2. Travel
  3. Travel Agencies

Hicksville, NY

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.83/5

Overseas Adventure Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overseas Adventure Travel?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overseas Adventure Travel?

Original review: June 20, 2020

I paid a $350 pre-deposit for OAT's trip to South India for 2021, which is refundable until dates are selected. OAT informed me that that are not running the trip in 2021 due to COVID, so I requested a refund. It's now been over 2 months and I haven't received the refund. I've called a couple times and have also sent emails, which they never respond to (maybe because they don't want a paper trail?). The last time I called they said it would take 90 days for them to refund the money. I'm now going to try going through my credit card company to see if the amount can be credited to my credit card (one of the reasons I would never pay them with a check).

I've traveled with OAT 11 times, and have had wonderful experiences, but their front office is a real problem. Undoubtedly they are having cash flow problems, but this isn't the way to treat long-time customers. I've seen other reviewers note that they are now trying to give credits for future trips rather than refunds for fully paid trips. I have 2 trips planned with OAT for 2021. I have downloaded the terms and conditions that I agreed to for those trips and took screen shots of my account showing the date of the agreed to terms. These terms pre-date the new terms recently adopted by OAT and provide for a refund for any trips cancelled by OAT, rather than a credit.

I would advise anyone who signed up for a trip with OAT prior to COVID to download the terms that they agreed to. It would be useful to have this information in writing in the event OAT cancels a future trip and refuses to provide a cash refund. Their new policy dated May of 2020 (and later versions) does note that they have the option of providing a travel credit, which they would undoubtedly opt to do. In the meantime, if COVID is still an issue 90 days prior to my next departure and they haven't yet cancelled the trip, I will transfer the deposit to another trip rather than letting them hold the entire balance while I fight with them about providing a refund.

Original review: June 19, 2020

Beware! I made a $1000 fully refundable pre trip deposit (I have that in writing from them). When the 2021 trip was announced I elected not to go. Since March of this year they have held my money and NOT RESPONDED to 7 e-mails. I have traveled 8 times with OAT/GCT and enjoyed all my experiences. Something is very wrong now. Are they suddenly incompetent, unethical, or insolvent? Is it due to Covid? They should at least have the decency to explain things to a former frequent traveler.

Original review: June 17, 2020

OAT has been unbelievably difficult in issuing a full refund for the tour THEY canceled due to COVID19. We had a group of 14 friends booked for a tour to Costa Rica in June 2020 for a cost of $50,000. Due to COVID19, OAT decided to cancel our trip and reschedule a different trip to July 2021. The group members decided the changed itinerary and new travel dates were not agreeable and requested a full refund (via phone, email and two registered letters) by the 60 day deadline for getting a refund per the terms and conditions in place at the time our group paid for our trip.

We've had to write complaints to the Better Business Bureau, MA Attorney General, and dispute credit card charges to get any response. As of 6/16/20, only a few members have received their refunds. We had traveled with OAT in the past and thought they were a company that we would use for future trips but unfortunately, after this experience, we will never travel with them again.

Original review: June 14, 2020

I cancelled my summer trip on 2/28 before agreeing to the terms and conditions but after making two deposits. OAT agreed I was due the full refund. I have spoken with them at least three times since and it’s now 6/13 and still no refund. This is shameful.

Resolution response: Sept. 25, 2020

This issue is resolved. I received a full refund from OAT for the Iceland tour August 2020 and several letters of apology. OAT is a wonderful company to take tours as if you book early you can reserve a single. Also it is a company that you can immerse yourself in the culture and people of the country you are touring.

Original review: June 13, 2020

I travel frequently with OAT. August 2019, I paid in full over $8,000 by electronic transfer for Untamed Iceland and a post trip for August 2020. The trip was cancelled due to COVID. As I have prepaid for a trip in 2021, they are holding over $18,000. Due to recent family and self medical bills, I need the monies refunded for the Iceland tour. They have had my money for a year and now OAT wants to keep it for 2 more years. My request is ignored. I will take action suggested by others and report them.

