2.08/5
Based on 65 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

74 Hyatt Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

Stayed 4 nights at Hyatt Savannah, Ga beginning June 5th. At desk the representative insisted on my charge card for "incidentals". Room charges were supposed to be charged on a school system credit card. Three times the desk was reminded that the charges for the room were NOT to be put on MY card. Imagine my shock when I returned home and checked my account to find $923.43 Charged on my account. A hold was placed for the amount and apparently nobody Thus my account was short over $900.

I called, my bank sent along with my letter of explanation 16 pages to prove my allegations, my Superintendent emailed and called, and every time we got a different person. What is the matter with these people? Still have not been refunded charges and hold on partial amount is still on. Lovely, friendly people and staff, but NEVER give them a credit card not to be used for room charges.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The Colorado Springs Hyatt Hotel is a very clean. Modern hotel with good amenities and an attentive, very polite staff. Also, price was very competitive with other hotels in the area.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2018

The mattress I had at Hyatt (New Orleans, LA) was nasty with blood and urine all over it. Too nasty for words! I would not recommend this hotel due to the condition of the mattress that was only discovered as I was leaving on March 10. Management tried to hide it with a blanket but I saw how vile looking it was, but only after I had already slept on it 4 nights.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I had a very nice, quiet, excellent room service in Chicago. Clean, well lit room, and it was close to my destination. I Would Recommend This To my Family And Friends.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

My husband recently stayed at the Hyatt located at 5252 W. Alabama Houston Tx 77056. Which consist of valet parking. In my book means, "Give me your keys. I'll park your car," and it will be taken care of. BUT that was not the case. My 2017 Chevy limited edition car was almost stolen. The driver window was broken! Nothing else was taken or damaged but my complaint is the Hyatt refuse to take responsibility and gave me the lame excuse that the lot we trust then to park our vehicle was and is not own by them!! No "I'm sorry" or "What can I do for you" or anything. I ended up fixing my window and will never stay at this location or recommend it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyatt Hotels?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I stayed at this Hyatt (Greenville/Haywood, Greenville, SC) on Aug. 8-9, 2017. The reason I selected this one as it was advertised as being newly refurbished. It was anything but... The sofa was torn, the bed/mattress was deplorable and when I got in bed that night, I knew the bottom sheet and pillow were not fresh. After my appts. the next day I came back to the hotel to relax and was immediately bitten by fleas as they were all in my bed, and made their was all day into my suitcase, backpack, etc. There was even blood on my robe that the acting manager took to be cleaned. I drove home at 11pm. The fleas got in my car, garage and home, in the heat of the summer. I live alone and do not have pets.

The GM, Marie ** told me they had a dog show there a week or so ago! I have in writing that she would take care of my pest control, dry cleaning, pest supplies and verbally my house cleaning. When I told her my pest company told me not to use my luggage, backpack and now they were in my briefcase, as the fleas hide in the seams, I needed to go buy new. This was the first time I had used the luggage and Tumi briefcase and Tumi backpack as I had just started my job. When I asked her to reimburse these expenses, she said she would turn it over to their insurance company, Hanover.

Four weeks later I was told I had scabies, as they show up about 4-5 weeks after exposure!! I had not traveled anywhere else and as I stated I knew that bed was not clean! I contacted Hyatt guest relations, Tracy **, who said they would work with me as it should not cost me "a cent out of my pocket". I needed multiple treatments for the mites, my company car had to be towed twice due to fleas, my home treated twice for fleas and then I had to vacuum, wash daily sheets, towels, clothing, put in plastic bags for 7 days. My home is only 4 year old! This was physically exhausting.

I had made multiple calls to Marie, Hanover, and Tracy in guest relations. I had not been feeling well in early Nov. and went to my Dr.'s office. I had 3 seizures while in her office and was transported via ambulance to the hospital. Test were negative but after speaking to poison control and the National Pesticide Information, I was having side effects from all the ** used on me, in my home and my car. This has caused incredible pain and suffering. Here we are heading into 2018 and no one will return my calls, my pest supplies, etc. Medical expenses and supplies needed to go 7 days have totaled $5000. This has created a tremendous hardship on me, not to mention my health, well being and loss of productivity with a new job. I should not have to hire an attorney to have this resolved as I was told my expenses would be covered between the GM, Hanover (Steven **) and Tracy **, guest relations.

