1.17/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

141 Qantas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

So Qantas stole me $1212. They made me bought 50000 Points to upgrade to business class then a day before flying they advised me that the upgrade was unsuccessful and didn't pay me back! Isn't they recredit me the 50000 points to use within a year with them or British Airways. It's a scam and they take make clients hostage! I tried to get the help of the airline customer advocate ** but Qantas refused any way to pay me back! This should be told to everyone thinking to upgrade any flights. Qantas doesn't allow you to buy it simply with a credit card, instead you need to buy Points!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

My wife and I had booked and upgraded our tickets from Perth to Melbourne 8 months prior to our departure. We were scheduled to fly out at 5:30AM but got a call at 7PM the night before telling me that our flight had been delayed and we were now flying out at the later time of 11:20AM. This meant that by the time we landed we missed out on an entire day.

After the phone call I went online and lo and behold it says our original flight is still leaving at 5:30AM. I rang Qantas straight back and after being on hold for 20 mins I got hold of a customer service rep who admitted after some pressing that the flight had actually been overbooked and we had been moved to a later flight to accommodate the overbooking. This is completely unacceptable and is incredibly suss business practice. Will never bother with Qantas again. They knowingly overbook their flights and then move passengers as they please with no regard for the inconvenience caused.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have had no issues with Qantas as an airline until today. My children were Scheduled to arrive back home in SYD this morning on QF140 from NZ at 8:30am. Received a message at 5:32am from Qantas Airways advising a flight change and they will now be arriving to SYD on QF142 at 10:15am. So I Picked up my children from the airport and was Pissed off with what they put my kids through.

They had stopped my kids from boarding their scheduled flight because my daughter was told she had to be 18. My daughter is 16. By Qantas policy she is fine to travel as a supervising adult for her brothers so because of one person's stupidity and stopping her for no actual reason my Children had to wait an extra 1hr 55min for the next flight when they had arrived to the Airport at 3am. At this stage my daughter was so emotional. Because of one guy's actions we now have to wait till 4pm for QF144 to collect my kids' baggage so wasn't expecting this to happen.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

On day of travel, Qantas canceled 2 flights out of BNE on 16th December. NO REASON given. It seems once you have purchased your tickets they could not care less about their traveling passengers. Check in at BNE airport. Booked luggage straight through to Hawaii (proof of luggage ticket available). Due to the cancellation of our flights, we were issued new boarding passes but luggage tickets were not given for updated flight number. Concerned, onboard flight and asked uncaring and self absorbed female stewardesses on Flight QF547 whether we would have sufficient time to get to International as we had 1 hour to get there. I mentioned that due to the cancellations we were behind and if they could do anything. They continued to advise we will have time - TEACH THESE PEOPLE ABOUT TIMING AND SCHEDULING PLEASE!!!

Arrived SYD and ran to GATE 15. We were stopped because we did not have boarding passes - advised BNE told us to go straight to Hawaiian Airlines and they will be there. After 20 minutes of arguing and the ground crew not caring about the situation, we were advised by these people that Hawaiian had canceled our booking because we were late - BECAUSE OF QANTAS. Then we were advised by these incompetent people that our luggage was on the carousel downstairs and we should go and get it and go to the customer service counter. They had advised that Peter ** a supervisor had told them to send us to Customer Service.

By this stage it was nearly 2200 and our International flight left at 2140. I went to customer service and my sister went to collect the luggage. The female at customer service was so preoccupied talking to her colleague that I interrupted them coarsely and told them to arrange accommodation and transport to the hotel. Asked to speak with Peter ** to which a response 'there is no need.' At this stage after dealing with his staff members for nearly 2 hours it was clear that Peter ** could not be bothered coming and talking to customers, having difficulty and left us in the hands of staff who really need to take a Dispute Resolution Course in handling Customer Concerns.

My sister went downstairs to the carousel we were advised to go to, only to find NO LUGGAGE. My question at this point - DOES QANTAS REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING? After going back and forth to Customer Service we finally had a staff member that knew a little bit about the role she is being paid for and found our luggage - which was at the International QANTAS counter - SERIOUSLY!!! She also advised that Qantas would get a courier and send our luggage to the hotel first thing in the morning. WHAT COULD GO WRONG??? Had no overnight items, pyjamas, toothpaste/brushes etc and was advised by QANTAS that they had run out of over night packs - CONVENIENT!

At hotel nearly midnight had to make international calls to change accommodation and car hire. We were advised by the car hire company that we had to cancel the whole booking and rebook - costing us an addition $130.00 and having to pay the whole amount up front of $584.64. Lost one night's accommodation at a total cost of $550 because we were not there.

