2. Travel
  3. Airlines

4.0/5 (51 ratings)

About SWISS International Air Lines

SWISS International Air Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SWISS International Air Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SWISS International Air Lines?

Original review: March 29, 2019

I flew with Swiss from Zurich to Bangkok, a 12 hour flight. The service was extremely poor. Apart from a dinner meal service about 1.5 hours into the flight, and a breakfast service shortly before landing, there was absolutely no service for approximately 9 hours. No one came to offer drinks or service of any kind! No stewardess or steward could be seen. Incredible.

On top of this, a stewardess stepped on my glasses which had fallen to the floor in my sleep. They were damaged beyond repair. The stewardess gave me a damage claim form to fill out. She never came back to collect the form, until I complained after several hours. Three weeks later, I had not heard anything about my claim for damages. I wrote to the Swiss "customer service". After days I received a reply saying "Swiss thinks that it was your fault for letting your glasses fall to the floor. Therefore we pay only 50% of the cost."

I complained that this is ridiculous, that the stewardess broke the glasses, not me. What is even more incredible, the glasses had only a value of less than $50. Swiss airlines is obviously so cheap that it wants to save $25 in compensating a passenger for negligence in Swiss's employee's behaviour! Incredible how incredibly cheap, insulting and insensitive this airline is to its customers!

I complained further that this was not right. The response from SWISS was effectively "We don't care what you want. Take the money we offer, or shut-up." This is incredibly insulting. Incredibly poor customer service. I would recommend to everyone that you DO NOT fly SWISS airlines. With such terrible customer service, you could have a terrible experience, as I did.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

We purchased seats on a flight from Zurich to Montreal. In Prague we received an email that our flight to Zurich was delayed and we would miss our flight out of Zurich and therefore we were rerouted via Munich. No problem, but we tried to get a refund for the seats we paid for and through no fault of ours we couldn’t use. It’s not a lot of money as compared to some complaints, but for over a year I have not been able to speak or receive any emails back. In North America, no agent will talk with you regarding customer service. There is 1 phone #, and that is for buying tickets or changing tickets. Any complaints and you have to email, but...I have tried and every time my session runs out and I have to start over. They are not interest in hearing any complaints, and I sure won’t fly them ever again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I tried to make online reservation for 2 adults and 1 infant but I am not able to purchase a seat for my infant. I called the customer service and was told I need to make my 2 adult reservation online and call to add a seat for my infant. I did so (after many times of failed attempt due to their system error) and called, I waited and got disconnected several times and finally got to speak to someone. At first, the rep did not hear my request clearly but added an infant on lap. I restated and she cancelled it and added a seat for my baby with a fare that is higher than an adult. It makes no sense to me and she said she has added a higher class of seat. I told her I want the same class of mine and she made the correction. It ended up costing $10 more than a full adult fare because of there is a $10 fee for booking by phone. It is not reasonable since I was not able to do it online.

Ok, fine, I can pay for that just want to finish the booking and not want to deal with the customer service anymore. She finally finished making the reservation for me, but instead of adding her to my reservation, it is a separate reservation for my baby. I was worry about not being treated as a family or not able to sit together or anything goes wrong. I just feel unsecured to have my baby on a separate reservation on her own. She said I can pay extra to select seats in order to make sure we can sit together. This is ridiculous!

She said we can not be on the same reservation because we are not booking at the same time! I have flew with other airlines and they added my baby to my reservation with no problem. It is their fault for not being able to book a seat for infant online. She offered cancelling all my reservations and asked me to go online and purchase it again, with faking a date of birth of my baby (make it above 2 years old), then call back to change the DOB. The whole thing is ridiculous. My conclusion is SWISS does not care of their customer and does not care your business. The system and staff they have are so outdated and not human.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Went to visit the family in Switzerland, my last name in my ticket wasn’t the same as my last name in my passport. Did my part, sent them all my legal documents. An agent told me everything will be okay. Just present my Marriage Contract, but that didn’t happen. Had a lot of troubles in the airport. To make things worst I am with my 2 year old daughter. Called and filed complaint but never heard anything from them. Really unacceptable service. Talked to a lot of agents doesn’t even know what they’re doing. Not going to recommend this Airline.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Purchased roundtrip ticket with connecting flights. Half way home at MUC airport I learned SWISS cancelled my last connecting confirmed flight home, without my knowledge, consent, notification. Had to buy another ticket. Mortified! Unfair! Money stealer! Traumatized!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Been traveling for over 45 years. Worst airline that I ever traveled in. Extremely tight seating and worst possible customer service. Without going any further take my advice... Avoid a major headache. DO NOT TRAVEL WITH SWISS AIR. You will be very disappointed.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Really really really pissed off after paying $270 cause the overweight on my baggage on flight number LX 8005, and flight number LX 0238 going from Florida to Cairo Egypt, went at the airport and bought a bag to be able to take my flight cause my bag was 3 pound overweight. So I paid. Took my 24 hours flight and after I landed at my final destination... My 3 baggage was not there and the super rude SWISS airlines agent said, "It's okay. Your bags are not here so go file a lost claim then we will deliver it to you when it will be here within a week." My whole trip is 2 weeks. All my clothes and all my money even my wallet is in my bags!!! I don't know what to do!!! Will never recommend it and I will sue for sure!!!

