2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.9/5 (297 ratings)

About Qantas

Qantas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Original review: May 31, 2021

I could understand reduced staff during the COVID19 peak but we're a year into it with flights even open to NZ. Call wait times to retrieve simple receipts or confirmations are shocking- >3 hour wait on Friday to process a credit and +2hours on Saturday to retrieve extra baggage confirmation. Qantas shows no remorse squandering our time. Spirit of Australia?? Really...

Original review: May 28, 2021

I wholeheartedly recommend avoiding this company at all costs. No dramas with taking your money and if all goes well, but God forbid you need a refund. I have waited months and months of back and forth to no avail, several weeks between each reply where they don't even read what I've written and just throw a copy and paste that is of zero help and doesn't resolve anything. Then another few weeks before they do the same to my reply. Told me to get advice from the bank, I got it, provided it to them, and they did the exact opposite of what the bank suggested - refunding to an old account, which is no longer retrievable - so they have literally lost me several hundred dollars because they didn't take the advice they asked for.

Have made me waste hours on numerous in person visits and phone calls with my bank, hours of wasteful messages, and all the while have zero empathy and zero recognition of their own mistake - and a complete refusal to even read a word I say and acknowledge what has happened. Must not have a copy and paste for that. They can't even, after months of asking, simply call me to discuss. They refuse to escalate and refuse to call me. Waste of time, waste of money, disgusting service. Would literally pay 10x as much for a flight through someone else simply to avoid this company who talk in circles and ignore everything I say. Steer clear especially in times like these where you are likely to have to deal with customer service. That's too generous a name for this team of thieves.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2021

Is there no shame. Second time Qantas has bumped us off a Direct International Flight to New Zealand. Our families original direct flight QF171 to WELLINGTON is still flying, but without us and our children. It's a disgrace, and I'm ashamed Qantas still says the Spirit of Australia. BTW Fly another Airline, wait is 2 hours to get through to make us beg for the direct flight/make a complaint. Goodbye Qantas, never again. Fly VIRGIN, or even Air New Zealand and pay the extra $50 you'll have to spend in Sydney on lunch.

Original review: April 15, 2021

I booked a flight 2wks ago. The website kept crashing but eventually I booked and paid for flights and received a confirmation booking. 2 days ago Qantas emailed me saying payment is required for my booking and I need to call them within 24 hrs. I phone soon after getting the email. I was on hold for 3 hours before someone answered the phone, verified my details and asked what reference number appeared on the email. They then put me on hold again. About 20-30 mins later they return and say they've checked twice and payment wasn't made. I said that's impossible as I have a bank statement that proves I have and a booking confirmation/receipt from Qantas! I said I want to escalate the matter. Off she went again.

In the meantime I realised my booking confirmation had a different reference number than the one on the recent email. I also noticed on the Qantas app that my flight is noted as cancelled. When she returned 10 mins later (now over 3.5hrs since I phoned) she had the nerve to say, "Why didn't you tell me the booking number was different before." I was livid. Then she argued with me about it!! I asked to escalate the issue to make a complaint. She tells me to write an email. I then asked for her supervisor. She said there isn't one and I said I demand to talk to someone, as there has to be someone more senior available.

A man answers (now 4 hrs since making the call). He's apologetic but basically couldn't help. I pleaded that it isn't reasonable for me to be asked to send an email after being on the phone for as long as I have and because it will slow down resolution. He said he'd make notes on my account and that was it. So I sent a complaint email with 4 attachments. 2 days later I'm worried that I won't have flights and need to make alternate arrangements so I call them back. After 2 hrs and 32 mins of being on hold without anyone answering I hung up. I SENT Messenger messages, tagged them in social media and have had zero reply. Do not bother with this mob. Their service is appalling. Utterly disgusting.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

I have been reading recent reviews of Qantas and am not surprised that things have not changed with their treatment of their main source of income - passengers. A couple of years ago my wife and I missed a flight from Brisbane to LA (my fault entirely). Fortunately, thanks to our excellent travel agent, we were able to get on another flight the next day. I fully expected, and accepted, that I would be charged for the missed flight. I did not expect to be charged for 2 return fares. We did not, and would not, miss the flight home. It is something you would only do once, but yes they charged us 2 full return flights and did not want to know us when I questioned it.

