2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

Qantas Reviews

Original review: June 1, 2020

Airline stewards who treat people of ** differently from **, should NOT be working in an AIRLINE industry of all places. I flew with Qantas within Australia in May 2020. On my flight, when the morning tea trolley came down the aisle, I was intentionally missed. After a long time, the same steward walked up the aisle, and when he returned I waved him over, to say that I did not receive any morning tea. He responded with "OK". He then went and fetched it and brought it over, he didn't even apologise. I believe this was fully intentional, that he missed me on purpose because I am of Asian heritage. I find it absolutely disgusting, that this airline could hire people like this. If he treats me like this, he will likely be treating other people of Asian ethnicity in the same vein. An airline/customer service is a completely inappropriate workplace for a racist.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Qantas is most arrogant and hypocritical company in the world. This airlines has not any office in Sydney, the website did not provide any useful information and waiting time on the phone to get customer service is 3-5 hours. Qantas did not advised passengers, that a Covid test is required for flights to Thailand. On March 27th during the check-in at the Sydney Airport the Qantas staff asked me firstly to provide a Medical Certificate from the airport medical center which cost 95$ and which was completely unnecessary because when I brought this certificate, they asked me to provide a Covid test and I was denied boarding as nobody advised me to bring this test to the check in procedure before.

All passengers' rights were grossly violated and as I asked the Qantas supervisor about the passengers' rights according to Montreal Convention 1999, he in a boorish manner ordered me to leave Qantas area. As a result I lost my ticket for the connection flight from Bangkok to Europe. To my complaint Qantas replied that it was not their duty to warn passengers about check in requirements. You have to be the last idiot to deal again with a company that hypocritically calls itself "spirit of Australia".

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2020

Qantas has 2 different rules. 1) when I cancel my flights and I'm lucky to get a voucher for next flight(s) or 2) when Qantas cancelled your flight you get a refund! Big difference. My wife and kids booked a flight to Thailand at the beginning of the Corona epidemic. Numerous times Qantas has sent emails to take our "best" opportunity is to cancel my flight and get a voucher. But I never cancelled my flight, Qantas cancelled the flight and according to their website I'm entitled to a REFUND not a VOUCHER. Big difference especially in these times I rather have some extra money in my bank account and not a (useless?) Voucher. Nobody knows when this Corona virus is going to end. With a voucher issued at the time you "booked" your flights I might miss out, also do not know if I have the opportunity to fly at that stage. QANTAS TRIES TO FORCE THE VOUCHERS AND NOT GIVE A REFUND!!!!

Original review: March 21, 2020

Qantas using COVID-19 to gouge Australian passengers in their time of greatest need. My wife and I are angered and disgusted with our so called ‘national carrier’ for profiteering from travelers’ misery, fear and insecurity during the Coronavirus crisis. In late February, we set off flying Qantas for a 6-week skiing holiday in Colorado. Three weeks into that trip, on Saturday the 14th March, it was announced that all Colorado ski resorts would close the following day due to the fast spread of COVID-19.

We felt scared as news got worse with every passing hour, the pandemic crisis deepened and there was talk of a ban on domestic travel in the United States, and reports of “Qantas to slash international capacity by 90 per cent from end of March” (our original flight was to return to Australia in April). The following morning a story in the SMH reported, The Department of Foreign Affairs advises “If you're already overseas and wish to return to Australia, we recommend you do so as soon as possible by commercial means”. What’s more, my wife and I are in the age group of most concern. So, naturally, we decided we had to get out of America as soon as we could.

Obviously everyone else felt the same way. All Qantas contact systems in America crashed. There was no call-back service. We spent between 4 and 6 hours in phone queues on multiple occasions and trying various phone numbers. Each time we were unsuccessful - the phone line would drop out, or after 6 hours we would give up. And infuriatingly, the website was only useful for cancelling flights, not for changing flight dates. So for us, it was useless.

On Monday 16th after another 4-hour wait, we finally got through to Qantas on the phone only to find to our amazement that in this time of unprecedented crisis for frantic travelers, Qantas had no compassion for our dire circumstances and only seemed intent on profiting from our precarious situation. We note that most of the American airlines introduced a policy to waive ticketing change fees. But not Qantas!

Qantas took advantage of our vulnerability to extort $5800 to change our ticket date. We simply needed to leave America ASAP before President Trump banned domestic travel which would have stranded us in Colorado indefinitely. We had no option but to accept this outrageous fee. To rub salt into our wounds, Qantas erroneously booked us onto a cancelled domestic AA flight, which caused enormous stress and another 4-hour phone queue trying to get it sorted out. If I hear that crackling, distorted wait-music again, I will definitely cry. And to top it all off... on the flight from Dallas to Sydney, Qantas lost our luggage in entirety, causing further delays and anxiety.

Original review: March 15, 2020

Ring the Qantas HelpLine and you are confronted with a 90 to 150 minute wait time. No changes are available online for flight changes or cancellations despite text messages saying this is possible. Look at the multitude of complaints here. These monkeys just don’t care.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Original review: March 12, 2020

Sorry for the long rant, my recent trip was filled with several mishaps from Qantas and it is worth a read 'til the end for the worst parts. Overall my experience with Qantas has been extremely disappointing. The customer service phone line wait was stated as 1-1.5 hrs, but in reality I waited over 2.5 hrs only to be met with cold, insincere service. No apology for the long wait and a tone of annoyance that it was difficult to hear me over a crackly line. I was due to board an international flight in 1 hour by the time I was on the phone, but I was nowhere near the airport as I had to change my flight last minute. Although the issue was eventually resolved, it was not timely in any way and I had been trying to contact since the night before the flight, to no avail.

