3.3/5 (748 ratings)

About Hotels.com

Hotels.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: May 5, 2022

I booked a hotel with a double bed and the hotel gave me a twin bed. I tried to correct it with the nice hotel receptionist but they did not have a double bed available. So I had to go somewhere else. I asked for a refund and I was refused a refund because they said that the booking is non-refundable. I called hotels.com many times and pointed out the false advertising and I was constantly met with the response that they have to ask for permission to get the refund. False advertising should not require permission for a refund. Hotels.com should be enforcing the rules to ensure their clients are not cheating customers. No support from Hotels.com.

This isn't the first time I was left out in the cold. 11pm in Toronto and the hotel I booked wasn't a hotel and refused to come give me my room. I sat in the cold and the again, Hotels.com refused to deal with the problem. I had to go get a new hotel and pay an extra taxi ride in the middle of the night. Hotels.com is not respectful and not at all responsible. They are a lawless company taking advantage of every penny they can get. Don't use Hotels.com. Book your hotels directly by phone. Use Hotels.com too as a map and bypass them to call the hotel directly and pay directly. Hotels.com is useless.

Original review: May 4, 2022

They used to be the best, now the most expensive and worst customer service you will find. No customer service to call to make a booking and rewards don't even apply currently. Agoda and Booking.com still amazing.

Original review: May 4, 2022

If you go on the Hotels.com website and search for a hotel, you will find prices, dates and descriptions as well as room details. Some hotel prices on Hotels.com include breakfast; others do not. Some indicate that there is a parking fee; others do not. Beware of deceptive omissions regarding these details. Don’t be surprised when you check in to your hotel and there are additional fees or charges that were not indicated in your Hotels.com email confirmation.

As a long time hotels.com customer who recently made three hotel bookings in a four month period and expected what the hotels.com email confirmation actually stated, I was surprised to have been informed by the hotel receptionist that I was going to have to pay extra for self parking. I assured the young man that an additional fee for parking was never mentioned in my email confirmation.

To make a long story a bit shorter, I spent several days and many emails and text messages with the hotels.com “Customer Support Team” who completely ignored my concerns, my proof and my shock that there was no “written” mention of a parking fee, which I was subjected to pay at the hotel property. As a customer, we trust what is written in the confirmation email, which is supplied by hotels.com and to which the customer agrees. Of the three hotels I booked, none mentioned a parking fee. Only one actually charged it without my prior knowledge. I was disappointed, to say the least. I would have chosen a different hotel had I known upfront. Finally, if you go on the hotels.com website and book a hotel property, beware of unknown and unexpected deceptive omissions. What is left out in the written agreement may cost you a pretty penny.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Aaqib ** agent told that I closed my account by myself, that I eventually didn't do because I had status with Hotels for years and have bunch of free nights. they can't to nothing with it and were very rude.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I booked a holiday house for a family break online. I paid the price quoted by credit card immediately. I received a booking confirmation and the next day my booking was cancelled as price I was quoted and paid was incorrect. I have not received a refund.

Original review: April 29, 2022

Back in 2020, we planned a European vacation and due to covid, we had to cancel. We have received refunds from all hotels that actually got their money from us. We have 4 hotels left that Hotels.com never refunded us for and the company has kept that money. We've called about 8 times and always hear the same thing either they'll call us back or they are working on it. This has been going on for 2 years now.

Hotels.com took the money, the actual hotel did not get it. We canceled not by choice but because of the pandemic. I can't grasp what the issue could be on their end in refunding us. We expected to be reimbursed for all hotels and they agreed to return the money due to covid. We've called about 4 times a year for the last two years and get the same excuse. We will never use their services again. Oh and don't bother trying their Facebook page all they do is respond with an automated response. I even tried private message with no response. I am going to post a negative comment on your Facebook page until resolved eternity if I have to.

