1.24/5
Based on 106 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

121 Qantas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 23, 2018

I have traveled many times to the UK & this is the first time I felt a need to complain! I have sent 4 emails, with no reply up to press. I traveled on the Qantas Dreamliner to Heathrow on 15/5/18, traveling back on 6/6/18. The spiel was the seats were roomier & we could go to the galley to get refreshments any time. This is one of the reasons I wanted to travel on the new Dreamliner. The evening meal provided hours later, with one cup of tea. I asked several times when the tea would be coming, to be told it was coming. I don't drink soft drinks. After a few hours I got up to get myself a cup of tea to be ushered back out of the galley & told it's coming now. The tea was in a paper cup, which I hate, the milk poured from a milk bottle.

The chicken was dry, served up in a plastic container, no sides on the tray, bread roll, butter, nothing. Same with the dessert. In 17 hours I was given 2 cups of tea & two meals. I must have fallen asleep for a few minutes when the bacon baguette was served. I was so hungry & dry. I didn't like to request anything as one hard stare while asking for a cup of tea was enough. A male flight attendant dropped several meals on the floor, sliding off the trolley. He couldn't reach them so another passenger & I scooped them up for him. I'm sure my seat companion got one of those meals. He'd already dropped a bag of bread rolls & another attendant had to get some more. I think the staff was really inefficient.

I can't remember seeing anyone giving us the flight safety instructions on the way there & the captain hardly spoke. Even on the way back, to tell us not to worry when the plane dropped several feet. However, we did get safety instructions on the way back. I tried to change my booking coming back to Aus, as I wanted to avoid the Dreamliner. I got exactly the same, the Dreamliner a week later, to pay 220 pounds for the privilege. I kept my booking, as being a pensioner, that's money I didn't have. Coming back, slightly better service, exactly the same menu but this time they ran out of the chicken. I don't eat red meat or pasta. The attendant said they didn't have any more to offer me, but a stale roll with vegetables on it. Again, only 2 cups of tea in the 15 hour flight.

I'd advise Qantas to provide more chicken meals per flight, as it seemed to be the most popular. The ice cream we were given, was well received as I was so hungry again. I have traveled many airlines, to be given tasty meals & cups of tea or coffee every time the trolley came 'round. Presentation of the meals with several sides was 100% better than presentation of Qantas meals. I'm surprised Emirates is linked to Qantas, as I always say their meals are the best I've experienced. I traveled on Qantas many years ago & always said I wouldn't again, but I thought Qantas would have lifted their game with the new Dreamliner. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I hope I get an acknowledgment of this review this time...

Original review: July 11, 2018

I was pleased when our travel agent had booked our flights to Canada with Qantas. Being Australian I thought it would a pleasant trip but no it wasn’t going and traveling back. One of the female hostess was very forceful in getting me to recline my seat because I had asked the person in front to please put her seat up a tiny bit as it was in my face and I might say that my seat wasn’t upright. The passenger in turn complained to the hostess and then I was in trouble. I felt I was back in school being told very sternly to recline my seat, you could almost have a domino effect. The reason it time for sleeping!! Being as it was only 11 am Aussie time I wasn’t ready for sleep.

My husband and I were on the end each time of the food chain and therefore missed out on a choice each time. I must admit the head host was not happy seeing as he said we would be served first next time which didn’t happen. I must say we were given a bottle of bubbly and they did apologise. The staff never look happy and most of the women look like retirement age and were just going through the motions. In saying all this we paid for specific seats and we didn’t get them which was a waste of $140 for 4 of us. I won’t fly Qantas again in a hurry that’s for sure and I flown international regularly and this is my first complaint.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2018

After 2 months of back and forth with Hooroo and customer care, I wrote my full story to customer care hoping they may be able to help. All I ever got back from anyone was a generic email. Finally after 2 1/2 months I got a half-hearted, "Sorry, but we can’t help you. You have to go through Hooroo." We finally got our $128 back for phone calls made to sort everything out. We are absolutely disgusted with the pathetic service Qantas has given. Nobody we spoke to (bar Kelly) helped us at all. The more they ignore, the more I am determined to get my story out there. This is not acceptable and you need to stand up and fix your company. Here is the letter I sent to customer care and I’ll put the reply (which took about 2 weeks) under that. I’m sure if I was the CEO of a major company I wouldn’t be writing this. Remember this has been going on for nearly 3 months.

