Qantas

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Bought a return air ticket from Blackall to Brisbane return for $281.70. I changed the date of travel from 21 Nov. to 18 Nov. for the Blackall to Brisbane leg and was charged an additional $364.00. For simply a change of date and no extra mileage this is clearly another example of a monopoly taking advantage of the consumer. In my view Qantas is a disgrace and given a choice would never fly with them again.

I noticed some bad reviews here, so had to post a positive one for balance! We recently flew London to Melbourne return on the QF9/10 flights. As we are getting older we went the extra mile and booked Premium Economy. Even though the cost is expensive, we made the right choice. The extra space for comfort and leg room were a bonus, and the staff were so nice. For us the downside was getting the entertainment touch screen to respond, and the Premium menu not being down to earth enough. Not all people can eat curry or spicy foods (Me!) due to medical problems.

The duty free in flight gifts on offer are too up market, not everyone can pay 300-400 AUS dollars for a watch or jewelry. Thought needs to be taken to include young people, perhaps junior captain badges, stewardess wings, or model A380 with a stand. The small glass used for wine etc should be engraved with the Qantas logo and sold as a pair in the gifts catalogue. We would have bought that! We would have appreciated the chance of souvenirs with the Qantas as logo on, such as a small dish, or condiment set etc. Traditional should not be overlooked!

With a little exploration and patience, the right department for concerns can be found. Overall, our worst points have to be with the airports and not Qantas. Heathrow is the worst of all, making us walk for miles when we got back after a grueling 23 hour flight, with nowhere to sit in the corridors. The older generation need to be remembered please.

On Sept. 6th I traveled from Singapore to Sydney economy class. The level of service was terrible. We were handed a menu that stated "Snack," "Fresh fruit," and finally "Breakfast." What we got was something indescribable in a box for a snack. It looked like a tired hot dog, that came with no napkins and a bar of Kit Kat. Next I was waiting on the fresh fruit that never came. A few hours later I inquired about the fruit and the steward told me, "Oh sure. I'll get you some." Obviously they were too lazy to deliver it to passengers.

When breakfast arrived that left a lot to be desired. There was no tea or coffee served with the breakfast... unbelievable for an airline like Qantas. No wonder you're making mammoth profits cutting down on service like that. I will warn everyone I know not to travel on your airline. Shame as it used to be up there with the best. You should take a long hard look at Emirates for the perfect example of how an airline should treat its passengers.

Shocking. Delayed flights and lost luggage. When I finally got a call from the Qantas guy in NYC that the delivery guy was downstairs I asked if he could bring it since my apartment block doesn't have an elevator and he say no! I had arranged for friends to meet me the day I arrived specifically to help me with the luggage. AND I was in business class. Don't fly Qantas, Asian and Middle Eastern airlines much much better.

Lost baggage on Melbourne to London flight. Fair enough it can happen. But then no communication. 5 days later I can't get through on the phone. They only have an Australian number but I have had to hold for 30 min at a time with no response. Looking in Twitter there are many who have been kept holding for 60-90 minutes before the phone is answered. Their customer service website helpfully sends an auto response saying they do their best to reply within 15 days. There is a presence Twitter but then no ability to do anything other than apologise and provide links to customer complaints forms (that will be answered in 15 days). I can't recall a worse customer experience. I have been flying this route for six years. Never again. I will find another way don't care what it costs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

My wife, daughter and stepmother supposed to fly from Chch to Sydney, and then Sydney to Jhb on the 22nd Dec. When arrived at the airport at Chch, they were stopped and not allow on the airplane due to "not have the right affidavit forms" to go into South Africa. They went out of South Africa with the then presented forms in SA on the 5th December, and only want to return to South Africa. What they did had was a signed consent form from me, my daughter's dad, and a certified unabridged birth certificate. What they did not have, according to the lady (at Qantas check-in), was an official document from SA immigration that also need to be signed and certified by SA police. Due to this they missed their flights all the way to Jhb, and now I was required to change the bookings and pay a hefty fee of ZAR14,500 to get them back to SA.

When we left South Africa, SA authority looked at our documentation (Unabridged certificate + consent of the parent not travelling), there were no problems. They asked if we have return tickets and we could show them - all paid in full. Although South African authority let as through 17 prior coming back, Qantas decided, "No, that is not the case". What would have happened if I had not R12,150 to pay for the additional "changed" air tickets? Would Qantas paid for their stay and immigration fees that they could stay longer? It was sort sighted of Qantas and I'm furious that I need to pay for "continuous improve your experience".

The day my wife have been stopped at the counter they first advised I, her husband sitting in South Africa, can forward what they think the right documents are, to a fax machine. I had it all done within 10 min and for 20 min tried to send the forms to that fax machine and it was the whole time "busy". So they could board the airplane on Qantas "requirements", but because the fax machine was busy, could not get the documents to them. Then they advised after 15 min of struggle to get a fax through, I can use an e-mail address. I've tried the e-mail address, and still it indicated it could not send the documents.

The next day when we made the new bookings, they brought a whole stack of documents that went through after my wife left after they closed the gates the previous day, indicating Qantas system was backlogged and could not immediately received faxes and e-mails. I'm furious that Qantas think that I can afford spend on additional tickets! According the right procedure would have been to allow them through that if there was problems that they would have been blocked in South Africa. Yes I agree for people visiting South Africa while they staying in New Zealand (or Australia for that matter), it is correct to be sure they have the correct documentation. But not for returning South Africa Residents that have already been through SA customs and been allowed through.

