3.2/5 (750 ratings)

About Hotels.com

Hotels.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Good reviews are fake, this place is filthy!! Gross clientele hanging around. Trash and dirt everywhere, inside and out. I don’t know how anyone could rate this a good hotel. It is filthy inside and out, skipped breakfast just for that reason. All hallways are dirty and need vacuuming. Trash and duct tape in lobby for our entire visit. Hair in bathtub, pee droplets in front of toilet, beds were old and not pillow tops as advertised, trash on end tables, cigarette burns on curtains, lamp shades stained with what looks like blood, people living in motor homes behind property and smells of cigarettes and Fabuloso. At $240 a night you would think they could hire a few more staff members to help clean and fix property. Just awful!!

Hello Mr. **, Could you please follow up with Hotels.com and your manager at the location? I was told by Hotels.com that they were sorry for the issues with the hotel and would need to speak to the manager to okay a refund. I was told it would be no later than four days to accomplish this, that was on the 25th of August. Below is the conversation with Hotels.com. I will also forward you my original complaint. This sure seems like "speak to them" no please "speak to them". My family travels a lot and has only requested a refund one other time. I hope this will be enough to handle the situation and I can stop wasting both of our time. Thank you,

They have given me the run around for 2 weeks, saying it's Wyndham that needs to verify, and Hotels.com needs to give refund. Neither will answer. Hotels.com website is a joke if you want to talk to a real human. They say to put in email and confirmation number to get refund and then the automated system says it can't find it. What a joke.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

I booked a room in Holiday Inn Express Webster Rochester for 3 people through Hotels.com and paid $350 CAD and the time we arrived there, surprisingly I was told that the room was sold out. I contacted hotels.com, after 2 hours on the phone they relocated us in a dirty room with only one bed and no breakfast. I asked for refund, once they agreed to refund $150 but next time they said no refund at all. I never go back to book through hotels.com

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

I used Hotels.com for over twenty nights reservations for which I received and used one night award. Then things got weird. They try hard to keep you from using your awards making the incentive worthless after you get the ten nights in! Ex: make a reservation after accumulating 10 nights, then look for that free night. No way, unless you select a button, redeem award, when you start to reserve! So missing that small box, no way to go back after you realize. Obviously, they don’t want you use the free night, or they would have an opt out box if you do not want to use the award, instead of opt in! Called, no way to fix. Now, even worse, when reserving and you can choose pre pay all or pay at hotel. Pay more if now. Then if you choose to pay later, i.e. in case you need to cancel, YOU LOSE THE RIGHT TO USE YOUR FREE NIGHT on that reservation! My award was to encourage me to use their site and now they take it away unless I pay in advance.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

On 18 August 2022 I made a booking for accommodation in Plettenberg Bay through Hotels.com. The name of the venue is not disclosed by me for privacy reasons. Hotels.com required full payment upfront in the amount of R 20 000-00 (which was paid by my husband) and stated that there was a no refunds policy. I then received a booking confirmation from Hotels.com stating that my booking was guaranteed. After this, I did some investigation into the property and saw a review where the accommodation had been “double booked” and that when the people arrived there on the day the owner of the accommodation was of no assistance and told them to speak to the company who they booked through as this was the entity who was liable.

This immediately raised my suspicion and I made contact with Hotels.com and asked them to confirm the booking in writing from the owner otherwise we wanted to cancel. On 20 August 2022 I received an e-mail from Hotels.com stating that they could not get a hold of the owner and because of this they could not arrange the cancellation and/or refund as there was a no refunds policy. This lead to further investigation by me. I managed to track down the owner of the property through Facebook and was advise by him that the property is no longer being hired out for holiday accommodation and that he told Hotels.com to remove the listing on three separate occasions.

This was brought to the attention of Hotels.com on Monday, 22 August 2022, by my husband who required that they either provide us with the requested confirmation in writing (which is impossible) or a refund by close of business Wednesday, 24 August 2022. We also gave Hotels.com the contact details of the owner as they had previously stated that they could not get ahold of him. Our e-mail was responded to by Hotels.com where they advised that we would be contacted within 48 hours.

Both these timelines have come and gone and we have not been contacted by Hotels.com nor have we been refunded the payment made. I accept that there is a no refunds policy but surely this cannot apply where there is no accommodation booked in the first place! We are taking appropriate steps against Hotels.com but warn all persons against using them in the future.”