"Thanks for passing that on. I am just looking at who this is addressed too. “Qantas CUSTOMER CARE”. I’m not sure how much you care. Let me tell you the story, I’m not sure if Hooroo is run by Qantas, nobody will answer that question. So I’m not sure how committed you really are. We recently decided to take a once in a lifetime family holiday to the US of A.Our kids aren’t getting any younger and we wanted to share this experience with them. We were talked into going with Qantas, so we bit the bullet and booked with our agent. We’ve never flown with Qantas, but we have flown with Jetstar a few times and that has never ended very good. I must say, you lived up to your reputation. Everything went according to plan. On time, great service, good food and entertainment.

As you can imagine, before we left we wanted to pay and organize as much accommodation and adventures as we could. My wife was prompted by your company through your FFP to have a look at Airbnb. So she ended up booking and paying for accommodation in LA. Thankfully only this once. We left the beautiful Hawaiian islands and headed to Los Angeles. As you can imagine, it was an eye opener for our children. By the time we got to our accommodation we were ready to get our key and settle in and organize our adventures for the next few days. We tried ringing the owners with the phone numbers YOU provided us with, to no avail.

After being stuck on the street with nowhere to go, we managed to get into the building and talk to the manager and she said she had no idea what we were talking about. She did not want to help us what so ever. We tried both the numbers YOU provided and when my wife eventually got onto someone, they said they didn’t even have dealings with Qantas. They did not have our confirmation number registered and did not know why we were ringing them. Fortunately, they were very accommodating and gave us phone numbers to try and sort this out.

Now, where we were, we didn’t have very good coverage on our phones as we were depended on wifi. My wife Sharlene and I were doing our best to try and sort it out. We tried multiple numbers given to us by the very obliging americans. But unfortunately we got nowhere. After my wife broke down in tears, which broke my heart and made me very angry. I really wanted to have this fixed now. She felt like she had let the whole family down, we decided to walk the streets ( at sunset ) with our children and try to find some accommodation to stay for the night. Thankfully we had help from the locals and found somewhere to stay

At this stage we were pretty damn angry. We were going through emails, confirmation notices, I was emailing Qantas, trying number after number when finally at around 11pm LA time I got onto a young lady in Australia that got the ball rolling. It was to late for her to ring anyone in the States so she said the team in the morning would look after it and call us first thing. Luckily we didn’t waste our day waiting for that call. We ended up ringing and explained the situation and he said no one could get in contact with the owner.

So we were wondering how on earth we were meant to do it. Nothing was said about a refund so we asked the question and he said he would find out and ring us back. Thankfully someone contacted the owner and a refund was agreed on. (no brainer really, we shouldn’t of had to ask). We also asked about the phone calls we had to make to try and resolve this, and that is where we still stand today. We are debating over $129 bill. Very silly from a multi million dollar company. We are more upset that no one has taken responsibility for this. We just get the generic reply from Hooroo and yourselves. I drum into my children that if they stuff up or break something they need to own up to it, it's a lot easier in the end. Now they ask me why should we do that if a big company like Qantas don’t have too. I shouldn’t have to be answering questions like that.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the emails of all the people that matter.
1. Why are there no phone numbers on confirmation receipts that actually link your customers with the owners?
2. Has the accommodation we booked been taken off your list?
3. Is Hooroo run by Qantas or a separate company?

Please don’t send your generic response to me. I’m not interested in that. Don’t send this to Hooroo either, they don’t care. Give me some answers."

THIS IS THE REPLY: "Thank you for reaching us and please accept our apologies with the delay of our response regarding your concern. We appreciate you providing what you have recently experienced with the accommodation that you have made. We have already tried to get in touch with Hooroo to be able to provide some answers regarding this. Hooroo is under Qantas and I hope you understand that the have their own department and support. We here in Customer Care are able to help you regarding your post bookings experience (flight, on board) so we hope you understand that we are unable to provide further answers as we are unable to access it here on our end. The best we can do is to get in touch with Hooroo to further help you.

We have also requested for them to contact you directly regarding this matter. Alternatively, you can reach them through chat, email or phone at 1300-738-206. They are open 7am to 10om AEST, 7 days a week. To know more, you can kindly click here. On behalf of Qantas, please accept our apologies and we hope this response is of assistance to you."

Original review: July 6, 2018

I tried to book a return flight from Brisbane to Melbourne for 13 - 15 July on 1 June using the Qantas website on my phone. The website crashed before I received booking confirmation. I checked my Qantas account and the booking didn't show up so I reprocessed the sale. At the conclusion of the second process I received two confirmations ** and ** for the same flight. 24000 points were also deducted from my FF Points for each flight (i.e. 48000 in total) and $72.88 charged to my credit card for each flight (i.e. $145.76 in total).

I emailed and rang Qantas to advise of the error that evening and was advised that one of the bookings had already been reversed. I checked my FF Account and bank statement two weeks later and the booking had been reversed but the credit of points and money had not been processed so I rang Qantas and was advised it would be sorted.

