3.4/5 (773 ratings)

About Hotels.com

Hotels.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: June 1, 2022

I booked a hotel room in Kigali with my credit card, got a confirmation from Hotels.com. I arrived in Kigali and found out the hotel was not contacted, no room was booked and money was taken from my credit card. No number to call, just a robot on the site, no refund. I will not recommend Hotels.com to anyone, scam, scam, scam.

Original review: May 31, 2022

I started with a simple Google search for Accommodation 29th May. I was directed to Hotels.com. I made and paid for the booking at Marriot London City Airport for £84. However, when I was directed to the site, my dates were changed to the 30th. I notified Hotels.com - their response was "we can definitely help... we need to charge you £119." Naturally, I assumed this was a penalty charge so I would need to pay the difference between 119 and 84 because of the change. When I questioned her, she said, "No, that's the extra charge." "So I'd be paying £119 over and above the £84," I said. She agreed and said yes. I asked, "How much to cancel my booking", she said £84. Absolutely terrible customer service and not willing at all to try and help... If I didn't know better I would think they are just there to take your money, once the moneys in their account... you're on your own. I will definitely never use them again!!!

Original review: May 23, 2022

This is the third (and Last) time I have been taken by this company. I have booked hotels that have been closed, terrible quality, and my last experience is the final straw. The last experience was we booked a 3 star hotel room that turned into a 1 star, the desk clerk said the reservation went through.... I called Hotels.com to get some help and nobody answered. I had to book the room again. The 150.00 (hotels.com "discounts it" it to 90.00) room instantly turned into a 60.00 room. I disputed the room through my CC company and lost. Don't bother using this company. EVERY TIME I booked a room through them I could drive up to the hotel they advertise and get it cheaper.

Original review: May 23, 2022

Your itinerary:** -King's Royale Hotel and Resort, Bacolor Pampanga Phils. I have been a constant user of Hotels.com, it was this year that I was dismayed with how they treat their loyal customers. Please see turn on events: March 7, 2022 - booking and confirmation was processed for said property and email confirmation received from Hotels.com - nonrefundable booking. This is assuming that the property they REPRESENT is legit based on previous transactions with them.

April 26, 2022 - an email received from them reminding of my upcoming booking which is standard. April 30, 2022 - event came after long hours of traveling that the hotel I booked has been closed since 2019 and was now used for local government office. No one in the site can talk to me (they actually push me away). I was so dismayed and the experience was so terrifying for my 2 children and husband that I need to find my way and look for another hotel that can accomodate us. That same day I reached out to their CS chatbot to document the complaint. Even sent them my reviews in the confirmation booking site.

May 6, 2022 - they acknowledged my email and told me that this would take 8 hours to fix since I am asking for a full refund. May 7, 2022 - they finally responded that they cannot make a REFUND since they cannot CONTACT the property (of course since it's already closed). I replied the same day that this is not acceptable. I trusted and made the transaction through Hotels.com. Meaning they REPRESENT the said hotel in terms of legitimacy. I even mentioned the least they can do is return their service charge if not full.

UNTIL now they ignored and discredited my request. This is after a series of follow as well to their Customer Service office. Sadly Phils. DTI has no power over International organizations such as Hotels.com. I am sharing this experience to warm others. I am still frustrated and would soon delete this app. Hope Consumer affairs can help or penalize such organizations who fail to fulfill their commitment to their loyal customers.

Original review: May 19, 2022

I'll include my story, but I agree with everyone who already left a negative review. I feel like they are committing fraud. I originally tried to move the dates booked on a hotel to one day later. The hotel said it is simple & would be fine, but I have to make the transaction through Hotels.com, which makes perfect sense since that's where I originally booked the hotel. I contacted a rep from Hotels.com on the phone who moved the dates for me & asked if a $7.89 charge would be acceptable for the night differential. I agreed knowing the hotel might cost a few bucks more on that specific night. The charge turned out to be $78.90 instead of $7.89. He would not fix "his mistake."

