1.49/5
Based on 90 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

92 RIU Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

This review may be all over the place. I am still very upset and very angry. We (4 of us) checked in on Friday Sept 28, 2018. My friends shared a room (2 females). They went to bed at 10:30 and awoke at 4:30 am to find they had been robbed. A man had entered thru the balcony door as they slept. He found my friend's purse on the cocktail table, took it back out onto the balcony, went through it and found the safe key. He went back into their room, opened the safe and stole $1060.00 from one friend and from the other $1000.00 and a $600.00 phone that was also in the safe. On the way out he grabbed my other friend's purse which had her driver's driver's license, her bank card, a digital camera and a bracelet in it. They weren't at the resort 12 hours! Security was called. I use the word security very lightly. They were a joke. Untrained, ignorant and beyond rude.

I asked if the police had been called. I was asked "If I wanted them called"? I said, "Yes, I would like them called right now". I was told they would call them when their investigation was done. An hour later when I asked if the police were called I was told "I tried to reach them, I haven't gotten them yet". I went to the front desk. I asked for the phone number of the police dept. I CALLED THE POLICE!!! As I was on the phone, the hotel called them as I was told by the person at the police dept. As I was standing in the lobby I noticed a young woman on the hotel phone crying. She was robbed while she slept too. Her room was a couple of doors away from my friends. When the detectives came some 45 mins later to investigate they really didn't seem to care either. They were just going thru the motions. They gave off the impression they were bothered to be there.

There were hands prints on the balcony wall outside of 3 rooms, very visible from their room. There were fingerprints on the glass slider. Neither the police or security took pictures or did anything about the handprints/fingerprints. We were told they didn't have the technology to do anything with them. My friends were treated like they were the guilty as was the other poor girl who was traveling alone. She lived in Jamaica. They treated her worse. We asked for the hotel manager over and over. We never saw him or talked to him in the 7 days we were there. We got the Public Relations rep Carlington **. The crappiness continued. He was smug and matter of fact. He moved their rooms when we asked him too. None of the women felt safe any more. Would you? What a violation. Can you image a man entering your room as you slept? How does one recover from that? What if my friends had woke up?

What if there was a struggle? What if he had a weapon? What if there were hurt or killed? No one cared. Not one "I'm sorry." The young girl was alone. What if she had been **? Or killed? She was alone, no one would have heard anything. There are no cameras anywhere near guests rooms, not in the halls, not on the steps. There aren't any lights on any of the balconies. Later that day we learned there were 2 American Tourist staying at the Riu in Montego Bay were ** at gun point in their rooms the day before we got there. He also came thru the balcony door. (It was all over the news). Back to Carlington **. He asked the girls if they could give him until the next day at 6pm to gather all the info and make some phone calls. We were to meet Sunday night. He called in the morning asked if "their rooms were ok and how they were".

When we came to the meeting nothing had changed and the bottom line was he wasn't in the position to do anything. He offered them Spa Treatments and passes to Dunn's river!!! Talk about a slap in the face. I can't or won't do a damn thing for you but how about a Spa Treatment? No cash. Not even a $100.00 knowing they had every bit of cash taken from the safe in their room. He said when we got home (which was in 5 days) someone would call them. (We have been home 3 days, no one has called). I also emailed 5 times, I posted on their FB page, I messaged them. I got an automated response and NOTHING ELSE!! Riu does not have a customer service number, you can only email. As of today no one has responded. As you can image my friends were devastated. They looked forward to this vacation for months. They spent a lot of money to come to Jamaica. Their vacation was pretty much over in 12 hours.

They spent most of their time in their room. As you can image how does one recoup from this? They never felt safe. I didn't feel safe. I have never felt unsafe at a resort before this. The only person who said she was sorry or cared at all was Erica the Amstar rep. She works for Apple. She sells excursions. She was the only one who helped. She did follow up calls to the police station. She called Apple to find out what our travel insurance covered. It does not cover cash or phones. She doesn't even work for the hotel. She showed more compassion and understanding than anyone. The police report was to be rushed to have back to us the day before we left. They never got a police report. No one from the Riu corporation ever spoke to us during the 7 days. We never saw or spoke to the manager, No one checked back in with my friends from Sun-Fri. I have stayed at Riu resorts in the past. I will never stay there again.

I won't go to Jamaica again. The employees we talked to told us this wasn't uncommon. It happens quite often. The maids would clean the room and leave the balcony doors unlocked after cleaning them. Happened twice in my room. Once in the room of my friend. I will give a fair review of the place. The resort is beautiful. The food is good. I recommend the Japanese place. The rooms all smelled musty from the drapes and couches. The rooms were very clean. The hotel front desk staff was unfriendly. The entertainment was also very good. They worked from early morning to midnight. I saw a review about watered down drinks. I was told they were watered down a few times. The pools were dirty!! The main pool was closed 3 days in a row until late afternoon to be treated. The main pool is full of mold. The grout is black from mold. Straws floated in the pool. Dirt and sand lined the bottom. Cups were in the bottom of the pool.

