2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Hotels.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

The important reviews are the response when things go wrong. Website failed to register voucher, confirmation email included no cost details. Overcharged by £80. Nothing but 'tough' from CS. Appalling.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I spent nearly an hour CHATTING with two representatives and neither, including one supposed supervisor, could tell me nor offer a solution for their having taxes 10% higher than the actual hotel. Is this NOT against the law?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I used Hotels.com to book 2 rooms in Miami. My friends booked their rooms directly with the hotel. We had to cancel the trip due to bad weather...a tropical storm. The hotel has refused to refund my money for the 2 rooms, while giving refunds to my friends who booked directly. So be aware...Your money is NOT safe. Hotels will refuse refunds if you book through Hotels.com

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Do not use this company to book any trips. They are very unprofessional. A pandemic is going on and and they refused to assist in getting a reservation refunded from a trip we booked through them. Travel bans are in place and they still will not refund or offer a deferral to next year. Several emails and hours spent on the phone with many hang-ups on their part. Asked to speak to a supervisor and they would not put one on. So for your own protection never book anything through this company. I will never be using them again. You can get a better or the same price on other sites. You will thank yourself if something as crazy as this happens by going with another company.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I purchased 2 nights at a hotel back in November or something like that in 2019. As Covid hit, I had to cancel my hotel stay. This was back in May of 2020. Hotels.com said that they would reimburse me for the money as well as the free nights I used. It is now 5 months later and 30 emails and the only response I get is that they have escalated me to the special department and they appreciate my patience. This isn't rocket science. I believe they are doing this to other people out there and playing the odds. Most people will give up so they get to keep that money. I am not giving as this has turned into a daily email back and forth (a second job). Once I receive my voucher, if that ever happens... I will use it and then close my account with Hotels.com and start using someone like Expedia.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

A friend and I were to visit Eastern Europe in June, 2020. We began booking accommodations through Hotels.com in January. When the pandemic hit, our flight to Europe was canceled. The countries I intended to visit closed their borders. My airline refunded my non-refundable ticket. I tried to contact Hotels.com without success. I realize I booked non-refundable rooms. However, other vendors practiced good customer service and gave me back my money but not Hotels.com. Not even by writing to the president of the company did I receive the courtesy of a return call/ email. I will never use them again because I feel cheated. Please note they are owned by Expedia Group, which owns 18 travel companies: VRBO, Hot Wire, Wotif, Orbitz, and Travelocity among others. They could have afforded to do the right thing but did not. Beware, not only of Hotels.com but all Expedia companies.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

My wife and I booked a hotel with Hotels.com for a short stay in Edinburgh in February this year, not expecting at all the coronavirus lockdown to hit! A month or so before the booking we wanted to see if it would go ahead. Due to issues with the Hotels.com website, I had to ring up their customer services line to verify that all was well. I was told everything would be fine, and the week before the visit I received a reminder email giving me 'all the information you need for your upcoming stay'.

Having flown to Edinburgh in September I was appalled to be told when I turned up at the hotel with my wife, who was 23 weeks pregnant, that the hotel we booked had been closed for some time, and was now operating as a homeless shelter. I rang up the Hotels.com customer support line and explained the situation, expecting a groveling apology and the reassurance that they would sort something out for us. Instead, I was transferred to another team 'to see if there is something they can do' or something like that.

In the agent’s defence, they did acknowledge the issue and say they would find us somewhere else to stay. We were then offered a place at an inferior hotel (costing less than the one we had already paid for) and told that was our only option. After pressing the agent I managed to negotiate that we would have a refund instead.

The deal that I was offered was as follows:
1) A full refund of our original booking price.
2) In addition, a refund of the Tesco.com Clubcard voucher that was part of the original booking.

3) As a goodwill gesture, an additional payment of £75.00 for our inconvenience.

I agreed to this offer feeling that it was fair for the inconvenience that we experienced, only to discover once the refund had been processed that the plan was to give us £75.00 as a Hotels.com voucher, rather than in cash. Until that point I had the distinct impression that this would be a cash payment, something that the agent did not tell us until we had agreed to the payment. I was incredibly unhappy at what seemed to be double-dealing, and after arguing the point and asking to hear the call recording back, I said this was unacceptable. I asked to speak to the agent's manager, but after waiting for some time, was told they were unavailable. I was told they would call me back that evening, and left the call.

At this point we booked a hotel through another company since we were so disillusioned with the service. I never received a call back from the manager that evening, but an email instead at 10:42 pm stating that they were about to call me, but 'when I check the time it is already late at night' (sic) and promising a call back the following day. I am still waiting for this call back.

Since then I have received the full refund and the Hotels.com voucher of £75.00, which I do not want. I have not yet received a refund of the Tesco.com Clubcard voucher that I was promised. After the trip I contacted Hotels.com customer service again and was offered a callback in around an hour an a half. After 3 and a half hours an agent rang me and listened to my complaint again. I was then asked to wait another hour and 5 minutes to speak to a manager, who said they could not honour what the agent had originally said since it was not in line with their policies. We have not been properly compensated for our inconvenience or that they really appreciate what we went through, and as a result will not be using Hotels.com again.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I booked a reservation thru Hotels.com in February and received confirmation of my booking, with the following cancellation policy: Free cancellation until 09/16/20. If you change or cancel your booking after 18:00, 09/16/20 property’s local time (GMT-06:00) you will be charged a 50% fee. We will not be able to refund any payment for no-shows or early check-out.

Since we're in the middle of a pandemic, and my husband was laid off, we needed to last minute cancel our booking. Hotels.com denied the 50% cancellation policy and charged me a full 100% of the booking charge. When I called to dispute it, they told me they would forward the email to the hotel and refund me my 50% if the email confirmation was approved. I received word shortly thereafter, that I was being denied approval for 50% refund, and was told to contact the hotel directly to make the dispute with them instead.

I called Hotels.com back since I was unclear why it would be my responsibility to resolve the dispute when Hotels.com was the service I used to make the booking, and the ones who sent me the cancellation policy in my confirmation email. When I asked to escalate the situation to a manager, they told me there was no manager. I asked for name and contact of a manager I can speak with at a later time, and they told me there was no manager, and that I could call customer service back at another time. This service is garbage, and doesn't honor the policy they have in writing, in the middle of a pandemic no less. Customer support isn't "happy to help" or "happy to resolve disputes" and they make promises they cannot keep. Thanks to Hotels.com false cancellation policy, I'm out over $1000. This is totally unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I booked an apartment for a weekend in Nashville back in February before the covid issue. During booking I was careful to choose an option which included free cancelation. Unfortunately I used a discount coupon that hotels.com emailed me. At final check out I applied the coupon and paid for my reservation. A few months later I tried to cancel and was told my reservation was none refundable. I looked at my confirmation email and sure enough buried on the 3rd page was the refund policy. Because I used a discount coupon my reservation automatically changed to nonrefundable. I'm out over $450.

Hotels.com claimed they were doing everything possible to help customers who booked nonrefundable rooms prior to the pandemic. I waited on hold with customer service for over an hour multiple days trying to get some credit towards a future booking. I was told on all occasions that nothing could be done. They did not even refund their own booking fees. Terrible company. They use bait and switched techniques to make you think you're getting a bargain. In the end I could have booked directly with the property and they would have matched the hotels.com price and allowed free cancelation.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I receive two coupons. One for $80. The other for $100. When I went to use them they told me that they were no longer valid. I explained I did not want to book a hotel during Covid. I tried contacting their parent company Expedia but could not get to talk to anyone. Can someone help.

Hotels.com Company Information