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

Horrible experience. Booked through Hotels.com when we arrived at the hotel it looked nothing like the pictures. Horrible smell to the hotel, the room door had been broken into. It appeared the hotel was used as a ** lab. The hotel clerk allowed us to cancel and refunded the full fee back to hotels.com. Now I have been trying to get hotels.com come to refund us and have had no luck, the Consumer call center is horrible. They put you on hold. Transfer you around and continue to say they are not allowed to refund. I have been working on this for 2 weeks and have spent hours on hold. In the process I also found out that hotels.com actually charges more than booking directly with the hotel. Horrible company!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

Most 2 star hotels I was barred as a guest because I gave food to elderly living in hotels under their social security checks..fraud. Three star hotels gave managers that lie to police like Best Western in Baytown. If they pull cameras they will see the lies. Woodspring managers believe rumors from fireman that never entered my room while EMTs worked with my heart patient husband while I was disabled and hadn't walked in a week and was not get the nurse care for my legs because of a rumor and Hotels.com still billed me and set me up in another hotel that caused trauma and Hell and medical and legal problems while I am a disabled minister volunteering with the homeless.

A lot of paid reservations weren't honored because hotels were booked up. I expect full refund from all stays from March until August 15th. All hotels tell me hotels.com is a 3rd party booking scam. And most times they overcharge more than hotel's natural rates. I made a video about the hotel on Maxey Road in Houston and put it on YouTube. Some hotels have cockroaches in which they call water bugs. Most breakfasts offers are jokes and hotels that don't take pets do not clean carpets regularly. Customer service stinks and are rude and resolve nothing! Refunds doesn't always come. Got to get banks involved.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Not recommended. High price. When you speak with customer service they ended calls and not call you back. Very disappointment. The price is more than other website. When you need them they will not help you.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

I made a hotel reservation (after using Hotels.com many times previously) for a Luxury Hotel in Rome. I paid for the room in full at that time. One month prior to my vacation in Italy I learned my sister had aggressive cancer so I cancelled my trip. Hotels.com would not refund all or part of my expense nor did they offer me any type of refund. I will never book through the site again and suggest that all travelers book with a different company or directly with their hotel, which would have refunded or offered me another time to use the hotel. (I called the Hotel in Italy).

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

We booked Hotel Firenze Select Executive in Florence, Italy, through Hotels.com. When we went there, all the windows were closed, & no one answered the door. This is a scam! The telephone number listed is also not contactable! Neighbours say this hotel has been closed for a long time. Watch out! Hotels.com still has this hotel on their website and takes bookings for it! I informed them, but they have still not taken it down, neither have they put my review of the hotel! Neighbours told us to report the hotel to the police, as they are scamming people. This experience ruined our time in Florence! We are still waiting for hotels.com to refund the money! This happened to us last month (July 2022). We are very disappointed with hotels.com.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

I tried booking a room for the weekend on their website. They charged my card 5 times for $200 and I never received a confirmation number. So, I call customer service. They are absolutely no help. They ask for my email and phone number and end up telling me I don’t have a reservation since I did not receive a confirmation. Yet they still took ALL of my money. Asked to speak to a manager and was told I would get a phone call back, but couldn’t even get a time frame of when that would be. So, now I have no reservation and no more money to even book the hotel on the actual site. This is my first time using Hotels.com and it WILL be my last.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

Terrible online reservation modification - illness precluded travel but never got through to Hotels.com- had to eat the entire fee- next time will book with the property- they understand customer service!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

First off if I could rate less then one star I would! Hotels.com is running some sort of Scheme where you book via there website, but on the back end they actually book your reservation via Expedia.com. Issue 1# as the custmer we were never notified of this! All confirmed emails came from Hotels.com Not Expedia. Issue 2# Hotels.com and Expedia are not showing the same reservation info. My wife and I recently canceled a reservation three weeks before our check in date. Hotels.com confirmed this cancelation via email, but the Holiday Inn Express In Auburn Alabama Still charged us the entire amount.