I checked again a week ago and noted it still had not been sorted so I rang Qantas again. Again I was told it was being processed. I've since written to Qantas but received no response. It is now over a month since Qantas' website crashed and this error occurred and despite having contacted Qantas 4 times, Qantas has still not refunded my points or money. I have no idea how I get Qantas to refund me for their error. Talking to them certainly does me no good!

Original review: July 5, 2018

After 20 long years of being a loyal Qantas customer, I have completed more than 100+ flights with them internationally, I had 153,000 points removed from my frequent flyer account due to 'inactivity'. I tried to explain that this was because of I was pregnant and unable to fly, but this was no excuse. When I did fly again I was told my account would be restored. I completed a return flight from LAX to SYD and still now 1 week later I am being told that they are unable to give me back my points. I had saved these points for over 5 years, and am beyond disgusted by their level of customer service. They were totally rude, compassionate and simply do not value customer loyalty.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Original review: May 23, 2018

My wife and I were delayed 11 hours on a flight from London to Melbourne for which we are each entitled to compensation of €600. On the same holiday we were delayed five hours on another Qantas flight from Cairns to Sydney. We complained on our return in February but have received nothing from Qantas except a very brief acknowledgment. This is disgraceful and consequently no stars for Qantas and won't be using them again.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Been waiting for a refund for over 2 months now. Can't seem to get any answer from them whether this has been processed since the first conversation being advised by their agent that a refund is already processed and will be received within 10-14 business days. After getting back with them, all the response they can muster is "We are still looking into this for you"? Get your act together! you guys are a disgrace.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Until now my QANTAS APP still shows my departure flight is QF855 and I already booked my seat online BEFORE. But when I checked in, Qantas directly changed my flight to QF815 optionally and WITHOUT ANY EMAIL OR INFORM, it directly put off 3 hours and moved me to another flight? This is the first I experienced this. How dare an airline can do this?

Original review: March 31, 2018

I have flown with Qantas for many years. I am a frequent flyer both locally and internationally. Qantas repeated bad service, rude staff, really bad call centre (you can wait for over an hour), expensive loyalty program and uncompromising attitude towards its customers has finally put the nail in the coffin for me ever flying with them again. During flights I have spoken to Qantas staff about these issues. They tell me the company has a bad culture. Staff cut back causing lack of staff, they feel overworked and nobody listening.

My father recently flew Qantas after I suggested it. An email was sent to him the day before departure to say his flight had been moved forward by one hour. He is an older guy who does not check email on a daily basis. They then sent him on a 35 hour journey to Johannesburg. He started at Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth then onto Johannesburg. Totally unacceptable sending an older guy on such a journey. The Melbourne ground crew were rude to him. He lost his extra legroom seats we bought him. A total debacle. No apology. Alan Joyce is all about profit 900m this past year. Sayonara Qantas!

Original review: March 16, 2018

Paid for business with Emirates however they are in partnership with Qantas and two of our flights were with them. What a difference. They run out of beef, no bar area plane. Was 10 years old. Complete waste of money. Then I left my sunglasses on the flight. Waited 40 minutes to get through to their help desk. Was given a number for Heathrow lost property and they advised me they don’t deal with Qantas. Complete nightmare.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018 29.11.17. We had arrived at Sydney Airport Departures well in time but it took a long time in line to check in. After finally it was our turn. We all showed our passports and bookings. Then the lady asked for our return bookings out of NZ. When I tried to show my booking on my phone's email my booking would not open due to bad wifi or not working wifi!! No matter how much I tried it just wouldn't open! To add to my problem the check in lady wouldn't help me and kept on saying to hurry up and if I couldn't show the email in a minutes time she would offload me! A Ms. G ** even gave her email ID and my son sitting in India (4 am in the night) sent my ticket by email to her email address 3 times but she kept saying she hadn't received it! I Tried making calls to my husband in India but in vain.

It was difficult to even make a call!

Tried so many times and with the check in lady threatening us that the flight would take off and that only I (**) cannot board as I had ran out of time! (Later found out that fly didn't go on time also). All my friends (4 of them) had to leave without me! I was asked to go to the TG (Thai airlines) office to get a print out of my ticket. As I came out of the lift. The wifi started to work and I was able download my ticket!! I took a screenshot of the ticket and went to show them at the Qantas desk. But on showing it they said they could not do anything about it now!! On requesting them to put me on the next flight which was due at 1:50 pm. They said they could not help me and showed me the way to the sales counter of Qantas airlines!!

