2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.05/5

Rent-A-Wreck Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rent-A-Wreck?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rent-A-Wreck?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I rented a car in Baltimore, MD on Northern Parkway. I rented a car for an entire 28 days. The first week, it took four tries to get a car with the least amount of stains on the inside seats. I was told that they only vacuum their cars. They don't wash windows, clean stains on seats, wash interior or exterior of the cars. I had to return it because a tire pressure light issue. They swapped the second car with a car with wire sticking out of the driver side front tire.

The third and final car was so filthy, the new name is Rent A Disgusting Wreck. Tenisha, refused to even come outside with a cloth and wipe down the inside. She was more concerned about making quotas and selling customers things they did not need like, medical insurance. I returned the car today and I forgot to take a charger, cord and flashlight from the center console and they refused to return the items. I would never rent from them again.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I reserved a car in Seattle. Chris, the "customer service agent" was the rudest jerk I have ever dealt with in my life as a consumer! The car they gave me had a huge crack in the windshield, it smelled badly, and was filthy inside and out. Even though I had a reservation I had to wait 2 hours before anyone brought back a car for me to drive. As I was driving to my hotel the car died twice, so I brought it back the next day, ruining all of my business plans for that day.

Chris was there and was not apologetic at ALL. It is difficult to get across just how rude he was to me, like renting me this malfunctioning car was my fault. He even yelled at me. He wouldn't give me a different car! Someone brought in a manual transmission car and he grudgingly let me have it after quite some time, only because no one else could drive it. I had just filled the returned car with gas and had to fill this new one with gas-- what a waste of money and time. I have never witnessed such awful customer service in my life! Rent-A-Wreck obviously does not stand behind their cars, and the customer has no rights. I will never rent from this company again.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I rented a car from them that was dented completely around the outside of the car. The inside of the car smelled horrible & the cloth seats were stained, floor needed to be vacuumed. A hour after driving the car it started to have mechanical issues. I called the Glen Burnie, MD office where I picked the car up from. The man that I spoke with started yelling at me about the issue. Which was that the car was overheating, a red light came on & the thermostat kept jumping to hot & back down to cool. Me & this man was on the phone arguing & I threatened to call the BBB.

He then let me speak to the manager who told me the car just needed a coolant. I told him that it was not my responsibility to do any maintenance on their car. He then told me to go to a gas station & wait for 1.5 hours for him to come bring me another car. I told him no I would not do that. We then agreed for him to meet me at my home. The new car that he gave me had the same disgusting look & smell on the inside...

That car also had a coolant issue. I bought a coolant myself because I needed to get back & forth from work. And had no other transportation options. I was scared to turn on the A/C. I sprayed the cloth seats with Febreze & put air fresheners inside of the car. Nothing worked to kill that horrific smell. This place was a cheap option... NEVER AGAIN... I wouldn’t recommend this place to my worst enemy. Oh yea I forgot, I went to their bathroom & there was NO RUNNING WATER in the sink. How do they wash their hands? They just leave out & shake customers' hands knowing they haven’t washed them after wiping their **!

Original review: March 20, 2018

This has been absolutely the worst experience with a business of any kind that I have had. I reserved my car and followed all instructions. Unfortunately my flight was cancelled due to severe weather that was approaching that evening. When I called to cancel my rental I was told that I was going to be charged the full amount anyway! What? They said they would as a “courtesy” let me use it as a credit for a future rental. Problem is, this trip was for a specific purpose and I have no plans to go to Newark. These are deceptive practices. No one should be expected to pay for something that was not provided. All I can say is...Believe all of the negative reviews and stay far, far away from this place. I will be fighting this for sure!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2016

Simple advice.. DO NOT RENT CAR WITH THEM. NEVER EVER. They are playing with ones plans. I rented a car with them and they gave me way, way OLD car and its door was not functioning and I was not able to open door/get into the car itself and it was 11 PM night time. And no one was there to answer my questions. When I call them, they did not receive and finally I had to take Uber and they ruined my whole week plans. I called them 10 times and left VM over Saturday, Sunday, but they did not call me on Monday. I only had to call them that "I did not use your service as car was garbage and door was not functioning," and they were not at all feeling bad about this. They said "but we were able to open the door," then I said "I have a video of the car condition" then they said "we don't care. We were able to open the door."

