Hyatt Hotels

Stars Rating

• 47%
  • 53%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyatt Hotels?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyatt Hotels?
    Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed July 6, 2020

All the Hyatt locations that I have stayed in are consistent in quality service. I rarely have any problems and when I do they are resolved quickly and courteously. I have stayed at both Hyatt Place hotels and Hyatt Regency locations. The people working there are always professional and go above and beyond.

Reviewed July 5, 2020

It was an awesome experience. Loved it!! Would definitely recommend this to all my friends and family. Would visit again whenever I get a chance. The customer support can be better. Also some kind of reward system can be established to motivate the customers to visit more often.

Reviewed July 3, 2020

I’ve never experienced a more pleasurable hotel stay than at any Hyatt. The rooms are kept very clean, nicely decorated and cozy. The staff are always very accommodating. I would prefer over any other hotel chain.

Reviewed March 22, 2020

I stayed at the Hyatt in independence, Ohio 3/21 and left 3/22.. I was charged 200.00 because the employees smelled smoke. I do not smoke. My boyfriend was with me. Who is a chainsmoker! He smoked 3 cigarettes before we went in and left the room to smoke. He always smells like smoke. He did not smoke in the room. This Hyatt location assumed we smoked and charged me 200.00. I am on leave from work due to the coronavirus and that was money for my other bills, and because they didn’t have that many customers, they decided to falsely accuse and charge me. I haven’t gotten any assistance with the corporate office! They basically stated it was up to that general manager to refund or decline refunding my money. I plan to move forward with any further action I can take at this point.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Feb. 12, 2020

I have never had a more difficult time making a hotel reservation. I requested 1 room, 2 guests and they gave me 2 rooms, 1 guest. After 5 phone calls to try to correct this ~ Got placed on hold for over 10 min., got hung up on, was told it was my fault... and speaking to the GM of the hotel, it still was not right. Corporate phone numbers just transferred me back to the local hotel. They were quick to charge my credit card for the 2 rooms, but I still have not received my refund. I cancelled the whole reservation. If it is this difficult to make a reservation, then I do not want to do business with them! (Hyatt Place Cincinnati/Sharonville Convention Center) Think twice before doing business with HYATT.

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2019

To Israel the first Hyatt staff I encountered (front desk) thank you for the amazing view from our amazing room. Margarita buffet restaurant host from La Plaza you’re awesome. Thank you for making our first meal of the day pleasantly good with excellent food choices and delicious ceviche. Food here is top notch - different cheese, sliced meat, fresh fruits, etc... Managers Jorge ** from LaPlaza and Octavia manager of Beach Grill thank you, for your excellent hospitality. Dolores from La Plaza thank you for being kind and friendly.

Everyday here at HYATT ZIVA was great especially all staff. My favorite restaurant are La Plaza, Bon Vivant, Beach Grill, and last Dozo. If you want to sit at the hibachi table make reservation ahead between 3-5 pm. 24 hours gym is awesome. Free weights up to 90 lbs. Activities was okay and the shows was also okay. The dancers both females and males was good, but they should take out the big head props, the old men routine and especially the ** Afro hair from Tropicana show, that was ugly and was a distraction to the pretty ladies. No basketball court here, adult pool was okay. No breeze going through. No beach swimming, I did love that they clean up plastic debris and any kind of debris from the ocean. The pool infinity was great.

Price

Reviewed Oct. 13, 2019

The Hyatt hotel brand is being destroyed by franchise owners. The Hyatt House in Morristown NJ is a filthy mess. The rooms are not clean and this includes the kitchen areas. Baked on grease on the stove and range hood including the oven. I walked the grounds outside today and it is a trashy mess. Screens pulled out of room windows and thrown into the landscaping. The pool side furniture is broken. The Morristown NJ Hyatt downtown is a beat up property as well. The Hyatt Corporate properties are much better by a long shot and it is reflected in the added cost.

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Aug. 10, 2019

My husband wanted to see a Twins game for his birthday, and since we live an hour from the cities, I booked a room at the Hyatt Regency for 8/9. At check-in, the desk clerk said we already paid for the room via Expedia but needed to see the card we used "to make sure the numbers match". No mention of additional fees or deposits was made at that time.

We headed to Target Field a couple hours later to buy game tickets, and were SHOCKED that we couldn't because our card was declined. We immediately checked our account and were STUNNED to see a $250 charge from the Hyatt Regency! I immediately called them and was told they charged $250 to our card for an "incidental deposit".

We were NEVER informed of this deposit, and NEVER authorized the charge. They nearly emptied our account and we couldn't go to the game or even out to eat - the only way we ate was to charge room service to the room - overpriced yogurt & pita! And, to add insult to injury - they said the deposit would have only been $50 if we reserved through the hotel, or gave them cash at check-in for it! What a huge waste and disappointment. Wish we would have just stayed home!

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed July 3, 2019

MONTHS ago, I reserved two rooms for the 4th of July holiday for a very good client and his family. At the time the reservations were made, the desk clerk assured me (after checking with the manager) that they would ensure that the two rooms I selected would be reserved for me. I should mention that a staff member took the time to show me several rooms right before I reserved these.

Today, I checked with the hotel (in person) to make sure that there were no problems with tomorrow's reservations. The desk clerk stated the hotel was oversold and we would not get the rooms I had reserved. To be fair, this hotel has only been opened for about 6 months and apparently some of the staff haven't been properly trained. Anyway, the reservations were cancelled. I stayed here before and didn't have any problems. During that stay, the housekeeping was excellent, the restaurant was top-notch, and the top floor bar was one of the best in the area. Too bad it's gone downhill in such a short time.

Reviewed June 18, 2019

We had stayed there 10 years ago and before that we stayed there on our honeymoon 30 years ago too. My husband emailed the woman that was in charge of the hotel and told her we wanted to come there to celebrate our 30 year Anniversary, When we first got there they had a heart on our bed made with a lei and the number 30 made with chocolate, it was so nice to see they went out of their way to make us feel special and The people there are so friendly and they are willing to help you with anything you need. They have the bar by the pool and they had a happy hour there and the workers there were great, so friendly and we liked them and the food that we ate there a few times during our stay. I would stay there again if we go back. Loved it!

Reviewed June 17, 2019

I recently stayed one night at the Hyatt House Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port located at 90 SW 18th Avenue, Dania Beach, FL. 33004. I had heard so many wonderful things about Hyatt but once I arrived I was not happy with what I saw. I got to the front desk clerk and he did not give me any eye contact. It made me feel like I was bothering him. I know the job is hard but first impressions mean a lot. Once I got into the room it all went down from there. The room was hot. I immediately went to the front desk and asked could I PLEASE change rooms because the air conditioning was not working. He stated that I will have to give it time because all the rooms are like that. He did not change our room.

