1.25/5
Based on 115 reviews that contain star ratings

130 Qantas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I use Qantas airline & credit card and each is terrible. Speaking to someone takes a long time of waiting and there is no email option. I am embarrassed this is our contribution to the world's airlines. What a shocking brand!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

We have always flown Qantas and had good service for near 15 years now until the 5th of October 2018. We had a booked flight from Manila to Sydney in which we paid for our chosen seats. We arrived at the check-in after a long wait and were told our flight was canceled and we were booked on a Philippines Airways flight. We complained but were told we had no choice. We even asked for a next day flight but still no choice. We were headed to a domestic terminal which had substandard food and limited toilet access. We went through many security checks before I bought drinking water thinking we were in a secure area then to have all water confiscated again and we had no toilet access for maybe 40 minutes.

The PAL plane had no air vents and was very hot and uncomfortable inside. I requested water many times and they just served half a glass at a time. All drinks were warm. They did not refrigerate anything. It was a terrible flight. Qantas guarantees on their website that if your flight is canceled within 72 hours of departure they guarantee you seats on the next available Qantas flight. They breached their own guarantee so don't rely on their guarantees. We have complained for a week now with no reply even though their complaint section says you will get an email reply within 24 hours where you can attach documents. We had no emails or replies at all.

We missed our connecting flights and some Qantas staff were rude and made my wife cry after a wonderful holiday which was supposed to be special to us. We were not treated as Australian citizens but second class citizens. This experience ruined our holidays. We missed our connecting flight to Canberra and waited for 4 hours for the next flight when we had the urgent need to be home at the designated time. Their guarantees mean nothing. They can bump you to a substandard airline and not bat an eyelid. They just don't care anymore.

My advice is to find another airline with real guarantees such as Singapore Airlines for example. I am an Australian and have been proud to fly Qantas but to make my wife cry during a special occasion is unacceptable. We would have been happy to fly Qantas the next day but were told we had no choice and would forfeit what we had paid for. Good service... nah.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I had made a reservation to fly from Melbourne to Cairns next March. The flight was to leave at 8:30 am. A few weeks later they told me the departure was changed to 10:30 am. This was not acceptable as I have to meet a tour group in Cairns before noon. When I finally got someone on the phone they said it would take between 7-28 days to process my refund. I've called twice already and get nowhere. Each time I call, I'm on hold for 45 minutes, you cannot do anything on their website.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We booked online using ALL our points only to realise 5 days later we'd put our return date 14 April instead 14 March, simple human error. We had to pay $225 per person on 3 bookings & each booking had 2 people plus extra flight fees. It ended up costing $834 per couple/booking, and now they expect us to pay to sit together 2 now! I am totally shocked. I can't believe they treat anybody that way let alone Loyal frequent flyer members... OMG how disgusting!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

On our 30th hour at Melbourne airport with three kids 7,11 and 12. Waiting for our Qantas flight. No communication. No sympathy. No resolutions. I am horrified that in this day in age with all the technology and miracles that can happen that you don’t have a process and make kids sleep in an airport. Two days and no resolution?? Really? BELIEVE ME. IT'S NOT WORTH THE MONEY YOU SAVE FLYING A CHEAP AIRLINE. The pain and suffering for a family of 5 sleeping in an airport for two days. We should have flown someone else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with Qantas. I am the Managing Director of a Sydney travel agency and I have been treated like absolute rubbish by Qantas (FOR MY OWN FLIGHT - I was double charged and this is my 4th call to Qantas). I have sent $1 million of revenue to Qantas in the last 12 years through my agency... And I even used to work for Qantas before that. This is absolutely disgusting by what I used to consider to be a good airline.

The Qantas Website was broken and showed "Error 3006" when a booking was attempted and said "Start Over". And then I booked again - I am a travel agency manager so I know exactly what I am doing. Then Qantas decided to charge for both. They agreed to a refund then said they can't do it since I took one of the flights (obviously I took a flight since I needed to fly!) but I certainly did not use both duplicate bookings, that would be impossible.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

The feedback form on the booking thing is literally broken. Here was my feedback. In the past I also had poor customer service, there was an issue on THEIR end. Lack of communication, then flights were missed and a family holiday was wrecked; lots of tears and upset. They offered a band aid solution of adding a few points to my account. The customer service person seemed to be reading from a script, not genuine at all. Virgin is better. I rated it 1/10 likely to recommend it to people. WHY: "The booking experience is honestly crap, the site is clunky and overloaded with stuff. I struggled getting through it. Like I didn't know what to look at because all the clutter.

Also why are these classic flights of 12,000 points not available on the app? It was saying 88k+!!! Add: also -- OMG I have all this feedback and it's telling me the questions are left unanswered. Even the feedback form is broken xD. Add: holy crap it's still doing it. Do you not want to hear my feedback? Or add: This is not working still and if it decides to work, whoever reads these will be in for a treat. Add: I GAVE YOU THE REASONS WHY! THIS BROKEN FORM IS REASON ENOUGH". SUGGESTIONS: "For a starters, allow us to go back a page? It made me start from the beginning just to check a minor detail on the previous page. Also I couldn't tell if the 25% discount was applied or not. Make that clearer."

