1.09/5

Looking for a travel site?

2506 Hotels.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 15, 2019

I recently booked 6 nights through Hotels.com on a spring break trip. I find their website flow deceiving as they route you past fine print details, their representation of the property deceitful as they bury unfavorable details, and their customer support is unsupportive. I was actually advised to book a redundant stay at a second hotel while a refund was requested, but the refund was denied by the hotel and Hotels.com says they have no recourse. Also, after about 5 emails of pleading my case and asking for escalation, I am not being escalated or accommodated.

Wanting a pool for the family, we selected the El Pueblo Lodge in Taos, off the Hotels.com site. The specific reason for this selection was Hotels.com advertising at the top of the site that a "Major Amenity" was an Outdoor Pool. This major amenity was advertised as I scrolled down two pages. 3 Pages down when you select a room/bed of interest you are diverted away from the original page. As a result you never see that on the bottom of the first page (scroll 7 pages down) was a fine print detail that the pool was seasonal. When we arrived at the hotel the pool was empty and not open.

On the phone with Hotels.com the service rep offered to book us a second room and request a refund for the initial hotel. The next day, at the redundantly booked hotel I was informed by email that the request was denied by the hotel. Hotels.com has a policy of only refunding you if the hotel agrees. So they do not intervene on your behalf in a situation where a property was deceitfully represented. If they can advertise a major amenity as "outdoor pool" then they can certainly add one word to that description "seasonal outdoor pool", which would have made all the different. Instead they bury the detail 7 pages down in a fine print section, and you never even reach this point if you select a room of interest up higher. I recommend not using Hotels.com

Original review: April 14, 2019

Unbelievable. I booked a hotel and when I got the confirmation by email, in big print was the fact that the room chosen is only for Egyptian nationals. Well I'm a USA national. So I called Hotels.com and to their credit, they answered the phone. They told me that on their site, if I had looked carefully, as in real real carefully, at the bottom of the page in the "At a Glance" section if I had clicked "see more", I would have seen that the room is only for Egyptians with proof of nationality at check in. Ok, so please cancel the reservation I requested. Hotels.com obligingly contacted the hotel which "refused to refund payment". In any event, if you choose to use this site, read every little word and click every little box to see every little text or risk losing your money.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I booked a hotel reservation for the Astoria Crowne Plaza in New Orleans. When I reviewed the cancellation policy it said I had up to May 14th to cancel and even though I chose to pay at the hotel if requested my car and pulled a fee of $144.00 I should have questioned it then but I did not. It turns out I need to cancel the reservation more than 30 days before my stay and I was told the cancellation is “cancelling up to May 14 before 11 pm will be a penalty fee of &124.00." I explained to two different representatives that is not what the policy said.. No help.. Excuses and I have lost $124.00. I will not use this website again..

Original review: April 11, 2019

I booked a room in another state using this company. They immediately charged my card in full. I received an email confirmation and receipt from them. Five minutes later I receive an email and confirmation directly from the hotel. It is a much lower price. I tried through their customer service to get a refund in the difference, but just received excuses and runaround. So much for low price guarantee. My opinion just a very shortsighted business practice to gouge a short term profiteering over having a long term customer. I will NEVER USE this company again. There are other and more honest booking companies to use. Avoid at your own peril. Trust these reviews. Don't ignore and be a fool like I was.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I made a hotel reservation for 1 night to my husband who had a delayed flight from Florida to Arizona and needed to stay from 3am to 8am. The representative was nice and I was relieved knowing the booking was done and they even offer an airport shuttle to the hotel but when my husband got to the hotel by Uber (they didn’t pick him up) the hotel was BOOKED and he didn’t have a place to stay at 3am. My husband found himself another hotel he could stay. I will never recommend hotels.com.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: April 9, 2019

I was a loyal customer for years and I had been saving up points for a vacation. When I was ready to book, I noticed I couldn't get into my account. I then called and they told me that there was a change of e-mail address associated with my account, which I never did of course. I thought, no big deal they'll make it right. So I'm told that I need to create a new account and that they will merge them within 72 hours to get my points back. I create the new account and call them 3 days after only to find out that there is nothing they can do about it. I lost all my points, status, everything! I had PLENTY of e-mail showing that the old account belonged to be but they refused the proof. My advice: STAY away from these crooks! Take your business somewhere else!

Original review: April 9, 2019

They pride themselves in advertising Hassle-Free Travel Guarantee if you are a silver status member. Although they don’t honor what they preach. I made a business reservation through one of their agents with specific instructions that I would not be checking in until 9 am the next day. I verified with the agent multiple times that I had the correct reservation for the times that I needed. When I went to check in to the hotel, they gave my room away because I did not check in by midnight, even though it was noted of the late check in and it was prepaid.

