1.45/5

104 RIU Hotels Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I booked a flight and hotel through RIU and, unfortunately, I had to cancel it. I received an airline credit to be used within 1 year with the same airline that I initially utilized on my flight. About 11 months later (now) I am attempting to book my new flight with the $1,259.02 airline credit, and then I am getting the runaround. First, their instructions for re-booking state that I have to contact Expedia to re-book but Expedia stated that they are unable to re-book. They've transferred me to RIU Vacations call center to re-book. The call center is stating that I am unable to book with them since I am only booking a flight and not an entire vacation package (flight + hotel). I am told that I am not allowed to use the flight vouchers to pay for a vacation package even if I were to same with the same airline that the voucher is for.

I've been on the phone with them for 5 hours today. Every time I ask to speak with a supervisor I am put on hold and after waiting for 10-15 minutes I get hung up on. I have to call back and be put through the ringer yet again. Most recently, I was being told that the flight that I want is far more expensive than what I am seeing online, and I am told that a re-book flight is far more expensive so I have to pay the difference on top of paying a $400 fee to re-book. Every website I have checked has shown me the flight at a price lower than what I'm told by RIU so I am assuming that they are charging me extra to pocket the fees. I will be filing complaints and contesting all fees with my credit card companies.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

We checked in Aug 1st, settled in and packed all of our passports and some cash in one of the safes so we would have everything together. When we went into the safe the next morning the password was changed. When security came to open it there was $200 US dollars missing out of our money. They did absolutely nothing to rectify the issue, they even blamed us for stealing our own money or for leaving the safe open. So much contradictions and the whole management team is full of **.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2019

DO NOT STAY HERE!! PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS. I AM WARNING YOU! I do not know how anyone gave this place more than one star. The RIU Paradise Island hotel is horrible. I hate to insult people, but they clearly have never stayed at a nice all inclusive. I am not a high maintenance person, I do not live a lavish life but this place is a nightmare. To compare, I’ve stayed at Live Aqua and ME by Melia in Cancun, Bavaro in Aruba and Majestic Colonial in Punta Cana. I came to the RIU for my sister's bachelorette party that we’ve been looking forward to for months and we were all sooo disappointed within the first hour of arriving. The place smells like damp towel, and the hallways smell like white vinegar. I can get past the stench, but what really threw us over the edge was ‘snack time’. The ‘snack time’ consisted of old cheese burgers, hot dogs, nachos, salad and some other gross food. We had that after checking in.

We then went outside to the bar area and ordered drinks. They were the worst drinks I’ve ever had in my life. The consistency and taste were horrible. My friend ordered a mojito and it looked like salad in a cup. It was just all leaves mixed with alcohol that tasted like gasoline. The pina colada that I ordered was sugary crap with a puddle of rum on top. Dinner was a joke for two reasons. One: you have to wait on a long line like cattle for two seating times. 6 or 8 o clock. Which means you need to get off of the beach or pool very early just so you can eat a crappy meal. Two: the portion sizes were a joke. We actually laughed every night at dinner. The ‘shareable appetizers’ wouldn’t even fill an infant. We were late to dinner every night because we had a blackout every night. Which means we were not ready in time.

My sister and I had adjoined rooms. We could not blow our hair using the hotel hair dryer at the same time because we would cause a blackout. So every night we had to try to coordinate who would use the hair dryer first. This caused us to be late to dinner and ultimately not having somewhere to eat for dinner. Luckily we were able to coordinate since it was my sister in the other room. Had it not been my sister or someone I knew, this would have been a big issue. The staff was rude. I can’t say that one staff men ever was friendly. All 6 of us felt like we were a burden at dinner and especially at ordering drinks by the pool. The staff would roll their eyes or tell us no. Even at dinner, some restaurants told us that we cannot order drinks or frozen drinks at dinner. This is so unheard of for me. Every all inclusive that I’ve been too everyone is very accommodating and friendly.

This place lovesss to tell their guests no. "Can I have coffee?" “IN A MINUTE!!” "Can I have a pina colada?" "No!" "Can I have Parmesan cheese?" "No!" "Can we have a table for six?" "No!" This place has no beach bar or beach service, a tiny pool and rude staff. Since there is no beach service, that means you will dehydrate to death. The room feels damp all of the time. It felt like I was sleeping in wet sheets every night. The few good things I can say about this place is that the wifi is good, the beach is gorgeous (ocean water crystal clear, no rocks, coral or seaweed) and it’s a two minute walk from Atlantis. We went to Atlantis every night because the RIUs entertainment center is ratchet and also a joke. Umbrellas and small tables on the beach were not always available. I am mind blown from this place. And the class of people that stay here are trash. I will never stay at a RIU ever again in my life.