I went back to the room and we had no remote for the TV. I called the front desk and asked could we get one please. It took 10-15 minutes for someone to bring one. Once we got that remote it didn't work. We had to go to the front again to ask for another one. That one did not work either. I finally saw a housekeeping lady in the hallway and asked her to please help us and she had maintenance bring us another one. To make matters worst the couch in the room was worn out, it was shabby and looked like it needed to be thrown out. We had two burned holes in the carpet, mold in the shower, and hair/dirty stuff in the draw inside the bathroom where the hair blow dryer is located. I never used the blow dryer. I was disgusted and wanted to get through the awful stay that I was experiencing.

To make matters worse once I got home I realized I must have left my keys inside the room. No one called me to inform me that my keys were found. I called the hotel back at 8:03 pm on June 16, 2019 and spoke with the same clerk that checked me in and advised him I stayed in room 116 and I wanted to know if any Keys was found. He told me, "Yes, housekeeping found them in the room". I was livid that no one from the hotel thought to call me so I could turn around or at least give me a courtesy call to let me know my keys were as located. I live 2 hours away and was locked out of my home searching for the keys. I am totally not happy with the stay at this particular hotel and do not think I will ever return.

Reviewed May 13, 2019

Went to Mother's Day brunch 4 seniors and 2 adults, until we went to pay the girl waiting on us said a senior is over 65 years old. I informed her on the Hyatt Hill Country website clearly stated a senior was 60 plus years old. With a I don't care attitude, she told me twice it was 65 years old and do I wanted to be seated or not. So I paid for 4 adults and two seniors. We were seated at 1 pm, no turkey, all gone, no ham all gone, crab fingers clearly refrozen several times, freezer burn and dried out, a very disappointing experience. It was a waste of 548.00.

Reviewed March 14, 2019

Although there are better hotels than the Hyatt chain, one of my favorite hotels is the Hyatt Regency in Aruba. It's my favorite because of the people. The hotel is not new, the amenities are not state of the art, but the service is second to none. I have been there countless times and have never seen the staff act disrespectfully to a customer.

Now, the Hyatt Keystone...Different story. I booked a ski trip and was unable to get there on the first day because the Denver Airport was closed and my flight was cancelled. Before I knew my flight was cancelled, I called the hotel and let them know my arrival was going to be very late, or not at all. They informed me of their cancellation policy, but said because of the impending storm, they were offering a 1 time waiver. The waiver would apply if I was unable to make it to the hotel on the first night of my stay. Although I know the policy, and didn't ask for a waiver of my first night (I booked 4 nights), I happy to know that it was available.

Then, after my flight was indeed cancelled, I had the misfortune to speak to a manager named Jamie. She was rude, condescending and in my opinion extremely ignorant. If you are like me, and you value good communication and respectfulness, this may not be the place for you. In my opinion, she should work at the NYS Dept of Motor Vehicles. She would fit in very well there... Customer service doesn't seem to be her thing. If she told me that one of her co workers, extended the waiver mistakenly, and it wasn't available, I'd be ok with that. The way she spoke and the contentious nature of our conversation inspired me to write this post.

Reviewed March 11, 2019

Mar 8, 2019 - Mar 11, 2019. We checked into the Hyatt House at 13351 W Midway Blvd in Broomfield around 9PM after a late night flight. We were given a handicap room on the 2nd floor. The rooms are nice and spacious with a separate bedroom off the living/kitchen area. The bathroom had a large barn door style door on it for handicap access. So it did not keep the odor or noise out; basically zero bathroom privacy. During the night you could hear doors closing and people stomping around so loud on the floor above us, that it woke us up during the night several times.

The next morning I contacted “**” who was running the front desk. I asked to be changed to a non-handicap room because of the noise and the fact that we literally had to hang our coats on the kitchen cabinet handles because the handicap closest only had shelves and rods at wheelchair height. I told her I would pay for any change or upgrade. She said she would check with housekeeping later (like those people are calling the shots for room assignment) and let me know. She didn’t even ask for my information until I insisted she write it down and call me back.

I went back up to my room and got on the Hyatt website and saw that they had availability for every type of room. I should also mention this hotel is under construction with remodel work and many areas have plastic taped over halls or areas, which distracts from the comfort and accommodations. Another thing worth noting is the walls and floors/ceilings are built very cheaply. I have stayed in a lot of hotels over the years and never been able to hear every door close, every conversation, or people walking around above my room to the point where it woke me up several times during the night.

After a few hours, my wife went back down to talk to “**” again. We offered to pay any amount to upgrade and move our room and told her we saw on their website that they did have rooms available. “**” said she had to hold those rooms in case real customers came in and that since we booked through a 3rd party seller, like Expedia, we had to stay in the room and had no other option. She told her to “read the fine print” and it says in there that Expedia blocks out and books the worst or least desirable rooms in the hotel, such as handicap rooms. “**” basically said, "Too bad, so sad."

We packed our stuff up and moved across the street to the Holiday Inn Express. This costs us several hundred dollars in non-refundable monies via Expedia, because we had 2 nights left on our stay at the Hyatt House of Cards. Two lessons learned here; never book through Expedia again for anything and never ever stay in a Hyatt Hotel. In my mind, ** is to blame at Hyatt house for her inability to understand customer service and doing everything to accommodate the guests.

Sales & MarketingPriceStaff

Reviewed Feb. 19, 2019

I recently stay at the Hyatt Regency in central Sydney and I would suggest booking ANYWHERE else if you can. The room was advertised as harbour view, but you could not see the harbour at all, when we complained, the staff did not care at all, and would only change or upgrade us for a cost! In addition to this, the hotel took $100 as a deposit and I am still chasing the refund of this deposit, 6 weeks later. This is a scam that they seem to do to everyone, as our friends also stayed there and still have not seen hide nor hair of their deposit either!

Reviewed Feb. 10, 2019

The disconnect between Central Reservations and the actual property results in a really bad experience for Hyatt guests. Hyatt emailed me prior to my arrival with 3 upgrade options. THE EMAIL NEVER SAID THE OPTIONS WOULD NOT BE AVAILABLE UPON CHECK-IN. At that time I took advantage of 1 option assuming I could get the other upon arrival since only one selection was allowed. I arrive only to find the $30 Club Access Lounge rate is now $70!!! Clearly there is NO PERKS to being a Hyatt Member and I will be cancelling my account, forbidding any employee to stay at any Hyatt property and sharing this experience with my social and professional networks. The front desk manager, Laura, was not empathetic at all which made a bad situation even worse. Marriott here we come!