My symptoms were classic of ** toxicity, headache, dizziness, confusion, joint pain, muscle weakness, tremors, severe malaise, fatigue and including convulsions. It acts the same as organophosphate poisoning and can remain in my home, car for 6-9 months. I just want to be reimbursed and put this horrific issue behind me. The way this was handled, or should I say not handled was so unprofessional and I don't think any Hyatt Board member would like their significant other being treated this way while on a business trip. A company needs to stand behind its mission, vision and values and this is not conducive of the Hyatt way!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I had built enough Hyatt award points for a few free nights' stay. I logged into award website a few days back to see my points were forfeited. I called the customer service and person told me that the points were forfeited due to inactivity in my account for 2 years. I was never notified about this event. The customer service person mentioned that 6000 points (fraction of what I had) can be restored. It would be insufficient points to get any free night. That person further tried to sell me award points so I can qualify for a free night. At that point, I was not in mood to deal with any of that.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

On December 3rd (Sunday), I arrived to Hyatt Place Lake Mary/Orlando - North hotel and checked-in (room# 118). When I arrived to the room, first thing I notice was a large stain in the carpet. There were other spots in the carpet. I place luggage by the sofa, and my snacks on the counter where the refrigerator was located. I open the refrigerator to place my drinks, and there was this horrible smell that came from the refrigerator. I closed it, immediately and placed my drinks back on the counter. Trying to work with those two issues, I went towards the bed area, and notice there was a huge stain on the bedspread. At that point, I went to the front desk to see if I could change rooms. The gentlemen stated they looked to be booked but check tomorrow to see about changing my room.

I figured I will just sleep on the other bed. I went back to the room. I get ready to iron my clothes for work tomorrow. I went to restroom and lift the top to the toilet, and there was a feces stain underneath the top. That was the last straw. I started recording all of the unpleasantries as validation. I went back to the front desk and told them I need to be moved due to all of these findings. They moved me to the 2nd floor (room# 218). I went back to the room and gathered my belongings and went back to the front desk to exchange keys. When I get to the room **, I open the door, and there are stains in the carpet. I was the phone with a co-worker and stated here we go again. I went over to the bar area and was about to place my drinks in the refrigerator. When I open the door, this horrible smell came from the refrigerator, again. I left my drinks and snacks on the countertop.

At different places in the carpet, it sound like my shoes were velcro to the carpet. This time, there was no stain on the bedspread and did not see any stains on the toilet. I did not want to complain about the refrigerator or carpet, again. I decided to go to dinner, and I would find another hotel the next day after work. I returned back to the room to iron my clothes and get ready for bed. I open the closet to retrieve the iron and ironing board, and the floor base trim had come apart from the wall. I started shaking my head. After work on Monday evening, I visit the Hilton hotel, Homewood Suite, and Westin Lake Mary. I was very disappointed, because all of the hotels were booked. I am not sure if an event was taking place.

The only option left was to see if the Hyatt Place near the Orlando, FL airport had any openings. I decided that it was too much to travel 40 minutes there and 40 minutes back between the hotel and facility where I was doing training. I decide to bear through it. I called my director and told her what I experienced. I refuse to stay here, again. I never been so happy to check out of a hotel. It bothered me to the point where I showered with flip flops, and my eczema flared up due to the irritation. I uploaded the receipt. Also, I have attached a couple of photos, and one is a video recording of the different issues. It does not seem like the video is being accepted in the upload due to the type of file. I will be more than glad to email the video if someone would provide me with an email address.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Hyatt Hotel in Anchorage, Alaska was one of my most greatest experiences ever. Great service. Beautiful rooms and cleanness. Awesome staff greets you with smiles. Pleasant to be around.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

First, I have been going to this hotel in Houston Sugarland, TX for a few years with family. Recently, I stayed at the hotel for Thanksgiving for one day. I checked out and my bill was $134, but I happen to check my bank account and noticed an additional charge. Keep in mind, NO ONE contacted me about the extra charges. I had to call the Accounting department and no one was listening to me. The hotel accused me of something that I do not do which is SMOKING, but received an email from a manager, Matthew ** with a different reason for charging my card.

