Qantas

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was onboard a Qantas flight from Canberra to Melbourne the 15 of February 2017. I was allocated an exit row seat 14 F. When the cabin crew member was informing us of the dangerous situations and what to do under the circumstances such as fire or water, the flight attendant ended it with "most importantly make sure you stay away from the Arab looking guy." The statement was extremely racist and totally unacceptable! Being an Australian Arab I am deeply offended and insulted with this behaviour. I was humiliated and embarrassed, the crew member was creating terror and fear for customers onboard. Qantas is a partner of Emirates which has "Arab guys." I am sure they would not find this behaviour funny or acceptable either! I am surprised and flabbergasted still of what happened.

What happened to respect, equality and basic human decency! I am extremely disappointed, honestly I would like to know what Qantas leadership and Management think about this behaviour and how they allow their employees to behave in this manner and taint the Qantas brand name and jeopardize their partnership with Emirates. I made a formal complaint to Qantas, they said they will investigate however they did. It perform their due diligence. I requested an apology several times however never got one. Qantas did not take the unlawful discrimination matter seriously at all and there is no resolution.

I am now taking a legal approach to this matter and my lawyer advised I have a very strong case as I have evidence of the Discriminatory comments being made by the crew member. I am seeking justice to ensure this unlawful discrimination behaviour will not happen ever again on a Qantas flight and creating terror and fear for customers against a race on flights will be diminished. I am also in the process of collating other passengers experiences of unlawful discrimination to highlight the pattern of behaviour and strengthen the lawsuit case. Shedding light in the media is also crucial to eliminate this discriminatory behaviour. Please reach out if interested. Thanks.

I booked a return flight Sydney to Colombo with Qantas. I am a Frequent Flyer. I have my dietary requirements set to vegetarian. When attempting to confirm my flight online I noticed that the second leg of my flight from Singapore indicated vegetarian meal as not available. I attempted to phone but left on hold. I used the chat facility and was made aware only then that this leg of flight, although having a Qantas flight number was with Emirates. I was told it was my responsibility to contact Emirates and arrange vegetarian meal. I explained that as I had booked with Qantas, it was easier and appropriate for Qantas to do this. I was told again it was up to me and was given two phone numbers neither of which worked.

I complained to Qantas using their complaint feedback form on 4/7. I received an acknowledgment saying I would receive a response within a maximum 15 days. 30 days later I have had no response. My return flight is soon and I am receiving the same intransigent treatment. The complaint link provided this time does not work. Surely if Qantas subcontract my seat and seat preference, they can also advise their partner of dietary requirements. I am very disappointed in Qantas' customer care.

DON'T TRUST QANTAS CASHCARD!!! While traveling in the UK May/June 2017, one of the forms of funds I took was Sterling on Qcashcard. Nearing the end of my stay, apart from my credit card, the cashcard was the last of the other 3 forms of cash availability I took. It suddenly stopped working and I couldn't withdraw money from ATMs or use it for retail transactions as I had been. After much stress and heartburning and a very protracted call to Australia from a friends landline, MasterCard was able eventually discover that F flyer had sent a new card to my home address and cut off the card I was using due to status change. No response from Qantas other than automated emails at 1.5 months and 4 emails to different departments. An entirely unsatisfactory action and totally unsatisfactory response from QANTAS. BEWARE!!!

I had booked a return Qantas flight Auckland to Bangkok 27th April 2017, Bangkok to Auckland 29th May 2017. On the return flight I called Expedia 5 days before flying as they were my travel agents to ask Qantas what were the criteria to fly after surgery and if I could get a priority booking. Expedia had me on the phone and returned saying all that was required was a letter from my surgeon giving clearance to fly. I had a laparoscopic surgery for weight loss 7days prior. I turned up to check in with the doctors letter. The check-in Qantas person proceeded to issue my boarding pass for myself, my friend who has also had the same surgery and also my 24 year old son. Two wheelchairs were provided. We said we could walk.

Then we were left waiting for some time unsure of what was going on. The Qantas supervisor had turned up and wanted to know why we required priority boarding. She apparently proceeded to tell me that we could not board the flight because our operation needed to be at least 10 days prior before being permitted to fly on a Qantas aircraft. We had just arrived from India to Bangkok where we had the surgery which was a 6 hour flight. I could not believe we’re not going to board the flight. The supervisor had spoken with doctors from Sydney and they confirmed that we could not proceed to board. I am not sure on what information though. I had called my surgeon who spoke with the supervisor but she was not going to allow any changes to the phone conversation she had with Qantas Sydney Doctors.

I asked if I could speak with the Sydney doctors so I could relay my condition with them. This was not permitted and so I requested that they have a doctor give me a checkup. The Qantas supervisor nor the manager had no medical knowledge. As for myself I am married to a doctor and my companion is a practice manager for Surgeons in Rotorua. We probably have more medical knowledge than the Qantas manager and supervisor put together. The supervisor tore our boarding passes very cynically. I asked what we’re to do if we did not board the flight and were we going to get replaced tickets and were we going to get help with accommodation.