Original review: April 29, 2022

It is regarding my recent booking at Sheraton Universal for April 21, 2022 night. Reservation totaled to be $363.40 which I paid this with reward night worth ($244.30) and remaining with my credit card ($119.10). Sheraton refunded the whole room cost ($363.40) on April 27, 2022. I received an email from Hotels.com that they have refunded my credit card for $119.10. Since I did not get my full portion of the refund back, I called the Hotels.com and I received very nasty service and was told "we cannot refund you the reward night". I asked them how they could keep my portion of the money when I got the full refund back, I was told that's the policy.

I looked through their reward policy, terms and conditions, nowhere it states that. Clearing either Hotels.com customer representatives don't know what they are doing or Hotels.com is scamming customers and making money from them. I requested Hotels.com to refund my reward night, yet again no response. Currently, I am so frustrated and feel deceived by Hotels.com.

Original review: April 29, 2022

1. Find a local hotel with Hotels.com that had a bathtub/jacuzzi pictured in the room next to the bed and in the description. 2. Book hotel. 3. Go to hotel and check in & get slapped with another $50 security deposit for room. 4. Walk to room only to find out it is not the room displayed on website. 5. Go to front desk and they say, "There's nothing we can do about it," that hotels.com is known for bait switch and it's not the 1st time this has occurred. Now that just makes me think that both the hotel and hotels.com is working together to scam people!

6. Then they tell me because I checked in that I can no longer get my money back! Wait....So you let me check into the wrong room knowing that I was going to complain so you could tell me you're keeping my money? How do you check to see if you have the correct room before they give you the room number? You are forced to check in and then they say because of this.... You don't get a refund!?

7. Call hotels.com and they put me on hold a total of 43 minutes hoping I would just get tired of waiting and hang up but I didn't. I told them they are scamming people and she had no clue what I was even talking about since the call center is somewhere in India (no offense to Indians, but she didn't understand what I was trying to explain). So then I canceled my other reservations through hotels.com. 8. Ended up losing $150 bucks on this experience!

Steer clear of this scam site/service because they knowingly allow these practices to happen just to cheat and lie to get money. This company should be shutdown. But I'm sure nothing will happen to this company, just like all the other scam businesses. Just call hotels directly as I'm now skeptical of using online services to book rooms anymore.

Original review: April 28, 2022

Long time user of Hotels.com. In this circumstance after logging onto my account, charges were made in USD rather than CDN. I contacted hotels.com with typical flowchart answers with their position being due to a server error I was automatically directed to the US site which then charges in USD and replying I should have checked my confirmation details more closely. My login information should not automatically direct me to alternate currencies without any indication it is doing so

Original review: April 27, 2022

I think Hotels.com should not represent hotels that are ridiculously nasty, disrespectful Employees, and that takes advantage of people from out of town. We’ve been fighting to get as refund back from a night we haven’t even stayed at. It was so much unsatisfactory and unsafe things happening there. Prostitution, etc even the cops were there. We told Hotels.com about the problems and was out all night looking for another place to lay our heads our poor baby was stressed as well. Hotels.com has a policy about pay now or choose to pay at hotel.

We ended up paying when we arrived, because we were going to pay with cash. These people lied and told us they understand and took our money actually charged us about $368 dollars. The fact the hotels.com saying they can’t get a refund back cause we paid later is ridiculous especially due to what happen I can understand other scenarios but this wasn’t fair. With everything going on in war these companies nowadays care about themselves. Never using them again because they still advertise Quality Inn and they shouldn’t.

Original review: April 26, 2022

Since Hotels.com was acquired it drives home the point that bigger is not always better. I used to be able to talk to a human at Hotels.com when I called customer service. I loved Hotels.com in the past. Recently I tried to get into my account. Not only can I not get into my account but they don't have an option on their automated "help-line" to remedy the problem. Automation is one thing but at least make it efficient. After three calls failing to provide an option to provide customer service, I give up!