We have called the Holiday Inn and tried to get assistance, but they are not willing to reverse charges as they are saying we booked via Expedia and NOT Hotels.com, furthermore we are being told our reservation was during blackout dates and we were outside of the cancelation window and the Cancelation email was wrong, we did not have free cancelation as our Hotels.com email stated.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I booked a hotel with Hotels.com. The event we were attending got canceled. When I booked I did so with free cancellation. When I went to cancel on Tuesday for a reservation on Friday, they said they would charge me for one night because I was past the cancellation window which was different than when I booked. I tried to work with an agent through chat to change this but they did nothing. Do not book through this company. I also got burned during COVID when I had to cancel. Company does not stand behind their policies.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

My mother was in the hospital an hour and a half from where I live. I wanted to stay close by, so I found an affordable place to stay on Hotels.com. But after I made the reservation, I learned that there was an additional $200 deposit required. I didn't have that much, so the hotel wouldn't give me the room. Hotels.com agreed to a refund, but only after 7-10 days, and I was left with nothing for that night. I didn't have enough to get another hotel room and had to drive the hour and a half back home.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

Hotels.com messed up a trip I took last May and it just tried to mess up another that I had booked for September. Last trip, they arbitrarily cancelled my booking, and didn’t tell me that the hotel I had booked had become a HOMELESS SHELTER. They did this day-of arrival. In the instance of the first trip, and trying to fix that - I was on the phone with them for 2 hours.

On my upcoming trip, they arbitrarily ADDED an additional booking (so now I had TWO different bookings for the same date)… and also additional rooms to the actual booking I had MADE... So I had TWO rooms at the property I was going to stay at, for a total of FOUR beds… AND, I would have been on the hook for an extra $400 on check-in day, PLUS the payment for the OTHER BOOKING, which was about $250… Over $650 what I was going to pay for the one room I had actually booked.

If I hadn’t called the hotel I was going to stay at directly, I would have been in hot water… Multiple calls to customer service resulted in them literally gaslighting me to believe that I had made these changes when I absolutely hadn’t. When I emailed corporate HQ to complain and still got the same stock answers that I was getting everywhere else, I asked for an escalation. They said "this is the escalation" and told me goodbye with a canned response. So I have literally no way to complain further up, so I am trying every single avenue I can to inform hotels.com that their service is atrocious. This is absolutely unfair to consumers.

Therefore I will make no more bookings with Hotels.com. I’m just going to book at the hotel, as honestly the rate is likely to be the same, or LOWER than what they advertise. Their muffled, cutting-in-and-out foreign call center, with people who literally spoke in broken English, and the automated email responses are the absolute WORST customer service I've ever experienced, and nobody has said one single word to try to make any of this right or acknowledge that it even happened.

Original review: July 31, 2022

Looked at hotel in Beaverton. The hotel had a pretty good rating. Showed up 2 police arresting someone. Dogs loose trash everywhere. I didn't get out of my vehicle. I contacted Hotels.com immediately. Nothing. They did nothing. I was charged for a hotel I didn't and wouldn't stay at. Due to the hotel being filthy and dangerous. Won't ever use hotels.com.

Original review: July 29, 2022

I have been a huge fan of Hotels.com for years. In the past I have had no issues with customer service. However, recently I had a very important reservation at a large event with very limited availability. I needed to make a small change to my reservation. While explaining the change, the customer service representative interrupted me multiple times to read their policy and ultimately made incorrect changes cancelling multiple days of my stay. In a panic, I reserved a stay through Agoda.com. I have since been trying to get a refund. I have asked them to review the recordings of our call because the notes the representative took are incorrect. I have been put on hold for over an hour, disconnected on 2 occasions, and spoken with multiple representatives and the issue has still not been resolved.

Original review: July 25, 2022

I booked a hotel through Hotels.com at Dewey beach hotel for a month from now. Five minutes after booking I decided to switch hotels. The site said free cancellations till August 6. It wasn’t even five minutes passed when I canceled and they charged me $21.60. All efforts through Hotels.com support have been fruitless. DO NOT USE THIS SITE.

Original review: July 19, 2022

Booked a pre-paid room at Red Roof Inn, Champaign IL, thru Hotels.com 6/20/22 and received email confirmations both at time and 4 days before arrival. Red Roof claimed when I tried to sign in 7/16/22 that they did not have a record of it and that THIS WAS NOT UNCOMMON with 3rd party bookings like those from Hotels.com. Confirmations are meaningless unless they come directly from the hotel. Do not trust Hotels.com. Don't let them ruin your trip.

