2. Travel
  3. Hotel Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.44/5

RIU Hotels Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2018

I recently stated at RIU Palace in Negril, Jamaica and was injured on their property... they offered nothing but a room on a lower floor and room service. I had to pay for the nurse because I refused to sign a form stating I would not settle for the $40 they offered. I just feel violated and sad... that my trip was ruined. The staff was not helpful and left me bleeding in the lobby for what seemed like a lifetime. Contacting their corporate office! Also the photos on website are not correct... the rooms are very outdated and smelled of mildew.

Original review: May 22, 2018

My sister and I stayed at the RIU Republica May 11th through 18th. Such a beautiful resort, very clean. The staff was very friendly, and helpful. The only downfall was the restaurants. The food was not good at all. The buffet was very good, and beautiful displayed. The directions to get from one area to another wasn't very good. Making lots of walking. I would recommend this resort.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I am a current RIU member and have stayed at a RIU resort on three of my many vacations. I am emailing to enlighten The Powers That Be of a recent incident in regards to employee theft at the RIU Guanacaste in Costa Rica. My partner and I were guest from May 10 – May 17, 2018 in room 4100. On Wednesday, May 16, I placed the Do Not Disturb signage on our room door before heading to the pool. Being that we were checking out the next day, I had already begun packing and accounting for our things before heading out for the day.

Around 10:30 am my partner came to the room and discovered a hospitality employee in our room but didn’t think much of it at the time and returned to the pool. At approximately 12:30 pm we returned to the room together. Me being an organized person, I instantly realized that my things in my suitcase were out of place. At that time my partner informed me that Housekeeping was in our room, however, no beds were made, nor new towels given. My partner stated that housekeeping was in the room with the door closed with a broom but no cart outside of door.

I checked my pockets in my suitcase for my cash and wedding band, unfortunately, both were gone. Knowing that my belongings were in my suitcase before going to the pool, I checked with lost and found anyway, with no success. Upon check out I again asked lost and found if someone had turned in my belongings, but no one had. After unpacking and thoroughly going through everything we are missing a pair of women’s brown sandals (gladiator style), $160 US (currency still in bank wrap), and women’s silver and diamond wedding band. I was able to make contact by phone to the RIU Guanacaste on Monday, May 21 around 10 am and was told to call back and speak to Tayan. After explaining the situation to Tayan, I have not been able to reach anyone at the resort.

I am disappointed in the lack of housekeeping following proper protocol of being in our room that was clearly tagged with the do not disturb sign. I am also frustrated with after speaking with Tayan that my calls have gone unanswered, as I accumulate international charges for staying on hold. Since, I’ve stayed at RIU’s before I didn’t immediately think of theft, especially internal. However, the actions of the housekeeping staff that was assigned to our floor and the lack of any follow up is very suspicious. I wanted to bring awareness of this matter to The Powers That Be. And upon reading other guest reviews, similar situations have occurred in the recent past. Although, we had a good time, my family and I will no longer patronize the RIU brand.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Nice resort but food is not kept at right temperature, food handled without gloves by staff, overall not very hygienic. I ate at the gourmet restaurant the 2nd evening (Culinarium). Do not go there. I was served tartare that was not kept cold. I smelled it and no odor so I ate it. BIG mistake! Following that dinner, I had severe diarrhea, vomited and I had a fever all night long.

The next morning, my daughter went to the onsite doctor. The doctor sent me right away in an ambulance to the hospital where I stayed for 2 days. My blood test showed that I had a parasite. I had to take antibiotics for 7 days. Ended up eating chicken, bananas and rice for the rest of the week, I did not trust the food there. I will not go back to the RIU Republica. I had gone to Punta Cana one month earlier and I was at Secrets Cap Cana. That was a very nice place, way better that Riu Republica! It is a big resort, very commercial, big business, like McDonald's. Very impersonal, I was not impressed.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I went for my very first trip out of the country, for my honeymoon, which was supposed to be a lovely and exciting experience. Only to end up with a parasite virus that could of been avoided if staff had washed their hands properly. I spent the night in Punta Cana hospital with what I thought was only going to be traveller's diarrhea. It was not. I was pumped full of antibiotics and IVs and was completely traumatized from the whole experience. I should not of been so fearful of my life when I signed up to visit and stay at a 5 STAR HOTEL!!!!