Staff ignored all the empty cups sitting around the pool until around 5. Security or shall I say the lack of security should alarm you. This is 2018. The room keys are real keys with your room number on the tag. You get handed a lock with an actual key. The safe is not digital. Other building in deluxe area had key cards. You should never have this experience when staying in a resort. Security needs training and Carlington ** should not be the face of that hotel. He needs sensitivity training and he needs to be removed from his position. I have never seen anyone handle something so poorly. This man is a joke. He made you feel unimportant. As a guest you are entitled to be treated with respect as are your concerns...everyone matters as does their safety. I hope this review finds its way up the chain. I hope you take what I've written to heart and consider it before choosing to go to the Riu in Ocho Rios.

There is no doubt in my mind THIS WAS AN INSIDE JOB!! This man had no fear, he knew his way around the room, he knew where the safe was and how to open it quietly. He also opened the balcony door with ease. When we compared notes with the other girl that was robbed it came out that the girl that checked them in offered them surprise upgrades on her own. She told them both "I'm going to upgrade you to a nicer room, keep it between us". No one care about that either. I hope this review helps. My friends stayed on the 2nd floor. Notice the overhang. He climbed that and walked down the whole row of rooms, scaling the divider wall between each room. Unnoticed by security.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I stayed at the RIU Santa Fe in Los Cabos from Sept 24-Oct 1. There were plenty of issues with the room from as soon as I arrived, however I was willing to overlook them as I was on a family vacation and all of the staff were (or seemed) really nice. I put my bag in the safe, had it locked the whole time other than on 2 occasions but the DND on the door the whole time I was there other than on 1 occasion. I only requested someone to enter my room on two occasions. I got full service once, and on another day I requested towels, and I was in the room when she brought them. She however didn't have anymore facecloths and we went to the pool, when we came back there were facecloths.

On a third day I requested water that never came and I had to go and retrieve it myself meaning nobody should have been in my room. On one other occasion I had noticed someone was in my room as someone had refilled my minibar though I didn't request it. I didn't think much of the occasions when my room was entered when it wasn't requested as we were drinking all the water in there while we were there and thought it was helpful to have it refilled and obviously the towels were used. On the day I went to check out, at 9 am I was repacking all my things and was counting my money to see what was left. I had $160 USD missing. One $100 USD bill and 3 $20 USD bills. The KIND soul who stole from me had enough restraint to leave me $50 in $5 dollar usd bills in my envelope.

I ripped apart my entire suitcase and wallet looking for the money. I have enough sense to know that I didn't put it elsewhere but I was willing to give it a shot. At 9:30 am I went to front desk to report my issue, I asked for a manager and was not directed to one. I was told to fill out a report, and that within 24 hours I would get an update from them on their investigation and I would get a note slipped under my door. I told them I was checking out that day and they said that their director would email me then with their resolution. I was given a sheet of paper with the "directors" email.

The following day, 24 hours went by and I still hadnt heard. I left it alone, gave them more time. Finally by the 3rd day, I emailed THEM asking for an update even though they should have reached out to me, no response. Emailed them again on the 5th day, no response. It is now October 8th, and I checked out on the 1st and I have still yet to receive an update on my case nor have I even received any sort of acknowledgment to my emails or my case.

DO not stay at the Santa Fe. -The housekeepers do not thoroughly clean, and the hotel has the worst communication skills on the planet. They wait till you check out to spring fees and charges on you that were never mentioned AND then have the nerve to be rude when you inquire why there is any charge at all for something that was their error. (It's an all inclusive resort, what if you didn't have money or spent it all as they never told you about them??)

-Something was leaving bites all over my legs the first 3 days I was there until I requested full service and had the sheets changed. (I do not know what was eating me but they were NOT mosquito bites.) -The hotel mirrors have these horrible giant black circles all over them. -The tub in our joined room needed work. -There were cockroaches in the hallway. -Tiny little red ants crawling on the tables at dinner at the buffet. -Server at the main bar in the lobby at night is extremely rude IF you don't tip. -Food was mediocre at best.

Then when we were finally checking out, the Sunwing staff was extremely rude and unhelpful. There were no signs marking where the pick up was and not a single soul bothered to ask us if we were with the departing party when we were clearly standing in the lobby with all our luggage. It wasn't until a giant line formed (that we were there long before) that we tried to get in line and they told us to get to the back.

Additionally they weigh your carry on luggage which is the most ridiculous thing as typically when your suitcase is over, you take things out and put it in your carry on. I didn't have this issue but the fact alone that they asked to weigh my carry on tells me they probably encounter this ridiculous issue all the time. If you don't mind your things being stolen and nobody taking any accountability for their shady room staff, the front desk being rude or the fact that the property is dirty - definitely stay at the Santa Fe as the staff who actually greeted and ran the activities were very nice.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

This is absolutely the worse place to stay if you're ** and Gay. And the reason I say ** and gay is because there is another couple we know personally here (**) and they been treated like kings. I question myself wondering do they think we won’t tip (which we would leave a top because that’s what we do in California). But not true. They are not hungry for tips. From the beginning to the end we have been treated so bad. Monday we arrived and the front desk lady tells us that we will receive a free gift for our anniversary on Wednesday. It’s not Saturday no gift which is fine but why LIE.

