1.44/5

Looking for a travel site?

RIU Hotels

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

RIU Hotels Reviews

Original review: March 18, 2019

I prefer not to give riu.com reservation company ANY stars, but that isn't an option. This is, by far, the worst experience in attempting to book a reservation. I attempted to book a flight w/ hotel twice with them. The first attempt, it stated there was an issue with my payment method, BUT it still managed to charge my card for both hotel and flight, with no confirmation email or any record of me trying to book. It took me 2 hours to discuss this with my bank and have this charge deleted from my account.

The customer service dept at riu.com gave me zero explanation of why this happened, they only told me that they are holding those funds, but "it should be released from my account in 4-5 days". WHAT?!?! Stupidly, I made another attempt at scheduling a reservation! My second attempt, I went through the whole process again and submitted my information and hit the, it was attempting to process and then this popped up: "We hate when this happens. The price of your trip has changed from $1,983.24 to $2,099.24. Rates can change frequently. Book now to lock in this price." They changed the price of the trip AFTER I hit submit. AGAIN...no reservation confirmation received, OR any record that I booked, BUT they certainly charged my card again!!! I DO NOT recommend this company, almost feels like it's a scam. I should have looked into reviews of this company prior to reserving with them!

Original review: March 10, 2019

My boyfriend and I stayed at RIU Palace in Cabo San Lucas on 2/19 - 2/26. My best friend got married at a RIU, we have stayed at a many different RIU’s and we even planned to ourselves get married at a RIU. After my stay in Cabo, I will never return to a RIU. We will not marry at a RIU and my friends will never return. It all started prior to us arriving in Cabo. 2 weeks prior to our vacation we had to call and make a change to our reservation. The lady we spoke to was very pleasant and made the changes we requested.

She reminded us to call and set up our transportation to/from the airport. If you book directly through RIU, they will shuttle you to and from. We asked if we could do it right then and she reported we HAD to do it the day before our departure. I set an alarm on my phone and called the day before. I was sent to 3 different numbers, everyone saying they could not set up the ride – for many different reasons. RIU (the number we had initially called and had told us to call back) said they didn’t do the transportation and referred us to a transportation company who said they didn’t do it and referred us to another RIU extension.

I decided the day before we left I was not going to stress out about this and would just eat it and pay for a taxi. We did that and the day after we arrived at the hotel I spoke with the front desk and explained what had happened and told them I wanted to secure my transportation for our last day there now so we did not need to worry about. They apologized and were more than happy to help with that. They referred me to the transportation people. We watched them write our room number in the scheduler and went on the rest of our vacation.

Then comes our day to leave. We arrive downstairs and they say they cannot find our info in the book (after we watched them write it down). Then their story changes and they say that we arrived downstairs at 9:21 (instead of 9:20) and that the shuttle (which was supposed to leave at 9:30) had already left. This was at 9:25. We went to the front desk who told us that “that transportation” is not RIU’s and they are separate. I inquired why they would send me to them after I had explained in depth the day I arrived our situation.

They had no answers. I asked to speak with a manager. Giovana was working the front desk and was the 2nd most unprofessional customer service agent I have ever encountered. Brenda, her manager, being the MOST unprofessional. She refused to come and talk with us, saying we could talk with transportation about it. We had already tried that! She was literally standing 10 feet away and refused to come over and talk with us. Nothing was done. I have stayed at many resorts and hotels and have never ever experienced something quite like this. We ended up paying (again) the $80 to get to the airport.

Aside from the transportation issues, the housekeeping there was VERY sketchy. I have never stayed at a hotel where they deliver towels to your room at 11 pm. Keep in mind, we already had our room serviced earlier that afternoon. After reading about how many people have recently had money/valuables stolen from their room, it kind of makes sense.

