3.3/5 (1921 ratings)

About Hotels.com

Hotels.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I made a reservation for an international trip to Europe before the recent surge in Covid (Omicron). I made sure to book all hotels with a cancellation policy in case I could no longer go on the trip. I made a reservation at Hotels.com on a room that I saw had a cancellation policy. After I made the booking, I saw some devastating news about lockdowns in Europe and reached out to Hotels.com to cancel within hours of booking.

I was told the room did not have a cancellation policy and was given the run-around by the customer service representative I corresponded with, and told to wait days for a "priority" service representative to follow back up with me, likely after the hotel already received the booking and started to process it. I recommend you stay far away from this greedy company that will do anything they can to keep your money. I will never use their services again, and I recommend you do the same. This behavior is shameful. Hotels.com, do better.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

After being a customer of nearly 16 years was denied a deserved refund because I canceled a booking 6 hours past their expected deadline due to bad weather. Totally unwilling to bend or help. Never use them again.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

I've been a Hotels.com user for many years. I've always booked my travel through them because of their vacation packages and rewards program. Recently, that all changed and I will never use them again! I booked a hotel in Anaheim for the weekend before Christmas so I could take my family to Disneyland. The booking was made several months in advance. A week or two later, our plans changed and I needed to cancel the reservation. The Hotels.com website was experiencing problems, so I called customer service to cancel the reservation. I thought they took care of it because it no longer showed up on my app.

Fast forward to the weekend before Christmas when I get charged from the hotel for one night plus taxes for the reservation that I cancelled. I reached out to the hotel and they informed me that I needed to take it up with Hotels.com where the booking was made. I called customer service of Hotels.com and explained the situation. They were unable to get a hold of a manager at the hotel to have the charge refunded and told me to call back the next day. I did, and after having to explain the issue again to someone else, they told me the hotel would not refund money for a no show.

I told them this was an error on their part and needed to be corrected. I asked for a manager and was told to call back in 2 hours. I refused and said someone needed to contact me. On top of all that, shortly after the call and still fuming from frustration, I got a text notification that I was being charged almost $60 for long distance international calls. Apparently, customer service calls are routed to New Zealand and are pricey!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

I have been using Hotels.com for years without any issue or having to call in other than once to get proof of confirmation at a hotel checking. But the last few days have been a living nightmare... It begins with me being charged the complete amount for a hotel booking prior to even checking in which was not disclosed and then the booking said that I could change or cancel my reservation up till a day before check in. I had a change of itinerary and needed to update my booking was forced to call in or use their prehistoric excuse of a chat. The representative kept letting the chat go to sleep and wasn't responding with any urgency so I called in and got a representative who kept repeating the same things to me over again when she contacted the hotel because she said she couldn't update it in her system. She said the vendor aka the hotel could not update the reservation because it had been booked.

Still not understanding how that's possible but hotels.com basically told me that they needed to cancel the reservation to make any changes to it but would not credit so I could use the same money to book the new reservation or if any other reservations were available until they canceled. They held $600 and then wanted me to give them an additional $500 for a total of $1,100. Then they told me I would have to wait possibly 5 to 7 business days to get a refund they said they processing 24 hours. It has been 24 hours I contacted my bank and just called in again following the instructions of my bank before I file a dispute. They said And I quote "they refunded it, and they don't work for the bank so on there and they're done. Is there anything else I can help you with"....just wow!!

With it being around Christmas and so much to do this is completely and utterly unacceptable. As a result I decided not to use their app. Went directly to the hotel's website and got the new reservation for half the price hotels.com allegedly said they could get it for and was the best deal. I call this fraud, and misrepresentation. I read the terms and conditions and apparently the people who work there don't even know what's in the terms and conditions they just are all reading from the same prompt on a screen. Just before warned. Happy holidays.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

Wow, the site is totally behind, comparing other booking sites. One example is the pet fee I paid which was more than 90% of room fee itself. Hotels.com fails to show the pet associated fee and customer service said it's my responsibility to 'know' it. If HOTELS.com cannot show all potential fees for all candidate hotels on quote/receipt and I have to search them myself or pay at the hotel with a surprise, why would I use Hotels.com? I wouldn't use this site again. And customer service was not helpful, only wants to close a case w/ $10 future discount coupon.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

