1.45/5
  • 1 star
Based on 71 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 29, 2017

73 RIU Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

The RIU is worst hotel I ever stayed in. Please do not stay in a RIU. We had to be moved the first day there to same kind of room because air conditioning was not working then I got hit in the head with cement while they were under construction. Was forced to sign a waiver or they were calling the police. Now customer service is not doing anything about it because of the form. I did not want to go to jail in a foreign country. Please everyone be cautious and stay away from a RIU hotel.

Original review: July 31, 2017

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the RIU Hotel New York in January 2017. Upon arrival, the safe in our room did not work. I requested that it be repaired, which they were unable to do on the night of our arrival. I was told that it would need to be replaced the next day. The next morning, our daughter was alone in our room, in the shower, and had a "do not disturb" sign on the door. The maintenance man disregarded the sign and went into the room, contrary to standard hotel protocol and procedure. Needless to say, our daughter was completely traumatized by this.

I have since found several other similar complaints about the RIU Hotel New York. I typed a complaint letter in the hotel business office and hand delivered it to the hotel manager. Upon receipt of the letter, the manager tore it up stating that she never received the letter (all of which I videoed on my phone). The manager told us that the maintenance man was wrong for entering our room and that he should have not gone into our room. We immediately left the RIU and moved to another hotel. Of course, the RIU manager insisted that we pay for the 2 days we were at the RIU.

This incident ruined our short vacation to New York City. I contacted RIU's corporate headquarters in Spain, and they replied that they wanted us to be their guest at another RIU Hotel. When I inquired what they were proposing, they promptly responded that they were not offering or paying anything. They just wanted us to stay at another RIU property, and pay them more money. We will NEVER stay at a resort that treats guests the way RIU does. We have stayed at several of the RIU resorts in Mexico in the past, and the quality of their hospitality and amenities have deteriorated, as well, over the years.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 13, 2017

RIU Montego Bay, Jamaica - (1) Extreme amount of walking just to get from one place to another, EXHAUSTING. (2) The pool area is just below a fly zone, so don't expect to have some relaxing time. It's loud and annoying, every 20 min. (3) The POOL AREA WAS DIRTY most of the time, not inviting at all! (Entire pool needs a good scrubbing) (4) The Mahoe Bay outdoor restaurant is not kept clean (floor/areas dirty). Flies over food. (5) The public bathrooms are smelly and not maintained cleaned. (6) The resort only offers ONE excursion. (7) The mattresses are DISGUSTING! (8) Finally, the "RESORT" credit that is said to be given to you is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO ASK ABOUT THE CREDIT, because when you arrive it’s a whole different story. The resort allows you to only use a portion of the CREDIT, and it can only be used 1 person per day. So if you’re in a group, cannot use for everyone on same day. PLUS they only offer/have one excursion on resort, and one massage place. So, that's a total of TWO amenities towards your resort credit, that only one person can use per day. REMEMBER, YOU STILL HAVE TO PAY. They just apply the discount towards your resort credit. Please do your homework before booking this place!

Original review: July 5, 2017

This was my 4th time that my husband and I have stayed at this hotel (The Club Riu - Negril Jamaica). Year after year we noticed changes however not enough to warrant never staying there again. This time however I can honestly say we will not be returning. My phone was stolen and when I immediately inquired about it the staff at the front desk could've cared less. I was not the only one who had their phone stolen that same day. Another gentlemen was at the desk asking about his as well. The new managers to the hotel (last year it was someone from Cuba, noticed a huge change in the staff and the food, and not for the better and the previous 2 years 1st 2 times we had been there it was someone else, in which I will add is the reason why we kept going back because the food was fantastic and the staff was completely different than it is now!).

I finally did have a young lady who cared enough to talk to a general manager for me and they ended up calling me and my husband into a small room to look at some video footage. Mind you the angles on the cameras that they actually do have on the resort are horrible and do not zoom in. The General managers are Spanish speaking and I speak English as does my husband. The nice woman from the front desk could only be with us for the beginning part so a bit of a language barrier. The one GM thought that he saw something so he proceeded with calling the working he thought had taken my phone into the SAME room that we were standing in to question him! While we were in there! The guy immediately became very aggressive with his responses and denying the whole thing (I was maybe 5 feet away from this guy because that's the farthest I could get away from him in the room we were in).

After 20 minutes of this awful encounter the GM finally let the employee walk out. He said he doesn't admit it happened but between you and I "I don't trust that guy at all..." so even the GM thought the guy did it! I have disputed this with the RIU and asked for them to in the least bit pay off the phone that someone from their resort stole however all they keep saying to me is it's your responsibility blah blah blah. Well obviously I know that it's my phone however it was not intentional and it shouldn't have been an issue if you had honest people working for you. I posted a comment on TripAdvisor and have now received a threat to "stay in my country and am I an idiot..."

Just because this happened to me and I am making my story heard doesn't mean I am an idiot. I am just trying to warn others about my RIU experience. I am just very disappointed after having stayed at this resort for 4 consecutive years that I absolutely just disappointment with RIU. Not to mention this happened on day 3 of our trip, we had 4 more days there at this resort left and had to deal with the man who was accused of stealing my phone for the rest of the time. Talk about uncomfortable, awkward and not at all a good time.

Original review: July 1, 2017

My partner and I went to Aruba Thanksgiving November 2016. From the time that we pulled up to the lobby it was great! The service was good, the hotel was nice, clean and everyone was helpful. The room was ok, expected it to be a hair more modern. We had one issue in the bathroom and someone came right up, less than 10 minutes and fixed it. The food was good and the bar never skimped. It was so nice I would return to a Riu again. It was a real vacation and romantic too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RIU Hotels?

