3.3/5 (173 ratings)

About Qantas

Qantas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Original review: June 16, 2022

I attempted to book a flight for 21000 points to the Gold Coast and 9600 points back to Melbourne for the dates 30/06/22 to 03/07/22, on the 08/06/22. I selected the flights, followed the prompts with express checkout, hit submit and it spat me back out to the search page after showing me an error code. Now the flight was 11600 points. I selected it again and the same thing happened, this time now it went to 14000 points. I called 'customer care' and after being on hold for 45 minutes got through to someone.

I explained the situation. She told me to book the flight there and she would book the flight for 9600 back, as she couldn't book the outbound flight for some reason, so I did. She then proceeded to tell me that the flight back was not available. Weird, one the customer website, it was, in fact it kept editing the cost. Obviously some sort of glitch. She told me that she would figure out a way to book the flight for me and would call me back within 24 hours. I did not receive the call. The flight was not booked.

A couple of days later, I go through the same thing with the website, this time for a flight for 21000 points, which appeared to be available. Same thing, spat me out and the flight went up to 24000 points and then again to 27---. I called up again at 17:48 on the 14th of June 2022, was on hold for 25 minutes this time. I explained the situation again, and what happened on the last call. I said that I want this matter reviewed and escalated. A total of 54 minutes on the phone trying to resolve this issue. This woman had more attitude. We continued back and forth about the issues and how I can get a flight that is advertised etc. She went onto the website and looked up the flights, we described what we saw on the screen and she claimed that she couldn't see the flight that I could see, a Jetstar flight on the 3rd of July at 17:25.

I asked for a manager again and she told me that no managers were available. I also requested to leave a formal complaint and she refused to lodge it. In the end, she went quiet and then hung up. She literally pretended not to hear me (I had full bars reception sitting in my lounge room) and just hung up (too hard basket?) - shocking service.

I called back and this is the call that needs to be reviewed, I am hoping that compliance picks them up on this one. I started with requesting to speak with a manager. Anati told me that none were available but I can speak with her. I said that I wanted to formally escalate an issue and insisted that my issue needs to be escalated and dealt with by a manager. Throughout the next 1 hour and 11 minutes I continuously requested that this be dealt with by a manager. She persisted to tell me that there were none available. We went round and round in circles, me trying to troubleshoot why no manager had been available over a two hour period and constantly trying to get information about their customer complaint procedure, her dodging my questions.

We came to no resolution, I didn't get the flight I needed (the only on available on the Sunday was a connecting flight at the wrong time and I didn't get my formal complaint lodged. She notified me that she had been on the phone too long and that she had other customers to serve. I find this service, both online and by phone with their offshore call centre to be absolutely appalling and don't comply with Australian values nor Australian Consumer Protection laws.

Original review: June 7, 2022

My most dissatisfactory experiences started when in March 2022 I made a booking with a Qantas Call Centre Staff member utilising part of a Travel Pass from 2021 Flight Credits to book an airfare Darwin to Broome in Aug 2022. I thought this call went well and the booking was made, I have the Reference Number and all. About 3 weeks later whilst perusing my Qantas Freq Flyer App I noticed that that this booking was cancelled. I received NO communication from Qantas about this. On my FIRST phone Call to Qantas, I was advised that the cancellation was made due to non-payment! Being as a Travel Pass was used with Qantas Staff, I was incredulous! Then what happened....

So now:
- There are no flights left on the date I required.
- I have been charged for a Booking I don't have.
- 14 phone calls to request that this amount of $435.10 be reimbursed back on to my Travel Pass have gone unattended to!
- 4 different Staff Members have supposedly processed this request.... Nothing has happened!
- Several different staff have assured me the refund would ABSOLUTELY be processed within 48 hours!.... Nothing has happened.
- 4 different Staff have ABSOLUTELY promised that they will follow up with a Supervisor and call me back.... Nothing has happened!
- I have written a formal Complaint to Qantas.... Nothing has happened!

- I have wasted hours upon hours waiting for my 14 x phone calls to a) be answered b) staff address this issue.

Really Qantas??? What has HAPPENED to the great Australian airline that we all used to be proud of??? I am still waiting for something to HAPPEN....

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 30, 2022

My debut international travel experience has been left shattered and lead me to contemplate never traveling with Qantas ever again. I have been a gold member for the last 6 years and was excited to go on a new voyage. I have been in Thailand for 2 days and my bag has just disappeared between numerous carriages. I have emailed lost baggage constantly and still no one can find me bag. I have critical medication in my bag that I now find on day 2 is having a devastating effect on my health. My mental health is greatly affected and I am in a foreign country with nil assistance for me. All my essential medication is in my baggage.

All Qantas wanted in order to assist me was my baggage reference number which I didn’t have. Qantas advised I needed to fill in Qantas customer care form which I did multiple times to have the form rejected and not submitted each time. I have lodged a property irregularity report with Thailand baggage services and I have been told my baggage has been sent to ports with different carriers and no one can locate my bag. I am at a loss and struggling with this experience and hold Qantas 100% accountable from the hold up in Sydney, the late arrival in Brisbane before just making the flight to Singapore and then another flight to Bangkok. Waiting for my bag to come through the carrousel after 13 hours of flying to find out my bag never made it out of Brisbane after the first flight. Will someone take some responsibility for this behavior and help me as I am in a destroyed state of mind in a foreign country.