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Just returned from a trip from Cairns to Canberra and vice versa with my husband who has a debilitating injury to his spine and needed assistance with mobilization onto and from the plane. At each airport we were given assistance with a smile, which certainly helped a lot. Thank you very much for your help.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I flew with Qantas to USA with my daughter who has gluten and garlic intolerances. The trip “high-lights” included a 14-hour failure of the on-plane entertainment system, a sub-standard LAX Qantas lounge, Qantas’ inability to cater for daughter’s food intolerances or to provide accurate flight information. We also flew on this trip with Delta, American Airlines, Alaska Airlines and American Eagle, and Qantas was by far the most disappointing. We did a similar international trip earlier this year with Emeritus. In comparison, the Qantas experience was disappointing and poor value for money. I have used Qantas as my primary airline for 40 years, but after this last trip, I need to seriously reconsider whether Qantas should remain my primary airline.

While I am disappointed with Qantas management and poor-quality control, I have nothing but praise for Qantas air staff who tried their very best to look after us and are amongst the best I have encountered anywhere. I have summarised the Qantas Experience below starting with the end of the journey and working back. As usual on this trip, the time shown in the Qantas lounge for boarding the plane from LAX to BNE was wrong, and when we arrived at the gate we found out boarding would be delayed for 40 minutes. After we boarded the plane we found that the entertainment system was dead, and the food offered to my daughter was cold and unappetizing.

When we earlier arrived at the LAX lounge it was overcrowded, the ladies’ toilets were dirty and the Wi-Fi unreliable. Even worse the only thing the staff could offer my daughter to eat was boiled rice. After I talked to the lounge manager, he kindly organized a burger for my daughter, but unfortunately, the meat paddy was burnt on the outside and bloody inside and tasted like burnt cardboard. At that point, I gave up on Qantas and took my daughter to dinner at PF Chang's located just outside the lounge, where we had a lovely meal in a relaxed, uncrowded and clean environment.

Our flight to the USA was domestic Brisbane to Sydney and international from Sydney. The Brisbane lounge was clean and relaxing, with suitable food available from my daughter. At the scheduled time displayed in the lounge, we headed to the boarding gate, only to find the plane had not yet arrived, and ended up waiting at the gate for an hour before boarding.

On the plane we found out that the request for a special meal for my daughter had been lost. Luckily the Purser was very experienced, and he got the pilot to radio ahead to make sure a suitable meal for my daughter was loaded onto the plane for the international flight. When we arrived at Sydney International our flight was shown as boarding, so we went straight to the gate, only to find a massive line and no one boarding. We were repeatedly told boarding was about to commence, but boarding didn’t start for over an hour. When we finally boarded we found that the plane was an older model with uncomfortable seats and a very limited entertainment library. Luckily, we were seated upstairs, suitable food had been arranged for my daughter, and the two hostesses were very attentive and looked after my daughter.

Booking the flights was difficult. I had Qantas points, and started looking for suitable flights bookable on points in January. After a couple of months of no suitable flights, I called Qantas to find out if suitable seats purchasable with points were likely to become available and was told that it was unlikely, so purchased seats for cash. I checked that all the seating was correct and that the correct meal had been requested for my daughter, and then moved on and started booking other items for our trip.

As is my habit, I rechecked the Qantas booking every 7 to 10 days, and everything was fine until 3 weeks before departure when attempting to access the Qantas site resulted in an error message. No one at Qantas could tell me what was wrong, but I found out from the news groups that the issue was new software loaded by Qantas IT. No warning or instructions were issued by Qantas IT, despite significant changes, one of which resulted in the special meal requests for my daughter being deleted. I tried to provide feedback on the issues above to Qantas, but the responses I got back indicated no-one cared and Qantas had no desire to improve their service.

As a comparison, there was ONE issue with my accommodation in Las Vegas. When I reported the issue, the hotel explained the cause of the error, and offered me a complimentary late check-out, a $150 credit voucher and waived $200 in service fees. Even though they failed to deliver what I paid for, they listened, explained what went wrong and compensated me for their failure. They were fair and I will book with them again.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I have traveled many times to the UK & this is the first time I felt a need to complain! I have sent 4 emails, with no reply up to press. I traveled on the Qantas Dreamliner to Heathrow on 15/5/18, traveling back on 6/6/18. The spiel was the seats were roomier & we could go to the galley to get refreshments any time. This is one of the reasons I wanted to travel on the new Dreamliner. The evening meal provided hours later, with one cup of tea. I asked several times when the tea would be coming, to be told it was coming. I don't drink soft drinks. After a few hours I got up to get myself a cup of tea to be ushered back out of the galley & told it's coming now. The tea was in a paper cup, which I hate, the milk poured from a milk bottle.