I was so distressed and upset from these unexpected turn of events. My husband who had been trying to contact me found that on the Qantas website it stated if I traveler had laparoscopic surgery flight could commence four days after surgery. It was too late. My son managed to board the flight but my friend and I were left with wondering how we were going to get home. When we were more composed and not so upset we went to Bangkok help desk to ask what we could do. They suggested we go to Thai Airways booking office which was right on the same floor we were on and we booked a flight with Thai Airways for the following evening a direct flight from Bangkok to Auckland which cost us $899.00 each. We went back to the help desk who directed us to floor 2 to book accommodation close to the airport costing us $78 for the night. I will never fly with Qantas again even though I was a frequent flyer. Cold and heartless.

I don't normally write airline reviews and am not in the habit of complaining, but QANTAS was SO BAD that I really feel it needs to be made public. I am a 58 year old lady and was traveling with my husband from Christchurch to London. This involves a very long journey and three different flights, first from Christchurch to Melbourne, then from Melbourne to Dubai and finally from Dubai to London. The total time of traveling was something like 29 hours and the middle flight something like 13 or 14 hours. We fly quite a lot and use all sorts of airlines, including low cost airlines. I am not a fussy person and quite happy with just an ordinary seat, particularly as I am not very tall. If food and service is good it is of course a premium but I would be satisfied with most things.

Unfortunately this time, I managed to break a bone in my foot just the day before our flight. The foot could only be bandaged until I reach back home as otherwise I would have been unable to fly. The medical center did the x-rays and the doctor prepared a medical report for me to take to an orthopedic surgeon in London and a copy for the airline. I was very worried how we will manage to fly, as I could not walk at all. I was just hopping on one leg for a very short distance with some crutches we managed to buy, and then into whatever wheelchair or car. So of course we at least try to come very early to the check-in to see if they could help me a little bit for the flight. The desk attendant in Christchurch managed to change our seats to one which has a spare one in the middle for the (relatively short) flight from Christchurch to Melbourne.

This was very useful as I could raise my leg over the empty seat and over my husband's lap, which helped a lot with the pain and the swelling. The doctor stated clearly in writing that there is an additional risk of DVT particularly as my leg had to be tightly bandaged to stop getting worse. It was a real struggle to go to the toilet with the crutches and even using the toilet. Nevertheless, the check-in assistant in Christchurch claimed that she could not arrange anything for the two other flights (Melbourne to Dubai, the longest one, and Dubai to London, fairly long also) and that we had to speak to staff at each location. I doubt that very much and just think she could not be bothered.

Anyhow, at Melbourne, staff just parked me and no one talked to us. Our tickets were given to a check-in staff who simply changed our exit seats to normal seats, with absolutely no consideration taken with my broken leg and my pain and difficulties (we had booked these seats months ago at an extra charge, but they cannot be used in case of mobility difficulties). I then spent the next 13 or 14 hours in absolute agony squeezed in my seat with my sorry leg, occasionally struggling like crazy to use the toilet. There was no sympathy and no help from staff. On the contrary, at one point I was so desperate on leaving the toilet that I briefly sat on the seat that the hostesses use during take-off and landing and was swiftly told off. I know I can't do this but I was so desperate and no help was offered with anything.

For the third and final flight, we were told again to speak to the staff at check-in, and again this was totally useless and we were simply told that there were absolutely no spare seats on the flight and they could absolutely do nothing. I was in tears by then, because it looked like I had to endure another 7 or 8 hours flight with no consideration and in agony, particularly as it become quickly clear to me that there were the odd empty seat here and there that could have easily given me a lot of help and relief if only the will of the airline and the staff was there. Indeed, frustratingly, directly behind me there was a seat with no seat in front which would have helped my leg massively. The person sitting there said that they paid 180 dollars extra for that seat. So basically no one was asked to move and no one was prepared to move.

After I finally lost my temper and started shouting at the poor cabin attendants in desperation, and a few hours into this last flight, a more senior looking staff member finally suggested moving us upstairs to the business or first class, and I said I was not sure I could make the stairs. Then finally the person sitting in the seat behind with the space in front offered to go to the business or first class upstairs and give up that seat for me. FINALLY, relief at least, after being for about 20 hours in total pain and discomfort. Why could they not have done this from the start of the flight, and for all the flights? The person I dealt with was then full of apology but for me it was way too late. I would not be surprised that this whole episode made my break even worse, because on getting home and finally seeing an orthopedic surgeon, I needed an operation to put the bone right so that it heals properly. This was my worst experience of flying with any airline ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Flew QF51 from Brisbane to Singapore on Monday, May 1. Seat 48B. Wrote a letter explaining my bad experience 15 days ago. Have not heard back from them. Card Board Box Service. Understand the cost saving advantages from removing tray service and replacing with cardboard boxes, retail cakes and desserts. However, I have the following comments:

Increases the mess around the cabin. Increases requirement of guest participation in service procedure. Aisle customers constantly having to pass items to neighbours. Increases expectation by cabin attendants that seated customers will assist them in food delivery and waste collection. Waste collection is performed with all the management and style of janitors cleaning a football stadium after the fans have left. Retail packaging is tossed into bags at floor level (Sometimes from a distance.). Dumbs down the service. Flying Emirates two days prior, service still provided by tray cleaner, more efficient, more stylish, less disruption to seated guests, little or no required participation by seated passengers for service delivery and waste removal.

