1.0/5 (41 ratings)

About Rent-A-Wreck

Rent-A-Wreck Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rent-A-Wreck?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rent-A-Wreck?

Original review: April 25, 2022

On April 6 I reserved a car through Expedia from Rent-A-Wreck of Philadelphia Intl Airport. On the day of my trip, April 9, during my layover, I noticed an email in my SPAM folder from alternativeracnj@gmail.com (a random gmail account, NOT a Rent A Wreck or any corporate email account) claiming to be Rent-A-Wreck PHL and asking for credit card information and a photo of my driver’s license. This email did not list the reservation number, had grammatical errors and odd formatting, and looked just like a typical phishing scam.

If I sent you an email like that from my gmail account claiming to be your bank and I asked for your credit card information and photo of your driver's license, would you respond to it? But I called the Rent A Wreck phone number shown on the Expedia reservation to make sure everything was OK and was told that my reservation was canceled because I didn't respond in time to that shady email in my SPAM folder. Now I was left with no rental car on arrival.

I've rented cars dozens of times and never once had to reply to a random email with my credit card info *after* I had already reserved and *paid* online. The woman at Rent-A-Wreck I spoke with that day said she would at least refund my payment. But I just got the credit card bill later and the full rental charge is *still there*, even though their own rental policy lists $50 for late cancellation! I called Rent-A-Wreck PHL again to ask for a refund and was told they would *not* issue a refund and that the woman who told me that on the 9th no longer worked there. I suppose they feel they are not beholden to a former employee’s promises, nor to basic fairness for that matter.

They set unreasonable expectations for customers that no other rental agencies set by expecting them to respond to emails from a shady random account that could end up in a SPAM folder. They violated their own policies by charging the full rental fee instead of the stated $50 cancellation fee. They were completely dismissive in their interactions with me. The same people run Alternative Rent A Car of New Jersey. Avoid these businesses at all costs.

Original review: April 12, 2022

Rented a car from Rent-A-Wreck in Seattle near the airport. During my travels, I scraped the sidewalk with one of the tires. It scratched the tire and wheel, that's all. They charged my insurance $1,410.97 for a new wheel and tire. The tire and wheel were old, and I researched replacements and it cost $250. I appealed to them to just keep my 250.00 deposit and call it even, but they refused. What a rip off! $1228.40 is what my insurance paid for a tire and wheel. I will NEVER EVER rent from this scam company again. BEWARE!!!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

I ignored the bad reviews, focused on the good because I desperately needed a car rental. To begin with- the prepaid price isn’t actually the price they want you to pay. They will tell you this only upon arrival, they wanted an extra $30 per day- when I questioned this…. Let’s just say they were highly unprofessional. Then ALL OF A SUDDEN they no longer have a vehicle to rent to me. They had me call the corporate office at which point I spoke to a girl who was telling me I canceled and wouldn’t be getting a refund for up to 21 days.

No amount of logical reasoning was going to help this customer service person understand what had taken place, that I wasn’t the party that canceled- RAW was. To be honest, I wasn’t even sure I was speaking to a corporate office. This feels like a Scam. I’ve yet to see a penny returned to me, let alone the hundreds. Never mind the enormous waste of time at the location and the fallout of my plans. I am cautioning you- Do Not Use RAW.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Rent-a-Wreck (Seattle) tried to coerce me into buying their collision insurance. When I said "no" and told them my personal insurance extends to rental cars, the customer service guy said I couldn't take the car unless he could review my insurance policy. I didn't have that information for him so he said "call your insurance company and have them email it to me". I rent cars all the time and have NEVER had a company do this. I said "forget it, there's no reason on earth why you need a copy of my insurance policy". Even though I paid the deposit and showed my insurance ID card, they wouldn't let me take the car, so I left and had to cancel the reservation. They kept my deposit. Judging from some of these reviews, it looks like this company files sham damage reports against customers on a regular basis, and possibly fraudulent claims against their personal insurance, so I'm glad I didn't continue with my reservation.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

Absolutely awful, dirty car, bad service, false charges. It's not worth wasting your time because they wait til hours after drop off to report "damages", more specifically a crack in the windshield and they have no documentation to show me, because it's fabricated and I live out of state so I can't just go back in there as they request you do. Go to Avis, Budget, National, Dollar, Thrifty, Alamo, Enterprise just not R-A-W. They will do whatever they can to try to get more money out of you, they checked the car at drop off and there was no issue, so how does it magically happen and they have nothing to back them up.

Original review: July 27, 2020

The folks were easy to deal with. From start to finish, directions were easy to follow. Picking up the car was easy, UNTIL.. got in the vehicle to leave. It was filthy!! Dog hair and drool all over the rear seat. Passenger side had muddy paw prints and wet nose marks on the windshield from the previous renter. And on the outside, the hood and roof were badly scratched. Unless they get better at cleaning, we WILL NOT be using this service again!! And if allowed, I have pictures! Just nasty!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Be aware of this company and stay away at all costs. I wish I would have seriously listened to the reviewers below and paid a little extra money for a rental car at a reputable rental company. Now I understand why their cars are so cheap and literally "wrecks." This business and the individuals working here are unethical and unprofessional. When I picked up the first car, it was scratched, dented, and had a dirty interior. The oil light came on the same day I rented it and I had to take time out of work the next day to get a new one! The new car was even worse! Again, dirty, scratched, dented, and in poor condition. Dawn does an extensive walk around and takes multiple photos and videos on her phone.