Reviewed Jan. 5, 2019

Twice now I have experienced the worse service EVER in my life. I travel frequently and found out they charged me 3 instead of 2 nights. The hotel would not refund but called 800 number they promptly refunded me. Today I booked a room. My daughter could not check in without adding her as a guest. The hotel check in would not talk to me or accept a picture of my DL. Called the 800 number. Could not add my daughter without a manager's help. She put me on hold off and on 42 min. I finally drove to the hotel, checked her in and went back to work. I called again. I want my points back. After ten min I gave up!!! I recorded it all. I might have to see if it goes viral.

Reviewed Dec. 31, 2018

It is difficult to believe that I and the San Francisco Hyatt Regency and wanted to change my reservation and was told at the check in desk that couldn’t deal with the matter and I would have to call the number on the reservation email. I called that and it was a person representing a booking agent. The person had a foreign accent and I could barely understand the use of English. Of course my request was rejected. How could you adopt such an unfriendly system where reservation issues are so far removed from the hotel itself. The Hyatt system is supposed to be more professional than this.

Reviewed Dec. 27, 2018

My stay at the Hyatt Hotel in Atlanta was a great experience. From check in to check out the staff was very friendly and accommodating. I was there for a wedding and each party staying at the hotel expressed extreme satisfaction with the rooms they were staying in.

Reviewed Dec. 16, 2018

I frequently choose Hyatt Hotels because of consistent good service and location. They have good security check of vehicles approaching hotel (visual and dog). Greeted outside politely and ushered through security smoothly. Luggage is handled carefully. Front desk friendly and efficient upon check-in and check-out. Concierge is helpful with taxi and checking flight reservations. Rooms are very comfortable with a good view. Room amenities nice. Very nice pool and helpful attendants (water and towels).

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2018

I bought a $200 Hyatt Hotel gift card online. When I tried to use it in a Hyatt hotel, I was told the card is frozen, even though the hotel agent can see that there is a balance of $200. I called Hyatt customer service several time and demanded to speak to manager, but they told me that any Hyatt gift card is not purchased from Hyatt directly or from Amazon will be frozen and can't be used. I asked to provide the receipt to show that I purchased it, but they won't care about it. They said as long as it's not purchased from them or Amazon, you can't use it! It was a horrible company. That's such a easy way to make money, selling gift cards through a third party and then just freeze the balance. I have already tried to contact the company that I purchased from, but they can't help me since it's over one year since I bought it. I called my bank, but it's also too late to dispute the charge.

Reviewed July 11, 2018

The hotel over is pretty good, the room and the service are awesome. We enjoyed our time stay there. The only problem I had was with my Hyatt account while I called in to book a category 6 hotel in Moscow for 2 rooms using my open account free nights. I've been told one of them had been redeemed already. While I was booking the Monterey one I actually meant to use my anniversary free night for that booking since I know that was a category 4 hotel. However, the system chose to use one of my open account free night awards for that night without even gave me an option to choose which one I would like to redeem.

I contacted the customer service center to see if they can do anything. However, the first representative hang up on me while putting me on hold and the second representative was kindly telling me they can't do anything. I asked to talk to a manager to see if they can help me out. However, the manager was very rude and embarrassing me all the time with a haughty attitude. I feel I was offended with discrimination maybe because of my accent. I like Hyatt hotels very much, but I feel hurt to be a Hyatt card holder. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Reviewed June 18, 2018

Stayed 4 nights at Hyatt Savannah, Ga beginning June 5th. At desk the representative insisted on my charge card for "incidentals". Room charges were supposed to be charged on a school system credit card. Three times the desk was reminded that the charges for the room were NOT to be put on MY card. Imagine my shock when I returned home and checked my account to find $923.43 Charged on my account. A hold was placed for the amount and apparently nobody Thus my account was short over $900.

I called, my bank sent along with my letter of explanation 16 pages to prove my allegations, my Superintendent emailed and called, and every time we got a different person. What is the matter with these people? Still have not been refunded charges and hold on partial amount is still on. Lovely, friendly people and staff, but NEVER give them a credit card not to be used for room charges.

Reviewed March 27, 2018

The Colorado Springs Hyatt Hotel is a very clean. Modern hotel with good amenities and an attentive, very polite staff. Also, price was very competitive with other hotels in the area.

Reviewed March 25, 2018

The mattress I had at Hyatt (New Orleans, LA) was nasty with blood and urine all over it. Too nasty for words! I would not recommend this hotel due to the condition of the mattress that was only discovered as I was leaving on March 10. Management tried to hide it with a blanket but I saw how vile looking it was, but only after I had already slept on it 4 nights.

Reviewed March 12, 2018

I had a very nice, quiet, excellent room service in Chicago. Clean, well lit room, and it was close to my destination. I Would Recommend This To my Family And Friends.

Reviewed Jan. 14, 2018

My husband recently stayed at the Hyatt located at 5252 W. Alabama Houston Tx 77056. Which consist of valet parking. In my book means, "Give me your keys. I'll park your car," and it will be taken care of. BUT that was not the case. My 2017 Chevy limited edition car was almost stolen. The driver window was broken! Nothing else was taken or damaged but my complaint is the Hyatt refuse to take responsibility and gave me the lame excuse that the lot we trust then to park our vehicle was and is not own by them!! No "I'm sorry" or "What can I do for you" or anything. I ended up fixing my window and will never stay at this location or recommend it.

Reviewed Dec. 29, 2017

I stayed at this Hyatt (Greenville/Haywood, Greenville, SC) on Aug. 8-9, 2017. The reason I selected this one as it was advertised as being newly refurbished. It was anything but... The sofa was torn, the bed/mattress was deplorable and when I got in bed that night, I knew the bottom sheet and pillow were not fresh. After my appts. the next day I came back to the hotel to relax and was immediately bitten by fleas as they were all in my bed, and made their was all day into my suitcase, backpack, etc. There was even blood on my robe that the acting manager took to be cleaned. I drove home at 11pm. The fleas got in my car, garage and home, in the heat of the summer. I live alone and do not have pets.

The GM, Marie ** told me they had a dog show there a week or so ago! I have in writing that she would take care of my pest control, dry cleaning, pest supplies and verbally my house cleaning. When I told her my pest company told me not to use my luggage, backpack and now they were in my briefcase, as the fleas hide in the seams, I needed to go buy new. This was the first time I had used the luggage and Tumi briefcase and Tumi backpack as I had just started my job. When I asked her to reimburse these expenses, she said she would turn it over to their insurance company, Hanover.