Upon my arrival back at the hotel, what did I notice the first thing when I got back, but a hotel employee who works in the buffets not wash her hands when exiting the washroom and paraded back into her workspace with germs filled hands!!!! She didn't even use the hand sanitizer upon walking back into the doors. I still have nightmares from my experience of guests looking at me as I was placed on a stretcher and wheeled through the lobby. With no English speaking nurses, not knowing if I was going to live or die. Being left alone for hours with improper IV placements that caused severe bruising and swelling to both of my hands one from the blood under my skin from a punctured vein and one hand from IV fluid leaking under my skin.

This was my honeymoon that my husband paid for. A $5000 vacation gone. I only got to spend 3 out of my seven days without being sick. All because of improper hand washing from staff. I will never go back, and as I write this, I'm certain this has caused long term PTSD as I cannot get that day out of my mind now. I'm still dealing with the effects of the parasite. Medications that were prescribed were in Spanish with very little understanding of how long this will affect me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RIU Hotels?

Original review: April 10, 2018

My wife and I checked into your RIU Palace in Aruba on March 6, 2018 and were suppose to check out on March 13. On Friday the 9th at around 1:00 PM I called from the room to let them know that the air condition blower was making a loud screeching and rumbling sound. We then went back to the pool for the day. We came back around 5:00 PM to shower and go to dinner, the AC was not fixed. I just assumed they were busy and didn’t get to it yet. We came back to the room about 11:30 PM and it was still not fixed. I knew at that hour nobody was going to show up if I called again, so I decided I’d call in the morning. Well during the night I got very sick. It turned out to be food poisoning, we had eaten at the buffet. I was so sick I never got back out of the room until Sunday afternoon.

Today as I’m writing this (Wednesday March 4) I’m just getting back to normal. I called again on Saturday morning to get the AC repaired. Nobody showed up again so we put up with the noise for another night and didn’t sleep again. Sunday I didn’t even bother calling. I just figure it's Sunday. No way is anybody coming. So we spent virtually 3 nights in a row with little or no sleep. Early Monday morning I went up to the front desk and asked to speak to a Manager. The woman said, "I’m a Supervisor, can I help you?" So I explained to her everything written above. There was virtually no offer to change the room, no apology, nothing at all.

At that point I made a decision we have to get out of this place. I told her we’ll be checking out today. She offered no compensation at all so I asked for it. She told me since I booked through Expedia I have to contact them, I told her the only reason I booked through Expedia is because the RIU Website directed me there. That meant nothing to her; she gave me a piece of paper with the RIU email address. I went back to the room and told my wife, "We are leaving. I’m not spending another night here listening to the AC in the room and I’m afraid to eat here," on Sunday we had already starting eating off site except for toast and coffee in the morning. While she was packing I called Expedia to see what they could do, they told me, "Stay on the line. I’ll call the Hotel." About ten minutes later he came back on the line and said to me, "They will do nothing. You have to write a letter to customer service."

I was flabbergasted this is the way this Hotel does business. So that’s what I’m doing. Writing to you to see how you are going to compensate me for suffering with the food poisoning and loss of my vacation for four days, not sleeping for three days, paying for food off site for Sunday for my wife and I, lunch and dinner on Saturday for my wife off site. I also checked out a day early, we checked out at 11:45 AM on Monday instead of Tuesday. I’m not looking to stay at any of your Hotels again.

I would like to say my wife and I have been traveling all over for 40 years and have never had an experience like this or been treated like this before. Another thing that we did not like and other couples mention it also is the loud head banging music. It is non-stop from around 10:00 AM until 11:00 PM. It consist of three screaming girls who screamed because they could not carry a note in a suitcase. It started out at the pool and then moved up outside in the restaurant areas. The three building are set up in a U so the music echoes through all the rooms on the inside. They did not play to the crowd which for the most part were adults. Very few kids. None of the restaurants serve any drinks. Just beer or wine.

