3.31/5
Based on 1,690 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Hotels.com

Looking for a travel site?

2702 Hotels.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

On July 15th, I was looking for a hotel room for an overnight stay. My husband and I were traveling at the end of the month from Missouri to Wisconsin, to attend a 40th Anniversary surprise party for some dear friends whom we had not seen in several years. I went to Hotels.com because I was having trouble finding any hotel availability for the dates I selected. I reserved a room for an overnight stay. There was a box at the end of the page to add any comments. I mention that I am a big girl and need to be sure that the bathroom is accessible for me. When completed, my credit card was charged $182.70 by Hotels.com.

A few days later, I received a call from a gal at the hotel I had reserved at, she mentioned that she had seen my comment and was going to move us to a different room that had a larger bathroom. There was no mention of price on this call. The day after our overnight stay, when I went to check out, I was given a receipt which was for $152.92, nearly $30 less than what I was charged on Hotels.com. Yay!

So today when I looked at my credit card statement, there was no adjustment made to the charge, just the $182.70 for Hotels.com. So I called Hotels.com to inquire. I spoke with a representative who listened to my issue and then proceeded to put me on hold for 25 minutes. She then came back, very apologetic, and stated that she could offer me a voucher for the $29, and I would have 1 year to use it. I explained my family situation and that we are unable to travel regularly, so we would not be able to use a voucher. She said we could transfer it to family or friends (not sure how that helps me...).

Again, apologetically, she stated that this was the only thing she could do and if I chose to not accept the voucher that was fine. She also mentioned that it had been so long, and why was I just now calling? Um, our stay was July 27th-July 28th, this is August 13, by my calculation that is just over 2 weeks, and I was waiting for the charge to show up on my credit card statement. At this point I was getting quite aggravated, I said perhaps her supervisor had someone higher up that she could talk to? The representative then asked me if I wanted to talk to management, so I said, "yes!"

She transferred me to her supervisor and when I explained the situation and the voucher offer that the representative had mentioned to me, the supervisor said that the representative was NOT authorized to offer that voucher and she would be coached. I'm not quite sure how coaching her is going to solve my issue?? The supervisor said that they have agreements with the hotels for blocks of rooms, so they will not be issuing a refund to me. I said to her perhaps they could issue a refund to my credit card and then recoup the refund amount from the hotel, since the hotel under charged me per the receipt I was given.

She said that would not be happening, and apologized. I did mention that I would be putting this in a review and sharing it with my Facebook friends. I might be out of line here, but if Hotels.com charged me $182.70 and the hotel charged me $152.92, that tells me that I should get back $29.78. So why is that not happening? I'll tell you what else is happening, my family never using Hotels.com again!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

The call centre is located in the Philippines and communication skills were very poor. I had to repeat myself a zillion time. In the end, he hung up on me without any apology or anything. Call centres should be brought back to the US or Canada.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

What a joke. I am canceling my membership. I was treated rudely by 3 different employees. When I asked to speak to a manager I was told there were none available! No attempt to resolve issue. Their software was down when I tried to make a reservation and they would not make the reservation for me. I could not use my free night. I called back today and they still would not give me credit even though they wouldn’t make the reservation for me. They told me to go get something to eat while I wait for their system to reboot. It was 9pm and we were exhausted.

So I went in and booked a room and went to our room and fell into bed. I have tried to resolve this over an hour of phone calls and being cut off. They said no manager was available over and over. I asked to speak to someone in the US because I could not get a knowing person to at least speak to me. I have resolved other issues before with Hotels.com but not this time. They did not even try. Poor! I will not be subjected to this type of service anymore.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I am writing because I placed two reservations with them. The first was for the last week in August, which I cancelled b/c our entire trip had to be moved up. The second was the third week in August. I cancelled b/c as you book it - the price says $304, but at the end it was $454, that is a big jump for me, I understand taxes and fees, etc. But that was too much, so I cancelled both. I got the emails. I moved on.

The morning AFTER the cancellation period expired, I get an email reminding me of my reservation, so I chat online. I looked on the website and it says no reservations, but to be sure, I went on live chat. She told me I still had the reservation but somehow it was under a guest account, which made no sense since I had the email to the same email as the first and my computer automatically logs in. She said she would call the hotel, who refused the refund, but allowed the cancellation. LMAO. Allowed the cancellation? At $454.50, I am not paying to NOT go to the hotel. I am beyond frustrated with a guy who calls himself a manager, cut could not even complete a sentence in English, Nikko **.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Keep in mind I am a 'Gold' customer with Hotels.com so this is particularly upsetting. I booked a non-refundable reservation on Hotels.com for the Warwick hotel in San Francisco for a 2-day stay in August 2019 for a pre-paid cost of approximately $650. My trip was cancelled and I called Hotels.com the day before my check in date to see if they would please (1) refund my reservation cost (2) refund me, less a cancellation penalty or (3) change my reservation dates and allow me to use my two nights at a future date. Hotels.com told me that they could do none of the above options because I agreed to the non-refundable clause. While this is true, I did, I don't understand why Hotels.com should be able to keep $650 and provide no service, no refund, and essentially no options for a customer.

I called the Warwick hotel in San Francisco to inquire if they would please help me to cancel the reservation or allow me use the two pre-paid nights for a stay in the future. They said that they could not help me because they could not view the cancellation terms of the reservation I made with Hotels.com. I called Hotels.com back and they said that they called the Warwick hotel in San Francisco and that it was the Warwick hotel that refused to allow me to cancel or change my reservation. Someone is lying to me and it's a real shame that greed and profit has taken the place of customer service and I am forced to lose $650 for a hotel room reservation I will never use. Technically, Hotels.com has the right to refuse this refund or change, but it is not right that they should keep my $650 for a hotel room reservation I will never use and which the hotel or Hotels.com may rent out and collect double the fee.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I am extremely disappointed in hotels.com and just canceled the next trip I have in September that I booked with them, instead booking it directly through the hotel and Marriott. I seriously believe that hotels hate hotels.com. This is not the first time that hotels have acted ‘snippy’ with me for using hotels.com, but this time it was the worst I have ever encountered.

