3.74/5

64 SWISS International Air Lines Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

Absolutely poor experience with Swiss on the following route: Moscow - Geneva - Marrakech. The crew were really lazy, arrogant and unprofessional: they refused to speak to you in English, using only French, even if it was clear you are not a fluent French speaker. Most of them never smiled and had very superior attitude to them. Shockingly, the crew on Moscow - Geneva flight have decided it was okay to go, lie down, cover themselves in blankets and have a nap right on the passengers' seats without taking their shoes off after very rushed service. Blankets were never offered to any of the passengers.

Food is lacking both in quality and presentation and gives off a strong "low cost" feel to the experience, though it is quite tasty. On the way back from Morocco the experience was just horrendous: they stuffed everyone into the plane and right after that they told us that it's snowing in Geneva, so we'll be staying in the ground for about two hours. No one bothered even thinking about letting us out of the plane, serving food or apologizing.

Geneva itself is a disastrous airport, and the transit was very poorly organized with the staff keeping the transit passengers, some of which had sick infants, in the area without toilets, power outlets or vending machines for 1.5 hours with no explanation. They were also refusing for some time to call a nurse to the sick child, which is absolutely shocking! Flight to Moscow was then delayed by almost 3 hours with zero information and/or apologies, while all the airport Swiss staff were having a nice chat and laughing. I have never thought Swiss is such a poor and low-quality carrier, and the whole experience, while not so cheap, was ever so negative and stressful. Never again.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2016

Swiss removed their telephone customer service numbers a few months back and now expect all complaints to go via email or the post. Obviously when you're trying to resolve a problem this makes it very difficult to contact anyone. Not that contacting Swiss customer service will do you any good; they might as well be ex. directory. I've had several issues with Swiss in the last 12 months, and really the only way this is going to get better is to drive them out of business so a new company serving Switzerland can be formed.

Here's an example of Swiss customer service: their flight out of London City was delayed by an hour-plus. In the meantime, out of the same terminal, flights to London Heathrow were taking off half-empty. Requesting I take the a Heathrow flight to get to my meeting on time, the desk agent tells me "Swiss will never let you" (they know what Swiss is like - useless). Sure enough, I'm left stranded in Geneva while half-empty Swiss flights leave for Heathrow.

When I complain to customer service, I'm sent "We're so sorry the flight was delayed. We have to consider safety first/the weather was bad/the incoming flight was late..." Yada, yada, yada. No attempt to explain why I wasn't allowed to take an earlier flight. Hopeless. You might as well complain to your pet hamster (if you have one).

Original review: Jan. 2, 2016

My ZRH-SG flight rebooking was done wrongly and I did not realise it until I tried to do the check in (return flight). I wanted to fly on Sunday night from SG and arrive on Monday morning in ZRH. I was booked to fly on Monday night instead, arriving on Tuesday morning. When I called the helpdesk and after waiting for a long time to be connected to an agent, I was told I have to pay rebooking fees for the second time according to the policy!?! The agent said it was my fault as I have not checked the rebooking confirmation and I have already took the flight out to SG on 10 Dec.

I admit it's my bad and I just noticed 4 Jan and assumed that's the date I arrive in ZRH (Monday). I was put on hold and the agent confirmed with his manager it's absolutely my fault and I have to pay the rebooking fees. When I said I'm not going to pay, the agent said the Sunday flight I wanted is fully booked. I requested to hear the voicelog for the rebooking changes anyway and I was told that it seems like I'm unsure about my rebooking, hinting once again it's my fault (yes, that's 'exceptional' customer service).

When I said I'm sure that I asked to arrive on Mon morning, like my original flight, I was told the voice record is deleted but when I asked how long the records are kept in general the agent was unable to answer me. The call I made for rebooking was end July/early Aug so it has not even been 6months!! There was no customer service to speak of! There was no proactive help offered at all when I called to inform them of the mistake and the inconvenience caused. The only 'help' received from the agent was directing me to lodge a complaint on Swiss.com when I asked what can I do.