Service. Cabin attendant walking backward up from the back of the plane yelling out, DRINK as each seat row was reached. Surely, more effective if attendant walks forward from the top of the plane so passengers can see she is coming down with a drink to offer and no need to shout out. Two hours into the flight before any food was served. Only water and a single drink option was offered earlier. No initial bar round offered with drink, crackers, nuts. No forced delay was noted. Seatbelt sign off at around 25,000 feet.

Request for extra cheese and crackers ignored. (Provided during main meal.) As stated above, retail food items simply passed to me with expectation that I will complete the service provision to my neighbouring passenger. No smile, recognition or thank you. (Like it was my duty.) Expectation passengers are responsible for waste collection and deposit into the large bag purposely positioned at below seat level for this reason. No smile, recognition or thank you. (Like it was my duty.)

Request for a beer during the service of noodles was met with the Fawlty Towers, "A BEER!" spoken with loud voice that could be heard several rows away. No polite exchange, no offer of selection of beers, just the deposit of the beer onto my table tray. (Neighbouring passenger noted and commented to me on the rudeness of the exchange.)

Food. Selected Biryani. (Poor selection on my part. Over optimistic due to the excellent green chicken curry from Emirates two days earlier.) Lacking sauce. Lacking vegetables. Leathery naan bread served inside the dish. (Should be served separately.) Basically, a plate of rice. Most importantly, the dish was not spicy. Or no option was provided to make the dish spicy through the addition of a spicy sauce. This is a very important service omission for Asian customers. Noodles served in a cardboard box were soggy and inedible.

The plane was full, so obviously business is good. The above comments may or may not have any effect on your business success. But although economy class passengers have long let go of the glamourized impression of air flight, other airlines (most notably Asian and Middle Eastern) are at least working hard at aspects of the guest experience with professional service, attendants with at least competent communication skills and basic manners (more often high class service professionals), sensible menu selection (recognizing the limitations of air flight catering) and good food.

Just flew Brisbane to Sydney. The staff were all helpful and friendly. The new business lounge in Brisbane was well equipped, well staffed and toilets were clean and modern. The in flight meal was tasty and everything was on time. Altogether, a good start to a holiday and everyone did their job well and were an asset to the business.

Disgusting customer service practices and lack of care or regard for long term customers. I wasn't contacted regarding a flight change for my girlfriend and only found out myself by chance that the flight had been changed, plus frequent flyer details were removed from the flight. After speaking to their "team" both via phone and via internet they basically couldn't give a ** and didn't care or make and effort to deal with my frustrations or concerns. They also said that they didn't have the phone number to their own complaints department (wtf?), I found the complaint department number myself after thorough navigation of their website, but speaking with them was also in vain. /:(

I find the fact that I can't even call to make a complaint bloody ridiculous, their "staff" didn't take any responsibility and passed me onto this stupid form to fill out which fyi was also down. No effort was made to improve my experience and it also sounds their "team" isn't even based in Australia anymore. Which is disgusting considering their our national airline. /:(

After flying with their services every year for the past ten years, if this is the way they treat their customers then won't be flying with them anymore. /:( And based on my previous conversations I doubt they care anyway. Considering my girlfriend could have missed her flight and be stuck in china and they didn't seem to care about the gravity of this situation is quite concerning. DON'T FLY WITH QANTAS. I WON'T FLY WITH THEM OR THEIR AFFILIATES (JETSTAR) EVER AGAIN.

I am a Qantas Frequent Flyer, which I have been for many years. A simple task which I asked Qantas customer service to perform, as changed my further patronage of Qantas Airlines, both domestic and international. The simple task asked of them was to send myself in reply via email answers to questions that I had sent them both by their website and by email before an international flight of which was booked through Qantas.

I was under the belief that I would receive an email answering the questions in no more than 2-3 days. But after 2 weeks and still no reply solely automated responses from their website saying nothing, I have then tried to call "Qantas Customer Help". All I experienced was a 1 hour waste of time on a phone call listening to music and recorded messages saying how good customer service and flights with Qantas experience are. In fact, nothing could be more further from the truth!

I hung up the call after 1 hour as life is far too short for such wasted time dealing with such incompetent customer service. All I advise other passengers after experiencing this terrible service is if you are unfortunate to be flying with Qantas take out some serious travel insurance and life insurance because if there in-flight safety and service is anything similar to what their customer service shown to a frequent flyer. Look out! I WILL MOST DEFINITELY BE CHOOSING A DIFFERENT AIRLINE NEXT TIME I CHOOSE TO TRAVEL. NEVER FLY QANTAS!!!