Another issue we had was that on several nights multiple restaurants were closed. This forced us to eat at the buffet more than we wanted. Dinner is 6pm-9pm and we would arrive downstairs for dinner at 6:30 pm to be told by every single restaurant open, that they were full for the remainder of the night. You pay a pretty penny to stay at a RIU, especially the Palace and you expect a few things in return, like decent food and some customer service. Like I said earlier, we will never return to a RIU.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: March 9, 2019

I reserved 2 rooms and paid for an ocean view for my 5 day stay. One room had a partial view of ocean not a full ocean view like it should have been. My father’s room had no view at all of the ocean because of the Palm trees in the way. I called the front desk right away. The male supervisor was arguing with me insisting that both rooms were ocean views. As you can see they are not. I asked if he was going to discount the rooms one of them to a partial ocean view and the other to a no view. He said he could not. He said the best he could do because the hotel was full was change our rooms after 3 nights. Which if we did would have gave us only 2 nights with an ocean view.

Also my father and myself were both charged as if there were 2 people in our room. When I booked it I told them it was 1 person per room. Online there is a difference in price for 1 or 2 people per room and we were charged for 2 people per room. I contacted them when I got back to the United States via email since this was in Mexico. The After travel RIU customer service women named Melinda **. Said there was nothing she could do.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

RIU Bambu Punta Cana was not 5 star quality. I could always find something I liked on the buffets I would rather have had less buffets and more restaurants with menus. You could not make reservations so it was hard to get into the steakhouse. The activities staff seemed too into themselves than being there for guests. For a family resort I expected more for kids and families. We tried to get a game after 5 while we waited for dinner and were told they were already locked up.

Two nights had no entertainment, but a pool party that seemed like spring break. I cut the bottom of my foot on a grate between sections of tiles. Was told to walk 5 minutes to doctor. Staff not helpful at all. New Year's Eve had nothing special for entertainment. 2 plug-ins in room didn't hold plug so they didn't work. And a lamp sparked when you plugged it in. I have stayed at RIU's before and this one was nowhere as good. Most staff not that pleasant. I think I'll try different company next time.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

This review may be all over the place. I am still very upset and very angry. We (4 of us) checked in on Friday Sept 28, 2018. My friends shared a room (2 females). They went to bed at 10:30 and awoke at 4:30 am to find they had been robbed. A man had entered thru the balcony door as they slept. He found my friend's purse on the cocktail table, took it back out onto the balcony, went through it and found the safe key. He went back into their room, opened the safe and stole $1060.00 from one friend and from the other $1000.00 and a $600.00 phone that was also in the safe. On the way out he grabbed my other friend's purse which had her driver's driver's license, her bank card, a digital camera and a bracelet in it. They weren't at the resort 12 hours! Security was called. I use the word security very lightly. They were a joke. Untrained, ignorant and beyond rude.

I asked if the police had been called. I was asked "If I wanted them called"? I said, "Yes, I would like them called right now". I was told they would call them when their investigation was done. An hour later when I asked if the police were called I was told "I tried to reach them, I haven't gotten them yet". I went to the front desk. I asked for the phone number of the police dept. I CALLED THE POLICE!!! As I was on the phone, the hotel called them as I was told by the person at the police dept. As I was standing in the lobby I noticed a young woman on the hotel phone crying. She was robbed while she slept too. Her room was a couple of doors away from my friends. When the detectives came some 45 mins later to investigate they really didn't seem to care either. They were just going thru the motions. They gave off the impression they were bothered to be there.

There were hands prints on the balcony wall outside of 3 rooms, very visible from their room. There were fingerprints on the glass slider. Neither the police or security took pictures or did anything about the handprints/fingerprints. We were told they didn't have the technology to do anything with them. My friends were treated like they were the guilty as was the other poor girl who was traveling alone. She lived in Jamaica. They treated her worse. We asked for the hotel manager over and over. We never saw him or talked to him in the 7 days we were there. We got the Public Relations rep Carlington **. The crappiness continued. He was smug and matter of fact. He moved their rooms when we asked him too. None of the women felt safe any more. Would you? What a violation. Can you image a man entering your room as you slept? How does one recover from that? What if my friends had woke up?

