3.08/5

Brazil

97 LATAM Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 31, 2019

My wife and I were on flight 8053 which was delayed for about an hour before take-off. We had a tight connecting flight at Sao Paulo to Boston. During the flight, I waited until refreshments were served because I wanted to inform the attendants of our situation. When the attendants were free, I tried to speak to an attendant, but he shut the curtain in my face saying "the compartment is closed" in English. At the end of the flight, I tried again to get some assistance, but he once again rudely brushed me off saying "You'll be fine" even though he knew nothing about our connecting flight. In addition, this same attendant closed the curtain to "the compartment" even though my wife and I had been waiting in line for 30 minutes to use the bathroom. He stated that there were 2 more bathrooms at the other end of the plane which had a line of more than 10 people already waiting.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Latin American airlines actually provide food for their customers, and seem more flexible in their approach to their customers. You feel more like a human being rather than a poor person who had to fly economy.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I bought a ticket at 11pm on the 5th. After realizing I had made a mistake, I called to make a correction on the 6th. After creating a case, I received an email that I had started my case at 7:15 pm with no extra information. I called the next day and was told, "Your claim is still being processed." Then I get an email saying that my claim wasn't made within 24 hours. But after looking at my email and trying to explain to the man on the phone it says claim made on Mar 6th 2019, he said it was made at 0015 on the 7th. He was clearly trying to place the blame on me, their customer. I still have this email. But no resolving of my request.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I bought a flexible ticket (the option that allows you to reschedule your flight free of charge) from Belo Horizonte to Sao Paolo (February 2019). My flight was due to leave in the late afternoon and I was coming by bus from a different town, headed for Belo Horizonte. There was an accident on the road and hours prior to my arrival in the city I knew I wouldn't make it on time. 3 to 4 hours before the departure time, I sent a message to the customer service, informing them of the situation and inquiring about later flights (I could use data but I couldn't call anyone since I was in Brazil only for a few days and I bought a data only package). I tried different options, sent messages to different Latam offices. The earliest reply came in a day later (I had to go by overnight bus to make sure I could reach my destination on time). I complained to the help centre again... The only reply I got was one that stated that they had taken note of my problem...that was it.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Latam canceled my original flight for the 21 of dec. Thru American airlines a flight in had to go to bogota for medical reasons. Based on their cancellation I told them that I needed to go to Bogota for medical reasons. After numerous attempts and back and forth emails I was able to obtain a voucher for the $606 the cost of my original ticket good until dec 19 2019. Now it's March 2019 I need to make the reservation. I go to latam and see the flight I need for $484. When I call to make the reservation they told me that they were going to charge me full price of the ticket and also that I had to pay a fee of $48. They are taking advantage of the situation. This is truly unethical. DO NOT FLY LATAM...YOU WILL REGRET IT. DO NOT FLY LATAM.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LATAM Airlines?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

An airline that constantly has to deal with problems caused by their inadequate systems, that is constantly understaffed, and a few staff members at their check-in counters are ill-equipped to deal with international passengers, since only a handful speak a bit of English. This is at the international airport in Sao Paolo!!! Their "priority" check-in counter only had one person attending, meaning I had to wait for more than an hour to check in (no online check-in options traveling to Australia). Once I got to the counter, the completely uninterested staff member told me that my flight departing 07:25 does not exist and that I will be leaving at 09:30. Not even showing him the booking confirmation could convince him that 07:35 exists!!! Try to explain that by not catching that flight, I would miss my connection to Australia in Santiago. I could have been talking to the wall with more success...

Finally he found my flight, issued my boarding passes and looked away as I ran towards the passport control. Nearly missed my flights! Dead tired, frustrated and enraged by "I don't care" attitude... Great way to start a 23-hour journey back to Australia. And as I am writing this, my wife, who was going to catch the same flight today, just lost her flight to Santiago and with that her connection to Sydney. Only 2 check-in counters, checking in hundreds of passengers, many of whom with some kind of problem, so no quick and easy check-in process.

