1.39/5

Discover a great timeshare now

Northbrook, IL

Discover a great timeshare now

127 Shell Vacations Club Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 16, 2019

Tim of Huntington Beach, CA. I would join that class action lawsuit. When Wyndham took over our maintenance fees went way up to $4.00.00 a year. They go up every year now. We can never get availability. We have 17.000 points and they are trash now. If anyone else reads this. Stay away from timeshare all together. They will dig deep in your pockets forever. Total junk.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Have tried to take care of splitting timeshares since death of our mother and for 8 months have made over 20 phone calls and have sent all documents required more than once. We are repeatedly told it will take 7-10 days for documents to be complete so that we can make reservations. We are never able to talk to the same representative and have gotten the run around continuously. We are now proceeding forward with the FTC and ARDA. This has been very time consuming and it solidifies that Shell Vacations took advantage of our elderly sweet mother.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2019

We purchased way back in 1998 and originally, Shell was a pretty shady organization. Still we did manage to have some decent vacations although we never truly used our points to our advantage. It seemed like a breath of fresh air when Shell was "taken over" by Wyndham. However, now that Shell is using RCI instead of Interval for booking it's like a step back in time. In the past few years, we became very accustomed to using Flextime as a way to book vacations. There were some great Interval properties that are not located terribly far from where we live and it was always nice to book (on reasonably short notice) and know we could put our points to good use for us. RCI does not have a feature like this and when I "spot-checked" some bookings I was looking at dates in 2020. Not very convenient for last minuters like we are. Sorry to say but I think I prefer Interval over RCI.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I have been an owner for 8 years now. I purchased the lowest package because my husband thought it was a steal of a price. After about 2 years we realize Shell does not have lots of great offers. Their internal resort selections is limited and it is always booked during the summer. Even with RCI and International Interval. It's difficult to find an available resort. Not the best timeshare. We always end up Airbnb a place when we travel so it's pointless to have a timeshare.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

About 7 years ago my wife and I went on a vacation to Kauai. We were staying at a hotel just outside of the little town of Kapaa which is about 5 miles from Lihue. While there we stopped at a booth that was pushing a free whale watching tour for taking a short hour and a half out of our trip to talk to folks at the Kauai Coast Resort at The Beachboy. (Shell vacation club). That short time turned into about 5 hours or more and even though we told ourselves we would not get hooked into the timeshare racket, we were inundated with pressure and promises about how great timeshares are and how valuable they are. We bought enough points to allow us one week at the resort,

On future trips to the island we had the same pressure and promises of things that could be done with the timeshare. We upgraded three times so we had enough points to stay in an oceanfront room and one week was in a two bedroom. We tried to get family or friends to join up but not a single person could commit. The last time we upgraded was in January of 2017 which we were told about how great the company is that bought Shell, Wyndham. We kept hearing how they were going to upgrade the units each time we were there as the appliances were about 10 years old and the mattresses on the bed were way overdue for replacement. Each time we brought it up we were told that a different place had gotten the money to upgrade.

Our salesman told us on this last trip that Wyndham had a new thing they were doing which was a buyback program for people that wanted out of the timeshare. We even asked about maybe just cutting back on our time to only one week and were very quickly told we could do that but it was not a good idea. We were told also told that they have a part of the company called the Ovation Department. I called them and asked about what my salesman had said and I quote (call them and they will take it off of your hands). I called and inquired about what we were told and their response was we don’t qualify because our loan was not paid off. I was told that if we paid it off they would gladly take it off of our hands, but the loan had to be paid in full before we would qualify.

I also contacted the Vice President of Sales about our options and he said they have a department that helps with people that are having trouble keeping up financially. He claimed he would contact that unit for us and have them send us some paperwork to help us get out of the timeshare. That was over two weeks ago and have not heard anything from him or the place he referred to. We were also told that the solar panels on the roof of the parking lot would lower our maintenance fees as it more than provided the power to run the resort. Just one lie after another. We were paying counting the maintenance fees and the monthly loan amount almost $l,000 dollars a month and that does not include the money we had to put on a credit card to cover some of the outgo. Timeshares are a legal way to rob the unsuspecting vacationers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shell Vacations Club?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have owned Shell for about 12 years. The sales pitch was awful, I will admit. I didn't want to buy, but my partner did. Yes I feel stuck with something I don't want forever... and it cost me $20,000. But, I will say I truly have never had a bad experience at one of their properties. I have stayed in Anaheim and Las Vegas several times each - nice rooms and courteous staff - and the properties are pretty well located. Not right in the mix but close enough to walk to it.

