3.7/5 (383 ratings)

About Qantas

Qantas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

It started out being a great experience booking our flights for the UK. Yes 25 hours seemed a little long but it's our honeymoon so what the heck. Since booking 6 months ago we have received three changes to our flights, which would be okay except for the fact that it has now blown out to 31 hours for a flight. You claim it is 90 minutes added for each stop to ensure baggage and everything is good. I say it is because you have not kept your eye on the ball when you let all the staff go. Can you try and limit the changes as this gets rather tiresome. I'd like to actually get there and home as per the agreed and stop losing all my precious time over there to being stuck in places for 2 and three hours.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

Booked through lastminute.com so when I called Qantas they told me tickets had not been issued 2 weeks before flight. Eventually found them. If you book outside Qantas they don't want to know you. Plane was filthy. My tray had smears and crumbs on it. Toilet paint and moldings deteriorated and foul. Seats were cramped.

Some passengers took off their masks and were not corrected by staff as they did no periodic checks. Food was abysmally bad and cheaply made with inferior Ingredients unlike Emirates. At the end of dinner service a stewardess walked around with a sort of bucket handing out Paddlepops would you believe?! We were flabbergasted. Very disappointing and truly outrageous as this company was bailed out by Australian taxpayers for Covid losses. Singapore airlines, here we come.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

My review touch on the following items:

- Poor/non existent customer service
    - Representatives lied to our faces
    - Qantas International number to call for support is DISCONNECTED
    - "Local" Baggage Services number goes straight to voicemail and you never get a response
    - Customer support "13 13 13" takes an hour to pick up and was very difficult to work with as it's off-shore with limited English. And then to tell us to 'resolve it online via portal'
    - They subcontract essential customer services like a. Baggage handling, call center support, Logistics and delivery, and as result they have zero control over resolving customer issues - but they save a buck, right?

- Luggage eventually turns up 5 days late thanks to a third party, but suitcases are damaged

How did this happen? We were informed mid-flight (from Melbourne to Sydney) that we had missed our connecting flight (Sydney to Los Angeles) due to a 2 hour delay in Melbourne "Frost on Plane" I believe. We were instructed to "collect our luggage at the domestic terminal, and check it in for our new connecting flight". Problem is our luggage never showed up! We were told to go to Luggage Services at the Sydney domestic airport, and sit on the tiles outside the door with 100 other customers waiting for luggage. How do they determine what your baggage is? By asking me to write on a little piece of paper what my suitcase looks like, next to my name after which they disappeared into the back for an hour at a time. So for 7 hours we sit on the ground and wait for news.

Seven hours later, we are told "We found your luggage and will check it straight through" - they lied. So we hop on our flight, and when we arrived in the US, surprise surprise, no luggage! We call the US Qantas Customer Support number - disconnected and not in service. We call to Australia, and it goes to voicemail. We try general customer support and after an hour we get a representitive telling us that this is a matter only handled online, and actually ends up dropping the call! So we call a second time, and another hour later they just state they can't do anything about delayed luggage.

Lucky, while we were sitting on the floor at the airport for 7 hours, I filled out an online Delayed luggage report, so I had evidence of the matter, however today, 19 days later, the report status still says "we are looking for your luggage, check back later" despite it turning up on day 5 via a third party courier, with one bag damaged. Since we've returned I have tried contacting Qantas for compensation via email, calls, Facebook, Messenger etc - no response, and no assistance. I have honestly never experienced such bad customer service, and am embarrassed that Qantas still represents "Australian values" in any shape or form.

Original review: July 31, 2022

Flew long haul with Qantas and Emirates in July 2022. Encountered serious problems on return leg and arrival at Melbourne. Missed my connecting domestic flight to Sydney due to utter chaos at Melbourne baggage collection and then a one hour queue to get through customs. On arrival at domestic Qantas was told I’d missed my flight and it was not their problem - it was Emirates as they were the carrier into Melbourne and more broadly it was the government’s problem due to poor resources in arrival terminal!! My contract and boarding pass was with Qantas, they shared the route with Emirates!! Emirates don’t fly domestic flights! I explained this to them but they were incredibly arrogant. No apology. Defensive attitude to the distress of 100s of other customers in the same predicament. No plan shared with us. We were told someone from Emirates would be talking to us in due course! Asked us to move away from their customer service desk!

Eventually, with no explanation, they started calling out names and allocated 5 customers to flights - by telepathy we were expected to understand they had changed their minds and were now taking responsibility! After this it was first come first served - chaos. Literally they called out who is going to Sydney - they saw my hand go up and picked me out first! When I was given a new boarding pass, I had 30 mins to check in my luggage, get through security and get to gate 21! Utter joke. Zero help in jumping long queues in luggage check in and security (queues snaking through the arrival hall). If I hadn’t jumped these queues I would have missed my flight. I shouldn’t have been placed in that position without their help but it reinforced the approach they had taken thus far - passing the buck.

A humble apology would have gone a long way. Passing the buck was unacceptable. A voucher for a coffee would have been welcome while you sorted out the mess, but instead you ordered us to move to the windows at the back of the arrival terminal! A coordinated plan of action was expected but was never shared. Chaos ensued, no support to navigate through security queues - you acted like bouncers in a night club! The slick spin you give related to being Australia’s national carrier is fantasy land. You don’t deserve our custom. BTW - a frozen paddle pop for dessert on the long haul flight to Uk smacked of being lazy and a cost cutting exercise - for the price we pay it's not acceptable and embarrassing.