I have been using Hotels.com occasionally since 2018, and thought that I was signing up for the rewards program when I first made my account. I don’t stay at a lot of hotels and didn’t expect to have enough for a free stay and didn’t check it until this summer when planning a longer trip. I noticed that I had no rewards stamps and tried to re-enroll to make sure that I would get the stamps, but neither the app on my phone, iPad, or on my desktop responded when I clicked on the enroll button and it still had my information showing that I was logged in. The robo chat was not helpful and I couldn’t find a phone number.

Long story short, I went ahead and booked and didn’t talk to an agent until yesterday. They said I had no stamps because I wasn’t enrolled, but would send my case to an internal team to see if they could add my summer stays. Just received notice that I get no credit for the over 10 previous stays. Does anyone actually get a free night from this company?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

I attempted to make a reservation in Santa Barbara in mid September 2021. I found the hotel I liked - the site said there were several rooms left. I had already entered the check in and check out date. I clicked to make the reservation on the specified date, entered my credit card info and had, what I thought, was a reservation on the date I requested. The date, evidently, was not available after all so the site automatically gave me a different date in the middle of the payment process (10 days earlier than I requested) and two days after I made the reservation.

I did not notice the "bait and switch" feature of this website until 4 days later. I called and attempted to get a refund - both the hotel and Hotels.com refused. Terrible company, bait and switch specialists. Only use them to see available hotels and get information on these hotels - do not give them your hard earned money! This company has no integrity. Use other sites or call the hotels directly. Cost me $237... Never again!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Hotels.com is my absolutely worst experience ever! We booked a holiday cottage via Hotels.com, fully paid and also received a reminder email last Friday double confirming our booking. Today we arrived at the destination and only found out that the property we paid for was leased to someone else. We called all the numbers we could find on the confirmation email received from hotels.com, yet hotels.com was not reachable. We ended up calling the office that managing the cottage and they said they never received our booking and hotels.com was at fault. We tried the numbers of hotels.com few times again without an answer. After 3 hours road trip, with a screaming 5 months old and a meltdown toddler, we were left with the only vacant property that is more expensive yet inferior than the one we have paid.

After finally reaching a hotels.com agent via its online chatting session, hotels.com acknowledged its fault and offered a refund yet refused to cover my extra out-of-pocket expense. I asked to speak to a supervisor in charge and was told someone will give us a call yet nothing. This is so upsetting! I want to share my experience and suggest you do NOT use hotels.com! Update 1: for anyone who is struggling with their standard response of ‘DM/PM your information’, they are NOT talking about Facebook Messenger, nor their linked Instagram accounts, you have to message them via their Twitter account! This company operates in Meta and for those of us that still live in the 3-D world, we just can’t overcome their communication barriers. Update 2: Good news! Finally someone called, AT 1AM?? USE YOUR COMMON SENSE!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

What pictures of hotel are false and misleading. It is dump. Would not recommend any to stay at property. Was noise noise at night,could not get a good night sleep. The property is unsafe to customer lodging.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

I booked a room for my husband. I was reviewing our statement when I noticed a $462.21 charge for the hotel. I called to see what the issue was. They were unable to help me. I have to reach out to my bank to get it fixed. The representative also advised me that because they are a third party billing their fees are higher and the tax on a one night room that cost $77 could be $30. RIDICULOUS. I would recommend booking directly with the hotel. This is for a room we booked in Texas.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

In March 2020 I made a booking using Hotels.com and due to ban on traveling because of COVID my bookings was cancelled. At that time I was promised I could rebook the same hotel before December 31st 2021. Now, that I plan to visit the same city hotels.com is giving me a runaround to use this credit. I have spent several hours on phone, chat and email to help me rebook. All they are saying that the hotel has not issued a voucher to rebook. But I didn't made the reservation with the hotel directly. I used hotels.com to make my reservation. I would not recommend using hotels.com to anyone!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

