RIU Hotels

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The first impression when we arrived was looks pretty good. Check in was quick and easy. When we went to the room we were surprised we had no pillow cases on the pillows so the the first night we slept without pillows. The beach area is very small. The themed restaurants were only open 2 nights out of the seven we were there. The only consistent restaurants were the breakfast buffet and the dinner buffet. We did make it to the steak house once and it was nothing to write home about. House cleaning was ok.

Two very bad things, we were there with another couple that had her iPhone stolen out of her room and management pretty much shrugged their shoulders and said it was not their problem, even saying the only person in the room was the cleaning person. Supposedly asked the person if they took it and they said no, end of story, sorry about your luck. My wife and I came home with a very serious staph infection on our faces, which obviously we contacted it there and even after our travel agent contacted them about our infection and our friends cell phone we were basically told "SORRY ABOUT YOUR LUCK. IT IS NOT OUR PROBLEM." So needless to say I would not ever go back to a RIU Resort or Jamaica.

I went on a group trip to RIU Ocho Rios where thieves came in our rooms and stole iPhone 6's. We complained to the hotel and nothing was done. We were checked into a room where the sliding glass door did not lock.

My husband and I ventured to Aruba for our honeymoon. We heard nothing but great things about this island. We picked the Riu as we always do when we travel. We were completely unhappy with this hotel. The grounds were beautiful, and the service was good. It was the management, communication and condition of our room that left us very unhappy. There was black mold in the air conditioning vents and the plumbing barely worked (the toilet wouldn't flush and the water would not go down in the tub), as well as mold on the towel bar in the shower. We complained and the manager was supposed to switch our room and give us a credit to the spa. We made it very clear to the hotel that we were both allergic to mold, and showed my husband's eyes that were all swollen.

Early in our stay we met the general manager Justin, who referred to us as his friends. We reported the flaws to the front desk, asking for Justin but they stated he was out for a few days, and they would send someone up to our room right away. After waiting an hour and a half, no one ever came up to our room to resolve the issues. We reported this to the front desk, and they said someone would be up to fix the problems, and we should go enjoy our day at the beach.

When the general manager Justin came back to work (after having a few days off) he had walked up to our room with us, and had maintenance and a cleaning crew come to our room. If painting the vent, and temporary fixing the plumbing is the best they can do, that is just a sin. We informed Justin that Duke, the guy at the desk said we would have the other manager of the hotel Danny issue us a spa credit because they had a full house of booked rooms. We talked to other couples that had the same issues who were upgraded to different rooms. Justin also acted like he was doing us a favor by giving us a free bottle of champagne. The resort was all inclusive so no favors were done.

The night before we checked out, we were in our room at 8 pm on. We heard someone at the door around 11 pm. They slipped under a check out sheet and with that was to see Duke at the front desk immediately. I called and he was not there. The next morning at check out, they said Duke wanted to give us a spa day that day, KNOWING we were leaving. It overall was bad business. I work in the customer service field and hospitality and I would never let my customers leave without issues being resolved. We spent thousands of dollars to be treated like we didn't matter and left there very unhappy. It is very unfortunate that we left with a bad taste in our mouths.

My husband and I traveled to Cabo San Lucas in the middle of August this year. When we arrived we were sent to a room that smelled of mold and had dirty linens. The patio door handle broke in our hands. The shade of the lamp was black from dirt and mold. To make a long story short after spending 2 hours looking at different rooms, one that did not smell of mold, we went into a room by the lobby. Needless to say we could hardly sleep from the noise during the night and in the early morning from carts being wheeled around with glasses rattling. The food was bland. My husband got sick with diarrhea from the flies that would be constantly on the food.

While I was there I told the manager of the hotel that I need a clean room because I have problems with my lungs and the doctor specifically has told me to make sure that I am not around any mold. When I came back I went to the doctor and he told me to start on the inhaler again and a nasal spray. I have had a sensitivity for a couple of years now and when the room smelled of mold I told them that I need a clean room. Two days before we left I received a call from the manager to move me to a suite with an oceanfront. I told him that all I needed was a clean room, not a large room and I did not care about the view. This vacation cost us with the air fare $500.00 a day. It was the worst possible vacation. And to think we waited a whole year to go on vacation.

My stay was a brief one, Aug 7-11 2016. I've previously stayed at this resort, Riu Resort in Ocho Rios 5 years in a row, that is why I chose to stay there again. What a disappointment from the reception area, in time past the guests were greeted with a cool beverage, not this time. I went to check in, Bellinda had such a puss on her face not friendly at all, she seemed to hate her job and me, she immediately wanted to "so called" upgrade me to a "what they consider a nicer room with a garden view". I nicely said I'm not interested and would prefer a room with an ocean view, (which I reserved on BookIt.com, I didn't say that to her, but when I come to Jamaica I want to see and hear the ocean).

She was so annoyed with my request, she assigned me a room which was occupied. I found that out when I had to return to the unfriendly front desk to get my Wi-Fi password, and when she printed it out, she handed it to me, I looked at it and it had a man's name on it. I gave it back to her and she asked me who he was. I told her I have no idea. She then changed my room gave me the Wi-Fi password but forgot my towel card. Trip number 3 to get my towel card. AnnaMarie walked by, I said to her "Can I ask you a question?". If looks could kill, I would be dead. So I never did get a chance to ask my question. I got my towel card, my room wasn't ready.

It's now after 4 pm, check-in is at 3 pm, I've been traveling all day. While waiting for my room on the beach I encounter two young ladies, Elainea and Kim, very nice and courteous. I ended up booking a massage, full body exfoliation and a facial with Elainea for the next day. Sana, I think her name, was did my massage and full body exfoliation. she was a sweet young lady polite friendly and courteous. I had my facial fine by Camille, she was rough around the edges. I felt as though she didn't prefer black American women, but she did a good facial.

In years past there was a great entertainment team who would socialize with the patrons on the beach, come over say hello, see how you're doing, how you're enjoy your vacation, get you involved in the daily beach activities. There was so many activities both on the beach and poolside. In times past I would rate it a 10, during my trip, I would rate it a 1. The food is more for the Europeans, when I travel to Jamaica I want Jamaican food music entertainment and hospitality and the Riu no longer has that for its patrons, the Riu in Ocho Rios Jamaica is more like me going to Germany, Russia the food was disgusting, tasteless geared more for the Europeans. I travel with a Social Club of about 150 members you can best believe we will NEVER patronize the Riu anywhere EVER. My background is customer service, I can teach your staff a thing or two about how to treat your patrons.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RIU Hotels?