Tuesday we go to the bar by the pool and sit at the bar. Say hello in English and Spanish and he looked at us and walked away. So we assumed he didn’t hear us so we went to the other side and sat down and he skipped us, and went to the straight ** couple that sat next to us and wife of the couple says, "Didn’t you come first" and flags the bartender down. He throws up his hands showing frustration and we walk away. I turn around he’s shaking his hand laughing. Wednesday we walk into the buffet and get no service but everyone around us got service. I raised my hand for service. I just wanted a drink and ketchup. He tells me (un minuto) means one minute. He never comes back to help and when he did all he said was (they are closing in few). We ask for drinks and ketchup and never received anything. We didn’t even get our plates cleaned off our table.

Thursday we got to (bamboo) waited to be seated for 15 mins. It was long for us but still waited patiently. We get seated by a waiter not the host and after eating for about ten mins the host comes (black uniform) and yells at us and demands us to move. We were puzzled so I ask him why? He snatches our plates and puts it on another table walks away saying (**) meaning (**). I’m from California. I know all the bad words. The worst day of all was when I went to the steakhouse. I literally cried. I wanted to go to my room and didn’t want to come back out. I arrived an hour before closing and wore the wrong shirt. My fault and was sent back to my room because I had to go in my room and change and iron a shirt to eat. I was served cold food, but earlier that day we sat down at the pool and was asked to move because they needed to clean so we did and they never cleaned and sat two ** people in our chair.

I walk up to the people and they apologize and give us our seat back. At dinner we sat down next to a ** couple and was asked to move and I asked why and the waiter tells me, "This seat has been assigned" so we got up and asked what table can we sit at with our plates in our hands and he just points and says, "THERE" AS HE POINTING ACROSS THE ROOM. So I say, "Well that doesn’t indicate where" and huffs and puffs and brings us to the table. So we sit down and he walks away so I see him bringing drinks to other tables so I raise my hand and he comes over and I say, "Can we get our drinks" and he points to the soda machine and says, "They are right there" and walks away. I broke down and left and went to my room. The treatment is so bad I literally been trying to find other places and towns to visit so I can at least enjoy my time here.

It’s now Saturday 8:12 pm and I’m sitting in my room because my husband asked me “Can you stay in the room. I don’t want any disrespect tonight. I’ll bring you food" as he walks out with his own bottle of soda because he knows he won’t be drinking with his meal. This is so unexcitable and all I want to do is cry thinking about how horrible we were treated. Something needs to be done because this is discrimination to the max. I’m not threatening anyone but I’m debating if I want to seek legal actions. My mental stage from this type of treatment has me not wanting to travel anywhere because I am GAY AND **.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

RIU has hit a home run with the updates and improvements on the Paradise Island property. The outstanding and customer friendly attitude of all the staff makes a huge difference! The specialty restaurants and buffets were definitely top notch! This resort has been remodeled, the decor and cleanliness is impeccable!

Original review: July 19, 2018

We got a reservation for RIU hotel in Negril from 6/13/2018 to 621/2018. But we have to cut short my vacation, because my mother got ill in Miami. We got a call 6/16/2018 from my sister that doctor say she was in bad shape. We start packing and early the next day we left. We have until Wednesday, so I have three or fourth day that I didn't issued. We send to Expedia and Riu the days she was in the Hospital and the dead Certificate so I can get a refund for the fourth day that we didn't stay in the RIU you and Expedia denied my claim We so that the RIU Hotels was a fear company. My friends recommend Riu hotels but they make a big mistake. I will never recommend your company to anyone because you the only things you did was stealing the rest of my fourth day that we still didn't stay in your Hotel.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RIU Hotels?

Original review: July 10, 2018

I recently stated at RIU Palace in Negril, Jamaica and was injured on their property... they offered nothing but a room on a lower floor and room service. I had to pay for the nurse because I refused to sign a form stating I would not settle for the $40 they offered. I just feel violated and sad... that my trip was ruined. The staff was not helpful and left me bleeding in the lobby for what seemed like a lifetime. Contacting their corporate office! Also the photos on website are not correct... the rooms are very outdated and smelled of mildew.

Original review: May 22, 2018

My sister and I stayed at the RIU Republica May 11th through 18th. Such a beautiful resort, very clean. The staff was very friendly, and helpful. The only downfall was the restaurants. The food was not good at all. The buffet was very good, and beautiful displayed. The directions to get from one area to another wasn't very good. Making lots of walking. I would recommend this resort.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I am a current RIU member and have stayed at a RIU resort on three of my many vacations. I am emailing to enlighten The Powers That Be of a recent incident in regards to employee theft at the RIU Guanacaste in Costa Rica. My partner and I were guest from May 10 – May 17, 2018 in room 4100. On Wednesday, May 16, I placed the Do Not Disturb signage on our room door before heading to the pool. Being that we were checking out the next day, I had already begun packing and accounting for our things before heading out for the day.

Around 10:30 am my partner came to the room and discovered a hospitality employee in our room but didn’t think much of it at the time and returned to the pool. At approximately 12:30 pm we returned to the room together. Me being an organized person, I instantly realized that my things in my suitcase were out of place. At that time my partner informed me that Housekeeping was in our room, however, no beds were made, nor new towels given. My partner stated that housekeeping was in the room with the door closed with a broom but no cart outside of door.

