Rent-A-Wreck

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Simple advice.. DO NOT RENT CAR WITH THEM. NEVER EVER. They are playing with ones plans. I rented a car with them and they gave me way, way OLD car and its door was not functioning and I was not able to open door/get into the car itself and it was 11 PM night time. And no one was there to answer my questions. When I call them, they did not receive and finally I had to take Uber and they ruined my whole week plans. I called them 10 times and left VM over Saturday, Sunday, but they did not call me on Monday. I only had to call them that "I did not use your service as car was garbage and door was not functioning," and they were not at all feeling bad about this. They said "but we were able to open the door," then I said "I have a video of the car condition" then they said "we don't care. We were able to open the door."

Then I asked my credit card company to file dispute, and when credit card company call them, that said, they tried to reach me many time but I did not reply him. That was biggest lies. I am not sure what to write for this company. Please see attachment for the CAR they gave me. It might look good in picture but in real it was worst than worst and the door condition. And when we call they are saying nothing is wrong with door.

I received a phone call from James from the Newark Airport location who was informing me that I needed to sign some forms that were emailed to me regarding liability insurance. I explained that I was driving, but that I had some questions, and asked if he could explain what the insurance would provide? He told me that the forms are "self-explanatory" insisting that he is very busy but told me I was not interested in reading them. I reminded him that it was his job to explain his forms to me because I am unsure what the liability coverage is for. He said that it was "my job to drive one of his cars". Then he corrected himself and said, actually it was a "privilege" to be driving one of his cars. I told him it was a privilege to have a license to drive, but unsure why he was telling me that it was my job or my privilege to drive his Rent-A-Wreck car? His customer service skills were horrendous and he was extremely argumentative!

I was not asking him neurosurgery advice, I was asking him to relay to me what was covered. He must have felt really out of place being asked and was abrasive, arrogant, rude, and condescending. He called me, and he is what I had to deal with for answering the call from Rent-A-Wreck? I told him this was my first experience renting from this company and still could not answer my very "self-explanatory" question. Now, I do not know that I can trust them when I have to pick up my car tomorrow and it is too late to get my money back fully refunded. I will never do business with Rent-A-Wreck again! First and last experience! I normally rent with Hertz and Enterprise for business and I will continue with them from now on.

The "company" is a total scam. The car was delayed for over six hours without notice, charged cancellation fee even though the fault was theirs! Very rude and ignorant people. The office location of the business does not exist. Stay away from these scammers!

I also would give a zero star rating if possible. We made a reservation for a car in Seattle for the Christmas holiday season. We had to cancel because of complications, so I called Rent-A-Wreck in Seattle where the rude employee told me that they had charged my CC $25 cancellation fee. I told him I had just made the reservation first of all, and secondly, no other car rental company charges for a cancellation if done 24 hours before pick up. And thirdly, there was no reason to be rude, as we have dealt with many other car rental companies in the past (and present) and have always been treated with professionalism. He told me to "go **" myself, and hung up the phone!!! This mistreatment seems to be the norm, rather than the exception for Rent-a-Wreck. I will make it my mission to spread this information to every travel site I can. Their behavior is unacceptable in any situation. Beware!!!

I found this on their website: "We may affectionately refer to our cars as wrecks, but our fleet of clean, well maintained and safety inspected vehicles..." It's a complete lie!! I booked a minivan on 30th Aug. The car was a mess. One of the chairs inside was broken. It was pretty dirty on the inside as well. I had to buy a cleaning agent to clean up the car before I could let my family sit in there. The staff was not helpful at all in changing the car or getting it cleaned. The car was vibrating crazy once I reached the freeway. I will definitely really not recommend it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rent-A-Wreck?

MECHANICALLY UNSAFE, which was not apparent until either freeway speeds were reached or it was raining (significant pull to the left, brakes were sketchy when wet, wipers were so BAD I had to find a place to pull off and have them replaced); ILLEGAL TO DRIVE (the windshield was cracked which they assured me was not illegal, but when I checked with a former WA cop was assured I could be stopped and issued a ticket for the offense); The driver's side had a BROKEN WINDOW that got stuck in the down position and once I was able to raise it again I could not use it (making drive through situations interesting); and it was a SMOKE FILLED mess.

