2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.06/5

Rent-A-Wreck Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rent-A-Wreck?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rent-A-Wreck?

Original review: July 27, 2020

The folks were easy to deal with. From start to finish, directions were easy to follow. Picking up the car was easy, UNTIL.. got in the vehicle to leave. It was filthy!! Dog hair and drool all over the rear seat. Passenger side had muddy paw prints and wet nose marks on the windshield from the previous renter. And on the outside, the hood and roof were badly scratched. Unless they get better at cleaning, we WILL NOT be using this service again!! And if allowed, I have pictures! Just nasty!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Be aware of this company and stay away at all costs. I wish I would have seriously listened to the reviewers below and paid a little extra money for a rental car at a reputable rental company. Now I understand why their cars are so cheap and literally "wrecks." This business and the individuals working here are unethical and unprofessional. When I picked up the first car, it was scratched, dented, and had a dirty interior. The oil light came on the same day I rented it and I had to take time out of work the next day to get a new one! The new car was even worse! Again, dirty, scratched, dented, and in poor condition. Dawn does an extensive walk around and takes multiple photos and videos on her phone.

Mind you, the car is in poor condition to begin with so I don't understand the point of her taking videos. I now understand that this is so they can charge you for normal wear and tear when you return the car (as per other reviewers). Two months into my rental I had to take the car in to be fixed because a plastic piece was falling off near the bumper and they blamed it on me! Throughout the time I had the car, it was so squeaky and made a horrible buzzing sound whenever I went over 20 mph. I called and emailed Dawn several times to get another replacement car, but she either ignored my request or told me she didn't have any cars available. My dad recently came to visit me and noticed he could barely see out of the rearview window because it was so dark and tinted.

The car didn't have window shield wipers on the rearview window. He wondered how I've been driving with these issues because the tinting makes it so hard to see out of, not to mention extremely dangerous. Finally, because they are closed on Sundays and my car is due on a Sunday, they want me to leave the car in a random parking lot and take an extensive video of it so I can prove I didn't damage anything during the time I rented it. I've never had to do this with other rental car companies or Zipcar. This company is ridiculous and money is the number one priority for them!

Finally, I was pulled over and my car was towed because they didn't bother to update the stickers on the license plate. They made ME pay for the tow and demanded to see my ticket, which I sent them. Dawn told me she didn't put the new sticker on because people "steal them." They have yet to refund me for the towing. I only put up with this company for months because I was working 7 days a week and had little free time. I didn't have the energy to argue back and forth with them and keep on getting replacement cars just to have to return the car and get a new one.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

First off if it's too good to be true then it probably is. This scam of a company does nothing it list on its website for the Newark (EWR) location. Want some proof? Call their # that's listed for this location (908-288-7663) & you'll get, "Sorry the # you are trying to reach is no longer in service." But wait, there's more! Its location at Newark Int'l (3 Brewster Rd Unit 3) is a construction site/dirt mound. Don't use this company. Don't bother calling, reserving on-line, putting it into your GPS, you'll save a lot of time but more importantly you'll save your $$$. I would love for them to reach out to me but since the # is no longer in service I highly doubt they would. ***DO NOT USE THESE SCAMMERS***

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I feel that it's extremely unfair that RENT-A-WRECK in Erie, Pennsylvania charged me a $13 fee on top of the minimal $4.50 charge (from the State) for going through an E-Z PASS toll booth which was a newly implemented CASHLESS TOLL booth on the PA turnpike. According to PAturnpike.com, "Motorists will not longer pay with cash on roadway and tolls will be billed through the mail." Therefore, there was no way for me to pay with cash at the tollbooth (because no attendants are there). The only way to be billed is by PA Turnpike TOLL BY PLATE which was billed to Rent-A-Wreck for the amount of $4.50.

The total Rent-A-Wreck charged me was actually $17.49- so either they charged me $13 fee or there was tax. Ashley did not offer any courtesy and simply said to "See attached contract" which reads: "You are responsible for payment of tolls, parking or traffic citations, fees, fines, violations and/or penalties (each referred to as "Infraction") and authorize RENT-A-WRECK to release your payment info to a Processor for the billing of "Infractions," plus a processing fee of up to $50 for EACH of the "Citations" incurred during this rental." So, apparently going through a CASHLESS TOLL is considered an "Infraction" to them and they can bill me up to $50 EACH time I go through a CASHLESS toll booth? That doesn't make sense to me and seems very unfair.