This has been logged with Qantas on the 24th December 2015, as well as again on the 11 Jan 2016. I've only received an automated e-mail indicated it will be forward to customer care and will come back to me soon. They did not. I then logged a customer complain on QANTAS Facebook. Once again they indicated they will come back to me. They didn't and that was 3 months ago. Please advise what I should do regarding this event.

I bought a ticket for $160 USD. In two days, I noticed that the date I picked the ticket for was completely different than what I actually selected. The website bugged out, fine. I called Qantas customer service and asked them a simple request, change the date. I found a ticket that was identical, the same location/times/price, the only difference was the date. After a representative agreed to change it, I discovered my credit card charged $210 USD more. I found out that this was because they upcharged me for the ticket (that was the same price when I found it) and also charged me simply for calling in. Their customer service sucks over email and they CHARGE if you call them.

After I emailed them, they refunded me $90. Great! And then charged me ANOTHER $280 without even a confirmation or explanation for what. Seriously? By the way, customer service is INCREDIBLY rude. I got yelled at and interrupted multiple times even though I was talking very calmly and politely, even though I was obviously very frustrated. TLDR: Due to their inability to do their jobs, I was charged 160+210-90+280 = $560 for a ticket that should have cost $160. Do not use this company if you value your money.

Immediately after making my booking I was able to choose my seat, including an exit row without extra charge. So I boarded the plane on the day of the flight and shortly afterward a friendly steward arrived with hot towels. After takeoff I was offered a choice of meals – all available, and a tray of good quality food arrived. I could even use metal knives and forks. After dinner I was offered a cognac – very nice. I used the restrooms and there were a range of scents and creams. The toilets were clean and fresh. During the flight I was regularly offered drinks and snacks by smiling friendly staff. I used the in seat entertainment system which worked fine and provided a great range of up to date entertainment. I had plenty of leg room and a comfortable flight arriving on time at my destination. Great for an economy flight – £100 cheaper than my previous flight to the same destination.

Only problem was this was not with Qantas. It might have been 20 years ago – but is no longer. More and more people I speak to express surprise that it has taken me so long to change airlines. I have been loyal to Qantas for over 40 years. But they no longer provide a sufficient level of service, no longer respond to complaints, even letters written directly to Qantas Customer Relations and no longer provide a reliable service as our 9.5 hour layover in Dubai recently demonstrated. So, bye Qantas. It has been a long and sometimes lovely relationship but time has come for us to go our separate ways. It's not you. It's me. No hang on – that’s not right, IT'S YOU!!! It's over.

We booked our RT fare to Sydney from SFO a couple of weeks ago on Qantas. Last night I got an email from Qantas offering a "surprise sale" that would take about $400 off each ticket. The flight days and numbers would stay the same. The first customer service couldn't find the sale info and said he couldn't help us unless he could see it. We found that info on their website and called back. After much research the customer service said - "you can cancel for $500 and rebook or keep the existing reservation". They don't give price matching on their existing tickets. Doesn't say much about Qantas or the early booking experience with them.

Except for emergencies, I stopped flying with Qantas several years ago. It was after hearing the new manager of the Qantas Frequent Flyer loyalty program giving a sycophantic account of her duties. When describing her work priorities, she said that maximizing profitability was her number one goal. I thought that it was Alan Joyce who took on that role? There was no mention of how loyalty would be created and nurtured, the way it used to be done; no there would be none of that. The new manager of Qantas Frequent Flyer loyalty program wasn't going to let Customer Loyalty get in the way of her doing her bit to increase profits and the illusion of reduced operating costs was achieved by making it impossible for anyone, including hard won loyal customers, to communicate with Qantas Frequent Flyer, or anyone else at Qantas for that matter.

I say it's an illusion because I imagine that a new expense has arisen in Qantas' Marketing, where they are having to replace the large numbers of customers that the Qantas Loyalty department have discarded like trash, every week. Of course, Qantas management wouldn't have a clue because there is no way of contacting them. Even though I use competing airlines for most of my travel, I am still forced to suffer at the inadequate hands of Qantas Frequent Flyer staff. I have spent over seventy thousand dollars this year on flights with Qantas Partner airlines, Malaysian and Emirates. The claims I submitted for Frequent Flyer points were rejected for most of these flights. I called the Qantas Frequent Flyer help desk and a day later, spoke to a person.

The lady I spoke to was rude and suggested I was lying about the flights. I had kept all the boarding passes and tickets and had a copy of the American Express statements showing the ticket payments had been made. I sent the proof to Qantas nine months ago and heard nothing from them. A Google search shows that this is a common complaint about Qantas. Currently, Qantas are flying high on the back of cheap oil prices, but the cost of fuel will eventually rise, and then maybe someone at Qantas will start to wonder where all their frequent flyer customers have gone. Qantas should get rid of their Frequent Flyer department and employ people who focus on creating loyalty, and retaining it.

Our Premium Economy seats on QF127 SYD-HK 5 JAN 2016 were downgraded to Economy without sufficient notice nor our acknowledgement. Compensation details were not provided at that time. Fare difference not refunded. Subsequent (2) customer complaints ignored and still no reply received as at to date (15 Feb 2016).