I don't care what the car looks like. I accepted the 167K dented mess (considering the name, I knew what I was getting into). But when I asked for another car I was told this was the last one. When I called another franchise after being on the road for thirty minutes and starting to realize the list of issues, I was told they couldn't fix it either. The final straw was when it started to pour on my way back north from Oregon and the brakes got wonky and I had to pull off and replace the wipers. I was on my way back to SeaTac. Was I supposed to pull off the freeway in the pouring rain and hope some person from this franchise was going to drive down and pick me up??? I was just told I should have brought the car back when I discovered the problems. So their argument was I was supposed to test drive the car, in the rain, before accepting it?? The website says the cars will be "safe". That is a total lie.

Not only will I never use this franchise again EVER. But the corporation has lost my business for life. It took over a week for corporate to finally contact me to tell me it was my fault I wasn't getting even a partial refund. The local franchise still hasn't had the guts or decency to respond to me. It's been over three weeks since I returned the car with a two-page letter detailing my concerns. I almost put my kids into this car without knowing what I was stepping into. This must stop before someone is killed.

My husband made a reservation for my son and sister and their dates changed and tried to cancel the reservation. And Jose the manager said that I could not and that my husband had signed the paperwork - contract. What a rude person.

Actually, consider this a ZERO star review. I flew across country for a very important job interview. Since it was a quick stay (1 day), and last minute, I booked with RAW: they were the only ones that had the availability I needed. The two year old Nissan I was given looked great, but the A/C didn't work. They offered to fix it, but as I was on a strict time frame I couldn't wait, so opted to drive the no A/C vehicle. All was great until after I checked into my hotel, then went to grab a quick lunch. The car refused to start. After about 10 minutes of trying, it finally came to life. I had RAW on the phone and was told there "isn't anything wrong with the car" and "the lady that just brought it back didn't complain," and "just drive it." So... I stop for lunch and guess what, the car doesn't start again. Another call to RAW: I told them to bring me a new car as I needed something reliable to get me to the interview.

The gentleman on the line said maybe I "could get a jump from someone," but they couldn't drive the 36 miles to bring me a working vehicle. He suggested the problem might be the engine kill switch and to keep trying. I spent 30 minutes in the heat before it finally started. However, that luck didn't last long enough to get me to my interview on time! I was stuck on the side of the road, in the middle of the desert at noon (in a black dress suit), praying that a cab would come out that far. Though I got a cab in the desert (for an additional $40), I was late to the interview. Rent-A-Wreck apologized profusely telling me they were on the way with a different car, that a wrecker would pick up the original, and RAW would refund ALL my money. It's a week later, and of the $123.10 I paid for a one day rental, I've received a refund for $49. They assessed me a $72 surcharge (!!!) for using 1/2 gallon of gasoline. When they say RENT-A-WRECK, they're not joking.

Rent-a-Wreck's website states: "We keep our fleet of cars, trucks, and vans clean and well-maintained; they are far from wrecks! Our vehicles are more like the cars you drive everyday." My car, however, was in fact an absolute wreck. To list just a few of its deficiencies: trunk was broken and would not open; interior reeked of mildew and the sun visors overhead light, and vent covers had been ripped out; turn signal did not work; tires were noticeably under-inflated and car could not be safely driven over 55 mph (one tire eventually went entirely flat); headlights were so clouded that driving at night was unsafe.

Clearly this is not an everyday used car. Renting a car of this deplorable condition is not only deceitful and unprofessional, but due to the risk to my safety and life, also seriously unethical and a huge legal and financial liability to Rent-a-Wreck. (What would have happened if I have been in an accident caused by the broken turn signal or under-inflated tires?) To say I am appalled and furious with Rent-a-Wreck is an understatement. I will ensure my experience is known by as many people as I can, and that others never make the mistake I did and rent from a company as shameful and shady as Rent-a-Wreck.

We hired two cars from here last autumn. One had a collapsed suspension and bald tires and the other had brake disks so worn that the disk was being ground down. After returning home we got a bill for 10,000 NOK for damage to the underfloor of the car with collapsed suspension. Avoid at all costs.

On a trip to New York with the family, we decided to rent a 6-passenger van from Rent-A-Wreck in Newark NJ. When a shuttle bus brought us to a parking lot to pick up the vehicle, I was shown the vehicle I was expected to drive off the lot with my family in tow. This is where everything went south very quickly. The vehicle was rundown. Trim missing from the bumper (front and rear), nasty sagging seats that were uncomfortable just to look at and generally looking like it was driven for some time in a third-world country before being retired to Rent-A-Wreck in Newark, NJ. There was NO WAY I was going to pay $694.48 for what was literally a wreck and put my family through that.