Remember I asked what could happen when QANTAS was organizing our luggage to be sent to the hotel? WELL let me tell you what happened. IT DID NOT ARRIVE and when we eventually went to the international check in for QANTAS, promptly advised, "QANTAS does not do that and I don't know why you were told they did." Luggage not there and they could not find the luggage as we were not given updated luggage tickets. We went to customer service, baggage claim etc and when we advised that our International flight was in 5 hours and we started getting irate, did they pick up their speed. Finally we had to give them a description of the luggage for them to actually find it. NOT ONLY INCOMPETENT BUT UNINTERESTED.

To rub salt on the wound, when we went to collect the bags (when they finally found our luggage after 24 hours) from the 'back room area', we were TOLD by the older lady that we should correctly label our luggage. I promptly advised her that if QANTAS had of done what they are in business doing, then we would not be standing there in front of her being 'lectured' by a woman who not only could not crack a smile, but no apology or care whatsoever only to be told essentially the loss of luggage was the customers fault!!! REALLY.

A MESSAGE TO QANTAS - we not only lost a complete day of our holiday but we also lost monetary value as well, from pet care to accommodation and holiday pay. READING THE ABOVE - do you really believe this is the way an airline should be operating and are you happy with your staff members NOT providing the BASIC customer service needed to keep traveling customers happy using your carrier? My Name is Penelope ** (MBA..MDR) and I am happy to talk to a QANTAS representative about this. I will also speak to my travel agent Flight Centre who booked all flights for me and advise her of the issues we had.

EVIDENCE CAN BE PROVIDED ON THE ABOVE INFORMATION.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

No reply from Qantas on the following: On Sunday 23 December 2018 between 8:30 and 9:30 the following incidents occurred at Sydney International Airport Assistance Desk: A young lady of Asian appearance helped me obtain a wheelchair for my mother's assistance. She informed me that I'll be able to assist my mother, at the gate, up until she departs. I was later informed by another staff member that, that will not be possible. This caused my mother to be very anxious and distressed.

Upon standing in the queue, I noticed that there was only one person checking people in, while there were 7 behind the desk. I filmed this. The staff also proceeded to pick foreigners out from the queue behind me to assist them first. I felt discriminated against. Why is this a Qantas procedure? Suddenly a very aggressive customer service agent, Vicky **, appeared and very rudely insisted that I delete the footage and was not allowed to film. Later, after advise, I found that I was allowed to film, as this is not a security area. Privacy Act.

I attempted to explain to Vicky ** that there is only one person assisting while 7 behind the desk, while Vicki proceeded to loudly and publicly discuss their staff's unfortunate position as having to work during the Christmas period. She also stated that Qantas were understaffed. I find this hard to believe as there were 7 people behind the desks. If it is the case that Qantas was understaffed, it reflects badly on Qantas that you failed to put on enough staff as you should be aware of the busy period of each Christmas period. It also reflects badly on Qantas, that a staff member of Qantas discusses the staff issues, and how hard the staff finds it to work during this period, with a complete stranger and in such an aggressive and public way. This should be an internal Company issue and not be discussed with the general public. Imagine if the media was to obtain such matter!

Vicki ** proceeded to bombard me with her explanations in an aggressive way and I believe in an attempt to make me feel bad in causing the staff to have extra work to do. She did not give me a chance to discuss this with her as she proceeded to talk over me. This made me believe that she doesn't care about customers service and assistance. Vicky ** was literally screaming at me.

The situation became so bad that I had to put my hand up and ask her to be quiet, leave me and move away. This caused Vicky ** to get even more aggressive and she took my mother’s plane ticket, believing it was mine. I informed Vicky that this was not my ticket and that I'm not traveling, but just dropping off. Vicky then threatened that she was going to report me. I assured her that this incident will also be reported from my side. Threats can be very dangerous and can lead to criminal and Legal action!

All of this happened while my elderly mother had to look on in shock. I was very worried about how my mother would fare on the flight after witnessing this and also because I could not then comfort her and put her at ease, before the flight. I believe there was NO duty of care on the side of Qantas staff. My mother is from South Africa and asked if this is how things are done in Australia. Your staff's actions show Qantas and Australia in a very bad light. I am sure this is not the image you want to portray to overseas guests.

I've asked the assistant, that rolled my mother away, to ensure that she goes to the toilet before boarding, as she is elderly and I am not with her to help out. This is just embarrassing that a stranger has to take my mother to toilet. This is absolutely NOT acceptable to me as I could have been there to help her, but was not allowed to stay with her until she boarded! I was worried and distressed as to whether my mother would be treated properly, after the treatment I have just received from Qantas customer care. I am still distressed over this!

