1.24/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

153 Qantas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 21, 2019

Today I spoke to Qantas about changing the date of a ticket purchased yesterday. No change to the ticket status other than change the flight date, nor was my ticket purchased as a special deal. Qantas charged me $453.20 extra, estimated almost 50% increase. This is an absolute rip-off and pure price gouging, I have always flown and recommended Qantas in the past - not now.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Qantas seem to fail on customer service and they are more focused on a profit than customer Comfort or benefits. The A380s are old and have terrible uncomfortable Interiors and should have been refitted 3 or 4 years ago but again to save money they have continued to use these dated aircraft. As a Platinum Frequent Flyer they do very little to show any respect for their premium Frequent Flyers. Having been gold and platinum for some years only once ever did I receive a free upgrade. Has platinum. They tell you you'll get priority everything and it is absolute rubbish. When you try and upgrade with points they tell you as platinum you'll be notified 48 hours before and you are never notified.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Qantas. I always like to keep my comments positive. My rule is “If you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all”. However today I feel I need to make an exception to the rule in light of my recent experience with Qantas. On Thursday 21st Feb I flew to Brisbane with my husband for a conference. On Sunday evening 25th Feb as we were on our way to the airport for our return flight I had a serious fall down 15 steps. I was rushed by ambulance to the Mater hospital where I spent the night being treated for broken bones, lacerations, sprains and multiple bruising.

On discharge the Hospital gave me a letter for Qantas confirming that I was unable to make my flight due to a Medical Emergency. After several days of to and fro messages with the Qantas Bot asking for a refund for my missed flight (to cover the cost of eventually taking another flight home to Melbourne), I am horrified to be told that I am not eligible for a refund as I was a No Show. Qantas was advised well before the departure time that I had had an accident and was in hospital.

The irony is that had I attempted to take the flight Qantas would not have allowed me on the flight in the condition I was in. I’ve always respected Qantas as a reputable Australian airline with the good old Aussie Spirit of caring for its customers. No more! I now believe that Qantas is just another heartless profiteering company who cares nothing for its passengers, has no morality or business ethics and belies the appearance of a humanitarian spirit. #qantas #noempathy #customerservicezero #robotsfirstbeforepeople #serveonlytherich #hangthepoorouttodry

Original review: March 2, 2019

Pathetic service by Customer Service Manager in Business Class on 25-Jan-19 from Sydney to Bangkok. Lodged a complaint with Qantas, and this is their response: "While I appreciate you may be disappointed by our response, we have considered your concerns and as mentioned your concern with our staff has already been forwarded to the relevant team, we will not be able to disclose any information about investigation. I appreciate you taking the time to pursue this issue and I apologize if we have not been able to resolve this matter to your satisfaction."

Original review: March 2, 2019

Unbelievable!! Flew a Qantas 28/2/19 Shanghai to Sydney without any in flight entertainment...no movies, no music. Absolutely nothing. As you can imagine it was the longest boring 10.5 hour flight ever. Impression given was that staff knew it wasn’t working before flight took off. Very disappointing when you pay for a service and company can’t deliver and expect you to put up with it. A private company in everyday life couldn’t get away with it! Qantas has certainly dropped down a few notches over the years. This would never happen on Emirates!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Our flight QF12 from NY JFK to SYD on 24 February was cancelled. After arriving at the Qantas desk in JFK, we were taken care of by Kumar, an affable gate agent who provided us with overnight accommodations at the Crowne Plaza and three meal vouchers. Since we had requested and PAID EXTRA for aisle seats across from one another, he gave us seats in the middle configuration on the first leg of the trip to LAX with the middle seat blocked off.