RIU Hotels & Resort: Based on your inquiry regarding my stay during the dates of July 12th and July 18th under a reservation on my name, Paola **, unfortunately, I share how discontent I am for choosing your resort during my birthday vacation trip. I've been going to RIU Hotels for over 8 years. I have always chosen to be in your hotels because I usually have enjoyed my experiences until recently, my latest stay at RIU Palace Las Americas in Cancun, Mexico.

To begin, the first day we spent over $600 in excursions at your facilities while we were waiting for our room to be clean. We could not control our excitement. We were lying at the beach starting my vacation and birthday celebration, when all the sudden we got hit by an umbrella that flew from the pool deck. The umbrella hit my partner on her face and consequently, the pole hit me in my right arm leaving a painful and an ugly wound (see attached pictures for reference). Multiple individuals witnessed this incident and approached us to ask if we were ok, but not a single employee from your resort seemed concerned about our well-being. We approached the lobby asking for help and to speak to a manager and were turned down by the receptionist offering us just a band-aid. Per the receptionist, the manager on duty was Annabel **.

Ms. ** stated that these types of incidents had not occurred there before, but her lack of care to avoid any type of liability was incredible. I then asked to speak to her supervisor; Ms. ** stated that her supervisor was Daniela **, a person that we NEVER met. Needless to say, this event ruined our vacation. Few days later I went to see Ms. ** to request an incident report. Instead of providing me with a form, she just referred us to customer service. I asked to speak to the supervisor, Ms. **, and she was unavailable despite my multiple complaints. I requested the name of another supervisor, Ms. ** ignored us and left us in the lobby, she went to an office and did not come out again. Ms. Sara, another assistant manager came for her replacement and apologized, something that no one in your resort had done.

Few days later, I went to an excursion and upon my return, I found clothing from a different guest in my room. The housekeeper had let another individual access my room. I understand mistakes occur but allowing someone to go into my room invaded my privacy. This is completely unacceptable. What kind of control does your hotel have? After this incident, I am very discontent with the treatment I received at your facility, and I wish someone at our company would take full responsibility for such an awful experience.

This was an email sent to JetBlue Getaways to resolve this matter. After a month they decided to give me a $200 credit toward a vacation and said that RIU didn't think my complaint qualified for compensation... We just got back from a vacation in Jamaica at the RIU Palace in Montego Bay. This being the third time staying at a RIU Palace location and 5th time for me at a RIU location. It was a total disappointment. Having stayed at a RIU Palace Mexico the last two years, when booking this vacation I expected the same amazing vacation I had there. I quickly discovered this wasn’t going to be the case.

Check in to the hotel was pleasant and we were placed in a room with a “garden view” which is totally fine since this is what was booked through JetBlue Getaways. Since not much time is spent in the room anyway I don’t mind a garden view. Our room in this case was actually facing a construction site, a noisy one. All this even can be overlooked if everything else was Palace-like. Well, not so much again. We went to the buffet for lunch; not much of a selection, wilted salads, food not being replenished at the height of lunch, fruit platters with basically same fruit I am able to buy in Brooklyn and flies all over it that are not being in any way controlled. This continued into dinner that day and breakfast, unfortunately into the entire 10 day vacation. Also not much of authentic Jamaican food at all. Curry goat and oxtail wasn’t really available and no Jamaican staples such as ackee and salt fish.

Out of curiosity we went to the sister resort next door which is considered to be the cheaper and on a budget one (Montego Bay - Not Palace) and they had a way better presentation at their meals, more of a selection, cleaner and service was much more attentive. We ended spending many of our meals at the budget location. Unfortunate since when we stayed at the Palace in Mexico we had no need or interest to visit the other resorts but when we did they were also pretty great. As for the overall service, most of the employees were nice but nothing spectacular comparing to the stay at the other location.

Bars – We are not much of drinkers of premade frozen mixed drinks, so I ordered a Mojito and Caipirinha both of which are on their bar menus. They were made with a tiny piece of lime, basically a small lime cut into about 18 pieces and fake lime juice from a bottle. I was told that they don’t really have limes for drinks. To me it is baffling since the drinks are on their menu. I didn’t order anything special. Needless to say, I went to the supermarket outside of the resort while being harassed by the locals on the way there and BOUGHT my own limes to be used for drinks.

Room – Was extremely noisy. I slept with earplugs in my ears every night because at about 7:30 the construction at the adjacent resort (RIU Reggae) was in progress. Room cleaning by the staff was done till very late at night as well. Noisy carts being rolled around and staff making lots of noise. Our air conditioning/thermostat did not adjust temperature. On at least 3 occasions maintenance looked at it without resolving the issue. We were actually told by them to use the fan above the bed to keep cool. We set it 10 degrees Celsius which was lowest and it would not adjust down. It only crept up higher (above 22). For the entire stay we could not adjust the temperature since a runaround from maintenance was given until we gave up on complaining.

Entertainment – Less than mediocre, not much during the day at the pool besides a game of darts or horseshoe. A little better at night. We expected a much livelier entertainment crew as compared to the other location. On the 5th night we requested to speak to the manager of the resort. He was on vacation (Perhaps at the Palace in Mexico ��). We sat down with the assistant GM and brought up all the issues that I mentioned before; food and bars being the biggest complaints. He of course said that we are the first to have an issues with such and that he has never seen any flies on food. We asked him to have lunch or breakfast with us so we can show it to him. He didn’t seem interested. He also told us that purchasing limes is difficult because they are expensive and when we asked about mangoes, which were not available at the buffet and being a Caribbean staple he said that they also have trouble getting them.

Mangoes did somehow appear a few days later. In the end not much was accomplished besides him telling us that he cannot do anything for us besides possibly setting up a romantic dinner on the beach, value of which I found out later is $150. He told us to contact RIU directly and the company we booked through. Having spent almost $4,000 on this trip and way more in used up vacation time, this isn’t something you want to hear. That same night we met couples from Belgium that have spoken to him with very similar complaints. Later on we found out they weren’t the only ones. They actually stayed at the same Mexico location as we did numerous times and expected the same from this one.

Overall resort – The grounds are OK if you like a manmade beach, not complaining about since I was aware this was the case. I don’t think that the restaurant buffet area is big enough to serve all guests. Restaurants that are considered specialty have a few day wait, maybe more people hope for better food. The two nights that we went to them, most of the food less than mediocre again. People actually walked out of both in the midst of being served. I had a pappardelle that was stuck together in chunks at the Italian restaurant and then drenched in soy sauce or hoisin sauce noodles at the Japanese restaurants, both inedible.