Four weeks later I was told I had scabies, as they show up about 4-5 weeks after exposure!! I had not traveled anywhere else and as I stated I knew that bed was not clean! I contacted Hyatt guest relations, Tracy **, who said they would work with me as it should not cost me "a cent out of my pocket". I needed multiple treatments for the mites, my company car had to be towed twice due to fleas, my home treated twice for fleas and then I had to vacuum, wash daily sheets, towels, clothing, put in plastic bags for 7 days. My home is only 4 year old! This was physically exhausting.

I had made multiple calls to Marie, Hanover, and Tracy in guest relations. I had not been feeling well in early Nov. and went to my Dr.'s office. I had 3 seizures while in her office and was transported via ambulance to the hospital. Test were negative but after speaking to poison control and the National Pesticide Information, I was having side effects from all the ** used on me, in my home and my car. This has caused incredible pain and suffering. Here we are heading into 2018 and no one will return my calls, my pest supplies, etc. Medical expenses and supplies needed to go 7 days have totaled $5000. This has created a tremendous hardship on me, not to mention my health, well being and loss of productivity with a new job. I should not have to hire an attorney to have this resolved as I was told my expenses would be covered between the GM, Hanover (Steven **) and Tracy **, guest relations.

My symptoms were classic of ** toxicity, headache, dizziness, confusion, joint pain, muscle weakness, tremors, severe malaise, fatigue and including convulsions. It acts the same as organophosphate poisoning and can remain in my home, car for 6-9 months. I just want to be reimbursed and put this horrific issue behind me. The way this was handled, or should I say not handled was so unprofessional and I don't think any Hyatt Board member would like their significant other being treated this way while on a business trip. A company needs to stand behind its mission, vision and values and this is not conducive of the Hyatt way!

Reviewed Dec. 19, 2017

I had built enough Hyatt award points for a few free nights' stay. I logged into award website a few days back to see my points were forfeited. I called the customer service and person told me that the points were forfeited due to inactivity in my account for 2 years. I was never notified about this event. The customer service person mentioned that 6000 points (fraction of what I had) can be restored. It would be insufficient points to get any free night. That person further tried to sell me award points so I can qualify for a free night. At that point, I was not in mood to deal with any of that.

Reviewed Dec. 13, 2017

On December 3rd (Sunday), I arrived to Hyatt Place Lake Mary/Orlando - North hotel and checked-in (room# 118). When I arrived to the room, first thing I notice was a large stain in the carpet. There were other spots in the carpet. I place luggage by the sofa, and my snacks on the counter where the refrigerator was located. I open the refrigerator to place my drinks, and there was this horrible smell that came from the refrigerator. I closed it, immediately and placed my drinks back on the counter. Trying to work with those two issues, I went towards the bed area, and notice there was a huge stain on the bedspread. At that point, I went to the front desk to see if I could change rooms. The gentlemen stated they looked to be booked but check tomorrow to see about changing my room.

I figured I will just sleep on the other bed. I went back to the room. I get ready to iron my clothes for work tomorrow. I went to restroom and lift the top to the toilet, and there was a feces stain underneath the top. That was the last straw. I started recording all of the unpleasantries as validation. I went back to the front desk and told them I need to be moved due to all of these findings. They moved me to the 2nd floor (room# 218). I went back to the room and gathered my belongings and went back to the front desk to exchange keys. When I get to the room **, I open the door, and there are stains in the carpet. I was the phone with a co-worker and stated here we go again. I went over to the bar area and was about to place my drinks in the refrigerator. When I open the door, this horrible smell came from the refrigerator, again. I left my drinks and snacks on the countertop.

At different places in the carpet, it sound like my shoes were velcro to the carpet. This time, there was no stain on the bedspread and did not see any stains on the toilet. I did not want to complain about the refrigerator or carpet, again. I decided to go to dinner, and I would find another hotel the next day after work. I returned back to the room to iron my clothes and get ready for bed. I open the closet to retrieve the iron and ironing board, and the floor base trim had come apart from the wall. I started shaking my head. After work on Monday evening, I visit the Hilton hotel, Homewood Suite, and Westin Lake Mary. I was very disappointed, because all of the hotels were booked. I am not sure if an event was taking place.

The only option left was to see if the Hyatt Place near the Orlando, FL airport had any openings. I decided that it was too much to travel 40 minutes there and 40 minutes back between the hotel and facility where I was doing training. I decide to bear through it. I called my director and told her what I experienced. I refuse to stay here, again. I never been so happy to check out of a hotel. It bothered me to the point where I showered with flip flops, and my eczema flared up due to the irritation. I uploaded the receipt. Also, I have attached a couple of photos, and one is a video recording of the different issues. It does not seem like the video is being accepted in the upload due to the type of file. I will be more than glad to email the video if someone would provide me with an email address.

Reviewed Dec. 8, 2017

Hyatt Hotel in Anchorage, Alaska was one of my most greatest experiences ever. Great service. Beautiful rooms and cleanness. Awesome staff greets you with smiles. Pleasant to be around.

Reviewed Dec. 7, 2017

First, I have been going to this hotel in Houston Sugarland, TX for a few years with family. Recently, I stayed at the hotel for Thanksgiving for one day. I checked out and my bill was $134, but I happen to check my bank account and noticed an additional charge. Keep in mind, NO ONE contacted me about the extra charges. I had to call the Accounting department and no one was listening to me. The hotel accused me of something that I do not do which is SMOKING, but received an email from a manager, Matthew ** with a different reason for charging my card.

The information received from customer service and email from manager did not match. I called customer service and spoke to two reps (Crystal & other name unknown), supervisor: Juan, and manager, Mark **. It was very frustrating dealing with customer service as a whole. Yes, I fussed Mark ** out because he was very rude to me over the phone. I asked for Corporate information and he told me nothing will get resolved and the charge is not going to change. The housekeeper lied as well. I waited on the supervisor to call me back and that didn’t happen. Unfortunately, all customer service people just read notes from a screen and believe what the hotel management says instead of listening to the customer. I do know some people can lie about things, but I did not and that is why I was so disappointed with their response.

I was accused of smoking. I do not SMOKE AT ALL. I can take a lie detector test to prove my innocent. I will NEVER go back nor recommend this Hyatt Sugarland, TX to anyone. After reading other reviews, it appears these type of things are a trend for this company and no one do anything. I am also concerned this place of business will continue to do this to customers and get away with it. It is sad how a good company can keep overcharging customers without giving a valid explanation. A courtesy call from Hotel management team would have been helpful before charging more money on my card. Secondly, the room had hair particles all over the room including restroom. The hotel was also VERY LOUD from other guests, but I chose to stay because it was close to family member and we were leaving early in AM before checkout time.

