them for 3 times again from October 2020 on, nothing ever got refunded and they simply do not reply to messages. In March 2021 I submitted another message stating that I wanted to file a complaint unless I would get my money straight away. I got a reply that the refund had already been processed (absolutely not!) so that they could not process my complaint (!?). This company is a total scam. I can't believe a company like this is allowed to even exist having read all other 1 star reviews all over the internet. It's criminal.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

Latam have provided the worst customer service I've ever experienced. I'm absolutely disgusted and frustrated. My flight was cancelled and I was not told. The website has been incorrect for months, I've emailed and been told my flight was fine but the website stayed incorrect and I couldn't amend anything. I spent weeks trying to call to check the status as I am aware there might be changes. I tried to call the Contact Center, but no one picks up in English. I was on hold for hours and hours on the English line and no one picked. I called the Portuguese line and people answered. I speak a little Portuguese but if I didn't how the hell would I get any support or know that my flight was cancelled.

A week before my flight and they said everything was fine, the man said he would email a confirmation, he didn't. Then I tried to check in 72 hours before my flight, the website wasn't working. I called again in Portuguese and they then told me the flight was cancelled which I would have had no way of knowing if I didn't speak a bit of Portuguese.

They helped me change the flight which was good. However I then checked in online and bought an upgraded seat, the payment was taken from me and a receipt emailed, but my seat has not changed on the website or my ticket. So they have stolen money from me and not delivered their part of the service. I tried to call again to sort it, I had to call the Portuguese line again as no one answers in English, and he told me to call back the English or Spanish and wouldn't help me. I explained there was no one on the English line but he wouldn't help me. How am I supposed to sort this problem? It's the worst experience I've ever had with a flight and I want compensation for my experience, I need a refund of the stolen money and someone from Latam to actually respond and fix the problems!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I have had several cancellations and several flights had been modified without any kind of notification. I have called customer service several times and received very little help if not any. I requested the representative to transfer me to a manager and was declined. I requested a manager's email and was declined. I requested information about how to file a complaint and the only information he gave me is to go to latam.com without any kind directions or how to process a claim. Not sure what are the standards for customer service at Latam but I can assure you that my experience has been far from decent. I was able to find how to file a complaint but no returns so far. I have used TAM air lines several times in the past but now with LATAM nothing but disappointment.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

We have had so many issues with this airline. We have been flying this airline for about 10 years and the past two years there has been great administrative changes and we have had horrible experiences trying to buy tickets to fly to Peru and Australia. Last year my husband made a group reservation to fly with a group of people to Peru and while we were on vacation in Thailand in March we found out that Latam had not issued the tickets that had been purchased and charged to our credit card for the trip to peru in June. He had to jump through hoops to get them to issue the tickets because we needed to get confirmation for the flights for everyone on the group trip.

Last December 2019 we purchased tickets to fly to Peru on New Year's vacation and we were not able to pay for the tickets online with our credit card. My husband tried every which way to pay for the tickets and was not able to. We had to call a family member in Peru so that they could purchase our tickets in Peru because their system would not take our payment. About a week later we tried to purchase tickets to fly to Australia together. My husband was not able to buy our tickets on the same order he had to buy his ticket separate from mine. Why? Because their system would not accept payment for both tickets online. This is outrageous!!! So, he had to buy both his ticket and my ticket separately.

Before we flew to Peru this past December, we checked to make sure everything was ok with the reservations to Australia and long and be hold, they issued my ticked but they did not issue his ticket even though they charged the credit card. So, this is where all the trouble started again with Latam. My husband started calling them asking them why they had not issued his ticket to Australia, they said they would in time, to keep checking back and gave us a case number.

While we were in Peru we went to a Latam center and they said that our case was not important, that they needed to focus on other cases that had flights sooner then ours to Australia. We kept calling and checking with them and we got to nothing. Then they said there was an issue with my husbands member number and told us to call another number to get a telephone code so we could get another case number. Then they said we needed to call their Brazil office to deal with the issue. We kept getting the run around and no answers!!!