Last September I booked a trip from Philadelphia to New Zealand through Expedia, via Qantas. Due to circumstances, I had to change the dates to April of this year. Expedia advised me that because my flight was within 24 hours, I had to contact Qantas to make the change. After calling Qantas and explaining the situation, their customer service rep told me to go online and change it. I did, and received confirmation emails that my flight was now in April. Months went by, and I received several emails from Qantas advising of minor changes to the flight times in April. Each time, I called to confirm these changes as directed, and the reps simply advised that it was now om, changes have been confirmed.

Last week, I called to see if I could move my flight forward one day and was told "you contact Expedia to do so". After getting a run around from Expedia for a week, they finally told me that Qantas advised them that because the original flight was booked through Expedia, the change made on the Qantas website was invalid and that I had no ticket for the April flight I had been confirming for months. They gave me two options; pay and additional $1000.00 to update my flight to April, or cancel the ticket (which they said I did not have) and get a refund, minus a $500.00 cancellation fee.

After fighting with Expedia, they agreed to pay the cancellation fee and I was able to book a new flight with Air New Zealand, but because I was not booking as far in advance now, the flight cost $700.00 more than what the initial cost was. Not one single person, in 4 phone calls to the airline and 6 to Expedia in the past 4 months let me know there was a problem with the ticket until now. I will never ever give either of these companies a single cent again.

Took a flight from London to Christchurch in February on QF9 and QF8766, the latter being operated by Emirates from Sydney to Christchurch. Baggage received at Christchurch frankly vandalised. Qantas say it is down to Emirates to deal with this. I fail to see how that can be the case if the luggage was passed to Qantas' care in London and not seen again until Christchurch. Won't be using again. Makes RyanAir look benevolent.

Booked a flight on Qantas London Heathrow to Perth return, received tickets, etc., 10 days later was informed by Qantas "Your flight has been cancelled" due to a filing error with the price I paid. Left me 1200 out of pocket as I had booked nonrefundable hotels & car hire. Qantas won't answer emails or talk to me on the phone as they say I need a valid booking to speak to an agent. Worse airline experience I've ever encountered. Will book with one of the Middle Eastern airlines in future. Can't understand how airlines like Qantas survive with such bad service.

Where can I start? It was a terrible experience from booking, to trying to get a customer service rep online, which btw costs money, to extremely long call hold times. When flying from Auckland to LAX, the tv screens did not work for over half the passengers, the flight attendants were rude, and the food was sub par. I would recommend any other airline to anyone flying in their routes. What the heck, it can't be any worse???

Bought a return air ticket from Blackall to Brisbane return for $281.70. I changed the date of travel from 21 Nov. to 18 Nov. for the Blackall to Brisbane leg and was charged an additional $364.00. For simply a change of date and no extra mileage this is clearly another example of a monopoly taking advantage of the consumer. In my view Qantas is a disgrace and given a choice would never fly with them again.

I noticed some bad reviews here, so had to post a positive one for balance! We recently flew London to Melbourne return on the QF9/10 flights. As we are getting older we went the extra mile and booked Premium Economy. Even though the cost is expensive, we made the right choice. The extra space for comfort and leg room were a bonus, and the staff were so nice. For us the downside was getting the entertainment touch screen to respond, and the Premium menu not being down to earth enough. Not all people can eat curry or spicy foods (Me!) due to medical problems.

The duty free in flight gifts on offer are too up market, not everyone can pay 300-400 AUS dollars for a watch or jewelry. Thought needs to be taken to include young people, perhaps junior captain badges, stewardess wings, or model A380 with a stand. The small glass used for wine etc should be engraved with the Qantas logo and sold as a pair in the gifts catalogue. We would have bought that! We would have appreciated the chance of souvenirs with the Qantas as logo on, such as a small dish, or condiment set etc. Traditional should not be overlooked!

With a little exploration and patience, the right department for concerns can be found. Overall, our worst points have to be with the airports and not Qantas. Heathrow is the worst of all, making us walk for miles when we got back after a grueling 23 hour flight, with nowhere to sit in the corridors. The older generation need to be remembered please.

On Sept. 6th I traveled from Singapore to Sydney economy class. The level of service was terrible. We were handed a menu that stated "Snack," "Fresh fruit," and finally "Breakfast." What we got was something indescribable in a box for a snack. It looked like a tired hot dog, that came with no napkins and a bar of Kit Kat. Next I was waiting on the fresh fruit that never came. A few hours later I inquired about the fruit and the steward told me, "Oh sure. I'll get you some." Obviously they were too lazy to deliver it to passengers.

When breakfast arrived that left a lot to be desired. There was no tea or coffee served with the breakfast... unbelievable for an airline like Qantas. No wonder you're making mammoth profits cutting down on service like that. I will warn everyone I know not to travel on your airline. Shame as it used to be up there with the best. You should take a long hard look at Emirates for the perfect example of how an airline should treat its passengers.