He did NOT do the same for the LAX-SYD portion, a 16 1/2 hour flight. My husband had the aisle seat in the last row of the plane next to the rest rooms. I was squeezed into a middle seat in a 4-seat row that was completely occupied. Further, there was a metal obstruction for either electrical or entertainment mechanisms that took up 1/3 of my leg room. I am VERY disappointed in the consistency of your attention to customer requests since this was the second time our seats were changed. The first time our travel agent changed them back. This time, despite my explaining that I had total knee replacement and needed leg room, the request was not honored. This cost me considerable pain and swelling in a leg with lymphedema.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

You should purchase tickets from US-owned airlines when you need to travel to Australia, rather than from Australia-owned Qantas Airways. Qantas employees are not well trained to US customer service standards. A Qantas sales agent did not provide correct sale advice to me and its Customer Service department did not provide a reasonable solution, as I could expect from US-owned airlines. The troubles I had were not worth saving about $100 buying Qantas over US air tickets; I ended up paying more. I spent 20+ hrs on the phone and emails with Qantas and my travel agency, in addition to a $240 change fee, to correct the Qantas sales agent’s mistake. It was very hard to reach Qantas Customer Service, and my issue was not solved even though I contacted Qantas 16 days in advance.

Qantas pushed me back to my travel agency, which told me that Qantas should solve the issue because of its sale agent’s mistake. Qantas does not provide a phone # for customer service, the only way to contact its Customer Service is to file an online complaint. It took 3 days to receive a confirmation email with a case # & I was told it could take up to an additional 14 business days to look into my complaint; meanwhile my return ticket was 12 days away. Qantas Customer Service only works Monday to Friday, while Qantas Airways operates 7 days a week. My family will never take Qantas Airways again. I rated Qantas a 1 out of 10, when comparing to US-owned airlines.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Quantas changed my flight then asked me to call them to confirm/OK the flight change. Been on hold twice for over 35 min then get disconnected. I tried via SMS no luck. And no call back when I left my details. They changed the flight but can't be bothered calling me back.

Resolution response: Feb. 25, 2019

Although Qantas never called or emailed us about the cancellation of a flight from New York JFK to Sydney, the gate agent did make things right by issuing an airport hotel and vouchers for three meals. The agent said they notified our travel agent in California when the agency was closed on Sunday. That did nothing for us in New York and getting a limo service to the airport. However, the agent was so accommodating that it certainly made this unpleasant experience better. We then had to cancel a tour in Sydney, notify a shuttle service and notify the hotel about the delay, so we lost a whole day of our vacation.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

We booked and pre-paid selection of two adjacent aisle seats a year and a half ago. First, Qantas changed one aisle seat to a middle seat. Our travel agent changed it back. When we checked in online for tonight's flight, we found Qantas had AGAIN changed one seat nine rows behind the other instead of adjacent to my husband's seat. Now we have to get to the airport four hours earlier than planned to straighten out the seat problem in addition to being told that four AA batteries and four AAA batteries for shavers and a computer mouse were considered dangerous, so they had to be moved from checked luggage to carry-on.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I pledge never to fly Qantas again. I booked a Qantas flight online for 3 persons which had a small typo error referring to a single passenger's name, Qantas advised me they cannot change the error and that I would have to cancel and rebook the entire flight... Total extra cost 800+ dollars. The error was due to a incompetent and badly designed website that did not allow me to check for errors before proceeding to pay. Because I paid via BPAY it took 2 days for Qantas to acknowledged payment received and issue itinerary During which time I was told nothing can be done to help rectify my problem.

This was despite my payment having already been made (I checked with bank to ensure it had been). As the midnight curfew had passed for free changes to itinerary I was heavily penalised... through no fault of my own. To add further insult to my injury I was told I would need to wait up to 28 days for a refund. If I had not really lived through this I wouldn't believe an airline could possibly be so deceitful and unhelpful... BY DESIGN as Qantas, I gave one star only because I couldn't rate it less

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Flew Qantas around the world several times plus regular Australian fifo. Always disappointed with the service. Especially 20 minute hold times for phonecalls. Then had a medical emergency so couldn't fly. Qantas removed my over 100,000 frequent flyer points plus status. Disgusting and they lost my future business.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Arrived at airport at 5 am for 8 am departing flight. Flight finally departed at 2 pm and arrived in Auckland at 8 pm. After a long day with inadequate meal vouchers, traveling with 2 children and the replacement flight not stocking the gluten free nor the children's meals. Tried to lodge feedback directly with airline but this service is down. Qantas are my last choice in airline. Terribly disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