Confirmation number: **. Thanks to this facility, my trip was a mess. I went to the address on the reservation and called the contact number. They told me they changed the accommodation. When I made the reservation, I had booked this house according to the photos and location. But they changed the house without notice. I paid 85 euros per night. but we stayed in a tiny house that didn't even cost 30 euros for the first night. The next day, we moved to another house very far from the city center. I called Hotels.com customer service, we chatted with live help. Unfortunately, Hotels.com customer service didn't care either. Both the accommodation facility and hotels.com made me suffer.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

This is factual. I used the virtual attendant to cancel my Thanksgiving reservation and they canceled that PLUS my Christmas reservation. Cost me over 400$ extra to replace. They refuse to be responsible.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

After my hotel visit, someone has posted a review in my name on the website. (Not surprisingly an Exceptional 10/10 review!). When contacting Hotels.com they seemed disinterested and could not advise how to delete the review. I can only assume they are deliberately inflating the reviews of the hotels on their website. As this is a crime in the UK this will be reported to the relevant ombudsman.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I booked a room through the website online. It indicated that a credit card was not needed at this time. However, when I went to cancel the reservation about an hour later it said I would have to pay for one night to cancel! I realised that I had booked in error but they would not allow any changes or refund. Stupidly I booked with a gift card that can't be challenged, and I was honest and didn't try to spend it elsewhere before the charge was applied, which I should have.

They claim it's up to the hotel themselves, but the hotel would not refund, even though they lost no revenue by having the room booked for minutes. And it's Hotels.com's policy that gives the hotel the decision. Why would they decide otherwise? As the booker hotels.com should allow changes to online reservations if notified promptly, otherwise practically theft!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I used their customer service chat and was the person was rude, condescending and entirely unhelpful. I then spoke with someone on the phone who told me something entirely different and was still unhelpful. Finally I emailed them and got a short also unhelpful response. In summary I apparently booked a room while not logged in so I did not receive a stamp for my stay ($300 stay) and was told I did receive a stamp by one person and told I did not by another. No one was able to figure out a resolution. I will not be using Hotels.com for future stays. They clearly do not care whatsoever about their guests.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

We recently had a bad stay at a hotel booked through Hotels.com. We had booked for 2 days but after the 1st night, could not sleep in that bed again. We contacted hotels.com and they took all the info, contacted the hotel and got us a refund within 2 days- excellent service- we rebooked another hotel through them for the same night.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

The most terrible customer service you can imagine! We was left without room in the middle of the night. And room was pre-paid! We were not able to reach customer service as you need to go through so many hoops to get to them. 3 days later they claim that we didn't show up at hotel there for they won't refund money. I bet they are total scam! Don't do business with them!!!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

Customer service is horrible and I’m still waiting for a resolution for a trip booked and cancelled due to covid. Hotels.com and Zephyr Hotel has offered a voucher for a trip I booked back in February of 2020 for May of 2020. The Hotel closed and did not reopen for several months due to covid. They are giving me the runaround and have offered me a voucher. They cancelled, not me. They refuse to reimburse me, only extend the time on voucher to the same hotel, no substitute! I had planned this trip only to make a short stay in San Francisco. I do not plan to ever go to San Francisco again, just use this credit somewhere else. Very frustrating since I’m not expecting my money back just the voucher that was guaranteed.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I booked two hotel rooms for early November months ago through Hotels.com. I had to cancel the rooms, it was a free cancellation, I did it 12 days before the booking. I put my card down to reserve the rooms but did not pay in advance. On the day of my reservation, $200 was removed from my account. I contacted Hotels.com immediately, they told me to wait for the refund. I contacted the hotel directly, the manager told me nobody canceled the reservation so I was charged as a no show. I have spoken to over six Hotels.com employees, and they keep telling me to wait. The hotel will tell me nothing. I am considering a lawsuit, since I have all the emails as proof.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I feel they are fraudulent. As a member you are suppose to get 1 stamp for every stay you book with them however they often will not give the stamps especially if you're close to getting a free night. They always say they will get back to you but never do.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