The chicken was dry, served up in a plastic container, no sides on the tray, bread roll, butter, nothing. Same with the dessert. In 17 hours I was given 2 cups of tea & two meals. I must have fallen asleep for a few minutes when the bacon baguette was served. I was so hungry & dry. I didn't like to request anything as one hard stare while asking for a cup of tea was enough. A male flight attendant dropped several meals on the floor, sliding off the trolley. He couldn't reach them so another passenger & I scooped them up for him. I'm sure my seat companion got one of those meals. He'd already dropped a bag of bread rolls & another attendant had to get some more. I think the staff was really inefficient.

I can't remember seeing anyone giving us the flight safety instructions on the way there & the captain hardly spoke. Even on the way back, to tell us not to worry when the plane dropped several feet. However, we did get safety instructions on the way back. I tried to change my booking coming back to Aus, as I wanted to avoid the Dreamliner. I got exactly the same, the Dreamliner a week later, to pay 220 pounds for the privilege. I kept my booking, as being a pensioner, that's money I didn't have. Coming back, slightly better service, exactly the same menu but this time they ran out of the chicken. I don't eat red meat or pasta. The attendant said they didn't have any more to offer me, but a stale roll with vegetables on it. Again, only 2 cups of tea in the 15 hour flight.

I'd advise Qantas to provide more chicken meals per flight, as it seemed to be the most popular. The ice cream we were given, was well received as I was so hungry again. I have traveled many airlines, to be given tasty meals & cups of tea or coffee every time the trolley came 'round. Presentation of the meals with several sides was 100% better than presentation of Qantas meals. I'm surprised Emirates is linked to Qantas, as I always say their meals are the best I've experienced. I traveled on Qantas many years ago & always said I wouldn't again, but I thought Qantas would have lifted their game with the new Dreamliner. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I hope I get an acknowledgment of this review this time...

Original review: July 11, 2018

I was pleased when our travel agent had booked our flights to Canada with Qantas. Being Australian I thought it would a pleasant trip but no it wasn’t going and traveling back. One of the female hostess was very forceful in getting me to recline my seat because I had asked the person in front to please put her seat up a tiny bit as it was in my face and I might say that my seat wasn’t upright. The passenger in turn complained to the hostess and then I was in trouble. I felt I was back in school being told very sternly to recline my seat, you could almost have a domino effect. The reason it time for sleeping!! Being as it was only 11 am Aussie time I wasn’t ready for sleep.

My husband and I were on the end each time of the food chain and therefore missed out on a choice each time. I must admit the head host was not happy seeing as he said we would be served first next time which didn’t happen. I must say we were given a bottle of bubbly and they did apologise. The staff never look happy and most of the women look like retirement age and were just going through the motions. In saying all this we paid for specific seats and we didn’t get them which was a waste of $140 for 4 of us. I won’t fly Qantas again in a hurry that’s for sure and I flown international regularly and this is my first complaint.

Original review: July 8, 2018

After 2 months of back and forth with Hooroo and customer care, I wrote my full story to customer care hoping they may be able to help. All I ever got back from anyone was a generic email. Finally after 2 1/2 months I got a half-hearted, "Sorry, but we can’t help you. You have to go through Hooroo." We finally got our $128 back for phone calls made to sort everything out. We are absolutely disgusted with the pathetic service Qantas has given. Nobody we spoke to (bar Kelly) helped us at all. The more they ignore, the more I am determined to get my story out there. This is not acceptable and you need to stand up and fix your company. Here is the letter I sent to customer care and I’ll put the reply (which took about 2 weeks) under that. I’m sure if I was the CEO of a major company I wouldn’t be writing this. Remember this has been going on for nearly 3 months.

"Thanks for passing that on. I am just looking at who this is addressed too. “Qantas CUSTOMER CARE”. I’m not sure how much you care. Let me tell you the story, I’m not sure if Hooroo is run by Qantas, nobody will answer that question. So I’m not sure how committed you really are. We recently decided to take a once in a lifetime family holiday to the US of A.Our kids aren’t getting any younger and we wanted to share this experience with them. We were talked into going with Qantas, so we bit the bullet and booked with our agent. We’ve never flown with Qantas, but we have flown with Jetstar a few times and that has never ended very good. I must say, you lived up to your reputation. Everything went according to plan. On time, great service, good food and entertainment.

As you can imagine, before we left we wanted to pay and organize as much accommodation and adventures as we could. My wife was prompted by your company through your FFP to have a look at Airbnb. So she ended up booking and paying for accommodation in LA. Thankfully only this once. We left the beautiful Hawaiian islands and headed to Los Angeles. As you can imagine, it was an eye opener for our children. By the time we got to our accommodation we were ready to get our key and settle in and organize our adventures for the next few days. We tried ringing the owners with the phone numbers YOU provided us with, to no avail.