There was a new area with a pool that is few months old and dried up palm trees on the beach that looked like they were losing branches every day, not something you want to look at.

Having spent 10 days away and almost as many days of mine and my boyfriend’s vacation time, I wish we stayed home. The weather was great and I got a tan but I could have done that at the beach in NY with way better food at home and more of a peaceful feel with properly adjustable air conditioning. Losing over $6,000 in vacation time for both of us, this was definitely not worth it. Not something we signed up for when booking a PALACE location. I am hoping that JetBlue Getaways is able to give us a refund for this vacation in the least so that we can actually book a vacation that we can fully enjoy as we enjoyed the last two booked through JetBlue. For reference and as proof of everything that is aforementioned, we have lots of pictures of the food, the flies, the broken palm trees and videos of the noise we encountered. If there is a need I can forward it all to you.

I am writing this to tell you about my awful experience during what was supposed to be a perfect getaway for my girlfriend and I. We booked our first vacation together on Valentine’s day of this year, 5 nights and 6 days at the beautiful Riu Palace in Aruba. We were overjoyed to depart on our adventure to start the summer in paradise. Our stay was from June 30th to July 5th, and as soon as we landed, our expectations were not met in the slightest.

The hot food at the buffet was cold and congealed, and cold food was warm and nasty. We thought we just came at a bad time of night, and we will book reservations for the rest of the trip. The food from the restaurants was lukewarm. We did not have a hot meal during our entire stay. Nausea started to kick in day 1, and so did upset stomachs. The room temperature food was a breeding ground for bacteria, and our stomachs were telling us something was wrong. For 3 days we suffered from Nausea, causing us to not enjoy any of the amenities at the resort. We did not get to enjoy the beach or the pool, as they were too far from a restroom to take any chances. We avoided all of the seafood after the first night of the trip, since we were disgusted by the poor handling of the shrimp and mussels. Even the restaurants served up room-temp food. You could tell the meals are sitting under warming lamps right before it’s served to guests.

After 3 days of me feeling terrible, and pretty much being tied to the bathroom, we went on 1 excursion when we both felt well enough to leave the resort. After the excursion, we had dinner at Italliano, where they served up a lukewarm dining experience, with a side of food poisoning. Yes, that's right. My girlfriend endured a violent case of food poisoning, ruining the remainder of the trip. At 3:00am Monday morning, she woke me up to help her, and I did the best I could. The day before, the cleaning crew never restocked our fridge, or our toilet paper. NO TOILET PAPER, and she has food poisoning from your poorly maintained kitchens.

I went to the front desk to look for assistance, and nobody would help me. I asked for toilet paper, and their response was "We don't have the key." WHAT?! No key to the toilet paper? No store to buy any type of Gatorade for hydration in the hotel, nowhere to buy tums or **, and not a single person willing to help me out in a situation we clearly needed help with?

I went to the 24 hour bar, and luckily the bartender had spare water bottles and garbage bags that I promptly brought back to the room. Then there was still the toilet paper issue. I had to take rolls out of the bathrooms by the pool to bring upstairs for my girlfriend, since the staff didn't help or react at all to the situation. The woman at the front desk said she will send tea to the room. They called the room, saying it will be there in 3 minutes, but it never came. The following morning, around 7am now, the operator called the room, asking if we still needed toilet paper. I stated yes we do, and it never arrived. The front desk did not pick up the phone any time I called it, and they didn't seem interested in helping me in any way.

At 7:30am, I spoke to the manager, Vernel, about the situation and he assured me that I would be helped, stating he would send Gatorade and soup to the room. The Gatorade arrived an hour and a half later, but no soup. Thanks Vernel. I went back to the front desk around 8am, and I wanted to speak to the General Manager, and Vernel told me he would call the room when she was available. I waited for 11 HOURS to talk to the General Manager, checking back at the front desk every hour. Vernel never called the room, and left for the day at 3pm. The service at this place was pitiful at best.

Finally 7pm rolls around and I am FINALLY speaking to the General Manager, Sandra, who was trying to convince me that this was not a case of food poisoning, but it was because of dehydration. I have never seen anyone this violently sick before, and this was not dehydration. Sandra also tried to blame the nausea and illness on drinking too much liquor. We barely drank the entire trip due to feeling sick the entire time. This wasn't I drank too much kind of sick. This was food poisoning at its worst. Sandra told me that their on-site doctor (who never once showed face) assured her that food poisoning takes 48 hours to settle in, which is absolutely incorrect. Even if it was correct, every meal eaten over the past 72 hours was from the kitchens of the Riu Palace. All of her excuses were salt in the wound of an already botched vacation.

I asked Sandra why none of the chefs are wearing gloves, and not washing their hands while handling all types of raw and cooked food. I witnessed this in BOTH of the buffets. She said that it was easier to not wear gloves and wash your hands than it was to keep changing gloves. This is an awful way to handle food, and a horrible excuse to tell me while my girlfriend is bedridden and in extreme pain due to how the chefs handle the food. Sandra offered no help either, stating that she would move us to a suite, but since it was our last night, there would be no point, so she couldn't help us. She did apologize for the food poisoning, and the horrible service, admitting that the staff did absolutely nothing to help out, saying that it was unacceptable, and that she would look into it.

The chef in Nautilus was cooking burgers with no gloves on, touching both the raw and cooked meat with his bare hands without washing in-between. He put the burgers on the grill, and placed a dirty porcelain tray on top of the patties as they cooked, then flipped them and touched the cooked part with his filthy bacteria-laden hands.

I spoke to her about how the room was never restocked with water or toilet paper, and how we were told that they will be brought to the room, and it never came. The tea they promised never showed up. The water and toilet paper never showed up. The staff wouldn't help with anything. They were absolutely useless. Sandra said she would bring up anything we need herself, and I said we needed toilet paper and water, and it STILL NEVER CAME!

The service and food at this resort were atrocious, sickening even, and our entire vacation was completely ruined by staying here. We spent close to $4,000 on this trip, and we enjoyed 10% of it. The other 90% was spent in agony. I will never recommend anyone stay here. I will never stay here again. I am going to paste this entire note on all of the review sites and social media sites in hopes of warning other guests about this poorly managed establishment. This was, by far, the WORST resort/hotel experience I've ever encountered, yet it was the most expensive. You absolutely do not get what you pay for when staying at the Riu Palace. Most people go to Aruba and don't want to come home, as for us, we could wait to leave.