Before the call ended, the agent wished me a restful flight so I can go to work recharged on Monday morning and I had to correct him that I'll be landing on Tuesday, thanks to the rebooking mistake! I wonder if he was the one who made the rebooking mistake in the first place... I feel that there is just blame shifting to the customer so as to suck out more money from the customer whenever possible. This incident will certainly deter me from flying with Swiss in the future, unless I receive a satisfactory explanation from Swiss (I've lodged a complaint).

Original review: Nov. 23, 2015

Everyone knows the security situation in Europe and that the capital cities in Europe like London are not safe, especially after the recent attacks there. We also know that the situation isn't something that Swiss can guarantee and therefore we wish to play safe as we don't want to expose ourselves to a potentially risky environment. We called in the customer contact centre in Singapore to request that we forego the Zurich - London - Zurich legs of the flight [Ref: We were informed that if we skipped these 2 legs our ZURICH SINGAPORE return would automatically get cancelled and that the team in Singapore has "no control" over this.

Given that we are simply foregoing 2 legs and Swiss can potentially even resell these tickets, I find it nonsensical to receive such an inconsiderate response especially given the circumstances within which we are requesting this. We need someone to provide a more sensible and considerate response to this! SwissAir response sounds like they place even a human consideration now in the hands of a machine throwing the rulebook at me to say why they cannot think beyond their stupid reasoning. Swissair customer service sucks. Don't fly Swiss.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

I had a flight from TEl Aviv to Zurich in a small old plane, couldn't move... I took the connection in Zurich to San Francisco and again a bigger plane but very very tight sitting no place to my feet or almost no room to stand up in between... When arrived , my suitcase has not arrived and Hopefully it will... I'm taking important medications and I'm staying abroad for 2 month and my pills are in my luggage and all my cloth, jewelry and presents too...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SWISS International Air Lines?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

Swiss Air is as bad as Ryan Air! Trying to rip you off any chance they get! I bought their ticket online completely oblivious to the fact that I'm not allowed luggage (because it was a third party site), it did not mention the fact I'm not allowed luggage. I travelled with a baby and baby wasn't entitled any bag either (although their website claims babies are entitled 1 bag regardless of travel class).

I only found out when I rang them to check my luggage allowance. They said both baby and I are not allowed any luggage! So I asked them to buy an additional bag and gave them my card details to purchase it. However they never mentioned it was only one way! When I was checking in for my return flight I was charged another 30 euros to return the bag back!! They conveniently forgot to mention that I was paying only one way (you would think they would at least mention it) and slapped me with a massive fee on the way back. Also beware if you are buying a Swiss Air ticket via web or a third party, they never mention the fact that you're not allowed any luggage.

Also their staff forgot to check me in for my connecting flight which was a nightmare because I didn't know which gates to go to and their transfer desk at Zurich Airport was empty. They also forgot to link the baby to my flight so I had a lot of problems checking in. However they didn't forget to charge me the additional fee for the one and only bag I made the trip with!

Original review: July 10, 2015

I flew from DME to SDF through Zurich and Chicago. The flight from Zurich to Chicago was with Swiss Air on 6/30/15, which was about an 11 hour flight. The plane had no air vents, no air conditioning running. It was 85F, humid and stuffy on that plane. If I knew I was going to be stuck for 11 hours with no air conditioning on a hot and humid flight, I would have bought a different ticket. By the time I landed in Chicago, my blood pressure was up and I had a horrible migraine. If you are going to have a non-functioning plane, you really shouldn't have people flying on it.

Original review: July 10, 2015

On a flight from Zurich to Barcelona on 15 May 2015, Swiss Air manages to lose my suitcase. Following the procedures with immediately report to 'lost and found'. I was after several phone calls to Swiss Air Staff, talking with what I would describe as incompetent staff, I was informed to submit the 'Claims Report'. Waiting the mandatory 22 days till the airliner try and find your stuff, elapsed. My Claims was not met 100% but at level that I accepted. I was then on 15 June (one month after reporting the loss), informed by email from Swiss air customer services, that my claim would be paid within the maximum time of 3 weeks. It is almost 4 weeks now and I still have not seen a single cent of my claim.