After my mother was taken away to the boarding area, I asked to speak to Vicky ** again, as I felt very unhappy about what occurred. When Vicky ** appeared, I asked her calmly why she was so rude to me and if it was because I dared to complain. She then proceeded to bombard me with the same excuses about the terrible position the staff is in and that how did I dare to put my hand up when she spoke. Vicky proceeded to talk over me again. I then had to cut in and informed her that I had to put up my hand as she was not giving me a chance to speak, just as she was doing now. This seems to calm her down a bit, giving me time to explain that even when I'm on holidays, I still have to take work home and do not have the luxury of being able to "cut off" from work, while I'm on leave and that I'm not complaining about my situation at work at all, as I'm too happy to have a job.

I ask that you investigate this matter of your staff and look into this, especially the aforementioned Vicky **, who seems to have anger management issues and lack people management skills. I want an assurance from Qantas that this type of incident would not occur again as my husband and I are planning to travel to South Africa in September 2019 and want to consider my airline options. Please advise me of your investigation and its outcome.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Flight was cancelled 4 months ago due to Emirates stop flying to Colombo. Ticket was issued by Qantas and they failed to reschedule 2nd leg of journey from Singapore to Colombo which was operated by Emirates. When we arrive to airport told this was cancelled more than 4 months ago however Qantas failed to re-schedule with another airline.

Qantas changed ticket and re-scheduled flight however as a result was waiting for more than 11 hours at Singapore. With Initial schedule transit time in Singapore was only 3 hrs. This was gross negligence by Qantas staff. Failed to re-schedule flight with appropriate transit time as per originally booked. When we have requested some refreshment at Singapore airport this was declined by Qantas customer service officer at the Sydney airport. We have been travelling for Sydney to Colombo every year and Qantas has been the preferred Airline. This experience has dented confidence in Qantas airline and service, we will not be using Qantas as travel airline in the future.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Really feel as though the $3,400 (AUD$) I paid for Dreamliner economy (sardine tin class) return PER-LHR wasn’t worth such exorbitant price tag. Unacceptable in regards to painful cramps experienced in inner thighs, all down legs and knees due to passengers reclining seats and unable to even normally get out seat without stumbling, falling about because of 3 reclined seats in front. No snack machine easy access although I saw other passengers on middle/right seats getting ferried snacks/wine...etc from cabin crew. When I finally was able to stipulate to the 2 passengers next to me that I have to get out stretch my legs go to toilet then snack machine was empty.

Maybe just rub my face in it Qantas/cabin crew and bring me a tin of crushed sardines as a snack! I don’t think anyone gives a stuff about DVT on Qantas Dreamliner. Stuck in the same cramped cattle class position for 8-9 hours straight. Idiot looking passenger doing stretching exercises while waiting for toilet I see near spacious midsection of plane just to rub it in people’s (mine) faces. Idiot women next to me just as irritating just took their sleeping pills I saw and slept through nearly all of it. Total disgusting ripoff $ paid for this rtn “nightmare liner” flight.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Last Sunday we were on the 17 hour, non-stop Perth to London flight. This plane should be called the stench-liner because the constant stench of fart is enough to make you gag. Thankfully we were not right next to the toilet but others were and I really felt for them. We wanted to select a seat not near the toilet so exactly 24 hours before departure, the minimum time stated by Qantas to select a seat, we found that seat selection was unavailable and we would be stuck with what we were allocated. I contacted Qantas and was told we could change our seat at the airport. Even after arriving a bit early to check in we were told seat selection was unavailable because the flight was full. Fortunately we were not right not next to the toilet but others were. One poor chap had his seat right next to the toilet door.

The thing that really annoyed me was that there were empty seats on the aircraft. There were at least three rows of three seats where one person was lying down and numerous empty singles. I mentioned the poor person sitting next to the toilet to two stewards and in reply one said I was entitled to make a complaint. I said they should do something now not react to a complaint.

Unless you are a tiny person the seats are too narrow and too cramped for such a long flight. Having the seat in front pushed back almost the entire flight made it very difficult to get out of the seat. The temperature, air pressure, and air content fluctuated a lot and I became very restless and itchy. The food and service was good but then we were towards the front of the trolley service. I cannot comment on what was going on further back or how many trolleys there were. I did notice one steward being very familiar with one passenger who had an empty seat next to them. I won’t fly with Qantas again.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I'm not even sure if this review will be seen, much less acted upon. I'm guessing it's just a portal/blog that goes nowhere but here goes. If other airlines flew my business routes you can bet I would ditch Qantas today, this minute, in a heartbeat & not give it a second thought! As a One World Qantas frequent flyer I'm not even sure how they survive in the industry. When I fly (which is obviously a great deal), I am truly embarrassed by the quality of service, aircraft, cabin crew, website... the whole 9 yards. Not one bit of Qantas is worth the effort. It truly is appalling that our national carrier is such a disgrace.

