1.41/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 11, 2017

625 Motel 6 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I arrived at the Freemont, CA Motel 6 and checked in on Oct 8, 2017. The motel appeared to be nearly full judging by the full parking lot. After checking in, I was pleasantly surprised to see an open parking spot directly in front of my assigned room. I got out of my car & opened the door of my smoke-free room only to be surprised by the strong smell of cigarette smoke. I have COPD & had specifically asked for a smoke-free room & was told all the rooms were smoke-free. I walked directly to the office & told them about this. After they told me they would tell the cleaning staff about my complaint they finally realized I was asking for another room. They then told me I could have one adjacent to the pool or one on the second floor. I explained there were no parking spaces available near these rooms. They then made it clear these were my only other options.

The pool area is very noisy and I was exhausted. I have total knee replacement so the second floor was not an option. I resigned myself to the fact that I would have to sleep in a room reeking of cigarette smoke and proceeded to my car to unload. Having went directly from my room to the office after checking my room I had not noticed the large spot of dried up vomit on the passenger side of my car (see attached photo). The parking spot was directly in front of my door and I was exhausted to complain further so I unloaded my car from the driver side. As I unloaded my car I noticed several cigarette butts around the front door of my room. I then went to brush my teeth and turned on the water at the sink to rinse. The water came out in different directions spraying all over me and the mirror as well. I was finally able to use it by carefully turning the water on at a very low flow.

I then went to get a shower. The shower had not been cleaned so I cleaned it with a hand towel and my shower gel. After beginning my shower I looked up and noticed that what I believed to be mold was on the ceiling (see photo). I finished my shower & went to sleep. Upon awakening I decided to turn on the TV as I was packing up. The TV didn't work and the remote batteries were held in with duct tape (photo attached). This wasn't a big deal but added to my Motel 6 experience. There are other small things that were wrong as well which were small but telling.

I called a friend before I left & he recommended that I take photos. Wish I had taken one of the bathtub before I cleaned it. I have stayed in other Motel 6's and found them to be generally clean and comfortable. This was an exception. Just tried to download images. The mold, vomit & remote photos came through but the sink video would not download. I will save it if you need to see it and on a medium that will accept videos.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

When we checked in we were told that the pool was closed for maintenance. Got to the room and it was bare bones. NO amenities at all. Cable, phone and WiFi was out. This is a huge place and only had one ice maker, and it was in the building furthest from us. I am disabled and walk with a cane so this was not easy for me. My wife called both corporate and the motel itself to complain with no results. When she called the Motel 6 she was actually cursed at. We will NEVER stay at another Motel 6.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Worst motel I have stayed - Our money should be refunded. Lots of dealing going after dark. Shower not working properly. No coffee in room. No bedside tables by bed. We stayed 2 nights of misery. Bedside had a chair with a alarm clock on top of a BIBLE. I am disgusted that we went through. By the way I there for my sister funeral. Whoever works there should be ashamed of themselves to serve the public.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

This is by far the worst experience I have ever gone through. Nastiest motel ever, was infested with roaches then there was a huge bed bug on the pillow. The front desk didn't want to change rooms for us or give back the money. Don't ever stay there, they have people living in these things like apartments.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I called a week in advance to book a room at Motel 6 in Tewksbury for Oct. 13th and 14th. I arrived there on the 13th, spoke with the young man at the desk, telling him I had a reservation. Though I was holding my confirmation number, he only asked me to use my credit card. I was given a room, moved in, and went to visit my grandchildren. I returned later that evening and left the next morning to see them again. When I returned that night, the 14th, my key card only opened the door to the point where someone inside had slide the security bolt on. When I went to the desk, they said they had only booked me for one night, and, there, behind the desk, was my luggage. They had gone into the room and packed my belongings. Clearly, when I left my clothes hanging up and medication on the table, I was returning.

