2. Travel
  3. Hotel Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.42/5

RIU Hotels Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RIU Hotels?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RIU Hotels?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I stayed at the RIU Santa Fe in Los Cabos from Sept 24-Oct 1. There were plenty of issues with the room from as soon as I arrived, however I was willing to overlook them as I was on a family vacation and all of the staff were (or seemed) really nice. I put my bag in the safe, had it locked the whole time other than on 2 occasions but the DND on the door the whole time I was there other than on 1 occasion. I only requested someone to enter my room on two occasions. I got full service once, and on another day I requested towels, and I was in the room when she brought them. She however didn't have anymore facecloths and we went to the pool, when we came back there were facecloths.

On a third day I requested water that never came and I had to go and retrieve it myself meaning nobody should have been in my room. On one other occasion I had noticed someone was in my room as someone had refilled my minibar though I didn't request it. I didn't think much of the occasions when my room was entered when it wasn't requested as we were drinking all the water in there while we were there and thought it was helpful to have it refilled and obviously the towels were used. On the day I went to check out, at 9 am I was repacking all my things and was counting my money to see what was left. I had $160 USD missing. One $100 USD bill and 3 $20 USD bills. The KIND soul who stole from me had enough restraint to leave me $50 in $5 dollar usd bills in my envelope.

I ripped apart my entire suitcase and wallet looking for the money. I have enough sense to know that I didn't put it elsewhere but I was willing to give it a shot. At 9:30 am I went to front desk to report my issue, I asked for a manager and was not directed to one. I was told to fill out a report, and that within 24 hours I would get an update from them on their investigation and I would get a note slipped under my door. I told them I was checking out that day and they said that their director would email me then with their resolution. I was given a sheet of paper with the "directors" email.

The following day, 24 hours went by and I still hadnt heard. I left it alone, gave them more time. Finally by the 3rd day, I emailed THEM asking for an update even though they should have reached out to me, no response. Emailed them again on the 5th day, no response. It is now October 8th, and I checked out on the 1st and I have still yet to receive an update on my case nor have I even received any sort of acknowledgment to my emails or my case.

DO not stay at the Santa Fe. -The housekeepers do not thoroughly clean, and the hotel has the worst communication skills on the planet. They wait till you check out to spring fees and charges on you that were never mentioned AND then have the nerve to be rude when you inquire why there is any charge at all for something that was their error. (It's an all inclusive resort, what if you didn't have money or spent it all as they never told you about them??)

-Something was leaving bites all over my legs the first 3 days I was there until I requested full service and had the sheets changed. (I do not know what was eating me but they were NOT mosquito bites.) -The hotel mirrors have these horrible giant black circles all over them. -The tub in our joined room needed work. -There were cockroaches in the hallway. -Tiny little red ants crawling on the tables at dinner at the buffet. -Server at the main bar in the lobby at night is extremely rude IF you don't tip. -Food was mediocre at best.

Then when we were finally checking out, the Sunwing staff was extremely rude and unhelpful. There were no signs marking where the pick up was and not a single soul bothered to ask us if we were with the departing party when we were clearly standing in the lobby with all our luggage. It wasn't until a giant line formed (that we were there long before) that we tried to get in line and they told us to get to the back.

Additionally they weigh your carry on luggage which is the most ridiculous thing as typically when your suitcase is over, you take things out and put it in your carry on. I didn't have this issue but the fact alone that they asked to weigh my carry on tells me they probably encounter this ridiculous issue all the time. If you don't mind your things being stolen and nobody taking any accountability for their shady room staff, the front desk being rude or the fact that the property is dirty - definitely stay at the Santa Fe as the staff who actually greeted and ran the activities were very nice.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

This is absolutely the worse place to stay if you're ** and Gay. And the reason I say ** and gay is because there is another couple we know personally here (**) and they been treated like kings. I question myself wondering do they think we won’t tip (which we would leave a top because that’s what we do in California). But not true. They are not hungry for tips. From the beginning to the end we have been treated so bad. Monday we arrived and the front desk lady tells us that we will receive a free gift for our anniversary on Wednesday. It’s not Saturday no gift which is fine but why LIE.