The customer service (cheap Filipino call centres) & chat section needs to be scrapped in favour of bringing service back to Australian shores. They'll say it's about saving costs. With the enormous profits the airline makes one would think they would invest in whatever encourages customer to fly with them. Providing substandard customer support, generally grumpy cabin crew, tired dirty aircrafts etc, etc is what they would prefer to provide. Gosh if only there was another airline that flew my routes. Qantas, shame on you! Yet another company that puts profit ahead of respect.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

As I write this I’m sitting here furious about the length of time it’s taking the Qantas support call centre to answer. Somehow my name has appeared differently when I open their site to check my flights but yet my paperwork when printed off is correct. I don’t want any hold ups when I get to the airport for my flight because of this and need to confirm all is ok. I waited 32 minutes online yesterday but no reply... had to go to get work. Tried later and was told to wait between 23 - 30 minutes. I’m now on the line 31 minutes and still no answer... Absolutely Appalling Service.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Too many problems to even begin with...and this is based on probably 30+ flights over the past year. Missed wedding, Lost baggage with no explanation, flight has not once ever been on time, ALWAYS delayed ALWAYS. Particularly from the Sydney airport. I will always go out of my way to book another airline now. I HATE Qantas.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I use Qantas airline & credit card and each is terrible. Speaking to someone takes a long time of waiting and there is no email option. I am embarrassed this is our contribution to the world's airlines. What a shocking brand!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

We have always flown Qantas and had good service for near 15 years now until the 5th of October 2018. We had a booked flight from Manila to Sydney in which we paid for our chosen seats. We arrived at the check-in after a long wait and were told our flight was canceled and we were booked on a Philippines Airways flight. We complained but were told we had no choice. We even asked for a next day flight but still no choice. We were headed to a domestic terminal which had substandard food and limited toilet access. We went through many security checks before I bought drinking water thinking we were in a secure area then to have all water confiscated again and we had no toilet access for maybe 40 minutes.

The PAL plane had no air vents and was very hot and uncomfortable inside. I requested water many times and they just served half a glass at a time. All drinks were warm. They did not refrigerate anything. It was a terrible flight. Qantas guarantees on their website that if your flight is canceled within 72 hours of departure they guarantee you seats on the next available Qantas flight. They breached their own guarantee so don't rely on their guarantees. We have complained for a week now with no reply even though their complaint section says you will get an email reply within 24 hours where you can attach documents. We had no emails or replies at all.

We missed our connecting flights and some Qantas staff were rude and made my wife cry after a wonderful holiday which was supposed to be special to us. We were not treated as Australian citizens but second class citizens. This experience ruined our holidays. We missed our connecting flight to Canberra and waited for 4 hours for the next flight when we had the urgent need to be home at the designated time. Their guarantees mean nothing. They can bump you to a substandard airline and not bat an eyelid. They just don't care anymore.

My advice is to find another airline with real guarantees such as Singapore Airlines for example. I am an Australian and have been proud to fly Qantas but to make my wife cry during a special occasion is unacceptable. We would have been happy to fly Qantas the next day but were told we had no choice and would forfeit what we had paid for. Good service... nah.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I had made a reservation to fly from Melbourne to Cairns next March. The flight was to leave at 8:30 am. A few weeks later they told me the departure was changed to 10:30 am. This was not acceptable as I have to meet a tour group in Cairns before noon. When I finally got someone on the phone they said it would take between 7-28 days to process my refund. I've called twice already and get nowhere. Each time I call, I'm on hold for 45 minutes, you cannot do anything on their website.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We booked online using ALL our points only to realise 5 days later we'd put our return date 14 April instead 14 March, simple human error. We had to pay $225 per person on 3 bookings & each booking had 2 people plus extra flight fees. It ended up costing $834 per couple/booking, and now they expect us to pay to sit together 2 now! I am totally shocked. I can't believe they treat anybody that way let alone Loyal frequent flyer members... OMG how disgusting!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

On our 30th hour at Melbourne airport with three kids 7,11 and 12. Waiting for our Qantas flight. No communication. No sympathy. No resolutions. I am horrified that in this day in age with all the technology and miracles that can happen that you don’t have a process and make kids sleep in an airport. Two days and no resolution?? Really? BELIEVE ME. IT'S NOT WORTH THE MONEY YOU SAVE FLYING A CHEAP AIRLINE. The pain and suffering for a family of 5 sleeping in an airport for two days. We should have flown someone else.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with Qantas. I am the Managing Director of a Sydney travel agency and I have been treated like absolute rubbish by Qantas (FOR MY OWN FLIGHT - I was double charged and this is my 4th call to Qantas). I have sent $1 million of revenue to Qantas in the last 12 years through my agency... And I even used to work for Qantas before that. This is absolutely disgusting by what I used to consider to be a good airline.