After being stuck on the street with nowhere to go, we managed to get into the building and talk to the manager and she said she had no idea what we were talking about. She did not want to help us what so ever. We tried both the numbers YOU provided and when my wife eventually got onto someone, they said they didn’t even have dealings with Qantas. They did not have our confirmation number registered and did not know why we were ringing them. Fortunately, they were very accommodating and gave us phone numbers to try and sort this out.

Now, where we were, we didn’t have very good coverage on our phones as we were depended on wifi. My wife Sharlene and I were doing our best to try and sort it out. We tried multiple numbers given to us by the very obliging americans. But unfortunately we got nowhere. After my wife broke down in tears, which broke my heart and made me very angry. I really wanted to have this fixed now. She felt like she had let the whole family down, we decided to walk the streets ( at sunset ) with our children and try to find some accommodation to stay for the night. Thankfully we had help from the locals and found somewhere to stay

At this stage we were pretty damn angry. We were going through emails, confirmation notices, I was emailing Qantas, trying number after number when finally at around 11pm LA time I got onto a young lady in Australia that got the ball rolling. It was to late for her to ring anyone in the States so she said the team in the morning would look after it and call us first thing. Luckily we didn’t waste our day waiting for that call. We ended up ringing and explained the situation and he said no one could get in contact with the owner.

So we were wondering how on earth we were meant to do it. Nothing was said about a refund so we asked the question and he said he would find out and ring us back. Thankfully someone contacted the owner and a refund was agreed on. (no brainer really, we shouldn’t of had to ask). We also asked about the phone calls we had to make to try and resolve this, and that is where we still stand today. We are debating over $129 bill. Very silly from a multi million dollar company. We are more upset that no one has taken responsibility for this. We just get the generic reply from Hooroo and yourselves. I drum into my children that if they stuff up or break something they need to own up to it, it's a lot easier in the end. Now they ask me why should we do that if a big company like Qantas don’t have too. I shouldn’t have to be answering questions like that.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the emails of all the people that matter.
1. Why are there no phone numbers on confirmation receipts that actually link your customers with the owners?
2. Has the accommodation we booked been taken off your list?
3. Is Hooroo run by Qantas or a separate company?

Please don’t send your generic response to me. I’m not interested in that. Don’t send this to Hooroo either, they don’t care. Give me some answers."

THIS IS THE REPLY: "Thank you for reaching us and please accept our apologies with the delay of our response regarding your concern. We appreciate you providing what you have recently experienced with the accommodation that you have made. We have already tried to get in touch with Hooroo to be able to provide some answers regarding this. Hooroo is under Qantas and I hope you understand that the have their own department and support. We here in Customer Care are able to help you regarding your post bookings experience (flight, on board) so we hope you understand that we are unable to provide further answers as we are unable to access it here on our end. The best we can do is to get in touch with Hooroo to further help you.

We have also requested for them to contact you directly regarding this matter. Alternatively, you can reach them through chat, email or phone at 1300-738-206. They are open 7am to 10om AEST, 7 days a week. To know more, you can kindly click here. On behalf of Qantas, please accept our apologies and we hope this response is of assistance to you."

Original review: July 6, 2018

I tried to book a return flight from Brisbane to Melbourne for 13 - 15 July on 1 June using the Qantas website on my phone. The website crashed before I received booking confirmation. I checked my Qantas account and the booking didn't show up so I reprocessed the sale. At the conclusion of the second process I received two confirmations ** and ** for the same flight. 24000 points were also deducted from my FF Points for each flight (i.e. 48000 in total) and $72.88 charged to my credit card for each flight (i.e. $145.76 in total).

I emailed and rang Qantas to advise of the error that evening and was advised that one of the bookings had already been reversed. I checked my FF Account and bank statement two weeks later and the booking had been reversed but the credit of points and money had not been processed so I rang Qantas and was advised it would be sorted.

I checked again a week ago and noted it still had not been sorted so I rang Qantas again. Again I was told it was being processed. I've since written to Qantas but received no response. It is now over a month since Qantas' website crashed and this error occurred and despite having contacted Qantas 4 times, Qantas has still not refunded my points or money. I have no idea how I get Qantas to refund me for their error. Talking to them certainly does me no good!

Original review: July 5, 2018

After 20 long years of being a loyal Qantas customer, I have completed more than 100+ flights with them internationally, I had 153,000 points removed from my frequent flyer account due to 'inactivity'. I tried to explain that this was because of I was pregnant and unable to fly, but this was no excuse. When I did fly again I was told my account would be restored. I completed a return flight from LAX to SYD and still now 1 week later I am being told that they are unable to give me back my points. I had saved these points for over 5 years, and am beyond disgusted by their level of customer service. They were totally rude, compassionate and simply do not value customer loyalty.