Tuesday we go to the bar by the pool and sit at the bar. Say hello in English and Spanish and he looked at us and walked away. So we assumed he didn’t hear us so we went to the other side and sat down and he skipped us, and went to the straight ** couple that sat next to us and wife of the couple says, "Didn’t you come first" and flags the bartender down. He throws up his hands showing frustration and we walk away. I turn around he’s shaking his hand laughing. Wednesday we walk into the buffet and get no service but everyone around us got service. I raised my hand for service. I just wanted a drink and ketchup. He tells me (un minuto) means one minute. He never comes back to help and when he did all he said was (they are closing in few). We ask for drinks and ketchup and never received anything. We didn’t even get our plates cleaned off our table.

Thursday we got to (bamboo) waited to be seated for 15 mins. It was long for us but still waited patiently. We get seated by a waiter not the host and after eating for about ten mins the host comes (black uniform) and yells at us and demands us to move. We were puzzled so I ask him why? He snatches our plates and puts it on another table walks away saying (**) meaning (**). I’m from California. I know all the bad words. The worst day of all was when I went to the steakhouse. I literally cried. I wanted to go to my room and didn’t want to come back out. I arrived an hour before closing and wore the wrong shirt. My fault and was sent back to my room because I had to go in my room and change and iron a shirt to eat. I was served cold food, but earlier that day we sat down at the pool and was asked to move because they needed to clean so we did and they never cleaned and sat two ** people in our chair.

I walk up to the people and they apologize and give us our seat back. At dinner we sat down next to a ** couple and was asked to move and I asked why and the waiter tells me, "This seat has been assigned" so we got up and asked what table can we sit at with our plates in our hands and he just points and says, "THERE" AS HE POINTING ACROSS THE ROOM. So I say, "Well that doesn’t indicate where" and huffs and puffs and brings us to the table. So we sit down and he walks away so I see him bringing drinks to other tables so I raise my hand and he comes over and I say, "Can we get our drinks" and he points to the soda machine and says, "They are right there" and walks away. I broke down and left and went to my room. The treatment is so bad I literally been trying to find other places and towns to visit so I can at least enjoy my time here.

It’s now Saturday 8:12 pm and I’m sitting in my room because my husband asked me “Can you stay in the room. I don’t want any disrespect tonight. I’ll bring you food" as he walks out with his own bottle of soda because he knows he won’t be drinking with his meal. This is so unexcitable and all I want to do is cry thinking about how horrible we were treated. Something needs to be done because this is discrimination to the max. I’m not threatening anyone but I’m debating if I want to seek legal actions. My mental stage from this type of treatment has me not wanting to travel anywhere because I am GAY AND **.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

RIU has hit a home run with the updates and improvements on the Paradise Island property. The outstanding and customer friendly attitude of all the staff makes a huge difference! The specialty restaurants and buffets were definitely top notch! This resort has been remodeled, the decor and cleanliness is impeccable!

Original review: July 19, 2018

We got a reservation for RIU hotel in Negril from 6/13/2018 to 621/2018. But we have to cut short my vacation, because my mother got ill in Miami. We got a call 6/16/2018 from my sister that doctor say she was in bad shape. We start packing and early the next day we left. We have until Wednesday, so I have three or fourth day that I didn't issued. We send to Expedia and Riu the days she was in the Hospital and the dead Certificate so I can get a refund for the fourth day that we didn't stay in the RIU you and Expedia denied my claim We so that the RIU Hotels was a fear company. My friends recommend Riu hotels but they make a big mistake. I will never recommend your company to anyone because you the only things you did was stealing the rest of my fourth day that we still didn't stay in your Hotel.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I recently stated at RIU Palace in Negril, Jamaica and was injured on their property... they offered nothing but a room on a lower floor and room service. I had to pay for the nurse because I refused to sign a form stating I would not settle for the $40 they offered. I just feel violated and sad... that my trip was ruined. The staff was not helpful and left me bleeding in the lobby for what seemed like a lifetime. Contacting their corporate office! Also the photos on website are not correct... the rooms are very outdated and smelled of mildew.