Then the problem just got worse. I already paid for the hotel in full, then this extra charge. I started getting very angry & I asked to speak with a manager, but the rep denied me access with a manager! He told me "it's a 4-hour wait for a manager & trust me, you don't want to wait that." I told him I would wait as this is a matter of principle now. He still denied access. The rep then said "just between me & you," I'll offer you a coupon for $100, but you have to re-pay the full price of the hotel now. His math made no sense & I didn't want him to charge anything anymore!! "I just want that small refund from your original mistake."

I called back 10 more times, spoke with 10 different reps, none who were stationed in this country, and ALL reps would not let me speak with a manager! They blatantly just said no! In one phone call, I heard chickens & roosters in the background. I felt like I was in the twilight zone. Nonetheless, the issue was never fixed & I feel like I was taken advantage of. I'm now going through my bank to have the charge reversed. In 20 years with my bank, I have never once filed a dispute. This sucks.

Original review: May 19, 2022

We booked a resort on 4/27/2022 and paid $703 and paid in full for a 2 night stay on 5/15/22 to 5/17/2022. Hotel said bill was $563. We were overcharged $119 and Hotel.com said, "Oh well," and refused to refund difference. I am reporting them to BBB and FTC for fraud!!!

Original review: May 18, 2022

Hotels.com is the biggest scam. I have booked through them several times so that I could earn their free hotel night. After booking through them several times, I was finally almost to my rewards and they conveniently made my booking such a mess that I ended up paying for an extra room that I didn't need. If you call, no one knows how to speak your language clearly (that's a win for them as well). Pretty much, I was taken advantage of and instead of a free night I'm paying them an extra $50. Thanks Hotels. com. After I paid them, I cancelled my other bookings, deleted their app and I will NEVER BOOK THROUGH THEM AGAIN.

Original review: May 18, 2022

I will never use Hotels.com again, or any of Expedia.com‘s other subsidiary companies. Last summer, Hotels.com sold me two rooms (some work colleagues and I had a leg of our flight cancelled) and when we got to the hotel they did not have any rooms available; both Hotels.com and the hotel refused to refund us for rooms they couldn’t provide, saying they were non-refundable rooms. But again, we never got the rooms. The complete incompetence and unwillingness to help was outrageous. We were left stranded overnight in SLC. I spent months writing emails and making phone calls while never getting any help, or seeing a dime of refund for hotel rooms we paid for, let alone any compensation for our terrible inconvenience and all the trouble we went to get help with the matter. Both the hotel and Hotels.com blamed each other and neither of these giant corporations cared enough about their customers to make it right. It remains unresolved still.

Original review: May 18, 2022

Using Hotel.com was a big mistake. We got given the worst room at the property which I was very disappointed with as I was staying there for a week. It is the worst holiday I had ever had I was bitterly disappointed. If those bastards were clear on the room I was getting I would not have chosen that one. I worked very hard for my money and didn't won that holiday in a competition. I would never ever use bloody hotels.com as long as I live. You are nasty and misleading. I hope that company will go out of business.

Original review: May 17, 2022

I made several hotel bookings with free cancellation option for a trip to Japan. Price went down later so I cancelled the bookings and rebook with the lower price. Then Hotels.com cancelled all my bookings without any explanation. Tried to contact them and got an answer of violating their terms of use. All the bookings included free cancellation. I don't understand why I couldn't cancel and rebook with a lower price. Will NEVER use this website again, not even its mother company Expedia!

Original review: May 17, 2022

Had to cancel European travel in 2019 as could not leave Australia for obvious reasons. Got most things refunded or vouchered, but Hotels.com was intransigence personified. Voucher could only be used at the same hotel, and was very limited with use-by dates. No other company involved in rearranging travel were as hard to contact, or as restrictive. Booking.com, Luxury Travel, Qantas, Singapore Airlines etc, etc, all SO much better. The only company behaving worse was SAS.

Original review: May 14, 2022

I'll try to make it short and to the point. 1. I booked through hotels.com, which showed free parking. 2. The hotel charged a convenience fee. When asked about it, the manager stated it was a fee to cover parking. 3. I called Hotels.com several times to ask for clarification and for a refund. 4. They did not offer a refund, instead I got a coupon that until now I have not been able to apply since it is not available at check-out when booking through their website or app. 5. I have called hotels.com serveral times to ask how I am supposed to apply the credit I have. They have not only been unhelpful but extremely rude (always keeping me on hold for extended periods of time until I give up and end the call or just hanging on me).