They did not bother to check to see their mistake. They gave me another room on the top floor, a challenge for me with replacement hips. When I returned home, I discovered that my medication and phone/tablet chargers were missing. The motel had also charged 3 nights on my credit card. Though these charges have been removed, they made no effort to rectify their mistakes. Clearly, this could have been worse had I walked in on the people who were then in "my room." I have been using this motel for the past decade and had no problems. However, I would never return and would warn anyone against going there. They handled my personal belongings, packed it up, without ever checking to see if there was an error on their part. Terrible management and dangerous use of key cards.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Motel 6?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Motel 6 North Palm Springs, Ca. Fire alarm goes off numerous times at midnight. When you call to ask why, they kick you out in the middle of the night. Keep your money. They are awful. It's better to pay for a nice hotel. This motel 6 is corrupt. Never go there. The people that work there are on **. My friend worked there. She told me she had to quit because everyone was on **. I now believe her.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Ok! Where to start. I had previous booked the hotel on Booking.com. The requirements stated 19 to book a room. When I get to the hotel they stated I had to be 21. Even though "Sam" cancel my room due to my age he refused to refund my money. I will be contacted the Better Business Bureau to file a formal complaint as well as contacting the corporate office. When I walked in the front desk clerk had a nasty attitude already. Don't waste your money.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Sept. 8 I needed a room after days without rest due to botched Mexican surgery on my daughter who was admitted to San Diego hospital to save her life. I got a list from the hospital of cabs and hotels that they recommended and gave good deals to their families in need. I made a reservation for the 8-9th. Cab was called and away we went to San Diego Chula Motel 6. I live in Louisiana and know nothing of California. I had not had a bath in days and no sleep either. When I checked in I was given directions to my room on a third floor by pointing... When I got to the room I showered immediately although I did note mold in the shower. When I got out I had to cancel a flight and rearrange. I did this and something bit me.

I was on the phone and scratched but waited about 15 seconds before I realized something had bit me in the bed! When I jumped up a bug was crawling where my ankle had been and the bite had occurred. The room was filthy, smelled like a bar with cigarette smoke and had an ashtray in a non-smoking room. I threw back the linen and was horrified. There were crawling bugs, bugs playing dead and human hair, dirty feet area, and I was horrified. I was dressed and down to the lobby with luggage in less than a few minutes. I reported what I had found and they just looked at me. I requested a refund but they couldn't do that without the manager. The manager was not there of course. They called her and she said she could not do anything till the Terminix man examined the room and told her it was bed bugs. WTH! Bugs in a bed = bed bugs.

I produced photos of bugs, dirt, hair, mold, etc. and a video of the bugs crawling on the sheets. They just kept smiling in that innocent, I don't know what to do way. I told them I was checking out and gave them back the keycard. Called a cab and waited. That is when I noticed these were not the normal traveling clientele. These were people who lived there all the time. Junk cars, cursing women who would fit on a street corner better and partial payments with threats of having to leave if they did not pay what they owed in full. They had mentioned that they had guards on the premises at dark and I would be challenged if I was to wander around. I thought they were just extra safe. Seems this is a regular stop for dope dealers and crime according to other encountered.

I did not get my money refunded. Did not get the advertised senior discount, the no smoking room I reserved or the queen bed let alone bug free. I am aware sometimes things are gonna happen but not this. I know now that Motel 6 has a 1 1/4 star rating. I can't understand why it is that high. I have contacted corporate but nothing but runaround... I did receive written promise that their reservation specialist will be with me as quickly as possible. Guess he is booked up. Way over a month now. NEVER BUT NEVER WILL I DARKEN THE DOOR OF A MOTEL 6 ANYWHERE. MIGHT AS WELL TURN THAT LIGHT OFF.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

My shower has not worked since Thursday. They told me to wrap a towel around it. They Never came and cleaned my room till today. I have paid 57.80. Every night and they haven't done nothing nor will they switch my rooms. I'm not happy about this at all. You don't treat people like they are dogs.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I reserved a "deluxe room" and the accompanying picture showed a small kitchenette with fridge, table & chairs, 2 beds, etc. Upon my arrival, I was assigned a small room with 1 bed and no kitchenette. I informed staff that I paid for a deluxe room. I then got a room with 2 beds but no kitchenette. I was informed that the student fridge and tiny microwave on the floor was a kitchenette. It is clearly not what was pictured as a deluxe room! Very deceptive.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Motel 6 Albuquerque Nm on Prospect: This location is riddled with homeless drug addicts and drunks about 90% of "guests" are homeless panhandlers that beg in the area for their drug money and in order to rent a room. 1 room at times will house up to 10 homeless all using in the room. I found dirty needles all around the property. Was at times afraid to leave my room due to the amount of people asking if I knew where to score or begging for money or asking for cigarettes. This entire city has drastically gone downhill due to the lack of assistance for homeless and it especially in this area has become a huge problem. The staff is very sweet and professional. I feel sorry for them having to put up with this daily.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I never thought too much on Motel except that it was cheap and available and mediocre on crimes and such. But one particular location I stayed at one of the days had such an amazing manager and staff. I really know a good business when I encounter one. Not only do they have a great manager who has customer skills naturally and you know when she manages well when you see her staff demonstrate similar hospitality (or same shift staff). Her staff are really friendly people (you know the workers that doing their job but don't really care or care about you or the business or service you receive?). Yes, they actually make at least an effort to give you satisfying service and I'd say is a promising deal and makes your stay so much better.) Not only did I really receive a real 5 star hospitality from every maid and worker, and (maybe by luck), also an amazingly friendly environment.