For me, Swiss Air should be shameful. First the lost luggages, then take 22 days to look for (probably never did) as it has gone missing right in front of their nose. Worse is that after many phone calls and emails, that Swiss air never reply too. You still have got nothing. I my views the airliner is arrogant and incompetent handling customers claims. They take pride in comparing themselves with even worse airlines, as I was one explained by one of their reps, who told me that other airlines take up to a year!

Original review: May 22, 2015

On May 15, 2015 Swiss International's flight LX052 flew from Zurich to Boston with all economy-seat armrests "stuck" in a 45-degree angle. It was hard and uncomfortable to get in and out fast. When I asked them, Flight attendants couldn't explain the reason for this.

Original review: April 6, 2015

I have purchased 2 tickets to Tanzania. Swiss Air have taken money from my account and have taken the same amount which is still pending. We are calling them every day, always the same story - "call next day." Can't even talk with the manager or with someone who is responsible for it. They are completely useless, no customer service whatsoever. This is just simply theft. It has been already a week. Worse airlines EVER!!! NEVER EVER AGAIN!!! And who gonna pay for my phone calls to them!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2015

I purchased 2x return flights from LHR - ZRH. I have paid the flights and a small amendment fee, however they are holding the same amount via Visa. So I am unable to access over £350 of my money. My bank has been extremely helpful and given me all info to pass on to Swiss. Swiss International tickets have been rude, unpleasant and sniggered at me down the phone. There was one nice person whom gave me an email address but no one as yet has replied. The girl today said she would personally call me later today..... it's now 8 pm. Now I want to cancel everything and at the moment they have £721.11 of my money!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2014

Horrible airline. I flew several times in their business class. Very poor service with arrogant and unfriendly crew. Customer service is non existing. I wrote a letter to their CEO, Mr Harry Hochmeister but I've never received a reply. The head of customer service based in Zurich is arrogant and with a complete lack of skills.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2014

My husband and I were booked on Swiss from Valencia to Prague with a change of aircraft in Zurich. Our initial flight was at lunchtime and initially delayed for about 30 minutes, then another 2 hours and then indefinitely. After 3 hours delay we were entitled to refreshments and were given 2 vouchers of 10 euros each. Of course we know 10 euros buys you almost nothing at an airport. About 5 hours after our initial departure time we were sent an sms saying our flight is cancelled and we will be put on another special flight at 3:30 am. This was over 12 hours after my scheduled flight. Of course my connecting flight was gone, but since I was booked on Swiss on the same ticket they would rebook me, but I'd only get details in Zurich. I lost the money for 1 night's hotel stay in Prague and the taxi that I had booked. We were given accommodation in Valencia for the night but no dinner.

On our flight we were only served nuts and water as opposed to a light meal. Since we had a considerable wait in Zurich and would only get to Prague at lunch time we had to buy our own breakfast in Zurich. Also we should get about 250 euros per person for the cancellation. On our return we put in our claims as suggested by the Swiss officials at Valencia airport on departure. Swiss denied all claims saying it was an extraordinary circumstance. At the airport we were told it's a technical problem. I've browsed several websites and it seems Swiss gives the same excuse to all. Also according to regulations technical snags and maintenance is not categorised as extraordinary circumstances. So disappointed!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2014

I was expecting to go from dxb to mad passing by zrh in a trip that will take maximum 9hr and 50 mins. Unfortunately there was a problem with the airplane and total no of hours the trip took was more than 24hrs. No compensation were given. After arriving in mad, my luggage were lost and after 48hrs of waiting in Mad the luggages were found. The trip back from Barcelona to zrh was also delayed for issues in the flight. I will never and ever use this airline neither going to recommend it to any.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2014

I booked a return flight with Swiss Air and on the week before I was due to travel, I realized I needed to change my outbound flight so phoned Swiss Air to see what could be done. It turned out to be more expensive than my whole return flights to change it, so I phoned Swiss Air a second time and asked if I could cancel the outbound leg, but keep the return leg, to then going to book the outbound 1 way via a different airline that had more flexible times. The man I spoke to told me it will cost more to cancel 1 leg so best I just miss the flight and forfeit the outbound, but still catch the return as planned. The man advised me that this was my best option.