I WILL NO LONGER RESERVE ANY ROOMS with this company. I use to love this hotel, but now it has left a bad taste in my mouth. You can go back to this hotel, but I will not EVER. I am entitled to share my bad experience about this hotel. What are customers right when dealing with such problem. It appears these types of situations are getting lost in limbo. I dealt with this issue for three days with no resolution. I consider this situation as a consumer defamation of character.

Reviewed Dec. 3, 2017

Greenwich, CT - Front desk was on the ball, check in was a snap. Minor issue with room handled in less than 20 minutes. Room service was on the spot. Manager on duty called 20 minutes later to check to see if everything was ok.

Reviewed Dec. 1, 2017

Chicago, IL - Great location, great facility, great service. Every Hyatt we've stayed in is always excellent! We have never stayed at a Hyatt property (and we've stayed at many of them, both in the US and Europe) and did not love it! The best hotel chain in my opinion.

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2017

Hyatt Hotel in Dallas Texas is a great location! Great staff!!! And clean room! As always, I was not disappointed by my Hyatt experience. Looking forward to my next visit or location.

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2017

Hyatt Suwanee GA USA is a nice clean hotel. The staff was helpful with the exception of 1 person. I would definitely recommend it. The breakfast was nice and convenient for us.

Reviewed Nov. 27, 2017

Hyatt Hotels in Miami Beach, Florida has daily cost to use beach amenities whether you used them or not. Hotel parking was rather costly. No coffee pot in room. However, the room was overlooking the ocean with a balcony. Great staff, clean property although somewhat pricey.

Reviewed Nov. 26, 2017

Hyatt Columbus, OH - Good hotel. Shower pressure is really low which almost makes me not want to stay there but the location is so convenient and clean. Staff is very friendly. Should provide guests with shower cap, lotion. Soap is kinda smelly.

Reviewed Nov. 23, 2017

For us, Hyatt Hotels in Lakewood, Colorado was a 5 Star hotel. It was in Belmar, a shopping/residential mall in the heart of Lakewood. You could walk to restaurants and stores. The hotel was beautiful and fairly new. We go to Denver every summer and can't wait to stay there again. Highly recommend a suite.

Reviewed Aug. 9, 2017

Please read through this prior to considering booking your event with the Hyatt Regency New Orleans. I booked 3 events, one on Dec. 17, 2016, Dec. 18, 2016, then, July 9th 2017. Please keep in mind that all these events were elaborate, with wedding decor alone, costing of $50,000 plus, other than the plated dinners, etc. First, Dec. 17, 2016 was a Henna Party. All went well except for the fact that all the items I brought with me, decorated henna baskets, decorated sticks for dancing, etc. all were missing when when my husband went to pick up everything we brought for the Dec. 17, & 18th, 2016 event.

Wedding: Dec. 18, 2016. I hired babysitters in the babysitting room and had ordered pizza from the Hyatt Regency for the kids dinner. The waiters were serving the children adult plates which I was charged extra for, stating that we had overages. Invoice was around $8,000 after all that I paid for the dinner Henna, and wedding reception. I paid the invoice, but the hotel seemed to show no remorse for my missing items. The only good thing I have to say about those 2 events was that the wedding planner assigned to us through the Hyatt Regency, (Michelle **) was wonderful to work with, but she is no longer employed there. I am hoping she didn't lose her job due to the missing items which were not her fault when she had told us she placed them in a locked conference room.

The nightmare was July 9th. We were treated terribly by the new wedding planner that was assigned to us, Rhonda **, and her manager Andreas **, even during the tasting! I was informed 2 or 3 weeks prior to July 9th, (wedding day), that another event was booked in our ballroom for the same day, and the ballroom will be available to my decorators, vendors, etc. at 3:00 PM for our 6:00 PM wedding reception. At that point, I felt like I'm going to have a stroke! I called up corporate office and complained, they spoke to Rhonda, and then, Rhonda told me they can offer me a different ballroom, (their worst one), or they will try to accommodate my decorators and provide them with space the day before, and at 3:00 PM, they can move everything into our ballroom for the wedding reception. This included setting up a white dance floor. I had no choice but to accept.

The night of the wedding reception: First, and Foremost, NO RESERVED SIGNS AT FAMILY TABLES!! Guests sat at the family tables, and we were being polite not to ask them to leave, so family tables were taken by guests, due to no reserved table signs as I had requested to Rhonda. We had agreed to coffee stations (in our contract), to be set out next to the dessert tables and infused water to be set out too. I asked Rhonda for the coffee and infused water to be set out at the beginning, during, and the end of the wedding reception, coffee was never set out, neither was infused water. No coffee, or infused water was ever set out.

At the end of the reception, I asked Rhonda about the coffee once again. She told me the urns were in the kitchen and no one listened to her to set them out, and blamed it on the Sunday staff. She also said that my guests were served coffee individually, when in fact, I was told by my guests they were dying for a cup of coffee, and never got it.

Requested cake cutting assistance, sent chef to help about 15 minutes after requested, and no sparkling cider in the bride & groom's champagne flutes! Dinner table weren't set up right. I requested a full place setting with Fleur De Lis napkins and got flat square folded napkins. No dinner plates. Just a small plate for a bread roll. Thank God for my wedding decorators because they saved the day to distract my guests from all the other obstacles, and the Hyatt Regency's mess ups, including the topper on the wedding cake actually falling on the floor. They replaced it, so that worked.

When I asked Rhonda about the table settings, she said we were crunched for time due to the previous event, and the staff had no time to do the table settings I requested. I booked my 2 sons' weddings which were 7 months apart and gave the Hyatt Regency New Orleans a lot of business, but will never do it again. I am disgusted that they got away with treating us like this after having 2 elaborate weddings which costed $300,000 plus!

Reviewed July 14, 2017

I am a loyal, Hyatt Diamond level customer-for now. And when I say loyal, I go out of my way to stay at Hyatt hotels even if not the most convenient choice. For example, I am on the Board of Directors of a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Cambridge, Ma. My fellow board members stay at the Marriott close by the headquarters but I choose to stay at your Hyatt Cambridge much farther away. I am also on a state commission which meets in Sacramento Ca. The hotel of choice for various reasons for my colleagues is the Sheraton or the Citizen but I choose the Hyatt. For decades the Century Plaza was truly my home away from home and now that it is no longer in existence I stay at the Andaz rather than a more conveniently located hotel of another brand.