6. I am unable to apply the credit they promised, and they are unable to provide (verbally or through email) a code that I can apply when booking. 7. Again, the worst part is the customer service provided if you are lucky enough to get a representative to answer the call because they are always busy ... "Your call may be monitor ... We're experiencing longer than normal wait times". 8. Never booking at hotels.com again! Extremely frustrated and disatisfied with how their customer service representatives treated me.

Original review: May 7, 2022

We booked a room at Seashore Motel in Santa Monica CA. It was a booking that could be canceled supposedly. We had to cancel for medical readings snd contacted hotel 3 days in advance. They told us we had to do it through Hotels.com. I talked to a woman named Anna for 15 or so minutes at Hotels.com and was assured it would be taken care of and we would not be charged. I alerted my credit card. They were informed by Hotels.com that our cancellation would not be honored.

The front desk person had assured us the toons would get rented and I’m sure they were. But now my credit card has charged me $376 and we never used the room. Both Seashore Motel and Hotels.com lied to me. We got a room with a cancellation policy so this wouldn’t happen. We do not have this money to throw away on nothing. We are seniors on Fixed incomes with health issues. I feel we have been robbed. I will never use Hotels.com again or ever go to Seashore Motel. Shame on them scamming seniors

Original review: May 6, 2022

I used hotels.com to book a hotel in Tahiti for 3 weeks. So they booked the hotel, said the reservation was guaranteed, and charged my credit card for the full 3 week stay. Twenty minutes after I booked it, the hotel said those dates weren't available. I contacted the hotel, and I got the usual response- "You'll have to take it up with hotels.com." That's the problem with major bookers like Hotels.com. They enforce non-culpability.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I have a word of warning for those attempting to book Vacation Resort International locations through Hotels.com. I have personal experience making reservations at The Cove at Yarmouth which required a non-refundable $50 up-front deposit--no big deal except that confusion erupted when the posted charge shows up from Vacation International, rather than the Cove at Yarmouth or Hotels.com. There was no mentioned of this on the confirmation email, and for me, resulted in a fraud investigation on my charge card.

Even after this problem was resolved and the deposit went through, Vacation International ended up cancelling my reservation unexpectedly three days before our planned visit for reasons directly due to the fraud situation they had created, IE they now had a cancelled credit card number. They gave me only a few hours to resolve the situation, and when I finally called them, they were unwilling to reinstate my reservation even though there were vacancies available. They also refused to reimburse me for my deposit even though they were the ones that cancelled my reservation.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I booked a hotel with a double bed and the hotel gave me a twin bed. I tried to correct it with the nice hotel receptionist but they did not have a double bed available. So I had to go somewhere else. I asked for a refund and I was refused a refund because they said that the booking is non-refundable. I called hotels.com many times and pointed out the false advertising and I was constantly met with the response that they have to ask for permission to get the refund. False advertising should not require permission for a refund. Hotels.com should be enforcing the rules to ensure their clients are not cheating customers. No support from Hotels.com.

This isn't the first time I was left out in the cold. 11pm in Toronto and the hotel I booked wasn't a hotel and refused to come give me my room. I sat in the cold and the again, Hotels.com refused to deal with the problem. I had to go get a new hotel and pay an extra taxi ride in the middle of the night. Hotels.com is not respectful and not at all responsible. They are a lawless company taking advantage of every penny they can get. Don't use Hotels.com. Book your hotels directly by phone. Use Hotels.com too as a map and bypass them to call the hotel directly and pay directly. Hotels.com is useless.

Original review: May 4, 2022

They used to be the best, now the most expensive and worst customer service you will find. No customer service to call to make a booking and rewards don't even apply currently. Agoda and Booking.com still amazing.

Original review: May 4, 2022

If you go on the Hotels.com website and search for a hotel, you will find prices, dates and descriptions as well as room details. Some hotel prices on Hotels.com include breakfast; others do not. Some indicate that there is a parking fee; others do not. Beware of deceptive omissions regarding these details. Don’t be surprised when you check in to your hotel and there are additional fees or charges that were not indicated in your Hotels.com email confirmation.

