3.3/5 (748 ratings)

About Hotels.com

Hotels.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

Review needed revised. Left review in 2015, but did not go through. Do NOT stay at this hotel. They steal your deposit and personal items! The hotel claimed my daughter used 'permanent' markers on the back of the room chair. # 1 - She had NO permanent markers # 2 - We were gone almost every day, basically all day long # 3 - My daughter reads & writes (she's not a baby making messes) # 4 - I had visitors every day (on the days we were actually in the room) - My daughter was watched at ALL times # 5 - We left several items (including writing utensils, etc) on the desk table. On the times we left the room, our stuff was always moved!! Someone had been messing with our stuff.

If it was for cleaning purposes, there would NOT be that much dust that our stuff had to be touched every single day!! # 6 - IF there were marks from "so-called" 'permanent' markers (which we did not have), ALL marks can be removed by using PURELL (a hand sanitizer). I KNOW this, because I have personally had little accidents on countertops and wood at home when writing out a list. IF there were markings, PURELL takes off ANYTHING! And it does not cost $100!! The chair in the room is a BLACK leather-like texture. Markings should not be able to be seen on BLACK leather-like texture like that. Because our stuff had been touched several times, I believe this is some kind of scam to extort money from people during their stay. IF there were marks, why didn't they contact me before?? I was staying there 1 week. Surely it would have been noticed.

What a great way to scam people out of their deposit, by waiting until they have left the hotel and then claiming there was some so-called damage. If there were markings on the back of the chair like they claim, I believe they did the markings themselves. The day before we left, our room was cleaned. Stuff had been moved again from the desk. We returned between 2am-2.30am and had to check out less than 10 hours later. Why wasn't a message given to me that there was so-called marks on the back of the chair?? No notes and nothing mentioned upon checkout at the front office. The room was cleaned, our items touched and moved around while we were gone ALL day, the day before we left. I also had 2 things stolen as well. When I called the hotel the day after checkout, they claimed they had nothing. I know room cleaning stole my things. At least they weren't expensive and I can find them in Walmart or Kmart.

They tried telling me that they probably threw it away. Room cleaning claimed they saw nothing in the room. Our stuff was continually moved during cleaning (mainly the desk table and bathroom area). Luggage appeared untouched, but luggage all had locks. I believe IF there are marks on the chair, that they put the marks there. Otherwise, they would have notified me before I had left. We were gone, out of town (which I can prove we were out of town), for approximately 16 hours. Got home late and had to do checkout. They cleaned the room while we were gone, moved stuff and had LOTS of time to investigate the room. So why did they wait until AFTER we had checked out to keep our $100 deposit?!?! And when I called a day after about my missing things, how come they did NOT mention any so-called marks on the chair?!? It's way too suspicious how they handled this situation.

It wasn't until later when I saw that the deposit was kept and not returned on my credit card. All I want is my $100 back and returned back on my credit card. IF there were markings on the back of that Black chair, I believe they put them there. IF there are markings, easily removable by using Purell. But surely, they had PLENTY of time to notify me BEFORE we left the room, to show the so-called marks to me. But they said NOTHING to me. I would like my deposit money refunded. Never again would I stay or recommend this hotel with what they are doing to their customers. They should be ashamed of themselves. God is watching them!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

Don't use Hotels.com, it totally unhelpful. I booked a trip to Thailand during pandemic (paid in full) and they sent me a coupon. Allows me to use it for next trip till end of the year, however I have a surgery scheduled on December and cannot travel before the date, so I called them and requested to extend the expiry date for a few months. The customer service responded that they are not able to make an extension. Why should I book hotel thru Hotels.com? They are so unhelpful, I'll book directly with the hotels or use other online tools.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

After staying 2 days, due to hotel issues our 1st night, we decided to add on 2 more nights to the stay so we could try to enjoy a few more nights. I mistakenly did not add my husband when booking on hotels.com. I attempted to add my husband after realizing my mistake and they would not assist in adding him. The hotel said they could only do this for $1200 after an hour they decided to charge $884. Hotels.com cost was $400 more to do this but they would not modify my request. The hotel took advantage of the situation and charged $884 more because they would not allow Hotels.com to modify. Hotels.com claimed the hotel was to blame and they would not modify. Both blamed each other and we are stuck with outrageous charges that weren’t charged the first 2 days.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

I made a mistake and didn’t click for two people for my room stay and they will not allow me to add my husband to the vacation. Sam, the representative was very uncooperative, and didn’t want to take the time out to assist.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

I’ve been a hotels.com customer for years and book hotels monthly sometimes twice a month and never had problems with their rewards nights but now they don’t want to honor it. Not worth it anymore at all cause what’s the point if they don’t give you your free night once you book ten nights.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

