2. Travel
  3. Airlines

4.1/5 (94 ratings)

About SWISS International Air Lines

SWISS International Air Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SWISS International Air Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SWISS International Air Lines?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I flew with Swiss Airlines on Aug 4 from Tel Aviv to San Francisco via Zurich. Since I was dreading the possibility of sitting in a center seat flanked by two strangers during the COVID pandemic, I purchased reserved seating to ensure an aisle seat on both flights. The reservation, for which I paid 70 US dollars, was made already in May. Shortly before the flight Swiss sent me an email informing me that they changed my seat assignment. They did not disclose the position of the reassigned seat, but wrote that they have done their “utmost to assign an adequate seat”. When I boarded the plane, I discovered that they have placed me in a center seat, flanked by two strangers who did not keep their masks on – exactly the scenario I was trying to avoid.

On the official SWISS airlines website of (https://www.swiss.com/gr/en/customer-support/faq/seat-reservation) I see the following: "Might SWISS change the seat I reserve in advance, later on? If SWISS has to change your seat reservation, e.g. due to a short-notice change to the aircraft type used, SWISS will do its best to automatically reserve you a new seat in the seat category you have booked. If it is not possible to reserve an equal seat for you, you may apply to receive a Refund of the charge online."

Upon arriving to my destination, I filed a request for a refund. I was answered 11 days later by a customer feedback consultant named Ilisapeci **. She flatly refused my claim. When I politely pointed to her that the official website states that I am entitled to a refund she gave this rude answer: “SWISS has responded adequately in your case. I therefore trust in your understanding that this message reflects our final position and that this file is now considered closed.” I was shocked by her response, and asked her for contact information for her supervisor, which she completely ignored. I then tried calling the US customer service phone number. I tried twice, but gave up after waiting for 60 minutes each time. This airline has the worst customer service I encountered in a long time.

Original review: July 16, 2021

It was terrible, why doesn't Swiss Airlines quit running business. They are immoral and criminal. I booked Swiss Airlines ticket from Sarajevo to NewYork on June. When I went to the check-in counter in Sarajevo airport to check in for my flight back to New York. I presented all of my documents and Negative PCR test document which tested within 72 hours.

The staff in the Swiss airline refused to give me a boarding pass. They said they had a problem and did not want to give me boarding pass. I asked them to solve problem, they said it was not their responsibility to help customer, instead, they asked policemen to catch me. I never met this kind of discrimination before. I am your customer. I paid money to buy Swiss Airlines ticket, but the staff from Swiss Airlines asked policemen to catch their customer.

I need to go back to New York on time. At the end I had to buy other high price flight ticket to back to NYC. I never encounter this horrible event during my life and never heard these words “It was not their responsibility to help the customer” from other airline. I lost my money and time. I got physical and mental hurt from Swiss Airlines. Note all customer who had bad experience with Swiss Airlines, the best way to get refund is to inform directly your bank to block transfer or to help refund payment if you bought ticket by credit card. Don't waste your time asking Swiss Airlines for a refund because they won't give you want. Hope Swiss Airlines will go out of business soon to avoid hurting more people. They are evil. And don't buy flight ticket from Mytrip agency. Both of them are evil and will hurt you.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I had booked flights from Melbourne to London leaving December 2020, however COVID-19 hit in Feb resulting in all internal flights being grounded and cancelled. I called Swiss Air in August inquiring about a possible refund given that we CANNOT travel anywhere. was told refund will be provided according to ticket conditions which would mean getting $452 out of a $1511 ticket, otherwise I can call back at the end of the Feb for a rebooking. Called back end of Feb and was told to call back end of March but in the mean time was told if i was not satisfied with this to write an email to their complaints team. Did that and was sent back the exact same response, no resolution.

Called back end of March and was pretty much told the same thing, ticket cannot be fully refunded unless Swiss Air cancel the flight but they won't because there are flights leaving in April and May. Told them there was a very specific reason i booked for the end of the year (being a full-time student and also working full time), also WE CANNOT LEGALLY FLY ANYWHERE BECAUSE THERE IS A PANDEMIC HAPPENING! Apparently that was not a justifiable reason to cancel flights and issue a refund.

Was told to contact Cathay Pacific who were handling the first leg of the flight to see if they can cancel, Cathay said they will only cancel if Swiss cancel considering they are the primary holders of the booking. Swiss were not having any of it! Was told to call back end of May 2021 to rebook for the end of the year (if Pandemic conditions change) but even if they don't, original ticket rules apply (still no full refund). Had to just give in at the end and lose a $1,059. Hands down the worst experience I've ever had with any airline and will DEFINITELY NOT use their services again.