My friends have a trip booked here and I told them how it is and they are changing the hotel. I didn’t pay all of this money to feel like an inconvenience on a vacation. It was supposed to be relaxing and it wasn’t. If you don’t have a sense of humor, then don’t stay here. All 6 of us laughed 24/7 at this place. We made so many jokes to last a life time. DO NOT STAY HERE!!! They need to clean up their act.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I would give negative stars if I could. Tried booking through the website, the booking failed but still charged $5,000 to my credit card. I called the support line, they said there was nothing they could do and I would have to dispute it with my bank. They told me to wait a little and try again. I waited an hour, tried to book again. Same thing and ANOTHER $5,000 charge to my account. Called again - they told me they could not give me any vouchers/discount for my serious inconvenience. Basically just took my money. I asked to speak to someone higher up or in a different department (ie billing), they said there were no other departments. They couldn't even book me over the phone because they said they just use the same website provided to customers. Ridiculous. If they can't even get their BOOKING to work, I can't imagine what the rest of the company is like.

Original review: June 30, 2019

Eight (8) of us traveled to Cabo in May 2019. On the third day two (2) of our locked safes were opened with staff key and money was stolen, over $2100. Sub-manager said he would launch internal investigation. BUT HOW, no security cameras on the property. He SAID he would run a report from electronic door locks then said no one entered the 2 rooms in 2 day, however, rooms had been cleaned and bar had been restocked. 1st lie we caught him in. Then we ‘witnessed the RIU Security escorting people to the beach to buy illegal drugs’, which the sub- manager denied also! Then the next day a man, without RIU uniform or ID, came to our hotel door, knocked on door and entered without our permission ‘to ‘fix’ the air conditioning‘, which we never reported as broken. Once confronted then he could not produce ID and ran off IMMEDIATELY.

Another couple was out on property and when they returned to their room, the maid had left the door OPEN and ajar, again the sub-manager DENIED his staff had gone in his room! Police in Cabo rated the RIU resorts the WORST in the region and told us horror stories of thefts in each of the three (3) resorts there! During our 6 day stay, we were approached by 10 ’other families who were ‘hit’ for cash, passports, jewelry, etc. and they were ALL told the same thing, management could not find anyone in staff who entered their rooms! Police are frustrated with RIU management because they DO NOT HELP POLICE! I recommend ‘DO NOT STAY AT ANY RIU RESORT INTERNATIONAL‘!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RIU Hotels?

Original review: May 29, 2019

A group of 20 family and friends stayed at this Resort, this is not a 4 star resort, I fact, I feel that I was being kind by giving it a 2 star. Our trip was Feb 10-Feb17, 2019. The resort did not have as advertised, an exchange meal plan, and it had not been recently updated as also advertised. In a week's stay we were without water for about 8 hours, no use of any facilities, and the next day and half no air conditioning. I complained to the Manager, and at best he was dismissive. He also told me that maybe our group should have stayed elsewhere.

I filed a complaint with the Riu Group when we returned, and have never had an answer, as they claim to be number one premier vacation group, that is very easy, IF you never reply to your previous customers. Won't happen again with us ever spending our vacation time and money on this "premier group". I would love to get to speak with a person at the Riu Resort Complaint Department. If anyone has any information on how to do this I would really appreciate it. Penny **

Original review: May 16, 2019

We were at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay in Negril Jamaica on May 1, 2019 - May 8, 2019 with our daughter, son in law and 9 month old grand daughter. This was our FOURTH stay there. We were very disappointed because we had cockroaches in both room for three days. We saw cockroaches in the hallways and near the restaurants. They used Orkin to bomb our room to get rid of the cockroaches and could not use it for 4 hours. Not one word of anything for our inconvenience at the resort. Put a formal complaint with the online management and the after travel management in Spain. They did nothing. Once they have your money you are on your own. Would not recommend this chain.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I traveled with my family to RIU Palace Hotel AGADIR on the 25/04/2019 and I have to say it was an absolute nightmare. We were enjoying at first until I went to use the ATM machine in the hotel and the machine only gave me 400 dirhams and I asked for 1000, so I contacted the reception straight away and the manager called Khalis came over to me speaking ok at first then he became so aggressive and said... "I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR ** country you stupid **," and I was so shocked and scared. I asked for the security to call the police and they said NO!! He then started abusing my daughter in front of my 3 year old grandson and he was so afraid he would not go to the restaurant. I have made several complaints but he is still being protected instead of being sacked. STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL!!! You have been warned.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I prefer not to give riu.com reservation company ANY stars, but that isn't an option. This is, by far, the worst experience in attempting to book a reservation. I attempted to book a flight w/ hotel twice with them. The first attempt, it stated there was an issue with my payment method, BUT it still managed to charge my card for both hotel and flight, with no confirmation email or any record of me trying to book. It took me 2 hours to discuss this with my bank and have this charge deleted from my account.