When they asked all of the passengers on her flight to come forward and jump the queue, it was too late. The flight was closed, and she now has to travel the following day via Melbourne to Sydney, extending the journey by 3 ½ hours!!! I have never had to deal with more incompetent bunch of people! Sadly, flying from Australia, for us this is the only option unless we want to spend 36 hours traveling in order to bypass LATAM. Sad sad sad...

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Appears this airline bumps passengers at will when they oversell their flights. They bumped us as they oversold the flight. At the airport they were incredibly unhelpful. They offered zero compensation, failed to provide any information about compensation and only offered to put us up at hotel. They then booked us on a flight the next day at a very early hour claiming it was the only flight the next day. Asked for the Holiday Inn hotel at the airport and the so called manager claimed it was sold out. When I showed him it was available he suddenly could not longer speak English.

Since then I wrote seeking compensation according to the relevant legislation they post on their website. They claimed they do not comply with that legislation. When I referenced it on their website, the next response was, "In your particular case, your ticket shows domestic flights within Chile, therefore we must apply the local regulations, as established by the Chilean Aeronautic Code. Unfortunately the website is only available in Spanish." The compensation they have offered is less than the costs of the tickets we bought. They also did not comply by seeking volunteers. They claim they did but they would not even allow us to go to the gate. They refuse to tell us the fare difference between the flight we paid for and flight they put us on. So going to sue them in Canada where the ticket was purchased.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

WE are a family of four that travels regularly to Brazil and made a decision as a family to spend 2018 Christmas and new years there, I bought and PAID our tickets and got our seats confirmation in September 2018. When it came time to travel and for LATAM to deliver the goods, they not only didn't do it, they made it clear that they didn't care about it, by just blaming everything and everyone. Our paid for and assigned seats were ignored, our seats were resold for a higher price and we were assigned seats scattered all over in our way to Brazil, they had our 9 year old sitting by himself on the 10 hour overnight flight. On the way back it got worse, they only had 2 of our 4 seats in their system, after 3 hours waiting in the very disruptive, uncomfortable and unprofessional environment, they again assigned last minutes ticket scattered all over the back of the plane.

When I reached out to ask for an explanation and give them a chance to correct the situation, they asked me for all kinds of information and docs, and receipts, they even asked to see a bank statement showing the tickets payment, after I supplied everything, they came back and told me that they're sorry, that it was a system and agent error and that was nothing they could do about it. Unbelievable, stay away, buy from someone that cares, if they treat their customer this way, how do they treat the maintenance of their planes?? Think about it!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

They should not allow them to operate in the U.S. My wife went to Peru to do a lipo. She was suggested by her surgeon to stay one more week in order to make sure everything is ok. She called customer service and they changed her ticket (extra fee obviously). Flight was confirmed and everything was ok until she arrived to airport. The lady working in the counter started to asking medical questions to my wife in order to determine if she can fly, yes medical questions. After that, the same lady called an airline doctor (whom is not there) and tell him whatever my wife told her.

The doctor, after diagnosed her on the phone decided that she cannot fly despite the fact that she is holding a certificate from her surgeon stating that she is in excellent condition and allow to fly. The doctor suggest that she fill a form called medif. Now, in order to this medif be valid it must be approved by him (trying to justify his fee) and it has to be fill and sign by surgeon (understandable) the same that issued an "allow to fly certificate". This form needs to be send 48 hours before fly and has to be approved by "airline doctor" which is not the lady in counter. Moreover, the day after she was supposed to fly they open a case number, so you have to give that number every time you call or talk to "customer service" that provide not service because they have not authority to take decision, they just listen.