I checked my pockets in my suitcase for my cash and wedding band, unfortunately, both were gone. Knowing that my belongings were in my suitcase before going to the pool, I checked with lost and found anyway, with no success. Upon check out I again asked lost and found if someone had turned in my belongings, but no one had. After unpacking and thoroughly going through everything we are missing a pair of women’s brown sandals (gladiator style), $160 US (currency still in bank wrap), and women’s silver and diamond wedding band. I was able to make contact by phone to the RIU Guanacaste on Monday, May 21 around 10 am and was told to call back and speak to Tayan. After explaining the situation to Tayan, I have not been able to reach anyone at the resort.

I am disappointed in the lack of housekeeping following proper protocol of being in our room that was clearly tagged with the do not disturb sign. I am also frustrated with after speaking with Tayan that my calls have gone unanswered, as I accumulate international charges for staying on hold. Since, I’ve stayed at RIU’s before I didn’t immediately think of theft, especially internal. However, the actions of the housekeeping staff that was assigned to our floor and the lack of any follow up is very suspicious. I wanted to bring awareness of this matter to The Powers That Be. And upon reading other guest reviews, similar situations have occurred in the recent past. Although, we had a good time, my family and I will no longer patronize the RIU brand.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Nice resort but food is not kept at right temperature, food handled without gloves by staff, overall not very hygienic. I ate at the gourmet restaurant the 2nd evening (Culinarium). Do not go there. I was served tartare that was not kept cold. I smelled it and no odor so I ate it. BIG mistake! Following that dinner, I had severe diarrhea, vomited and I had a fever all night long.

The next morning, my daughter went to the onsite doctor. The doctor sent me right away in an ambulance to the hospital where I stayed for 2 days. My blood test showed that I had a parasite. I had to take antibiotics for 7 days. Ended up eating chicken, bananas and rice for the rest of the week, I did not trust the food there. I will not go back to the RIU Republica. I had gone to Punta Cana one month earlier and I was at Secrets Cap Cana. That was a very nice place, way better that Riu Republica! It is a big resort, very commercial, big business, like McDonald's. Very impersonal, I was not impressed.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I went for my very first trip out of the country, for my honeymoon, which was supposed to be a lovely and exciting experience. Only to end up with a parasite virus that could of been avoided if staff had washed their hands properly. I spent the night in Punta Cana hospital with what I thought was only going to be traveller's diarrhea. It was not. I was pumped full of antibiotics and IVs and was completely traumatized from the whole experience. I should not of been so fearful of my life when I signed up to visit and stay at a 5 STAR HOTEL!!!!

Upon my arrival back at the hotel, what did I notice the first thing when I got back, but a hotel employee who works in the buffets not wash her hands when exiting the washroom and paraded back into her workspace with germs filled hands!!!! She didn't even use the hand sanitizer upon walking back into the doors. I still have nightmares from my experience of guests looking at me as I was placed on a stretcher and wheeled through the lobby. With no English speaking nurses, not knowing if I was going to live or die. Being left alone for hours with improper IV placements that caused severe bruising and swelling to both of my hands one from the blood under my skin from a punctured vein and one hand from IV fluid leaking under my skin.

This was my honeymoon that my husband paid for. A $5000 vacation gone. I only got to spend 3 out of my seven days without being sick. All because of improper hand washing from staff. I will never go back, and as I write this, I'm certain this has caused long term PTSD as I cannot get that day out of my mind now. I'm still dealing with the effects of the parasite. Medications that were prescribed were in Spanish with very little understanding of how long this will affect me.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My wife and I checked into your RIU Palace in Aruba on March 6, 2018 and were suppose to check out on March 13. On Friday the 9th at around 1:00 PM I called from the room to let them know that the air condition blower was making a loud screeching and rumbling sound. We then went back to the pool for the day. We came back around 5:00 PM to shower and go to dinner, the AC was not fixed. I just assumed they were busy and didn’t get to it yet. We came back to the room about 11:30 PM and it was still not fixed. I knew at that hour nobody was going to show up if I called again, so I decided I’d call in the morning. Well during the night I got very sick. It turned out to be food poisoning, we had eaten at the buffet. I was so sick I never got back out of the room until Sunday afternoon.

Today as I’m writing this (Wednesday March 4) I’m just getting back to normal. I called again on Saturday morning to get the AC repaired. Nobody showed up again so we put up with the noise for another night and didn’t sleep again. Sunday I didn’t even bother calling. I just figure it's Sunday. No way is anybody coming. So we spent virtually 3 nights in a row with little or no sleep. Early Monday morning I went up to the front desk and asked to speak to a Manager. The woman said, "I’m a Supervisor, can I help you?" So I explained to her everything written above. There was virtually no offer to change the room, no apology, nothing at all.

At that point I made a decision we have to get out of this place. I told her we’ll be checking out today. She offered no compensation at all so I asked for it. She told me since I booked through Expedia I have to contact them, I told her the only reason I booked through Expedia is because the RIU Website directed me there. That meant nothing to her; she gave me a piece of paper with the RIU email address. I went back to the room and told my wife, "We are leaving. I’m not spending another night here listening to the AC in the room and I’m afraid to eat here," on Sunday we had already starting eating off site except for toast and coffee in the morning. While she was packing I called Expedia to see what they could do, they told me, "Stay on the line. I’ll call the Hotel." About ten minutes later he came back on the line and said to me, "They will do nothing. You have to write a letter to customer service."