I was given a number to call and spoke to a girl about my concerns. She put me on hold and got back to me after speaking to her boss. The option I was given was to take this vehicle for four days and return on Wednesday for a better vehicle. I explained that I was headed to Warwick, NY and that returning four days later to pick up a better vehicle was out of the question. I asked to speak to her boss. He or she never called me back. Subsequently I rented an Infinity SUV from Hertz as soon as I left that lot for about 75.00 less.

The face sheet of their used car rental and leasing states, "In the event that a van is not available due to circumstances beyond our control, we agree to refund your money back in full." That never happened and I am currently two months later going on round 2 of trying to get my credit card issuer to settle this matter. I live in Arizona and just happened to check the local Rent-A-Wreck website. The images of the vehicles are not even close to representing what I was supposed to drive my family around the state of New York for a week.

Please do not rent a vehicle from this franchise location based on the images on the internet. You will have your trip ruined, lose your money and have a very frustrating experience with people that have no business sense regarding customer satisfaction. Do yourself a big favor and shop around and deal with a reputable company who stands behind their product with pride. Sign up for all the rental company membership cards and get their discounts on rentals. If you want to drive a vehicle that looks like it just returned from the ISIS fleet of war vehicles, then Rent-A-Wreck in Newark, NJ is the place for you. But PLEASE, leave your family home.

In the spring of 2015 I reserved a minivan from Rent-A-Wreck. Soon after making the reservation I was contacted by a customer service rep. telling me that if I didn't want to get one of their old cars I would have to pay an additional $200. I declined. A little while later the rep called me back and said she would have to cancel the reservation because I was not willing to pay the extra $200. She said this was a policy dictated by the head office. I told her I expected to get the best car available at the price quoted in the reservation. I checked the Rent-A-Wreck website at that time and could not find any mention of different pricing for different aged vehicles and the same vehicle for the same time was still available for the same price.

True to her word, the vehicle we received was in horrible shape. The car had over 200,000 miles on it with major dents on all sides of the vehicle and duct tape on the side window. The tires were so bald that at one point while driving up a straight not-very-steep hill on a major highway the tires started to skid out. The dirtiness and smell of the interior was truly disgusting. We had to air out the car before we could even get in. The car had not been vacuumed or cleaned and had less than half a tank of gas. We also had to pay a parking fee to a third party when we picked up the car. While using the car it died and we had to call for roadside assistance to get a jump start. The battery had not been installed properly and we spent a day of our trip finding a mechanic and getting the electrical system looked at as well as one of the tires repaired. This resulted in us having to book an additional hotel since we could not make it to the hotel we had planned to stay in.

While we were dealing with getting the vehicle repaired the customer service rep at the Rent-A-Wreck head office insisted he would take care of us. When the repairs were complete and I asked for compensation for costs associated with dealing the repair of the vehicle he said he wouldn't be able to help us and immediately his phone started cutting out and went dead and I never heard from him again. I tried emailing him the receipts for costs but never received a response. I also emailed my request for compensation to the office I rented the vehicle from and never received a response.

WHAT A MISTAKE. I do not even know where to start. I made reservations to rent a minivan from the Rent-A-Wreck car rental company. I called and confirmed my car rental 3 (three) days in advance. I also called and asked questions, and the night before, I called again just to double check. When I came to pick up the car (on time at 2 p.m.) I was informed that they did not have the car. I was there left without a car, planned and scheduled to leave to South Carolina in one hour. Not one person seemed to care. This was on Friday, July 31 of 2015. The staff is so unprofessional and unfortunately very ignorant. No word of sympathy, or "We apologize." All they wanted for me to do is to leave.

I am a business owner myself. The way they operate this location is embarrassing and something should be done about it. I was not willing to leave, and please believe me I kept my cool and professionalism to the end. No change of tone on my behalf. Believe me, I wanted to scream, but the people working there would ignore that too. The girl that was assisting me was on her phone playing a game and answering to her personal text messages. I requested to speak to a manager. When he came out of his office same ignorant reaction, following with the words "Someone did not return the car that we had reserved for you" Well, "Thanks a lot." Maybe, just maybe someone could have called to let me know.