Shocking. Delayed flights and lost luggage. When I finally got a call from the Qantas guy in NYC that the delivery guy was downstairs I asked if he could bring it since my apartment block doesn't have an elevator and he say no! I had arranged for friends to meet me the day I arrived specifically to help me with the luggage. AND I was in business class. Don't fly Qantas, Asian and Middle Eastern airlines much much better.

Lost baggage on Melbourne to London flight. Fair enough it can happen. But then no communication. 5 days later I can't get through on the phone. They only have an Australian number but I have had to hold for 30 min at a time with no response. Looking in Twitter there are many who have been kept holding for 60-90 minutes before the phone is answered. Their customer service website helpfully sends an auto response saying they do their best to reply within 15 days. There is a presence Twitter but then no ability to do anything other than apologise and provide links to customer complaints forms (that will be answered in 15 days). I can't recall a worse customer experience. I have been flying this route for six years. Never again. I will find another way don't care what it costs.

My wife, daughter and stepmother supposed to fly from Chch to Sydney, and then Sydney to Jhb on the 22nd Dec. When arrived at the airport at Chch, they were stopped and not allow on the airplane due to "not have the right affidavit forms" to go into South Africa. They went out of South Africa with the then presented forms in SA on the 5th December, and only want to return to South Africa. What they did had was a signed consent form from me, my daughter's dad, and a certified unabridged birth certificate. What they did not have, according to the lady (at Qantas check-in), was an official document from SA immigration that also need to be signed and certified by SA police. Due to this they missed their flights all the way to Jhb, and now I was required to change the bookings and pay a hefty fee of ZAR14,500 to get them back to SA.

When we left South Africa, SA authority looked at our documentation (Unabridged certificate + consent of the parent not travelling), there were no problems. They asked if we have return tickets and we could show them - all paid in full. Although South African authority let as through 17 prior coming back, Qantas decided, "No, that is not the case". What would have happened if I had not R12,150 to pay for the additional "changed" air tickets? Would Qantas paid for their stay and immigration fees that they could stay longer? It was sort sighted of Qantas and I'm furious that I need to pay for "continuous improve your experience".

The day my wife have been stopped at the counter they first advised I, her husband sitting in South Africa, can forward what they think the right documents are, to a fax machine. I had it all done within 10 min and for 20 min tried to send the forms to that fax machine and it was the whole time "busy". So they could board the airplane on Qantas "requirements", but because the fax machine was busy, could not get the documents to them. Then they advised after 15 min of struggle to get a fax through, I can use an e-mail address. I've tried the e-mail address, and still it indicated it could not send the documents.

The next day when we made the new bookings, they brought a whole stack of documents that went through after my wife left after they closed the gates the previous day, indicating Qantas system was backlogged and could not immediately received faxes and e-mails. I'm furious that Qantas think that I can afford spend on additional tickets! According the right procedure would have been to allow them through that if there was problems that they would have been blocked in South Africa. Yes I agree for people visiting South Africa while they staying in New Zealand (or Australia for that matter), it is correct to be sure they have the correct documentation. But not for returning South Africa Residents that have already been through SA customs and been allowed through.

This has been logged with Qantas on the 24th December 2015, as well as again on the 11 Jan 2016. I've only received an automated e-mail indicated it will be forward to customer care and will come back to me soon. They did not. I then logged a customer complain on QANTAS Facebook. Once again they indicated they will come back to me. They didn't and that was 3 months ago. Please advise what I should do regarding this event.

I bought a ticket for $160 USD. In two days, I noticed that the date I picked the ticket for was completely different than what I actually selected. The website bugged out, fine. I called Qantas customer service and asked them a simple request, change the date. I found a ticket that was identical, the same location/times/price, the only difference was the date. After a representative agreed to change it, I discovered my credit card charged $210 USD more. I found out that this was because they upcharged me for the ticket (that was the same price when I found it) and also charged me simply for calling in. Their customer service sucks over email and they CHARGE if you call them.

After I emailed them, they refunded me $90. Great! And then charged me ANOTHER $280 without even a confirmation or explanation for what. Seriously? By the way, customer service is INCREDIBLY rude. I got yelled at and interrupted multiple times even though I was talking very calmly and politely, even though I was obviously very frustrated. TLDR: Due to their inability to do their jobs, I was charged 160+210-90+280 = $560 for a ticket that should have cost $160. Do not use this company if you value your money.

Immediately after making my booking I was able to choose my seat, including an exit row without extra charge. So I boarded the plane on the day of the flight and shortly afterward a friendly steward arrived with hot towels. After takeoff I was offered a choice of meals – all available, and a tray of good quality food arrived. I could even use metal knives and forks. After dinner I was offered a cognac – very nice. I used the restrooms and there were a range of scents and creams. The toilets were clean and fresh. During the flight I was regularly offered drinks and snacks by smiling friendly staff. I used the in seat entertainment system which worked fine and provided a great range of up to date entertainment. I had plenty of leg room and a comfortable flight arriving on time at my destination. Great for an economy flight – £100 cheaper than my previous flight to the same destination.

