3.0/5 (128 ratings)

About Qantas

Qantas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qantas?

Original review: April 15, 2022

40 days after taking our money for a booking, Qantas cancelled our flight and offered a ridiculously inconvenient alternative. We were directed to their website, where under "Manage My Booking" all other flights were unavailable, even though the same flights had open seats in the new bookings screen. The only remaining option offered is "Cancel/Credit", which is how Qantas try to trick consumers into cancelling their own bookings (it gets Qantas off the hook from an ACCC perspective), and then book the desired flight at a much higher (30% more) price!!! It's a scam to make consumers pay more after they've already paid in full, well in advance, for a fair.

The customer service line (13 13 13) is a joke - hold times in excess of 2 hours, followed by operators who simply hang up when you reach the front of the queue. Qantas also avoid providing a customer service email address for Australia.... It's all a very deliberate setup to trick customers into cancelling their own bookings and accepting credits, instead of refunds. Alan Joyce needs to be removed. This sort of customer treatment is unethical and very, very much not "the spirit of Australia" which Qantas purport to exemplify!

Original review: April 8, 2022

On hold for 5 hours, finally got a non English speaking consultant, disconnected before I had my issue resolved. Alan Joyce shows utter arrogance and disregard towards his customers. Do not fly with this airline

Original review: April 6, 2022

My flight was cancelled 15 hours before departure and then 23 minutes later I am advised that I am on a different flight which is completely unacceptable. I want my money back so need to go on a 2 hour plus call wait to discuss with someone. I have done nothing wrong but am paying the penalty. QANTAS I hate you.

Original review: April 4, 2022

Qantas cannot be contacted, with no capability to contact via email/chat. The call centre took 4 hours to answer, only to advise to wait another day for a BPAY payment to be processed and flights confirmed, after already waiting for 4 days. After waiting, payment still failed to process, with the only option to resolve the issue, to call back and wait another 4 hours on hold. Qantas did not respond to a messenger chat sent 4 days earlier. Completely unacceptable customer service from a major airline. I called a competing airline regarding a return flight with the phone answered within 2 minutes.

Original review: March 28, 2022

My second day on hold, over 3 hours and still holding so far today. I need to change my Mobile number in my profile, can only be done by phone. I have an international flight in a few days so need to make sure I can receive messages. They are taking the Mickey now, this is disgraceful, deliberately under-resourcing customer service, treating all customer with absolute contempt. I won’t book Qantas again, been flying with them for 20 years.

Original review: March 26, 2022

Former Australian Icon now takes the 2022 crown for the most incompetent Australian company. Have 1 connecting international flight and have had to call them 6 times so far. They limit phone contact with 1 number and a skeleton staff. Their message says - "Our staff are working very hard to help you". They just don't have enough staff and gaslight everybody into thinking they have this incredible extraordinary level of demand.

Started with a surname issue and ended up ringing them 6 times so far:

1. Waited 3.5 hours and the customer service person said she had changed the name (soon discovered she did nothing).

2. Rang back again to get the name changed and waited 4.25 hours before call answered (this time the name was changed).

3. Had to change the departure date but the Manage my Booking would not let me because a name change had been made. Rang and waited 3.5 hours. Customer service person arranged for a flight credit which was emailed straight away and abruptly disconnected the call.

4. More than 30 hours had passed and I could not book another flight as the flight credit did not work (disrupted our whole itinerary). Called customer service again waited just over 4 hours and the call was disconnected on pick up.

5. Rang again and waited about 1.5 hours before speaking to customer service person (voice sounded the same as person in 1. above). She attempted to fix the flight credit but it still did not work (the error message changed from: "The flight voucher is still being prepared" to "This voucher can’t be used online. For assistance, call 13 13 13 (in Australia) or your local Qantas office. This will open a new tab or window in your browser.. (15114 - 0)".

She started to book a new flight for us but when questioned about seating she said we would have to wait 24 - 36 hours before we could select. I expressed my concern as we are a family with 2yr old and 9mth old children. After further discussion I requested a refund and was told she would check and then she disconnected the call - never rang back.

6. I am waiting on the phone again now (for just over 1.75 hrs).

***

--Qantas has serious customer service issues from quantity/quality of staff through to its thoughtless structured online processes. If good customer service is important for you - do not fly with Qantas--

Original review: March 20, 2022

I booked a business class ticket to Adelaide from Brisbane 2 weeks before departure. After booking I've never received an e-ticket or confirmation per email. I was only able to see my booking online and on the Qantas app. I didn't change any of my existing details with Qantas and on the same email address I've received tickets and confirmations before. After that I've tried to request an invoice online multiple times which ended in receiving an error message. I also tried to call customer service, which I gave up after waiting 1 hour in the queue and the offered call back never came.