So Qantas stole me $1212. They made me bought 50000 Points to upgrade to business class then a day before flying they advised me that the upgrade was unsuccessful and didn't pay me back! Isn't they recredit me the 50000 points to use within a year with them or British Airways. It's a scam and they take make clients hostage! I tried to get the help of the airline customer advocate ** but Qantas refused any way to pay me back! This should be told to everyone thinking to upgrade any flights. Qantas doesn't allow you to buy it simply with a credit card, instead you need to buy Points!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

My wife and I had booked and upgraded our tickets from Perth to Melbourne 8 months prior to our departure. We were scheduled to fly out at 5:30AM but got a call at 7PM the night before telling me that our flight had been delayed and we were now flying out at the later time of 11:20AM. This meant that by the time we landed we missed out on an entire day.

After the phone call I went online and lo and behold it says our original flight is still leaving at 5:30AM. I rang Qantas straight back and after being on hold for 20 mins I got hold of a customer service rep who admitted after some pressing that the flight had actually been overbooked and we had been moved to a later flight to accommodate the overbooking. This is completely unacceptable and is incredibly suss business practice. Will never bother with Qantas again. They knowingly overbook their flights and then move passengers as they please with no regard for the inconvenience caused.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have had no issues with Qantas as an airline until today. My children were Scheduled to arrive back home in SYD this morning on QF140 from NZ at 8:30am. Received a message at 5:32am from Qantas Airways advising a flight change and they will now be arriving to SYD on QF142 at 10:15am. So I Picked up my children from the airport and was Pissed off with what they put my kids through.

They had stopped my kids from boarding their scheduled flight because my daughter was told she had to be 18. My daughter is 16. By Qantas policy she is fine to travel as a supervising adult for her brothers so because of one person's stupidity and stopping her for no actual reason my Children had to wait an extra 1hr 55min for the next flight when they had arrived to the Airport at 3am. At this stage my daughter was so emotional. Because of one guy's actions we now have to wait till 4pm for QF144 to collect my kids' baggage so wasn't expecting this to happen.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

On day of travel, Qantas canceled 2 flights out of BNE on 16th December. NO REASON given. It seems once you have purchased your tickets they could not care less about their traveling passengers. Check in at BNE airport. Booked luggage straight through to Hawaii (proof of luggage ticket available). Due to the cancellation of our flights, we were issued new boarding passes but luggage tickets were not given for updated flight number. Concerned, onboard flight and asked uncaring and self absorbed female stewardesses on Flight QF547 whether we would have sufficient time to get to International as we had 1 hour to get there. I mentioned that due to the cancellations we were behind and if they could do anything. They continued to advise we will have time - TEACH THESE PEOPLE ABOUT TIMING AND SCHEDULING PLEASE!!!

Arrived SYD and ran to GATE 15. We were stopped because we did not have boarding passes - advised BNE told us to go straight to Hawaiian Airlines and they will be there. After 20 minutes of arguing and the ground crew not caring about the situation, we were advised by these people that Hawaiian had canceled our booking because we were late - BECAUSE OF QANTAS. Then we were advised by these incompetent people that our luggage was on the carousel downstairs and we should go and get it and go to the customer service counter. They had advised that Peter ** a supervisor had told them to send us to Customer Service.

By this stage it was nearly 2200 and our International flight left at 2140. I went to customer service and my sister went to collect the luggage. The female at customer service was so preoccupied talking to her colleague that I interrupted them coarsely and told them to arrange accommodation and transport to the hotel. Asked to speak with Peter ** to which a response 'there is no need.' At this stage after dealing with his staff members for nearly 2 hours it was clear that Peter ** could not be bothered coming and talking to customers, having difficulty and left us in the hands of staff who really need to take a Dispute Resolution Course in handling Customer Concerns.

My sister went downstairs to the carousel we were advised to go to, only to find NO LUGGAGE. My question at this point - DOES QANTAS REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING? After going back and forth to Customer Service we finally had a staff member that knew a little bit about the role she is being paid for and found our luggage - which was at the International QANTAS counter - SERIOUSLY!!! She also advised that Qantas would get a courier and send our luggage to the hotel first thing in the morning. WHAT COULD GO WRONG??? Had no overnight items, pyjamas, toothpaste/brushes etc and was advised by QANTAS that they had run out of over night packs - CONVENIENT!