Aside from the poor customer service treatment over the phone, at the airport there are hardly any staff even at peak times. I had to get a special tag for my oversized luggage before checking it in, which usually takes about 30 seconds. At Sydney airport (the busiest hub for international flights in Aus) there was ONE staff member for the entire international check in area at 9am! There was a line of about 25 people for the information desk as this was the only staff member available in a sea of self-check-in computers. I waited 45 minutes to spend 20 seconds with the staff member getting my special tags. It was fortunate that I had allowed ample time before my flight otherwise I would have probably missed it, and there was no one else to even approach to ask to be moved up. Again there was no apology or acceptance for the issue, just an air of "it's not our fault".

This was all after my flight from Sydney to LA was delayed again and again and finally cancelled (after 5 hours of delays) due to engineering faults discovered only 20 minutes prior to boarding! How can a plane which has been sitting in a hangar overnight, and then brought to the gate 5-6 hours before departure, only have engineering faults picked up when all the passengers are through customs and at the gate, literally lining up to board?!

Once the flight was finally cancelled, the staff didn't even give proper instructions of what to do, the Sydney airport staff had to pick up the slack and process us all out of the airport. Again, we were met with a huge line of everyone who was supposed to be on the A380 flight and justifiably flustered staff trying to sort out accomodation for the approximate 2,000 customers affected. This debacle for both customers, and the staff who were actually doing their best, could have all been avoided with proper protocols and staffing in the first place.

Overall, I don't blame the Qantas' staff for the bulk of the issue, they are understandably stressed and fed up when they are dealing with more than their fair share of customers. The issue lies deeper in the corporation with not enough emphasis placed on customer experience, particularly in accessibility to staff and efficiency of processes. I was even shocked to discover the leg space on this long-haul flight was small enough to have my knees against the seat in front for the entire flight (I'm only 5'10").

It seems like Qantas are no longer concerned about being the premier airline of Australia, choosing to focus on profit and budget cuts rather than providing the premium service they were once known for, and might I add still charge for. They are clearly riding on the back of their previous reputation, but I don't see that lasting long the way things are going. My advice is to choose Virgin, or, if you have to fly Qantas, plan ahead and try not to have any specific requirements or questions, you'll save yourself the stress and headaches.

Original review: March 10, 2020

Flying back from Auckland on QF120 to Brisbane Qantas had put a extra row of seats in (I think row 30). All the other economy seats were then very cramped. I am 6 feet 3 inches tall and I had to take all the magazines etc out of the seat back in front and I was left with a criss cross pattern on my knees from the rack, I was unable to get my legs under the seat in front and the tray table would not come down to a flat position because of my knees making for a hard 'meal'. Plus the man in the seat in front had to endure my knees in his back and was unable to recline his seat back, the stewardess told me that this is only on the 737 fleet. It's odd that Chinese and Indian airlines have more legroom, plus The Qantas customer service web site is at best very very slow, I would have thought 5 weeks was enough for some answers!

Original review: March 7, 2020

News flash - Black Hole Located - it’s in the Qantas Customer Service Department Frequent Flyers. I implore all frequent flyers to check their statement for frequent flyer & status points for August 2019 & September 2019 flights. 4 members of my family have not received the correct points & despite claiming through their website, emailing through their contact us page & also emailing to their frequent flyer email directly - the response is non existent. Let me stress we have supplied boarding passes, itineraries & also a screen dump from our travel agent's system - but NOTHING.

In some cases we have received points for part of the trip but not all. In other cases - none - hence my warning that they have a major system issue - & not in favour of customers! This has now been ongoing for over 3 months & there just seems to be a complete disregard for loyal, platinum status members which is truly devastating. I have never considered any other airline in over 20 years but in light of this disregard it is time to move on - sadly Qantas you are in no way customer focused & do not even live up to your own website’s published information. Very UnAustralian indeed.

Original review: March 4, 2020

Very unhelpful customer support and crashing site. I did the huge mistake of selecting a Qantas operated flight with American Airlines form Dallas to Sydney. I am unable to get seats assigned and after waiting on phone for an hour and 45 minutes I was told just to head to Airport to get my seat assignment. I will not be traveling Qantas after this experience. Their website is one of the most clunky and unhelpful. This should be a case study for colleges to show students how not to design and run a website or web enabled business processes.

Original review: March 1, 2020

We booked and paid for premium economy seats to fly from Melbourne to Los Angeles and return. We requested an upgrade which usually is given if there are seats available. We were sent a text to say that we were not successful as Business class was full. At checkin I asked again if business class was full and was told yes they were fully booked. We had family and friends in business class who came down to see us and said there were 6 seats empty in business!!!! How can Qantas truly offer a service and then clearly lie to you more than once!! We have more than enough points for the upgrade. If they were never going to give it to you then why offer the service!!

Qantas author review by Erika Armstrong

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.

• Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.

• Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.

• Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.

• Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Qantas Company Information