The information received from customer service and email from manager did not match. I called customer service and spoke to two reps (Crystal & other name unknown), supervisor: Juan, and manager, Mark **. It was very frustrating dealing with customer service as a whole. Yes, I fussed Mark ** out because he was very rude to me over the phone. I asked for Corporate information and he told me nothing will get resolved and the charge is not going to change. The housekeeper lied as well. I waited on the supervisor to call me back and that didn’t happen. Unfortunately, all customer service people just read notes from a screen and believe what the hotel management says instead of listening to the customer. I do know some people can lie about things, but I did not and that is why I was so disappointed with their response.

I was accused of smoking. I do not SMOKE AT ALL. I can take a lie detector test to prove my innocent. I will NEVER go back nor recommend this Hyatt Sugarland, TX to anyone. After reading other reviews, it appears these type of things are a trend for this company and no one do anything. I am also concerned this place of business will continue to do this to customers and get away with it. It is sad how a good company can keep overcharging customers without giving a valid explanation. A courtesy call from Hotel management team would have been helpful before charging more money on my card. Secondly, the room had hair particles all over the room including restroom. The hotel was also VERY LOUD from other guests, but I chose to stay because it was close to family member and we were leaving early in AM before checkout time.

I WILL NO LONGER RESERVE ANY ROOMS with this company. I use to love this hotel, but now it has left a bad taste in my mouth. You can go back to this hotel, but I will not EVER. I am entitled to share my bad experience about this hotel. What are customers right when dealing with such problem. It appears these types of situations are getting lost in limbo. I dealt with this issue for three days with no resolution. I consider this situation as a consumer defamation of character.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Greenwich, CT - Front desk was on the ball, check in was a snap. Minor issue with room handled in less than 20 minutes. Room service was on the spot. Manager on duty called 20 minutes later to check to see if everything was ok.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Chicago, IL - Great location, great facility, great service. Every Hyatt we've stayed in is always excellent! We have never stayed at a Hyatt property (and we've stayed at many of them, both in the US and Europe) and did not love it! The best hotel chain in my opinion.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Hyatt Hotel in Dallas Texas is a great location! Great staff!!! And clean room! As always, I was not disappointed by my Hyatt experience. Looking forward to my next visit or location.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Hyatt Suwanee GA USA is a nice clean hotel. The staff was helpful with the exception of 1 person. I would definitely recommend it. The breakfast was nice and convenient for us.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Hyatt Hotels in Miami Beach, Florida has daily cost to use beach amenities whether you used them or not. Hotel parking was rather costly. No coffee pot in room. However, the room was overlooking the ocean with a balcony. Great staff, clean property although somewhat pricey.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Hyatt Columbus, OH - Good hotel. Shower pressure is really low which almost makes me not want to stay there but the location is so convenient and clean. Staff is very friendly. Should provide guests with shower cap, lotion. Soap is kinda smelly.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

For us, Hyatt Hotels in Lakewood, Colorado was a 5 Star hotel. It was in Belmar, a shopping/residential mall in the heart of Lakewood. You could walk to restaurants and stores. The hotel was beautiful and fairly new. We go to Denver every summer and can't wait to stay there again. Highly recommend a suite.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

Please read through this prior to considering booking your event with the Hyatt Regency New Orleans. I booked 3 events, one on Dec. 17, 2016, Dec. 18, 2016, then, July 9th 2017. Please keep in mind that all these events were elaborate, with wedding decor alone, costing of $50,000 plus, other than the plated dinners, etc. First, Dec. 17, 2016 was a Henna Party. All went well except for the fact that all the items I brought with me, decorated henna baskets, decorated sticks for dancing, etc. all were missing when when my husband went to pick up everything we brought for the Dec. 17, & 18th, 2016 event.