Original review: June 20, 2017

We are staying at Riu Palace Macao in the Dominican Republic. The room is smelly, moldy, and filthy with cockroaches. There is a construction going on right below our windows. They start at 6:45 am and go till 11:45 pm. The front desk refused to move us anywhere saying they have nothing available. The reception manager (Ramon) is very rude. Today is the second day of our vacation that we have been trying to resolve the issues instead of enjoying the beach! Money not worth spending at all!

Original review: June 8, 2017

I recently planned a vacation to Cancun, Mexico with a very good friend of mine with the intent of having an amazing, fun Memorial weekend. I booked a hotel at the RIU PALACE PENINSULA and let me just start by saying, I am extremely disappointed and will not recommend nor will I stay in any RIU ever in my life. I travel a lot whether it’s for vacation with my son, work or model booking and have never been treated so disgustingly in my life.

I’m not sure whether to start with the disgusting attitudes with the staff, the fact that they make up rules as they go. No policies being displayed or the fact that after spending hundreds and over a $1000 American dollars to live there for 6 days, I was unable to have a guest in my room to even use the bathroom. Don’t get me wrong, out of the 6-9 front desk check in customer service people 2 of them were helpful, understanding and extremely nice (Alfredo and unfortunately I cannot remember the other young lady's name). They give you wristband and don’t tell you what it’s for then try to charge you $100 for another plastic/paper wristband that I’m sure only cost $.05 to make. They are crooks.

To top it off, as I’m trying to speak with one the managers, she had the nerve to tell me “Well you’re in my country.” Excuse my language but what the hell is me being in your country have to do with your disgusting customer service and how you're allowing your employees to speak to me. Maybe if I was the person who had an issue with them I would be more calm but as I’m there 2 other couples are going back and forth with these people because they are downright unprofessional. When I walked in? Security follows you so uncomfortable close that you can feel them breathing on your neck as if you're stealing or something. ITS CRAZY.

I refused to stay there and found myself leaving that hotel and booking somewhere else but then there is the issue of the manager of the RIU not being able to provide my refund for a room I DID NOT even stay in because of their no refund policy. Travelocity, I can honestly say has been very helpful with this whole situation but as I said before I will never recommend or stay with these people ever again and I don’t care where they are located. Why should I stay in a “5-star” hotel that talks down on you, makes you feel extremely uncomfortable and will try and get me for my money.

OH WAIT! I DID NOT EVEN GET TO THE GOOD PART. The manager decided to leave because she decided she no longer wanted to handle the situation so shortly after the overnight employee decided that he wanted to call the cops because he just wanted me to stop complaining and didn’t want the back in forth in front at the customer service desk. So because they did wrong and I'm telling them to refund my money and asking them for the policy that shows the nonsense they are coming up with you call the police? In which, the officer did nothing because I was doing nothing wrong but pulling their cards. I want the CEO, CFO AND ANYONE else who owns this hotel to see this and understand the kind of people that gets hired in their establishment. I am extremely unhappy. Thank you.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I recently stay at the Riu Ocho Rios and it was extremely horrible! After attending a funeral and checking into the hotel, on Sunday May 28, at 5 pm, first room 1347 was smell with **. Obviously, the housekeeping replacing with a sending me to room 1418. The air conditioner was not working and the room was hotel!! I contact the managers and they David and Inez and they told me. At 11:45 pm the front desk had another room 1421 to move me and my 2 boys but the room was extremely hot, the toilet was working and also another customer came in on us. It was just unbelievable, ashamed!! No one ever came to apologize. I was planning in July 29-August 2017 to take my group but after this event, I think I will withdraw my group. I feel I deserve to be refunded. The management need to be trained and learn more customer service!

Original review: May 29, 2017

I am currently staying at this hotel. This is horrible! I was told that I was being "upgraded" free of charge but I was put in a room that overlooked the rotting side of the building. The staff is terribly rude. I woke this morning with no lights in our room and no phone number on the phone to contact anyone. The whole hotel smells like must and dirty basement. The food is terrible. I tried to complain but the staffer seems do not care at all! Oh, when we were checking in the receptionist tried to charge use 10k for our room. So yeah! This place is ridiculous. This is the worst hotel.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I recently stayed at the Club Riu Ohco Rios and it was NOT a very pleasant stay. I now have bedbug bites all over my legs and had to scour my house, and contend with these itchy bites and blotches! In addition they do NOT have a good dehumidifier in the entire place and my clothes stayed moist, and I had to air them out BEFORE I could wash them. My brand new clothing with tags STILL attached smelled awful. It was such an inconvenience??? The beds and floor in our room were moist. Therefore we had to continue to towel wipe the floors to keep from slipping, sliding, and falling. I'm SO happy that I packed my powder because I had to use it to keep our bed dry! As if the above was NOT enough, we had dinner at the steak house twice. Both times we were the first to get in, but the last to be served!

When I complained to the head of the restaurants he was very indifferent, with NO apology. I explained to him that my husband was diabetic and had special needs. He could have cared less. There were many people there that were served and left, but it seemed that they had problems dealing with large parties. Both days we had a party of fifteen. They asked us how we wanted our steak, yet they sent ALL of our steak medium and this was after a two hour wait! I'll repeat we were the first in line both days but were served last and our food was NOT cooked to our specifications! ALL of this AND THEY didn't care that my husband was a diabetic.

These are my major complaints. Although I could go on regarding the lack of staff to engage during activities, and the staff member who tried to PUSH me to the ground during a dance competition so that I could twerk and get down... Her words... Which I was NOT going to do... AND I told her that because I'm NOT that kind of person! She approached me later in the evening and asked me why as if I had to explain myself to her and I politely told her that I take pride in myself AND my husband was there and it would be disrespectful to him to act this way. She was shocked and told me that she hopes to find a husband like that. What a shame that there are people at this resort who should be able to interact appropriately with guests, who THINK that ALL women conduct themselves **!