Why do I do this? Because the Diamond level brings a few amenities which make being away from home bearable. Being greeted in a welcoming manner; staff making an effort to remember your name (and, no, this courtesy is not extended to the occasional customer); a room that contains a free bottle of water, a robe and my favorite tea; most of all access to the Regency Club if there is one (an important respite from the crowds in the lobby bar or restaurants).

Now that you have more than doubled the required nights there is no way I will ever be a globalist or beyond! Your new program requirements say to me, very loud and clear, Hyatt does not want me as a loyal customer. I now have no incentive to go out of my way to stay 25 or more nights at a Hyatt. I am now going to choose based on convenience and location. Whoever came up with this new program wants to clear out all the longtime loyal patrons. What a shame!

Reviewed July 14, 2017

I recently spoke with Jessie over in the Hyatt Gold Passport customer service. I have been a Hyatt customer for a long time but never had such great customer service. They mostly always do a good job but Jessie was fantastic! I had a complex reservation with award nights, points, transfers etc. and he handled it so well and in a very timely manner. He was extremely efficient and very professional. He gathered all the necessary information, kept me informed of all the communication the whole time. It was just such a pleasure talking to this individual. This kind of service makes me want to continue to keep my business with Hyatt, great job!!!

Reviewed July 12, 2017

Poor service in all inclusive resort. We stayed in Hyatt Ziva, Cancun with group of 69 people for family reunion. Overall property and location gets 5 star review but the service at restaurants get 2 star. Lorenzo, Habanero has the worst managers for all inclusive resort. They don't realize that all services and food is already prepaid in advance. They should be more customer friendly and flexible especially when there are not many options for vegetarians. They refused to do anything for such a large group and we were mostly left with only one option to eat at common buffet place for 5 days... I would request Hyatt to take some actions on this issue for future business. Mr. Misael ** (manager at Lorenzo's Italian Restaurant) should get fired for his attitude and poor customer service.

Sales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed June 5, 2017

I booked a room for 1 adult and 3 kids at Puerto Vallarta on Hyatt.com at the rate of 490/night. Later I found all other site like Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz for the same room, dated number of people for the rate of 279/night. I submit best rate guarantee form to Hyatt. Later they denied my price match with a lame reason is that other site price only for 1 adult, when I check in at the hotel then I will be charge for the kids. To make my point I booked with Expedia and Hotels.com the same date, number of people so I can have a copy of my confirmation to showed it to Hyatt. On my confirmation with Expedia and Hotels.com both showed number of people and all the information are the same. But they still denied my price match. They said that other site problem, I have to solve with them.

So, I called both company and they told me yes, that price is correct for everyone. I do not have to pay anything extra when I get there. Hyatt still denied to do price match. If Hyatt not willing to do price match then don't advertised. I am very disappoint with Hyatt and will never stay with this company again. Horrible service, they scam people to book with them and not keep what they advertise. I always been stay with InterContinental Hotels which is excellent, never have any issue with them. This is my first time with Hyatt and also last. In December I had a trip to Thailand and have a little issue with InterContinental. With no question ask, they give me room discount from 429/night to 129/night and add extra breakfast buffet at 2 differences restaurants for us family of 5. Unlike Hyatt 5 stars hotels but scam.

Reviewed May 24, 2017

I stayed in Hyatt Place, Gurgaon Sector 18 for 3 nights. And had to make a call to my credit card company (German - TOLL FREE NUMBER). I called the number from my room and they charged me obscene amount for that call INR 150/min plus WEIRD TAXES which includes: 1. Telephone & internet LUXURY tax 10% - this was supposed to be free with the room. 2. Telephone & internet LUXURY others services tax 14% - what does this even mean. 3. Telephone & internet LUXURY other service SBC 0.5% - what does this even mean. 4. Telephone & internet LUXURY other service KKC 0.5% - what does this even mean.

On top of this they added another "LUXURY tax". This is daylight robbery. They are cheating people to their face. I requested to speak to the manager but the people at the front desk said" Manager is busy and will call me in 10-15 mins " and I never got a call from them. Never book Hyatt, I will certainly not and strongly not suggest it to my family and friends.

Reviewed May 22, 2017

Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach located at 175 Paoakalani Ave., Honolulu, Hawaii 96815 is for the most part unconcerned about our rental car being keyed while in the custody of the valet team parked in the HYATT Place garage. The Hyatt Place doesn't make you aware of the parking charge for your car when you book the hotel... A whopping $32.00 per day, and we were staying for 20 days, $640.00 that was unbudgeted for during our honeymoon. I was shocked when I saw the first day's charge on my credit card. I had to make this up somehow, in order to have a decent vacation. I figured tipping the valet guys $1 would be my answer. But obviously the valet guy was pissed.

I returned my car to "Kaipo", a valet, on May 12, and picked it up from "Kaipo" on May 13. My new wife, and I discovered our car had been keyed to the bare metal on the driver's side rear door, and rear fender. I reported this incident to Mr. **, the hotel's manager. He yessed me to death, and called the police to document the damage to my vehicle. He has yet to offer any compensation, not even a written hotel letter apologizing. In other words, THIS HOTEL DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ITS GUESTS!! And allows its employees to DO WHAT THEY LIKE!! How would you like that type of incident to be a memory from your honeymoon for the next 50 years??

Reviewed May 10, 2017

This complaint is directly related to Hyatt Ziva in Cancun. I was injured on the property in my room falling down a staircase made of stone with no handrails. The General manager has had me dealing with his assistant who on the phone relays one message i.e. reimbursement for stitches in hospital bill $1515 + meds, upgrade fee for that room $400, and possible reimbursement for the room itself for at least three nights where I was injured. I had to get five stitches, had severe bruising from my back down to my leg, and constant therapy and care when I got back to the United States. Every time the hotel communicates with me the message always changes. They told me they would reimburse my emergency room charges and prescriptions first and that has yet to be done. This injury occurred on April 6, 2017.

Reviewed April 9, 2017

Hyatt Zilara Cancun - We have stayed at numerous Hyatt's, including this one, and have always had a pleasant experience. We stayed at this property from 3/27/17-4/2/17 in a $934 suite. The exterior of the swim up suite was falling apart. We had to ask for our amenities. The air conditioner did not work. After daily reports to maintenance, we finally got an assistant to an assistant manager in the room. It was confirmed the air conditioner was broken. They offered a room change, but we were leaving in 12 hours. They offered a free dinner on the beach, but we were not interested. I suggested they take care of our spa charges, they agreed. (In the end they took $150 off the bill). The hot tub worked for one day.

My husband has a severe nut allergy. Never had an issue at previous Hyatt stays. Every day they would stick our room with nuts. It was recorded on our room number as they mentioned it every time we went into a restaurant. Our last meal there, my husband went into anaphylactic shock in one of their restaurants and almost died. A $1600.00 Mexican hospital bill. No response from Hyatt except, "we are working to ensure this never happens again."