Before the flight I checked in online which worked fine and received my confirmation of check-in and my boarding pass. Then, 2 hours before departure I received a call from Qantas and they told me the flight is oversold and I have to take the next one, which is 10 hours later or downgrade to economy class. Due to I had to be in Adelaide at a certain time I didn't have a choice and agreed to take the economy ticket, mostly I fly economy anyway.

When I asked what the price and the refund is going to be it turned out Qantas charges me $800 for a eco-flex ticket which usually only cost $600, and I know because I have booked that ticket multiple times before and even my return flight is eco-flex for $600. The lady on the phone told me she can only give me the currently available price which of course is much higher 2 hours before departure. So, not only am I downgraded shortly before the flight, on top of that I am punished for Qantas mistake of overselling and have to overpay for a ticket just to get to my desired destination in time without being offered a better deal or any kind of compensation. It's really not nice to feel being taken advantage of because I have a schedule.

Unfortunately Australia doesn't have many airlines to choose from and they get away with bad customer service. I guess they need more competition to be forced to improve their services. I never experienced such a bad customer service in over 10 years of frequent flying. 90% of my over 200 flights were done with Star Alliance and they offer great service. That really makes me miss the times back in Europe where airlines can't afford bad service and still value their customer especially when flying business class.

Original review: March 19, 2022

Fourth day in a row I have been left on hold for over 4 hours. I am unable to manage flight online as it is for an unaccompanied minor. Flights were to arrive at destination at midnight. This is against their guidelines when booking. Completely unacceptable when they are making billions each year. Customers are meant to be a priority for any business.

Original review: March 15, 2022

Over 4 months ago l have had to cancel a booking. Eventually after numerous emails over 3 months. I got my FF points back, but after 4.5 months still waiting for $ refund of taxes and charges, despite being told nearly 2 months ago, l would receive in 21 business days. Been a FF member FF or nearly 30 years however Qantas in the future will be my last option for airline travel. Had nearly a million FF points and am using them for electrical goods, as won't bother with Qantas flights. Comparatively, cancelled FF light insurance. Refund back in a week.

Original review: March 14, 2022

If you can avoid it, do not book with Qantas because their customer service is completely unacceptable. You may be ok if you book with their website are lucky enough to have everything run smoothly, but the minute you need customer service you will regret it. I had a flight booked with them in early 2020 to take advantage of anniversary deals they were offering at the time, but obviously COVID changed that and through no fault of mine Qantas cancelled my flight and issued a credit that there was no way to use for two years.

Fast forward to now when I'm finally able to reschedule my trip. First, my original booking number, which should have connected to a credit that was valid for another 9 months, only returned an error message online. In trying to resolve that, it quickly became apparent that the ONLY way to contact Qantas Customer Service is waiting forever on hold - no online form, no chat, no email, not even an option for them to call you back when ready. A frequent flyer number and selecting the option to book a flight did not appear to improve my priority to them.

To date, over multiple attempts I have clocked over 11 hours on hold with only two times that a representative answered after 2-2.5 hours; one attempt ended without success at over 3 hours. That alone is unacceptable since given the financial difficulties the airlines have had during this pandemic they should be bending over backwards to get flights booked and not give out refunds. My situation should have been a simple win-win - I essentially get a $1300 discount on a flight and they get another $900 or so from me due to the higher prices. Instead, I have been left feeling like my $1300 was stolen and I will never willingly do business with Qantas again.

Both of my current experiences with the representatives who bothered to talk with me were underwhelming and it remains to be seen if my difficulty is resolved. The first one assured me that I should have access to my credit with the new booking number she issued, but several days later that number continued to return the error message that it couldn't be used online despite her assurances that would change within a day or two. The second one then informed me that a two year old credit could only be redeemed over the phone. I resigned myself to that outcome until the price she quoted me was $1000 more than the website wanted to charge me (including taxes and fees) for the exact same flights at the exact same time she was looking at it.

I balked at that so she then put me on hold to find out more about using my credit online (ie so I could price shop); about 30 min later she informed that my credit could be converted into a "Qantas Pass" that would allow me to access the full amount online like a credit card. The other option would be to have them eventually mail me a check; and in that scenario I would use Expedia or similar to find another flight at full price. I decided to give them one last chance and agreed to the Qantas Pass with the caveat that if that didn't allow access to my money within 2 days they would be hearing from me for the check, even if that costs me another three hours on hold.

