2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.90/5

Qantas Reviews

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

21 December 2019 I flew business from Melbourne to Wellington NZ the 12 seats in business were full. I requested a second glass of champagne immediately after the take off and was told they had run out. When asked what I would like from the menu I requested cheese and was informed they had run out of cheese also the icing on the cake was the response to my complaint as a valued customer. I was given 2000 airpoints (value $10 to $20) which I found insulting. I have flown business with 5 airlines and on every other occasion the variance between economy and business was reflected in the service something that was sadly lacking on Qantas as was their response to my complaint.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

We were booked business class to fly to Rio de Janeiro from Brisbane. In December 2019 we booked and paid in January 2019 and in September we're notified they change the flight so we had to fly to Sydney and then to Santiago with a 5-hour layover. They wouldn't change that to an earlier flight so we didn't have to sit around for 5 hours. When we arrived home in January we received the SMS advising that our flight had been changed for December 9th last year.

When it came time to fly home from Verona series to Brisbane we checked in on KLM out of one of fairies to Santiago for a 9 a.m. flight. The next day when we got to the airport at 6 a.m. we were told that we were no longer booked on that flight and eventually found out that we'd been booked on 11.45 pm flight with Air New Zealand direct to Auckland and then on to Brisbane. We still haven't received any notification of this change. We wrote to Qantas 5 business days ago and have had no response at all. Typical of their service.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

We have bought return tickets from Adelaide to Ho Chi Minh city. According to original ticket the flight will connect at Melbourne, Singapore then arrive Ho Chi Minh City. Just 8 hrs before departure they send us message announced the delay of the flight from Melbourne to Sigapore without any arrangement for the connecting flight from Singapore to Ho Chi Minh city (which will depart 25 minutes before our flight from Melbourne arrive in Singapore). I phoned them to check for options but very limited choice. Either we have to use Jetstar (which is cheap flight) without meals and snacks, smaller aircraft or we have to stay 1 night in Singapore without any support (accommodation, meals...) This is such a cheating as we didn't purchased cheap flight service. Customer care team didn't seem to care. Very disappointed and will never use Qantas again.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

After being advised that there was a 35 minute wait. my phone call was answered two hours later. Absolutely ridiculous in this day and age and not what you expect from an excellent airline as far as safety and flying is concerned.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I had a connecting flight Brisbane-Sydney, Sydney-Wellington. I was told it was the fires that caused the 12 minute late arrival into Sydney and this stopped me getting on the Wellington flight. But we arrived 45 mins before departure! Galling to see my flight take off and I and some other passengers not allowed on it. The actual flight only allows one hour from arrival to departure to Wellington so they don't build in any provision for even a 12-15 minute delay. I had to stay in Sydney for the night and lost a day's wages. The customer service was utterly appalling; they were rude, curt and, lied, I was told I had to go to a hotel that they had booked but then I found out it was 20km away and pay my own taxi fare which was $90 each way!

When I disputed that and asked to be accommodated nearer the airport I was told there were no rooms anywhere nearer. Lies! After over two hours in which I was threatened with airport security for asking to speak to a supervisor, they finally gave me a letter that said I could book a hotel at the airport! Two hours of being treated so badly and being humiliated. I wrote to their Head Office and three weeks later got a refund but no apology or money for lost wages, no answers about their tight scheduling that leaves no room for even a 10-15 min delay. I wrote to the airline customer advocacy and 24 hours later Qantas shut down my request for information, my request for an apology and my request for compensation and said they were sorry I was not happy but they would leave it as 'not resolved.'

In other words 'we don't care, now shut up and go away.' Airlines are the only organisation that can take customers' money in advance, provide an appalling service that leaves you feeling frustrated and fed up and then just ignore you when you ask for questions. They offered me 4,000 airports as 'goodwill.' Did I ask for them or want them? No, certainly not. 'Goodwill" is listening to the customer and trying to work out a solution. How ironic to give me airpoints that will cost me a a huge amount to redeem them! I already spent 12,000 and nearly $300 to be treated like dirt. I certainly won't be making that mistake again. My advice would be to check carefully when Qantas schedules your connecting flights. It seems they don't care how inconvenienced the customer is and they certainly do not care if you are a happy customer or not. Without a doubt, it's the worst 'customer service' I have ever had from anywhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Before I get into my issues I must say that the staff in the first Class Lounge at LAX and the First Class Cabin Crew were excellent but after our recent experience with QANTAS we are unlikely to ever fly with them again. We originally flew Business Class from New Orleans to LAX and changed to aircraft to fly First Class to Sydney. On arrival at LAX we immediately went to the Business Lounge to make sure that our bags were transferred from our incoming flight. The Staff member confirmed that our bags were being taken care of and that there wouldn't be a problem, we advised that we would be in the First Class lounge for the next 2 hours and if there was a problem to let us know, heard nothing so assumed everything had been taken care off.

