3.28/5

Looking for a travel site?

Qantas

Looking for a travel site?

171 Qantas Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Upon queuing to board a plane, my partner and I were confronted by a service staff member who without saying anything to us, reached across and snatched our drinks from our hands and threw them into a bin. Finding this rude and undignified, we contacted customer care to express our dissatisfaction with their service, Qantas response was that their staff member acted appropriately. Feeling like I’d just been spat on for asking why did you slap me? The two persons I dealt with on the phone would lie and make unjustifiable comments, when asked to put into writing, I was laughed off and they blatantly refused to. I was a loyal customer for over 20 years, they used to represent something, now I just see them as they really are, pretentious money grabbing scum. They really take the ‘fake it till you make it’ expression to heart, they’re not in it for customer, they’re in it for themselves. Their hoSPITality is fake, just like their self perception.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

On 26th July 2019 my husband and myself travelled business class flight number QF 699 Melbourne to Adelaide. I was seriously injured while on holiday and unable to walk. I was told that I would not be able to bring my walking frame aboard the flight as it was too wide for the aisle on plane. Also it would not fit into cabin locker. I was distressed and questioned how would I be able to go to toilet. The reply was to go now before we board the plane. This had me in tears as I could not walk without it.

The plane was delayed due to bad weather. When it came to board the flight I was expected to get to my seat from wheelchair at entrance of plane without my frame and without walking or hopping. Finally a aisle wheelchair was provided so I could be seated. My walker would have easily fitted along the aisle of plane also in overhead cabin storage as it folds down. I needed to have my foot elevated. I was given three small cushions to rest my foot on. That did not raise my foot high enough and there was not enough room for my leg to be extended. We travelled from Bali to Melbourne on Garuda airlines business class the same day. Excellent service and was able to have my walker on flight without any problems. Also when our luggage was unpacked items inside were wet. Who knows how long they were left out in rain.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

A Qantas customer service agent explicitly told me I could upgrade my flight from Sydney to London with 120,000 air miles if I paid an extra $600 for a flexible ticket (not true!). So I go back to the travel agent, pay the money and phone Qantas again, to be told the upgrade is only a request and I’ll be informed 24 hours beforehand whether I’ve been successful (no chance, it’s a busy route and I’m a lowly bronze member). There goes my 600 bucks. But it gets better, I then decide to cancel my “flexible” ticket and fly with a different airline, however, when I call Qantas again (the 3 HOUR hold time should have told me all I needed to know about Qantas customer service) they tell me my flexible ticket is in fact under the same terms and conditions as my old ticket, so I’d have to pay $500 to cancel it instead of $200.

How can you take my money and sell me a flexible ticket that’s not flexible?! What have I paid for? I’ve been misled to the point of fraud. I’m from the UK so need to read up on Australian trading laws, but surely it can’t be legal to tell a customer they’re buying one thing and give them another. Throughout all this, Qantas have been unapologetic and looked to blame the travel agent, rather than taking accountability. No one has replied to the complaint I filed over a week ago. Qantas seem to think that since they have a monopoly on the market, they don’t need to provide any customer service, but they shouldn’t be too complacent. I fly frequently for business and pleasure, I added up what I spent on flights last year and it came to around $10,000, which I will be taking to Virgin after this debacle. Looking at the reviews below, it seems like more than a few others are planning to boycott Qantas too!

Original review: July 10, 2019

I had booked a Qantas flight from Brisbane to India for my parents assuming that they will get good service. My mother had a knee replacement surgery in the past and can't walk much. Also she had an injury to her hand while on her trip. After requesting and confirming wheel chair assistance multiple times from May till 10th July, today she didn't get the assistance on reaching Brisbane airport. My parents reached airport, around 4 hours before departure, which was much prior than what was requested by the staff to get the assistance. Apart from that, the flight was delayed by 2h 20 min and the Qantas staff was so rude and reluctant to communicate any details about the next connecting flight which was about to be missed due to the delay. My parents and specially my mother had to go through all the torture.