Original review: April 8, 2017

Upon a pretty picture painted by Funjet Vacations and P&H Travel of West Bridgewater MA we arrived at the hotel only to be told they were full and they insisted that we go to another hotel to which I reluctantly agreed to after a battle with the hotel staff. I insisted that if I wasn't happy when I got there that they needed to provide transportation to bring me back to the RUI Palace.

Needless to say I came back. The mattresses in the room that they gave us had mildew on them & refrigerator was leaking. There was a puddle on the floor. We insisted that they give us another room and we had to fight for that. They finally agreed. Nobody helped us move our luggage from one end of the hotel to the other and then we got a phone call because we left the key in the original room for the maids and they wanted to know why we didn't return that key to the front desk. They actually yelled at us.

There were flies all over the food to the point where you couldn't even eat. If you left your drink at the table to try to find something sealed that you could eat, you came back to flies in your drink! It was that bad! The pool had stuff floating in it. I still don't know what that was! I filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission against Funjet Vacations and P&H Travel as they did not disclose any information about the flies or mildew. Has anyone else complained about the flies on all of the food? Disgusting! I complained to Funjet Vacations and they said "you did get some value of the trip as you were able to use the beaches & the pool and the gym." My response to that was "it's hard to enjoy or get value out of anything when you're always hungry!" This was an all inclusive vacation package! Never ever again!

Original review: April 5, 2017

This is the second time we've stayed at a RIU location in two years. We stayed at one in Puerto Vallarta in 2016 and we absolutely loved it. Beautiful view, great service, and we even befriended one of the employees. Now, we're staying at RIU Palace Punta Cana, and although the views and landscape is lovely, I can't be more disappointed. Check-in went smoothly, but when we got to our rooms, they both smelled weird. We had a lovely view... of the roof of the buffet area, and we had construction workers walking by at all times of day. Pool is missing large patches of tiles, buildings have huge patches of what looks like black mold, buffet food at lunch wasn't completely cooked, and many employees just stared when an elderly man slipped and fell. A couple went over immediately and helped, but the rest just stood there while the family and two workers helped the man back up.

Excursions were a complete waste of time. We (our party of 24) went out with dune buggies and were told that lunch would be taken care of. They failed to mention we would have to pay 20 bucks minimum for it, which we did not do. We ended up missing lunch altogether that day. Two families in our party had to move, one due to a flooded bathroom and the other due to a lack of working A/C. Another member of our group had five (5) random men enter her room (with valuables inside) to do something with the ceiling. The hotel staff did not inform her that there would be workers (who were NOT in any uniform or gear that would indicate that they were legitimate) entering her room to do work. Nothing was taken, but it was enough for me to seriously question the security at the resort. We also have a crack in our wall.

The wifi doesn't like to work very much either. I have to restart my phone every time I need to access the Internet to get updates from home in regards to my dogs or to hear from friends. Rumor has it that this place is going to be demolished soon and rebuilt. Boy, does it need it. I really hope RIU gets its act together. This was my last vacation with my family before I leave for college and it ended up with me looking forward to flying home.

Original review: April 3, 2017

My family of 12 have spent close to 100,000 at this resort on 2 different trips to Costa Rica and Aruba between 2013-2017. This resort in general is a joke. Recently, my almost 4 Year old nephew could have been killed by a tv that was not mounted properly in the room! Instead, we get a 600.00 bill from the hotel to pay for this incident! We spent 45,499 to stay there with a group of 12! Not to mention our experience with being told that we could not leave the resort without our towel cards! Are you kidding me! Cheap ugly towels that no one in their right mind would want to keep! I am filing a lawsuit against this corporation for non safety and consumer affairs compliance. I have tried to contact the company and get no response or even an effective email address or phone number. This resort needs to be put out of business!

Original review: March 19, 2017

Upon arrival we were told to not lose our room safe lock and key as it cost $50 to replace. We had a lovely suite at RIU Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, complete with private balcony whirlpool tub. There were no security cameras, and the deadbolt and regular lock on the front door both were opened by the same room key. There was no additional way to secure your room when you were inside or outside of it. The maids left shampoo and soap by the balcony tub on our second night, so we entered our room, locked the door, dressed in the robes they provided, and went to the private balcony, which only our room could access.

After a lovely tub together, we discovered we were locked onto the balcony, with the patio door to our room now dead-bolted from the inside! We were fortunate to yell to a maid a few floors below us, who rescued us and let us back in our room. We dressed and then discovered someone had entered the room, searched our bags until the safe and key were found and stole ALL of our cash $1500 USD. We called security and the hotel manager, who offered us $200 cash to tip the staff and for airport transfer and said there would be follow-up. We checked the next day, and there was no follow-up then or since. Southwest Vacations, with whom we booked the vacation, have not followed up, either! The local police were not summoned. It was obviously an inside job, but the one sentence apology from the RIU manager was simply not enough compensation for us.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

My mom suffers from memory loss and a little slow to move. Sometimes we were at Riu plaza and on 4th day they tossed mom (73) and I out no notice due to stained sheets and toilet messed. I offered to pay and pay maid. They said we did on purpose. No what no how. I will not stop notifying every site I can. Mom travels the world. We were happy with waiters, beach workers, buffet, Italian not real Italian. Made mom cry. How can you do that. I am writing jamaica board. Every travel company and all travel groups mom belongs too. Wow baddd.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

What a ** experience! No ATM for cash if needed. WIFI didn't work. Toilet broke! Twice! Bed sheets dirty. And... stomach issues the whole trip! Nausea, cramping etc. I won't ever stay at any RIU Hotels anywhere worldwide again!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

After three room changes because of mold, we spent the first night changing rooms while our group headed to dinner. The casino smelled like a musty basement-remediation is needed for mold in many of these rooms. The water was shut off without notice on the second night we were there and again on the fourth night from 1 am until 7 am. We left Friday at 7:45 am. So black water would snap out after it was turned on and got my toothbrush. I was furious! They said there were broken pipes and couldn't offer any information on when the water would be turned on again.