They charged my credit card anyways, so why do they have to tack on a fee? Additionally, they only give you 100 miles per day and charge 0.19 cents a mile. We had to rent the car to pick me up from the Cleveland Airport. The car with a dirty old Chevy Malibu (maybe 2010?) with stained seats and smelled like smoke, you would think they would cut me a break with the sub-par quality car. Anywho, I thought they were nice at first when making reservation, but come to find out these additional charges, I will go with Enterprise from now on. I advise you to NOT use Rent-A-Wreck if you plan on driving on the interstate. If this fee is refunded I will change my review; however, I do not see that happening.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I used Rent-A-Wreck Seattle in April 2019. It was a weekend trip to one of Puget Sound islands and my total mileage was about 100 miles for a 3 day trip. It was easy drive via I 5 and once I arrived my destination, I did not drive the car at all. So I was shocked when I got an email from Rent-A-Wreck on Monday morning, the car I drove has a damage and I am responsible for the cost of the repair. They even pointed out I do not have to worry, because my insurance would pay for it. I replied back to the email and asked for a detailed description of the damage and pictures.

Once I disputed in a very polite manner, they changed the tone stating that why I did not take pictures if I thought I did not cause the damage. I remembered there was a poster on the office door, the instruction for weekend returning customers. It asked us to make sure to drop off the key and do not forget personal belongings. Then stated that picture taken is optional. And I also remembered that I was a bit panicked, I did not know they close on weekends, and I could not find the instruction or the mailbox to return the key. I text and emailed them asking instructions and told them that I had to go, and must catch the flight.

Anyways, once I asked more information, they stopped contacting me. I attempted to follow up with them twice via email. But I never got a response. Next, I got new claim order from my insurance company for the car. My Agent advised me there was an identifiable but very minor damage and the picture was taken on Monday morning. The agent said, it is a hardly recognizable damage on the front passenger side bumper, it happens sometimes when you park to close to a parking curb, it will cost only $ 160 plus, and the agent said they can take care of it. So I decided to approve the claim.

Meantime my deposit of $ 201 (even though I paid in full in advance, they requested to pay) was never refunded. I disputed it via my bank, but I lost it, because they provided my signed the contract and the damage reports. I thought it was over at last but I was too optimistic. I received a debt invoice from a debt collection company stating that I owe $ 884.53 for Rent-A-Wreck for 1. anticipated loss of use, 2. diminution in value and 3. administrative fee. I cannot believe it. I am going to consult with my lawyer. Please Please if you are reading this. Avoid going there. Rent-A-Wreck is a NIGHTMARE!!!

Original review: July 11, 2019

Rented a car from this location- it was a 2 day rental and per the rules I get 150 per day- I drove the car 337 miles during the trip- I picked up around 1pm and returned at 5:30 next day which would make it a 2 day rental- upon return they charged me 187 miles extra @.29 per mile- instead of giving me the 150 per day they never game me mileage credit for the second day- I was not happy about the terms and the employee was basically “that’s how the system is set up.” I felt robbed of my money and will never rent from this fraud of a place again- they could care less how they treat their customers!! Bad business.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I called a month ahead of time to rent a car from this location and let them know I did not yet have a flight time because I was flying standby and they assured me that they were flexible with the pickup time and it wouldn't be a problem. I was able to get on a flight and arrived in the early afternoon and called for a ride to the rental agency and they informed me that they had marked me as a no show and voided my reservation and were now sold out of all cars.