I was advised to drive to Midway Airport to rent a car and they would reimburse the difference. Just imagine it is already an hour later and I am stuck in traffic going to the airport to rent a car. At the airport, going from one rental company to the other, standing in lines, finding out that they do not accept walk-ins.

Finally at the 6th or 7th rental company after 1.5 additional hours I rent a small SUV. The total price for our rental $1,700.00 compared to the $700.00 that I was supposed to pay at Rent-A-Wreck.

I called before I finalize this transaction just to make sure Rent-A-Wreck would cover the difference. I was assured by the young lady working with me at the Rent-A-Wreck that they would. I took the SUV. Had to call one of my employees to come with another person to pick up my personal vehicle from the airport.

On my way home I stopped by Rent-A-Wreck to give them the bill. With what I went through already there was no trust left. I went in and gave them the paperwork on the SUV car rental. She (the very same person that guaranteed that the Rent-A-Wreck would cover the difference) called the manager. He looked at the $1,000.00 difference and told me that they can only pay $490. I would pay for taxes, everyone has to pay that, and the $1,000.00 difference would have to be covered by me.

I thought that I was going to cry. I told them that I had no choice but to return the car to the airport and end up without a car. I went to the airport and returned the SUV. I was charged a $130.00 fee for renting the SUV and returning it after only an hour. After sitting in the Rent-A-Wreck office I listened to conversations that employees there had with other clients. All were complaining, and all were ignored and treated with no respect. This company should have their license taken away. NEVER AGAIN. At the end I ended up with a 15 passenger van (made reservations for a 7 passenger minivan) there were 6 people traveling with us. The gas expense was out the roof.

I had a appointment and a car on reservation and we were going to the BWI location. We were looking for the Rent-A-Wreck location and it wasn't until we were in with the rest of the rental car location that the lady on the phone with us (Melissa) said "Oh that's right. At BWI it's called Car One." We went over to Car One and we told the lady what we just went through and she said "Oh I'm sorry you went through all that." She has us give her our bank card and insurance papers. She does all the paperwork, checks our insurance and 20 minutes later says "Oh we now have no car for you." I am calling BBB and putting my experience with this place on Facebook, and letting all my employees and their families and mine know how this company is unless something is done about this situation.

I reserved a minivan July 21st, 2015 for August 12th, 2015 - August 17th, 2015. August 11th I received a voicemail stating that they didn't have the van available. The claim was that people were not bringing in the vans so they gave me a number to another rental agency that wanted double the money I would have paid for the van I had reserved. I could not find another van on such short notice within my price range. I ended up driving two cars for family vacation. A total inconvenience not dependable at all. I will NEVER do business with this company again.

I showed up to pick up the vehicle I had reserved and was greeted with "well you're a no show you had to be here an hour ago" followed by "I don't understand why you were able to reserve something we don't even have". What kind of service is this?!?! Then another rude individual came in and started going off on me about their 1 hour grace period that nobody mentioned on the phone nor was it anywhere in writing in my confirmation email. WORST COMPANY EVER!!!

This was the worst experience I've ever had with renting a car. Customer Service was very unprofessional, rude and nasty. They weren't helpful or accommodating with the issue we were having with the car. I asked for a full car in size. I was given a Mazda 6 which was totally unacceptable for any kind of driving. The signal light was crushed. It had a different color front fender on the driver side. It looked like it was in an accident missing hubcaps, dents and scrapes, scratched all up and the inside was filthy, dirty, and nasty and reeked of marijuana. This car should not be on the road at all!!!

Then I was given a Mercedes Benz c480 which was smaller, which was dented, scraped, scratched. Also 2277 miles past its oil change. It was dirty. Car mats were stained up and the doors had dirty oil stains and the CD changer did not work. The chairs were stained and filled with all kinds of crumbs. It had not been cleaned. Rims were dirty and the seats had all kinds of trash under them. No paper work for the car to prove rental, no driver's manual. I fully intend on making a formal complaint against this company.

I'm not sure if this is a franchise or not, but I will take this matter to the proper department to see that something is done! I'm very upset and disgusted on top of that disappointed with it all service and product .Only reason why I took the car is because it was too late to go to another company to rent a car and I didn't want to lose 75.00 for cancellation for nothing .They don't deserve free money. It was pertinent that I get to Florida for my granddaughter's graduation.