The customer service dept at riu.com gave me zero explanation of why this happened, they only told me that they are holding those funds, but "it should be released from my account in 4-5 days". WHAT?!?! Stupidly, I made another attempt at scheduling a reservation! My second attempt, I went through the whole process again and submitted my information and hit the, it was attempting to process and then this popped up: "We hate when this happens. The price of your trip has changed from $1,983.24 to $2,099.24. Rates can change frequently. Book now to lock in this price." They changed the price of the trip AFTER I hit submit. AGAIN...no reservation confirmation received, OR any record that I booked, BUT they certainly charged my card again!!! I DO NOT recommend this company, almost feels like it's a scam. I should have looked into reviews of this company prior to reserving with them!

Original review: March 10, 2019

My boyfriend and I stayed at RIU Palace in Cabo San Lucas on 2/19 - 2/26. My best friend got married at a RIU, we have stayed at a many different RIU’s and we even planned to ourselves get married at a RIU. After my stay in Cabo, I will never return to a RIU. We will not marry at a RIU and my friends will never return. It all started prior to us arriving in Cabo. 2 weeks prior to our vacation we had to call and make a change to our reservation. The lady we spoke to was very pleasant and made the changes we requested.

She reminded us to call and set up our transportation to/from the airport. If you book directly through RIU, they will shuttle you to and from. We asked if we could do it right then and she reported we HAD to do it the day before our departure. I set an alarm on my phone and called the day before. I was sent to 3 different numbers, everyone saying they could not set up the ride – for many different reasons. RIU (the number we had initially called and had told us to call back) said they didn’t do the transportation and referred us to a transportation company who said they didn’t do it and referred us to another RIU extension.

I decided the day before we left I was not going to stress out about this and would just eat it and pay for a taxi. We did that and the day after we arrived at the hotel I spoke with the front desk and explained what had happened and told them I wanted to secure my transportation for our last day there now so we did not need to worry about. They apologized and were more than happy to help with that. They referred me to the transportation people. We watched them write our room number in the scheduler and went on the rest of our vacation.

Then comes our day to leave. We arrive downstairs and they say they cannot find our info in the book (after we watched them write it down). Then their story changes and they say that we arrived downstairs at 9:21 (instead of 9:20) and that the shuttle (which was supposed to leave at 9:30) had already left. This was at 9:25. We went to the front desk who told us that “that transportation” is not RIU’s and they are separate. I inquired why they would send me to them after I had explained in depth the day I arrived our situation.

They had no answers. I asked to speak with a manager. Giovana was working the front desk and was the 2nd most unprofessional customer service agent I have ever encountered. Brenda, her manager, being the MOST unprofessional. She refused to come and talk with us, saying we could talk with transportation about it. We had already tried that! She was literally standing 10 feet away and refused to come over and talk with us. Nothing was done. I have stayed at many resorts and hotels and have never ever experienced something quite like this. We ended up paying (again) the $80 to get to the airport.

Aside from the transportation issues, the housekeeping there was VERY sketchy. I have never stayed at a hotel where they deliver towels to your room at 11 pm. Keep in mind, we already had our room serviced earlier that afternoon. After reading about how many people have recently had money/valuables stolen from their room, it kind of makes sense.

Another issue we had was that on several nights multiple restaurants were closed. This forced us to eat at the buffet more than we wanted. Dinner is 6pm-9pm and we would arrive downstairs for dinner at 6:30 pm to be told by every single restaurant open, that they were full for the remainder of the night. You pay a pretty penny to stay at a RIU, especially the Palace and you expect a few things in return, like decent food and some customer service. Like I said earlier, we will never return to a RIU.

RIU Hotels Company Information