I therefore decided to BUY a new ticket to be able to get to Auckland ASAP!! After finding out the cheapest way to get there I had to buy another ticket for the 1:50 pm QANTAS flight!! Which cost me aus$ 574/-!!! No way was it cheap!! It was very MEAN of Qantas airlines staff!! I also had an ongoing flight to Rotorua and I had to miss that flight too due to timings!! I want to claim the money I paid for both the flights!! I have written my complaints to Qantas and even received a complaint register number... 2017/** but to no response even after 40-50 days!!! Extremely angry!?? Shame on you Qantas!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

When flying with Qantas I was very, very disappointed. I was seated at back of plane, food and service was very bad, I was seated next to two men, the seats were so small we were crammed in like sardines. I would not recommend Qantas to anyone and I would never fly with them again, very, very bad experience.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We have been Frequent Flyers for many years and choose to fly Qantas or partners. We paid $7646.90 for return flights Brisbane to London and one way to Budapest. We flew with BA from Singapore to London return by World Traveller Plus which is equal to Premium Economy but were not credited the correct amount of points. I have sent numerous emails with all the relevant details but get numerous people with different excuses. The last one today said as we got either an upgrade or complimentary upgrade, we were not entitled to the missing points. This is just a cop out as we did not have an upgrade. I would not expect to pay $7646 for economy flights or else someone has ripped us off. We know how we travelled and it was Premium Economy or equivalent. As for ringing them I spent 70 minutes on hold on 9/10 for another matter which is a joke. Shame on you Qantas for ripping off the little people.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I was booked on a return ticket on 21st September to Sydney and returning to the Philippines on the 13th of October, 2017. Due to circumstances, I needed to book an earlier flight back, and been given a ticket to fly on the 5th October, due to changed of date. I had to pay a fee of 300 dollars Australian. When I reached the airport, the Qantas attendant at the check-in counter informed me, that I am not allowed to fly because I only have a one way ticket, that I should possess a return ticket because I am holding a valid Australian passport, and she said that Australian passport holder should have a return ticket on hand for it is the International law. As I remembered, I flew to the Philippines on January 30, 2010 on a one-way ticket only and I got through, due to the fact that I am a Filipino descent. So, I just turned around and buy new set of return tickets for me and my husband.

Qantas Airline charged us 500 Australian dollars for the "NO SHOW" at the airport. Why? The Qantas attendant did not even let us enter the Qantas lane. And then, from the very beginning of changing the dates, fees and more fees were added to get the proper tickets to enter my country of origin. As I was traveling with my 92 years old husband on a wheelchair, don't you think this is absurd? Where is the humanity in this? And the true fact is, we needed to borrow the money to buy new sets of return tickets so we could fly back which also in fact, not necessary, because as we entered the Philippines, the Immigration official stamped our passports on a whole year stay, and what then for the return tickets we have, can those be refunded? If so, please have it refunded so we don't have to shoulder much paying off the borrowed money to get those tickets.

I know that your employees are just doing their jobs, but please let them know also the sorts of waiver that your airline should follow. Can it be more lenient especially to those people with disabilities like of my husband. We could have more enjoyable flight with Qantas if this matter was given attention through and through instead of leaving us on distress. We were frequent flyers of Qantas Airline for more than 20 years now, and this last flight was a horror. Thank you and regards.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I was onboard a Qantas flight from Canberra to Melbourne the 15 of February 2017. I was allocated an exit row seat 14 F. When the cabin crew member was informing us of the dangerous situations and what to do under the circumstances such as fire or water, the flight attendant ended it with "most importantly make sure you stay away from the Arab looking guy." The statement was extremely racist and totally unacceptable! Being an Australian Arab I am deeply offended and insulted with this behaviour. I was humiliated and embarrassed, the crew member was creating terror and fear for customers onboard. Qantas is a partner of Emirates which has "Arab guys." I am sure they would not find this behaviour funny or acceptable either! I am surprised and flabbergasted still of what happened.

What happened to respect, equality and basic human decency! I am extremely disappointed, honestly I would like to know what Qantas leadership and Management think about this behaviour and how they allow their employees to behave in this manner and taint the Qantas brand name and jeopardize their partnership with Emirates. I made a formal complaint to Qantas, they said they will investigate however they did. It perform their due diligence. I requested an apology several times however never got one. Qantas did not take the unlawful discrimination matter seriously at all and there is no resolution.