Original review: May 23, 2018

My wife and I were delayed 11 hours on a flight from London to Melbourne for which we are each entitled to compensation of €600. On the same holiday we were delayed five hours on another Qantas flight from Cairns to Sydney. We complained on our return in February but have received nothing from Qantas except a very brief acknowledgment. This is disgraceful and consequently no stars for Qantas and won't be using them again.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Been waiting for a refund for over 2 months now. Can't seem to get any answer from them whether this has been processed since the first conversation being advised by their agent that a refund is already processed and will be received within 10-14 business days. After getting back with them, all the response they can muster is "We are still looking into this for you"? Get your act together! you guys are a disgrace.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Until now my QANTAS APP still shows my departure flight is QF855 and I already booked my seat online BEFORE. But when I checked in, Qantas directly changed my flight to QF815 optionally and WITHOUT ANY EMAIL OR INFORM, it directly put off 3 hours and moved me to another flight? This is the first I experienced this. How dare an airline can do this?

Original review: March 31, 2018

I have flown with Qantas for many years. I am a frequent flyer both locally and internationally. Qantas repeated bad service, rude staff, really bad call centre (you can wait for over an hour), expensive loyalty program and uncompromising attitude towards its customers has finally put the nail in the coffin for me ever flying with them again. During flights I have spoken to Qantas staff about these issues. They tell me the company has a bad culture. Staff cut back causing lack of staff, they feel overworked and nobody listening.

My father recently flew Qantas after I suggested it. An email was sent to him the day before departure to say his flight had been moved forward by one hour. He is an older guy who does not check email on a daily basis. They then sent him on a 35 hour journey to Johannesburg. He started at Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth then onto Johannesburg. Totally unacceptable sending an older guy on such a journey. The Melbourne ground crew were rude to him. He lost his extra legroom seats we bought him. A total debacle. No apology. Alan Joyce is all about profit 900m this past year. Sayonara Qantas!

Original review: March 16, 2018

Paid for business with Emirates however they are in partnership with Qantas and two of our flights were with them. What a difference. They run out of beef, no bar area plane. Was 10 years old. Complete waste of money. Then I left my sunglasses on the flight. Waited 40 minutes to get through to their help desk. Was given a number for Heathrow lost property and they advised me they don’t deal with Qantas. Complete nightmare.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

29.11.17. We had arrived at Sydney Airport Departures well in time but it took a long time in line to check in. After finally it was our turn. We all showed our passports and bookings. Then the lady asked for our return bookings out of NZ. When I tried to show my booking on my phone's email my booking would not open due to bad wifi or not working wifi!! No matter how much I tried it just wouldn't open! To add to my problem the check in lady wouldn't help me and kept on saying to hurry up and if I couldn't show the email in a minutes time she would offload me! A Ms. G ** even gave her email ID and my son sitting in India (4 am in the night) sent my ticket by email to her email address 3 times but she kept saying she hadn't received it! I Tried making calls to my husband in India but in vain.

It was difficult to even make a call!

Tried so many times and with the check in lady threatening us that the flight would take off and that only I (**) cannot board as I had ran out of time! (Later found out that fly didn't go on time also). All my friends (4 of them) had to leave without me! I was asked to go to the TG (Thai airlines) office to get a print out of my ticket. As I came out of the lift. The wifi started to work and I was able download my ticket!! I took a screenshot of the ticket and went to show them at the Qantas desk. But on showing it they said they could not do anything about it now!! On requesting them to put me on the next flight which was due at 1:50 pm. They said they could not help me and showed me the way to the sales counter of Qantas airlines!!

I therefore decided to BUY a new ticket to be able to get to Auckland ASAP!! After finding out the cheapest way to get there I had to buy another ticket for the 1:50 pm QANTAS flight!! Which cost me aus$ 574/-!!! No way was it cheap!! It was very MEAN of Qantas airlines staff!! I also had an ongoing flight to Rotorua and I had to miss that flight too due to timings!! I want to claim the money I paid for both the flights!! I have written my complaints to Qantas and even received a complaint register number... 2017/** but to no response even after 40-50 days!!! Extremely angry!?? Shame on you Qantas!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

When flying with Qantas I was very, very disappointed. I was seated at back of plane, food and service was very bad, I was seated next to two men, the seats were so small we were crammed in like sardines. I would not recommend Qantas to anyone and I would never fly with them again, very, very bad experience.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We have been Frequent Flyers for many years and choose to fly Qantas or partners. We paid $7646.90 for return flights Brisbane to London and one way to Budapest. We flew with BA from Singapore to London return by World Traveller Plus which is equal to Premium Economy but were not credited the correct amount of points. I have sent numerous emails with all the relevant details but get numerous people with different excuses. The last one today said as we got either an upgrade or complimentary upgrade, we were not entitled to the missing points. This is just a cop out as we did not have an upgrade. I would not expect to pay $7646 for economy flights or else someone has ripped us off. We know how we travelled and it was Premium Economy or equivalent. As for ringing them I spent 70 minutes on hold on 9/10 for another matter which is a joke. Shame on you Qantas for ripping off the little people.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I was booked on a return ticket on 21st September to Sydney and returning to the Philippines on the 13th of October, 2017. Due to circumstances, I needed to book an earlier flight back, and been given a ticket to fly on the 5th October, due to changed of date. I had to pay a fee of 300 dollars Australian. When I reached the airport, the Qantas attendant at the check-in counter informed me, that I am not allowed to fly because I only have a one way ticket, that I should possess a return ticket because I am holding a valid Australian passport, and she said that Australian passport holder should have a return ticket on hand for it is the International law. As I remembered, I flew to the Philippines on January 30, 2010 on a one-way ticket only and I got through, due to the fact that I am a Filipino descent. So, I just turned around and buy new set of return tickets for me and my husband.