At hotel nearly midnight had to make international calls to change accommodation and car hire. We were advised by the car hire company that we had to cancel the whole booking and rebook - costing us an addition $130.00 and having to pay the whole amount up front of $584.64. Lost one night's accommodation at a total cost of $550 because we were not there.

Remember I asked what could happen when QANTAS was organizing our luggage to be sent to the hotel? WELL let me tell you what happened. IT DID NOT ARRIVE and when we eventually went to the international check in for QANTAS, promptly advised, "QANTAS does not do that and I don't know why you were told they did." Luggage not there and they could not find the luggage as we were not given updated luggage tickets. We went to customer service, baggage claim etc and when we advised that our International flight was in 5 hours and we started getting irate, did they pick up their speed. Finally we had to give them a description of the luggage for them to actually find it. NOT ONLY INCOMPETENT BUT UNINTERESTED.

To rub salt on the wound, when we went to collect the bags (when they finally found our luggage after 24 hours) from the 'back room area', we were TOLD by the older lady that we should correctly label our luggage. I promptly advised her that if QANTAS had of done what they are in business doing, then we would not be standing there in front of her being 'lectured' by a woman who not only could not crack a smile, but no apology or care whatsoever only to be told essentially the loss of luggage was the customers fault!!! REALLY.

A MESSAGE TO QANTAS - we not only lost a complete day of our holiday but we also lost monetary value as well, from pet care to accommodation and holiday pay. READING THE ABOVE - do you really believe this is the way an airline should be operating and are you happy with your staff members NOT providing the BASIC customer service needed to keep traveling customers happy using your carrier? My Name is Penelope ** (MBA..MDR) and I am happy to talk to a QANTAS representative about this. I will also speak to my travel agent Flight Centre who booked all flights for me and advise her of the issues we had.

EVIDENCE CAN BE PROVIDED ON THE ABOVE INFORMATION.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

No reply from Qantas on the following: On Sunday 23 December 2018 between 8:30 and 9:30 the following incidents occurred at Sydney International Airport Assistance Desk: A young lady of Asian appearance helped me obtain a wheelchair for my mother's assistance. She informed me that I'll be able to assist my mother, at the gate, up until she departs. I was later informed by another staff member that, that will not be possible. This caused my mother to be very anxious and distressed.

Upon standing in the queue, I noticed that there was only one person checking people in, while there were 7 behind the desk. I filmed this. The staff also proceeded to pick foreigners out from the queue behind me to assist them first. I felt discriminated against. Why is this a Qantas procedure? Suddenly a very aggressive customer service agent, Vicky **, appeared and very rudely insisted that I delete the footage and was not allowed to film. Later, after advise, I found that I was allowed to film, as this is not a security area. Privacy Act.

I attempted to explain to Vicky ** that there is only one person assisting while 7 behind the desk, while Vicki proceeded to loudly and publicly discuss their staff's unfortunate position as having to work during the Christmas period. She also stated that Qantas were understaffed. I find this hard to believe as there were 7 people behind the desks. If it is the case that Qantas was understaffed, it reflects badly on Qantas that you failed to put on enough staff as you should be aware of the busy period of each Christmas period. It also reflects badly on Qantas, that a staff member of Qantas discusses the staff issues, and how hard the staff finds it to work during this period, with a complete stranger and in such an aggressive and public way. This should be an internal Company issue and not be discussed with the general public. Imagine if the media was to obtain such matter!

Vicki ** proceeded to bombard me with her explanations in an aggressive way and I believe in an attempt to make me feel bad in causing the staff to have extra work to do. She did not give me a chance to discuss this with her as she proceeded to talk over me. This made me believe that she doesn't care about customers service and assistance. Vicky ** was literally screaming at me.

The situation became so bad that I had to put my hand up and ask her to be quiet, leave me and move away. This caused Vicky ** to get even more aggressive and she took my mother’s plane ticket, believing it was mine. I informed Vicky that this was not my ticket and that I'm not traveling, but just dropping off. Vicky then threatened that she was going to report me. I assured her that this incident will also be reported from my side. Threats can be very dangerous and can lead to criminal and Legal action!