Rude staff. Towel attendant was short and rude about towel turn in times and card pick up times. One bartender scolded an older woman for not asking when she ordered if he would add chocolate to her drink. I thought they were supposed to say, "No problem man..." I would've asked for the manager. Seemed he didn't like his job and had a resentment for the people who were there making him do work. Restaurants were nothing special and closed many days of the week. The Asian restaurant was nothing to write home about. Buffet for morning and evening with endless cheap liquor. I traveled 12/5/16-12/9/16 with 100 guests in our group. I will not return to RIU Ocho Rios. With having asthma, the mold was the worst part of this trip. Not being able to wash, flush or shower was the icing on the cake!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

The first impression when we arrived was looks pretty good. Check in was quick and easy. When we went to the room we were surprised we had no pillow cases on the pillows so the the first night we slept without pillows. The beach area is very small. The themed restaurants were only open 2 nights out of the seven we were there. The only consistent restaurants were the breakfast buffet and the dinner buffet. We did make it to the steak house once and it was nothing to write home about. House cleaning was ok.

Two very bad things, we were there with another couple that had her iPhone stolen out of her room and management pretty much shrugged their shoulders and said it was not their problem, even saying the only person in the room was the cleaning person. Supposedly asked the person if they took it and they said no, end of story, sorry about your luck. My wife and I came home with a very serious staph infection on our faces, which obviously we contacted it there and even after our travel agent contacted them about our infection and our friends cell phone we were basically told "SORRY ABOUT YOUR LUCK. IT IS NOT OUR PROBLEM." So needless to say I would not ever go back to a RIU Resort or Jamaica.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

I went on a group trip to RIU Ocho Rios where thieves came in our rooms and stole iPhone 6's. We complained to the hotel and nothing was done. We were checked into a room where the sliding glass door did not lock.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

My husband and I ventured to Aruba for our honeymoon. We heard nothing but great things about this island. We picked the Riu as we always do when we travel. We were completely unhappy with this hotel. The grounds were beautiful, and the service was good. It was the management, communication and condition of our room that left us very unhappy. There was black mold in the air conditioning vents and the plumbing barely worked (the toilet wouldn't flush and the water would not go down in the tub), as well as mold on the towel bar in the shower. We complained and the manager was supposed to switch our room and give us a credit to the spa. We made it very clear to the hotel that we were both allergic to mold, and showed my husband's eyes that were all swollen.

Early in our stay we met the general manager Justin, who referred to us as his friends. We reported the flaws to the front desk, asking for Justin but they stated he was out for a few days, and they would send someone up to our room right away. After waiting an hour and a half, no one ever came up to our room to resolve the issues. We reported this to the front desk, and they said someone would be up to fix the problems, and we should go enjoy our day at the beach.

When the general manager Justin came back to work (after having a few days off) he had walked up to our room with us, and had maintenance and a cleaning crew come to our room. If painting the vent, and temporary fixing the plumbing is the best they can do, that is just a sin. We informed Justin that Duke, the guy at the desk said we would have the other manager of the hotel Danny issue us a spa credit because they had a full house of booked rooms. We talked to other couples that had the same issues who were upgraded to different rooms. Justin also acted like he was doing us a favor by giving us a free bottle of champagne. The resort was all inclusive so no favors were done.

The night before we checked out, we were in our room at 8 pm on. We heard someone at the door around 11 pm. They slipped under a check out sheet and with that was to see Duke at the front desk immediately. I called and he was not there. The next morning at check out, they said Duke wanted to give us a spa day that day, KNOWING we were leaving. It overall was bad business. I work in the customer service field and hospitality and I would never let my customers leave without issues being resolved. We spent thousands of dollars to be treated like we didn't matter and left there very unhappy. It is very unfortunate that we left with a bad taste in our mouths.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

My husband and I traveled to Cabo San Lucas in the middle of August this year. When we arrived we were sent to a room that smelled of mold and had dirty linens. The patio door handle broke in our hands. The shade of the lamp was black from dirt and mold. To make a long story short after spending 2 hours looking at different rooms, one that did not smell of mold, we went into a room by the lobby. Needless to say we could hardly sleep from the noise during the night and in the early morning from carts being wheeled around with glasses rattling. The food was bland. My husband got sick with diarrhea from the flies that would be constantly on the food.

While I was there I told the manager of the hotel that I need a clean room because I have problems with my lungs and the doctor specifically has told me to make sure that I am not around any mold. When I came back I went to the doctor and he told me to start on the inhaler again and a nasal spray. I have had a sensitivity for a couple of years now and when the room smelled of mold I told them that I need a clean room. Two days before we left I received a call from the manager to move me to a suite with an oceanfront. I told him that all I needed was a clean room, not a large room and I did not care about the view. This vacation cost us with the air fare $500.00 a day. It was the worst possible vacation. And to think we waited a whole year to go on vacation.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2016

My stay was a brief one, Aug 7-11 2016. I've previously stayed at this resort, Riu Resort in Ocho Rios 5 years in a row, that is why I chose to stay there again. What a disappointment from the reception area, in time past the guests were greeted with a cool beverage, not this time. I went to check in, Bellinda had such a puss on her face not friendly at all, she seemed to hate her job and me, she immediately wanted to "so called" upgrade me to a "what they consider a nicer room with a garden view". I nicely said I'm not interested and would prefer a room with an ocean view, (which I reserved on BookIt.com, I didn't say that to her, but when I come to Jamaica I want to see and hear the ocean).