This was what happened: With just under 24 hours on 4 Jan 2016 10.32am, we received an email of the downgrade with no explanation nor compensation details. The email indicated to call the QANTAS general number for enquiries. We called and was informed the queue would be 1 hour 35 mins. We waited for 15 mins without being directed nor able to speak to any operator. We arrived Sydney Airport 2 hours and 40 mins prior departure time, checked in at the kiosk and waited 10 mins at the Qantas Assistance counter and was only then told the plane was changed and there were no Premium Economy seats, thus all Premium Economy seats have been downgraded to Economy. The customer service staff stated each person will be compensated AUD 200 plus a refund of fares difference between Premium Economy and Economy.

We have subsequently called QANTAS customer service in HK on 6 Jan 2016 to further confirm when the fare difference refund and compensation will be given. However was informed the only refund given is AUD 200 per person. As instructed, we submitted posted a complaint on QANTAS' website 'Customer Care' complaint on the 7-Jan-2016 requesting a fare difference refund. There has been no reply (except for the auto reply emails) nor we have been contacted by Qantas customer service.

We waited until 26 Jan 2016 before submitting a follow-up complaint, again no reply or call has been received. We condemn Qantas to be ashamed for being the biggest airline in Australia, where a simple complaint does not even get attended to. Or is this the usual practice where Qantas just ignore customer complaints totally? It is unimaginable where such customer service will lead Qantas in the future?

Thoroughly disappointed and frustrated that Qantas have not accepted responsibility for their actions. Due to incorrect information given to me by a customer service representative, I have had to re-book an already booked flight, costing me an additional £236! I have written to complain and ask for a refund, but Qantas have replied saying that they're unable to offer me a refund because "voluntary changes to your ticketed routing usually involves fees". Well, this was not a voluntary change!

To explain: I have booked a flight from Hobart to the UK, which goes via Sydney. I asked whether I could cancel the Hobart to Sydney portion of the flight and board the flight in Sydney instead. Qantas said that I could do this. Because they said it was possible I proceeded to book flights from Hobart to Brisbane and then to Sydney. Several hours after this, Qantas emailed to tell me that it wasn't possible to cancel that part of the flight. They have now explained that if I didnt board in Hobart, I would be considered a no-show and that this was standard policy. If this is standard policy, why didn't the person I spoke to initially tell me?

I have now been charged £236 to board the flight in Sydney and I believe that out of decency and fairness Qantas should refund me this amount. It is thoroughly frustrating to be penalised for something that is not my fault and I would like Qantas to acknowledge this. However, after several phone calls and emails, they are refusing to do so and when asked if they could upgrade me as a gesture of goodwill, they've said they're unable to. Instead, they've wished me an enjoyable trip to Australia! Clearly this is a company that feels no need whatsoever to offer any customer service and I have become one of many who have filed complaints against this airline.

My flight from Melbourne to DC was cancelled after a 7 hour delay. As a result I was not going to make my flight from DC to Mexico City (on American). I requested a change of destination, but was booked to DC anyway. When I arrived in LA I asked for help changing my flight to Mexico rather than DC as I would miss my flight from DC to Mexico anyway. I was told I would have to call a ticketing agent as they couldn't help me at the desk. I was on hold for 35 minutes before anyone picked up. When they did we spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to make this change happen. I was put on hold several times as the agent tried to change my flight and then I got disconnected.

I called back and was on hold another 25 minutes before the agent told me they couldn't change my flight because the reservation system wouldn't let him. He said I would need to purchase a ticket to Mexico and follow up with Customer Care for a refund. There were no Qantas flights to Mexico City so I had to purchase a $262 ticket on AeroMexico instead.

I emailed Qantas Customer Care on September 21 and received an automated response informing me that they "aim to respond within 15 business days". After 17 business days of with response I emailed again. 2 more business days and no response. When I tweeted to @Qantas I was asked to private message them with details. I did. They said they would forward to Customer Care and get back to me soon. 2 more days with no response. When I tweeted again I received the same message and a promise that they would follow up soon. 2 more days...same thing...no response.

After 2 more business days Customer Care finally responded. That is 5 weeks (25 business days). They did not apologize for or acknowledge the delay in response. They informed me that even though they canceled the flight that caused me to miss my flight from DC to Mexico and purchase another flight with my own money, they would not reimburse me since my DC-Mexico flight was on a different airline (American which is owned by One World Alliance just like Qantas). They also informed me that I should have bought flight insurance to cover such a problem. Really? I should spend extra money to buy insurance from Qantas to cover me when Qantas makes a mistake? Thanks for that tip. I am shocked by how long it took to even get a response and then amazed that Qantas will not take responsibility for the mistake and the money it cost me as a result.

My family and I are flying home within Australia tomorrow. Online check-in is available 24 hours per flight. But not to us - won't allow us to do mobile or online check-in! My kids are young so I wanted to make sure we have good seats, together. I ring customer service in Oz to ask them to help check us in given online and mobile check-in not working... Woman won't even take our reservation number to help out (bear in mind I've by this time spent 10+ mins online, 5+ mins on mobile check-in then 10+ mins on hold). Tells me I have to go to airport to check in for flight tomorrow... Hot and windy in far north QLD, so I'm not keen but need to get seats together so off we go.