Arrived in Sydney on 4th December and went to collect bags to be advised that they had missed the flight and would arrive on the next flight from LA. Following day still no bags and after ringing QANTAS and what seemed like hours on hold were told the bags would arrive the next day and someone would ring to confirm. 5th December no call so we rang again and finally were answered and advised bags were at Customs and would be delivered by 10:00 pm. Bags finally arrived at 10:30 pm with one damaged to the point where it cant be used and another bag (which was new) damaged to the point where will will not use it again.

Emailed QANTAS< Customer Complaints the following day detailing our issues and received an email back stating that we would be contacted within 14 Days. Still waiting over a month later so emailed again to be advised that the COMPLAINT NUMBER was missing or incorrect. This was not the case as I copied and pasted the number to the previous email I sent. I resent the email and still waiting for a response. QANTAS is incompetent and does not care about its passengers so we will in future use a Customer Focused Carrier.....QANTAS has just lost a long term customer and QFF member.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I have traveled with my wife across Australia and New Zealand on Qantas over the past few weeks and have experienced issues with every flight and experience with Qantas. Firstly, the seat reservation system is extremely poor. On all my flights I rushed to check in early and was allocated terrible and random seats which I could not change. On my first flight I was seated opposite the toilet and my return flight to Johannesburg I was allocated the 2 middle seats in between people on both sides right at the back of the plane. This is despite the fact that I checked in more than 24 hours before the flight left (due to it being a connecting flight). I wanted to change my seats so I called Qantas and even offered to pay to change.

I was advised that they raised a comment on my booking and that I could only change at the checkin counter at the airport. I went straight to the checkin counter in Sydney and the service as usual was pathetic. I was first told that I could change but I would have to pay which I said I would. Then the man told me actually he can't accept money at the counter so there is nothing he can do. The Qantas staff across all my flights were exceptionally rude and unhelpful. I complained and was told if I have a problem I must fill this form out. My flights were delayed multiple times. When I landed we had to wait on the plane for nearly an hour before we could move into the parking bay. My one suitcase arrived in Christchurch without a wheel and even though I raised a query online, I have received no feedback. Overall the worst travel experience I have ever had on an airline.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

Airport lady at the counter was very rude in telling off the passengers that the flight was not ready for boarding and to wait outside. She had a very condescending tone, “There is a reason why the door is close, you can’t just come walking through the door”. How are the passengers suppose to know that?! And when I ask them if I should wait outside the doors, she replied with “Wait where ever you want”. Seriously, where are your people skills?!?!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I have 7 FF members in my immediate family, we’ve been members for years. My in laws were left to sleep on the floor of Sydney Int’l after a 24 hour flight delay. At 11pm they were told all hotels are full. Given some crackers and 200ml of water each. My FIL just had a knee replacement. He also took photos of a man left there sleeping in his wheelchair. At 3am a cleaner chased them all out. It’s been 3 weeks. Average 2 hr hold time each time I call. Emails are ignored. Everyone lies, passes the buck, denies, trfs the call, blames the airport, anything! Fact is they do not care and they can and will get away with it. I’ll just never fly Qantas again.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

We flew today with Qantas from Melbourne to Sydney then a connecting flight to Jakarta at 1.50pm (boarding time 1.05pm). We came early to the airport around 9am to check in for our 11am flight. As we got to the desk, the lady told us that she will happily move us to an earlier flight which was 10:30am. We thought, “sure! Sounds great.”

We have boarded on the plane and realized that it took so long for the plane to actually fly so I haven't turned my flight mode off yet. 35 mins into the delay I suddenly received an email saying that they have moved my flight to 11am. Which was odd because we have never agreed to that.. And we were already inside the plane And have been sitting on our seat for a long while when said email arrived in my inbox. If it’s a delay and truly the airlines fault then just admit it and don't try to be diplomatic by sending us a late email saying we have now been moved!

The total delay time was 1 hour and now we are panicking because as stated earlier, we have a connecting flight to Jakarta. Stressed out, I asked mid flight if we are actually going to make it. Stewardess say it should be fine, we have a lot of time. We arrived at Sydney airport at around 1.05pm and had to run to the bus terminal and then go through multiple security checks, and the queue was so long! We were so stressed out at this point because we were told gates are closed 30 mins before departure. Once cleared we ran to our gate only to find out that, again, our flight to Jakarta is delayed because the “catering has not arrived”. From 1.50pm now pushed back to 2.15pm. We trusted Qantas yet it failed us. Never again.

Not sure about Qantas?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Qantas expert review by Erika Armstrong

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.

• Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.

• Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.

• Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.

• Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.

• Best for: Qantas is best for vacationers and business travelers going to or around Australia.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Qantas Company Information