This happens when you put some nonsense individuals to follow directions from a big company that see you as a number. They are inconsiderate, disrespectful and discourteous believing that they have some kind of authority. Making a long story short, it will take over 72 hours if you are lucky to get my wife back to U.S., So forget it, we end it buying a same day ticket from a different airline. In conclusion, it is an airline flying to United States which organization and procedures are from an undeveloped country. Do not use it.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

LATAM issued me and my family with travel vouchers as compensation for them overbooking my flight and the subsequent inconvenience/delays caused as we were unable to board. I have subsequently tried to obtain a refund as stated in the travel voucher. This has been the most painful process as they are very hard to get in touch with. Keep asking for ridiculous additional information. Calling their 1800 number is useless as nobody answers. Suggest steer clear of LATAM Airlines.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I keep emailing LATAM Airlines and their mailing system doesn't seem to work. I keep getting 'we have created a case for you'. You cancelled my flight and I need to be reimbursed urgently. Terrible service!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

On June 7th, 2018 I called the LATAM Customer service about my baggage allowance for a Flight to Bucaramanga, Colombia. I was told by the LATAM customer service representative that I was allowed 2 bags under 23kg, I mentioned that I was playing a Golf Tournament in Bucaramanga and I was going to take a luggage bag under 23kg and a golf bag under 23kg, the LATAM Customer representative confirmed that it was allowed.

So, I got a huge surprise at Check-In in Miami when I was FORCED to pay $100 for the Golf Bag for being a sporting equipment bag, this is ridiculous since that it is not the case in other airlines and I bought the airline ticket under false pretense!!! On my return flight from Bucaramanga, I got a bigger surprise, when I was charged a HIGHER fee this time, $119.27. WHY? Why do you have this thievery and discrepancies? This is wrong, that I bought an airline ticket under false pretenses!! Also, the food service was awful, the plane was dirty and it looked like it was poorly maintained. My seat on the return flight was lost, seat 13L. They only provide entertainment via an application and the seats have NO charge connections for the IPAD or Phone!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

In the past 6 days trying to add my 10 months daughter on my flight and until now I couldn’t get it done. I called LATAM, TAM and a couple of other phones that they passed me and none could finish it. More than the half of the calls took more than 40 min. And none could solve it... Sometimes disconnected the call and never returned back, etc. I’m really unhappy with LATAM services... It is an absurd not get it done easy online or have a direct line with someone responsible to do it... If LATAM ever care about it I would appreciate your return call and finish this ordeal.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Just today August 1, my aunt was coming to US from Brazil and could not make because the company simply hadn’t a manager to sign a paper in order to make the necessary change in order to allow her to travel. After 54 min on the line the attendant at Latam airport in Vitória (ES) Brazil could not get any help from the company she works for. Very often people find themselves in a terrible and inconvenient trouble because of a company that is not prepared to help their customer. SHAME ON YOU LATAM. A horrible company with hundreds of mistakes every day.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Had an big issue when my children were traveling alone for the first time. LATAM`s customer services department was amazing. They stayed with me till my children were safe and sound. Supervisor Merciana from Brazil was just amazing and did everything in her power to assure my children`s safety. Thank you to all of you who helped.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Here is a copy of my complaint so you can see for yourselves! Formal complaint to LATAM airlines. From passenger Venetia ** - Witty Ticket # **. Regarding Return Flights LA 8018 and LA 3206, June 30th, 2018. This flight left from Salvador Bahia, Brazil at 6.40 am as scheduled and arrived in Sao Paulo at approximately 9.15 am local time. We were scheduled to leave from Sao Paulo, Brazil at 13.30 after a layover of several hours and should have arrived in EZE at 16.34.

Sao Paulo is where all the problems began. When we were due to board the flight at 13.30 we were informed that our flight had not left EZE and we were to leave on another flight at 18.00 hours. At this time the passengers were not informed why or that the delays were caused by the fog at both airports in Buenos Aires, but LATAM knew of these conditions. LATAM decided to fly to EZE anyway and of course they were unable to land in the fog, so we were diverted to Montevideo in Uruguay where the fog was not quite so bad.

The passengers were given no information when we landed in Montevideo and we tried to find out what was happening from the flight attendants during the more than three hours that we sat on that plane in the airport. Many passengers were seniors and young children and other passengers had missed connecting flights to other places as well and because of bad planning by LATAM. We had all already experienced many delays of long hours up to this point as well.