The rep was also on lunch break and would not be back to the office for an hour to check any other options to help me out as I was stranded. He was very rude and displayed a severe lack of customer service skills. I later emailed in to corporate to see if I could get my "cancellation fee" refunded because I did everything in my power to prevent this from happening and after over a month of trying to get a response, I was finally informed they would not be refunding me for my troubles, all around poor experience. I recommend going anywhere else.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I booked a full-size car on April 16, 2018 for my vacation with my Family at Seattle between June 20 and June 27, 2018 and paid the full amount at the time of reservation. I was promised Hyundai Sonata or an equivalent full-size car. When I went to pick up the rental car at their facility, I was offered Toyota Yaris IA which is not full-size. Since I had planned my vacation with my family many months in advance, I agreed to pick up this car as I did not want to make my family wait at the airport indefinitely and travel to the other rental car companies’ facilities for the car we wanted. There was no time to negotiate with Rent-A-Wreck staff for not honoring the reservation. I inspected the car like any customer who is in dire need of a car or a vacation traveler would do. There were few scrapes, dents on the front, side and rear that I noticed and reported to them. This was the first shock and the unpleasant experience I had with Rent-A-Wreck.

Secondly on the same day, they asked me to deposit $100 in spite of this being a prepaid reservation and said this would be just kept on hold until I return my car. But after a couple of days, this transaction was posted to my account. Thirdly, on the day when I returned the car (06/27/2018) I had to go through even more awful experience. I think the staff’s name was Chris and he said there were a couple of scrapes and dents on the front, rear door driver side. He understood my urgency to catch the flight with my family and made me sign a declaration form to claim these damages. In the checkout invoice handed off to me, there were no clear information of the damages on the car.

This was also a PERFECT opportunity to keep my $100 deposit. He did not refund this back to my account. Finally, after a month or two I received a call from my auto insurance company that they’re claiming damages worth $4000. This is insane as they did not report any damages worth $4k to me at the time of checkout. Even while they inspected at the time of drop off, they could find only minor dents, scrapes which I wasn’t responsible for. Is the customer’s Insurance company a profit center for them? I have never witnessed such awful customer service in my life. It was more unpleasant experience with them. This place is a scam! Their business is shady. I would advise the other customers not to fall in their trap. Beware of Rent-A-Wreck Seattle!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

In May, I went in Island for 10 days with my boyfriend and we had a terrible experience with Rent-A-Wreck! They first gave us a car that was still dirty from the last customers (who also apparently filled the car with diesel). So it was indeed a wreck... Not knowing what to expect from car rental services in Island we accepted it grudgingly. As a start, we had to fill the tank with our own money because it was half empty. We spoke about it with the rental guy and he wrote an agreement on the rental contract so it seemed fine. However, at the gas station, we realised that some lights didn't work. So we called Rent-A-Wreck and asked for another car, a reliable one!

They said that they didn't have any car available from the airport but that we could drive all the way to Reykjavik and they would arrange something there. So we started driving to Reykjavik. After 15 minutes drive they called us telling us to drive back at the airport because they found a solution. They did find another car but they actually made an arrangement with another car rental company. However, they wanted us to pay again for this new car and expected us to sign a random refund paper written by hands for what we paid for the first car. We refused outright and negotiated to finally get a car without making a new payment.

After that episode everything went right with this second car. Yet we still had issue with the company because they were supposed to give us our money back for the gas we put in the first car. We called them many times during our holidays, but it was always very fuzzy and they never gave us a concrete answer. So then, we sent them an email with a copy of the paper the guy signed that said that they had to make a refund. They asked for our bank details even though they already had all this, so it seemed they just tried to win some time. As of today's date, we still haven't seen our money back and we lost loads of time because of their messed-up services. Rent-A-Wreck is a truly dishonest company. I don't recommend it!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I rented a car in Baltimore, MD on Northern Parkway. I rented a car for an entire 28 days. The first week, it took four tries to get a car with the least amount of stains on the inside seats. I was told that they only vacuum their cars. They don't wash windows, clean stains on seats, wash interior or exterior of the cars. I had to return it because a tire pressure light issue. They swapped the second car with a car with wire sticking out of the driver side front tire.

The third and final car was so filthy, the new name is Rent A Disgusting Wreck. Tenisha, refused to even come outside with a cloth and wipe down the inside. She was more concerned about making quotas and selling customers things they did not need like, medical insurance. I returned the car today and I forgot to take a charger, cord and flashlight from the center console and they refused to return the items. I would never rent from them again.

Rent-A-Wreck Company Information