All of this happened while my elderly mother had to look on in shock. I was very worried about how my mother would fare on the flight after witnessing this and also because I could not then comfort her and put her at ease, before the flight. I believe there was NO duty of care on the side of Qantas staff. My mother is from South Africa and asked if this is how things are done in Australia. Your staff's actions show Qantas and Australia in a very bad light. I am sure this is not the image you want to portray to overseas guests.

I've asked the assistant, that rolled my mother away, to ensure that she goes to the toilet before boarding, as she is elderly and I am not with her to help out. This is just embarrassing that a stranger has to take my mother to toilet. This is absolutely NOT acceptable to me as I could have been there to help her, but was not allowed to stay with her until she boarded! I was worried and distressed as to whether my mother would be treated properly, after the treatment I have just received from Qantas customer care. I am still distressed over this!

After my mother was taken away to the boarding area, I asked to speak to Vicky ** again, as I felt very unhappy about what occurred. When Vicky ** appeared, I asked her calmly why she was so rude to me and if it was because I dared to complain. She then proceeded to bombard me with the same excuses about the terrible position the staff is in and that how did I dare to put my hand up when she spoke. Vicky proceeded to talk over me again. I then had to cut in and informed her that I had to put up my hand as she was not giving me a chance to speak, just as she was doing now. This seems to calm her down a bit, giving me time to explain that even when I'm on holidays, I still have to take work home and do not have the luxury of being able to "cut off" from work, while I'm on leave and that I'm not complaining about my situation at work at all, as I'm too happy to have a job.

I ask that you investigate this matter of your staff and look into this, especially the aforementioned Vicky **, who seems to have anger management issues and lack people management skills. I want an assurance from Qantas that this type of incident would not occur again as my husband and I are planning to travel to South Africa in September 2019 and want to consider my airline options. Please advise me of your investigation and its outcome.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Flight was cancelled 4 months ago due to Emirates stop flying to Colombo. Ticket was issued by Qantas and they failed to reschedule 2nd leg of journey from Singapore to Colombo which was operated by Emirates. When we arrive to airport told this was cancelled more than 4 months ago however Qantas failed to re-schedule with another airline.

Qantas changed ticket and re-scheduled flight however as a result was waiting for more than 11 hours at Singapore. With Initial schedule transit time in Singapore was only 3 hrs. This was gross negligence by Qantas staff. Failed to re-schedule flight with appropriate transit time as per originally booked. When we have requested some refreshment at Singapore airport this was declined by Qantas customer service officer at the Sydney airport. We have been travelling for Sydney to Colombo every year and Qantas has been the preferred Airline. This experience has dented confidence in Qantas airline and service, we will not be using Qantas as travel airline in the future.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Really feel as though the $3,400 (AUD$) I paid for Dreamliner economy (sardine tin class) return PER-LHR wasn’t worth such exorbitant price tag. Unacceptable in regards to painful cramps experienced in inner thighs, all down legs and knees due to passengers reclining seats and unable to even normally get out seat without stumbling, falling about because of 3 reclined seats in front. No snack machine easy access although I saw other passengers on middle/right seats getting ferried snacks/wine...etc from cabin crew. When I finally was able to stipulate to the 2 passengers next to me that I have to get out stretch my legs go to toilet then snack machine was empty.

Maybe just rub my face in it Qantas/cabin crew and bring me a tin of crushed sardines as a snack! I don’t think anyone gives a stuff about DVT on Qantas Dreamliner. Stuck in the same cramped cattle class position for 8-9 hours straight. Idiot looking passenger doing stretching exercises while waiting for toilet I see near spacious midsection of plane just to rub it in people’s (mine) faces. Idiot women next to me just as irritating just took their sleeping pills I saw and slept through nearly all of it. Total disgusting ripoff $ paid for this rtn “nightmare liner” flight.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Last Sunday we were on the 17 hour, non-stop Perth to London flight. This plane should be called the stench-liner because the constant stench of fart is enough to make you gag. Thankfully we were not right next to the toilet but others were and I really felt for them. We wanted to select a seat not near the toilet so exactly 24 hours before departure, the minimum time stated by Qantas to select a seat, we found that seat selection was unavailable and we would be stuck with what we were allocated. I contacted Qantas and was told we could change our seat at the airport. Even after arriving a bit early to check in we were told seat selection was unavailable because the flight was full. Fortunately we were not right not next to the toilet but others were. One poor chap had his seat right next to the toilet door.