Passengers began to complain when we heard that LATAM was thinking of returning to Sao Paulo GUARULHOS airport, which they should never have left in the first place due to the fog they already knew about in Buenos Aires, because the passengers wanted to stay the night in Montevideo. During our 3 hours on the plane LATAM only offered sandwiches or deserts and sweets. Because I was placed in the very back row, seat#29D, by the time the food cart arrived there were no sandwiches left. I am a diabetic and need regular meals without sugar and they had only cakes and sweets!! I had not eaten for more than 8 hours because of the delays. I was weak and lightheaded. Fortunately, I had extra medication with me, otherwise I would have become really sick.

Finally, we were told that we could get off the plane and get our luggage and then we would be taken to a hotel for the night until we could fly to Buenos Aires EZE the next day. Many of the passengers waited an hour at the luggage carousel and our bags never arrived! When we asked what happened we were told that the bags were waiting for us at EZE in Buenos Aires (43 bags in total). We had to go to the hotel with nothing but the clothes we were wearing. There were long lines to get buses and taxis to the hotel and it was cold and foggy, so many of the old people, young children and people with medical conditions were not doing well. By the time we got to our hotel it was 1.45 am and we had started our travels the previous day from our hotel in Salvador at 4 am! We were all exhausted. The Hilton Garden hotel took good care of us and sent food and water to the room where we finally got some sleep.

At 12 noon on Sunday, they called us from the front desk of the hotel to inform us that buses would take us to the airport at 2.30 pm, but without assurance that we would be able to board or when. Really one uncertainty after another. An employee of LATAM assured us that the flight that would return to EZE was the same LA 8018, with the same crew and in the same plane of the previous day, where she said, our bags were waiting. The bags had never been unloaded from the plane in Sao Paulo!! How could the airline have never checked that all 43 bags had never been unloaded from the plane in Sao Paulo??

This just keeps getting worse. The plane we eventually boarded to return to EZE turned out to be another one of a smaller inferior airline TAM, and with another flight number LA 9458 and it was now July 1st. and many passengers had missed connections, meetings etc. We finally arrived in EZE at approximately 8.30 pm and were excited to get out lost luggage. After another hour of waiting at the luggage - imagine our distress when it still did not arrive!! We all filed lost luggage complaints at the counter and the agent went to find out where the bags were. When the LATAM representative returned he informed us that the bags were on another flight and would arrive at 9.30 pm at EZE. Well they did not! By this time all the passengers were exhausted and distressed from the last 48 hours of endless problems and we asked again about the bags.

Here is the kicker: The bags had been sent to Aeroparque and we had to get on another bus to go there and pick them up!! By this time it was about 10 pm and we had to wait for a LATAM bus to take us to Aeroparque. By the time we got to Aeroparque and finally got our luggage it was after 11 pm and there were long lines for transport. I was not able to get the Tienda Leon until 12 midnight or a remise until 12.30 am in the morning! I broke down and cried right there - I was weak and dizzy and I had had enough!! I finally got home at 1 am July 2nd!! In addition to this, I have an 83 year old disabled roommate who was waiting up to let me in when I arrived at home at 1 am - already July 2nd and hours late for my diabetic medication!! It took me several days to recover from this ordeal.

In conclusion I request a timely response from LATAM airlines and adequate compensation for the damages caused by their disorganization, the lack of support by the company, the lack of managers to help at critical moments, bad decisions, and for the suitcases being left on the plane at Sao Paulo in the first place which caused all the following problems as outlined above. Most of the passengers, including myself, said it was the last time they traveled with LATAM! We all deserve support in compensation for the delays, confusion, bad decisions and problems with the luggage. I am prepared to copy this complaint to the appropriate Aviation Authorities and to the most important social media websites if I do not get a satisfactory response.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Let's make it clear, each employee I spoke to over the course of 3 days, 20 hours on the phone 12+ representatives was courteous and in my opinion, most of them seemed sincere in their attempts to resolve my issue. I have had a LAN, now LATAM, frequent flier credit card for several years and finally have enough points and a need to obtain a ticket. I booked my reservation and tried to use my points. That's when all hell broke loose. They told me to contact a third party company, Multiplus to obtain a secret code. Everything Multiplus sent me via email, was in Portuguese ("Oh, sorry, we are having problems sending it in English") but nevertheless I worked my way through it and got the account sent up (30+ minutes) and received the top secret code.