The Qantas Website was broken and showed "Error 3006" when a booking was attempted and said "Start Over". And then I booked again - I am a travel agency manager so I know exactly what I am doing. Then Qantas decided to charge for both. They agreed to a refund then said they can't do it since I took one of the flights (obviously I took a flight since I needed to fly!) but I certainly did not use both duplicate bookings, that would be impossible.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

The feedback form on the booking thing is literally broken. Here was my feedback. In the past I also had poor customer service, there was an issue on THEIR end. Lack of communication, then flights were missed and a family holiday was wrecked; lots of tears and upset. They offered a band aid solution of adding a few points to my account. The customer service person seemed to be reading from a script, not genuine at all. Virgin is better. I rated it 1/10 likely to recommend it to people. WHY: "The booking experience is honestly crap, the site is clunky and overloaded with stuff. I struggled getting through it. Like I didn't know what to look at because all the clutter.

Also why are these classic flights of 12,000 points not available on the app? It was saying 88k+!!! Add: also -- OMG I have all this feedback and it's telling me the questions are left unanswered. Even the feedback form is broken xD. Add: holy crap it's still doing it. Do you not want to hear my feedback? Or add: This is not working still and if it decides to work, whoever reads these will be in for a treat. Add: I GAVE YOU THE REASONS WHY! THIS BROKEN FORM IS REASON ENOUGH". SUGGESTIONS: "For a starters, allow us to go back a page? It made me start from the beginning just to check a minor detail on the previous page. Also I couldn't tell if the 25% discount was applied or not. Make that clearer."

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Just returned from a trip from Cairns to Canberra and vice versa with my husband who has a debilitating injury to his spine and needed assistance with mobilization onto and from the plane. At each airport we were given assistance with a smile, which certainly helped a lot. Thank you very much for your help.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I flew with Qantas to USA with my daughter who has gluten and garlic intolerances. The trip “high-lights” included a 14-hour failure of the on-plane entertainment system, a sub-standard LAX Qantas lounge, Qantas’ inability to cater for daughter’s food intolerances or to provide accurate flight information. We also flew on this trip with Delta, American Airlines, Alaska Airlines and American Eagle, and Qantas was by far the most disappointing. We did a similar international trip earlier this year with Emeritus. In comparison, the Qantas experience was disappointing and poor value for money. I have used Qantas as my primary airline for 40 years, but after this last trip, I need to seriously reconsider whether Qantas should remain my primary airline.

While I am disappointed with Qantas management and poor-quality control, I have nothing but praise for Qantas air staff who tried their very best to look after us and are amongst the best I have encountered anywhere. I have summarised the Qantas Experience below starting with the end of the journey and working back. As usual on this trip, the time shown in the Qantas lounge for boarding the plane from LAX to BNE was wrong, and when we arrived at the gate we found out boarding would be delayed for 40 minutes. After we boarded the plane we found that the entertainment system was dead, and the food offered to my daughter was cold and unappetizing.

When we earlier arrived at the LAX lounge it was overcrowded, the ladies’ toilets were dirty and the Wi-Fi unreliable. Even worse the only thing the staff could offer my daughter to eat was boiled rice. After I talked to the lounge manager, he kindly organized a burger for my daughter, but unfortunately, the meat paddy was burnt on the outside and bloody inside and tasted like burnt cardboard. At that point, I gave up on Qantas and took my daughter to dinner at PF Chang's located just outside the lounge, where we had a lovely meal in a relaxed, uncrowded and clean environment.

Our flight to the USA was domestic Brisbane to Sydney and international from Sydney. The Brisbane lounge was clean and relaxing, with suitable food available from my daughter. At the scheduled time displayed in the lounge, we headed to the boarding gate, only to find the plane had not yet arrived, and ended up waiting at the gate for an hour before boarding.

On the plane we found out that the request for a special meal for my daughter had been lost. Luckily the Purser was very experienced, and he got the pilot to radio ahead to make sure a suitable meal for my daughter was loaded onto the plane for the international flight. When we arrived at Sydney International our flight was shown as boarding, so we went straight to the gate, only to find a massive line and no one boarding. We were repeatedly told boarding was about to commence, but boarding didn’t start for over an hour. When we finally boarded we found that the plane was an older model with uncomfortable seats and a very limited entertainment library. Luckily, we were seated upstairs, suitable food had been arranged for my daughter, and the two hostesses were very attentive and looked after my daughter.