I stayed at the Riu from 6/28/16-7/4/16 and my entire experience was horrible! My sons iPod got stolen (out of my room) and when I reported it they stated that they were sending security right away. When security arrived, he started going through my entire room INCLUDING my purse as if I were lying then asked me if I was sure it was in my room. He then asked me "So what do you want to do because if you call the police they won't do anything." The food was HORRIBLE! No flavor, flies everywhere landing on the food, not to mention ROACHES crawling on the floor in the dining area.

The walk to the rooms are not covered so when it rained and stormed you have to walk a far distance to get to your room. The smell outside of the rooms smelled like trash everyday. I was there and the smell inside the rooms smelled like mildew. My sheets were dirty and were not changed because sand was in my bed and the same stain was on my sheets. Customer Service was horrible and some staff was rude! I would not recommend ANYONE to stay at this hotel EVER!!!

This brand new resort opened June 04/16. We arrived June 10/16 for one week. We knew going this was a no drink service hotel and that is not a problem for us, but not having more than 2 premium drink selections is an issue. Have very few king size beds is another issue, garden view rooms on one side with a bank of very loud roaring a/c's for the resort next door, so loud you cannot use your balcony is just plain ridiculous and unacceptable. If you be firm you might get moved to a better or worse location eventually lol.

Food was ok. Nothing great, but you won't starve. We needed our TV hooked up to cable and it took numerous phone calls, going down to front desk, being hung up on twice and manager always occupied, finally got a supervisor and 3 hours later after we showed the tech the problem we were fixed. So it was obvious even though they told us for 2 and a half hours he was on his way was not true.

Skimmers were never cleaned until a guest went to someone to be cleaned in the middle of our first week. They were just filthy. Pool decks had never been washed down until June 15 when the Sunwing reps showed for their grand opening tour, and boy did the resort put on a show for them making service etc. special for them, so they would have gotten the impression this was the norm (well it wasn't). 2 security even popped up lol.

Mind you the resort does look nice but very no frill for room amenities, drinks, etc. Customer service is poor and a lot of the staff did not look happy IMO. Found out on the way home yesterday that some people were getting drinks brought to them all day as they were tipping like crazy. This is not right again IMO. On our last day June 17 they finally made a path through the sand dunes in middle of resort. You still can't see the ocean but better still was no washrooms or permanent bar on beach (beach is beautiful).

No shade for you on the beach unless you get up before 6am. People were even saving them 7pm at night. They don't even give you a pen and paper in the room, no big deal but come on. WIFI was great. That was about the only really good thing. The young and not fussy drinkers all think it was over the top, but from the more mature people we spoke most of them said it was their first and last time at this resort. And also being a RIU Class Member doesn't do anything for you, but we found that was at most of RIU's we have stayed at.

One more last rant, the elevators OMG, small, hot, smelly, dirty, slow and everyday one sometimes 2 would break down, good job they only had 4 floors to climb. Hopefully some of these issues (there are more) will get sorted, but I doubt it. Some of these little things should never have been an issue. They don't even have a cold water dispenser at the bars so you can get your own. I won't even go on about the punta cana airport or Sunwing reps. We got this resort for a very good price and now know why. Bottom line if you just want to drink anything and get drunk you will be fine, or if you know the big wigs we'll be there. Things will be much better.

I just read the review from June 4th which is when we were there. I agreed with what was written. My husband and I were so excited about this trip. When we arrived at the hotel, we didn't have air conditioning for the first half of our stay there and we were miserable!!! The staff at the front desk kept saying it should be fixed at any time but we had two nights without sleep. It was horrible, the bathroom floor was wet, the sheets on the bed, damp and it smelled bad/musty. We were so disappointed and uncomfortable. The meals were wonderful, and the staff was professional and very kind (aside from the front desk staff). The pool was nice, kept clean and the view of the ocean was great and right next to the hotel. The rest of our visit went better once we had air although the room still smelt musty. We're not sure that we would stay at a RIU resort again but a few of our friends have told us that usually the rooms are nice.

My husband and I are currently staying at RIU Palace in Paradise Island and I have to tell you that it had been by far the WORST EXPERIENCE of our lives. First of all, the air conditioner has been broken for 48 hours now. Each time we talk to the front desk staff they rudely tell us "they are working on it." Then last night late we were told it was fixed... it obviously was not because when we got into our room it was a sauna... we called down to the front desk to tell them and the woman on the phone rudely told me "It's fixed ma'am" and hung up on me. When I called back she said she would send someone up to our room to check it... which was a TOTAL LIE because no one ever came. This morning, my husband who has a blood disorder slipped on the floor getting off the elevators due to the condensation from having no air conditioning in the building. In doing so he has a huge hematoma on his ankle and knee and can hardly walk.

Then the internet (which is promised on their website) has been down for over 24 hours. We have had to go over to the Atlantis just for internet service, spend over $50 purchasing a fan for our sauna of a room, and been miserable the whole trip. We have talked to the management multiple times, along with many other hotel guests, only to be told there was nothing they could do and to email some email address to voice concerns. We spent over $3000 on the vacation and I regret every second of it. I have always stayed at RIU Palace hotels from Aruba to Mexico... but NEVER EVER again. No one should be treated like this after paying good, hard earned money that took over two years to save up for.

My friends and I booked a stay at the Hotel RIU Bonanza Playa in Illetas, Spain for March 19-24 of 2016. We arrived the afternoon of the 19th and were checked in by Eva at the front desk. We were then asked if we wanted to use the safe and they stated it would be three hundred (300) Euros per day. We were then escorted to our room and the bellman told us they didn't have activation codes to give for the safe and he would have to enter a hotel code. Should've know something was up at this time. He came to the room (Bruno is his name) and activated the safe and attempted to view the code I was using to place our items in the safe. I had to ask him to turn his head and look the other way. This portion is very important... Stay tuned.

We then settled into our room, after requesting a different room due to it being at the end of a dark hallway. The front desk person, Eva, informed us there were no more rooms as the hotel was sold out. We found out the next day, this was not true. We kept the room and got dressed to go to dinner. We left the hotel to go to dinner around 8:30 and also went to a wine lounge downtown Majorca. After returning to our room we discovered our room had been accessed and the entire safe was CUT, YES I SAID CUT from the cabinet in the wall. All of our items were stolen, two laptops, cellphone, three passports, and cash in Euros.

Apparently the hotel staff broke into our room, stole the safe and used my large duffle like tote bag and my friend's suitcase to roll the items right out of the front door. Yep that's what happened because the suitcase and duffle bag were stolen and they took the identifying ribbon from my friend's suitcase. There wasn't any access to the outside balcony and the screen door was locked to the balcony. We called the hotel security, they came and confirmed the findings and called the Palma Police. We then entered into this long drawn out battle with the hotel management staff!!! We had to make them fly us to Barcelona to get new passports that their staff stole and have been in a constant struggle to receive payment from the stolen items.