Half hour drive each way for airport. Staff who do finally help out, but with no apology nor acknowledgement nor attempt to work out what is wrong with their system... When they then told me I couldn't register for a vegan meal I made the point that they had caused us significant inconvenience on last day of our holiday and needed to seriously do better. Not paying their exorbitant fares in future given even the basic cut-price airlines provide better service. So disappointed!

The departure for my flight from Brisbane was delayed by an hour and a half due to "technical malfunction", the flight arrived an hour late, then the baggage took an hour and a half to come out in LA because the bay doors couldn't be opened. The sole Qantas attendant couldn't tell me when we'd be getting our baggage. An LAX rep informed me that the Qantas fleet is very old, and that this happens all the time. Qantas.

Qantas airport staff in the Melbourne Airport poisoned my day when I am on the way back to Hobart. Here is the full story: I traveled from Zurich to Hobart (stopover in Dubai and Melbourne) with Qantas Airway. The trip Zurich-Dubai-Melbourne was on a shared code flight operated by Emirates. I had 3 checked baggage pieces from the Zurich Airport and I needed to take the baggage out for customs, then drop back for the trip from Melbourne to Hobart with Qantas Airway (QF1501 depart from Melbourne at 7:45 am Monday 14 September 2015). And the problem came up at this stage.

I placed one of the checked baggage (with the bag tag Zurich-Dubai-Melbourne + Q-tag) on the Bag Drop counter but the machine could not recognize that bag tag. I asked a female Qantas staff about the error and she explained to me as follow: Those bag tags were to Melbourne only and needed to be removed since I were travelling domestic then. The 2 baggage with Q-tags could be sent through the Bag Drop counter without paper tags. The third one did not have a Q-tag must have a paper bag-tag and she asked me to get a paper bag tag at the kiosk check-in. She also removed all of the old paper bag tags (Zurich Dubai Melbourne) attached on the 3 baggage.

I followed her instruction trying to get a paper bag tag at one kiosk but I got an error message that could not identify me. I asked another female Qantas staff around there and she guided me to do it at a counter with their staff. A MALE Qantas counter staff served me and in a very rude way, he told me that I checked in already, had two checked bags already, then I needed to pay for the third checked-in bag. I did tell him that I was on an international flight where I had three checked bags but placed only two of those in the Bag Drop counter since I had only two Q-tags. He insisted that I had to pay for the third bag since the bag tag was removed from my third bag although I showed him the three small bag tags stuck on my boarding pass.

Then when I told him that the international bag tag was removed following a Qantas staff instruction, he told me that he did not have time to talk with me, he had lots of customers waiting there and he asked me to find that Qantas staff to ask her to check in for me. I told him that I did not remember who instructed me since I did not check her name as usual and it is a courtesy to follow the airline staff instruction. Then he did tell me in an offensive way that pay for the third checked bag or he would not check it in. And again he asked me to leave his counter so that he could serve other customers. I don’t need to say how I felt at that time since it is UNACCEPTABLE way to treat a customer and it was unbelievable to experience it from a so-called big airline like Qantas.

I left his counter very disappointingly, and worried about what and how I had to do next for the last part of my flight back to Hobart. I later found one of the two earlier Qantas staff around the Bag Drop/Check-in Kiosk and she took me to another counter (with Suzanne) and explained to the female staff there about my situation. She told me that I was asked to pay for the third check bag because I had over weighted luggage in total, not because of the third bag. I replied her that I had 42 kg checked bag allowance since I was a silver member. No one said anything more at that time and I finally got to the plane back home.

No apology from any Qantas staff at all after all of the offensive treatment I had to stand. I should mention here that my checked bags weight was under my allowance; my domestic trip was a part of my international flight (on the same booking/ticket) and I followed all of the Qantas staff instruction. And then they treated me in a way they just tried to push all of mistakes/errors to me. Refusing to serve a customer in the offensive way the MALE staff did to me was UNACCEPTABLE and UNBELIEVABLE. I do need an explanation from Qantas in this case:

1) Do you accept your staff to treat your customers in the way I had? If not, how do you deal with it when it happened? It must be a way such that it does not happen in the future because I am no longer able to stand with it.

2) Do your customers need to record every Qantas staff name to whom the customers talk or seek for advices/help with? Such that later the customers must show that/those Qantas staff name(s) to other Qantas staff as a proof of evidence of their reliability? Or such that the customers must find that/those Qantas staff again if the customers would be refused to check in by other Qantas staff?

3) Finally, what is the correct process for a domestic flight connected with an international flight with Qantas? I must say that I have travelled international flights connected with a domestic flight many time for years and this was the first time I was confused due to different versions of the Qantas staff instructions. While I thought that your instruction here in the webpage: ** was clear enough, it seemed like not all Qantas staff knew this rule and that resulted in offending their customers like me (In any case, I must still say that it was UNACCEPTABLE and very UNPROFESSIONAL).

I do think that the airline must have your staff trained well to know the rules and to know how to treat their customers professionally. Also there should be a clearer instruction on your website that whether removing checked bag tags for international flights (connected with a domestic flight) in my case would result in being refusing to get the International checked baggage allowance for the domestic flight? Please keep in mind that the checked bag tags were to Melbourne, not Hobart in my case.