Reviewed March 14, 2017

I had booked travel through Expedia to San Diego - Milwaukee - through Dallas. After getting hit by lightning in the plane, and enduring several delays, our flight from Dallas - Milwaukee was cancelled at 11:30 PM. We then had to scramble to get a hotel near Dallas, and had to fly out through Detroit to get to Chicago the next day, missing our meeting in Milwaukee. We had reserved a hotel in Milwaukee at Hyatt Place through Expedia, but because of the cancelled flight I called to cancel the room. They told me we would be charged for the two rooms regardless, even though this was in January and they were not even at 50% occupancy. In other words, they didn't lose any money. I appealed this decision to Expedia and American Express, and both told me there was nothing they could do. We spend $1mm a year with AX, and were a Hyatt Gold member, and we will never stay with Hyatt again - nor ever book with Expedia.

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2017

Hyatt in El Paso, TX. Professional, clean, very nice up to date furnishing, decorations. Every staff member polite always, "Good morning" when approached. Go out of their way to make things superb and to make you feel safe and at home. Food was great. Breakfast omelets were perfect not burnt! I am difficult to please on omelets. Raisin french toast smelled divine but can't have it. Coffee great and freshly brewed. Plan to stay next time here also. Great experience. Worth every penny. Will recommend again and again.

Reviewed Jan. 19, 2017

I am very picky with the hotels. I just think it's something really important when it comes to traveling so when we are going to travel I make sure to pick the best, one time I look online to one in Orlando and paid it. When we got there it was disgusting, they even had people smoking, they had a fight. It was a nightmare but after I stayed in Hyatt place hotel I always when I travel I look for the Hyatt place and never had a problem with anything. The best hotel in Houston, it's so clean, comfortable and they treat people really good.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Jan. 13, 2017

I'll start by saying before my most recent experience with Hyatt I was a fan of the brand. I typically stay at the Hyatt when traveling domestically and wanted to try out the Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall in Montego Bay. I see the resort on another website for a lower price and decided to book with Hyatt and file a claim through the Best Rate Guarantee program. I booked the room and submitted the claim about 10 minutes later. The rate on Hyatt.com was $230... $2300 total for 2 people for 5 nights. Bookit.com rate was $184 for a total of $1894. I submitted screenshots of the site with the claim. I checked the price via my mobile web browser. The claim was denied a few minutes later. Saying that Bookit.com and Hyatt had the same price. I responded to the email and contacted Hyatt's consumer affairs via email. I checked Bookit's price again that night and it was still $184 a night.

The next day I called Hyatt and was transferred to Guest Relations where after waiting an hour and being told that my screenshot showed $230, which turned out to be a screenshot from the Hyatt associate that denied the claim, I was told that Guest Relations couldn't do anything about the matter anyway and I would need to contact that associate. I asked for a manager or supervisor from the Best Rate Guarantee department and was told I would need to get that information from the original associate that denied the claim. Aside: the day I contacted Guest Relations the Bookit.com price had actually gone up to $230.

Fast forward 3 days and I received an email from Savanah in Guest Relations saying that there was nothing they could do. Which I had been told 3 days ago from another Guest Relations associate. Prior to the email from Savanah, I had let the matter go. At this point I am highly disappointment in the lack of communication amongst the department same and within the Guest Relations department. The entire Best Rate Guarantee program seems like a marketing ploy that helps the company maximize profits by using unknowing guest to find resellers offering lower prices and mandate that they raise them to Hyatt.com rates. Ironically, I checked Bookit.com today and Hyatt.com and Bookit.com rate is 30% lower than Hyatt's.

Reviewed Sept. 16, 2016

The hotel staff was the most unfriendly and unaccommodating of which I found very unusual for Hyatt. The fact that we couldn't use our room during the day really impacted our experience and value we paid. The amenities are amazing. A great all-inclusive hotel. Amazing! Restaurants, shopping, pools, it was endless but so was the construction. When we arrived we noticed heavy construction just below our lanai. At 8 am the next morning, the construction noise was unbelievable. We asked if we could be moved and we were told no. It was hard to believe that we would not be able to sleep past 8 am and we couldn't use our room as the equipment noise and workers were so loud. It was very troubling that hotel staff didn't value us as guests worthy to offer us another room. Never would go back there.

Reviewed Sept. 16, 2016

Customer Service was one of the many excellent points about this hotel. By the way, this hotel is a Pet Friendly hotel (which didn't interest us) - but at no time where we ever disturbed by the dogs and never saw any pet "accidents." Excellent. The only very minor complaint was that my wife wished they had flavored creamers for her coffee. Thank You Hyatt!! I can't thank the staff enough. What a great staff at this hotel. As I stated earlier, I've been Hilton Honors Member for years and received what I thought was awful service from them. Hyatt has won me over and I am now a Hyatt Member. Looking forward to our next stay.

Reviewed Sept. 12, 2016

I was a loyal Hyatt customer. I accumulated 183,000 points over a long period of time. I changed jobs for 2 year period which resulted in an inability to stay at Hyatt properties. During that period they say they notified me via email and U.S. mail that a 2 year period of inactivity would result in account being canceled and my points being forfeited. I did not receive notifications. I want points reinstated.

PricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed July 11, 2016

Hyatt Place Washington DC - When we arrived to the hotel after a 9 1/2 hour drive we were told that hotel amenities would be $50 per night and valet parking would be $40 per night. The amenities expense was more than I expected it would be, but the valet parking expense was a total shock to me. Plus, it is not optional. I was staying under my points accumulated from previous stays with the Hyatt so the extra fees really was alarming... When I try to pay with my credit card my card was not scanning so the attendant told me did I have another method to pay with. I told them I didn't so I ask to pay with cash and he said they didn't accept cash??? So I went to Walmart to purchase a prepaid card and called customer service. They told me they spoke to the manager and they can type the card number in.

So when I got back the manager DID NOT apologize for the inconvenience or thanked me for my choosing to stay there. Then I ask him why they didn't type it earlier. He said the other guy was new and didn't know he could do that??? Again no apology or thanks for anything... (I left early. Only stayed one night, but was supposed to stay 2 nights because I was so upset. Remember I was free because I was on points. That's how much I was upset.) I've stayed at Hyatt hotels many times and have never been treated like this before. They was no hospitality, consideration, humbleness or appreciation. Even from the manager.