Original review: July 27, 2022

Having no luck making an online reservation I called Qantas directly. The young person was offshore and very casual and unprofessional. He was circular in his approach and slowly made his way to sorting my reservation. My aim was to pay with frequent flyer points but he had difficulty making this happen. An hour later we had the date of the flights but not the acceptance of frequent flyer points.

Then I was suddenly and unintentionally (I think) transferred to another assistant. She asked me the same questions etc etc. believe it or not the same thing happened and I ended with a third assistant this time in another offshore location. She said I couldn’t use points but she completed the booking (it had now been 1.5 hours of my time on the phone plus an hour online) and she took my credit card payment. I asked for confirmation by email yet received none. Then.. Yep you’ve got it.. I was cut off and taken to the 3 question survey which I completed angrily. Then hung up on!!!!

I eventually found a complaints line, called them, also offshore, all trained the same way. He has sent me an email saying something “will be done”. He also told me the reservation hadn’t been “ticketed”. Each of the earlier assistants had my phone number, all said if we were disconnected they would call me but NO-ONE did. This doesn’t make us feel confident in Qantas in any way, shape or form. My credit card shows the money has been paid but I have NO tickets, no confirmation! Just $2931 off my cc!! And! There is no one here, ON SHORE, to complain to.

Travelling is meant to be enjoyable. So far, not. Do not fly Qantas. It is NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE. I am left with almost $3000 less in my credit card account, no confirmation email and many unfulfilled promises. I will take this matter to the Ombudsman. Qantas needs to change their practice back to one that they can be proud of. No wonder they are going downhill fast. I am one of several angry, discontented and disillusioned customers.

Original review: July 27, 2022

Out of all domestic airlines, Qantas is the most expensive with the most terrible service. After paying $600 for a one way flight to Hamilton Island, they lost my luggage and kept giving excuses that it was “school holidays” and “this happens all the time”. They advised I could purchase a few clothing items to get me through (no limit, just nothing too excessive) so I bought summer clothing + a bikini and thongs in total of $275. They promised if I kept my receipt I would get refunded for this amount. Now they are advising there is a $60 limit (this was never once mentioned by any of the Qantas staff I spoke with) this is so misleading, not only did they ruin the first two (out of 4 days) of my holiday, they are refusing to take accountability and give back to their loyal customers. Do yourself a favour and never fly with this airline again!!

Original review: July 21, 2022

I needed to rebook a flight so that it left from Wellington not Christchurch. I called customer care and they charged me $289.80 for the flight change, which money has been taken from our account. No confirmation of the flight change was sent to me. I called to enquire and was told that no booking had been made and that no money had been taken from our account, which was wrong as I had the bank details in front of me. The price of the change had risen to $444. Before I could book that I was disconnected.

I ran back immediately and was told that we could only purchase business class fares (for two) at $2500. The other option was taking a complicated early flight on the 23rd Wellington-Sydney-Melbourne costing us $332, which we had to pay in addition to the already paid $289.80 which Qantas kept on saying they had not taken from our account (but which they had) as well as two extra nights hotel costs. What I don't understand is how I can be charged for a service and then told the service is unavailable while refusing to return the money paid to obtain that service.

Original review: July 12, 2022

DO NOT FLY WITH QANTAS. Qantas issued me a 'flight credit' as a refund for a flight I had to cancel (I paid extra to book a ticket that permitted a refund). In theory, I am meant to be able to use this flight credit (approx $400) to purchase another Qantas flight (12 month expiry). However, they have made it literally impossible for me to actually use the flight credit. On 6 separate occasions, I have called the designated phone line and spent in total over 17 hours on hold. Each and every time I've reached someone they have said one of the following:

1) We can't process this now please call back later.

2) I need to liaise with another department please call back later.

3) There are no flights available (even though I provide them with an exact flight number for a flight that has seats available to be booked on their website).

4) Twice they have simply hung up after waiting for over 4 hours on hold each time.

5) On my final effort, I called and they said I had a $400 flight credit. They then said I couldn't book the flight I wanted and hung up. I called back and got onto another person. They said they checked my account and I had no flight credits and that they went back to the original booking and the terms and conditions did not permit a refund. They refused any further discussion and hung up.

Clearly, they are not only making it impossible to use the flight credit, but also resorting to deception and flat-out denying that I have a flight credit. They are effectively holding my money for ransom and are not providing the service. It is worth noting Qantas that "Consumer advocacy organisation Choice has filed a formal complaint with the ACCC after consumer surveys highlighted the “many obstacles” faced by Qantas customers seeking to cash in their flight credits."

Original review: July 10, 2022

Qantas cancels flights, puts customers into inconvenience, does not bother about customer comfort even if the wait time is more than 11+ hours which is after a long flight from Dallas to Sydney. Would never fly Qantas.

Original review: July 7, 2022

If I could give Qantas 1 star, I would - please learn from my mistakes and avoid flying with Qantas. I was scheduled to fly with Qantas from Auckland via Sydney to Gold Coast in late Feb 2022. I got a notification in late Jan 2022 that my flight details had been changed. What should have originally been a 4 hour 55 minutes flight was now delayed such that the full travel time would instead be 13+ hours with an overnight stopover in Sydney (with no compensation or coverage).

I decided to request a refund and Qantas confirmed it had been submitted on Feb 9. It is now July 7 and I still have not received my refund. I have called Qantas multiple times (usually having to wait at least 30 mins up to 3 hours). At the 2.5 to 3 hour mark, the phone line will cut off automatically. I have tried to also contact them via email and social media and I get no response.

Qantas author review by Erika Armstrong

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.

• Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.

• Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.

• Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.

• Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Qantas Company Information