I was not asked to do this survey, and I was not whatsoever unconsciously writing a meaningless star act out of kindness. I haven't received this great of service for a long time and I have visited at least 11 different locations this last six months. I didn't realize they had such a low score and don't feel they deserve it. I honestly give them a better rating than Extended Stay San Jose staff members by far and a little safer or head to head on that one. Extended has more cops patrolling, and Hotel 6 has a better staff patrolling by far watching and following policies. A staff that appreciates feedback is one who does care about improving and being better. Today was fantastic experience thanks to Motel 6!!!:) I am happy and satisfied. Of course others have had bad experiences but the Fontaine Motel 6 in San Jose is the only one I was talking about.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Motel 6 in Fullerton CA is a great place to stay. Rooms are clean, service is great and the price is right. If you are going to visit Disneyland, it's not that long of a drive and there is a Denny's right next door with good food and not high prices.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Upon checking into the Motel 6 in Thibodaux Louisiana several nights back after a long long long trip with three friends and two dogs decided it was time to pull in and get some rest. If only we knew what was ahead of us. We checked into a room that was damp. It was so damp that the walls were sweating. There was mold growing on the roof. The AC was not working. Contacted the front desk several times. No one answered. We had to go in person to the front desk to report the room and its conditions to only find there's only one person working at the hotel and she was outside smoking and on her phone. Seems it had an attitude. When she had to rekey a room and make us move we move to the second room. We checked into that room. We noticed dead roaches in the tub.

The icebox had standing water. On the inside of it with mildew and dead nuts and was not working. The beds were not made. Look like someone woke up and left in a hurry. Again we had to go to the front desk. She was outside still smoking and on her phone. We got moved to the third room. Finally some relief. It was cold. It seemed very clean. The icebox did work. However the TV cord was cut but we didn't care. The next morning we were woken up by a maintenance lady who just walked into our room and our dog was in bed with us.

Our dog did with any other dog would do in this situation. We are all asleep. The door abruptly opens and someone that the dog has never seen before comes barging in. Say "excuse me. I have to look at the ceiling to make sure that there's no water". The dog charged after her and did not bite her and she leaves screaming down the balcony like a maniac which is the wrong thing to do because that'll only make a dog further its attack. I don't understand how policies are written for these hotels when you say it's pet friendly but you don't enforce people to have camels. If people need to keep their animals in kennels to prevent these types of things from happening then it should be made aware of at check in at the front desk.

This lady that likes to smoke and play on her phone could clearly see that we had two dogs and no kennels. She watched just move to three different rooms. Keep in mind further I don't see how anyone of any type of personnel can just walk into a room without knocking first making themselves heard. These employees need to be trained properly. You work in a pet friendly hotel. You are walking up to a room. You do not know what is on the other side of the door. You need to make yourself heard and please request that your dog is restrained or picked up that you have to enter the room that would be the professional thing to do. But clearly this place doesn't know anything about professionalism.

I am now going through a lawsuit right now with this hotel because of their lack of better judgement and I do not think it's right but all good things come in good time. This is a full-out warning for anyone who thinks about checking into this hotel. These are the type of things that you will be subject to. We were also kicked out of the hotel as if we did something wrong. My dog ran away out of a frantic state and ran in the road and a few days later we discovered that she had been killed by a car on the road. Now comes my lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Arrived the evening of September 14th 2017. The immediate observation was the sickening smell of mold. The air conditioner was off. I turned it on and adjusted the temperature to 65 degrees. Pictures below reveal the physical appearance of the room, about which no prior notice was given. Shortly after, management called to receive my comments about the room (seemed a routine gesture). Based on my comments, a manager came to the room. By this time, the smell had been partially abated. My mother was in the bathroom where the mold smell was still strong, but manager was unable to access in order to assess at the time.