Original review: May 22, 2018

My sister and I stayed at the RIU Republica May 11th through 18th. Such a beautiful resort, very clean. The staff was very friendly, and helpful. The only downfall was the restaurants. The food was not good at all. The buffet was very good, and beautiful displayed. The directions to get from one area to another wasn't very good. Making lots of walking. I would recommend this resort.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I am a current RIU member and have stayed at a RIU resort on three of my many vacations. I am emailing to enlighten The Powers That Be of a recent incident in regards to employee theft at the RIU Guanacaste in Costa Rica. My partner and I were guest from May 10 – May 17, 2018 in room 4100. On Wednesday, May 16, I placed the Do Not Disturb signage on our room door before heading to the pool. Being that we were checking out the next day, I had already begun packing and accounting for our things before heading out for the day.

Around 10:30 am my partner came to the room and discovered a hospitality employee in our room but didn’t think much of it at the time and returned to the pool. At approximately 12:30 pm we returned to the room together. Me being an organized person, I instantly realized that my things in my suitcase were out of place. At that time my partner informed me that Housekeeping was in our room, however, no beds were made, nor new towels given. My partner stated that housekeeping was in the room with the door closed with a broom but no cart outside of door.

I checked my pockets in my suitcase for my cash and wedding band, unfortunately, both were gone. Knowing that my belongings were in my suitcase before going to the pool, I checked with lost and found anyway, with no success. Upon check out I again asked lost and found if someone had turned in my belongings, but no one had. After unpacking and thoroughly going through everything we are missing a pair of women’s brown sandals (gladiator style), $160 US (currency still in bank wrap), and women’s silver and diamond wedding band. I was able to make contact by phone to the RIU Guanacaste on Monday, May 21 around 10 am and was told to call back and speak to Tayan. After explaining the situation to Tayan, I have not been able to reach anyone at the resort.

I am disappointed in the lack of housekeeping following proper protocol of being in our room that was clearly tagged with the do not disturb sign. I am also frustrated with after speaking with Tayan that my calls have gone unanswered, as I accumulate international charges for staying on hold. Since, I’ve stayed at RIU’s before I didn’t immediately think of theft, especially internal. However, the actions of the housekeeping staff that was assigned to our floor and the lack of any follow up is very suspicious. I wanted to bring awareness of this matter to The Powers That Be. And upon reading other guest reviews, similar situations have occurred in the recent past. Although, we had a good time, my family and I will no longer patronize the RIU brand.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Nice resort but food is not kept at right temperature, food handled without gloves by staff, overall not very hygienic. I ate at the gourmet restaurant the 2nd evening (Culinarium). Do not go there. I was served tartare that was not kept cold. I smelled it and no odor so I ate it. BIG mistake! Following that dinner, I had severe diarrhea, vomited and I had a fever all night long.

The next morning, my daughter went to the onsite doctor. The doctor sent me right away in an ambulance to the hospital where I stayed for 2 days. My blood test showed that I had a parasite. I had to take antibiotics for 7 days. Ended up eating chicken, bananas and rice for the rest of the week, I did not trust the food there. I will not go back to the RIU Republica. I had gone to Punta Cana one month earlier and I was at Secrets Cap Cana. That was a very nice place, way better that Riu Republica! It is a big resort, very commercial, big business, like McDonald's. Very impersonal, I was not impressed.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I went for my very first trip out of the country, for my honeymoon, which was supposed to be a lovely and exciting experience. Only to end up with a parasite virus that could of been avoided if staff had washed their hands properly. I spent the night in Punta Cana hospital with what I thought was only going to be traveller's diarrhea. It was not. I was pumped full of antibiotics and IVs and was completely traumatized from the whole experience. I should not of been so fearful of my life when I signed up to visit and stay at a 5 STAR HOTEL!!!!

Upon my arrival back at the hotel, what did I notice the first thing when I got back, but a hotel employee who works in the buffets not wash her hands when exiting the washroom and paraded back into her workspace with germs filled hands!!!! She didn't even use the hand sanitizer upon walking back into the doors. I still have nightmares from my experience of guests looking at me as I was placed on a stretcher and wheeled through the lobby. With no English speaking nurses, not knowing if I was going to live or die. Being left alone for hours with improper IV placements that caused severe bruising and swelling to both of my hands one from the blood under my skin from a punctured vein and one hand from IV fluid leaking under my skin.