As a long time hotels.com customer who recently made three hotel bookings in a four month period and expected what the hotels.com email confirmation actually stated, I was surprised to have been informed by the hotel receptionist that I was going to have to pay extra for self parking. I assured the young man that an additional fee for parking was never mentioned in my email confirmation.

To make a long story a bit shorter, I spent several days and many emails and text messages with the hotels.com “Customer Support Team” who completely ignored my concerns, my proof and my shock that there was no “written” mention of a parking fee, which I was subjected to pay at the hotel property. As a customer, we trust what is written in the confirmation email, which is supplied by hotels.com and to which the customer agrees. Of the three hotels I booked, none mentioned a parking fee. Only one actually charged it without my prior knowledge. I was disappointed, to say the least. I would have chosen a different hotel had I known upfront. Finally, if you go on the hotels.com website and book a hotel property, beware of unknown and unexpected deceptive omissions. What is left out in the written agreement may cost you a pretty penny.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Aaqib ** agent told that I closed my account by myself, that I eventually didn't do because I had status with Hotels for years and have bunch of free nights. they can't to nothing with it and were very rude.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I booked a holiday house for a family break online. I paid the price quoted by credit card immediately. I received a booking confirmation and the next day my booking was cancelled as price I was quoted and paid was incorrect. I have not received a refund.

Original review: April 29, 2022

Back in 2020, we planned a European vacation and due to covid, we had to cancel. We have received refunds from all hotels that actually got their money from us. We have 4 hotels left that Hotels.com never refunded us for and the company has kept that money. We've called about 8 times and always hear the same thing either they'll call us back or they are working on it. This has been going on for 2 years now.

Hotels.com took the money, the actual hotel did not get it. We canceled not by choice but because of the pandemic. I can't grasp what the issue could be on their end in refunding us. We expected to be reimbursed for all hotels and they agreed to return the money due to covid. We've called about 4 times a year for the last two years and get the same excuse. We will never use their services again. Oh and don't bother trying their Facebook page all they do is respond with an automated response. I even tried private message with no response. I am going to post a negative comment on your Facebook page until resolved eternity if I have to.

Original review: April 29, 2022

It is regarding my recent booking at Sheraton Universal for April 21, 2022 night. Reservation totaled to be $363.40 which I paid this with reward night worth ($244.30) and remaining with my credit card ($119.10). Sheraton refunded the whole room cost ($363.40) on April 27, 2022. I received an email from Hotels.com that they have refunded my credit card for $119.10. Since I did not get my full portion of the refund back, I called the Hotels.com and I received very nasty service and was told "we cannot refund you the reward night". I asked them how they could keep my portion of the money when I got the full refund back, I was told that's the policy.

I looked through their reward policy, terms and conditions, nowhere it states that. Clearing either Hotels.com customer representatives don't know what they are doing or Hotels.com is scamming customers and making money from them. I requested Hotels.com to refund my reward night, yet again no response. Currently, I am so frustrated and feel deceived by Hotels.com.

Original review: April 29, 2022

1. Find a local hotel with Hotels.com that had a bathtub/jacuzzi pictured in the room next to the bed and in the description. 2. Book hotel. 3. Go to hotel and check in & get slapped with another $50 security deposit for room. 4. Walk to room only to find out it is not the room displayed on website. 5. Go to front desk and they say, "There's nothing we can do about it," that hotels.com is known for bait switch and it's not the 1st time this has occurred. Now that just makes me think that both the hotel and hotels.com is working together to scam people!

6. Then they tell me because I checked in that I can no longer get my money back! Wait....So you let me check into the wrong room knowing that I was going to complain so you could tell me you're keeping my money? How do you check to see if you have the correct room before they give you the room number? You are forced to check in and then they say because of this.... You don't get a refund!?

7. Call hotels.com and they put me on hold a total of 43 minutes hoping I would just get tired of waiting and hang up but I didn't. I told them they are scamming people and she had no clue what I was even talking about since the call center is somewhere in India (no offense to Indians, but she didn't understand what I was trying to explain). So then I canceled my other reservations through hotels.com. 8. Ended up losing $150 bucks on this experience!