I booked a reservation for a Red Roof Inn hotel, but the hotel had cockroaches. I have been trying to contact Hotels.com for a refund, but I cannot contact them. I tried their chat, but it cannot find my reservation through a combination of reservation number, phone number and/or email address. I then tried to contact Hotels.com via phone, but even though it could find my reservation, the "system is down. Try later." And finally, I found an email address via Google Search, but apparently that has gone away so I now cannot find an email address.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

DO NOT EVER BOOK THROUGH HOTELS.COM. We booked hotels for our fall break last week, October 8 - 14 and most of our hotels we booked were through Hotels.com to keep things easier and earn credit towards a free night stay through their rewards program. One of the hotels we booked through Hotels.com was Secrets Inn in Lake Tahoe South ** for October 9 and 10. Someone from Secrets Inn called us to confirm our arrival at about 5pm that afternoon as we were driving over 8 hours to arrive, and we let them know we would be there BEFORE 9pm. We arrived by 8:45 p.m. to find that NO ONE was in their office, lights out with a sign that said, check in at Heavenly Inn next door.

We go to Heavenly Inn. The lights were out. No One in office. We knocked and knocked, rang the doorbell and waited 10 minutes or longer. NO ONE showed up. We had nowhere to stay. So we contacted Hotels.com. There is NO PHONE NUMBER TO REACH A LIVE CUTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE. We had to use their chat feature which was fine as they did respond right away and put us on a brief hold while they CALLED SECRETS INN. They got back on chat with us and said they were hung up three times by Secrets Inn and had no resolution. We had to find an alternative place to stay. Very inconvenient... But to make matter crazy and unbelievable, hotels.com still charged us for those two nights even after we disputed and disputed - all through email.. Again, no live customer service support at all...

We went back and for three to four times disputing this and then we called SECRETS INN and all they could give us was an email to Priya, the manager at secretsinn@yahoo.com. We reached out to her twice with the details of the horrible event and NO STAY DUE TO THEM NOT BEING AT THE HOTEL and all she said in her email was "Let me check with the front desk as we have extended our hours of operations for past 1 year. I will get back with you soon." Unbelievable... So I ended up contacting our credit card company to file a dispute against hotels.com as they would not remove those charges! I urge you to NEVER BOOK WITH HOTELS.COM AND DEFINITELY NEVER SECRETS INN IN LAKE TAHOE SOUTH. It will be for your own good. Very shocked at this entire event. HORRIBLE...

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

I made a reservation for Hotel but the days I selected got override by the website. I did not notice that until after I confirmed the reservation. I contact them through their website chat. No way to contact them by phone. The "agent" on the website said that he tried to contact the hotel but is getting no response for 4 days straight. My answer to that is balloony. I called the hotel myself and made the change. Of course, Hotels.Com kept my money and I paid the hotel directly and it was 30% less than what Hotels.Com charged me. Lessons learned. Never again use Hotels.com Call the hotel directly and save yourself headaches and aggravation.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

I made a booking through Hotels.com months in advance, which they took full payment for. Once, I showed up at the hotel I booked, the conditions were terrible. I asked for a full refund from the hotel, which they agreed to, once I contacted Hotels.com and they requested the refund. I started the process of requesting the refund through Hotels.com that day and here I am a week later with no help at all. The online chat agent option is a joke; it asks for email and confirmation number, which I provided, and then says, "It's not correct" or "Please provide it again." I know the information is correct because I am looking at the booking through their website using the same information. No phone number to call, no email address to write to, nothing. Terrible Customer Service.!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2022

After years of using hotel.com with no problems, I finally needed to contact customer service. It was a complete waste of time! Their automated system couldn't find my reservation. Once I finally got connected with a virtual chat agent (the only option), they still could not help. They attempted to connect me to the 'relocations department' by phone (they called me) but the call dropped and I had no number to call back. They never called me back. I attempted 2 more times and couldn't connect to virtual chat. Once I got home I attempted again and now they tell me there's nothing they can do because the reservation is over. We stayed 3 days in a hotel with no heat during 40° weather and hotels.com wants to give me a $25 coupon for my next visit. No thanks. We won't use Hotels.com again.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

My mother and I booked the majestic hotel in casablanca through this website on 15/7/22, to travel on 8/10/22. The price was amazing, Inc a private sale?? We questioned this and made a few calls to check, on each occasion we were given reassurance that this was the price and the hotel was confirmed. Email confirmation received with booking ref etc, downloaded the app and showed the same.