Regarding the identity of the MALE staff who I, unfortunately, was served: I did not check his name but absolutely not hard for Qantas Airway to identify him. The case happened between 6 am - 6:40 am. It was a MALE staff while most of staff working at counters at that time were female. The guy served at the counter SERVICE 2. On his right hand side, there was a counter showing "this counter was closed". I did not see that male staff at that counter after I completed my checking process but I saw another female staff named Siobhan or Siohban who replaced him at that counter. Again I do need explanation from Qantas for my case and I expect to see the improvement in the way the airline trains/hires your staff that would reflect by how the staff treats the customers. Otherwise, what is the point of flying with Qantas, to be offended?

My boss booked business flights to Australia; he used the name I go by and not the name that will show on my passport. I am flying over with Air New Zealand and back with Qantas, so I phone Air New Zealand first to get the name changed over. They did this without a fee and were very professional and got this sorted in 10 minutes. I explained that Air New Zealand didn't charge me, they could see it was a genuine mistake. But Qantas refused to waiver the fee and demanded that I pay a $50.00 change fee. They also kept me waiting for over 50 minutes. I will make sure my company doesn't fly Qantas ever again. For a $50 change fee, Qantas have just lost around $6,000 a year in flight sales.

I have often avoided booking with Qantas hotels due to their hotel rooms are regularly 20 to 35% dearer than many other website as and you DO NOT get anything extra or different. Then they have their price promise advertised where it says if you can locate the same room same type, same inclusions, same dates on an Australian website they will match it and give you 1000 points for a successful claim. This is rubbish and the way you are treated is disgraceful.

I located the same room type dates etc and called Qantas 4 times and checked with their staff, two of them didn't even know they did a price promise (how absurd staff don't even know their own products), then two I did speak to on separate occasions checked the websites and told me I was eligible and so I booked the hotel in a 5 star hotel and then submitted a claim through Qantas. Well the rude incompetent argumentative reply I got was nothing short of disgraceful.

I was denied the price promise saying the wording is not exactly the same. I then took the time to say every website has slightly different wording or this price promise would be nothing more than a false advertising. I also took screen shots of 3 different sites offering the same room, same bedding, same room name and inclusions and sent the photos back and I also contacted the 5 star hotel who told me yes that the rooms on each site were identical with the same inclusions.

Naturally I included this in my reply and again I was denied the claim. I asked for it to be sent through to a supervisor as it was clear that the staff member handling my complaint was wrong and that I wanted it reviewed. I was then sent aback another insulting email saying I was wrong and that they have included a screen shot to show me I was wrong. Well you wouldn't believe it, the screenshot they included wasn't for the same room or anything like the room I had booked and it wasn't the same room type, name or anything similar. They picked the most expensive room and said yours is different.

The female staff member argued and carried on with disgraceful belligerence and failed to pass it onto her supervisor and just wanted to argue even though it was clear she was looking at a totally different room type and which was nothing to do with my booking. All this drama and no customer courtesy or flexibility at all, so I cancelled the room with Qantas and booked it with a competitors website and saved 34% for the room cost which I paid for on Qantas. Then they told me it would take 10 days to refund my money.

Seriously Qantas staff are poorly trained and very rude and incompetent and have no customer service skills, and their hotel site is grossly overpriced and their price promise policy they don't honor and for all the hassle you pay 20 to 35% more than the competitors sites. Avoid using their hotel site for bookings as it's nothing more than an overinflated pricing rip off and the staff are rude and just want to argue with you. No wonder Qantas is running at such huge losses. Qantas your staff have a lot to learn with customer service and its appalling the away I was treated and I will never use their site for hotel bookings again, as I get much cheaper prices with much friendlier support from competitors sites.

On Monday, 20th July 2015, flew Sydney to Santiago, Chile which was originally to be a LAN flight but was changed to Qantas in a B747-400, one of the oldest planes in the fleet. Seating was near the mid-gally and consequently little sleep was achievable. During the flight a snack was served which consisted of a hot dog in a box which was an absolute insult, and then to top it off, breakfast of scrambled eggs was not fit to feed the chooks at home. On the return flight from Sydney to Adelaide, a snack was provided which consisted of an egg and mayo sandwich (stale) in a brown paper bag. Qantas could learn a lesson from LAN Airways who presented their snacks and meals on a plate every time during our 16 flights with them over 5 weeks. We travelled economy class which known as "cattle class" and Qantas treats these people as just that, although this is where their income is from. NEVER AGAIN, if I can help it, will I fly Qantas.

Tried to call Qantas today - on hold for 30 min and battery died on my home phone before I was connected. Tried again on my mobile, after about 30 minutes I received an answer. The lady agreed it was over 30 minutes wait but did not offer any explanation. Not rude but offhand and not caring. It's my impression that their drive to force people on line involves deliberate short staffing of phones but it will backfire on them. After many years of flying Qantas I will move on to an airline which wants my business.

Our flight was scheduled for 2nd April at 9:10 am and we reached the airport by 7:00 am. After running around for a while we queued up for boarding in Emirates after 40 mins of wait finally we were able to reach the counter and there we have been told that we are no longer flying with Emirates instead we are flying with Qantas and even the girl who was serving us does not know where is the Qantas counter. So after asking couple of staff finally directed us to Qantas.

