3.16/5

Looking for a travel site?

Qantas

Looking for a travel site?

Qantas Reviews

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

As a lifetime Qantas Gold FF, it pains me to have to admit that Qantas are probably the worst airline the in the world. I travel 2-4 times a month and probably 75% of my trips have issues that leave me utterly frustrated and angry. Staff attitude sucks, petty rules adhered to regardless of circumstances, staff ignorant of their own FF rules and check in processes and absolutely no empathy for those on the receiving end of their "having a bad day". Recent publicised issues around racism and mis-use of authority are things I can relate to, and as many others have pointed out, the complaints process is an utter waste of time unless you want to take it all the way to court.

Just another example of a greedy corporation desperately trying to make money, cutting corners, cheesed off workforce with zero motivation and a complete misunderstanding of the power of customer loyalty. I could also go on about the "lounge" experiences and food quality but blood pressure is high enough so I'll sign off. If you have a choice other than Qantas, take it whatever the price, it will be worth it.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

Hey QANTAS, the trip hasn't even started yet and it already sucks. When we pay a premium to book with an Australian Airline, keep the money in AUS, support Aussie jobs, and sign up to your frequent flyer program in order to build a relationship, why throw it all down in pieces with such small errors? Lift your game if you want loyal customers who are proud of Australian business. You represent us internationally, and we expect better service from you. Your morals are not what our country represents.

You won't let us sit next to each other, on a 24-hour long haul flight. Why? Do you want us to suffer whilst having screaming children in our ear? Firstly, we have to call Emirates in order to do anything with the flight, and then each of you just points the finger at each other and says neither of you are responsible. You are both destroying each other's reputations. Someone wear the pants, and take control of your customer's experience, otherwise destroy both of your brands. $100 to sit next to each other whilst travelling.

Secondly, what's the deal with additional baggage? We don't even have the option to book it in advance, for the same finger pointing between you and Emirates. Then, once you find the rates amongst all the confusion it is $100/kg! Why are you not charging the fatties who take up half of our seat, or your overweight pilots, for their extra baggage? It is unfair, and destroys your customer experience. How about trying for some quality difference between yourself and the other airlines, because if you continue to provide service that is no better than the rest, you force yourself to compete on price and have no unique qualities about your product. Consider how you can be different.

Finally, you have a 2.5 hours wait time for telephone service. When we finally get a return call, five hours later, we receive sub par service from overseas call centres. Are you really a proud Australian business? FIVE HOURS!? Is that acceptable levels of service for customers you try so hard to win over as loyal through your FF programs which you spend millions marketing.

When you provide these levels of service, you tarnish your brand. Then, when we see partnerships with Caltex, Woolworths, Citibank, AMEX, you ruin all of their reputations and businesses also. Your customers end up resenting you, and their QANTAS Credit Cards, loyalty programs, insurance, and all your other hard work. You can do better. You leave a sour taste in our mouths, and we haven't even tried to cabin food yet. Hopefully you lift your game before lift-off. Feel free to correct your mistakes, turn around an experience, and have loyal young international travellers for the rest of their lives. Maybe we should fly with Sir. Branson, maybe the Pom's will take better care of us...

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

WE are Qantas members and we contacted Qantas over 12 times asking for assistance with our booking overseas. We never received a response to our query and when I sent another email which were over 12 times, they would apologise and recommend we include our Reference Number which we always did and then a generated email, each time, stated that the Reference number never existed! We still have all these responses just in case they contact us one day. Our first email was in August and the last one was last week and still waiting. Qantas will take your booking, sign you up as a member and then it stops there. Not very impressed.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Three of us flew with Qantas to Auckland a couple of weeks ago. We checked 2 bags with clothes for ourselves and as gifts. When the luggage arrived in Auckland they were wet and all the clothes inside were also wet. I wrote to Qantas and asked for compensation. Tim kindly wrote back saying SORRY but they don't do compensation for such events? Seriously whatever happened to our Australian Icon. How could they not think they had some duty of care to ensure our luggage arrived intact and DRY!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Earlier this year, January 19, 2019 I booked a flight from Bangalore, India (BLR) to Brisbane (BNE) via Singapore (SIN). 1. The flight from BLR to SIN was QF3808. After the appropriate document checks, I was allowed to board the flight. 2. Upon arrival in SIN (the flight was late), I was denied boarding on QF 52 on account of not having the required eVISA for Australia. 3. While I agree that it is the passenger's responsibility to ensure appropriate travel documentation, it is STILL not clear to me why I was allowed to board at Bangalore and consequently incur additional hotel, meals etc expenses in SIN.

4. The airline thus far has refused to take any responsibility, stating that it was a code share flight with a now defunct airline! The Airline and/or its Proxies were grossly negligent and need to take responsibility. So, it is in fact Qantas that needs to figure out the Service Level Agreements (per IATA rules) and ensure adequate execution and not harass inconvenienced passengers! 5. My recommendation is to avoid this airline! In case of any issues, the passenger is likely to get nothing but excuses.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

Once again I’m sitting aboard a flight delayed. This time a flight to Singapore and it’s delayed because there was a “change of captain”!! So even though the airline knew the captain was flying from another city and obviously wouldn't leave on time they made us board and then fed us lies about what was happening. 50 minutes ago they announced the problem and assured us the “crew” were passing through customs and immigration and would be at the aircraft soon. Now the Second Officer has announced the missing captain has just landed from Sydney and is only now clearing customs and our flight is going to be delayed (if we are lucky) by an hour.