I have used my points for a cruise (not a good deal in terms of getting a bang for a buck but I had no issues with booking or the Carnival cruise). I have also stayed at the Vino Bello in Napa - very nice rooms and a good bottle of complimentary wine in the room. I have exchanged and stayed in Orlando. I was even able to book a room for me and give one to my brother to stay at the timeshare in Anaheim last year (and I only own 3500 points). I have used my points for meal and hotel cards with no problems. Again not the best use of points financially, but at least you don't lose the points if they are about to expire. (You can roll over once but after two years they expire if you do not trade them in for gift cards.)

Since Shell joined Interval, I have never been able to trade to a place I wanted - have tried Lake Tahoe, no luck at all. I hate Interval. When Shell was part of RCI, I was able to book in Tahoe twice mid winter. That's when I traded for Orlando too. Cannot say much about their Wyndham partnership - have not tried to use the benefits. Yes, I get calls a few times a year to go to presentations and get hounded a bit when I visit properties. I have learned to just say no, or I go and get my free $100.00 gift card and mediocre breakfast.

I think my maintenance and annual club fee fees started at about 850 per year I think and this year they are about 1150. That's an annual increase of about 2.5%. That's not unreasonable. 1150 divided by 5 = 230 per night for a 1-2 bedroom condo; divided by 7 = 164.00. And the rooms are not posh but they are very nice and always clean. Remember, rich people do not buy timeshares - so adjust your expectations for what you will get. That being said, does not calculate in the initial 20,000 investment!

I think timeshares are a bad idea because they limit your choices, they cost a lot upfront, you can never be sure how much the annual fees will go up and you are locked in for life. I would never do again because I am also not a big vacationer. But, I have to say I just have not had any bad experiences with Shell outside of the original sales pitch. The salespeople are a bit slimy - think Rat Pack throwbacks. But not all. I had a great, honest salesperson in Anaheim one year. And if you travel mid week or in the off seasons you can get some great deals on rooms. Like Napa or Vegas for 50-100 points on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday during the low season. (Remember, I have 3500 points - so if I did that for all my bookings that's 35 night nights of vacation.) So, stay away from the salespeople and make it work for you.

My 16 year old son has already told me he does not want to inherit the timeshare. Can't say I blame him; so I am already investigating ways to make sure he is not stuck with it. My home club is actually Hawaii and I have never stayed there because cannot afford the airfare - praying no hurricanes blow through that damage any of those properties and make the maintenance fees go through the roof. [I have been able to book in the CA home club with no problems even though I have lower priority.] After reading the reviews I just have to give my honest experiences to balance things out. I do not work for Shell. I am a teacher, two kids, middle income and these are my honest experiences.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

We have been members for about twelve years now and the experience has been horrible from the moment we bought. They are dishonest about running credit checks, dishonest about the availability of rooms and resorts, dishonest about payments, and dishonest about the ease of using this program. If you decide to have them take your monthly payments they may call and say that they did not receive payment (how this can happen if they are taking the payments out is beyond me).

Additionally, they sell available rooms to other timeshare members and have overbooked in the past, causing me and my family to have to find a different location at 11:00 at night. They run credit checks when they say that they haven't, and they are always booked despite the time of the year. In fact it is so impossible to find an available room that I just attempted to call and book something for my best friends funeral in three weeks and they once again have nothing. This whole process has been horrible and has lead us to the decision that we might need to sell this blasted burden and never look back.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We purchased timeshare years ago with promise that Shell Vacations would have more resorts to chose from. Well, What they did was add another company that they partner with that has many resorts but then you have to pay money to use them. Then this company Interval International... not customer friendly. Just upsetting, how we were had. If there was a something less than 1 star I would probably use it.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Unhappy with CSR. I spoke to a Manager. Worse conduct for a manager I've had. He hung up on me twice. LEWIS, manager - he continued to talk over me while I was speaking. No reply or compensation from Shell Vacation.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