Original review: March 14, 2022

For the 4th time in 2 weeks I have had to call Qantas. In total I have spent over 17 hours on hold. I listened for 4 hours to a recording telling me a booking would be refunded if cancelled within 24 hours. Only to finally get through and be told this is not the case and I can only get a credit. In the past 2 weeks while spending all this time on hold I have been hung up on twice when the Customer Service person couldn't resolve the issue. I have lodged two complaints but not been contacted as stated.

Original review: March 12, 2022

I am gold card holder...Consecutive flight bookings and cancellations made my flight credits vouchers evaporating money. Be aware to check your credit if you happened to book a shorter distance flight with the initial credit and have to cancel again. First they won't issue you with a new code, when you call you are on the phone for hours to be cut off. Example: Return Business flights for 2 people Perth = Auckland booked in May 21. Cancelled due to Covid. Credit voucher 3400$. Booked 2 economy flights Perth to Kalgoorlie with voucher.. No credit left!!! Had to call centre to be told I had used up all my 3400$ credit on my KAL flights.

After done arguing, I got new code with 2461 $ credit. Booked 2 economy flights Perth to Tassie with credit voucher, had to cancel again due to lockdown and got credit voucher 2033$. I called numerous times, waited 2 to 3 hours to get an answer and then to be cut off. Got a call back last time and out of the magic hat, I got a separate code for the missing 428$ credit. Is this how Qantas tries to make money??? Your business model needs urgent review. Try this direct number instead of 131313, you get to speak to someone within 30 min to an hour. 0290671509

Original review: March 6, 2022

Can't manage your booking online - can't contact online - can't email - online pop up help doesn't have any agents - extra bag fee non existent - 80per kg to pre purchase extra luggage - worst airline I've ever had to deal with - similar experience a few years ago. SCAM operating on the coat tails of its history offering archaic flying experience and offers no customer service department. Boasts 24/7 customer support but more like try 24 hours a day 7 days a week and you still won't speak to anyone.

Original review: March 3, 2022

We were unable to flight due a covid positive case. We called the company to cancel and get it the refund. Qantas said we need to contact the third-party agent that we used for the tickets for the full refund. After contacting them we were told that Qantas had “suspended” our booking so refund would be possible. We them try to call Qantas 5 times over the week waiting 4 hours at the phone each time. The agent that finally answered said that we couldn’t get a refund, only credit and the credit is valid for only 6 months.

We asked and insisted that we are wouldn’t be able to go for any trips within this time. She after putting me on hold for another 2 hours said that “a new booking has been created” and we would get the credit and we need to call to book so we can use the credit. Now to be clear, my and my partner will not be able to use this “credit” because we can’t travel in this period of time and I will not wait another 4 hours on the phones to book anything. This is the first time we try to use Qantas and will be certainly the last. We lost almost $400 with the company that has made it clear that it won’t return our money. I am extremely annoyed, angry and upset with this policy and behaviour. Will make sure to tell and share this experience with as much people as I can.

Original review: March 1, 2022

I'm still waiting on a refund for a flight from 2020. I was told the money would be in my account within 8 weeks. Instead they sent me only $11 out of $1144. I've spent many many hours waiting on hold only to be cut off each time before even speaking to a person. Constantly email and submit online forms. This company has become a sham and I will never spend a cent with them again. DO NOT give your money to Qantas, you'd be better off throwing it away.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

3rd call attempt in the last 2 days to book flights to back home using credit that happened when the pandemic began. Each call is 1.5-2 hours wait and then nothing, most airlines have a flight credit booking capability online, but instead we have to sit on a call to do nothing. Absolute shambles, they have the audacity to have a "please don't be unpleasant to our staff because of the wait" - I wonder if they worked out how to increase call centre capacity to help these poor workers.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

Worst customer experience of my life. And this has been going on for 2 years. I can’t believe they are still getting away with it. Avoid at all costs - they have cancelled, lied, ignored, double charged and still owe me $500.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

During my booking code **, I could select the seats for every flight of my trip. However, after payment, I could see that some of the flights have no seats selected. #1. The Manage Booking page is broken and won't allow me to see, select any seats or change the seats that appear to be confirmed. #2 (see attached picture). As all these flights are code-shared with LATAM, I contacted this company over Facebook and within 5 minutes they answered saying that only Qantas could make the change. After 48 hours of waiting for Qantas to reply to me on Facebook #3, I'm trying to contact 13 13 13 and it doesn't seem to be anyone working to support customers #4, which is very disappointing. I spent 1 hour and 30 minutes waiting on the phone and had to give up.