To make a 20 hour story short, suddenly the code didn't work. Every time I called back I spoke to a different phone support person at LATAM (12+ total). I was told by one operator that we should get to the airport so that we don't miss the flight "The ticket will be issued soon, we have our top executive working on it with an assistant". We went to airport (girlfriend crying) and were turned down at the window counter, "We don't get involved with call center support". Missed flight, now it's 2 am Lima time and still on hold with call center (Don't worry, they answer phone by default every 2 minutes and let you know, in roughly 1.3 seconds). "Still working, be right back". I finally hung up on Aaron as I was sitting on hold for about 60 minutes with the normal "be right back" every 2 minutes when they are required to pick up their phone, before putting you back on hold.

Day 3: I called at 7:45 am. Each time, I have to explain this drama and problems all over again. That alone takes 7-12 minutes. They don't get that their previous colleague has already tried everything possible. So it seems, we are really waiting for them to fix some problem in their system, but I was not informed and can only guess while they promise "I will fix it for you, we will get you the tickets, only 2 more minutes please". By 2:30 pm on day 3, they finally had a ticket (also not without issues). I had to punch in my Multiplus password on 4 different times along with my account number. The line disconnected two times (the connection is better if you get THEM to call you back). Let's see how the flight goes now. Fingers crossed as the plane is about to take off. I will be switching to Avianca, and other US Airlines after this experience! Many choices are great for the planet!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have been dealing with them for a week now and all I get is lies. My issue is simple. I have points, and I would like to redeem them with an airline ticket. 4 days ago I was told I would be contacted in 48 hours and I am still waiting. I try to do it online and the web page doesn't work. I feel like this is a scam and fraudulent as I have NEVER been able to use my points. I do not believe them anymore and am getting worried about this situation. Their incoherence and lack of attention is almost to the point of illegal as I have been lied to numerous times and have not been able to use my benefits when I need to. Avoid at all costs as every employee I have dealt with has been beyond useless. I am probably going to have to pay for a ticket on my own even though I have enough with my own points. I have family that I must see and have no other choice. LANPASS, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

Alright, the 45 days for the refund are past, again! I am waiting for my refund since October last year! "It will take up to 45 days", I waited. Then I contacted them again, and again, and again "it's on the way". Then I've been asked to resend all my details again with the promise that I'll get my refund within 45 days again. I still have nothing! 500 dollars is a lot of money! Do you realise the impact it can have on some people's lives?!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I booked a flight with Lufthansa but my first connection was LATAM so I have done the online check in with them from GRU - GIG- FRA - DUB without any problem, however when I got to the counter next day, they tell me I could not check in to my final destination and I had compulsory to recheck in Frankfurt (my citizenship does require a visa to do this) before panicking I asked to speak with someone in Spanish or English and spoke with 4 other Brazilian LATAM team, they all said the same thing perhaps they didn’t understand me because none of them were fluent in Spanish or English. They wanted me to get in the plane but I said no (I had the boarding passes only to Frankfurt and had to pick up my luggage there).

So I decided to miss my flight to GIG because I completely sure that I could check in all the way to my final destination as I have done this route several times. Later on, I spoke with Lufthansa in English who fixed the issue in one minute! So my luggage got checked in to my final destination. And I flew in a different flight to GIG.

This experience just blew my mind, for a moment based on the response of the 4 LATAM team. I thought perhaps I made a mistake booking my flight. So I almost had heart attack because I knew if they were correct I would miss my flight and couldn’t afford to get a new one. All they said was “sorry, I don’t know what happened” in her broken Spanish. I just don’t understand why they don’t offer a service in the customer’s language? As many other airlines do. Why is it OK when they make a mistake but if a customer does it is not OK? I wasted 10 hours at the airport, time I could have used to meet my friends in Rio, but nothing but if I was late, I am sure I would have paid fees to change the flight or book a new one.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I booked a flight with several legs with LATAM which I thought would simplify my life rather than getting various one-ways/returns. Boy was I wrong! Due to our car being hit on the way to the airport and having to stop to deal with the issue I was delayed in getting to the airport. On the way I frantically tried to log in online and kept getting an error message. When I called the main customer service line I was faced with several unhelpful attendees who one would say they were from LAN and couldn't help me so transferred me, the next said they dealt with national inquiries so couldn't help me and transferred me, when I finally got to someone who seemed to be in the right department they said that due to the type of my ticket they could only do the check-in in person but that the check in closed 45 mins before the flight so I should get there in time.