Today we received an email after providing them with an insurance list of the items lost and the email stated they were no longer going to fund our lost items. They forged my friend's name on a rental contract we never were shown or signed at the time of receiving the safe. When I spoke with the hotel's director, Annabel, she stated we signed the contract and were given an activation code and the signed contract. But you recall... the bellman told us they didn't have an activation code and we never signed or received a safe deposit box contract. THEY FORGED MY FRIEND'S NAME ON THE CONTRACT.

The next morning after the theft, the hotel's director, Tolo **, attempted to have us sign the contract in arrears... we declined and told him we were NEVER presented with the contract at the time of check in and weren't going to sign it. He asked questions about who checked us in and which bellboy went to our room and agreed with us not signing the contract.

Fast forward to today... May 7, 2016; they now have some contract with a false signature stating only 300 Euros will be paid from the insurance company. LIES!!! If this was the case why did your insurance company have us fill out a losses and damages form that far exceeds the amount of three hundred Euros??? Also, WE NEVER signed the contract! They forged a name then had the audacity to say the police found the contract in our room?? What police, because the Illetas police who took the report on the early morning of March 20 (I have a copy) never took any pictures of the room or wrote down anything. BUT NOW you have a police report with pictures of the contract? Lies!!!

The Riu and the Bonanza Playa people are dishonest. Do not stay at any of their hotels and don't trust them. I've attempted to contact their direct customer service via email and phone and have NEVER received a response. I'm thankful I have my life and they were only material things but it ruined our entire vacation, we lost work items, and these people are flat out dishonest!!!

Before I purchased the vacation package over the phone I kept asking to confirm the places I could stay. I didn't want the bait and switch. The reason I asked many times is the website they first give you doesn't show the resorts, it lists only places with nice stock photos. Then finally they divulged the place in CABO. I went to the website and thought it was nice. Once I paid and a month later I went thru the bullcrap to make a reservation. The resort I wanted had an additional fee associated with it.

I said OK. It is one of those deals so since I had a 3 vacation package I figured I would get a refund before going down these roads of bait and switch, shifty sales people. I don't need the headache. Well everyone I spoke to is either quiet or etc... I can't get the same person ever. I am waiting on my refund and as you would figure I am chasing it down. No one ever knows what is going on and I expect this to continue. I do think I will get it. I just have to work for it. This place gives others a bad name. I should have known better. DON'T BUY THE VACATION PACKAGES FROM THE PHONE. It's not worth your time and testing of your patience and a disgrace to my intelligence.

I was a little disappointed trying to book a reservation for the Caribbean. Their English was so bad that after 15 minutes going back and forth I had to give up. They were speaking with such a heavy accent that we could not communicate anymore. They could not even find the hotel that I gave them. I ended up booking with Iberostar instead. Much easier!

Having spent our last four vacations at RIU properties, we felt the need to register our disappointment In the RIU Bambu. We were there for vacation from March 9, 2016 until March 16, 2016. As far as Customer Service goes: We were not impressed with the basic customer service skills of the staff. We registered a couple minor maintenance issues in our room after checking in, the shower handle kept falling off and a burned out light bulb over the vanity. Even though these issues were reported three times, they were never fixed during our seven day stay. It would have taken less than five minutes to fix both problems.

The couple we were vacationing with waited five days for the remote control for the TV in their room. None of the servers, bartenders, maids were at all friendly with the exception of Karen, server in the evening bar area and Farlynn, server in the Mexican restaurant and MamaJuana restaurant. All anyone would have to do in those areas, would be to smile or say hello but that courtesy was very lacking.

As far as Cleanliness/ Sanitation goes: Every restaurant/ buffet we went to, we found dirty dishes, cups and flatware. After a while, you begin to wonder about the cleanliness of the food prep areas. One night when we went to the buffet, they were prepping a table for us and they were not going to change the tablecloth which was stained with the previous diners meal. Another problem in the buffet was the lack of identification of the foods on the buffet. Only a few items were labeled, the rest was a guess. That could really be a serious problem for people with food allergies. Tables in the bar area were not cleaned in between guests. The glasses would be removed but the tables never wiped. It's not pleasant sitting at a dirty table trying to enjoy your evening. Even when the bar was closing, the tables did not get wiped down to start the next day clean. The table tops were left filthy every night.

Room cleanliness was barely acceptable. We wonder how a maid could clean a shower when the handle keeps falling off. There should be a checklist in place for the maid to register maintenance issues for the rooms as well as inventory what each room is missing. For example, our room was missing a blanket and extra pillows. The couple we were vacationing with were missing a remote control for the TV in their room. There is no doubt that everyone works very hard at running the resort. A few details need to be looked at to make it an even better resort. In our opinion, the RIU Bambu is not a five star property, barely a four star.

RIU PALACE - ARUBA. Am following up on RIU's intent to compensate/reimburse guests that were staying at the palace when the fire broke and we were relocated to the Holiday Inn. We were into our 3rd day of 7 and went from a suite to a motel room. Did not have the liquor in the room, no ocean view balcony (although did have a view of the parking lot). One restaurant (other than the same old buffet). Subpar accommodations and food.

The follow-up communication to your guests that were affected during the incident is as stellar as the communications during the incident (NON-EXISTENT). I will be relentless in pursuing the RIU. Holding you accountable for your negligence and poor customer service. Tweets, blogs, posts, newspapers, travel agency's, any way, shape or form to advise those folks of the RIU's lack of response, information and/or intent to compensate/reimburse those folks that were impacted by the fire (caused by RIU's WILLFUL negligence). This cannot and will not be swept under the carpet or if time will pass and guests will forget. Too much money spent for services/accommodations not received.

Will promote any OTHER all-inclusive OTHER than the RIU. How about the Ritz-Carlton? Nice 5-star rating. Actually walked up there and it was beautiful. Spoke to some guests and they loved it. Same for the Marriott-Stellaris. I shall expect a timely response as the RIU has had time to decide your course of action on satisfying your agreement/contract with guests (me) that was impacted by the fire and compensate/reimburse accordingly.