Original review: April 24, 2022

I booked a reservation with Hotels.com. The price was $305 total. When I checked in the cost was $426. I reached out to Hotels.com, and was told in essence too bad work it out with the property. I asked why? I was told, "We don't have control over what the property charges."

Original review: April 20, 2022

Issue started on Monday. I have been trying to speak with a manager since then! The first C/S rep I spoke to took my information about the glitch in price on the system and stated I would get a call back. I waited 24 hours and did not receive a call back. C/S rep #2 said there were no notes on my profile but she can see the email that I sent. There was no way to look up who I previously spoke to and who dropped the ball on my issue. She then basically went on to tell me how it was my fault and when I asked to speak to a manager she told me they would tell me the same thing.

After requesting a manager yet again, she took my callback number and said I would a call back in 2-3 hours. 5 hours later, no call so I call back and do the process again. C/S rep #3 hangs up the phone on me. Call back C/S rep #4 goes through same spill, takes my number and says wait for callback 2-3 hours. I've been trying to book a hotel since Monday and of course rates have fluctuated and hotels have booked up because now its Wednesday. I just can not believe a company in which I frequently spend my money won't even have the decency to reach out to me as a consumer. So disappointed. Canceling my future trips with them.

Original review: April 19, 2022

My wife and I have been using Hotels.com for a few years now. At first, like everywhere else, they treat you well to keep you coming back. However, when a problem arises, don't expect much help! They aren't customer service oriented, they only care about polices and teaming up with the merchant!! What happened to the good old days when companies would honor their customers and accommodate them?! Those days are gone unfortunately! May only be a few companies left who value the customer. I guess we will stick with stick with our VIP membership at Priceline! Should have known better to deal with a second rate company....

Original review: April 17, 2022

I have been a top tier customer of Hotels.com for many years. 2 weeks ago I booked 4 nights and paid upfront. Upon arrival the hotel had no rooms. I have requested a refund with no joy despite multiple contacts. It is astounding how bad they are treating a loyal customer. Be careful of using low cost providers as the service is below par

Original review: April 12, 2022

Hello. I hope this will help someone who is considering using a Hotels.com gift card. There is a great chance there will be a problem and once there is, you will have no way to directly contact customer support, the only way is to email and it takes about 4 days to receive a generic response telling you to include everything you will already have done. I tried to book a trip 2 weeks before leaving and spent two weeks along with my bank who issued the gift card trying to get support for a non working card. We were never able to get a hold and I left for vacation because my bank said they were in contact and would get it resolved by the time I check out 5 days later. Well upon checkout it was never resolved and when my bank card was charged the $400.00 that was supposed to be on the gift card, I was left with $36.00 cash and 4 hours out of town with no gas and another 12 days to payday.

This still has not been resolved after over 3 weeks and is now being reviewed by my bank who are not happy about providing me with a gift card for 5 years of service and it not working. All I wanted to do was go on a small paid vacation that was offered to me for being loyal that turned into 3 weeks of tech support, bank support, email support, the actual hotel that I was staying at also had a lot of time and employees invested into the problem and none of them are able to do anything as they all have the same response, “we cannot get a hold of anybody to talk to about the gift cards, which is really frustrating as there is a 24 hour 7 day a week customer support to take your money and book rooms but not help with any issues. Save yourself a huge hassle and a great possibility of losing the gift card money.

Original review: April 8, 2022

They rented me a room at the Happy Inn which did not have a permit to operate and was shut down by the city of Eloy. I complained to them and they refused to do anything about it stating that the hotel said I used up my reservation. Even though I sent them pictures and complained before my reservation was up.

Original review: April 8, 2022

We booked through Hotels.com online. It stated pet friendly with deposit. We booked & called to confirm. After driving our family of 7 11 hours they would not let us stay due to our dog & will not refund our money. Extremely disappointed.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I paid in full through Hotels.com for 2 nights in Philadelphia. Due to an unexpected ice storm, I had to cancel the trip. Despite insurance, confirmation by them, over a month has gone without my refund.