I got there an 57 mins before the flight and was told the check-in was closed, and that it in fact closed an hour before the flight and there was nothing they could do. Despite the fact also I only had carry-on therefore would just need to get through security. They re-directed me to what I thought was a customer service help desk but in fact was a LATAM shop where the attendant informed me that due to me not checking in for that one flight the system had automatically CANCELLED ALL SUBSEQUENT FLIGHTS. That is to say that because I missed my flight from Sao Paulo > Bogota they cancelled my flights from Bogota > Medellin, Medellin > Cartagena, Cartagena > Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo > Buenos Aires!!!

Their explanation? It is an in person check in and if I'm not there they assume I am no longer taking the trip. Except of course I was there but they wouldn't let me check in. And to be honest, as far as I'm concerned I could have chosen to swim round the continent to Medellin but that gives them no right to cancel my subsequent flights which I have already paid for and therefore are my right! The real reason of course is that they want any excuse to be able to sell further seats. Anyway, as a result of this I was forced to spend the night at a hotel nearby and buy new flights (with a different airline this time of course) which cost me a total of £649. I have tried to contact LATAM customer service about this several times via their online form (which it seems they make purposely complex to fill out, they do not have a direct email) with no reply.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

The original reservation was for a LAN 1 am flight from Lima to Santiago; row 6. The flight got cancelled, the agent said it happens all the time. I was given seat 1C in a flight the next day. I am about to board the next flight, a new boarding pass is handed to me at the last minute with seat 32H. They said It was due to aircraft change. I asked for seat up front. The LAN agent just looked the other way. Avoid this airline if you can. There is no formality or any kind of accountability.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I had the most terrible experience with LATAM Airlines. I was booked on flight JJ8163 Johannesburg - Sao Paulo and flight LA8828 Sao Paulo - Lima on 26 May 2017. When we arrived in Lima flight LA8828 - my wife`s baggage arrived but not mine. I reported the incident to the Latam desk - just next to the baggage carousel at Lima airport. The official was very unapologetic and gave me a form with reference number on and a telephone number for further reference. I was attending a conference and did not have any clothing to wear so I had to shop for replacement clothing - all due to the excessive delay of over 4 days of my baggage. I have filed a formal request with LATAM on 5 June 2017 with a claim to be compensated for my expenses ie the clothing and other items as well as for the bag that I purchased due to the delay in my baggage.

I again emailed the complaint through 14 June 2017 with total silence again from LATAM. And still nothing has happened after 3 months regards the costs I incurred wrt clothing items I had to buy due to LATAM severe delay in baggage. A certain Erika ** || Agente Administrativo de Equipajes, LAN PER | LATAM AIRLINES GROUP | Aeropuerto Internacional Jorge **, Lima Peru || www.lan.com contacted me on 20 July 2017 to say that LATAM is going to compensate me with USD179 for the excessive delay in my luggage! This is not half of the costs I incurred. But it seems like it was just further evidence of LATAM's poor service because up to date nothing happened! This is totally unacceptable! I definitely would not make use of LATAM Airlines again and I will escalate this to the Social media to caution other travellers of making use of LATAM Airlines!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

A friend and I flew from the US to Lima, Peru. The same day we had a flight on LATAM airlines from Lima to Cusco. We made it through customs and baggage claim very timely. We walked over to check in for domestic flights. When we walked in there was gentleman working for the airport at the door and navigated us to a LATAM both directly in front of us. As we stood there we realized that line was for only one flight. We go to look at the sign and noticed our flight was checking it at the end of the ticketing section.