Wedding: Dec. 18, 2016. I hired babysitters in the babysitting room and had ordered pizza from the Hyatt Regency for the kids dinner. The waiters were serving the children adult plates which I was charged extra for, stating that we had overages. Invoice was around $8,000 after all that I paid for the dinner Henna, and wedding reception. I paid the invoice, but the hotel seemed to show no remorse for my missing items. The only good thing I have to say about those 2 events was that the wedding planner assigned to us through the Hyatt Regency, (Michelle **) was wonderful to work with, but she is no longer employed there. I am hoping she didn't lose her job due to the missing items which were not her fault when she had told us she placed them in a locked conference room.

The nightmare was July 9th. We were treated terribly by the new wedding planner that was assigned to us, Rhonda **, and her manager Andreas **, even during the tasting! I was informed 2 or 3 weeks prior to July 9th, (wedding day), that another event was booked in our ballroom for the same day, and the ballroom will be available to my decorators, vendors, etc. at 3:00 PM for our 6:00 PM wedding reception. At that point, I felt like I'm going to have a stroke! I called up corporate office and complained, they spoke to Rhonda, and then, Rhonda told me they can offer me a different ballroom, (their worst one), or they will try to accommodate my decorators and provide them with space the day before, and at 3:00 PM, they can move everything into our ballroom for the wedding reception. This included setting up a white dance floor. I had no choice but to accept.

The night of the wedding reception: First, and Foremost, NO RESERVED SIGNS AT FAMILY TABLES!! Guests sat at the family tables, and we were being polite not to ask them to leave, so family tables were taken by guests, due to no reserved table signs as I had requested to Rhonda. We had agreed to coffee stations (in our contract), to be set out next to the dessert tables and infused water to be set out too. I asked Rhonda for the coffee and infused water to be set out at the beginning, during, and the end of the wedding reception, coffee was never set out, neither was infused water. No coffee, or infused water was ever set out.

At the end of the reception, I asked Rhonda about the coffee once again. She told me the urns were in the kitchen and no one listened to her to set them out, and blamed it on the Sunday staff. She also said that my guests were served coffee individually, when in fact, I was told by my guests they were dying for a cup of coffee, and never got it.

Requested cake cutting assistance, sent chef to help about 15 minutes after requested, and no sparkling cider in the bride & groom's champagne flutes! Dinner table weren't set up right. I requested a full place setting with Fleur De Lis napkins and got flat square folded napkins. No dinner plates. Just a small plate for a bread roll. Thank God for my wedding decorators because they saved the day to distract my guests from all the other obstacles, and the Hyatt Regency's mess ups, including the topper on the wedding cake actually falling on the floor. They replaced it, so that worked.

When I asked Rhonda about the table settings, she said we were crunched for time due to the previous event, and the staff had no time to do the table settings I requested. I booked my 2 sons' weddings which were 7 months apart and gave the Hyatt Regency New Orleans a lot of business, but will never do it again. I am disgusted that they got away with treating us like this after having 2 elaborate weddings which costed $300,000 plus!

Original review: July 14, 2017

I am a loyal, Hyatt Diamond level customer-for now. And when I say loyal, I go out of my way to stay at Hyatt hotels even if not the most convenient choice. For example, I am on the Board of Directors of a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Cambridge, Ma. My fellow board members stay at the Marriott close by the headquarters but I choose to stay at your Hyatt Cambridge much farther away. I am also on a state commission which meets in Sacramento Ca. The hotel of choice for various reasons for my colleagues is the Sheraton or the Citizen but I choose the Hyatt. For decades the Century Plaza was truly my home away from home and now that it is no longer in existence I stay at the Andaz rather than a more conveniently located hotel of another brand.