As mention by others which I wish I had read before we made our arrangements is the four restaurants do not take reservations, and if you are not online by 6:00 PM and at the front of the line you get handed a beeper with no guarantee of a sitting because the restaurants only serve from 6-9 PM. Each restaurant is small and only seats at best 50-75 people depending on which one you go to. The two that we got into with another couple, the food was Uneatable the four of pushed it away. Aruba was nice but stay at the Hyatt or the Marriott or any of the other nice Hotels in the area, and eat at the restaurants on the street. There are many good ones.

Original review: March 26, 2018

No stars. This is the worst. I'm at my wit's end. This is an attempt to get help with my refund from The Riu Hotel Republica in Punta Cana. Our Vacation was canceled due to the last storm in Philadelphia and I've been trying since March 21st to get a straight answer, help or direction from Vacations by Riu or the Resort or even the reservation number. CAN YOU SAY RUNAROUND. Everyone wants the other person to handle it. Meanwhile all I get is callback, call them, wait, I can't help you, I don't know what to tell you. Seriously. I mean is this how the RIU deals with their patrons?

My first experience with the Riu was amazing. We were in Ocho Rios Jamaica. Excellent resort. No complaints. I've had to resort to posting my rant on every RIU page I see hoping for a resolve for my issue. Sad but true. RIU you just lost many potential customers. I'm telling everyone I know and even those I don't know for that matter. Stay away. They'll take your money but will not work to resolve issues, give you a straight answer or give you a refund. Shame on you.

Original review: March 23, 2018

RIU HOTELS Cabo. Stayed at above listed property from Feb 22 through Feb 27 check out. Original reservation was Feb 21 with Feb 26 checkout. American Airlines cancelled flights on Feb 21 due to weather in Dallas, TX. Made my reservations through RIUVACATIONS.COM for hotel and flight. RIU Vacations was absolutely the MOST difficult I have ever been treated in securing additional day due to cancelled flight. This is by the way the 5th RIU trip we have taken. Tried to charge me $600.00 more to extend the day we lost and threatened me with reservation change penalty.

After several and I mean several calls to 844-766-5455 finally talked with supervisor (Randy) who said he would take my issue/situation up with corporate. Promised to call back. Called back. Left voice mail saying corporate will not budge but will reduce extra day charge to $300.00. The number he called from does not accept incoming calls.(602-603-8018). How can ONE be in customer service and not have an incoming call number? After talking to Summer, Sandy and a few other reps I finally talked with Jessica **.

She called RIU PALACE CABO sales office and got our stay extended for the day we lost. She forwarded me the email request as a copy. She also stated that she would request the email department at RIU VACATIONS to expediate this email to copy the sales so it would be complete upon my arrival on Tuesday. Needless to say your email department DID not send. Fortunately, I was able to forward my copy to RIU PALACE CABO sales and Yvonne took care of it.

In my dialogue with RIU Vacations they claim not to be a part of RIU Hotels. When I complained to RIU Hotels they claim not to be associated with RIU Vacations. However, your website directs us to RIU Vacations when making a reservation with plane fare. When you call RIU VACATIONS they answer "thank you for calling RIU hotels". We are only a ONCE a year international travelers. However, be assured we will now be very hesitant to be confident in reserving with RIU in the future due to this experience. Love the RIU on site experience. Not pleased with the total lack of concern by pre-trip RIU personnel and the threatening additional charge/penalty.

Original review: March 12, 2018

My experience was horrible, my daughter's passport was robbed into the room with two purses and two sunglasses. I am call the hotel more than a thousand times and they only say that it did not appear and they gave me an email for the claim and nobody has answered any of my e-mail. My daughter is very sad because never receive any answers.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I fell in love with the property after a 5 day stay with my SO in 12/16. We loved everything about it: the service, the food, the amenities, the location. 12/17, I decided to take a "girls' trip" by myself to the same property, and I could not have been more pleased. The service was spot on, the building was just as beautiful as I remembered, the grounds were just as delightful... As a single woman traveling alone, I could not have felt more comfortable nor more secure. The food was excellent, the drinks were as flowing as I wanted them to be, the staff was more than accommodating... I can't even list any imperfections because if I had any, they were so minuscule and rectified by the staff immediately. What a wondrous and marvelous few days of my life... I can't wait to do it again.

RIU Hotels Company Information