When we get down to the correct line, the line was extremely long and was not moving. So we go over to the electronic check in. We couldn't get the machine to work and we asked for one of the LATAM representatives to assist. Not ONE of them would take the time to assist us. So we sat there trying to figure it out. As soon as I got ready to hit complete to finish our check in, they closed the flight.

We tried to talk to one of the representatives standing there to assist but they told us to go to the line. Mind you at this point it is about 4:28 PM local time and our flight didn't leave until 5:35 PM local time which is clearly more than 45 minutes prior to the flight closing. We go to the main line but they refer us to the "Missed Flight" line. We stand in the "Missed Flight" line for a long period of time, then one of the representatives told us they can't do anything and to go to the rebooking line but informed us there is a 3:50 AM flight leaving out that isn't booked.

Prior to going over to the rebooking line, we look online for this flight and it existed. We stand in the rebooking line for at least 30 minutes before getting to the window. In the meantime I tried calling their partner airline, American Airlines, as they assisted me in helping me book a reward ticket. But there was a long wait, so I had to wait for a callback. When we get to the counter, the lady said should couldn't help me because I booked through American Airlines. My friend did not and told her the 3:50 AM flight was booked. We couldn't understand that as we saw it online and we were told it was available by another representative.

We then approach the ticketing counter regarding this 3:50 AM flight and two other individuals with LATAM said the flight was booked. American Airlines returned my call and said the 3:50 AM flight was booked as well. At this point we are stuck in Lima with no place to stay and the potential of our short vacation being ruined thanks to LATAM. At this point we start researching alternatives but none of them appeared to be reasonable and the WiFi stopped working for us at Lima's airport. So I called my aunt back in the US who doesn't work for any airline or travel agency to find this 3:50 AM flight. She finds it and books it! Clearly it was not booked!

After my return, I filed a complaint with the airline due to: 1) Poor customer service - the representatives would not assist us in checking in on the electronic machines. 2) Poor customer service - more than one representative lied saying the flight was booked. 3) Misleading booths - Why are there two booths for LATAM at Lima's airport? 4) The flight was closed on the electronic machine prior to 45 minutes to the flight departing.

It took LATAM the entire month of July to review my complaint just for them to respond with a complete disregard for the issue. LATAM has no respect or concern for the customer and would recommend to anyone to never fly them. In result I ended up paying for two plane tickets and my friend had a problem with her return flight being cancelled. It also resulted in us paying an additional $300 each for a flight.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I had full price tickets purchased for my children and I to travel to the US as we are US citizens residing in Chile. About a month before leaving I felt horrible and went to the doctor and found out that I have some problems in my blood work. Now I have a bevy of exams with cancer as the number one concern, and my children, husband and I decided that it was best to continue with the exams and move the date of travel. We contacted customer service but we have to pay an extravagant amount to change the travel date and they won't refund the tickets. I have all of the paperwork and blood work from the doctor and now need to follow up with the hematologist, and the customer service in Latam has been horrible. I just want to move my flights so that I can get better and LATAM customer service could care less.

Original review: June 21, 2017

Wow. I don't even know where to begin. My girlfriends and I saved up for 8 months to go to the Galápagos Islands. I'm a 27 year old who saved every penny to be able to do this vacation. From Guayaquil, Ecuador we were supposed to fly at 11 am on Sunday 6/11. We arrive at 9:30am to be told that the plane left two hours early. Two hours early?? They said they sent us an email, but there were over 30 other passengers who didn't receive an email.

The lady at the check-in counter, who was less than pleasant, told us to wait an hour and come back because they might have a flight on a Monday for the passengers who missed it. If not, we would have to fly out Tuesday. We waited an hour and came back and she simply told us that there was no flight. We were told to go to the ticket booth and change the flight. The lady there told us that the Tuesday flight was now all full (because we were told to wait an hour!!) and that the next flight was Wednesday. We told her absolutely not, we wanted to be flown on Tuesday. She was very nice and found us a flight that flew from Guayaquil to Quito and then finally to Galápagos. We booked that immediately.

When I asked about reimbursement for the hotel that we paid for, they told us to fill out a claim. I filled out a claim on Monday and heard back Tuesday morning. I was happy to hear back so quickly but I received a generic response that thanked me for taking the time to reach out and that was it. I emailed back and said I was looking for someone to call me and talk about the troubles we received.