Whilst on holidays a few days before I was due to return home, my partner went to check-in online for both of us but found my ticket had been cancelled. We called Swiss Air to which they replied my ticket had been cancelled because I missed the first leg. I explained that this is what I had been advised to do and had discussed this with a Swiss Air representative, to which they replied that they had no record of my call. I told the representative that I can prove that I made the call by showing my call logs and they said that because they didn't have the call recorded they will not honor the ticket. They indicated that normally their calls are recorded but this must have been a breakdown in their processes. They then offered me a 1-way ticket for double the price that I paid for my return ticket to be on that plane. The staff who spoke to me on the phone were extremely rude, asking me if I was "done yet" and telling me that there is no issue with their system and being a global company cannot account for every call that they receive.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2014

My sister was traveling to Tanzania and she was late in boarding her flight and hence she missed it. So she asked the staff if she could get on an alternative flight or a change where they were very rude and started shouting and screaming at her especially when I called and explained how vulnerable she is and she was traveling to come and see our critical and very poorly father who was in intensive care unit!! Also the ridiculous thing was that the flight was also delayed by 10 mins and also the aircraft was not even ready for shutting the doors!!!

They lied to her asking her to go and get her luggage and they would help her in changing the tickets for free so when she got back they directly refused and humiliated her by shouting and screaming at her until she had a panic attack and asthma attack from their unacceptable attitude where my sister kept on begging and requesting them for a change calmly... The staff kept on humiliating her just because I made a complaint against them. I am taking this case further as due to their humiliation and unacceptable behavior, my sister had to call an ambulance and end up in the hospital.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2014

I booked a round trip flight from Boston to Istanbul through Expedia. I took to Swiss to Turkey and transferred from Zurich with no problem. On the way back though I was supposed to travel with Aircanada. When I went to checkin they cancelled my flight because I do not have a Canada visa. I have had connecting flight through Europe several times before and never heard of a visa for transfer country. Aircanada does not take responsibility and claims that Swiss is the hosting airline. Swiss airline blames it all on me. They just left me there at the airport, no matter how much I tried to explain my situation they did not offer me another flight with free of charge. I slept two days at the airport, spent hours on international phone calls and had to buy a new ticket with a different airline which cost me twice as much as my round trip. If I was missing a visa for my final destination, I would take the full responsibility, but for a transferring flight I don't think it is fair to put all the blame on me. NEVER EVER SWISS AGAIN!!!

Original review: July 13, 2014

On January 31st, 2014, my family booked 4 seats from Malaga to Boston at SWISS AIR flights LX 2111, LX 52, LX 53 and LX 2114 for an overall amount of 2,311.04 EUR. Finally we could not flight, so we phoned them advising from this fact and we were simply said that the ticket did not allowed any change, but were not informed that the return flights were going to be cancelled because of this. We had to buy new tickets with SWISS AIR for 3,417.28 EUR, leaving three days later. Now, we find that the first flights we bought are void, not valid any more.

Imagine: you buy two flights and loses the second because you did not fly on the first one. This of course, was properly hidden in the terms of service. So they can sell again the same seats, earning twice the benefit. Would you trust a company that plays this kind of unfair play? They call it the NO-SHOW policy and it's for sure, I will never SHOW again in their webpage or desk. Visit swissbreaksreturns.com to know how many others have been cheated by SWISS AIR.