She was so annoyed with my request, she assigned me a room which was occupied. I found that out when I had to return to the unfriendly front desk to get my Wi-Fi password, and when she printed it out, she handed it to me, I looked at it and it had a man's name on it. I gave it back to her and she asked me who he was. I told her I have no idea. She then changed my room gave me the Wi-Fi password but forgot my towel card. Trip number 3 to get my towel card. AnnaMarie walked by, I said to her "Can I ask you a question?". If looks could kill, I would be dead. So I never did get a chance to ask my question. I got my towel card, my room wasn't ready.

It's now after 4 pm, check-in is at 3 pm, I've been traveling all day. While waiting for my room on the beach I encounter two young ladies, Elainea and Kim, very nice and courteous. I ended up booking a massage, full body exfoliation and a facial with Elainea for the next day. Sana, I think her name, was did my massage and full body exfoliation. she was a sweet young lady polite friendly and courteous. I had my facial fine by Camille, she was rough around the edges. I felt as though she didn't prefer black American women, but she did a good facial.

In years past there was a great entertainment team who would socialize with the patrons on the beach, come over say hello, see how you're doing, how you're enjoy your vacation, get you involved in the daily beach activities. There was so many activities both on the beach and poolside. In times past I would rate it a 10, during my trip, I would rate it a 1. The food is more for the Europeans, when I travel to Jamaica I want Jamaican food music entertainment and hospitality and the Riu no longer has that for its patrons, the Riu in Ocho Rios Jamaica is more like me going to Germany, Russia the food was disgusting, tasteless geared more for the Europeans. I travel with a Social Club of about 150 members you can best believe we will NEVER patronize the Riu anywhere EVER. My background is customer service, I can teach your staff a thing or two about how to treat your patrons.

Original review: July 28, 2016

RIU Hotels & Resort: Based on your inquiry regarding my stay during the dates of July 12th and July 18th under a reservation on my name, Paola **, unfortunately, I share how discontent I am for choosing your resort during my birthday vacation trip. I've been going to RIU Hotels for over 8 years. I have always chosen to be in your hotels because I usually have enjoyed my experiences until recently, my latest stay at RIU Palace Las Americas in Cancun, Mexico.

To begin, the first day we spent over $600 in excursions at your facilities while we were waiting for our room to be clean. We could not control our excitement. We were lying at the beach starting my vacation and birthday celebration, when all the sudden we got hit by an umbrella that flew from the pool deck. The umbrella hit my partner on her face and consequently, the pole hit me in my right arm leaving a painful and an ugly wound (see attached pictures for reference). Multiple individuals witnessed this incident and approached us to ask if we were ok, but not a single employee from your resort seemed concerned about our well-being. We approached the lobby asking for help and to speak to a manager and were turned down by the receptionist offering us just a band-aid. Per the receptionist, the manager on duty was Annabel **.

Ms. ** stated that these types of incidents had not occurred there before, but her lack of care to avoid any type of liability was incredible. I then asked to speak to her supervisor; Ms. ** stated that her supervisor was Daniela **, a person that we NEVER met. Needless to say, this event ruined our vacation. Few days later I went to see Ms. ** to request an incident report. Instead of providing me with a form, she just referred us to customer service. I asked to speak to the supervisor, Ms. **, and she was unavailable despite my multiple complaints. I requested the name of another supervisor, Ms. ** ignored us and left us in the lobby, she went to an office and did not come out again. Ms. Sara, another assistant manager came for her replacement and apologized, something that no one in your resort had done.

Few days later, I went to an excursion and upon my return, I found clothing from a different guest in my room. The housekeeper had let another individual access my room. I understand mistakes occur but allowing someone to go into my room invaded my privacy. This is completely unacceptable. What kind of control does your hotel have? After this incident, I am very discontent with the treatment I received at your facility, and I wish someone at our company would take full responsibility for such an awful experience.

Original review: July 20, 2016

This was an email sent to JetBlue Getaways to resolve this matter. After a month they decided to give me a $200 credit toward a vacation and said that RIU didn't think my complaint qualified for compensation... We just got back from a vacation in Jamaica at the RIU Palace in Montego Bay. This being the third time staying at a RIU Palace location and 5th time for me at a RIU location. It was a total disappointment. Having stayed at a RIU Palace Mexico the last two years, when booking this vacation I expected the same amazing vacation I had there. I quickly discovered this wasn’t going to be the case.

Check in to the hotel was pleasant and we were placed in a room with a “garden view” which is totally fine since this is what was booked through JetBlue Getaways. Since not much time is spent in the room anyway I don’t mind a garden view. Our room in this case was actually facing a construction site, a noisy one. All this even can be overlooked if everything else was Palace-like. Well, not so much again. We went to the buffet for lunch; not much of a selection, wilted salads, food not being replenished at the height of lunch, fruit platters with basically same fruit I am able to buy in Brooklyn and flies all over it that are not being in any way controlled. This continued into dinner that day and breakfast, unfortunately into the entire 10 day vacation. Also not much of authentic Jamaican food at all. Curry goat and oxtail wasn’t really available and no Jamaican staples such as ackee and salt fish.

Out of curiosity we went to the sister resort next door which is considered to be the cheaper and on a budget one (Montego Bay - Not Palace) and they had a way better presentation at their meals, more of a selection, cleaner and service was much more attentive. We ended spending many of our meals at the budget location. Unfortunate since when we stayed at the Palace in Mexico we had no need or interest to visit the other resorts but when we did they were also pretty great. As for the overall service, most of the employees were nice but nothing spectacular comparing to the stay at the other location.

Bars – We are not much of drinkers of premade frozen mixed drinks, so I ordered a Mojito and Caipirinha both of which are on their bar menus. They were made with a tiny piece of lime, basically a small lime cut into about 18 pieces and fake lime juice from a bottle. I was told that they don’t really have limes for drinks. To me it is baffling since the drinks are on their menu. I didn’t order anything special. Needless to say, I went to the supermarket outside of the resort while being harassed by the locals on the way there and BOUGHT my own limes to be used for drinks.