Qantas Airline charged us 500 Australian dollars for the "NO SHOW" at the airport. Why? The Qantas attendant did not even let us enter the Qantas lane. And then, from the very beginning of changing the dates, fees and more fees were added to get the proper tickets to enter my country of origin. As I was traveling with my 92 years old husband on a wheelchair, don't you think this is absurd? Where is the humanity in this? And the true fact is, we needed to borrow the money to buy new sets of return tickets so we could fly back which also in fact, not necessary, because as we entered the Philippines, the Immigration official stamped our passports on a whole year stay, and what then for the return tickets we have, can those be refunded? If so, please have it refunded so we don't have to shoulder much paying off the borrowed money to get those tickets.

I know that your employees are just doing their jobs, but please let them know also the sorts of waiver that your airline should follow. Can it be more lenient especially to those people with disabilities like of my husband. We could have more enjoyable flight with Qantas if this matter was given attention through and through instead of leaving us on distress. We were frequent flyers of Qantas Airline for more than 20 years now, and this last flight was a horror. Thank you and regards.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I was onboard a Qantas flight from Canberra to Melbourne the 15 of February 2017. I was allocated an exit row seat 14 F. When the cabin crew member was informing us of the dangerous situations and what to do under the circumstances such as fire or water, the flight attendant ended it with "most importantly make sure you stay away from the Arab looking guy." The statement was extremely racist and totally unacceptable! Being an Australian Arab I am deeply offended and insulted with this behaviour. I was humiliated and embarrassed, the crew member was creating terror and fear for customers onboard. Qantas is a partner of Emirates which has "Arab guys." I am sure they would not find this behaviour funny or acceptable either! I am surprised and flabbergasted still of what happened.

What happened to respect, equality and basic human decency! I am extremely disappointed, honestly I would like to know what Qantas leadership and Management think about this behaviour and how they allow their employees to behave in this manner and taint the Qantas brand name and jeopardize their partnership with Emirates. I made a formal complaint to Qantas, they said they will investigate however they did. It perform their due diligence. I requested an apology several times however never got one. Qantas did not take the unlawful discrimination matter seriously at all and there is no resolution.

I am now taking a legal approach to this matter and my lawyer advised I have a very strong case as I have evidence of the Discriminatory comments being made by the crew member. I am seeking justice to ensure this unlawful discrimination behaviour will not happen ever again on a Qantas flight and creating terror and fear for customers against a race on flights will be diminished. I am also in the process of collating other passengers experiences of unlawful discrimination to highlight the pattern of behaviour and strengthen the lawsuit case. Shedding light in the media is also crucial to eliminate this discriminatory behaviour. Please reach out if interested. Thanks.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I booked a return flight Sydney to Colombo with Qantas. I am a Frequent Flyer. I have my dietary requirements set to vegetarian. When attempting to confirm my flight online I noticed that the second leg of my flight from Singapore indicated vegetarian meal as not available. I attempted to phone but left on hold. I used the chat facility and was made aware only then that this leg of flight, although having a Qantas flight number was with Emirates. I was told it was my responsibility to contact Emirates and arrange vegetarian meal. I explained that as I had booked with Qantas, it was easier and appropriate for Qantas to do this. I was told again it was up to me and was given two phone numbers neither of which worked.

I complained to Qantas using their complaint feedback form on 4/7. I received an acknowledgment saying I would receive a response within a maximum 15 days. 30 days later I have had no response. My return flight is soon and I am receiving the same intransigent treatment. The complaint link provided this time does not work. Surely if Qantas subcontract my seat and seat preference, they can also advise their partner of dietary requirements. I am very disappointed in Qantas' customer care.

Original review: July 23, 2017

DON'T TRUST QANTAS CASHCARD!!! While traveling in the UK May/June 2017, one of the forms of funds I took was Sterling on Qcashcard. Nearing the end of my stay, apart from my credit card, the cashcard was the last of the other 3 forms of cash availability I took. It suddenly stopped working and I couldn't withdraw money from ATMs or use it for retail transactions as I had been. After much stress and heartburning and a very protracted call to Australia from a friends landline, MasterCard was able eventually discover that F flyer had sent a new card to my home address and cut off the card I was using due to status change. No response from Qantas other than automated emails at 1.5 months and 4 emails to different departments. An entirely unsatisfactory action and totally unsatisfactory response from QANTAS. BEWARE!!!