Original review: July 19, 2022

I booked a reservation on Hotels.com for my employee, used my credit card to pay. The hotel then contacts me to say they won't take that credit card 'over the phone' (I put all the information in online!) but would instead charge my employee when he arrived. Then Ryan at the hotel recommended that I cancel the reservation and rebook as a 'prepay.' I contact hotels.com to cancel and get a message from an online agent that we can't cancel, the reservation is non-refundable. Then they contact the hotel and waive the fee.

I rebook and this time notice that the stated "Payment Schedule" states that my card would be charged "$215 after booking and $0.00 was to be collected at property" (and took screenshots). Ryan from the hotel calls me again and states "you must have done something wrong because it came through the same way as before. You need to use a different website." This, after instructing me the first time to cancel and rebook. I will be sure to also contact the hotel administration regarding this employee's advice, but hotels.com is worthless and I will never use them again and will be sure to broadcast on social media and other review sites how their website lied when I made my reservation.

Original review: July 19, 2022

I brought a concern to the customer service line about a technical issue I was having with my account. I expected a quick and easy resolution to this relatively small issue. Josue said that there was nothing they would ever do to fix my issue, even if they ever got around to fixing the underlying software problem. "It’s just the way it is". I know that isn’t true. It should have been a quick and easy fix, with zero cost to them and a huge relief to me, so I don’t understand why their representative didn’t even feign interest in fixing this systemic issue or addressing my concern. They clearly don’t care about me as a customer even after using their services for years and spending thousands of dollars. No more - I don’t trust Hotels.com AT ALL anymore and will never use their services again after this experience and demonstration of their internal company policies.

Original review: July 17, 2022

I booked a hotel room on Hotels.com for a friend who had to take her son to the hospital for an emergency. Then I went to Google to get her directions and the exact same hotel and room was posted on $30 less on Hotels.com. I contacted them and because the booking was for the same day they would not honor the price match guarantee. I have had an account with them for years, will never use them again.

Original review: July 16, 2022

I booked a recent stay through Hotels.com, and an agent changed my room type 4 days prior to my check-in. I was told by the agent that there would be no fee or charge for the change. When I arrived to check-in, there were 2 rooms booked in my name. Clearly the agent messed added a booking instead of changing my booking. The hotel refused to acknowledge the mistake and charged me 1 night for the cancelled room. I have been on the phone multiple times with hotels.com, who has contacted the hotel, but to no avail. The hotel refuses to refund me for the 1 night. So I am left paying for the mistake of the agent.

Original review: July 16, 2022

I have been using Hotels.com for over a year and it's complete garbage. If you need to change anything on your reservation then you are screwed. The information on the app is inaccurate too. DON'T USE.

Original review: July 15, 2022

Hotels.com used to have good U.S.-based phone support. Apparently, that has been discontinued. No phone number is shown on the website. Support on the website is only by a chatbot, which will not let answer unless you enter specific info about a reservation. There is no way to ask questions about an account or their rewards program. A support phone number can be found by a Google search, but it also demands that you enter specific reservation information. After getting through, it connects to an offshore call center. I can no longer trust this company.

Original review: July 15, 2022

I called Hotels.com because the system was not allowing me to post a review to a property I had stayed at. Customers Service told me to just go to the property's website and post a review direct to their website. I told them that I had already done that but I also wanted to post it on their website so that people can see it when booking through hotels.com. They then told me to try back and see if the review site was back up. I have been trying now for a week and a half and the system is still not letting me post a review. I feel like Hotels.com is not allowing reviews to the properties so that people can book.

This was my experience at: Holiday Inn Express Bartlesville Oklahoma. When I checked in they check me in and gave me a room in the 3rd floor. When I went in the room it smelled musty, like mildew or smoke. I went to the front desk to ask for some room deodorizer and the clerk right away offered to move me to the 2nd floor. I moved to the 2nd floor. I was not there more than 30 minutes when I heard a banging on my door and before I could get out of bed to see who it was someone was already entering my room, good thing I had the safety lock on or he would have came in my room. I then looked out the peek hole to see who it was and I saw a man going down the hallway walking around. I called the front desk to ask who was trying to go in my room and the clerk asked someone next to her if he was trying to go in my room and he said yes, that there was a leak in the pool on the first floor and he wanted to see if it was leaking in my bathroom.