I was flabbergasted this is the way this Hotel does business. So that’s what I’m doing. Writing to you to see how you are going to compensate me for suffering with the food poisoning and loss of my vacation for four days, not sleeping for three days, paying for food off site for Sunday for my wife and I, lunch and dinner on Saturday for my wife off site. I also checked out a day early, we checked out at 11:45 AM on Monday instead of Tuesday. I’m not looking to stay at any of your Hotels again.

I would like to say my wife and I have been traveling all over for 40 years and have never had an experience like this or been treated like this before. Another thing that we did not like and other couples mention it also is the loud head banging music. It is non-stop from around 10:00 AM until 11:00 PM. It consist of three screaming girls who screamed because they could not carry a note in a suitcase. It started out at the pool and then moved up outside in the restaurant areas. The three building are set up in a U so the music echoes through all the rooms on the inside. They did not play to the crowd which for the most part were adults. Very few kids. None of the restaurants serve any drinks. Just beer or wine.

As mention by others which I wish I had read before we made our arrangements is the four restaurants do not take reservations, and if you are not online by 6:00 PM and at the front of the line you get handed a beeper with no guarantee of a sitting because the restaurants only serve from 6-9 PM. Each restaurant is small and only seats at best 50-75 people depending on which one you go to. The two that we got into with another couple, the food was Uneatable the four of pushed it away. Aruba was nice but stay at the Hyatt or the Marriott or any of the other nice Hotels in the area, and eat at the restaurants on the street. There are many good ones.

Original review: March 26, 2018

No stars. This is the worst. I'm at my wit's end. This is an attempt to get help with my refund from The Riu Hotel Republica in Punta Cana. Our Vacation was canceled due to the last storm in Philadelphia and I've been trying since March 21st to get a straight answer, help or direction from Vacations by Riu or the Resort or even the reservation number. CAN YOU SAY RUNAROUND. Everyone wants the other person to handle it. Meanwhile all I get is callback, call them, wait, I can't help you, I don't know what to tell you. Seriously. I mean is this how the RIU deals with their patrons?

My first experience with the Riu was amazing. We were in Ocho Rios Jamaica. Excellent resort. No complaints. I've had to resort to posting my rant on every RIU page I see hoping for a resolve for my issue. Sad but true. RIU you just lost many potential customers. I'm telling everyone I know and even those I don't know for that matter. Stay away. They'll take your money but will not work to resolve issues, give you a straight answer or give you a refund. Shame on you.

Original review: March 23, 2018

RIU HOTELS Cabo. Stayed at above listed property from Feb 22 through Feb 27 check out. Original reservation was Feb 21 with Feb 26 checkout. American Airlines cancelled flights on Feb 21 due to weather in Dallas, TX. Made my reservations through RIUVACATIONS.COM for hotel and flight. RIU Vacations was absolutely the MOST difficult I have ever been treated in securing additional day due to cancelled flight. This is by the way the 5th RIU trip we have taken. Tried to charge me $600.00 more to extend the day we lost and threatened me with reservation change penalty.

After several and I mean several calls to 844-766-5455 finally talked with supervisor (Randy) who said he would take my issue/situation up with corporate. Promised to call back. Called back. Left voice mail saying corporate will not budge but will reduce extra day charge to $300.00. The number he called from does not accept incoming calls.(602-603-8018). How can ONE be in customer service and not have an incoming call number? After talking to Summer, Sandy and a few other reps I finally talked with Jessica **.

She called RIU PALACE CABO sales office and got our stay extended for the day we lost. She forwarded me the email request as a copy. She also stated that she would request the email department at RIU VACATIONS to expediate this email to copy the sales so it would be complete upon my arrival on Tuesday. Needless to say your email department DID not send. Fortunately, I was able to forward my copy to RIU PALACE CABO sales and Yvonne took care of it.

In my dialogue with RIU Vacations they claim not to be a part of RIU Hotels. When I complained to RIU Hotels they claim not to be associated with RIU Vacations. However, your website directs us to RIU Vacations when making a reservation with plane fare. When you call RIU VACATIONS they answer "thank you for calling RIU hotels". We are only a ONCE a year international travelers. However, be assured we will now be very hesitant to be confident in reserving with RIU in the future due to this experience. Love the RIU on site experience. Not pleased with the total lack of concern by pre-trip RIU personnel and the threatening additional charge/penalty.

Original review: March 12, 2018

My experience was horrible, my daughter's passport was robbed into the room with two purses and two sunglasses. I am call the hotel more than a thousand times and they only say that it did not appear and they gave me an email for the claim and nobody has answered any of my e-mail. My daughter is very sad because never receive any answers.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I fell in love with the property after a 5 day stay with my SO in 12/16. We loved everything about it: the service, the food, the amenities, the location. 12/17, I decided to take a "girls' trip" by myself to the same property, and I could not have been more pleased. The service was spot on, the building was just as beautiful as I remembered, the grounds were just as delightful... As a single woman traveling alone, I could not have felt more comfortable nor more secure. The food was excellent, the drinks were as flowing as I wanted them to be, the staff was more than accommodating... I can't even list any imperfections because if I had any, they were so minuscule and rectified by the staff immediately. What a wondrous and marvelous few days of my life... I can't wait to do it again.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Riu Palace Agadir - We experienced the worst honeymoon ever imaginable as our room flooded, told to go back to bed as no spare rooms! No electric, no heating and the pleasure of sleeping with a wet towel as you needed to dry yourself on the bed. No refund, they think it's acceptable to offer RIU points equivalent to an early/late check in.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Worst ever! Our Christmas vacation was a nightmare because we chose this resort. The management will lie to you, beware. The assistant manager at the Mo Bay resort is named Irma, she will lie to your face about anything and everything. We had to wait in a line of people complaining to speak to her only to get no resolution. In the end. Finally she offered to refund our remaining unused nights after we tried every other way possible to work something out. We checked out and went to a wonderful resort owned by Hilton only to get home and find out she denied ever agreeing to refund the unused nights causing us to need to go through our credit card company to get resolution. The food is terrible, the restaurants have short hours and long wait times, especially the one serving steak and lobster.