Original review: May 31, 2017

I had booked a return Qantas flight Auckland to Bangkok 27th April 2017, Bangkok to Auckland 29th May 2017. On the return flight I called Expedia 5 days before flying as they were my travel agents to ask Qantas what were the criteria to fly after surgery and if I could get a priority booking. Expedia had me on the phone and returned saying all that was required was a letter from my surgeon giving clearance to fly. I had a laparoscopic surgery for weight loss 7days prior. I turned up to check in with the doctors letter. The check-in Qantas person proceeded to issue my boarding pass for myself, my friend who has also had the same surgery and also my 24 year old son. Two wheelchairs were provided. We said we could walk.

Then we were left waiting for some time unsure of what was going on. The Qantas supervisor had turned up and wanted to know why we required priority boarding. She apparently proceeded to tell me that we could not board the flight because our operation needed to be at least 10 days prior before being permitted to fly on a Qantas aircraft. We had just arrived from India to Bangkok where we had the surgery which was a 6 hour flight. I could not believe we’re not going to board the flight. The supervisor had spoken with doctors from Sydney and they confirmed that we could not proceed to board. I am not sure on what information though. I had called my surgeon who spoke with the supervisor but she was not going to allow any changes to the phone conversation she had with Qantas Sydney Doctors.

I asked if I could speak with the Sydney doctors so I could relay my condition with them. This was not permitted and so I requested that they have a doctor give me a checkup. The Qantas supervisor nor the manager had no medical knowledge. As for myself I am married to a doctor and my companion is a practice manager for Surgeons in Rotorua. We probably have more medical knowledge than the Qantas manager and supervisor put together. The supervisor tore our boarding passes very cynically. I asked what we’re to do if we did not board the flight and were we going to get replaced tickets and were we going to get help with accommodation.

I was so distressed and upset from these unexpected turn of events. My husband who had been trying to contact me found that on the Qantas website it stated if I traveler had laparoscopic surgery flight could commence four days after surgery. It was too late. My son managed to board the flight but my friend and I were left with wondering how we were going to get home. When we were more composed and not so upset we went to Bangkok help desk to ask what we could do. They suggested we go to Thai Airways booking office which was right on the same floor we were on and we booked a flight with Thai Airways for the following evening a direct flight from Bangkok to Auckland which cost us $899.00 each. We went back to the help desk who directed us to floor 2 to book accommodation close to the airport costing us $78 for the night. I will never fly with Qantas again even though I was a frequent flyer. Cold and heartless.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I don't normally write airline reviews and am not in the habit of complaining, but QANTAS was SO BAD that I really feel it needs to be made public. I am a 58 year old lady and was traveling with my husband from Christchurch to London. This involves a very long journey and three different flights, first from Christchurch to Melbourne, then from Melbourne to Dubai and finally from Dubai to London. The total time of traveling was something like 29 hours and the middle flight something like 13 or 14 hours. We fly quite a lot and use all sorts of airlines, including low cost airlines. I am not a fussy person and quite happy with just an ordinary seat, particularly as I am not very tall. If food and service is good it is of course a premium but I would be satisfied with most things.

Unfortunately this time, I managed to break a bone in my foot just the day before our flight. The foot could only be bandaged until I reach back home as otherwise I would have been unable to fly. The medical center did the x-rays and the doctor prepared a medical report for me to take to an orthopedic surgeon in London and a copy for the airline. I was very worried how we will manage to fly, as I could not walk at all. I was just hopping on one leg for a very short distance with some crutches we managed to buy, and then into whatever wheelchair or car. So of course we at least try to come very early to the check-in to see if they could help me a little bit for the flight. The desk attendant in Christchurch managed to change our seats to one which has a spare one in the middle for the (relatively short) flight from Christchurch to Melbourne.

This was very useful as I could raise my leg over the empty seat and over my husband's lap, which helped a lot with the pain and the swelling. The doctor stated clearly in writing that there is an additional risk of DVT particularly as my leg had to be tightly bandaged to stop getting worse. It was a real struggle to go to the toilet with the crutches and even using the toilet. Nevertheless, the check-in assistant in Christchurch claimed that she could not arrange anything for the two other flights (Melbourne to Dubai, the longest one, and Dubai to London, fairly long also) and that we had to speak to staff at each location. I doubt that very much and just think she could not be bothered.

Anyhow, at Melbourne, staff just parked me and no one talked to us. Our tickets were given to a check-in staff who simply changed our exit seats to normal seats, with absolutely no consideration taken with my broken leg and my pain and difficulties (we had booked these seats months ago at an extra charge, but they cannot be used in case of mobility difficulties). I then spent the next 13 or 14 hours in absolute agony squeezed in my seat with my sorry leg, occasionally struggling like crazy to use the toilet. There was no sympathy and no help from staff. On the contrary, at one point I was so desperate on leaving the toilet that I briefly sat on the seat that the hostesses use during take-off and landing and was swiftly told off. I know I can't do this but I was so desperate and no help was offered with anything.