Not only did they have no more rooms, but they also did not have any for the next night as well, so I would have to be checked out by 2 pm max. So not only would I have to pay for a whole night for 4 hours, plus wait over an hour in the lobby, but I also would have to pay late fees for a late checkout. I called Hotels.com and all they could say was their agent who made the booking booked it wrong and there was nothing they could do. So much for a guarantee!!!

Original review: April 8, 2019

I am going to presume that if you do not have an issue with your reservation then using Hotels.com is adequate. But beware to never ever ever even think about taking a chance that there will be no reservation hitch if you are counting on Hotels.com (Expedia) if you are for instance at the Final Four in Minneapolis and there is absolutely zero rooms left within a 50 mile radius. Absolute disaster. It began when Hotel.com double booked my room, that was a non-refundable charge paid fully in advance for 3 nights. Generally, when you pay in advance it is a reasonable assumption that you have a pretty solid guarantee that your room is locked up tight. Never assume!!! I arrived to find my room was taken.

I was still cool thinking they would honor their guarantee and we could go eat lunch while they found me another room. I had 5 hours before game start and plenty of time to find my wife and 2 sons a couple of rooms or an equivalent suite. In the meantime, we could simple haul our luggage around while I held my phone to my ear as I was put on hold on and off for an hour plus with their offshore heavily accented call center worker. I do not begrudge having India as a starting point and they are always nice and really trying to do a good job.

I begrudge an organization that does not have a trigger where one could escalate a problem away from their, probably ridiculously underpaid call center Phd, to a real problem solver. Especially when you are wandering around with your family wondering if you may have to find a cardboard box to sleep in. It seemed they were more concerned that I had a room with wifi and other such non-sense amenities rather than just jumping on the task for finding anything at all. I am completely serious about the wifi, that was a 20-minute conversation of me saying I do not care. I was afraid that if I said no then he would look for a hotel that did not have it, which I think may have been an impossible task. However, “I do not care” was not on the decision tree.

My conversation with him was like being stuck in some twilight zone loop designed to make you think you are insane! I finally snapped and just said get me a damn room that is not in the next state or let me talk to someone who can. Well I think he handed me to the dude that sits next to him who had a bit more experience and knew that asking if I wanted a pool was more important than wifi or free breakfast. However, he too just never got that I did not give a rat's ** and only wanted 3 beds in reasonable proximity of downtown and I did not care what it cost! I guess money does not always solve a problem because I got nowhere and the promise of a call back never materialized.

In the meantime, the Sonder management (they were fantastic), who manages the facility that Hotel.com double booked, was having the same frustrations as they tried to solve the problem. I was told of 3 separate 20-minute conversations with different people all saying they were going to call me to get me a room. No one ever called me. I said just get a room and email me if you are not going to call back. Bottom line, they never got me a room, but I personally did locate a Motel 6 off I64 about 45 miles away north of Coon Rapids, MN. So much for enjoying all the events of the Final Four. Never ever use them. Oh, the did give me a full refund of $2800 for the room I never got. Very nice of them.

Original review: April 8, 2019

This stay made a record of being my worst experience with a booking website as well as a hotel. The hotel was booked 3 months prior to our stay but shortly owner started texting me that he could not provide us the room at such rate. I started communicating with the site and every time they confirmed me there is no issue. Upon my resistance, they contacted the owner and told me the amount of booking has changed and Hotels.com accepted to pay the difference. However, I received same messages from the hotel (if you can call it one). Again I was assured that there was no issue via Hotels.com.

On the day of arrival, the impolite, rude persons in the hotel refused to give us the room and asked for additional money. We were fighting with them for 2 hours, It cost me 100 USD to call website on roaming phone and after 2 hours we were provided with the dirtiest room ever. The toilets were disgusting. The sink of the kitchen was awful and the apartment itself was located in a separate building, not the one we were promised. We booked it for 9 but pillows and blankets were enough for 6 people only and they ignored our request to provide more. It was a one night stay so we put up with it but I reserved the hotel through Hotels.com and that is why I was confident about it.

This experience proved that it cannot be trusted. In spite of my several attempts to prove that something was wrong every time they mentioned that everything was ok without bothering themselves to check it further. Their customer service is slow and ineffective. Each time you have to explain what has been wrong and at the end you are provided with a reference number which is useless. I posted a review about my stay and they have not yet posted it after 96 hours and telling me that it takes 2 weeks for them to review it. While on Booking.com your review is published instantly. I will never use it for booking a hotel.

Original review: April 7, 2019

While booking three rooms for a one-night stay in Iceland, I accidentally booked the wrong date. I immediately called Hotels.com to cancel. They told me they would cancel the booking, but I would be charged the full amount for the room. The refused to not put the charge through on my card. I will NEVER deal with Hotels.com again.

Hotels.com Company Information