Queue again and after boarding before leaving the counter we have been told flight was late an hour. I was traveling with two young children and we were expecting to have refreshments in plane but then flight was delayed further but there was no information to passenger awaiting in the lounge that how long was the delay for and what is the reason for delay. Sadly no refreshments were offered during that two hours and then we were told to proceed to the aircraft. We were embark in the plane and have been told the flight is slightly delay as there are few planes ahead to take off due to the delay of weather. Then after isolation in plane for further half an hour an announcement was made that as there are 38 planes ahead to take off so it might take couple of hours for our turn.

I and my husband both are claustrophobic and I suffer from neck arthritis and under the medical treatment my husband has been treated for back and 7:30 minutes were already a lot of journey time and then another 3 to 4 hours extra in plane would have deteriorated my pain. So I requested the flight manager to disembark us which he agreed and took my luggage tags to offload but after a while he came back and said "during the process of disembark we will miss our turn so we can offer you and little daughter an upgrade." I refuse leaving my husband and other young daughter behind but my husband forced me to go as he knew if I would stay for a while I would have collapsed as it was so warm - no air condition, oxygen level was so low, hardly could breathe and to be honest I did not want to create a scene in front of other passengers.

I went up for a while but was feeling guilty leaving behind my husband who suffers from the same problem and also leaving my other young daughter behind so as soon as plane took off I came back. There was no refreshments or snacks offered to passengers during all that time of 3 to 4 hours. My young children were so hungry but there was nothing available to offer. No air condition - it was so warm and we have been forced to stay in plane for 3 to 4 hours when we asked to disembark and the reason I did not argue much is I did not want to create a scene in front of other passengers. There was no entertainment like in an Emirates - they have lots of options for Asian list of Bollywood movies so it has been a disaster. Service was crap. You ring the bell and forget no one turns up.

I requested milk for my little daughter, literally they have served half a cup not more than three ounces - such a shame. And worst of all when we traveled to Dubai we have received my daughter's stroller in plastic packing at Dubai airport where I found my stroller damaged on the floor under a heavy wheelchair and it's of no use - the frame is damaged. After reaching home it's been two days me and my husband could not move as my arthritis is deteriorated and my husband's back is deteriorated. Very unpleasant to travel with Qantas. I'm looking to have a fair conclusion from our suffering from you and as a compensation I'm looking forward to refund my 4 tickets and pay for damaging my child's stroller with a negligence of baggage handling.

I currently have flights booked for travel, and have tried calling the customer service line for two weeks straight. I have actually been on hold for a minimum of over 1 hour each time (I put the phone on speaker and go about other business). I made efforts to call morning, afternoon and evening with the same results. Currently I am on hold and it has been 45 min. Therefore, the reason why I am making the comment regarding Qantas. Our travel plans are costing us over 10,000.00 for this flight to our destination. Honestly, no matter how much is being spent I believe this wait time is ridiculous treatment, and not deserved by a customer.

We booked with Qantas in good faith, PAID in full for the flight, are abiding by all the extra charges (such as paying for the seat on the plane - odd I thought that was part of the ticket price, but NO), cancellation policies and all other demands placed upon us when we decided to book through Qantas. As a customer I now cannot even get through to a Qantas agent. I do not understand this type of business practice. At this point I can only hope this will not be a reflection of our treatment at the airport, and on the flight. Currently if asked I would have to say I am very dissatisfied with Qantas and would recommend booking through another airline.

We booked a ticket from Jakarta to Sydney via Singapore on Qantas.com. Scheduled to arrive Singapore 7:20pm and 8:20pm flight to Sydney from Jakarta. This was the option offered by Qantas.com. We arrived 7:35pm and had to switch terminals. Gate was closed when we tried to check in. There was no offer on Qantas to rectify the above issue. There were other passengers who had the same issue. Our whole holiday was ruined when we were cancel our following flights and hotel stays (without refund of course).

We voiced our complaint via their website on the 10th July; also called them overseas and locally over 5x (in Indonesia) and was told we have to call Australia straight or wait. 26 days later we receive an email asking us to wait further. To aggravate matters, during one of the call the customer service rep insinuated it was our fault for choosing such a short transit time and no refunds will be made. We are victims of horribly poor service. Note that all problems can only be directed at their website or directly to Australia Customer Service. We are looking to see legal advice on the above matter.

On a flight from Perth to LAX in May, Qantas lost one of my bags. After weeks and weeks of excuses and unanswered replies, they finally determined they were not able to locate my bag. As required, I completed all the necessary forms to settle the claim. That occurred at the end of June. As of today, Qantas has yet to refund my money and - just as the original lost baggage issue - continues to either make excuses or not reply to my requests. I am on the 10th request for status on my payment and they have failed to reply.

My husband, daughter and I have travelled overseas using business class with Emirates, Etihad and QANTAS over the last few years. We have been more than happy booking with QANTAS and using their code-sharing partners, such as Emirates and Vietnam Airlines. We have been more than satisfied with the service and standards onboard. However, we recently booked a business class trip to Fiji under the QANTAS banner expecting the same standard. This was not the case.

The seating was substandard in terms of comfort (e.g. unable to adjust the seating manually), lack of space to place items, and unable to sleep or rest comfortably in our seats, the entertainment (consisted of a handheld device with limited options such as 5 movies), standard of meals and snacks (e.g. was a scotch finger biscuit in plastic) and even our baggage was not given priority in accessing when arrived home in Brisbane. These aspects are expectations in business class and the standard was not met! Please note that these criticisms are not directed at the staff on the airline who were unfailing kind.