Original review: April 3, 2022

Hotels.com is a scam. I requested to book an accommodation and purchased $16 trip insurance. The booking was refused by the property - no booking was ever made - and Hotels.com told me they would issue a full refund. But they didn't - they kept $16 for the trip insurance. By the time the refund hit my account - in two separate amounts - and I calculated that it was not for the full amount, hotels.com told me the time to request a refund on the insurance had expired and there was nothing they could do. Lost $16 for trip insurance for a trip that was never booked due to refusal by the hotels.com property partner. Never again will I do business with this dishonest, predatory website.

Original review: March 31, 2022

When asked to cancel a reservation due to COVID I was told they were non refundable. I will not use Hotel.com in the future. I do not recommend the usage of this website to book any hotel because if you need to cancel you will lose your money.

Original review: March 29, 2022

My son booked a hotel from Hotels.com and bought the insurance as well in case anything went wrong. He paid $440.78 to stay at Peppertree by the Sea by Capital Vacations for Spring Break on March 7th. He purchased it just four hours before he arrived. There was nowhere on the Hotels.com site (not even the fine print) that stated an age restriction - because we looked for it. When he arrived, he was refused as a 21 year old to stay at the hotel. Even though he bought the insurance, he was also refused a refund saying they should have known the age restriction. Why would my son pay extra for insurance, if you refuse to refund him?

I called the hotel and thought it had to be a misunderstanding because who has ever heard of such a scam?!?!? I still can't get over it and don't understand how they can get away with this scam!! I feel they should be sued. I am angry with Hotels.com for letting hotels like this scam people and do nothing to help refund them out of the money that was stolen from them.

Original review: March 28, 2022

I am on hold for the last 26 minutes. When I called the robot told me call would be answered in 2 minutes. The customer service lady was awesome, so I give it 3 stars. But the wait time should not be this long when you are traveling and have to solve problems on the spot.

Original review: March 22, 2022

I booked two weeks at a hotel on Hotels.com website booking reference # **. Tropicana Inn. I did this several weeks ago. The hotel took full payment on my credit card weeks in advance which was unusual. After repeatedly trying to contact the hotel direct to make inquiries I notified Hotels.com by phone. They were to get back to me but didn't. My son who is a contractor happens to be in San Jose and went by the hotel to check on it, and it is boarded up with nothing inside. It looks abandoned. I have pictures to prove it. I tried to get a Hotels.com supervisor on the line, spending hours in the process and on their chat line. They refused to get me a supervisor, only gave me a general public 800 number which resulted in another go round of no help.

Hotels.com has no accountability, has a hotel committing fraud on their website and couldn't care less about helping me out. I was able to cancel my reservation with refund but that doesn't help me, I will have to cancel my entire trip now. I am unable to get a hotel in this area for anywhere near this price and this company couldn't care less.

Original review: March 22, 2022

Hotels.com works great if you need to book and want to pay later, but the perks stop there. I needed to cancel one night of a 2 night reservation that I had made months in advance. They failed to inform me that they'd be canceling my entire reservation and rebooking the 1 night at almost $200 more than the night of the original reservation! After multiple phone calls and chats, they have refused to even let me talk to a manager because "they wouldn't be able to help me anyways," I'm thinking a "manager" doesn't even exist. Will most likely be canceling everything at this point and just work with the hotel directly, no matter the cost.

Original review: March 21, 2022

I made a reservation thru Hotels.com. I wanted to cancel this reservation and re-book it using a coupon that Hotels.com had issued to me. They canceled the reservation and promised a refund. They then would not allow me to rebook using the coupon. I contacted them by phone and was promised the refund would be made and told me how to use the coupon. I agreed to rebook when the refund was made. One week later I contacted them again by phone and was promised the refund again...nothing happened.