Mind you, the car is in poor condition to begin with so I don't understand the point of her taking videos. I now understand that this is so they can charge you for normal wear and tear when you return the car (as per other reviewers). Two months into my rental I had to take the car in to be fixed because a plastic piece was falling off near the bumper and they blamed it on me! Throughout the time I had the car, it was so squeaky and made a horrible buzzing sound whenever I went over 20 mph. I called and emailed Dawn several times to get another replacement car, but she either ignored my request or told me she didn't have any cars available. My dad recently came to visit me and noticed he could barely see out of the rearview window because it was so dark and tinted.

The car didn't have window shield wipers on the rearview window. He wondered how I've been driving with these issues because the tinting makes it so hard to see out of, not to mention extremely dangerous. Finally, because they are closed on Sundays and my car is due on a Sunday, they want me to leave the car in a random parking lot and take an extensive video of it so I can prove I didn't damage anything during the time I rented it. I've never had to do this with other rental car companies or Zipcar. This company is ridiculous and money is the number one priority for them!

Finally, I was pulled over and my car was towed because they didn't bother to update the stickers on the license plate. They made ME pay for the tow and demanded to see my ticket, which I sent them. Dawn told me she didn't put the new sticker on because people "steal them." They have yet to refund me for the towing. I only put up with this company for months because I was working 7 days a week and had little free time. I didn't have the energy to argue back and forth with them and keep on getting replacement cars just to have to return the car and get a new one.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

First off if it's too good to be true then it probably is. This scam of a company does nothing it list on its website for the Newark (EWR) location. Want some proof? Call their # that's listed for this location (908-288-7663) & you'll get, "Sorry the # you are trying to reach is no longer in service." But wait, there's more! Its location at Newark Int'l (3 Brewster Rd Unit 3) is a construction site/dirt mound. Don't use this company. Don't bother calling, reserving on-line, putting it into your GPS, you'll save a lot of time but more importantly you'll save your $$$. I would love for them to reach out to me but since the # is no longer in service I highly doubt they would. ***DO NOT USE THESE SCAMMERS***

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I feel that it's extremely unfair that RENT-A-WRECK in Erie, Pennsylvania charged me a $13 fee on top of the minimal $4.50 charge (from the State) for going through an E-Z PASS toll booth which was a newly implemented CASHLESS TOLL booth on the PA turnpike. According to PAturnpike.com, "Motorists will not longer pay with cash on roadway and tolls will be billed through the mail." Therefore, there was no way for me to pay with cash at the tollbooth (because no attendants are there). The only way to be billed is by PA Turnpike TOLL BY PLATE which was billed to Rent-A-Wreck for the amount of $4.50.

The total Rent-A-Wreck charged me was actually $17.49- so either they charged me $13 fee or there was tax. Ashley did not offer any courtesy and simply said to "See attached contract" which reads: "You are responsible for payment of tolls, parking or traffic citations, fees, fines, violations and/or penalties (each referred to as "Infraction") and authorize RENT-A-WRECK to release your payment info to a Processor for the billing of "Infractions," plus a processing fee of up to $50 for EACH of the "Citations" incurred during this rental." So, apparently going through a CASHLESS TOLL is considered an "Infraction" to them and they can bill me up to $50 EACH time I go through a CASHLESS toll booth? That doesn't make sense to me and seems very unfair.

They charged my credit card anyways, so why do they have to tack on a fee? Additionally, they only give you 100 miles per day and charge 0.19 cents a mile. We had to rent the car to pick me up from the Cleveland Airport. The car with a dirty old Chevy Malibu (maybe 2010?) with stained seats and smelled like smoke, you would think they would cut me a break with the sub-par quality car. Anywho, I thought they were nice at first when making reservation, but come to find out these additional charges, I will go with Enterprise from now on. I advise you to NOT use Rent-A-Wreck if you plan on driving on the interstate. If this fee is refunded I will change my review; however, I do not see that happening.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I used Rent-A-Wreck Seattle in April 2019. It was a weekend trip to one of Puget Sound islands and my total mileage was about 100 miles for a 3 day trip. It was easy drive via I 5 and once I arrived my destination, I did not drive the car at all. So I was shocked when I got an email from Rent-A-Wreck on Monday morning, the car I drove has a damage and I am responsible for the cost of the repair. They even pointed out I do not have to worry, because my insurance would pay for it. I replied back to the email and asked for a detailed description of the damage and pictures.

Once I disputed in a very polite manner, they changed the tone stating that why I did not take pictures if I thought I did not cause the damage. I remembered there was a poster on the office door, the instruction for weekend returning customers. It asked us to make sure to drop off the key and do not forget personal belongings. Then stated that picture taken is optional. And I also remembered that I was a bit panicked, I did not know they close on weekends, and I could not find the instruction or the mailbox to return the key. I text and emailed them asking instructions and told them that I had to go, and must catch the flight.

Anyways, once I asked more information, they stopped contacting me. I attempted to follow up with them twice via email. But I never got a response. Next, I got new claim order from my insurance company for the car. My Agent advised me there was an identifiable but very minor damage and the picture was taken on Monday morning. The agent said, it is a hardly recognizable damage on the front passenger side bumper, it happens sometimes when you park to close to a parking curb, it will cost only $ 160 plus, and the agent said they can take care of it. So I decided to approve the claim.

Meantime my deposit of $ 201 (even though I paid in full in advance, they requested to pay) was never refunded. I disputed it via my bank, but I lost it, because they provided my signed the contract and the damage reports. I thought it was over at last but I was too optimistic. I received a debt invoice from a debt collection company stating that I owe $ 884.53 for Rent-A-Wreck for 1. anticipated loss of use, 2. diminution in value and 3. administrative fee. I cannot believe it. I am going to consult with my lawyer. Please Please if you are reading this. Avoid going there. Rent-A-Wreck is a NIGHTMARE!!!

Rent-A-Wreck Company Information