I am now taking a legal approach to this matter and my lawyer advised I have a very strong case as I have evidence of the Discriminatory comments being made by the crew member. I am seeking justice to ensure this unlawful discrimination behaviour will not happen ever again on a Qantas flight and creating terror and fear for customers against a race on flights will be diminished. I am also in the process of collating other passengers experiences of unlawful discrimination to highlight the pattern of behaviour and strengthen the lawsuit case. Shedding light in the media is also crucial to eliminate this discriminatory behaviour. Please reach out if interested. Thanks.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I booked a return flight Sydney to Colombo with Qantas. I am a Frequent Flyer. I have my dietary requirements set to vegetarian. When attempting to confirm my flight online I noticed that the second leg of my flight from Singapore indicated vegetarian meal as not available. I attempted to phone but left on hold. I used the chat facility and was made aware only then that this leg of flight, although having a Qantas flight number was with Emirates. I was told it was my responsibility to contact Emirates and arrange vegetarian meal. I explained that as I had booked with Qantas, it was easier and appropriate for Qantas to do this. I was told again it was up to me and was given two phone numbers neither of which worked.

I complained to Qantas using their complaint feedback form on 4/7. I received an acknowledgment saying I would receive a response within a maximum 15 days. 30 days later I have had no response. My return flight is soon and I am receiving the same intransigent treatment. The complaint link provided this time does not work. Surely if Qantas subcontract my seat and seat preference, they can also advise their partner of dietary requirements. I am very disappointed in Qantas' customer care.

Original review: July 23, 2017

DON'T TRUST QANTAS CASHCARD!!! While traveling in the UK May/June 2017, one of the forms of funds I took was Sterling on Qcashcard. Nearing the end of my stay, apart from my credit card, the cashcard was the last of the other 3 forms of cash availability I took. It suddenly stopped working and I couldn't withdraw money from ATMs or use it for retail transactions as I had been. After much stress and heartburning and a very protracted call to Australia from a friends landline, MasterCard was able eventually discover that F flyer had sent a new card to my home address and cut off the card I was using due to status change. No response from Qantas other than automated emails at 1.5 months and 4 emails to different departments. An entirely unsatisfactory action and totally unsatisfactory response from QANTAS. BEWARE!!!

Original review: May 31, 2017

I had booked a return Qantas flight Auckland to Bangkok 27th April 2017, Bangkok to Auckland 29th May 2017. On the return flight I called Expedia 5 days before flying as they were my travel agents to ask Qantas what were the criteria to fly after surgery and if I could get a priority booking. Expedia had me on the phone and returned saying all that was required was a letter from my surgeon giving clearance to fly. I had a laparoscopic surgery for weight loss 7days prior. I turned up to check in with the doctors letter. The check-in Qantas person proceeded to issue my boarding pass for myself, my friend who has also had the same surgery and also my 24 year old son. Two wheelchairs were provided. We said we could walk.

Then we were left waiting for some time unsure of what was going on. The Qantas supervisor had turned up and wanted to know why we required priority boarding. She apparently proceeded to tell me that we could not board the flight because our operation needed to be at least 10 days prior before being permitted to fly on a Qantas aircraft. We had just arrived from India to Bangkok where we had the surgery which was a 6 hour flight. I could not believe we’re not going to board the flight. The supervisor had spoken with doctors from Sydney and they confirmed that we could not proceed to board. I am not sure on what information though. I had called my surgeon who spoke with the supervisor but she was not going to allow any changes to the phone conversation she had with Qantas Sydney Doctors.

I asked if I could speak with the Sydney doctors so I could relay my condition with them. This was not permitted and so I requested that they have a doctor give me a checkup. The Qantas supervisor nor the manager had no medical knowledge. As for myself I am married to a doctor and my companion is a practice manager for Surgeons in Rotorua. We probably have more medical knowledge than the Qantas manager and supervisor put together. The supervisor tore our boarding passes very cynically. I asked what we’re to do if we did not board the flight and were we going to get replaced tickets and were we going to get help with accommodation.

I was so distressed and upset from these unexpected turn of events. My husband who had been trying to contact me found that on the Qantas website it stated if I traveler had laparoscopic surgery flight could commence four days after surgery. It was too late. My son managed to board the flight but my friend and I were left with wondering how we were going to get home. When we were more composed and not so upset we went to Bangkok help desk to ask what we could do. They suggested we go to Thai Airways booking office which was right on the same floor we were on and we booked a flight with Thai Airways for the following evening a direct flight from Bangkok to Auckland which cost us $899.00 each. We went back to the help desk who directed us to floor 2 to book accommodation close to the airport costing us $78 for the night. I will never fly with Qantas again even though I was a frequent flyer. Cold and heartless.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I don't normally write airline reviews and am not in the habit of complaining, but QANTAS was SO BAD that I really feel it needs to be made public. I am a 58 year old lady and was traveling with my husband from Christchurch to London. This involves a very long journey and three different flights, first from Christchurch to Melbourne, then from Melbourne to Dubai and finally from Dubai to London. The total time of traveling was something like 29 hours and the middle flight something like 13 or 14 hours. We fly quite a lot and use all sorts of airlines, including low cost airlines. I am not a fussy person and quite happy with just an ordinary seat, particularly as I am not very tall. If food and service is good it is of course a premium but I would be satisfied with most things.

