1.12/5

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2442 Hotels.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Chose Hotels.com ONLY because I have a Capital One Credit Card and they offer a 10X point incentive. Needless to say I will never use Hotels.com again. Among other things, the reservation process was deceptive and misleading to the consumer. For example, they admitted they provided no options for “pay now” or “pay at hotel” yet accused me of somehow picking one of these options. What? Would not allow me to reschedule or cancel or rebook. The messaging throughout the transaction is not clear and very misleading to the point where you are prevented as a consumer from making an informed decision based on the information provided. Contacted customer service and could barely understand the rep or manager due to a severe language barrier. They were clearly untrained in customer service as evidenced by a missing “listening phase” on their part and then hanging up on me.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

My husband travels for business and books about 200 hotel night a year, we do a lot of personal travel as well. Apparently the rewards cannot be tied to both your personal and business emails in order to accumulate rewards points. Needless to say, we will be taking our business elsewhere.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I booked a hotel through Hotels.com the night before my mother and I went on a cruise out of Miami, and for the night we got back from the cruise at the same hotel. On our way from Seattle to Miami, sitting in the Raleigh, NC airport, I began to look through my reservations, wondering if they would have a shuttle when we got to the airport (not realizing what a ** I had booked). I realized the front desk closes at 9 pm and we were not getting in until after midnight. I called the front desk, spoke to a woman who told me I had to fill out a bunch of paperwork, send her a photo of my ID and my credit card, and they were charging me another $40 to send me a code for the door. I was annoyed to say the least. At that moment, I received an email from Hotels.com asking about my experience with the choices of a happy face or an unhappy face. I chose the unhappy face, because I was irritated.

Moments later, my phone rang. It was the front desk lady, and she passed the phone off to a gentleman who started yelling at me. "You left me negative feedback and I demand you remove it right now." I told him it was not my priority, as I was getting on an airplane. He told me he was the owner of the hotel and it WAS his priority. After letting him harass and intimidate me for far too long, I told him I was not going to allow someone to talk to me the way he was, and to cancel my room for that evening, as well as the next week. He said it was already done, as I don't think he had any intention of letting us stay there if I refused to delete the negative feedback.

We got to Miami with no place to stay and every hotel was booked. My elderly mother who is in a wheelchair and I spent the night on a park bench, and waited for the sun to come up to make it to our cruise ship. Now Hotels.com is standing behind this conman. Apparently Hotels.com has no problem with their contracted hotels to intimidate and harass. This man does not deserve my money after the way he acted. He had nothing to lose. I booked my room months in advance. He already had my money and he has a "no refund policy." Nothing is stopping him from harassing and terrorizing people. Hotels.com should be ashamed of themselves for losing a customer over $115 and backing this UNSTABLE person.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

When you place a reservation through Hotels.com they do not send you any updates or courtesy emails and they do not share your information with the hotel so there is never any courtesy emails coming from the hotel either. However, when you book through Booking.com, you'll receive reminder emails and courtesy emails from the hotel you booked which allows the hotel to check on you around the last 4 weeks before your arrival to see if you need to cancel or if you are confirming that you are still coming. Also, they sent us courtesy emails asking what time our flights were coming in and if we needed someone to pick us up at the airport.

Do not use Hotels.com! Hotels.com charged me $2,531.00 for a hotel in Cancun that I never stayed at. They claim that I booked a reservation and they even had an email that they said they sent to me when I first reserved but there was never any additional emails for 8 months before the trip from either hotels.com or the hotel which turned out to be Ocean Dream. So basically I got charged to my credit card $2,531.00 for a hotel I never stayed at. I contacted hotels.com and Ocean Dream in Cancun and either is willing to return my money. I have contacted my credit card to report fraud against hotels.com. My recommendation is to use Booking.com. They are much safer because of the email follow-ups.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Stayed in New York in Manhattan January 29. Hotels.com advertised the rate at a two-digit price plus taxes and amenities, then showed me the likely price I'd pay based on average NYC taxes and fees. I did not notice that the price I authorized my credit card on included an amenities fee of greater than twice the advertised room rate!!! GOTCHA! I called hotels.com after this experience. I asked for a Supervisor and got a woman who told me that I should always double-check the price before I click. She refused to let me speak to anybody else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

The lack of concern from management after a horrible experience at one your preferred locations is outrageous. Myself and another were attacked by bugs in your hotel after paying $800 and management claimed that he was going to reverse the charges and never did. Use your site against my good will one more time and was disappointed again. Paid in advance for a room for 7 days and decided to leave on the sixth day after an unpleasant stay and was told that I will not be getting a refund regardless of my experiences from hotels.com. Please take heed and realize that people do not take Precious time out of their day to create an account and to leave false reviews. This is a horrible unethical wannabe business that needs to be destroyed! If management wants to contact me please contact me at this number **.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I personally did not use Hotels.com. Somebody had got ahold of my credit card information and managed to go through PayPal to go to Hotels.com. She used my credit card to book a room in her name. PayPal has already refunded my money. But I wish to press charges. But my local police said I need to know where she is. Hotels.com refuse to help. They said the reservation is not in my name so they won't give me any information although the credit card used to pay for has my name on it. So essentially they won't even tell me what state she's in. I can't file a police report until I know. They were rude, unprofessional and I would not recommend anyone using them. It seems they like the criminals and protect them.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I very frequently used this website for my travels and was considered a "Silver" status member which supposedly entitled to me to a higher level of customer service, but their customer service is unfortunately non-existent. I arrived at a hotel in Manila, Philippines and the staff member struggled with English and did not understand that my booking had already been paid for through the Hotels.com website. It was late at night and I was exhausted so I paid cash for the room expecting the matter would easily be rectified in the morning. I send an email explaining the situation to the customer service team that wrote:

"Hello Michael, Greetings from Hotels.com customer support! This is regarding your reservation under itinerary number **. We understand that you want to get a refund for the charges taken from your card by Vista Apartelle & Restaurant. We immediately contacted them to validate the charges and as per them you arrived at the property but failed to inform the front desk that you have a reservation with them, no itinerary details provided. Therefore, you were tagged as a walk-in customer, availed their 12-hour rate, and paid using your credit card. They also stated that you only presented a confirmation booking on your mobile phone before you check out today. Since the room from your original reservation was a guaranteed booking and reserved for you, giving out a refund will mean a lost of sale to the property, hence, no refund can be processed.

"We apologize that we are unable to resolve this issue to your satisfaction. Please be advised that we only act as a booking agent for the hotels and we are bound with their policy. It is the hotel's discretion if we are able to process a refund. We have exhausted all efforts to accommodate your request but as a result of not getting an approval from the hotel, we cannot process it. Your utmost understanding on this matter is highly appreciated. Kofi **. Customer Service Specialist, Hotels.com." Basically, they did nothing to help despite the fact it was clearly a mistake on behalf of the hotel. Beware of Hotels.com as they will leave you high and dry if there is an issue or any kind. I will never use this service again.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

The guaranteed pricing is a bit of a misnomer, as after I found a lower price, they wouldn't match it because of the timing or something. It was very confusing and I think it's much simpler to just book directly through the hotel.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I will never use Hotels.com again, we booked a hotel in Haiti a week in advance. Got confirmation number email. We arrive to check into the hotel and was told they have been trying to reach us (which is false), because the hotel cancelled our reservation due to maintenance plumbing issues. We got referred to another hotel. They sent an email apologizing and that we will receive a refund. Here we are over a week later still not refund. Even after multiple calls to Hotels.com they refuse to issue a refund. I'm pretty sure this is false advertising.

Hotels.com Company Information