The thing that really annoyed me was that there were empty seats on the aircraft. There were at least three rows of three seats where one person was lying down and numerous empty singles. I mentioned the poor person sitting next to the toilet to two stewards and in reply one said I was entitled to make a complaint. I said they should do something now not react to a complaint.

Unless you are a tiny person the seats are too narrow and too cramped for such a long flight. Having the seat in front pushed back almost the entire flight made it very difficult to get out of the seat. The temperature, air pressure, and air content fluctuated a lot and I became very restless and itchy. The food and service was good but then we were towards the front of the trolley service. I cannot comment on what was going on further back or how many trolleys there were. I did notice one steward being very familiar with one passenger who had an empty seat next to them. I won’t fly with Qantas again.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I'm not even sure if this review will be seen, much less acted upon. I'm guessing it's just a portal/blog that goes nowhere but here goes. If other airlines flew my business routes you can bet I would ditch Qantas today, this minute, in a heartbeat & not give it a second thought! As a One World Qantas frequent flyer I'm not even sure how they survive in the industry. When I fly (which is obviously a great deal), I am truly embarrassed by the quality of service, aircraft, cabin crew, website... the whole 9 yards. Not one bit of Qantas is worth the effort. It truly is appalling that our national carrier is such a disgrace.

The customer service (cheap Filipino call centres) & chat section needs to be scrapped in favour of bringing service back to Australian shores. They'll say it's about saving costs. With the enormous profits the airline makes one would think they would invest in whatever encourages customer to fly with them. Providing substandard customer support, generally grumpy cabin crew, tired dirty aircrafts etc, etc is what they would prefer to provide. Gosh if only there was another airline that flew my routes. Qantas, shame on you! Yet another company that puts profit ahead of respect.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

As I write this I’m sitting here furious about the length of time it’s taking the Qantas support call centre to answer. Somehow my name has appeared differently when I open their site to check my flights but yet my paperwork when printed off is correct. I don’t want any hold ups when I get to the airport for my flight because of this and need to confirm all is ok. I waited 32 minutes online yesterday but no reply... had to go to get work. Tried later and was told to wait between 23 - 30 minutes. I’m now on the line 31 minutes and still no answer... Absolutely Appalling Service.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Too many problems to even begin with...and this is based on probably 30+ flights over the past year. Missed wedding, Lost baggage with no explanation, flight has not once ever been on time, ALWAYS delayed ALWAYS. Particularly from the Sydney airport. I will always go out of my way to book another airline now. I HATE Qantas.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I use Qantas airline & credit card and each is terrible. Speaking to someone takes a long time of waiting and there is no email option. I am embarrassed this is our contribution to the world's airlines. What a shocking brand!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

We have always flown Qantas and had good service for near 15 years now until the 5th of October 2018. We had a booked flight from Manila to Sydney in which we paid for our chosen seats. We arrived at the check-in after a long wait and were told our flight was canceled and we were booked on a Philippines Airways flight. We complained but were told we had no choice. We even asked for a next day flight but still no choice. We were headed to a domestic terminal which had substandard food and limited toilet access. We went through many security checks before I bought drinking water thinking we were in a secure area then to have all water confiscated again and we had no toilet access for maybe 40 minutes.

The PAL plane had no air vents and was very hot and uncomfortable inside. I requested water many times and they just served half a glass at a time. All drinks were warm. They did not refrigerate anything. It was a terrible flight. Qantas guarantees on their website that if your flight is canceled within 72 hours of departure they guarantee you seats on the next available Qantas flight. They breached their own guarantee so don't rely on their guarantees. We have complained for a week now with no reply even though their complaint section says you will get an email reply within 24 hours where you can attach documents. We had no emails or replies at all.