My wife and I came to Vino Bello for our 1-year anniversary, and neither of us had much knowledge of timeshares so we decided to attend a presentation since they offered us free wine tasting for attending. While the initial presentation was great, our conversation with our sales rep was absolutely atrocious. She was extremely disrespectful and pushy, but didn't seem to have much detailed knowledge on how it all worked. When I told her I don't make impulsive decisions and would need to do some research on my own, she decided to personally attack me and call out a failed business partnership I brought up earlier. She kept insisting "there's no research you can do." My wife and I were absolutely shocked at the repulsive sales tactics and the complete lack of professionalism.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Horrible, awful, rude customer service. I bought an intro package to their Napa Valley Resort for 3 nights and was told I had options for other locations if I changed my mind, which I did pretty quickly after learning more about it. I wish I had read these reviews. I called to change locations but then told the other locations were closed or not available to me. I was just about in tears when I heard the customer service associate making fun of me for crying to the person next to her. She just repeated over and over that there was nothing she could do to help me and eventually she just hung up on me. I regret having anything to do with this shell of a company. Avoid at all costs!

Original review: May 6, 2018

When booking a last minute reservation to a Shell Vacations Club Resort, the housekeeping fees are supposed to be waived. Last year I discovered, by accident, that my guests have had these charges put on their credit cards each and every time without my knowledge or approval. It was my adult children who brought this to my attention. I have been so embarrassed and angered by these overcharges and Shell's unwillingness to resolve this issue that I have stayed away from the resort since last summer.

I just relented and booked a reservation for my son and actually called Shell to ensure that he and his fiance would not be hassled once again on check-in. I was assured that there would be no charges for housekeeping and no charge to my son. I have just heard from my son that the resort is insisting on charging his credit card in excess of $100 for a housekeeping fee. Customer service has been given 8 months to resolve this issue with me. I am still waiting.

Original review: April 6, 2018

My wife and I purchased Shell Vacations membership 13-14 years ago - and all we ever experience is pain and more pain (with a lack of service and no notification on maintenance fee dues). In fact - I just got off the phone with a collection co. (which they charge an extra $150 fee) because I didn't pay maintenance fee by March 30... And Shell Vacations didn't reach out by mail or call to remind us of the dues - and just dropped us into collection and causing negative credit marks! Hate Shell Vacations Club - worst decision ever!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We bought from Shell about 10 years ago; the decision to buy was an emotional decision and if I had to do it all over again I'd go back and stop myself. We've had wonderful vacations at the Shell properties but since Wyndham bought Shell a few years ago things have gotten worse. The annual fees are up; the availability of product is down. Now the annual fees are about the equivalent of the cost of booking the same nights through once of the online booking systems. I think Wyndham just might have enough smart people working to figure out how to rig the system so that us 'owners' remain just happy enough to keep paying the outrageous annual fees. However, as the population ages this whole system is going to collapse.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

RUN - HANG UP IF THEY CALL... NEVER, NEVER, BUY FROM SHELL/WYNDHAM. We have owned through Shell Vacations Club for more than ten years. They will only speak to you when you are "buying" more points!! Now that they are owned by Wyndham - things have only gotten worse. We purchased a friends/family getaway "supposedly to try out Wyndham properties". It was not, it was Shell and we continued to be told the problem would be corrected once they viewed the telephone recording of the salesperson. They could never get the recordings and therefore were never able to "HONOR" what we were sold.

We are out $300.00, our friends would not go to any of these getaways after it ruined our "Christmas trip away". We allowed them time to correct the error - too much time was given and we were unable to dispute the charge through our credit card company which I am sure was what they were hoping for. I completely understand why they have such a poor rating. We are stuck with ownership in a company that does not value their owners. It is all about money. Don't waste your money!!! I only wish we had done more research before falling into this trap.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Shell Vacations Club/Wyndham - I almost feel that I'm wasting my time, because obviously there are so many disgruntled members. DON'T BUY THIS. The fees keep going up. Now they charge housekeeping fees, so it's another $50 added to your stays. If you really think you need to buy a timeshare, go to their presentation, get the free gift, and then be smart and make your purchase for $1 on eBay.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

We had Shell Vacations timeshares for 15 years and had been able to use it twice. When we got it it was suppose to be for the high season that meant summers, Christmas, Easter cause we have kids. We were able to used it the first time in the summer and the other time we couldn't get a resort so they ended up giving us a credit card for $800 that we could use at any hotel, when we had paid $2,400 that year. At the time we got it they said once we paid it off the maintenance fees weren't gonna be much but they have increase from $370 to $1200.