The hotel room was very nice and clean. Bathroom was spacious. Beds comfortable and smelled clean in room. Breakfast was good, but mostly everything was cold (ex. eggs, french toast, potatoes) which helped shine some light on my stay. This hotel is a very heavy crime area because all I heard was sirens all night and people who looked like they were "on" something roaming the streets.

Reviewed June 21, 2016

Hyatt Regency Long Island - I had called before my arrival (2 PM) to request foam pillows and no feathers or down in my room. Upon arrival, there were feather pillows and a down comforter in my room. At 6 PM I asked Ms. ** at the front desk to change that out. When I returned at 11 PM there were two foam pillows and a blanket in my room but the feather pillows and down comforter were still there. I request that they be removed and to have two more foam pillows sent up. Kiesha, the night audit, said that she could not help me. I said I truly needed help and expected it since I called ahead and spoke to Ms. **.

I called corporate customer service and explained what happened. They apologized and gave me 5,000 points toward another stay. They also spoke with Kiesha. I truly and sincerely believe that Kiesha was angry that I called corporate. She came up to our room with a miniature foam pillow. When my husband and I said we were upset, she called security and had us removed from the hotel. I am now waiting for a removal of the preauthorization they placed on my debit card account. (See image attached) This was heartbreaking because we were there for a wake and funeral of a close friend. We missed the funeral.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed June 3, 2016

I've stayed at this hotel several times and acquired membership points. I was going to use the points to make a new reservation but forgot my password so I called. I then learned that the policy had changed and my points and account were cancelled for inactivity. Based on this new policy, it states that notification must be sent to clients 90 days prior but I have NEVER received anything from Hyatt. The representative could not send me a copy of this so-called notification and there seem to be some confusion with the date that this so-called notification was sent.

I feel this so unfair and I believe that my points were taken away with no notice of a policy change. I have recommended this hotel to employees who are looking for long-term accommodations. In fact my employer paid for me to stay during Storm Sandy because of the long term stay, but there are plenty of hotels in the area that offer the same but are more loyal to its guests. This was disappointing.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPriceStaff

Reviewed May 31, 2016

Can I do zero stars? This establishment was dirty, smelly, and unsafe. The photos on the website indicate it is new and updated. It is not. It is overpriced and the service was terrible. I now receive unwanted email ads at least once a week, despite having unsubscribed (and receiving 3 confirmatory emails from them). I would never stay here again. The parking lot was poorly lit, we had to buy Febreze because the room smelled so awful and the employees are completely incompetent. Do not waste your money.

Reviewed April 13, 2016

I would just like to start by saying my stay at the hotel was not bad at all. However, when I checked out a final unexpected bill followed me. I was advised of a $15 incident fee that is charged at check in so that wasn't an issue. The issue came when I noticed a separated charge in the amount of $200! With me being unaware what this charge was for I contacted the hotel immediately and got who I was told the "manager". When I asked the manager about the charge she couldn't tell me what the fee was for but simply told me that the General Manager will call me back after it has been investigated. Well, $200 is not just $5 that I can just slip through the cracks so I needed an explanation. When I advised the "manager" that "No I need an explanation" she hung up on me (right in my face).

I then located a customer service/complaints phone number who did nothing but call the hotel that I was just hung up on by. Fast forward 5 hours later I finally get an "email" not "phone call" from the General manager stating that the charge is for having multiple people in the room, gum in the carpet, and a broken latch door. Well first of all the latch was broken prior to us checking in and we were told that the hotel was booked to full capacity per a Golf tournament. Secondly the gum I will take since I did have a sleepover for my 8 year old daughter, but the additional charge for a broken latch that they know have been like that I will not be held accountable for. This hotel has placed a bad taste in my mouth for their entire chain. I will not be staying here again. To top it off I still have not received a phone call from this General Manager!

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2015

On the weekend of Oct 9, 2015 my wife and I took our grand-kids, their mother and a friend to the DFW area to see the State Fair and visit friends. We stayed at Hyatt Place on State Highway 360 in Grand Prairie, TX. I had stayed there before with no complaints before so I called the hotel directly to book rooms. I was transferred to a call center where I explained that I needed space for 8, either a large suite or two connecting rooms. The rates I was quoted over the phone I understood to be for both nights. The quoted rate was a bit high, but there was a lot going on that weekend and I had stayed there a couple of times before without complaint, so I booked anyway.

I received a single confirmation email. Had I read it as close as a lawyer would have read an opposing brief I might have noticed that what I thought was a different rate for each night (not unusual, I once stayed 6 nights in 'Vegas and had 4 different room rates for the same room) was actually two different room rates for two different rooms, and the rates were per night, not for the duration. Nowhere in the confirmation e-mail did the total to be charged appear.

Check-in and the actual stay went as usual, except that the connecting door between the rooms was missing - not so great when traveling with 4 small kids, and the shower in one room was unsafe, almost to the point of unusable. We literally had to straddle the toilet to step in or out of the shower. The step over the toilet was especially dangerous because it is a big step and the bathmat cannot reach both locations. Using a towel helped a little, but lacking the ability to transfer force via tension in the fabric (as would occur when normally using a bathmat), a separate towel can slip quite easily.

Our visit to the fair was interrupted by a visit to the ER when one of the adults in our party stepped into a tree ring (sans tree) at Fair Park and fell over backwards and hurt her arm. The paramedics thought it was broken, but when we got to the ER and the tests were done it was just a bad sprain, but of course we were all up quite late so I called and asked what the latest checkout could be. They were quite accommodating so we slept in a bit the next morning. We checked out the next morning and drove back home, still unaware of the pain yet to come. Monday was a holiday, so we got an extra day to recuperate from a less than great vacation.

Then on Tuesday the charges for the rooms hit. We had been charged about the amount I expected - TWICE. I suspected fraud since just a few months ago Hyatt's cash register systems were hacked, so I called my bank. My bank's fraud prevention people called the hotel which transferred us to reservations. The only thing we managed to get was an admission that there should have been two separate confirmation e-mails. Had the reservations people been clear about the rate I never would have booked the rooms. If the confirmation email had not seeming been designed to confuse I would have canceled the rooms even if that meant canceling the trip.

There were other hotels with availability when I booked, many with lower prices than what I thought I was agreeing to. Also tempting was an entire five bedroom house for rent for less than half the price that Hyatt Place charged me, though it was 20 miles further down I30 (which is near to nothing to a Texan, many of us drive that far to get to a grocery store).

However with 4 tired kids in tow at the end of the day, I figured it would be worth the extra $150 or so to be a little closer and in a place that had been good for us in the past. Had the price been as expected I would have shrugged off the missing connecting door and just made a note to ask for a handicapped accessible room next time as I am sure such a room would not have the same shower problem.