What if there was a struggle? What if he had a weapon? What if there were hurt or killed? No one cared. Not one "I'm sorry." The young girl was alone. What if she had been **? Or killed? She was alone, no one would have heard anything. There are no cameras anywhere near guests rooms, not in the halls, not on the steps. There aren't any lights on any of the balconies. Later that day we learned there were 2 American Tourist staying at the Riu in Montego Bay were ** at gun point in their rooms the day before we got there. He also came thru the balcony door. (It was all over the news). Back to Carlington **. He asked the girls if they could give him until the next day at 6pm to gather all the info and make some phone calls. We were to meet Sunday night. He called in the morning asked if "their rooms were ok and how they were".

When we came to the meeting nothing had changed and the bottom line was he wasn't in the position to do anything. He offered them Spa Treatments and passes to Dunn's river!!! Talk about a slap in the face. I can't or won't do a damn thing for you but how about a Spa Treatment? No cash. Not even a $100.00 knowing they had every bit of cash taken from the safe in their room. He said when we got home (which was in 5 days) someone would call them. (We have been home 3 days, no one has called). I also emailed 5 times, I posted on their FB page, I messaged them. I got an automated response and NOTHING ELSE!! Riu does not have a customer service number, you can only email. As of today no one has responded. As you can image my friends were devastated. They looked forward to this vacation for months. They spent a lot of money to come to Jamaica. Their vacation was pretty much over in 12 hours.

They spent most of their time in their room. As you can image how does one recoup from this? They never felt safe. I didn't feel safe. I have never felt unsafe at a resort before this. The only person who said she was sorry or cared at all was Erica the Amstar rep. She works for Apple. She sells excursions. She was the only one who helped. She did follow up calls to the police station. She called Apple to find out what our travel insurance covered. It does not cover cash or phones. She doesn't even work for the hotel. She showed more compassion and understanding than anyone. The police report was to be rushed to have back to us the day before we left. They never got a police report. No one from the Riu corporation ever spoke to us during the 7 days. We never saw or spoke to the manager, No one checked back in with my friends from Sun-Fri. I have stayed at Riu resorts in the past. I will never stay there again.

I won't go to Jamaica again. The employees we talked to told us this wasn't uncommon. It happens quite often. The maids would clean the room and leave the balcony doors unlocked after cleaning them. Happened twice in my room. Once in the room of my friend. I will give a fair review of the place. The resort is beautiful. The food is good. I recommend the Japanese place. The rooms all smelled musty from the drapes and couches. The rooms were very clean. The hotel front desk staff was unfriendly. The entertainment was also very good. They worked from early morning to midnight. I saw a review about watered down drinks. I was told they were watered down a few times. The pools were dirty!! The main pool was closed 3 days in a row until late afternoon to be treated. The main pool is full of mold. The grout is black from mold. Straws floated in the pool. Dirt and sand lined the bottom. Cups were in the bottom of the pool.

Staff ignored all the empty cups sitting around the pool until around 5. Security or shall I say the lack of security should alarm you. This is 2018. The room keys are real keys with your room number on the tag. You get handed a lock with an actual key. The safe is not digital. Other building in deluxe area had key cards. You should never have this experience when staying in a resort. Security needs training and Carlington ** should not be the face of that hotel. He needs sensitivity training and he needs to be removed from his position. I have never seen anyone handle something so poorly. This man is a joke. He made you feel unimportant. As a guest you are entitled to be treated with respect as are your concerns...everyone matters as does their safety. I hope this review finds its way up the chain. I hope you take what I've written to heart and consider it before choosing to go to the Riu in Ocho Rios.

There is no doubt in my mind THIS WAS AN INSIDE JOB!! This man had no fear, he knew his way around the room, he knew where the safe was and how to open it quietly. He also opened the balcony door with ease. When we compared notes with the other girl that was robbed it came out that the girl that checked them in offered them surprise upgrades on her own. She told them both "I'm going to upgrade you to a nicer room, keep it between us". No one care about that either. I hope this review helps. My friends stayed on the 2nd floor. Notice the overhang. He climbed that and walked down the whole row of rooms, scaling the divider wall between each room. Unnoticed by security.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RIU Hotels?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I stayed at the RIU Santa Fe in Los Cabos from Sept 24-Oct 1. There were plenty of issues with the room from as soon as I arrived, however I was willing to overlook them as I was on a family vacation and all of the staff were (or seemed) really nice. I put my bag in the safe, had it locked the whole time other than on 2 occasions but the DND on the door the whole time I was there other than on 1 occasion. I only requested someone to enter my room on two occasions. I got full service once, and on another day I requested towels, and I was in the room when she brought them. She however didn't have anymore facecloths and we went to the pool, when we came back there were facecloths.