Instead, she denied a problem concerning mold; she said it might be paint smell; dismissing my report. As for the unfinished presentation of the room, she simply said that I was given the room because I needed a first floor room for my 94 year old mother. She did add that she would leave a note and block the room for future use. NO OFFER FOR COMPENSATION OR OTHER CONSIDERATION, other than to say no other first floor rooms were available. This I find to be completely unacceptable. I asked for a refund.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I stayed at this motel over the weekend and I noticed the room was fixed properly and everything was very comfortable. I also noticed a maintenance person. I asked him his name and he said Henry and he helped me unclog the toilet. He was very respectful and nice. And I will be return back to this location.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Overnight trip was scheduled for Friday September 1st. I found out it was canceled on August 31st, so I called the hotel in Maryland Heights, MO Thursday evening to cancel. The lady I spoke with at the front desk said no problem and said it was canceled. Two days later, I'm billed for the room and listed as a no show. I can provide my phone records to show that I called to cancel that Thursday, but somehow a Motel6 can only look back at the previous 100 calls, so they have no record that I called to cancel. Mistakes happen - I get it. The lady at the front desk forgot to do something obviously, but the responses I received from the customer service and manager were disconcerting at best. I will never stay at another hotel from this chain again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

On August 31, 2017, by mistake I made two reservations. Upon checking in one reservation was canceled. When we went to our room we had to leave due to the odor. We checked out and our money was reimbursed. And next day Sept 1st the $60.74 was drawn out of my account again. I don't understand how they just tampered with my account with no permission!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Motel 6 lost hills, CA. - This place was disgusting. Gap in door letting black bugs in. Mold on window. Cakes dirt in corners. Baseboards were black. Shower was awful. Peeling tape, dirty drain and caulking dirty and peeling. Could not take a shower. Parking lot needed cleaning.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

So I had to stay at Motel 6 North York. I started getting bug bites so they tried to give me another room which had dead cockroaches all over the floor and one crawling up the wall! Do not stay there. It is filthy!!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I stayed at this motel September 3 - 4, 2017. This hotel is a disgrace to the Motel 6 brand. The hotel is filthy, infested with roaches, I found one crawling in my hair, no working phone, the bathroom are filthy and full of graffiti. The elevator is in poor condition. The manager cannot be reached. I stayed in one room 10 min because there was menstrual blood and trash in bathroom, next room was horrible infested with roaches.

I mean complete infestation with roaches nest all over bathroom. I stayed in 5 minutes before demanding refund. I was told I will have to wait until 8 am, I was forced to stay here after moved to 3rd room, it was dirty, towels are dingy, microwave had someone else food in it. I'm not looking for luxury with motel 6, but I do expect it to be clean, bug free, drug free, and filth free. This so below motel 6 standards. Please look into this place ASAP.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

While traveling home from a long trip, my husband could not drive any longer. We decided to stop for the night at a motel/hotel that was nearest to the highway we were traveling. The only one available was a Motel 6 in the area of Humberg or Hamburg PA. When we entered the room, we were very shocked at how dirty, smelly and just plain filthy!!! The room evidently was a smoking room. That was not what we asked for. Due to no other room availability, we had little to no choice where to stay. We checked in at approximately 12:30 am. When we awoke in the morning, the room was visible, we packed what we had with us and left!!! Upon arriving home, we both took every item of clothing and toiletry items were either washed 3 times or thrown away!!! Please pass this message on to Motel 6 Corp? They need to know just how trashy conditions of that particular facility!!! Thank you for your time.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I would give -0 if I could. I was treated terrible by their night auditor at this location. I had to cancel my reservation because of the hurricane. Due to a natural disaster no fault of my own. I personally am safe but the towns around me are flooded and as a result, flights got delayed and canceled. I have already filed a BBB complaint, however, I will document everywhere I can find to make sure people know how DISGUSTING the service was. The auditor was abusive, condescending, rude, crass, argumentative and just downright ugly. I called guest relations and magically things get addressed. This shows me someone was lying. I am also going to share on all my social media accounts. They will not get away with this. I have posted this complaint on twitter, pissed consumer, yelp, here, I am just getting started. You NEVER treat a customer with disdain or contempt EVER.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Well let's start with the smell of pot EVERYWHERE and if you want a manager he will not talk to you and when you say there is a dog barking 24 hours 7 days a week they do nothing. Drug dealers try to sell you stuff at the pool. The only good thing is that the Milford police drive through every hour. I found a drug pipe under the chair in my room the 4th day when I ask the maid if I could vacuum my room. How good could my room have to been cleaned before. Now after my boyfriend complained they want to send maid service to our room after 17 days. WOW. That room is cleaner than when we rented it. I EVEN CLEAN THE TOILET!!! THIS PLACE IS BAD!!! HOPE THIS PLACE GETS CHECKED OUT!!! UNDER NEW OWNERS IT CAN BE NICE!!! I feel bad for the families that are paying too much for their kid inhaling pot all day!!! The owner need rehab.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Upon check in: Need more towels. Burn hole in pillowcase. Dirty bedspreads. Broken toilet tank lid. Toilet tank would not fill. Used ice bucket with water to flush toilet. Smoke alarm beeped every 90 sec. Needed new battery. Bathroom door would not shut completely for privacy. Complained to duty clerk at 10:30 P.M. Told to check with owner in A.M. Checked with duty clerk at 8 A.M. Told to come back later. We had to leave and called again about 10 A.M. Owner still not there, was told that the owner would return my call and gave the clerk my cell #. Called again on 8/21/2017 at 2:00 P.M. EDT, owner still not there, duty clerk took my phone # again and was told to expect a return call.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Motel 6 195 E. Tropicana Las vegas, NV. - Came to front desk and asked for manager and was told he was running errands. I then explained to them my issue and they had a big security guard rudely get in my face and push me out the door. I was frightened by these ** people and embarrassed. I would recommend to not stay here or even come close especially if you have children.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