I went to Riu Aruba last week. When I booked I had 2 choices: 2800 at the Riu palace or 2300 at the Riu Antillas next door so I chose the palace thinking only normal that I would get more, bigger balcony, better food. Well another couple we know stayed at the Antillas same week paid 500.00 per person less and got a balcony and ate crabs legs one night and lobster another so why did I pay more? They have the same restaurants, a better buffet, same pool, room with a balcony while my room had no balcony and I did not eat any seafood - asked the front desk only to be told I can upgrade to a balcony for more money and then spoke to a manager that was in the buffet said he would look into it but never came to back to see me.

We had just returned from Puerto Plata Riu Bachata. Had the most disgusting and horrible vacation there. I want to warn people not to go there because they will go thru the same living hell what my family went thru. The service was just horrible there. Drinks and food didn't taste good at all; AC never worked; shower never worked well at all; rooms were dirty and smelly; the staff isn't friendly; nobody spoke English; food was put away an hour before closing time... And on top of that, on our 5th day, the keys from the room and from our vault was stolen from my bag. They emptied us out. Took everything: 3 US passports, the airline tickets; our two wallets filled with about $600 in cash and credit cards, a men's watch, a smart Samsung phone, a diamond ring; an iPod; an iPad... The manager there didn't help us at all.

It was very suspicious of what's going on and felt like it is definitely an inside job. We wouldn't be surprised if this top general manager of Riu Bachata is involved in this burglary. Nobody did any searching nor investigation. They took the bad news as something that they already familiar with. They weren't even surprised of what happened to us. Very unfriendly staff and weren't willing to help us. We were sooo upset and depressed. Our vacation was a living hell between traveling every other day to their town to the Police Department, Western Union; photo center; and finally to the US Embassy.

The resort is just horrible and not safe at all. I was afraid to walk around the resort with my daughter without my husband being next to us. And the sad part is that Riu Bachata refused to take any responsibility of the robbery. They are definitely covering some scam. Very very unsafe!!! Stay as far away as possible!!! Horrible and disgusting place to be in. Would never go back and making sure nobody else experiences the same hell we went thru. Just away away from Riu Bachata Puerto Plata!!! Don't ruin your vacation!!!

Our vacation, January 16-22, 2016 to the Riu Palace Bavaro in the Dominican Republic was not enjoyable and we were not compensated or helped with the unacceptable situations. When we booked the vacation we were looking forward to a beautiful, peaceful and all-inclusive vacation which we did not receive. It all started upon arrival to the Dominican Republic. We booked the hotel shuttle through Hotelbeds. Finding our shuttle was close to near impossible. We went to the kiosk and was told which bus to find out of a ton of buses and people who didn't speak English to help us. It took over an hour to finally find someone who could call a shuttle to pick us up. The shuttle driver almost crashed many times speeding and weaving through traffic in order to get us to our hotel as quick as possible, rather than being concerned about our safety.

When we arrived at the hotel the bellboy took our bags up to our VIP room we paid for. He stood in our room waiting for a tip. I did not have change and since the website said all gratuities were included was not prepared to tip. However, the next day I did get change and gave him a tip. I was confused and asked the front desk about tipping and was told it was not included even though it was on the website. The day before we left, the director Miguel told me it was included and was up to our discretion.

Our first room was not very clean, looked run down, there was hair on the bed, floors were dirty, the sinks overflowed that the cleaning ladies removed the stopper. Mini bar was not stocked, in fact there was an open bottle of tonic water in the fridge. We paid for an ocean view room and could barely see any water and the cards to order in room breakfast were missing. But that was not the main issues. The deadbolt on the door did not lock and the worst was the thermostat was broken so the room did not get above 63 degrees. So we felt unsafe at night and absolutely freezing to the point I couldn't sleep. I made the hotel manager Enrique aware of the situation and he sent a supervisor to check on the issues. After confirmation, he said he can move our rooms but not until the next day. Therefore, we were forced to sleep in that room for another night.

In addition, they did not attempt to fix the issues with the room which was a VIP room we paid for. When I asked for be upgraded if they didn't have a comparable room, I was told he didn't have anything available even though the hotel was very quiet and I later found out from the director Miguel that Enrique could have assisted us with an upgrade but chose not to and left us in that room.

The next day we moved our room without any help from the hotel. The were no elevators and both rooms were on the 3rd floor. The next room had issues also. The upper rain shower was broken and sprayed water everywhere, they had painters above us who were scrapping paint on us as were sat on our balcony. When I spoke to Enrique again he said this doesn't happen. I have many customers who don't have problems like this. He blamed us even though all the problems were confirmed by their supervisors. They had to fix our shower and ask the painters to stop scrapping paint on our balcony. Again no compensation was made.

When my husband went back to the room one day, there were 5 painters in our room doing our balcony with our room door propped open. We had no notice of painting being done on our balcony or wet paint signs. Plus our room was open to whom even wanted to come in. Nelson the manager said we are just painting, this happens and dismissed our concerns.

I feel the hotel was oversold online. The casino was extremely small and dirty. The wi-fi didn't work most of the time. The only time I was able to login repeatedly was on the balcony in my room and the lobby. Free wi-fi was also marketed aggressively the same as all-inclusive on the hotel website where I booked my vacation. It was marketed as one of the newest hotels and was very run down. I was treated with disrespect by the staff. I do not speak Spanish but can understand it enough to hear that I was made fun of by the casino hosts for not being able to have a conversation with them.

We tried to use the other hotel cafes which were supposed to be included only to be turned down therefore were forced to only use the amenities in our hotel. The restaurants only had a few options and the food was horrible forcing us to eat in the buffet for most meals. One restaurant caused actually me to have a severe food allergy reaction. I was recovering from tooth pain and asked for ibuprofen or Aleve. They understood at the front desk what I was asking for and said they don't have a shop that carried medicine. So they called the pharmacy and tried to charge me $22. The next day I found the same amount of Aleve in their gift shop with many other medications for $8. So I felt conned and lied to.

Overall, the vacation was absolutely horrible. From the room experiences, customer service, food, managers attitudes, I was left very disappointed. The evening before we left I was advised to file a report with corporate and was able to speak to the director of the hotel named Miguel. He said corporate should rectify this terrible experience and I agree. I was also told that this situation and report was submitted to corporate on January 22nd but have not heard anything yet even though I was told corporate would contact me.

Since we arrived, we left the apple watch in the room safe. This (safe box) did not work, staff made the arrangement, and the same was made in 3 rooms that belong to our family. The day of our check out, I opened the safe , took my wallet, leaving a bag of passports of my wife. She indicated me that left it open. After she picked up the bag, safe was left open. The clock was just behind this bag. We traveled to Manzanillo. Arriving, we noticed the fact. Immediately we called to the hotel. First spoke with Leo at 12 am. He sent some people to review the room, he said that nothing was left (safe was open). Room wasn't rented the day we left. In the morning, we talked to Miriam (customer service), but nothing helped us. Finally, we speak with Francisco **, manager of the hotel... The same thing.