#5 I am thinking of going to the airport solely to try to get this sorted, or as a last resource, cancel the flight and dispute any monies, which I know will be more stress added. I paid much more than usual on these tickets and thought it would be a good idea to support an Australian company and our fellow Australians to keep their jobs. I even changed the returning date to be able to buy from Qantas, but it seems that Qantas is just keen to collect money and not keep staff. I immensely regret my decision to book flights with Qantas. Would give a zero star if I could.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

Please don’t book with them. I booked with Qantas knowing that they are a big brand, big company so I shouldn’t have any problems at all but ever since I bought this ticket I’m just stressed. No help from qantas customer care at all. They all are there to rip you off. Shame on you qantas, it wasn’t our fault that your flights were grounded for 2 years so stop Ripping us off mate. Try to earn it fairly.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

God forbid if you need to speak to a customer service officer to deal with a function you are told can be resolved online when it's clearly impossible online. And what if you are elderly or technologically challenged!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I have been trying to unsuccessfully book our round the world honeymoon for over a month now. The itinerary cannot be booked online but only through the call centre. I have tried calling the call centre over 10 times, each time on hold for around 2 hours only to be dropped a few minutes later by the agent. Three times now I have been able to read out the whole itinerary only to be put on hold and then dropped. Even though they promise to call back when the call is dropped, they never do. I have tried to contact some of the Qantas international email addresses and also via Facebook and Twitter. No responses anywhere. I simply cannot make our honeymoon booking in anyway and there is no other ways to contact Qantas. This is as a silver Qantas Frequent Flyer. Extremely disappointing, I don't know what to do anymore.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Customer service is soo bad! I’ve been on the phone now and I’m still on hold how long does it take to look into the ticket? An tell me the Correct times? Background chatter was loud couldn’t understand a word the lady was talking! Honestly Qantas fix your wait hold or answer calls straight away nearly 40 mins on hold waiting for her to check my ticket.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

Made a booking with Qantas Frequent Flyer points on 27 February 2021 for a domestic flight departing 9 April 2021. At the time, the website stated that I had enough points and accepted the booking. The following day I receive an a "no reply" email from Qantas asking to call them about the booking. It was impossible to get through on the phone. The Qantas website continues to show that my booking is confirmed.

On the day of the flight, I receive a voicemail asking me to call Qantas. I tried to call back and was still on hold hours later when I arrived at the airport. The customer service rep at the airport advises that I do not have a reservation because I did not have enough Qantas points at the time of booking 2 months ago. I was required to pay over $700 to make an on-the-spot reservation. I've been through the complaints process with Qantas and they have refused any compensation or refund. Abysmal customer service. They need to update their website interface so it can process bookings and reflect their status accurately.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

Have had to rate 1 star as cant put 0. We had flights booked to NZ but borders closed again re covid. Qantas cancelled the flights (as they had to) so we received a credit voucher. I am now trying to get a refund. This appears to be the only thing you cannot do online!! I have now been on hold for over 4 hours. This appears to be a deliberate avoidance & passive refusal to refund customers. It is underhanded and absolutely disgraceful behaviour from a company I used to hold in great esteem. I delayed trying to get a refund for 2 months as the estimated hold times were always 2 hours or more everytime I rang, but I now really need my money back asap. I am just one of thousands they owe money to. They know this is in high demand and has been for months, try employing more people to deal with this huge demand. You need to look after your customers. Shame, shame, shame on you Qantas.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

Absolutely disrespectful having to spend days on the phone to not get my issue resolved. Unacceptable lack of support and willingness to correct their own mistakes. I chose Qantas for their reputation of “good customer service” but this is far to be good. This is actually disgraceful. Waited two years to finally book these flights. For the first time I decided to do over the phone as this is my first time flying with a baby so I wanted to make sure everything was done right. Now, because of their incompetence, I ended up with less $7,5k on my account and NO FLIGHTS! Thought with the borders reopening they would have prepared themselves to attend the high demand but what I saw was a poor trained staff that doesn’t know how to handle challenging situation. Qantas is not the same. Think twice before booking your flights with them. I could keep going as my disappointment in beyond words.

UPDATE (3/12/21)

It’s being three weeks since I had the issue above. The numbers of calls are now 18. I have lodged the complaint below to ACA as I can’t get the matter Resolved.

-“I booked flights over the phone as this is my first time travelling with an infant, I wanted to ensure all bookings were correctly done. Qantas agent who initially booked our flights committed several mistakes which are listed below:

1. She made the reservation but didn’t issued any tickets.
2. She didn’t ask for our passport details.
3. She didn't emailed me the payment receipt/tickets.
4. She charged us incorrectly
5. She booked my husband under a different booking which caused us trouble to book seats together as he didn’t have any infant under his booking.