We arrived on the day after a long journey, went to check in only to be told no room was booked, we showed the confirmation email as well as the confirmation on the app along with booking ref and room details etc. Reception staff were very helpful and explained this is something Hotels.com do frequently, we had no room, tired and hungry. We finally booked a room directly with the hotel and yes paid again. We have tried to contact hotels.com on numerous occasions since arriving and what a surprise our booking ref does not exist now! So now we are out of pocket. Please beware, hotels.com does and can scam people. Will never book through these again nor will we recommend to anyone around the world.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I used to love Hotels.com. Something has changed. I recently booked a hotel called Sonder The Broughton in Savanah Georgia September 10, 2022 -- Sept 16, 2022. We went with family and had two beds. We could not open our hideaway bed because it was bent so severely. After 4 calls to the Sonder "TEAM", they came out the next day to open the bed. Half of the springs were missing. We tried to sleep on it and felt like we were going to fall. We ended up sleeping on the floor (at least this time we had the mattress pulled out to sleep on). What joke... there was no customer service and the guy that did come out, unplugged the router. The more I think about it, the more it seemed like retaliation. He had to make an effort to go over to the router and unplug everything???

On another note, there was a bar under the Sonder Hotel that played very loud music until it closed. I love my music but not so much after midnight when trying to sleep. The reason this review is also about Hotels.com is that I left a very long review on the Hotels.com website. I found that the review has never appeared when I pull up the Sonder Boughton listing. I'm writing this because I am planning another trip. I started looking at reviews and was going to base my trip on the reviews. I decided to check my last (pretty negative) review and it had been censored.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I am a totally blind sixty-year-old woman, who was traveling alone with my guide dog to meet some colleagues for the first time to Zurich Switzerland and booked a room at the Hotel Hechtplatz. I paid in advance for two weeks. Five days in to my trip, my friends and I went to Italy, I left half my stuff their and when I arrived back at the hotel around two in the morning Linda the owner came out yelling at me that I couldn’t stay there as she had already rented my room out. I was forced to rent a room of three times the cost, as it was such short notice because she kicked me out.

As you may imagine being blind I had spent much time learning my way around this neighborhood, and being displaced and put in a completely different place it took me much of my time to figure things out. I was neither compensated for my room, trouble, or inconvenience, and since Linda never reported my stay to Hotels.com, I am unable to leave a review on their site so others can see what Hotel Hechtplatz is really like. I have traveled all over the world and have never been treated with such disrespect. I spoke with Hotels.com many times and they refused to take action against this horrible hotel.

Libbi

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

UNFORTUNATELY- I will have to delete my Hotels app after 3 plus years and NEVER use Hotels again. I did like using them but now after using the app to book and PAY for 25 nights recently they have LOCKED my last free rewards night and REFUSE to give me what I am owed. Calling is a joke because it is VERY difficult to speak to a human. So I tried messaging per my previous comment BUT they still will not help. They say it’s used but that is untrue! The upgrade to my Hotels app has removed my completed bookings so the last 25 nights I booked in the last 30 days does not show up! How convenient. Hotels should be reported to a consumer protection department - I will check into that.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

Where do I start – disgraceful maybe the best place? History: I made a booking in early 2020 for a hotel in Greece for the family holiday from Australia. COVID hits and everything is cancelled – no problems, things happen. Hotels.com issues me a voucher for the same hotel (only to be used at this hotel, no other) – and after 2.5 years, it expires in a couple of months.

Not a snowballs chance in hell that I will ever be able to use the voucher. So I asked Hotels.com for one of two things – please allow the voucher to be used in Australia or a refund – their answer was immediately no to both. And I quote from the help desk operator “Sir, you already have a voucher for the hotel and it is not our problem if you cannot use it”…

Really? You took a customer’s money, paid for the hotel yourselves on my behalf, took your commission, and now it is not your problem? So, I lament back to the original thought of where to start, and now to end, Disgraceful! I will never in my life book through them again and will always tell this story to anyone thinking of using their services. Consumers beware… Ps: Do not confuse Hotels.com (American) with Hotels.com.au (an Aussie company with some integrity, honesty and customer focus).