I have no issue with on board crews. We have flown Qantas on many occasions and have always thought their crews were excellent but I think their system are designed to rip off the consumer as we can see by the number of bad reviews now online. If I ever fly Qantas again it would have to be an absolute emergency. Good luck to all those people who are now battling with them over refunds.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

As a FIFO worker in Western Australia I am concerned about the recent media reports that Qantas will most likely be mandating experimental vaccines for air travelers. Why are we mandating vaccines for a virus that is 99% survivable with NO treatment for most age groups! Why are current reliable drugs that are known to be effective in the treatment of Covid 19 being demonized by the mainstream media? Why did the Lancet report have to retract a supposed trial of thousands of people and doctors stating HCQ was not an effective treatment? Are we now living in a communist country where we have no rights? Keep your Great Reset, we don't want to be your slaves. Contact all airlines and let them know these experimental vaccines should not be mandatory.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

We ordered an iPhone using an excessive amount of points we had accumulated and money. The Qantas website seemed to have a glitch and unfortunately we were sent the wrong model. The package is unopened and a brand new iPhone but not what we ordered and they refuse to exchange it for the model we requested and paid for. They keep blaming Apple stating they don't allow exchanges, however on contacting Apple- they have clearly stated that Qantas buys their products in bulk and they have no problem with exchanges. It's ridiculous that they send the wrong product and are not willing to help customers out, especially since we have been with them for 20 years and hold silver status.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

The way Qantas have treated us throughout this pandemic is absolutely disgusting! My flight was cancelled back in March due to the pandemic and my refund still has not been received. When I ring qantas they won’t talk to me because my flight was booked via Web Jet, Web jet have contacted them for me on numerous occasions and have been told it could take up to 20 weeks for the refund! It has now hit the 20 week mark and Web Jet have now been told it would be a further 20 weeks on top of what I have just waited!

I have only ever received one email from qantas notifying me of the wait which was over 3 months ago and I have not received anything since then! No updates. Nothing! I have lost my job throughout this pandemic, it is coming up to Christmas and I need this money! You can’t treat people like this! I am taking this further with consumer affairs and I vow to never fly qantas again and will be telling everybody about my experience with qantas. I have received all refunds from the American Airlines I had flights booked with and the process was so easy. Yet our “trusting” Australian airline is treating us like this! Be careful of qantas and don’t ever fly with them if you don’t have to!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Last Nov I bought 2 return tickets to LA for our wedding in Aug 2020 in Vegas, well covid hit and our trip had to be canceled. Qantas canceled the flight. That was in July 2020. Was told a refund would take till Nov 2020. That was 15 weeks to wait. I got an email from customer service saying the refund had been paid to my account, that was on 5th Nov 2020. I have rang them. 8.5 hrs on hold, when I eventually got thru I was told the money would be in my account the next Friday. That was 4 Fridays ago. As today is now Friday 20th my bank has West Pack has informed me that Qantas has stopped the payment. WTF Qantas and Alan Joyce. Hope you enjoy my $2000.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I understand that Qantas has been hit hard by the pandemic but so has ordinary people like myself who have lost their jobs and now trying to make ends meet. It took seconds for Qantas to take my money and also seconds for them to cancel my flight, without explanation. Now it's going to take several weeks to get my money back? Shame on them. I have sent several messages on Facebook (which they keep deleting) and emails but they won't budge on taking at least 12 weeks to process a refund request when they canceled the flight in the first place!

Qantas author review by Erika Armstrong

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.

• Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.

• Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.

• Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.

• Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Qantas Company Information