They do not allow reservations so IF you get seated before they close you will get a very low quality meal. We waited one hour to be seated after we complained, another hour to be served and then the food quality was below what you would find at a budget buffet all-you-can-eat place. They do not have any ATM or banking inside the resort, instead they send you out into the streets to wait in line while be harassed to purchase drugs by the local dealers to get cash. Construction goes on all day and planes fly overhead every few minutes. We tried to reach a higher manager but that is made impossible, Expedia tried as well- to no avail. With so many great places to stay in Jamaica don't waste your time and hard earned money at the RIU chain. We wish we would have seen this site before we booked. We are still fighting to get our refund of 4,000.00 from these crooks.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

Went to Riu Reggae for 10 day Christmas Vacation. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation this is not place for you. Airplanes fly over every 20 minutes until 9 at night. Construction noises from 9-10. Registration did not tell you about the noise. After complaining to management we got a discount but were then ignored. We are needless to say very disappointed with this chain.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

There was an issue with our reservation and the number of people to a room. The hotel stated would had to charge for additional person. But instead they charged my card for another room I didn't get. We were laughed at by front desk subordinates and ignored. During this time of waiting countless hours to get it fixed our bags were already in my presidential suite I paid $2k for bells and whistles. Unannounced to me the security went thru my things while I was downstairs and a guest who was observing what was going on told me. I was threaten as well to sign paperwork that was covered by another paper. Advised her to remove it. She stated it wasn't for me. When I refused to sign they said they would call police. I said no and ask for a manager. This guy name Ricardo at RIU Jamaica was the main scammer.

List of what I observed. Keying in my credit card information, charges for extra room I didn't get, uninviting to Americans, no number to contact if you have problem with hotel besides an email. Food American buffet style and American Chinese/Japanese style but not seasoned, airplanes fly over daily/nightly, tractors going thru beach, beach water looks murky, dinner on beach $150 came hour and 1/2 late with lobster so tough and dry, unseasoned steak. Buyer beware. LOOKS NICE BUT A RIP OFF.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

The RIU is worst hotel I ever stayed in. Please do not stay in a RIU. We had to be moved the first day there to same kind of room because air conditioning was not working then I got hit in the head with cement while they were under construction. Was forced to sign a waiver or they were calling the police. Now customer service is not doing anything about it because of the form. I did not want to go to jail in a foreign country. Please everyone be cautious and stay away from a RIU hotel.

Original review: July 31, 2017

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the RIU Hotel New York in January 2017. Upon arrival, the safe in our room did not work. I requested that it be repaired, which they were unable to do on the night of our arrival. I was told that it would need to be replaced the next day. The next morning, our daughter was alone in our room, in the shower, and had a "do not disturb" sign on the door. The maintenance man disregarded the sign and went into the room, contrary to standard hotel protocol and procedure. Needless to say, our daughter was completely traumatized by this.

I have since found several other similar complaints about the RIU Hotel New York. I typed a complaint letter in the hotel business office and hand delivered it to the hotel manager. Upon receipt of the letter, the manager tore it up stating that she never received the letter (all of which I videoed on my phone). The manager told us that the maintenance man was wrong for entering our room and that he should have not gone into our room. We immediately left the RIU and moved to another hotel. Of course, the RIU manager insisted that we pay for the 2 days we were at the RIU.

This incident ruined our short vacation to New York City. I contacted RIU's corporate headquarters in Spain, and they replied that they wanted us to be their guest at another RIU Hotel. When I inquired what they were proposing, they promptly responded that they were not offering or paying anything. They just wanted us to stay at another RIU property, and pay them more money. We will NEVER stay at a resort that treats guests the way RIU does. We have stayed at several of the RIU resorts in Mexico in the past, and the quality of their hospitality and amenities have deteriorated, as well, over the years.

Original review: July 13, 2017

RIU Montego Bay, Jamaica - (1) Extreme amount of walking just to get from one place to another, EXHAUSTING. (2) The pool area is just below a fly zone, so don't expect to have some relaxing time. It's loud and annoying, every 20 min. (3) The POOL AREA WAS DIRTY most of the time, not inviting at all! (Entire pool needs a good scrubbing) (4) The Mahoe Bay outdoor restaurant is not kept clean (floor/areas dirty). Flies over food. (5) The public bathrooms are smelly and not maintained cleaned. (6) The resort only offers ONE excursion. (7) The mattresses are DISGUSTING! (8) Finally, the "RESORT" credit that is said to be given to you is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO ASK ABOUT THE CREDIT, because when you arrive it’s a whole different story. The resort allows you to only use a portion of the CREDIT, and it can only be used 1 person per day. So if you’re in a group, cannot use for everyone on same day. PLUS they only offer/have one excursion on resort, and one massage place. So, that's a total of TWO amenities towards your resort credit, that only one person can use per day. REMEMBER, YOU STILL HAVE TO PAY. They just apply the discount towards your resort credit. Please do your homework before booking this place!