We want to sell but can't. Any class A lawsuit please get in touch with me. We tried selling the timeshare and shell vacation gave us the name of someone who could help us sell but they just cheated us out of $500. We are tired of throwing $$ to the garbage and feel like we're stuck with the timeshare. Please help us, I became disable some years ago and it's hard to know that we have to pay for something we don't even use.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I have on my timeshare since ~1998. In the beginning it was a great investment. Over time it has become worse and worse. Most recently I called to see if I can get a room at the inn at the park in San Diego. They have one room. However I was charged $17.50 twice and also a $25 housekeeping fee. Only to find out that I was not able to get the room and they still put through charges. If I had not checked my credit card statement I would have to charge at least $60 with no knowledge. My advice is do not ever purchase a timeshare from them.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I owned my time share and had paid extra money to keep my maintenance fees paid. We had to give the time share "property" back to them because of financial difficulties. I was told that I would receive the money that I over paid once the deed was transferred back to them, minus the 2 months it took to be transferred. When I did not receive the check after the closing, I called them and they said I had to request the $700.00 before the closing. So they lied to me and kept my money for a service I did not receive. Aside from the fact that a time share "property" is of, at best dubious value, (lesson learned) the fact that they volunteered the information that we had over-paid on maintenance fees and then reneged isn't surprising. It's just disgusting, especially given the fact that they were aware of the financial difficulties our family is undergoing. When the vacation industry begins to resemble the health care and banking industries, how screwed is our nation!

Original review: April 5, 2017

We've had our points for about 12 years. In the beginning it was great. Maintenance fees were reasonable and reservations were easy to make. We were told our maintenance fees would not increase. Big Lie. They have grown to $1800 a year since we joined, which is about $200 a night. We were told it would be less than hotels. Another lie. Fees jumped way up since Wyndham bought them out. We can't use Wyndham facilities unless we purchase more points. If someone has a class action suit against them, please include us.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I'm so disappointed in Shell Vacation Club. I used to love being a member (since 2007). However, they have now been purchased and the only thing I can say is: Greed and outrageous Fees. My fees are $3,879 a year, which averages out to be almost $200 a night. Their maintenance fees continue to increase dramatically yearly and their Club fee and AOAO fees are crazy high. None of their facilities justify that amount. Sorry I made a mistake. Please take my advice, don't listen to their sales pitch. They told me my fees would stay pretty much the same, as when I purchased the timeshare. Not truthful... Caution.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

We have owned a membership in Shell Vacations Club since 2006. At the time we purchased Shell was partnered with RCI as their exchange partner and continued this partnership for several years. We never had a problem getting a reservation for the preferred time and location when RCI was the exchange partner. This all changed when SVC partnered with Interval International. Since II has become the exchange partner we have not been able to book our preferred destination and have been continually told that we need to book at least a year in advance to do so.

This tells me that Interval does not have near the inventory that RCI had and I believe that I have been cheated given the fact that I had no say so in this change. I made my initial purchase with SVC in good faith and believe SVC should do all they can to replace Interval with RCI as their exchange partner. Prior to SVC partnering with Interval, I would have recommended SVC to friends, however I would not do so now given my experience with Interval International. I would welcome the opportunity to participate in a class action suit on this subject.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

We bought a timeshare with Shell Vacations Club, thinking we could get a higher grade accommodation for a fixed reasonable cost however we soon found out we had been misled. Using your points has been nothing but onerous, the maintenance fees never stop and are not that cheap and subject to increase at SVC discretion. The whole system is set up to protect the SVC at the expense of the "owners".