Original review: June 23, 2014

My wife and I arrived Zurich on LX 155 from Mumbai on 15th June 2014 and directly went to arrival lounge at about 0650 hours. There were very few people in lounge and we kept our bags, my briefcase and my wife's handbag and went to food counter to get some juice and breads. When we returned back to our sofa (in less than 3 to 5 minutes) we were shocked to find that someone had entered the lounge stolen my briefcase and my wife's handbag and run away from the lounge.

Police were called when we raised the alarm and said that there were no CCTV cameras in lounge anywhere so they could not see the person who took it. There is inadequate security in this lounge as it has two entrances and there is no barrier for anyone to enter the lounge. We intend to sue the airline if they do not make good our loss of passports, cash, laptop, credit cards, rail passes, etc worth over USD 10000. Business passengers are advised to be very careful to ever enter this lounge at Zurich airport.

Original review: April 2, 2014

I arrived at Valencia Airport, Spain 4 minutes after the check-in desk closed for the 14:40 to Zurich with a connection to Budapest and they would not allow me on the flight. I then purchased a ticket FROM the SWISS desk for Lufthansa that was leaving at 14:50 as I had to desperately be in Budapest that day. The Lufthansa check-in desk stayed open for me. This ticket cost me another €544. When I arrived at Budapest, I checked on my return flight that they had cancelled it as I had not made the outgoing flight. WHAT KIND OF AIRLINE IS THIS? I had paid for it! They even make Ryanair look good. I therefore had to repurchase a return ticket Budapest-Zurich-Valencia. My initial ticket cost was €279 trip eventually cost over €1000. I would never use them again and would advise others to avoid also.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2013

I booked two tickets to Zurich from Johannesburg, and went through the complicated credit card procedure that SWISS require. I phoned to ensure that the retainer (holding amount) would be unblocked once the payment went through. SWISS has now charged me for my tickets and additionally charged to my account an amount which works out to even more than my tickets purchased (I was notified by the fraud department of my bank that funds had been deducted). They have been dragging their feet since the 19th of October and I have still not been refunded. My time has been wasted on numerous calls and emails, time which I do not have as I am leaving in two days' time...out of pocket of a considerable amount of money. SWISS even sent me an email claiming they had resolved the problem and I could retrieve my funds. Totally untrue, they are still in possession of it. No one at their offices seems to know why. They even had the cheek to deduct a refund fee off my account when I never received one!

This is absolutely appalling business ethics. I am completely floored at the lack of service and blatant disregard to such a serious matter. If I had known that SWISS Airlines conducted their business like a backyard company, I would never have dealt with them. Furthermore, I would have flown another airline, which in my opinion are much better priced, more comfortable and their service has to date been excellent. The only reason I did not was to avoid a layover, but this inconvenience is far worse than waiting a couple of hours to catch a connecting flight.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2013

On March 7, 2013, Expedia booked flights for us with Swiss from Phoenix, AZ to Zurich, Switzerland, returning October 8. The Itinerary read that we were to leave Zurich at 1:05 pm, arriving in San Francisco at 4:15 pm, leaving San Francisco at 7:16 , arriving in Phoenix at 9:12 pm. On June 7, Expedia notified us that the 7:16 pm flight was canceled and we had to take a 23:41 pm flight to Phoenix, meaning we had to wait over 5 hours for the flight to Phoenix and that in addition to a 12-hour transatlantic flight.

After 25 years flying with Delta, this has never happened to us. We gave Swiss a try because departure time in Zurich was more convenient than departure with Delta, but it was a bad mistake. In addition, leg room was very skimpy and we are not tall. The people behind us asked us to straighten the back of our chair so that they could use the table to eat. We will never fly Swiss again.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2013

My wife and I flew from Zurich to Boston on 9/9/2013. It was an 8-hour flight. The seats were absolutely terrible! We sat on the side of the plane. she had the window and I had the aisle. The aisle arm rest was fixed hence could not be raised or lowered. The person in the seat in front of me reclined his seat for the entire 8-hour journey. There was perhaps 6 to 10 inches of space to get out of one's seat to use the rest room or whatever. One had to essentially "leg it" up over the fixed arm rest to get out of the seat. There is no way a heavy/large person is going to enjoy that seat! Even a moderately-sized person will experience the problem.