Steer clear of this scam site/service because they knowingly allow these practices to happen just to cheat and lie to get money. This company should be shutdown. But I'm sure nothing will happen to this company, just like all the other scam businesses. Just call hotels directly as I'm now skeptical of using online services to book rooms anymore.

Original review: April 28, 2022

Long time user of Hotels.com. In this circumstance after logging onto my account, charges were made in USD rather than CDN. I contacted hotels.com with typical flowchart answers with their position being due to a server error I was automatically directed to the US site which then charges in USD and replying I should have checked my confirmation details more closely. My login information should not automatically direct me to alternate currencies without any indication it is doing so

Original review: April 27, 2022

I think Hotels.com should not represent hotels that are ridiculously nasty, disrespectful Employees, and that takes advantage of people from out of town. We’ve been fighting to get as refund back from a night we haven’t even stayed at. It was so much unsatisfactory and unsafe things happening there. Prostitution, etc even the cops were there. We told Hotels.com about the problems and was out all night looking for another place to lay our heads our poor baby was stressed as well. Hotels.com has a policy about pay now or choose to pay at hotel.

We ended up paying when we arrived, because we were going to pay with cash. These people lied and told us they understand and took our money actually charged us about $368 dollars. The fact the hotels.com saying they can’t get a refund back cause we paid later is ridiculous especially due to what happen I can understand other scenarios but this wasn’t fair. With everything going on in war these companies nowadays care about themselves. Never using them again because they still advertise Quality Inn and they shouldn’t.

Original review: April 26, 2022

Since Hotels.com was acquired it drives home the point that bigger is not always better. I used to be able to talk to a human at Hotels.com when I called customer service. I loved Hotels.com in the past. Recently I tried to get into my account. Not only can I not get into my account but they don't have an option on their automated "help-line" to remedy the problem. Automation is one thing but at least make it efficient. After three calls failing to provide an option to provide customer service, I give up!

Original review: April 24, 2022

I booked a reservation with Hotels.com. The price was $305 total. When I checked in the cost was $426. I reached out to Hotels.com, and was told in essence too bad work it out with the property. I asked why? I was told, "We don't have control over what the property charges."

Original review: April 20, 2022

Issue started on Monday. I have been trying to speak with a manager since then! The first C/S rep I spoke to took my information about the glitch in price on the system and stated I would get a call back. I waited 24 hours and did not receive a call back. C/S rep #2 said there were no notes on my profile but she can see the email that I sent. There was no way to look up who I previously spoke to and who dropped the ball on my issue. She then basically went on to tell me how it was my fault and when I asked to speak to a manager she told me they would tell me the same thing.

After requesting a manager yet again, she took my callback number and said I would a call back in 2-3 hours. 5 hours later, no call so I call back and do the process again. C/S rep #3 hangs up the phone on me. Call back C/S rep #4 goes through same spill, takes my number and says wait for callback 2-3 hours. I've been trying to book a hotel since Monday and of course rates have fluctuated and hotels have booked up because now its Wednesday. I just can not believe a company in which I frequently spend my money won't even have the decency to reach out to me as a consumer. So disappointed. Canceling my future trips with them.

Original review: April 19, 2022

My wife and I have been using Hotels.com for a few years now. At first, like everywhere else, they treat you well to keep you coming back. However, when a problem arises, don't expect much help! They aren't customer service oriented, they only care about polices and teaming up with the merchant!! What happened to the good old days when companies would honor their customers and accommodate them?! Those days are gone unfortunately! May only be a few companies left who value the customer. I guess we will stick with stick with our VIP membership at Priceline! Should have known better to deal with a second rate company....

Original review: April 17, 2022

I have been a top tier customer of Hotels.com for many years. 2 weeks ago I booked 4 nights and paid upfront. Upon arrival the hotel had no rooms. I have requested a refund with no joy despite multiple contacts. It is astounding how bad they are treating a loyal customer. Be careful of using low cost providers as the service is below par

Hotels.com Company Information