On a third day I requested water that never came and I had to go and retrieve it myself meaning nobody should have been in my room. On one other occasion I had noticed someone was in my room as someone had refilled my minibar though I didn't request it. I didn't think much of the occasions when my room was entered when it wasn't requested as we were drinking all the water in there while we were there and thought it was helpful to have it refilled and obviously the towels were used. On the day I went to check out, at 9 am I was repacking all my things and was counting my money to see what was left. I had $160 USD missing. One $100 USD bill and 3 $20 USD bills. The KIND soul who stole from me had enough restraint to leave me $50 in $5 dollar usd bills in my envelope.

I ripped apart my entire suitcase and wallet looking for the money. I have enough sense to know that I didn't put it elsewhere but I was willing to give it a shot. At 9:30 am I went to front desk to report my issue, I asked for a manager and was not directed to one. I was told to fill out a report, and that within 24 hours I would get an update from them on their investigation and I would get a note slipped under my door. I told them I was checking out that day and they said that their director would email me then with their resolution. I was given a sheet of paper with the "directors" email.

The following day, 24 hours went by and I still hadnt heard. I left it alone, gave them more time. Finally by the 3rd day, I emailed THEM asking for an update even though they should have reached out to me, no response. Emailed them again on the 5th day, no response. It is now October 8th, and I checked out on the 1st and I have still yet to receive an update on my case nor have I even received any sort of acknowledgment to my emails or my case.

DO not stay at the Santa Fe. -The housekeepers do not thoroughly clean, and the hotel has the worst communication skills on the planet. They wait till you check out to spring fees and charges on you that were never mentioned AND then have the nerve to be rude when you inquire why there is any charge at all for something that was their error. (It's an all inclusive resort, what if you didn't have money or spent it all as they never told you about them??)

-Something was leaving bites all over my legs the first 3 days I was there until I requested full service and had the sheets changed. (I do not know what was eating me but they were NOT mosquito bites.) -The hotel mirrors have these horrible giant black circles all over them. -The tub in our joined room needed work. -There were cockroaches in the hallway. -Tiny little red ants crawling on the tables at dinner at the buffet. -Server at the main bar in the lobby at night is extremely rude IF you don't tip. -Food was mediocre at best.

Then when we were finally checking out, the Sunwing staff was extremely rude and unhelpful. There were no signs marking where the pick up was and not a single soul bothered to ask us if we were with the departing party when we were clearly standing in the lobby with all our luggage. It wasn't until a giant line formed (that we were there long before) that we tried to get in line and they told us to get to the back.

Additionally they weigh your carry on luggage which is the most ridiculous thing as typically when your suitcase is over, you take things out and put it in your carry on. I didn't have this issue but the fact alone that they asked to weigh my carry on tells me they probably encounter this ridiculous issue all the time. If you don't mind your things being stolen and nobody taking any accountability for their shady room staff, the front desk being rude or the fact that the property is dirty - definitely stay at the Santa Fe as the staff who actually greeted and ran the activities were very nice.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

This is absolutely the worse place to stay if you're ** and Gay. And the reason I say ** and gay is because there is another couple we know personally here (**) and they been treated like kings. I question myself wondering do they think we won’t tip (which we would leave a top because that’s what we do in California). But not true. They are not hungry for tips. From the beginning to the end we have been treated so bad. Monday we arrived and the front desk lady tells us that we will receive a free gift for our anniversary on Wednesday. It’s not Saturday no gift which is fine but why LIE.