6. She booked my flights with an incomplete surname. After repeating my surname multiple times she had difficulty with the spelling so she decided to leave it out.

I have contacted Qantas call center 18 times with an average waiting time of 2-2,5 hours being the longest call 3:40 minutes. Over 30 hours on the phone!!

8/11/21 - 2x
30/11/21 - 3x
1/12/21 - 2x
2/12/21

3/12/21 -2x

After several attempts I got some of the issues solved:
- seats

- airfare charges

However, there was no reasonable solution to update my booking with my full name. I contacted American Airlines and was advised that Qantas can contact them directly and request the mentioned alteration, however, Qantas solution was to process a refund for my ticket which would take 5 business days and reissue the ticket (extra $4k). I don’t have 5 business days nor 4k. As I’m flying next week.“

I gave up and I’m now In grief trying to request this bloody refund. Every time I call they need to seek approval from different people in different department and the waiting time now to receive the refund is not 5 business days but 8 weeks. They are such a jokers aren’t they? So furious!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

My self, my wife and children all are Frequent Flyer members more than 150000 points we are holding and number of times we have booked flights using credit card and had to cancel due to COVID etc. and the money went into flight credit. Now when we are trying to book flight it says, "Your flight credit has been converted into Qantas pass and you would have received email," but no emails whatsoever received ever and no way I can use the money for urgent new booking.

Last night and today I spend nearly 3 hours each on phone before finally a lady answered phone. I provided her the FF number requesting her to make new booking using the flight credit but she said she cannot help. I was almost teary and said we have over 1000 dollar flight credit so far and are we not able use our own money to book the travel when needed. Talking a bit, she nicely disconnected the phone without being any helpful at all but rather mercilessly. 4 hours of efforts plus the frustration that I couldn't book my little girl's ticket for her to visit her Dad. Disgusting service beyond someone can imagine.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

Had to cancel 3 flights due to covid restrictions. Spent 4 hours on phone to get refund. Qantas staff member confirmed they were able to refund to my account, but they refunded to my ex partner (despite confirming they wouldn't, otherwise I would have had voucher). I had been through their internal process and provided all account details as they requested. On the day of refund I got email to say it had been refunded to my ex partner. I called again and they said there is nothing they could do and that the Qantas person had given me incorrect information. I provided proof of telephone calls and emails, but Qantas just said I need to speak to my bank.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I spent 6 hours last week contacting QANTAS about their change to one leg of my domestic flight. Their new time didn't fit with the first leg. I have now been waiting since last week for email notification of the verbally confirmed change I made. The new flight isn't showing on my booking. My husband (not me the purchaser and flyer) received an email during last night to advise me that QANTAS is offering the agreed change this leg of flight to the agreed time (last week) but if I want to change it it will cost $200 more. It is suspicious that they didn't contact me the flyer so that I received the notification immediately.

I have now waited another 3 plus hours today to clear the matter up and still no answer, I'm on hold yet again. I have never been treated this poorly by any other business and I'm appalled at their lack of concern or integrity in not honouring this fare leaving only one flight via a Low Covid Risk city. I am also distraught that they don't appear to want to honour the first booking at the confirmed fare price.

Their flights do not suit Perth Frequent Flyers who can't travel through High Covid Risk cities due to quarantine requirements of our Premier. I am elderly and on a mercy visit to my daughter who has no carer for her after surgery prior to Christmas. I am returning to care for my husband with very low mobility and no immunity to Covid. I have received no care from anyone in QANTAS who are acting by stealth and questionable contact methods, which is not good business practice. Can Consumer Affairs do anything to help the unfortunate consumer? And now? Alan Joyce this stops with you.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

Post-Covid Qantas has demonstrated one of the worst corporate behaviors that I have experienced. A simple act of redeeming vouchers (worth thousands of dollars) to make a booking has been made so complicated that - it cant be done online. Which service-oriented company in 2021 relies on phone-based booking of the 1970s? I have literally spent more than 15 hours sorting out a simple process of booking domestic flights. I am not sure what kind of strategic planning was done during the quiet days of the COVID-19. CEO appearing on TV and saying book your holidays without actually ensuring that adequate IT system, processes, and staff are in place is laughable - seriously. The post-covid debacle deserves a "0" rating!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Yet another poor experience with this airline. This time, despite having my baggage (containing 10s of thousands of dollars worth of sensitive electronic equipment for work) heavily marked as "FRAGILE", it comes out on the carousel upside down. Goodness know how it's treated out of the consumers sight. Also, the high quality lock was missing. When I mentioned this to the staff member on duty, all I received was an "Oh dear" as she walked away.

Qantas Company Information