I am 6 feet and weigh 215 lbs and I suffered!!! I got absolutely no rest. The entertainment screen on the back of the seat in front of me was so close to my face I really couldn't tolerate looking at it. My knees were up against the seat in front of me the whole flight. The service, snacks, drinks, meals and candy were all good but when you are in a sardine, you really cannot enjoy the amenities. The designers succeeded! They increased the number of passengers that can be seated on that plane but did so at the discomfort of the passengers. I spoke to the airline stewards and they indicated that they didn't design the plane hence could not relieve my disposition .Yea for profits! I will never fly Swiss Air again!

Original review: June 29, 2013

My complaint about SWISS also involves its partner, United Airlines, and stems from Hurricane Sandy. I was booked to fly from Zurich to JFK during Hurricane Sandy; although I bought my ticket on SWISS, United was operating the flight. United sent a Hurricane Sandy travel advisory recommending postponing flights and offering several options for re-booking flights or obtaining a refund. Since there was such post-storm chaos in the NYC area at the time and a Nor'easter was due to hit on the heels of Hurricane Sandy, I couldn't immediately re-book and asked the United agent if I could call back at a future date to do so.

The agent informed me that because of Sandy, I would have no problem re-booking, just that I might need to pay an upgrade fee if the date I chose to fly was at a higher price than my purchased ticket. She also said I could ask for a partial refund. She said she was making a note in my file about Hurricane Sandy and that United and Swiss agents should both understand. To my surprise, when I later went to re-book, the United agents told me they couldn't re-book me on a flight and that I'd have to call SWISS. I then called SWISS and spoke to one of the nastiest airline agents I've ever encountered at SWISS' Cape Town offices. He said that my flight flew during the hurricane and that I was a no show, and he was not responsible for what United told me.

I called United and dealt with them since they were a little more understanding. Unfortunately, their agents all told me they had to speak to supervisors, who in turn said they were speaking with SWISS and that they'd get back to me with a solution. This went on for weeks which turned into months. Only recently, after filing a complaint with the Department of Transportation, did the airlines get back to me. They said that because so much time had passed, they no longer had records of my flight in their systems, so the best they could offer were measly travel vouchers. SWISS, through its customer service agent, Rosemary **, even went so far as to tell me the airline didn't care about anything further I had to say on the issue, and snarkily remarked that SWISS is unconcerned about losing my future business. Now, how is that for nasty?

An airline that would take advantage of a natural disaster to leech money from its customers without delivering service is not airline I would trust for safety or anything else. Never again would I fly SWISS. It is truly a pity that this airline is the flagship airline of Switzerland, a country that is still trying to repair its image as an underhanded state that took advantage of Holocaust victims. SWISS, unfortunately, demonstrates that underhanded business tactics are still alive and well in the quaint alpine nation.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2013

Do not ever buy Promotion Business Class Tickets from Swiss! In mid-December 2012, I purchased tickets for my wife and me to fly to Stockholm from Los Angeles. We are seniors and bought business class round trip tickets for $3,700 a piece. I did that well in advance for a scheduled departure of March 29th. Last week, I found out that I needed to return two days earlier because of an important convention. I was told by the Swiss clerk that in order to make that change, each ticket would now cost $5,200 plus a $400 penalty ($1500+400=1900 x 2=$3800 extra!) for 2 days change and 80 days in advance!

When I voiced my outrage, they told me that the promo was over. However, I could go on line right now and buy the same ticket for any date, between February and May 2013, for the same $3700! The promotion is not over. They are just lying. The Swiss clerk had to admit that they set these promos in a way that the minute you need to make a change, regardless of when, where and what, you will have to pay, not only the traditional $200 or $400 ticket change fee, but thousands of dollars more! This is a rip-off in broad daylight! I will never fly Swiss again in my life. I suggest you don't either!