I was in the Riu Palace Punta Cana From January 4 through January 11, 2016. When we arrived we had issues with our room keys, three times we had to go back to the front desk to gain access to our room upon check-in. And when we tried to use our room safe we called the front desk and they did resolve the issue quickly.

The next day, $1200 was missing from my locked safe in my room. I spoke with Miquel, the Manager and he was rude, condescending and not willing to help me in any way, shape or form. I was so upset I threw up for 2 days. I went back the next day and asked for a copy of my report that I filled out and he refused to give my anything. Later that day another guest told me he was missing $200 from his safe as well. And yet again, at the pool, another guest told me her diamond earrings were stolen from her safe. Management did not do anything for these guests either. I find this very disturbing and will never recommend or frequent this hotel again.

I have made multiple attempts to file a complaint with the RIU without success. My complaint is as follows: First time visiting Dominican Republic but not first time staying at a RIU. The hotel on arrival was elegant and beautiful with a closed in and air conditioned lobby. Our first room smelled like mold and had double beds when we specifically asked for king. We opted to upgrade to another room and paid an additional $150, which also smelled like mold (other guests told us they were upgraded for free). The bed spread had a white smear on it and a few areas of what looked like dry blood so we removed it and found other spots of what looked like dry blood on the sheets. We called room service to change them and they did but replaced the bed spread with a blanket that did not cover the king bed and said we would get bed spread in am but it never came during our stay. The bed was very firm.

The view from the patio was nice however one of the chairs broke while sitting in it causing a fall to the ground, spilled drink, broken glass and cut toe. Our room was on top floor and the elevator was not working a lot and we reported it to the front desk but it continued. A cup with a drink in it sat in the corner of the elevator for 3 days. The pool was very clean and nice. The swim up bar always had a lot of bees were flying around it. Many of the hotel guests were sick with diarrhea, including us. We've never been so sick on a vacation or spoke to so many people at one resort that were sick as well. I watched a small boy vomit into his dad's hands in the dining hall. I observed several guests touching food and not using tongs. Some food was cold although it was under heating lamps. Once we stopped eating the resort food (bought our own food) the symptoms resolved. We however started to eat the resort food again and symptoms returned.

The beach had several people walking around to everyone aggressively trying to sell stuff. It was not relaxing. This happened at the pool even but not as much. The nightly entertainment was very poor. Many staff were rude. One manager pushed us aside to board the elevator before us. Staff were aggressive trying to get guests into the casino of 8 slot machines in a small room. We did not enjoy our stay with RIU Palace Punta Cana and will not be returning.

I just want to say we had the most fabulous vacation ever!!! We fell in love with the people, the place, the views and the country! At the RIU you are treated as a best friend and family member. So many kind, smiling, friendly, helpful staff and entertainment. I have no complaints and will stay over and over again at the RIU! I want to thank you all, including, Winston, Shampoo, Rosemarie, Tashalee, Smiley. Jcool, Niki, Ricki, Damien, and I wish I could mention you all. Thanks for the best vacation and birthday ever!!!

I'm surprised at so many of the negative comments here on the RIU chain. Our stay at the RIU Palace Riviera in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico was very nice. The hotel was beautiful, and the staff couldn't have been more helpful or nicer. The room was always kept very clean, but because of the humidity did have a slight musty odor. Not a big problem though. There were no bugs, or ants or bed bugs in the bed (first thing I checked!), and the bed was quite comfortable. The food selections in the buffet restaurant were laid out beautifully, but to me the taste was sometimes a hit or miss, but for the most part just fine. The quality and service in the sit down restaurants was better, I think. There was always some place to get a meal or a drink at any given hour of the day.

There was some sort of entertainment every night, although not always to my taste, and games, lessons, sports activities and music down at the gigantic pool, and beach side. The beach at the RIU Palace is huge and beautiful, with tons of lounge chairs right on the beach, in the palm trees for shade, and all around the pool side. The waiters and activity staff at the beach and pool were stellar. My only complaint was with one of the travel companies in the hotel, Lomas Travel, that we had a problem with (our driver abandoned us at a location!) so we wouldn't recommend them. We will definitely come back to stay at this hotel again.

Just returned from the Riu Santa Fe in Cabo San Lucas Mexico. There were issues from the get go - leaking room, poor food quality, drinks that contain poor quality alcohol but the worst experience was coming back to my room only to find my new Apple Watch that I had just received as a birthday gift that day stolen by the staff. There was no sign of forced entry so it is safe to say there are spotters in this hotel that watch to see when guests leave the room and work together to complete the theft seamlessly.

I advise you to stay away from this hotel. The management is most likely in on this as well. The manager goes through this "investigation" that of course turns up nothing and could care less about your loss. I have stayed in many resorts over my lifetime and never have I felt so violated and angry. This trip was supposed to be a relaxing escape and instead it was my worst nightmare. I tried to contact the Riu corporate headquarters in Spain but I got a auto reply. Just disgraceful.

We got there and had issues from the beginning. We went to our initial rooms that were booked and the first room smelled like mold/mildew. Along with the smell, there were ants crawling everywhere in the bathroom. The second room smelled like cigarettes and the sheets looked like they had been used with traces of hair. It was the worst way to start the trip.

After getting switched rooms, wasting valuable vacation time, we tried to go eat at the restaurant. We were told very rudely the restaurant was not open. Service was extremely bad during our stay there, in the restaurant, at the front desk, over the phone (which no one would answer). Food was even worse. We do not eat pork due to religious reasons and even after asking if there was pork in a dish, we were told wrong, there was pork in the food. For people that do not drink, there were not any fresh juice drink options besides orange juice.

Here comes the worst of the worst. From night one, I was not able to sleep on the bed properly - it just felt disgusting and smelled. After the second night, my husband had some itchy skin and decided to look under the covers. We found several bed bugs crawling around on the mattress. I have never in my life felt that disgusted. I had to throw away my clothes that I wore when I laid in that bed along with any clothes that I had laying on the bed. I come to vacation to get infested with bed bugs, wow! I couldn't believe that this was happening!

I am not the type of person to go to low class resorts. I paid a lot of money for my stay there and nothing matched the price - the rooms, service, food, class, NOTHING. My friend and I were so disgusted. We checked the second and also found reddish spots on the mattress which is a sign on bed bugs. I have been itching my skin since I got to that hotel and now I am already back home. Honestly what made matters even worse after finding those bugs was the way management handled the situation. We were all shocked.