Unfortunately this time, I managed to break a bone in my foot just the day before our flight. The foot could only be bandaged until I reach back home as otherwise I would have been unable to fly. The medical center did the x-rays and the doctor prepared a medical report for me to take to an orthopedic surgeon in London and a copy for the airline. I was very worried how we will manage to fly, as I could not walk at all. I was just hopping on one leg for a very short distance with some crutches we managed to buy, and then into whatever wheelchair or car. So of course we at least try to come very early to the check-in to see if they could help me a little bit for the flight. The desk attendant in Christchurch managed to change our seats to one which has a spare one in the middle for the (relatively short) flight from Christchurch to Melbourne.

This was very useful as I could raise my leg over the empty seat and over my husband's lap, which helped a lot with the pain and the swelling. The doctor stated clearly in writing that there is an additional risk of DVT particularly as my leg had to be tightly bandaged to stop getting worse. It was a real struggle to go to the toilet with the crutches and even using the toilet. Nevertheless, the check-in assistant in Christchurch claimed that she could not arrange anything for the two other flights (Melbourne to Dubai, the longest one, and Dubai to London, fairly long also) and that we had to speak to staff at each location. I doubt that very much and just think she could not be bothered.

Anyhow, at Melbourne, staff just parked me and no one talked to us. Our tickets were given to a check-in staff who simply changed our exit seats to normal seats, with absolutely no consideration taken with my broken leg and my pain and difficulties (we had booked these seats months ago at an extra charge, but they cannot be used in case of mobility difficulties). I then spent the next 13 or 14 hours in absolute agony squeezed in my seat with my sorry leg, occasionally struggling like crazy to use the toilet. There was no sympathy and no help from staff. On the contrary, at one point I was so desperate on leaving the toilet that I briefly sat on the seat that the hostesses use during take-off and landing and was swiftly told off. I know I can't do this but I was so desperate and no help was offered with anything.

For the third and final flight, we were told again to speak to the staff at check-in, and again this was totally useless and we were simply told that there were absolutely no spare seats on the flight and they could absolutely do nothing. I was in tears by then, because it looked like I had to endure another 7 or 8 hours flight with no consideration and in agony, particularly as it become quickly clear to me that there were the odd empty seat here and there that could have easily given me a lot of help and relief if only the will of the airline and the staff was there. Indeed, frustratingly, directly behind me there was a seat with no seat in front which would have helped my leg massively. The person sitting there said that they paid 180 dollars extra for that seat. So basically no one was asked to move and no one was prepared to move.

After I finally lost my temper and started shouting at the poor cabin attendants in desperation, and a few hours into this last flight, a more senior looking staff member finally suggested moving us upstairs to the business or first class, and I said I was not sure I could make the stairs. Then finally the person sitting in the seat behind with the space in front offered to go to the business or first class upstairs and give up that seat for me. FINALLY, relief at least, after being for about 20 hours in total pain and discomfort. Why could they not have done this from the start of the flight, and for all the flights? The person I dealt with was then full of apology but for me it was way too late. I would not be surprised that this whole episode made my break even worse, because on getting home and finally seeing an orthopedic surgeon, I needed an operation to put the bone right so that it heals properly. This was my worst experience of flying with any airline ever.

Original review: May 16, 2017

Flew QF51 from Brisbane to Singapore on Monday, May 1. Seat 48B. Wrote a letter explaining my bad experience 15 days ago. Have not heard back from them. Card Board Box Service. Understand the cost saving advantages from removing tray service and replacing with cardboard boxes, retail cakes and desserts. However, I have the following comments:

Increases the mess around the cabin. Increases requirement of guest participation in service procedure. Aisle customers constantly having to pass items to neighbours. Increases expectation by cabin attendants that seated customers will assist them in food delivery and waste collection. Waste collection is performed with all the management and style of janitors cleaning a football stadium after the fans have left. Retail packaging is tossed into bags at floor level (Sometimes from a distance.). Dumbs down the service. Flying Emirates two days prior, service still provided by tray cleaner, more efficient, more stylish, less disruption to seated guests, little or no required participation by seated passengers for service delivery and waste removal.

Service. Cabin attendant walking backward up from the back of the plane yelling out, DRINK as each seat row was reached. Surely, more effective if attendant walks forward from the top of the plane so passengers can see she is coming down with a drink to offer and no need to shout out. Two hours into the flight before any food was served. Only water and a single drink option was offered earlier. No initial bar round offered with drink, crackers, nuts. No forced delay was noted. Seatbelt sign off at around 25,000 feet.

