2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Hotels.com Reviews

Original review: June 23, 2020

Booked a room for a concert in New Hampshire but the concert was cancelled due to the virus. I did call the hotel and they were going to cancel until they saw I booked through Hotels.com so I called them. Gerald **, the hotels.com rep said he would contact the hotel to cancel. He came back and said they wouldn't so I asked why were they going to cancel until they saw I booked through them? Out over $400 with no recourse. We have used them for many years to book vacations but I'll never use hotels.com again.

I understand non refundable but with these times this should be rescinded to allow for a cancel if unable to travel out of fear of catching this virus, bringing it back to my state, spreading it to others or possible death. We are in our late 60's with cancer, diabetes and heart disease but still they refused to cancel. Any other time I would forfeit because I do understand non-refundable but because of the virus and many people can't travel, I thought this would be a consideration!

Original review: June 22, 2020

Residence Inn by Marriott Bartram Park overcharged my card 3 times. Customer Service for Hotels did a great job taking care of this for me. Hotels price was $20 cheaper and hotels.com wouldn't match it.

Original review: June 21, 2020

Their customer service dept. has not helped me get vouchers from hotel nights I had to cancel because of the Coronavirus in Italy. I did get one voucher because I contacted a hotel in Venice MYSELF! The other hotel in Rome did not answer me and I have tried to contact them but Hotels.com was not able to do so and has been telling me they would do that but to no avail and I have called them many times now. I WILL NOT be using their booking service ever again.

Original review: June 17, 2020

I booked a flight and hotel reservation on 3/12. I called on 6/13 to ask about rescheduling or cancelling due to the riots and COVID 19 issues, but stated not to cancel unless I was getting a refund. The agent cancelled the reservation, despite me asking three times not to do it. The company cost me over $1100. I called customer service four times. Each time I was told a supervisor would call me within 24 hours. The last time I refused to hang up until I talked with a supervisor. Despite my prior request to start a phone investigation, they did not. The last time I called they told me they found the call but couldn't hear it and they were escalating it to a "Level 3" complaint. Every person I spoke with asked me the same questions, gave me the same answers to my questions, and told me the same "Someone will call you within 24 hours" response. This company is at fault for cancelling the reservation and takes no responsibility.

Original review: June 17, 2020

We booked a family vacation at a hotel in Spain. The hotel shut down because of Covid.... two months later and still no refund!! They initially emailed me that I would receive a full refund... then I received an email a week later that I would get a voucher instead. Awful customer service!!! I’ve been on the phone all afternoon, and I was hung up on twice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: June 16, 2020

I booked a weekend in Sedona for my sister and I. The room we booked only accommodated two people. I called the hotel directly and they rebooked us in a suite instead. I called to cancel with Hotels.com. They made me email owner to get cancellation in writing which he was happy to do so. After 3 days of dealing with Hotel.com customer service in which I can barely understand, I'm assuming they are using an out of the country call center, they refused to cancel, not only holding up the 2 rooms that were not being cancelled but the owner of the hotel had to call in himself to request a cancellation. Then I was told it takes 4 weeks due to Covid-19 to get my full refund. I dont know any banking institution that takes 4 weeks to refund a credit card charge. Disgusting company trying to rip people off being a 3rd party booker and trying to pay their bills and keeping peoples monies to buy them time to pay their bills. Just refund people's money back!

Original review: June 14, 2020

I booked a hotel via Hotels.com and travel was not possible as the hotel is still closed due to Corona crisis. Hotels.com refuses to refund my money and instead only offers to accept shifting travel dates into next year - here it comes: I agreed in writing directly with the hotel, that I can get the same rooms for the same price a year later. Hotels.com is now refusing to update the voucher and they argue that the hotel would be much more expensive and want an excessive amount of additional money from my end - even after me already being in agreement with the hotel, that the price remains.

This is trying to abuse the Corona crisis to get extra money out of the situation for broker Hotels.com, which is frankly very unethical and simply not acceptable. In addition, so far they refuse to directly talk to me and let me always call their hotline again, where I wait for hours to then talk to a hotline person without the competence to sort out the situation with me directly.

Original review: June 12, 2020

Booked a vacation rental on 6/5 for June 21-25 and on the same day I received an email from the resort. I follow the link to find out that FL had updated their Covid-19 restrictions and they would not be accepting reservations from our state. Well Hotels.com already had our money. I called to cancel and 3 days latter the resort said they had not received my cancellation from Hotels.com. On the 3rd day I called Hotels.com and they now say I have to wait another 24-72 to hear back. They blamed the resort. The resort said that Hotels.com should call them expedite but Hotels.com said the resort told them to send an email. Hotels.com will not provide me with a confirmation that the cancelation was requested. Will never use Hotels.com. Now I have to wait 30 day for a refund to no fault of my own.

Original review: June 12, 2020

I was supposed to give my debit card to hold a hotel in Galveston. My bank notified me immediately that there was a large withdrawal, so I opened my bank app to see they had taken over $1200.00 out of my bank account. I immediately canceled the hotel reservation hold (within 2 minutes). I called, emailed, spoke to their online people. And all they can say is "I’m sorry ma’am." We are in a pandemic and it’s taking 30 days to refund your money. That’s not the issue— they need our money so they are holding it as long as they can in order to use it for what they need it for. I’m so angry! I will never use this company again. I’ve used them multiple times and this has never happened. They are desperate to keep/hold your money. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: June 12, 2020

Booked a family holiday to Spain with Hotels.com, 5 rooms 10 people, at a cost of £3000. Hotel cancelled due to Covid 19, and we were happy to accept their offer of a coupon for the hotel as we are happy to rebook the same holiday for next year. Unfortunately what we were not told, was that the coupon can only be used to book one room not multiple rooms. Therefore we are left with a coupon that can only be used once, and only to book one room. How can a coupon be issued for a 5 room booking and not be able to be used to rebook like for like. I am expected to use the whole amount of £3000 in one booking and with only one room, which would mean my partner and I would need to book a 5/6 week holiday and the other 8 members of my family would not be able to take a holiday, even though they have paid for their rooms, how can that be right.

I have sent several emails to Hotels.com and the customer service department just keep saying that they cannot do anything about this. I have spent thousands of pounds over the years with Hotels.com and my loyalty seems to count for nothing. In these times of covid 19 why are they being so unhelpful and so narrow minded about this problem.

Hotels.com Company Information