3.35/5

168 Qantas Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

I had booked a Qantas flight from Brisbane to India for my parents assuming that they will get good service. My mother had a knee replacement surgery in the past and can't walk much. Also she had an injury to her hand while on her trip. After requesting and confirming wheel chair assistance multiple times from May till 10th July, today she didn't get the assistance on reaching Brisbane airport. My parents reached airport, around 4 hours before departure, which was much prior than what was requested by the staff to get the assistance. Apart from that, the flight was delayed by 2h 20 min and the Qantas staff was so rude and reluctant to communicate any details about the next connecting flight which was about to be missed due to the delay. My parents and specially my mother had to go through all the torture.

After much wait the flight took off at 1 pm. I didn't receive any email communication regarding the next flight, till the time I didn't call the customer care at 8 pm. Qantas doesn't think it's their responsibility. Since morning I have been calling Cathay and messaging Qantas. Disgusting service by both. None takes the responsibility and asks to speak to the other airline. What a huge mistake!! Now my parents have been given a via flight. So now they have to travel to BKK and then to Delhi. No wonder why Singapore airline is the best airline! And the best part is no one in Qantas and Cathay real care about your concerns. Ridiculous customer service. Not recommended for anyone, specially parents. Need a clarification on this.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Booked a flight and cancelled online within 8 hours same day. I saw the policy that tickets will be refunded if it is within the 24 hour period. I have called about every two weeks for months now and no refund. Good luck even just getting them on the phone. Not going to happen. They keep telling me that it is being processed when we both know they have no intention of refunding my money.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Been traveling to Australia from the US three to four times a year in business class for 20-years and to see the decline in service has been shocking. From snarky check-in experience to the ragged old A380, very miserable service from beginning to end. Stayed with them because they are partners with my airline (Alaska) but I’ve finally had enough! Cancelling my next flight and booking with another partner even if I have go through Asia to get here, I am done! Since they don’t respond to emails or answer calls they will never know the amount of business they lose!

Original review: June 22, 2019

I loaded Qantas cash card for bonus points offer. My husband did the same on the same day he got points now. Qantas won't give me my points. I have emailed them 6 times over a month. They never reply. I just want them to explain to me why my points are not approved.

Original review: June 21, 2019

First-My TSA approved lock was cut off on my luggage and Qantas reply was to submit it to my travel insurance (which I had none and the deductible would of been more than than that) This means to the consumer that you should check your bags to see if anything is missing after flying because I would of never known if the lock wasn't missing. Some airlines provide notes.

Second-I had a refund and they did not apply it. I had to call which took hours because you will be on hold forever. I spoke to someone in South Africa who took 45 minutes to check 4 prices of new flights. They told me they would call me back and they had my email but there was no reply. One call disconnected so I had to wait another hour to get ahold of them. The consumer should not be paying such as high price for such poor customer service. We deserve better than this and their approach with me was to delay, delay and delay trying to pay me back for my refund as well as not address the missing TSA approved lock that cost my $25.00.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Original review: June 11, 2019

Flight QF94 was cancelled without notice. Dumped onto flight to Sydney instead of Melbourne. Downgraded on flight and no in flight catering. Broken luggage. Staff at airports not the least interested. Qantas site won't accept complaints. Qantas needs to lift its game.

Original review: June 6, 2019

My family and I booked flights to Australia. We then had a significant family emergency. It was not severe enough for our travel insurance to cover, but much too severe to risk traveling. I contacted Qantas and at first they were very helpful offering me suggestions for how to get a credit voucher and then reschedule a trip for a later date. Then when I tried to put this plan into action I was told I have been given wrong information. Our flights would be forfeit even though THEY gave me wrong information. I was totally given the runaround. So I got pissed.

So, then I was given a credit voucher, but here’s the catch...it expires before I could realistically reschedule any travel. It is useless. And I was issued it after I told the agent when I needed to fly. They are so bizarrely rigid about rules they don’t even have full knowledge of. They have zero customer service training. It’s not even scripted, it’s just clueless. Completely clueless. To top it off calling them you are on hold for over an hour every time. And the communication breakdown is so bad it feels like you’re being scammed. I will never ever fly Qantas again. It is unbelievable to me that a company can even stay in business operating like this.

Original review: June 4, 2019

This is beyond ridiculous. I am calling for the third time to try to change my flight date. (The first two 2-hour calls apparently didn’t do the trick, even though I was assured both times my ticket would be changed). This time, today, I had been on hold for 40 minutes when Qantas abruptly hung up on me. I rang back immediately; that was 53 minutes ago. I am still holding. Have listened to the automated voice countless times now: “Thank you for your patience. We will be with you shortly.” /facepalm. I’m fast losing patience with this airline.

Original review: May 26, 2019

My friend and I were to fly to Darwin on the 14th May 2019, being middle aged we mixed up the time of the flight and arrived at the airport to fly out at 8.15pm to find out it should have been 8.15 am. Horrified we rang flight centre who we had booked through and were told we not only lost our money on the flight but also the return flight. They cancel both flights and we had to rebook the flights costing another $1,000 each. I can understand the flight we missed but the return flight as well. Qantas and flight centre told us this was the policy and that was the end of the conversation. We are extremely disappointed in the whole experience and will never book through flight centre again and will think twice about flying with Qantas in the future.

Original review: May 14, 2019

We were suppose to be flying to japan from the Gold Coast to Sydney and fly out of Sydney two hours later to Japan. Our flight was delayed until the next day 15 hours ahead. We arrived at the check in and were waiting at the terminal to board and they ‘Qantas’ decided to cancel our flight last minute and direct us out of the flight terminal and back to the Qantas check in area. Where we had to wait 3 hours to be served and would not be told any information on what was happening for us and for our flights to Japan. We have now lost two days on our trip and have not been told when and where we will be going to next to lead our trip to Japan. No email was sent out and no communication besides from staff telling us where to go to line back up and get our luggage. This is the worst instance I’ve seen or had by an airline which is suppose to be a good quality service, I do not recommend at all!

Qantas expert review by Erika Armstrong

Qantas was founded in 1920 under the name Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited. Today, this airline is the largest in Australia for both domestic and international travel and one of the nation's largest employers with a roll call of more than 30,000.

• International flights: Get a nonstop flight from Los Angeles to major airports in Australia including Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Sydney.

• Business Essentials program: Easy management tools allows businesses to manage travel itineraries from a single platform.

• Flexible baggage allowance: The number of free checked bags varies based on itinerary, so longer trips may come with more free checked bags.

• Extensive partner network: With 28 partnering airlines, Qantas offers travelers multiple opportunities to earn points and rewards quickly.

• Seat selection: Qantas travelers have the option to select a seat location during check-in or buy an upgraded seat with extra legroom for a small additional fee.

• Best for: Qantas is best for vacationers and business travelers going to or around Australia.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Qantas Company Information