This sort of thing happens all the time with Qantas. I travel frequently and have come to expect flights to be delayed. Now the question is always not whether the flight will be delayed but rather, how late will it be today? Sadly, this airline can’t run to schedule any more and of course the poor customer has to just put up with it. The passenger has no option but to be on time but the airline can be as late as they like, ruin people’s plans as much as they like and all you get is “thanks for your patience, we apologize for the delay”. Empty words Qantas, empty words.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Upon queuing to board a plane, my partner and I were confronted by a service staff member who without saying anything to us, reached across and snatched our drinks from our hands and threw them into a bin. Finding this rude and undignified, we contacted customer care to express our dissatisfaction with their service, Qantas response was that their staff member acted appropriately. Feeling like I’d just been spat on for asking why did you slap me? The two persons I dealt with on the phone would lie and make unjustifiable comments, when asked to put into writing, I was laughed off and they blatantly refused to. I was a loyal customer for over 20 years, they used to represent something, now I just see them as they really are, pretentious money grabbing scum. They really take the ‘fake it till you make it’ expression to heart, they’re not in it for customer, they’re in it for themselves. Their hoSPITality is fake, just like their self perception.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

On 26th July 2019 my husband and myself travelled business class flight number QF 699 Melbourne to Adelaide. I was seriously injured while on holiday and unable to walk. I was told that I would not be able to bring my walking frame aboard the flight as it was too wide for the aisle on plane. Also it would not fit into cabin locker. I was distressed and questioned how would I be able to go to toilet. The reply was to go now before we board the plane. This had me in tears as I could not walk without it.

The plane was delayed due to bad weather. When it came to board the flight I was expected to get to my seat from wheelchair at entrance of plane without my frame and without walking or hopping. Finally a aisle wheelchair was provided so I could be seated. My walker would have easily fitted along the aisle of plane also in overhead cabin storage as it folds down. I needed to have my foot elevated. I was given three small cushions to rest my foot on. That did not raise my foot high enough and there was not enough room for my leg to be extended. We travelled from Bali to Melbourne on Garuda airlines business class the same day. Excellent service and was able to have my walker on flight without any problems. Also when our luggage was unpacked items inside were wet. Who knows how long they were left out in rain.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

A Qantas customer service agent explicitly told me I could upgrade my flight from Sydney to London with 120,000 air miles if I paid an extra $600 for a flexible ticket (not true!). So I go back to the travel agent, pay the money and phone Qantas again, to be told the upgrade is only a request and I’ll be informed 24 hours beforehand whether I’ve been successful (no chance, it’s a busy route and I’m a lowly bronze member). There goes my 600 bucks. But it gets better, I then decide to cancel my “flexible” ticket and fly with a different airline, however, when I call Qantas again (the 3 HOUR hold time should have told me all I needed to know about Qantas customer service) they tell me my flexible ticket is in fact under the same terms and conditions as my old ticket, so I’d have to pay $500 to cancel it instead of $200.

How can you take my money and sell me a flexible ticket that’s not flexible?! What have I paid for? I’ve been misled to the point of fraud. I’m from the UK so need to read up on Australian trading laws, but surely it can’t be legal to tell a customer they’re buying one thing and give them another. Throughout all this, Qantas have been unapologetic and looked to blame the travel agent, rather than taking accountability. No one has replied to the complaint I filed over a week ago. Qantas seem to think that since they have a monopoly on the market, they don’t need to provide any customer service, but they shouldn’t be too complacent. I fly frequently for business and pleasure, I added up what I spent on flights last year and it came to around $10,000, which I will be taking to Virgin after this debacle. Looking at the reviews below, it seems like more than a few others are planning to boycott Qantas too!

Original review: July 10, 2019

I had booked a Qantas flight from Brisbane to India for my parents assuming that they will get good service. My mother had a knee replacement surgery in the past and can't walk much. Also she had an injury to her hand while on her trip. After requesting and confirming wheel chair assistance multiple times from May till 10th July, today she didn't get the assistance on reaching Brisbane airport. My parents reached airport, around 4 hours before departure, which was much prior than what was requested by the staff to get the assistance. Apart from that, the flight was delayed by 2h 20 min and the Qantas staff was so rude and reluctant to communicate any details about the next connecting flight which was about to be missed due to the delay. My parents and specially my mother had to go through all the torture.

After much wait the flight took off at 1 pm. I didn't receive any email communication regarding the next flight, till the time I didn't call the customer care at 8 pm. Qantas doesn't think it's their responsibility. Since morning I have been calling Cathay and messaging Qantas. Disgusting service by both. None takes the responsibility and asks to speak to the other airline. What a huge mistake!! Now my parents have been given a via flight. So now they have to travel to BKK and then to Delhi. No wonder why Singapore airline is the best airline! And the best part is no one in Qantas and Cathay real care about your concerns. Ridiculous customer service. Not recommended for anyone, specially parents. Need a clarification on this.

Qantas expert review by Erika Armstrong

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.

• Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.

• Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.

• Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.

• Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.

• Best for: Qantas is best for vacationers and business travelers going to or around Australia.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
      Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Qantas Company Information