3.2/5 (187 ratings)

About Qantas

Qantas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I have been trying to unsuccessfully book our round the world honeymoon for over a month now. The itinerary cannot be booked online but only through the call centre. I have tried calling the call centre over 10 times, each time on hold for around 2 hours only to be dropped a few minutes later by the agent. Three times now I have been able to read out the whole itinerary only to be put on hold and then dropped. Even though they promise to call back when the call is dropped, they never do. I have tried to contact some of the Qantas international email addresses and also via Facebook and Twitter. No responses anywhere. I simply cannot make our honeymoon booking in anyway and there is no other ways to contact Qantas. This is as a silver Qantas Frequent Flyer. Extremely disappointing, I don't know what to do anymore.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Customer service is soo bad! I’ve been on the phone now and I’m still on hold how long does it take to look into the ticket? An tell me the Correct times? Background chatter was loud couldn’t understand a word the lady was talking! Honestly Qantas fix your wait hold or answer calls straight away nearly 40 mins on hold waiting for her to check my ticket.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

Made a booking with Qantas Frequent Flyer points on 27 February 2021 for a domestic flight departing 9 April 2021. At the time, the website stated that I had enough points and accepted the booking. The following day I receive an a "no reply" email from Qantas asking to call them about the booking. It was impossible to get through on the phone. The Qantas website continues to show that my booking is confirmed.

On the day of the flight, I receive a voicemail asking me to call Qantas. I tried to call back and was still on hold hours later when I arrived at the airport. The customer service rep at the airport advises that I do not have a reservation because I did not have enough Qantas points at the time of booking 2 months ago. I was required to pay over $700 to make an on-the-spot reservation. I've been through the complaints process with Qantas and they have refused any compensation or refund. Abysmal customer service. They need to update their website interface so it can process bookings and reflect their status accurately.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

Have had to rate 1 star as cant put 0. We had flights booked to NZ but borders closed again re covid. Qantas cancelled the flights (as they had to) so we received a credit voucher. I am now trying to get a refund. This appears to be the only thing you cannot do online!! I have now been on hold for over 4 hours. This appears to be a deliberate avoidance & passive refusal to refund customers. It is underhanded and absolutely disgraceful behaviour from a company I used to hold in great esteem. I delayed trying to get a refund for 2 months as the estimated hold times were always 2 hours or more everytime I rang, but I now really need my money back asap. I am just one of thousands they owe money to. They know this is in high demand and has been for months, try employing more people to deal with this huge demand. You need to look after your customers. Shame, shame, shame on you Qantas.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

Absolutely disrespectful having to spend days on the phone to not get my issue resolved. Unacceptable lack of support and willingness to correct their own mistakes. I chose Qantas for their reputation of “good customer service” but this is far to be good. This is actually disgraceful. Waited two years to finally book these flights. For the first time I decided to do over the phone as this is my first time flying with a baby so I wanted to make sure everything was done right. Now, because of their incompetence, I ended up with less $7,5k on my account and NO FLIGHTS! Thought with the borders reopening they would have prepared themselves to attend the high demand but what I saw was a poor trained staff that doesn’t know how to handle challenging situation. Qantas is not the same. Think twice before booking your flights with them. I could keep going as my disappointment in beyond words.

UPDATE (3/12/21)

It’s being three weeks since I had the issue above. The numbers of calls are now 18. I have lodged the complaint below to ACA as I can’t get the matter Resolved.

-“I booked flights over the phone as this is my first time travelling with an infant, I wanted to ensure all bookings were correctly done. Qantas agent who initially booked our flights committed several mistakes which are listed below:

1. She made the reservation but didn’t issued any tickets.
    2. She didn’t ask for our passport details.
    3. She didn't emailed me the payment receipt/tickets.
    4. She charged us incorrectly
    5. She booked my husband under a different booking which caused us trouble to book seats together as he didn’t have any infant under his booking.

6. She booked my flights with an incomplete surname. After repeating my surname multiple times she had difficulty with the spelling so she decided to leave it out.

I have contacted Qantas call center 18 times with an average waiting time of 2-2,5 hours being the longest call 3:40 minutes. Over 30 hours on the phone!!