She apologized and laughed about it. I didn't know how to take that someone was going in guest rooms without the front desk knowing about it, I could have been in the shower or changing and if it wasn't for the secure lock this man would have been in my room. Very scaring for a woman to have to experience this. When I checked out I was expressing my concerns to the front desk clerk which was a different lady than when I check in. She did not seem to be too concern about my claims, she kept walking away from me working on other stuff while I was talking to her.

The only thing she told me was that she would talk to the maintenance man and the manager. I feel that the front desk responsibility should be when rooms are occupied to make sure the guest are aware when someone is going in their room, to make several attempts to notify them before entering. This leaves me very upset and scared that this hotel does not care for their guest safety. Always, Always keep your doors secured. Not staying here again.

Original review: July 14, 2022

When my on-line reservation would not work, I attempted to book through an agent in a chat. It took several attempts for him to understand that I needed two separate rooms in a certain city. I finally received two confirmations and thought all was well. When we arrived at our destination, we were told we had no reservations. Apparently, the reservations were at the correct city but the wrong State. We ended up paying over $110. more for our rooms than we should have. When I got home, I contacted Hotels.com and was told they were sorry for the error, but they had no responsibility for the amount we lost. They could do nothing to recoup our losses. Will never use Hotel.com again.

Original review: July 7, 2022

Unfortunately, there is no option to give this fly-by-night outfit ZERO stars for their complete and abject FAILURE to respond to or support the members they claim they value (including this Gold-level one). They offshore their "customer service" function so that NO ONE at their US corporate office in Dallas, TX is reachable (or accountable). And the agents are full of runaround doubletalk to delay, obfuscate, and frustrate their customers when the inevitable problems occur with reservations.

In this case, the establishment refused check-in, but instead of issuing a refund and reinstating the full value of the reward program night used to defray the cost, they have failed to resolve the situation or respond to multiple emails and other communications. And - to top it all off - they have now denied me access to review this establishment as well as some of the other overpriced dumps I stayed at on my recent trip. And my credit card issuer, with whom I disputed the charge, is STILL waiting on them in order to close the case. Their entire process and procedures smacks of unfair business practices, so it is time to take consumer legal action against them. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THESE **!!!

Original review: July 7, 2022

I booked two rooms each for 7 nights for our family vacation through Hotels.com for the Hotel Riu Palace in Guanacaste Costa Rica. Three days prior to our trip, and 1 day past the cancelation deadline, my wife and I tested positive for Covid and so we had to cancel our family vacation. We notified Hotels.com and requested a refund or even partial credit expecting quite honestly that we perhaps would be penalized for one night for each of the rooms. NOPE! They REFUSED to issue ANY credit and kept our entire $5100 dollars and claim that the Hotel Riu (a supposed 5 Star resort) is refusing to approve a waiver of the cancellation fees.

I have spoken with at least 10 different Hotels.com reps (all based in the Philippines) who don't give a damn about refunding our money or even making things right! They each just keep saying that it is Hotel Riu's fault. Finally, Hotels.com asked us to provide proof that we tested positive so that they could refund us all but the first night's stay which we quickly did but they still claimed that the Hotel Riu would not issue a refund and then they asked us to call the Hotel Riu directly.

Hotel Riu, who again claims to be a 5 Star resort, had probably worse customer service. It took at least a dozen tries to connect with the hotel directly and then when we informed them that we booked through a 3rd party they quickly hung up or put us on hour long hold times before disconnecting us. After dealing with this for nearly two weeks I finally got someone from Hotel Riu to tell me that when booking direct that their policy is different and more accomodating but because I booked with Hotels.com that their rules applied. SERIOUSLY??? What a bunch of crooks and scammers!! This is wrong and ridiculous and not only will I never use Hotels.com again but neither Hotel Riu as well. If I could remove stars or give negative stars I would. This is the most God awful service and support I have ever received and I normally book through Hotel.com on a weekly basis due to travel for work! Never again!

My prayer is that senior leadership from both Hotels.com and Hotel Riu read this or hear about this and do something about it but I know they won't because why would they... Large corporations no longer care about customer service and simply about profits and stock prices.

Original review: July 5, 2022

I booked an accommodation for 5 nights, but due to flight availabilities, could only do 4 nights. I contacted the accommodation directly and they told me I have to contact Hotels.com so I did. They confirmed to me via email that they will refund 1 night's accommodation once the reservation is complete. I contacted them a week after the reservation was complete and they said refund is not possible....

Hotels.com Company Information