Original review: March 1, 2012

Summary: I purchased a ticket from Swiss Air on Feb. 12 to get to my grandmother's funeral. They sent me an eTicket, receipt and an email confirmation. But upon arrival to the airport, they claimed there was an issue of payment and refused to let me board. They allowed me to be escorted into the airport and give them cash again for the ticket. Upon consulting the credit card company, the payment was processed and now Swiss Air is refusing to return the money for the ticket they did not honor.

On February 12th, I purchased a ticket from Swiss Air. My grandmother had just passed away and I was desperate to attend her funeral and provide support to my family. I was traveling from Hong Kong to Warsaw via Zurich. I live in Shenzhen, China. We are able to take a ferry to the Hong Kong airport. There is an airline counter in Shenzhen that checks your ticket, then you depart China via the Shekou Port immigration. I did this on February 14th, on the last ferry of the evening. When I arrived, I was informed that because my husband had purchased the ticket, it was not valid and the payment was not accepted. It should be noted here that I received an eTicket, a receipt for payment and email confirming the flight, and had passed through the airline counter in Shenzhen port. The eTicket clearly listed my name as the passenger. At no point did Swiss Air contacted me to let me know there was a problem with the flight.

The counter staff said that I had to buy another ticket at over $1000 USD cost. I began to cry and beg the counter staff to help me attend my grandmother's funeral. One man replied to my begging by waving his hand at me dismissively and yelling at me in Cantonese before walking away. I informed the staff that all I had was a bank card. The woman at the counter tried to get permission to allow me to enter HKIA to withdraw cash to repay for the ticket. During this time, the man who yelled at me came back with the ferry staff and customs officials and they yelled at me some more. They had absolutely no compassion and no interest in the fact that I had a receipt of purchase. The woman at the counter finally gained permission to escort me into the airport to withdraw cash. I gave her $8250 HKD and she gave me a boarding pass. The boarding crew provided me with a receipt and I was allowed to board.

To add insult to injury, Swiss Air had accepted and processed the original ticket and refused to return the money. To restate: Swiss Air issued me a ticket and receipt, then refused to honor the ticket but kept the money. If this sounds like theft, you are correct. This is absolutely illegal under the Hong Kong Supply of Services Ordinance. Additionally, I suffered great stress and mental anguish due to this event. Upon my return trip, I suffered a panic attack in the Warsaw airport due to my concern that Swiss Air may have again denied me transport back to Hong Kong. I now have a fear, not of flying, but of airports! I will always worry now that I will arrive at an airport and be denied the right to fly.

Furthermore, I have spoken to many people at Swiss Air in person. All professed to understand that Swiss Air acted poorly in this situation and under no circumstances should keep the money for the original ticket. However, they made no attempt to correct the situation and insisted that I have to apply for a refund. A refund for a ticket which was not honored when I have a receipt for payment for a new ticket. I would like Swiss Air to give me a written apology and compensation for my suffering. I would also like them to change their policies so that they will honor all tickets with receipts. In this case, they should have allowed me to fly and contacted me to resolve any payment issues afterwards (which, to be clear, there was no payment issued because Swiss Air processed the payment and refused to return the money). They also need to improve their customer service. I contacted them via phone and email, even emailing the CEO, but have heard no response.

I am currently disputing the charge via the credit card company and I am also investigating the possibility of taking Swiss Air to court in Hong Kong as I believe the act of accepting payment for a service and then denying service and keeping the money is illegal.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2011

My sister-in-law and I were vacationing in Italy for 16 days (6/30 to 7/16/11). During our vacation, my sister-in-law, who is an RN for over 30 years, had a series of gall bladder attacks. She has never in the past had any trouble with her gall bladder. The last one was so serious that we needed to cut short the vacation by 2 days (7/14).

She had surgery the day following our arrival back to the States, getting her gall bladder removed. I called Orbitz, where I booked and purchased the tickets, to change the flights back home. Orbitz informed me that I needed to call Swiss Air in order to change the tickets.