Room – Was extremely noisy. I slept with earplugs in my ears every night because at about 7:30 the construction at the adjacent resort (RIU Reggae) was in progress. Room cleaning by the staff was done till very late at night as well. Noisy carts being rolled around and staff making lots of noise. Our air conditioning/thermostat did not adjust temperature. On at least 3 occasions maintenance looked at it without resolving the issue. We were actually told by them to use the fan above the bed to keep cool. We set it 10 degrees Celsius which was lowest and it would not adjust down. It only crept up higher (above 22). For the entire stay we could not adjust the temperature since a runaround from maintenance was given until we gave up on complaining.

Entertainment – Less than mediocre, not much during the day at the pool besides a game of darts or horseshoe. A little better at night. We expected a much livelier entertainment crew as compared to the other location. On the 5th night we requested to speak to the manager of the resort. He was on vacation (Perhaps at the Palace in Mexico ��). We sat down with the assistant GM and brought up all the issues that I mentioned before; food and bars being the biggest complaints. He of course said that we are the first to have an issues with such and that he has never seen any flies on food. We asked him to have lunch or breakfast with us so we can show it to him. He didn’t seem interested. He also told us that purchasing limes is difficult because they are expensive and when we asked about mangoes, which were not available at the buffet and being a Caribbean staple he said that they also have trouble getting them.

Mangoes did somehow appear a few days later. In the end not much was accomplished besides him telling us that he cannot do anything for us besides possibly setting up a romantic dinner on the beach, value of which I found out later is $150. He told us to contact RIU directly and the company we booked through. Having spent almost $4,000 on this trip and way more in used up vacation time, this isn’t something you want to hear. That same night we met couples from Belgium that have spoken to him with very similar complaints. Later on we found out they weren’t the only ones. They actually stayed at the same Mexico location as we did numerous times and expected the same from this one.

Overall resort – The grounds are OK if you like a manmade beach, not complaining about since I was aware this was the case. I don’t think that the restaurant buffet area is big enough to serve all guests. Restaurants that are considered specialty have a few day wait, maybe more people hope for better food. The two nights that we went to them, most of the food less than mediocre again. People actually walked out of both in the midst of being served. I had a pappardelle that was stuck together in chunks at the Italian restaurant and then drenched in soy sauce or hoisin sauce noodles at the Japanese restaurants, both inedible.

There was a new area with a pool that is few months old and dried up palm trees on the beach that looked like they were losing branches every day, not something you want to look at.

Having spent 10 days away and almost as many days of mine and my boyfriend’s vacation time, I wish we stayed home. The weather was great and I got a tan but I could have done that at the beach in NY with way better food at home and more of a peaceful feel with properly adjustable air conditioning. Losing over $6,000 in vacation time for both of us, this was definitely not worth it. Not something we signed up for when booking a PALACE location. I am hoping that JetBlue Getaways is able to give us a refund for this vacation in the least so that we can actually book a vacation that we can fully enjoy as we enjoyed the last two booked through JetBlue. For reference and as proof of everything that is aforementioned, we have lots of pictures of the food, the flies, the broken palm trees and videos of the noise we encountered. If there is a need I can forward it all to you.

Original review: July 8, 2016

I am writing this to tell you about my awful experience during what was supposed to be a perfect getaway for my girlfriend and I. We booked our first vacation together on Valentine’s day of this year, 5 nights and 6 days at the beautiful Riu Palace in Aruba. We were overjoyed to depart on our adventure to start the summer in paradise. Our stay was from June 30th to July 5th, and as soon as we landed, our expectations were not met in the slightest.

The hot food at the buffet was cold and congealed, and cold food was warm and nasty. We thought we just came at a bad time of night, and we will book reservations for the rest of the trip. The food from the restaurants was lukewarm. We did not have a hot meal during our entire stay. Nausea started to kick in day 1, and so did upset stomachs. The room temperature food was a breeding ground for bacteria, and our stomachs were telling us something was wrong. For 3 days we suffered from Nausea, causing us to not enjoy any of the amenities at the resort. We did not get to enjoy the beach or the pool, as they were too far from a restroom to take any chances. We avoided all of the seafood after the first night of the trip, since we were disgusted by the poor handling of the shrimp and mussels. Even the restaurants served up room-temp food. You could tell the meals are sitting under warming lamps right before it’s served to guests.

After 3 days of me feeling terrible, and pretty much being tied to the bathroom, we went on 1 excursion when we both felt well enough to leave the resort. After the excursion, we had dinner at Italliano, where they served up a lukewarm dining experience, with a side of food poisoning. Yes, that's right. My girlfriend endured a violent case of food poisoning, ruining the remainder of the trip. At 3:00am Monday morning, she woke me up to help her, and I did the best I could. The day before, the cleaning crew never restocked our fridge, or our toilet paper. NO TOILET PAPER, and she has food poisoning from your poorly maintained kitchens.

I went to the front desk to look for assistance, and nobody would help me. I asked for toilet paper, and their response was "We don't have the key." WHAT?! No key to the toilet paper? No store to buy any type of Gatorade for hydration in the hotel, nowhere to buy tums or **, and not a single person willing to help me out in a situation we clearly needed help with?

I went to the 24 hour bar, and luckily the bartender had spare water bottles and garbage bags that I promptly brought back to the room. Then there was still the toilet paper issue. I had to take rolls out of the bathrooms by the pool to bring upstairs for my girlfriend, since the staff didn't help or react at all to the situation. The woman at the front desk said she will send tea to the room. They called the room, saying it will be there in 3 minutes, but it never came. The following morning, around 7am now, the operator called the room, asking if we still needed toilet paper. I stated yes we do, and it never arrived. The front desk did not pick up the phone any time I called it, and they didn't seem interested in helping me in any way.