Original review: July 29, 2020

In Sept 2019 my wife & I booked and paid for return tickets from Heathrow to Capetown, departing on 19 March 2020 returning 28 April 2020. On 17th March Swiss Air e-mailed us to say our flight had been cancelled due to coronavirus. The travel agents have been trying to get some form of commitment from Swiss Air as to when we can expect to be refunded, all to no avail. The Travel agent this afternoon advised us that they will be refunded after 6 mths. from date of flight!

I am sure we are not the only ones with this problem and feel that such unethical actions should not be allowed to continue. If Swiss air do make the refunds, they will of had use of our money, and that of others for a minimum of six mths. interest free. I am writing this complaint not only to express my utter disgust with Swiss air's total lack of ethics, but also in the hope that it will help others from being involved in such shameless exploitation. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

Attempted to cancel a flight for a family of 4, youngest member 8 months old, to Italy, in light of coronavirus. February 25th 2020. Coronavirus number in Italy went from 3 people to over 500 in 4 days. Flight outbound LAX ZRH FCO. Cdc placed italy on a level 2 alert. The only country at level 1 was China. Went to website. No phone number. No email address. Used a web form. Nothing. Repeated x 2. Nothing. Found a phone number. Called. "Too busy, we'll call you back." Waited 24 hours. Zero calls back. Called again. Held for a while. Spoke to someone. No refund possible. No supervisor available to escalate to. Called back again. Supervisor!! Asked for the reasons cancelling a reservation and refund to the current hotspot the coronavirus was "not possible?" He hung up on me. Literally hung up. Click.

Karma. We dont check in, we dont board. The flight leaves, develops mechanical problems, diverts back to departure airport, and is cancelled. We are issued a refund. Not because they wanted to. But because the plane mechanically failed. This is a soulless enterprise. You are not their customer, you are a provider of cash to fund their profit. Customer service is offshored. They read off scripts. And apparently hanging up on you is in the script. They are not in the EU so are not subject to typical EU laws that make others behave more humanely towards customers. They will not survive for long; such hubris and incompetence is typically met with a commensurate downfall. Do not fly them. Do not consider flying them. If this prevents one family from making the mistake of trusting SWISS, then the time writing this review has been well spent.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I recently booked a flight with Swiss Airlines and, due to unforeseen circumstances, had to cancel very soon after. I had no problem gaining a refund from the travel agency I booked through, however Swiss airlines would not refund the additional baggage I purchased on their website. So I have spent over 75chf on baggage I will not use. Come on, refund your customers. Poor.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I was booking a flight from Skopje to Geneva with Swiss Airlines on their official website. They charged my Visa Card, but did not issue me a booking reference. I called their customer service, they were rude, unhelpful and impolite. I wrote them several e-mails and they have been keeping me on hold for almost a week. In the meantime the prices of the flights have gone up. They are saying they will most probably return my money, but they ignored me completely when I mentioned the increased price of the flights that I need to rebook. Meanwhile, I am still waiting to hear from the customer service when they are going to return my money (if they do at all). They behave like it is my fault for what happened, very frustrating!!!! I am reporting a fraud to my bank tomorrow and I will never use Swiss Air again! Never!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I was on 2 Swiss Airline flights from Madrid to Zurich and Zurich to Singapore. I booked business class seats for both flights and the food was terrible. Only offer was fish which I dont eat and was told by the steward that there was nothing else so I was so angry paying for business class and no food to eat.

Original review: July 23, 2019

My wife and I traveled Budapest-Zurich-Delhi. Swiss re-routed us at Zurich (they had delayed Budapest-Zurich flight and we missed the connection) Zurich-Copenhagen-Delhi by Air India. My 2 bags did not arrive and were delivered 2 and 3 days later. For compensation Swiss pushes me to Air India and AI says they cannot compensate me because I do not have an Air India ticket. What a pathetic state of affairs. We had traveled business class. Never again with these horrible set of people.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Awful detained luggage, at the airport they said they would refund the purchase of first-aid goods I bought for $ 15, and we wrote to a manager and rude without damages! I have been chatting for a week now. In response, silence! I am writing to the country office and Instagram, silence! Terribly disgusting, lies and rudeness.

SWISS International Air Lines Company Information