When I call Swiss Air, I explained the reason for the change to the Swiss Air agent. She assured me that the 'change fees' ($250 for each ticket) would be refunded upon submitting a letter from the doctor/surgeon.

I received the letter from the surgeon explaining the hospitalization and surgery requesting to adjust the airline reservation change fees accommodating the medication needs. I called Swiss Air to ask where I could send the doctor's letter. I spoke to another agent and then supervisor, asking where I may send the letter to have them adjust the change fees from my credit card and was told that Swiss Air would not refund any change fee charges.

I mentioned to the agent and supervisor of their Article 03 in Terms & Conditions and their answer was that it was not up to date. I reminded them that if that was the case, then they are posting out of date legal information and is unacceptable, and I'm sure illegal.

I will never ever fly Swiss Air in the future. Do I have any hope of seeing our refund of $250 for each ticket?

Original review: March 14, 2011

My trip was from LAX to FCO. Before departure the Swiss ground agent at LAX was asked about the fee for a bicycle for an international flight. The Swiss agent said that there is no fee because international flights have a two bag allowance.

Before the return leg of the trip at FCO the Swiss ground agent charged me $200 to bring the bicycle home. Swiss air deceptively waited to charge the fee when I had no choice. After a complaint was filed Swiss Air responded by saying that they were 'sorry' but no refund of the fee would be given. Swiss Air has a deceptive policy.

"We have carefully reviewed your reservation data history and have learned that although our ground agent failed to apply the charge for traveling with a bicycle on the eastbound portion of your trip, a bicycle is considered a "Medium Sport Item" and therefore a charge to travel with it is required, according to the baggage allowance associated with the passenger's ticket. Therefore we must respectfully deny your request to refund the fee which was correctly charged to you. "

Original review: March 12, 2011

On 12/3/2011, my flight was Cair ; Zurich; Sao Paulo flight number LX 237 & LX 92 . While I am doing the boarding on Swiss Air counter in Cairo International Airport, the cabin crew cancelled my flight. First, they asked me why I don't have the European Visa? I said there is no need for it , my final destination is Sao Paulo and I do have the Brazilian Visa , and I will stay only in Zurich in the transit area . They said, "No. You have to have the European Visa even if you go on transit."

I said I have traveled to Brazil for more than 6 times during the last two years, and never face such problem with Lufthansa. They said that it is because you fly with Lufthansa in the two ways (But because you go to Brazil with Swiss air and come back with Lufthansa), we cannot allow you to travel unless if you make it Only Swiss Air. I told them now, I will not find a ticket and asked them that I will do the changes when I arrive to Brazil. But they said, "No. We don't believe you. If we allow you to travel now you will not change your flight back and will come with Lufthansa. No. We will not allow you to travel today." Sorry was said in a very bad impolite way. They said, "Sorry this is our rules." I told them I traveled to Brazil more than 6 times without this procedures. They said, "we don't know what you are talking about."

And then they left me in the counter alone and went away. I lost my trip to Sao Paulo , I lost my hotel reservation , I lost my business.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2010

My Swiss International Airlines flights were cancelled due to the volcanic ash problem. We were stranded in Russia and unfortunately there were no Swiss Airlines staff available to help us. A Lufthansa representative, acting on behalf of Swiss, told us that if we organized our own accommodation, food, transport, etc., then we would be reimbursed on our return to the UK.

To cut a long story short, Swiss International Airlines refused to honor their promise of reimbursement. The customer service department was so inefficient I emailed the CEO harry.hohmeister@swiss.com. He refused to honor the compensation promised by the representative telling me it was "undocumented".

He claimed he could not offer refunds as this was a "force majeure", in breach of Regulation 261/2004.

This is an absolute disgrace. I was eventually told by Reto **, the MD, that any correspondence from myself would be ignored by his staff. Is this any way to treat paying customers? If you have any dealings with Swiss International Airlines, then make sure you get everything in writing. They will not just take your word for it.

SWISS International Air Lines Company Information