Why do I do this? Because the Diamond level brings a few amenities which make being away from home bearable. Being greeted in a welcoming manner; staff making an effort to remember your name (and, no, this courtesy is not extended to the occasional customer); a room that contains a free bottle of water, a robe and my favorite tea; most of all access to the Regency Club if there is one (an important respite from the crowds in the lobby bar or restaurants).

Now that you have more than doubled the required nights there is no way I will ever be a globalist or beyond! Your new program requirements say to me, very loud and clear, Hyatt does not want me as a loyal customer. I now have no incentive to go out of my way to stay 25 or more nights at a Hyatt. I am now going to choose based on convenience and location. Whoever came up with this new program wants to clear out all the longtime loyal patrons. What a shame!

Original review: July 14, 2017

I recently spoke with Jessie over in the Hyatt Gold Passport customer service. I have been a Hyatt customer for a long time but never had such great customer service. They mostly always do a good job but Jessie was fantastic! I had a complex reservation with award nights, points, transfers etc. and he handled it so well and in a very timely manner. He was extremely efficient and very professional. He gathered all the necessary information, kept me informed of all the communication the whole time. It was just such a pleasure talking to this individual. This kind of service makes me want to continue to keep my business with Hyatt, great job!!!

Original review: July 12, 2017

Poor service in all inclusive resort. We stayed in Hyatt Ziva, Cancun with group of 69 people for family reunion. Overall property and location gets 5 star review but the service at restaurants get 2 star. Lorenzo, Habanero has the worst managers for all inclusive resort. They don't realize that all services and food is already prepaid in advance. They should be more customer friendly and flexible especially when there are not many options for vegetarians. They refused to do anything for such a large group and we were mostly left with only one option to eat at common buffet place for 5 days... I would request Hyatt to take some actions on this issue for future business. Mr. Misael ** (manager at Lorenzo's Italian Restaurant) should get fired for his attitude and poor customer service.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I booked a room for 1 adult and 3 kids at Puerto Vallarta on Hyatt.com at the rate of 490/night. Later I found all other site like Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz for the same room, dated number of people for the rate of 279/night. I submit best rate guarantee form to Hyatt. Later they denied my price match with a lame reason is that other site price only for 1 adult, when I check in at the hotel then I will be charge for the kids. To make my point I booked with Expedia and Hotels.com the same date, number of people so I can have a copy of my confirmation to showed it to Hyatt. On my confirmation with Expedia and Hotels.com both showed number of people and all the information are the same. But they still denied my price match. They said that other site problem, I have to solve with them.

So, I called both company and they told me yes, that price is correct for everyone. I do not have to pay anything extra when I get there. Hyatt still denied to do price match. If Hyatt not willing to do price match then don't advertised. I am very disappoint with Hyatt and will never stay with this company again. Horrible service, they scam people to book with them and not keep what they advertise. I always been stay with InterContinental Hotels which is excellent, never have any issue with them. This is my first time with Hyatt and also last. In December I had a trip to Thailand and have a little issue with InterContinental. With no question ask, they give me room discount from 429/night to 129/night and add extra breakfast buffet at 2 differences restaurants for us family of 5. Unlike Hyatt 5 stars hotels but scam.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I stayed in Hyatt Place, Gurgaon Sector 18 for 3 nights. And had to make a call to my credit card company (German - TOLL FREE NUMBER). I called the number from my room and they charged me obscene amount for that call INR 150/min plus WEIRD TAXES which includes: 1. Telephone & internet LUXURY tax 10% - this was supposed to be free with the room. 2. Telephone & internet LUXURY others services tax 14% - what does this even mean. 3. Telephone & internet LUXURY other service SBC 0.5% - what does this even mean. 4. Telephone & internet LUXURY other service KKC 0.5% - what does this even mean.

On top of this they added another "LUXURY tax". This is daylight robbery. They are cheating people to their face. I requested to speak to the manager but the people at the front desk said" Manager is busy and will call me in 10-15 mins " and I never got a call from them. Never book Hyatt, I will certainly not and strongly not suggest it to my family and friends.