Only problem was this was not with Qantas. It might have been 20 years ago – but is no longer. More and more people I speak to express surprise that it has taken me so long to change airlines. I have been loyal to Qantas for over 40 years. But they no longer provide a sufficient level of service, no longer respond to complaints, even letters written directly to Qantas Customer Relations and no longer provide a reliable service as our 9.5 hour layover in Dubai recently demonstrated. So, bye Qantas. It has been a long and sometimes lovely relationship but time has come for us to go our separate ways. It's not you. It's me. No hang on – that’s not right, IT'S YOU!!! It's over.

We booked our RT fare to Sydney from SFO a couple of weeks ago on Qantas. Last night I got an email from Qantas offering a "surprise sale" that would take about $400 off each ticket. The flight days and numbers would stay the same. The first customer service couldn't find the sale info and said he couldn't help us unless he could see it. We found that info on their website and called back. After much research the customer service said - "you can cancel for $500 and rebook or keep the existing reservation". They don't give price matching on their existing tickets. Doesn't say much about Qantas or the early booking experience with them.

Except for emergencies, I stopped flying with Qantas several years ago. It was after hearing the new manager of the Qantas Frequent Flyer loyalty program giving a sycophantic account of her duties. When describing her work priorities, she said that maximizing profitability was her number one goal. I thought that it was Alan Joyce who took on that role? There was no mention of how loyalty would be created and nurtured, the way it used to be done; no there would be none of that. The new manager of Qantas Frequent Flyer loyalty program wasn't going to let Customer Loyalty get in the way of her doing her bit to increase profits and the illusion of reduced operating costs was achieved by making it impossible for anyone, including hard won loyal customers, to communicate with Qantas Frequent Flyer, or anyone else at Qantas for that matter.

I say it's an illusion because I imagine that a new expense has arisen in Qantas' Marketing, where they are having to replace the large numbers of customers that the Qantas Loyalty department have discarded like trash, every week. Of course, Qantas management wouldn't have a clue because there is no way of contacting them. Even though I use competing airlines for most of my travel, I am still forced to suffer at the inadequate hands of Qantas Frequent Flyer staff. I have spent over seventy thousand dollars this year on flights with Qantas Partner airlines, Malaysian and Emirates. The claims I submitted for Frequent Flyer points were rejected for most of these flights. I called the Qantas Frequent Flyer help desk and a day later, spoke to a person.

The lady I spoke to was rude and suggested I was lying about the flights. I had kept all the boarding passes and tickets and had a copy of the American Express statements showing the ticket payments had been made. I sent the proof to Qantas nine months ago and heard nothing from them. A Google search shows that this is a common complaint about Qantas. Currently, Qantas are flying high on the back of cheap oil prices, but the cost of fuel will eventually rise, and then maybe someone at Qantas will start to wonder where all their frequent flyer customers have gone. Qantas should get rid of their Frequent Flyer department and employ people who focus on creating loyalty, and retaining it.

Our Premium Economy seats on QF127 SYD-HK 5 JAN 2016 were downgraded to Economy without sufficient notice nor our acknowledgement. Compensation details were not provided at that time. Fare difference not refunded. Subsequent (2) customer complaints ignored and still no reply received as at to date (15 Feb 2016).

This was what happened: With just under 24 hours on 4 Jan 2016 10.32am, we received an email of the downgrade with no explanation nor compensation details. The email indicated to call the QANTAS general number for enquiries. We called and was informed the queue would be 1 hour 35 mins. We waited for 15 mins without being directed nor able to speak to any operator. We arrived Sydney Airport 2 hours and 40 mins prior departure time, checked in at the kiosk and waited 10 mins at the Qantas Assistance counter and was only then told the plane was changed and there were no Premium Economy seats, thus all Premium Economy seats have been downgraded to Economy. The customer service staff stated each person will be compensated AUD 200 plus a refund of fares difference between Premium Economy and Economy.

We have subsequently called QANTAS customer service in HK on 6 Jan 2016 to further confirm when the fare difference refund and compensation will be given. However was informed the only refund given is AUD 200 per person. As instructed, we submitted posted a complaint on QANTAS' website 'Customer Care' complaint on the 7-Jan-2016 requesting a fare difference refund. There has been no reply (except for the auto reply emails) nor we have been contacted by Qantas customer service.

We waited until 26 Jan 2016 before submitting a follow-up complaint, again no reply or call has been received. We condemn Qantas to be ashamed for being the biggest airline in Australia, where a simple complaint does not even get attended to. Or is this the usual practice where Qantas just ignore customer complaints totally? It is unimaginable where such customer service will lead Qantas in the future?

Thoroughly disappointed and frustrated that Qantas have not accepted responsibility for their actions. Due to incorrect information given to me by a customer service representative, I have had to re-book an already booked flight, costing me an additional £236! I have written to complain and ask for a refund, but Qantas have replied saying that they're unable to offer me a refund because "voluntary changes to your ticketed routing usually involves fees". Well, this was not a voluntary change!