One week later I again contacted them and was told I would receive an email from a supervisor. The supervisor lied about contacting the hotel about the reservation. I contacted the hotel directly and they indicated that they had nothing to do with the cancelation refund, that Hotels.com had the money, not the hotel. I was told on two separate occasions I would get the refund, now they seem to be refusing to refund my money. Terrible customer service, terrible results.

Original review: March 14, 2022

I booked room thru Hotels.com. The room was very dirty. Gave neg review with pictures on website. Received a email saying they couldn't post my review but I could change it. So all reviews seem to be strictly controlled to be positive. They will lose customers after booking bad hotels.

Original review: March 13, 2022

I booked a hotel room on Hotels.com. I never got an email with a confirmation. I checked the app site and they said I didn't have booking. I checked the next day with the same no booking information. I tried many times with the virtual app to get to talk or get a response from something or someone. Then I called and the automated site would not let go further without my confirmation number which I never got an email. I put in my phone number, email and it couldn't find my reservation. I checked the site daily with the same NO response. On the day I was supposed to be at the hotel my credit card got charged the full amount. I checked the app. It still didn't have my information of the booking. I called and still just an automated system. It then it gave me the option to cancel but with a one night charge. Unbelievable!

Original review: March 11, 2022

Booked 2 rooms for a holiday getaway in George for Christmas and ended up in the hospital so we weren't able to go. Called in plenty of time to cancel without penalties & requested BOTH rooms to be cancelled due to being in the hospital. Got confirmation they were cancelled. On the day of the check in we received a call from the hotel asking us to confirm our arrival and we let them know we had cancelled the reservations. They wouldn't help us or cancel the reservations and said we would have to contact Hotels.com.

Spoke to a customer service rep and they said they made a mistake and only cancelled one reservation but had to charge us for the other since we didn't handle it sooner.... You have to ask how that makes any sense but that's their way of stealing money. I have booked a lot of my travels through Hotels.com and I will no longer do so. I hope others will read this and also stop doing business with dishonorable companies who can't own up to their mistakes and do the right thing.

Original review: March 8, 2022

We have used Hotels.com in the past and experienced some hiccups and inaccurate information but this time our experience was a lot different. We called 1 week prior to our trip to amend our stay from a 3 night stay to a 2 night stay realizing our daughter had to get back to school earlier than we expected. When we called to make the change we spoke with a polite young lady who explained she would need to call the property to see about making the change we were unable to do online; when she came back on the phone, after placing us on hold, she told us the changes had been made and that we would be able to contact the hotel for an email confirmation.

My husband called 2 days later to speak with the hotel only to be told that no change had been made, nor any record of any request and that they were unable to make the changes and they we would need to contact Hotels.com. To my husband’s credit, he remained calm and explained the situation and the hotel still instructed us to contact Hotels.com. Feeling a little frustrated over a $400 overcharge and miscommunication, but still calm, he called Hotels.com once again. This time the man we spoke with had a heavy accent, which was hard to understand and he didn’t seem to understand our issue but instead told us there was no way to change our stay and that if we weren’t staying the full 3 days our reservation would be cancelled or charged in full to our card. We explained that we had spoken to an agent before who said the reservation had been changed to 2 days and he kept insisting this wasn’t possible.

We asked to speak with a supervisor 7 times, and each time he said there wasn’t one available and that they would tell us the same thing anyway. Furthermore, the agent told us that we’d have to call back. We asked if we could have a supervisor call us, he said he didn’t know their schedules and we’d have to just keep calling the next day, which was the cut off day to cancel by 9 am. For the record, we tried the chat feature as well and they would not put us through to a supervisor either. Obviously it behooves the agents to not shorten stays or put us through to their supervisors as they are concerned with their monetary credit for the hotel stays. Awful company, awful customer service and extremely shady. Not one we will continue doing business with in the future. Buyer beware!!

Hotels.com Company Information