Original review: May 22, 2017

Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach located at 175 Paoakalani Ave., Honolulu, Hawaii 96815 is for the most part unconcerned about our rental car being keyed while in the custody of the valet team parked in the HYATT Place garage. The Hyatt Place doesn't make you aware of the parking charge for your car when you book the hotel... A whopping $32.00 per day, and we were staying for 20 days, $640.00 that was unbudgeted for during our honeymoon. I was shocked when I saw the first day's charge on my credit card. I had to make this up somehow, in order to have a decent vacation. I figured tipping the valet guys $1 would be my answer. But obviously the valet guy was pissed.

I returned my car to "Kaipo", a valet, on May 12, and picked it up from "Kaipo" on May 13. My new wife, and I discovered our car had been keyed to the bare metal on the driver's side rear door, and rear fender. I reported this incident to Mr. **, the hotel's manager. He yessed me to death, and called the police to document the damage to my vehicle. He has yet to offer any compensation, not even a written hotel letter apologizing. In other words, THIS HOTEL DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ITS GUESTS!! And allows its employees to DO WHAT THEY LIKE!! How would you like that type of incident to be a memory from your honeymoon for the next 50 years??

Original review: May 10, 2017

This complaint is directly related to Hyatt Ziva in Cancun. I was injured on the property in my room falling down a staircase made of stone with no handrails. The General manager has had me dealing with his assistant who on the phone relays one message i.e. reimbursement for stitches in hospital bill $1515 + meds, upgrade fee for that room $400, and possible reimbursement for the room itself for at least three nights where I was injured. I had to get five stitches, had severe bruising from my back down to my leg, and constant therapy and care when I got back to the United States. Every time the hotel communicates with me the message always changes. They told me they would reimburse my emergency room charges and prescriptions first and that has yet to be done. This injury occurred on April 6, 2017.

Original review: April 9, 2017

Hyatt Zilara Cancun - We have stayed at numerous Hyatt's, including this one, and have always had a pleasant experience. We stayed at this property from 3/27/17-4/2/17 in a $934 suite. The exterior of the swim up suite was falling apart. We had to ask for our amenities. The air conditioner did not work. After daily reports to maintenance, we finally got an assistant to an assistant manager in the room. It was confirmed the air conditioner was broken. They offered a room change, but we were leaving in 12 hours. They offered a free dinner on the beach, but we were not interested. I suggested they take care of our spa charges, they agreed. (In the end they took $150 off the bill). The hot tub worked for one day.

My husband has a severe nut allergy. Never had an issue at previous Hyatt stays. Every day they would stick our room with nuts. It was recorded on our room number as they mentioned it every time we went into a restaurant. Our last meal there, my husband went into anaphylactic shock in one of their restaurants and almost died. A $1600.00 Mexican hospital bill. No response from Hyatt except, "we are working to ensure this never happens again."