To explain: I have booked a flight from Hobart to the UK, which goes via Sydney. I asked whether I could cancel the Hobart to Sydney portion of the flight and board the flight in Sydney instead. Qantas said that I could do this. Because they said it was possible I proceeded to book flights from Hobart to Brisbane and then to Sydney. Several hours after this, Qantas emailed to tell me that it wasn't possible to cancel that part of the flight. They have now explained that if I didnt board in Hobart, I would be considered a no-show and that this was standard policy. If this is standard policy, why didn't the person I spoke to initially tell me?

I have now been charged £236 to board the flight in Sydney and I believe that out of decency and fairness Qantas should refund me this amount. It is thoroughly frustrating to be penalised for something that is not my fault and I would like Qantas to acknowledge this. However, after several phone calls and emails, they are refusing to do so and when asked if they could upgrade me as a gesture of goodwill, they've said they're unable to. Instead, they've wished me an enjoyable trip to Australia! Clearly this is a company that feels no need whatsoever to offer any customer service and I have become one of many who have filed complaints against this airline.

My flight from Melbourne to DC was cancelled after a 7 hour delay. As a result I was not going to make my flight from DC to Mexico City (on American). I requested a change of destination, but was booked to DC anyway. When I arrived in LA I asked for help changing my flight to Mexico rather than DC as I would miss my flight from DC to Mexico anyway. I was told I would have to call a ticketing agent as they couldn't help me at the desk. I was on hold for 35 minutes before anyone picked up. When they did we spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to make this change happen. I was put on hold several times as the agent tried to change my flight and then I got disconnected.

I called back and was on hold another 25 minutes before the agent told me they couldn't change my flight because the reservation system wouldn't let him. He said I would need to purchase a ticket to Mexico and follow up with Customer Care for a refund. There were no Qantas flights to Mexico City so I had to purchase a $262 ticket on AeroMexico instead.

I emailed Qantas Customer Care on September 21 and received an automated response informing me that they "aim to respond within 15 business days". After 17 business days of with response I emailed again. 2 more business days and no response. When I tweeted to @Qantas I was asked to private message them with details. I did. They said they would forward to Customer Care and get back to me soon. 2 more days with no response. When I tweeted again I received the same message and a promise that they would follow up soon. 2 more days...same thing...no response.

After 2 more business days Customer Care finally responded. That is 5 weeks (25 business days). They did not apologize for or acknowledge the delay in response. They informed me that even though they canceled the flight that caused me to miss my flight from DC to Mexico and purchase another flight with my own money, they would not reimburse me since my DC-Mexico flight was on a different airline (American which is owned by One World Alliance just like Qantas). They also informed me that I should have bought flight insurance to cover such a problem. Really? I should spend extra money to buy insurance from Qantas to cover me when Qantas makes a mistake? Thanks for that tip. I am shocked by how long it took to even get a response and then amazed that Qantas will not take responsibility for the mistake and the money it cost me as a result.

My family and I are flying home within Australia tomorrow. Online check-in is available 24 hours per flight. But not to us - won't allow us to do mobile or online check-in! My kids are young so I wanted to make sure we have good seats, together. I ring customer service in Oz to ask them to help check us in given online and mobile check-in not working... Woman won't even take our reservation number to help out (bear in mind I've by this time spent 10+ mins online, 5+ mins on mobile check-in then 10+ mins on hold). Tells me I have to go to airport to check in for flight tomorrow... Hot and windy in far north QLD, so I'm not keen but need to get seats together so off we go.

Half hour drive each way for airport. Staff who do finally help out, but with no apology nor acknowledgement nor attempt to work out what is wrong with their system... When they then told me I couldn't register for a vegan meal I made the point that they had caused us significant inconvenience on last day of our holiday and needed to seriously do better. Not paying their exorbitant fares in future given even the basic cut-price airlines provide better service. So disappointed!

The departure for my flight from Brisbane was delayed by an hour and a half due to "technical malfunction", the flight arrived an hour late, then the baggage took an hour and a half to come out in LA because the bay doors couldn't be opened. The sole Qantas attendant couldn't tell me when we'd be getting our baggage. An LAX rep informed me that the Qantas fleet is very old, and that this happens all the time. Qantas.

Qantas airport staff in the Melbourne Airport poisoned my day when I am on the way back to Hobart. Here is the full story: I traveled from Zurich to Hobart (stopover in Dubai and Melbourne) with Qantas Airway. The trip Zurich-Dubai-Melbourne was on a shared code flight operated by Emirates. I had 3 checked baggage pieces from the Zurich Airport and I needed to take the baggage out for customs, then drop back for the trip from Melbourne to Hobart with Qantas Airway (QF1501 depart from Melbourne at 7:45 am Monday 14 September 2015). And the problem came up at this stage.

I placed one of the checked baggage (with the bag tag Zurich-Dubai-Melbourne + Q-tag) on the Bag Drop counter but the machine could not recognize that bag tag. I asked a female Qantas staff about the error and she explained to me as follow: Those bag tags were to Melbourne only and needed to be removed since I were travelling domestic then. The 2 baggage with Q-tags could be sent through the Bag Drop counter without paper tags. The third one did not have a Q-tag must have a paper bag-tag and she asked me to get a paper bag tag at the kiosk check-in. She also removed all of the old paper bag tags (Zurich Dubai Melbourne) attached on the 3 baggage.