Original review: July 5, 2017

This was my 4th time that my husband and I have stayed at this hotel (The Club Riu - Negril Jamaica). Year after year we noticed changes however not enough to warrant never staying there again. This time however I can honestly say we will not be returning. My phone was stolen and when I immediately inquired about it the staff at the front desk could've cared less. I was not the only one who had their phone stolen that same day. Another gentlemen was at the desk asking about his as well. The new managers to the hotel (last year it was someone from Cuba, noticed a huge change in the staff and the food, and not for the better and the previous 2 years 1st 2 times we had been there it was someone else, in which I will add is the reason why we kept going back because the food was fantastic and the staff was completely different than it is now!).

I finally did have a young lady who cared enough to talk to a general manager for me and they ended up calling me and my husband into a small room to look at some video footage. Mind you the angles on the cameras that they actually do have on the resort are horrible and do not zoom in. The General managers are Spanish speaking and I speak English as does my husband. The nice woman from the front desk could only be with us for the beginning part so a bit of a language barrier. The one GM thought that he saw something so he proceeded with calling the working he thought had taken my phone into the SAME room that we were standing in to question him! While we were in there! The guy immediately became very aggressive with his responses and denying the whole thing (I was maybe 5 feet away from this guy because that's the farthest I could get away from him in the room we were in).

After 20 minutes of this awful encounter the GM finally let the employee walk out. He said he doesn't admit it happened but between you and I "I don't trust that guy at all..." so even the GM thought the guy did it! I have disputed this with the RIU and asked for them to in the least bit pay off the phone that someone from their resort stole however all they keep saying to me is it's your responsibility blah blah blah. Well obviously I know that it's my phone however it was not intentional and it shouldn't have been an issue if you had honest people working for you. I posted a comment on TripAdvisor and have now received a threat to "stay in my country and am I an idiot..."

Just because this happened to me and I am making my story heard doesn't mean I am an idiot. I am just trying to warn others about my RIU experience. I am just very disappointed after having stayed at this resort for 4 consecutive years that I absolutely just disappointment with RIU. Not to mention this happened on day 3 of our trip, we had 4 more days there at this resort left and had to deal with the man who was accused of stealing my phone for the rest of the time. Talk about uncomfortable, awkward and not at all a good time.

Original review: July 1, 2017

My partner and I went to Aruba Thanksgiving November 2016. From the time that we pulled up to the lobby it was great! The service was good, the hotel was nice, clean and everyone was helpful. The room was ok, expected it to be a hair more modern. We had one issue in the bathroom and someone came right up, less than 10 minutes and fixed it. The food was good and the bar never skimped. It was so nice I would return to a Riu again. It was a real vacation and romantic too.

Original review: June 20, 2017

We are staying at Riu Palace Macao in the Dominican Republic. The room is smelly, moldy, and filthy with cockroaches. There is a construction going on right below our windows. They start at 6:45 am and go till 11:45 pm. The front desk refused to move us anywhere saying they have nothing available. The reception manager (Ramon) is very rude. Today is the second day of our vacation that we have been trying to resolve the issues instead of enjoying the beach! Money not worth spending at all!

Original review: June 8, 2017

I recently planned a vacation to Cancun, Mexico with a very good friend of mine with the intent of having an amazing, fun Memorial weekend. I booked a hotel at the RIU PALACE PENINSULA and let me just start by saying, I am extremely disappointed and will not recommend nor will I stay in any RIU ever in my life. I travel a lot whether it’s for vacation with my son, work or model booking and have never been treated so disgustingly in my life.

I’m not sure whether to start with the disgusting attitudes with the staff, the fact that they make up rules as they go. No policies being displayed or the fact that after spending hundreds and over a $1000 American dollars to live there for 6 days, I was unable to have a guest in my room to even use the bathroom. Don’t get me wrong, out of the 6-9 front desk check in customer service people 2 of them were helpful, understanding and extremely nice (Alfredo and unfortunately I cannot remember the other young lady's name). They give you wristband and don’t tell you what it’s for then try to charge you $100 for another plastic/paper wristband that I’m sure only cost $.05 to make. They are crooks.

To top it off, as I’m trying to speak with one the managers, she had the nerve to tell me “Well you’re in my country.” Excuse my language but what the hell is me being in your country have to do with your disgusting customer service and how you're allowing your employees to speak to me. Maybe if I was the person who had an issue with them I would be more calm but as I’m there 2 other couples are going back and forth with these people because they are downright unprofessional. When I walked in? Security follows you so uncomfortable close that you can feel them breathing on your neck as if you're stealing or something. ITS CRAZY.