On Tuesday we flew from Quito and the plane was honestly two feet from the ground on the landing strip on the island and it look back off and flew away!! We received zero communication about what was going on. I (after witnessing the Boston Marathon bombs go off) was very nervous and anxious about my plane being so close to landing and then abruptly taking off. After 15 minutes of ZERO communication from any crew members, I stopped the flight attendant and asked her. She said that it was too windy and we had to fly back. TWO HOURS BACK TO QUITO. Are you kidding me??? I've been on much windier flights. This was ridiculous. We fly two hours back to Quito. Wait for luggage. Wait in line for an hour. Find out that we are going to a hotel for the night and they will bus us back to Quito the next day, Wednesday.

Now, our 7 day vacation has turned to 4. We paid $180 a night for three nights of a hotel we did not stay at. We couldn't see any of the other Islands due to lack of time, so we tried to call to change our flight to take off at the only island we were able to stay at, not the other island that we originally going to leave from. HA. We called countless times. We were put on hold for half hour increments. Hung up on. Lied to. It was amazing. Our Hostel owner tried to call on our behalf and they hung up on him as well. He had countless Latam horror stories to share with us. So we had to pay $30 a person to ride a "ferry" to the other island to catch our plane.

I finally received an email from them today (Monday, 7 days later) stating they received my reply email and would take out ANOTHER claim. Huh?? I called and was transferred to someone rather quickly, but was on hold for the better part of the first 8 minutes. He finally said he couldn't do anything and there wasn't any information he could give me so he would place a new request. I asked him what having a new request would do and he had no idea. I asked to be transferred to the department that handles the claims and he said they don't have a phone. I told him that he could do a new claim but I demanded someone call me tomorrow. I vowed to call back every single day until I receive a solution to the disaster of the first half of my vacation they caused. Only time will tell if I even get to speak to someone in the customer service department who handles these claims. I'm not holding my breath.

Original review: June 6, 2017

LATAM cancelled our flights (2 of us) and booked us on a flight 6 hours earlier. I absolutely CANNOT make the flight 6 hours earlier. Although I will get my money back from LATAM, I will not be able to get the money that I lost on the connecting flight. So they completely ruined my itinerary. Customer service was of NO help.

Never again!

Original review: June 5, 2017

I travel a lot and I deal with airlines a lot too, but dealing with this one has been the worst possible experience. I have called the so-called 'Help Center' to be 'helped' in my request, changing of dates of my return ticket, and after dealing with at least 15 useless 'executives' as they are called, putting on long holds, none of them have come with a resolution, please stay away from LATAM. They are not prepared to deal with complaints and requests, they are only prepared to get as much money as possible from you and with the worst attitude.

Original review: May 19, 2017

On Flight 4363 May 1st returning from Bogota to Miami, just as we are arrived in Miami, the crew member stated they were fumigating the plane, and that this had no side effect and was considered to be safe to all. Not so, I started to feel scratchy throat, and other passengers cough as well. It is May 19 today, I have been out of work for 3 weeks, was diagnosed with severe allergic reaction to spray used. It burned my sinus and respiratory track, I had asthma, sores in my sinus and developed pneumonia from it. I tried to find out why this was done, it is not a requirement to do this in the United States, but so far I have gotten nowhere with different transportation departments. Consumers be aware! This practice can kill people! Read article on USA today, Neurological Disinsecticides, people need to be inform. I will never fly this Airline again! Customer service is the worst.

Original review: May 16, 2017

Purchased tickets from CHEAPTICKETS.COM to visit Chile with my wife using LATAM Airlines. Since I am Chilean I thought I should patronize LAN CHILE. When I went to choose seats, I found out my flight was switched to AMERICAN Airline. The kicker is these ** (American Airline) charged me $450.00 in addition for the seats in their plane. I am very disappointed about the bait-and-switch deal. I cannot change this now, but I am very disappointed about LAN CHILE and the bait-and-switch game they played.

LATAM Airlines Company Information