Request for extra cheese and crackers ignored. (Provided during main meal.) As stated above, retail food items simply passed to me with expectation that I will complete the service provision to my neighbouring passenger. No smile, recognition or thank you. (Like it was my duty.) Expectation passengers are responsible for waste collection and deposit into the large bag purposely positioned at below seat level for this reason. No smile, recognition or thank you. (Like it was my duty.)

Request for a beer during the service of noodles was met with the Fawlty Towers, "A BEER!" spoken with loud voice that could be heard several rows away. No polite exchange, no offer of selection of beers, just the deposit of the beer onto my table tray. (Neighbouring passenger noted and commented to me on the rudeness of the exchange.)

Food. Selected Biryani. (Poor selection on my part. Over optimistic due to the excellent green chicken curry from Emirates two days earlier.) Lacking sauce. Lacking vegetables. Leathery naan bread served inside the dish. (Should be served separately.) Basically, a plate of rice. Most importantly, the dish was not spicy. Or no option was provided to make the dish spicy through the addition of a spicy sauce. This is a very important service omission for Asian customers. Noodles served in a cardboard box were soggy and inedible.

The plane was full, so obviously business is good. The above comments may or may not have any effect on your business success. But although economy class passengers have long let go of the glamourized impression of air flight, other airlines (most notably Asian and Middle Eastern) are at least working hard at aspects of the guest experience with professional service, attendants with at least competent communication skills and basic manners (more often high class service professionals), sensible menu selection (recognizing the limitations of air flight catering) and good food.

Original review: May 5, 2017

Just flew Brisbane to Sydney. The staff were all helpful and friendly. The new business lounge in Brisbane was well equipped, well staffed and toilets were clean and modern. The in flight meal was tasty and everything was on time. Altogether, a good start to a holiday and everyone did their job well and were an asset to the business.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Disgusting customer service practices and lack of care or regard for long term customers. I wasn't contacted regarding a flight change for my girlfriend and only found out myself by chance that the flight had been changed, plus frequent flyer details were removed from the flight. After speaking to their "team" both via phone and via internet they basically couldn't give a ** and didn't care or make and effort to deal with my frustrations or concerns. They also said that they didn't have the phone number to their own complaints department (wtf?), I found the complaint department number myself after thorough navigation of their website, but speaking with them was also in vain. /:(

I find the fact that I can't even call to make a complaint bloody ridiculous, their "staff" didn't take any responsibility and passed me onto this stupid form to fill out which fyi was also down. No effort was made to improve my experience and it also sounds their "team" isn't even based in Australia anymore. Which is disgusting considering their our national airline. /:(

After flying with their services every year for the past ten years, if this is the way they treat their customers then won't be flying with them anymore. /:( And based on my previous conversations I doubt they care anyway. Considering my girlfriend could have missed her flight and be stuck in china and they didn't seem to care about the gravity of this situation is quite concerning. DON'T FLY WITH QANTAS. I WON'T FLY WITH THEM OR THEIR AFFILIATES (JETSTAR) EVER AGAIN.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I am a Qantas Frequent Flyer, which I have been for many years. A simple task which I asked Qantas customer service to perform, as changed my further patronage of Qantas Airlines, both domestic and international. The simple task asked of them was to send myself in reply via email answers to questions that I had sent them both by their website and by email before an international flight of which was booked through Qantas.

I was under the belief that I would receive an email answering the questions in no more than 2-3 days. But after 2 weeks and still no reply solely automated responses from their website saying nothing, I have then tried to call "Qantas Customer Help". All I experienced was a 1 hour waste of time on a phone call listening to music and recorded messages saying how good customer service and flights with Qantas experience are. In fact, nothing could be more further from the truth!

I hung up the call after 1 hour as life is far too short for such wasted time dealing with such incompetent customer service. All I advise other passengers after experiencing this terrible service is if you are unfortunate to be flying with Qantas take out some serious travel insurance and life insurance because if there in-flight safety and service is anything similar to what their customer service shown to a frequent flyer. Look out! I WILL MOST DEFINITELY BE CHOOSING A DIFFERENT AIRLINE NEXT TIME I CHOOSE TO TRAVEL. NEVER FLY QANTAS!!!

Original review: March 4, 2017

Last September I booked a trip from Philadelphia to New Zealand through Expedia, via Qantas. Due to circumstances, I had to change the dates to April of this year. Expedia advised me that because my flight was within 24 hours, I had to contact Qantas to make the change. After calling Qantas and explaining the situation, their customer service rep told me to go online and change it. I did, and received confirmation emails that my flight was now in April. Months went by, and I received several emails from Qantas advising of minor changes to the flight times in April. Each time, I called to confirm these changes as directed, and the reps simply advised that it was now om, changes have been confirmed.