I reserved one night in Palos Verdes California and the room said one king bed and one sofa bed with balcony. My friend got there late as she was checking in. When they got to the room, all there was was a king bed. It was her and her two teenagers. When she called down, the courtyard by Marriott in Torrance Palos Verdes front desk told her that this is first come first served and there are no sofa beds left. My friend got there late and was never told to do mobile check-in. When they got to the room, all there was was a king bed. When she called down, the courtyard by Marriott in Torrance Palos Verdes front desk told her that this is first come first served and no sofa beds were left.

I proceeded to call hotels.com and the operator was overseas. The operator got on the phone with the hotel and then got back on the phone with us to tell us that the operator at the hotel (Chantal) was rude and that all they could do is have their relocation department help us. It was 11:30 PM at night!!! Obviously, their own operators can’t talk to people knowing that these resolutions may not be easy but hotels.com was of no help!

When they offered me a location for the next day, the hotels offered were cheap and uncomfortable as I have stayed there before. I had to literally deal with the situation myself and there was no resolution, except that the courtyard hotel we were at told us that hotels.com lies to its customers, promising something that is not guaranteed. I was told the same thing by the Paris Hotel in Las Vegas four years ago and I am now questioning if this is true. What I do know is that hotels.com did not handle my complaint and didn’t seem to even care. I will never use them again and would never recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I had a terrible impression from staying at this motel and very bad sediment: 1. To make a check-in, we had to wait a long time for the worker to the front desk. 2. When we entered the room we were stricken by torn and dirty linens, mold in the shower room, and instead of towels for four people, provided only two. On the steps of the stairs, it seems that the sand has not been swept away from the winter period, the tiles are crumbled, dirt and cobwebs on the railing. (I can provide some pictures of dirty bedding.)

3. The person who introduced himself as a manager did not delve into my problem. My daughter forgot the phone while charging in the room, after which no one reacted to our calls and messages to the phone. We managed to interrupt our vacation and return to the motel after four hours, no one gave us the phone, although the room was cleaned but not occupied. The attendants consisted of three people: a manager, a cleaning lady, and a man who took out trash from the room. Those three people refused to return the phone to my daughter. In addition to these three people, no one could take the phone from charging. We are very sorry that dishonest people occupy the position of manager and staff in American motels.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

After speaking with a supervisor, I was not given an extension regarding a coupon code I forgot and only wanted to utilize it for my next trip within 2 days and was given the cold shoulder. Consumer reviews are vital to the company's willingness to provide excellent service whenever needed. I've never had a bad experience until now which would have lead to obtaining more stars toward hotel.com services rendered. How do I continue using hotels.com and/or referring service to others if partial accommodations can't be met?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Very POOR! The HOWARD JOHNSON BY WYNDHAM has a HEALTH & SAFETY concerns. I booked my reservations through HOTELS.COM based on the reviews listed. However, 5 min after checking in and entered the room when the restroom was used the toilet overflowed. The maintenance employee came to the room to fix the plumbing, he made me aware that there is a BUG INFESTED ISSUE, as he was in the room next door cleaning the the BED BUGS. I had no other choice but to check out early and rebook reservations at another nearby hotel due to my HEALTH & SAFETY concern with the conditions of the rooms and the property. Upon, my early checkout the front desk agent requested that I return the room key, and that she isn't authorized to issue any refunds and that I need to come in the next morning to speak with SEEWA ** between 9am-4pm and talk with the manager regarding my refund.

The following morning I returned to the property and spoke with the manager whom assured me I may get my full refund, and I that would need to contact HOTELS.COM as their whom I booked and pre-paid my reservations through. I called HOTELS.COM to request my refund. I was told they would need to contact the HOWARD JOHNSON BY WYNDHAM in Tacoma, WA to verify if my refund was authorized by the property manager, when HOTELS.COM called, the front desk agent said no refund was approved by the manager and that I spent the night which is FALSE. Again, I called the property to speak with the manager regarding my HEALTH & SAFETY concern, and the problem I'm experiencing regarding my refund, once again the manager at the hotel assured me my refund was approved by her and she also sees in their system noted I did check out early and my full refund was authorized.

The manager also reiterated that I need to call HOTELS.COM. Again, HOTELS.COM called the hotel whom once again says my refund was not approved by the FEMALE MANAGER I just spoke with prior to contacting HOTELS.COM. Basically, the HOWARD JOHNSON BY WYNDHAM in Tacoma, WA is denying my refund.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I booked a one night stay at a hotel in Florida (Sunset Inn) through Hotels.com and received a confirmation verifying a one night stay. Checked into the hotel on July 20th with no problem and they verified my booking. Stayed one night and left the hotel at 6AM on July 21st so clearly one night. When I returned home my credit card had been charged for the day of arrival AND the day of departure. Called hotels.com and first advisor took all of the information and tried to call the hotel but he said there was no answer but would get back to me.

When that did not happen I called the hotel directly later that day and they said their system only showed a charged for the one night on July 21st. Called Hotels.com back and they said their system likewise only showed one charge so they asked for a copy of my statement which I sent to them. Others have reported the same procedure with no results. Cannot figure out who is telling the truth so disputed the charge on my credit card and let them straighten it out.

Hotels.com Company Information