Original review: March 14, 2017

I had booked travel through Expedia to San Diego - Milwaukee - through Dallas. After getting hit by lightning in the plane, and enduring several delays, our flight from Dallas - Milwaukee was cancelled at 11:30 PM. We then had to scramble to get a hotel near Dallas, and had to fly out through Detroit to get to Chicago the next day, missing our meeting in Milwaukee. We had reserved a hotel in Milwaukee at Hyatt Place through Expedia, but because of the cancelled flight I called to cancel the room. They told me we would be charged for the two rooms regardless, even though this was in January and they were not even at 50% occupancy. In other words, they didn't lose any money. I appealed this decision to Expedia and American Express, and both told me there was nothing they could do. We spend $1mm a year with AX, and were a Hyatt Gold member, and we will never stay with Hyatt again - nor ever book with Expedia.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Hyatt in El Paso, TX. Professional, clean, very nice up to date furnishing, decorations. Every staff member polite always, "Good morning" when approached. Go out of their way to make things superb and to make you feel safe and at home. Food was great. Breakfast omelets were perfect not burnt! I am difficult to please on omelets. Raisin french toast smelled divine but can't have it. Coffee great and freshly brewed. Plan to stay next time here also. Great experience. Worth every penny. Will recommend again and again.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I am very picky with the hotels. I just think it's something really important when it comes to traveling so when we are going to travel I make sure to pick the best, one time I look online to one in Orlando and paid it. When we got there it was disgusting, they even had people smoking, they had a fight. It was a nightmare but after I stayed in Hyatt place hotel I always when I travel I look for the Hyatt place and never had a problem with anything. The best hotel in Houston, it's so clean, comfortable and they treat people really good.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I'll start by saying before my most recent experience with Hyatt I was a fan of the brand. I typically stay at the Hyatt when traveling domestically and wanted to try out the Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall in Montego Bay. I see the resort on another website for a lower price and decided to book with Hyatt and file a claim through the Best Rate Guarantee program. I booked the room and submitted the claim about 10 minutes later. The rate on Hyatt.com was $230... $2300 total for 2 people for 5 nights. Bookit.com rate was $184 for a total of $1894. I submitted screenshots of the site with the claim. I checked the price via my mobile web browser. The claim was denied a few minutes later. Saying that Bookit.com and Hyatt had the same price. I responded to the email and contacted Hyatt's consumer affairs via email. I checked Bookit's price again that night and it was still $184 a night.

The next day I called Hyatt and was transferred to Guest Relations where after waiting an hour and being told that my screenshot showed $230, which turned out to be a screenshot from the Hyatt associate that denied the claim, I was told that Guest Relations couldn't do anything about the matter anyway and I would need to contact that associate. I asked for a manager or supervisor from the Best Rate Guarantee department and was told I would need to get that information from the original associate that denied the claim. Aside: the day I contacted Guest Relations the Bookit.com price had actually gone up to $230.

Fast forward 3 days and I received an email from Savanah in Guest Relations saying that there was nothing they could do. Which I had been told 3 days ago from another Guest Relations associate. Prior to the email from Savanah, I had let the matter go. At this point I am highly disappointment in the lack of communication amongst the department same and within the Guest Relations department. The entire Best Rate Guarantee program seems like a marketing ploy that helps the company maximize profits by using unknowing guest to find resellers offering lower prices and mandate that they raise them to Hyatt.com rates. Ironically, I checked Bookit.com today and Hyatt.com and Bookit.com rate is 30% lower than Hyatt's.

Hyatt Hotels expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hyatt Hotels are upscale properties with full service amenities. They are part of the Hyatt Hotels Corporation, which includes 12 brands, and the Hyatt brand can be found primarily in large cities.

• Rewards: The Hyatt Gold Passport, a free rewards program, gives guests five points for every eligible dollar they spend at any hotel in the Hyatt family. These points can be used to book free hotel stays with no blackout dates. These points can also be converted into frequent flyer miles on one of Hyatt’s 30 partner airlines.

• Business practice: The Hyatt Hotels Corporation is devoted to its employees. The company has won FORTUNE "100 Best Companies to Work For" award multiple times and has several awards from the Great Place to Work Institute. Their Diversity & Inclusion program strives to make the corporation a welcoming place for people of all ages, genders, cultures, races, ethnic origins, sexual orientations and abilities.

• Corporate responsibility: Hyatt Thrive is the company’s corporate responsibility program, which seeks to improve the communities where Hyatt operates. In 2015, the Hyatt Thrive program donated almost $2.5 million dollars to local community programs in the form of grants. They also work to reduce energy consumption on their properties, and the company trains thousands of employees to recognize and appropriately respond to human trafficking in the hotels.

• Free Wi-Fi: All Hyatt guests have free Wi-Fi in their rooms and throughout the hotel. Similar hotels may charge $5-$15 for in room Wi-Fi.

• Dining: Hyatt Hotels have onsite upscale dining options and room service. Some locations also have separate bars and lounges. Many of these restaurants and lounges offer unique views of the surrounding cities.

• Best for: Hyatt Hotels are great for those looking for a more luxurious experience, including solo travelers, business travelers and couples.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs