1.4/5 (116 ratings)

About RIU Hotels

RIU Hotels Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RIU Hotels?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RIU Hotels?

Original review: July 21, 2022

I wanted to share that Riu Republica All Inclusive Resort has roaches. There was a roach in my room, which I showed the cleaning lady and a flying cockroach in the restaurant by the food. I quickly left out of the restaurant. Also, while I was eating I witnessed at least 10 white people touching and playing with a stray cat. And someone took a plate of food from the restaurant to feed the stray cat! And then that plate will go back with the rest of the dishes that people use. Very disgusting experience. I have never seen that in my life.

I also have video of the roach near the buffet and pictures of the cat eating buffet food. Their response was, "We deeply apologize if you felt that your experience was not one hundred percent reflective of a true RIU holiday. Our apology at this time may not undo the inconvenience that you felt, but our regret is sincere and our effort in the future will be guided by your comments." Based on the information provided, the hotel advised us that unfortunately they cannot offer any compensation for the issues they experienced. I was not satisfied by the response.

Original review: July 19, 2021

We booked a flight+hotel vacation to a RIU property in Mexico but had to cancel due to COVID. We received a refund for the hotel and an airline credit on United for the travel portion. When life began to come back to normal, I tried calling to to use my airline credit but was on the phone for hours before I was told it had to go through another department. When I finally got someone, it took more than 3 hours to find availability. I was told I had $200 collars credit remaining but could not use it toward premium economy or anything or toward making it a refundable ticket. Further, the customer service agent for really really rude. I will never ever ever go through RIU even if someone paid me to.

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 28, 2021

RIU Palace Costa Rica 6/2021. This is a copy of my response to the RIU survey. "Everything was great until we approached the reception desk to check-in for the 2 rooms, I booked for 7 days. It took several minutes (8-10) to get to a front desk clerk because there were guests ahead of us. While waiting, we overheard several different groups of guests sharing some disturbing and upsetting experiences with the front desk staff. One of which was the poor condition of their rooms. So as the clerk was helping us with our initial check-in. I confirmed we had two rooms reserved, one with a king bed and one with two separate beds. It was explained to me that they did not have two rooms near each other with that configuration.

At that time, I asked if it was possible to see the rooms prior to finalizing our check-in. The clerk appeared a bit put-out and frustrated with my request. However, he asked the bellman to assist us with the showing of the rooms. The bellman was very nice and professional. As he opened the door to our 1st room, I immediately smelled a strong odor of a damp, mildew, musty smell. He then showed us the 2nd room and it was just as strong of an odor. There was no way I was going to spend a week in either of those rooms. The bellman did not express any sort of response, as if he had been through that procedure before and anticipated our reaction. So, back down to the reception desk, only to wait in line again.

When I expressed my displeasure with the smell of the rooms, the clerk's attitude turned negative and asked me, “what do you want”! Mind you, I have not even checked in yet, only been in the resort for about 30 minutes and feeling like I am a bother, not a customer. The new clerk handed the bellman a set of keys for two different rooms which he took us to. Obviously, a different level of customer service training for the bellman and the clerks. Again, as he opened the door there was a damp, musty odor, just not as strong. The 2nd room was comparable. We now felt as if we're forced to make the compromise and take the 2 rooms with a bit less of an odor. Or face more rude and humiliating remarks from the staff. Not the warm welcome we were promised.

The clerk also shared that the “available” restaurants do not take reservations, they are on a first-come, first-served basis only. Let’s just say, that was a nightmare experience in itself! Not enough room here to cover how horrific that experience was. After the 3rd night of not being able to get into any of the a’ la carte restaurants, I snuck away from my family to try and find a manager to share my frustration and horrible experience with. I was able to talk to Mr. Adrian **, Subdirector Anfitrion, and explain to him what my experience up till that point had been with regards to the entire resort. He was kind, patient and listened to me vent for about 15 minutes. He then tried to lump everything under the “Covid excuse.”

There were many legitimate Covid excuses. However, I explained to him, having smelly, disgusting rooms and room keys that do not work does not fall under the “Covid excuse”. If you cannot get enough staff to clean the rooms appropriately at 50% occupancy, then you should close the resort. The breakfast buffet restaurant telling me the 2nd morning at 8:30 am that I could not have a Mimosa because they were out of champagne, does not fall under the “Covid excuse.” The same buffet restaurant that night when I asked the server for a glass of cabernet, I was told they had it, but she would have to ask a manager. She came back minutes later and said, the manager said it is not available.” She explained they only had a red blend, a white blend, or a rose’. Really, a so-called 5-Star resort and I cannot order a basic glass of cabernet? That does not fall under the “Covid excuse.”

I can only imagine what, if any, type of wine they are serving at the RIU Guanacaste Resort next door. Also, having a busload of 80 disruptive visitors pull up on our 3rd day, all with their own glass bottles of liquor, drugs, and loud stereos and yelling vulgar obscenities. Breaking bottles near the pool, smoking **, being allowed to play extremely loud, vulgar, explicit music in a family resort does not fall under the “Covid excuse.” Several trips to the front desk to get new room keys, because ours and many others malfunctioned, does not fall under the “Covid excuse.” Not having bottled water available (except one in the room) around the resort, does not fall under the Covid excuse.” Not being able to provide change to your guests so they can tip the staff, does not fall under the Covid excuse.” Not having an ATM resort and being told to drive 45 minutes to get cash does not happen at a 5-Star resort and does not fall under the “Covid excuse.”

Closing an a la carte restaurant on two different nights for private parties does not fall under the “Covid excuse.” However, I want you to know that a large part of the service and entertainment staff went above and beyond!! Making a horrific experience somewhat tolerable. Yes, we tipped the staff over $735 for the week. After having to drive 45 minutes to get money and change to tip your staff.

This was my 9th time vising Costa Rica over the last 10 years. And the 1st time staying at RIU. We stayed the 7 days prior to arriving at RIU in a competitor 5-Star resort. Other than a minor glitch with our transportation, the resort exceeded our expectations and lived up to the 5-Star rating. As with RIU, it was a classic case of “bait & switch.” I felt you oversold your accommodations and benefits! I really, really, cannot imagine what we would have received if we had not paid the extra money to stay at the Palace. I feel the RIU Palace in Costa Rica should be rated at a 3-Star resort at best! This was not just our experience as we talked with numerous families that felt the exact same way."

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

We booked a "package" through Priceline for Dec of 2020. When we arrived to check-in, the hotel charged me $777 for my 15 year old daughter, saying that the Priceline reservation was only good for 2 people. Neither Priceline nor the Hotel would fix. The beach is lovely but the food is TERRIBLE (except for a nice Christmas buffet). The rooms are nice, but the beds are rock hard and so uncomfortable. I've been to Jamaica 20+ times but will NEVER again stay at ANY RIU HOTEL (and never use PRICELINE again). BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

The room to begin with had such a strong odor, that it stayed on our clothes for couple days after we had arrived back home, secondly. We had items stolen from our room, including money, phone, gold bracelet, AirPods, etc. — we reported it the very next morning as soon as we found out, the manager said she’d launch an investigation immediately, however, was no help. she even tried blaming us, and making it seem like we had lost them elsewhere?

To finish this off, she pulled the door logs (when you come in and out), and checked the cameras. You can see me and my girlfriend walking down the main alley at the exact time the door was opened with the key we had inside!! Again, she was making it seem like it had to have been a mistake and malfunction of the time slips on their end. She gave me an email to contact to hear of any updates on the case, and haven’t received anything to date. I also called and they gave me a disconnected number so I wasn’t able to reach anyone anymore. Worst experience of my life, I wouldn’t go back there again even if it was my last option.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

We just got back from Cabo San Lucas. We stayed at the RIU Santa Fe. We had a group of 8 people with us and everyone enjoyed the Resort. The Service from everyone is great. You have a huge choice of where and what you want to eat. The rooms are nice and always cleaned on a daily basis. The Bars are everywhere and the drinks well made. Only two things to mention are that the Rooms themselves can be quite a walk from the LOBBY, so if you have issues with walking that might be a problem.

Most of the buildings are 3 stories and dont have Elevators. If you need an Elevator then make sure to mention it to the Front Desk when you check in because there is only ONE building that has an elevator. The other thing is that you will have to take a taxi each time you want to go into or come back from downtown Cabo. It's an easy ride like 5 min. They have taxis 24 Hrs a day available from the Lobby. OH and if you are there fishing they DO NOT HAVE A FREEZER to keep your catch. Other than those things this will be our 6th trip staying at the RIU Santa Fe. It's a great deal for the price.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Please note traveling to this resort during COVID maybe a waste of your money. Pros. Good entertainment. Friend Staff. Good Music. Cons. Bad food. Cheap and or watered down liquor. Only one restaurant open per night. Limited activities.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

Two of my great friends and I checked into your Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril, Jamaica on 8/5/2020. It was a beautiful resort on the surface. The wall sockets in the room did not hold our device chargers. Even the universal outlet plug did not stay in the wall socket. The front desk told us to use something to prop the plug up and it will stay in the wall. We tried tape, we tried propping it up, we even tried running the cord over the light fixture to keep the plug in the wall. Everything failed. We had to take turns charging our devices in the bathroom and the outlet above the refrigerate the only (2) plugs that worked.

Then the ultimate betrayal happened... someone decided to break into our room while we were sleeping. This person climbed up to our oceanview balcony on the second floor and entered through the balcony door on 08/08/2020. He stole our drivers licenses, credit cards, $530 in cash respectively, 2 Michael Kors purses, 1 Michael Kors wallet and one brand new iPhone 11 Pro. This man wandered around our room next to our heads while we were sleeping. It could have went 1000x worse, thank goodness material things is all the person took. The police were called and the proper paperwork was filed. We received a police report receipt but the resort said they couldn’t give us a copy of anything being filed or written. The General Manager Miguel was extremely insensitive, inconsiderate and only worried about the Hotel's reputation. He advised me not to tell other guests because it is an embarrassment to the Hotel.

We were also told the Hotel has 51 cameras around the resort but none on the outside of the hotel facing the beach where the balconies face. The General Manager Miguel was not trying to accommodate or ensure we felt safe at all. He said "I called the police, what more do you want me to do?" We had to demand to be moved to a different room on a higher floor. This new room was a complete downgrade from what we had. The phone didn't work and the pull out couch was replaced with a cot pushed in between the balcony door and the couch. Again we are at the front desk demanding to be made whole. Manager Fabio did get us the proper bedding but after much complaining. Then he had the audacity to say GM Miguel has offered us a romantic dinner on the beach. 3 FEMALE FRIENDS A ROMANTIC DINNER ON THE BEACH.

He was trying to compensate us with food from an all inclusive resort to be delivered to a table on the beach. Even after everything the staff did not warn or advise other guests to lock and verify their balcony and main doors are locked at all times. We sat outside on the balcony after the incident for over an hour and not once saw security patrolling the beach side of the hotel. Security was not increased or changed. It was business as usual. It was hard for us to sleep for the rest of the stay. We slept with the lights on and we kept waking up to any little sound we heard.

The level of violation we experienced was absurd. We were first violated by a stranger rummaging around the room, in our bags right next to our heads. Then we were violated the second time by the outrageous amount of insensitivity and unsympathetic response given by your General Manager and staff. We are all front line workers and understand completely the importance of Covid-19 precautions but you cannot sacrifice other needs or guests. The security and safety of your guests should be just as important as the health of your guest.

Original review: July 12, 2020

I am a frequent traveler but due to Covid-19 I was unable to go out of the country so I decided to book a quick b-day getaway here in the city. I chose the Hotel Riu Plaza New York Times Square because of my experiences in the past with their hotels in both Jamaica & Aruba. However I will NEVER give the Riu another dollar of my money. Problem #1, why was every ** guest assigned to rooms on the 25th floor in a barely full hotel? Why were we also in rooms side by side during a time when social distancing is encouraged?

When the issue was brought to the attention of the manager on duty, Diego, I was advised that the hotel chooses rooms randomly upon check in but if that is the case why did I have questionable guests blasting music & smoking ** next to me when I had checked in hours prior & why after changing rooms to a lovely room with a balcony was I greeting with people next door on their balcony talking loud and blasting music again? Is the implication that all brown faces are smoking & blasting music? Problem #2, I was expecting company so I left the person’s name at the front desk so they could be given a key.

Not only did the person at the front desk give my guest a key without checking his identification but he also said that he remembered him from the night prior and handed over the key. First of all I checked in ALONE and second of all what happened to proper security measures?!? Suppose they gave the key to someone who came to rob me or worse? The final straw came as I was packing my bags to check out & was greeted by a tiny baby bed bug sitting on the pillow. That was it for me. Never again! Maybe because it's NY they think we should just settle for whatever, however when trying to recover from the loss of business due to the pandemic you’d think they’d be providing the best services. I hope those booking later have a different experience.

Original review: April 2, 2020

Due to the Covid19 outbreak that is pledging the world. My wedding was Postpone. AT NO FAULT OF MY OWN. We were schedule to have our wedding with 45 guest (with over 20 guest staying at their Hotels in Ocho Rios, Jamaica location) on March 20th with an arrival date of March 16th. We booked our wedding with a travel agent. As we planned to fly out to Jamaica (1 day before my scheduled time to fly out) we received a call that ALL flights have been cancelled and my wedding venue Postpone my wedding until the CoVid 19 is under control and we get the all clear. We were told that we will see the credit (refund) within 14 days from the date that the reservation was cancelled.

We received informed from the hotel in Jamaica that they will not issue our refunds (over 20 guest) not until 90 days (3 months) and they are also charging myself and some of my guest a late cancellation fee that was beyond our control and a WORLDWIDE pandemic.. This is TOTAL unacceptable. We are STILL having our wedding in Jamaica and there are plenty of other properties that will be happy to schedule reservation for me and my wedding guest. I travel to Jamaica often and RIU was always my hotel of choice, but with this recent issue I will NEVER visit another RIU hotel again..

RIU Hotels Company Information