Have used them for years. Had to cancel a room and purchased their ‘insurance’. When I cancelled the room the representative also cancelled the insurance so I could not be refunded for the cancellation. No one in customer service could even begin to address the problem and the insurance representatives couldn’t handle the insurance because it had been cancelled. I just cancelled another four stays with them. There is NO customer service. Direct bookings with hotels are the only way I will go in the future.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Terrible and incompetent service. My reservation for hotel, paid in advance, fell through after hotel announced that they cannot honor my reservation. I contacted Hotels.com (their Expedia Group support). Responding to their automatic emails leads you nowhere. So, after three lengthy phone conversations, each lasting over 30 minutes, they were unable to confirm an alternative accommodation, and asked each time to call me back.. or that I call them back. Since these were international calls (they are located in USA, I am in UK), I have no idea how much I've money I've wasted. In the end, I had to cancel completely, and book myself a new room through another website, paying way more than originally, because the travel date approached. Stay away from this company.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

I am very disappointed with Hotels.com. I had a situation where the hotel I booked for was a complete disaster. The hotel shown at hotels.com had drugs on the floor of the hotel and there were sketchy people wandering around. I ended up not staying there and let the front desk know as my family and I did not feel comfortable staying there. I called hotels.com immediately and let them know of the situation. They said I would be receiving a full refund and I only received partial. They expected me to cancel within 48 hours but how could I do that if I had booked the hotel the same day. I am very disappointed on how hotels.com handled the situation. They did not offer me to change to another hotel. Instead I had to use a different site to book a different hotel that night. I will not be using this site again as they have people working for them who promise customers they will be receiving a full refund and I did not.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

Hotels.com will overcharged you by 30 to 50% compared to what you can book on hotels private website. Do not book through hotels.com. They charged me 159.00 for a room that cost 127.00. Contacted their customer service and they basically told me so what. We just made 32.00 off of me because I’m stupid. Never do business with motels.com

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

Hotels.com's customer service is an absolute joke. Tried to get help resolving an issue and was given nothing but the runaround for over a month. I finally contacted the Better Business Bureau and they finally replied, but their resolution was pathetic. I will never use Hotels.com again.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

My deceased wife booked our stays and Hotels.com will not honor those nights. I even wrote the CEO and ** signed for the letter with her death certificate and my past confirmation numbers. They have not even replied. I will NEVER do business with them again. Every airline was glad to help but hotels.com really doesn’t care about existing customers, that’s obvious.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

Hotels.com customer service has been a nightmare. Booked a room last minute while traveling a long distance not thinking a Super 8 would be as filthy as the one we walked into. Hotels.com was no help in receiving a refund and they kept giving us the run around. I will never book through them again. They will steal your money at any opportunity.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

Reserved a hotel room for night of 11/1 in Moab. Due to flight change and rental car business being closed upon arrival we asked if we could Have our reservation changed to 11/2. They refused. Will not Be doing business with Hotels.com again. Will tell others about our awful experience.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

I made a reservation through the website Hotels.com in a 4-star hotel in Mauritius with intercontinental breakfast included for my family, 2 adults and 2 children Arriving at the hotel there was only one guard who said that there was no one at the reception that they were closed. After 3 hours of trying to get in touch with the Hotels.com team and the hotel, only at 7 pm, someone showed up with the keys to the apartment, which did not match what we had rented. Everything in the city closed at 19:30-20:00 and we couldn't even buy water for our family, so we ran out of water. In the room, there was no water for our guests (4 stars). After entering the elevator did not work and we were given a room on the top floor and one of the children has a disability and cannot climb stairs. We had to carry her.

The next day we waited for breakfast and a lady came and slammed the door with a small basket of bread and a liter of milk and they said it was just that (not even napkins), no coffee table, nothing. We asked the Hotels.com team to relocate or give us reimbursement of the values. I spent 4 hours with them in a chat and they promised me that the supervisor would call me in 30 minutes. After 2 hours I connected again with them and the person told me that in 10 days it would solve. How can I stay in the middle of the street without a hotel to stay in, with 2 children being one with a disability? Is this at least human????

Hotels.com Company Information