At 7:30am, I spoke to the manager, Vernel, about the situation and he assured me that I would be helped, stating he would send Gatorade and soup to the room. The Gatorade arrived an hour and a half later, but no soup. Thanks Vernel. I went back to the front desk around 8am, and I wanted to speak to the General Manager, and Vernel told me he would call the room when she was available. I waited for 11 HOURS to talk to the General Manager, checking back at the front desk every hour. Vernel never called the room, and left for the day at 3pm. The service at this place was pitiful at best.

Finally 7pm rolls around and I am FINALLY speaking to the General Manager, Sandra, who was trying to convince me that this was not a case of food poisoning, but it was because of dehydration. I have never seen anyone this violently sick before, and this was not dehydration. Sandra also tried to blame the nausea and illness on drinking too much liquor. We barely drank the entire trip due to feeling sick the entire time. This wasn't I drank too much kind of sick. This was food poisoning at its worst. Sandra told me that their on-site doctor (who never once showed face) assured her that food poisoning takes 48 hours to settle in, which is absolutely incorrect. Even if it was correct, every meal eaten over the past 72 hours was from the kitchens of the Riu Palace. All of her excuses were salt in the wound of an already botched vacation.

I asked Sandra why none of the chefs are wearing gloves, and not washing their hands while handling all types of raw and cooked food. I witnessed this in BOTH of the buffets. She said that it was easier to not wear gloves and wash your hands than it was to keep changing gloves. This is an awful way to handle food, and a horrible excuse to tell me while my girlfriend is bedridden and in extreme pain due to how the chefs handle the food. Sandra offered no help either, stating that she would move us to a suite, but since it was our last night, there would be no point, so she couldn't help us. She did apologize for the food poisoning, and the horrible service, admitting that the staff did absolutely nothing to help out, saying that it was unacceptable, and that she would look into it.

The chef in Nautilus was cooking burgers with no gloves on, touching both the raw and cooked meat with his bare hands without washing in-between. He put the burgers on the grill, and placed a dirty porcelain tray on top of the patties as they cooked, then flipped them and touched the cooked part with his filthy bacteria-laden hands.

I spoke to her about how the room was never restocked with water or toilet paper, and how we were told that they will be brought to the room, and it never came. The tea they promised never showed up. The water and toilet paper never showed up. The staff wouldn't help with anything. They were absolutely useless. Sandra said she would bring up anything we need herself, and I said we needed toilet paper and water, and it STILL NEVER CAME!

The service and food at this resort were atrocious, sickening even, and our entire vacation was completely ruined by staying here. We spent close to $4,000 on this trip, and we enjoyed 10% of it. The other 90% was spent in agony. I will never recommend anyone stay here. I will never stay here again. I am going to paste this entire note on all of the review sites and social media sites in hopes of warning other guests about this poorly managed establishment. This was, by far, the WORST resort/hotel experience I've ever encountered, yet it was the most expensive. You absolutely do not get what you pay for when staying at the Riu Palace. Most people go to Aruba and don't want to come home, as for us, we could wait to leave.

Original review: July 7, 2016

I stayed at the Riu from 6/28/16-7/4/16 and my entire experience was horrible! My sons iPod got stolen (out of my room) and when I reported it they stated that they were sending security right away. When security arrived, he started going through my entire room INCLUDING my purse as if I were lying then asked me if I was sure it was in my room. He then asked me "So what do you want to do because if you call the police they won't do anything." The food was HORRIBLE! No flavor, flies everywhere landing on the food, not to mention ROACHES crawling on the floor in the dining area.

The walk to the rooms are not covered so when it rained and stormed you have to walk a far distance to get to your room. The smell outside of the rooms smelled like trash everyday. I was there and the smell inside the rooms smelled like mildew. My sheets were dirty and were not changed because sand was in my bed and the same stain was on my sheets. Customer Service was horrible and some staff was rude! I would not recommend ANYONE to stay at this hotel EVER!!!

Original review: June 18, 2016

This brand new resort opened June 04/16. We arrived June 10/16 for one week. We knew going this was a no drink service hotel and that is not a problem for us, but not having more than 2 premium drink selections is an issue. Have very few king size beds is another issue, garden view rooms on one side with a bank of very loud roaring a/c's for the resort next door, so loud you cannot use your balcony is just plain ridiculous and unacceptable. If you be firm you might get moved to a better or worse location eventually lol.

Food was ok. Nothing great, but you won't starve. We needed our TV hooked up to cable and it took numerous phone calls, going down to front desk, being hung up on twice and manager always occupied, finally got a supervisor and 3 hours later after we showed the tech the problem we were fixed. So it was obvious even though they told us for 2 and a half hours he was on his way was not true.

Skimmers were never cleaned until a guest went to someone to be cleaned in the middle of our first week. They were just filthy. Pool decks had never been washed down until June 15 when the Sunwing reps showed for their grand opening tour, and boy did the resort put on a show for them making service etc. special for them, so they would have gotten the impression this was the norm (well it wasn't). 2 security even popped up lol.

Mind you the resort does look nice but very no frill for room amenities, drinks, etc. Customer service is poor and a lot of the staff did not look happy IMO. Found out on the way home yesterday that some people were getting drinks brought to them all day as they were tipping like crazy. This is not right again IMO. On our last day June 17 they finally made a path through the sand dunes in middle of resort. You still can't see the ocean but better still was no washrooms or permanent bar on beach (beach is beautiful).

No shade for you on the beach unless you get up before 6am. People were even saving them 7pm at night. They don't even give you a pen and paper in the room, no big deal but come on. WIFI was great. That was about the only really good thing. The young and not fussy drinkers all think it was over the top, but from the more mature people we spoke most of them said it was their first and last time at this resort. And also being a RIU Class Member doesn't do anything for you, but we found that was at most of RIU's we have stayed at.