We were in Peru for a month and all this time nothing was resolved with Latam. They eventually cancelled my husbands ticket to Australia and refunded the money without advising us. But now we are left with my ticket. So we are trying to cancel my ticket to Australia but we get nowhere with this company. Same excuses!!! They send us from here to there with no solution and I'm so sick and tired of this lack of professionalism and waste of our valuable time!!! They gave us a case number for this ticket and now a week away from when our flight was, we still have no resolution to this chaos!!!

I do not recommend this airline at all anymore!!! Take your money elsewhere. Don't waste your valuable time. While we were trying to resolve this issue in the Lima office there was another lady there with the same issue. for no reason Latam cancelled her husbands ticket to Peru. I have looked on their Facebook page and so many people are complaining about this airline not refunding their money!! They need to get their act straight. This is fraud!! I have complained on their Facebook page and advised them that I will go to the proper authorities in Peru if this is not resolved and our money and miles returned without charges.

Consumers need to be aware of what this company is doing!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

This company is a joke. I was traveling with a group of 6 people (all U.S. Citizens). We had confirmed tickets from Lima to Cusco round trip. We arrived early at the airport just to make sure we have time in case we encounter any problems as we are in a foreign country. We preferred to take precautions just in case. Once we arrived at the counter to process our check in they told us our seats had been sold and that we had to wait for the next flight. We were very upset as we had not been notified at all of any changes regardless of the reason. They offered us a credit with the airline of $40 or a cash voucher of $20. We really didn't want either as it was cutting short our much awaited vacation which we had look forward to enjoy for a year and now we are being literally FORCED to cut it short for $20 in exchange. Really....

Anyway, since they did not give us another option no matter how many times we said no, we took the $20 cash voucher. Here comes the worst part.... they told us that we could go to any LATAM agency and that they would exchange the voucher for cash, as the counter at the airport was not authorized to do that. (First lie) So, we went to the LATAM office in Cusco and they told us that on in Lima could be done (Second lie). Upon our return to Lima we went to the LATAM agency in Chacarilla, but they told us that they couldn't do it and that we had to go to a different agency in Miraflores (Third lie). We then proceeded to go to the agency in Miraflores on our last day before our departure back to the U.S. and they proceeded to tell us that they couldn't process the request as it had to be done over the phone (Fourth lie).

It has been 5 months since that day and in the interim we have been communicating with their "Customer Service" department. We have been changed at least 7 times of representative and every time they ask us for passports, copies of IDs, notarized letters to approve disbursement of funds for our children voucher credit, more questions and more emails. Once we thought we finally were done, and we would finally get our credit they said they needed an account in Soles, which is the Peruvian currency. Now, why in hell would they give a voucher that specifically reads $20 (DOLLARS) if when you redeem it you need an account in a different currency!!!

Anyway, I was able to contact a friend in Peru that was willing to provide me with her account information for the deposit to be done in her account for her then to transfer the funds. LATAM then said that needed another letter approving such transaction. We did. We sent them once again what they requested. This was followed by a response saying that only 5 vouchers will be credited. The other one was missing a voucher number. That was 45 days ago and we still haven't received any credit.

I then received an automatic email saying that if I wanted to receive the funds I had to complete their forms again because they voucher was going to expire. Then I email them again asking where my "approved credit" was and they ignored my question by saying please provide copy of passport, ID, notarized letter, etc etc etc etc etc. This is beyond ridiculous and a joke of customer service. I don't do all this for $20. It is a matter of principle. I will forever discredit this company. I will hire a lawyer to help me make this right. This is abuse.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

On October 12, 2019 I flew on flight 2462 from Lima-Peru to Miami, my business ticket # is **, just in case Latam is interested in investigating what happened, something that I doubt based on the bad service that I received. The seat where I sat didn't have the monitor working. I complained with the supervisor of the area and she told me that she was going to get another seat for me. According to her, some employees/pilots were flying in business and she was going to ask them to swap our seats. They didn't agree on doing so and I had to travel without a working entertainment system. These employees don't care about the fact that I had pay a higher price to get a ticket in business.

I should point out that the folding table used to serve meals in one of the seats closed to me got loose and the supervisor had to tight it. It looks like these seats are not given the proper maintenance. Another surprise to me is that when I tried to get my boarding pass in my cell phone when traveling with Latam from Miami to Lima, Peru, it was said that I couldn't do that because Latam don't participate with the TSA program in the USA, so I had to show a printed boarding pass.

LATAM Airlines Company Information