This was my honeymoon that my husband paid for. A $5000 vacation gone. I only got to spend 3 out of my seven days without being sick. All because of improper hand washing from staff. I will never go back, and as I write this, I'm certain this has caused long term PTSD as I cannot get that day out of my mind now. I'm still dealing with the effects of the parasite. Medications that were prescribed were in Spanish with very little understanding of how long this will affect me.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My wife and I checked into your RIU Palace in Aruba on March 6, 2018 and were suppose to check out on March 13. On Friday the 9th at around 1:00 PM I called from the room to let them know that the air condition blower was making a loud screeching and rumbling sound. We then went back to the pool for the day. We came back around 5:00 PM to shower and go to dinner, the AC was not fixed. I just assumed they were busy and didn’t get to it yet. We came back to the room about 11:30 PM and it was still not fixed. I knew at that hour nobody was going to show up if I called again, so I decided I’d call in the morning. Well during the night I got very sick. It turned out to be food poisoning, we had eaten at the buffet. I was so sick I never got back out of the room until Sunday afternoon.

Today as I’m writing this (Wednesday March 4) I’m just getting back to normal. I called again on Saturday morning to get the AC repaired. Nobody showed up again so we put up with the noise for another night and didn’t sleep again. Sunday I didn’t even bother calling. I just figure it's Sunday. No way is anybody coming. So we spent virtually 3 nights in a row with little or no sleep. Early Monday morning I went up to the front desk and asked to speak to a Manager. The woman said, "I’m a Supervisor, can I help you?" So I explained to her everything written above. There was virtually no offer to change the room, no apology, nothing at all.

At that point I made a decision we have to get out of this place. I told her we’ll be checking out today. She offered no compensation at all so I asked for it. She told me since I booked through Expedia I have to contact them, I told her the only reason I booked through Expedia is because the RIU Website directed me there. That meant nothing to her; she gave me a piece of paper with the RIU email address. I went back to the room and told my wife, "We are leaving. I’m not spending another night here listening to the AC in the room and I’m afraid to eat here," on Sunday we had already starting eating off site except for toast and coffee in the morning. While she was packing I called Expedia to see what they could do, they told me, "Stay on the line. I’ll call the Hotel." About ten minutes later he came back on the line and said to me, "They will do nothing. You have to write a letter to customer service."

I was flabbergasted this is the way this Hotel does business. So that’s what I’m doing. Writing to you to see how you are going to compensate me for suffering with the food poisoning and loss of my vacation for four days, not sleeping for three days, paying for food off site for Sunday for my wife and I, lunch and dinner on Saturday for my wife off site. I also checked out a day early, we checked out at 11:45 AM on Monday instead of Tuesday. I’m not looking to stay at any of your Hotels again.

I would like to say my wife and I have been traveling all over for 40 years and have never had an experience like this or been treated like this before. Another thing that we did not like and other couples mention it also is the loud head banging music. It is non-stop from around 10:00 AM until 11:00 PM. It consist of three screaming girls who screamed because they could not carry a note in a suitcase. It started out at the pool and then moved up outside in the restaurant areas. The three building are set up in a U so the music echoes through all the rooms on the inside. They did not play to the crowd which for the most part were adults. Very few kids. None of the restaurants serve any drinks. Just beer or wine.

As mention by others which I wish I had read before we made our arrangements is the four restaurants do not take reservations, and if you are not online by 6:00 PM and at the front of the line you get handed a beeper with no guarantee of a sitting because the restaurants only serve from 6-9 PM. Each restaurant is small and only seats at best 50-75 people depending on which one you go to. The two that we got into with another couple, the food was Uneatable the four of pushed it away. Aruba was nice but stay at the Hyatt or the Marriott or any of the other nice Hotels in the area, and eat at the restaurants on the street. There are many good ones.

RIU Hotels Company Information