When travelling business class to Europe we have experienced the A380 in one of the legs of our journey. Whilst I appreciate that this standard is not available on all aircrafts, I can't help but note I am still paying the same premium in terms of costing for my flights. To clarify, when my daughter and I flew to Thailand earlier this year via business class with QANTAS the standard was satisfactory, the 8-hour return flight costing approximately $6508 (2 passengers). The flight to Fiji was approximately 4 hours costing $3400 (2 passengers) so essentially the costing was the same, but the standard was woefully inadequate reflecting poorly on the QANTAS mission of having a customer focus with high levels of customer satisfaction. My husband and I are very disappointed with the standard of the business class facilities on this trip.

I have contacted customer care on three different occasions (speaking to Jordan and Deb) who offered in total 15000 frequent flyer points as a gesture!!! I stated that this was totally inadequate but the Customer Care Executive has now stated that the case, as far as QANTAS is concerned, is closed!! Is this the service QANTAS offers to its business class clientele??

I booked a flight from Hobart Tasmania to LA back in April. This flight travels domestic to Melbourne and then check in for the international flight to LA in Melbourne. Due to unforeseen circumstances I am stuck in Melbourne on the day I am supposed to be flying to Melbourne from Hobart then onto LA. I call Qantas to try ask if I can join my flight in Melbourne and just cancel the first short flight from Hobart to Melbourne. I am advised that the cancellation fee is $1186 dollars (the original entire ticket Hobart - MELB- LA return was $1524). I think this fee is totally unreasonable, as me cancelling the first flight is providing Qantas with an extra seat on the original flight HBA-MELB flight with no change at all in the international component.

I am a very frequent flyer internationally and domestically so I know what I am talking about despite being told differently by Qantas staff behind the desk at most major city airports. I don't think they make 4 international and 4 domestic flights per 6 weeks. Each time I fly Qantas I receive the worst service by staff and their almost each and every time have the same rude, ignorant, uncaring response.

My wife came from overseas and we took a domestic flight. Qantas LOST her baggage, not a good thing for a female who has just finished a 17hour flight wanting to freshen up. This was her first ever flight and speaks limited English. I explained this to airport Qantas staff who gave lies as responses and a very uncaring attitude. This was 3 years ago. Every time I have made a wrong decision and flown Qantas since I hear and feel and receive bad service.

Each time I lodge legitimate complaints but get no feedback and not even a sorry from staff. I won't go through each complaint as 90% of my Qantas flights have been bad service. I don't ask for much, only value for money with deserved service. Right now I am at the airport. My flight is at 17:25 today. After packing this morning at 8am I realized I need an extra check in bag. I then went online to purchase that, only to find am not allowed as it must be bought at airport when checking in. To purchase at airport is more expensive online. I ask the Qantas sales staff why I am not able to online and she says she doesn't know in a uncaring and lazy response.

I ask her to please find out but she even just replies with same lazy response " I don't know ." I asked her how long she had been working here, she told me 6 years. I think working for 1 month in sales desk where I must purchase my extra baggage, she should know. I then found out it needs to be bought online 24 hours prior but thinking logically and not in a way of how to make another dollar from customers, what is the difference 24 hours prior or 2 hours prior at airport? I know the obvious reason. Most people pack morning of flight making it a sure money maker for Qantas.

I fly Thai Airways, JAL, Singapore airlines, Virgin on an average of 65 flights per year. Qantas by far is out to rip off customers the most by far, with the most arrogant rude and uncaring staff by far... All this while they still have expensive prices for flights. Don't tell me I should choose another airline, I almost always do. But sometimes I am still a customer therefore service should be on par. Customer service from Qantas is a joke, no complaints are followed up on so don't tell me they are. I have taken the time out to make at least 6-10 complaints and had no feedback or response.

PS: 3 weeks ago I flew Virgin, my luggage was sent to the wrong destination. Staff were truly apologetic. I asked to speak to supervisor at airport and she promptly came unlike Qantas where I only received lies. Supervisor organized a taxi to my hotel and because my luggage would arrive later that evening at my hotel, but not in time for me to make my meeting, they went above and beyond and decided not to wait the 36 hours but instead straight away produced vouchers for me to buy essentials. Qantas and 90% of its staff are arrogant and rude.

Thanks to Qantas my mother's travel was ruined tonight. My mother was travelling from Melbourne to Brazil, she is allowed 2 bags with a total weight of 32 kilos per bag (excluding hand luggage). We get to the Qantas desk and we weigh the bags, the customer service rep informed us that her bags were over 32 kg, they were over by 300 grams (again, she was allowed 2 bags each at 32 kg) so I asked if we could pay for going over. She responded with "YES, each bag that weighs over 32 kgs has a $75 charge." We said no problem and went to wrap the bags and get her on her flight. Once we come back another woman was assisting us, we place the first bag on the scale and the Qantas rep rudely states "Take the bag off, it is over 32 kg, we won't take it off the ground. We don't fly bags that are over 32 kg, 23 kg up to 30-32 is our Max NOTHING OVER!!!" She kept repeating and repeating those words.