For the third and final flight, we were told again to speak to the staff at check-in, and again this was totally useless and we were simply told that there were absolutely no spare seats on the flight and they could absolutely do nothing. I was in tears by then, because it looked like I had to endure another 7 or 8 hours flight with no consideration and in agony, particularly as it become quickly clear to me that there were the odd empty seat here and there that could have easily given me a lot of help and relief if only the will of the airline and the staff was there. Indeed, frustratingly, directly behind me there was a seat with no seat in front which would have helped my leg massively. The person sitting there said that they paid 180 dollars extra for that seat. So basically no one was asked to move and no one was prepared to move.

After I finally lost my temper and started shouting at the poor cabin attendants in desperation, and a few hours into this last flight, a more senior looking staff member finally suggested moving us upstairs to the business or first class, and I said I was not sure I could make the stairs. Then finally the person sitting in the seat behind with the space in front offered to go to the business or first class upstairs and give up that seat for me. FINALLY, relief at least, after being for about 20 hours in total pain and discomfort. Why could they not have done this from the start of the flight, and for all the flights? The person I dealt with was then full of apology but for me it was way too late. I would not be surprised that this whole episode made my break even worse, because on getting home and finally seeing an orthopedic surgeon, I needed an operation to put the bone right so that it heals properly. This was my worst experience of flying with any airline ever.

Original review: May 16, 2017

Flew QF51 from Brisbane to Singapore on Monday, May 1. Seat 48B. Wrote a letter explaining my bad experience 15 days ago. Have not heard back from them. Card Board Box Service. Understand the cost saving advantages from removing tray service and replacing with cardboard boxes, retail cakes and desserts. However, I have the following comments:

Increases the mess around the cabin. Increases requirement of guest participation in service procedure. Aisle customers constantly having to pass items to neighbours. Increases expectation by cabin attendants that seated customers will assist them in food delivery and waste collection. Waste collection is performed with all the management and style of janitors cleaning a football stadium after the fans have left. Retail packaging is tossed into bags at floor level (Sometimes from a distance.). Dumbs down the service. Flying Emirates two days prior, service still provided by tray cleaner, more efficient, more stylish, less disruption to seated guests, little or no required participation by seated passengers for service delivery and waste removal.

Service. Cabin attendant walking backward up from the back of the plane yelling out, DRINK as each seat row was reached. Surely, more effective if attendant walks forward from the top of the plane so passengers can see she is coming down with a drink to offer and no need to shout out. Two hours into the flight before any food was served. Only water and a single drink option was offered earlier. No initial bar round offered with drink, crackers, nuts. No forced delay was noted. Seatbelt sign off at around 25,000 feet.

Request for extra cheese and crackers ignored. (Provided during main meal.) As stated above, retail food items simply passed to me with expectation that I will complete the service provision to my neighbouring passenger. No smile, recognition or thank you. (Like it was my duty.) Expectation passengers are responsible for waste collection and deposit into the large bag purposely positioned at below seat level for this reason. No smile, recognition or thank you. (Like it was my duty.)

Request for a beer during the service of noodles was met with the Fawlty Towers, "A BEER!" spoken with loud voice that could be heard several rows away. No polite exchange, no offer of selection of beers, just the deposit of the beer onto my table tray. (Neighbouring passenger noted and commented to me on the rudeness of the exchange.)

Food. Selected Biryani. (Poor selection on my part. Over optimistic due to the excellent green chicken curry from Emirates two days earlier.) Lacking sauce. Lacking vegetables. Leathery naan bread served inside the dish. (Should be served separately.) Basically, a plate of rice. Most importantly, the dish was not spicy. Or no option was provided to make the dish spicy through the addition of a spicy sauce. This is a very important service omission for Asian customers. Noodles served in a cardboard box were soggy and inedible.

The plane was full, so obviously business is good. The above comments may or may not have any effect on your business success. But although economy class passengers have long let go of the glamourized impression of air flight, other airlines (most notably Asian and Middle Eastern) are at least working hard at aspects of the guest experience with professional service, attendants with at least competent communication skills and basic manners (more often high class service professionals), sensible menu selection (recognizing the limitations of air flight catering) and good food.

Original review: May 5, 2017

Just flew Brisbane to Sydney. The staff were all helpful and friendly. The new business lounge in Brisbane was well equipped, well staffed and toilets were clean and modern. The in flight meal was tasty and everything was on time. Altogether, a good start to a holiday and everyone did their job well and were an asset to the business.

Qantas expert review by Erika Armstrong

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.

• Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.

• Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.

• Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.

• Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.

• Best for: Qantas is best for vacationers and business travelers going to or around Australia.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Qantas Company Information