Booking the flights was difficult. I had Qantas points, and started looking for suitable flights bookable on points in January. After a couple of months of no suitable flights, I called Qantas to find out if suitable seats purchasable with points were likely to become available and was told that it was unlikely, so purchased seats for cash. I checked that all the seating was correct and that the correct meal had been requested for my daughter, and then moved on and started booking other items for our trip.

As is my habit, I rechecked the Qantas booking every 7 to 10 days, and everything was fine until 3 weeks before departure when attempting to access the Qantas site resulted in an error message. No one at Qantas could tell me what was wrong, but I found out from the news groups that the issue was new software loaded by Qantas IT. No warning or instructions were issued by Qantas IT, despite significant changes, one of which resulted in the special meal requests for my daughter being deleted. I tried to provide feedback on the issues above to Qantas, but the responses I got back indicated no-one cared and Qantas had no desire to improve their service.

As a comparison, there was ONE issue with my accommodation in Las Vegas. When I reported the issue, the hotel explained the cause of the error, and offered me a complimentary late check-out, a $150 credit voucher and waived $200 in service fees. Even though they failed to deliver what I paid for, they listened, explained what went wrong and compensated me for their failure. They were fair and I will book with them again.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I have traveled many times to the UK & this is the first time I felt a need to complain! I have sent 4 emails, with no reply up to press. I traveled on the Qantas Dreamliner to Heathrow on 15/5/18, traveling back on 6/6/18. The spiel was the seats were roomier & we could go to the galley to get refreshments any time. This is one of the reasons I wanted to travel on the new Dreamliner. The evening meal provided hours later, with one cup of tea. I asked several times when the tea would be coming, to be told it was coming. I don't drink soft drinks. After a few hours I got up to get myself a cup of tea to be ushered back out of the galley & told it's coming now. The tea was in a paper cup, which I hate, the milk poured from a milk bottle.

The chicken was dry, served up in a plastic container, no sides on the tray, bread roll, butter, nothing. Same with the dessert. In 17 hours I was given 2 cups of tea & two meals. I must have fallen asleep for a few minutes when the bacon baguette was served. I was so hungry & dry. I didn't like to request anything as one hard stare while asking for a cup of tea was enough. A male flight attendant dropped several meals on the floor, sliding off the trolley. He couldn't reach them so another passenger & I scooped them up for him. I'm sure my seat companion got one of those meals. He'd already dropped a bag of bread rolls & another attendant had to get some more. I think the staff was really inefficient.

I can't remember seeing anyone giving us the flight safety instructions on the way there & the captain hardly spoke. Even on the way back, to tell us not to worry when the plane dropped several feet. However, we did get safety instructions on the way back. I tried to change my booking coming back to Aus, as I wanted to avoid the Dreamliner. I got exactly the same, the Dreamliner a week later, to pay 220 pounds for the privilege. I kept my booking, as being a pensioner, that's money I didn't have. Coming back, slightly better service, exactly the same menu but this time they ran out of the chicken. I don't eat red meat or pasta. The attendant said they didn't have any more to offer me, but a stale roll with vegetables on it. Again, only 2 cups of tea in the 15 hour flight.

I'd advise Qantas to provide more chicken meals per flight, as it seemed to be the most popular. The ice cream we were given, was well received as I was so hungry again. I have traveled many airlines, to be given tasty meals & cups of tea or coffee every time the trolley came 'round. Presentation of the meals with several sides was 100% better than presentation of Qantas meals. I'm surprised Emirates is linked to Qantas, as I always say their meals are the best I've experienced. I traveled on Qantas many years ago & always said I wouldn't again, but I thought Qantas would have lifted their game with the new Dreamliner. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I hope I get an acknowledgment of this review this time...

Original review: July 11, 2018

I was pleased when our travel agent had booked our flights to Canada with Qantas. Being Australian I thought it would a pleasant trip but no it wasn’t going and traveling back. One of the female hostess was very forceful in getting me to recline my seat because I had asked the person in front to please put her seat up a tiny bit as it was in my face and I might say that my seat wasn’t upright. The passenger in turn complained to the hostess and then I was in trouble. I felt I was back in school being told very sternly to recline my seat, you could almost have a domino effect. The reason it time for sleeping!! Being as it was only 11 am Aussie time I wasn’t ready for sleep.

My husband and I were on the end each time of the food chain and therefore missed out on a choice each time. I must admit the head host was not happy seeing as he said we would be served first next time which didn’t happen. I must say we were given a bottle of bubbly and they did apologise. The staff never look happy and most of the women look like retirement age and were just going through the motions. In saying all this we paid for specific seats and we didn’t get them which was a waste of $140 for 4 of us. I won’t fly Qantas again in a hurry that’s for sure and I flown international regularly and this is my first complaint.

