2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.34/5

Qantas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

The way Qantas have treated us throughout this pandemic is absolutely disgusting! My flight was cancelled back in March due to the pandemic and my refund still has not been received. When I ring qantas they won’t talk to me because my flight was booked via Web Jet, Web jet have contacted them for me on numerous occasions and have been told it could take up to 20 weeks for the refund! It has now hit the 20 week mark and Web Jet have now been told it would be a further 20 weeks on top of what I have just waited!

I have only ever received one email from qantas notifying me of the wait which was over 3 months ago and I have not received anything since then! No updates. Nothing! I have lost my job throughout this pandemic, it is coming up to Christmas and I need this money! You can’t treat people like this! I am taking this further with consumer affairs and I vow to never fly qantas again and will be telling everybody about my experience with qantas. I have received all refunds from the American Airlines I had flights booked with and the process was so easy. Yet our “trusting” Australian airline is treating us like this! Be careful of qantas and don’t ever fly with them if you don’t have to!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Last Nov I bought 2 return tickets to LA for our wedding in Aug 2020 in Vegas, well covid hit and our trip had to be canceled. Qantas canceled the flight. That was in July 2020. Was told a refund would take till Nov 2020. That was 15 weeks to wait. I got an email from customer service saying the refund had been paid to my account, that was on 5th Nov 2020. I have rang them. 8.5 hrs on hold, when I eventually got thru I was told the money would be in my account the next Friday. That was 4 Fridays ago. As today is now Friday 20th my bank has West Pack has informed me that Qantas has stopped the payment. WTF Qantas and Alan Joyce. Hope you enjoy my $2000.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I understand that Qantas has been hit hard by the pandemic but so has ordinary people like myself who have lost their jobs and now trying to make ends meet. It took seconds for Qantas to take my money and also seconds for them to cancel my flight, without explanation. Now it's going to take several weeks to get my money back? Shame on them. I have sent several messages on Facebook (which they keep deleting) and emails but they won't budge on taking at least 12 weeks to process a refund request when they canceled the flight in the first place!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

After 6 months, 300 minutes on hold, being put ‘on hold’ indefinitely three times by Qantas staff, and finally receiving confirmation that my refund for two international business class tickets had been processed, I AM YET TO RECEIVE A PENNY FROM THIS UNSCRUPULOUS AND UNAUSTRALIAN CORPORATION. QANTAS have decimated a loyal customer base. No delays to executive remuneration. Just convenient delays to loyal customers refund and allegedly underpaying staff. This brand is ruined. Congrats to old mate Allan looks after himself Joyce. Good work mate.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Requested a refund mid July for flights from AU to Vegas and can’t go due to COVID. Qantas advised 12 weeks to process the refund of nearly $10,000 and now extend it for a further 8 weeks with no explanation other than they are business. How disgusting and they are holding people's money for no reason but their own gain.

Original review: June 1, 2020

Airline stewards who treat people of ** differently from **, should NOT be working in an AIRLINE industry of all places. I flew with Qantas within Australia in May 2020. On my flight, when the morning tea trolley came down the aisle, I was intentionally missed. After a long time, the same steward walked up the aisle, and when he returned I waved him over, to say that I did not receive any morning tea. He responded with "OK". He then went and fetched it and brought it over, he didn't even apologise. I believe this was fully intentional, that he missed me on purpose because I am of Asian heritage. I find it absolutely disgusting, that this airline could hire people like this. If he treats me like this, he will likely be treating other people of Asian ethnicity in the same vein. An airline/customer service is a completely inappropriate workplace for a racist.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Qantas is most arrogant and hypocritical company in the world. This airlines has not any office in Sydney, the website did not provide any useful information and waiting time on the phone to get customer service is 3-5 hours. Qantas did not advised passengers, that a Covid test is required for flights to Thailand. On March 27th during the check-in at the Sydney Airport the Qantas staff asked me firstly to provide a Medical Certificate from the airport medical center which cost 95$ and which was completely unnecessary because when I brought this certificate, they asked me to provide a Covid test and I was denied boarding as nobody advised me to bring this test to the check in procedure before.

All passengers' rights were grossly violated and as I asked the Qantas supervisor about the passengers' rights according to Montreal Convention 1999, he in a boorish manner ordered me to leave Qantas area. As a result I lost my ticket for the connection flight from Bangkok to Europe. To my complaint Qantas replied that it was not their duty to warn passengers about check in requirements. You have to be the last idiot to deal again with a company that hypocritically calls itself "spirit of Australia".

Original review: March 24, 2020

Qantas has 2 different rules. 1) when I cancel my flights and I'm lucky to get a voucher for next flight(s) or 2) when Qantas cancelled your flight you get a refund! Big difference. My wife and kids booked a flight to Thailand at the beginning of the Corona epidemic. Numerous times Qantas has sent emails to take our "best" opportunity is to cancel my flight and get a voucher. But I never cancelled my flight, Qantas cancelled the flight and according to their website I'm entitled to a REFUND not a VOUCHER. Big difference especially in these times I rather have some extra money in my bank account and not a (useless?) Voucher. Nobody knows when this Corona virus is going to end. With a voucher issued at the time you "booked" your flights I might miss out, also do not know if I have the opportunity to fly at that stage. QANTAS TRIES TO FORCE THE VOUCHERS AND NOT GIVE A REFUND!!!!

Original review: March 21, 2020

Qantas using COVID-19 to gouge Australian passengers in their time of greatest need. My wife and I are angered and disgusted with our so called ‘national carrier’ for profiteering from travelers’ misery, fear and insecurity during the Coronavirus crisis. In late February, we set off flying Qantas for a 6-week skiing holiday in Colorado. Three weeks into that trip, on Saturday the 14th March, it was announced that all Colorado ski resorts would close the following day due to the fast spread of COVID-19.

We felt scared as news got worse with every passing hour, the pandemic crisis deepened and there was talk of a ban on domestic travel in the United States, and reports of “Qantas to slash international capacity by 90 per cent from end of March” (our original flight was to return to Australia in April). The following morning a story in the SMH reported, The Department of Foreign Affairs advises “If you're already overseas and wish to return to Australia, we recommend you do so as soon as possible by commercial means”. What’s more, my wife and I are in the age group of most concern. So, naturally, we decided we had to get out of America as soon as we could.

Obviously everyone else felt the same way. All Qantas contact systems in America crashed. There was no call-back service. We spent between 4 and 6 hours in phone queues on multiple occasions and trying various phone numbers. Each time we were unsuccessful - the phone line would drop out, or after 6 hours we would give up. And infuriatingly, the website was only useful for cancelling flights, not for changing flight dates. So for us, it was useless.

On Monday 16th after another 4-hour wait, we finally got through to Qantas on the phone only to find to our amazement that in this time of unprecedented crisis for frantic travelers, Qantas had no compassion for our dire circumstances and only seemed intent on profiting from our precarious situation. We note that most of the American airlines introduced a policy to waive ticketing change fees. But not Qantas!

Qantas took advantage of our vulnerability to extort $5800 to change our ticket date. We simply needed to leave America ASAP before President Trump banned domestic travel which would have stranded us in Colorado indefinitely. We had no option but to accept this outrageous fee. To rub salt into our wounds, Qantas erroneously booked us onto a cancelled domestic AA flight, which caused enormous stress and another 4-hour phone queue trying to get it sorted out. If I hear that crackling, distorted wait-music again, I will definitely cry. And to top it all off... on the flight from Dallas to Sydney, Qantas lost our luggage in entirety, causing further delays and anxiety.

Original review: March 15, 2020

Ring the Qantas HelpLine and you are confronted with a 90 to 150 minute wait time. No changes are available online for flight changes or cancellations despite text messages saying this is possible. Look at the multitude of complaints here. These monkeys just don’t care.

Qantas author review by Erika Armstrong

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.

• Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.

• Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.

• Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.

• Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Qantas Company Information