I followed her instruction trying to get a paper bag tag at one kiosk but I got an error message that could not identify me. I asked another female Qantas staff around there and she guided me to do it at a counter with their staff. A MALE Qantas counter staff served me and in a very rude way, he told me that I checked in already, had two checked bags already, then I needed to pay for the third checked-in bag. I did tell him that I was on an international flight where I had three checked bags but placed only two of those in the Bag Drop counter since I had only two Q-tags. He insisted that I had to pay for the third bag since the bag tag was removed from my third bag although I showed him the three small bag tags stuck on my boarding pass.

Then when I told him that the international bag tag was removed following a Qantas staff instruction, he told me that he did not have time to talk with me, he had lots of customers waiting there and he asked me to find that Qantas staff to ask her to check in for me. I told him that I did not remember who instructed me since I did not check her name as usual and it is a courtesy to follow the airline staff instruction. Then he did tell me in an offensive way that pay for the third checked bag or he would not check it in. And again he asked me to leave his counter so that he could serve other customers. I don’t need to say how I felt at that time since it is UNACCEPTABLE way to treat a customer and it was unbelievable to experience it from a so-called big airline like Qantas.

I left his counter very disappointingly, and worried about what and how I had to do next for the last part of my flight back to Hobart. I later found one of the two earlier Qantas staff around the Bag Drop/Check-in Kiosk and she took me to another counter (with Suzanne) and explained to the female staff there about my situation. She told me that I was asked to pay for the third check bag because I had over weighted luggage in total, not because of the third bag. I replied her that I had 42 kg checked bag allowance since I was a silver member. No one said anything more at that time and I finally got to the plane back home.

No apology from any Qantas staff at all after all of the offensive treatment I had to stand. I should mention here that my checked bags weight was under my allowance; my domestic trip was a part of my international flight (on the same booking/ticket) and I followed all of the Qantas staff instruction. And then they treated me in a way they just tried to push all of mistakes/errors to me. Refusing to serve a customer in the offensive way the MALE staff did to me was UNACCEPTABLE and UNBELIEVABLE. I do need an explanation from Qantas in this case:

1) Do you accept your staff to treat your customers in the way I had? If not, how do you deal with it when it happened? It must be a way such that it does not happen in the future because I am no longer able to stand with it.

2) Do your customers need to record every Qantas staff name to whom the customers talk or seek for advices/help with? Such that later the customers must show that/those Qantas staff name(s) to other Qantas staff as a proof of evidence of their reliability? Or such that the customers must find that/those Qantas staff again if the customers would be refused to check in by other Qantas staff?

3) Finally, what is the correct process for a domestic flight connected with an international flight with Qantas? I must say that I have travelled international flights connected with a domestic flight many time for years and this was the first time I was confused due to different versions of the Qantas staff instructions. While I thought that your instruction here in the webpage: ** was clear enough, it seemed like not all Qantas staff knew this rule and that resulted in offending their customers like me (In any case, I must still say that it was UNACCEPTABLE and very UNPROFESSIONAL).

I do think that the airline must have your staff trained well to know the rules and to know how to treat their customers professionally. Also there should be a clearer instruction on your website that whether removing checked bag tags for international flights (connected with a domestic flight) in my case would result in being refusing to get the International checked baggage allowance for the domestic flight? Please keep in mind that the checked bag tags were to Melbourne, not Hobart in my case.

Regarding the identity of the MALE staff who I, unfortunately, was served: I did not check his name but absolutely not hard for Qantas Airway to identify him. The case happened between 6 am - 6:40 am. It was a MALE staff while most of staff working at counters at that time were female. The guy served at the counter SERVICE 2. On his right hand side, there was a counter showing "this counter was closed". I did not see that male staff at that counter after I completed my checking process but I saw another female staff named Siobhan or Siohban who replaced him at that counter. Again I do need explanation from Qantas for my case and I expect to see the improvement in the way the airline trains/hires your staff that would reflect by how the staff treats the customers. Otherwise, what is the point of flying with Qantas, to be offended?

My boss booked business flights to Australia; he used the name I go by and not the name that will show on my passport. I am flying over with Air New Zealand and back with Qantas, so I phone Air New Zealand first to get the name changed over. They did this without a fee and were very professional and got this sorted in 10 minutes. I explained that Air New Zealand didn't charge me, they could see it was a genuine mistake. But Qantas refused to waiver the fee and demanded that I pay a $50.00 change fee. They also kept me waiting for over 50 minutes. I will make sure my company doesn't fly Qantas ever again. For a $50 change fee, Qantas have just lost around $6,000 a year in flight sales.

Expert Review

Erika ArmstrongAirlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.    More about Erika→

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.
  • Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.
  • Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.
  • Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.
  • Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.
  • Best for Qantas is best for vacationers and business travelers going to or around Australia.

Compare Airlines