Original review: July 8, 2018

After 2 months of back and forth with Hooroo and customer care, I wrote my full story to customer care hoping they may be able to help. All I ever got back from anyone was a generic email. Finally after 2 1/2 months I got a half-hearted, "Sorry, but we can’t help you. You have to go through Hooroo." We finally got our $128 back for phone calls made to sort everything out. We are absolutely disgusted with the pathetic service Qantas has given. Nobody we spoke to (bar Kelly) helped us at all. The more they ignore, the more I am determined to get my story out there. This is not acceptable and you need to stand up and fix your company. Here is the letter I sent to customer care and I’ll put the reply (which took about 2 weeks) under that. I’m sure if I was the CEO of a major company I wouldn’t be writing this. Remember this has been going on for nearly 3 months.

"Thanks for passing that on. I am just looking at who this is addressed too. “Qantas CUSTOMER CARE”. I’m not sure how much you care. Let me tell you the story, I’m not sure if Hooroo is run by Qantas, nobody will answer that question. So I’m not sure how committed you really are. We recently decided to take a once in a lifetime family holiday to the US of A.Our kids aren’t getting any younger and we wanted to share this experience with them. We were talked into going with Qantas, so we bit the bullet and booked with our agent. We’ve never flown with Qantas, but we have flown with Jetstar a few times and that has never ended very good. I must say, you lived up to your reputation. Everything went according to plan. On time, great service, good food and entertainment.

As you can imagine, before we left we wanted to pay and organize as much accommodation and adventures as we could. My wife was prompted by your company through your FFP to have a look at Airbnb. So she ended up booking and paying for accommodation in LA. Thankfully only this once. We left the beautiful Hawaiian islands and headed to Los Angeles. As you can imagine, it was an eye opener for our children. By the time we got to our accommodation we were ready to get our key and settle in and organize our adventures for the next few days. We tried ringing the owners with the phone numbers YOU provided us with, to no avail.

After being stuck on the street with nowhere to go, we managed to get into the building and talk to the manager and she said she had no idea what we were talking about. She did not want to help us what so ever. We tried both the numbers YOU provided and when my wife eventually got onto someone, they said they didn’t even have dealings with Qantas. They did not have our confirmation number registered and did not know why we were ringing them. Fortunately, they were very accommodating and gave us phone numbers to try and sort this out.

Now, where we were, we didn’t have very good coverage on our phones as we were depended on wifi. My wife Sharlene and I were doing our best to try and sort it out. We tried multiple numbers given to us by the very obliging americans. But unfortunately we got nowhere. After my wife broke down in tears, which broke my heart and made me very angry. I really wanted to have this fixed now. She felt like she had let the whole family down, we decided to walk the streets ( at sunset ) with our children and try to find some accommodation to stay for the night. Thankfully we had help from the locals and found somewhere to stay

At this stage we were pretty damn angry. We were going through emails, confirmation notices, I was emailing Qantas, trying number after number when finally at around 11pm LA time I got onto a young lady in Australia that got the ball rolling. It was to late for her to ring anyone in the States so she said the team in the morning would look after it and call us first thing. Luckily we didn’t waste our day waiting for that call. We ended up ringing and explained the situation and he said no one could get in contact with the owner.

So we were wondering how on earth we were meant to do it. Nothing was said about a refund so we asked the question and he said he would find out and ring us back. Thankfully someone contacted the owner and a refund was agreed on. (no brainer really, we shouldn’t of had to ask). We also asked about the phone calls we had to make to try and resolve this, and that is where we still stand today. We are debating over $129 bill. Very silly from a multi million dollar company. We are more upset that no one has taken responsibility for this. We just get the generic reply from Hooroo and yourselves. I drum into my children that if they stuff up or break something they need to own up to it, it's a lot easier in the end. Now they ask me why should we do that if a big company like Qantas don’t have too. I shouldn’t have to be answering questions like that.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the emails of all the people that matter.
1. Why are there no phone numbers on confirmation receipts that actually link your customers with the owners?
2. Has the accommodation we booked been taken off your list?
3. Is Hooroo run by Qantas or a separate company?

Please don’t send your generic response to me. I’m not interested in that. Don’t send this to Hooroo either, they don’t care. Give me some answers."

THIS IS THE REPLY: "Thank you for reaching us and please accept our apologies with the delay of our response regarding your concern. We appreciate you providing what you have recently experienced with the accommodation that you have made. We have already tried to get in touch with Hooroo to be able to provide some answers regarding this. Hooroo is under Qantas and I hope you understand that the have their own department and support. We here in Customer Care are able to help you regarding your post bookings experience (flight, on board) so we hope you understand that we are unable to provide further answers as we are unable to access it here on our end. The best we can do is to get in touch with Hooroo to further help you.