8/11/21 - 2x
    30/11/21 - 3x
    1/12/21 - 2x
    2/12/21

3/12/21 -2x

After several attempts I got some of the issues solved:
    - seats

- airfare charges

However, there was no reasonable solution to update my booking with my full name. I contacted American Airlines and was advised that Qantas can contact them directly and request the mentioned alteration, however, Qantas solution was to process a refund for my ticket which would take 5 business days and reissue the ticket (extra $4k). I don’t have 5 business days nor 4k. As I’m flying next week.“

I gave up and I’m now In grief trying to request this bloody refund. Every time I call they need to seek approval from different people in different department and the waiting time now to receive the refund is not 5 business days but 8 weeks. They are such a jokers aren’t they? So furious!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

My self, my wife and children all are Frequent Flyer members more than 150000 points we are holding and number of times we have booked flights using credit card and had to cancel due to COVID etc. and the money went into flight credit. Now when we are trying to book flight it says, "Your flight credit has been converted into Qantas pass and you would have received email," but no emails whatsoever received ever and no way I can use the money for urgent new booking.

Last night and today I spend nearly 3 hours each on phone before finally a lady answered phone. I provided her the FF number requesting her to make new booking using the flight credit but she said she cannot help. I was almost teary and said we have over 1000 dollar flight credit so far and are we not able use our own money to book the travel when needed. Talking a bit, she nicely disconnected the phone without being any helpful at all but rather mercilessly. 4 hours of efforts plus the frustration that I couldn't book my little girl's ticket for her to visit her Dad. Disgusting service beyond someone can imagine.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

Had to cancel 3 flights due to covid restrictions. Spent 4 hours on phone to get refund. Qantas staff member confirmed they were able to refund to my account, but they refunded to my ex partner (despite confirming they wouldn't, otherwise I would have had voucher). I had been through their internal process and provided all account details as they requested. On the day of refund I got email to say it had been refunded to my ex partner. I called again and they said there is nothing they could do and that the Qantas person had given me incorrect information. I provided proof of telephone calls and emails, but Qantas just said I need to speak to my bank.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I spent 6 hours last week contacting QANTAS about their change to one leg of my domestic flight. Their new time didn't fit with the first leg. I have now been waiting since last week for email notification of the verbally confirmed change I made. The new flight isn't showing on my booking. My husband (not me the purchaser and flyer) received an email during last night to advise me that QANTAS is offering the agreed change this leg of flight to the agreed time (last week) but if I want to change it it will cost $200 more. It is suspicious that they didn't contact me the flyer so that I received the notification immediately.

I have now waited another 3 plus hours today to clear the matter up and still no answer, I'm on hold yet again. I have never been treated this poorly by any other business and I'm appalled at their lack of concern or integrity in not honouring this fare leaving only one flight via a Low Covid Risk city. I am also distraught that they don't appear to want to honour the first booking at the confirmed fare price.

Their flights do not suit Perth Frequent Flyers who can't travel through High Covid Risk cities due to quarantine requirements of our Premier. I am elderly and on a mercy visit to my daughter who has no carer for her after surgery prior to Christmas. I am returning to care for my husband with very low mobility and no immunity to Covid. I have received no care from anyone in QANTAS who are acting by stealth and questionable contact methods, which is not good business practice. Can Consumer Affairs do anything to help the unfortunate consumer? And now? Alan Joyce this stops with you.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

Post-Covid Qantas has demonstrated one of the worst corporate behaviors that I have experienced. A simple act of redeeming vouchers (worth thousands of dollars) to make a booking has been made so complicated that - it cant be done online. Which service-oriented company in 2021 relies on phone-based booking of the 1970s? I have literally spent more than 15 hours sorting out a simple process of booking domestic flights. I am not sure what kind of strategic planning was done during the quiet days of the COVID-19. CEO appearing on TV and saying book your holidays without actually ensuring that adequate IT system, processes, and staff are in place is laughable - seriously. The post-covid debacle deserves a "0" rating!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Yet another poor experience with this airline. This time, despite having my baggage (containing 10s of thousands of dollars worth of sensitive electronic equipment for work) heavily marked as "FRAGILE", it comes out on the carousel upside down. Goodness know how it's treated out of the consumers sight. Also, the high quality lock was missing. When I mentioned this to the staff member on duty, all I received was an "Oh dear" as she walked away.

Qantas author review by Erika Armstrong

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.

• Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.

• Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.

• Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.

• Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Qantas Company Information