After much wait the flight took off at 1 pm. I didn't receive any email communication regarding the next flight, till the time I didn't call the customer care at 8 pm. Qantas doesn't think it's their responsibility. Since morning I have been calling Cathay and messaging Qantas. Disgusting service by both. None takes the responsibility and asks to speak to the other airline. What a huge mistake!! Now my parents have been given a via flight. So now they have to travel to BKK and then to Delhi. No wonder why Singapore airline is the best airline! And the best part is no one in Qantas and Cathay real care about your concerns. Ridiculous customer service. Not recommended for anyone, specially parents. Need a clarification on this.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Booked a flight and cancelled online within 8 hours same day. I saw the policy that tickets will be refunded if it is within the 24 hour period. I have called about every two weeks for months now and no refund. Good luck even just getting them on the phone. Not going to happen. They keep telling me that it is being processed when we both know they have no intention of refunding my money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Original review: June 29, 2019

Been traveling to Australia from the US three to four times a year in business class for 20-years and to see the decline in service has been shocking. From snarky check-in experience to the ragged old A380, very miserable service from beginning to end. Stayed with them because they are partners with my airline (Alaska) but I’ve finally had enough! Cancelling my next flight and booking with another partner even if I have go through Asia to get here, I am done! Since they don’t respond to emails or answer calls they will never know the amount of business they lose!

Original review: June 22, 2019

I loaded Qantas cash card for bonus points offer. My husband did the same on the same day he got points now. Qantas won't give me my points. I have emailed them 6 times over a month. They never reply. I just want them to explain to me why my points are not approved.

Original review: June 21, 2019

First-My TSA approved lock was cut off on my luggage and Qantas reply was to submit it to my travel insurance (which I had none and the deductible would of been more than than that) This means to the consumer that you should check your bags to see if anything is missing after flying because I would of never known if the lock wasn't missing. Some airlines provide notes.

Second-I had a refund and they did not apply it. I had to call which took hours because you will be on hold forever. I spoke to someone in South Africa who took 45 minutes to check 4 prices of new flights. They told me they would call me back and they had my email but there was no reply. One call disconnected so I had to wait another hour to get ahold of them. The consumer should not be paying such as high price for such poor customer service. We deserve better than this and their approach with me was to delay, delay and delay trying to pay me back for my refund as well as not address the missing TSA approved lock that cost my $25.00.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Flight QF94 was cancelled without notice. Dumped onto flight to Sydney instead of Melbourne. Downgraded on flight and no in flight catering. Broken luggage. Staff at airports not the least interested. Qantas site won't accept complaints. Qantas needs to lift its game.

Original review: June 6, 2019

My family and I booked flights to Australia. We then had a significant family emergency. It was not severe enough for our travel insurance to cover, but much too severe to risk traveling. I contacted Qantas and at first they were very helpful offering me suggestions for how to get a credit voucher and then reschedule a trip for a later date. Then when I tried to put this plan into action I was told I have been given wrong information. Our flights would be forfeit even though THEY gave me wrong information. I was totally given the runaround. So I got pissed.

So, then I was given a credit voucher, but here’s the catch...it expires before I could realistically reschedule any travel. It is useless. And I was issued it after I told the agent when I needed to fly. They are so bizarrely rigid about rules they don’t even have full knowledge of. They have zero customer service training. It’s not even scripted, it’s just clueless. Completely clueless. To top it off calling them you are on hold for over an hour every time. And the communication breakdown is so bad it feels like you’re being scammed. I will never ever fly Qantas again. It is unbelievable to me that a company can even stay in business operating like this.

Qantas expert review by Erika Armstrong

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.

• Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.

• Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.

• Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.

• Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.

• Best for: Qantas is best for vacationers and business travelers going to or around Australia.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
      Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Qantas Company Information