One more last rant, the elevators OMG, small, hot, smelly, dirty, slow and everyday one sometimes 2 would break down, good job they only had 4 floors to climb. Hopefully some of these issues (there are more) will get sorted, but I doubt it. Some of these little things should never have been an issue. They don't even have a cold water dispenser at the bars so you can get your own. I won't even go on about the punta cana airport or Sunwing reps. We got this resort for a very good price and now know why. Bottom line if you just want to drink anything and get drunk you will be fine, or if you know the big wigs we'll be there. Things will be much better.

Original review: June 16, 2016

I just read the review from June 4th which is when we were there. I agreed with what was written. My husband and I were so excited about this trip. When we arrived at the hotel, we didn't have air conditioning for the first half of our stay there and we were miserable!!! The staff at the front desk kept saying it should be fixed at any time but we had two nights without sleep. It was horrible, the bathroom floor was wet, the sheets on the bed, damp and it smelled bad/musty. We were so disappointed and uncomfortable. The meals were wonderful, and the staff was professional and very kind (aside from the front desk staff). The pool was nice, kept clean and the view of the ocean was great and right next to the hotel. The rest of our visit went better once we had air although the room still smelt musty. We're not sure that we would stay at a RIU resort again but a few of our friends have told us that usually the rooms are nice.

Original review: June 4, 2016

My husband and I are currently staying at RIU Palace in Paradise Island and I have to tell you that it had been by far the WORST EXPERIENCE of our lives. First of all, the air conditioner has been broken for 48 hours now. Each time we talk to the front desk staff they rudely tell us "they are working on it." Then last night late we were told it was fixed... it obviously was not because when we got into our room it was a sauna... we called down to the front desk to tell them and the woman on the phone rudely told me "It's fixed ma'am" and hung up on me. When I called back she said she would send someone up to our room to check it... which was a TOTAL LIE because no one ever came. This morning, my husband who has a blood disorder slipped on the floor getting off the elevators due to the condensation from having no air conditioning in the building. In doing so he has a huge hematoma on his ankle and knee and can hardly walk.

Then the internet (which is promised on their website) has been down for over 24 hours. We have had to go over to the Atlantis just for internet service, spend over $50 purchasing a fan for our sauna of a room, and been miserable the whole trip. We have talked to the management multiple times, along with many other hotel guests, only to be told there was nothing they could do and to email some email address to voice concerns. We spent over $3000 on the vacation and I regret every second of it. I have always stayed at RIU Palace hotels from Aruba to Mexico... but NEVER EVER again. No one should be treated like this after paying good, hard earned money that took over two years to save up for.

Original review: May 6, 2016

My friends and I booked a stay at the Hotel RIU Bonanza Playa in Illetas, Spain for March 19-24 of 2016. We arrived the afternoon of the 19th and were checked in by Eva at the front desk. We were then asked if we wanted to use the safe and they stated it would be three hundred (300) Euros per day. We were then escorted to our room and the bellman told us they didn't have activation codes to give for the safe and he would have to enter a hotel code. Should've know something was up at this time. He came to the room (Bruno is his name) and activated the safe and attempted to view the code I was using to place our items in the safe. I had to ask him to turn his head and look the other way. This portion is very important... Stay tuned.

We then settled into our room, after requesting a different room due to it being at the end of a dark hallway. The front desk person, Eva, informed us there were no more rooms as the hotel was sold out. We found out the next day, this was not true. We kept the room and got dressed to go to dinner. We left the hotel to go to dinner around 8:30 and also went to a wine lounge downtown Majorca. After returning to our room we discovered our room had been accessed and the entire safe was CUT, YES I SAID CUT from the cabinet in the wall. All of our items were stolen, two laptops, cellphone, three passports, and cash in Euros.

Apparently the hotel staff broke into our room, stole the safe and used my large duffle like tote bag and my friend's suitcase to roll the items right out of the front door. Yep that's what happened because the suitcase and duffle bag were stolen and they took the identifying ribbon from my friend's suitcase. There wasn't any access to the outside balcony and the screen door was locked to the balcony. We called the hotel security, they came and confirmed the findings and called the Palma Police. We then entered into this long drawn out battle with the hotel management staff!!! We had to make them fly us to Barcelona to get new passports that their staff stole and have been in a constant struggle to receive payment from the stolen items.

Today we received an email after providing them with an insurance list of the items lost and the email stated they were no longer going to fund our lost items. They forged my friend's name on a rental contract we never were shown or signed at the time of receiving the safe. When I spoke with the hotel's director, Annabel, she stated we signed the contract and were given an activation code and the signed contract. But you recall... the bellman told us they didn't have an activation code and we never signed or received a safe deposit box contract. THEY FORGED MY FRIEND'S NAME ON THE CONTRACT.

The next morning after the theft, the hotel's director, Tolo **, attempted to have us sign the contract in arrears... we declined and told him we were NEVER presented with the contract at the time of check in and weren't going to sign it. He asked questions about who checked us in and which bellboy went to our room and agreed with us not signing the contract.

Fast forward to today... May 7, 2016; they now have some contract with a false signature stating only 300 Euros will be paid from the insurance company. LIES!!! If this was the case why did your insurance company have us fill out a losses and damages form that far exceeds the amount of three hundred Euros??? Also, WE NEVER signed the contract! They forged a name then had the audacity to say the police found the contract in our room?? What police, because the Illetas police who took the report on the early morning of March 20 (I have a copy) never took any pictures of the room or wrote down anything. BUT NOW you have a police report with pictures of the contract? Lies!!!

The Riu and the Bonanza Playa people are dishonest. Do not stay at any of their hotels and don't trust them. I've attempted to contact their direct customer service via email and phone and have NEVER received a response. I'm thankful I have my life and they were only material things but it ruined our entire vacation, we lost work items, and these people are flat out dishonest!!!

RIU Hotels Company Information