I needed to get a car due to an emergency. I booked online and got an confirmation. My car was reserved for 5pm. I get there early at about 4:30 pm. When I got to the rental place, there was a note on the door saying... "Sorry we missed you!" I waited, knocked, called to no avail. It was hot, I had no air and my car would not start. My husband was out of town and I need to pick up my daughter from the train station. This is why I needed to get a rent a car in the first place.

Needless to say, I was livid and scared because I had no way to get my daughter!!! I would never use this business again!! It was the worst experience ever. They should be shut down. I never got a call and when I called, they say or after you book online, "You should call to confirm that we have a car available to you!!!" What!!! This was the general manager that would not pick-up the phone. When I found that out, it made it even worse. A manager would do that??? Never again! ** the manager and the Rent-a-Wreck association both suck!!!

I had already bought an alternator and was quoted 2 hours of labor. Instead he replaces my battery and tells me that my alternator was fine...and hit me with a bill that was 235$. Not fair, I could have changed my battery for way cheaper. But I could not change the alternator because it was on the bottom and back of my engine...and now here we are 1 week later and my alternator is acting up again.

I needed to rent a car for Christmas Day at Newark Airport and upon only finding very expensive car rentals was planning on canceling our reservation for a cabin in the Hudson Valley as the car was going to cost as much as the cabin. That is until we came across Rent-A-Wreck searching for car rentals on Kayak. We booked a car for 200 dollars which was advertised on Kayak and significantly cheaper than the other rental companies.

Two days later I get an email from Rent-A-Wreck saying "We do not have any vehicles available for the time period you are looking for, nothing has been charged to your credit card. Our website was blocked at the time period you made the reservation because we were sold out, there was a glitch that allowed you to make the reservation. We apologize in advance but have no availability for Christmas day as we will also be closed."

So I check Kayak and turns out the 'glitch' is completely made up. I can still book cars on Rent-A-Wreck for the same price and same days. Not only do they advertise cars that are not present they advertise being open on days they are not. Now it is too late to cancel our cabin reservation and we are booking a car for 400 dollars from somewhere else. Rent-A-Wreck needs to stop falsely advertising cars that are not there on days they are not open on Kayak, which is a major hotel/flight/car rental purveyor. It is completely unacceptable they do not provide correct information and booking thru Kayak. This also extends to their website as Kayak forwards you to their website and that is where you complete the booking.

I rented from Rent A Wreck to pick up a car at Newark Airport. I was told I would receive confirmation that day of renting online, however it didn't come until I had just boarded the plane for Newark. I had called them repeatedly the night before as well as that morning but they just said it was coming. I couldn't get it up on my phone, so I called them and they told me to not worry the car would be waiting. I ordered a sub-compact car, as it's easier to park both in New Jersey Tri State area. I arrive Newark, and after waiting about 20 minutes and 3 phone calls, was picked up and brought to the lot that had the car waiting. I was shocked to see it was a yellow sports car, with lights completely fogged over.

I was in a foldable wheel chair, which would not fit in the trunk and took major work to get it in the back seat. I was traveling to New Jersey to see specialists for my foot. I had surgery in May and was still unable to walk. I went back into the office and they said there wasn't a Rent A Wreck representative there and that this car was the only one they owned on the lot. It was actually a parking lot for people who fly out of Newark or workers at Newark Airport that leave their cars there for a fee.

I called the company direct and was told the same thing. It got much worse. By now I had seen a copy of the contract and all of the fees that were not disclosed including driving it to New York. One of my destinations - it's within 10 miles from where I picked up the car. Now having no other choice I had a doctor’s appointment to get to direct from there and was not late because of this experience. I take pictures of the car inside and out, then with no other choice, get in the car and note all of the things wrong with it including the missing air vents, electric switch to move seat was just hanging on a wire, windshield wipers that were all worn out, very hard to see causing a dangerous situation in addition as soon as I stopped at the exit of the parking lot, it appeared the brakes weren't working well if at all.