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

Hotels.com is the definition of fraud. Their site tricked me into booking a hostel for $120 and then charged me an extra $167 for tax! After realizing I've been frauded I canceled the booking through their site. I also called the property and told them I want to cancel, but she did not have any record of my name for that hotel! Now they are refusing to refund me saying the room is nonrefundable! Do not trust Hotel.com.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

We have a major hurricane coming in and had to cancel our reservations we had in Key West and they still charged us a huge amount for cancellation under these extreme conditions. I can’t believe it. Florida is under emergency and they didn’t understand that…Wow. We won’t be using this company ever again.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

I had a reservation to Lake Tahoe but unfortunately I had to cancel it due a nearby fire. I called Hotels.com and tried to cancel the reservation. I was told the hotel itself had to authorize the refund. I called the hotel and I was told it needed to be requested by Hotels.com. I called Hotels.com and told them what they needed to do. Hotels.com claimed they could not get ahold of the hotel. I told them that I just talked to them. They still claimed that they could not get ahold of someone from the hotel and refused to issue the refund. STAY AWAY FROM THIS WEBSITE. It sounds like a scam since they don't have a number to call.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

Sherrilyn that works for this agency has given me false information, and no hope at all to book with them. She upcharged a room by $49.51 and told me that was the cheapest they can offer. Stay away from them! They are scammers.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

I made a reservation through Hotels.com and realized that I had booked the wrong hotel.. I called back within 30 min to cancel. The person I talked with put me on hold in order to call the hotel.. when she returned she said she could not get hold of the resort and that my reservation was non-refundable…but my reservation did state that I had free cancellation up till August 31. Since I had reservation protection I tried that route but did not qualify.. I called back to hotels.com and again explained what had happen., The lady on the line was very accommodating and said she would cancel my reservation and call the resort to get a waiver to refund my money she said to give them 72 hrs…

After 72 hrs I contacted hotels.com to see what the status was…they sent an email stating that they were able to cancel my reservation but since they could not get hold of the resort they could not refund my money.. My reservation was for New Year's Eve… I have never heard of not being able to cancel a reservation 4 months in advance and the fact I tried to cancel the same day I made the reservation.. It sounds very strange that they could never get hold of the resort to fix this.. I feel that they stole $500 from me…I have since called my credit card company and initiated a fraud claim.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Hotel personnel very nice. I found out that Hotels.com had charge me $95.00 more. I should of call the hotel directly. I will never use Hotels.com again. Very disappointed. I thought Hotels.com were supposed get us a discount, not overcharge us.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

Awesome service and such friendly workers. Great infrastructure, perfect swimming pool. Love to visit again Everyone was so friendly. Everything was so clean. And everyone was quite attentive. I would stay here again, next time I'm in California.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

I had my hotels.com account broke into along with several other accounts. When I upgraded my phone and erased the data apparently your data is never fully erased and someone reversed it and got into my accounts. They stole my free hotel stay from hotels.com hotels.com wouldn’t do anything about it and had the nerve to say it was my fault for not keeping the account more secure. They stole thousands of dollars out of my bank account and the bank reversed that. But hotels.con wouldn’t give me back my free night I had earned. Not only that they were rude about it and acted like I made the choice to become a victim. I will never use their service again. I’ve spent thousands of dollars through them and that’s the load of crap I get. Worst business ever.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

Upon trying to visit someone in a nearby hospital, I found a hotel on Hotels.com and planned my stay. As it was New Year's, and it was quite a fiasco in the hotel, I elected to stay another night. The hotel offered to switch the reservations but Hotels.com was closed in that department after 45 minutes of being on hold. I called numerous times to f/u and they insistently keep the money but deny the situation. EXTREMELY POOR SERVICE - DO NOT USE. I have close to 1,000,000 reads of my reviews on Google, I don't make this stuff up.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Good reviews are fake, this place is filthy!! Gross clientele hanging around. Trash and dirt everywhere, inside and out. I don’t know how anyone could rate this a good hotel. It is filthy inside and out, skipped breakfast just for that reason. All hallways are dirty and need vacuuming. Trash and duct tape in lobby for our entire visit. Hair in bathtub, pee droplets in front of toilet, beds were old and not pillow tops as advertised, trash on end tables, cigarette burns on curtains, lamp shades stained with what looks like blood, people living in motor homes behind property and smells of cigarettes and Fabuloso. At $240 a night you would think they could hire a few more staff members to help clean and fix property. Just awful!!

Hello Mr. **, Could you please follow up with Hotels.com and your manager at the location? I was told by Hotels.com that they were sorry for the issues with the hotel and would need to speak to the manager to okay a refund. I was told it would be no later than four days to accomplish this, that was on the 25th of August. Below is the conversation with Hotels.com. I will also forward you my original complaint. This sure seems like "speak to them" no please "speak to them". My family travels a lot and has only requested a refund one other time. I hope this will be enough to handle the situation and I can stop wasting both of our time. Thank you,

They have given me the run around for 2 weeks, saying it's Wyndham that needs to verify, and Hotels.com needs to give refund. Neither will answer. Hotels.com website is a joke if you want to talk to a real human. They say to put in email and confirmation number to get refund and then the automated system says it can't find it. What a joke.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