We have also requested for them to contact you directly regarding this matter. Alternatively, you can reach them through chat, email or phone at 1300-738-206. They are open 7am to 10om AEST, 7 days a week. To know more, you can kindly click here. On behalf of Qantas, please accept our apologies and we hope this response is of assistance to you."

Original review: July 6, 2018

I tried to book a return flight from Brisbane to Melbourne for 13 - 15 July on 1 June using the Qantas website on my phone. The website crashed before I received booking confirmation. I checked my Qantas account and the booking didn't show up so I reprocessed the sale. At the conclusion of the second process I received two confirmations ** and ** for the same flight. 24000 points were also deducted from my FF Points for each flight (i.e. 48000 in total) and $72.88 charged to my credit card for each flight (i.e. $145.76 in total).

I emailed and rang Qantas to advise of the error that evening and was advised that one of the bookings had already been reversed. I checked my FF Account and bank statement two weeks later and the booking had been reversed but the credit of points and money had not been processed so I rang Qantas and was advised it would be sorted.

I checked again a week ago and noted it still had not been sorted so I rang Qantas again. Again I was told it was being processed. I've since written to Qantas but received no response. It is now over a month since Qantas' website crashed and this error occurred and despite having contacted Qantas 4 times, Qantas has still not refunded my points or money. I have no idea how I get Qantas to refund me for their error. Talking to them certainly does me no good!

Original review: July 5, 2018

After 20 long years of being a loyal Qantas customer, I have completed more than 100+ flights with them internationally, I had 153,000 points removed from my frequent flyer account due to 'inactivity'. I tried to explain that this was because of I was pregnant and unable to fly, but this was no excuse. When I did fly again I was told my account would be restored. I completed a return flight from LAX to SYD and still now 1 week later I am being told that they are unable to give me back my points. I had saved these points for over 5 years, and am beyond disgusted by their level of customer service. They were totally rude, compassionate and simply do not value customer loyalty.

Original review: May 23, 2018

My wife and I were delayed 11 hours on a flight from London to Melbourne for which we are each entitled to compensation of €600. On the same holiday we were delayed five hours on another Qantas flight from Cairns to Sydney. We complained on our return in February but have received nothing from Qantas except a very brief acknowledgment. This is disgraceful and consequently no stars for Qantas and won't be using them again.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Been waiting for a refund for over 2 months now. Can't seem to get any answer from them whether this has been processed since the first conversation being advised by their agent that a refund is already processed and will be received within 10-14 business days. After getting back with them, all the response they can muster is "We are still looking into this for you"? Get your act together! you guys are a disgrace.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Until now my QANTAS APP still shows my departure flight is QF855 and I already booked my seat online BEFORE. But when I checked in, Qantas directly changed my flight to QF815 optionally and WITHOUT ANY EMAIL OR INFORM, it directly put off 3 hours and moved me to another flight? This is the first I experienced this. How dare an airline can do this?

Original review: March 31, 2018

I have flown with Qantas for many years. I am a frequent flyer both locally and internationally. Qantas repeated bad service, rude staff, really bad call centre (you can wait for over an hour), expensive loyalty program and uncompromising attitude towards its customers has finally put the nail in the coffin for me ever flying with them again. During flights I have spoken to Qantas staff about these issues. They tell me the company has a bad culture. Staff cut back causing lack of staff, they feel overworked and nobody listening.

My father recently flew Qantas after I suggested it. An email was sent to him the day before departure to say his flight had been moved forward by one hour. He is an older guy who does not check email on a daily basis. They then sent him on a 35 hour journey to Johannesburg. He started at Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth then onto Johannesburg. Totally unacceptable sending an older guy on such a journey. The Melbourne ground crew were rude to him. He lost his extra legroom seats we bought him. A total debacle. No apology. Alan Joyce is all about profit 900m this past year. Sayonara Qantas!

Original review: March 16, 2018

Paid for business with Emirates however they are in partnership with Qantas and two of our flights were with them. What a difference. They run out of beef, no bar area plane. Was 10 years old. Complete waste of money. Then I left my sunglasses on the flight. Waited 40 minutes to get through to their help desk. Was given a number for Heathrow lost property and they advised me they don’t deal with Qantas. Complete nightmare.

Qantas expert review by Erika Armstrong

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.

• Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.

• Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.

• Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.

• Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.

• Best for: Qantas is best for vacationers and business travelers going to or around Australia.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Qantas Company Information