Original review: June 12, 2020

Our Ultimate Africa trip with Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) had to be canceled due to the COVID19 pandemic. OAT has offered us only travel credit- no refund. Our current health and financial circumstances necessitate a refund of the $17,840 we paid to OAT. A travel credit is not a viable option for us. We have written to OAT and the parent company, Grand Circle Travel, and received no response. We continued to try reaching them by phone, but the phones are never answered. At this point, we are filing a complaint with the Massachusetts' District Attorney's Office. We are extremely dissatisfied with the treatment we've received from OAT.

Original review: June 9, 2020

On February 20, 2020, Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) cancelled our trip to China scheduled to depart on September 20, 2020. This was confirmed in writing saying that we would receive a full refund of $16,452.60. Now OAT refuses to make good on that refund, instead saying that they are offering us refund in the form of a travel voucher. A travel voucher is NOT a refund. We have communicated our request for a refund by email and registered letter with no results.

Original review: June 6, 2020

Like many who have complained here, Overseas Adventure Travel lied to us when we canceled our trip and requested a refund 90 days before the trip. According the the Passenger Agreement we are allowed a full refund minus an administrative fee of $300/person. After saying we would get a refund, they later told us the agreement was changed and only a credit for a future trip is possible. We filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Massachusetts Attorney General Office. The AG Office was very helpful and we did get our refund after a month.

Clearly OAT cannot change a signed Passenger Agreement. Note that if OAT cancels the trip, you are supposed to be offered three choices, one of which is a refund, under Massachusetts law. Google "Mass. 940 CMR 15" and see Section 15.06. You are entitled to a refund by law but to get it you have to go to the Mass. AG Office or hire a lawyer. OAT will not honor the Passenger Agreement or follow Mass. law. Good luck.

Original review: June 5, 2020

Formerly satisfied customer. Booked trip to Vietnam last fall. Bought insurance and OAT promised we would be eligible for a "cancel for any reason" refund. On March 20 I got the Cancellation Confirmation email. It said, in part, "This leaves a difference of $**** which you will receive as a refund in the manner in which it was paid". I called after ten days and they said things were really backed up and wait till June 1. Called on June 5 and got nothing but a run around. Call Allianz, they say. Maybe you'll get cash maybe you'll get travel vouchers, they say. Our policies have changed, they say. I say "BS". They're going to screw this old couple out of our retirement money.

Original review: May 27, 2020

Updated on 09/24/2020: I ended up filing a complaint with BBB, AG of Mass and Calif and FTC. It took 3 months of work but I finally got all my money back. OAT will only refund your money if you file complaints. It is a shame that the company was in violation of Mass Law and only responded to refund request if complaints were filed. OAT has lacked ethics in handling customers complaints and refunds. Although I took several trips with OAT, I will not travel with this company. They blatantly lie to you. Before you decide to travel with OAT please look at reviews. Look at BBB rating. Buyer beware.

Original Review: I have booked several trips with OAT. I had several trips booked with them all the way through 2021. I always take trip insurance. I had a trip schedule for Africa June 6, 2020. It was a back to back trip. I called in March before lockdown and was assured if OAT canceled I would get a full refund or could use for future travel. OAT canceled my trip in April but refused to give me cash back and rebooked my trip for following year. I want my cash back and there should be some type of consumer protection.

On March 27, 2020 I canceled my trip for Jan to Thailand. I have confirmation e-mail I would get total cost of trip less cancellation fee of 300 which insurance trip insurance would pay for. I filed a claim with trip insurance. I received from Allianz a waiver saying OAT would contact me. I then received a travel voucher credit for future travel protection and a travel credit for the remainder of my purchase price of trip. I have a confirmation e-mail stating I would receive my cash back. How could the Trip insurance not honor my $300 Claim and how can OAT agree to give me my cash back and not follow through. How legal is it to hold people’s money.

They are not a ethical company. I loved traveling with them because of small group size and single supplement. I do not feel this company is ethical as there are complaints with BBB, Attorney General of Mass, TripAdvisor and several other travel sites. They need to be taken to court as I was lied to by their travel advisors and I also have confirmation from them, stating I would get a cash refund for my canceled trips.

Overseas Adventure Travel Company Information