The current manager on duty at that time from 4pm to 9pm on September 2nd was Jorge. We took him to the rooms where he himself saw the live crawling bugs and said he would switch us rooms. I am such a clean person and at that moment, I felt the dirtiest I have ever felt. I couldn't stay there one more second. There were no room of sympathy or urgency to help the situation out. It was hours of waiting in the lobby to speak to the managers and getting the constant run around. Us 4 stood in the lobby for 5 hours with our luggage, all frustrated and upset and angry, and this is all in the midst of what is suppose to be our well deserved vacation.

After speaking to Victor **, the sub-director, he apologized for the incident and said he would have his sales team open the case for our refund for the hotel. We had to book another hotel with our credit card that we shouldn't even be using to get us off the streets of Cabo. The stay at Riu Palace from Sept 2 to 4 had ruined our entire trip to Cabo and something that will haunt us forever. I need someone with authority and someone who cares about this company to respond to this issue immediately or I will be taking actions into my own hands with this pictures and video.

From 9/08/15 - 09/13/15. Visit the Riu Palace Punta Cana. I am very disappointed for the following reasons: 1) Found bed bugs in my bed and I have the bites all over our bodies to prove it. 2) Found blood stain on comforter. 3) Chip paint on on bathroom and spa. 4) Rude service at spa and buffet head chef will not allow us to eat when all this services are prepaid in advance. 5) Very small hotel property and pool. 6) Extreme outdoor and indoor smoking allow (family and kids allow). 7) Flies on all food buffets indoor/outdoor. 8) All inclusive limited time only resort. 9) Room service was never provided and was included all inclusive services. 10) When buffets are close only low quality snack are available.

11) Moldy and dirty ice bucket found in my room with old stinky beer was never change into I talk to them twice. 12) Burn electricity sockets - I talk to them and was never fixed. 13) A la carte dinner only restaurants are only available by appointment only. Can be made from 8:am to 11:am. If you can't make you have to eat at buffet that is full of flies. 14) As a kids friendly resort smoking should not be allowed there. Thank you for your attention.

My name is Aleksandra ** and my daughter, my friend and myself stayed at Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril August 23-August 30. When we first purchased our vacation through Signature Vacations, we made sure that the resort would be 5 star. It was very important to us to have a vacation that we have waited so long for. We expected luxury, as we would from a 5 Star Resort, especially from Riu Palace! But when we arrived, we were highly disappointed! HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED, and let me tell you that this resort deserves the most 3 Stars.

The "standard" rooms that faces a very busy road, to where it is impossible to sleep at night, and never mind opening a balcony for some fresh "tropical" air. When we made a complaint we were upgraded to a better room, with a forever running toilet, day and night, for 5 whole days. On the 6th and 7th it was finally fixed! Thank you for at least 2 days of peaceful night.

From the two "wonderful" swimming pools where my daughter spent most of her time, she developed a rash throughout her whole body. We saw the very unpleasant nurse that the hotel offered. I am a paying customer, I pay for your services, to come and examine my child, at least you can do is talk to me like I am a human. Note to self, never get sick on hotel property. So our last day was spent in a room because the cream my daughter was prescribed couldn't be exposed to the sun.

The food was a disaster! For such a world famous resorts it was ridiculous. Flies, melted dessert on the display, canned fruit, dried out vegetables, everything either fried or melted with cheese, the soups tasted like the water from the ocean, salty and watery. For a person of myself who is vegan, my choices were very limited. The only better part of it was the Ala Carte Restaurants. And I say better, not great! So was the service. At the buffet, unless you tip your waiter in the beginning of your meal, only then you may expect good service. I don't mind tipping, but I prefer to do it after I was pleasantly served. I'm sure you would do the same.

The property! Oh, the property! I'm sure at some point of Riu Palace's life this hotel was fabulous, but with time, just like everything else it gets old and it is very understandable. But it is up to you to keep up its appearance, to put signs where signs are missing, as simple as a bathroom sign. Everyone was using a bathroom with two stalls and showers because the door--next door to it with a proper bathroom was missing a sign. I only figured that out when I noticed that the men side had that.

The broken doors, the chipped paint, the missing cover for the toilet paper, 5 garbage cans for the whole property, no smoking anywhere but not one "No Smoking" sign. The two pools next to each other, one crystal clear and the other one foggy and disgusting. One waiter running on the beach, taking your order and you sit there waiting for 30 minutes to get your drink. A very strange "manager" running around fixing towels at the gym! Towels! The only thing that did save this resort was the beach, and that should not be the reason you gave yourself 5 Stars and get to charge customers such high prices! Get real people!

I paid $3600 for 2 people. I as easy going as I am was not only very disappointed but disgusted! I stayed at Riu Palace in Aruba. Another old hotel, understood. But the food, the service, the people made up for it. Here in Negril I can't say the same, not even close. At the end as well as in the beginning of my vacation I felt ripped off, robbed and improperly treated. Just because of my expectations, the price that we paid, left disappointed and sad. I include some pictures for you from the resort to argue my statements and my discuss. I just made a point to do so because it was that bad! I would like to get a contact information for the head office of Riu. There is no information for their complaint office anywhere on their sites.

We stayed at the Riu Palace Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic (August 22 thru August 29, 2015). We used the cheap Caribbean website for the first and last time. We are not seasoned traveler but we have traveled overseas many times. First of all, the bed had bedbugs and the room had sand fleas. The following morning we contacted the front desk to complain about the bugs and the bites on our bodies. The maid service came and informed us that the room was already fumigated for bugs before our arrival but that they would fumigate the room again. Also, there weren't any available rooms that we could have switched. Great; now we are breathing in toxin fumes from the bug repellent they used and we are still getting bitten.

By day 3 we had diarrhea from the food and fruits that were not fresh. The food was horrific; the dining rooms staffs were rude and many make inappropriate remarks towards women and gay men. Every day we found the patio doors opened though we locked them before we left the room. Apparently, being safe is not a priority for Riu's hotel guest. The beach area was not cleaned, it was covered with seaweed, cigarette butts, and plastic cups.

But the best part of my vacation was the Amstar transportation staff affiliated with Cheap Caribbean and the Riu hotels. They are idiots; they left us stranded at the airport during the Erika tropical storm. It's inhumane and deplorable how Riu treats their paying guest. The Dominican Republic and all overseas government should ensure proper health inspections in all hotels. Riu should be fined with health violations and failure to keep their guest safe.

RIU Hotels Company Profile