Tuesday we go to the bar by the pool and sit at the bar. Say hello in English and Spanish and he looked at us and walked away. So we assumed he didn’t hear us so we went to the other side and sat down and he skipped us, and went to the straight ** couple that sat next to us and wife of the couple says, "Didn’t you come first" and flags the bartender down. He throws up his hands showing frustration and we walk away. I turn around he’s shaking his hand laughing. Wednesday we walk into the buffet and get no service but everyone around us got service. I raised my hand for service. I just wanted a drink and ketchup. He tells me (un minuto) means one minute. He never comes back to help and when he did all he said was (they are closing in few). We ask for drinks and ketchup and never received anything. We didn’t even get our plates cleaned off our table.

Thursday we got to (bamboo) waited to be seated for 15 mins. It was long for us but still waited patiently. We get seated by a waiter not the host and after eating for about ten mins the host comes (black uniform) and yells at us and demands us to move. We were puzzled so I ask him why? He snatches our plates and puts it on another table walks away saying (**) meaning (**). I’m from California. I know all the bad words. The worst day of all was when I went to the steakhouse. I literally cried. I wanted to go to my room and didn’t want to come back out. I arrived an hour before closing and wore the wrong shirt. My fault and was sent back to my room because I had to go in my room and change and iron a shirt to eat. I was served cold food, but earlier that day we sat down at the pool and was asked to move because they needed to clean so we did and they never cleaned and sat two ** people in our chair.

I walk up to the people and they apologize and give us our seat back. At dinner we sat down next to a ** couple and was asked to move and I asked why and the waiter tells me, "This seat has been assigned" so we got up and asked what table can we sit at with our plates in our hands and he just points and says, "THERE" AS HE POINTING ACROSS THE ROOM. So I say, "Well that doesn’t indicate where" and huffs and puffs and brings us to the table. So we sit down and he walks away so I see him bringing drinks to other tables so I raise my hand and he comes over and I say, "Can we get our drinks" and he points to the soda machine and says, "They are right there" and walks away. I broke down and left and went to my room. The treatment is so bad I literally been trying to find other places and towns to visit so I can at least enjoy my time here.

It’s now Saturday 8:12 pm and I’m sitting in my room because my husband asked me “Can you stay in the room. I don’t want any disrespect tonight. I’ll bring you food" as he walks out with his own bottle of soda because he knows he won’t be drinking with his meal. This is so unexcitable and all I want to do is cry thinking about how horrible we were treated. Something needs to be done because this is discrimination to the max. I’m not threatening anyone but I’m debating if I want to seek legal actions. My mental stage from this type of treatment has me not wanting to travel anywhere because I am GAY AND **.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

RIU has hit a home run with the updates and improvements on the Paradise Island property. The outstanding and customer friendly attitude of all the staff makes a huge difference! The specialty restaurants and buffets were definitely top notch! This resort has been remodeled, the decor and cleanliness is impeccable!

Original review: July 19, 2018

We got a reservation for RIU hotel in Negril from 6/13/2018 to 621/2018. But we have to cut short my vacation, because my mother got ill in Miami. We got a call 6/16/2018 from my sister that doctor say she was in bad shape. We start packing and early the next day we left. We have until Wednesday, so I have three or fourth day that I didn't issued. We send to Expedia and Riu the days she was in the Hospital and the dead Certificate so I can get a refund for the fourth day that we didn't stay in the RIU you and Expedia denied my claim We so that the RIU Hotels was a fear company. My friends recommend Riu hotels but they make a big mistake. I will never recommend your company to anyone because you the only things you did was stealing the rest of my fourth day that we still didn't stay in your Hotel.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I recently stated at RIU Palace in Negril, Jamaica and was injured on their property... they offered nothing but a room on a lower floor and room service. I had to pay for the nurse because I refused to sign a form stating I would not settle for the $40 they offered. I just feel violated and sad... that my trip was ruined. The staff was not helpful and left me bleeding in the lobby for what seemed like a lifetime. Contacting their corporate office! Also the photos on website are not correct... the rooms are very outdated and smelled of mildew.

RIU Hotels Company Information