I booked a room in Holiday Inn Express Webster Rochester for 3 people through Hotels.com and paid $350 CAD and the time we arrived there, surprisingly I was told that the room was sold out. I contacted hotels.com, after 2 hours on the phone they relocated us in a dirty room with only one bed and no breakfast. I asked for refund, once they agreed to refund $150 but next time they said no refund at all. I never go back to book through hotels.com

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

I used Hotels.com for over twenty nights reservations for which I received and used one night award. Then things got weird. They try hard to keep you from using your awards making the incentive worthless after you get the ten nights in! Ex: make a reservation after accumulating 10 nights, then look for that free night. No way, unless you select a button, redeem award, when you start to reserve! So missing that small box, no way to go back after you realize. Obviously, they don’t want you use the free night, or they would have an opt out box if you do not want to use the award, instead of opt in! Called, no way to fix. Now, even worse, when reserving and you can choose pre pay all or pay at hotel. Pay more if now. Then if you choose to pay later, i.e. in case you need to cancel, YOU LOSE THE RIGHT TO USE YOUR FREE NIGHT on that reservation! My award was to encourage me to use their site and now they take it away unless I pay in advance.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

On 18 August 2022 I made a booking for accommodation in Plettenberg Bay through Hotels.com. The name of the venue is not disclosed by me for privacy reasons. Hotels.com required full payment upfront in the amount of R 20 000-00 (which was paid by my husband) and stated that there was a no refunds policy. I then received a booking confirmation from Hotels.com stating that my booking was guaranteed. After this, I did some investigation into the property and saw a review where the accommodation had been “double booked” and that when the people arrived there on the day the owner of the accommodation was of no assistance and told them to speak to the company who they booked through as this was the entity who was liable.

This immediately raised my suspicion and I made contact with Hotels.com and asked them to confirm the booking in writing from the owner otherwise we wanted to cancel. On 20 August 2022 I received an e-mail from Hotels.com stating that they could not get a hold of the owner and because of this they could not arrange the cancellation and/or refund as there was a no refunds policy. This lead to further investigation by me. I managed to track down the owner of the property through Facebook and was advise by him that the property is no longer being hired out for holiday accommodation and that he told Hotels.com to remove the listing on three separate occasions.

This was brought to the attention of Hotels.com on Monday, 22 August 2022, by my husband who required that they either provide us with the requested confirmation in writing (which is impossible) or a refund by close of business Wednesday, 24 August 2022. We also gave Hotels.com the contact details of the owner as they had previously stated that they could not get ahold of him. Our e-mail was responded to by Hotels.com where they advised that we would be contacted within 48 hours.

Both these timelines have come and gone and we have not been contacted by Hotels.com nor have we been refunded the payment made. I accept that there is a no refunds policy but surely this cannot apply where there is no accommodation booked in the first place! We are taking appropriate steps against Hotels.com but warn all persons against using them in the future.”

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

Horrible experience. Booked through Hotels.com when we arrived at the hotel it looked nothing like the pictures. Horrible smell to the hotel, the room door had been broken into. It appeared the hotel was used as a ** lab. The hotel clerk allowed us to cancel and refunded the full fee back to hotels.com. Now I have been trying to get hotels.com come to refund us and have had no luck, the Consumer call center is horrible. They put you on hold. Transfer you around and continue to say they are not allowed to refund. I have been working on this for 2 weeks and have spent hours on hold. In the process I also found out that hotels.com actually charges more than booking directly with the hotel. Horrible company!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

Most 2 star hotels I was barred as a guest because I gave food to elderly living in hotels under their social security checks..fraud. Three star hotels gave managers that lie to police like Best Western in Baytown. If they pull cameras they will see the lies. Woodspring managers believe rumors from fireman that never entered my room while EMTs worked with my heart patient husband while I was disabled and hadn't walked in a week and was not get the nurse care for my legs because of a rumor and Hotels.com still billed me and set me up in another hotel that caused trauma and Hell and medical and legal problems while I am a disabled minister volunteering with the homeless.

A lot of paid reservations weren't honored because hotels were booked up. I expect full refund from all stays from March until August 15th. All hotels tell me hotels.com is a 3rd party booking scam. And most times they overcharge more than hotel's natural rates. I made a video about the hotel on Maxey Road in Houston and put it on YouTube. Some hotels have cockroaches in which they call water bugs. Most breakfasts offers are jokes and hotels that don't take pets do not clean carpets regularly. Customer service stinks and are rude and resolve nothing! Refunds doesn't always come. Got to get banks involved.

Hotels.com Company Information