We missed our connecting flights and some Qantas staff were rude and made my wife cry after a wonderful holiday which was supposed to be special to us. We were not treated as Australian citizens but second class citizens. This experience ruined our holidays. We missed our connecting flight to Canberra and waited for 4 hours for the next flight when we had the urgent need to be home at the designated time. Their guarantees mean nothing. They can bump you to a substandard airline and not bat an eyelid. They just don't care anymore.

My advice is to find another airline with real guarantees such as Singapore Airlines for example. I am an Australian and have been proud to fly Qantas but to make my wife cry during a special occasion is unacceptable. We would have been happy to fly Qantas the next day but were told we had no choice and would forfeit what we had paid for. Good service... nah.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I had made a reservation to fly from Melbourne to Cairns next March. The flight was to leave at 8:30 am. A few weeks later they told me the departure was changed to 10:30 am. This was not acceptable as I have to meet a tour group in Cairns before noon. When I finally got someone on the phone they said it would take between 7-28 days to process my refund. I've called twice already and get nowhere. Each time I call, I'm on hold for 45 minutes, you cannot do anything on their website.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We booked online using ALL our points only to realise 5 days later we'd put our return date 14 April instead 14 March, simple human error. We had to pay $225 per person on 3 bookings & each booking had 2 people plus extra flight fees. It ended up costing $834 per couple/booking, and now they expect us to pay to sit together 2 now! I am totally shocked. I can't believe they treat anybody that way let alone Loyal frequent flyer members... OMG how disgusting!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

On our 30th hour at Melbourne airport with three kids 7,11 and 12. Waiting for our Qantas flight. No communication. No sympathy. No resolutions. I am horrified that in this day in age with all the technology and miracles that can happen that you don’t have a process and make kids sleep in an airport. Two days and no resolution?? Really? BELIEVE ME. IT'S NOT WORTH THE MONEY YOU SAVE FLYING A CHEAP AIRLINE. The pain and suffering for a family of 5 sleeping in an airport for two days. We should have flown someone else.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with Qantas. I am the Managing Director of a Sydney travel agency and I have been treated like absolute rubbish by Qantas (FOR MY OWN FLIGHT - I was double charged and this is my 4th call to Qantas). I have sent $1 million of revenue to Qantas in the last 12 years through my agency... And I even used to work for Qantas before that. This is absolutely disgusting by what I used to consider to be a good airline.

The Qantas Website was broken and showed "Error 3006" when a booking was attempted and said "Start Over". And then I booked again - I am a travel agency manager so I know exactly what I am doing. Then Qantas decided to charge for both. They agreed to a refund then said they can't do it since I took one of the flights (obviously I took a flight since I needed to fly!) but I certainly did not use both duplicate bookings, that would be impossible.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

The feedback form on the booking thing is literally broken. Here was my feedback. In the past I also had poor customer service, there was an issue on THEIR end. Lack of communication, then flights were missed and a family holiday was wrecked; lots of tears and upset. They offered a band aid solution of adding a few points to my account. The customer service person seemed to be reading from a script, not genuine at all. Virgin is better. I rated it 1/10 likely to recommend it to people. WHY: "The booking experience is honestly crap, the site is clunky and overloaded with stuff. I struggled getting through it. Like I didn't know what to look at because all the clutter.

Also why are these classic flights of 12,000 points not available on the app? It was saying 88k+!!! Add: also -- OMG I have all this feedback and it's telling me the questions are left unanswered. Even the feedback form is broken xD. Add: holy crap it's still doing it. Do you not want to hear my feedback? Or add: This is not working still and if it decides to work, whoever reads these will be in for a treat. Add: I GAVE YOU THE REASONS WHY! THIS BROKEN FORM IS REASON ENOUGH". SUGGESTIONS: "For a starters, allow us to go back a page? It made me start from the beginning just to check a minor detail on the previous page. Also I couldn't tell if the 25% discount was applied or not. Make that clearer."

Qantas expert review by Erika Armstrong

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.

• Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.

• Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.

• Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.

• Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.

• Best for: Qantas is best for vacationers and business travelers going to or around Australia.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Qantas Company Information