Then I asked my credit card company to file dispute, and when credit card company call them, that said, they tried to reach me many time but I did not reply him. That was biggest lies. I am not sure what to write for this company. Please see attachment for the CAR they gave me. It might look good in picture but in real it was worst than worst and the door condition. And when we call they are saying nothing is wrong with door.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

I received a phone call from James from the Newark Airport location who was informing me that I needed to sign some forms that were emailed to me regarding liability insurance. I explained that I was driving, but that I had some questions, and asked if he could explain what the insurance would provide? He told me that the forms are "self-explanatory" insisting that he is very busy but told me I was not interested in reading them. I reminded him that it was his job to explain his forms to me because I am unsure what the liability coverage is for. He said that it was "my job to drive one of his cars". Then he corrected himself and said, actually it was a "privilege" to be driving one of his cars. I told him it was a privilege to have a license to drive, but unsure why he was telling me that it was my job or my privilege to drive his Rent-A-Wreck car? His customer service skills were horrendous and he was extremely argumentative!

I was not asking him neurosurgery advice, I was asking him to relay to me what was covered. He must have felt really out of place being asked and was abrasive, arrogant, rude, and condescending. He called me, and he is what I had to deal with for answering the call from Rent-A-Wreck? I told him this was my first experience renting from this company and still could not answer my very "self-explanatory" question. Now, I do not know that I can trust them when I have to pick up my car tomorrow and it is too late to get my money back fully refunded. I will never do business with Rent-A-Wreck again! First and last experience! I normally rent with Hertz and Enterprise for business and I will continue with them from now on.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2016

The "company" is a total scam. The car was delayed for over six hours without notice, charged cancellation fee even though the fault was theirs! Very rude and ignorant people. The office location of the business does not exist. Stay away from these scammers!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

I also would give a zero star rating if possible. We made a reservation for a car in Seattle for the Christmas holiday season. We had to cancel because of complications, so I called Rent-A-Wreck in Seattle where the rude employee told me that they had charged my CC $25 cancellation fee. I told him I had just made the reservation first of all, and secondly, no other car rental company charges for a cancellation if done 24 hours before pick up. And thirdly, there was no reason to be rude, as we have dealt with many other car rental companies in the past (and present) and have always been treated with professionalism. He told me to "go **" myself, and hung up the phone!!! This mistreatment seems to be the norm, rather than the exception for Rent-a-Wreck. I will make it my mission to spread this information to every travel site I can. Their behavior is unacceptable in any situation. Beware!!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

I found this on their website: "We may affectionately refer to our cars as wrecks, but our fleet of clean, well maintained and safety inspected vehicles..." It's a complete lie!! I booked a minivan on 30th Aug. The car was a mess. One of the chairs inside was broken. It was pretty dirty on the inside as well. I had to buy a cleaning agent to clean up the car before I could let my family sit in there. The staff was not helpful at all in changing the car or getting it cleaned. The car was vibrating crazy once I reached the freeway. I will definitely really not recommend it.

Original review: June 30, 2016

MECHANICALLY UNSAFE, which was not apparent until either freeway speeds were reached or it was raining (significant pull to the left, brakes were sketchy when wet, wipers were so BAD I had to find a place to pull off and have them replaced); ILLEGAL TO DRIVE (the windshield was cracked which they assured me was not illegal, but when I checked with a former WA cop was assured I could be stopped and issued a ticket for the offense); The driver's side had a BROKEN WINDOW that got stuck in the down position and once I was able to raise it again I could not use it (making drive through situations interesting); and it was a SMOKE FILLED mess.

I don't care what the car looks like. I accepted the 167K dented mess (considering the name, I knew what I was getting into). But when I asked for another car I was told this was the last one. When I called another franchise after being on the road for thirty minutes and starting to realize the list of issues, I was told they couldn't fix it either. The final straw was when it started to pour on my way back north from Oregon and the brakes got wonky and I had to pull off and replace the wipers. I was on my way back to SeaTac. Was I supposed to pull off the freeway in the pouring rain and hope some person from this franchise was going to drive down and pick me up??? I was just told I should have brought the car back when I discovered the problems. So their argument was I was supposed to test drive the car, in the rain, before accepting it?? The website says the cars will be "safe". That is a total lie.

Not only will I never use this franchise again EVER. But the corporation has lost my business for life. It took over a week for corporate to finally contact me to tell me it was my fault I wasn't getting even a partial refund. The local franchise still hasn't had the guts or decency to respond to me. It's been over three weeks since I returned the car with a two-page letter detailing my concerns. I almost put my kids into this car without knowing what I was stepping into. This must stop before someone is killed.

Rent-A-Wreck Company Information