Original review: May 13, 2022

1. On my flight from Canberra to Sydney, the lifejacket fell out from under the seat and the seat squab seemed on the verge of collapse.

1. a. I was charged 100 excess baggage for my garment bag, which seems outrageous.

2. On my return, Sydney - Canberra: I checked in bags. Same issue with my suit, so I wait two hours in a queue to pay the excess. I get to the end, only to be redirected by a brusque (actually outright rude) woman to another queue to what is called a "kiosk." Actually, the "kiosk" is the automatic check in machine. There was a queue since a great number of them were not operational.
    2 a. I make the aeroplane with what I expect are minutes to spare, but there is a delay.

2 b. I board and yes, we wait in our seats with no air conditioning for another whole hour before the engines start.

The disregard for passengers -- except for their money -- is hard to stomach.

Original review: May 12, 2022

What a terrible service. Priced at a premium and the service provided is so less than acceptable, it is offensive. Filthy planes that are never cleaned, rude staff that do nothing, food that is served still frozen. Do not ever fly this airline. It is terrible, and they do not care. They offer no apology or service whatsoever. Alan Joyce should be deported back to the leprechaun colony. He has destroyed Qantas. Let us not forget how they unlawfully sacked all their employees. If they cannot treat employees well, what chance do customers have.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Qantas has to be the worst airline I have ever flown with. Paying a premium fee for a substandard service. Our flights were booked 7 months in advance and cancelled two weeks prior to departure via email. No options given. Just a notification of the flight we have been moved to 48 hours later. 4 hours on hold to speak with the most useless customer service team to attempt rebook another flight. Qantas could not accommodate with affiliate airlines that they have advertised and sold on their website. As we needed to arrive on the same day we had to have an extra 6 hours in transit. We paid an additional fee to have a bassinet seat and was told that they this would not be available on our rebooked flight.

Original review: May 3, 2022

I have purchased an overseas trip from Melbourne to Lyon back in January. This flight had a transit via Singapore and Frankfurt. I have just found out that my departure was cancelled and rescheduled to the 16th, a day later. Not only I have not been notified or informed about any changes but most importantly, none of the transit flights were updated accordingly. This is shocking. I only found out by accident while looking at my booking details a week before departure. This is a trip that was booked for many months to try to attend a family reunion after 4 years.

I now have to fly with a different airline, $1000 more expensive, on a different date. Not only your customer service has been appalling lately, which I can understand as we all struggled with Covid, but how do you possibly explain not letting people know that their trip is cancelled. Not only I expect a full refund but compensation.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Booked a flight through Qantas 6 months ago with two connections, they canceled the connections within 12 hours. Spent 9+ hours on hold. 6 months later they refunded to a non existent credit card and refuse to do anything about it. Robbed, both of money and time. Will never ever ever fly Qantas again, every experience has been a shocker.

Original review: April 26, 2022

I have $2,500 worth of travel credits with Qantas which I am trying to access to be able to visit our family in Australia after more than 2 years of being apart. Two of my 3 vouchers have been inactivated by Qantas for some reason, despite having received an email to say that they are valid until Dec 2023. In an effort to reactivate these vouchers, I have had 4 phone calls to Qantas where I spent 5hrs, 2hrs, 1hr and then 1.5hrs on hold, only to have been fobbed off each time. After the first call they asked me to fill in a customer care form requesting to reactivate my vouchers and someone would call back between 3 and 5 days. No call. I filled in another form. No call. I rang back (2hrs on hold) and was told by Sandy that she would call me back when the vouchers were reactivated. No call.

I rang back (1hr on hold) and was told by Jessica that she needed to contact the ticketing office when they were open on Monday and she would call back the same day. No call. So I called again just now (1.5hrs on hold) and was told by Maryanne that their system is down and it would take a week (!!!) to reactivate my vouchers and she will call me back. I am trying to remain hopeful and I am crossing my fingers for a resolution to this nightmare as I really want to see my family again and we need to book ASAP before the school holiday flights are booked up. I feel so angry and let down with Qantas. As the pandemic hit we opted to get credits instead of a refund as we wanted to help ensure that Qantas would stay afloat and still be around when things returned to normal. I wish I made a different decision now. :(

Original review: April 21, 2022

Spent 11 HOURS trying to process my credit voucher. I swear they make it virtually impossible to sort any issues so that they all go unclaimed. Had to phone on 3 separate occasions, each lasting between 3 and 4.5 hours, each time promised to call back but never did, hung up on me whilst placing me on hold and it still isn’t sorted. I will never fly with this airline again, how a company of this size can get away with this level of ‘service’ is beyond me, absolutely terrible.

Qantas author review by Erika Armstrong

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.

• Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.

• Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.

• Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.

• Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Qantas Company Information