I called again and they said they didn't have anything except a Mercedes to rent to me but it would cost a lot more. I actually thought to myself, they must be filming this, but it was no joke. I literally crawled to the doctor’s office. Never going over 30 miles even on the Garden State Parkway. It was crazy. The next morning, I ended up doing nothing else but trying to contact anyone that would listen at Rent A Wreck Corporate. My calls and time apparently went on deaf ears, because to this day, I haven't heard back even though I was told they would contact me. I tried get them to allow me to bring it to another Rent A Wreck location so that they could verify the shape of the car, but they said it wasn't possible - they were all franchisees and one couldn't do that.

To this day not sure why, but found rides to most places I needed to go to, and waited for them to contact me - 4 days later no word. Now two months later still no word. This car should not be rented and this company should be out of business. As a side note, the corporate website, states the cars they rent are not wrecks, they are the same cars everyone is driving. The name is just "catchy". When I told this to the location I rented from, they told me that's a lie. What did I think I was renting with a name like "Rent A Wreck" and that they can't control what is stated on the website! WOW, really hoping a lawyer comes up with a lawsuit and quick. I will definitely join forces. I wouldn't rent from them again, and I advise everyone to stay away from the NEWARK, NEW JERSEY location if they value their lives!!!

I called and attempted to rent a car from them but after not even getting halfway through the rental contract, I decided to cancel after I was told about all the fees if I rented with them. Fees which I couldn't find anywhere on their website when I was searching for a car. I told them to just cancel everything and I didn't even complete the contract.

I go to get gas later that evening for my car and was told it was declined... So I go home and I check my bank account and realize every penny in my account was gone! They charged me for every penny I had any way. How they knew the exact amount I had in my account I will never know. I was supposed to attend a very important conference for work the next day and now it looks like I have to miss it since all of my money was taken and I will have to wait several days for my bank to get my money back. I'm so pissed right now that they completely screwed me over! They have no 24-hr customer service even at their airport locations. I called every number on their site and either the numbers were out of service and the rest all closed.

I rented a vehicle from this company in August of 2013 for a personal vacation. During the vacation, the vehicle suddenly would not start. I called the office to report the stalled engine and they said I was too far from their office to send anyone to help me even though I was well within the 100mile radius from the office as defined by the contract. This resulted in my need to get jump starts twice from the roadside, flagging down passenger vehicles to help. I was forced to cut my vacation short as I no longer trusted the car and on my way to drop off the car early, it completely stopped working while driving on the freeway. I was stranded in the 2nd lane of the California 101 interstate freeway with oncoming traffic nearly rear-ending me. I was terrified. Nobody at the office picked up the phone and I was forced to find a towing service of my own.

Upon visiting the office after this ordeal, they were extremely rude to me and refused to refund more than a day's worth of expenses even though the car had been mechanically impaired for days prior. They told me I should have brought the car in when I first needed the jump start, not offering compensation for my lost days on vacation or terrifying experience. I was forced to cut my vacation short and experienced a terrifying evening stranded on the highway. When I went in to speak to them the worker said he couldn't do anything because the manager was not in and that the following morning, the manager would be in. The next morning, the manager was not in again. They spoke over me and did not even allow me a chance to speak. Their customer service is appalling and the vehicles they rent are dangerous.

This company is claiming a bumper was damaged on a car that we rented. The company said I overlook the damage to the bumper when we had to circle all marks on the car prior to renting the car. The car bumper had a tied-down on the body of the car. The car had a lot of chip paint marks. We did not hit or got hit when we had this car. It is a shame. God will win this battle.

Worst car ever. I understood I was renting a "wreck" but this was barely drivable. The transmission slipped. The sideview mirror was not the correct size (it literally looked like a purse mirror that had been glued on) and it did not stay in place rendering it useless. The rearview mirror actually fell off at a point. There were pieces of the car dragging underneath, causing a horrid noise and probably sparks. The trunk nor the glove box opened (luckily, I didn't need registration or insurance). The radio was missing buttons and only got in two stations.

It was so absolutely disgustingly dirty that I felt the need to shower within a blocks drive (I opted for a can of Lysol antibacterial wipes from the nearest convenience store). The a/c didn't work. It was 90 degrees and humid that day. There was 208.000+ miles on the thing. Beyond the car, both at pick up and drop off, the office wasn't open on time forcing me to wait around the back of their shady office (an old converted house). This is the shadiest place ever and hands down the worst. Most disgusting car I've ever sat in.