My friend and I along with our sons' was traveling from Atlanta, GA to Chattanooga, TN. We decided to stay overnight in East Ridge, Tn. We arrived at approx 3:50 pm and paid 70.00 cash for a room with 2 double beds. It was hot out and boys wanted to go swim. So we put our stuff in room and went to pool for couple hours. About 10:00 we were all ready to settle in for evening, I pulled a nasty stained thin bed cover back and to my surprise there was a dead bug on sheet. EWWW... It gets much worse. I just took that sheet off bed and was ok with just one sheet. Around midnight I was awoken by an intense urge to scratch my feet and legs. My friend Christy was already awake with same problem. So were our sons - we pulled covers back and was shocked -- there was bed bug feces along with blood stains on mattress. I ran into the bathroom and threw up for 10 min.

We took pics of the vile and unsanitary conditions we saw. Around 2:30 in morning we all agreed to cut our vacation short and go home! So I went to the office and told lady working (didn't get her name but she was a ** lady working the night shift on Fri Aug 18th thru Sat am Aug 19th 2017.) that we were leaving due to bedbugs and I wanted my money back or at least half of it. She said No she couldn't do that, I advised her I was calling Tenn board of health, BBB, filing a bed bug report -- and by the way Motel 6 has another complaint from 2016 that never got any attention or resolved. DON'T STAY AT MOTEL 6 -- EAST RIDGE TN!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

Motel 6 in front royal VA - I arrived at the motel to find out that the pool outside was drained and that's the main reason I have stayed here in the past. I specifically reserved a room with 2 double beds on 1st floor a month in advance and I ended up with a King bed and the room had no table to sit at. The sink in the bathroom was so small that I had no room to put my toiletries. The door had a gap around it after it was shut big enough to see thru if needed.

The Lobby had to have been 90 degrees and there was no coffee pot in the room and the coffee pot in the lobby was so small that it had to continuously be filled and the coffee was so bad that we ended up at 7-11 getting coffee. This is a ridiculous place and we will never stay there again. Housekeeping came in and emptied my trash and did not even clean bathroom or make bed up.There was hair in the bathtub :( When I opened the drawer in the nightstand it fell over because it was being held up by a piece of wood...

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Motel 6 in Roswell, NM is by far the most disgusting place I have ever stayed at. The bathroom was dirty, smelled like pee and the towels were dingy with hair on them. The comforter had blood on it and the sheets were dirty. The clerk was outside arguing with her boyfriend while people were ready to check in and there were people smoking ** in the elevator. Not a family motel at all and I will never stay at another Motel 6 again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Hotel in Seaford, DE charged me $141 for a king room. When I called Motel 6 headquarters to complain, all the representative did was argue with me. He hardly let me speak without interruption. So, I came here. Disgusting and dirty room. For $141, all I got was a bed, 2 hard chairs, table with TV, dirty and disgusting bathroom, toilet seat not secured, microwave and fridge (which I didn't even want to look in). Everything skeeved me out. There were no tissues, no alarm clock, no toiletries, no hair dryer, no extra pillows (king bed only came with 3), no extra blankets, no closet, no coffee maker. The walls had holes and were very dirty. I felt very dirty and unsafe. I didn't even shower there in the morning. I would have preferred to sleep in my car. DISGUSTING!!!

Motel 6 Company Information