Last week, I called to see if I could move my flight forward one day and was told "you contact Expedia to do so". After getting a run around from Expedia for a week, they finally told me that Qantas advised them that because the original flight was booked through Expedia, the change made on the Qantas website was invalid and that I had no ticket for the April flight I had been confirming for months. They gave me two options; pay and additional $1000.00 to update my flight to April, or cancel the ticket (which they said I did not have) and get a refund, minus a $500.00 cancellation fee.

After fighting with Expedia, they agreed to pay the cancellation fee and I was able to book a new flight with Air New Zealand, but because I was not booking as far in advance now, the flight cost $700.00 more than what the initial cost was. Not one single person, in 4 phone calls to the airline and 6 to Expedia in the past 4 months let me know there was a problem with the ticket until now. I will never ever give either of these companies a single cent again.

Original review: March 2, 2017

Took a flight from London to Christchurch in February on QF9 and QF8766, the latter being operated by Emirates from Sydney to Christchurch. Baggage received at Christchurch frankly vandalised. Qantas say it is down to Emirates to deal with this. I fail to see how that can be the case if the luggage was passed to Qantas' care in London and not seen again until Christchurch. Won't be using again. Makes RyanAir look benevolent.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

Booked a flight on Qantas London Heathrow to Perth return, received tickets, etc., 10 days later was informed by Qantas "Your flight has been cancelled" due to a filing error with the price I paid. Left me 1200 out of pocket as I had booked nonrefundable hotels & car hire. Qantas won't answer emails or talk to me on the phone as they say I need a valid booking to speak to an agent. Worse airline experience I've ever encountered. Will book with one of the Middle Eastern airlines in future. Can't understand how airlines like Qantas survive with such bad service.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

Where can I start? It was a terrible experience from booking, to trying to get a customer service rep online, which btw costs money, to extremely long call hold times. When flying from Auckland to LAX, the tv screens did not work for over half the passengers, the flight attendants were rude, and the food was sub par. I would recommend any other airline to anyone flying in their routes. What the heck, it can't be any worse???

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

Bought a return air ticket from Blackall to Brisbane return for $281.70. I changed the date of travel from 21 Nov. to 18 Nov. for the Blackall to Brisbane leg and was charged an additional $364.00. For simply a change of date and no extra mileage this is clearly another example of a monopoly taking advantage of the consumer. In my view Qantas is a disgrace and given a choice would never fly with them again.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

I noticed some bad reviews here, so had to post a positive one for balance! We recently flew London to Melbourne return on the QF9/10 flights. As we are getting older we went the extra mile and booked Premium Economy. Even though the cost is expensive, we made the right choice. The extra space for comfort and leg room were a bonus, and the staff were so nice. For us the downside was getting the entertainment touch screen to respond, and the Premium menu not being down to earth enough. Not all people can eat curry or spicy foods (Me!) due to medical problems.

The duty free in flight gifts on offer are too up market, not everyone can pay 300-400 AUS dollars for a watch or jewelry. Thought needs to be taken to include young people, perhaps junior captain badges, stewardess wings, or model A380 with a stand. The small glass used for wine etc should be engraved with the Qantas logo and sold as a pair in the gifts catalogue. We would have bought that! We would have appreciated the chance of souvenirs with the Qantas as logo on, such as a small dish, or condiment set etc. Traditional should not be overlooked!

With a little exploration and patience, the right department for concerns can be found. Overall, our worst points have to be with the airports and not Qantas. Heathrow is the worst of all, making us walk for miles when we got back after a grueling 23 hour flight, with nowhere to sit in the corridors. The older generation need to be remembered please.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

On Sept. 6th I traveled from Singapore to Sydney economy class. The level of service was terrible. We were handed a menu that stated "Snack," "Fresh fruit," and finally "Breakfast." What we got was something indescribable in a box for a snack. It looked like a tired hot dog, that came with no napkins and a bar of Kit Kat. Next I was waiting on the fresh fruit that never came. A few hours later I inquired about the fruit and the steward told me, "Oh sure. I'll get you some." Obviously they were too lazy to deliver it to passengers.

When breakfast arrived that left a lot to be desired. There was no tea or coffee served with the breakfast... unbelievable for an airline like Qantas. No wonder you're making mammoth profits cutting down on service like that. I will warn everyone I know not to travel on your airline. Shame as it used to be up there with the best. You should take a long hard look at Emirates for the perfect example of how an airline should treat its passengers.

Qantas expert review by Erika Armstrong

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.

• Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.

• Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.

• Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.

• Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.

• Best for: Qantas is best for vacationers and business travelers going to or around Australia.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Qantas Company Information

10 Bourke Rd.
Mascot
2020
Australia
www.qantas.com.au

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business