I understood, I was calm and I said that we had spoken to another lady who explained the $75 payment for each bag weighting over 32 kg (her bags 32.400 kg, she was over 400 grams including the wrapping). After coping a rude remark from this woman, who did not understand that she was entitled to take 32 kg from the start, and pay the extra, she told us we had no choice but to take out 400 grams. She also made it VERY CLEAR we ONLY had 5 minutes to finalise or the plane would leave. Under a stressful time frame my mother was crying and sad that her 3 month stay was now remembered by a rude ending. I would of appreciated more compassion, but wait, why would I?? Qantas is not a Aussie favourite anymore. We rushed to unwrap the bags and take items out, meanwhile I went back over and tried to explain how we were told 2 different things and wanted to resolve the situation as we were getting frustrated that they couldn't communicate their stories correctly and understand ours.

I spoke to one woman who brushed me off, then went over to second woman who obviously had a ** day, she told me these were the rules so I told her off for being rude to me and the Customer Service was APPALLING!!! The final Qantas rep was more understanding, but she still stuck to the 23-32 kilo bag rule but she was more helpful. I said again, "My mother is traveling to Brazil. She is allowed 32 kg per bag, why can't you understand?" They kept saying 23 kilo up to 32 was their max, but her BOOKING DOCUMENTS clearly states 32 kg and we could pay for the excess as told by the Qantas rep. FINALLY a Qantas rep in the background overheard and she "She is going to Brazil. They are allowed 32 kg, Brazil is different." So why would we go to the trouble and have an extra 400 grams and willingly to pay if we couldn't do that from the start?

My mother left in a wheelchair, she was distressed, she was sadden, as a customer service rep myself I can't believe the reaction, responses and customer service we received today. How many complaints does one need?? The one person that had compassion was the woman who wheeled our mother in to her flight, she saw how distressed she was, and how sad we were. To you I say thank you. I hope this email reaches who it should, to change the way customers are treated, and reeducate the Qantas staff on international flights and their rights whilst travelling.

I have recently started having issues with Qantas and feel I have been defrauded in regard to the Qantas Club membership I purchased in 1999. Up until a few weeks ago I have never had an Issue with Qantas, I have noticed little changes with my membership and thought it was just a random mistake, but after these issues commenced after just 1 rude customer 'service' person at Perth Qantas club told me" I was lucky to have a LIFE Membership". The problems just started to cascade into today's issue. Even one of the staff that rang to try and smooth this over told me "I was lucky to have a LIFE Membership". Not only are the club staff out of touch with customer service, the team to keep people happy are also out of touch.

The problems began at Perth Qantas Club, and then went onto an Aircraft. When I was put into a middle row with a passenger who would have been in excess of 130 to 140kgs, I couldn't embarrass the person by requesting to be moved or taken off the plane, so there I sat for 3.5 hrs leaning into the Aisle, getting hit by trolleys and hurting my back from the angle I was forced to sit at. All because they don't check people and seating before putting people in that position. After this I made a complaint about the service, and finally I heard from someone who said they were asked to contact me by Alan Joyce, maybe you can check if that's actually true or just from a script.

During the apology and the promise it would happen again, I asked why I no longer get my seat of preference, and also why my Priority baggage and why I no longer get 2 bags to take with me like I am supposed to get but no longer occurs, I was told I would now need "Gold" membership to get the same benefit that I purchased with my LIFE Membership. How can someone STEAL the membership benefit you PURCHASED, now I get told its subject to change, the cost of purchase wasn't subject to change, Boeing don't turn around and say our planes now fly on 2 engines, give 2 back... Or olden telling me they changed motors in cars now, so return your old 1.

I want Qantas to give me back, exactly what I purchased, no more, no less, it was for LIFE. Can you please assist me in finding out, firstly was the call really through Alan Joyce, or just someone in Customer Service saying that, and how can they simply sell a product and then remove every benefit that you purchased. This has been one hell of a PR stuff up, I started upset about 1 person's bad attitude to customers, and now it's turned into a nightmare.

June 23, 2014...My college daughter was returning from a semester in Australia. AFTER they scanned her little carry-on, a security female made her, forced her to go back, check the bag with all her stuff and no lock. When she got to LA, the bag was ripped open, ruined, and all contents except tampons, and one other thing were either strewn about the conveyor belt or all gone; jewelry, shoes, everything. She was a wreck. She filed a claim right there.

On the next flight to Boston they said she never should have been made to check that tiny carry-on bag. She had to bring home the ruined bag. She was entitled to a carry-on. I have pictures, and emails back and forth, but few and far between. At first I heard nothing then I had my lawyer send them a letter. They responded once. The claim was $2000. They offered $500. I said, "Please make a more appropriate offer," and then no more communication by any means -- phone, fax, email. It's outrageous.

My lawyer is in MA and not her expertise so she bowed out. Most other airlines either replace the bag right there and are customer-friendly; not these folks. I don't know where to turn. There is no phone call and no human to deal with. That was June. I have the whole case. I would settle for $1000. If I have to hire a lawyer I will have to go to California and ask for double including my airfare and fees. I am a single parent and this has stressed us out so much. The claim agent was Denae **. Maybe I do need a CA lawyer?

Expert Review

Erika ArmstrongAirlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.    More about Erika→

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.
  • Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.
  • Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.
  • Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.
  • Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.
  • Best for Qantas is best for vacationers and business travelers going to or around Australia.

Compare Airlines