What was implied by the salesperson was far different from what the contracts actually said. The contractual fees are all subject to change and getting any straightforward answers on anything is an epic task that bards will sing about for generations to come. We paid out our timeshare cost in full but still have not received the promissory note that was supposed to be sent to us, once all was paid. I rolled our points from one year to another and now, according to the site, I don't seem to have any points for this year. All in all, our experience to this point has been terrible. I need a vacation to deal with the stress of dealing with SVC. If you are thinking about purchasing, run away while you still can.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

Pressured to buy points in 2008 with my then girlfriend at age 25. It was financial suicide that I just didn't understand at the time. It amazes me that my 23 year old college girlfriend and I were in their target demographic and that we qualified for something like this. With the cost of yearly maintenance fees, I could pay for the same vacation stay and save myself $20,000 for the initial purchase price. I have demanded my money back over the years but have given up. I would love to find a way to get my initial purchase refunded. Their sales practices and targeting are not above board and shouldn't be allowed to continue. I'm sure there are no shortage of people who have been preyed on. Class action lawsuit? I think this is the only way to get the message through. Every time I think about this, it makes me sick to my stomach.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

I have own Shell Vacations Timeshare since 2004. I kept paying for maintenance fee + Shell Vacations fee every year and used it only twice. I discovered that buying all inclusive vacation on your own, is a lot cheaper than using your timeshare. How can I get rid of it? Will management take it back for free?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

Our experience has been similar to Bryn's. The difference is that our maintenance fees - we started with two weeks at Mountainside Lodge about 20 years ago and later converted to 11,800 points - are now around $3,000. Based on Expedia prices we can buy our two weeks (in ski season) for about that amount. So the payment we made for the timeshare has been devalued to zero. If fees increase further with more and more owners defaulting, and bad debt being covered by those remaining, we will have to join the defaulters. Who is interested in forming a group in the Seattle area to compare experiences, study the options, and combine to take action? (Note on star ratings: although the Lodge itself is delightful - we enjoy our visits - we can't possibly recommend SVC.)

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

If you are thinking about buying points in Shell Vacations, run!! Get out of there as quickly as you can. We bought our membership in California about 10 years ago and our yearly fees have increased and the service has gotten worse and worse. Even if I call months in advance I have been unable to get rooms in the areas I am going and when we did get a place to stay we shared the space with mice. When I have called to ask about services I was promised when we signed up they don't seem to be available anymore. I have tried to talk to someone at Shell about our membership and I get the runaround or get treated rudely. If I had to do this all over again I would get out of that room as quickly as I could. They take your money but do not do anything in return to satisfy their customers.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

I have been an owner for 14 years now, I bought while living in Hawaii. When I lived in Hawaii I had no problem. I moved to the mainland and between RCI and now Interval, I can never get a reservation where I want to stay. Even if its 10 months in advance. The only place around where I live in Florida and the east coast is Disney World area. Sorry, I don't need a place to stay there. I'm paying a lot of money in maintenance fees for something I cannot use.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2016

We went to this timeshare presentation for the 2nd time ONLY because the lady at the front desk talked us into it. We were fully prepared to invest once I finished school and in fact we were just about to change our mind and invest in the small package now. Diane who came to "help" Steve became incredibly rude towards us. Well Steve, you were amazing Sir. Diane, congrats on losing a sale. Next time don't be so closed minded and rude.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

When we bought our timeshare we were guaranteed members of R.C.I. So we bought another timeshare that was part of Interval International so we would have more places to go. Wyndham bought or took over Shell Vacations and Shell "dropped" R.C.I. and we became limited members (gold) of I.I. Now we have 2 I.I. memberships. We can't become Platinum members via Shell Vacations unless we upgrade to their elite program OR BUY MORE POINTS. My "contract" included R.C.I. no I.I.

I understand they can INCLUDE more but how can they SUBTRACT FROM a contract without resigning from both parties. Example if I have a contract that say a plumber is to install a Kohler toilet made in U.S.A. with a 10 year contract How can they simply change that and install cheaper made toilet made in china - Without having me resign a contract. Shell should at the least be made to "buy" back those contracts at the original or current prices and/or include a lifetime I.I. platinum membership and eliminate future maintenance fees.

The conflict of interest comes when I found out Wyndham also owns R.C.I. I am surprised no lawyer has checked into this. Funny thing (fyi) we were in Branson and went to a Wyndham timeshare viewing again and they offered to buy our other timeshare but wouldn't trade or buy the timeshare from S.V.C. I like my other timeshare and I paid extra directly to I.I. to be a Platinum Member plus I have bought 3 R.C.I. cruise packages. We have enjoyed them all.

Shell Vacations Club Company Information