Updated on 07/14/2018: Went to a trip from June 25th till July 13th... flew and came back from Egypt to Tampa FL. I paid $280 cause my luggage were overweight when I checked them on the boarding. My trip is over, came back and still haven’t seen my three bags till now, not in Egypt not in Tampa. Thanks cause you ruined my vacation and made me stay at the hospital for four days cause of my medication which was in my bag. Went to Cairo airport begging for my medication and they always said, "It’s not our fault cause the bags still in Zurich." I emailed SWISS Airlines and called and still saying, "We are doing our best!" I already spoke with an attorney and we shall see. Will NEVER recommend it.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Today I learned something new. SWISS Air Line told if I want to upgrade my flight I had to go to their counter at the airport. The staff was rude, sent me in various directions, going back to their counter. Then said, "No you cannot," so I asked for name and that I would speak to the HQ. That was refused so I said, "Well let me then take a picture," (which I do not), however the person dove behind her counter and said (excuse me for the words), "You filthy **." So will I fly with them ever again? Mhhhh dont think so.

Original review: April 2, 2018

We booked flights to Zurich two months in advance. A day before our flight my husband came down with the flu and had 101 degree temperature. Our doctor prescribed ** (and told us he would provide a letter stating that my husband was very sick with the flu, 101 degree temperature and highly contagious). We tried to contact SWISS International Air Lines the night before and sent a copy of the actual prescription medication. We sent letters to the CEO in Zurich and the US. They responded once saying that they won’t do anything for our lost flights even though we stated that we would pay the $300/ticket change fee and any difference in fairs for future flights.

Swiss Air Lines doesn't care that he was contagious and we lost our entire amount of our tickets. We have tried emailing them back and NO RESPONSE. This is OUTRAGEOUS. Our friends had similar experiences with Delta and American and they were given a year to change their tickets. Swiss Air Lines gives you NOTHING and still NO RESPONSE to our emails. DON’T USE THEM – (United and Delta are much better choices for non-stop from NY – they care about their passengers).

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Thanks for the birthday gift from Swiss Intl Airlines. I was denied boarding at JFK airport and forced to buy connecting flight with Emirates (from Dubai to New Delhi). I was told that I have to have Dubai visa in advance even I told them that I will be taking baggage transfer only (at Dubai airport) and not enter Dubai (I showed my connecting flight tickets with Indigo from Dubai to New Delhi).

But staff refused to even acknowledge the Indigo Airlines and laughed at it saying "what is Indigo". After this, staff said I have to get visa for Dubai and I can't take baggage transfer at all, so I also showed the staff documents stating that if I have a valid US visa and I am an Indian citizen then I can get visa on arrival (as they were forcing me to exit the airport at Dubai).

I also shared information about my friend's tickets (Names are Dhruv ** and Shatadiya **) and documents who traveled with the same Swiss flight day before I and Swiss let them go and Dhruv ** took on arrival visa and Shatadiya ** took baggage transfer. After an hour-long discussion, Swiss staff at JFK forced me to buy Emirates ticket from Dubai to Delhi and only then let me board the flight.

The behavior of the staff at JFK was really rude, even the staff manager (a lady) was so rude that instead of listening to my problem and help me she told me on my face that I can't travel at all. This whole incident cost me (a student) 1000$. After reaching Dubai, I took normal baggage transfer and traveled with Indigo to New Delhi. (I didn't have to take any visa but due to Swiss air staff's arrogance at JFK I faced serious discomfort which also costs me 1000$). This was really a bad experience with people from Swiss Air, I will recommend all of my friends to not travel with Swiss now on and I will do that too. I will also post my reviews everywhere online so nobody else has to face the rudeness of Swiss staff.

After more than a month I got an email saying all the lies of SWISS ground staff at JFK that I forced them to check in my baggage till Delhi and that is why they forced me to buy a ticket with Emirates as they don't have any pact with Indigo Airlines. First of all I never asked for my baggage to be checked in till Delhi (I am uploading a ticket where I checked in my own baggage before going to airport for weighing them at counter and it shows that I checked in my baggages till Dubai only). Instead they said that I only have that choice, secondly if they don't have any pact with any airlines that how come it's a problem of customer? They should have handled that. The resolution provided was just mere a formality for the sake of providing it.

SWISS International Air Lines Company Information