I wanted a car with air conditioning. I received a car with AC, but the AC was not working at all. I had to cancel my medical appointment in Philadelphia for this morning. The temperatures were to be oppressive in Philadelphia with high temperatures and high humidity. I also, received a car with many dents. The car was a mint green Taurus with 165,000 miles on it and it had orange paint all over the front fender. Most importantly, I don't feel like it was safe to drive because the brakes were not too good. It felt like I had to push the brake down to the floor to work. The interior was the worst! There’s a cigarette butt in the back seat. The car was so dusty like it had not been used in a year. Simply put, the interior was filthy inside. I talked to Joe in Scotch Plains, New Jersey and he said I should return the car when they open and I will get a full refund.

I plan on returning the car when Rent-A-Wreck opens at 8:30 this morning. Plus, I had to wait from 3:20 to 4:30 to get the car! The car was sitting right there in the parking lot the whole time. Why did I have to wait so long? The car was on empty so I had to put gas in the car. They have a $100.00 deposit plus $53.00 in cash from me. I hope that I will be reimbursed like Joe from Scotch Plains, New Jersey mentioned to me. I really needed to go to this appointment in Philly and I am upset that I will not be able to go and I do not think that I will be able to reschedule in the near future. I needed this appointment.

On 06/22/10, I called Rent-A-Wreck. A representative, Jessica, informed me I could rent a Ford Focus at $169 for the week & needed $100.00 for deposit; the remaining balance will be charged once I returned the car. I went to Rent-A-Wreck, another rep., John, stated the Ford Focus isn't working & gave me a Dodge Neon. After getting home, I realized the car was lacking an inspection sticker & had an email attached in the left hand corner windshield explaining the car failed inspection. I called John & said what if I would've been pulled over for a simple spot check that would've been embarrassing. He said, "Don't worry, if you're pulled over, the ticket would've come to us." He gave me a Ford Taurus that I kept until I checked my bank account & noticed $100 was not charged, $373.05 was charged. I was under the assumption that $100 was the only amount to be held.

I immediately returned the car because they weren't telling me everything; instead were more focused on me signing the documents to take the car. I called the manager, Carl, who was absolutely rude. He decides to credit me for only 1 day & supposedly refunding $20 for gas & $19 for getting the Neon cleaned. My bank account was hit with approximately 11 overdraft fees. Moving forward, Carl said he won't reimburse me for the fees; this is pretty much "my fault". John then said I was getting 5-10% discount for my AAA Membership. When I dropped off the Ford Taurus, I asked John if my discount was applied & how much was it for. He stated it was & for 5%. Per AAA, there's no record of this transaction.

I've been back & forth with this facility due to their unprofessionalism, lack of courtesy & respect for me as a customer. I should've been fully compensated for my troubles as an out of state visitor. It's evident that the reps. at Rent-A-Wreck are more focused on a dollar instead of understanding the importance of valuing their customers. I'm outraged as to the neglect & treatment I received. I've been affected majorly financially. No one deserves this kind of abuse, neglect, rejection & deceit. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I have been financially damaged during my stay from Texas to New Jersey.

I rented a car on 1/29/10 for my daughter who was in from California. My account was debited $200 5 minutes after we left. The rental was $29.95 per day. We rented the car for 4 days. My daughter was stuck 3 times in the course of 4 days. Once the car was shut off,the key would not turn to start the car. It was locked. After an hour of jiggling the key, it finally started. My daughter stopped for gas and shut the car off. When she tried to restart it, the battery was dead. There was no cable to open the hood. Again she was stranded for hours until she obtained help from the attendant at the gas station who managed to get the hood open and boost the battery. We returned the car after closing on 2/2/10. The next day, 2/3/10, my account was debited for an additional $126.00.

Worst experience of my life. It's all in the name Rent-A-Wreck. The cars had over 160,000 miles on them; oil light and engine check lights on. Their hours of operations are ridiculous. No one picks up the phone when you call. If they do answer, they will be sure to tell you that they are the manager. The car they gave me had a broken seat. When I exchanged the car, no one was there. I called and no one answered. Mind you, this is 1:45 pm. I called them and had to wait for 45 minutes for them to come back to their place of work.

They finally got me a new car, which turned out to be worse than the first one I rented. When I demanded a new ride, they told me this is all they had. Never rent from Rent-A-Wreck ever! It’s not worth the savings. They kept my deposit for god knows what reason. I'm currently fighting with them to get it back with no luck.

Rent-A-Wreck Company Profile