I refused to stay there and found myself leaving that hotel and booking somewhere else but then there is the issue of the manager of the RIU not being able to provide my refund for a room I DID NOT even stay in because of their no refund policy. Travelocity, I can honestly say has been very helpful with this whole situation but as I said before I will never recommend or stay with these people ever again and I don’t care where they are located. Why should I stay in a “5-star” hotel that talks down on you, makes you feel extremely uncomfortable and will try and get me for my money.

OH WAIT! I DID NOT EVEN GET TO THE GOOD PART. The manager decided to leave because she decided she no longer wanted to handle the situation so shortly after the overnight employee decided that he wanted to call the cops because he just wanted me to stop complaining and didn’t want the back in forth in front at the customer service desk. So because they did wrong and I'm telling them to refund my money and asking them for the policy that shows the nonsense they are coming up with you call the police? In which, the officer did nothing because I was doing nothing wrong but pulling their cards. I want the CEO, CFO AND ANYONE else who owns this hotel to see this and understand the kind of people that gets hired in their establishment. I am extremely unhappy. Thank you.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I recently stay at the Riu Ocho Rios and it was extremely horrible! After attending a funeral and checking into the hotel, on Sunday May 28, at 5 pm, first room 1347 was smell with **. Obviously, the housekeeping replacing with a sending me to room 1418. The air conditioner was not working and the room was hotel!! I contact the managers and they David and Inez and they told me. At 11:45 pm the front desk had another room 1421 to move me and my 2 boys but the room was extremely hot, the toilet was working and also another customer came in on us. It was just unbelievable, ashamed!! No one ever came to apologize. I was planning in July 29-August 2017 to take my group but after this event, I think I will withdraw my group. I feel I deserve to be refunded. The management need to be trained and learn more customer service!

Original review: May 29, 2017

I am currently staying at this hotel. This is horrible! I was told that I was being "upgraded" free of charge but I was put in a room that overlooked the rotting side of the building. The staff is terribly rude. I woke this morning with no lights in our room and no phone number on the phone to contact anyone. The whole hotel smells like must and dirty basement. The food is terrible. I tried to complain but the staffer seems do not care at all! Oh, when we were checking in the receptionist tried to charge use 10k for our room. So yeah! This place is ridiculous. This is the worst hotel.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I recently stayed at the Club Riu Ohco Rios and it was NOT a very pleasant stay. I now have bedbug bites all over my legs and had to scour my house, and contend with these itchy bites and blotches! In addition they do NOT have a good dehumidifier in the entire place and my clothes stayed moist, and I had to air them out BEFORE I could wash them. My brand new clothing with tags STILL attached smelled awful. It was such an inconvenience??? The beds and floor in our room were moist. Therefore we had to continue to towel wipe the floors to keep from slipping, sliding, and falling. I'm SO happy that I packed my powder because I had to use it to keep our bed dry! As if the above was NOT enough, we had dinner at the steak house twice. Both times we were the first to get in, but the last to be served!

When I complained to the head of the restaurants he was very indifferent, with NO apology. I explained to him that my husband was diabetic and had special needs. He could have cared less. There were many people there that were served and left, but it seemed that they had problems dealing with large parties. Both days we had a party of fifteen. They asked us how we wanted our steak, yet they sent ALL of our steak medium and this was after a two hour wait! I'll repeat we were the first in line both days but were served last and our food was NOT cooked to our specifications! ALL of this AND THEY didn't care that my husband was a diabetic.

These are my major complaints. Although I could go on regarding the lack of staff to engage during activities, and the staff member who tried to PUSH me to the ground during a dance competition so that I could twerk and get down... Her words... Which I was NOT going to do... AND I told her that because I'm NOT that kind of person! She approached me later in the evening and asked me why as if I had to explain myself to her and I politely told her that I take pride in myself AND my husband was there and it would be disrespectful to him to act this way. She was shocked and told me that she hopes to find a husband like that. What a shame that there are people at this resort who should be able to interact appropriately with guests, who THINK that ALL women conduct themselves **!

Original review: April 8, 2017

Upon a pretty picture painted by Funjet Vacations and P&H Travel of West Bridgewater MA we arrived at the hotel only to be told they were full and they insisted that we go to another hotel to which I reluctantly agreed to after a battle with the hotel staff. I insisted that if I wasn't happy when I got there that they needed to provide transportation to bring me back to the RUI Palace.

Needless to say I came back. The mattresses in the room that they gave us had mildew on them & refrigerator was leaking. There was a puddle on the floor. We insisted that they give us another room and we had to fight for that. They finally agreed. Nobody helped us move our luggage from one end of the hotel to the other and then we got a phone call because we left the key in the original room for the maids and they wanted to know why we didn't return that key to the front desk. They actually yelled at us.

There were flies all over the food to the point where you couldn't even eat. If you left your drink at the table to try to find something sealed that you could eat, you came back to flies in your drink! It was that bad! The pool had stuff floating in it. I still don't know what that was! I filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission against Funjet Vacations and P&H Travel as they did not disclose any information about the flies or mildew. Has anyone else complained about the flies on all of the food? Disgusting! I complained to Funjet Vacations and they said "you did get some value of the trip as you were able to use the beaches & the pool and the gym." My response to that was "it's hard to enjoy or get value out of anything when you're always hungry!" This was an all inclusive vacation package! Never ever again!

RIU Hotels Company Information